Fic: "More Than One Clock"

By S

firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

Anniversary challenge

This is a WHN for "Turn Back the Clock".



More Than One Clock

By S


"Melina Gonares!" breathed the handsome dark-haired sailor. "How wonderful to see you again. You're looking prettier than ever."

The dark-eyed Greek woman quickly took in the sight of her rescuer of some months before. "Ah Mr. Glenn, you don't think I look like a little old lady on a world cruise then?"

The two young people laughed with pleasure at the memory of the successful outcome of their first treacherous encounter. It had been a close-run thing, but now Melina was in the United States visiting relatives and hoping to become better acquainted with SEAVIEW's personable Captain.

Taking their seats at a table, Lee and Melina gave their orders to the hovering waiter nearby. Crane had chosen a seafood restaurant on Santa Barbara's wharf so that there was a cool breeze despite the heat of the day. "I hope you like the food here. Perhaps you've had enough seafood what with our struggles with Zeraff?"

"Nonsense, Lee. I love seafood and this is a beautiful restaurant as is Santa Barbara. I'm so glad you invited me to meet you."

For a moment the Skipper remained awkwardly silent. There was so much he wanted to say and wasn't quite sure how to do it. Finally, he settled on a safe topic. "Have you enjoyed meeting your relatives? I know you said they were from your. . .father's side of the family."

"Yes, I am staying with my uncle and his family. Papa was his brother. They all were so sad to hear about what happened to Papa, but I have been made to feel most welcome."

"That's wonderful. I. . .I was worried after I left you that day." A spark of anger flashed in the young woman's dark eyes which Lee couldn't fail to notice. "Not that I don't think you can't take care of yourself," he hastily continued, "but I didn't like thinking of you all alone."

The anger left the beautiful eyes. "I was lonely for a time, but Papa would not want me to grieve too long."

"You're a remarkable woman, Melina, and I'm not just saying that because you carry a mean speargun!"

Melina batted her eyelashes provocatively but with a smile on her face. "Why thank you, Sir, but why don't you tell me how Harriman Jones and the crew of your submarine are doing?"

"Oh the Admiral is fine. He's always fine. Busy as ever, trying to save the world."

"And the handsome blond I met briefly?"

"Chip? He's fine too. We're all just waiting for word about another mission. As soon as it's a go, I'll be off to the Antarctic."

Melina gave an unconscious shiver. "I do not like cold places. I have lived all my life where it is warm although we do have periods where it turns cold but that is mainly in the mountains. That is one reason I am happy that my relatives do not live in what-is-it--North Dakota?"

"You're right, it does get mighty cold there, but this area is warm most of the year around. I know you'll enjoy it."

"I'm sure I will. I may even decide to stay if I could get permission since I am here on a visitor's visa."

"That would be great." Before Lee could make another comment their food arrived so the two hungry people dug into their spanakopita, braised lamb and grape leaves with a will. They had just finished their baklava when the Captain received a phone call which he took at the table. Listening for a few moments, he then hung up, his face grim. "Sorry, Melina, I'm going to have to leave. That was the Admiral. I have to go pick up Carol Denning and then fly to Maryland."

"Carol Denning?"

"She's a friend of mine and the Admiral's. Her father and boyfriend were lost on an expedition to the Antarctic. Now it turns out that her boyfriend has been discovered alive and well so there's a chance that her father might be too."

"Oh, I do hope so," she breathed, but at least she will have you--and the Admiral to watch out for her."

"Oh, she's another woman like you who doesn't need someone to look out for her. She's more than capable of looking out for herself."

"Still, it is good to know that someone is with you who cares."

Lee looked directly into the eyes of the beautiful young woman. "You're right. Everyone needs to know that someone cares. Now, I'd better go. The Admiral will have my head if I don't get there right away. Let's get a taxi."

"Do not worry about me, Lee. I believe I will walk along the waterfront for a time. I will call my cousin."

"You're sure?"

"Absolutely. Please tell Miss Denning that I wish her well in her search for her father."

The Skipper threw some money on the table, kissed Melina's cheek and dashed out to get his red convertible so that he could head to Carol Denning's house.

It had not taken Carol Denning long to pull herself together after receiving the startling news that her boyfriend, Jason Kemper had been found alive after nearly nine months in the Antarctic, but then as Crane had told Melina, Carol was a strong, capable woman which proved to be fortunate in the days that followed.

Nelson, as usual, let little time pass before mounting a rescue mission to the Antarctic where they found out the terrible truth about how Jason Kemper had managed to survive and at what cost. While Kemper had made up for his selfishness by sacrificing himself, it still had left a scar on Carol's heart. Fortunately, the recovery of Carol's father, Dr. Denning, meant that the young woman would not have to go through the aftermath alone.

