Title: Undercover Witch

Author: Bj Jones

Email: cats_archive@hotmail.com

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: UC: Undercover is owned by NBC even though they don’t know a good show when it bites them in the arse. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling and Warner Bros. Salem Quinn is mine.

Feedback: I have a beta for one fandom but not this one…so if there are any volunteers please let me know.

Summary: A little plot bunny hopped into my life and tormented me till I wrote this story. It became a writing challenge to a list I'm on, take two fandom’s that don’t match and put them together. So here I am playing Dr. Frankenstein. Basically Donovan and company learn there are things in this world that are not explained, while Harry and company learns that not all muggle technology is beneath wizards. In the mean time they fight an evil lord, take down a drug ring, capture wanted felons, and of course play Quidditch.

 

Undercover Witch
By Bj Jones


Chapter 1: Mission Impossible

"Excuse me?" Salem Quinn asked. She looked at Cody as if he had grown a second head. "What was that name again?"

"Tom Riddle." Cody looked over at her puzzled. Salem usually didn’t comment during mission briefings.

"Tom Riddle? Are you sure?" She just stared at him and hoped that the name Cody had stated was wrong or maybe it was just a weird coincidence.

"Yes, Tom Riddle. His base of operation is out of London, but he has connections and aspirations that are world wide." Cody stated as he clicked on the slide projector to bring up the next image. "Colin Grove is our target. He runs a gun running operation out of the old warehouse district."

Cody passed the meeting over to Donovan. He explained to the team who they would be targeting and the teams cover. Salem had tuned him out somewhere around Colin's operation and security procedures. She was lost in her own thoughts contemplating the information Cody had given her, 'Tom Riddle, it can’t be. I need to check some sources and confirm if it is or isn’t Voldemort. Because if it is, the world is going to hell in a hand-basket.'

"Quinn! Are you even listening?" Salem calmly looked up into her commander's eyes. Donovan had leaned over the table and stared at her from only a few feet away.

"Colin Grove, gun runner out of the old warehouse district. I'm going in with Jake posing as new clients from Los Angeles. My cover name is Samantha Potter." Salem grinned inwardly 'a little close to home Cody'.

Donovan eyed her suspiciously then turned to the whole group. " I want the two of you to be careful. The reason we were given this job was because all other agents that have gone in have been killed. The problem is that no one knows how he is killing them. Nothing unusual shows up on the autopsy reports. They all have seemed to have died of natural causes."

"Do we know if this Colin is a wiz..." 'SHIT!' Salem mentally cursed. "A whiz at drug usage." 'Okay was it me, was that a really bad cover-up?'

"Whiz at drug usage?" Jake looked over at Salem completely confused.

'Yep it was bad cover-up' Salem sighed and tried to salvage the situation. "Well if agents are dying with no visible cause maybe he is using a new drug that isn't detectable."

"Possible, Cody check into that." Donovan once again eyed Salem suspiciously. "I need the two of you to make contact via their front man Jack Smith at the Britain Pub and Grill on 4th and Main. He will be there tomorrow night playing pool."

"How do we know this?" Asked Jake.

"He's there every Tuesday and Thursday playing pool. He's originally from London so he feels at home at the Pub." Monica stated from her seat next to Cody.

"Monica what can you tell us about this Tom Riddle." Salem ventured. Monica was the best profiler she had seen. It would be interesting to see what she thought of Riddle. It might be useful to Salem in later time when she has to return home and possibly face the Dark Lord.

"There isn't much information on him. He is a new fish in the sea of crime and he is rising quickly. The little information we do have is that he's based on the outskirts of London and has his fingers into many types of cookie jars. No one knows what he looks like or knows where he came from."

Monica paused in her statement thinking for a second then continued. "I think he's looking for power in any shape. It's possible that his venture into the criminal world is more to deal with insecurities stem from an event in his life where he had no control. He wants to be in control over everything making up for the lack of control he had early in his life. But since I don't have any information its all speculation."

"He could be just a psycho mad man trying to take over the world." Cody laughed at his own joke.

Salem smiled lightly 'once again Cody a little close to home.'

"Jake, Salem I want you wired and ready to go in an hour to meet with Smith." Donovan ended the briefing by getting up and heading towards his office.

"Come on Rookie lets get suited up."

"Rookie! Jake I've been on this team for a year now and worked undercover work for five before that I'm hardly a rookie." Salem playfully slapped him upside the head. "And I recall who saved your backside on the last mission?"

"She has a point Jake." Alex smirked at him.

"Women! Always sticking together." Jake turned to leave when he got smacked again on the back of the head. "Ouch!"

"Serves you right." Alex grinned and headed towards Donovan's office. She had been out of commission for the past month recovering from a gunshot wound. She was tired of being cooped up and wanted in on this one.

"Boss can I talk with you?"

"What do you want Alex?" Donovan didn't even look up.

"I want in."

He was expecting this Alex had started getting restless but hasn’t been cleared physically or mentally for duty. Monica had informed him that the wound itself wasn't bad but the effect it had on Alex was tremendous.

"No."

"No, that's all you're going to say?"

"No Alex, you're not cleared for duty. I won't put you or your teammates at risk." He looked at her pointedly. "You will stay with us in the van I need your eyes watching the monitors see if something is out of place."

Alex looked over at Donovan and hesitated a bit. "Boss, was it me or did Salem act a bit weird when she heard the name Tom Riddle?"

"No, it wasn't just you she did seem a bit upset. I'll see if Cody can pull any info to see if the two are connected in anyway."

"Do you trust her?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"I don't know. Since she joined there has been something about her... as if... "

"As if she has information she's not telling us." Donovan looked up at Alex to see if he hit the mark. Salem was assigned to them a year ago. She got along with team and anyone of them would trust their life to her, but there was something different about her. Something he just couldn’t put his finger on.

"Yeah. Maybe I'm paranoid. I trust her to cover my back but sometimes her abilities don't match her training."

"I don't think we have anything to worry about Alex. Why don't you go and help Cody with the search."

"Yeah boss."

Alex left the office and headed back downstairs. Donovan leaned back and thought over the past few years. Alex was right there were a few things that Salem had done that just didn't fit her file or training. Her ability to appear in the nick of time was uncanny. At times she could take down suspects without firing a shot. Then there was that pet owl. Who had an owl as a pet? Then again Jake still lived at the orphanage, Alex is in love with a world-renowned drug dealer, and then there's 'jake' his coon cat/therapist.

 

 

Chapter 2: Night Visitor

The room was dark; the only light seeping in was the occasional beam of light that came from the passing cars. A brown barn owl sat quietly on the mantle place looking out towards the night sky, waiting for the Mistress of the house to come home. Around three in the morning Salem stumbled through the front door. The owl hooted a soft greeting, which was answered by a small curse, a drop of keys, and the door slammed against the wall.

"Damn!" Salem picked up her keys and closed the door hoping she didn't wake the neighbors.

She walked into her spacious two-bedroom condo thanking Merlin she was finally home. The condo didn't look like much on the outside but where it lacked in location made up in space and comfort. The large country kitchen was off the front door and to the right. The dining room was adjacent directly off from the kitchen. It held an elegant table that seated eight, and an antique china cabinet with the most particular plates. To the left of the front door was a spacious living room the cathedral ceilings made the room feel wide and airy. On the far wall away from the front door was an enclosed stone fireplace. Sitting next to it was a huge owl cage. Which was the home of a billowy snow owl that at the moment was content looking at its Mistress and softly hooting. Directly next to the cage was a set of French Doors that lead to a balcony that was covered with various herbs, plants, and flowers. The smell of Jasmine floated into the home through the slightly jarred doors. Pass the fireplace down the long hallway laid the two bedrooms. One of the rooms is used as a study and is locked at all times. The master suite is located at the end of the hallway.

Salem tossed her keys onto the coffee table then proceeded to collapse onto the couch. It had been a long evening. They contacted Smith and made arrangements to meet with Grove on Friday to discuss a shipment of weapons. It only took five games of pool and six rounds of dark English ale. Salem dropped Jake off at the orphanage so he could sleep off the effects. Even though he only had a few glasses, English Ale was a lot stronger than its American counterpart. Salem had the wonderful advantage of using a sobering spell on herself; it helped for situations like this.

Salem closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep when she heard a soft persistent hoot.

"Blizzard, what do you want?" Salem muttered.

The hooting intensified. "Blizzard I just want to sleep I'll let you out of your cage tomorrow."

Salem was startled when an owl landed on her. "You're not Blizzard."

A brown barn owl hooted impatiently at her and shaking its leg emphasizing the letter attached to it. Salem looked at the owl, took the letter and gave him a quick pat on the head. The owl jumped off and flew out the doors into the night air. Salem sat up turning on the table lamp behind the couch.

She sat there for at least five minutes staring at the letter or more accurately the seal, the Hogwarts seal.

"So Blizzard what do you think Hogwarts wants?" She opened up the letter and got the shock of her life.

 

Chapter 3: Memories

Salem stood up from the couch and headed to her room, the letter left on the table. She was in a state of shock. Turning on the bathroom light she started the shower, stripped out of her clothes and eased into the warm soothing water.

Salem’s thoughts began to drift back over the last year and the changes it had brought to her life.

"It's been a hell of year." She muttered to herself. "It all started with that owl from Lupin, who I hadn't heard from in years. Just a quick note telling me that Sirius was alive and had escaped Azkaban. The letter was so non-chalant like this was an everyday occurrence. Of course it took a lot to shock Lupin. Sirius escaping probably wasn’t something out of the ordinary or un-surprising. Actually now that I think about it, I’m surprised he hadn’t escape sooner."

"It took me a few months to get over that news. Okay if I’m honest with myself I didn’t deal with it, but instead ignored the situation and my feelings. And now this? What was Dumbledore thinking?"

She finished scrubbing, turned off the water, grabbed her robe putting it on and stepped out of the shower. She looked at herself in the fogged up mirror.

"Has it been 15 years since they died? Harry will be 16 next week." She looked up and smiled a sad smile. "I miss you guys, all of you. DAMN! You Voldemort! Isn’t it bad enough you killed his parents but now you have to return and destroy Harry? Well this time you won’t succeed."

She sighed and choked back the tears. Even after all these year she still gets emotional thinking of James and Lily. She looked back into the mirror and studied herself carefully. She had inherited her dad’s height coming in at 5ft 10 inches the Hazel/green eyes were a mix from both parents. The red hair was a gift from her Irish mother. She had a strong build from the years of service in the Army Rangers. Even though she took good care of herself the years were gaining on her. Laugh wrinkles were starting to show on the side of her eyes, and then there were those few gray hairs that streaked within the red.

"Face it girl you are 36 years old and its starting to show." She turned off the bathroom light and walked into the darken bedroom. She threw the robe onto the chair in the corner and slipped into her nightgown that was lying on the bed. She then proceeded to crawl into bed after all it had
been a long day.

"Friday we will take care of Grove and then I’ll answer Dumbledore’s letter. If its true and Voldemort has returned, Hogwarts will need all the help they can get."

She rolled over looking at the picture next to her bed. It was a rare muggle photo of Sirius on his motorcycle.

"I’m not sure how I feel about you running free." She stated to the picture. "But if Dumbledore needs me then I guess its time to go home. Now I only have to figure out what I’m going to tell Donovan."

She rolled onto her back looking up at the ceiling. "You see boss, I’m a witch, and I’m going back to England to help fight against Voldemort an evil Lord. You actually know him as Tom Riddle. Yeah, that would go over well." She snickered as she drifted off to sleep.

 

 

Chapter 4: Straight to Hell

"Shit! Jake get down." Salem yelled as she saw Colin pull out his wand and aimed it at Jake. It was like watching a bad B-rated movie in slow motion. The moment they had walked into the warehouse the bust had gone from bad to straight to hell. Colin had figured them from the beginning and had lured them into a trap. The only thing on their side was that he had no clue Salem, herself, had a few tricks up her sleeve.

"Expelliarmus!!" Salem had pulled out her own wand. His wand went flying out of his hands as he looked at her in shock.

"Accio wand." The wand came flying towards her. She grabbed it out of the air and slipped it into her coat pocket.

"Surprised Colin?" she smirked. "Riddle isn’t the only one to move into muggle areas."

"A witch as a cop, how fitting. Does your boss know?" Colin had kept his calm. "I admit it, I wasn’t expecting that. I had you both pegged as cops, but no idea you were a witch."

"I’m full of surprises." Salem walked over to Jake to help him up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I’m fine. What’s going on? I don’t understand… witch?" He looked confused and couldn’t stop staring at the wand.

"Jake there are things in this world you can’t explain."

"Stupid muggle!" Colin spat.

"Shut-up Colin!" Salem glared as she pulled up her wand and aimed it at him.

"The muggle deserves to know. You see boy, you’re kind are finished. The Dark Lord has risen and will take control of the earth."

"Dark Lord?" Jake looked over at Salem questioning.

"Colin, I’m warning you."

"What are you going to do? Use an unforgivable curse. No, you’re to good for that, aren’t you? You see Jake, she’s a witch and the Dark Lord is a powerful wizard that will rule over you stupid muggles."

"Stupefy!" Salem spat out. Colin fell over to the ground not moving.

"Is he dead?" Jake looked at Salem with fear.

"No, he’s not dead. He’s just in a form of a coma. He can’t move or speak." She took a step towards Jake, who stepped away from her.

"Look Jake I can’t explain it, but you have to trust me."

"Then explain it to me." He demanded.

"I’m sorry Jake, but I just can’t." She pulled up her wand. "Obliviate!"

 

 

Chapter 5: Leaving

Jake woke up in the hospital with a splitting headache. He looked around not remembering how he got there. For that matter he couldn’t remember what happened. Alex saw Jake awake and was by his side instantaneously.

"Oh good, Jake, you’re awake. We have been so worried." Alex sat on the bed taking his hand.

"What happened?" He looked up at her.

"There was an equipment failure. We lost all contact with the two of you." Cody commented as he slid his chair up to the bed.

"By the time we got there, Grove was down and Salem was screaming for an ambulance. I guess Colin found out the two of you were cops so he set a trap. Before you guys had a chance he pulled a gun and took aim. The bullet grazed you but it was enough time for Salem to take him down." Alex explained.

Jake just gave her a blank stare. "I don’t remember a thing. I remember Salem yelling for me to get down and then it gets real fuzzy."

"That’s to be expected. The doctors said you might not remember what happened." Monica commented as she walked into the room.

"Where’s Donovan?" Cody asked her.

"Dealing with those Interpol guys. They are laying claim to Grove. Since Riddle is based out of London they want Grove for questioning." Monica explained coming up to sit on Jake’s bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay I guess. Where’s Salem?" He asked.

"Outside with Donovan." Monica answered. She looked over at Jake his eyes were starting to close. "Come on guys Jake needs his rest."

Alex and Cody got up and followed her out of the room to let Jake sleep. As Jakes eyes closed he heard a voice in his head whispering about a Dark Lord and muggles.

The three, teammates walked into the waiting room to see the men from Interpol had left and headed towards the elevators. Salem sat on one of the chairs looking intently at them. She turned towards Donovan.

"There’s nothing we can do. They have jurisdiction." Salem stood up and walked over towards Donovan. ‘Even if you could fight it Grove would disappear, the Ministry would see to that.’ She thought to herself.

"How’s Jake?" Donovan nodded towards Salem then turned his attention towards Alex.

"He’s awake, but doesn’t remember a thing." Alex looked relieved. She had panicked when she saw Jake lying on the floor.

Salem sighed with relief. "Boss this is bad timing, but I have no option."

Donovan turned toward her, "What?"

"I have to resign my position effective immediately." She stated looking down. She still felt bad about Jake and just couldn’t look Donovan straight in the eyes. "A family emergency has arose in Ireland and I need to go home."

"Ireland? I thought you were an American?" Alex asked.

"I’m half. My father is an Army Ranger, well retired. My mother was from Ireland." Salem looked up and smiled. "I hid the accent well. Years in the service."

"This is a bit sudden." Donovan eyes narrowed. He knew something wasn’t right about this bust, but he couldn’t place his finger on it. Now Salem was quitting, somehow it was connected.

"I know I got the call a couple of days ago. My plane leaves tomorrow morning. I’m sorry, but I cleared it with the higher ups all ready." Salem had pushed the paperwork through by using her own connections.

"I guess this is goodbye." Cody was visibly upset.

"For now." Salem smiled. "Let me say goodbye to Jake and I’ll be off."

She walked off towards Jake’s room. Monica followed her movements and knew there was more to this than Salem was stating.

"Is it me or is this just not right?" Alex commented.

"It’s not just you." Donovan stated quietly. "She knows something. I don’t know how but she, Riddle, Grove and Interpol is all connected."

"I have a feeling we will be seeing her again." Monica commented.

"Yeah, I hope with answers." Alex commented dryly.

Salem walked into Jake’s room. He was sleeping peacefully. She softly closed the door and approached the bed.

"Before I left I had to tell you that I’m sorry. I had no choice and hope one day I can explain it to you and the others." She kissed him on the forehead and left. Jake opened his eyes and wondered what she met. He then slid back into a soft slumber dreaming of witches and wands.

Six hours later Salem was on a plane heading back to England. Her luggage was stored in the overhead compartment conveniently shrunk for traveling. Blizzard was set free to make the trip to Hogwarts, on his own free will. She was heading home. Home to Hogwarts, back to the memories of the Marauders, of James and Lily, and mostly of Sirius. It would be good to see Harry. Lupin had told her about some of Harry’s adventures. One thing for sure, going back life wouldn’t be boring.

"Wonder if Severus is still there? Boy will he be glad to see me." Salem smiled. "First Harry shows up. Then Lupin and Sirius make a grand entrance. Then I pop up. Yep, he’ll be thrilled. Maybe it won’t be so bad after all."

Salem looked out the airplane window. "I’m going home."

 

 

Chapter 6: Hogwarts

The students were do to arrive in a week and the staff still had no clue who Dumbledore had found to take the cursed position of DADA Professor. The staff was anxious to find out who the new victim (Professor) was, so they elected Snape to go in and see if he could get the information out of Dumbledore. Which was how Snape found himself sitting in front of Dumbledore's desk in a loosing battle. Dumbledore was more interested in telling Snape the finer points of a new candy he had recently discovered then discuss the topic at hand.

"These chocolate bars are really quiet good, Severus. You should try one." Dumbledore held out a small candy bar.

"No thank you Albus, I would like to discuss with you the new DADA teacher." Snape sighed leaning back into his chair.

"Oh yes, the new professor. Should be arriving anytime now." Dumbledore took back the bar and proceeded to eat it relishing every bite.

"Who is the new professor?" Snape was getting a bit frustrated.

"Someone highly qualified. I picked them personally."

"No offense, but your past choices haven't been good. Lets see, Quirrell was caring the Dark Lords essence in his head and tried to kill Potter. Then there was the useless Lockhart who only cared about his reputation, and wouldn't know the difference between a Vampire and Werewolf. Next came the Werewolf, Lupin. I admit at least he knew his job. Then we had Barty Crouch Jr., a death eater, disguised as Mad Eye Moody. Then last year’s girl was so inept that even Weasley knew more about the Dark Arts than she did. Your track recorded isn't very good."

"Trust me Severus. This one isn't a werewolf, nor a death eater, does know the difference between a vampire and a werewolf, and most importantly has no interest in helping Voldemort. As a matter of fact they are an expert in all forms of defense, wizard and muggle alike."

"So who is this person?" Snape demanded.

"Hello Severus." An old familiar voice called from the door.

Snape jumped out of his chair spinning around, he stood there not believing his eyes. Standing in front of him was someone he had not seen or heard from in nearly fifteen years, Salem Quinn. She was the last person he had expected. No one could have predicted her appearing out of nowhere, not even Trelawney. Snape had actually thought Dumbledore would hire Black, for the sole purpose of protecting Potter and annoying him. But to see Salem standing there was a shock, even to someone who didn't shock very easy. After James and Lily were killed and Black accused of their murder Salem had disappeared. Most assumed she went back to America to live life as a muggle. Snape personally had thought she was dead. Especially, since there was no word about her when Lupin and Black re-appeared.

With her standing before him that theory went right-out the door. He gave a quick look over she hadn't changed much. She was wearing her wizard robes open showing off the muggle clothing underneath. A black gun holster was prominent against the gray T-shirt. The simple blue jeans were tucked into black military boots. She was leaning against the door jam with her arms crossed against her chest smirking at Snape. The only question remaining was; what is she doing here?

"Surprised?" she smirked.

"A little, what are you doing here?"

"I'm your new Defense against Dark Arts teacher."

"What? Why?" Snape turned towards Dumbledore.

"For once we are in agreement. Why me Albus?" Salem pushed off the door and took the seat next to Severus.

"I trust your skills. The students need to be taught how to defend themselves from not only magic but also against a physical attack."

"What is that thing you're wearing?" Snape sat back down sneering at her outfit.

"Its called jeans and T-shirt Snape."

"And the contraption on your shoulders."

"A gun holster."

"A muggle weapon."

"I had it specially made to fit my 9mm and wand." Salem smiled. "You never know when either one might come in handy."

"You're carrying a muggle weapon at Hogwarts?"

"Its very handy to take down a death-eater at a distance. If you can't stop them with a spell a bullet between the eyes works very well." Salem gave a small evil smirk. She truly loved tormenting Severus.

Snape's eyes went wide and looked over at Dumbledore, "This is what you want to teach the students."

"I have complete faith in Miss. Quinn." Dumbledore snickered. "The students return next week so I suggest you get re-aquatinted with the grounds. McGonagall will show you to your rooms."

"Professor McGonagall is still here?" Salem smiled. This might not be so bad after all.

"Yes, Miss Quinn I'm still alive and kicking." McGonagall was standing by the door looking quite shocked. "Welcome back, Salem. Albus I'm quiet surprised. You out did yourself this year. I mean first you bring back Lupin and now Quinn." She gave Dumbledore an amused look, then turned to Salem and motioned her to follow, "come with me I'll show you to the Professor's Hall."

"Wow, I have always wanted to see that section of Hogwarts." She grinned at McGonagall, turning to Albus, "Thanks Professor Dumbledore for giving me this opportunity. I'll try my best and hope to break the curse of this position." She smirked. "But I will warn you my methods aren't conventional." Salem rose from her chair and followed McGonagall out the door.

Snape followed suit giving Dumbledore a 'you will see this is a bad idea' look. Dumbledore just picked up another candy bar and smiled.

"Fawkes, I think this year will be quiet interesting. Then again every year has been quiet interesting." Fawkes cocked his head towards Dumbledore and squawked.

 

 

Chapter 7: The school year begins


Harry Potter sighed and leaned farther into his seat for a more comfortable position as he watched the landscape go speeding by. After spending the summer with the Dursleys it took him a while to adjust back into the wizard world. The Dursleys never let him speak the word magic let alone use any of it. So he used this time on Hogwarts Express to re-acquaint himself with magic, before he got to Hogwarts School of witchcraft. He was beginning his sixth year and he thought just maybe this year would be calmer. He hoped, but doubted it very seriously. He stopped watching the scenery and looked over at his two best friends, Hermione and Ron. There are times he felt guilty for pulling them into his nightmare, especially when they were in harm's reach. Hermione caught Harry looks at them and smiled. He smiled back, it was good to have friends, he didn’t feel so alone when they were near. He went back to watching the scenery fly by. He was so deep in thought that he didn't even notice when Hermione was trying to get his attention.

"Harry, were you even listening?" Hermione stared at him intently.

"What?" Harry looked up sheepishly. "Sorry I didn’t hear you."

Hermione smiled at him and shook her head. "I swear you two would never pass your classes if it wasn’t for me."

"That’s very true moine." Ron smiled at her.

