"Persuasion"

by S

firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

Crane/Nelson


Persuasion
by S


"Chip?"

SSRN SEAVIEW's Executive Officer looked over at the tired figure of Harriman Nelson. The red-haired creator of the mighty submarine had just descended the spiral staircase at a slower-than-usual. "Yes, Sir?"

"Here are the coordinates for the rendezvous. I'm sure we can be there by 0900 tomorrow."

The cerulean blue eyes flickered at the data on the thin sheet of paper. "Absolutely, Sir. I had our course plotted as soon as you gave me those figures once we cleared port."

A blank look crossed Nelson's lined face. "I gave you the coordinates already?"

"Uh, yes sir. We've been rather busy since the Captain isn't aboard so perhaps. . . ."

The older man's blue eyes shuttered over as he grabbed the slip of paper back. Turning he started to head aft then stopped before asking over his shoulder, "You're sure I gave you these figures right after we left Santa Barbara?"

"Yes, Sir. I have it logged if you'd care to check?"

"No, no that won't be necessary. I'll. . .I'll be in my cabin if you need me."

The blond officer watched the man with slumped shoulders disappear through the hatch leading from the control room. Shaking his head, he slowly walked back to the radio shack. "Sparks, has there been a message for the Admiral from Captain Crane?"

"No, Sir. Not a one."

"I see. Would you be sure to let me know if the Captain does send a message?"

"Of course. Are you expecting him to?"

"Uh, no not really, but it's a possibility."

The tall Exec returned to the observation nose of the gray lady. The mission was only 72 hours old and he already had a strange premonition that it would be one to long remember, much as the one when they had encountered U-444, but then SEAVIEW had been under the command of Lee Crane. Now, it was Chip Morton who was acting as captain. Morton had undertaken command duties from time when Crane had been absent for various reasons, but those had been temporary and during the mission itself. This occasion had been unique in that Lee Crane had not been
aboard when the gray submarine had pulled out of her berth at NIMR--and Morton did not know why. Nelson had merely informed him that the Captain had asked for some time off, but he had not told the Exec the reason for Crane's unusual absence.

Adding to the mystery, the usually dynamic whirlwind named Harriman Nelson had seemed distracted during the four days they had been at sea. Indeed, he had remained in his cabin for much of the time and appeared to be living on coffee and cigarettes.

In an effort to determine what was going on, Chip had casually suggested to the CMO that perhaps he should look in on the Admiral. Jamieson had given the Exec a questioning look, but knew that Morton was not a rash man so he had made up an excuse and visited the smoke-filled den. To his dismay he found a stack of half-empty coffee cups on the desk and an ash tray filled with partially-smoked butts.

A few gentle questions had provided no answers until with his more normal vigor, the 4-star admiral had requested that Jamieson either state his business or leave. Annoyed by the tone, Jamie had drawn himself up to his full height before making the observation that it appeared that Nelson was feeling below par and perhaps he should have a check-up.

Nelson had ordered the man out of his cabin. Standing his ground, the doctor had demanded that either Nelson report to sickbay or he would tell Morton that Nelson should be relieved of command. That jab had punctured the redhead's façade of anger as he slumped down into the chair. It was then that he admitted to his friend that he had been sleeping poorly and apologized for his behavior.

After persuading the flag officer to take a mild sedative and lie down in his bunk for some much-needed sleep, Jamieson had then gone forward to the control room to inform the Exec about his meeting with the Admiral. "I don't think there's much to worry about, Chip. He's obviously under some stress and hasn't been sleeping well. I gave him a sedative and with a good night's rest, he'll be fine. In fact, he should be his usual irascible self by tomorrow."

Chip gave Jamie a doubtful smile, but seemed to agree. "That's fine, Doc. I guess it proves that even Harriman Nelson is human."

"Don't let him hear you say that! Anyway, I'll check on him in an hour or so to make sure he's asleep," the older man assured him.

"Thanks, Jamie. I appreciate your help. I'm not. . .I'm not used to being the one to deal with the Admiral's eccentricities."

"I guess you're right. I hadn't thought about it that way. It's usually the Skipper who is the first line of defense when he's upset about something."

"Yeah, I'll be glad when this mission is over. I've never wanted to be captain," the blond admitted.

The dark eyes of Will Jamieson took in the concerned countenance of Chip Morton. "Easy, Mr. Morton, you'll do a fine job. I know the Admiral and the Captain have faith in you."

Morton looked up. "Thanks, Jamie. Don't worry. I'll do my job."

The doctor patted him on the shoulder. "I have no doubt of it. Now, why don't you get some sleep too?"

"Morton gave him another small smile. "I will when my watch is over. Thanks for talking with the Admiral."

"We all have our jobs to do." On that note Jamieson went aft to sickbay while Chip went over to check that Inertial Navigator was working correctly. He knew that Nelson was depending on him to get SEAVIEW to the proper place at the proper time. That bit of navigation certainly didn't bother the Executive Officer. He was well used to asking nearly impossible things from the gray lady as well as of the crew and neither had let him or the other two command officers down. Still, Chip had to admit that there was a certain air of tension on board. He knew that some of the crewmen looked upon the command staff as nearly one entity with one purpose--to successfully complete a mission and then return safely home. Now that one of the trio was absent, Morton fancied he could see a look of doubt in their collective eyes.

