Title: A Voice From the Past

Author: Taneth

Fandom: UC: Undercover

Pairing: Frank/Jake

Disclaimers _ I own no-one

Rating – NC17

Summery – Sequel to Strange Combination

Feedback – please ardethsmistress@hotmail.com


A Voice From the Past
by Taneth

It had been about four months since Frank and Jake had been together but they had decided not to say anything to anyone, just in case. At work it had been purely professional but outside the office, it was getting more intense. Their relationship was going from strength to strength.

One particular week, Donovan had sent Jake and Alex out on an assignment to get some bank robbers that were hiding in an old barn, about ten miles from Chicago suburbs. Things went well at first but then they found they had problems in more ways than one.

The bullets whizzed past Jake as he watched Alexs back. Swinging round, he fired his gun in rapid succession, the man fell in a pool of blood. Alex ran over to Jake, who could see by her face that she was fuming.

"Bloody Donovan, he told us there were two, not fucking four"

"How many did you get?"

"One, you?"

"I got two of them, the other ran over there, he'll be long gone" replied Jake getting his breathe back.

They left the police to clear up and headed for the car. All the way back to the office, Alex ranted.

"For Gods sake, shut up" yelled Jake. "If you want to carry on, do it to Donovan not me"

"Oh thanks, it's ok when I have to listen to you. You never know when to shut up"

"Me, how can you say that?"

"What about last week, when you tripped and fell down that hill, chasing that guy, all I heard for the next hour was you. And the language"

"Well, I hurt my bloody ankle, didn't I?"

"But an hour, no wonder no-one will marry you, would kill you in a week"

"Well I don't see the church waving at you either"

Alex still wanted to give Donovan a piece of her mind.

"We could have got ourselves killed today" she shouted at Donovan "You should have known there were four of them"

"Finished Alex" said Donovan.

"Sir!"

"Our information was, 2 bank robbers, came from a good source. We didn't know about the other two. How many did you get?"

"Three" said Jake "One got away"

"Description?"

"No, but I'd say early 30's, white, about 6ft, athletic type. Couldn't see his face, had a mask on."

"Do we have ID on the others?"

"Yes, a man called Johnson, he was the leader. Peterson, he carried the shotgun and the 3rd man was called Hall, nothing known about him" said Alex.

"Alan Hall?" questioned Donovan.

"Yes" replied Jake.

"When was the last time you got acquainted with up to date files, Alex, Jake"

"Must admit, about a month ago" said Alex.

"Well, should look more often. Alan Hall is known to us. A merc, from Africa. Involved in most of the uprising in South Africa. Settled here 2 years ago. Involved in several Nazi matches etc. Got a record as long as your arm. Apparently has it in for any ex merc and authority in general"

"Well, he's dead now" said Jake sarcastically.

"Yes but his brother isn't. Peter Hall, just as nasty. From how you describe the other man who ran, it was Peter"

"Can't we just pick him up?" asked Alex.

"Not a chance, no-one knows where he lives, goes to ground as soon as something goes down. But and this is important. When he finds out who shot his brother, he'll come after them. And he won't care how. Which one of you shot him?"

"I did" said Jake.

"Then you've to watch yourself till we can find him. So the bars will be one of the first places to check"

"Oh great" said Jake "Do we have too?"

"No Jake, I want Alex to try and find him. He will be easier to flush out with a woman on her own"

Alex nodded and left to go and get ready. Donovan would brief her before she left and Cody and Monica would monitor her wherever she went. Frank was meeting Jake at the bar round the corner for a drink, he didn't have to worry about Alex, this assignment was easy. All she had to do was find the man, chat him up, take him back to her place where the police would be waiting. After about half hour, they decided that they had had enough.

"You want me to stay tonight" said Jake when they got to Franks place.

"Of course, do you need to ask?"

"Well we have been so busy and with Alex out there, I didn't know if you wanted to go back to the office"

"No, if there is any problem, I have my mobile" replied Frank.

As he opened the door, his sixth sense told them something was wrong. He nodded to Jake and both pulled out their guns and crept in. Suddenly Frank moaned and crumpled to the floor as someone hit him from behind the door.

"FRANK" yelled Jake as he tried to run to the man side.

But a gun was shoved in his throat which brought him to a halt.

"Don't even think about it" said Hall "Leave him, it's you I want"

He marched him back out of the door, down the stairs and as they reached the car, Hall hit him over the back of the head. Out cold, Hall bundled him into the car and drove off. Frank came round with a bump on his head. He staggered to the phone and rang the office, he hoped they would still be there, it was after midnight.

"Hello…Frank is that you"

"Cody…….Jake…….been……kidnapped"

Frank just managed to tell him before passing out.

"Frank, FRANK"

The line was silent. Jumping up, Cody grabbed his coat and telling Monica to watch Alex, he left to ride over to Franks place. Monica waited till it was safe and called Alex and told her to get over to Franks.

"Monica…it's Cody"

"What is Cody?"

"You'd better get an ambulance over to Franks, just in case, I'll meet it there"

In fact Cody arrived before the ambulance and he raced up the stairs. He rushed into Franks flat. The man was laying on the floor, still holding onto the phone. Cody took it and put it back and then knelt beside him and felt for a pulse. Just then the ambulance men came in.

"Quick, help him"

They put him in the ambulance and Cody went with him to the hospital. An hour later Frank came round and saw Cody standing by the window.

"Jake!"

"It's alright, I have everyone looking for him, now what happened?"

Frank told him what had gone down. Then he started to get out of bed.

"Stay there Frank, you can leave in the morning"

"But I have to find Jake" he yelled. "And you won't stop me"

Cody knew there was more to Jake and Franks relationship than they let on. He also knew as soon as his back was turned, Jake would leave.

"Okay but you stay with me, we'll find him together"

"Thanks Cody"

He helped Frank to the car, his head was killing him and he had a bump the size of a golf ball on the back. They went back to the office first and into Donovans office. The man was still feeling a bit dizzy so Cody gave him a glass of scotch.

"Come on boss, do you good, get it down you. Now let's find out where Hall has taken Jake"

Hall drove for about 3 miles and stopped at a disused warehouse. Getting out, he pulled Jake from the car and carried him into the warehouse and tied him up by the old grinder. In it's heyday, the warehouse ground grain into floor and supplied the whole area but it had long since been closed and was due for demolition in a few days. If Hall didn't get what he wanted, instead of killing Jake quickly he would leave him to the demolition men. Either way Jake was going to die. He wanted revenge for his dead brother and authority didn't bother him in the slightest. He'd kill anyone who got in the way. The man came round to a cold, damp place, his hands were tied behind his back, his feet were tied to his hands so he couldn't move. His head hurt and he wondered where he was.

"Well so my brothers killer is awake"

"What the hell do you want and what did you do to Frank?"

"Oh your boss will be alright, headache, no more, he's not important. But you, I'm going to make you suffer for what you did to my brother"

"Your brother was scum and you're no better" growled Jake his temper flaring.

Hall backhanded him and blood trickled from the corner of Jakes mouth.

"Shut up, you know nothing about my brother, he was good to me "

"Yeah, and a bastard to everyone else"

Jake knew he should keep his mouth shut but his reckless nature and the fact Hall had hurt Frank got the better of him.

"I'm warning you, one more word and I'll shoot you. Not dead but maybe a leg or an arm so you can suffer. Don't think I won't"

Jake continued to taunt Hall even though his conscious told him not too. Hall pulled out his gun and fired.

"Aahhh" gasped Jake.

Blood poured from the wound in his leg and slowly Jake passed out with the pain. Frank knew something was wrong now, they had become one in many ways, knowing each others moves, thoughts, moods. He just had the feeling that Jake was out there, somewhere, hurt and needing him. He was jarred from his thoughts by the phone ringing. Donovan answered it.

"Where's Jake?" yelled Donovan.

At that Cody jumped up, Donovan put the speaker phone on so they could all hear the conversation.

