Title: Rough Whispers

Fandom: UC: UnderCover

Pairing: Frank Donovan/Jake Shaw

Author: (Rach)

SlayerKnight2@aol.com

Rating: NC-17

Warnings: violence, explicit sex, first-time, bad language -- well, you get the hint.

Summary: When a tough case lands on UC's desk, the killer finds out the truth and stalks the people of the unit.

Spoilers: All the episodes to be safe.

Disclaimers: All the people from UC don't belong to me, I'm just going to use them for some angst and sex.

Feedback: Please feed my habit.<g>

 

Rough Whispers
By Rach
--------

Brutality.

Murder.

Loss.

Monica frowned as she analyzed the forensics report, her mind subconsciously picking out details and explanations for her profiling. This guy was angry, humiliated, and dangerous. More so than the other cases. They would have to tread lightly on this one. He wasn't stupid like Sonny or impatient like Quito; he was methodical and had a sharp intelligence.

She didn't like this case. Something about it nagged at her; lurking in the back of her mind her primal instincts were telling her to keep always from anything that had to do with this killer. But she turned the page, continuing her analysis. She hated cops but she worked with feds. Monica had learned long ago how to ignore that little voice in the back of her head, no matter how loud and insistent.

It was like something out of a B-line horror movie. One by one, tenants in this building were being murdered. Both men and women, the only commonality in all five victims was the fact that they were single. Monica looked up from her files to watch the others enter the briefing room.

Cody sat in a chair close to her so that he could work the computer images and still check out her breasts through his peripheral vision. Alex sat down stiffly in a chair next to him, hinting that she'd had a bad day so far.

Alex'd had a run-in with Internal Investigations over her previous relationship with an ex-con. The same one that had saved her life in the prison riot a few weeks back.

Jake sat down in a chair on the opposite side of the room, slinging his feet on top of the table. His usual devil-may-care attitude was reassuring to Monica. Donovan was the last to enter, taking a seat in the chair behind Jake. Monica knew it was so that he could covertly watch Jake without the others noticing. But it was her job to take notice of these things. Brief touches, sneak looks; she saw them all. The mutual attraction was something that both Jake and Frank seemed to shy away from whether it was due to professional or social consequences, Monica wasn't sure. However each seemed impervious to the other's gestures of affection.

Monica stood up ad took a deep breath as the pictures of the victims' bodies flashed onscreen.

"Sidney Cruse. She was the first victim to be found in the Abbey building. Since there was only one body the police thought it was just a random break-in, even though nothing was stolen aside from her charm bracelet. Bruises and abrasions found on her arms, legs, and face indicate that she put up one hell of a fight. However it has become clear that beating her was not the killer's plan.

"After handcuffing her hands to the bed, he proceeded to cut open her stomach and remove her liver. "

"She was still alive?" Donovan inquired.

Monica nodded. "Tests show that she died from bloodloss shortly after. No evidence of narcotics. He likes to watch them, up until the point where they are screaming and begging."

"Talk about your Hannibal Lector types." Jake muttered.

Monica motioned for Cody to display the next picture. "Melissa Leighmen. Same MO. Some bruising and abrasions and no liver ever found." The next picture came up." Rachel Knight. Same MO. Her date came just minutes after."

"Talk about your rough first dates." Cody said.

"Gabriel Nash. First male victim. Same MO." The picture changed again. "Joseph Hagirtey. Seems our guy grew a liking for male vics. Maybe it's because they fought harder or the whole forbidden aspect of it. You know, a male killer honing in on male victims. It's rare."

"That's why it landed on our desk. People from very high up want this one off the streets." Donovan said, his deep voice echoing in the small room.

"Commonalties?" Alex spoke up.

Monica shook her head. "Same building, all single. They all came form different parts of the establishment so there's no way to tell where he will strike next."

"Jake, I want you to go in as a new tenant. You'll be on the eleventh floor, apartment 14b. Get the feel of the place and it's people. It's possible the killer visits frequently maybe seeing a friend or relative. He might even live there."

