TITLE: Gentle Shackles of Love

SERIES: Hearts and Souls

AUTHOR: Scorpio

ARCHIVE: Constellation, The Den, CKoS and WWOMB. Anyone else just let me know where first please.

FANDOM: StarWars (pre TPM)

PAIRING: Qui-Gon/Mace, Obi-Wan/Bruck

RATING: NC-17

CATEGORY: AU, Drama, Romance, First Times, h/c

WARNING: Obi-Wan and Bruck are both 15 at the start of this fic and Obi-Wan is 16 by the end of it. This means that there is underage sex in this fic, but it is *not* an underage teen with an adult male. It's two boys together. Also, I have Bruck as bi-gendered. Yes, for those of you that wonder, that's a hermaphrodite.

NOTES: This came about as a result of reading several answers to The Emu's Bonding Challenge inwhich Obi-Wan must form a soulbond with someone in an emergency situation thus preventing him from soulbonding with Qui-Gon like they had planned. I was fascinated with this concept as well as the many ways different authors had used this plot. Then I twisted it a bit so that there is no Q/O at all in this, not even implied. At least, not beyond the normal Master/Apprentice relationship.

NOTES2: Qui-Gon and Mace have an established relationship in this story. They are a "Heartbonded" couple. Obi-Wan is Qui-Gon's Padawan and Bruck is Mace's Padawan. Due to their Masters' relationship, the boys are forced to not only share the same quarters, but the same bedroom.

NOTES3: Xanatos never turned in this universe. I figure that having Qui-Gon heartbonded to Mace and sharing quarters with him while he trained, his then Padawan, Depa Billaba would be enough of a change to prevent that tragedy from happening.

NOTES4: I used the term "cycle" to describe a time period of about 30 days. Think of it as the Coruscant version of a month.

DEDICATION: This is for Sentinel Cat. She is the one who archives all of my work at Scorpio's Constellation of Fanfic. She does incredible amazing work and she doesn't get paid nor does she get a lot of credit. Plus she has to put up with me, the poor dear. She deserves to spend the day with Qui-Gon rubbing her shoulders, Mace rubbing her feet as Bruck and Obi-Wan run about nekkid while cleaning her house. ::grins:: Unfortunately, this story will have to do instead.

DISCLAIMER: George Lucas is God of the StarWars Universe. He created and owns everything Jedi. This story is not intended to infringe on Mr. Lucas' copyrights or legal ownership issues. This is a work of love, not profit.

/..../ will represent "bond-speak" while *....* is emphasis.

SUMMARY: A training accident is the catalyst to major changes in the lives of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Bruck Chun.


Gentle Shackles of Love
by Scorpio


*Prologue*

It was a stupid mistake. Careless, even. It was something that should never have happened, something that even the youngest Initiate knew better than to allow to happen. And it was all his fault. He knew it. Bruck knew it. Master Windu knew it. Worst of all, his own Master knew it as well.

Whenever both he and his Master were in Temple at the same time as Master Windu and Bruck, they always tried to spend as much time together as possible. Even to the point of training he and Bruck together. Both he and his old nemesis swallowed their pride and never complained about being forced together. Not only were they used to it by now, but they both realized how painful it was for their Masters to be separated from each other for such long periods of time. That's how they came to be in the West training gymnasium practicing acrobatics and tumbling together.

Everything started out fine. Being smaller and lighter than Bruck, this was an area in which he normally performed better than the other Padawan. On the other hand, Bruck excelled during their strength and endurance training. Intellectually, they both knew that they each had their own strengths and limits, that neither of them were any better or worse than the other, but years of aggressive competitiveness and hurt feelings still managed to draw them both into needless conflict with each other. It happened again today as well, only this time, someone got hurt.

He missed his landing after being wobbly and off balance on his last ariel flip. Laying sprawled out across the mats while gasping for breath and trying to orient himself, Obi-Wan was prepared for his Master's lecture to tell him exactly where he went wrong. He wasn't, however, prepared for Bruck's quiet snickering at his mishap.

Almost as if a switch had been flipped inside his head, Obi-Wan stopped listening to Qui-Gon's calm lecture on control, Force manipulation and focusing on the moment. Instead, he felt a wash of anger and the keen pain of a bruised pride. This was something that *he* was supposed to be good at. *He* was the one that was supposed to stand on the sidelines and snicker at Bruck's fumbling. Not the other way around. Angry with himself and angry with Bruck, Obi-Wan pushed himself up off the ground and stomped over to the far side of the mats. At Qui-Gon's signal he began again.

That was his biggest mistake.

He should have asked for a few moments to meditate so that he could release his anger and frustration into the Force. He should have blocked out Bruck's amusement at his fumbled attempt and focused on his Master's lecture. Most of all, he should *never* have done anything that required him to draw on the Force when he was angry. He knew better than that. All his teachers and Masters over the years had lectured that. GrandMaster Yoda, his mentor from when he was an Initiate, had often lectured him about manipulating the Force through anger, fear and hatred. And Master Qui-Gon had told him repeatedly to be mindful of the present, that his focus determined his reality. Yet, in his pride and anger, he ignored all that and drew on the Force with darkness in his heart.

The Dark Side isn't more powerful, but it is easier. Quicker. It doesn't flow through a Force Sensitive the way the Light Side does. Instead, it hits like a hammer blow.

Halfway through his last ariel flip, in the same spot he had fumbled before, Obi-Wan gritted his teeth and growled low in his throat as he drew on the power of the Force in anger and frustrated pride. Instead of the soft warm swirl of light that he was used to, a sizzling cold jolt of darkness slammed into him. Startled and a bit frightened, Obi-Wan lost his small control over the Force that he had summoned and went flying through the air like a human missile. He crashed into something warm and solid before both he and it tumbled to the ground in a tangle of limbs. A sharp responding *crack* and a high pitched howl of pain let Obi-Wan know that it was Bruck he had collided with and that, somehow, Bruck had been injured.

Before he could collect himself enough to pull his body up off of Bruck, his Master and Master Windu were there. Still confused as to what had happened and more than a little frightened, both over Bruck's injury and the stab of chilling darkness that had pierced his heart, Obi-Wan only had vague impressions of large warm hands pulling them apart and deep soft voices speaking over his head. He vaguely received the impression that Master Windu was carrying Bruck to the Healers Center in the East Tower even as his Master lead him out of the training gymnasium and toward the Meditation Gardens.

*

Bruck laid back on the bed, his broken left leg held tightly in the brace that the droids had placed on it to hold the newly set bones firmly in place. His white teeth were clamped down and his jaw twitched as he waited for the pain patch to kick in over the hot stabbing ache of having his bones set. His Master's large hand held his gently, warm pulses of calming Force washing over him from their training bond to travel over his entire body.

"Breathe deeply, Padawan. Pull the Force into your lungs so that it might bring you energy and peace. With each breath that you exhale, push out your pain and your hurt. Relax your muscles and let the Force flow through you."

For some reason, it always seemed to help Bruck to have a visual focus when he needed to call on the Force when he was distressed. Pulling in a deep breath, Bruck turned his head slightly and looked down at where his hand joined Master Windu's. Slowly, he twined their fingers together and focused on the vision of dark cocoa colored skin pressed against his own milky caf colored skin. For some odd reason, his brain chose to interpret those soft warm colors as being reminiscent of the chocolate and caramel treats that they had shared on their last mission. Bruck grinned slightly and exhaled, his pain beginning to recede.

"Good, Padawan. Keep breathing deeply, let the Force flow throw you. Excellent."

"Yes, Master."

Bruck's small grin grew a bit wider as even more pain washed away to leave nothing but a dull ache. The warm calming pulses from his Master soothed his nerves even more and made him wonder about what would happen next.

"Master?"

Mace shifted slightly on his chair so that he could reach out and smooth Bruck's silvery Padawan braid where it hung behind his ear to his shoulder.

"Yes, Bruck?"

"Where are all the healers? I mean, my leg was scanned by a medi-droid, set by a different medi-droid and then rescanned by the first medi-driod. I thought that there were Jedi Healers here at the Temple."

Mace smiled and patted Bruck on the shoulder even as another pulse of soothing Force energy washed over him.

"Yes. You are correct. I asked about that myself while the medi-droid was scanning your fracture the second time. It seems that there was a terrible and unfortunate accident earlier this morning involving several public transports and some personal shuttles a few clicks away. Because of the severity and multitude of the injuries, the local Med Center requested immediate assistance from the Temple. There are several Senior Padawan Healers and all of the Junior Padawan Healers working under the direction of one Knight Healer here. All of the other Knight Healers and Master Healers have gone to assist the local Med Center Emergency and Trauma Healers."

A slight frown pulled at Bruck's grin and created a crease between his pale eyebrows as he considered this.

"Oh. That's too bad. I wish there was something that I could do to help, as well."

Mace smiled gently at him and squeezed his shoulder in support.

"You have a good heart, Padawan. Perhaps after a few days when your leg is feeling more sturdy, you can go down to the local Med Center and cheer up any of the accident victims who are well enough to receive visitors."

Bruck's frown melted away again and he grinned up at his Master.

"That would be great. If there were any little kids on the transport, I could read them a story like I do for the younglings in the creche."

Unlike Obi-Wan, Bruck enjoyed being around young children. He found them soothing and energizing at the same time. Obi-Wan just found them frustrating and confusing. On the other hand, Obi-Wan seemed to make friends in his own peer group very easily while Bruck struggled just to be tolerated by their yearmates.

Master Windu opened his mouth to speak when the treatment room door opened and a tall female Twi'lek wearing the pale blue tunics and bright blue robes of a Senior Padawan Healer walked in. Her two head-tails, or lekku, were wrapped around each other and draped across the front of her chest and over her right shoulder. She bowed slightly to Master Windu before proceeding over to the other side of the bed Bruck lay upon.

"Forgive me for the prolonged wait. Due to unfortunate circumstances, we are a bit understaffed at the moment and Padawan Chun's injury could not be seen to by a Junior Padawan Healer."

Master Windu inclined his head in acknowledgment and gestured towards Bruck's braced leg.

"We understand the situation, Padawan..."

Master Windu's deep voice trailed off on a questioning note. The Twi'lek grinned at him shyly.

"Cersii. Padawan Healer Cersii."

Then, without any preamble, she closed her eyes and reached out with both of her hands so that they stopped about two inches from Bruck's leg, palms down. Bruck could feel the swirling tendrils of Force that emanated from her delicate fingers wrap around and through his leg in soft gentle tingles. Slowly, the swirls of Force dissipated and Cersii opened her eyes once more.

"It seems as if the medi-droids did a good job of setting the fractured bone. The scans came back perfectly fine, but it's always best to check with the Force *before* you Speed Heal a fracture than to have to re-break it due to an error."

Bruck felt his eyebrow go up to his hairline in confusion, but he didn't complain since his Master merely nodded his head in agreement. At that point, Cersii closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Bruck could feel her center herself and open up to the Force. Once again, his leg was washed with waves of Force energy, but it felt different this time. Instead of a vague probe for information, the energy was sent to heal. The tingling started up again, but instead of gentle swirls that vaguely tickled, Bruck felt it as a deep soothing heat that pulsed and throbbed along his bone with a great itch at the very center of it. Pain fled from the overwhelming rush of Cersii's healing and relief rushed through Bruck like cool water on a hot day. Gradually, the pulses of Force slowed and gentled, then began to dissipate.

A soft smile on her face, Senior Padawan Healer Cersii came up out of her healing trance and opened her eyes. Bruck was beaming at her, the first pangs of a romantic crush fluttering in his chest.

"That was amazing. Thank you."

Cersii smiled back at him.

"You are very welcome, Padawan Chun."

Bruck blushed slightly under his caramel skin.

"Please, call me Bruck."

Cersii's smile grew lopsided into a friendly grin and she nodded.

"Okay, Bruck. Normally, a broken bone such as yours would take roughly a cycle and a half to heal. I've managed to Speed Heal it a bit, so it should only take half a cycle before your leg is as good as new. However, that doesn't mean that it can be abused. You need to stay off of it as much as possible for that time period. No strenuous activities at all. I also recommend that you use a Level Two Healing Trance for the next two nights. After that, use a Level One Healing Trance for the next four nights. Then I want to see you again to reevaluate your progress. Okay?"

Bruck frowned again in confused concentration and his eyes slid off of Cersii and over to his Master's calm face.

"Um. I've used healing trances before. Master taught me how when I pulled a muscle in my shoulder. Is that what you mean?"

Master Windu's hand on his shoulder squeezed once even as he gave a slight nod of his head.

"Yes, Padawan. That healing trance I taught you when you injured your shoulder was the Level One Healing Trance that Padawan Healer Cersii mentioned. You learned that very well and I have no doubt that you will do just as well when I teach you the Level Two Healing Trance for your leg tonight."