Trying to shake off his feelings of foreboding, Morton surreptitiously began to check various pieces of equipment. He didn't want to give any of the men the idea that he didn't trust them to do their assignments properly, but with such sophisticated systems, it didn't take much to throw a wrench into the works as they had experienced so many times at the hands of saboteurs and aliens. After a few minutes, the XO took a deep breath of relief since everything seemed to be operating perfectly and after the rendezvous tomorrow at 0900, they would be on their way back to Santa Barbara where hopefully Lee Crane would be waiting for them and Chip could once again hand over command to the man it rightfully belonged to.

"Mr. Morton?"

The blond looked up to see Kevin Sparks trying to get his attention. After joining the brown-haired radioman, Morton was surprised when the other man handed him the mike to use for the radio. In a quiet voice Sparks informed him that Captain Crane was on the other end and wanted to speak to the Exec. "To me, not the Admiral?"

Kevin nodded.

Chip spoke into the mike with confusion in his eyes. "Lee, is that you?"

"It's me, Chip. How's everything going?"

"Fine. We make our rendezvous at 0900 tomorrow and then we'll start our return."

"Good. Listen, will you tell the Admiral that I probably won't be back to Santa Barbara for at least a week? I've run into some difficulties. I had thought I'd be at the dock to meet your return."

"Don't you want to talk to him yourself?"

For a second there was only silence at the other end then a tense voice just reiterated the message, "No, that's all right. Please just tell him what I said."

"Okay, but are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I'll see you when I get back. Crane out."

Morton handed the mike back to Sparks and then proceeded towards the spiral staircase since he preferred to give Nelson the message in person rather than over the intercom. As he ascended the spiral staircase, a cold shiver ran down his back. There was definitely something amiss between Crane and Nelson and certainly more was involved than just concern about the mission.

Chip Morton stopped in front of the Admiral's door but didn't knock. Doc had said that Nelson should be sleeping now so why wake him just to give him news that he couldn't do anything about? Instead, the Exec decided to go to his own cabin and take a quick shower which might help alleviate the exhaustion he felt after his long hours on duty.

Entering the rather austere space, Chip walked over to his desk where he picked up the picture of Midshipmen Crane and Morton on graduation day from the Naval Academy. To the XO's tired eyes the two men looked so young and dedicated. So much had happened to both of them since that memorable day--not the least of which had been the evening a few weeks after SEAVIEW had nearly been used to destroy the peace ship carrying seven heads of state. Morton had met Crane, Nelson and Tracy Stewart at the dock upon their return, but there had been little opportunity for the two friends to talk privately until the Skipper had asked Morton to meet him at his apartment. Chip had done so and to his astonishment, the Captain had disclosed that he and Harriman Nelson had become lovers in the aftermath of that mission.

Seeing the bewilderment on the Chip's pale face, Lee had confessed his own amazement that they had taken such a step. Obviously, he did not go into detail how it had occurred, but he had mentioned that it had been something to do with Nelson's pretend death during the mission which had allowed both men to profess their feelings for each other.

Speechless, the Exec had just sat there saying nothing until he had caught a glimpse of the concern in the brown-gold eyes. It was then that Morton had pulled himself together to express his happiness for the two men he cared about and his appreciation of Lee's trust in him. That had brought about one of Crane's remarkable smiles and the tension between them had broken.

Thinking about it afterwards, Chip had realized how important it had been to Lee that his best friend had been accepting of the relationship--and it had remained so for the six months since that knowledge had been imparted, but now it appeared that the relationship between the Captain and the Admiral had reached a crisis point which could threaten the stability of the command structure and SEAVIEW herself.

*

A few hours of sleep had done Harriman Nelson a world of good. True, his head still felt stuffy, slightly like that of a man with a bad head cold, but once Jamieson's sedative wore off, he knew that he would be raring to go again. He had been foolish to deny his need for sleep during the past week as he had ruthlessly driven himself--and some of the scientists at NIMR to finish several projects. Then at the worst possible moment a message had come through from the State Department asking Nelson's cooperation for the rendezvous with a People's Republic defector.

With all that on Nelson's mind, Lee Crane's sudden presence at the NIMR labs had almost gone unnoticed. The dark-haired Captain had waited patiently for some time until it had become obvious that he would miss his flight unless he spoke to the Admiral right then. Signaling the scientist once more, the Skipper had seen the look of annoyance on his lover's face, but knew that he had no choice unless he wanted to just leave a message for the man--and knowing Harriman Nelson it might be three days before the note would even be looked at.

Stalking towards the taller man, the Admiral stopped in front of him to ask, "Is there a problem with SEAVIEW? The State Department demands that we leave tomorrow if we're going to make the rendezvous."

"No, Sir, there's no problem. You should be able to leave on time, but I. . .I won't be able to go along. I need some time off."

That had set the redhead off. He needed to know that everything was in the capable hands of Lee Crane and now the man was telling him that he couldn't go on the mission! "Permission denied! You can have your time off after this mission."

Lee twisted the hat in his hands as he lowered his brown-gold eyes. "I'm sorry, Sir. I have to do this. I should be back in time to meet you upon your return."

The blue eyes opened wide. No one defied Harriman Nelson. "Captain, your duty is to SEAVIEW. Just what could be so important that you would neglect to do your duty?"

For one instant Crane started to tell the Admiral exactly what the nature of his request entailed, but then he backed off. Nelson's intransigence had hit a sore spot and the younger man was in no mood to rub salve on the wound. Instead, he stiffened his spine and remarked, "A. . .friend is in trouble and I'm the only one who can help."