"How does he get in?" Jake asked.

"The front door. When he strikes, it's fast. He doesn't waste time. He knows their routine, studies their lives. He knows when they're vulnerable and he's patient. Be careful, Jake. Once he targets you, he'll be watching ever move you make." Monica said as she leaned against the table. The game was on.

---------

Jake's dark eyes took in the photo of the last victim, it's horrid details forever imprinted in his mind. Words from a movie he had seen came back to him. "You're going to see things that you just don't forget. It's imprinted in your mind forever. You dance with the devil, you don't change him -- he changes you."

He had seen more in his few years working in UC then most people ever see in their entire lives. People burn out quick in this job. That he already knew.

What he wasn't prepared for was the nightmares. They had started after Sonny and Quito and they had never ceased. Each new case added new elements to his dreams.

This case should give his dreams a great spin.

He sat down heavily in the new chair. This apartment felt so foreign. The cold air bit at his skin, even through his jacket. He had turned the air off long ago but could never seem to get warm in this place. He had flirted with a woman who lived two floors down. She was sweet; tall, blonde. She had taken his number down, promising to call.

Jake sighed and flipped on the television. He didn't like being bait but he had no other choice. Having to watch his back constantly was wearing him out. At least on the other assignments he could relax at home. Here, his nerves were being rubbed raw by every fucking sound. And he hadn't even spent a night here.

Suddenly, the phone rang.

Startled, he picked up the receiver. "Yeah."

"Jake?" A high-pitched female voice.

"Yeah."

"Hi, Jake. It's me, Tessa. The girl you met in the mail room this morning."

Jake smiled. "I remember. What's going on, Tess?"

"Well, I know this is sorta last minute but my date canceled on me and I got all this pot roast just sitting on the stove getting cold and ..."

His stomach grumbled at the thought of a nice warm, homemade meal. And any kind of company would be more then welcomed. "I'll be over at seven."

**********

He rang the doorbell at seven-fifteen. "Fashionably late?"

Tessa grinned. "Or rude. Come on in."

Jake returned her smile and entered her apartment. He had left a message with Alex that he'd be at a neighbors for dinner. It was doubtful that the killer would be locating him as a target yet. He'd have to study Jake first, learn him. The thought wasn't very reassuring to him.

The living room smelled of the pot roast, a nice scent that was not overpowering. He sat down on the black leather couch. This apartment was cold as well. Tessa had gone down the hallways, back to the kitchen.

"Is this building fucking made out of ice?" Jake shouted back to her in an amiable tone.

A small laugh from the kitchen. "It's always cold here. The guy who owns the building says that the thermostat broke and it won't go above or below 57 degrees. But, damn, I swear it reaches 20 on some nights."

"So the temperature's broken."

"Yeah, and we have blackouts a couple times a week. Oh, the piping makes noises in the middle of the night that will make you make you crap your bed."

There was no missing the amusement in the woman's tone.

Jake snorted. "Great, just great."

"Oh, yeah and welcome to the building."

He had to laugh. That was the warmest greeting he'd gotten since moving in that morning. Everyone seem to stick to themselves. Couldn't really blame them with five dead tenants, probably didn't want to make friends with a potential killer or victim.

Tess came walking out with two plastic white plates filled with pot roast, carrots, green peas, and mashed potatoes. The steam rose from the food in large wisps.

"There's always hot water though. When in doubt, take a hot shower."

Jake took his plate from her as she sat down. "Good to know."

"Oh, I'm sorry. What do you want to drink?"

"Water'll be good." Jake replied.

"Water? For a man? Most guys I date want vodka so that they can get me all liquored up." Tess said as she stood up.

Jake shrugged. "Don't let me stop you."

"It's not fun playing by myself." She grinned as she left the room.

Jake laughed. This girl was fun. The exact kind of tension release that he needed. No pressure, just sexual innuendoes. The best kind of company, well, almost the best.

He'd eaten about half his meal before she came back.

"Wow." She said as she handed him his drink.