"He's alive, at the moment. I want a ticket out of this country and immunity from any prosecution or he dies, either quickly or slowly, I don't care"

"You've got it, when and where" said Donovan.

"The old warehouse by the docks, the flour mill, 4pm. Come alone. Any police, he dies"

The phone went dead and Cody looked over at Frank.

"You're not going to give him what he wants?"

"As far as he is concerned yes, but as soon as he appears, a marksman will have him"

"But he said come alone. You could risk Jakes life"

"No, Murphy and Jaz will be on the roof of the building opposite. I know these warehouses, they can get in from the other side. Hall will never see them. Trust me Jake will be alright"

"Let's go"

Jake was fighting to stay conscious, his head throbbed, he could feel warm liquid running down his leg. Knowing it was blood, he tried to keep still, he was so cold and he knew shock and blood loss would kill him before Hall if help didn't come soon.

"Find me Frank please" he whispered.

Hall came back and told him that if Donovan brought what he had asked for by 4pm, he would be gone and then it was up to them to find him. He knew Jake wouldn't survive another few hours without help. But he didn't care. He'd made the man suffer, he wasn't really a cold blooded killer like his brother or he'd have killed Jake long before this. He just wanted to be out of England, Africa would be glad of his services. An hour to go.

At 4pm, Donovan got out of his car and walked towards the warehouse, two marksmen were on the roof, 500 yards away with a clear shot of the door. Cody had gone round the back of the warehouse, hoping to get in that way, while Hall was occupied with Donovan.

"HALL" shouted Donovan "HALL"

Hall looked through a broken window and saw Donovan standing there on his own.

"Keep your hands in your pockets" shouted Hall "You on your own?"

"Yes, get on with it Hall, I want Jake"

Hall came out and with a gun pointing at Donovan, walked over to him. Suddenly a shot rang and Hall fell to the ground, firing his gun as he went but missing Donovan by yards. Leaving him, Donovan ran into the warehouse.

Cody had found a door at the back which was open. He crept in and then hearing Hall shouting at Donovan, made his way into the main part of the warehouse. He was just about to look for Jake when he saw Donovan run in. Frank saw Jake lying on the floor by the grinding wheel. He ran over and slid to his knees beside his lover.

"Jake, Jake" he said quietly.

"Frank…..is that you?" he said weakly.

"'cause it's me, are you alright"

"No, my leg, he shot me, it's – hurts…."

He blacked out again. Cody came running in.

"Jake, Frank" he shouted.

"Over here" shouted Frank "Get an ambulance fast.

"Cody to control, ambulance, the old flour warehouse NOW"

Frank cradled Jake in his arms, he was shivering from cold and loss of blood.

"Hang in there Jake, won't be long"

Without realising it, Frank had tears running down his face. Cody noticed but didn't say anything. He knew that he was seeing a new side to Frank, he had let his guard down a bit and nothing but love radiated from him for this man who was his partner.

Later that night, Jake had been operated on to get the bullet out of his leg and was in a room recovering.

Three days later Frank helped Jake into his flat and sat him on the sofa with his leg up.

"Damn it hurts" he said.

"It must do for you to admit it, where's your painkillers?"

"In my bag, but I can't take anymore for another couple of hours"

"Do you want a drink or to lay down for a while?"

"Yes and I am laying down"

"I meant in bed sunshine"

"No, not yet anyway. I like watching you work and look after me, nurse"

"Fool, I'll get the tea, just rest that leg."

When he came back, Jake had his eyes closed and looked like he was sound asleep. Frank put the mugs down and went and got a blanket and covered him up. As he went to stand again, he stopped and looked at Jakes face. So handsome, he thought, he just wanted to kiss those
lips.

Brushing a wisp of hair off Jakes face and making sure he was asleep, he brushed his lips over his. Just a fleeting kiss and whispered "I love you Jake" Then sitting in the chair opposite drank his tea.

Jake was having a bad dream and he shouted in his sleep. Frank went over to him and stroked his forehead while holding his hand.

"Shh, it's ok, I'm here, you're safe"

Jakes eyes flickered open and saw a pair of concerned brown eyes looking at him.

"Frank…I thought I was back there, it was……"

"Hey, it's over, Halls dead and you're safe ok"

He got up and poured Jake a drink, with a hand behind his head he helped him drink it.

"I'm quite capable of drinking myself" he started to say "But who's complaining"

Frank sat on the floor beside Jake and turned the TV on. Jake watched him for a while, then he gently fiddled with Franks hair. This was a side that very few people saw in Frank. Since he had been with Jake he had let his soft side show more and more. He relaxed with Jake, became a totally different person.

"Frank"

"I thought you were asleep"

"Was but have been watching you. I need you Frank…I thought I was going to die out there and didn't think I would ever see you again"

"Didn't you trust me to find you?" asked Frank with a hurt look on his face.

"Of course I did, but I thought I would die before you got there. I love you Frank"

Frank snaked his hand round Jakes neck and pulled him down for kiss. Tongues searched and found every crevice and Jake squeezed Franks arse and pulled him on top of him.

"What about your leg?" asked Frank with a worried look on his face.

"I'm not going to fuck you with my leg. Help me up, let's move to the bedroom"

Frank helped him onto the bed but not before all his clothes were removed and his too.

"Are you sure about this Jake?"

"I've been sure for hours"

"Come here"

Frank laid beside him and while kissing him, nudged his knee between Jakes legs being careful of the plaster and rubbed his groin. Jake moaned into the kiss. Releasing him, Frank moved down the mans chest with little kisses and sucked on his nipples, which hardened as soon as they were touched. Then he kissed his navel and moving ever downward, took Jake in his mouth. Jake gasped as a warm, wet tongue licked up his shaft and teased the tip.

"Oh God Frank, please"

The man obliged and it wasn't long before Jake came, shouting Franks name. Both breathing heavy they lay beside each other, wrapped in each others arms.

"Oh Jake, I love you, really love you"

Jake looked at Frank and smiled.

"I love you too, so much. But there is a problem"

"Oh shit, what?" said Frank.

"I want you to fuck me, I need you inside me but how?" said Jake looking at the leg.

"There is only one way but it could hurt and that is for you to sit on me"

After Frank got some baby oil from the bathroom, Jake sat across Frank, being careful with the plaster

"Ouch, that hurt" said Jake catching the leg on the bedpost.

"Look maybe this is not a good idea" said Frank.

"You're not getting out of this that easy"

Carefully Jake inched down onto Frank until he fully sheathed.

"Damn, you've got a tight little arse, hot and sweet" said Frank.

Slowly Jake rode him and soon he was getting those feelings that only Frank could give him. With his hands on Franks chest, he got into a rhythm and threw his head back.

"Yes Frank, oh God, come for me, please"

At that Frank pumped Jake's cock with his hand. They both went over the edge together and Jake collapsed onto Frank's chest. Looking into Frank's eyes. He saw tears there. He asked him if he had hurt him.

"Hey, it's ok, I'm fine really"

"Come on Frank, what is it?"

Jake leaned on his elbow and looked at Frank, waiting for him to speak.

"When I found you in that warehouse, saw how much blood you'd lost and how cold you were and unconscious, I was scared I'd lose you"

Jake went to say something but Frank stopped him.

"No let me finish, as I held you, waiting for the ambulance, I and don't laugh, I had tears running down my face"

Jake gripped his hand but stayed quiet.

"Cody must have noticed, but he hasn't said anything yet"

Jake pulled Frank close and kissed him.

"You cried for me, oh Frank, no-one's ever cried for me before, I didn't think anyone could ever love me like that"

"Neither did I, you're callous, cold, over-bearing, bad-tempered, sweet, sexy and the most wonderful man I have ever known"

"Me bad-tempered, you sod, never known anyone with such a temper as you, my chin verifies that" he said with a wonderful grin on it.

They fell asleep, smiling to themselves. The next day, there was a knock on the door and Cody stood there.