Harry looked at his two friends again they had changed a lot in the past five years. Ron had sprouted in their fifth year. He was now pushing 6’2" and still growing. Playing Quidditch helped firm up his muscles in his chest and arms, making him look more menacing than he actually was. Ron was becoming a handsome young man. The red hair was still flaming red, and when he was embarrassed the blush matched the hair. Hermione had grown from a young girl into a beautiful woman. Her wild hair was now smooth and pulled back into a nice French Roll, accenting her soft face. Her brown eyes always held that sparkle of knowledge and mischievousness when she was with her friends. She comfortably fit into Ron’s embrace, barely reaching to his shoulders coming in at 5’6". Harry then eyed his reflection in the window. He had sprouted over the summer barely making 6’ but was skinny as every. He had gained muscle from the years of playing Quidditch, but his clothes still hung on him as if they were to big. Which most of them were since he still wore Dudley’s handy-me downs. The scar was prominent against his white skin. It was the blasted scar the caused of most of his problems, so he always tried to cover it up with his black hair. His eyes were his best feature or at least that’s what Hermione always said, when he didn't hide them behind his glasses. They were an emerald green and one could read his every emotion by looking into his eyes. He was pulled out of his thoughts once again when he heard the name Malfoy.

"As I was saying, did you hear about Malfoy?" she smiled mischievous.

"No, what is the twit up to?" Ron muttered in contempt.

"Well according to Lavender who’s sister has a friend who knows someone who works at the Ministry." She paused to take a deep breath. "Draco was in France the whole summer. It seems that his mother sent him away to a cousins to get him away from Lucious."

"Really why?" Harry was a bit curious.

"I’m not sure exactly, but I do know that he is now under the Ministry and Hogwarts protection." She stated matter of fact.

"Does this mean we have to be nice to him?" Ron asked eating a chocolate frog.

"Has anyone seen him?" Harry asked.

"No, I saw Crabbe and Goyle, but no Draco." Ron commented with his mouth full.

"Eat with your mouth closed, Ron." Hermione scolded.

Harry leaned back in his seat listening to his friend bicker; it was strange how he found it comforting. He smirked at them wondering when the two would realize they were perfect for each other. Harry sighed and went back to watching the scenery go by. Draco being protected by the Ministry, this adds a new twist to the story. He smirked realizing that this year would not be a calm one.

The Great Hall was as grand as all the previous years. Harry sat next to his friends half paying attention to the sorting ceremony. He was more intent at watching Draco at the Slytherin table. He looked tired, and worried lines could be seen around his silver eyes. Draco had changed over the past few years he seemed to grow older as each summer passed. Harry wondered if that had anything to do with Lucious Malfoy. He had stopped slicking his hair back sometime around his fifth year. The platinum blond hair now lay loose around his ears and shoulder. Every once in a while, for a dramatic look, he would pull his hair back with a black silk tie. He was about the same height as Harry, but with a much stronger build. Even Hermione noticed the way he filled out an outfit. Harry noticed that Draco’s two guards, Crabbe and Goyle, sat next to him growling at anyone who tried to get near him. Blaise seemed to stare at Draco with a murderous gleam. Harry turned to look at the teacher’s table and noticed Snape watched the Slytherin table intently, specifically Draco. This was a mystery that Harry needed to solve. If Draco had turned against his father does that mean he was fighting for the Ministry? Harry was so lost in thought that he didn’t even notice the sorting ceremony was over, until Hermione poked him in the ribs for him to pay attention. Dumbledore was giving his usual beginning of the year speech. First years stay away from the Forbidden Forest. There will be a Yule ball this year. Only 5th year and up can go to Hogsmeade this year with teacher supervision, and the most important announcement the introduction of the new professors.

"I would like to introduce Hogwarts new Defense against Dark Arts Professor." Dumbledore paused for dramatic effect. The students began to whisper to each other wondering what was in store for the DADA this year.

"Wow, another one?" Seamus commented.

"Who do you think it is this time?" Hermione asked.

"I liked the last guy." Ron whispered back.

"Of course you did he was stupider than a broom." Hermione argued back.

"Guys." Harry hushed his friends.

"Professor Quinn would you please stand." Dumbledore addressed a woman at the end of the table. Salem quietly stood up and slightly nodded to Dumbledore. Then sat back down smirking to the shocked expressions across the hall.

"A girl!" Ron exclaimed.

"What’s wrong with a women teaching DADA?" Hermione demanded.

"What does a girl know about defense?" Ron stated as if this was a fact.

"Men are such pigs." Ginny Weasley smacked her brother.

Harry looked over at the teacher’s table at Professor Quinn. She looked up and caught his eyes. She smiled at him and gave a slight nod.

"She doesn’t look to bad. Maybe she knows what she’s doing." Harry added his opinion to the growing debate at the Gryffindor table.

A commotion by the front door pulled his attention away from Hermione and Ginny yelling at Ron. Draco had gotten up after the announcements and was leaving with his two guards. Blaise had stopped him and the two were having a heated conversation. Harry couldn't hear what was being said, but from the expressions it wasn't a pleasant conversation.

"Traitor!" Blaise hissed at Draco.

Draco looked at him then motioned for Crabbe and Goyle to continue without him.

"I don't know what you're talking about Blaise." Draco narrowed his eyes. He wasn't going to put up with a death-eater wannabe.

"You’ve betrayed your family and Lord." Blaise spat at him grabbing Draco's arm.

"Let go of me Blaise." Draco calmly removed Blaise’s hand. "I can't betray someone or something I didn't follow. I made my own path. I will not kiss Voldemort arse like my father or you."

"You will pay for the consequences of your stupidity." Blaise backed him up towards the wall.

"My stupidity." Draco pushed Blaise out of his way. "That's a joke. Voldemort will not survive. And I sure as hell don't plan on going down with him. So if you want to follow him go ahead. Just remember this conversation when you find yourself looking with fear at my wand."

"Are you threatening me?" Blaise stepped back.

"No, just stating a fact. Now I suggest you step aside and let me pass." Draco growled.

"Or what?"

"Or else detention Mr. Blaise." Snape stood behind the boys neither one had seen him come up.

"Professor Snape." Blaise backed off and walked away sending a warning look to Draco.

"Be careful Draco not all Slytherin’s think independently of their parents." Snape warned him. Draco nodded and headed towards the door. He caught Harry looking over at him and decided to through caution to the wind and smirked at him. Not his normal evil 'I hate you smirk' but one of those 'that was fun' smirks. Harry looked visibly shocked then laughed and smirked back. ‘Yep this is going to be an interesting year.’ He turned back to his friends who were still arguing. 'Hmm I wonder what Ron would do if I suggested we actually be friendly and talk to Draco. Probably have a heart attack.' He looked back over at the teacher’s table to see if the new professor was still there. She was talking to McGonagall. She sensed Harry looking over at her, so she nodded slightly and smiled back. She then quietly said something to McGonagall then got up and left the hall. Harry watched her leave out the side door.

"I have a feeling the new professor is going to be good." Harry commented.

"Why do you say that?" Ron asked.

"I don't know just something about her. I got the same feeling when I meet Lupin." Harry shrugged.

"Well we have DADA right after lunch with the Slytherins. If anything it won’t be boring." Ron commented grabbing another turkey leg.

"When has our life ever been boring?" Harry smiled brightly.

Everyone at the table laughed. Harry looked around at his friends. It was good to be home.

 

Chapter 8: What does a girl know about Defense?

Harry, Ron and Hermione walked into the classroom with eager anticipation. It was the first time they had been looking forward to DADA since Professor Lupin left. So far the first day of classes was going quite smoothly. Potions class was actually interesting, and amazingly Longbottom managed not blow anything up.

"So, what do you think about the Draco situation?" Hermione asked.

Draco and his two guards had sat quietly away from the rest of the Slytherins during Potions. There were no sarcastic taunts, no evil glares, not even a snide remark. Which made Ron even more suspicious that Malfoy was up to no good.

"I don’t know." Harry sat his books down on the desk. The collection of books the new professor assigned was an interesting assortment. Ironically, one of the books was one of Lockhart’s books about Werewolves, the second was the History of Dark Arts, the third was a basic training manual, and the last was a muggle book called Black Hawk Down. Hermione had all ready read the History of Dark Arts book and could actually quote back some passages. Ron stated that the muggle book was so interesting he had read it in one day. This comment had effectively shocked both of his friends.

"Draco situation? When did we start calling him Draco?" Ron sputtered. He was so sure Malfoy was up to no good. "Speaking of the twit."

Draco walked into the class followed, as always, by Crabbe and Goyle. He stopped at the door and surveyed the room. The room had been divided Slytherins on the left and Gryffindors on the right. Draco gave Blaise an evil glare and proceeded to sit behind Harry and friends.

"Good afternoon Harry." Draco greeted the trio and even dashed them a brilliant smile. "Hermione, Ron how is the first day of classes going?"

Ron physically fell out of his chair in shock. Hermione was speechless and Harry laughed out loud.

"Afternoon Draco," Harry smiled back. "So far so good. Haven’t lost any points, yet."

"Give it time Harry, you’re bound to get into trouble soon enough." Draco commented, looking over at Ron, who was getting back up into his chair. "Are you okay Ron?" Draco just couldn’t help himself. He wasn’t sure who had the best reaction Ron or Blaise, who was glaring at him from across the room.

Ron just stared at Draco mouth gaping. "Harry the world is coming to an end. Draco being nice has got to be a sign." Ron paused, "oh Merlin I called him Draco." He turned his back towards Draco and leaned his head on the desk with a sob. At that moment Ron’s life had completely turned upside down.

"Harry, I’m not sure if I ever introduced you to my friends." Draco pointed to his guards. "This is Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle."

Goyle leaned over to Hermione, who was still staring at Draco in shock. "Hermione, I wanted to compliment you on the Potions essay you wrote about the use of worm root in a sleeping potion. I found it very informative and helpful in figuring out the uses of that particular sleep potion."

Ron fell out of his chair for the second time in five minutes. Draco and Harry were laughing so hard that there were tears in their eyes. In that five minutes history had been made. The two rivals had set aside their difference and joined forces. Voldemort didn’t stand a chance.

Hermione was still sitting in shock when Professor Quinn came into the classroom. Harry grabbed her arm and turned her to face the front. Ron sheepishly got back up into his chair and faced forward trying to figure out what exactly just happened.

Quinn strolled to the front of the classroom turned and faced the students. She stood there quietly for a few seconds letting them get a good look at her as she observed them. The moment she had walked in she could feel the tension. It was a war zone, Gryffindors versus Slytherins. Ironically the strongest Slytherin was sitting on the Gryffindors side. It seemed Draco didn’t take after his father, and to Quinn that was a good thing.

"Afternoon class, I hope everyone has gotten a chance to go through their assigned books?" She stated. Hermione had come out of her stupor and nodded enthusiastically. McGonagall had mentioned Hermione's enthusiasm for class so Salem wasn’t surprised one bit.

"Lets start the lesson off with one simple question." Salem took a seat on her desk. "What does a girl know about defense?"

A small groan could be heard from the front desk. Hermione smirked as Ron for a second time laid his head down on the desk with a sob.

"Mr. Weasley would you care to answer the question?" Salem crossed her arms looking over at him.

Ron looked up and shyly stated. "Because it’s the job of the men to protect the women."

Salem smiled at him, "but what if the man isn’t around to protect her?"

Ron looked confused, "I don’t know. She would have to defend herself."

"Exactly! Next question how do you protect yourself from a wizard?"

"Counter spells?" Hermione raised her hand.

"Good Miss Granger, five points to Gryffindor, anything else?" Salem looked around.

"Blocking spells." Draco quietly added.

"Very good Mr. Malfoy, five points to Slytherin. Okay, then how does one protect themselves from a muggle?" Salem looked over at the Slytherins.

"Curse them." Blaise stated.

"Problem, under age wizards can’t use magic outside school grounds." Salem pointed out.

"Who cares about school rules?" Blaise sneered.

"You should Mr. Zabini, five points from Slytherin." Salem retorted back. "Any other ideas?"

"The muggle authorities?" Dean asked.

"Good answer Mr. Thomas." Salem smiled. "But what if this was an immediate threat and the authorities would not arrive in time?"

"Run away?" Lavender asked.

"A Gryffindor run, I thought they were noble and brave." Pansy smart mouthed.

"There is nothing wrong with running. If the situation is out of your control a tactful retreat is a good option." Salem sighed this was going to be a difficult class.

"Tae Kwon Do?" Harry cautiously commented.

Salem’s eyebrows raised, "thank you Mr. Potter, five points to Gryffindor, that is an answer I was looking for." Quinn addressed the class, " what Harry is suggesting is one should be able to defended themselves physically from an attack. Magic is a great tool, but there are times when a situation calls for a more physical defense."

Salem stood up and took off her wizard robes, exposing the muggle clothing underneath. She was wearing black jeans and her old army fatigues shirt over a black t-shirt. The jeans were tucked into her combat boots that she had shined that morning some things are just to en-grained. Salem set the robe down on her desk and walked to the back of the classroom. She opened the door to reveal Professor Snape, who didn’t look very happy. She walked back up to the front of the class with Snape following.

"Okay, class I’m going to give you a quick demonstration of an easy defense move that would be beneficial to all of you." She turned to Snape and grinned. "Okay Professor, attack me."

Snape eyebrows rose in question. "Excuse me, Professor."

"You heard me. Attack me." Salem smirked. "With out the wand. Physically attack me."

Snape mumbled something under his breath. "This is ridiculous I won’t be a part of it." He started to walk away but swiftly countered his movements and rushed Quinn. She was prepared for it and quickly stepped back slightly turning towards Snape putting her shoulder into his chest. With quick reflects she grabbed his arms and flipped him onto his back. It was over in about five seconds. She reached down to help Snape back up.

"First rule of any defense, wizard or muggle – Never underestimate your opponent the moment you do you loose." Salem smiled at Snape. "Thank you Professor for helping me with this demonstration."

Snape sneered and walked out. "I expect the return favor in Potions next class."

"Tomorrows class will be held out on the Quidditch field. I expect you to read the first chapter on basic training before tomorrow. Oh and wear muggle clothing under your robes, it would be easier to learn the techniques." Salem sat back on her desk quietly taking in the shocked expressions of the class. "A quick warning I’m not your typical professor here at Hogwarts. I trained as a Ranger, in the United States Army, for six years. I’ve been in combat and have faced down criminals wizards and muggles. So any tricks you think might work on me won’t. You see I am also one of the few American’s that has ever attained Hogwarts. If you want ask Professor McGonagall she will confirm that I knew how to get into trouble." She smirked remembering the days with the Marauders. "I could give a few of you a run for your money." She smiled at Harry. "Class dismissed."

The students started to pack up and leave. "Mr. Potter would you mind staying a few moments?"

"We will wait for you outside." Hermione stated pulling Ron out the door.

"Yes, Professor Quinn?" Harry asked a bit unsure.

"Harry you have nothing to fear from me. It’s just that, I wanted to talk to you a bit." Salem smiled slipping her robes back on. "Its amazing how much you look like James."

"You knew my father?" Harry was now intrigued.

"Of course I did. Lily and I shared dorm rooms since first year." Salem smiled.

"You knew my mother?" Harry eyes were wide. He was always hearing about his father but nothing much about his mother.

"We were best friends. I was there when you were born." Salem gave a small smile. "I didn’t take their deaths very well so I ran back to the states. I lost contact with the wizard world here in England. So when Dumbledore gave me this opportunity I couldn’t pass it up."

"Could you tell me about her?"

"Yes, I would like that very much, but right now you have classes and I have a meeting."

The two of them walked out of the classroom. Harry ran up to his friends to tell them the news.

"She knew my mom. She went to school with her." Harry stated excitedly. "It seems she was close with her, and left England shortly after they were killed."

"Why is she all of the sudden back?" Ron asked. "Are we sure we can trust her? No offense Harry, but there is any way to prove if she was a good friend with your mom or not. She could be lying to get close to you."

"I don’t think she’s lying." Harry commented. He knew Ron was trying to protect him, but this was the first time he had ever got to talk to someone to about his mother.

"Hey, why don’t you write Lupin and ‘Snuffles’ and ask them about her." Hermione suggested. "If she was friends with your mother then the Marauders would know her."

"That’s a good idea. I’ll send out Hedwig tonight." Harry commented as they walked towards Hagrid’s hut for their next class, Care for Magical Creatures.

*

In a small cottage just outside Dublin, Remus Lupin wandered around the kitchen looking for a late night snack. He was startled when Hedwig came flying through the open window and landed on the kitchen table. She hooted a greeting and waited patiently for Lupin to remove the letter from her leg.

"Well what do we have here?" Lupin took the letter from Hedwig and gave her head a scratch. He gave her a bite to eat; she hooted quietly and headed out the window back to Hogwarts.

"Snuffles, you have a letter." Lupin walked into the living room. Sirius Black was sitting on the couch looking over the latest Intel reports of Voldemort’s activities.

"A letter?" Sirius looked up at Remus.

"Its from Harry."

"Really?" he jumped up grabbing the letter out of Remus’s hand. "Wonder how he’s doing?"

"I’ll be in the kitchen fixing a snack, you want something?" Remus walked back into the kitchen to give Sirius some privacy.

"No thanks." Sirius stated opening the letter.

The next sound Remus heard was a startled cry and a resounding thud. He ran back into the living room to see Sirius getting off the floor.

"What does it say? Is he okay?" Remus was worried seeing Sirius this visibly upset.

Sirius just handed him the letter as he sat down on the couching holding his head with his hands. Remus quickly read the letter looking over at Sirius in shock.

"So what are you going to do?" Remus asked.

"Go say hello." Sirius commented as he stared intently into the fire.

 

Chapter 9: Halloween: A Night Full of Surprises

The nightmares were getting worse. Jake had awoken from a dead sleep by another one. Over the past few months he was getting less and less sleep. He sighed as he got out of bed pulling on his jogging pants and shirt. Instead of trying to go back to sleep he headed out towards the nest and use the gym. A good work out would easy his aching muscles and tired body. He also needed some time alone to think. When he pulled up into the parking lot he noticed Monica’s car.

"There goes the idea of being alone," Jake commented. Grabbing his gym bag he walked into the Nest.

Monica was sitting at the computer going over the profile of their newest assignment. A witchcraft cult had kidnapped a local college student and was believed to be preparing a sacrifice on Halloween. Which was today. The team wasn’t able to infiltrate the small close net group. The group was suspicious of everyone and trusted no one. Only way they were able to get any information was from Cody’s toys. Jake had been uncomfortable from the beginning with this case and the closer it go to Halloween the more agitated he had become.

He walked past Monica into the gym area dropping his bag and stripped off his shirt. He pulled on the boxing gloves and began pounding the punching bag.

"You look like hell," Monica gave him a once over.

"Thanks," he hit the bag with a right hook.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Come on Jake, something's bothering you. You’ve been off since the Grove case when Salem left."

"I don’t know what it is. I still can’t remember that night and it’s starting to weigh on me. This case isn’t helping, it’s creeping me out." Jake punched at the bags a few more times.

"This case is making us all jumpy. I can’t seem to get a grasp on these people." Monica looked bewildered.

"Are you still having nightmares?" Alex asked walked into the gym. Jake wasn’t the only one with the idea to beat on the punching bag to feel better.

"Yeah, they’re getting worse. I see witches and goblins. They are chasing me down on their brooms. Then I see Salem standing there with a wand pointing it at me and cursing me." Jake sat down taking off the gloves. "It’s this case, the sooner it’s over the happy I’ll be."

"That’s for sure." Cody added his two cents.

"What, is everyone here?" Jake commented. "Did we beat Donovan in?"

"No, he’s up in his office." Monica commented. "He’s just as anxious to get rid of the case as the rest of us."

The day dragged by with no information that would lead them to the cults location. The team was getting more agitated with each passing hour. The inaction was starting to eat at Jake.

"That’s it I can’t take it. I’m going out." Jake jumped up knocking over the chair startling everyone.

"Jake, sit down." Donovan demanded.

"Why? We can’t do anything. There is no information, no leads, no nothing." Jake yelled. He turned on his heel and walked out.

"Jake!" Alex called after him.

"I’ll go talk to him." Donovan got up and followed Jake out the door.

He found him pacing back and forth at the far end of the parking lot. Donovan watched him for a few seconds lost in his own thoughts. This case had put everyone on edge. He knew Jake was plagued by nightmares but didn’t know how to help him. Everything has been off since the Grove case. He got a glimpse of Jake under the streetlight. He looked as if he had been to hell shook hands with Satan and had just come back. Donovan walked across the parking lot towards Jake.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Donovan asked.

"No, yes, I don’t know what’s going on with me." Jake looked up at Donovan. "I’m tired maybe I need a vacation."

"You know we could all use a break. After this case, how about a week off?" Donovan questioned.

"Really, I think we could use it. The problem with being the best is we are always in demand." Jake smirked.

Donovan’s eyebrow rose at the comment. He was about to comment when a woman appeared out of nowhere in front of them. Jake jumped back and pulled his gun. She pulled out a wand muttered a command and the gun went flying. She then whipped around towards Donovan. Jake’s nightmare was coming true it was like his dream, a bright light and then nothing.

"Stupefy!" The woman yelled and Donovan fell over. She turned to Jake holding out her wand. "Don’t do anything stupid muggle."

"Who are you?" Jake demanded.

"A witch of course." She gave an evil smirk. "And now its time you find to discover that all is not what it seems. Stupefy." Jake fell to the ground.

The team was frantic Donovan and Jake had disappeared. When neither one of them had come back in they started to get worried and headed outside. The two were nowhere to be found. A search of the parking lot turned up nothing. Alex had screamed in frustration. They were at a lost, when all of the sudden Cody gave out a cry and ran back inside with Monica and Alex were on his heels. Cody ran up to the computers and started typing furiously.

"What is it Cody?" Monica asked.

"I can’t believe I almost forgot. I know how to find them." He stammered.

"How?" Alex came up to the terminals.

"Donovan had me put a homing device into his watch after the Bolivia incident. So if something like that happened again we would be able to locate him." Cody typed faster, "give me a few and I’ll know where he is."

"Lets just hope he’s wearing it. I would hate to raid his bathroom."

"Hmm there’s a scary mission." Cody tried to lighten the mood. "There he is. Looks like he’s on the outskirts of town."

"I’ll get the van." Monica yelled.

Cody grabbed the laptop, pulled out his weapon tucking it into his waistband. Alex looked at him puzzled.

"If these people can grab Donovan I’m taking every precaution."

"Good point." Alex went to the lockers pulling out some flax jackets and some extra weapons and clips. "Lets go."

The two headed out the door and into the van. The trip was conducted in silence. Each lost in their own thoughts and prayers. Alex wasn’t sure what she would do if they lost Jake or Donovan. Over the past few years they had learned to trust each other and build a family. They lost one leader the team wouldn’t survive the lost of a second. They pulled up to a National Park outside the city. They abandoned the van and headed out on foot. About a mile and half in they located a rather large cabin nestled within a clearing.

"According to the data Donovan should be in there." Cody stated.

"I’ll check the cabin." Alex took off towards the cabin.

"What do you think Monica?" Cody asked.

"To take Donovan and Jake the group is cocky. We can use that against them." Monica whispered.

"Okay, they are inside. There only looks to be about ten people, Jake and Donovan are awake and seated in the middle of the group." Alex reported her findings.

"What do we do?" Cody asked.

"I’m not sure yet." Alex sighed.

Inside the house Jake and Donovan sat on the floor in the middle of the living room. Jake looked around trying to see if there was anyway out of the situation. While Donovan tried negotiating with the group but they laughed it off.

"What the hell do you want?" Donovan was beyond simple negotiation he was pissed.

