Father, Son And Lovers

Author: TexasAries2

Series: Christmas and Hanukkah Honeymoon

Companion Piece to: "Honeymoon Reunion"

Copyright: 28 November 2001

Pairing: Johnny, Myron and Zeke

Rating: PG-13 - Slash

Archive: YES.

Feedback: Please, but be kind.

Warnings: language, sexual male situations implied

Disclaimer: Tour of Duty and its characters are the property of Zev Braun Productions and New Line. These stories are for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended.

Notes: This is my second fan fic that I have every written so please be gentle. Also there are two people that I want to thank MajorBrat (Kristy) and SethraL for their encouragement and for their hard work in Beta Reading this fic for me. THANKS.

Summary: Holiday Challenge

 

 

Father, Son And Lovers

by TexasAries2

It was a beautiful, crisp Thursday morning and the sun had just finished painting the morning sky with soft pinks, blues and lavenders. The air was cool but lacked the biting cold that was prevalent during winter. The people outside the little University coffee shop hurried on to their destinations but you could tell they were enjoying the pleasant weather.

The atmosphere in the little coffee shop was charged with the excitement of finals and of the Christmas holidays. A young man sat quietly in the corner nursing his coffee, alternately thumbing through a magazine and watching the University crowd as they moved from table to table filled with holiday cheer. Many of the young women watching him noticed a haunting presence in his large, velvety eyes that told of a hell that no one should ever … see or know. A few men looked at the rumpled young man and knew what had made those eyes look the way they did; for is was a look that filled their own eyes also. His hooded and haunted dark gaze, full lips, and messy hair gave him a dangerous sensuality. It was as if he had arrived here straight from a session of passionate lovemaking. Both women and men alike ran their eyes over his golden-toned, lean-muscled body and watched the deadly grace of his hands as they moved to turn the pages of his magazine.

One girl had been watching the young man; one elegant lean hand cradling his coffee and the other his cigarette. She wondered what those hands would feel like on her skin. She started to get up when the man sitting next to her stopped her.

"Leave him alone, Donna." The lively debate over some obscure point abruptly ceased as the serious tone froze the conversation at the table. The others turned questioning looks at the couple trying to piece together what was taking place between them.

"Why? He's cute and alone, why not?" Asked Donna, trying to extract herself from the man's hand on her arm.

The man restraining Donna was one of the few who knew what had put that haunted look in the other man's eyes. He could tell that this type of conversation would not be welcomed. "Because he would more likely kill you than talk to you. On top of that, he's wearing a wedding ring so just sit back down and leave him alone."

The girl resumed her seat with a thump, looking at her friend, in shock, as well as, everyone else at the table.

"Steve do you know him?" asked one of the other girls at the table.

Steve looked over at the man in the corner and nodded his head, for a second Steve’s eyes lost focus as he was caught in painful memories of the past. When his friends saw the pain reflected in his eyes they knew what caused it, but then it faded to be replaced by a profound look of respect and hero worship that was reflected in Steve’s voice. "You don't forget the man who saved your life."

"What do you mean? How did he save your life?" asked one the other girls who was fairly new to the group and didn't know Steven's background.

"The LT" nodding towards the man in question, " and me were outflanking some VC when we were ambushed. I was shot in the leg and couldn't get away. The LT set-up a crossfire and dragged me to safety where the Sarge threw me over his shoulder and we got out of there. Once we got out, they stopped and patched me up and then took turns carrying me to the LZ."

"Baby killers!" snarled the girl who asked the question.

Steve leaned over the table and snarled right back at her. "I'm no baby killer and neither is the LT.! Matter of fact, him and his Sergeant almost ruined their careers bringing another platoon to justice who did just what you said." Steve leaned back and told her dismissively, "Get the hell away from me and stay away."

The girl realized that she had made a mistake. It was obvious from the looks she was getting from the people around her that she wasn't welcome anymore. She quietly picked up her things and left.

Donna grabbed Steve's arm and quietly told him, "Why don't you go over there and say hi? He's probably lonely and would like to see you again."