*

Obi-Wan struggled with his meditations even though Qui-Gon knelt down right in front of him also in meditation. He could feel the waves of calm soothing Force wash over him from all of the plants and birds as well as from his Master work to relax the tight knot of muscles in his neck and back. He could also feel his Master's steady serenity and peace flow into him through their training bond. Obi-Wan knew that if he centered himself and sank down into his own serenity that he would even be able to vaguely sense Master Windu through his heartbond with Qui-Gon, but he couldn't reach that level of calm.

Instead, Obi-Wan felt besieged by his own turbulent emotions. The anger and frustration that he had felt during the training session which had prompted his brief connection to the Dark Side was gone, washed away in an icy sea of fear and buried under a mass of guilt. He knew that in order to be free of these dark emotions that he needed to examine each one. To know it, understand it's source, acknowledge it and then release it into the Force. It was a difficult and painful process, however, it was the only way to find his center and his serenity once more.

His anger was something that he had been working on controlling and taming for a while now, but this incident only served to highlight how important it was that he succeed. Different things could trigger his anger for many different reasons, he knew that. Bruck, unfortunately, seemed to know all of the right buttons to push to set him off. Of course, the same was true in reverse. It wasn't just because they spent so much time in each other's presence, although that had a lot to do with it. The fact that they were so much alike in so many ways was also a factor. They were both highly athletic, reasonably charming and intelligent and they were both highly competitive.

They each used the other as the standard by which they judged themselves and that made it difficult to get along. Obi-Wan didn't compare himself with Bant. She was a lot smarter then him. He knew this and accepted it just as easily as she accepted that he was a far better athlete and probably always would be. Garen and he shared a great love of flying and all things mechanical, but instead of competing to see who was best at it, they naturally worked together on projects that neither could complete alone.

It was different with Bruck, though. He wanted to show Bruck that he was good, usually better and Bruck was the same way. They had an unspoken one-upmanship going on between them that hadn't changed since they were young Initiates just out of the creche. Who could run the fastest, swim the most laps, get the best grades, master the toughest katas. It never ended because there was always another challenge that they faced together. Maybe it wouldn't be this way if they could somehow figure out how to support each other instead of trying to beat each other? If one of them just broke down and said, 'You did great. Congratulations.' and actually meant it?

Obi-Wan wasn't sure. All he *did* know was that when Bruck laughed at his fall he became angry. Both at Bruck and at himself. He *could* do that tumbling routine and had performed it several times before. He knew that and so did Bruck. Messing it up like that had been humiliating enough without being taunted for it. So he got angry.

For a second, Obi-Wan was tempted to just lay the blame on Bruck with the justification that he wouldn't have been angry if Bruck hadn't snickered at him. That wasn't fair though. Obi-Wan had *known* that he was angry and he drew on the Force anyway. *That's* where his big mistake had been, not the messed up tumbling routine. Drawing on the Force in anger leads to the Dark Side. It didn't matter that he used it to leap through the air and not to attack. It was *still* a manipulation of the Dark Side of the Force.

And that was the source of his fear.

He had touch the Dark. It hadn't been intentional and he never wanted to feel that cold hard feeling of oily darkness again. The very idea made him feel nauseous and trembly. However, it *had* happened. An accident brought on because he had been careless. Reckless. In his pride and arrogance, he had discounted the teachings of his Master and acted without caution while filled with anger. Now he was afraid that it might happen again. Not on purpose, but in the heat of the moment when his vigilance was down.

It was a legitimate fear, especially for one who had suffered from bouts of anger, frustration and jealousy in the past. The horrible irony of the situation, though, was that until Obi-Wan could banish and control this fear, he couldn't draw on the Force. To do so would be to invite the Dark Side in once again. And so he knelt in meditation, struggling to let his fear go. To let it drift off into the Force away from him. It wasn't easy because he wanted to bury his emotions deep inside and hide them away.

Finally, after an hour or so, his Master drifted up out of his own meditation and then gently guided him back into full awareness. They were still in the brightly colored Meditation Gardens. The sun had moved a bit further across the sky filled with numerous shuttles and aircraft. A light breeze was perfumed with the scent of over a hundred blooms and song birds sang overhead. They were also not alone.

Turning his head, Obi-Wan looked away from his Master to see that Qui-Gon's first Padawan, now a Knight in his own right, was seated calmly on a carved stone bench, a serene smile on his handsome pale face. Slightly confused, Obi-Wan felt a gentle hand tug on his Padawan braid and he turned back to face his Master.

"Obi-Wan. I want you to talk with Xanatos about what happened today in the training gymnasium. This isn't a punishment. I think you'll find that he can help you sort through everything that happened and get it put into a proper perspective."

Obi-Wan looked into his Master's deep blue eyes and saw compassion and affection shining out at him. He was hit with a strong sense of relief at not seeing censor or disappointment on Qui-Gon's face. His Master was the most important person in the entire Universe to him and the idea of working through this crisis without his support was a horrifying idea.

"Yes, Master. Um..."

One of Qui-Gon's eyebrows arched up.

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

"Would it be all right if you and me asked GrandMaster Yoda if he would like to have a shared meditation tonight?"

Qui-Gon nodded his head slowly, a look of minor confusion flashing quickly across his face before being replaced by his normal calm and serene expression of peace.

"Of course, Padawan. I will comm him and ask if he is available for shared meditation, however...he will want to know why."

Obi-Wan nodded quickly and then felt a flush rush up to his cheeks. He looked down at his knees for a long moment trying to gather his thoughts and then looked back up at his Master, his green eyes haunted.

"Well, I know that GrandMaster Yoda was your Master when you were a Padawan and he was also my Mentor when I was an Initiate...back before you took me as your Padawan. I still have a training bond with him..."

Obi-Wan trailed off uncertainly at that last statement. He didn't want to hurt his Master's feelings by admitting that he had another training bond with someone, even though it was a Mentor/Initiate bond instead of the Master/Apprentice bond, which was deeper. However, Qui-Gon just chuckled softly and reached out to pat him on the knee.

"Yes, I know. I also still have a training bond with Master Yoda. Just because I am a Jedi Master in my own right doesn't mean that I have outgrown my own Master. Mentor/Initiate bonds and Master/Apprentice bonds last until they are deliberately broken or until one of the members passes into the Force. And the only reason that bonds are ever broken on purpose is if a Jedi leaves the Order or turns."

"Oh."

For some reason, that made Obi-Wan feel a lot better. To know that both he and his Master were connected to GrandMaster Yoda as well as each other was a great comfort. He saw himself as be cushioned between them, protected on two sides. Then, taking a deep breath, Obi-Wan explained *why* he wanted to share meditation with them.

"It's odd Master, but... I still feel cold. Or the memory of cold. From before...in the training gym. And both you and GrandMaster Yoda feel warm, in my mind I mean. I just want to feel that warmth to, I don't know, drive away the memory of being cold, I guess."

Qui-Gon nodded his head even as he reached up and ran the backs of his fingers in a gentle caress down the side of Obi-Wan's cheek. He leaned into the soft touch even as a faint ghost of a smile flickered across his lips.

"Of course, Obi-Wan. I'll go and speak to him now about setting up a time for us to share meditation. You stay here and talk with Xanatos. I think you'll find that he will have other ideas on how you can work through this as well."

Nodding his head even though he wasn't sure how Qui-Gon's former Padawan could help, he agreed nonetheless.

"Yes, Master."

*

Bruck limped alongside of his Master, leaning heavily on the metal cane that Cersii had given him to help support his weight for the next week. At first, he didn't want to use it because it felt awkward in his hand, but it did make walking any distance a lot easier since his leg still tended to ache badly when he put his weight on it. After a little practice, however, it was much easier to use and thus Bruck was able to concentrate on the subject that was foremost on his mind.

"She was amazing, wasn't she Master?"

Mace Windu flashed him a slightly amused and tolerant look.

"Cersii was the very model of a talented and well trained Senior Padawan Healer. She did her Master proud."

Bruck nodded in enthusiastic agreement.

"I agree. Do you think it would be okay if I told her Master about what a wonderful job she did on fixing my leg? I mean, I don't want to get her in any trouble, but I think that her Master should know how good she is."

Mace bit back a chuckle although he couldn't help but smile.

"I am sure that Cersii's Master is aware of how talented her Padawan is, however, it wouldn't get her in trouble to make such a high opinion of her skills known to her Master. It is, after all, a complement on the Master's teaching skills as well."

Bruck nodded again, although this time a little more thoughtfully.

"I didn't think of it that way, but you're right. Her Master did a wonderful job training Cersii. I think that I will tell her Master how helpful she was. Maybe I'll even ask if Cersii would like to go visit the injured children down at the local Med Center. Do you think that she'd enjoy that?"

Mace nodded.

"Of course, Padawan. If you go, just be mindful that both you and Cersii do not neglect your studies and duties. And if Cersii is unable to accompany you, you are still free to go with another or even by yourself."

"Thank you, Master."

Bruck hobbled along silently for a long moment lost in thought before another blinding smile broke out over his handsome face.

"It's just that, well, Cersii is so noble. I mean, dedicating your life to healing those who are sick or hurt. That takes a good heart and lots of intelligence. She's nice too, and maybe if she agrees to go with me to the Med Center to visit the injured children we could end up being friends. And...well, Cersii is so beautiful too."

Mace had to work even harder to stifle his chuckles that time. He also somehow managed to refrain from pointing out to his Padawan that he was gushing over a girl who was much to old for him. Bruck was still a Junior Padawan while Cersii was a Senior Padawan who was most likely due to take her trials soon. Still, Mace could easily see why Bruck would be fascinated by the Twi'lek Apprentice Healer. The girl resonated strongly with the Light Side of the Force and her gentle demeanor was just the thing that drew out his own Padawan's gentle side, much like the young children in the creche did.

Suddenly, Bruck seemed to pull out of his daydreams about his first romantic crush and looked around at their surroundings. A flicker of confusion washed over his face before he turned to look up at his Master.

"Master? Where are we going? I thought that we were heading back to our quarters."

Master Windu nodded his head even as he glanced down at his Padawan and gestured further along the hallway.

"We will be. However, Qui-Gon has asked us to stop by the Meditation Gardens and escort Obi-Wan home with us. He had an errand to run and he doesn't want Obi-Wan to be alone yet. Right now, he's being watched over by Knight Xanatos."

Bruck frowned in what felt like disapproval. He didn't know why Obi-Wan needed special attention, after all, *he* wasn't the one who had his leg fractured. And yet, there he was getting his hand held by Master Jinn's former Padawan and they were going out of their way, and him doing so on a broken leg, to go collect him as if he were a young Initiate.

"Padawan."

Master Windu's voice carried a warning in it. Instantly, Bruck blushed and tried to push away his feelings of resentment.

"I'm sorry, Master. It's just... "

Bruck sighed, not sure how to explain. Master Windu's one eyebrow rose up in question and he silently gestured for Bruck to continue. Taking a deep breath, Bruck tried to put words to something that confused him intellectually, but that he felt with his instincts, nonetheless.

"I guess I would just rather focus on Cersii right now. I know that Obi didn't *mean* to hurt my leg. In my head, I know it was an accident, but... I don't know how to explain it, but when he messed up that flip and crashed into me... "

Involuntarily, Bruck shuddered at the memory.

"It's not just that it hurt, but it felt... *wrong*. I don't know how to explain it, but Obi gave me the creeps just then. And not just the normal irritation he seems to inspire in me, but serious skin-crawling-make-it-go-away-now creeps."

Master Windu sighed and came to a halt right before the doors that led outside to the Meditation Gardens. For a brief second, he looked old and tired as if his forty-five years weighed heavily upon him. Then he straightened up and an intense look came over his face and Bruck felt the awe and respect generated from being in the presence of a true Master of the Jedi Arts. This was the man that had been Padawan to GrandMaster Yaddle, the Knight who had intimidated fourteen Ganks into dropping their weapons and fleeing without even drawing his lightsaber, the Master who had rescued and trained Knight Depa Billaba. Swallowing passed the sudden dryness in his throat, Bruck focused on his Master.

"That...sense of *wrongness* that you felt earlier today is the reason that we must go and retrieve Obi-Wan. It's the same reason that he is now speaking with Knight Xanatos. You are correct in stating that what Obi-Wan did was purely accidental, that he did not mean to injure you...or himself. But he did. And as painful as your leg is, my Padawan, the injury that Obi-Wan gave himself is far more damaging and much more difficult to heal. You see, when Obi-Wan reached for the Force to assist him with his acrobatics, he reached for it with anger. *That* was why you felt a sense of... wrongness."

It took Bruck a moment to think through what his Master had said. As well as what he *didn't* say. When he finally reached the obvious conclusion, his light blue eyes widened in shock and denial even as he felt the blood drain from his face to leave his normally healthy golden skin look ashy.