"A friend? Lee, I don't understand you. This mission is of vital importance and you have to go hold someone's hand?"

"Sir," Crane replied coldly, "I don't think it's vital that I be in the control room to pick up the defector and his men. Chip can do the job. In fact, he's probably a better choice since Grigov hates my guts."

For a moment there was a look of surprise on the lined face. "I had forgotten that you've met Grigov."

"I wouldn't call being tortured by some of his men exactly meeting him, but I do know he wasn't too pleased when I escaped with that microdot," the Skipper roughly asserted.

Nelson nodded. The ramifications of Lee's ONI mission had been felt for months both in the U.S. and the People's Republic as insults and threats had been traded back and forth--and now one of the most vocal in the condemnation of the U.S. had decided to abandon his country and present his former enemy with many secrets.

"Admiral, if the State Department is right, this mission should go smoothly and you really don't need me there. Besides, I think it's about time Chip is given a chance to show what he can do."

Tersely, the red-haired man gave in. "If you're determined to leave, I suppose I can't force you to stay here. Mr. Morton will do a fine job and the State Department has assured me that nothing can go wrong. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

The 4-star admiral turned but stopped when Lee put one hand on his arm. "Harri. . . I'm sorry about this. I wish you weren't. . . ."

"Have a good trip, Captain. I'll see you when we return."

That had been nearly a week before. As a result of the problems with lab projects, the unexpected mission and Lee's strange behavior, it had been one of the worst periods of the scientist's life, but now after a few hours sleep the red-haired man's outlook had improved. Once Grigov was safely delivered, the flag officer would have a talk with Lee and find out what all the mystery was about. It definitely was unlike his Captain and lover to put something personal over his duty. That was one of the things that had drawn the two together.

Nelson had always been leery of getting involved with anyone because the nature of his work was so demanding, but in Lee Crane he had found a kindred spirit, a man who understood Nelson's dreams and need to do his duty. That their friendship had turned into a more intimate relationship had been satisfying to both of them, but it had not changed the underlying strength of their bond.

Turning on the small coffeemaker, Nelson decided to clean up and then put in several hours of work before sacking out for the night. He knew he could count on Chip Morton to have them at the exact spot necessary at 0900.

Some hours later a light knock at the door to the cabin interrupted the 4-star officer's train of thought as the Exec opened the door tentatively to peer in. "Admiral, I have a message for you from the Captain."

In a monotone voice the redhead inquired, "Yes, what is it?"

"He said that he won't be able to meet us upon our return and expects to need an extra week of leave."

The pencil in the Admiral's hand abruptly cracked in two, but he only replied, "I see."

For one instant the blond hesitated. Discretion demanded a hasty retreat, but when it came to Lee Crane, Chip Morton had often put his neck on the line. "Admiral, I understand that you're upset because Lee isn't along on this trip, but I'm sure he must be doing something important."

Nelson snorted. "Important? He's helping some friend!"

"What? I don't understand."

"You don't understand? I'm up to my eyes in scientific projects and then State wants us to baby sit that maniac Grigov and then the man I depend on for support cuts out on me to go help some friend. For all I know it's an old lover of his!"

Silent tension permeated the smoke-filled air of the cabin before Nelson sheepishly looked at Crane's best friend. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

As cold as ice, the blue eyes stared at the man with the 4 stars. "No, you shouldn't have. If you think that about Lee, why are you even in a relationship with him?"

"I DO NOT intend to discuss my relationship with the Captain. You may be his friend, but you are also acting captain of this vessel and as such you have one responsibility--to make sure we arrive at the rendezvous coordinates on time!"

Morton blanched before murmuring, "Yes, Sir. I forgot my place. I'll go make sure we're on course right now." Without a further word the XO left the Admiral's cabin.

Nelson lit another cigarette. The feeling of well-being had quickly disappeared with the accusatory question that Chip had flung at him. Inhaling deeply, the scientist had to admit that it wasn't likely that his lover was currently unfaithful to him, but there was just enough doubt to escalate the headache now pounding at his head. Why hadn't Lee just told him where and what he was doing? And now to radio and say he wouldn't be available for another week--and to do it through Morton!

Clenching his broad fingers together, he forced himself to his feet and into the bathroom where he opened a bottle of aspirin, shaking out two into his palm. Swallowing them with a minimum of water, he resumed his place at the desk, groaning at the size of the stack of papers still to be gone through.

The Admiral took a deep breath before returning to his task. He had never been one to shirk a responsibility and he didn't intend to let a spat between him and his lover cause a deviation in his plans. At least he could console himself that the NIMR lab problems seemed to be under control, and hopefully once the Grigov pickup was successful then it might be possible for the certified genius to take some time off and relax--with or without Lee Crane at his side.

As night deepened in the Pacific, on board SSRN SEAVIEW the routine of the gray behemoth continued as watches began and ended. Submerged in the depths, it was difficult for anyone to tell the time except for the extremely accurate timepieces she carried. The men of SEAVIEW had adjusted to their artificial world, but even old hands like Kowalski and Patterson could feel the difference in this voyage. Everything seemed slightly out of focus as the boat sailed silently towards the invisible points on the map where Anatoli Grigov and four men waited to be taken to freedom.


(3)

At 0855 the next morning the great submarine came to a stop at the precise coordinates demanded by her creator. At that time the Executive Officer notified Admiral Harriman Nelson that a small vessel had been spotted on the surface. Calmly, the red-haired man had ordered Morton to surface and prepare to receive their visitors.