"Can I come in Frank?"

"Sure, Jakes in there. Want a coffee?" asked Frank.

"Yeah, why not. Just wondered if you were coming into the office today. Bradley wants to see you about a case he needs sorting"

"I was coming in later. Jake wants to come in too, I said only if he stays on the sofa in the main office and didn't do anything too strenuous" replied Frank.

"Okay, the girls will be glad to see him… Look Frank…can I ask you
something?"

Frank could see by the look on the man's face what he wanted to ask and saved him the job and embarrassment.

"You want to know about the warehouse and us?"

Cody stuttered a reply and then nodded.

"Well Jake and I have been lovers for the last four months. We never said anything because of the problems that could come up if anyone else found out. You understand. But now that you know, I want you to swear that you will tell no-one, not even Alex and Monica. The less that know the safer for us"

"You got it boss, no-one will know anything from me"

"Thanks" said Jake "You haven't said whether you approve or not"

"Doesn't bother me, as long as you are happy and you certainly seem to be"

Cody drank the coffee that Frank gave him and after said that he would get back to the office and see them there later.

"Oh no you can give Jake a lift. I will bring my own car" said Frank "It will look better that way"

Jake and Cody agreed and after a fashion, Jake managed to get into the car and they drove to the office where the two girls fussed over Jake and made him comfortable. The last thing Jake saw, was Frank going into his office to see Bradley with a smirk on his face. He would pay for that later.

Two months later, Frank was on a job with Jake and Cody was in the office monitoring everything. Alex and Monica were in Washington on a special assignment for this Bradley, who worked for the President. They would be back in three weeks.

"Come on Frank, watch my back"

Frank fired as Jake ran over the waste ground after two men. He dropped and rolled as one stopped to fire but fell as Franks shot hit him in the chest. The other guy jumped into the car and skidded over the bumpy ground and was away. Frank and Jake went over to the dead man but when Frank looked at him after pulling the balaclava off his head, he gasped.

"Bloody hell, Blackie"

"You know him?" asked Jake.

"Yeah I know him and I have a bad feeling that the other man is Montoya"

"Who's Montoya?"

"Someone who tried to kill me once"

"Why?"

"Leave it Jake, I don't want to talk about it"

With that he walked back to the car, leaving Jake with a puzzled look on his face. All the time he had known Frank, he'd never mentioned this man or the fact he wanted Frank dead. He had to find out why but he'd leave it for now. He knew not to push Frank too far.

"So, the other man could be this Montoya, how sure are you Frank?" asked Cody.

"100% sure, Blackie didn't do anything without Montoya, they were joined at the hip, at least they were, when I knew them"

"I'll get a file on him, but tell me what you know"

With a scowl Frank walked to the window.

"He's about 35, been a merc for years, I met him a long time ago, when I was in Washington. He's vicious, a psychopath, killed a good friend of mine for no reason. Brilliant with explosives, guns and blades"

"Anything else?".

"Yeah he wants me dead"

Cody spun round at that comment and looked at Jake, who hadn't said a word since they walked into Donovans office. He just shrugged his shoulders.

"Why Frank?"

"Doesn't matter, it's personal but we hate each other and where I'm not a cold-blooded killer, he is"

Both men knew Frank wouldn't give much away and walked into his office.

"Well we have to find him, dead or alive. Whatever happened between him and Frank, this man could be after him. If he is, then we will have to watch Franks back"

"I know" replied Jake.

"Jake what do you know about this?"

"Nothing, I'd never heard of him till today, Frank's never talked about what he did in Washington. Do you really think he is in danger?"

"If what Frank says is true, and I have no reason to doubt him, then yes, he is, till this man is caught. But more than that, I have a feeling he'll make this personal, know what I mean"

"I know Cody, I'll watch him"

"See if you can find out what happened between Frank and Montoya"

Back at Jake's flat, he was drinking scotch like there was no tomorrow, he didn't even notice when Jake sat beside him and put a reassuring hand on his knee.

"Frank, leave the bottle enough to get pissed"

"I told you to leave it"

"No I won't, I love you and you life could be in danger"

"I can handle myself"

"Can you, against this guy"

The argument heated up and Frank smashed the glass against the wall.

"Leave it Jake, or God help me, I'll make you leave it. I'll find Montoya and when I do, I'll kill him ok"

He took his gun out and made sure it was loaded then walked towards the door. Jake jumped in front of him and took the gun out of his hand. Frank went mad and grabbed Jake, trying to get the gun back.

"Give it to me, you've no right to stop me, it's him or me, give it back, NOW"

"No Frank, find him yes, but not while you're pissed, you can't drive like that, you'll kill someone, if not yourself before you even find him"

They struggled and Jake pushed him against the wall, the gun having been flung across the room.

"I'm warning you Jake, get out of my way and give me that gun"

"No, you're not leaving here in that state"

Suddenly Frank's fist connected with Jake's jaw and he fell back, hitting his head on the coffee table. Frank looked at him and then went over to pick up the gun. As he turned round he saw that the man hadn't moved.

"Come on Jake, stop messing about, I didn't hit you that hard"

He went over expecting to see Jake grinning at him in defiance but Jake wasn't moving. Frank knelt beside him and ruffled his hair.

"Come on, get up, I'm sorry"

As he brought his hand up, he saw blood, he froze. God help him, what had he done to the man he loved more than anything in the world. The blood on his hand had sobered him up quicker than a cold shower. He lifted Jake onto the sofa and saw the small gash on the side of his head, it didn't look much but Jake hadn't come round. Grabbing a cloth from the bathroom, he laid it on the mans head.

"Jake, wake up love, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, please just wake up"

Half hour later, Jake started to come round to Frank cradling him in his arms. His head throbbed and his jaw hurt.

"Jake thank God, you ok?"

"Yeah, I think so, how long was I out, that was some punch"

"About 20-25 minutes, you hit your head on the table. You've got a gash and bump on your head. Should get a doctor check it out"

"No, I'm alright, had worse than that. What about you Frank, you alright"

"Yes, when I saw what I did, and you not coming round, it sobered me up in record time. Here drink this"

He had let Jake sit up and he checked on his head. It seemed ok now but he was still worried.

"Jake about Montoya, I'll tell you about him"

"You don't have to, although I would like to know. I'm sorry I pushed you, but I was worried about you"

"We are a couple of idiots but I do love you and I know you love me. But it is hard to talk about. I told you about my lover being killed 5 years ago in a shoot out, well Montoya was the one who did it. Till now I've never seen him, but I vowed I would kill him if I ever saw him again"

"Frank, I'm sorry, no-one ever knew about your past and I pushed you about it" said Jake standing up to get another drink. A wave of dizziness hit him and he swayed, Frank rushed to grab him.

"Sit down, I don't care what you say, I'm ringing the doctor" he said as he lay Jake back on the sofa.

The doctor came and went and told Jake to rest, he had mild concussion. Frank told him Jake had tripped and hit his head.

"If you are ok for a while, I'm going back to mine to get some clothes, don't worry I am NOT going after Montoya. I won't be long"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, don't worry, a couple of hours sleep and I'll be as right as rain"

Frank left and drove to his apartment and collected a few things. One of these days, it would better for them to get a place together, stop all this driving across the city.

They could keep one of the other ones on, just in case it was needed.

Frank let himself into his flat and went straight to the bedroom to pack a few things, he'd spend a couple of nights at Jakes. Suddenly an explosion rocked the block of flats. Franks flat was destroyed with Frank somewhere underneath it all.

Jake jumped up from dozing, something was wrong, Frank should have been back by now. He rang the flat but all he got was the out of order signal. He grabbed his jacket and flew out of the door and drove at top speed to Franks. As he turned the corner, he saw smoke, fireman and police outside Franks. Jumping out of the car, he raced to the door but Cody stopped him.

"You can't go in Jake, it's too dangerous"

"Where's Frank, is he?"