"But...but.... No. Not Obi. Not...the Dark Side...."

Mace Windu sighed sadly and rested a large warm hand on Bruck's shoulder, silently sending a comforting wave of Force through the boy.

"Yes. It's regrettable that it happened at all, but now we need to find out the cause of his anger and help him overcome it. Once he can master his own emotions, this will no longer be a danger for him."

Master Windu, turned back to the door and reached out to open it.

"Come, Bruck. Let's see if Obi-Wan is done speaking with Xanatos. If not, I'm sure we can find somewhere quiet for you to sit while we wait."

Silently, Bruck nodded and followed his Master out the door and into the Meditation Gardens. Ignoring the natural beauty that surrounded him on all sides, Bruck noticed immediately that Obi-Wan and Xanatos were in deep discussion while sitting on a nearby bench. He slowly limped behind Master Windu as he followed him around a large flowering tree to another meditation bench, this one was carved of wood instead of stone. Grateful to take his weight off of his still sore leg, Bruck sat down next to his Master and stretched his foot out.

Staring absently at the brightly colored flowers in the bed in front of the bench where he sat, Bruck's mind whirled with the memory of events that happened earlier during the shared training session in light of Master Windu's explanation. He was stunned and confused.

Bruck admittedly saw himself as one of the Junior Padawans with the most potential. He was smart, swift and strong, both with his body and with the Force. However, despite the fact that he recognized his own talents, he was well aware of the fact that Obi-Wan was better. Truthfully, that fact rankled a bit, but it was something that he had grown used to over the years. When he was younger it had been a source of great agitation and hurt feelings for him and he, admittedly, had lashed out at Obi-Wan and tormented him with insults on occasion. That had all changed, at least for Bruck, when Master Windu had taken him on as his Padawan Learner. It was suddenly okay that Obi-Wan was faster and quicker, that he was able to get such good grades in math and astrophysics class. It didn't matter because Master Windu saw potential in Bruck and was willing to help him achieve his goals. Not that he and Obi-Wan didn't still compete with each other, because their was no one else that Bruck *wanted* to measure himself against. And while their relationship wasn't as good as Obi-Wan's friendship with Bant and Garen, it was a lot better than it had been when they were kids.

And that's what made this so confusing. As far as he could tell, today's lessons hadn't been any different from any other day. It was just a normal day. What's more, if anyone had asked who Bruck thought would be the *last* person to use energy from the Dark Side of the Force, Obi-Wan would have not only made the list, but he would have been right at the top of it.

It was confusing and more than a bit frightening. Bruck just didn't get it. Only the fact that Master Windu confirmed that Obi did it by pure accident and not out of some malicious desire to hurt him kept Bruck from panicking outright. Not really wanting to eavesdrop or invade anyone's privacy, but desperately needing to understand, Bruck slowly began to focus in on the quiet conversation across the garden. Little by little, Obi's crackling warble between soprano and tenor could be heard mixing with the soft melodious tones of Xanatos' cultured voice.

"...scared."

"I understand, Obi-Wan. It's a very unsettling feeling and you feel caught between confusion of how it happened and the fear that it might happen again."

"Yes. That's it exactly, but how..."

"How do I know? It's simple. When I was still a Padawan I had a brush with the Dark Side myself. As with you, it was due to anger."

Bruck flinched even as he heard Obi-Wan gasp in surprise. Xanatos? Bruck could barely believe it. The tall thin Knight was one of the most centered and serene individuals that he'd ever met.

"When I was a Padawan to Master Jinn, I too lived with both he and Master Windu. At that same time, Master Windu was also teaching a Padawan."

"Knight Depa Billaba."

"Yes, Obi-Wan. Depa and I were trained together much the same way that you and Padawan Chun are. She has grown into an amazing Knight and is one of my greatest friends, but at the time I was very jealous of her. As you might know, Depa is incredibly intelligent and deeply philosophical. When we were younger, it seemed to me anyway, that everything came so quickly and easily for her. That she only needed to study a little bit and understood everything while I struggled with my lessons desperately. Philosophy, religions, languages, history. All of it was absorbed by her at incredible rates. At the time, I was under the mistaken belief that the only thing that I had that she didn't was a family outside of the Jedi."

There was a brief pause and Bruck shifted slightly, wanting to see as well as hear. There was a look of remembered sadness on Xanatos' face and an oddly sympathetic look on Obi-Wan's.

"I was wrong, of course. I have many skills and talents that are mine. Skills I worked hard to earn. However, at the time, I didn't see that. I was blinded by my own fears and jealousy. Then, when my birth father was proven to be an evil and unconscionable man, it seemed too much to bare. The one thing that I felt made me special was now ruined and that made me so very angry and hurt."

Bruck watched as the dark haired Knight gestured to his face and even though he couldn't see any details from this distance, he knew that he was pointing to the scar in the shape of an oddly broken circle.

"I scared myself deliberately as a permanent reminder of what I saw at the time as how the Jedi betrayed me and then I called on the Force in anger and hate. My Master tried to help me, to bring me back into the Light, but I ran instead. I didn't realize it at the time, but Master used his heartbond to call Master Windu and he came and brought Depa with him. Together, the three of them found me two weeks later and brought me back to the Temple."

"Wow. I.... I never knew. What.... What happened. How... I mean, it's obvious that you have nothing to do with the Dark Side now and you and Depa are great friends."

There was a soft chuckle and Bruck watched as Xanatos reached out and ruffled Obi-Wan's red-gold hair.

"True. It took a lot of time and work. Meditation and self examination to find out *why* I had turned to darkness. It was too easy an answer to say that I did it because my father had been killed. After all, Qui-Gon Jinn was *much* more of a father-figure than my own had ever been. However, I had made him into an Icon. My father was the leader of Telos and I told myself that fact made me special since I didn't see myself as special in any other way. When that was torn from me, I felt as if that meant that I too was nothing. Nobody. Much of my anger was focused at my Master and at Depa. My Master for not *making* me special and at Depa for being special herself."

Bruck frowned. Xanatos' story was a lot like how it was with he and Obi-Wan. The only difference was, where Xanatos was jealous that Depa was so smart and such a good Jedi, he had stopped being jealous of Obi-Wan two years ago when they both became Padawans. While he knew that Obi-Wan was the better Padawan, he was also able to see his own self-worth. However, it was a bit of a shock when he heard Obi-Wan speak up.

"That's how it is with me and Bruck. I mean, he's just so much better then me. I have to struggle with all the language classes we take and he just breezes through them. Plus he's stronger than me so he always does better in training. What's worse, whenever I try and do something as good as him and I mess up, he thinks it's funny. We're not always in Temple together and all so it's different when we're out on missions with just our Master's, but when we *are* together I feel like I am just *waiting* for him to make me feel bad and to look like a fool. When it happened again today, I just..."

Bruck flinched. Hard. His entire world tilted on it's axis as he underwent a paradigm shift. Obi-Wan didn't have any clue how Bruck truly saw him, nor did he have any real concept of how talented he himself really was. Obi saw Bruck as being better than him, which in some instances he was, but not all. Not even most. Plus he was just hanging around waiting to get kicked or something. Bruck saw their competing with each other as a sort of semi-friendly rivalry, but it was obvious that Obi-Wan didn't. He still saw Bruck as some cruel child hitting out because he himself was in pain. And that was so untrue.

"Obi-Wan, you should probably talk to Bruck about this."

"No, I can't. I mean, he'd laugh or something. Besides, he's probably so mad at me that he wouldn't even listen. I... I broke his leg, Xanatos. It was so horrible. When I close my eyes I can still hear that sickening crack of his bone and then his cry of pain. And I did that to him. I didn't mean to and I didn't want to, but it happened anyway."

"That's *why* you need to talk to him. You need to apologize to him. Even if he *did* laugh at you stumbling that doesn't mean he deserved to have his leg broken. So you owe him an apology and an explanation. What's more, you both need to work out any issues that either of you might have with the other. I didn't open up about my feelings for Depa for many years and they festered inside until they almost destroyed me. Once my Master and Master Windu brought me back to the Temple I underwent a lot of counseling and a lot of meditation therapy to work through my anger. Depa, Force bless her, worked with me for a long time to help me overcome my sense of inadequacy and she helped me to see that I had many strengths and talents. She taught me that I am special, not because of who my father was, but because of who *I* am."

There was a long pause and Bruck held his breath as he waited to hear what Obi would say about Xanatos' revelations.

"So, you think that Bruck could help me with this if I just talk to him?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan. I think that he can help you work through your anger by showing you how to face it and let it go. To see it for the illusion it really is."

Obi-Wan sighed.

"I'll try, but I don't know if he'll even *want* to talk to me again after what I did. I wouldn't blame him. I hurt him so badly."

Bruck couldn't sit still and quiet anymore. He could literally feel the waves of anguish and pain rolling across the Meditation Garden from Obi-Wan. He had never realized just how badly it hurt Obi-Wan when they competed and the other boy saw himself as not doing as well as Bruck. He had long since shrugged that off, but it seemed that Obi-Wan had never gotten passed that. He was still a bit confused and upset over what had happened, but he *knew* that he had to let Obi-Wan know that he had changed. That he was no longer the same boy that had called him "Oafy-Wan" and taunted him with being sent to the Agri-Corps. Standing up and facing the two on the other bench, Bruck called out to him.

"Obi..."

Obi-Wan's all ready pale face went stark white and then flushed a deep red even as he stumbled to his feet.

"Bruck, I... I..."

The other boy swallowed hard and for a brief second Bruck thought that he might break down into tears. Instead, Obi-Wan was able to hold them back after one soft sob. Then he gathered up the hem of his long cloak and sprinted across the garden towards him and his Master. He had expected anything from tears to a stammering explanation and apology to an angry accusation of laughing at his fall in the training gym. What he *didn't* expect was for Obi-Wan to fling his arms around his shoulders and bury his face in Bruck's neck while he cried out his apologies.

"Oh Force Bruck, I am *so* sorry. So very very sorry. I *swear* to you that I didn't mean to hurt your leg."

Startled and taken aback but this wild surge of emotion and reaction, Bruck turned helpless eyes on his Master. Master Windu just calmly nodded his head and gestured towards Obi-Wan.

/Comfort him, my Padawan. Help him to release these turbulent emotions to the Force so that he may gain control once more. Only then can he begin on his own journey of healing./

Bruck blinked for a second before he finally realized what it was the Master Windu was telling him. The burst of Dark Side energy that Obi-Wan had summoned may have injured himself on a physical level, but it had hurt Obi-Wan on a spiritual one. Even as his leg needed to heal from the break, so did Obi-Wan's soul need to heal from it's brush with the Dark Side of the Force.

Master Windu nodded solemnly to let him know that his thoughts were correct and then Bruck sighed softly and wrapped his own arms around the other Padawan's shaking shoulders. Obi-Wan gave another soft sob and Bruck could feel the wetness of tears dripping down the side of his neck.

"Shhh..."

"No, I'm sorry, Bruck. I didn't mean to hurt you and I promise that I'll never do it again. Honest. I'm so very sorry."

"Shhh... I know. It was an accident. I'm not mad at you, Obi. These things happen."

But Obi-Wan just shook his head where it rested in the crook of Bruck's neck. Bruck could feel him pull in a breath of air to speak, but he cut him off.

"Do you remember back when we were Initiates and were first starting on all those balance exercises? And we had to do the one were you go up a curving flight of steps blindfolded while in a trance?"

Bruck paused for a second as Obi-Wan nodded his head slightly.

"Remember how I tripped and fell? I landed on Bant and both of us tumbled off of the steps. She got hurt real bad. Broke a rib. Tal'ren and Frolty laughed because they thought I did it on purpose just to hurt her. I don't know what you thought, but I do know that Garen believed them because he yelled at me about it later. But I *didn't* do it on purpose. It was an accident. I lost my focus and came out of the trance. That's when I lost my balance and fell. If I had been able to keep my focus it wouldn't have happened. It's the same thing with what happened today."

For a second, Bruck thought that Obi-Wan would agree with what he said, but then he pulled back and shook his head. His eyes were puffy and red and his face was splotchy.

"You don't understand. Bruck, it was more than just losing my focus. I touched *Darkness* today."

The hopeless look in Obi-Wan's normally sunny eyes and the haunted look etched onto his usually smiling face was too much for Bruck. Without thinking, he reached out and pulled the other Padawan back into his arms for another embrace.

"I know. But don't you see, that's what I mean. You lost your focus. Your focus determines your reality."

"Huh?"

Chuckling softly at the confused tone in Obi-Wan's voice, Bruck pulled back away again. He started to shift his weight, but a surge of pain through his still healing leg stopped him and instead he slung one arm up and over Obi-Wan's shoulders and leaned on him. Instantly, Obi-Wan braced him up.

"Think about it Obi. What do you normally focus on when we're practicing acrobatics?"

