Title: Consequences

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: not mine and never will be.

Rating: PG-13 to R, Slash

Pairing: Virgil/Richie, M/M

Summary: Richie gets hurt, Virgil blows up, things are discovered and hell comes to Dakota.


Consequences
by Kate R.


1: Injury

"What are you doing?" Virgil asked. He was angry about her interfering and she was not realizing she hadn't been invited because she didn't know what she was doing. They argued and then Static suddenly realized something.

"Gear!" he yelled suddenly turning away from Shebang and looking at where Gear had been. There was a statue now lying on the ground and Virgil
started running.

"Oh, God, Richie!" he yelled as he used his powers to shift the statue. There, lying partially under it was Gear.

Static used his powers to lift the statue up and then slide Gear out from under it. He felt his stomach turning to ice as he saw the blood. So much blood. And Richie was so pale. And he wasn't waking up. Virgil felt like he couldn't breath until he realized Richie was breathing. But he looked
so....fragile lying there. And Virgil knew he had to get him back to the Lair and hope the stimulator worked. That not working and he knew he'd have to call someone else. And he almost felt pity for both himself and Shebang until he looked at Richie. If they hadn't been fighting one of them would have noticed. If....if...

That wouldn't solve anything. He lifted Richie carefully with his powers and flew them back to the Lair knowing Shebang was following. She was too much of a busy body not to.

"You better hope Richie's stimulator heals him," Static growled.

'Because if it doesn't, you are going to be in so much trouble if I have to call Batman to help."

When they got back to the gas station, Virgil laid Richie on a table and took his helmet off. Backpack was seemingly watching and if Virgil didn't know better he'd say the computer was worried.

"Here's hoping it works for things like this," Static said as he turned a machine on. It was evident after only ten minutes that Richie's stimulator was not working fast enough.

"Damn," Virgil muttered as he walked out side. He took a deep breath, gathered his powers and then hurled it straight up and formed a symbol out of it. Hopefully Batman would see it and come. Hopefully.

He went back in and sat by the table he'd laid Richie on and waited. All he could do was pray someone came soon.

"Virgil?" Batman's voice asked about an hour later. Virgil looked up in shock when he saw Batman standing in the doorway. Batman walked into the gas station and looked around. When he caught sight of gear, he looked at Virgil again.

"What happened?" Batman asked as he walked over to the bed.

"He was hurt in a fight tonight. Shebang and I were arguing about something and I didn't see the statue falling. I was trying to find the bad guy because when she hit me I lost track of them. I felt Gear...I knew he was hurt and then realized I couldn't see him. He was under the statue."

"And you called me because?"

"The stimulator he made isn't working," Virgil said. "He'll die if I can't find a way to make him better."

"Get him immobilized again," Batman said as he walked around the hideout and gathered a few things he thought he understood. Once Gear was ready for Transport, Static stared as Green Lantern appeared.

"Ready kid?" he asked. Static nodded and watched as Shebang was grabbed as well and they were enveloped in a bubble of power from Green Lantern's ring. They were soon flying up an out, heading, Virgil realized, for the Watchtower.

"We have things here that can help," Batman was saying as they landed. Wonder Woman was waiting with a gurney and as soon as Gear was placed on it, she and green lantern took off to the medical bay. Virgil followed as well s Batman and Shebang and they watched as when they got there, Richie's costume was being removed slowly and carefully. He looked terrible. His body was bruised and Virgil suddenly realized that wasn't all from the statue.

"Where did those come from?" he asked as he saw scars.

"We don't know," Green Lantern said. Backpack kept trying to get near Richie.

"Move this thing," GL growled.

"No," Batman said, as he understood. "Let it get closer. I want to test a theory."

Green Lantern backed off and watched as Backpack hopped up on to the bed near Richie and one of its tentacles seemed to brush the boy's face. Virgil swallowed.

"Is Backpack...hugging him?" Virgil asked.

"Looks that way," Batman said. "I didn't know gear had made Artificial intelligence."