"They don't know, he is under that lot somewhere. Let them do their job"

Jake leant his head on the car, his head still hurt and he felt dizzy, then he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"What the hell happened, he was just getting some clothes"

"A bomb went off, in Franks flat, we had a call 5 minutes before but we couldn't reach Frank. He probably wasn't there then"

"Montoya?" asked Frank.

He told Cody what Frank told him and then he looked at the building, tears were rolling down his face. Cody put an arm round him.

"We'll find him and we'll get him out, alive, if at all possible. Here you need this"

He passed him his hip flask, full of pure malt scotch. Jake drank it but he wanted to get in there and help.

"I've got to help find him and no-one is going to stop me"

"You are in no fit state to help anyone" said Cody "people are out looking for Montoya now, we'll find him don't worry"

The he saw the look in Jakes eyes and before he could stop him, he had run over to the apartment and gone in, past the firemen and up the stairs. Some of the firemen were removing the rubble from the entrance to Franks flat. Luckily there was no fire, the smoke Jake thought he saw was nothing more than dust as the building collapsed.

Frank came round under a load of masonry and wood. He couldn't move, he was pinned down by something across his back. Blood ran down his face and he was cold. But he didn't seem to be hurt otherwise, nothing hurt him but he ached. It was dark and he felt panic rise, he was claustrophobic and hated confined spaces in the dark. Thankfully blackness took over again, just as he was wishing Jake was there. While the fireman were trying to get through the rubble slowly, Jake had had enough.

"NO WAIT" shouted one of the fireman.

But Jake climbed over the rubble to where the bedroom was. From the damage, it looked like the bomb had been placed in the entrance to the flat, the damage seemed to get less over here.

"FRANK, FRANK" he yelled. No answer.

One of the fireman followed and grabbed Jake by the arm.

"Look be careful yeah"

Moving some bits of wood, from what was the wardrobe, Jake carried on. Fighting the dizziness, he had to find Frank and fast. Suddenly he saw a hand, frantically he pulled at the debris and saw a large piece of timber across Franks back.

"Over here, help me with this"

Between the two of them, they lifted the wood off Frank and while the fireman went to get the paramedics, Jake cradled Frank.

"Frank, hey baby"

"Jake…thank God"

"What hurts, we'll soon have you outta here.

They carried him out on a stretcher and Cody ran over.

"How is he?"

"He seems fine, no broken bones, a very lucky man. If you could follow in the car, we have someone else to take in the ambulance"

"Of course, come on Jake"

They got into the car and pulled away behind the ambulance. Jake winced and held his head.

"Are you alright Jake?" asked Cody.

"Just the pain in my head, I think I'm going to…….."

Jake keeled over and Cody put his foot down to get to the hospital. Jumping out he called one of the nurses and explained what had happened.

"He said his head hurt and then blacked out"

"It's ok, we'll take care of him"

They lifted Jake out of the car and onto a stretcher. He was out cold and Cody was worried. After checking him over, the doctor came out.

"We've put him in a room, he has concussion, from an earlier head wound. He hasn't come round yet but that is nothing to worry about at this stage. We'll keep him here over night unless there are complications. Do you know how he got the bump on his head?"

"Yes, he tripped and hit his head on the coffee table, I think, earlier this evening."

"Well the coffee table must have had a fist because he has a bruise on his chin too"

"Thank you doctor" said Cody fuming that he had been lied to.

They must have had a row earlier, probably over Montoya and Frank had hit Jake.

"How is Frank?"

"It's a miracle but he is fine, no broken bones, just a few bruises and cuts. The wood over his back stopped him breathing properly which is why he was unconscious but he can leave as soon as the nurse is finished. Someone was looking after him tonight, he should be dead"

Cody went to sit with Jake. He hurried in after the doctor told him about Frank. A little while later, Frank came in.

"Jake…Cody what happened?"

"It's alright Frank, how do you feel?"

"Like I've been hit by a truck, how come he is in here"

"He went to your apartment for some reason and then against the firemens wishes went in and found you. Then he passed out in the car on the way here with you. He has concussion, what happened between you two. I know you hit him"

Frank told him the events of the evening, wincing a bit as his back still ached. Cody got him to sit down.

"It was my fault, stubborn as usual, trying to do it myself. Will he be ok?" he said pulling the chair closer to Jake.

Cody left and said he would see if anything had come up on Montoya. A little later Jake woke up.

"How do you feel Jake?" asked Frank.

"I'm ok, I shouldn't have helped search for you but I had to. Look I'm not staying here, take me home Frank"

"Tomorrow"

"No, now" replied Jake "Please"

Frank relented and making sure no-one was around, helped Jake out of the hospital and they got a taxi home. When they got in and shut the door, Jake pulled Frank into his arms and kissed him.

"Not much damage to that lovely face, still very kissable"

"The worst is my back and shoulders, bits of wood and glass other places"

"Let's go to bed and I'll look after them for you"

"And who's going to look after you"

"You are Frank, my old sunshine, who else"

"Hot bath first, I ache, I'll run it"

Jake helped Frank undress and he got into the bath. It was something Jake had put in the year before, a massive corner bath, and he enjoyed sharing it with Frank.

The man laid back and allowed Jake to sooth the aches and pains. Then he felt himself being pushed forward and Jake got in behind him, and carefully massaged his back. Frank moaned under his administrations.

"Like that babe" he asked.

"Mmmm nice Jake"

Jake tilted his head back and captured Frank in a searing kiss, next thing he knew, he was on top of Frank in the water. He didn't know how Frank did it but he wasn't complaining.

"I love you Jake"

"Not as much as I love you"

They kissed, rubbing their now, large erections against each other. Frank arched against Jake. Sliding down in the water, Jake kissed Frank, down to his throbbing erection and swirling his tongue around the tip and up from the base, he took it all in his mouth, resulting in Frank bucking against him wildly.

"Oh God Jake --- yes" moaned Frank.

With the other hand, Jake circled his finger against Franks secret opening, then thrust a finger in, sliding it against Franks prostrate, then two, three fingers went in.

"Jake…nooooo..I can't take it please"

But Jake had no intention of stopping, he was going to push Frank over the edge, into oblivion and by the looks of it, it wouldn't take much. This strong, dangerous man was completely out of control and at his mercy and Jake loved it.

But it was also pushing him over the edge, seeing what it was doing to Frank. As he took out his fingers, just to the edge and then plunged them back in, that did it, Frank screamed his name as he came, Jake swallowed every drop of Franks seed, it also pushed him over and he came too.

Then he moved up and took Frank in his arms and held him as he came down to earth, whispering things in his ear. It took a while for Frank to calm down and slow his breathing. Then he took Jake into a heart-stopping kiss.

"Jesus Christ Jake, much more of that and I won't need Montoya to kill me, you'll do it for him. That was out of this world"

"Wanted to show you how much I loved you, didn't I?"

"Well, sunshine, you certainly did that. Every time we have sex, it is wonderful"

"Let's go to bed sweetheart" said Jake helping him out of the bath, steadying him with his arm.

"Yeah, let's, I'm tired and very, very happy"

The doctor went into Jakes room about 2 hours after he had gone.

"Mr Shaw, I need to speak to…….oh great"

Going to the nurses station, he discovered that Jake had left with Frank.

"Nurse, make me an appointment with Mr Donovan, first thing in the morning"

"Yes doctor"

"Tell him it's urgent"

Dr Anderson arrived at the office for his 10am appointment with Donovan.

"Come in Dr Anderson, what can I do for you?" asked Cody.

"I need to speak to Mr Dovovan about Mr Shaw, I was going to have a word with him last night but he had left"

"Well my boss isn't here at the moment, can I help. Jake hates hospitals, they didn't think it would hurt, how can I help?"

"We took an x-ray last night, when we examined Mr Shaw. But I didn't get a chance to look at it till much later. Because of the head injuries he has received over the years, because of his job, he has a swelling at the base of his skull"

"My God" said Cody sitting down.