"Isn’t it obvious? Muggle." The witch that attacked them commented.

"No." Donovan retorted.

"Okay, let me spell it out to you. The poor college student that was kidnapped is part of our group. You see we really wanted Jake here. He screwed up our assignment for the Dark Lord and now he will pay. You were just in the way." She explained as if she was talking to a five year old.

"Dark Lord?" Donovan asked.

Jake just sat there quietly it was starting to come back to him. ‘The muggle deserves to know. You see boy you’re kind are finished. The Dark Lord has risen and will take control of the earth.’ Jake shook his head but the memories kept coming.

"Salem." He whispered.

"That’s right muggle. Salem your partner is a witch." She smirked. Turning towards the others. "Go ahead of me I’ll take care of these two."

"We will meet you at the airport." A young woman stated as she headed towards the fireplace. She through in some white powder, "Thomas Manor." then stepped into the fireplace and was gone. Others followed suit. Jake and Donovan just stared at the fireplace. The witch and the ‘kidnapped’ college student stayed behind.

"Now to deal with you two." The witch pulled out her wand.

"Killing us will just get the Feds to come after you." Donovan commented as he jumped up off the floor.

"Fools your muggle authority can’t touch us." The college kid laughed. He dragged Jake up from the floor. Jake was waiting for an opportunity like this and took it. He fell into the kid knocking him to the ground. Elbowing him in the face he rolled him over pulling out the wand. He jumped up pointed it at the witch. "Stupefy!"

The witch looked over at Jake her smirk turning into a frown as a white light came out of the wand and hit her. She fell to the ground with a shocked expression. The kid jumped up from the floor staring at Jake.

"You’re not supposed to be able to do that. You’re a muggle." His eyes were wide with a twinge of fear.

Jake pointed the wand again, "Stupefy!" The kid fell next to the witch. The front door burst open. Alex ran in gun drawn. Cody and Monica followed behind covering her. Alex lowered her weapon and looked over at Jake whose eyes were wide staring at the wand in his hand.

"Jake, Donovan are you okay?" Alex asked.

Cody stopped in his tracks looking at the two bodies. "Are they dead?"

"No, they seem to be in a coma of some sort." Donovan stood up after examining the bodies. He looked over at Cody, "how did you get here?"

Cody smirked, "your watch."

Donovan smiled back, "its about time."

He then looked over at Jake who was frozen to the spot looking between the wand and the bodies. Jake looked up at Donovan. He didn’t understand what was going on. How did he do that? He remembered Salem doing the same thing, but how could he? He looked over at Donovan confused. He had a pleading look that wanted Donovan to explain this to him. But Donovan was looking at Jake with the same look. Donovan had seen a lot of things in his life but this was beyond his comprehension. Jake had just knocked two people with a flick of that stick. How did he do that?

Salem Quinn sat at her desk grading papers while the students enjoyed the Halloween festivals. She had been at Hogwarts for two months now and it was starting to feel like home again. She enjoyed her talks with Harry, even though it had taken a while for him to trust her. Ron had convinced him that Salem was a death-eater. Salem laughed quietly thinking about the confrontation in Dumbledore's office.

-------------

She had kept Harry after class to ask him about Sirius if he had been in contact with him. Harry had panicked thinking she was trying to get information to capture his godfather. The next morning she was called into Dumbledore's office.

"You wanted to see me, Albus?" Salem asked entering his office. She was a bit surprised to see Harry and his friends sitting on the couch.

"Yes, Professor Quinn, I did want to see you." Dumbledore smiled and gestured for her to sit down. "It seems young Harry and his friends think you're a death-eater in disguise and trying to find Sirius Black and turn him over to Voldemort."

Salem blinked then started laughing hysterically. Ron's eyes went wide as he stared at her. "You see Professor she's insane."

Salem stopped laughing and grinned at Dumbledore. "Thank you I need a good laugh." She took a deep breath, "now why do you think I'm a death-eater?"

Ron looked at Hermione for help. She just looked back at him. "Go ahead Ron and explain why you think Professor Quinn was a death-eater."

"Well... you see ... there was this feeling ... that ... well all our previous DADA were." Ron looked sheepishly.

"What about Professor Lupin?" Salem asked.

"He was an exception." Ron stated.

"When you asked about Sirius I panicked." Harry explained.

"I'm sorry Harry I didn't mean to scare you. I knew all the Marauders Remus, Sirius, James, and even Peter. So I figured since Sirius had been last seen at Hogwarts I wanted to ask if you got a chance to talk with him. I can tell you all about your mother but he can tell you the stories about James." Salem smiled at him. "But if you still doubt me talk to McGonagall or even Snape."

Salem nodded at Dumbledore at headed towards the door. Harry jumped off the couch, "Wait, professor."

"Yes Harry?"

"Can we talk on the way back to the classroom?"

"Sure that would be nice."

Harry and her talked for most of the afternoon about James and Lily even Remus and Sirius. Ron showed up at one point and apologized for his behavior. He was protective of Harry and for that Salem was thankful.

----------------------

Nothing out of the ordinary had happened since then, well except the fact Harry and Draco had become friends. But everyone was getting used to the idea, except for a few Slytherins. It wasn’t uncommon to see the six hanging out together. As a matter of fact Gregory and Hermione had become great study partners. They two had bonded over the difficulty of getting their friends to study.

The only downside was that Salem hadn't heard from Remus. She knew Harry was in contact with him, and knew Harry had mentioned her a time or two. She really missed her old friends.

"Be honest with yourself, Salem, you want information about Sirius." She muttered to herself. "Maybe it’s for the best. Now I just need to stop talking to myself."

She finished with one stack of papers and started on the second. The third year Hufflepuffs were a joyous group to teach. She enjoyed grading their papers they were the most creative pieces she had ever seen.

A black dog ran up the path that lead up to the castle’s front doors. It sat down in front of the doors panting out of breath. He whined hoping someone would hear him and open the door. His patience paid off when Filch opened the door to see what the commotion was about. The dog slinked into the dark corner and waited for the opportunity to sneak in. When Filch stepped outside to look around, the dog snuck behind him and ran towards the great hall. The dog stopped every once in a while to sniff the ground or corner then head off in another direction following the trail. The dog stopped at one of the classrooms sniffed the door and whined. It looked around then transformed into Sirius Black.

Sirius stood in front of the door and for the first time in a while he was unsure of himself. The love of his life was behind that door and he hadn’t seen her in fifteen years. ‘Damn it Sirius you have escaped Azkaban, faced death-eaters, and now your standing in the hallway afraid to open a door.’ He reminded himself this wasn’t just any door, but her door. She was mostly likely to be behind it and even more importantly armed. He took a deep breath, turned the handle and walked in.

Salem was concentrating so hard on the scrolls in front of her that she didn’t hear the door open. It wasn’t until Sirius stood in front of her desk when she heard a slight noise and looked up, straight into the blue eyes of Sirius Black. The man she was just thinking about, the man she hadn’t seen in fifteen years. The man that haunted her dreams at night, the man she still loved. She gasped and jumped out of her chair. Salem walked out from behind her desk looking at him with confusion and doubt.

Sirius smiled at her, "hello love."

Salem cocked her head and hit him square on the jaw. "Hello back."

Sirius fell back into one of the student’s desk. "You still have a mean right hook."

Salem eyed him carefully. She walked over to him and grabbed his shirtfront pulling him into a passionate kiss. Sirius moaned into her mouth, it had been way to long since he had tasted her. He pushed her back onto the teacher’s desk trying desperately to get closer. Her legs wrapped around his waist making him moan again. He responded to her touch by pulling her shirt out of her jeans and slipping his hands underneath.

A small noise had caught their attention. They quickly pulled apart, looking for the disturbance. Standing in the doorway was Harry Potter.

"Hi, is there something you two want to tell me?" he smiled sheepishly.

 

 

Chapter 10: Hogsmeade

Jake was starting to recover from the incident at the cabin with the help of Monica. Monica had explained to the group that some people believe so much in their fantasies that their mind makes it real. So in truth Jake didn’t stun the women with magic, but instead she truly believed that she was a witch and responded to Jakes command to freeze. Jake seemed to accept the explanation but there was doubt in the back of his mind. What about Salem?

It had been over a month since the incident and everything seemed to be getting back to normal. Jake was starting to calm down and actually get some needed sleep. The cases were light but enough to get him back into the swing of things. The Holidays were approaching; Cody was trying to convince Donovan in playing Santa at the policemen’s ball. He wasn’t interested.

Donovan gave Cody the final look that said ‘NO!’ Cody finally dropped it and went back to working on the computers. Donovan looked over at Jake who was laughing with Alex over an incident in the last case. Her landlady thought Alex was doing drugs and had called the police on her. Ironically it helped her cover but it took her a week to convince the landlady that it was a mistake and to let her back into the apartment. She ended up staying at the orphanage with Jake for a few days. It was good to see him laughing again. The past month had been good to Jake. He seemed to be sleeping better and not as jumpy.

Donovan had accepted Monica’s explanation but like Jake he knew something was missing and that missing piece was Salem. He couldn’t help shake this feeling that there would be more questions before answers. Right now he put it in the back of his mind. There were more important issues, like their next case.


Draco was shopping in one of the many shops at Hogsmeade. This year with the rise of Voldemort only fifth years and above could go to Hogsmeade, and they were to be escorted. The group of friends had split up to buy each other’s Christmas gifts. They were all staying at Hogwarts over the holidays and had decided to make it special. He had found gifts for everyone except Weasley.

"What do I get Weasley?" he looked around hoping something would catch his eye. He was about to give up when he saw it. It was perfect, Draco thought. He purchased the item and headed out the door. Everyone was to meet back at Honeydukes after they finished their shopping. When he turned the corner a sudden cold sinisation enveloped him. Then he heard the voice.

"Draco." Draco stiffened and turned around to the see Lucius Malfoy.

"Lucius." He wasn’t about to let his father know or sense his fear.

"The Dark Lord isn’t happy with you." Lucius spat at him.

"Really, that’s to bad." Draco spat right back. He knew this game and how to play it.

Lucius grabbed his son by the arm. "Its time for you to come home, boy!"

"I’m not going anywhere with you." Draco yelled hoping someone would hear.

"Oh, yes, you will." Lucius began to drag him down the ally, away from Hogsmeade. Draco began to panic; he pulled away and kicked out connecting with Lucius knee. Lucius let go from the impact and Draco ran. His one mistake was he ran towards the Shrieking Shack instead of Hogsmeade.

Harry sat outside Honeydukes with Ron and Crabbe waiting for the rest of the group. These past few months had been interesting. Who knew they would become friends with Draco? Hermione and Goyle walked up to them smiling. She had a new book under her arm.

"Hermione, were supposed to be buying gifts for others." Ron pointed at the book.

"Its about the Muggle Military I thought Professor Quinn would like it." She stated plainly.

"Speaking of Professor Quinn is there something you’re not telling us Harry. Ever sine Halloween, the two of you seem to have a some sort of secret." Ron asked suspiciously.

"I don’t know what you mean, Ron." Harry commented. In truth he did know, but he couldn’t tell Ron. Salem had sworn him to secrecy. It was to protect Sirius the last thing he needed was for the wrong person to find out about her and Sirius and use it against him. Plus the two of them needed time to come to terms with each other. They had been apart for fifteen years and they had a lot of issues to deal with. The last thing they needed was for everyone to start asking questions. Harry agreed and had kept their secret. On the one condition he gets to here the whole story. He still hasn’t heard it.

They heard a cry coming from the Shrieking Shack it sounded a lot like Draco. Harry looked over at his friends and took off. Lucius had tackled Draco to the ground and was trying to drag him towards the wooded area. Draco had rolled onto his side and kicked Lucius in the chest. He the rolled quickly again and jumped up.

"Who knew that would actually work?" Draco commented. "Note to self thank Quinn later."

"That’s enough games boy." Lucius took a step towards him pulling out his wand.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry screamed. Lucius wand went flying. Lucius looked over at Harry with hatred in his eyes.

"You think that will stop me?" Lucius snapped his finger and two other men came out of the woods. To Harry’s right he saw Ron and Crabbe rush by tackling one of the men. Goyle pulled his wand and screamed "Stupefy!" taking out the second. In the commotion Lucius grabbed Draco and his wand off the ground.

"Hoo-ah!" Quinn came out of nowhere slamming into Lucius knocking him away from Draco and down the hill. Behind her were Snape and Sirius. Sirius pulled Ron and Crabbe off the first man yanking the man to his feet. Snape unfroze the second pushing him towards the first. Lucius got up off the ground and looked up the hill at Quinn.

"This isn’t over." He sneered.

"Yeah, like I haven’t heard that line before." Quinn yelled back.

Lucius Apparated back to Malfoy Manor swearing revenge against his ungrateful son. Salem turned towards Draco. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, by the way those moves really do work." He smiled.

"So you were listening." She mocked.

"Don’t tell anyone."

"I won’t, it will be our secret." She smiled. She turned to see Snape and Sirius arguing. "Boys can you stop for five minutes."

"Yes, dear." Sirius commented then looked up sheepishly. Salem just smiled. "That secrets out the bag."

"So that’s what you have been hiding Harry Potter." Hermione pointed at him.

Harry just smiled at her. "What?"

"Oh Please. Can we get these two back to Hogwarts to find out what is going on." Snape growled, grabbing one of the men and headed towards Hogwarts. Sirius pushed the second forward and followed Snape. Harry followed Sirius with Hermione behind him. Salem walked with Draco and Goyle while Ron and Crabbe came up the rear.

"How did you find us?" Draco asked Salem while walking back to Hogwarts.

"Hermione made a tactful retreat. She came looking for re-enforcements in the guise of Sirius, Snape, and myself." Salem answered.

"What was that you yelled right before you knocked him over?"

"It’s a war yell we used in the Rangers. Kind of like a calling card." Salem informed him.

"Cool. Are we going to learn any more of those moves?"

"You’ve only just begun to learn the ways of the force my young apprentice?"

"What?" Draco looked confused.

"Sorry reference to a Muggle movie. I meant to say I’ve only taught the basics over time the training will get more intense."


The small group was crowded into Dumbledore’s office. Harry sat next to Hermione and Ron on the small couch off to the side. Draco sat next to Snape with Goyle and Crabbe standing behind him. Harry was amazed at the loyalty those two showed. They defied their own fathers to defend Draco. He knew Draco couldn’t be that evil of a guy, annoying, but not evil, if he evoked that much loyalty. He looked over at Ron and Hermione wondering what he did to deserve such loyalty from them. He looked over at Salem who was standing next to Sirius across the room.

"Unfortunately, since you came to young Draco’s rescue your spying days are over, Severus." Dumbledore stated.

"Yes I know Albus, it is probably is a good thing since he was getting a bit suspicious." Snape commented.

"Sir?" Draco was a bit hesitant as he kept eyeing Black.

"Ye, Draco." Dumbledore smiled at him.

"What is Sirius Black doing here? Didn’t he kill Harry’s parents?" Draco looked over at Harry.

"No, I didn’t." Sirius stepped away from the wall. "It was Peter Pettigrew who was the Potters secret-keeper. He betrayed them and framed me. Then hid as Ron’s rat for years."

"Please don’t bring that up. I still get upset knowing he lived in my house." Ron quietly commented.

Draco looked at Sirius then Harry. Snape sighed, "It’s true, as much as I hate to admit this Black is innocent. While spying on Voldemort I encountered Pettigrew."

Draco looked a bit overwhelmed but remained quiet.

"So what about Lucius?" Sirius turned towards Dumbledore.

"We have to figure out how to get information without Snape." Salem added.

"All the meetings are at Malfoy Manor." Snape commented. "If we could get someone on the inside we could get the information we need."

"No way, you can’t get anyone in there. Lucius will be suspicious of anyone new. Besides it’s too well guarded. There are too many spells and protections on it that it’s impossible for us to place any spells on it without Lucius knowing about it." Draco stated, "I should know I lived there."

The room erupted with chatter. Snape and Sirius argued. Draco was adamant about no one getting into the Manor.

"What if we didn’t use any spells, but muggle technology?" Salem asked.

"What?" Draco looked up.

"What if there was a way to listen in on their meetings that was non-magic? The protection spells won’t pick up on something that is run by muggle technology." Salem thought out loud.

"True, I guess but what Muggle technology could listen in on a conversation." Sirius stated.

"A bug." Salem smiled.

"What type of bug? And wouldn’t the house elves kill it." Ron asked.

"No not a bug bug, but a listening device." Hermione stated.

"A what?" Ron looked confused along with a few others.

"Like James Bond." Harry smiled.

"Exactly." Salem grinned.

"If this device works where do we get them? And how do we get them into the manor its not like any of us can do it." Draco asked.

"I know some people who would be perfect." Salem grinned.

 

Chapter 11: A New Assignment

Donovan was in shock, and to shock him was quite a feat. The phone was still in his hand five minutes after Bloom hung up. He looked at the phone, shook his head, blinked a few times and hung it back on the receiver. He sighed and leaned back in his chair resting his head back. He took a few minutes to calm himself before he went downstairs to inform the troops of the change in plans.

"There goes our vacation for the holidays." He muttered to himself. He got up out of his chair and walked to the top of the stairs. He stopped for a moment to look down at his team. They were listening to Christmas Carols and laughing with each other. They had come a long way over the past few years becoming a well-rounded unit, a family. He was very proud of them. Most of the assignments he took were because he knew they could handle anything Bloom threw their way, but this assignment came out of nowhere. Donovan walked down the stairs towards the computer terminals. Cody looked up from his computer and smiled. He was wearing a Santa hat with a big jingle ball on the tip. He looked like a complete idiot and loved every moment of it.

"I have an announcement." Donovan leaned against the railing looking at everyone.

"You're going to give us a Christmas bonus?" Jake grinned.

"Wish us a safe and happy holidays and let us out early?" Cody asked spinning in his chair.

Donovan's face had a sobering effect on the team. He didn't look happy as a matter of fact he looked a bit pale.

"What is it boss?" Alex sat up in her chair. "Quito? Sonny?"

"Nothing like that, " he paused for a second then continued. "Vacation has been cancelled..."

"What? Why?" Jake and Alex jumped out of their chairs.

"If you two would sit down I will explain." He looked at them pointedly. "I got a phone call from Bloom we have been assigned to Scotland Yard, Ministry Division."

"Excuse me Scotland Yard? As in England?" Cody asked puzzled.

"Yes Cody, London, England. We leave in six hours. There will be a plane waiting for us at O'Hare airport at terminal 1A; it is a private terminal so we won't have to go through Airport Security. We will have enough time to go and pack a few things and get to the airport." Donovan looked at everyone, "any questions?"

"Yeah, I have one. Why are we going to England?" Jake asked.

"Bloom wasn't very forthcoming..."

"Why am I not surprised?" Cody muttered.

"All he mentioned was that he got a call from a high ranking official in the CIA asking that our team be sent to London, England on a special assignment. When Bloom asked why, the only answer was given was that we were specifically asked for by the Ministry." Donovan explained.

"Ministry?" Monica asked getting out of her chair. "What department is that?"

"I have no idea. I have never heard of them. The only information Bloom was able to get out of the man was that this had something to do with the Riddle case." Donovan looked over at Jake measuring the man's response.

"Riddle? As in the Grove case?" Jake looked uneasy.

"I'm not exactly sure. The only thing we can do is get our stuff together and head towards the airport. Cody I want you to pack up our equipment." Donovan turned towards Cody.

"What this Ministry doesn't have any equipment we can use?" Cody looked baffled.

"It was specifically stated that we were to bring all of our equipment. It will probably be for the best. I would be more comfortable with our equipment than borrowing someone else's." Donovan headed up towards his office to pack a few things he would need.

Jake looked over at Alex and shrugged. "How come I have a bad feeling about this?"

"Cause we all do." Cody commented pulling together his equipment.


Four hours later the team was standing on the runway next to a private jet loading up their luggage and equipment. Monica and Cody had packed all of the equipment and loaded it into the van headed towards the airport. They picked up Alex and Jake on their way and met Donovan at the front terminal.

"Man, Cody, we can't take you anywhere." Jake smiled counting the pieces of luggage Cody brought with him.

"Haha, funny Jake. This is delicate equipment that had to be specially packed for shipment. It was no easy task to complete." Cody stated checking and rechecking each of the containers.

"How many containers do you have?" Donovan asked putting his luggage onto the plane.

"Let's see four containers of computer equipment, three of sound equipment, five video surveillance, and two networking containers. Not including my own personal luggage of one suitcase, garment bag, and laptop case." Cody pointed out each of the different containers.

"Is that all the equipment?" Donovan asked.

"As much of it as I could pack. There will be a few things I will have to get when I get there. But overall, once we get there we could be up and running within a few hours." Cody smiled 'damn I'm good.'

"Good work. Everyone get their stuff on board?" He looked at the team.

"Yeah boss, everything is on board we just need to get on and we are off." Monica stated heading towards the stairs.

"Let's go then." Donovan followed Monica up the stairs into the plane. Cody took one last inventory and bounded up the stairs. Alex and Jake stood there a few minutes then boarded the plane. Jake knew nothing would be the same after this mission. He just wasn’t sure if that was good or bad.

Sixteen hours later a very tired and cranky team stepped off the plane into Heathrow Airport just outside London.

"What time is it?" Jake asked picking up his luggage.

"What day is it?" Cody asked.

"It's Dec 22nd at 8:36am." Donovan stated.

"How does he do that?" Cody asked Monica.

"I have no clue." She smiled.

An airport employee walked up to them pulling behind him a luggage cart. "Here let me get your things."

"Thank you we have some sensitive equipment still on the plane." Donovan pointed the man towards Cody. "He will help you get everything unloaded."

"Boss where should I meet you?" Cody yelled after him.

"At the terminal entrance, there should be someone from this Ministry waiting for us." Donovan and the rest of the team headed towards the front terminals.

Arthur Weasley was beside himself. He was not only going to talk with muggles, but muggles from America, and even better they were from the muggle authority system. He was fascinated in the difference between the Auror's and muggle 'cops' as he once heard them called. Salem had told him to stand here holding a sign that said ‘Donovan’. Somehow the sign would attract them to him. He had been standing there for an hour now and so far no one had showed up. Arthur was getting a bit worried when he saw a tall man walking towards him. The man was around 6'2" the same height has his youngest son. He had short dark hair with a bit of silver on the sides. He had a presence about him. It was obvious this man was a leader and you wanted to be on his good side.

The man stepped in front of Arthur; "I'm Donovan."

"Good you're here I was getting a bit worried. I'm not accustomed to the airport or its schedules." Arthur smiled brightly at them.

"Are you with the Ministry?" Jake asked setting down his bag.

"Yes, I am. I'm in charge of the Muggle Technology Department." Arthur beamed proudly. "Is everyone here? I have specific instructions to take you to King's Cross Station."

"We are waiting for one member and our equipment." Donovan stated.

"Yes equipment. So how was the flight? Tell me all about this airplane? How does it fly?" Arthur asked excitedly.

Jake just looked at him with a blank expression. "You don't get out much do you?"

"No, not really I tend to stay at the Burrow with my family when I'm not working."

"Family?" Monica asked.

"Oh how rude of me. Let me introduce myself. I'm Arthur Weasley." he put his hand out towards Donovan.

"Frank Donovan." he shook Arthur's hand. "This is my team. Jake Shaw, Alex Cross, Monica Davis, and the young man coming up with the luggage is Cody."

"Nice to meet you all. Is that all your luggage?" Author looked at the pile of containers.

"Unfortunately yes." Donovan smiled. "I hope it won’t be to much trouble."

"No, no trouble." Cody walked up dumping his bags next to Jake’s. Arthur smiled at him, "now that you're all here let's get to the car and head to Kings Cross."

