Title: Loving Roy Park

Author: Carol

Email: wsh2@webtv.net

Pairing: Lee/?

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters; no infringement intended.

Notes: This story deals with a three episode arc: Menfish; Return of the Phantom, and Monster From The Inferno

 

Loving Roy Park
By Carol


It was obvious that Roy Park was happy to be on board the Seaview, that is - it was obvious until he found out that Dr. Borgman was going to be on board to do his menfish experiments. The hostility that he showed Borgman was apparent, but Lee Crane had enough to worry about since his beloved Admiral Harriman Nelson was not on board for this mission.

Lee Crane had often acted as the ADC for Nelson when he had attended other scientific conferences, but this time, Seaview was expected to be the laboratory for the menfish experiments, and so Crane was unable to act as Nelson's aide.

The days that followed the beginning of the mission caused Lee Crane a great deal of anxiety. Crane had always admired Roy Park. The four star Admiral reminded him a great deal of his own four star genius, Admiral Harriman Nelson. Both men were stocky, didn't suffer fools gladly, and were totally dedicated to the causes of their country and science.

Crane could not understand why Admiral Park would often defer to Borgman, who Park obviously disliked. Even when the crewman had died under mysterious circumstances, Park refused to cancel the mission. Why would Park countenance such behavior? Crane kept thinking that if Admiral Nelson were there ? this nonsense would cease immediately.

Borgman's attempts to control Crane by threatening Park finally explained Park's strange behavior and following Borgman's death, the Seaview seemed to return to normal.

Crane recalled fondly Park's comment about not being sure how he was going to explain what had happened on the recent voyage and smiled to himself when he thought about his own comment that he was sure that Admiral Park would find Admiral Nelson very understanding. ***I'm sure glad that I don't have to explain the menfish to Admiral Nelson. Of course, Admiral Park is a good friend of Admiral Nelson's so there shouldn't be too many fireworks!*** Grinning again to himself, Crane rushed to go on deck to greet Admiral Nelson and say good-bye to Admiral Park.

When Crane reached the bridge, he found Admiral Park there already with Chip Morton. The two men were talking pleasantly. "Ahhh, Admiral Park, are you anxious to leave us so quickly?"

"Captain. No, no, I just was waiting for Admiral Nelson. Sort of bearding the lion in his den - if you know what I mean?

Crane laughed and commented, "I believe I do. I've had to beard that lion a few times, myself."

Seeing the limosine of Harriman Nelson approach the three men waited for the charismatic and dynamic officer to walk up the gangplank. Smiling at all three, Harriman Nelson shook hands with Roy Park and nodded at the other two. "Roy, good to see you. How did everything go?"

Leading the three men below to the Observation Nose, Roy Park noticeably cleared his throat, but within minutes had succinctly explained the creation of the men fish, the use of forced victims, and the death of Borgman. Quiet settled over the four men, but finally, Harriman Nelson spoke up. Well, I never dreamed that this would happen. I wish I had known about the problems that you had had with Borgman before. I probably would have refused the Seaview's help all together. Just think of the lives damaged or lost because I didn't do more research or ask you what you knew about that jackle.

"It wasn't your fault, Admiral. Besides, Borgman's dead now and HansJorg has restored the health of most of the victims." Lee Crane definitely did not like his Admiral feeling guilty about something he couldn't control.

"I know, Lee, but it's my duty as a scientist to be responsible in all projects we undertake. I'm sorry, Roy that you had to undergo Borgman's cruelty as well. I hope this doesn't convince you to never help me again."

"Oh, don't worry about that, Harri. Now, I better get going. I'm sure there must be a ton of papers piled up on my desk, and I'm anxious to get back to my lab."

Shaking hands with all three men, Park stopped in front of Lee Crane. "Captain, I can't really say that I enjoyed the entire voyage, but you have a great boat here, and I would love to come back if you'll have me?"

Lee Crane smiled. Anyone who praised his ship pleased Lee Crane, but Crane found himself liking the man more and more, anyway. "Of course, Sir. Anytime you like - you don't have to wait for Admiral Nelson's invitation. The welcome sign is always out," Crane said with a mischievous smile on his face.

"Well, thank you, Captain. I might take you up on that. By the way, I want you to know - and notice that I have making this offer, in front of your boss - anytime that I go to a conference or whatever, I would be very pleased to have you along as my ADC."

"Well, thank you again, Admiral. I'll certainly keep that in mind."

"Hey, now wait just a minute, Roy. My Captain will be way too busy to carry around your papers at some conference that you're attending so that you can show your erudition." Nelson took the sting out of this statement by smiling and patting his long-time friend on the back.

"Hmmmm! Is that what you have the Commander do when he's your ADC at a conference, Harri? Goodness knows, I've seen you bring him along to several of them, but I never dreamed that all he did was carry papers."

"Well, as the paper-carrier, I can definitely testify that I had lots more to do than just carry papers. When Admiral Nelson goes to a conference, he is a veritable tornado of activity and his schedule alone keeps me busy," Crane said, looking fondly at the red-haired genius.

Everyone laughed. "Roy, take my limo back to the Institute parking lot, and once again, thanks so much for your help. I sure hope your next mission with us, doesn't have a mad scientist involved."

"Oh, but Harri, don't you know that that is what some people say about you?"

Harriman Nelson gave one of his enthusiastic laughs, putting his arm around his friend's shoulders. The two men walked together through the Control Room; Nelson escorting his friend off the ship.

When Nelson returned, he was still smiling. "I'm glad that you get along so well with Admiral Park, he's one of my dearest friends. It means a great deal to me that you and he seem to work well together."

Crane smiled his million dollar smile. "No problem about that, Sir. He reminds me a great deal of you. I like him very much, and I certainly hope I can get some time to act as his ADC."

"Whoa there, Captain. Have you forgotten that as soon as this shore leave is over, we head for the South Pacific?"

"How could I forget that? After all, we're heading for the area where Captain Krueger made his appearance. Thank goodness, we won't have to worry about him anymore."

Crane turned and walked away, but if he had chosen that moment to look at his Admiral, he would have noticed his friend's pale, worried face. Clearly, Nelson was not as convinced that there was nothing more to be heard from Captain Krueger. Quietly, more to himself than anyone in the Control Room, Nelson whispered, "Yes, I certainly hope so my love, I would hate to think what would happen if Krueger appeared again."

END PART 1