"I don't want to say too much but I need to see him"

"Jake can you come in here" said Cody through the intercom.

Donovan had had to go to meet with Bradley in Washington early that morning. From the time he got the phone call, till he got on the plane, it was only an hour. Jake said he would be okay at work.

"Well take it easy" said Frank "I should be back in a couple of days"

"I'm going to miss you" he said kissing him.

"I'll miss you but we can make up for that when I come back"

Going into Donovans office, Jake saw the doctor he had seen the night before. Now he was in for it.

"Sit down Jake, the doctor needs to speak to you"

"If it's about last night" started Jake.

"No it isn't Mr Shaw" replied Anderson.

He told Jake what he had to told Cody.

"Now we want to leave it for a few weeks, to see if it goes down on its own"

"And if it doesn't?" asked Jake.

"Then we will have to operate, it's a risky operation, which is why we don't want to do it yet"

"And what happens if it doesn't go down and I don't have the op?"

"Well, there is a risk with the op, that you could die. I'm not going to say different. It's complicated and risky. But if you don't have it, I'll give you less than 3 months"

"Not very good odds" said Jake.

"Hopefully it will go down on it's own. But I must warn you, another head injury could be fatal"

"Frank will put you on sick leave" said Cody.

"No way, I don't want Frank to know and I'm not sitting at home when I can be doing what I love"

"If he is careful, there is no reason for him to stop work. You will get headaches and blackouts if it gets worse. There's some medication to help. I want to see you in 2 weeks. It will take that long to see if it is going down or not. And try not to worry, I know it's hard but we'll get this sorted for you"

"Thank you doctor" said Donovan and shook his hand as he left.

Cody handed Jake a drink and put a hand on his shoulder.

"It'll be ok Jake, just do what he says"

"Don't tell Frank Cody please"

"He's your boss and….your lover…..you have to tell him"

"I will but not till I have to. If he knows, he'll pussyfoot around me and I don't want that, couldn't take it"

"You know Frank best Jake but be careful and please, do what the doctor says, I know you"

Jake went into the main office and Cody followed him.

"By the way, we found Montoya, we'll go in the bar tonight. As soon as we see him, we try and bring him in, ok"

"Great, give me the details"

He left and later that day arrived at the bar. He had dark glasses on and an old pair of jeans and t-shirt, which he hated wearing. He sat in the corner after going to the bar.

An hour later, Montoya came in. Jake glanced over to Cody and saw he was getting up and coming over to the bar. Damn, he was supposed to stay there. Cody sat at the end of the bar with a beer, watching Montoya. Jake started talking to Montoya, small talk at first then Montoya started blabbing about bombs etc.

"I'd love to be able to build a bomb, then I'd send one to my ex" said Jake.

"Oh they are easy" said Montoya and leaning closer "Did one last night, beautiful, even killed the man I was after. Great sense of achievement"

"You killed someone?" questioned Jake pretending to look shocked.

"Yeah, don't bother me, he was a bastard, met him years ago, a killer he was, made me kill my girlfriend…vowed I would get even and now I have"

By this time Montoya had had quite a few drinks and was swaying.

"Got one in the car outside, just needs to be primed and set, then whoosh. Want to see it?"

"I don't know" said Jake.

"Ah, come on, we're friends aren't we, if you like it, I'll make sure your ex gets it"

"Ok show me, oh by the way, what was the name of the guy you killed"

"Oh Donovan, always said I'd get him and now I have, come on"

Jake followed him, signalling to Cody to follow as well, outside Montoya opened the boot of his car, after a fashion, he was well pissed.

"There are, perfect"

Cody came up behind Montoya and tapped him on the shoulder, his gun in his other hand.

"Hello Montoya, we want to talk to you"

Montoya spun round and nearly fell in the boot. He wanted to run but found he was too drunk. Cody cuffed him and put him in the car.

"You alright?" he asked Jake "I thought you were going to kill him in the bar"

"I was but I won't bring myself to his level and I found I loved someone more" he said smiling at Jake.

Back at headquarters, Cody had the bomb squad bring the car in and Montoya was left to sleep, he was too drunk to interview and he wanted him in excellent shape when he started on him. Unbeknown to Montoya, Jake had taped everything he had said, so he would go down for a long time.

Frank came back two days later and was pleased that they had caught Montoya but when he went in to see him, he found that the person he had now become wouldn't let him kill Montoya as he had thought he always wanted to. He let the police deal with him

Back at Jakes flat, Frank laid back on the sofa, watching tv. Jake looked a bit pale he thought as he poured them a drink.

"You ok Jake, you look pale?"

"Yeah, just a bit of a headache, come on shift over"

He sat next to Frank and leant against him as he put his arm round him.

"You want to be careful Frank, I want to have my wicked way with you my love" he replied kissing him.

"You haven't gone off me then?"

"Never sunshine, I've never loved anyone like I love you. You and me, we're like one person, in every way"

"Oh Jake, you make me feel special, know that, never had anyone do that before"

"Come here, give us a kiss"

He loved this side of Frank and sometimes wished that others could see what a loving man he could be. He just wished the headache would go. He was worried but put it to the back of his mind as soon as Frank kissed him.

A week later, Jake was in the showers at the office, he had got covered in mud while on a job with Alex. Frank was in Detroit for 2 days, getting information about a drug dealer. He would be back the next day. Jake was talking to Cody, who was cleaning up too. Cody had finished and was dressing.

"This job is always getting us filthy" he said "Didn't have to do this today in the pouring rain"

"I know but you know what it's like" said Jake "Everything has to be done yesterday"

Jake came out of the shower and put his clothes on. Suddenly a wave of dizziness hit him and he had to grab onto the cupboard to steady himself. Cody grabbed him as he nearly passed out.

"Jake, here sit down, you alright?"

"Yeah, had too much to drink last night" he lied "Still a bit dizzy and I think I'm getting a cold"

Cody gave him a glass of water and slowly the dizziness passed.

"I'm ok now, thanks Cody but don't say anything to Frank"

"You sure it's not what the doctor told you about"

"No, haven't had any problems with that" replied Jake.

Cody didn't believe him, but said nothing, however his suspicions were confirmed more when a few days later……

"Alex" said Frank "Block the end of the lane with your car, I'll come with you, that way they can't get out"

He picked up the radio

"Cody, we're going to block the lane, about a mile east of you. Try and get them to go that way"

"Ok boss" replied Cody "Jake you hear that, come on. I'll go this way, you go over there"

They pressured the men to jump in their car and head off towards Frank and Alex. Donovan had back up at the end of the lane, so they had nowhere to run.

"Jake, we have them in the car, let's follow" said Cody into the radio.

Two minutes later and there was still no sign of Jake. Cody went round the back of the building and saw Jake laying on the grass. He ran over. As he got to him, Jake was starting to come round.

"Jake what happened, they hit you?"

"No, I just blacked out, I'll be alright honest"

"Jake this isn't the first time and don't tell me it's a hangover. You have to go and see that doctor, today"

"Leave it Cody, thanks for helping but just leave it ok"

On the way back to headquarters, Cody looked across at Jake, he looked ok but said he had a headache. Was that the reason he had passed out. Cody wasn't sure whether to mention it to Donovan, he liked Jake but if there was something wrong, on the other hand if it was a hangover, he didn't want Jake in trouble. He decided against it for the time being.

Jake was worried, the headaches and blackouts were getting more frequent but he was too scared to tell anyone, least of all Frank and certainly not the doctor. He just hoped he didn't blackout when Frank was around.

He hated hospitals, spent too much time in them but this time, he would have a choice and put his life at risk as well. Risky the doctor had said but without it he could die anyway.

What would Frank do, he couldn't do this to Frank. What other option did he have

Then suddenly, an idea, he'd go away, down to Maine. His friend had an empty cottage, he'd go there. Frank wouldn't have to worry then. By the time it was over, Frank would have got over it.