There was a brief pause.

"Normally I guess I focus on my body. On how my muscles move and how the Force moves with me as I go through the routines."

Bruck nodded.

"Right. But you lost that focus today. Instead, you let yourself be distracted by your anger. Just like what happened to me all those years ago during the balancing exercises. Only instead of being distracted by something *inside* me, I was distracted by something on the outside. It had happened before then, but I never thought too much of it until then. After Bant got hurt though, I knew I had to fix the problem. It took me a lot of work, but I finally learned how *not* to be distracted by outside influences while I'm focusing and meditating."

Obi-Wan was silent for a long moment. Then he turned and looked up at Bruck.

"So I just gotta learn not to let my focus be distracted by my temper?"

Bruck nodded.

"Yep. Oh, there's more to it than that and it'll be a lot of work, but you can do it."

Obi-Wan nodded and Bruck squeezed his shoulders gently.

"Thanks, Bruck.

"No problem, Obi."

Suddenly, they were interrupted by a deep throat being cleared and they both looked over to see Knight Xanatos and Master Windu standing off to the side. He made a vague but elegant gesture towards the door leading back into the Temple.

"We should be going back to our quarters now. You need to get off of your leg Padawan, and you Obi-Wan, have an appointment with Qui-Gon and Master Yoda to prepare for."

"Yes, Master."

"Yes, Master Windu."

*

*Chapter One*

Personal Journal of Padawan Bruck Chun

It's been three cycles since Obi-Wan's brush with the Dark Side and if it weren't for the fact that the incident frightened everyone and totally trashed Obi-Wan's confidence for a while I would say that it was actually a good thing. Or, not that his brush with darkness was a good thing, but that what happened afterwards was. I'm sorry that he suffered that way and I'm sorry that my leg got broken and I wish that neither had happened, but I can't be sorry about how we both changed because of it.

We actually started talking to each other. Not the sullen animosity and chill politeness that had passed for talk before, but real honest to goodness talking. With honesty and openness and everything. It wasn't easy for either of us. We both carried too much hurt from when we were younger so right at first we got into some hideously nasty arguments. But after we got passed some of the worst of our buried and half forgotten feelings from our childhood, we started to see each other as we are *now*. And that's been great.

It's also a little strange too. I haven't had a real friend in years. The two kids that I was friends with when we were Initiates are no longer at the Temple. One is in the Agri-Corps and the other is in the Air-Corps. Looking back now and comparing how it was with them and how it is with Obi makes me think that even they weren't my friends. They were both older than me and they liked to pick on the littler kids. I looked up to them and so when they encouraged me to pick on my agemates I didn't think anything of it, but now I wish that things had been different back then. It's painful to look back on my memories through Obi's eyes. He saw me as a bully and now so do I.

I'm not anymore, but it was hard for Obi to see that because of how I was when I was friends with Tal'ren and Frolty. Now though, me and Obi are closer than we ever were before. We actually laugh and joke around with each other. The amazing thing is that I never realized how much tension and angst we created, not just among ourselves but with our Masters as well. I mean, it makes sense now that I think about it, but I couldn't see it before. It must have been hard on them. They *are* heartbonded mates, after all. I mean, how easy can it be climbing into bed next to someone who's Padawan is irritating the hell out of *your* Padawan?

Not that everything is suddenly all peaches and roses now. We still have our fights, but instead of just bottling it all up inside and seething through chilly icy politeness and biting hurtful comments, we argue out loud. And loudly. We have learned to get it out and up front so that we know where the other stands and how we each feel. Sometimes we need meditation and sometimes we need mediation, but in the end we always work it out.

On top of that, I'm friends with Cersii as well. I'm not as close to her as I am with Obi since we don't spend half as much time together, but still, it's something. Obi teases me that Cersii is my girlfriend and as much as I wish that were true, it isn't. She sees me as a nice kid, but still a kid. Which isn't a lot of fun, but it is fair. She's twenty-three and I'm still fifteen.

It's okay though. I just like to spend time with her no matter how she feels. And I don't mind Obi's teasing either. I just tease him back about Garen being his boyfriend. Obi just blushes and sighs and gets that sappy look in his eyes. Not that they're dating or anything. Garen doesn't like guys, only girls. So we are both pretty much pathetic that way, liking people who only see us as friends.

Oh well. That's okay. I'm just glad that Obi and I worked out our differences. And I'm glad he's been better at keeping that temper under control. He's been working a lot with GrandMaster Yoda and Knight Xanatos in that regard. He still has a way to go, but he's no longer in danger of the Dark Side. Which is good.

Well, I gotta go now. I've got to study for an astrophysics exam and I just don't get that stuff. I'll probably have to have Obi explain it to me.

*

With a sigh, Qui-Gon slid his robe off of his shoulders and carelessly tossed it onto the back of a chair by the dressing table. A wave of his hand and a controlled flicker of force lowered the lights even as he walked the few steps over to his bed. Mace reached out to hold up the edge of the blanket and sheet and with a soft smile, Qui-Gon slid into the bed beside him.

The sheets were cool against his skin and when he rolled over and pressed up against Mace he found his mate's skin to be warm and smooth. Qui-Gon slid his leg over one of Mace's and wrapped one heavily muscled arm around the other man's broad and well defined chest. He rested his head against Mace's shoulder even as a strong arm wrapped around him and pulled him in even tighter.

With a soft sigh, Qui-Gon felt all of his muscles relax. He was home again, for that was truly what Mace's arms were. His home. No where else in the entire Galaxy was quite as comforting and soothing as being in his mate's embrace. And it didn't matter if they were in the main Jedi Temple on Coruscant or on the far edge of the Outer Rim on some Force forsaken planet, as long as Mace was holding him, he was home.

"Did you speak to Yoda today, love?"

A slightly exasperated sigh met his question and Qui-Gon could picture Mace rolling his dark eyes behind closed lids.

"Yes. In fact, he ganged up on me with Yaddle."

Qui-Gon winced and squeezed his lover in sympathy.

"The little green troll patrol was out in force, huh?"

Mace chuckled softly and Qui-Gon enjoyed the way it made his lover's beautiful chest vibrate against him.

"I haven't heard that particular phrase since we were Padawans."

Then it was Qui-Gon who was chuckling.

"What? Little green troll patrol?"

"Yeah. The first time I heard someone refer to Yaddle and Yoda that way I didn't know if I wanted to beat them up in the saber practice arena so as to defend our Masters' honor or just laugh my head off."

Qui-Gon snorted in open amusement.

"I know what you mean, but what used to get me was when I overheard someone refer to them as 'the little green troll patrol on stilts' one day when I had Yoda strapped to my back and you had Yaddle strapped to yours."

Mace chuckled again and pulled Qui-Gon closer until nearly half of the older Master's body was draped over the younger's and their legs were completely entwined.

"To this day, I still don't know if Yoda and Yaddle knew that's what the other Padawans referred to them as. In any case, they did come to visit me today. They feel that Bruck is ready to be tested with the Enduron Laboris."

Qui-Gon sighed even as his hand began to trace gentle circles along Mace's ribs.

"The Trial of Endurance. Yoda spoke to me today too. Isn't it a coincidence that he feels that Obi-Wan is also ready to face the Enduron Laboris?"

Mace snorted even as he arched slightly into Qui-Gon's light touch, his own fingers mimicking the same movements against the older Master's back.

"You know what? I always stop and worry when he does something like this. Not that I don't have tremendous respect for your Master, Qui, but I tend to wonder if it's because Yoda foresaw something that makes him believe that the boys *need* to do this together or if he's just being a busybody again. After all, he's been just as involved in helping them work out their problems as we have."

Qui-Gon chuckled and Mace raised up one elegant eyebrow in response.

"I love and adore my Master. I probably always will, but you're asking the wrong person, love. After all these years I still have problems following Yoda's logic. And don't look at me like that either, because I know for a fact that Yaddle can turn you around in dizzy circles faster than a bolt of lightening can illuminate the nighttime sky."

Mace held out for a whole five seconds before sighing in defeat and nodding his head in agreement.

"True. Very true."

Then, much to Qui-Gon's delight, his mate turned over onto his side so that they were now laying chest to chest, groin to groin.

"However, we can discuss the details for Bruck and Obi-Wan taking the Endurance Trials in the morning over breakfast. Right now I've got other things on my mind."

And with that announcement, Mace's hands drifted down and he grabbed a double handful of Qui-Gon's arse. Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the Galaxy's premiere diplomats and negotiators and he was nobody's fool. He knew when to concede defeat and accept what was handed to him. Giving up the chance to pursue the conversation further, he instead turned his formidable concentration on nibbling that perfectly delectable spot on his mate's neck right behind his ear.

*

"Awww, maaannnn!"

Obi-Wan jostled awake at the whining tone of Bruck's voice in the bunk above him. A quick look around showed him that it was still night and a glance at his chrono confirmed that he'd only been asleep for a few hours. He was just about to complain to Bruck for waking him up in the middle of the night when he heard it. A rhythmic squealing of bedsprings and the thumping of a headboard against the walls. He sighed pitifully.

Suddenly, the view of the ever present traffic outside their bedroom window disappeared as Bruck leaned his head down over the edge of the upper bunk to look at him.

"Obi. You awake?"

Bruck's voice was a hissed whisper that was barely there.

"Yes. I am now."

They both turned their heads to glance at the wall that they shared with their respective Master's bedroom. The noise of enthusiastic lovemaking grew even louder.

"I can't believe that they are at it *again*."

Obi-Wan chuckled slightly and sat up on his bunk.

"I know. I'm just glad that they are both so good at shielding our training bonds. It's bad enough we gotta hear it, it'd be *so* much worse if we had to *feel* it too."

Bruck winced and shook his head.

"Don't even *say* something like that Obi. I'd die of terminal embarrassment for sure."

Obi-Wan could only nod his head in agreement with that sentiment.

"Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that they are both still so much in love after all these years, but..."

Bruck grinned.

"I know what you mean. Just because you're glad that they're happy doesn't mean you want to know all the details of their sex life."

"Exactly."

They paused a moment and noticed that not only did the squeaks from the bedsprings seem to be coming a bit faster, they could now hear both of their Masters moaning and groaning. Blushing, they both looked away in embarrassment. Suddenly, Bruck made a desperate suggestion, one that they had used many times in the past several years when this happened before.

"Wanna go into the common room and watch a vid?"

Pathetically grateful for the suggestion even though he had only been seconds away from making it himself, Obi-Wan nodded his head in agreement even as he jumped up from his bunk and grabbed his pillow and his blanket.

"Sure. We can make some Corellian popcorn and camp out on the couch."

"Sounds like a plan."

Seconds later, Bruck slid off of the top bunk, pillow under one arm and blanket wrapped up around the other. Together they turned and walked out passed their Master's bedroom, passed the 'fresher and into the common room. They dumped their stuff on the couch together into a pile. Obi-Wan wandered into the kitchen to make the popcorn while Bruck went through their collection of vids. They knew that this would work, between the 'fresher as a muffling 'dead zone' and the sound file on the vid, they wouldn't be able to hear their Master's lovemaking. It was an old trick, but one that never failed to work and never got them in trouble with their Master's.

*

Mace wandered out of the bedroom even as he was tying his robe around his waist. Heading to the 'fresher, he was distracted when he heard the faint sound of electronic static coming from the common room. Glancing in there, he paused at the doorway only to see that the static sound was coming from the vid unit. It had reached the end and reset itself to the beginning, but had not been programmed to perform any other function and so it was waiting in standby-mode.

The two reasons for this were curled up together on the couch in a tangle of blankets and sleep loosened limbs. Being the smaller boy, Obi-Wan was sprawled out on top of a snoring Bruck and the bowl which once held popcorn had tipped over onto the floor spilling the last few kernels. It was a heartwarming scene that inexplicably reminded Mace of a sleeping pile of puppies he had run across on a mission when he was still a Padawan.

Then strong warm arms wrapped around his waist from behind and Qui-Gon's soft beard was resting against his shoulder as he too peered out into the common room. The warmth of his bondmate's body pressed against him and the sleepy contentment pouring across his training bond with Bruck combined to make him smile in pure happiness.

"I guess we got a bit too loud for them again, huh?"

Mace chuckled at his lover's observation. The boys only ever hid out in the common room during the middle of the night when their lovemaking got loud enough to wake them up. It wasn't often enough in Mace's opinion, but he was sure the boys thought it was entirely too often.

"Should we tell them that we know why they come out here to sleep?"

Mace shot an incredulous look over his shoulder at Qui-Gon even though he could feel his lover's vast amusement through their heartbond.

"No way. They'd explode with embarrassment and then we'd have piles of Padawan all over the place. That's far too hard on the carpeting."

Qui-Gon snorted his laughter at that thought.

"Ah well. Perhaps when they are older it won't bother them so much."