He took a drink of his water. "You're a good cook."

"Yeah, it helps that you're starving." She started eating her own supper.

"It's either still alive or overkill when it comes to my cooking."

Jake smiled before a thought occurred to him. "So, uh, how long have you lived here?"

"Two years."

"You see any guys come here a lot?" Jake mentally winced at the not-so-sutble approach.

Tess' green eyes met his. "You're talking about the murders."

It wasn't a question. He had underestimated her. "I heard about them when I moved in here. Five murders in three months."

"It's creepy as hell. No one around here talks much to each other. Lots of loners. That's why the cops don't have any leads. No one sees anything because no one cares until it's them." Tessa shook her head as she brushed her shoulder-length blonde hair over to the right side of her face.

"So why stay?"

She shrugged. "Some like the solitude."

"And you?" Jake inquired.

"Manic-depressive. I'm an artist, so it helps." Tess said casually.

He looked at her. "I didn't know-"

"That what? Manic-depressives are normal? As long as I'm on my meds, I'm very lucid."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--"

Tess shook her head. "I didn't take it personally."

Jake nodded, feeling a little uncomfortable insulting his host after just twenty minutes. "You ever go off your meds?"

"Occasionally. When I want to paint, I need to. Can't get the vibe on them. I get some bad side effects from taking them but it's worth it to be able to socialize once in a while."

"Must get lonely." Jake said.

"That's why you're here." Tess replied, her face brightening.

Jake started. "Uh, Tess.."

She laughed. "Relax. I'm not going to jump you. I just wanted someone to talk to. Besides, my pot roast turns to stone in the morning."

He nodded. It would be nice to make some friends here, just for a little while.

---------------------

Tessa stepped out of the shower, wrapping her towel around her. The steam gathered around the edges of the mirror. She always had liked taking a nice hot shower.

Jake had been great to talk to. He was cute, sweet, and totally not interested in women. Denial. She'd dated closet cases before. It never worked out. He'd left about three hours ago after having a few drinks of wine.

Tess walked into her bedroom, drying herself off. The high, white ceilings were set apart from the walls by a few of her scattered paintings. Her bed was full of pink and white sheets and huge pillows. Her closet was right by her bed.

She threw on a pair of boxers and a tank top. Tess collapsed onto the bed, facing the ceiling. She closed her eyes, enjoying the ability to relax. She didn't hear the closet door open. She didn't hear the heavy breathing. She didn't see the outstretched hands until they covered her mouth. Until it was too late.

-------------------

Jake jumped when a hand covered his mouth. He grasped at the hand, yelling. The lights were off and he couldn't see a goddamn thing. The hand let go and he shot up, crashing into Donovan, who was sitting on the edge of his bed. He
pulled at his shirt, gasping. Frank's arms came around him.

"Easy, Jake. It's me."

Jake's heart was racing. He rested his head on Donovan's shoulder, sleep and panic making him dizzy. He felt the arms around him tighten, at first awkwardly. He felt a hand massaging his back in slow circles. Jake closed his eyes relaxing for a second. He felt Donovan tense.

"What?" Neither moved.

"Jake." He paused. "That girl you met last night."

"Tessa."

"She was found murdered a few hours ago."

Jake shook his head, moving away from Frank. "Oh, no. No!"

"Jake." His voice was calm.

Jake slammed his fists down on the desk, welcoming the shattering pain that would leave a bruise in the morning. He leaned against it, forcing the tears down like he always did. "She didn't deserve that. She didn't deserve to die...alone."

Donovan sighed. "I know." There was a pause. "The police are outside, interviewing the same people who saw nothing again."

"How the fuck are we ever going to catch this bastard?" Jake said, staring out the window.

The older man stood up. "We are not."

Jake turned around. "You just put me on the case--"

Donovan tossed Jake an object in a police evidence bag. "They found this at her apartment."

Jake stared at it. It was his wallet with his badge in it. "I didn't take it with me. I hid it in my drawer."

"I know." Frank said.

