Title: Losing Everything

Author: Carol

wsh2@webtv.net

Fandom: Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Pairing: Lee Crane/Chip Morton/Harriman Nelson

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters; no infringement intended.

Note: This is intended just as a short story which would take place after the episodes, SUBMARINE SUNK HERE and NO WAY BACK.


Losing Everything
by Carol


Lee Crane did not feel well. In fact, his recent cold had made him feel so bad that Will Jamieson had refused to certify him fit for duty on the next mission. Normally, Crane would have fought tooth and nail to be on board his beloved SEAVIEW; after all, he took his command responsibilities very seriously.

It seemed strange to stay at home when the beautiful gray lady had departed on her recent mission. Crane, in fact, was feeling so bad that he decided, even though SEAVIEW was due to return to port later that day, to take some of the medicine that the Doctor had prescribed.

Crane crawled into bed after forcing the medicine down his very sore throat. He felt hot then cold, but finally total exhaustion caused him to finally fall asleep.

Within minutes, Crane began to squirm around in the sweat-soaked bed. He threw off bed covers due to the heat in his body, trying to throw off his pajama top as well. Suddenly, his confused mind woke to the sound of the telephone ringing. His response time being seriously hampered by the medicine taken, he finally found the phone and answered, "Hello."

"Lee, it's Angie." Crane could tell that she was crying. Suddenly, Crane was in total command mode.

Sitting up straight in bed, he demanded, "Angie, what is it?"

"Oh Lee, it's the SEAVIEW. She . . . exploded with all hands lost."

Crane sat there stunned. Finally, pulling himself together, he asked, "How . . . are you sure?"

"A radio message was sent . . .something about sabotage and then an explosion was heard. We haven't been able to contact them since."

Crane dropped the phone. ***They're gone. . . they're both gone. The crew, no, no, no!***

Crane sank into oblivion.

As Chip Morton rushed through the front door of the apartment, he could still hear his lover crying out in distress. Rushing into the bedroom, he took the slender figure into his arms and held him.

"Sssh, Lee, it's all right. Everything's okay. It's just been a nightmare. Take it easy."

Crane heard the beloved voice as he fought to open his leaden-feeling eyelids. "Chip, you're all right?"

Blue eyes looked into the gorgeous hazel eyes, seeing the terror there. "Of course, I am. When you weren't there to meet us at the dock, I knew something was wrong so I rushed over here. What was it, sweetheart?"

Tears flowed down the beautiful face. "Oh Chip, I dreamt that the SEAVIEW exploded with all hands lost. I lost you." Crane continued to cry into the hollow above Morton's collarbone, his slender body wracked with shivers.

"What's wrong?" Morton looked up to see four star Admiral Harriman Nelson standing in the doorway.

"Lee had a nightmare that the ship was lost. He's really shaken up."

The red-haired Admiral immediately rushed over to the other side of the bed and sat down. Crane immediately rose up and threw himself into the arms of the older man. "Oh Admiral, I was so afraid. I thought I had lost you both. I felt such horror and loneliness. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to die."

The red-haired genius looked lovingly at the obviously distraught young man. Leaning over and kissing his on his forehead as well as lips, the Admiral tried to comfort the shivering body.

"Chip, maybe you better call Jamie. Lee feels pretty warm. His cold must be worse."

Chip looked with great concern at his lover and nodded, but as he tried to rise from the bed, Crane threw out his arm and stopped the blond man. "No, don't leave me; I need you here. I need you both here."

The blond and the redhead shared a look between them; then they gently moved the brunet to the center of the bed. Each man removed his outer clothing and then snuggled in on both sides of the now very sleepy Captain.

In a very groggy voice Lee Crane muttered, "I want you both to stay with me. Promise me, . . . promise me, you won't ever take the SEAVIEW out again without me - no matter what. Promise me. I couldn't stand to lose you two."

Both men cuddled closer to the beautiful man who needed them both so much. Each man leaned over and kissed the forehead of the brunet who was very close to being asleep.

"You don't ever have to worry, Lee. We won't ever leave you alone again. Even if you are sick; we'll drag you along."

Nelson smiled at the blond and echoed his sentiments. "That's right, Lee - we'll always take good care of each other. You know how much we love you."

The two men noticed that Crane was now resting peacefully, secure in the safe arms of his lovers. Just before the two men fell asleep, cuddled up next to Crane, each thought almost the same thing.

***Now you know Lee how I felt when the SEAVIEW sank off New London with the two of you on board and only the diving bell could save you.***

***Now you know Lee how I felt when I got the wireless message that SEAVIEW had blown up with all hands lost. No wonder I jumped at the chance to get you back even though I had to make a deal with Mr. Pym. At least, he gave both of you back to me."

With those thoughts, all three men sank into a deep sleep without any nightmares invading their sleep.


THE END