He turned and headed towards the front of the terminals. They stopped in front of an old black sedan. There was no way all of them and the luggage were going to fit. Arthur opened the back door and motioned them to get in.

"Go ahead and settle in, while I store the luggage." He smiled at them and headed towards the back of the car.

"There is no way we are going to fit in there." Cody pointed at the backseat.

"I have eight kids and they fit." Arthur stated from behind the car.

Cody shrugged and climbed in followed by Monica, Alex, and Jake. He slid to the far side and looked out the back window, "no way is he going to get all that luggage in the trunk. Wait how did we all fit?"

Cody looked over at Jake who just slammed the door shut. They were all seated comfortably with room to spare. Donovan climbed into the front seat and turned to look at his team. He was a bit surprised to see them comfortably sitting. "Must be roomier than it looks." They heard the trunk
slam shut and the driver door open and Arthur getting behind the wheel. Cody looked out the back window to see that all of the containers had been put away. He shook his head and turned forward.

"There we go all set. Everyone buckled up?" He smiled at everyone. "Okay lets see I read the manual put into first, check mirrors, okay, check traffic, right lets go."

Arthur pulled into on going traffic, zoomed across the road, and made a quick right turn barely missing five cars. Donovan stoically looked forward, while Jake said a few Hail Mary’s.

---------------------

Severus Snape sat on a bench contemplating how he got into this position. He looked over at Remus giving him an evil glare.

"Come on Snape where is your sense of adventure?" Remus laughed petting the black dog at his feet.

"I lost it in my sixth year when Black there tried to kill me." He sneered at the dog. The dog just wagged his tail and barked.

"Could you have at least worn something other than black?" Remus snickered.

"I’m stuck here wearing muggle clothing, in a muggle place surrounded by muggles." He commented trying to blend into the shadows.

"Poor Snape there are muggles everywhere." Remus laughed.

"When is Weasley supposed to show up with this group Salem is claiming would be perfect?" Snape said with contempt. The dog began to growl at Snape giving him an evil glare. "Go ahead ‘Snuffles’ bite me."

"Don’t tempt him." Remus pointed out.

--------------------

As soon as the car stopped Donovan was out standing on the curb praising any deity out there that he was still alive. Jake followed suite still muttering a Hail Mary. The rest of the team piled out stumbling onto the curb. Cody actually kissed the curb thankful to be alive. Arthur calming got out of the car and began unloading the luggage.

"Right now if one you wouldn’t mind getting a luggage cart I will unpack these cartons and we can get you to the train." He smiled warmly at them. Cody ran off to find a cart while Alex pulled out a cigarette. She noticed Donovan looking at her, she light it and inhaled.

"Don’t even comment."

"I wasn’t going to, after that ride I was tempted to ask for one." He smiled at her.

Cody came back with the cart to see that Arthur had pulled out the luggage and set it nicely on the curb. Cody took a peak into the trunk to see how large it really was, the problem, it was a normal size trunk. He shuck his head and turned to ask Arthur how he got the luggage into the trunk when he noticed that Arthur was getting back into the car.

"Mr. Weasley where do we go now?" Cody asked.

"Oh yes, sorry lots of things to do at the office. Just head towards platform 9 ¾ Remus will escort you to the train and onto Hogwarts. When you get there say hello to my son Ron for me." He waved goodbye got into the car and speed off into traffic. Once again barely missing a few cars.

"London driving scares me." Cody looked over at Donovan.

"You should see Paris." Donovan commented picking up his bags. "Okay lets go find Platform 9 3/4."

"9 3/4 that is an odd number for a platform." Alex commented.

"Must be metric system." Monica stated following Donovan.

"So far this Ministry isn’t impressing me much." Jake commented. "First we almost get killed by Mr. Weasley’s driving and now we have to find our own train."

"The sooner we find this Remus the sooner we get to this Hogwarts the sooner we find out what’s going on and hopefully get some food and sleep." Donovan yelled back.

After a few minutes of searching for Platform 9 3/4 they decided to ask for some help. The information booth ended up not being much help since he had never heard of Platform 9 3/4 and made some rude comment about stupid American’s. Donovan figured their best bet was to head towards platform’s 9 and 10 and go from there.

Remus picked them out of the crowd instantaneously. They looked lost, tired and very unhappy. Besides Salem had described Donovan to a tee.

"Look for the taller man who will be in front. He will probably be in a black turtleneck with beige pants. His hair is short with gray streaks on the side. He will have a presence about him. One that says don’t mess with me and if you do I will destroy your life."

Remus almost laughed when he saw Donovan, ‘yep she had him pegged.’

"You must be Frank Donovan." Remus smiled sticking out his hand, "I’m Remus Lupin, and this is my colleague Severus Snape."

‘This assignment just gets weirder by the moment.’ Jake thought to himself. He eyed the two men in front of him. Severus didn’t look at all comfortable with his surroundings. He just scowled at anyone that came to close. Remus on the other hand seemed friendly and quite pleasant. Monica and Alex were cooing over the black dog Remus had with him. The dog seemed out of place. It was calm, well behaved and it seemed to be following the conversation. ‘I must be tired.’ Jake figured.

"I hope your trip was pleasant. Did you have any problems? I know it was short notice but we are thankful you guys are here." Remus stated.

"By the way who asked for us?" Donovan asked.

"You will see when we get to Hogwarts." Remus smirked then turned to the dog, "Snuffles come here and leave those nice ladies alone."

"Since we are short on time, and I so desperately want to leave this fowl place, I say we get on board the train and head out." Snape commented heading towards the brick wall.

Cody looked at Monica, "Where is the train?"

"I don’t know all I see is platform 9 and 10 no 9 3/4." She commented back.

"Excuse me but where exactly are we going?" Donovan asked Remus.

"We are taking the Hogwarts Express to Hogwarts." He smiled and headed towards the same brick wall.

Then the most astonishing thing happened. Snape disappeared through the wall. Jake dropped his bags and stared. Alex squeaked and fell behind Donovan. Cody and Monica both just stared at the empty wall.

"Where did he go?" Donovan asked hoping he didn’t sound as worried as he felt.

"To platform 9 3/4." Remus stated, "Here let me help with your stuff."

"How did he do that?" Cody asked.

"It’s not difficult. Just walk towards the wall and go through it. I would suggest you run through it makes it easier the first time through." He picked up Jake’s fallen luggage and headed through the wall. The team just stood there and stared. A few seconds later both Snape and Remus came back through.

"Are you muggles coming?" Snape demanded.

"Severus don’t be hard on them it’s a bit intimidating the first time." Remus smiled and walked over to Monica. "Take my hand."

Monica tentatively took his hand and followed him towards the wall. Remus quickly looked around and quickly pulled her through. Monica turned around to see the brick wall behind her. She then turned and looked around her. The train was beautiful it had an old classic feel to it. Monica just stared in awe, while Remus went back through the wall to get the other members of the team. Snape came through with Cody being dragged behind him.

"Cody, are you okay?" Monica asked

"Yeah Mr. Personality here just threw me at the wall. I saw my life flash before me."

"Look around."

"Wow cool train!"

Jake came flying threw falling into Cody sending the two of them onto the platform floor.

"Watch it Jake."

"Sorry, Cody but the grumpy one threw me through the wall."

"Donovan or that Snape guy." Cody smirked.

"The Snape guy. I never thought I would see the day when someone would out scowl Donovan." Jake got off the ground just in time to catch Alex.

"The man’s a brute." She commented. "Thanks Jake."

"Welcome, to bad we are missing the confrontation between him and Donovan."

"That would be a sight I would pay to see." Cody smiled.

Snape walked through the wall followed closely by Donovan who was pushing the luggage cart and Remus following behind him carrying a few bags. The dog bounded through the wall and down the platform towards the train. Donovan gave an evil glare towards Snape turning towards his team.

"Everyone okay?"

"Yeah boss, a little bruised but fine." Jake rubbed his hip.

The luggage was stored in the luggage compartment and everyone boarded the train. The team was in a separate compartment from Remus and Severus. Severus had changed back into his robes along with Remus.

"I don’t see what so special about them." Severus commented.

"Shut-up Snape." Sirius turned back into his human form.

"It’s that equipment they are caring that is important." Remus pointed out.

"I thought these bugs were supposed to be small that looks pretty large to me." Severus stated.

"Maybe they shrink it?" Sirius reasoned. "Besides we have to trust Salem with this, she has the most experience with Muggle technology that we do."

"Of course you trust her your sleeping with her." Severus rolled his eyes.

"Watch it Snape or I will bite you." Sirius advanced towards him.

"Both of you knock it off, or I’ll tell Salem. She would hurt both of you." Remus said sitting by the window. "We have an hour trip ahead of us so just relax and keep quiet."

In the compartment next door the team was silently looking out the window. Each try to come to terms with what was going on.

Jake was the first to speak up. "What was with the wall?"

"Hologram I suspect, they must have a private rail line and don’t want tourists stumbling upon it." Donovan stated watching the scenery go by.

"I don’t like this Donovan." Monica stated. "We know nothing about these people."

"We will have to wait and see. Once we get to this Hogwarts we should learn more of what’s going on." Donovan looked over at her.

The team fell into another silence and watched the scenery go by. Jake was busy running things through his head, ‘Snape called us muggles. That’s not the first time I heard that, first was with Salem then with that witch.’ He kept replaying the incident on Halloween through his head finding more and more holes in Monica’s theory. ‘What if there is witches and some of them were sitting across from us.’ Jake was so lost in his thoughts he didn’t notice the train stopping until Donovan tapped him on the shoulder.

"We’re here." Donovan pointed out the window. Jake got up and followed him off the train. The first thing he noticed was that Snape was now wearing some sort of robe instead of the pants and shirt he had on earlier. Remus also seemed to have changed. He stepped off the train and ran smack into Donovan’s back.

"What?" Jake asked then he looked past Donovan. "What the hell?"

"C’mon, follow me. Supposed to take you to Dumbledore." Hagrid stated looking at the team. He turned and headed towards some carriages that stood by the train platform.

"What or who is that?" Cody said in a whisper.

"I don’t know." Monica looked at Donovan.

"He’s harmless that’s Hagrid Keeper of Keys and teaches Care for Magical Creatures." Remus smiled and walked towards the carriages. He got in the first one with Snape. Donovan got into the second carriage, followed by Jake, Cody and Monica.

"No more’n four to a carriage. You could ride with Professor Lupin." Hagrid smiled.

Alex looked pleadingly at Jake, who shrugged and got into his carriage. Alex looked up to see Remus holding out his hand to help her up. "Don’t worry miss I don’t bite."

"Only on a full moon." Snape smirked.

"Severus did you just make a joke?" Remus looked shock.

"I’ll deny it."

Remus just sat back and laughed. The ride to the castle was breathtaking. Alex kept looking out the window at the sprawling landscape and rich forest.

"The forest is beautiful." She commented.

"Its also dangerous, there are creatures in there that will kill anyone who enters." Snape said matter of fact.

"Oh." She sat back in her seat and petted the black dog.

The second carriage was quiet no one was talking about what they were witnessing. Jake looked out the window to watch the trees go by. He then leaned forward and peered out the window. He could see just on the tree line a horse running, but it wasn’t just a horse, a centaur? He blinked and it was gone. He looked across the seat at Cody wondering if he had seen it. Cody looked up at Jake with wide eyes, he had.

The carriages came to a stop and the door opened. Donovan stepped out to the sight of a grand staircase leading up to a castle. Snape and Remus headed up the stairs towards the front doors.

"Some headquarters." Cody whistled.

The team followed Remus up the steps and into the castle. They stood in a magnificent entryway. An old man stood there waiting for them. He was wearing dark blue robes with stars and moons embroidered on it. He had a large pointy hat, a long white beard and specks sitting on his noise. His eyes sparkled with joy and mirth.

"Its Merlin." Cody wide eyed stated.

"No, I’m not Merlin he died many centuries ago. My name is Albus Dumbledore. Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." He smiled at them. "Mr. Donovan I have set up rooms for you and your team. After you freshen up you’re welcome to join the staff and students who stayed for the Holidays at dinner."

"Dumbledore we don’t want to scare them off to soon."

They turned towards the familiar voice. It was Salem Quinn.

 

Chapter 12: The Briefing

A week had passed since the team had arrived at Hogwarts. It had been a shocking week. Witches and Wizards did exist, and Salem was one of them. The team had been adjusting well, considering. They had Christmas feast with some of the students that had stayed behind for the holidays. Salem explained that only six stayed behind, for protection. The students had been very helpful to them, giving tours of the grounds and explaining a few things here and there. Cody had befriended Arthur’s youngest boy, Ron. Ron was fascinated with all the equipment and kept asking how it all worked. He still didn’t get the concept of a ‘bug’ but he caught on everything else pretty fast. Hermione never left Monica’s side. She became the teams answer girl when it came to a magic question or anything on Hogwarts. Jake seemed to talk with Harry more than the others. They seemed to have found a common interest. Donovan on the other hand found Draco very fascinating. The boy had the making of an agent. His observation skills were incredible. The
group of friends complemented each other nicely. Salem was doing a good job bringing them together as a team.

They were now sitting in their rooms discussing the situation at hand. The rooms Dumbledore provided were spacious and luxurious. They each had their own separate rooms, which was located to the left of the front entrance. The entrance was an interesting contraption, a painting that accepted passwords. Monica actually got a kick out of this and talked for hours with the gentlemen guarding the doorway. The large fireplace warmed the common area, which was large enough to set up the equipment and have a briefing room. They were supposed to meet with Dumbledore and a few others involved with the case against Riddle later that afternoon. Donovan wanted to regroup with the team and Salem before meeting with them.

"I asked Monica to profile various staff members and the students. I want to know whom I’m working with. Monica can you tell us a little bit about them." Donovan asked. He felt that a logical approach to the situation would help them adjust to it easier.

"This has been a very confusing case, and some very interesting people. To say they fit outside the norm would be an understatement." Monica stated.

"That’s putting it mildly." Alex commented.

"Lets start off with certain members of the staff here at Hogwarts. Severus Snape teaches potions." Salem actually fell out of her chair when Monica clicked on the slide projector starting with a picture of Snape.

"Oh Merlin, how did you accomplish that?" Salem asked getting off the floor.

"Colin Creevey, a fifth year student. He carries a camera with him. Mr. Malfoy was kind enough to retrieve the photographs for me." Monica explained.

"Oh really, need to talk to him about breaking and entering. I do want a copy of these pictures." Salem commented.

"Technically they weren’t breaking and entering. Ron Weasley let him into the Gryffindor dorms." Monica smiled.

"Now that makes things more interesting. Ron and Draco have become closer since Christmas. They both buried the hatchet after the gift exchange. Draco gave Ron season tickets to the Chudley Cannon’s Quidditch games, while Ron gave him a green and silver knitted sweater." Salem smiled, remembering Ron’s expression when he opened the gift. He just about kissed Draco, then came to his senses and hugged him instead. Draco was touched by the gift he had never gotten anything homemade before.

"Anyway Snape teaches potions. Potions is the art of mixing ingredients together to make a spell. Example of a good potion that I know this team wouldn’t mind having is the Polyjuice Potion. It enables the person to be disguised as anyone they want, as long as you have something of that person; such as hair or toe nail."

"So this potion enables you to look like someone entirely different." Jake asked.

"Yes its very handy for undercover work. The only problem it takes 28 days to brew." Salem filled in the blanks.

"Continue Monica." Donovan stated from his seat.

"Snape spied for Dumbledore against Voldemort. He has the death-eaters mark, which symbolizes his loyalty. Any information that we want about the meetings or death-eaters we will be able to get it from him." Monica clicked the slide projector.

"Remus Lupin used to teach Defense Against Dark Arts, now Salem here teaches it. He has an extensive knowledge of the Dark Arts. He’s been laying low the past two years because he has been protecting ‘Snuffles’." Monica stopped waiting for the inevitable.

"Snuffles?" Donovan asked.

"Sirius Black wanted for killing James and Lily Potter. Sent to a wizard prison called Azkaban. Escape two years ago and has been on the run since." Monica filled in. "Also known affectionately as ‘Snuffles’ the black dog you see running around here."

"How can a dog be accused of killing someone?" Jake asked.

"He’s Animagus." Salem stated.

"What?" Jake looked at her. He was a bit hesitant around Salem. The two of them still needed to work out a few issues. Salem had apologized for cursing him, Jake understood why, but was still a bit uncomfortable.

"Animagus is the ability to transform into an animal. Sirius can change into the form of a black dog." Salem informed them.

"Okay got it. So why is Dumbledore allowing him around?" Jake asked.

"Cause he’s innocent. He was also accused of killing Peter Pettigrew but come to find out it was Peter that betrayed the Potters and is now working with Voldemort." Monica informed them, she had learned a lot from Hermione.

"Oh okay, sorry keeping going."

"These are some of the people we will be working with." Donovan stated. "The first thing we have to realize is that things are a bit different here. What might seem dangerous to us isn’t to them. For example Mr. Lupin is a werewolf. He turns on the full moon, but with a potion Mr. Snape makes he keeps his human mind instead of transforming completely."

"We have to understand that these men have been fighting Voldemort for years. Twenty years ago, Sirius, Remus, James and Peter studied here at Hogwarts. Lily and Salem also attended at the same time along with Severus. They all stood against Voldemort except, they were betrayed by Peter. James and Lily were killed, Sirius accused and Severus went undercover." Monica paused looking at Salem.

"I ran back to America and Remus went into hiding because of his status." Salem stated.

"What happened to Voldemort?" Alex asked.

"This is were it gets interesting." Monica clicked on the next slide it was a picture of Harry in a dual stance. "Harry Potter, sixteen years old, he is the boy who lived. The one who defeated Voldemort, at age 1."

"How can a year old defeat a dark wizard?" Donovan asked.

"No one knows. James was killed protecting Lily and Harry. Then Lily died trying to protect Harry. When Voldemort went to kill Harry the ‘killing curse’ bounced off him taking out Voldemort. It left Harry with the lightening bolt scar on his forehead." Monica clicked on a second picture of Harry playing Quidditch. "He didn’t even know of his wizard heritage until age 11 when he started Hogwarts. Harry is powerful, that is why Voldemort is scared of him. His main strength is undying devotion, his loyalty and honor, and his relationship with his friends. His main weakness is his guilt. This kid carries years of guilt that he shouldn’t. He feels that if anyone is hurt or killed while Voldemort tries to kill him somehow it’s his fault."

Monica looked at Jake pointedly. "His devotion to his friends and family is tremendous. Voldemort will use this against him. He knows he can’t defeat Harry by magic, so he will try to destroy his spirit."

"Harry is very powerful. Even more powerful than Dumbledore or Merlin." Salem commented. "He doesn’t realize his potential and won’t tell he faces Voldemort. Harry has the ability to used wand-less magic and that is a rare gift."

"Ronald Weasley youngest son of eight kids. Most people think he’s just Harry’s side kick." Cody took over the presentation clicking on a picture of Ron standing next to Harry. "There is more to this kid than meets the eye. He has brute strength that is for sure, but underneath is a mind of strategist. He is a whiz at chess, he might even beat you Donovan."

"Maybe I should challenge him to a game." Donovan smiled.

"Just watch it, wizard chess is much different than regular chess." Salem smirked.

"Anyway he has a sharp mind for strategy. He doesn’t realize the potential because he sees himself as Harry’s protector." Monica commented. "He would willing die to protect him, which would cause Harry more grief."

"How good of strategist is the kid?" Donovan asked. "We will be able to use it?"

"I had the students read Black Hawk Down for class. Ron not only comprehended the book he was able to pick out what went wrong and then formulate how things could have been different." Salem pointed out. "I have him reading works on Napoleon, Alexander the Great, McArthur, and Grant. His main weakness is that he has no faith in himself. It’s the same with Harry."

"Hermione Granger the know it all girl." Monica clicked on a picture of Hermione with her noise in a book. "She has been very helpful to us applying us with knowledge of magic and the history of Hogwarts. If you want information you she can get it for you. She can absorb information like a sponge. She’s observant of everything around her. She’s not used to be wrong and gets very upset when she is. She’s doesn’t rise to anger quickly as a matter of fact she keeps the other two inline, but once she’s angry it will be felt."

"Just ask Mr. Malfoy. He’s been on the receiving end a time or two." Salem smiled.

"Speaking of Draco Malfoy." The slide clicked over to a picture of Draco looking very Slytherin. He was standing up against the wall staring down the camera. "He was Harry’s main rival for years. The two were enemies until this year."

"What changed?" Alex looked over at Monica.

"He turned state’s evidence against his father Lucious Malfoy, a prominent death-eater and very high in the ranks." Monica continued. "Draco was taught from a young age the Dark Arts. He’s not necessarily ‘good’ but he refuses to follow Voldemort. He’s a sly one and has a mouth on him. He can be a charmer and gets what he wants."

"He would make an excellent negotiator." Donovan pointed out.

"Requiting boss?" Salem asked.

"Maybe." He smirked.

"The last two are Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle." The slide clicked over to show them standing behind a sitting Draco. "They are loyal to a fault to Draco. Both turned state evidence on their fathers to protect him. Vincent has brute strength he could literally beat someone to death. Gregory is good with potions as a matter of fact if someone gave him training in explosives he would be an excellent demolitions expert." Monica turned off the slide projector and sat next to Cody.

"So where does that leave us?" Jake asked.

"From what Dumbledore has told me these six students are beyond capable of helping us out with the assignment. I wanted Monica to profile them so we could see where they could be the most useful. " Donovan paused. "I personally don’t like the idea of using kids, but according to Remus these kids have seen more in their sixteen years than we have in thirty plus years. This Dark Lord, Voldemort, is evil pure and simple. He needs to be stopped and if we can help just a little than I say we jump in and help."

"You know who we are working with and now we have to figure out how to use what we have." Donovan stood heading towards the door. "We are supposed to meet with everyone in a few minutes. I wanted to make sure we weren’t lacking for information."

Salem got up from her seat and walked over to Donovan. "You only have a small piece of the puzzle."

Before he could comment the door opened to reveal Dumbledore. "I hope I’m not opposing." He smiled at them.

"No we were just finishing up. Come on in." Salem waved towards some seats next to the fireplace.

Dumbledore walked across the room looking intently at the equipment. "I’m very pleased you have decided to stay and help. Muggle technology is fascinating and if what Salem says is true very useful."

"We shall see." Snape stood in the doorway. He sighed and found a spot to sulk in near the shadows. Remus and Sirius walked in behind him taking a seat near Salem.

"Hey Monica is something up between Salem and the dark haired guy?" Jake asked.

"The dark haired guy is Sirius, and I don’t know you will have to ask her." She replied.

The door opened up again to reveal Harry and company. Draco pushed past Harry and went to stand next to Snape, while Ron sat next to Cody looking at the computers. Harry and Hermione sat next to Jake and Monica. Crabbe and Goyle took their places by the door to guard the entrance.

"Is the rooms to your satisfaction?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes they are quite nice. If you don’t mind me asking, why exactly are we here?" Donovan sat back in his seat next to Jake.

"We need information, and Salem mentioned you have ways of getting it." Lupin stated.

"Maybe you should start from the beginning." Monica stated.

"Professor Snape has been spying on Voldemort for years. He was our main source of information." Dumbledore began.

"Was?" Donovan asked.

"Recently Lucious attacked the students at Hogsmeade…" Dumbledore began.

"More precise he tried to drag me back home to make sure I was punished for disobeying him." Draco sneered.

"Yes, Mr. Malfoy that is correct." He looked over at Draco then kept explaining. "Lucious is Voldemort’s top death-eater. Needless to say he wasn’t happy when Draco turned against him. He recently tried to grab Draco, but with the quick thinking of his friends he was stopped. In the
process Snape exposed himself to Lucious as being on our side."