Even as the deck crew hurriedly took their places to bring aboard the small party, Nelson descended the spiral staircase. He had warred with himself whether he should meet Grigov on deck, but had finally decided that it would not do to appear too eager to see this man who had caused so much misery. While the United States might welcome the knowledge the defector possessed, the fiery redhead despised the man and all he stood for.

While waiting for the passengers to descend the ladder into the control room, Nelson glanced around at his men. The crew appeared slightly nervous even though they had encountered many strange and even dangerous visitors to their domain. At the Admiral's side was Chip Morton, a somber Chip Morton who kept his face a blank even when he caught sight of a woman--a very attractive woman--starting her descent down the runged entrance to the sub.

At the foot of the ladder she stopped, tossing her jet black hair in a coquettish manner before stepping aside to allow the others to follow her down the ladder. Her eyes of deep green took in the position of each man on duty as they contemplated her slender figure in a coverall of sorts. Licking her lips slowly, she moved towards the Admiral. She knew the 4 stars meant that he was in charge, but stopped just short of the stocky man when a very tall, heavy-set man in boots thudded his way to a halt when he awkwardly touched the deck.

Anyone who had ever read the papers would know that the man was Anatoli Grigov, famed for his dedication to his duty and the menacing nature he possessed. Over the years he had epitomized the ruthlessness of the People's Republic in word and deed, and yet now, it would appear that he no longer relished his title, The Interrogator.

Not waiting for the rest of his entourage to join him, Grigov immediately walked over to the Admiral and the Exec. He did not make the mistake of holding out a hand. The granite in the eyes of the two American officers told him that he was welcome for only one reason and it wasn't because of his warm personality. "Admiral Nelson, I am Anatoli Grigov."

"I know. If all of your men," Nelson hesitated before looking over at the woman who looked so small beside the big defector, "if all of your men are aboard, we can set sail immediately. I would prefer not to sit here like sitting ducks."

Grigov nodded his leonine head. "As you wish, sir, but I assure you that no one from my country. . .my former country, has any idea that I am not at my country retreat enjoying some sport."

"Very well, but I prefer to be safe rather sorry. I have arranged for quarters for the men who are with you, however, I was not apprised of the fact that a woman would be coming too."

"Ah yes, I could see that you. . .and your crew are surprised at Marina's presence. I do apologize for any inconvenience, but she simply would not let me leave without her. You do not have to worry. She will share my cabin."

Nelson started. He could not imagine this petite woman sharing anything with such a monster. "If that is what you want, I'm sure there will be no problem. This is my Executive Officer, Mr. Morton. He'll show you to your cabin."

"Excellent!" Grigov breathed through white, straight teeth. "But is your so daring and brave Captain Crane not with you on this. . .voyage? I had hoped to renew my acquaintance with him."

Both Nelson and Morton flinched. Both were well aware about what had happened the last time Lee had been in this man's clutches.

Not wanting to pander to Grigov's prurient interest, Nelson merely stated, "The Captain is not aboard at this time."

"How unfortunate! I'm sure he would have enjoyed throwing it up to me about my change in. . .fortune, however, I'm sure he would have made every effort to keep a stiff upper lip since your government is so. . .anxious for the knowledge I possess."

Nelson ignored Grigov's blatant attempt to taunt them about the situation. Turning to Chip, he requested that the blond take the passengers to their cabins immediately so they could get underway. Watching the party of five men and the one woman go aft, Nelson rubbed at his aching forehead. He could hardly wait until they were safely berthed at Santa Barbara and their so-called guests were turned over to the representatives of the State Department who had engineered the defection.

Not wanting to return to his cabin in case Grigov decided to seek him out, Nelson headed to his lab. Breathing a sigh of relief at its familiarity, the Admiral tried to keep himself busy so that he didn't have to think. The defector's comment about Lee Crane had rankled deeply in Nelson's memory. It had taken the young officer a considerable amount of time to recover from the effects of Grigov's torture and then had come the mission which had echoed of Christie's TEN LITTLE INDIANS.

In the aftermath of that voyage, the professional façade of Lee Crane had slipped when he had confessed the pain he had felt when he had seen Nelson fall to the deck, supposedly receiving a lethal charge from an electrical panel.

Unthinking, the red-haired man had started to protest that Lee knew it was only pretend, but then he remembered the surreptitious caress as the dark-haired commander had covered up Nelson's "dead" body. The mesmerizing look of desire and pain in the brown-gold eyes had finally pierced the Admiral's protective barriers as he had taken the slender man into his arms and told him how he felt about Crane. The Skipper's passionate response had been all that he could have hoped for. From that moment on, the two men had spent all of their free time together, delighting in the freedom to express their feelings for each other.

A glow of happiness flooded the stocky body, only to fade in the memory of that day when Lee had come to him in the lab and said that he needed time off. Realistically, the redhead knew that he had contributed to the problem because of his overwhelming schedule. He had had little time to devote to his lover due to the problems at the labs and also because of his guilt over his growing doubts over their relationship. It wasn't that he had stopped loving Lee Crane, but carrying out the
demanding tasks required of him as Director of NIMR, the creator of SEAVIEW and consultant to Presidents and scientific committees had stretched him to the limit. Nelson had rarely felt the inclination to indulge in outside activities until Lee Crane had entered his intimate life. Now, it had become almost impossible to juggle all of his responsibilities and worst of all, the red-haired officer felt he was short-changing all of them. He knew that something had to give.