Steve glanced at Donna, nodded, and stood up. He straightened his clothes he took a deep breath before approaching the LT. The man in question noticed the movement towards him and tensed looking for any possible danger or threat, ready for battle he sat waiting.

Steve paused and taking a deep breath asked, "Excuse me sir, but are you LT. Goldman?"

Myron looked closely at the young man with the longish hair, trying to place him and suddenly it clicked. "Private Blackman, right?" He stood up and shook the young man's hand, indicating that he should take a seat. Myron caught the attention of the waitress, who was hovering near his table then locking gazes with Private Blackman Myron silently asked if he wanted anything. Receiving an affirmative nod Myron told the waitress to bring two coffees.

Smiling his thanks Steve sat down and told Myron, "Just Steve, sir."

Myron had to smile even after almost a year the young man still hadn’t broken the habit of adding ‘Sir’ when addressing a senior officer. "Myron."

"So Myron … when did you get back State side?" Steve was a little uncomfortable calling the man who had saved his life by his given name. It seemed disrespectful somehow but the pleasure it obviously gave the LT was worth a little discomfort.

"Yesterday," replied Myron with a wave of his cigarette indicating the crowd and surrounding atmosphere. "Still trying to get used to it; the crowds, the peace … that sort of things." The waitress had returned with their coffee. Myron glanced up at her with his half grin in thanks.

Steve gave a knowing smile for he understood where Myron was coming from. "You’ll get used to it, just take your time," paused Steve as he took a sip of his coffee. "Soooo …. What are you doing in New York, Sii … Myron?"

Myron gave Steve an encouraging smile. "I grew up around here and with my dad sick, this is where I need to be for awhile. What brings you hear?"

Steve took another sip of his coffee before speaking. "Well, you remember when Martin Luther King was assassinated how everyone was angry and wanted to do something." Looking up from this coffee he locked gazes with Myron looking for some sign that Myron remembered that time. Seeing what he was looking for Steve continued, "I thought the best way to help, is to change the laws. That way the law protects everyone and not just a select few. So I enrolled in Law at the university."

Myron was impressed here was a young man willing to fight to change laws that would protect others instead of sitting back and doing nothing. "Good for you Steve! Your parents must be really proud of you."

"Yes they are, since I am the first kid in our family to go on to University." Steve seemed to light up at how proud his family was of him. "Have you decided what you want to do?"

Myron extinguished his cigarette and looked up at the young man. Pausing to remember the shattered dream and now … maybe it was time to pick up that dream again. "I would love to teach, but where? I don't know."

"Well, you could try at the university. I think there are actually a couple of openings. You should check it out. " The two men sat and quietly talked about the war and life, just enjoying discussing things with someone who understood how difficult it truly was to go from the chaos of war straight to the quiet of peace. After exchanging addresses, Steve decided it was time to leave. "Well Myron." Indicating with a nod the table he came from. "I have to go back and study for my law finals tomorrow. I just wanted to come over and thank you for hauling my ass to safety. If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know. You have my numbers."

As Steve and Myron stood up and shook hands again, Myron spoke to him, "Thanks for the leads Steve and good luck on your exam. If you want to pay me back just be a good lawyer and help people that need it, OK?"

"OK, Sir, and Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you, too."

Myron sat back relaxed and thought what a pleasant surprise this chance meeting had been. He remembered the young man and the twelve bottles of Crown Royal whiskey he’d sent to him and Zeke for saving his life. Actually, he should send the kid a couple of bottles in return if it wasn’t for those bottles he wouldn’t have Zeke and Johnny in his life.

He got a warm, contented feeling that warmed him up from just thinking of his two lovers. Myron knew he was wearing a silly little grin, but didn't care. Twirling the wedding band around his finger he thought of last night and the passion as he and Zeke had made love to Johnny.

He didn't know what to expect, but the pleasure on Johnny's face told him that it was wonderful.