The truth hit home. The killer had been in Jake's apartment. And he knew that Jake was a fed. He knew about the whole operation.

PART 2

"Be careful."

Monica looked up to see Alex arguing with Jake. They had arrived back at headquarters less than fifteen minutes ago and already tension was brewing.

This case was getting to everyone. There was just something about it that was different, something primal that was awakening everyone's fear. Maybe it was the fact that this guy was a hunter; he stalked his prey. The fact that he invaded the privacy of his victims was bad enough but the idea that he had the balls to break into their house, their sanctuary, and use it as their tomb was, to say the least, unnerving.

Jake dodged Alex by going into the kitchen to get a bottle of water. Alex sighed and folded her arms over her breasts in an feminine gesture of insecurity. She always watched out for Jake and vice-versa. They both were used as undercover agents, something that bonded them to each other in a way no one else could understand. Which made Jake's sudden put-offish attitude that much more hurtful.

"All I'm asking is that you watch your step."

Jake walked back in, not willing to be totally rude to her. He leaned against the desk that Monica was sitting in, his way of saying he knew that she was listening to the conversation. "I'll watch."

Large ice-blue eyes stared at from across the room, then shifted down to the floor. She knew that she wasn't going to get a better answer. "I don't like this one, Jake. He got too close."

Jake glanced down at the floor, his own denial about the events of the evening starting to wear away. "Yeah."

"I don't get it."Everyone turned to see Cody walk into the room. He sat down at his computer console, booting it up so that he could type up his report.

He leaned back into his chair. "Why didn't he kill you? Don't get me wrong, I like having you around, Jakey-boy, but the fact remains that the guy was in your house. He could have killed ya when you came back no problem."

Monica shrugged. "He likes to watch his victims. This guy is nothing if not precise. He doesn't panic."

"Which would make him less dangerous?" Jake asked.

She shook her head. "More." At Jake's curious look, she added. "It means that, no matter what we throw at him, he will always be a step ahead."

"Will he go after Jake?" Donovan walked up onto the platform to stand in the middle.

Monica took a deep breath. "I don't have enough information on this guy yet to plan out the way he thinks."

"What do you think?" Frank asked, his confidence in his profiler obvious.

"That Jake invaded his territory by going into Tessa Raines home. He broke into Jake's apartment for revenge, took Jake's wallet as a prize and deposited it at the crime scene by the body as a means of marking his territory."

"Like a dog pissing on a fire-hydrant." Jake mumbled.

"Exactly." Monica replied.

"So you think that it was simply a warning?" Alex asked.

The raven-haired young woman leaned bak into her chair. "More than likely. But I need more time and information on this guy--"

"Good enough for me." Jake stood up and went for his jacket.

"Just a minute, Jake."

He stopped and looked at Donovan. "What? I can't type up my report until forensics sends us the pictures of the body. You made us sneak out of there, without even telling the cops."

"I'm putting an officer in a car outside your apartment."

"Look, Donovan--"

"It's just a precaution, Jake. Just for a little while." Frank was unrelenting.

The young man paused before walking out.

Alex sighed. "He's afraid."

"I know."

Alex looked in the direction that Jake had disappeared. "Maybe not enough to keep him safe."

--------------

Jake closed the door to his apartment, leaning against the door with his head back and eyes closed. He sighed and walked towards the window in the living room. He brushed the shades aside to gaze down in the street. He stared for a few minutes at the cop car until the officer finally looked up. Jake grinned and waved, letting the officer know that he knew the guy was there.

Jake walked away from the window, his source of entertainment gone. Deciding that he wasn't going to be able to sleep for a while, he sat down on the couch and turned on the television. He had realized after the nightmares from Sonny and Quito, having the extra noise in the background would help the frequency of the bad dreams.

The soft laughter and quiet voices of some Nick at Night show blurred together as he drifted off into a fitful sleep.......