A tremor made its way down the compact body as a disconcerting idea entered his imaginative mind. What if Lee had already decided that he didn't want to waste his time loving a man who never had the time for him?

That devastating thought was suddenly interrupted by the creaking of the lab door as it opened slightly. "Admiral Nelson, may I come in?"

The Admiral groaned inwardly. Grigov! "I don't want to seem rude, but there are some important projects that I need to complete."

"Excuse me for bothering you, but I would like to discuss something with you before we arrive in Santa Barbara and will be at the mercy of your State Department."

The scientist relented. "Very well. I suppose we might as well get this over with--since you seem to be so determined."

The heavy-set man gave him a smirking smile. "Admiral, let us be frank with each other. I know you despise me, but frankly I do not care. I served my former country in whatever capacity required of me as you have done for your country. . . ."

Nelson abruptly interrupted. "I have never tortured a man to get information!"

The dark-haired man sneered. "Perhaps not, but not everyone can hide in lofty ideals as you seem to do. We in the People's Republic know much about you and your submarine. We know what you have done in the name of science and the defense of your country. You are not so different from us, except that we are not so hypocritical."

The Admiral's face turned crimson. "That's a lie!"

"Is it? When I had the pleasure of entertaining. . .your Captain, he told me a different story--of course it was under the influence of certain drugs."

"I don't believe you!"

"That's your privilege, however, I assure you that the gallant Captain Crane has serious doubts about some of your methods."

Nelson tensed. "Just what is it that you wanted to talk to me about? I DO have work to do."

"As you probably are aware, your government has agreed to give me asylum in your country along with the four associates who have accompanied me since they too possess information that your Intelligence people would like to obtain." The hard eyes softened slightly before Grigov continued, "However, no provision has been made for. . . Marina. She and I have a. . .close relationship, but she has no secret information which might be a basis for gaining asylum."

"Then why did you ask her to come with you?"

Temper flaring, the defector lashed out, "I told you! She refused to let me come without her and I was. . .flattered so I agreed. Perhaps it was wrong of me," he conceded.

"So what is it you want me to do?"

"I thought that perhaps you might. . .speak up for me. . .and Marina. If you used your influence with the government, they might allow us to be together."

Blue eyes stared at him in disbelief. "Now, why would you think I'd speak up for you?"

For the first time there was a look of doubt in Grigov's face, but it was soon gone as the smooth voice replied, "Perhaps because of your feelings for Captain Crane?"

The lined face blanched as Nelson stammered, "You. . .you're insane."

"Please, Sir. We are men of the world. You forget that I have seen your attractive Captain. He is certainly well worth your attention."

"The Captain and I are merely friends!" Nelson lied.

"Really? Then you do not know that this beautiful young man loves you? He admitted as much under the influence of those drugs I just mentioned."

"I. . .I. . . ."

"Forgive me, Admiral, I had naturally assumed that a man as. . .virile as your Captain would have acted on his feelings, but obviously you are in the dark. I should have realized that a man of your. . .impeccable reputation would never allow himself to become involved in such a sordid affair, no matter how. . .attractive the partner might be. I, on the other hand, have no such worry. I am attracted to Marina. I might even say I love her so I am prepared to offer you something in return
for her being allowed to stay with me."

"What are you offering?"

Grigov's lips curled up in derision. "I thought that might catch your attention. You are so easy to read, Admiral. The beacon of duty almost shines from your eyes. Fortunately, for my former country, not all of your countrymen are so. . .dedicated. They do what they must to survive." Grigov hesitated. "Did you know that I once visited your country? It was then that I learned your language and I have made it a practice to stay fluent in its usage. It frequently came in handy during interrogations."

"I'm sure it did, but let's get down to business. What is it you're offering?"

"If you obtain the guarantee that Marina will be allowed to stay with me, I will give you the newest codes that protect our missiles from detection until the last possible minute."

The blue eyes blinked. He hadn't even known that the People's Republic had such a weapon. "Why. . .why would you do that and how can I trust you?"

"You don't know that you can trust me and as to the why--I can only say that I wish to live out the rest of my life with Marina--in peace. I served my country diligently for many years, but I am not a fool. It was only a matter of time before someone would take my place and I would conveniently disappear. Marina has been. . .admired by some of the most important men in my government and I fear that once I disappeared, she would be at their mercy--if they did not kill her as well."

"I see."

"Do you? Then, I ask that you talk to your President or whoever makes these decisions. I will pay for my asylum with the pre-agreed-upon information, but I will never tell you the codes without her by my side."

The 4-star officer cleared his throat. "Uh, you yourself know that there are many ways of getting information."

The black eyebrows arched. "Are you saying that your so freedom-loving land would authorize the use of torture?"

"You're the one who mentioned drugs!"

"Ah, so I did, however, there are other drugs with which one can be injected that are relatively harmless in themselves, but when combined with other drugs are fatal."

The red-haired man stood there dumbfounded. "Are you saying that you've been given some kind of drug that reacts lethally to truth serums?"

"Exactly. I know that you probably don't believe me, but I would rather face death than be without Marina for the rest of my life."

"You're right, I don't believe you."

"Be that as it may, it is true so if you want the codes, you will do all that you can to insure that Marina stays with me."

Speechless, Nelson stood there for some time. "Very well. I can't promise anything, but I will recommend that. . .Marina be given asylum as well."

