Beams In The Night

by S

firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

Anniversary Challenge

This is a WHN for "The Magnus Beam."

Beams In The Night

by S
VVVVVV



"Admiral, is there anything else you need before I go on shore leave?"

Harriman Nelson looked up at the tall blond. "I'm fine. I just want to finish this paperwork then I think I'll go up to the penthouse for awhile." The red-haired man hesitated, "Are you planning to go
back to the Captain's apartment to see how he's doing?"

"Yes, sir, but I have plans for later so I'll probably only stay for a few minutes. He didn't seem to want much company when I took him there after we docked."

Nelson nodded. In the aftermath of the beating that Lee Crane had taken at the hands of General Gamal's men in Ruskandaara, the young officer had been ordered by CMO, Will Jamieson, to go home and stay there. Nelson had suggested that his Exec should be the one to make sure that Lee got there safely although certainly the blond had needed no order to insure his best friend was taken care of.

Once Major Amadi and Luana had been put ashore, the former to face his country's justice and the latter to return to her singing career, the great submarine had made for home at flank speed. During the days that followed, the Skipper had opted to recover in his cabin rather than sickbay. While he had kept himself apprised of anything concerning the well-being of his beloved gray lady, he had rarely shown his face in the control room. That was so unusual as to be fodder for the crew's scuttlebutt in their quarters and at meals. On the other hand, they were not surprised that Nelson rarely showed his face since he preferred to be in the lab or in his cabin doing paperwork.

Due to the discussion about the unexpected behavior of their Skipper and about Luana's charms, the days had passed quickly on the return voyage to Santa Barbara. Still, all aboard were elated to see the familiar sight of their berth at NIMR. Morton had wasted no time in making sure that Crane went straight home, despite the brunet's protests that he had completely recovered from the savage beating.

The 4-star admiral had been quite surprised when his Executive Officer had turned up at the Institute only an hour later, his final report in hand to present to the Admiral. Needing to reassure himself that the Captain would be well-looked after, Nelson once again questioned his XO, "Are you planning to stop by Lee's place after your date?"

Cerulean eyes stared into those of sapphire. "Actually no. This is Gregori's last night in Santa Barbara before he returns to Russia so we're going out to dinner and I'm not sure how late I'll be."

"Gregori? Gregori Malinoff?"

"Yes, he received permission from his government to stay in the U.S. for awhile, but now he has to return."

"I see. Well, I'm sure Miss Gonares might be persuaded to look in our Captain if he needs company."

A startled look cross the Exec's face, but he only replied, "I suppose that's possible, but Lee didn't seem like he was in the mood for company."

Nelson's eyebrow arched. "I'm not so sure about that. Lee seems quite taken with the beautiful Melina."

Taking a deep breath, the blond remarked, "I'm sure he enjoys her company, but he also seemed to enjoy Luana's ministrations."

"Yes, yes, he did," the scientist conceded, "but then our Captain seems to get along well with beautiful women."

"Nothing wrong with that, is there?" Chip asked pointedly.

"No, no, of course not. He's. . .he's a young man. He needs to enjoy life and not become chained to. . . ."

"Excuse me for interrupting, sir, but I really need to leave now. Gregori is meeting me at Marcelino's in less than an hour and I still want to stop by Lee's apartment as well as go home and change."

"Of course. Enjoy your evening and please give Mr. Malinoff my best wishes for his trip home."

"I will. See you on Monday."

The red-haired genius continued to stare at the papers in his hand long after the Exec had left. Melina Gonares! How he hated that woman! Nelson threw down the pen in his hand as he face reddened with jealousy and remorse. Melina Gonares certainly did not deserve his hatred. She was a fine, beautiful woman--a woman any man would be proud to love, but why did one certain man have to love her?

Of course, the Skipper had never said he loved the Greek woman, but what other explanation was there for Lee's constant attentions to her, now that she was residing in the Los Angeles area? After every mission, Crane would spend most of his shore leave with the young woman. No
longer was he interested in playing golf with Chip or going sailing with his Admiral. During the missions that had followed the destruction of the city beneath the sea Lee and Melina had grown closer while Crane had definitely pulled away from Nelson and even his best friend, Chip. If
Lee chose to marry Melina, how long would it be before he would prefer not to leave his bride and would choose to leave SEAVIEW instead?

Disgusted and disturbed with his thoughts, Nelson gave up on completing his work that evening. He would go upstairs, have a drink or two and forget all about Lee Crane!