"Lucious asked me to help him get Draco back, something about a family emergency." Snape interrupted. "I told him I would try. Instead I kept stalling, and when Lucious tried to grab him instead of helping him escape with Draco I helped stop him. Lucious knew then I was spying."

"In the end we lost our most reliable source of information about what Voldemort was up to." Sirius explained.

"All the meetings take place at Malfoy Manor because of the excess of wards around it. The Manor is more secure than Hogwarts." Draco added.

"What type of wards?" Jake asked.

"Magical ones." Salem responded. "These wards prevent any spells being placed on the Manor."

"They also tell if a spell has been conducted in the area." Draco stated.

"So no wizard can place or perform a spell with in the boundaries of the Manor?" Donovan asked.

"Right." Draco smiled. "It is the main reason I was able to be taught Dark Arts. Not only can no spell be placed on the Manor but the Ministry can’t detect what types of spells are being used at the Manor."

"Its why Voldemort considers it a strong meeting place." Snape added. "No one can get in but the loyal death-eaters and no one knows what the hell is going on in there."

"So how do we fit in?" Cody asked. "We aren’t wizards."

"Exactly!" Salem commented. "Since we can’t place any spells on the Manor, nor can we send someone in as a spy."

"Voldemort would be to suspicious of any new members." Snape stated.

"But the one thing they would never expect is muggle technology." Salem stated.

"Why?" Cody inquired.

"Because Muggle technology is beneath us wizards." Draco smirked. "That what Lucious teaches."

"So why would he suspect a strong wizard like Dumbledore to use something that is beneath him." Donovan commented it was obvious he was formulating a plan in his head.

"Once again exactly." Salem smiled. "The last thing Lucious would expect is for the Manor to be bugged with listening and video surveillance."

"They would have to undetectable." Hermione piped in, everyone turned to look at her. "Last thing you need is for a house elf to accidentally find one."

"Can you do that Cody?" Salem grinned.

"I can bug the cereal." Cody smiled. "What does the Manor look like? How many rooms?" He looked over at Draco.

"The Manor has 10 bedrooms, a formal dining room, an entry hall, parlor, study, library, dungeon, Lucious’s private study, servant quarters, and a large kitchen. Not including the gardens and stables."

"Dungeon?" Harry looked over at Draco.

"Don’t ask."

"Where are most of the meetings?" Donovan asked Snape.

"The entry hall is the main gathering area. The private meetings are held in Lucious’s study. Any rituals will be held out by the stables or in a clearing that is located in the North woods. The dungeons are used to get information out of unexpected guests." Snape replied.

"So it looks like we need a full network through out the house, maybe even the grounds." Cody started writing down things he would need.

"Is there any way into the Manor?" Jake asked.

"No." Draco commented.

"So how are we supposed to plant the equipment if we can’t get in?" Jake snapped back.

"I told them there was no way." Draco shrugged his shoulders.

"What about the Polyjuice thing?" Alex asked.

"Possible, but we would have to get personal items of known death-eaters." Hermione stated.

"Anyone on the inside already who could get us in?" Monica asked. "A servant or something."

"The house elves are to scared of Lucious." Draco stated.

"Wait what about your mother?" Harry asked.

"Narcissa yeah that’s a joke." Draco smiled. "The last time she did anything was host a garden tea for the death-eaters wives."

"Don’t assume you know everything about your mother Draco." Sirius commented. Draco just looked at him puzzled.

"What do you mean?" Snape asked what Draco was thinking.

"I can get us in." Salem commented.

"How?" Draco demanded.

"How soon can you get everything ready to be planted?" Salem turned to Cody ignoring Draco.

"Give me a few weeks. I need to get some equipment I couldn’t pack." He stated while typing on his computer figuring out the logistics.

"How are you going to get in?" Draco repeated.

"You will see my apprentice. Just because I was in Gryffindor doesn’t mean I’m not sly or devious."

"Boy isn’t that the truth." Sirius and Donovan commented at the same time.

Chapter 13: Bug Planting

At first Cody found it humorous that teenagers would be interested in what he does for a living. But after an hour of "What does that do? How does that work?" he decided that working alone in a warehouse had its advantages.

"So explain again how this tiny little thing is able to let us hear the conversations of Voldemort and company from miles and miles away?" Draco stood holding the ‘tiny’ listening device in his hands.

"The frequency travels on radio waves back to the receiving equipment enabling us to hear what is being said." Cody sighed.

"How does it know what frequency to follow?" Ron asked.

"It just does." Cody commented a little annoyed.

"How?" Draco demanded.

Cody looked up at them and smirked, "Magic."

The two boys just looked back at Cody, blinked, and started laughing. "Muggles and their sense of humor." Draco commented trying to hide his grin.

Donovan was sitting next to the fire going over Intel reports with Black. He watched with amusement Cody trying to explain basic computer systems and electronic equipment to the two boys. Over the past week they had formulated a basic plan of where the various cameras and listening devices would be planted, specifically the main hall, Lucious Study, Library, dungeons and motion detectors in the forest and gardens surrounding the Manor. Since they would be a fair amount of distance away from the Manor, Cody needed long-range scanners. So Salem had taken Cody and Hermione to London to pick up the equipment that they needed. They were set to go, except for one minor detail Salem hadn’t explained how she was going to get them into the Manor.

"Black do you know what Salem’s plans are?" Donovan looked back over at the wanted criminal sitting in front of him. Donovan liked Black his devotion to his family was obvious he would die to protect any of them, but specifically Harry and Salem. He wondered what relationship he had with Salem, but figured they would explain in due time.

"Unfortunately she hasn’t mentioned it to me, but I have a suspicion that it won’t be conventional." Black smiled.

"When does she work conventionally?" Donovan commented back.

"She didn’t while we were in school." Black sighed. The two of them had been working on their relationship. It had been difficult they had 15 years to make up for. Black woke up at least three times a week with some nightmare relating to his time in prison. Each time he woke up screaming Salem would just hold him till he went back to sleep. There were times he just sat back and thought about how much he hated Voldemort not only for killing James and Lily, but also for taking Salem away from him. He would look at Harry, Ron, Hermione, and even Draco and wonder what if? What if Peter didn’t betray them? Would Salem and him be married? Have children at Hogwarts? He would then shake his head and focus on the now. And that now was defeating Voldemort for James and Lily, for the loss of 15 years, for the loss of childhood innocence.

"I take it you and Salem have a history?" Donovan tried not to sound too interested.

Sirius smiled at him and leaned back in his chair. "Yeah you could say that. It’s the future part I’m working on."

"You’re a good man Black, don’t let anyone tell you any different." Donovan stated. He had a good sense of character, and he was never wrong.

"Thanks." Black commented. "Now back to these reports. Lucious has been laying low. Probably a bit worried what exactly Draco has told the Ministry. With Snape now exposed as a spy against them they will be suspicious of anything and anyone."

"Will they stop their activities until everything dies down?" Donovan asked.

"No, they don’t really care that we know they are death-eaters. Fudge, the head of the Ministry, still doesn’t believe Voldemort as risen up again. Dumbledore has shown him time and time again of the evidence. Even with Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle confirming Dumbledore’s stories he doesn’t believe it."

"So an in-apt government as lead to the confidence of the death-eaters?"

"Why stop when the government doesn’t believe you even exist?"

"Don’t you just love bureaucracy? It’s amazing two different worlds yet the same levels of in-competency in the government." Donovan smiled.

The portrait opened to reveal Salem, Jake and Alex walking through. Salem had that grin on her face. The one she had right before she started on a new mission. Donovan wondered is she had that look back in her Ranger days.

"You look like you ate yourself a fine juicy rat." Black commented.

"More like preparing the trap for said nice juicy rat." Salem smiled. "Cody is everything ready to go?"

"Yep, just waiting for the go ahead." He spun in his chair. They weren’t sure how he found a swivel chair at Hogwarts, probably the only one around, but he did.

"Good lets start setting up." Salem smirked.

"Exactly how are you getting them in?" Draco stood there looking at her.

"Tapestries my dear boy, Tapestries." Salem walked over to the window to show a van parked out front Hogwarts.

"How exactly did you get that here?" Ron asked.

"Bought in London, Apparated it to Hogsmeade, then drove it from Hogsmeade to here." Salem looked a bit smug.

"Tapestry Cleaners?" Draco read the side of the van. "How is that going to get you into the Manor?"

"My dear Draco, Lucious is famous for the thousands of rugs and tapestries he has through out the house. They do need to be cleaned right?"

"The house elves clean them." Draco pointed out.

"Don’t worry I have it all under control." Salem smiled. She pulled out of the bag she was carrying three workers uniforms, tossing them to Jake, Alex and Donovan. "Now Lucious is hunting up a rumor that Harry is taking Draco to meet Sirius to pass information about a certain rat."

"And how did that rumor get started?" Black commented.

"Something about Lupin meeting up with Snape at Diagon’s Alley to discuss the Black situation and they might have mentioned something they shouldn’t have near a prominent known death-eater hang out." Salem smiled innocently. "Then said Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy were seen leaving Hogwarts heading towards the Shrieking Shack just about an hour ago."

"But I’m standing right here." Draco commented.

"Yes you are, and Harry should be arriving any time now." Salem glanced at her watch, when Harry stepped through the portrait door.

Everybody turned and looked at him, "what?"

"Then if we are here how can we be at the Shrieking Shack?" Draco asked.

"Polyjuice Potion." Salem commented.

"Who?" Draco looked at Salem pointedly.

"Crabbe and Goyle." Salem smirked.

"Why them?" Cody asked.

"They volunteered for one, and two somehow it was fitting." She looked over at Harry.

Harry looked at Ron and then the ground. "How did you find out about that?"

"Hermione." Salem smiled.

"Oh, sometimes that girl just can’t keep her mouth shut." Ron shook his head.

Draco just looked at the two of them through narrowed eyes. "I’m missing something aren’t I?"

"You’re not the only one." Donovan commented.

"Anyway, so while Lucious is distracted we are going to clean some tapestries." Salem commented.

"Wait, you’re going?" Donovan asked. "I thought no wizards?"

"No, there can be no magic, not no wizards there is a difference."

"How do you think you’re going to get past Narcissa?" Draco asked.

"There is more to your mother than you know." Black commented again. He smiled at Salem seeing her plan. "It could work."

"We only have a small window so lets get going." Salem headed towards the door.

An hour later the van made its way up to Malfoy Manor. Salem drove while the team set up the equipment in the back. Donovan held up one of the devices, "Cody can you hear me?"

Cody was sitting in front of a row of computers and various machines, "Yes boss, can hear you loud and clear."

"Good how about the video is everything coming through?" Donovan’s voice could be heard through the speakers.

"Yes, I can see Jake sticking his tongue out at me." Cody smirked.

"Just keeping you on your toes Cody." Jakes voice filtered through.

"Wicked." Ron grinned sitting next to Cody.

"We’re here everyone ready?" Salem yelled from the front.

"Now we see if she gets in." Draco commented.

"Ten bucks she does." Cody stated.

"Bucks?" Ron looked at Harry.

"Dollars its muggle money. I’m with Cody. Ten Galleons she gets in." Harry looked at Draco.

"You’re on."

Salem got out of the van and headed towards the front door. The three stayed next to the van to wait until it was safe for them to come up. Salem smirked to herself wondering how much the bet was up to on her getting into the Manor.

While at Hogwarts everyone sat around the monitors watching Salem walk up to the front door. Salem stopped at the large oak doors and took a deep breath.

"Draco get ready to pay up," her voice sounded through the speakers.

She knocked at the door and waited. After a few minutes the door open to reveal Narcissa Malfoy standing there in a designer robe, holding a glass filled with Brandy. She leaned up against the door and sneered at the intruder.

"What do you want?" a slight slur to the voice.

"Hello ma’am we are here to clean the Tapestries through out your lovely home." Salem smiled brightly.

"The house elves clean the Tapestries." she sneered.

"See told you" Draco commented. "Pay up Harry."

"But these are special cleanings. To help eliminate any rats that might be dwelling near by."

"What did she just say?" Snape stated from behind Draco. Remus and him had just got back from London and walked into the briefing room to find out what was going on.

"Rats?" the slur seemed to disappear. "Can you get rid of nasty husbands?"

"We are having a two for one special."

Draco’s mouth dropped open, Narcissa had stood tall and smirked at Salem.

"Then come on in. I’ll point out the important tapestries that need to be cleaned." Narcissa opened the door and grinned.

Salem turned towards the team and motioned them to come up. "How are you doing Narcissa?"

"I’m married to Lucious."

"So you deserve Sainthood." Salem smiled.

"It’s my own fault I should have been strong and took your offer to move to America taking Draco with me."

Draco sat down on the couch staring at the monitor in shock. He looked over at Sirius. "You knew?"

"Salem, Lily and Narcissa were best friends in school. Narcissa was forced by her parents to marry Lucious, and produce an heir as soon as possible. After James and Lily were killed Salem offered her a way out." Remus stated. "Narcissa was terrified of what Lucious would do and decided not to leave England."

"I really don’t know anything about her, do I?" Draco stated looking at his mom for the first time.

"I’m sure Professor Quinn can fill in the details she told me all about my mom." Harry smiled.

Narcissa sent the house elves away and personally pointed out the tapestries that needed cleaning.

"Are you sure the house elves won’t reveal our presence?" Donovan asked.

"They are loyal to me." Narcissa stated. "I’ll be in the gardens. What happens in here, I have no clue about."

Donovan smiled at the women and motioned for the team to get to work. "We need to be out of here in an hour."

"Yes boss." Jake headed towards the Library, while Alex took off towards Lucious’s study.

Salem looked at Donovan, "Do you need help with the dungeon?"

"No, I’ll be fine. You keep watch." He nodded towards Narcissa then headed towards the dungeon.

Salem headed toward the gardens to look for Narcissa. She found her sitting on a bench watching some birds play in the fountain. Salem turned off her microphone and camera to make sure the two had some privacy.

"Honestly Narcissa how are you doing?"

"Wishing everyday I left with you." She looked up with sad tired eyes.

"You still can."

"True, now that Draco is safe I can just leave." She looked over at Salem. "How is Draco?"

"He’s annoying, stubborn, and a pain in the arse." Salem smiled. "He’s a good kid you raised him well."

"I tried to counter Lucious influence, but it wasn’t easy. I just kept sending him away during the summer. So he wouldn’t have to deal with Lucious full time."

"Deep down he’s got a good heart it’s just taking a while to get Lucious’s training out of him. Even though I personally think the Dark Arts training will come in handy." Salem watched the birds playing.

"I hear Sirius has been sighted near Hogwarts. So are two trying to work things out?"

Salem looked at her shocked.

"Don’t be surprised I know more of what’s going on than most think. It’s amazing what is said in front of a drunk." She emphasized the last word with a slight slur.

"You always did love the theatre." Salem grinned.

"I probably shouldn’t know, but what are they doing?" She gestured towards the house.

"Setting up listening devices in the various death-eater meeting locations." Salem smirked.

"Muggle technology?"

"Yep."

"Lucious would never guess." Narcissa smiled. "I love it. Can’t wait to see his expression when he finds out muggle technology was his downfall."

"I’ll take a wizard picture so we can relive it over and over again."

Donovan found the two girls laughing in the gardens. Narcissa looked ten years younger when she laughed. He had a feeling that wasn’t a common occurrence at the Manor. The sites he saw in the dungeon were enough to scar any man. It solidified his resolve to take these people down. They were worse than Hitler. For some reason he figured Lucious would be horrified about being compared to Hitler not because of the things he did but because he wasn’t a wizard. The scary thought was, what would have happened if Hitler were a wizard?

"Salem the team is finished we should get going before Lucious comes back." Donovan stated from the pathway.

"I’ll meet you at the van." She called back.

"Narcissa if you need anything just state ‘damn I need a new staff’ the devices will pick it up and I’ll come get you as soon as possible." Salem stood up and looked at her friend.

"Lets not waste another 15 years shall we?" Narcissa stood up and smiled. Salem gave her a quick hug, turned and left.

Narcissa watched her leave, picked up her brandy and waited for her husband to come home.

 

Chapter 14: Quidditch

"Just because we’re allies doesn’t mean I’m going to go easy on you." Draco yelled.

"Easy on me. I can fly circles around you Ferret Boy!" Harry yelled back.

"You just watch Harry ‘the boy who will loose’ Potter you have no chance in catching the snitch." Draco sneered. "Now that the brooms are even I’ll out fly you any day."

"You had a better broom in second year and I still kicked you pale backside from one end of the field to the other." Harry smirked.

Draco and Harry were having an animated argument in front of the great hall doors. The Slytherin vs. Gryffindor game was that afternoon, and the two seekers were nose to nose throwing insults back and forth. It was like old times, some would say. The competition between the two was still fierce and the game would be exciting. Draco had not yet bested Harry in the past six years and was more determined than ever. The two glared at each other then stormed off in opposite directions.

It had been a few weeks since they had planted the bugs at Malfoy Manor. So far they hadn’t much to go on. They were able to confirm that Peter was alive and working with Voldemort, and that most of the Slytherin’s parents were death-eaters. The shocking news was that Blaise had been initiated and carried the dark mark. His main job was to kill Draco for treason. Draco laughed when he heard the tapes. He had no fear of Blaise and found it humorous that Blaise even thought he could face Draco.

"Be careful Draco never underestimate your enemies." Salem warned him.

"But it’s Blaise." Draco commented.

"Yeah and what harm would a one year old do?" Salem stated walking away.

Draco just stared after her thinking. She had made a good point, and decided to keep Blaise in his sights.

Donovan stood by the window watching the activities below. The only downside of being here now that school had resumed was the inability to roam the castle. Dumbledore didn’t want the Slytherins informing their parents that strangers were staying at the castle. It made sense to Donovan and the team, but they were getting stir crazy. Salem stopped by when she wasn’t teaching. Hermione stopped by to bring them books, while the boys were practicing Quidditch. Sirius was their main visitor, and actually he was asleep by the fire at the moment in his dog form. The first time he transformed in front of them they stared in awe. Now they were getting used to the sights and sounds of magic and enjoying what it had to offer. The house elves made sure they had food or anything else they needed. Dobby had been assigned to their quarters. Harry stated he was the most trust worthy.

"What’s all the commotion outside?" Alex asked. She was sitting on the couch reading one of the books Hermione had brought by. It was about Werewolves, Alex had been curious since Remus was one of them.

"A school game. I guess the rivalry is between Slytherin and Gryffindor."

"Can we go?" Jake asked bored out of his mind.

"I doubt it, we don’t want to be exposed to the school population." Donovan shrugged.

Donovan looked back out the window at the students heading towards the arena. He could see the three hoops sticking up on each end of the field, but couldn’t figure out what type of game they were playing. He was pulled out of his thoughts when Cody dropped the headphones and jumped out of the chair. Sirius stirred from his slumber and transformed into his human form looking at Cody a bit groggy.

"You woke me up." Sirius complained.

"I just heard Lucious telling Peter that Blaise was going to take out two seekers with one bludger." Cody looked over at Sirius. "Do you know what that means?"

"Damn! They are going after Harry and Draco." Sirius started for the door.

"Sirius you can’t go out there." Donovan stopped him.

"We need to get to the Quidditch field." He turned back into ‘Snuffles’ and barked at the portrait.

Donovan grabbed a robe that was left for them, incase they needed to blend in with the crowd. He had a hard time catching up with the dog. "Snuffles slow down." The dog turned and looked at him. He sniffed the ground whined and ran towards the side entrance. Donovan sighed and ran after him. Sirius ran all the way to the Quidditch field looking for someone who could help him.

By the time he got to the field the game was all ready in play. Draco and Harry were flying around the top of the field keeping their eyes open for the snitch. It was safer for Draco to be up with Harry than near his teammates. They made it quite clear he wasn’t welcome. Draco refused to quit and they couldn’t find a replacement. Practice had become quiet difficult for the boy. It had come to the point that Snape and Hooch had to present at all times to make sure nothing happened that might put Draco into the infirmary.

Draco knew that Harry was an excellent Seeker, one of the best Hogwarts had seen. But he wasn’t going to admit that out loud. So instead of watching for the snitch he watch Harry. Where Harry looked he looked. It was his best shot at finding the snitch. Even with those glasses Harry could pick the snitch out faster than anyone he had seen. Draco noticed Harry was concentrating on something low to the ground. He immediately followed Harry’s line of sight thinking it was the snitch. Instead he saw ‘Snuffles’ and Donovan running towards the stands. Draco caught Harry’s eyes and they both knew this wasn’t good. Something must of come across the wire, and they both had a feeling it was dealing with them. Draco was ready to comment when a bludger came out of nowhere and almost knocked him off his broom. He barely registered it moving past when another came from the opposite direction barely missing Harry. Harry dived down on his broom just before the first had made a second pass at the two seekers.

"Damn they are aiming for us." Draco commented almost being side swiped by another bludger.

"We should get lower." Harry started his dive when he had to dodge another bludger falling off his broom barely able to grab hold at the last second. Draco tried to get closer to help him when another came their way.

"Watch out." Draco yelled dodging in the nick of time. Harry was able to get back on the broom and the two flew towards the playing field.

Sirius bounded up the stairs towards Salem with Donovan right behind. He barked to get her attention. Salem looked at Snuffles then at Donovan. "Do you know why Harry and Draco are being attacked?"

"It came across that they could take out two seekers with one bludger. I have no idea what that means but ‘Snuffles’ freaked." Donovan took a deep breath.

"It seems Harry and Draco are having problems with bludgers." The announcer of the game called out. Salem could see Dumbledore standing up and looking intently. Salem turned back to the two boys in time to see Draco get winged and knocked off his broom. Harry’s seeker reflects lashed out grabbing Draco by the robes pulling him onto his broom.

Draco grabbed on, "watch it Harry." They both moved left barely avoiding both bludgers coming at them.

"They must have performed some spell for them to aim directly for the two boys." Salem yelled running down the stands.

"Is that possible?" Donovan followed.

"I’m not sure." Salem got to the railing and motioned for Hooch.

"What’s going on?" Hermione had left the Gryffindor stands and ran up to Salem.

"A spell has been placed on the bludgers to aim for Draco and Harry." Salem commented. "I’m not sure how."

"Dobby did it in Harry’s second year." Hermione stated. Salem looked at her, "he wanted Harry to go home. Dobby felt he wasn’t safe."

"How was the spell stopped?" Salem asked still trying to get Hooch’s attention.

"Don’t know, it hit Harry and then stopped." Hermione shrugged.

Hooch’s whistled for the game to stop. Harry and Draco where now desperately trying to avoid the bludgers. Ron and Seamus, who had taken over the positions as beaters after Fred and George left, fly over to give the boys some cover.

"Need any help?" Seamus asked, slamming a bludger away from the two.

"Just a little." Draco drawled, "Accio firebolt."

Draco climbed aboard his broom making it easier for the two of them to avoid getting hit. Ron smacked one out of the way barely missing getting hit by the second.

"Damn! What are we going to do?" He yelled dodging another, barely avoiding Draco.

"Don’t know." Harry commented. "It might be best if we head towards the ground. That way we can take cover."

"When I get my hands on Blaise." Draco growled.

"How do you know its Blaise?" Ron asked.

"Who else would it be, beside you heard what Donovan told us about Blaise. Besides before we were attacked Donovan and ‘Snuffles’ ran up to Salem." Draco commented diving out of the way and back without a blink of an eye.

"Donovan?" Seamus asked smacking one towards the Slytherin stands. "Might as well aim them in the right direction." He grinned at Harry.

"Explain later." Harry commented. "Right now we are perfect targets, we need to get out of here."