Yes, that is what he'd do, he'd leave that, Frank was out of town till the morning, by the time he got back, Jake would be long gone. He'd leave a note, just briefly saying goodbye to Frank. With that he packed a few things and got into the car and drove off. It would be best for everyone, he thought.

It was 11am by the time Frank got to the flat, the next day. Seeing it was empty, went into the kitchen to make a coffee, he saw the note on the table.


Dear Frank,
I'm sorry about this but I have had to go away. Nothing to do with you, I love you too much to stay and have you hurt. This way you'd get over me quicker. Don't look for me and don't worry. No matter what happens Remember I love you and always will and the last few months have been magic.
Love always Jake


Frank sat on the chair and wondered what had gone wrong and why Jake had left. He wiped his eyes, where tears had formed and taking the note, got into the car and drove back to the office.

"Back so soon?" asked Cody.

"I found this when I got home"

He gave Cody the note and the man sighed when he read it.

"Stupid idiot, what the hell is he thinking of"

"You know something about this?" asked Frank looking annoyed.

"Not where he is but I do know why, sit down Frank"

Cody told him everything the doctor had said and why.

"I thought he was going to tell you, he said he would and for me not to mention it"

"Sounds like Jake but why not get the operation done, without it he will die right"

"Yes Frank, I'm sorry but I know you'll want to find him. Where do you start?"

"I have no idea, I'll phone some of his friends and see what happens from there. God why did he do it" said Frank putting his head in his hands.

At that moment Alex came in and Cody told her that Jake was missing.

"Look, Jake swore me to secrecy but he had blacked out at least 3 times to my knowledge over the past fortnight, is he ill?"

"What did he tell you?" asked Donovan.

"He said it was too much drink but I did wonder"

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because he asked me not to, if it was drink doing it, I knew you'd sack him. I didn't want to be responsible for him losing his job"

"That's ok Alex, I admire your loyalty" replied Donovan.

By the end of the week, Frank had used every contact but had had no luck. Where was he, even phoned the old mission with some pretext but they had not heard from him.

"Have you any ideas?" asked Frank

"None we have exhausted every avenue" said Alex.

Frank hung his head, he was worried sick and he realized just how much he loved Jake and knew he couldn't live if Jake was gone. There was a knock on the door and Tommy came in. Tommy was a good agent and helped them out when needed but nutty as a fruit cake.

"Those men we've been after, they've been spotted in the docks. Do you want us to get them?"

"Yes but Tommy, no idiotic heroics please" said Donovan.

"Who, me Sir. Any luck with Jake?"

"No, we've tried everywhere" said Frank.

"What about Maine, have you tried there?"

Frank and Cody looked at him.

"Maine" they said together.

"Yeah he mentioned to me a couple of years ago, that an old friend had a cottage, remote part of Maine, about twenty miles south of Ellsworth, I think. He went there as a kid but the man never used it after he married. Might still have it"

"Tommy you're an angel" said Frank giving him a hug.

"Frank, get off, ain't Jake enough for you?"

"What do you mean?" asked Frank stepping back.

"Oh come on, I've known about you and Jake for months, he's fancied you since you came here"

"Have you told anyone?" asked Donovan.

"Don't be daft Sir, I'm gay, have been for years, not going to blab about you and Jake am I. Never shit on your own doorstep. I hope you find him, he loves you, you know"

"Thanks Tommy" said Donovan "Now haven't you got a job to do"

"Sir, on my way"

"Right, I'll try and find out where it is. He never mentioned it to me, mind you, he never has spoken much about his old friends"

While Frank was checking on the cottage, Cody phoned the doctor to find out what Frank should do and tell him what was going on.

"Frank has got to get him back to Chicago We are the only hospital qualified to do the operation. If he is having blackouts, then he has to have the op as soon as possible" said Anderson.

"How long has he got without it?" asked Cody.

"From what you have told me and you only know about some of the blackouts, I'd say 2 weeks, tops. Oh and if he is a long way away, you will have to drive him. Do not bring him back on a plane, the pressure could kill him"

"Thank you doctor, he'll be there"

Cody told Frank what Anderson had said. Frank had found out where the cottage was but it had been left empty for years, his friend didn't know what it was like now. Frank got his stuff and left for Maine. He hoped he wasn't to late.

Jake had arrived at the cottage ok but he felt terrible. The constant headache never seemed to go away, it eased with the tablets but was always there in the background.

He had almost blacked out twice on the way to Maine and he was scared. He'd been in so many life threatening situations before but this was different. The other were split-second decisions that could have taken his life or Franks. But this was something on going, he had to live with it, think about it and it scared him.

To have Frank with him would be his dearest wish but he couldn't do it to him. If only he'd admitted his feelings a year ago, or if Frank had admitted his. Even if they had never admitted it, that would be even better. But it was too late now, he knew the way he felt, that it would only be a matter of weeks, days at the most.

He had to write a letter for Frank and one to the others. Franks would be the hardest to write. Sitting in the living room, he looked at the picture of Frank he had brought with him and sobs shook him as he held it.

The next day he decided to go for a walk, walking in the fresh air, seemed to help the headache, it wasn't so bad. The cottage was situated right by the beach, a little remote cove that he used to fish in.

He decided to spend as much time as he could on the beach, it was full of happy memories and a few bad ones, but he loved it there. The best place in the world to die.

Frank had stopped half way to Maine, he was so tired and he knew if he didn't get some sleep, even for a couple of hours, he'd end up crashing the car. He booked into a small hotel and was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. He woke 9 hours later. God he must have been tired, he thought. Having a quick shower, he got his stuff and started for Maine again. But not before looking at the picture of Jake, he had in his wallet.

"Hang on sweetheart, we'll get you sorted out, don't you dare leave me now" he said aloud.

Jake had been at the cottage 7 days and apart from not feeling too good, was enjoying the peace and quiet. Walking along the beach, he was aiming for the rocks at the end of the cove, he'd sit there for a while and watch the tide come in. It was way out at the moment but he did this with his sister, time how long it took to reach the rocks.

It covered the rocks, just at high tide. He estimated it would about 7 hours, the tide had another hour before it turned. As he walked along, a sudden excruciating pain hit him, in the back of the head.

Blackness engulfed him as he collapsed on the beach.

About 6 hours later Frank arrived at the cottage. It was getting dark, cold and was raining a bit. He banged on the door, "Jake, it's Frank, let me in"

But there was no answer, so Frank went round the back and finding the back door unlocked, he went in. After looking round the cottage and finding Jake not there, he went to see if he could spot him. He knew Jake would be annoyed that he had found him but it couldn't be helped. Frank wasn't going to let him die, not after all this.

Frank walked down the path to the beach, he knew Jake loved the sea. If he was anywhere, he'd be on the beach. The tide was almost in and as he reached the sand, he looked to the left and then to the right.

In the distance, in the diming light, he spotted a shape laying on the sand.

Frank ran towards the figure, dreading what he was going to find. He splashed through the water that was lapping round Jake and knelt beside him, rolling him over. Feeling for a pulse, he found it was there but very weak.

"Jake, Jake, it's me Frank, can you hear me?"

Jake didn't move, he was deeply unconscious, wet and very cold.

Luckily he didn't weigh that much (Frank had always moaned at him that he never ate enough) so he picked him up in his arms and struggling, carried him back to the cottage.

Jake was a dead weight and Frank was out of breath by the time he reached the cottage. He went round the back and once inside, laid Jake on the bed. The first thing he would have to do was get him out of those wet clothes and get him warm.

If he had been an hour later or even 30 minutes later, Jake might have drowned with the tide. Stripping him off, he ran a hot bath and gently lowered Jake into it. He had to get him warm to start with, there was no way he could drive him back to Chicago as he was, regardless. The warmth of the water, very slowly brought Jake round.

He was disorientated at first but then saw a pair of very concerned brown eyes looking at him.

"Jake, thank God, take it easy, I've got you"

"What are you doing here and what am I doing in the bath?"

Frank told him where he had found him and that he had to get him warm before taking him back to Chicago.