An hour later, the distressed man knew it was hopeless. The liquor did not anesthetize his pain at all; it only made him maudlin about the coming loss of the man he loved. Shaking with exhaustion and desire, Nelson headed to the shower. Maybe under the heated torrent of water he could regain his equilibrium.

Soaping up, the Admiral felt a tingle in his groin. It was not the first time he had imagined what it would be like to feel the slender body of Lee Crane in his arms, to pull the young man close and tell him of his need. Rinsing off, the flag officer ruthlessly put those thoughts from his mind. Lee Crane had every right to choose who he wanted to spend his life with--even if it wasn't Harriman Nelson.

By 2300 the red-haired man had nearly worn a groove in the plush carpet of his living area. The scientist had debated, reasoned out, and investigated all of his emotions and had come to only one conclusion.

Ten minutes later a taxi delivered the 4-star admiral to the apartment building where the Skipper lived. His stomach clenched in knots, the officer entered the building. He had noticed a light was still on in one of Crane's apartment windows so surely that meant Lee was awake despite the lateness of the hour.

After two knocks, the door opened. Lee stood there wearing a robe with shorts on underneath. "Admiral, come in. Is there a problem?"

"Uh, not really. I just wanted to check on you. Sorry I left it so late."

The dark head looked down. "That's okay. I've been resting most of the day so I've just been trying to read myself to sleep."

Nelson glanced at the book in the young man's hand. "Isn't that supposed to be on the best seller list?"

"Uh, yessir, but it's as boring as hell so I figured it might do the trick." Lee stepped back to allow his Admiral to take a seat on the couch. "Could I offer you a drink or coffee?"

"No thanks. I'm fine. How are you?"

"The bruises are almost gone so I should be back on duty by Monday."

Smiling nervously, the redhead glanced around the room. "I had forgotten that your place was so small. Maybe I'll need to give you a raise."

"Well, I wouldn't turn it down," the Captain assured him, "but this place suits me fine. I like to keep it simple. Got used to moving around in the Navy."

"You're not in the Navy now and if you're thinking of starting a family. . . ."

Puzzled brown-gold eyes stared at the Admiral. "Family? What woman would want to marry a man who's gone so much of the time?"

"Melina Gonares for one!" Nelson couldn't keep the hurt out of his voice.

"Melina?"

"Can you deny that you've spent nearly every shore leave with her since she came to the U.S.?" the older man accused.

Lee straightened his shoulders as he icily replied, "I didn't know my off-duty activities were any of your business."

"Of course, it's my business when my Captain prefers to spend his time with a woman instead of performing his duty!"

Lee leapt to his feet. "What the hell are you talking about? I've never shirked my duty. I let Farrell die rather than not do my duty!"

"I. . .I didn't mean that. I realize that decision has. . .haunted you."

"Then just what did you mean?" Crane demanded.

"You keep shoving watch duty off onto Chip. You can hardly wait to be with. . .her." Nelson couldn't bring himself to say the Greek woman's name one more time.

The curly head lowered as Lee brushed his left hand through the dark hair. "I. . .I know. I haven't been fair to Chip. It's just that after. . .Farrell, I couldn't. . .handle the looks the men gave me. I
let them all down. When I was with Melina, I could forget those looks."

"Lee, no one blamed you for Farrell's death."

"I blamed me! I should have figured out a way to save him. I used Melina's kindness to help me get through what I had done."

Taking his courage in hand, Nelson quietly asked, "Are you in love with her?"

Blazing brown eyes looked into those of blue. "No, I'm not. She helped me and I tried to help her get through her father's death. We're just friends--besides I think she's going to marry one of her
distant cousins who lives in L.A. I met him at a celebration Melina's family held. He seems to be a really nice guy."

Harri took a deep breath of relief. "Could I have that drink now?"

Lee poured out drinks for both of them. "What made you think that I might be in love with Melina?"

"First of all, you spent so much time with her and she seems to be just the type of woman you might want for a wife."

"Oh really? And just how would you know what I might want in a wife?" Lee inquired disparagingly.

"You have a point, but she is beautiful and intelligent and I can't imagine you settling for less than the best."

Crane snorted. "Melina is beautiful and intelligent as well as loving and kind-hearted. If I were interested in being with a woman, I think you're right that I could easily want to marry her."

"Lee, what the devil. . . .?