-----------------------

Heavy breathing filled the room of the dark apartment. The only light was that of the street lamps from the alley below. It was a small but spacious place with light furnishings and a comfortable style. He knew his prey was unaware. He had followed his prey since leaving Tessa's crime scene. One beautiful victim had led him to another. What a holy scenario.

He spotted his query. His time had been rushed, his liked to watch but he had to send a message to these cops. He would not be fucked with. Raising the blade, he advanced on the slumbering prey to deliver his words.

PART 3

There was a loud knock at the door. The sound startled Jake out of his restless slumber. Disoriented for a moment, Jake took in his darkened apartment and the odd bluish glow from the infomercials that were now on the television. As the knocking on the door increased in it's rhythm, his heart sped up to match it's pace. His pulse pounding, Jake half-ran to the door.

He undid the latches quickly and flung the door open. Jake squinted in the hallway's bright lights. Donovan was standing there, along with the uniform that had been in the car downstairs.

"Jake, are you alright?"

He met the concerned dark eyes evenly. "Yeah, fine. What's going on?"

Suddenly, the dark eyes averted to the side and Donovan grabbed his arm.

"Come, Jake. We have to leave."

The surprise of it all made Jake recoil a bit. Something was wrong. "Frank?"

"Now." But there was no need to further the argument. Donovan had already dragged Jake out of his apartment and his grip was unrelenting as they walked quickly down the hall.

Stunned, with the fear coiling in his stomach like a vicious serpent, Jake followed his leader outside. The cold air bit at his skin, freezing his face and hands. Thankfully, the beige long-sleeved shirt and jeans he was wearing kept the cold from sinking too far into him. Yet his chest felt heavy and frozen.

He sat in the back, watching as Donovan took a seat next to him. The lone officer took the driving seat. As the car started, Jake turned to his leader.

Frank took a deep breath, anxiety clear in his every movement.

"Frank."

"It's Alex." Donovan was still for a moment, collected but agitated. "She was attacked."

Jake took deep breaths. "Is she dead?"

"No. She's at the hospital. The doctors are operating on her as we speak."

-------------

"She sustained massive injuries to her chest cavity as well as deep defensive wounds to her hands, arms, and legs. We operated on her for fourteen hours. There's little else we can do now but wait. It's all up to her now." The young Asian doctor finished her analysis awkwardly. Her beautiful dark eyes glistened with a sympathy that was unusual for those in the medical field. Her glossy back hair was pulled into a loose ponytail and it moved slightly with her movements.

"Thank you, Dr. Fang." Donovan said.

She went to turn, to check on her other patients when something caused her to pause. "My honest opinion?"

He nodded. "Please."

"She's strong. If she wasn't then she wouldn't have even made it this far. It's just...I don't know if she's strong enough to hold out for days like this." Dr. Fang said.

Frank took a deep breath. "Thank you for your honesty, doctor."

The young woman gave him a soft smile and strode down the hall to attend to her other post-op patients.

Donovan turned to look at Jake. The young man was standing outside Alex's room, gazing at her through the glass door. The letters 'ICU' were painted in red across it, not even giving the illusion to family members that it might be a normal hospital room. Grief and cold permeated this area of hospital.

This was the place one level from death.

Jake looked so lost. His whole demeanor spoke of self-protection with his crossed arms and stiff posture. The grief and guilt was awash on his face as his dark brown eyes stared off into the sole room, desperately searching for hope.

Frank walked towards him, wishing that there was some way he could console him. But there was no way to do that other than to keep information from him. And the last thing that he was willing to do was lie to Jake. He stood next to the young man, silently.

"Will she die?"

For a moment, Frank did not answer. "It is possible."

"Possible?" Such pain in that one word.

"It's too early to tell. We have to wait."

"Wait. Wait. That's what doctors tell you to do until your hope dies away. If the patient doesn't first." Jake's words were bitter but soft-spoken as if he didn't dare talk too loud in the presence of death.

Donovan looked at Alex as she lay in a comatose state. The many machines beeped harshly and the soft whoosh of the respirator were all that filled the room. So many wires, so many tubes with tape that he could barely make out her lovely face. Her blue eyes were closed.