It always surprised him how gentle Zeke really was. Everyone saw a strong warrior who protected his men with the ferociousness of a mother lion protecting her cubs, but they never saw how gentle he was with he and Johnny. Never taking but always giving. For all the heartache and bullshit that they had been through in Nam he still had one of the biggest hearts that Myron had ever come across and it showed last night. The way he prepared and then took Johnny. No ... that wasn't right he didn't take he gave. It wasn't Johnny that was taken but Zeke. Zeke gave Johnny all the love, passion and desire he had for him, letting Johnny claim him heart, body and soul.

Checking his watch he realized that he’d called them forty minutes ago to meet him at Anna's coffee house on University Avenue and Campbell Road. Myron was having second thoughts about having Johnny and Zeke meet him here, but it was too late to change it now. He just hoped the instructions he gave them, would help Johnny and Zeke to get here OK.

Myron then turned his mind back to this morning when he’d woken in Johnny’s arms, enjoying the feel and warmth of his lover. Shifting his body so that he could look at both of his lovers, Myron was struck by how wonderful they looked. Zeke had Johnny’s head resting comfortably in the hollow of his shoulder, his lips nuzzling Johnny’s forehead. His arm was resting securely around Johnny’s chest, holding his lover close and Johnny had his hand resting on Zeke’s forearm preventing him from moving it.

Knowing that he could not get back to sleep with all the heavy decisions that he had to make today, Myron had decided to get up and leave his lovers’ to sleep in peace. After about a half hour, Myron had started to feel restless and figuring a long walk would help calm his nerves he’d quietly gotten dressed, before writing a quick note to tell Johnny and Zeke that he had gone for a walk and would be back shortly. Pausing at the door he’d turned and taken down the phone number just in case. Then quietly exited the apartment.

Myron became lost in his thought and plans for the day and … for the night. Wondering what it would be like to have Zeke or Johnny make love to him or maybe ...

Myron didn't notice the two worried men who had just walked in. Johnny and Zeke were concerned that last night had been a little too much for Myron and he’d changed his mind. When Myron told them he wanted to meet them here they feared that their relationship was over, but from the sensual smile that lit Myron's face when he looked up and spotted them, it was the furthest thing from the truth.

The two men's entrance didn't go unnoticed by the women in the room. So when Johnny and Zeke started across to Myron's table one girl stood up directly in Johnny's path, brushing her body against his. He smiled at her obvious attempt at picking him up and told her that he was already taken, gently shifting her aside as he continued onto Myron's table.

As Johnny and Zeke started towards him Myron’s welcoming smiled started to fade as he witnessed the girl's attempt at picking Johnny up, his expression becoming colder still when Zeke suddenly turned around in shock to look at another young woman who had obviously done something that had Zeke backing away from her covering his left ass cheek. Dammit!!! They were his!!! How dare they!

Zeke and Johnny, seeing the flame of anger and possessiveness in Myron's eyes, hurried to take the seats Myron had saved for them and effectively hemmed him in, each giving the other a pleased grin at Myron's jealousy. "Calm down boy, it don't mean nothing."

"Hey Myron, they mean nothing only we count." Johnny reassured with a gesture that encompassed just the three of them. Seeking to shift their companion's attention Johnny altered his position so that his back was to the room and nobody could see what he was about to do. He gently lifted Myron's hand taking his index finger and slowly seductively started to suck just the tip. Myron was still glaring at the girls when it registered what Johnny was doing. At first the pressure was light, his tongue caressing the fingertip as Myron turned shocked eyes back to his lover. Then Johnny started to gradually increase the pressure, watching Myron's pupils dilate with desire and his breath become raged and labored. Once he had Myron at this stage he slowly lessened the pressure and the finally extracted the digit from his mouth. He then kissed it and replaced back at his side.

"Oh!" was the only sound that came out of Myron's mouth as the reality of what Johnny had just done hit home.

Damn, Zeke thought he watched Johnny calm Myron down and wished he had known about this trick back in Nam. It would have saved him some augments with a very pig-headed and stubborn LT.

"Now Myron, why did you have us come all the way down here, while we could be doing something much more enjoyable and comfortable in front of the fire." Johnny asked in a husky voice.