"Admiral Nelson, while I sometimes enjoy the company of women, I have no desire to marry and I never lead any date to think that our relationship could ever become serious. It wouldn't be fair to either of us."

"Because of SEAVIEW, because of your duty?"

"No, because I already love someone."

Nelson's heart dropped a fathom. "And this woman doesn't love you in return?"

Hands clenched together, Lee leaned slightly forward. "I don't know how this. . .man feels about me."

The Admiral blanched. "A man? You have feelings. . .for a man?"

"Are you shocked?"

"Frankly, yes. I had no idea."

"It hasn't been easy hiding what I feel. You know what the Navy's like. I guess I never thought I'd have the chance to love this person the way I want to so I decided some time ago to be happy with what I have--a job that means a great deal to me and some very good friends."

Nelson held out his glass for another drink. Lee took another one for himself as well.

"Lee, I. . .I'm not sure what to say. I can understand your misgivings, but if you want to be with this. . .man, I assure you that I have no objections. You don't have to be concerned about losing your command. You have just as much right to happiness as the man who marries and starts a family."

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate your tolerance. If I thought I had a chance with him, I'd go for it, but I don't think that's in the stars."

"Is it. . .is it Chip?"

"What makes you ask that?"

"He and I had a talk. Chip told me. . .he seemed so concerned about you and the fact that you needed more from your life than duty."

"He knows me pretty well. Chip's always known that I prefer men and I think he's been concerned that I might marry Melina out of loneliness, despite the fact that he knows where my real preferences are."

The 4-star officer sat there silently for a moment before asking, "Is there anything I can do to help you find happiness with this man?"

The Skipper blinked. "That's very generous of you. Why. . .why would you want to become involved?"

"Because you are important to me. I know I act like an unfeeling sonofabitch sometimes, but during these last few missions, I could feel that you were avoiding me. I don't want that. When I found out how close you were to. . .death at Gamal's hands, I realized how much your friendship means to me."

"Then you are willing to help me find out if this man might be interested in me?"

"Of course. Just tell me what you want me to do."

"Put your arms around me and let me kiss you."

Astonishment crossed the lined face, but Harri did not hesitate as he quickly drew Lee to his feet and into a tight embrace. "Your turn."

Crane kissed Nelson with all the longing and desire which had built up over the months since he had reported on board. "Okay?"

"More than okay. It was superb, but I don't understand. You love me?"

"Why is that so hard to believe? I knew I did even before I got the telegram kicking me out of the Navy. When you asked me to become permanent Captain, I began to hope I'd have the chance to find out how you feel about me. I'd begun to think that the only thing in your heart is duty."

The redhead chuckled. "As a wise man once said, 'You can't curl up next to duty at night.'" Then the blue eyes sobered, "Lee, I won't deny that duty may seem to come first with me, but I need you in my life--as Captain and lover if you'll have me. I know it won't be easy, but if we want it enough, we can be together."

"Oh, I want it enough and right now I want you."

"Then let's go into your bedroom and start being together."

In the heat of their new-found passion, the two men quickly removed their clothes, fell into bed and began to pleasure each other with an unimagined intensity. Tongues, mouths, and fingertips learned and taught until both men collapsed in each other's arms as their bodies shuddered in release. Drowsily, Lee curled up next to his lover, pulling him close. "Can you stay the night? I'd like to wake up next to you."

"Absolutely. I'll just tell the Director of NIMR that I needed to be with you more than I need to do more paperwork."

"Sounds good to me. Maybe you can tame him. I'd be afraid to try."

Nelson kissed the brunet before murmuring, "You just let me know if he tries to intimidate you. I know some things about him!"

"Great. Uh, do you suppose you could talk him into letting you have the weekend off?"

"No problem. Like I said, I know where the bodies are buried. Besides, I want to take you shopping tomorrow. I want to buy you an anniversary gift."

"Anniversary? What anniversary?"

Harriman Nelson glanced over at the bedside clock. "By my reckoning, we first kissed an hour and twenty-three minutes ago. I want to commemorate that--as the first of many. Agreed?"

Lee showed his agreement in the deep probing kiss that followed. In a seductive whisper he remarked, "I think we should try to get into the Guiness Book of Records."

"For what?"

"The most anniversaries in a lifetime."

Nelson was certainly willing to try.



THE END
_________

September 14, 1964 - 2003 39 years of the Captain, the Admiral, the Exec, the crew and SEAVIEW.