"Thank you. Now, I will leave you alone to. . .work." The defector started for the door and then stopped. "I've always prided myself on being ruthless in my duty, but I concede defeat. Beside you, I feel as one of those white puffy things that children like to eat. How terrible it must be not to feel affection for another human being--especially for one who would sacrifice so much as your Captain did." Grigov disappeared through the hatch, closing it behind him.

(4)

Three days later the gray lady gracefully slid into her berth at the NIMR complex. The voyage had gone smoothly, but there had been an almost eerie silence during most of the journey. The passengers had, for the most part, stayed in their cabins, not even venturing forth for meals. One of Grigov's associates would make a stop at the galley and then take the food to the others. Then the same man would return the empty trays to the galley.

While Nelson was extremely happy that he was not required to deal further with Grigov, some of the crew were dismayed as they had hoped to see the lovely Marina again. Naturally, they knew that she was "forbidden fruit", but there was nothing that said they couldn't look. It wasn't every day that such a stunning woman graced SEAVIEW with her presence, but after 24 hours of hopeful waiting, it was obvious to one and all that the raven-haired beauty was not going to become a control room fixture.

Of course, that made things easier for the Exec, Chip Morton, who had been worried by the sight of the beautiful woman. He trusted the men, but generally women on a submarine spelled trouble and at that moment all the blond wanted was to return to Santa Barbara. Morton no longer intended to try breaching the barriers that Nelson had erected around himself. If Lee and the Admiral were having problems, then the Captain could take care of it. Chip was bowing out as peacemaker.

Nelson had sent a radio message to one of his contacts at State to ascertain the official position on Marina's status, but the only reply had been that it would be discussed once Grigov was in custody--and spilling his guts as one of the potential interrogators had divulged. That had made the red-haired scientist smile. He could not imagine Anatoli Grigov doing anything other than carefully measuring and imparting the knowledge he had, let alone spilling his guts!

Just before the gangplank was secured Grigov took one last opportunity to remind the Admiral of his promise. Nelson had flinched, but had once again agreed to do what he could to secure Marina's asylum request, but he could see the fear and resignation in the gray eyes of The Interrogator.

Five minutes later the party of five men and one woman were met at the dock by the State Department representatives, who quickly urged them into black limousines for the trip to a secure place for the beginning of the debriefing sessions.

Leaving Chip to take care of the docking procedures, Nelson hurriedly walked up to his office at the Institute. He couldn't help but glance around, still hoping to see Lee Crane there, but of course he wasn't.

As always, Angie greeted her boss cheerfully and began to bring him up-to-date with what had happened during his absence. Some things never changed in Harriman Nelson's life.

Sighing with dismay at the number of papers in his inbox, Nelson decided to clean up first. One of the few perks he allowed himself was the large, powerful shower in his executive bathroom. The special jets were frequently called upon to give his stocky, aching body a watery massage which would help to rejuvenate tired muscles. Of course, this time it wasn't so much his body that was aching, but his soul.

Emerging from the shower, Nelson redressed in his rumpled uniform before walking to his desk to begin the monumental task of reducing the papers there. He had been at it only a few minutes when he was startled by the videophone coming into operation. On the screen was Thomas Blair,
the man at State who had been his liaison for the Grigov pick up. The man looked like he had been the victim of a brutal blow.

"Admiral, I'm glad you're there. Grigov has escaped."

"What?"

"We were expecting him to appear at the safe house to begin debriefing over an hour ago, but he hasn't shown up. We immediately began a search and found the limousines, abandoned at the edge of a small airfield just outside town."

"I don't understand. Were your agents alive to tell you what happened?"

"That's the worst part. Our agents were not found at the site.. We're afraid they may have been killed by Grigov's bodyguards. Obviously, this whole thing was a set-up from beginning to end."

Nelson sat there speechless for only a moment. "I assume you have sent out an alert for a plane?"

"Of course. We'll do all we can to get him back, but right now it appears that Grigov and his priceless information are gone."

"I. . .I understand."

"I just wanted to let you know. You and your crew did your part and the President is grateful. Now it's up to us. Goodbye, Admiral."

The 4-star officer heard nothing more during the next three days. Obviously, it was not the kind of news that the government would want to spread around, but finally the scientist could not be patient any longer so he put in a call to Blair, who confirmed that Grigov and his party had disappeared completely. Naturally, he insisted that they would continue to search, but the redhead could tell from the despair in Blair's voice that he had little hope of ever finding the man. The
only positive note seemed to be that the agents who had met Grigov's party at the SEAVIEW dock had been found alive and unhurt. They had been caught off-guard by a party of men who had rendered them unconscious before leaving them in an abandoned building.

For the next two days Harriman Nelson barely left his office, except to stop by the labs to check on the progress of certain projects. He was even content to spend the night on the rather uncomfortable couch placed there just for that purpose. Angie did her best to coax the red-haired man out of his doldrums, but finally she too gave up. It just wasn't worth bearding the lion's den too often. On Friday evening, just before she departed for the weekend, the brunette entered her boss's office with an envelope which had just been delivered by messenger service. After asking if the Admiral needed anything else, she departed, leaving the man to his seemingly unending work.

The scientist ignored the envelope for some time until finally his pounding head and the tension in his neck muscles cried out for relief. Deciding that a hot shower and a liberal measure of Irish
whisky were in order, the stocky man stood up to stretch, only to catch sight of the envelope. His curiosity finally raised, he slit open the flap to find a single sheet of paper.

