Empty, Empty Nights

By Nancy

Fandom: Tour Of Duty

Pairing: M/f

Rating PG

Myron Goldman, Johnny McKay and all the Tour of Duty characters belongs to Zev Braun; Rebecca Kelly and the other female characters are mine.

Five minute challenge – "Empty, Empty Nights"

Empty, Empty Nights

By Nancy

Myron couldn't stand the silence. Crickets he could handle. Dogs barking, soldiers laughing and arguing, hell even McKay's snoring he could handle just fine. It was the silence that was threatening to drive him nuts.

Being back home in the states didn't seem to be helping either. Here at Fort Sam Houston the nights were almost eerily silent. He did like the area very much, and the base it's self was large and comfortable. Maybe it was just that he hadn't yet gotten used to the absence of mortar attacks at two in the morning or not having the little nickel alarm clock on his bed stand (that he had brought with him from Tan Sahn Nu) waking him up at 04:00 for an early morning mission or any number of little unnoticeable-until-they-aren't-there sounds that was keeping him up all night. Or it could simply be that he was trying to quit smoking and drinking at the same time and he didn't have the whisky and cigarettes that would normally help him go to sleep. And it was getting old real fast.

Myron sighed and turned away from the window in his bed room overlooking the back yard of his small two bedroom one bath house. He knew he didn't need all that space just for himself but the idea of living in the BOQ was distasteful at best and he liked the idea of having a real home instead of the constant round of dorm and barracks rooms that he had lived in since he was 14 years old.

Maybe some warm milk would help. He went down to the kitchen and put some milk in a pan and the pan on the stove to heat up. He was digging around in the cabinet next to the sink for a mug when there was a knock on the kitchen door. Myron had to stop himself from looking around for his rifle; this was San Antonio for pity's sake
not Nam.

It was Becky. He didn't say anything as he let her in and she didn't need him to. She was more then capable of reading the pleasure and need in his deep brown eyes.

Two hours later he thankfully remembered that he had thought to turn the stove off before they went upstairs. And as he heard her contented sigh as she drifted off to sleep in his arms (just as he was) he also realized that he had discovered the cure for insomnia.


Nancy
nancyscalf@yahoo.com