On the Outside

By Nancy

Fandom: Tour Of Duty

Pairing: M/f

Disclaimer: Myron Goldman and Johnny McKay belong to Zev Braun. Becky Kelly and
Beth Reardon are mine.

Five minute challenge – "On the Outside"

On the Outside

By Nancy


Johnny knew exactly what was bothering him; he had been left out yet again.

Okay, so it was just dinner at the officer's mess but still Myron didn't have to bite his head off when he had asked if he could join him. It wasn't as if he wasn't used to being alone. Well yeah, he had had any number of "buddies" growing up in Gary, Indiana; but never any close friends. Besides, this was different. He didn't just want to be around Myron because he was his roommate or these guys because they were Myron's men. They were so close knit and committed to each other's safety and well being and well, he'd never had that before; that kind of a bond with anyone.

He thought that maybe after they had come after him when he had been shot down that Myron would want to spend a little more time together, at least to kvetch about the girls and how things were going with him and Becky (not to mention any advice he might have on how to handle the temperamental brat (Beth) the he himself was dating). But things had gone back to normal and Johnny was still trying to get Myron to at least act friendlier towards him.

Johnny sighed as he walked to the officer's mess. Why was he trying so frapping hard to get in with a guy that didn't want anything to do with him and probably hated his guts besides? Probably because he's never met anyone like Myron Goldman before in his life. Myron lost his temper at the least provocation, yelled, sulked, brooded, got snide, sarcastic and bossy, worried about everybody around him and was the most caring person Johnny had ever met. Look at how he had talked to Johnny's mom on the day that he had been shot down and had reassured her. So why was the guy being so nice to him and hating his guts all at the same time?

Myron was sitting at his and Becky's usual table at the officer's mess waiting for her to show up. If anyone had pointed out the sentimental nature of their actions he would have hotly denied it. After all, there was nothing sentimental about meeting at the same table every time one went to meet their girlfriend; Becky would always know where to find him and not have to hunt all over the building, nothing sentimental about it all.

Right now though, Myron was thinking about Johnny McKay. His indescribably annoying roommate was so distracted by his own female troubles that for once he had been leaving Myron pretty much alone. Normally that would be a relief but for once Myron was actually finding himself missing the irritating jerk.

So why did John J. McKay get to him so badly? Because he was so ridiculously handsome and charming? Because that pointed out all of Myron's faults and insecurities to himself? Because no matter how hard he tried, Myron was never going to be able to go through life with that same ease and charm himself?

There was Becky coming toward him and smiling THAT smile. The smile that she only flashed his way. Suddenly it didn't matter how handsome and charming John J. McKay was. Becky wasn't ever going to be smiling at Johnny like that. Besides, didn't he put himself out time and again to make certain that Myron and his men got back safely from every mission no matter the risk to himself? So okay, maybe he could quit feeling so inadequate next to the guy and give him a chance for once.

"Hey, there's Johnny" Becky said, right before she was greeted by Beth Reardon, the girl that Johnny was tentatively trying start a relationship of his own with. She looked at Myron expectantly. He sighed and gave in to her unspoken request and signaled to McKay that he could join them at their table while Becky seated Beth.

Johnny almost couldn't believe what he was seeing. There was Myron signaling to him to join him and Becky. And there was Beth with them. He was part of a group for once and he enjoyed every minute of
the evening that followed. Even Myron looked like he was enjoying being part of a group of friends, with nothing more on their minds then have a good time. Together. For once he wasn't on the outside looking in and he was going to do what ever he had to keep it going as long as he could; even if he still went out of his way to annoy the heck out of Myron even more. (Hey a guy had to have SOME fun, didn't he?)

END