"What happened?" Jake's voice was so soft that Frank could barely hear him.

The older man did not hesitate. "He found her. Probably followed her from the crime scene and broke into her apartment."

Jake nodded.

Frank touched his shoulder. "We can't stay here."

"I know."

"We have to go to a safehouse. Cody and Monica are already there, but I knew that you would want to come and see Alex." Frank finished.

Jake slouched under his touch. He placed his fingertips lightly on the glass barrier that separated them. There was always something between them, no matter how close they seemed to get.

------------------

Monica tapped he fingers against her coffee mug. She had yet to take more than once sip since she poured it a half hour ago.

The FBI agents that were assigned to protect them wandered in and out of the living room quietly. They knew of what had happened and an attack on a federal agent was a serious offense. What Monica didn't like was that they were treating her and Cody like they were all at a memorial service instead of a safehouse.

She glanced at Cody, who was typing away at his computer, probably reading email or in a chat room. She could relate.

Anything would be better than sitting on their asses, waiting for news. Their minds had a chance to wonder, to anticipate what could happen. Imagination was what could get to UC now if they allowed the tension to build. With already one of their members attacked, the team's sense of security was severely damaged to say the least.

Monica looked up to see Donovan and Jake walk into the living room. She stood up and gave each a hug, pausing to hold Jake a little longer. Pain radiated off of him but he would not acknowledge it. She saw Frank watch Jake's every move as usual, obviously at a loss to soothe him.

"How is she?" Monica asked as Jake sat down heavily on the couch.

"The doctor's say that we will just have to wait." Donovan said, his eyes still focused on the other man.

Monica nodded. "I,uh, have been researching the new data that the feds decided to let me see. Apparently it takes an attack on an official agent for the truth to finally seep out. Anyway, this guy broke away from his pattern."

"What do you mean?" Frank asked, turning to face her as he leaned against the wall.

"I mean that he didn't remove Alex's liver. Didn't even try. He didn't go after Jake first, who is obviously his main target. He didn't 'watch' Alex for weeks like he normally does for his victims. " Monica took a deep breath to calm herself. "It's a whole new ball game boys."

"But serial killers don't change their MOs."

"That's what I'm trying to tell you, Donovan. He's smart, real smart. The badge, Alex's attack; they were all warnings. He's toying with us. We destroyed his fantasy by entering Tessa Raines' world now he's going to screw with ours. Don't you get it? We ruined his game, so he's got to find another one. And what better a challenge than to play against the very same people
who made him lose."

Everyone fell silent. The truth was starting to sink in. The horrible truth.

They were being hunted.

"The profiling division is calling him the 'Lone Stalker.' " Monica said as she took a drink from her cold coffee. She had to do something to cover the fact that her hands were shaking.

"The 'Lone Stalker'? Sounds like a guy from some sort of fucking Western." Jake said, his voice full of anger.

"So, what do we do?" Monica asked.

Donovan shook his head. "We wait. Will he attack others?"

"Well, he wants us. We're his targets. He won't actively look for more victims but he will do all he can to try and find us. No telling what he will do to his 'informants'." Monica said. "Our families have been alerted and were taken into protective custody as well."

"Oh, yeah. Mom's going to love this." Cody mumbled.

"Great. So how long do we have to stay here?" There was a certain hostility in Jake's voice but she ignored it. He was scared.

"Not long, I'd imagine. This guy's clever and patient but he wants revenge. And revenge makes everyone sloppy. " She replied.

Jake nodded. "Wonderful."

He stood up and walked out of the room, heading for the stairs.

Monica looked back down at her files. "At least he's getting some sleep."

She glanced up to see Donovan, staring at the staircase that Jake had just ascended. "You okay?"

He looked down at the carpet. "He's in pain."

Monica sighed. "Maybe he's scared enough and in pain enough not to do something stupid like go after the Lone Stalker."

"Yes, he would be foolish enough to do that, wouldn't he?"