"Last thing I remember was walking on the beach then this pain in my head, at the back and then waking up here. I'm not going back to Chicago"

"You have to Jake, the doctor said the operation…."

"The operation could kill me, so I'm not taking the risk"

"So you're going to take the easy option and die regardless of anyone. You are a selfish bastard sometimes"

"Me" said Jake as Frank helped him out of the bath.

He swayed slightly and Frank wrapped his arm round his waist to steady him.

"Come on, into bed for now, we'll talk about this"

"Nothing to talk about" said Jake holding his head as another pain hit him.

"Jake, you okay?"

"Yeah, this pain keeps coming back"

As Jake sat in the bed, drinking a coffee, Frank ran his fingers through his hair.

"Jake, listen to me, I love you and if I have to knock you out to get you back to that hospital, I will. I don't want you to die, I couldn't bear it, I couldn't live without you, I…."

Frank burst into tears and buried his head in the blankets of the bed. Jake didn't know what to say or do, he'd never seen Frank like this. Frank was the strong, hard and sometimes cold boss although he could be the passionate lover as well Jake had found out. But he had never openly cried, not like this.

Jake moved so he could cradle Frank in his arms, sobs shaking his body. Tears fell silently from Jakes eyes, seeing his only love in such pain, realising for the first time, just how selfish he was
being, he couldn't do this.

"Shh, it's alright babe, I'll do it, I'll have the op, I can't bear to see you like this, I never knew you loved me this much. Nobody has ever loved me like this"

He gently rocked Frank, although every movement hurt his head. Frank slowly stopped and looked at Jake. His eyes red and puffy, Jake kissed him and Frank saw that the eyes he loved were wet with tears too.

"You mean it, you'll come back to Chicago, now?" asked Frank wiping
his nose on the blanket with the lack of a tissue.

"Yeah, I'll come back. When do we leave, if I have to have this done,
I want to get it over with. Besides, I can't have my friends blankets
getting so wet" he tried to smile but even that hurt.

Frank sniffed and wiped his nose again.

"Ok we'll leave in the morning, it'll all be over in a few days and you will be well again"

"We hope" said Jake "look, get in here with me, I've got to lie down"

Frank quickly discarded his clothes and jumped in with Jake. They snuggled up together.

"Frank, I'm sorry, for leaving like that, I didn't know what else to do"

"Don't do it again, I never want to find a note like that when I come home. I didn't know what to think. Cody told me what was going on, why didn't you tell me?"

"The same reason as I left, I was scared, I am scared. I only thought of how I was feeling, not what it would do to you. You were right when you called me selfish, I am"

"Yeah but I can understand scared. I really do love you Jake, never have loved anyone like this. I don't want to lose you" said Frank snuggling closer as Jake put his arms around him.

"You'll never know how much I love you too"

Jake kissed his forehead and Frank lifted his head so he could kiss Jake properly. They made love slowly, for the first time, normally it was passionate and frenzied. But Frank didn't want to hurt Jake and it was Jake who wanted to, although his headache and the pain was killing him. They fell into a warm comfortable sleep.

The next morning, Frank helped Jake dress and got him into the back of the car. He thought it would be more comfortable for the drive back to Chicago. Jake's head was thumping but the tablets eased it a bit.

"I can't use the radio till we are on the outskirts, then I'll get Cody to let Anderson know we're on the way. You okay?"

"Yeah, just get there before I change my mind"

On the way, Jake leaned against the window and closed his eyes. The pain was getting bad and he fought to stay conscious .

"Jake we'll stop up the road so I can get some more petrol and a drink ok"

When Jake didn't answer, Frank looked at him, he was very pale and looked like he was asleep. Frank stopped the car so he could get Jake to lay down, he'd sleep better like that. Getting out of the car he went to make Jake comfortable.

"Come on, sunshine, lay down, then you can sleep till we get to Chicago"

As he took his arm, Jake slumped forward and Frank realized that he wasn't asleep but unconscious .

"Shit, Jake, Jake"

Getting no response, he laid him down, checked his pulse and covered him with a blanket. He had to get him to the hospital quick. He stopped and got the gas, then way on his way. It was going to take him all day to drive there and he was tired. As he got to the outskirts he used the radio. He had tried ringing Cody but he wasn't answering.

"Donovan to control"

"Come in Frank what's happening?"

"I've got Jake in the car, we're on our way but he is unconscious again, get Anderson to be ready for him. I should be there in about 45 minutes"

"Ok Frank, I'll meet you at the hospital and don't worry, he'll be fine"

"I hope so Cody, he doesn't look good at the moment"

It actually took Frank only about 30 minutes to get there. Getting out of the car, Frank opened the back door. Two nurses were waiting with a stretcher. Carefully Frank lifted Jake out and laid him on the stretcher. Holding his hand, he went with the nurses to a lift where Anderson was waiting.

"Sorry Frank, you can't come. He's going straight to surgery. As soon as there's any news I'll let you know"

Reluctantly Frank went and sat down, his head in his hands. A nurse saw how upset he was and took him to a private room where he could wait and brought him a coffee. He was staring out of the window, his face wet with silent tears when a hand on his shoulder made him jump. It was Alex.

"Sorry didn't hear you" he said looking back out of the window.

Alex saw the tears and put her arms round him.

"I'm sure he'll be alright Frank. He is in the best hands. Cody told me about you two. I think it's great. What happened?"

Frank told her all that went on in Maine.

"If I had been any longer, he could have drowned"

"But you got to him in time, remember that, do you know how long the op will take?"

"No I don't, the doctor didn't say"

"Well I do, he told me about 7 hours, so get on that couch and get some sleep. You're out on your feet, you'll be no good to Jake, being ill yourself"

"But I…."

"No buts, do as I say. Here have a drink of this and lay down. Any news and I'll wake you"

Frank sighed, took the drink and laid on the couch, he was asleep in minutes. Alex laid a blanket over him and went and sat down.

"God help him if anything happens to Jake, this will destroy him" said Cody coming in.

"He loves him that much"

"Yes, never thought it of our Frank but there is more to him than meets the eye"

It was 10pm when the doctor came in and Cody woke Frank up.

"How is he?"

"The operation was a success, it was a bone fragment lodged in a blood vessel causing the swelling. We removed it, drained the blood vessel, sewed it up and he is in recovery"

"Is he going to live?" asked Frank.

"Yes, he should make a complete recovery, he won't be able to work for about 3 months. If it had been anything other than that piece of bone, he might not have made it. We couldn't see the bone on the x-ray because of the swelling. We'll keep him here for a few days, but he should be able to go home in about 4 days, all being well"

Frank was relieved, he had another chance with Jake. He stood up to shake the doctors hand but suddenly swayed and the doctor grabbed him as he nearly blacked out.

"When was the last time you had anything to eat?" asked Anderson sitting him down and putting his head between his knees.

"Yesterday afternoon, I wanted to get Jake here"

"Right, you two, take him home, feed him and get him into bed, he has a bit of a temperature. Mr Shaw won't be awake till tomorrow and I don't want to see you here before then"

"I must be here when…."

"No, Jake is going to need you later, come on. Thank you doctor"

Frank tried to protest but he knew both of them were right. He didn't feel too good, work, Maine, Jake, not eating and a cold coming on, had finally caught up with him.

Cody got Frank into the car and took him to his home. Rustling up something quick to eat, he told Frank to have a shower and get to bed.

"Thanks, for everything, I was so worried about Jake, I didn't think about myself"

"So I see, go on, bed"

Frank sneezed as he got up. Cody laughed and patted Frank on the back as he went out of the door.

"You two will put me in an early grave, if it is not one of you, it's the other. Get out of here and keep your cold to yourself"

"Thanks"

Frank had to admit, he felt better now he had had something to eat but he still felt cold and shivery. He had a shower and got into bed. It was warm and comfortable and he was soon asleep, dreaming of his life with Jake.