"Let’s head for the Slytherin team." Draco stated with an evil smirk. "Seamus had a good idea. Might as well aim them back towards them, maybe take one or two out."

"Such loyalty Draco." Seamus snickered.

"Well if those death-eaters wanna-be’s want to play rough then they will learn why I am feared in the Slytherin dorms." Draco sneered eyes narrowing on Blaise.

Harry and Draco took off on the brooms heading straight for a laughing Slytherin Quidditch team. Ron and Seamus flying on their flanks smacking anything that got in their way.

"Looks like its war between the Slytherins and Gryffindors except Draco Malfoy seems to be on the side of the Gryffindors. What is this world coming to?" The announcer was now giving a play by play of the impending fight between the two teams. All thoughts of Quidditch had gone by the wayside. Draco only had one thing on his mind take Blaise down. "Looks as the Slytherin team wasn’t expecting a retaliation. Ron Weasley, who stepped into his brother’s shoes nicely as a beater, aims a bludger straight for Blaise. Seems some of Draco’s Slytherin blood is rubbing off on Mr. Weasley."

Ron smacked another bludger straight towards the Slytherin team. He smirked; the two decided to throw all Gryffindor values out the door. "Damn Draco is rubbing off on us." Ron commented under his breath.

"Hello Blaise nice day for a game don’t you think." Draco sneered. "To bad it was ruined by your inept abilities to take me out."

"I thought you would be happy Draco, this way Harry won’t have to humiliate you again by catching the snitch right out from under you." Blaise calmly sat on his broom as his two beaters kept the bludgers from hitting him.

"The biggest problem with you Blaise is you’re so dense that you don’t see the whole picture." Draco leaned back on his broom. "Now that you have openly attacked me and Harry you’re going to be expelled. Which means you failed. Which means your ‘Lord’ will be pissed. And do you know what he does when he is pissed?"

"I do." Harry smirked. "Either curses them or kills them. So tell me Blaise do you feel lucky?"

Blaise’s eyes narrowed at the two of them. "This isn’t over."

"Oh yes it is Blaise dear. Now here is what you’re going to do release the spell or Voldemort won’t be the one doing the cursing." Draco said in a low deadly voice.

A bludger passed through Ron’s and Seamus defense and headed straight towards Draco. Harry didn’t have a chance to warn Draco. The bludger came straight for him. The Slytherin was fast but not fast enough. He dodge enough so it missed his head but instead hit the shoulder sending the boy to the ground below. Harry dived for him but he was out of reach. As the bludger came around for a pass at Harry the unexpected happened. First the bludger exploded in mid-air, and second Harry grabbed Blaise by the front of the robes and pulled him off his broom. The rest of the Slytherin team decided that Blaise was on his own. If Harry attacked Blaise what would he do to the rest of the team?

"Sorry, Blaise you’re on your own." The Slytherin beater stated as the team fly off leaving Blaise in Harry’s mercy.

"Okay Blaise this is it. Your Slytherin friends abandoned you so tell me how to stop the bludgers or I will just let go." Harry sneered.

"The ‘golden boy ‘ wouldn’t dare." Blaise held onto Harry’s hands.

"Oh wouldn’t I." Harry commented.

"I would listen to him Blaise, ever since he’s been hanging out with Draco he’s got an evil streak through him." Ron sat on his broom smirking.

Hermione and Salem rushed out on the field to the fallen Draco. Dumbledore caught the boy with a levitation spell before he hit so the impact wouldn’t be too hard.

"Is he okay?" Hermione asked.

Salem pent over Draco feeling for any wounds. "A dislocated shoulder and some broken ribs it feels like. He should be okay we need to get him to the infirmary."

Snape came up from behind, "I’ll take him." He picked up Draco and with Hermione behind him and Crabbe and Goyle in front he headed towards the infirmary.

Donovan ran up to Salem with Snuffles behind him "Now what?"

"I took out one bludger now just to get the other." Salem stated holding up her 9mm.

"Do you think Harry will drop him?" Donovan asked looking up at the commotion.

"I don’t know." Salem stated heading back towards the now empty stands. The teachers had gone into overdrive to get the students out of harms reach and back into their dorms. Salem ran up to the top of the empty Gryffindor’s stands to see if she could get a good shot at the second bludger. McGonagall had the most difficult with the announcer. Even as they were being dragged away they kept giving a play by play of the bending fight.

After the teachers had cleared out the stands Salem figured one way to stop them was to destroy them. So she had pulled her gun out waiting for an opening. She couldn’t risk missing and hitting one of the students. When she saw the bludger get by Seamus and then hit Draco the bludger hovered above them for a split second so she took her shot. You learn how to shoot a moving target when your targets are outside of a Black Hawk. She now stood there watching for the second, and at the same time keeping her eye on Harry.

"I’ve always had an evil streak Ron, I inherited from Voldemort when he gave me this scar." Harry smirked at Blaise’s wide eyes. For the first time Blaise actually wondered if Harry would kill him. "I protect my friends Blaise, and that means Draco."

"The spell can’t be broken the object as to either be destroyed or finish its task." Blaise quickly stated. "Now pull me up."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Cause I told you what you wanted to know, and you’re a Gryffindor." Blaise commented.

"I was almost placed in Slytherin." Harry looked up at Ron and winked.

"Go ahead and drop him I’m sure Snape would catch him… wait Snape isn’t here." Ron smirked back.

Harry pulled Blaise onto his broom sitting him face down. Pulled out his wand and cast a spell to tie up his hands and feet.

"No offense guys, but it’s getting a bit tiring beating off this last bludger." Seamus stated smacking away from them.

"Sorry Seamus." Ron turned around aiming for the bludger. He turned towards the stands and saw Salem standing there watching the bludger with something in her hands.

"Seamus what does Professor Quinn have in her hands?" Ron asked.

"I don’t know." Seamus stated a bit agitated hitting it away again. "This is getting annoying how do we stop this thing."

"Won’t stop unless it’s destroyed or finish’s it task." Ron stated looking at Salem.

Salem noticed Ron looking over at her and tried to motion for him to hit the bludger towards her.

Ron looked puzzled at Salem’s antics on the stands, and then remembered the first bludger was destroyed. He looked over at Seamus. "Aim the bludger towards the stands."

"Are you trying to take out the Professor?" Seamus asked in shock.

"No, for the first time my grades are good in DADA. I think she has a way to destroy it." Ron stated.

The bludger came for Harry again; Ron intercepted it and smacked it hard towards the stands. Salem grinned, aimed, and shot it out of the air.

"You will have to replace those Professor Quinn." Dumbledore stood there smiling.

"Take it out my paycheck." She smirked back.

They both turned to watch Harry bring Blaise down to the stands.

"Dumbledore." Harry stated as he sat down on the stands. "Blaise here was kind enough to confessed that he put the spell on the bludgers to take out Draco and I." He sat Blaise down with a shove next to Salem.

"Mr. Zabini I will see you in my office with you’re parents." Dumbledore commented.

"Like anything you say will affect me." Blaise sneered.

"Show respect to Professor Dumbledore Mr. Zabini." Salem commented calmly.

"Go to Hell Quinn."

"You first." Snape stated walking up.

"How is Draco?" Harry asked.

"He is fine. Resting at the moment and hell bent on revenge." Snape stated then turned to Blaise. "Lets go Blaise time to clear you’re things out of dorms."

"Why?" Blaise first time sounded worried.

"Cause you’re being expelled Mr. Zabini." Dumbledore stated as he walked away.

"Give my regards to Voldemort." Harry sneered as he followed Dumbledore. Harry started walking away when something caught his eyes. He jumped on his broom and did a quick dive towards the bottom of the stands. He quickly shot up and hovered in front of the puzzled group. He held up the snitch and grinned. "I guess this means Gryffindor won."

Dumbledore smiled and kept walking towards the castle. Harry got off his broom to walk along side him. Ron and Seamus ran to catch up with them leaving behind Salem and Snape.

"Move it Blaise." Quinn grabbed his shoulders and pushed him down the stairs.

When everyone was out of range Donovan and ‘Snuffles’ moved out from their hiding place behind the flags.

"That’s some game you got there." Donovan commented. His only response was a wag of a tail and a bark. "It’s like talking to my cat." Donovan snickered when he heard the low growl coming from Snuffles. "I guess you don’t like being compared to a cat."

"Humph" Snuffles trotted off towards the castle.

"I guess not." Donovan smiled following close behind.

 

Chapter 15: Sacrifice

"Crucio!" Voldemort screamed at the young Slytherin. "How could you get expelled? You’re useless to us now."

"I can still be helpful in our fight against Potter, Lord." Blaise groveled in pain from his place on the ground.

"You were expelled how could you be useful?" Voldemort hissed.

"I know their weaknesses. I know the castle inside and out." He stated with a bit more confidence.

"You will find a way to bring me Potter and that traitor." Voldemort eyed Lucius who stood in the corner. "If not you will sacrifice your life."

"Yes my Lord." Blaise slowly stood and walked out of the room.

"Lucius find someway to hurt Potter and the traitor." Voldemort sneered and Apparated out of the room. Leaving Lucius alone with a fellow death-eater.

-------------------------

Draco smirked to himself, so Blaise still thought he could best him. The next time the two faced off Blaise will wish Voldemort had killed him.

"So what do we do now?" Harry asked.

"We wait." Donovan stated sitting by the fire.

"Wait for what?" Goyle asked.

"For them to either say something or do something that could lead us to catch them or give us enough evidence to arrest them." Monica stated from her perch by the window.

"Even if we get proof or evidence the Ministry won’t accept it because its in Muggle form." Hermione pointed out. "We need to catch them in the act."

"She’s becoming quiet the detective." Cody whispered to Jake.

"Hanging out with Alex to much." Jake whispered back. Cody laughed and put back on the headphones monitoring Lucius’s conversation

"I heard that." Alex commented. "She’s right though. We need to catch them in the act. Us sitting here listening isn’t going to do that."

"We can’t do anything else." Donovan pointed out. "We can’t go undercover we would be caught and killed. I won’t risk that."

"So how do we catch them?" Jake asked.

"You don’t." Salem looked over at them. "This isn’t your war. We need info about their plans and you guys provided that, but that’s all you can do."

"We want to help. I couldn’t sleep knowing that thing is loose out in the world." Jake stood up and started pacing.

"I don’t sleep." Harry quietly commented. "Professor Quinn is right. I have to fight him and defeat him. That is the only way it will end. The information you have provided will help me with that."

"So young yet so old." Donovan smiled at Harry.

"I grew up fast at age eleven." Harry grinned back then looked around the room. "We all did."

"This isn’t a muggle fight." Draco commented. "And I’m not saying that with contempt. It isn’t, it’s wizard versus wizard. Harry will stand against Voldemort with the rest of us behind him."

Harry looked at Draco with awe. "Where did that come from?"

"Shut up Potter."

"Malfoy." Harry smiled "Good to know our Gryffindor ways are rubbing off on you."

"Its disgusting actually. I’m actually getting to like the color Red." Draco sneered.

"Well silver isn’t half bad." Harry smirked.

"What the two are trying to say is. With you’re help we will have an advantage that will prove useful to take Voldemort out. When will, this happen? No one knows." Salem stated.

"Hey guys something is coming over the wire it could be bad." Cody yelled pulling out the headphones for all to hear.

-----------------------

"How did they know about Blaise?" Lucius yelled.

"I don’t know." An unknown voice answered.

Cody looked over at Salem she shrugged her shoulders.

"It’s Mr. Zabini, Blaise’s father." Draco stated.

"Mark that down Cody so we can register it anytime we hear his voice." Donovan ordered.

"Do you think there is spy in the ranks?" Mr. Zabini

"Who?" Lucius asked.

"Anyone new over the past year?"

"We cleaned house after the discovery of Snape."

"Monitoring our movements?"

"How?"

"Spell on the Manor?"

"No way this place has more wards around it than Hogwarts." Lucius got up and started to pace the room.

Narcissa sat in the corner drinking her brandy and listening to her husband’s rants. The nice thing about being a drunk no one knows you’re there.

"You know I read somewhere that muggles have this thing called a ‘bug’ you place it near by and they can listen into their conversations." Mr. Zabini commented thoughtfully.

Narcissa looked up and watched ‘This can’t be good.’

"DAMN!" Salem yelled. "Draco does Mr. Zabini deal with Muggles."

"Shit! Yes he works in the department of Ministry that covers up wizard activity in front of muggles. It works perfect for the death-eaters." Draco sat down. "This could be bad."

"What?" Lucius asked.

"I had to work with the muggle authority once, a wizard was working with some criminals in a jewelry theft ring and they showed me evidence from their surveillance on the thieves. They had hidden cameras and these ‘bugs’ that listened in on their plans."

"Do you think we are being bugged?" Lucius asked.

"Please dear you’re reaching." Narcissa drawled with a slight slur.

"What is she doing?" Salem stood up heading towards the table of monitors. Draco followed close behind.

Narcissa was not going to let Lucius find out about the ‘bugs’. She never stood up for anything in her life. It was about time she did. She was going to make her son proud. To show him, after all, that she wasn’t afraid of Lucius. If she could make sure Salem’s plan wasn’t uncovered and that lead to Lucius destruction then she could be happy knowing she did her part.

"Narcissa dear what are you stammering about?" Lucius sneered.

"My dear Lucius if you think that little muggle ‘bugs’ could be you’re downfall then maybe you should just surrender to Potter now." Narcissa stood walking towards her husband "Because my dear you’ve lost it."

"No mom, don’t do it." Draco pleaded to the monitor.

"It could be possible. Didn’t Blaise mention Quinn was teaching?" Mr. Zabini stated. "Doesn’t she have muggle connections?"

"True." Lucius thought about it.

"And how would she get in?" Narcissa asked.

"Draco could get her in." Lucius walked over to the desk. He looked around on the desk to see if anything was out of the ordinary.

"Lucius you look ridiculous." Narcissa laughed at him. ‘If anything Lucius hates is to be laughed at.’

"And what do you find so amusing?" He glared at his wife.

"You and your death-eater friend here." Narcissa pointed at his guest. "You to think that some Muggle technology will be Lord Voldemort’s downfall. When the truth stares you in the face."

Lucius looked at his wife for the first time in a long time. "You Bitch."

She smiled at him. "No one minds a drunk." She hiccupped for good measure.

"You have been betraying me." He snarled at her.

"Depends on what you mean by the word betraying." She sneered.

"You encouraged Draco to betray our Lord."

"Damn Right! I told him to choose his own path. Best to be on the side that wins than the one that will be destroyed. And hear me out my dear Lucius, Potter will destroy you and your ‘Lord’!" She growled back.

"How have you been giving them information?" He grabbed his wand.

"Wouldn’t you like to know?" She smiled walking back towards the fireplace. She sat down on the lounge chase picked up her brandy glass and saluted her husband.

"You will pay."

"I all ready paid my debt. I married you didn’t I." She sat back enjoying Lucius facial expressions. "My only pride is knowing Draco, my son, will defeat you!"

Lucius pulled up his wand and pointed it at her. "Do it Lucius seal your fate." ‘Goodbye my Draco, take care of him Salem’ she gave a small smile know finally it would be over and Draco would be safe.

"Avada Kedavra!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Draco and Salem yelled.

 

Chapter 16: Grief

Draco stepped back away from the monitors not believing what he heard. 'Avada Kedavra' no it couldn't be, his mother wasn't dead. He looked up into the eyes of his professor. Tears were shimmering in them. She looked back at him, her hands shaking as she reached out to him. Draco shook his head, turned, and bolted from the room. Harry moved a split second afterwards, chasing after him, wanting to make sure he didn't do something stupid, like head for Malfoy Manor. Salem watched Draco leave, her heart breaking. She knew he needed a shoulder to cry on, but right now she had to deal with her own emotions. She turned and looked at Sirius, he watched her with sad eyes. He reached out to take her into his arms, but she backed away from him. She needed to be alone. She had lost another friend. She backed-up towards the door, the room was starting to close in on her. She had just reached the door when Sirius grabbed her pulling her into his embrace. She pushed him aside and ran out the door tears streaming down her face. She didn't even register Lupin and Snape as she ran by.

The room was in shock. Hermione sat down on the couch and cried. Ron sat next to her pulling her into his arms soothing her with gentle words. Donovan motioned to Cody to plug the headphones back in so the students wouldn't have to hear Lucius's ranting about an ungrateful wife.

"She was a nice Lady." Crabbe stated walking towards the door. He rarely said much, preferred to stay quiet in the background. He had met Narcissa a few times while visiting Draco. She was always kind to him. "They will pay for this." He motioned for Goyle and the two friends went back to the Slytherin dorms. They knew Draco would need them when he came back.

Sirius fist slammed into the wall. "DAMN!" He looked over at Donovan, "I'll go find Salem. Can you talk to Draco? I think he would listen to you."

Donovan nodded to Sirius as he headed out the door. He turned into Snuffles and followed Salem's sent. He wasn't sure what he was going to say, but he knew for once he was going to be there for her. His biggest regret was not being there when James and Lily died. Maybe if he had went and comforted her instead of hell bent on revenge things would be different.

Remus and Snape came running up towards the team's rooms. They had seen Salem run by in tears then 'Snuffles' ran by without a glance in their direction. Something most of have seriously gone wrong.

"What happened?" Snape demanded.

"Lucius killed Narcissa." Ron quietly stated rocking Hermione as she cried.

"She was protecting us. Made it sound like she was the spy." Hermione mumbled from Ron's shoulder.

"Why would she do that?" Remus asked. Snape sat down very quietly by the fire. He leaned his head back on the chair and sighed.

"Mr. Zabini asked Lucius if it was possible that Muggle technology was being used to spy on them." Jake stated.

"She was a true Hufflepuff. Only loyal to us and not her husband." Snape stated. "I'll go tell Dumbledore." He got up and left the room.

"Could we call the Ministry and have Lucius arrested for murder?" Alex asked. "This could be our chance."

"By the time the Ministry got there he would have it covered up. Besides how would we know she was killed?" Remus looked around, "where are Draco and Harry?"

"Draco ran out of here Harry was right behind him." Ron stated. He pulled Hermione into his arms and the three walked out. Remus escorted the couple back to the Gryffindor dorms. They would wait for Harry to get back to the common room. They need to talk about what they were going to do. The war had seemed so far away. The two friends had never felt the full extent of the pain Voldemort caused. They were there for Harry when Cedric died, but death had not touched them. Until now, one of their own was hurting. They had felt the touch of death for the first time.

Donovan turned towards the team. "I'm going to go look for Draco. Monica I want you to profile Blaise, what do you think he will do next? Alex, work with Cody to get all the transcripts together go through it with a fine toothcomb. We can't help with the magic side but we can make a case against 'Tom Riddle' drug king. Jake keep practicing those techniques Hermione has taught you. I have this feeling you will need it."

"Yes boss, we will get on it right away." Cody stated pulling up the past recordings, handing Alex a set of headphones.

"I'll have the profiles of Blaise and Lucius when you get back." Monica smiled.

Donovan pulled on a robe and went out to look for Draco. The kid was going to need someone to talk to. Unfortunately he had been there and understands what he is going through. "No one his age should have to live through this."

He found the two boys sitting by the lake. Both sat with their heads resting on their raised knees. Voldemort never expect that the two boys who were supposed to be bitter enemies would become allies united on a single cause, grief.

"Harry why don't you go up to your dorms." Donovan knelt down next to the boy.

Harry looked up and him with tears in his eyes. He nodded, stood up and turned to Draco, "if you need anything don't hesitate to find me. You're my friend Draco and we will get through this, all of us will."

Harry walked off towards the Gryffindor dorms. He looked back towards the lake and watched Donovan sit next to Draco reach out his hand and set it on the boys shoulder. He turned around and walked into the castle. Harry was even more determined to bring Voldemort down. He had killed, hurt, and tormented him and his friends long enough.

**********************

Sound the bugle now play it just for me
As the seasons change remember how I used to be
Now I can't go on I can't even start
I've got nothing left just an empty heart

**********************

Draco shrugged the comforting hand off his shoulder. "Go away."

"Keeping it inside will only make it worse." Donovan stated pulling his hand back.

Draco got up and started walking away. Donovan stood up and sighed. He reached out and grabbed Draco's arm.

"I said leave me alone." He pulled away and pushed Donovan.

Donovan wasn't one to be easily pushed around. He held his ground and grabbed Draco’s arm again. Draco lashed out sending a right hook straight for his jaw. Donovan expecting this reaction, years of working with Jake, dodge the fist. He grabbed the wrist and pushed Draco onto the ground.

"Is that what you want? A fight? I can provide that." Donovan stated. "But I warn you, I have years of practice and you have no wand."

Draco growled and pushed himself off the ground towards Donovan's legs. Donovan stumbled on the impact falling back taking Draco with him. He was able to roll a bit to the left and untangle himself and jump up before Draco got off the ground.

"Didn't Salem teach you that fighting while ruled by emotions is the best way to get yourself killed?" Donovan stated watching Draco get up.

"Shut up Muggle." Draco commented. "You know nothing of our ways."

"I know you're hurting. I don't have to be a wizard to understand that." Donovan pointed out. "And you're taking out your pain through violence. That won't work with me."

"How could you understand? I just killed my mother."

"No, you did not. Lucius killed her."

"She took the blame for me turning against him."

"She died protecting all of us. She sacrificed herself to make sure in the end Voldemort and Lucius are defeated." Donovan stated. Guilt was the hardest thing to overcome.

"I didn't even know her. I thought I did." Draco looked up at Donovan eyes full of grief. He was on the verge of crying, but he wouldn't let the tears fall. "I now look back and see what she did for me, and I was just so ungrateful. I never thanked her. Nothing, I did nothing."

"She knew what she was doing. She made sure you were able to make a choice. And you did, which my friend is something. She sacrificed herself to give us a chance don’t let that sacrifice get wasted because of self-guilt."

Draco stood up and dusted himself off. "She was right Lucius sealed his fate by killing her." Draco looked up his eyes were hard as stone. There was an underlying strength something there that wasn't there before - A determination a sense of purpose.

"Don't let revenge get in the way. It will destroy you." Donovan warned.

"I don't want revenge. I want Lucius dead." Draco walked away heading towards the Slytherin dorms.

**********************

I'm a soldier wounded so I must give up the fight
There's nothing more for me lead me away or leave my lying here

**********************

Snuffles followed Salem's trail to her/their personal rooms. He changed back into his human form, and opened the door. The room was dark except for a small fire that the house elves had started earlier that evening. He noticed a dim light towards the back room. As he got closer he could hear small grunts and something hitting a solid object then a rattle of chains. He opened the door and peered in. Salem was wearing sweat pants and tank top pounding a punching bag in the corner. Her eyes were glazed over and a look of pure hatred and concentration was firmly placed on her face.

**********************

Sound the bugle now tell them I don't care
There's not a road I know that leads to anywhere
Without a light I feel that I will stumble in the dark
Lay right down decide not to go on

**********************

"Salem?" Sirius questioned. A rattle of chains answered him, as Salem high kicked the bag. "Honey talk to me."

"Go away." She smacked the bag a few more times.

"No." Sirius leaned against the door.

"Let me deal with this my way, alone." Salem stated kicking the bag again.

"You're not alone anymore." Sirius moved towards her.

"I'm used to it. You didn't get attached to anyone while you're in the Rangers." Salem stated. Her punches were not as forceful. "I've had to get used to it. First Lily and James, then you, friends I've lost in battle, and now Narcissa. I can't get attached." Salem through a hard punch in between sobs. "Who's next? Remus? Harry?"

"I'm here." Sirius stepped up to her. "I'm not going anywhere."

"You can't promise me that. What if the Auror's find you or Voldemort captures you?"

"I will fight like hell to get back to you. I lost you for 15 years I don't plan on doing that again."