*

Obi-Wan folded up another tunic and set it into his travel bag even as Bruck reached passed him into their shared closet space to grab a pair of leggings for his own travel bag. Once his clothing was packed, he'd be able to pack in the more delicate things like his datapad and stylus. The heavier sturdier stuff, like his repair tool kit, was on the very bottom. Pausing in his packing, Obi-Wan looked up at his roommate.

"I talked to Bant earlier today and she said that Shontis and Crey'lin Cumarti were also going with us. I don't know Shontis too well. She's older than us and I've never really worked with her before, but I had a class with Crey'lin last year and he's nice. Real quiet, but nice."

"I don't know either of them at all, but Cersii knows Shontis. She says she's a bit...pushy. Not mean or anything, but a real take charge kinda person. Always wants to be team leader or something."

Obi-Wan grunted in acknowledgment and then went back to packing.

"So, do you know what this is all about?"

Bruck shrugged as he fiddled with the closures on his travel bag.

"Not too much, but I guess that's the whole point. It's a survival course. You're dropped off at the beginning location and given a map. You have to make it to the pickup point in the specified amount of time, which is three days. I have no idea what you're allowed to bring or what we're gonna face. I'm just hoping that I didn't forget something that I might wind up needing later on."

Obi-Wan nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. It's hard to pack when you don't know what to expect."

A pounding on their bedroom door made them both swivel their heads around to look just as it slid open to reveal Master Mace Windu.

"Are you ready to leave? We need to head down to the transport now."

"Yes, Master."

"Yes, Master Windu."

They both stood up and grabbed their lightsabers and clipped them onto their belts. Then they each picked up their travel bags and followed the Jedi Master out into the common room. After putting on their ankle length cloaks, the two Padawans each grabbed up their own travel bags as well as the travel bags of their respective Masters. Settling the luggage into place comfortably, they then followed Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu out the door of their quarters and into the hallway of the main Temple.

*

*Chapter Two*

Bruck frowned at Shontis and tried once again to release his frustration and annoyance to the Force. He was hot, tired and dirty, not to mention thirsty and hungry. He wanted a shower, a filling meal and his bed. Not necessarily in that specific order, but at the moment any combination would do. But mostly he just wanted the Falleen Padawan to be quiet.

At first, Bruck had been quite enamored with Shontis. Her shimmering gray-green scales gave her humanoid form an ethereal quality and he was not immune to the chemical pheromones that all Falleen produce. However, after tramping through a stinking swamp, a bug infested forest and then into a rock strewn and sun blasted desert while listening to her alternate between issuing orders and complaining about their situation he found her to be less than charming.

Obi-Wan's friend Crey'lin Cumarti was like all Mimbanites. Quiet, shy and more than willing to obey any orders given to him. He wasn't bad looking or anything like that. His skin was a deep green and his body was slim and well toned, but the boy seemed to want to pull back and hide behind the hood of his cloak as if he could disappear. He was nice enough, but Bruck preferred people with a little more backbone to them.

The only saving grace for the entire horrible endurance test was Obi-Wan. They rolled their eyes at each other behind Shontis' back and argued good naturedly about everything from the Code to which podracer had the best chance at the next Malastare Galactic Circuit. Bruck took great delight in tormenting his friend by backing a new up and coming Dug podracer named Sebulba.

Despite the fact that Obi-Wan's presence helped to take his mind off of the many irritations on this excursion, Bruck had to admit that he was glad that it was almost over. He didn't really mind the fact that they had to hunt down and gather up any food that they might eat. He didn't even really mind the incredible heat. But the dirt was getting to him almost as much as Shontis' superior attitude. As far as he could tell, they only had a few more clicks to go before they reached the pickup point. Unfortunately, they were hard clicks to travel. They had to finish going up and over the rocky ridge they were on and then cross a stretch of hot dusty barren sands.

Naturally, Shontis insisted on taking the lead position when the track they were on narrowed down to the point where they had to walk single file. With a sigh and the desire to put space between himself and the arrogant Falleen girl, Bruck hung back a bit and let Obi-Wan follow her. He took position behind his friend and roommate while Crey'lin brought up the rear. The three boys were silently ignoring Shontis' never ending stream of babble as they followed her lead over the narrow ridge.

It was because of his position directly behind Obi-Wan that he had such a great view of what happened next. It was also because he had dropped back a distance behind them to assist Crey'lin when the boy grew nervous about the sudden drop-off at the edge of the narrow trail that he couldn't reach Obi-Wan in time to prevent it. All he could do was stare in abject horror and shock as Shontis' twisted her ankle and began to fall. He watched as Obi-Wan instantly reached out to steady her only for her to shove him back. Back away from her and off of the precipice they stood on. His shout of denial piercing the air, Bruck could only stare as Obi-Wan went sailing into freefall towards the ravine floor far below.

At the last moment, Crey'lin latched his grip on Bruck's arm even tighter than it had been and reached out with his other arm, hand suddenly curling into a hard fist. Bruck could feel the shy Mimbanite Padawan draw powerfully on the Force, wrapping it around Obi-Wan to cushion his impact with the ground as best as he could.

Sparing a second to *glare* at Shontis, Bruck turned his back on her and addressed Crey'lin.

"We have to get down there and see if he's all right. He probably survived thanks to your quick thinking, but I'm sure he suffered some injuries anyhow."

Crey'lin nodded immediately in agreement, but then his large eyes blinked.

"How will we get down there?"

Bruck glanced down the side of the raven and grimaced. His Master had made him go rock climbing as a part of his training before so he knew that he could do it, but he'd never done it without Mace Windu at his side to catch him if he fell. Looking back up at Crey'lin, he gestured to the cliff face.

"Ever go rock climbing?"

The small Mimbanite Padawan shook his head in the negative.

Bruck sighed and considered his options. There weren't many and the longer it took the more danger Obi-Wan was in. That meant they had to get down there faster then it would take to finish walking along the trail and down to the canyon floor and then doubling back to where he fell.

"Look. I can climb down with you on my back. I've gone rock climbing with my Master several times and I've often worn weights while doing it."

Shontis broke in to the conversation with a snort of derision.

"You can't do that Bruck. He's too heavy. Even a full pack of weights is lighter than Crey'lin. We are going to walk down and around."

Bruck turned his head and glared at her. He poked a finger against her chest.

"Back off. This *isn't* your call. You *blew* it Shontis."

Turning back to Crey'lin, Bruck nodded his head.

"She's right about one thing. You *are* heavier than any weight I've climbed with before. Bigger too. However, you could always use the Force to brace us both while I climb."

Crey'lin considered this for a long moment while staring down to the bottom of the ridge. Finally, he looked up at Bruck, his deep green skin oddly pale and yellowish with worry.

"Yes. I'll do it. Obi-Wan needs our help *now*."

The descent down the side of the mountain was a nightmarish blur of strained arm and back muscles, torn and bleeding fingers, bouts of vertigo and inconsistent pulses of energy and strength sent to him through the Force by Crey'lin. Time seemed to simultaneously stop for them while it sped along at a rapid pace for his friend below. He found himself quietly chanting the words etched over the door frame of the Temple's Grand Battle Arena in time to his slow steady movements.

"Peace over Anger. Honor over Hate. Strength over Fear."

Bruck was uncertain how long it took to reach the bottom of the ravine. It could have been moments or it could have been hours. He only realized that he was reaching the end of his goal when Crey'lin suddenly leapt from his back and used a current of Force to glide the last twenty feet to the ravine floor. Without the extra weight, he was able to climb down twice as fast. As soon as he hit the bottom, Bruck flung his senses open wide to the Force and used it to guide him to Obi-Wan. Racing across broken ground and around the twisted stunted growth of sturdy desert plants, Bruck nearly collided with Crey'lin where he crouched down in the dust and rocks next to Obi-Wan's crumbled form.

With a strangled cry, Bruck dropped to his knees next to the Mimbanite Padawan. Obi-Wan was covered in tiny scrapes and cuts from his descent and his left arm was twisted at an unnatural angle, obviously broken. His right leg was torn open in a deep gash that was bleeding a puddle of thick red onto the ground and his face was chalky white. Bruck wasn't sure if he had suffered any internal bleeding, but the cut on his leg was deep enough to bleed him out all on it's own.

Pushing down his panic and desperately trying to recall anything and everything that Cersii had ever told him about healing, Bruck reached for his utility belt and quickly unzipped his pouch. The whole point of the endurance test was to survive traveling through several harsh environments with minimal provisions and without their Master's guidance. However, they *did* carry some equipment for emergencies. And it was those things that Bruck needed desperately.

Yanking out a tool that was used to bind various density materials with small metal staples, Bruck passed it over to Crey'lin. Then he dug back into his pouch for all of the small self sticking bacta patches he carried.

"Here. Try and use this to close up the worst of that gash on Obi's leg and then slap a bacta patch on any spot that's bleeding."

Once he had all of his bacta patches in a neat pile between them, Bruck reached for Obi-Wan's utility belt pouch and began scrambling in that one as well. He pulled all of the bacta patches out of it and added them to the pile.

"While you do that, I'm gonna try and get Obi into a healing trance. My friend Cersii told me all about them and if I can do it, it'll probably save his life. And right now, I don't think he'll survive without one."

The two boys looked down at the third for a quick moment. Obi-Wan's face was going from pasty white to a sickening shade of pale gray. His harsh breathing was getting labored and the pulse at his throat was fluttery.

"I think you're right. Force be with you."

And with that whispered statement, Crey'lin turned and grabbed up the tiny stapler and began to try and use it to close up the horrifying gash on their friend's leg. Scooting around so that he was kneeling at the top of Obi-Wan's head, Bruck took a deep breath and closed his eyes even as he reached down with both hands and placed his palms against his friend's temples. Centering himself, Bruck reached out with his mind, battering against Obi-Wan's faltering mental shields.

/Come on Obi. Let me in. Hear me./

There was no answer, just the smooth wash of his roommate's shields. He tried again, this time pulling on the Force, using it to augment and amplify his own meager mental talents.

/Listen to me Obi. Drop your shields. Let me in./

Obi-Wan's shields shivered against his mind touch, wavering slightly, but ultimately holding him back. Taking another deep breath, Bruck drew on the Force once more even as he reached deep down inside and pulled from his own inner wellspring of strength and his own personal growing affection and friendship for Obi-Wan.

/Let me in Obi. Let me inside of your shields. I can help you./

For a brief moment, Bruck thought that Obi-Wan's shields would hold, but then in a rush of mental sound, they dropped and his friend's mind was laid bare to him. Instantly a wash of almost overwhelming pain rushed into his own mind and he struggled to release it into the Force. As the pain level slowly receded, Obi-Wan's mind instinctively began to raise up it's battered shields to force Bruck out. In a panic that he wouldn't be able to stay inside his friend's mind long enough to induce a healing trance, Bruck began to build a mental bond. He had never forged a bond before, but he had been the recipient of several over the years and he had a fairly good idea of how it worked. Using the Force and his own desire to connect to Obi-Wan, Bruck wove tendril after tendril of mental links with his friend even as he simultaneously poured his own energy into Obi-Wan to help sustain his faltering life-spark. In the midst of all this, he called out mentally to the injured Padawan.

/Obi-Wan! It's Bruck. Can you hear me?/

/..../

It wasn't a coherent response, but it was a mental connection and Bruck was filled with a sense of relief and happiness. Latching onto that faint mental presence, Bruck used tendrils of Force to bind it to his own life-spark. Once that was done, he sent wave after wave of pure Force energy directly into Obi-Wan.

/Relax, Obi. Feel the Force flow into you. Let it strengthen you and heal you./

/..../

Bruck slid his own mind down into the Level Two Healing Trance and brought Obi-Wan with him. He had a vague notion of Crey'lin frantically applying bacta patches all over Obi-Wan's body to stop the bleeding and prevent infection, but Bruck didn't let that distract him from his focus. And his focus was keeping Obi-Wan's life-spark from slipping away into the Force.

/Just stay with me Obi. Hang onto me and I will keep sending the Force flowing through you./

/..../

*

Mace Windu was enjoying a pleasant game of sabacc with Master Cristo Calrissian, and losing badly to the other Jedi, when a sizzling jolt of absolute horror slammed into his mind through the Master/Apprentice bond he had with Bruck. He could feel a vague echo of that same horror coming from his bondmate's mind and knew that it's source was Obi-Wan. A strangled whisper of, "The boys." was forced out passed a suddenly dry mouth even as he was leaping to his feet and dashing for the door of the crew lounge.

Running down the hallway with Cristo right on his heals, Mace almost crashed into Qui-Gon's back during his mad dash to the cockpit of their transport when his lover suddenly went frightfully pale and swayed on his feet. Even through the sudden slamming shut of Qui-Gon's mental shields, Mace could feel the intense bolt of pain.