Myron still in a daze replied, "I wanted to show you New York and take you Christmas Shopping."

Grinning at his two lovers Zeke stated, "Well boys daylight is wasting, let's go!"

*

The rest of the day was spent going from Madison Square to the Rockefeller Center. Taking in the bright and loud sights and smells of New York, seeing New York as only a true New Yorker knew how. They walked down the brightly lit Broadway Avenue to New York Central Park, relaxing in the wintry peace and quite to found there.

Sitting on a park bench in Central Park, Myron told them about the conversation he’d had that morning with his father’s nurse. How it seemed his dad was doing a little better and was looking forward to seeing him again. Johnny and Zeke each took a slim graceful hand in one of their own and listened quietly as Myron spoke about his dad’s illness, his hopes and fears of what would happen now that he was home. Both Johnny and Zeke knew that Myron had to face this but not alone, they would be there every step of the way supporting and loving him.

The conversation then turned to the future and what they wanted to do together. Zeke talked about going to college and becoming a nurse or maybe joining the police force, figuring since the army already trained him for it he might just as well use it. He also talked about how he used to dream about a big family, but since neither Johnny nor Myron could have kids, Katy would be his only one. Seeing the devastation in both of his young lovers eyes Zeke quickly reassured them, saying that he’d made his choice and he was happy with it. Myron and Johnny both confessed that they had also wanted large families, Johnny because of his own large family and Myron because he was an only child. Suddenly an idea occurred to Myron and looking hesitantly at his lovers he told them about the abandoned children of American father’s in Nam. They could adopt those children, give the kids a chance at a good life and give them the family they all wanted. It wouldn’t be the same as having their own, but unless they were going to give up the other two this was the only way. Both men liked the idea and Zeke being an orphan was all for it.

Johnny told them about how the airlines were hiring ex-army pilots and how good the pay was. He could do short hauls and be back every night to spend it with this family. The best thing was that they could live anywhere in the country that they wanted too. Then his eyes lost a little of their excitement, concerned Myron and Zeke asked what was wrong. Taking a shaky breath Johnny told them he feared his family would reject him and never want to seem him again. The pain in his voice reached his two lovers and Myron embraced him while Zeke rubbed his back in a soothing gesture. Both murmuring soft words of we’re your family now and we will never leave you over and over again.

Once Johnny had calmed down, talk turned to what Myron wanted to do. He told them about running into Private Blackman and of the possible job opening at the University. Zeke and Johnny told him to go and check it out and that New York was just as good a place as any to start their lives together.

The three men continued on with seeing the city and doing a little shopping when Myron checked his watch and saw it was 2:20. "Shit! I forgot."

"What?" asked Zeke puzzled at Myron’s outburst.

"My mother’s attorney called my dad last night looking for me. He wants to see me at three o’clock to go over something. Would you like to come or do you want to go back to the apartment?" The hopeful look in Myron’s eyes convinced Johnny and Zeke to accept his silent request.

At 2:50 they walked into the Hammons and Wilson law office in downtown Manhattan. Johnny and Zeke noticed the rich decor and felt uneasy, both knew Myron must have come from money but this was the first indication that it was true. The secretary told them to have a seat and Mr. Wilson would be out shortly. Both Zeke and Johnny fidgeted with their uneasiness as the well dressed men and women moved about their jobs while Myron relaxed by lighting a cigarette which Zeke promptly took away from him.

"Zeke!" exclaimed a startled Myron as he watched Zeke snuff out his cigarette.

Zeke turned a disapproving stare on Myron and replied sternly, "I told you no more smoking. It’s bad for you and I promise I will break you of the habit boy." Zeke then held out his hand for the pack of cigarettes still in Myron’s possession. When Myron wasn’t fast enough handing them over Zeke reached out and took them, throwing them into the Receptionist’s wastebasket. Giving Zeke the dirtiest look he could manage Myron sat back and pouted while Zeke just gave Myron his "Ah shucks" grin, totally unfazed by Myron’s attitude. Johnny just hid the smile that was trying to break through, enjoying the silent war of wills.