On board SEAVIEW the survivors of the ordeal had watched as the oasis in the ice blew up, their thoughts focused on what might have been. Dr. Denning had declared the mission to be a waste and that they had gained nothing, but ever to the point Harriman Nelson had pointed out that they
had their lives. On that note the great submarine had slid back into the polar depths.

During the days that followed, the two Denning's and Nelson had ample time to talk about what happened. It was a long way from Antarctica to Santa Barbara even with SEAVIEW's nuclear capacity. Denning and Nelson spent a great deal of time in Nelson's lab discussing the project that had ended so tragically, especially the loss of two members of the NIMR staff while Carol wandered about the gray lady taking pictures of crew members to the delight of all. She had even promised to have them developed quickly so that they could be sent to family members upon their arrival.

Ski and Pat insisted on having their picture taken together so that one could be sent to Patterson's father and another to Kowalski's family. Carol had delighted in Ski's flirtation with her. Naturally, he was subtle since he didn't want to bring down the Admiral's wrath on his head, but it was obvious to the young woman that the good-looking crewman wasn't serious. Flirting with a pretty girl was as natural to Ski as breathing.

After taking the pictures, Carol made for Lee Crane's cabin where she knocked and immediately entered. As usual, the Captain was dealing with paperwork when he was not on duty in the control room. "Carol, what brings you here? I thought you were compiling a rogue's gallery of pictures?"

"Indeed, I am Captain Crane, however, I am missing a few characters--namely you! In fact, I think you've been avoiding me. The only time I see you is at dinner."

Lee glanced up at the attractive woman. "Carol, I'm sorry if you think I've been ignoring you, but I do have responsibilities to take care and well, I thought you'd want to be with your father right now."

Carol's dark eyes softened. "Lee, my father and I will have plenty of time to be together when we get home. I don't have the opportunity to see you very often--no matter what Jason might have thought."

At the mention of her late boyfriend, the Skipper gasped slightly. He hadn't wanted to bring up the touchy subject. "Carol, you must know how sorry I am about how it all turned out."

The photographer came around the desk to face the officer. "Lee, I appreciate all you did to help me while my father and. . .Jason were gone. It isn't your fault that Jason wasn't the man I thought he was."

"No, but. . . ."

"Lee! It will take some time, but I will get over what Jason did. The ironic thing is that he used that poor native girl just as much as me. He must have been miserable about his deceptions."

A look of doubt flickered in the brown-gold eyes of Lee Crane.

Carol's own eyes narrowed. "Well, perhaps not," she conceded, "but he did sacrifice himself for us so he couldn't have been entirely selfish."

Lee rubbed one hand through his black hair. "I guess you're right. A man can do strange things when he's scared."

"Not Lee Crane!"

A slight smile crossed the handsome Captain's face. "And what does that mean?"

"Everyone knows that Lee Crane is afraid of only one thing."

"And that is?"

"Not doing his duty and bringing the wrath of Harriman Nelson down on his head!" Carol candidly remarked.

Rubbing one ear, the Skipper agreed. "Have you ever seen him when he's angry? He could take on the People's Republic single-handedly."

"Well, I'm sure Chip would protect you."

"Chip?"

"Lee Crane, surely you aren't going to tell me that your Executive Officer doesn't consider it his mission in life to make things easier for you? I heard him tell Nelson that you needed some time off when we get back because you were tired."

"He did what?" Crane jumped to his feet.

"Relax. He was very polite, but firm. In fact, I think he has a point. You do look like you haven't slept in a week."

"I haven't. We have been under some stress you know!"

Carol took one of Lee's slender hands in her own. "I know this mission has disturbed all of us, but we'll get through it--that is if you still want to spend some time with me?"

The brunet's face blanched. "Carol, you know I'm your friend and I'd be more than happy to spend some time with you, but well, I might as well tell you the truth. I'm interested in someone."

"Interested? Romantically?"

Crane nodded.

"That's wonderful," the young woman breathed. "I hope you'll be happy together."

"We. . .there are problems so nothing has been settled."

Without hesitation, the young woman asserted, "I hope it works out. You deserve happiness."

"Are you. . .are you sure you don't mind?"

Carol gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Lee, we will always be friends and I enjoyed our dates, but I think we both know that it was nothing serious. I wish you only happiness."

"Thanks, Carol. You're the best."

"Well, I'm certainly the best photographer. Now, I intend to take your picture so you can give it to that special someone of yours and if it gets serious, I want you to let me know. Okay?"

A shy smile flashed across the tired face of the handsome officer. "I only hope that there'll be something to let you know. I. . .I'm not sure we'll ever be together."

Carol Denning, who had always seen Lee Crane as the most confident of men, hesitated before answering, "Lee, if you want it enough it will work out."

"I hope so. Now, let me go clean up a bit and then you can take my picture if you want. I just hope your camera's insured."

Carol Denning watched as the dark-haired man headed into the bathroom. **Hmm, I think I should talk with Chip. I wonder if he knows who this mystery woman is?**


The End