Salem smacked the bag one more time crying with each punch. She moved back pulled off the gloves throwing them across the room. "It's not fair. Narcissa had a chance to have a good life. DAMN! Him!"

Sirius pulled Salem into his arms dropping to the ground as she cried into his shoulder. He soothed her with words of love, while he stroked her hair to comfort her.

Salem looked into Sirius brown eyes. She reached up pulling him into a deep kiss. Pouring all her fear and love into that kiss. She moaned, as he trailed kisses down her jaw line tasting her sweat and tears. He pushed her back onto the floor his hands traced down her sides slipping under her tank top. Salem pulled at his shirt making him pull back so she could pull it off and throw it to the side. She lightly traced an old scar that ran from his shoulder to his nipple with her fingers, and then followed the same path with her tongue. Sirius responded with a moan sliding his hands into her hair pulling her head up to devour her mouth with a kiss. His hands traveled down her back then back up pulling the tank top over her head. One hand slid into her hair pulling her mouth up to his, deepening the kiss, the other began to massage one of her breasts. She arched into his hand and moaned with pleasure from the sensations his hand and tongue were doing to her body. Sirius pulled back from the kiss and looked into her eyes telling her without words how much he loved her.

**********************

Then from on high somewhere in the distance
There's a voice that calls remember who you are
If you loose yourself your courage soon will follow
So be strong tonight remember who you are

**********************

The only thing Lucius accomplished by killing Narcissa was to solidify the resolve of two people.

Salem curled up to Sirius and as she drifted off to sleep one thought resided in her head. "Lucius will pay."

On the other side of the castle a young man snuggled into his bed in the Slytherin dorms and as he closed his eyes he swore an oath. "Lucius will pay."

**********************

Yeah you're a soldier now
Fighting in a battle to be free once more
Yeah that's worth fighting for

**********************

Author's Note: The song is "Sound the Bugle" written by Brian Adams and Hans Zimmerman. Located on the soundtrack Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron a DreamWorks SKG Animated Feature.

 

Chapter 17: Captured

Draco sat quietly at the Slytherin table picking at his breakfast. Crabbe and Goyle growled at anyone that came near. Pansy looked over at Draco wondering what was going on with him. She noticed that he and his two guards had been called into special meetings and taking special classes with Professor's Snape and Quinn over the past few weeks. Last night he came into the Slytherin common room upset and angry. He didn't acknowledge anyone in the room just stormed by, slamming doors as he went. He had been on edge since the Quidditch match, but this was beyond anything Pansy had witnessed. He now sat at breakfast table quiet. He looked like someone had taken away his favorite toy. He looked like he was going to kill the person who took it away.

"Draco are you okay?" Pansy asked him, placing her hand on his arm.

"I'm fine Pansy, I didn't sleep well last night." Draco stated turning to look at her. She looked into his eyes and gasped. His eyes were cold, set with determination. His look told her not to ask any question because she wouldn't like the answers.

The great hall was filled with the sounds of owls bringing the mail. An eagle owl swept down on the Slytherin table dropping a letter in front of Draco. He eyed the owl carefully, recognizing it as the Malfoy family owl. He picked up the letter and the owl fly off. He held the letter in his hands debating whether he should open it or not.

Snape sat watching intently from the teacher's tables. He recognized the owl the moment it flew in. He caught Quinn's eye and the two sat watching Draco's reaction. While three members of the Gryffindor table sat holding their breaths waiting for the inevitable.

Draco opened the letter and read it carefully. His face went from pale to fury in less than five seconds. He slammed his fist into the table and screamed.

"Son of a bitch!!" The great hall went quiet. "I'll kill him!"

Draco got up from the table and stormed out of the great hall. Goyle picked up the letter he left behind, reading it quietly. Snape looked over at Salem, she nodded towards the back door. He slipped out quietly to make sure Draco was all right, and didn't do anything rash. Salem kept her seat at the table watching the three Gryffindors head over to the Slytherin tables. She kept her eye on some of the Slytherins to make sure known of them got to brave.

"What does it say?" Ron asked.

Goyle handed the letter to Harry. "You read it."

Harry opened the letter and read it to his friends.

Draco,

I'm sorry to be the bare of bad news, but a tragic accident has occurred. Your mother in one of her drunken stupors fell down the stairs. She was killed instantaneously by the impact of the fall. I was away on business and was informed by the house elves that found her lying at the foot of the steps.

I felt you should know about this tragic incident even though you have betrayed your family and the Malfoy honor. Your mother hadn't stopped drinking since you abandoned us and started telling lies to the Ministry. I blame you for her death and wanted you to feel my pain from loosing her.

I hope you're happy. Your mother's blood is on your hands.

Lucius Malfoy

"The bastard." Ron stated face red with anger.

"We should go find Draco before he does anything rash." Hermione stated.

"Class starts in five minutes, if he isn't in Charms then we will go look for him." Harry looked at his two friends. "Give him some time to cool down."

Draco wasn't in Charms or Transfiguration. As they walked into Potions they were discussing whether they should inform the teachers of Draco's disappearance. They worries were relieved when they saw him sitting in Potions talking with Professor Snape.

"Draco are you okay?" Harry asked.

"I'll be fine." Draco looked over at the three. "Once this is over."

Harry set his books down next to the Slytherin. "That might be a while."

"How ever long it takes, doesn't matter to me."

"Then we will see it done." Harry put out his hand towards Draco. Draco looked at it and smiled. He took it and a new pact had been made. Two boys united by grief now stood together to destroy evil. This wasn't a game to play anymore. It was a deadly battle, a battle the two boys were determined to win.

"Now if you two are done plotting to take over the world." Snape commented.

"Did he just make a joke?" Ron whispered to Hermione.

"I think so; this is day to write down. It should be in the Hogwarts: A History." Hermione whispered back.

"If you two would stop whispering I would like to get started with class." Snape growled.

"It was short lived, but I will cherish it." Ron smiled. Snape couldn't help by smirk a bit, but replaced it with his customary scowl.

The last class of the day was DADA, which was being held out on the Quidditch field. Professor Quinn was teaching the student's basic defense moves. The class went fairly smoothly until Draco and a fellow Slytherin got into a fight. Draco had taken him down in three moves, sending the student to the infirmary with a broken wrist. Salem was impressed.

"Class dismissed, Mr. Malfoy please could you come here please." Salem looked over at the Slytherin.

"We will meet you in Donovan's rooms." Harry told him before he walked over to Professor Quinn.

"Yes, Professor?" Draco asked. "You wanted to see me?"

"What was the fight about?" She asked.

"He was being a prick so I ruffed him up a bit."

"Try again."

"He's a future death-eater, I figured now was as good of a time to start taking them down."

"Once more."

"He made comment about my mother being a drunk and clumsy." He sighed.

"Figured as much." Salem gave him a sad smile. "I know you're upset Draco, so am I. I want nothing more than to march over to Malfoy Manor and hurt him, but we can't."

"I know that." He looked over at the stands watching the flags billow in the breeze. "It just, well it hurts."

"When you're ready we can talk. I'll tell you all about your mother back in our school days." Draco smiled at her. "In the mean time has Donovan been showing you some moves?"

"Yes, but I would like to learn more." Draco faced Salem with an evil gleam in his eyes. "I want to beat Blaise with my bare hands. Can you teach me?"

"Tomorrow meet my by the far side of the lake. It's a bit quieter over there, and no one should disturb us."

"Thanks." Draco walked off towards the castle.

"Is it a good idea to teach him how to kill?" Lupin came out from under the stands.

"Unfortunately we will have to teach all these kids how to kill." She stated back.

It was Saturday and Hermione was teaching Jake simple spells and charms. They had been working for hours, and Jake was getting frustrated. It didn't help that Donovan was snickering in the corner and Ron kept looking at him with sympathy. Donovan sat back watching with interest as Jake was slowly loosing his patience. While, Ron found it highly amusing that for once he wasn't the one subjected to Hermione's know it all attitude.

"No it's Levi-o-sa then a flick of the wrist." Hermione took out her wand and showing him how to do it.

Ron and Donovan both started snickering. "What do you two find so funny?" Jake demanded he had enough of them.

"Nothing, I just think it's great that it's not me you're glaring at for once." Donovan smiled. Alex laughed in the background.

"He's right. It's entertaining seeing you being reprimanded by a 16 year old." She smiled at Hermione who blushed at the compliment.

"And you, Mr. Weasley." Jake glared at Ron who was laughing quietly. Hermione looked over at him pointedly.

"I'm sorry, it's just nice that it isn't me for once." Ron started laughing harder. Hermione tried to glare at Ron, but found herself laughing with him.

"I don't know about this Donovan, me a wizard." Jake sat down.

Donovan got series and looked over at him. "Jake if this Voldemort gains more power and spreads his destruction passed England we will need every trick we can use. If you have the ability to be a wizard then we need to use it to our advantage."

"But, I'm a good Catholic boy."

"Remind me to introduce you to Padre Murphy." Salem stated walking into the room.

"What?" Jake looked at her.

"He runs a mission down in Brazil nice guy, great wizard."

"What?" Jake asked again.

Salem smiled at him and turned to Donovan. "Have you seen Draco?"

"No, I haven't." Donovan got up from his seat and walked over to Cody. "But this came over the wire." He handed her a folder.

She grabbed it and read it over. "So Blaise has got a plan. Do we know what it is?"

"Not yet, but I want to take extra precautions." Donovan stated. "Basically everyone needs to stay in pairs."

"Sounds good." She handed back the folder. Jake sighed and started working on levitating the pencil once again. Draco walked in and watched Jake a few seconds.

"No, it's Levi-o-sa." Which lead to everyone in the room to start laughing. "What did I say?" he looked at Jake who sat back down giving up, snickering.

"Jake let's go to Hogsmeade. I can get you some books and you can meet some other wizards." Hermione grabbed a robe and threw it at him.

"Don't be to hard on him, Hermione." Ron smiled. She smiled back at him and
headed towards the door.

"Be careful." Donovan stated.

"Yeah boss, I got my gun." Jake followed Hermione out of the room.

"Come on Draco lets go work on those advance defense moves." Salem motioned for the door.

"Defense only?" Draco asked.

"For right now. You first have to learn how to defend yourself before you can learn how to kill someone with your bare hands."

"Wax on, Wax off." Cody commented.

"Shut up Cody." Salem stated opening the portrait.

"What does that mean?" Draco asked walking out the door.

"Don't ask." Salem stated following him out the door.

Hermione and Jake were walking on the outskirts of Hogsmeade discussing the finer points of potions.

"So basically you mix basic ingredients together and you get various potions." Jake stated.

"Yes." Hermione smiled.

"It's like chemistry. I was good in chemistry." Jake smiled.

"Maybe we should have Snape teach you some potions. We each have different strength in the various magical fields. Ron is excellent with Transfiguration, Goyle is good at Potions, Crabbe is good at DADA, Draco probably knows more Dark Arts than any of us, and I'm good at Arithmacy." She pointed out.

"Arithmacy?" Jake asked.

"Math and Magic, is the basic explanation." She stated.

"What about Harry?" He asked.

"Harry, well Harry is good at everything." She smiled. Harry seemed to excel in most fields in magic, without much studying much to her dismay. Only thing he didn't enjoy was Divination. He got tired of predicting his death.

They were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn't realize how far away from Hogsmeade they were until it was to late. Jake stopped all of the sudden and looked around. He was getting an unnerving feeling.

"We should be heading back." Jake stated.

Hermione felt his tension and turned to look around. She hadn't realized how dark it had gotten.

"Lets get some light here so we can see, Lumos." She held up her wand holding it out in front of them.

"That won't help you Mud-blood." Hermione knew that voice.

"Blaise." Hermione spit out. Jake turned pulling his gun.

"That muggle weapon isn't going to help you?" Blaise laughed at the weapon Jake was holding.

"Back off before I shoot." Jake warned.

"I don't think so. So little Drakie is working with Muggles. How fitting, how sad." Blaise replied.

"I don't know what your game is boy, but leave now." Jake held the gun higher.

"Stupefy" A voice rang out and Jake fell to the ground, gun falling to the ground. Blaise picked it up and looked at it curiously.

Hermione aimed her wand at Blaise.

"Expelliarmus!" Blaise pulled his wand and sent Hermione's wand flying before she could utter a word

"Nothing you can do will make me talk." Hermione stood defiantly.

"I can make you talk Mud-blood, but that's not the point. You're their weakness, a weakness I plan on exploiting." He smirked.

Hermione looked at him with pure hatred. She also knew he was right. Harry and Ron won't rest till they find her.

"Stupefy." She fell next to Jake.

On the other side of the lake Draco and Salem had been working for hours on perfecting his moves.

"Good Draco you're learning fast. It helps that you have a good build for this type of fighting technique."

"Are you saying you like my body?" Draco smirked.

"Grow up" Salem shook her head. "I'm plenty pleased with Sirius."

"So what's the story between the two of you?"

"If Voldemort never happened, if James and Lily never died. You would probably be attending schools with our kids, but it did and instead I'm here teaching you to kill." She snapped at him.

"Okay." He raised his eyebrow at her.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you. It's a sore subject. Sirius and I were an item in school. We are now trying to forget the past 15 years and move on." She sighed. "Now lets try the high kick again."

Draco stepped back and aimed his kick for the tree limb she held out. He pivoted on his left foot and spun around kicking out his right. He kicked it, but not enough to send it flying.

"Good your form is improving. You have to time it perfectly." She looked over at his dejected look and sighed. "It took me years of training to learn all of these moves, don't expect to learn it in one day."

"I know." Draco sat down by the lakeside. "Was being a Ranger difficult? Actually what exactly is a Ranger?"

Salem laughed and sat down beside him. "I was in the US Army. The Rangers are an unit off that particular branch, kind of a special forces group."

"Like Aurors?" Draco asked.

"Sort of, actually that is a very good comparison. It took six weeks of intensive training, then years of being in the group to learn various tactics." Salem smiled.

"Is that why we read that muggle book Black Hawk Down?" Draco smiled putting two and two together.

"Yes, we lost a lot of good people that day." She paused, "I wanted to show the students how Muggle military techniques work. That even without magic they can fight battles and either win or loose. If we are to defeat Voldemort we will have to use not only magic but also adapt muggle military strategies for our uses. It was also a way to find out who could think in strategic terms. Sort out the Generals from the warriors."

"Ron was very good at figuring out the problems with the battle." Draco remembered back to the class discussion over the book.

"Yes, he was." Salem smiled.

"I guess even Weasley's have their uses." Draco smirked, "but don't you dare tell him I said that."

"Your secret is safe with me." Salem looked over towards Hogwarts watching the shadows creep towards the lake. "It's getting dark we should get going."

"And upset the bonding session between student and teacher." A drawl came out of the darkness.

Draco and Salem jumped up and turned to face the intruder.

"Hello son," Lucius Malfoy stated.

"Lucius," Draco snarled.

"It's time you come home, son."

"Only way I'll step foot in Malfoy Manor is when your dead, preferably at my hands." Draco stated with a cold and deadly tone.

Lucius laughed, "Like father like son."

"I'm nothing like you."

"More than you realize." Lucius sneered.

Before either one could react two death-eaters stunned them and they fell to the ground.

"Pick them up and take them to Malfoy Manor. This is better than we first thought. We will be able to pull Sirius out into the open by taking Quinn." Lucius instructed the two death-eaters.

*

Pansy ran down the hallway not paying attention to anyone around her. Leading her to smack full force into someone. Before she fell that person caught her and held her up right.

"Watch it." Seamus stated making sure Pansy was standing.

"Sorry." Pansy commented pushing by him heading down the hallway.

"A Slytherin apologizing what is this world coming to." Seamus exclaimed.

"Where is Harry I need to talk with him?" Pansy turned back towards Seamus ignoring the comment.

"In the Gryffindor common room. I was just heading there." Seamus pointed in the direction of the dorms.

"Can you get me in? It's important I talk to him." Pansy declared.

"Fine come with me." Seamus headed towards the dorms.

Ron and Harry sat quietly talking in the common room waiting for Hermione to get back from Hogsmeade. They were starting to get a bit worried it was getting dark and she was due back an hour ago. The Portrait door opened and Seamus walked in with Pansy right behind him.

"Harry!" She yelled.

"What is she doing here?" Ron asked.

"I just got here from Hogsmeade." Pansy stated ignoring Ron. "They got Hermione."

"Who?" Harry jumped up.

"Death-eaters I was on my way back when I saw Blaise so I decided to follow him. He had two other death-eaters with him. They took Hermione and some other guy I haven't seen before."

"Jake." Harry stated. He looked at Ron who had a look of pure agony on his face he could hear his friend whisper Hermione's name.

The door opened again with Crabbe and Goyle ran in. "Lucius has Draco and Professor Quinn." Goyle stated out of breathe.

"What?" Harry asked.

"We were heading out to the lake to call them in for dinner. When we saw Lucius appear with other death-eaters. Before we could get there they were gone." Goyle stopped and looked at Pansy. "What are you doing here?"

"I saw Blaise grab Hermione and some other guy."

Goyle looked at Harry. "What do we do?"

"We go get them back." Harry stated.

 

Chapter 18: The Plan

"How do we get them back?" Goyle looked over at Harry.

"I'm not sure yet." He began to pace around the room.

"If they touch a hair on her head I'll kill them." Ron growled.

"Ron, I need you to concentrate." Harry needed Ron to think clearly and calm. Harry looked over at Ron, "you've been studying strategy and battle plans right?"

"Yeah," he looked back at Harry a bit confused. "Quinn had me reading various books on different Muggle generals and warriors."

"Let's put it to use." Harry smiled. "Think of it as a chess game."

Ron looked at him and smiled. He began thinking in strategic terms. If they were going too get Hermione back he would need to think logically. Boy would she be surprised.

"Does anyone know what Malfoy Manor looks like?" Ron looked at the three Slytherins.

"Probably between the three of us we have seen most of the Manor or at least the hallways that lead to forbidden areas." Pansy stated sitting down on the couch.

"Wait, why are you helping?" Harry eyed the girl.

"Not all Slytherins are future death-eaters. I just wasn't as open about it as Draco." She stated coolly. "I really don't want to follow 'what's his name'. I mean the dark mark would mar my perfect skin."

"Good to know where your priorities lay." Seamus stated sitting next to her.

"Seamus maybe you should leave." Harry stated. "This isn't your fight."

"Not my fight! Hell it's not my fight!" He jumped up yelling his Irish accent thick. "I'm a Gryffindor and Hermione is my friend. I will not sit back and see anything bad happen to her. I'm in this with you no matter what!"

"Don't piss off the Irishman." Goyle smiled.

"You Brit's should know better." Seamus grinned.

Ron ignoring the commotion behind him was tacking some paper onto the wall. "Goyle, Crabbe and Pansy can you guys draw out the floor plan." Ron looked over at them holding up a quill. "Once we get the floor plan we can plan our way in and out."

"How do we know if they are there?" Pansy asked.

"Crabbe head over to Donovan's rooms. Take my invisibility cloak so they can't see you. See if they know what happened to Jake and what their plans are. Then find out any information that you can, that would be beneficial to us. Like where are they being held, and if possible what condition they are in." Harry stated.

"Why use the cloak?" Goyle asked.

"They will leave us behind on the pretense of protecting us." Harry stated.

"Yes, sir." Crabbe saluted. He smiled at Harry he was finally becoming the leader he was destined to be.

"Donovan? I heard that name before." Seamus looked at Harry.

"He's a friend of Professor Quinn from her muggle undercover days." Ron stated. "He helped plant muggle listening devices and cameras throughout Malfoy Manor so we can see and hear what 'you know who' was doing."

"How did you get into Malfoy Manor?" Pansy asked astonished.

"Narcissa helped us out." Harry stated quietly.

"Hence, her falling down the stairs." Pansy sighed understanding now Draco's resolve.

"Yes." Harry commented.

"Hand me that quill Ron I'll draw out what I know, then Goyle here can add anything I missed." Pansy got up and took the quill from Ron's hand.

********

Jake woke with a pounding headache. He slowly sat up groaning. After clearing his head he examined the room. Draco sat off to the side talking quietly with Hermione. Quinn stood by the window watching the rising moon.

"Lupin will be useless tonight." Quinn stated to no one in particular.

"Where are we?" Jake asked trying to stand.

"Home." Draco plainly stated.

"Malfoy Manor?" He squinted at Draco. "Wait, why are you two here?"

"Lucius attacked us by the lake." Quinn answered, still looking out the window.

"What do we do now?" Hermione asked trying to hide her fear.

"Wait for them to rescue us." Jake stated. "Don't worry Cody will find us and Donovan will get us out."

"They want to trap Harry." Hermione stated. "He will come looking for us. Then they will trap him. We're bait."

"Harry is stronger than anyone realizes, including Harry." Quinn turned around to look at Hermione. "Ron will come up with a plan. Between him and Donovan, with Harry's power Lucius doesn't stand a chance."

"I warn you all now. Lucius will hurt us to make Harry suffer. To make sure I suffer." Draco stated walking over towards the window. "I've felt his hand before and I know by the end of the night I'll feel it again."

"Draco, there is something I should tell you." Quinn looked at him. "When you were born your mother made my your godmother. Obviously Lucius didn't know anything about it, and since Lucius won't live through the night would you mind if after this. Do you want to stay with me and Sirius?"

"Godmother?" Draco actually smiled.

"Don't know what she was thinking."

"I would love to stay with you and Sirius." He looked out the window. "Maybe I'll finally know what a real family is."

**************

Crabbe snuck into the room underneath the cloak, by following Snape. Snape had turned around and looked around sensing something. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary so turned back around and went into the room. Sirius was pacing back and forth between the fireplace and window.

"I'll kill him!" Sirius screamed.

"Calm down Black the last thing Quinn needs is you running off trying to save her without thinking things through. The last time you did that you ended up in Azkaban." Snape snapped at him. Sirius just glared back and continued his pacing. "And if you get yourself caught or killed I swear I'll start courting Quinn, she will need a comforting shoulder to cry on." Snape gave him an evil smirk.

"You wouldn't!" Black stopped suddenly almost falling over. He wasn't sure what upset him more, Snape trying to calm him down or Snape with Salem.

"Don't tempt fate." Snape raised his eyebrow.

"Fine." Sirius sat calmly in the chair and looked at Donovan. "What is your suggestion?"

"He has them locked in the dungeon. From what we can tell they are in the far rooms." Donovan walked over to the monitors. "It seems this was part of their plan. Blaise figured if he grabbed Hermione, Harry would come running. It was just a fluke they grabbed Jake, basically he was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"What about Draco and Salem?" Snape asked.

"Lucius wants revenge against Draco. He wants to punish him for his disobedience." Monica answered.

"Salem being grabbed was also a fluke." Sirius commented.

"Basically, they weren't planning on grabbing her. But now they figure they could use her to their advantage. Lucius sees this as an opportunity to flush out Sirius." Donovan commented.

"What's the plan?" Snape asked.

"You know Malfoy Manor better than any of us. I suggest we raid the Manor tonight and get them out." Donovan walked over to a trunk sitting up against the wall. He opened it and pulled out a 9mm gun. He slammed in the clip and loaded the chamber, then tossed it over Alex. He reached back into the trunk pulling up a second gun, lock and loading it. He stood back up putting the gun in the small of his back.

"What about Harry and Ron?" Monica asked.

"We should tell them Hermione is missing. If we don't they are going to worry and possibly go looking for her." Sirius stated.

"And we know how those two can get into trouble." Snape stated. "First off let us stop by my rooms. I have some potions that could be useful. Plus Black here will need a wand."

"Monica and Cody you keep monitoring the Manor contact me if anything comes up." Donovan stated as they headed out.