Ten minutes later Myron noticed Wilson walking towards him and stood up, followed by Zeke and Johnny. Mr. Wilson grinned at the young man that he hadn’t seen in almost ten years. "Good to see you Myron" as Wilson shook Myron’s hand he noticed the two men who seemed to be with Myron. Turning to face them he shook their hands as Myron introduced them.

"Gentlemen please have a seat. Laurie please …"

"They’re coming with me, I have no secrets from them," Myron interrupted in his best officer voice.

Realizing that arguing would not help the situation, Mr. Wilson lead the men into his office, indicating they should have a seat as he closed the door behind them. Myron and Johnny took the two chairs in front of the desk while Zeke preferred to stand. Walking around the desk the lawyer sat down, opened a folder and looked at some of the papers.

Looking up Wilson made eye contact with Myron and asked, "Do you know about the trust fund that your mother and her parents set up for you?"

Puzzled Myron replied, "I know my mother set up some type of trust for me coming due around my twenty-seventh birthday, but I didn’t know my grandparents did as well."

Sitting back and giving Myron a thoughtful look, Wilson could tell that this young man wasn’t like the rest of the rich children of high society. There was a hardness, an independence that spoke of a strong backbone, maybe this young man would use his inheritance wisely instead of just blowing it away. Taking a deep breath and locking gazes with Myron he continued, "Well, the trust fund that your mother had set up for you totals around five million dollars. Since you are the only living relative on your mother’s side you have also inherited your grandparents entire estate worth about forty-five million dollars. Congratulations young man." The stunned looks from the three men in the room told him this wasn’t the type of news they thought they were going to get. Zeke couldn’t trust his legs anymore so he sat down on the couch in shock. Johnny couldn’t believe his ears and simply sat with his mouth hanging open looking at the lawyer. Myron just sat there and blinked at him before starting in a stunned voice, "You’ve got to be kidding … I never knew…"

"Maybe this letter will help explain things." So saying Wilson handed over an envelope and left the three men alone.

Myron took the letter and stared at the writing on the envelope. It seemed familiar. GOD! It was his mother’s handwriting. With shaky hands he opened the letter, fearful and yet happy beyond belief at this gift from his mother. He didn’t realize that he had said anything out loud until he felt his lovers hands on his knees. Looking up into two pairs of worried eyes he tried to smile that he was fine but instead tears started to fall. Zeke gently stood him up taking Myron’s seat he pulled his young lover into his lap. Wrapping his arms around the crying man and rocking him while Johnny murmured words of comfort.

As Myron sat resting in Zeke’s arms and holding Johnny’s hand, he started to read from the very first letter:

 

My dearest boy,

I hope that you have forgiven me for what I am about to do tomorrow, but this was the only way. Myron I found out that I am dying of a brain tumor that it has been slowly eating away at my brain and life since you were about two years old. It might also help to explain, but really doesn’t excuse my behavior.

The first year of married life with your father was one of my most cherished memories, for he wasn’t like you remember him. He was loving, gentle and devoted to me. To him the sun rose and set in my eyes and I loved him just as much. Then it changed because of my stupidity.

He had to go to Europe for a month on some type of exchange and wanted me to go with him, but I told him I would like to spend the summer with my parents instead. He understood and knew it would have been boring for me and told me to go. If I could change one thing in my life it would have been this, but I can’t and I have to live with my mistake.

So I spent the summer in New York, attending luncheons and parties where I met Michael Tanner. He was handsome, charming and seductive he was everything a girl could dream of and we started a love affair. When Martin returned from Europe he came and spent a week with us and I realized what a fool I had been. For it was not love but lust I felt towards Michael and I almost ruined something that was far more precious. The only problem was Martin’s parents had seen Michael and I together and told Martin.

Myron, the look in your father’s eyes when he found out, it was like I had killed him. Ripping his heart and soul right out of him and he became the man you know. When you were born nine months later I could see joy and happiness coming back into his eyes just being around you. He could care less if you were his son or not. Do you remember Myron? How he used to play with you and take you places? How proud he was of you?