Bracing his bondmate's elbow with one hand, the three Jedi Masters continued their run towards the cockpit. Mace tried to reach through his training bond with Bruck to find out what was happening, but all he got was an oddly distorted echo that bounced his mental query back. The bond wasn't broken, it was just shielded tightly.

Pushing into the cockpit, they found the Selonian Knight Ko-Telth punching a set of coordinates into the navigation computer. Ko-Telth shifted slightly in his chair, most likely to make room for his thick tail, even as he gestured with one clawed had to the data pouring across the screen.

"Shontis contacted me through our training bond. I'm not sure what happened, but she was nearly hysterical at first. I was able to calm her down and she sent me these coordinates and begged that we come to pick her and the other Padawans up immediately."

Mace nodded even as he slid into the pilot's seat next to the younger Knight. He flipped a few switches and punched in a few codes and the small ship turned and began on a course for the coordinates that Ko-Telth had already entered. That's when Cristo Calrissian spoke up.

"I've also spoken to Crey'lin. It seems that young Obi-Wan has been injured due to a terrible fall. My Padawan is currently with Bruck Chun as they attempt to repel down a cliff face to reach their companion."

With a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, Mace pushed the small ship as fast as it would go, however there was only so much speed that a transport could go when entering an atmosphere. Not only could many of the ship's systems burn up if too much heat were generated, but too great a velocity could seriously damage a planet's atmosphere by literally pushing layers of it out into the vacuum of space.

Mace knew that his lover was desperately trying to reach his Padawan through their training bond, but it only took a single glance at his ashen face to realize that Qui-Gon wasn't having any better luck than he was at reaching Bruck. Silently, Mace prayed to the Force that they wouldn't be too late to help Obi-Wan.

*

Pain pulsed through his entire body in erratic and agonizing waves that left him both dizzy and nauseous. However, it was the oddly mental pain that finally pulled him up out of oblivion and into the harsh reality of consciousness. It was a horrible yearning, a desperate need for...something,...someone... unknown. A yawning chasm of loss and despair that was growing wider and wider.

Vaguely, he could hear shouted voices in the distance, but he was in too much physical pain and mental turmoil to distinguish who it was or what they were saying. All he wanted was for the agony to stop and leave him in blissful peace. Mindlessly he thrashed, fighting out against the pain and reaching for that elusive something.

Then, inexplicably, the mental agony began to fade away again. He felt his hand being picked up and gently cradled in another's. Warm soothing waves of Force washed over him at that soft touch and he felt oddly completed. Whole. Battling against his own pain and fatigue, he used the last of his energy to wrench open his heavy eyelids. Bright white light assaulted his brain, but he had the vague and blurry impression of short silvery hair against glowing dark bronze skin and shimmering ice blue eyes. Then blackness stole over his vision and he knew no more.

*

Qui-Gon looked up from his vigil at Obi-Wan's bedside in the small medi-unit on the transport ship as Master Calrissian quietly stepped inside the door. On the other side of Obi-Wan's bed, Bruck didn't move from his meditations, nor did he let go of Obi-Wan's hand, but Mace shifted from behind his own Padawan to also look over at the tall dark Jedi Master.

"Our ETA to the main Temple on Coruscant is in two and a half hours. I've arranged to have authorization to skip passed the normal air-traffic arrival stations so we can head directly to the Temple. A medical team of Healers are preparing for our arrival even as we speak."

Mace nodded his acknowledgment.

"Thank you, Cristo. I appreciate all of your efforts as well as the efforts of your Padawan."

The tall Corellian Jedi Master nodded in acknowledgment and gestured to Obi-Wan's pale and unconscious form.

"How is he doing? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Qui-Gon shook his head.

"We've managed to get him stable and Crey'lin had already stopped the bleeding. Scans don't show any internal injuries beyond severe bruising."

Qui-Gon sighed and exchanged a brief look with Mace before continuing.

"Bruck has somehow managed to form a very strong mental bond with Obi-Wan, however. We believe that he is using this bond to keep Obi-Wan's condition stable. We tried to separate them so that Bruck could come out of his trance, but that didn't work out as we had hoped. Both boys immediately began to go into psychic shock so severely that we had to help them reestablish their connection to stabilize them both."

Cristo gasped in surprise before releasing his emotions to the Force and settling back into Jedi serenity once more.

"What type of bond is it that could cause psychic shock due to physical or mental separation?"

Qui-Gon sighed and picked Obi-Wan's limp hand off of the bed. He caressed it gently with his thumb before turning his eyes back to the other Jedi Master.

"We...are uncertain at this time what type of bond it is. However, we believe that it is because Obi-Wan's end of it is unstable that is causing the psychic shock. Bruck has to stay in a trance state to keep both his end and Obi-Wan's end of it from collapsing in on itself. Once Obi-Wan is strong enough to become fully aware, he will be able to stabilize his end and the bond will be complete."

Cristo nodded his head, his dark eyes lost in thought.

"Yes. That would complete and stabilize the bond...but that still doesn't tell us what type of bond it is."

Mace grimaced and rested a comforting hand on Bruck's shoulder, silently augmenting his Padawan's waning strength through the Force and their own bond.

"We know."

*

*Chapter Three*

Cersii stood ready and waiting at the head of the wheeled medical bed trying to stay centered and not tense up. She was nearing the time when she would take her trials to become a full Knight Healer and was the most senior of the Senior Padawan Healers and as such, she knew her job well. However, this time one of the patients was also one of her friends. She was painfully aware that if she didn't do her job correctly that Bruck would go into psychic shock and could easily suffer extreme mental pain and possibly permanent damage.

A ripple of Force moved through the room in warning only seconds before a tinny metallic voice spoke over the open comm channel announcing that the transport had landed and that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Bruck Chun were now enroute to the Healers Center in the East Tower. The activity in the room paused for just the briefest second and then picked up again.

Cersii turned her head and double checked the small tray that stood beside her. It contained several hypo-spray units; one that was an anesthetic and two that were sleep inducing relaxants. There was also a neuro-stimulator in case it was necessary. However, that last item was to be used as only a last resort. Padawan Kenobi had to be brought into awareness so that the newly forged bond between himself and Bruck could stabilize, but it would be far better to awaken the boy using the Force than any foreign technology.

Satisfied that everything was ready on her end, Cersii looked up to note that two Knight Healers stood waiting off to one side. Once Cersii had finished stabilizing the bond, they would wheel Padawan Kenobi into the Surgery Suite where her own Master was waiting to repair the damage done to his leg, arm and see to the internal bruising that he suffered. While that was happening, it was her job to attend to her friend Bruck and help him with any of the lingering after effects of psychic shock.

Then the door to the trauma room slid back and events began to quicken. Obi-Wan was laying unconscious on the type of stiff and sturdy medical table with lockable wheels that was common to space transport medi-units. Master Mace Windu was guiding it from the front where Padawan Kenobi's feet were while the boy's own Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, was pushing it from the back, where the boy's head lay. Bruck walked along side of it, clasping his unconscious bondmate's hand gently with both of his own, his eyes closed tightly in concentration.

Waving the Master's over with a gesture, Cersii thrust her chin toward the medical bed she was standing behind even as she reached to her tray and grabbed up the hypo-spray filled with the anesthetic.

"Bring the medical table over next to the bed. Then use the Force to transfer Padawan Kenobi to the bed. Once he's settled there, move the table out of the way and get Bruck back next to him. I've got to get their bond stable."

A brief flutter went through her mind informing her that she had just issued demanding orders of two high ranking Jedi Masters, but she pushed that distraction aside. Despite her rank, she was the expert in this matter and neither of the Warrior-Diplomats dismissed or ignored her directions. The wheeled table slid smoothly into place and with nary a glance between them, Masters Jinn and Windu reached out with the Force in perfect unison and lifted Padawan Kenobi's body up off of the table on a smooth cushion of comforting Force and levitated him over to the medical bed.

There was a brief commotion when Bruck's hands slid away from the other boy's. Bruck tried to scramble over the table and nearly knocked it into the medical bed even as Master Windu hurried to his side. Bruck was practically incoherent with exhaustion and the beginnings of pyschic shock, however, and merely cried out, "Obi!" while fighting to get away from his Master and closer to his bondmate. Even the unconscious boy began to thrash weakly on the medical bed in distress and Cersii knew that she had to work fast.

Pressing the hypo-spray tightly against Padawan Kenobi's throat, she triggered the mechanism and listened to the soft hiss as the pain killing medicine flowed into his blood stream. Setting it aside, Cersii then pressed the palms of her hands tightly against the boy's temples and closed her eyes. Quickly checking her own center, she drew on the power of the Force and slid gentle tendrils of it swirling into the her patient's mind, slowly drawing his consciousness closer and closer to the surface. It was not an easy task as he was experiencing so much pain and trauma that his mind instinctively tried to shy away from awareness, however, she offered soothing waves of Force and continued to coax him awake.

The anesthetic began to do it's job and the barrier of physical pain began to recede slightly, and still she sent Force into his mind, strengthening the tenuous connection he had with his bondmate. Then Bruck was there as well. Cersii had a vague notion that he had established some form of physical contact and pulses of Force energy flowed along the newborn bond from her friend. Obi-Wan's mental trauma soothed instantly and the signs of psychic shock began to slide away once more.

With one last powerful wave of Force, Cersii pulled Obi-Wan up out of unconsciousness then gently and silently led his tired and battered mind step by step in the process of solidifying and completing the bond between himself and Bruck. She could actually feel the bond click more firmly into place as if two great puzzle pieces finally snapped together in perfect harmony. The sheer power of the bond completeing itself caused a ripple of relief and happiness to shimmer through the Force. A soft smile forming on her lips, the Twi'lek Padawan Healer slowly began to pull her consciousness back out of the healing trance.

Lifting her hands back off of Padawan Kenobi's head, she reached out and grabbed up one of the remaining hypo-sprays and set it against his neck. Triggering it, she listened to the medicine hiss into his bloodstream. The relaxant would help him slide back into unconsciousness so that he could undergo the surgery that awaited him. His eyelids fluttered briefly and she was able to see that his eyes were bright green and then he was asleep. Slowly walking around the medical bed, she took hold of Bruck's hands and gently disengaged them from his bondmate's hand. She gestured to the two Knights waiting quietly to the side even as she wrapped an arm around her friend's shoulders and walked him back from the medical bed. His own ice blue eyes wide and confused, he watched as Padawan Kenobi's bed was wheeled out of the room.

"Shhh... Everything is going to be fine now Bruck. They are taking him to my Master. She will tend to his wounds and he'll be on the road to recovery before you know it."

Bruck turned to look up at her, his face an open book of worry and exhaustion.

"Promise?"

She hugged him a bit tighter and smiled gently.

"I promise, Bruck."

Then, Cersii leaned back again and studied her friend with both her eyes and her Force sense. He was dirty, tired and mentally battered from almost a day and a half of holding open an unstable bond that he had forged with his own energy. And the preliminary reports that the Master's had sent via comm from the transport stated that they had been unable to get him to eat or sleep due to the fact that every time he came up out of trance, both of the boys slid into psychic shock. Her Force sense told her that there was some residual damage from those painful and traumatic forays into psychic shock, but fixing that could wait a bit.

Gesturing with her head to the two Master's for them to follow, Cersii led Bruck out of the trauma room and into a waiting recovery room. Two medical beds stood side by side in the middle of the sunny room and there was a door on the far wall. Leading her friend over to it, Cersii palmed the doorlock so that it would slide open and she gently guided him inside.

"Here you go Bruck. Why don't you enjoy a nice water shower? I'll have some sleep clothes ready for you when you are done. After you are clean and dressed, we'll get some food into you. By then, Padawan Kenobi should be back from surgery. You can get some sleep with him in the bed right next to you. Then, when you both wake up, we'll set to work teaching you how to use your bond with him. Okay?"

There was a long pause as Bruck's tired and battered mind worked through all that she had told him, but finally he merely nodded his head and stepped into the tiny 'fresher and closed the door behind him. Turning, she faced the two Masters that were waiting patiently for her report. Both of them wore the Jedi mask of serenity, but her healers' eyes could see the worry and the exhaustion that weighed heavily on both of them. It was in her opinion that good news would make them both feel better.

"Well, Masters. I am very happy to let you know that the bond between Padawans Chun and Kenobi has been successfully completed and is now stable. While there is evidence of some trauma and damage caused by psychic shock, it is nothing that can't be easily fixed when they are both well rested and alert."

While outwardly the two Jedi Masters merely nodded acknowledgment of her words, she could feel the waves of relief roll off of them both through the Force. She smiled slightly.

"I didn't scan much of Padawan Kenobi's injuries beyond the mental, so you will need to speak to my Master about any physical difficulties after she is finished with the surgery. However, I did perform a physical scan of Padawan Chun. His is merely suffering from exhaustion and mild dehydration. A good meal and lots of fluids combined with plenty of bedrest will alleviate that."