"I don't think he does either," Virgil said. "But Backpack seems to know what happened to give Richie those scars.

"We have a problem," the Martian Manhunter said.

Batman and Static looked up at him. They saw Shebang was staring in awe at the place.

"What is it?" Batman asked.

"Neither of his parents have his blood type," J'onn said. "And because of the mutagen gas, it has to be a relative that gives to you."

"But that means something, doesn't it?" Virgil asked.

Batman nodded. "We need to talk to his mother, Virgil. Is there any way you can get her?"

"One of you could go. His father hates Static."

"I will go," J'onn said. "I can find the information we need from her mind if she wont tell us verbally. We need to know who his father is if we are to have any chance of saving him. He needs blood."

Batman nodded and the two of them left. This left Virgil and Shebang looking at green lantern an Hawk Girl while Superman and the Flash and Wonder woman continued to monitor Gear's condition.

"What happened?" Green Lantern asked. "Why wasn't someone paying attention to whatever caused that?"


2: The Name of the Father

"Well?" green lantern asked as he looked at them. Static swallowed. This was worse than Batman. This was someone who was a lot harder in some ways.

"We were fighting," he said. "The Meta Breed, we were fighting them, Gear and me. Shebang here, well, she thought she was saving me from Hotstreak because I had my back to him and she knocked me down. I...I lost track of everyone when my position was shifted like that."

"I was saving you!" Shebang snarled. "You didn't see..."

"Do you know that?" Hawk Girl asked her. "Do you know he didn't know there was someone behind him? We never assume things like that. Superman and Batman have their backs turned sometimes but we never assume that doesn't mean they don't know there is someone or something behind them. Normally if Batman turns his back it means he's pegged where everyone is."

"But, I didn't know that," Shebang whined. "No one told me! And Gear should have known better than to stop under that statue. It shows he isn't a real hero."

"I'm sorry," Wonder Woman said. "What did you just say?"

"Gear," she began. "He's not a real hero. He doesn't have any physical powers and he can't fight all that well. And...and he doesn't have cards or..."

"Oh, I am so glad Bruce did not hear you say you gave out cards," a voice said from the doorway. "Are you crazy girl? Heroes do not give out cards and they don't do publicity. It's not our way."

"And who are you?" Shebang demanded.

"I'm Nightwing," he said. "And like Batman and Gear? I do not have powers. At least not physical ones like Superman's or Green Lantern's. My powers are in my head and my ability to think on my feet. What is your attitude about? One would almost think you were jealous of Gear...oh, my God, you are. You're jealous of him. Why? Is it because even without powers he's a better hero than you will ever be? God, you are jealous of him. I think there might be another reason by the expression on your face but I'm not going there now. Batman sent me. He said to tell you that he and the Martian Manhunter are on their way to get the man who can help Richie. Lucky for us, even though he's British, he lives in the states."

Green lantern nodded and looked at Shebang coldly. "You aren't ever going to be one of us, little girl," he snarled. "Not until you realize this is not a damn game. You do not assume anything when you're watching an experienced team. You wait for them to ask you for help. Go sit down in that corner and wait until we know what to do with you."

He walked away then, and Static followed him, going back to the med lab where gear was now listed as comatose. Hawk Girl watched her before she, too, went up to the med bay. She had judged this one once, and she regretted it. He was a hero and he was as brave as Batman, as any of them, to do what he did. And she would not allow the kind of carelessness that had caused this to go unpunished.

"I hope they get here soon," the Flash said.

"I want to know his father's name," Static replied.

"The name of the father," a British accented voice spoke from the doorway to the room.

Static turned and saw a man with Richie's blue/Green eyes and the light of intelligence and glasses standing in the doorway. With him were four people. Two teenaged looking, one who looked maybe 26 and the other was about the man's age. The man directed the group to sit down and then he approached the bed. He looked at Static before he finished his sentence as if telling him specifically.

"Is Rupert Anthony Giles."

END PART 2