Crabbe snuck back out the door and headed down the hallway towards the Gryffindor common room. When he was sure he was alone he pulled off the cloak and ran the rest of the way.

Ron stood in front of the drawn floor plans of Malfoy Manor. He was drawing lines and figurations along the sides. Every once in a while he tapped the quill on his cheek and biting his lower lip.

"Okay this is the plan." Ron turned to the group. The portrait opened up to reveal Crabbe running into the room.

"Snape is taking Donovan, Alex, and Sirius to the Manor." Crabbe stated. "They are first stopping by Snape's rooms to get some potions, then they will head here to inform us of what is going on."

"And tell us we have to stay here, right?" Harry commented.

"Exactly." Crabbe stated. "I was thinking that Lucius would probably hand them over to 'you-know-who', which means they won't be in the dungeon for much longer."

"They will head towards the clearing." Pansy stated. She got up and walked over to the map drawing the where the clearing was located.

Ron looked at it and we figured some calculations. "Actually this would work better, but we need to get a few things."

"Like what?" Seamus asked.

"A couple of death-eater robes and some things from Professor Quinn's rooms." Ron stated matter of fact.

"That's all?" Seamus smiled. "That should be easy."

***************

The cell door opened and Draco was thrown back into the room. He landed with a sickening thud. Hermione glared at Blaise then bent down to check Draco's wounds. So far they had only taken Draco and Salem. Salem had not yet returned, they were beginning to worry. Blaise laughed at them, turned and left.

Jake kneeled across from Hermione. "How is he?"

"A few broken ribs, but mostly cuts and bruises." Hermione stated running her fingers gently over Draco's ribs.

Draco groaned, slowly opened his eyes. "Ouch."

Hermione smiled at him, "what did they want?"

"Nothing, they know about the bugs and cameras. Lucius enjoyed tormenting me with the knowledge that Narcissa died for nothing." Draco sighed.

"Her death wasn't in vain." Jake stated trying to comfort the boy. Jake felt helpless. He was used to busts going wrong but this was way beyond his skills. He had to rely on students, students that were too young to deal with torture and death.

"Draco?" Hermione hesitated.

"Yes." Draco stated moving his head slightly to look at her.

"I have been wanting to ask you something." Hermione sat back looking at him.

Draco struggled to sit-up. Jake helped him lean against the wall. "What?"

"What changed you?" Hermione fiddled with her robe. "I mean you left in fifth year a bastard then all of the sudden you came back changed."

"I'm sorry." Draco started. "I'm sorry for calling you those names. I wish I could say my father made me say those things or that I didn't know any better, but I can't. I believed in everything that my father taught me. I truly felt that only pure bloods should be taught magic. I hated Harry for his fame and for choosing Ron and you over me a pureblood."

He paused then continued. "Last summer Narcissa sent me away, her Aunt lives in Paris. Even though she is a strong witch, she decided to live life as a muggle. After everything that happened in fifth year, I knew Lucius was angry with me. So I figured being forced to live, as a muggle over the summer was his way of punishing me. It ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me. She taught me to see the world differently. She showed me that muggles weren't evil people. That muggle born wizards and witches have done great things for the wizard community. I thought about you, Hermione, and how good of a witch you are. But the thing that opened my eyes was a muggle movie."

"Which one?"

"It was called Schindler's List." Draco looked up. "My aunt had to meet some friends of hers and had to leave me alone at the flat. She told me to watch a movie to entertain myself. I just randomly pulled one off her shelf. I had not clue what it was about, but by the time I finished the movie I was in tears. She found me that way. I had so many questions. Why were those people killed? I didn't understand. She then explained who Hitler was and how he hated the Jews, and his determination to kill every one of them. I realized Voldemort was no different than Hitler. Because he hated the fact his father was a muggle, he wanted to destroy all muggles and muggle born wizards. Hitler was the same, his mother was Jewish and he killed 6 million people because he hated her. I knew right then everything I was taught was wrong and full of hate."

"I actually cried myself to sleep that night." Draco had tears in his eyes but once again he held them back. "I swore right then I would make amends with Harry and his friends. I would tell everything I knew to the Ministry. I would help fight against Voldemort and my father. If Schindler, one man a muggle, could save so many lives; then I Draco Malfoy a wizard, could help rid the world of Voldemort and his followers."

"Thank you, Draco." Hermione hugged him careful of his wounds.

"What for?"

"For telling me." She smiled. "Don't worry Harry will get us out of here. He's good at defy death and defeating 'you-know-who'."

"That boy has nine lives." Jake stated.

"Well we only have two more years at school so he should be safe." Draco smiled.

The door opened once again with Lucius standing there. "Get up, boy!"

Jake helped Draco up and supported him on one side. Hermione supported him on the other.

"You have a date with The Dark Lord."

**********

Sirius walked into an empty Gryffindor common room, well almost empty. Donovan walked in behind him, looked around and cursed. In the middle of the room stood Dobby the House Elf.

"Dobby where is Harry?" Sirius asked.

"I'm sorry Master Black I tried to stop them but Dobby wasn't strong enough." Dobby shuffled around.

"Where are they?" Donovan asked.

"I told them it wasn't safe. They made Dobby tell them how to get to old master's house."

"They went to Malfoy Manor?" Snape demanded.

"To save Harry's friends."

"Shit!" Donovan stated. Alex walked over to the map on the wall.

"Hey, Donovan take a look at this." She pulled the map off the wall. Donovan walked over and looked it over.

"This could work." Donovan studied it a bit.

"Donovan they are moving them to the clearing." Cody voice came through Donovan's walkie-talkie. "The motion sensors went off."

"Can you tell who?" Donovan asked.

"No, they discovered the bugs, but not all of them. I only got snippets of conversation. All I heard was that they were moving the prisoners and then the sensors went off in the clearing."

"Keep you're eye out. Harry and his friends are heading that way." Donovan stated.

"Damn, the kid got guts." Cody ended transmission.

"Let's go." Donovan motioned to the others. The four of them headed off towards the front gates.

Dobby stood in the common room trying to decide what to do. Harry needed help.

 

Chapter 19: Family Feud

Ron pulled an unconscious death-eater into the small clearing not far from where Lucius Malfoy was located. The rescue team had set up base there so they could have easier access. There were many paths that lead between the two clearings and a few that led around to the opposite side. Crabbe and Goyle pulled in two more unconscious guards from the opposite side. They stripped them of their robes, tied them up, and left them in the clearing. Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle pulled on the robes then looked at Ron for their next assignment.

"This is the plan. You three head into the clearing and try to get close to the prisoners. Seamus and I are going to distract the group. While Harry sneaks around to the other side to confront Lucius." Ron stated stepping up to the group.

"How are you going to distract them?" Pansy asked.

"With these." Ron held up some odd-looking pears.

"What are those?" Seamus asked. Picking one up eyeing it carefully.

"A muggle weapon." Ron stated grabbing it back. "You pull this pin out and throw it."

"Then what does it do?" Harry asked.

"Makes a distraction." Ron smirked.

In the larger clearing the four prisoners were standing next to each other facing Lucius, who stood about twenty-five feet away. There were no direct guards around them, just a few scattered death-eaters located around the outer-rim of the clearing. Salem looked tired and was leaning a bit to her left favoring her right leg. Draco stood on his own two feet, but Hermione stood by to give him support if he needed it. Jake stood behind Salem watching everything around him seeing if an opening would arise for them to escape. Lucius turned away from them when someone Apparated into the clearing with a loud 'pop'. Hermione gasped and Draco took a step back.

Jake leaned in towards Salem. "Who's the Emperor?"

Salem turned towards Jake trying not to laugh. "Voldemort."

"Damn, so I guess that makes Lucius, Vader?" Jake smiled. He was always trying to find the humor in situations even if it was his own death.

"Yep and that makes Draco here, Luke." Salem smiled.

"What are you two rambling about?" Draco demanded.

"Remind me to show you Star Wars over the summer." Salem stated.

********

Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy entered the clearing from the far left-hand side. They headed straight for the prisoners that were kept in the middle of the clearing. Crabbe barely stopped in time when Pansy stopped dead in her tracks.

"What is it?" he hissed in her ear.

"Him." She motioned with her heads towards Voldemort.

"Damn! That can't be good. Just look down and keep going." His voice had a slight quiver in it, giving away his fear.

The three Slytherins made it towards the prisoners, stepping behind them to act as their guards. Pansy quietly made her way up to Draco.

"If I get you out of here, will you take me to the end of the year ball?" Pansy drawled.

Draco stiffened at first then grinned. Hermione eyes went in shock she tried to turn around but Draco grabbed her. He nodded his head yes, and then nodded towards a small group on the right hand side. Standing on the clearing edge was Blaise, Mr. Zabini, Peter Pettigrew and Pansy's own father. Pansy's world turned upside down. By helping Draco she will have to go against her father. She threw her shoulders back and made the decision that would change her life.

Harry made his way over towards the opposite side of the clearing. He had come within a few feet of Lucious without being seen when Voldemort Apparated into the clearing. His scar began to burn. He shook his head to clear his mind and focus on the task ahead.

Voldemort turned towards Lucius, "I see you brought me the traitor."

"Yes, My Lord."

Voldemort eyes focused behind Lucius towards the edge of the clearing. "I see you brought my the boy also."

Lucius spun around looking into the forest. Harry stepped out wand raised. It was now or never. As he could sense Voldemort, Voldemort could sense him.

"Drop your wand Lucius." Harry demanded.

"Foolish boy." Voldemort laughed. "Come to save your pitiful friends. Such a true Gryffindor."

A small pear looking device landed into the middle of the clearing. Everyone's eyes followed it as it rolled to a stop.

"Some distraction." Seamus snarled at Ron.

"It was supposed to work. Did you pull the pin?" Ron snarled back.

Salem sprung into action. She grabbed Draco and threw him onto the ground. Jake pulled Hermione towards him shoving both of them into the ground covering her with his body as protection.

The world exploded around them. The grenade went off sending dirt and debris into the air, startling everyone and sending the small group into chaos.

"Wicked." Both boys commented.

Salem jumped up rushing the nearest guard. She tackled him to the ground, pulling herself back up and kicked him in the jaw sending him sprawling. Jake helped Hermione up pulling her behind him heading back towards the forest. Draco pulled himself off the ground heading towards Lucius.

Blaise growled pulling his wand.

"Expellimus." Snape appeared in the clearing with Sirius right behind him. Sirius took one look at Peter and grinned. Peter squeaked and turned into his rat form and ran for the safety of the trees. Sirius transformed into Snuffles and gave chase.

Snape turned to face Blaise. "You were always a poor student." Snape barely heard Mr. Zabini curse before he brought his wand around and countered it. The two death-eaters faced off.

Blaise picked up his wand and went after Hermione. Ron threw a few more of the pears then noticed Blaise stalking towards Hermione. Jake had been hit by a spell; she was doing her best to protect him even without her wand. Quinn's defense classes were starting to come in handy. He now realized why women should learn defense.

"Seamus keeping it up, I have to help Hermione." Ron ran out of the trees.

"Hoo-Ahh" He yelled out Salem's battle cry and tackled Blaise to the ground. The two boys fought with Ron slowly getting the upper hand. He had more training, plus he was a good couple sizes larger. He pulled Blaise off the ground and hit him Square in the jaw sending him back to the ground.

He turned to Hermione, "are you ok ay?"

"Yes, Ron I'm fine. Go help Draco he doesn't have a wand."

Ron hesitated not wanting to leave her behind. "Go Ron, I'll take care of her." Seamus smiled. Ron looked up and saw Alex running up from the trees towards Jake.

Ron turned and ran towards Draco, who was now less than five feet from Lucius. Lucius turned and pulled his wand on Draco sneering. Draco stopped and smiled coldly at his father. Ron pulled his wand and stood next to Draco. Draco looked a bit surprised but didn't flinch.

"Tell me Mr. Malfoy what's worse. A Weasley helping a Malfoy or Malfoy working with a Weasley?"

"Stupid boy." Lucius threw a curse at Draco. Ron knocked him down and countered it. He surprised even himself, he must have really been listening in DADA this year, or Harry was rubbing off on him.

Harry and Voldemort faced each other their twin wands raised.

"Do you think you can defeat me?"

"Yes."

"You're really that confident?"

"No."

"Then what makes you think you can defeat me?"

"I did it once, I can do it again."

"That was luck."

"And now it's training."

The two began to duel curses flying through the air. Voldemort was becoming aware of Harry's power, as was Harry.

Salem dropped two more death-eaters and looked around the clearing. It was chaos. Harry and Voldemort were circling each other throwing one curse out after another. Ron was battling Lucius with Draco behind him looking for any opportunity to take Lucius down. Alex kept guard while Hermione and Seamus tried to undo the spell Jake was cursed with. Snape was battling Mr. Zabini while Crabbe and Goyle were trying to sneak up on Lucius. Lucius turned towards them sending a leg-locking curse towards the both of them. He turned back to Draco and grinned. She saw a flash of black fur run by chasing a rat. If it weren't so serious it would be humorous. While the fighting was going on there was a dog and rat running in and out of the clearing.

"Crucio." Ron fell to the ground screaming.

"Ron!" Hermione yelled running towards him. Draco stepped in front of his father.

"This is ends now Father."

"Yes, son it does." What Lucious didn't expect was Draco to kick the wand out of his hand. Lucius eyed his son and backed up. Draco grinned and advanced on his father. Lucius stepped back then pulled a gun out from behind his back. It was Jake's gun. Draco stopped and eyed the weapon then looked up into the cold eyes of his father.

"Just because I don't like Muggles doesn't mean I don't appreciate they weapons." Lucius aimed the gun at Draco.

Snape rolled away from the last curse jumping up and disarming Mr. Zabini. He knocked him down to the ground and turned towards the clearing. He got a glimpse of Pansy cursing her father as he fell to the ground.

"My Slytherins are turning into damn Gryffindors."

Voldemort was loosing ground with Harry. Harry was exhausted but he wasn't about to show it. Voldemort turned his wand away from Harry and yelled. "Crucio" it hit its mark. The dog crumbled to the ground whimpering.

"Sirius." Harry turned it was the second Voldemort needed. He pulled his wand back up and began to utter those words when Dumbledore stepped into the clearing blocking the spell heading towards Harry.

"Tom." Dumbledore stated. Harry stood next to him wand raised realizing his mistake, a mistake that almost cost him his life.

"Dumbledore." Voldemort knew when to leave, he Apparating out of the clearing. Harry ran up to Sirius who had transformed back into his human form. Salem was already there helping him up.

"Damn! Peter got away."

A yowl, a squeak, and then a rustle of leaves could be heard from the edge of the clearing. McGonagall stepped out from the trees holding a rat from her fingers.

"I do believe this belongs to you Mr. Black." She held it up towards Sirius.

"Thank you." He grabbed the rat and smiled. Harry uttered the spell and the rat turned back into Peter. Harry then bounded him with another spell and turned towards Dumbledore.

"How?"

"A certain house elf. He was quiet upset."

A gunshot rang out. Everything stopped and the world went still. Snape pulled Goyle up turning fast towards the sound. Crabbe froze in his spot fear creeping into his heart. Pansy looked away from her shocked father hoping not to see what she feared. Alex stood gun raised protecting Jake, while Seamus stood next to her wand raised to protect her. Harry spun away from Sirius knocking Peter back to the ground. Sirius watched in horror at the sight of Lucius and Draco standing less than ten feet apart from each other. Hermione held Ron in her lap, her hand clasped over her mouth eyes wide with fear. They all watched as the seconds ticked by. They all watched as Draco flinched hands clutching his stomach. They all watched as Lucius fell to the ground revealing Donovan standing behind him gun raised.

Draco went into shock. When he saw the gun he knew his father would kill him like he did his mother. When the gun went off he flinched expecting to feel the pain as the bullet ripped through him. He was shocked that he felt no pain. He was astonished to see Lucius fall. He was delighted at the sight of Donovan standing there, gun raised. Then his world began to crumble. He couldn't hold back the tears anymore. The tears that threatened to spill back when the hands of his father killed his mother. He barely registered Salem's presence when she pulled him into her embrace. He began to cry. He cried for the loss of his mother, the loss of his father, and the loss of his childhood. His legs began to shake no longer able to hold him up. Strong arms slowly lowered him to the ground just holding and comforting him as he released the years of pain and sorrow.

The sky opened up letting the rain fall to the ground, drenching everyone in the clearing. Washing away the blood and pain. No one knows how long they stood there nor did anyone care. They all felt Draco's pain his sobs reflected their own. Their childhoods were over. The war had begun.

 

 

Chapter 20: Dreams Do Come True

It was a beautiful spring day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A small group of students and guests were gathered outside near the lake at the edge of the forest. By their stances and animated voices they were relaxed and were enjoying the day.

It had been two weeks since the first battle took place. Some say the first battle was on that fateful day Harry Potter became the boy who lived. Others say it was when Harry faced Voldemort in his first year at Hogwarts. Yet even more say it was when Voldemort returned in Harry's fourth year. But the group standing by the lake enjoying the sun will tell you it doesn't matter when the first battle took place. It only matters that that it had taken place.

"Here is the owl we promised you." Draco held a cage up towards Donovan. "We named her Witch. I figured you would see the humor in it."

Donovan smiled at the boy. No, he corrected himself a young man. They weren't kids anymore, and he wondered if they really ever were. Draco was just now starting to smile again. He had been quiet and thoughtful for the week after the battle. It was Sirius that got him to finally open up. Draco still felt guilty for the death of his parents. With Salem's help he was starting to remember and learn about the good things about his mother. He started to honor her memory instead of blaming himself for her death.

"So how does this work again?" Donovan took hold of the cage. Inside was an American barn owl. It hooted at him and he swore smiled.

"You write a letter, attach it to her leg, and she will bring it to whoever you tell her to bring it to." Draco smiled.

"You guys never heard of the post-office?" Donovan smiled.

Hermione and Jake walked up towards Draco and Donovan animatedly talking about various curses. Jake smiled at the owl and the owl nipped at him for good measure. Then hooted at Donovan in a fashion that said. 'See I'm a good bird I tried to bite him for you.'

"Great Donovan you already trained the bird to hate me." Jake smiled.

"No, I didn't it has good taste." Donovan smirked.

"You would have made a great Slytherin." Draco smiled.

"Jake I have something for you." Hermione stated pulling up a long rectangle box.

Jake took it out of her hands and opened it up. He gasped and looked up at her questioning. "Are you sure?"

"You will need it. Plus I sent some books back with you so you can practice." Hermione smiled.

Jake pulled out the wand from the box. Then set the box down on the ground and flicked his wrist. "Wingardium Levi-o-sa." The box lifted up off the ground. Jake beamed.

"Good, see hard work does pays off." Hermione stated nodding her head to finish the point.

"I set up an email account for all of you." Cody was talking with Ron as they came up to join the small group. "If you need anything just email us."

"Thanks Cody you've been a great help." Ron smiled. He walked over to Hermione slipping his arm around her waist. The two of them had really talked over the past few weeks. Admitting feelings they had for each other and not wanting to face this war unless they were by each other's side. Harry was thrilled when they told him. He kept mumbling something like 'took you long enough'.

Harry and Monica came up next quietly talking. She had been a big help to all of the students talking with them and helping them sort out their feelings. Harry had a difficult time coming to the realization one day he will have to kill. Jake had stepped in and taken him for a walk. Telling him
what the Father at his orphanage had once told him when he felt the same way. What was the difference between him and the men he was chasing? The difference was we have nightmares about things we have done, they don't.

"So what happens now?" Cody asked.

"With the capture of Peter and his confession that he was the one who betrayed my parents, Sirius has been cleared of all charges and freed." Harry smiled. "Which means I don't have to go back to the Dursleys."

"Where well you go?" Jake asked.

"To live with Sirius and Salem." Draco stated. "Since Sirius is Harry's godfather and Salem is my godmother they got custody of us."

"So you two will be basically brothers." Cody smiled.

"Unfortunately, yes." Harry and Draco stated at the same time. The both looked at each other and started laughing.

"What about Crabbe and Goyle?" Ron asked.

"Staying with their Aunts, who by no means are death-eaters." Draco commented.

"Donovan what are Alex and Remus talking about?" Jake pointed at the two, who were standing away from the rest of the group.

"I don't know. But I have a feeling Alex might be leaving us soon." Donovan stated. He could see it in her clearly. She was never the same after being shot and he knew she missed Carlos. Remus has been a great sounding board. The two talked a lot about many different things, one of them being her relationship with Carlos. He put in perspective for Alex when he stated that Salem and Sirius had lost 15 years he didn't want her to make the same mistake.

"Everyone it's time to start." Dumbledore called out to the small group. He stood by the trees smiling at the two people who stood in front of him.

Sirius and Salem were both wearing formal robes. Salem was wearing a light silver robe with various shades of blue enter-twined throughout. Sirius was wearing a dark blue robe that had a silver ribbon pattern along the edges. The two stood before Dumbledore with their hands clasped together. Remus walked up and stood next to Sirius while McGonagall stood next to Salem.

"We are gathered her today to witness the union of two people who are very much in love. It's been a long and tiring journey, one with a lot of pain and regret. But in the end the paths were lead back to each other stronger than before." Dumbledore smiled at the two. "These two have sworn their love and oath to each other and now will share their vows with the ones they love."

"I Sirius swear never to leave or forsake you. I will love you until my last breath and beyond. I will stand by you in times of trouble. I will fight next to you in the darkest of times. I will laugh with you in the precious moments. And I will cry with you in tragedy. I love you Salem with my heart, body and soul."

"I Salem swear never to leave or forsake you. I will stand by you when the times get rough. I will cherish every moment I have with you. When you take your last breath I will take mine. I will keep you warm and safe at night. I love you Sirius more than life itself."

"With these vows the two of you have been bonded together." Dumbledore smiled eyes glowing with unshed tears. "I bless this union and may you have a long and happy life."

"You may kiss your wife." Dumbledore added quietly.

Sirius pulled Salem into his arms and kissed away her tears then kissed her passionately showing her how much he loved her.

The small group cheered, laughed and cried. Even though the times were getting dark it was moments like these that made the fight worth fighting for. Sirius and Salem turned to the group smiling, hugging various friends and enjoying their time together.

Dumbledore, Snape and McGonagall stood off to the side watching the festivities. "To bad the James and Lily aren't here to see this." McGonagall stated.

"They are Minerva. As long as their memory lives on they will be here always. Isn't it interesting how history repeats itself? I remember James and Lily's wedding with the Marauders giving support and love for the new couple. Now I stand here marrying Sirius and Salem with a new generation of Marauders giving their support and love. Won't you agree Severus?"

Snape eyed Draco, Harry, Ron and Hermione. "Except I think this group is more troublesome than their predecessors."

"You're probably right Severus." Dumbledore smiled.

They watched the group talk, laugh and enjoy each other's company. Times like these will be rare in the next few years. Donovan and his team were leaving that evening to go back to America. If they needed anything they were to owl them and help would arrive. Meantime Harry and friends would finish their classes, take their tests, and graduate in a little over a year's time. After that, no one knows for what the future will hold for them.

Harry had survived another encounter, and Voldemort had escaped once again. Blaise had also escaped. When the battlefield had been cleared he was nowhere to be found. Over the next few weeks they got word he was Voldemort's new right-hand man, taking Lucius's place by his side.

Dumbledore knew deep down that they would be seeing Donovan and his team again. The war had just begun - it was far from over.

END

Authors Note: It's finished! While writing this story I realized it was more involved than
first anticipated. About half way through I had started to envision the
sequel. Which is all ready being written. Watch in the next few weeks for -
The Unspeakables.

Thank you for reading Undercover Witch. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I
have enjoyed writing it. Please review on your way out - Thank You.