The two Masters nodded again and Cersii was just about to recommend that they both go and get some rest themselves when Master Windu caught her attention with a vague gesture and the deep rolling tones of his voice.

"Padawan? Were you able to tell what type of bond Bruck formed with Obi-Wan? We didn't think it felt like a training bond, however, it was difficult to tell because it was unstable and fluctuating wildly."

Cersii frowned and paused a moment. She did recognize the type of bond that had been forged between the boys, however, she wasn't certain how well the two Jedi Masters would take the news. Still, they had to be told and it was best that they hear it right away so that they could decide what to do. Taking a deep breath to steel her nerves, Cersii began to explain.

"Yes. I did recognize the type of bond. And I agree with your assessment that it is very difficult to diagnose a bond while it is unstable, which is why I'd like to reexamine it once both of them are once again awake. My impressions of it might be off because of that reason, however..."

Cersii swallowed and then rushed on.

"It appears as if the bond between your two Padawans is a soulbond. A...a soulbond is much like the heartbond that I can see resonating between the two of you. The only difference is that a heartbond is not considered permanent. Granted, it's *extremely* rare that a heartbond has ever been broken in any way besides the death of one of the bondmates, but it *is* breakable. A soulbond isn't. Not even by death."

The only physical reaction to her announcement was that Master Jinn's face went pale and Master Windu's face went ashy. The Force, however, rippled with their shock and dismay.

"Do you mean to say that if one of them dies, the other will follow him into the Force?"

Sadly, Cersii nodded her head.

"Yes. That's why soulbonds are actively discouraged. When two lifemates wish to bond their Force Signatures into one it is recommended that they choose the same path that both of you have. A heartbond."

With a sigh, Cersii began to walk toward the doorway. Stopping at the threshold, she paused to look back.

"I'll be back shortly. I need to get some sleep clothes for Bruck and request a hot filling meal for him."

For a moment she wished to say more, but she found that she didn't have the words to express how she felt. Instead, she merely nodded at the two Jedi and swept silently from the room.

*

Mace lifted the tray away from Bruck and turned to set it off to one side. Sleepy contentment drifted through his training bond with the boy and he smiled gently as he turned back to help Bruck settle comfortably on the pillows of his bed. Just as his Padawan opened up his mouth to ask a question, the door to the recovery room slid open and several Healers in their blue robes walked in guiding the wheeled medical bed that Obi-Wan rested upon. Mace could clearly see the lumps and curves of numerous bandages under the crisp white sheet and he swallowed passed the sudden lump in his throat.

Swiftly and quietly, his lover crossed the room and added his own Force efforts to levitate the sleeping boy from the bed he rested on to the one waiting next to Bruck's own. Once he was settled, the Healers fussed a bit and Qui-Gon covered him up with the sheet once more.

"Both boys need to sleep for as long as they can. I will be in a bit later to check on them."

Mace turned to see a small wizened humanoid woman in the midnight blue robes of a Jedi Master Healer. She was smiling gently, but Mace could see the lines of stress and exhaustion on her broad forehead. Then her sharp eyed gazed washed over both himself and his bondmate.

"I'd also suggest that once the Padawans are sleeping that the two of you get showered, fed and some rest yourselves."

One of Mace's eyebrows rose upwards, but before he could respond the Master Healer raised one hand palm out to stop him.

"No. I know what you're going to say. And yes, the boys *do* need you. But they need you to be strong and healthy when they awaken. Running yourself into the ground won't help them a bit. Right now it's merely a suggestion. Don't let it get to the point where it's an order."

And with that, the petite Master Healer swirled around and glided out of the recovery room. Glancing over at Qui-Gon, Mace shared a brief moment of amusement with his lover before they both turned their attentions to their Padawans. Bruck was gazing at the door with a look of bemused fondness on his tired face.

"Cersii's Master is a pushy little thing, but she *does* know her stuff."

With that, Bruck shifted so that he could look up at Mace.

"She's right Master. You should rest. I wouldn't want you to make yourself ill."

Smiling down gently at his Padawan, Mace reached out and ran his hand along the top of Bruck's head. The silvery hair was soft and silky and the short Padawan cut made it tickle against his palm in a fluttery whisper of sensation. Bruck started to grin at him, but halfway through it was interrupted by a jaw-popping yawn. The corner of Mace's lips pulled up in a tiny smirk and he brought his hand back up to Bruck's forehead.

"Sleep, my Padawan. Sleep."

A small soothing pulse of Force energy sent that suggestion deep into his mind along their training bond. A flicker of surprise washed over the boy's face and then he was sinking down into a much needed rest.

Looking up, Mace watched his lover stroke a finger along Obi-Wan's red-gold braid, a sad look in his eyes. Opening up their heartbond, he could feel relief warring with regret.

/Love?/

Qui-Gon's deep blue eyes shifted over and a half smile settled on his lips, but those beautiful eyes that Mace loved so much were still sad.

/They're so young, Mace. So very, very young. Obi-Wan has just turned sixteen and Bruck is still fifteen./

Mace glanced down at his Padawan and ran the backs of his fingers over the soft smooth skin of Bruck's cheek. With a quiet hum of contentment, Bruck nuzzled against his hand and then settled back into his dreams.

/We were young as well, if you remember? I was only a few cycles older than Obi-Wan when we first became lovers and started to deepen our friendship bond into a heartbond./

Mace watched true happiness rise up in Qui-Gon's eyes even as he caught the echo of several memories from that time period as they flickered through his mate's mind. But then that remembered happiness faded away to be replaced with the bittersweet melancholy that held him in its grip.

/True, my love. However, we *chose* to bond with each other. Neither Bruck nor Obi-Wan chose to have a soulbond. Not that I'm not grateful that Bruck was able to keep Obi-Wan alive, but he was attempting to do a Level Three Healing Trance while forging a friendship bond simultaneously. He did not mean to bind them so thoroughly./

Mace found that he couldn't refute that. Jedi Healers were indoctrinated with years of training to prevent them from permanently bonding to their various patients. A skilled Healer could form, dissolve and maintain a multitude of healing bonds. In fact, most Jedi Healers that you met were actively maintaining a number of healing bonds at all times, sometimes more and sometimes less. Unfortunately, rudimentary book knowledge of the basic concepts of Force Healing did not compare to the true skill of a talented and fully trained Jedi Healer and because of that fact, Obi-Wan and Bruck were now permanently soulbonded.

/It's so ironic. Sometimes I think that they can't decide if they are best friends or worst enemies and now.... Now they are bondmates./

Mace let his gaze drift over the two sleeping Padawans even as his mind recalled some of their more vocal and spectacular arguments. As disruptive as those loud disagreements were to the quiet and serenity of their home, it was far better than the icy silence filled with resentment and suppressed anger that smoldered between them before.

Then, unbidden, him mind replayed the image of how he had found the boys on the morning before they left for the Enduron Laboris. Bruck had been sleeping on the couch on his back with Obi-Wan sprawled out on his stomach on top of him. Both of them had been deeply asleep and yet they had curled up together in a warm comfortable tangle of limbs and blankets. That mental image led his mind to other thoughts. Such as, being bonded now, it wouldn't be long until they felt almost compelled to share a bed...and for more than just sleeping. Mace had the feeling that life was about to get interesting.

/Love?/

/..?../

Mace valiantly bit back a wince as he prepared to share his next observation.

/We should probably make sure that at least one of them is fitted for a contraceptive device before we allow them to leave the Healers Center./

Qui-Gon glanced over at him, an expression of pure puzzlement on his handsome face. Mace sighed softly.

/Qui, you haven't forgotten that Bruck is Krolenty did you?/

His lover frowned slightly in thought even as he shrugged in incomprehension. Mace sighed again. That was the problem with labeling a being as human. Humanity had spread throughout the Galaxy uncounted millennia ago so that now, due to environmental factors and crossbreeding with other species, there were quite a few subspecies that the simple label of "human" just didn't cover adequately. He and his lover, as well as their two Padawans were all "human", however, only Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were of the same subspecies.

/Love, the Krolenty are bi-gendered./

Mace then had the singular pleasure of listening to his bondmate hiss out a Huttese word that would have shocked the matrons in the creche. Even though he wouldn't have chosen *that* word to express himself, Mace understood why Qui-Gon was upset. If Bruck happened to conceive a child, it would set back his training at *least* two years. Jedi weren't encouraged to breed until they had been Knighted when they could sign on to teach the younger Initiates during the gestation and weaning period. Once the child was old enough to enter the creche the Knight could once again go on active missions. A Padawan didn't have that option.

/I think that we should bring this up with them when we explain the soulbond to them. It should be their decision of which one of them gets the contraceptive devise implanted. After all, it's not like we can forbid them to have sex./

Mace snorted softly at that last thought. The idea of telling bondmates that they couldn't connect on a physical level was absurd. The bond itself would demand it. And it would continue to demand it on a regular basis in a sort of renewal process if they didn't actively connect physically on their own. Mace knew this, not simply because it was common knowledge, but because he had personally felt the effects of a bond induced mating fever. And Force help any fool who got between him and Qui-Gon when the fever was on them.

Mace was about to continue the mental conversation with his bondmate when the door to the recovery room slid open. Turning his head to look over and see who had arrived, Mace had the sudden suspicion that he and Qui-Gon were about to be ordered to go get something to eat and then to get some sleep. The soft even tap-tap-tap of GrandMaster Yoda's gimmer stick was the only sound the tiny venerable Jedi Master made as he limped across the room. When he reached Mace's side, Yoda closed his eyes and silently levitated himself up until he was perched on the end of Bruck's bed. Sitting down just out of reach of the tall Padawan's feet, Yoda calmly arranged his robes into order before he looked up at Qui-Gon.

"Go. Eat, then sleep. Mace. Take him to your quarters, you shall. Sit vigil, my task shall be. Call Yaddle I will, if need to leave I do."

Qui-Gon opened his mouth. Mace wasn't sure if it was to agree or to argue because his lover never got the chance to speak before Yoda was cutting him off with a wave of one three fingered hand even as his wizened face softened with compassion and his ears dipped down.

"At ease you should be, my Padawan. Fine will Obi-Wan be when awake he does. Care for them both, I will."

His bondmate's jaw snapped closed with an audible click and Mace flashed him a wry smile even as he stepped back from the bed and extended one arm towards Qui-Gon. When his lover's eyes shone with indecision, Mace sent a soothing wash of Force through their heartbond.

/Come, my love. As Yoda has spoken, so shall it be./

A returning wave of Force from Qui-Gon brought a wash of mild amusement at the reminder of the phrase that they had often used during their own Padawan days, the name Yoda being interchangeable with Mace's own Master Yaddle. With one last soft and gentle caress to Obi-Wan's face, Qui-Gon stepped back and bowed slightly to Yoda.

"Yes, my Master."

And with that, he stepped over to Mace and together they left the recovery room and headed through the Temple hallways towards their quarters.

*

Obi-Wan wasn't sure what to think. His last true memories were of Shontis stumbling while they crossed the rocky ridge leading deeper into the desert and to their pickup point. And then he was free-falling out into space. After that, his memories became jumpy and blurred with huge chunks of missing time. Just vague impressions, really. The only thing that he could say for certain was that there was a lot of pain and Bruck's voice whispering to him gently through the trauma. Then, he woke up to find himself sore, aching and in a bed high up in the East Tower of the main Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Since he awoke, there had been a stream of Healers coming in and out of the room to check this bandage or to run that scan. Pain blocking medication was administered and he was fed a filling meal. Plans were made for rehabilitation therapy for his injured shoulder and leg so that he could regain full strength and mobility in both limbs. Masters Yoda and Windu traded off with his own Master in sitting in the room to watch over his progress.

And through it all, Bruck was there. Not really injured, but in another bed next to him. What was more, Bruck was in his head as well. He had asked about that once, but his Master had merely hushed him and promised to explain later when he was feeling a bit stronger. He had been on the verge of falling asleep at the time, so he hadn't pressed. Now, however, he was wide awake and feeling better than he had since he had first woken up two days ago. He wouldn't be surprised if he was released back to their quarters tomorrow if he continued to improve at the rate he was. It was time to find out what had happened. Turning his head slightly, he waved a hand to gesture to his Master.

"Master?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

"What...what happened? After I fell, I mean. I don't really have any clear memories."

His Master frowned slightly and sighed deeply. His eyes unfocused slightly and he grew still. Obi-Wan recognized it to mean that he was speaking telepathically to Master Windu and so he stayed silent and waited. Finally, his Master blinked and then stepped over to his bed. Obi-Wan watched calmly as the larger man reached out and ran a gentle finger along the length of his Padawan braid.

"Mace is heading up here now to join in this discussion with us, Padawan. As soon as he arrives, we will tell you what happened and I will answer any questions you might have. Okay?"