Myron paused to search his memories of that time. Johnny and Zeke watched as Myron’s eyes lit with happiness as the memories returned of this wonderful time.

Your father never forgave me and really I didn’t blame him. He never slept in my bed again nor took to the bed of any other woman. Even though I hurt him we became friends after a fashion, making sure that you were happy and we kept up appearances for the brass.

Then things started to change for Martin he seemed happier and the look he used to have for me was back but it wasn’t for me but someone else. It isn’t my place to tell who he fell in love with and, as far as I know, he is still in love with. I didn’t take it very well I am afraid, for I threatened to reveal everything and destroy everyone involved and made sure he would never see you again unless he followed my demands.

My first two demands were that he couldn’t talk or touch you without me being present. The third was that he couldn’t take you anywhere without me; the fourth one was that at no time was he to go into your bedroom. The last demand was that he would never introduce his lover to you. He pleaded with me but I wouldn’t hear it. I wanted him to suffer and suffer he did, but I didn’t mean for you to suffer as well. I know that you remember the night this happened for I found you huddling in the corner when I went to check on you. You were only eight years old and didn’t understand why we were fighting only that I threatened to take you away.

I’m sorry Myron for all those years I ripped away from you and your father and how I twisted him until he became the man you despised. If it isn’t too late son, go to him and try to repair the damage that I caused in my anger, jealousy and sickness.

Good-bye my beloved son and I hope someday you may forgive me for what I have done.

Love your Mother

Elizabeth Goldman

Myron could only sit in shock and stare at the letter in his hand, stunned at having everything he believed in ripped apart. Zeke and Johnny could tell that Myron was in deep shock and they had to get him away from here and back to the apartment, where they could tuck him into bed and let him sleep.

Wilson opened his office door figuring he’d given Myron enough time to read the letter and make some decisions. What he saw made him quickly shut the door again, for Myron was sitting on Mr. Anderson’s lap and being kissed by Mr. McKay. He closed his eyes for he knew what he had seen was three men in love and devoted to one another. Having his own similar secret he decided that he would help these three men and protect them from the scorn they would face. He decided to talk to his partner, who was more than just a business partner.

*

Zeke carefully closed the master bedroom door so as not to wake Myron who needed his rest. Making his way to the living room he sat down and sighed. The day had certainly turned out to be one for the books, not only was his young lover a multimillionaire but the General didn’t turn out to be a bad guy after all. It was his mother who had a big hand in twisting Myron up in so many knots.

Dammit! The poor kid doesn’t even know if the General is his dad or this Michael Tanner guy. Zeke placed his feet up on the fireplace hearth and became lost in though as he stared at the flames, trying to figure out what to do now.

Johnny quietly leaned against the kitchen doorframe watching Zeke as he became lost in his thoughts. He then decided that a drink was in order and filled two tumblers with four fingers of the finest Irish whiskey he could find. He handed one to Zeke and then sat down in Zeke’s lap. This was becoming a habit, using Zeke as a seat, but one he didn’t think he wanted to break.

"How’s he doing?" whispered Johnny as he snuggled up against his lover and tucked his head under Zeke’s chin.

"He’s still sleeping. Myron’s taking this really hard, he worshipped and protected his mother and now he finds out that really it was his dad that needed help." Zeke replied as he took a sip of the whisky and nuzzled Johnny’s forehead.

"I guess that I owe Myron’s dad an apology. Damn that woman she really screwed up Myron’s life then she left him to repair the damage and knowing Myron he will give it his all. What happens if he has to choose between us and his father?" his anger and fear was reflected in Johnny’s voice.

"Then I would choose the both of you," replied a very sleepy voice from the doorway.

Embracing his two lovers as they met halfway across the room Myron gathered all their strength and love to himself to help deal with the situation. They settled in the nest with Johnny and Zeke resting their heads in Myron’s lap. Both men lay silent, knowing that Myron needed them just to listen to him.