Cody finished a couple of reports then he went to bed. It was nearly 2 am and as he went past the room where Frank was, he heard him coughing. He looked in but Frank was still asleep, he'd leave him.

By 10am, there was still no sign of Frank, so Cody took a cup of tea up to him and to tell him to get up. Setting the tea on the bedside cabinet, the man opened the curtains. He went over to wake Frank.

Looking at him, he saw beads of sweat on his forehead and he looked very pale. Sitting on the bed, Cody nudged him.

"Frank, wake up, it's late"

Frank opened his eyes and squinted in the light.

"God, I feel lousy" he said.

Cody put the back of his hand on Franks forehead, he had a high temperature. Frank started coughing badly.

"Take it easy, looks like you have flu, drink this and stay in bed, I'll get you some medicine"

"But I have to go and see Jake, he'll be awake now" said Frank sitting up. But a wave of dizziness hit him and he had to lay down again.

"You're not going anywhere boss, I'll go and see Jake, you stay here. You won't be allowed in with the flu anyway, infection"

Frank had to agree, he felt bad and tired.

"Cody, I have to use the bathroom but every time I sit up I feel dizzy"

"It's ok, give me your arm, I'll help you" he said.

The man helped him to the bathroom and then back into bed. He had to wrap his arm round Franks waist as he sagged against him on the way back.

"Take it easy, come on into bed. Get some sleep. I'll bring the medicine up and another tea before I go. Any message for Jake?"

Frank looked at Cody a bit embarrassed.

"Oh, come on, don't be shy, what do you want me to tell him?"

"Tell him I love him…please Cody"

"I will, I promise"

When Cody arrived at the hospital, Alex was already there and Dr Anderson took him to see Jake.

"How is he?"

"He's fine, sore of course but all the signs are good, he was asking for Frank"

"Frank is in bed with flu. Looks like that was what he was coming down with yesterday. He'll be here when he's better"

He went in to see Jake who was sort of sitting up.

"Hello Jake, how do you feel?" he asked

"Like someone has kicked me in the head but a lot better. I'm sorry I worried all of you"

"Don't mention it, Frank is in bed with flu, taking care and worrying about you, he didn't look after himself"

"Is he okay?"

"Typical, always thinking of someone else. Yes, he'll be fine by tomorrow or the next day. Bit of TLC is all he needs, you can get yours in here. We'll look after him for you"

"Thanks both of you"

"Oh and by the way, he gave me a message for you, told me to tell you he loves you"

"He told you that, bloody hell. He must be ill to admit that to someone else"

"Love does funny things, I just wish I had….doesn't matter" said Cody looking out of the window.

"Cody, could you get me a drink?"

"Sure" he replied pouring a glass of water and helping Jake drink it.

He still had drips and wires in till later that day, but he looked better, not so pale as he had done.

"Anyway I'm going, let you get some rest. Message for Frank?"

"Tell him the same and I hope he is feeling better"

"No leaving the hospital this time Jake"

"Right"

Jake closed his eyes and was asleep pretty quick, Cody and Alex smiled as they left. When they got back to Cody's place, Frank was still asleep. Alex made some soup and a hot drink and took them up to him. He stirred as she came in.

"Feeling better Frank?"

"A bit…oh Alex, how is Jake?"

"He is fine, sore but we had a long chat, he was worried about you. And he told me to tell you to get better soon and that he loved you"

"Thanks"

"Feel like a damn postman, on Valentines day, passing on love notes" she laughed.

She took Franks temperature, it was 101, down from earlier but still high. She helped Frank sit up and eat the soup and have a hot drink. She also gave him some medicine, which tasted horrible and made Frank cringe.

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?" asked Frank.

"Yes but my boss isn't there, I thought I would have a couple of days off unless it's an emergency"

"Taking advantage eh Alex. Anyway I thought it was just a cold"

"Don't worry, but of tlc and you'll be fine. When Jake gets out of hospital, you two are taking a holiday. I know Jake likes the sea so I took the liberty of getting Tommy and a couple of his friends to go down to Maine and get that cottage all ready for you. I had a word with Bradley and he agreed that you both need a holiday. Then you are going to look after him till he is better. I'll sort out a flat for you by the time you get back"

"Alex…what did you tell Bradley?" asked Frank looking worried.

"I didn't, the doctor did and he doesn't know about you and Jake so didn't have to lie to him."

"Have you told Jake?"

"No you can do it when you go and see him"

"Why did you do this Alex?"

"Because we are bloody fools Frank and because…..because we have got used to you" said Cody coming in.

"I need the bathroom but I think I can make it myself this time"

"I'll make us a hot drink with a drop of scotch in it, won't be a minute" said Alex.

She left followed by Cody who brought the tray with him. Frank sat on the edge of the bed and then made his way to the bathroom. He felt a bit better and decided (wrongly as it turned out) to have a shower. It would make him feel fresher. He heard Cody come back in and call out to him.

"Having a quick shower, won't be long"

Cody put the tray down and waited for Frank. He heard the water go off and after a few minutes, Frank still hadn't come out so he tapped on the door.

"Frank you okay in there?"

As he got no answer, he opened the door. Frank was laying on the floor, partly dressed. Cody got a cloth and laid it on his forehead and tried to bring him round in there. Slowly Frank came round and tried to sit up.

"Take it easy Frank, what happened?"

"Must have been the heat of the shower, I felt ok till I started to dress and then the room started spinning. Sorry should have left it"

"Come on, let's get you out of here, can you stand?"

"I think so"

He got up, unsteady on his feet and with Codys help, he got back into bed. His temperature was up again and Cody decided to call in the doctor. He went downstairs and picked up the phone.

"What's wrong Cody?" asked Alex.

"Frank just passed out in the shower and his temperature is up, I'm phoning the doctor"

Alex went up to sit with Frank till the doctor arrived. He was looking really pale and ill.

"It's flu Mr Dovovan, there is a bad strain going round at the moment, another 24 hours in bed and you should be fine. I'll give you an injection to bring down the temperature and no more showers"

"Sorry to drag you out doctor" said Cody.

"No problem Cody, he needed something to get that temperature down anyway, any problems call me"

Frank was tired and Alex made him comfortable and sat beside him. But Frank couldn't get to sleep, he felt dizzy sitting up and laying down.

"Look don't read anything into this please but I'll help you get to sleep. Lay on your side"

Frank was unsure of what Alex was going to do. As it turned out it was nothing drastic. She sat up the bed and leaning against the headboard, rubbed Franks temples in small circular motions. Frank moaned softly.

"That's nice Alex"

She carried on till he heard Franks breathing even out and he knew he was asleep. Tucking him in, she turned off the light and shut the door.

By the time 36 hours had passed, Frank was up and feeling better. He would go and see Jake and arrange to pick him up. Cody and Alex had taken it in turns to go in and see him every day and Jake knew Frank wasn't well.

"Hello sunshine, God you look better than when I last saw you, how ya feeling?"

"Feel better, headaches gone, tired but more to the point, how are you. The others said you had flu"

"Yeah, everything caught up with me. Had the doctor out, Cody did, he was really worried about me after I passed out in the bathroom"

"Sit down, angel, don't want you passing out in here"

"No, flus gone. They both make a great nurses but don't tell them I said so. Also Alex has got Tommy and his friends to go to Maine and get that cottage sorted out, you can leave straight from here tomorrow. And she'll have a flat sorted out by the time we come back"

"Bloody hell, I'm going there on my own"

"You're not, Bradley is taking over for a fortnight so I can have time off to look after you till you're completely better"

"Wow"

"But he doesn't know about us. The doctor genuinely said I needed rest too. God I love you Jake, glad we've got another chance together"

"Love you too, always and forever"

Frank leant over and kissed Jake gently on the lips. Jake responded and snaked his hand round the back of Franks neck and pulled him closer.

"Hang on, this will have to wait, what if someone comes in" said Frank.

"Damn you're right, wait till we are in Maine"

END