Hands shaking, he began to read. It was from Grigov.


"Admiral Nelson,
By now you know that I have escaped from your country. I never had any intention of betraying my country's secrets to your government, but I needed your magnificent submarine and your cooperation to find a measure of safety for myself and my colleagues. Hopefully, we will now be able to live out the rest of our lives in peace.

I'm sure that right now your so-expressive face is filled with contempt for my lies, including the one about the codes, but it seemed the only way to be free. I did not lie about the fact that there are many in my country who would like to see me dead, but I knew your country would not take me in if I refused to impart my secrets and I could not take the chance that your government would use Marina against me to force me to betray my country.

As long as I have decided the truth, I might as well confess another thing. Your Captain did admit that he had feelings about you under the influence of the drugs, but he offered no criticism of your
methods, except to say that you were sometimes too audacious in your pursuit of knowledge. He is indeed a loyal and brave man and I regret what I had to do in connection with his capture. You will not believe that, but it is true.

I am fortunate that a few of my faithful friends and my beloved Marina have decided to share my fate with me--and I am content in that. I hope that one day you will be able to say the same. A.G."


The stunned scientist read and reread the note. Grigov had fooled everyone. He had never intended to defect to the West. He had only wanted to escape from his homeland and he had used SEAVIEW to do it. Shaking his head at the way he had been taken in, not to mention other government officials, Nelson crumpled the note before tossing it in the wastebasket. He knew he would have to notify State later, but he wasn't in a hurry to admit how they had all been misled.

Stripping off his clothes, he headed to the shower. The pounding spray helped to loosen up the strained muscles, but it could not blot out the thoughts in the brilliant mind. Harriman Nelson did not like to lose and he had lost big time. His whole world seemed out of kilter and at that moment, he truly wasn't sure how to put it right.

After drying off, the red-haired man put on an old sweat suit he kept at the office for comfort. He couldn't be bothered to go up to the penthouse for other clean clothes. Then he headed back into the office for the drink he had promised himself. To his amazement, Lee Crane was sitting there waiting for him.

"Lee! I thought. . .Chip said you wouldn't be back for another few days?"

"I. . .I decided to come back early. Now, what's this about Grigov escaping?"

"How did you hear about that? State is keeping it under wraps."

The handsome face flushed. "There was a note waiting for me at my place. It was from Grigov."

"What?"

"It mentioned how he had used you and SEAVIEW to get away from his country."

"Now, why would he tell you that? I thought the two of you were mortal enemies."

"Admiral, the why isn't relevant anymore. I just thought. . .I just thought I'd ask if there was anything I could do."

Nelson shook his head. "This is now State's responsibility. I'll be happy if I never have to hear Grigov's name again!"

"I understand. Very well. I'll go back to my place and clean up. When do you want me to report for duty--that is if you still want me to be in command?"

The scientist sat down on the corner of his desk, staring at his friend. "Of course, you're still in command. Why wouldn't you be?"

"After I. . .after I failed to do my duty to you and SEAVIEW, I thought you might prefer to have Chip take over."

The redhead flinched. "Lee, I think we have a great deal to talk about, but this is not the place to do it. Would you come with me to the penthouse?"

The brown eyes searched the lined face for a clue to the thoughts of the brilliant man, but finally, Lee conceded. "All right. Let's go talk."


EPOLOGUE

The ride in the elevator up to the penthouse was made in absolute silence as both men tried to marshal their thoughts and defenses. In the end, as usual, Crane deferred to the Admiral to begin the conversation. After all it was the older man who had said that they needed to talk.

Through lowered lashes, Lee glanced over at the red-haired man. In the sweat suit, he hardly looked like the 4-star genius that he was. While never a vision of sartorial splendor--except in dress uniform--Harriman Nelson had always presented an intriguing figure which had influenced the high and mighty in business and government. Men and women listened to him and for the most part he had never led them astray with false promises or words meant to placate. He told the truth as he saw it and they could take it or leave it. In many ways, the man was an anachronism, especially in the military world which delighted in the macho front, but hedged their bets due to the influence of civilian control.

As a civilian scientist Harriman Nelson had not lost the forthrightness which had made him legendary, but in the real world he had learned to play the game when dealing with those in the military and government. The good-will of the powers that be was essential for SEAVIEW and NIMR to survive. Unfortunately, that sometimes meant undertaking missions such as the one with Grigov and its consequences.

After sitting down on the couch across from Lee Crane, the sapphire eyes carefully took in the slender man opposite. Quietly, he asked, "Lee, why did Grigov send you a message? I can understand why he would want to flaunt his cleverness to me, but why you?"

"Admiral, I'd rather not talk about Grigov if you don't mind. That's not a period of my life I enjoy remembering."

"Perhaps so but he did mention your name a few times while he was on board. He seemed to have a measure of. . .respect for your skills as an agent."

"Respect?" The firm lips curled up in derision. "I think he took great delight in humiliating me. The. . .torture wasn't so bad. I'm used to that, but then he used drugs. . . ."

Nelson nodded. "Lee, you shouldn't be concerned about that. There isn't anyone who could stand up to interrogation under the influence of certain drugs for very long."

"I know. It's just. . .it's just that the questions. . .the questions were more personal, nothing to do with my objective at all."

"Personal?"

The young man nodded before closing his eyes to lean back against the back of the chair. "He was a master at taking me apart. The trouble is I'm not sure he put me back together again--at least not the way I should have been."