Myron just sat trying to put together his thoughts as he softly petted both Zeke and Johnny, gaining comfort just from touching them. Then in a soft voice told them, "I knew my grandparents had money on both sides of the family, but I didn't realize how rich they were until now. I guess we don't need to worry about money, but I know that you both wouldn't want to live off of me. Maybe we could start a resort that has skiing during the winter, fall hunting, and spring and summer fishing. Johnny could fly people in and out and Zeke you could be their guide and I could still teach maybe in a town near by and still help you two run the business. I don't really care where we go or what we do, so long as you both are with me nothing else matters."

It was quiet in the room, the only sounds that could be heard was the crackling of the fire and the soft breathing of the men. Then in a confused voice Myron continued, "I was so wrong about dad I don't know if I can make it up to him. GOD! He's dying ... all those years wasted."

Johnny got up, held his hand out to Myron and told him, "Nothing like the present." When Myron hesitated he bent down and grabbed Myron's hand. "Come on."

*

Twenty minutes later they stood outside Myron's brownstone childhood home. It was a quiet night with the snow falling softly and turning the houses into picture perfect Christmas cards. The lights twinkled under the snow and the street lamps provided a soft magical glow to the evening darkness. Some of the windows had Christmas trees displayed in all their finery while others had Menorahs lit.

Myron took a deep breath and started up the stairs followed by Zeke and Johnny. Johnny rung the bell and the three men stood in tense silence until the door opened. A handsome man who looked vaguely familiar to Myron stood with a military bearing, blinking at the three men standing in the doorway. He was in his late fifties, stood about 6'2 or 6'3 and his well-muscled body didn't show an ounce of fat. A smile of welcome suddenly graced his face and with twinkling green eyes dragged Myron in. " Myron, Martin has been so looking forward to seeing you again. I don't know if you remember me, I was your father's assistant Major Burdett."

Myron searched his memory and a picture of a smiling younger version of this man handing him a toy airplane came. Looking up he smiled at the Major and said, "You gave me a toy plane when I visited my father one time."

"Yes!" There was so much warmth and kindness rolling off this man that it put the three nervous men at ease. He turned to Zeke and Johnny shaking their hands and welcoming them as he took each man's coat to hang up.

"Come, Martin's in the living room go and make yourselves comfortable. I’ve just got to check the roast, your staying for dinner and no arguments I still out-rank the lot of you." The major then proceeded to shoo them into the house while he went to the kitchen. Johnny chuckled quietly at the Major's motherly manner, which reminded him so much of his own mother. It just made it seem like she was right there with him. Zeke also found the motherly attitude funny, it was the first time he had been on the receiving end of it instead of giving it. Myron just simply stared as the Major walked away and shot Zeke a dirty look. "Your bad enough on your own so don't go getting any pointers from the Major."

Zeke's only answer was to put on his //** Oh Shucks **// country hick grin that just drove Myron up the wall. Snorting in disgust Myron lead them into the living room.

The room was warm with the soft glow of the fire reflecting off the dark wooden surfaces of the furniture and floor and the walls were a rosy color. The leather couches and chairs were expensive but comfortable looking and the rugs scattered on the floor were thick and helped to give the room its warm welcoming feeling.

Martin Goldman was sitting in front of the fire, thinner than the last time they had seen him, but he seemed more at ease with life. Martin started to turn towards the doorway as he asked, "Who was it Dav..." and fading as he saw his son standing there. Martin seemed to start to glow and tears welled up in his blue eyes. He simply whispered "Myron", and before either man could blink Myron was across the room and kneeling he embraced his father, both men crying softly and just holding onto one another. Smiling and knowing father and son needed time alone to start mending fences Johnny and Zeke went to help the Major.

*

David Burdett studied the two friends that had arrived with Myron. The way they quietly checked on the father and son was very much like his manner. Then there was the way they interacted with each other the soft long looks, the gentle touches that would go unnoticed in public but here they stood out, so much so that a new light suddenly dawned on their behavior. Could it be, if it was then all the worrying Martin and he had done may have been for nothing? Could that explain their nervousness? How to ask is the next question, should he be direct or hint at it? Hmmmm ... the direct approach would probably work best.