"I'll go back through the files, research the cases. Apparently, this guy's been skewering livers from singles for over half a decade. Maybe I can come up with a reason for why he does what he does." She started flipping through the papers.

Donovan nodded and ascended the stairs.

---------

He washed his knife in the cool, metal sink. The dried blood seeped off the blade is crimson rivulets, swirling counter-clock wise until they disappeared down the dark drain. The woman's blood. He knew she was still alive, had seen her chest rise and fall. The others knew now. Everything was in motion. Everything was as He had foreseen it. He shut off the water, drying the knife on the towel next top him. Now, he would find the others. He would have their blood on this weapon as well. His master would appreciate such a sacrifice.

The hunt was on.

-------------------------------------------

The hallway was abandoned. Few paintings decorated the white walls and a lone wooden table stood at the end of the hallways by the closed window. Frank stood in front of the door that led to Jake's room. Apprehensively he turned the knob and opened the door.

The room was dark, the only illumination was a streetlight and the full moon. His eyes came to rest on the figure sitting on the windowsill, looking out into the night. Jake's legs were curled up against his chest and his arms were folded on top of them. His head rested on his forearms as if he was too tired to hold it up.

Frank walked into the room and shut the door. Jake knew he was here. Frank would wait until the other man spoke first. In a few minutes a soft voice filled the all-too-silent air.

"How many?"

Frank frowned but waited for Jake to continue.

"How many do you think he's killed?"

"Chances are we will never know the true extent of his carnage, Jake." Frank said. He wanted to reassure Jake but he refused to lie to any of his agents. He had worked hard to gain their trust and their acceptance. He would not ruin that with sugarcoated half-truths.

"And he'll kill more before this is over." It was a statement, not a question.

"She's a fighter Jake." Frank knew that this conversation was underlined by Alex's vicious attack.

"I know. But is it enough? If she dies it's because of me." Jake still hadn't turned from the window to face him but Frank could hear the pain in his voice.

"No one could have predicted this. The Lone Stalker is smart and patient. All we can do is wait this out--"

"You mean wait until he finds us." Jake corrected. "I can't keep jumping at every noise or opening up closet doors when I walk into a room. I can't keep looking under the bed expecting to find the bogeyman."

"He's not inhuman, Jake. We'll catch him." Frank walked over to Jake and sat down opposite him on the windowsill. He followed the young man's gaze to the quiet street below. It was dark as well and no living thing passed. "You shouldn't be by the window."

Jake nodded. "'Cause he watches his victims first, right? Just making his job a little easier for him."

'Enough." Frank grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the window.

Jake pulled his arm free, shoving the older man away in the same movement. Wild, dark eyes looked up at Frank with a fear that seemed to permeate his soul. His whole posture was defensive. Frank put his hands up in the air, a universal gesture that was non-threatening.

"Easy, Jake. You're safe here."

He extended his right hand to touch Jake's shoulder casually. When the young man didn't recoil, he moved closer and slipped his arms around his waist. Jake felt stiff in his arms, his muscles still tensed for a fight. Frank's hands rubbed the young man's back in soothing circles, trying to calm the tremors that plagued him.

Jake finally relaxed into his arms, melting against him. Hands clung to the front of Frank's shirt and Jake pressed his face against his neck. Frank frowned. It wasn't like Jake to hide. He tightened his hold on the agent. He kissed the top of the young man's head, inhaling the scent of his shampoo that reminded Frank of tangerines.

Frank's kisses trailed down to his forehead and temple to his cheek. Jake pulled up to look at him with dry eyes. Jake stared up at him a second before he leaned up and kissed him. It was a heated and passionate kiss born out of desire and the desperation to feel anything other than grief. Frank pulled him closer, losing himself in the kiss.

A loud knock at the door startled them both. It was a panicked sound. Jake pulled away from Frank, rubbing his neck, a little stunned. Frank sighed and yelled at the offender.

"What is it?"

Cody opened the door and walked in. His eyes were wide. "It's Alex."


END PART 4