"You're not making sense."

The brown-gold eyes fixed on those of blue. "He got me to confess how I feel about you. Of course, that was before you and I became. . .involved, but he seemed determined to have me admit that you were my lover. I kept telling him it was all on my part, but he kept saying that all I had to do was admit that you were involved in a homosexual affair with me and he'd let me go!" Lee's eyes dropped to his slender hands. "I couldn't do that. It wasn't true then, but even if it had been I would never have admitted it. I couldn't let him destroy you so he just kept pumping me full of that stuff. Then for some reason he stopped. It wasn't long after that I escaped."

"Well, I don't think we have to worry about Grigov anymore. He seems to have gone to ground."

"How can you say that? You. . .you don't know him! He's probably just waiting for the right moment to wreak revenge."

Nelson rose to pour himself a drink. "I suppose it's a possibility, but I don't intend to fixate on it. I think he'll be content in his new life with that woman Marina."

The brown-gold eyes flared open. "Marina? She was with him?"

"Yes. He said she chose to accompany him. Why? Do you know her?"

"She's the one who helped me escape."

"What? How?"

"That's the worst part because I'm not sure. One night she came to the cell where they kept me. I guess the drugs still weren't out of my system because everything was cloudy, but she told me that she had arranged for me to leave and that I would be met by friends. All I remember for sure is that husky, rasping voice of hers. Every word seemed to cause her pain."

"Now that you mention it, I never heard her say a word the whole time she was on SEAVIEW."

"Anyway, she kept her word and the next thing I remember is a boat with someone who took care of me and then I was met by an ONI agent. The rest you know."

"That doesn't make sense. If she was on our side, why would she be willing to go into exile with Grigov?"

The Skipper hesitated. "I don't think politics had anything to do with it."

"What do you mean?"

The Captain rubbed his aching forehead before answering. "I guess I might as well tell you the truth. You can't feel much more contempt for me than you already do." Taking a deep breath, Lee continued. "Marina is Grigov's male lover. I believe he dresses and acts as a woman because the People's Republic would never have let Grigov obtain his position if it was known that he was queer."

"That's impossible! How could you know that?"

"When Marina came to my cell, I was really out of it. I must have attacked. . .him because I remember his being under me and. . .and I felt his genitals. I don't exactly know what happened after that except that he told me about the escape plan."

The Admiral sat there stunned. "But that still doesn't explain why this. . .Marina, male or female, would help you."

"I can. . .think of a reason."

"Reason?"

The dark-haired man stood up and without even asking permission went over to the whisky bottle to pour a large measure of the amber drink which he downed thirstily. In a low voice, almost a whisper, he began to speak. "During the interrogation, Grigov made it obvious that he was. . . interested in me. I guess he thought if I could have feelings for you, why not him?" Sighing, he admitted, "Or maybe it was just lust. Of course, I didn't know about Marina then."

"Did he. . . .?"

Flushing, Lee quickly answered, "No, he seemed content with a few gropes or maybe he was just trying to break down my defenses. Then one day he started using his hand, but I didn't. . .couldn't get an erection, probably because of the drugs. He slapped me which really seemed to turn him on. Since my arms and legs were secured, there was nothing I could do to stop him as he continued to hit me. I think he might have kept on until I was dead, but then I heard the door open. My one eye was swollen shut, but I could just make out. . .Marina. She went over to him and. . .took him into her mouth. It seemed to take forever, but then he gave a huge scream and came. I. . .I must have passed out because when I woke up I was back in my cell alone, but that was just the first of several times they. . .used me that way."

"My God!"

A massive shudder passed through the slender body.

Nelson walked over to put his arms around Lee who flinched and moved away. "I don't need your pity!"

The redhead appeared to be stunned. "Pity? Is that what you think I feel?"

"Admiral, I really don't want to talk about this anymore. I admit thatwe made a mistake in getting involved. If possible I'd like to go back to just being colleagues as we were before I let my emotions get out of hand, but if you can't stand the thought of my being in command, I'll resign."

"You don't mean that!"

"Hell yes, I mean that! It's pretty obvious that whatever lust you felt for me when we first started this has faded anyway. Why do you think I wanted some time off? I couldn't face Grigov after knowing what he did to me! But all you could see was my duty!"

"You should have told me the truth. I would never have expected you to. . .to. . . ."

"Don't you think I have any pride? I couldn't tell you. I'm not strong like you. I can't just turn off everything and do my job."

"Lee. . . ."

The dark head whipped around. "Admiral, you asked why Grigov would send me a note." Taking a piece of paper from his pocked, he held it out. "Here, read it! Maybe that will answer your questions!" Shoving a sheet of paper into Nelson's stocky hand, Lee raced for the door, slamming it with force.

Harriman Nelson unfolded the sheet.

 

"Captain Crane,
Marina has told me the truth about your escape. At first I was most angry that she would let personal feelings prevent me from doing my duty, however, after she confessed her jealousy about my attentions to you, I decided to forgive her. I have discovered that I am not the strong man I once believed. For whatever reason, I need Marina as you professed to need Nelson.

After meeting your Admiral, I could understand the attraction, but I give you this warning. You will never be the primary concern of his life. If you cannot accept that then do not continue to pursue him as he will destroy you.

I realize such advice must be odious coming from your enemy, but sometimes an enemy is more willing to tell you the truth than even the best of friends. A.G."


THE END


*There is a possibility of a short sequel to this.