Grabbing the whisky from the cupboard and three glasses he sat down at the kitchen table with the two men, pouring a good amount of the golden liquor into each glass and handed it to them.

The two men knew something was up by the way the Major had been watching them the last hour and the sudden gleam in his eye told them the jig was up.

David took a sip of the whiskey to gather his strength, watching till the other men were about to take a sip and said, "Soooo ... how long have you and Myron been lovers?"

The reaction was what he expected, they expelled the liquid and a look of total shock and fear crossed the two men's faces. That was a good sign, they hadn't gotten up to take a shot at him yet. Well now to wipe that fear from their faces. "You don't have anything to worry about. Martin and I totally understand for we've been together for almost twenty years."

David reached over and took the glasses out of the two shocked men's hands before they slipped through their grasps. "Breath, boys, breath. I don't want to explain to your lover why you both passed out."

 

*

Once the dinner was on the table David, Zeke and Johnny went to get their lovers for dinner. Both father and son had talked for over an hour and the difference was noticeable. Myron sat as close to his father as he could to hold his hand. The love and joy that was in Myron's eyes was mirrored in his father's and though there was still a lot of work to do both men knew they had made a start in repairing their relationship.

David walked towards the two men and told them, "Come on you two it's time for dinner." He then gently pulled Martin to his feet, but before Myron could help David kissed Martin fully on the mouth. Myron stood swaying with the shock of what he’d just witnessed, when he felt the comforting arms of Zeke and Johnny slip around him.

"David ... What?" stuttered a shocked Martin Goldman as he looked at his lover. Then he swung frightened eyes to his son who was being thoroughly kissed by his Sergeant and another young man.

Myron’s stunned gaze took in his two lovers when Zeke released him from the heated kiss. "What the hel...". Johnny simply placed his hand on Myron's mouth preventing him from continuing.

"The major figured it out and we didn't want you to fret over something that wasn't an issue. You both have a lot of things to work out and a lot of years to make up." Johnny told him, then his most mischievous grin broke over his face. "Besides, it's not every day that you bring your husbands home to meet the parents."

*

It was decided that night that Myron and his husbands would move in with David and Martin, which would allow father and son to spend their remaining time together. Myron handed the letter his mother had written over to David and Martin to read. David slid a comforting arm around his lover offering his strength and support.

Martin looked up from the letter and told Myron, "I didn't know about the tumor ... of course I wasn't around much so I didn't notice." His eyes reflected his pain and frustration as the memories of that time surfaced. His voice reflected that mixture as he continued, "I couldn't do anything ... I could only stand by and watch as she turned you against me. I COULDN'T STOP IT! I saw the hatred growing in your eyes and I ... and I ran ..." at this point Martin broke down and was taken in his lover's arms to be comforted. Myron got up and knelt by his father, beseeching with his eyes to take his father's crying form into his arms. David locked gazes with his stepson and smiled, he then gently pulled back to stand so that Myron could take his place. Myron simply took his father in his arms and murmured soft words to sooth him.

Martin slowly stopped crying and captured his son's face in his hands, his red-rimed eyes lovingly scanned Myron's face and eyes, and his hand gently brushed Myron's bangs off his forehead. Capturing Myron's gaze he continued in a voice so raw with sorrow that it made the hearts of those present weep. "Myron ... my beautiful boy ... I wanted to tell you ... so many times ... I wanted to take you and run away, ... but I knew ... I just knew she would follow through on her threats. David ... David, would have lost custody of his children and we’d have ended up in Leavenworth for years and I would still lose you. When she died ... I thought and hoped that we could repair our relationship, but she did too good of a job. Then when I found out I was dying I had to try again. Now your here and I have a chance ... I'm so proud of you. If there are only two things you remember, know that they are, that I loved you and have always ... ALWAYS been proud of you."

… TBC A Mother's Heart