Obi-Wan nodded his head even as he reached up with his hand and grasped hold of Qui-Gon's. He entwined their fingers together and leaned back on his pillow.

"Yes, Master."

Still holding onto his Master's hand, Obi-Wan turned to look over at Bruck. The other boy was sleeping in his own bed, but Obi-Wan could feel an odd echo of Bruck's dreams as they wove their way through his mind. Turning his focus inward to where that warm sleepy spot that radiated Bruck's presence was shimmering in his mind, Obi-Wan gave it a tiny mental nudge. It seemed to be some sort of bond, but it was unlike any other bond he'd ever been a part of. Curious about it, but inexplicably happy that the bond was there at all, Obi-Wan wondered how it came into existence. He had no memory of it forming.

However, before he could investigate the bond further, Master Windu walked into the recovery room and strode over to Bruck's bed. Leaning down, he ran one of his large dark hands against his Padawan's cheek and spoke softly at him.

"Bruck? Wake up, Bruck. We need to talk about what happened."

Bruck's eyelids fluttered and Obi-Wan found himself fascinated by the ridiculously long silvery eyelashes that seemed to brush his friend's cheekbones with each blink. Then Bruck spoke and his honeyed voice sent a small shiver across Obi-Wan's skin. He'd never really took note of Bruck's voice before, but now it was a delight to his ears.

"M..Master?"

Master Windu smiled even as Bruck yawned and stretched. For some reason, Obi-Wan couldn't help but watch the other Padawan. His silvery hair shimmered in the soft sunlight streaming through the windows and his creamy caramel colored skin was soft and smooth looking. He had the vague desire to reach out and stroke it.

"Yes, Bruck. You need to wake up now. We need to discuss what happened after Obi-Wan fell off of the cliff face."

Blushing for some reason that Obi-Wan didn't quite understand, Bruck nodded his head even as he pushed himself up into a sitting position on the bed and made himself comfortable. Shifting slightly, Master Windu sat sideways on the edge of Bruck's bed by his knees so that one leg was bent at the knee and the other braced his body against the floor. In this somewhat awkward position, he could look at Bruck as well as him and his own Master. Oddly enough, it was Master Windu who started the discussion.

"Bruck, since you were actually there, why don't you tell Obi-Wan what happened after he fell off of the cliff."

Not letting go of his Master's hand, Obi-Wan turned his head to look over at Bruck. When the other Padawan began to speak, he had to force himself to concentrate on the actual words that Bruck was saying instead of just the musical sound of his voice. After only a few moments, that was no longer a problem as he was drawn into the tale of Bruck and Crey'lin painstakingly making their way down the side of a rock cliff face handhold by precarious handhold. Then he was horribly fascinated by Bruck's description of his injuries and he unconsciously held his Master's hand tighter. A soothing wave of Force from Qui-Gon settled him enough to listen to Bruck's faltering and emotional recollection of Crey'lin desperately trying to patch his wounds while Bruck struggled to ease his mind into a healing trance while he was unconscious. As Bruck reached the end of his tale with the arrival of their Master's on the transport ship, a glowlamp lit itself over Obi-Wan's head as he put two and two together.

"Master? Is that why I suddenly have some sort of bond with Bruck now? From him putting me into a healing trance? Is it a healing bond? I mean, it's just that it feels different from any other type of bond that I have."

Once again Bruck blushed rose under his caf colored skin and Obi-Wan could detect a flurry of emotions coming through the new bond. Embarrassment. Relief. Mild anxiety. Hope. And...desire? Obi-Wan's forehead crinkled up in confusion at those sensations. Then his Master was speaking to him and he turned his attention to Qui-Gon.

"Yes, Padawan. There is now a bond between you and young Bruck here, however, it isn't a healing bond."

Obi-Wan frowned slightly in puzzlement even as Master Windu took up the explanation.

"As you know, there are many different types of bonds. There are two bonds that are purely empathic. It's a mental bond that only lets emotion through and does not involve telepathy. There is the Mentor/Initiate bond which is an unequal bond. The Mentor has complete control over his or her end of the bond while the Initiate has very little. The other empathic bond is the friendship bond. This is an equal bond where both parties have complete control over their own end of the bond. You can send emotion, shield emotion or do both at once."

Obi-Wan nodded his head in understanding. He was intimately familiar with both of those types of bonds.

"Yes, Master Windu. I have a Mentor/Initiate bond with GrandMaster Yoda and friendship bonds with Padawans Bant and Garen."

Then his own Master began to speak again and Obi-Wan tilted his head back to look up at him.

"There is another level of mental bonds. The two types of bonds are both empathic and telepathic. The Master/Apprentice bond which we share is an unequal bond. I can shield my thoughts and feelings from you, but you cannot completely shield from me. Most Masters are sensitive and understanding about their Padawans privacy and as such, they don't pry, but that control is in the hands of the Master. The other bond of this type is the Working or Pair bond. This is a mental bond that is both empathic and telepathic, but as with the friendship bond, it is also equal. Both parties have complete control over their end of the bond. This is a bond that is mainly used by Knights who are permanently partnered together for missions and work but are not romantically paired as mates."

There was a bit of a pause then and Obi-Wan could feel Bruck's embarrassment grow stronger through their bond. As comforting and... *right* as it felt to have the other Padawan's presence in his mind, he couldn't help but worry about *why* he was embarrassed and nervous. Then Master Windu was speaking again and he turned his attention to the older Jedi's words.

"The next level of bonds is the most complete as well as the most rare. It is not merely a mental bond, although that is a part of it. These last two types of bonds encompass the mental connection both empathically and telepathically. However, these last two bonds work on another level as well. The bonds...forge a connection between the bondmate's Force Signatures as well. Both of these two types of bonds are equal bonds. One of them is considered a temporary bond, just like all of the other bonds we've mentioned. That type of bond is what Qui-Gon and I share. It's the heartbond."

Then his Master began speaking again when Master Windu seemed to falter.

"The last type of bond is the most rare of all. It's identical to a heartbond, but for one thing. It's...it's permanent. Not even death will break it. They are called soulbonds."

Almost against his will, Obi-Wan looked away from his Master's face and gazed over at Bruck. The other Padawan looked beautiful to Obi-Wan's eyes in a way he never had before. Oh, he had always been aware on a purely intellectual level that Bruck was a very good looking individual, but their long history of personal problems had always seemed more important than how he looked. But now he couldn't help but notice the delightful contrast of silvery white hair against creamy caramel skin and he was certain he could get lost gazing into Bruck's expressive ice blue eyes. Suddenly, Bruck's beauty was hitting him in the gut, making him feel new things, making him desire.... What's more, the expression on the other Padawan's face was one of helpless longing and a deep seated affection that he'd never seen there before.

"At first, we thought that maybe in his inexperience with forming bonds that Bruck might have initiated a Working bond, but further evidence has shown that the bond registers not only on a mental level, but also in both of your Force Signatures."

And suddenly, Obi-Wan knew without being told. His voice little more than a whisper and his eyes never leaving Bruck's, he spoke what he knew in his heart.

"It's a soulbond."

It was Bruck who answered.

"Yes."

*

*Chapter Four*

Obi-Wan laid back on his bed and fretted silently. Part of it was because Bruck had been rendered unconscious so that the Healers could implant the contraceptive device into his body and that reduced Obi-Wan's awareness of his bondmate significantly. As the aftereffects of their psychic shock healed, their connection through the soulbond had grown steadily deeper. At first it had been merely an empathic awareness. By the next day they had noticed the first stirrings of telepathy developing. This morning the telepathy was firmly in place. Bruck's friend Cersii had assured them that within a day or two they would be able to feel the connection in their Force Signatures as well.

That was all well and good. Obi-Wan found to his surprise and to his delight that he *enjoyed* Bruck's presence in his mind. The ebb and flow of emotion and thought was both soothing and stimulating in turns, but it was always a welcome comfort. And though everyone had been worried that he would resent that it was a permanent bond, he had to admit to himself that if the bond had suddenly dissolved, he would be left feeling empty. Hollow. Incomplete. So, that wasn't an issue for him even though the soulbond was unexpected.

The real reason that he was out of sorts was the fact that a soulbond was romantic in nature. He had just recently gotten to the point where he considered Bruck a friend and now he was certain that he was falling in love with the other Padawan. Everything about him gave Obi-Wan pleasure now. His face, his voice and the touch of his hand on his own. Only a week ago, Obi-Wan had held a crush for his friend Garen, but now he felt nothing but friendship for the other Padawan. And the feelings that he had for Bruck were so far beyond what he had felt for Garen as to make them incomparable.

Then there was the physical side of it. Everyone assured him in calm patient tones that he and Bruck *would* have sex. In fact, they were all so sure of this fact that even now Bruck was having minor surgery to prevent any accidental and unplanned children. This disturbed Obi-Wan on two separate levels.

The first was simply that he'd never had sex before. He wasn't a *prude* or anything like that. He'd enjoyed exchanging kisses and gentle caresses with one or two different Padawans in dark alcoves around the Temple on several occasions. But he hadn't done anything more than that and he was almost positive that he had more experience than Bruck did. Yet everyone just assumed that the two of them would be having sex just as soon as his injuries had healed enough for him to enjoy it. This assumption was so accepted that he and Bruck were *informed* that one of them would *have* to get the contraceptive implanted and that their Masters were having the Quartermaster exchange their old bunkbeds for a single bed large enough to hold both of them in it.

It didn't help that Obi-Wan *wanted* to kiss Bruck now that they were soulbonded. He found himself aching to taste the other Padawan's lips as he stroked that beautiful bronze skin with his fingers. Daydreams of holding Bruck in his arms and listening to him moan in pleasure flitted through his mind more and more often. And he wasn't the only one. Obi-Wan was often seduced by a wash of longing and desire flooding over the soulbond from Bruck and he knew without a doubt that *he* was the focus of his bondmate's feelings.

The second thing that worried him was what to *do* about it. He was pretty sure that given enough time, he and Bruck would eventually end up having sex. He wanted it and he was almost positive that Bruck did too and with them going to be spending every night in Temple sharing the same bed, there would be plenty of opportunities. However, he had no experience at it at all. Not with a male partner or a female partner and Bruck was bi-gendered so that meant that he was technically both.

He had *almost* broken down and asked his Master about it, but he had chickened out at the last moment from sheer embarrassment. He was certain that his Master had overheard him thinking about it though since they had both blushed furiously and later on that night, Qui-Gon had shown up with a datapad with all sorts of information on Krolenty anatomy and mating practices. Then, with a blush rising up passed his beard, his Master had offered to answer any questions he might have after reading the text.

He had read through the entire thing and when he reached the section on mating rituals he had found himself caught somewhere between mortal embarrassment and terminal arousal. And when he open up the image files attached to it he wouldn't have been surprised if he had died on the spot. It only made matters worse when his imagination replaced the models with himself and Bruck in that last picture.

For a long moment, Obi-Wan's worries were pushed aside as that mental image replayed itself before his mind's eye. He could easily picture Bruck laying on his back, his dark skin an erotic contrast to bright white sheets and his lovely face twisted into lines of bliss. He could almost feel Bruck's long smooth thighs wrapped around his hips as he plunged deeply into his hot body with the solid weight of his bondmate's erect cock pulsing in his hand.

Sighing with mildly frustrated longing, Obi-Wan opened his eyes only to glare down at the tent his eager penis was making out of his thin sleeping pants.

*

Qui-Gon Jinn strode down the hallways of the Healers Center in the East Tower next to his bondmate Mace Windu. Both of the Jedi Masters were looking forward to this day because the Healers had finally given them leave to bring their Padawans home again. Obi-Wan's injuries had healed to the point where he no longer needed to keep them bandaged in bacta and he was scheduled to start the first stages of his physical therapy tomorrow. As for Bruck, he had come through the minor surgery to implant the contraceptive device without any complications and the small incision was healed with any lingering tenderness soon to be gone.

Striding around the last corner, they quickly came upon recovery room #36-D and Qui-Gon reached out to palm the door open. It slid smoothly back into the wall and he and Mace walked in. Obi-Wan was sitting up on his bed even as Senior Padawan Healer Cersii removed the last bacta bandage from around his leg. Upon their arrival, Obi-Wan looked up at them and beamed.

"Good morning, Master, Master Windu."

"Good morning, Padawan."

"Good morning, Obi-Wan. Where is Bruck?"

Obi-Wan jerked a thumb over his shoulder with his uninjured arm and grinned.

"He's in the 'fresher enjoying a water shower."

His green eyes went slightly unfocused and he giggled slightly.

"Oh! He just dropped the soap. Again."

Then with a mischievous glint shining in his eyes, his Padawan looked directly at his lover and grinned cheekily.

"Where ever did he learn that kind of language, Master Windu? He could make a Corellian Space Freighter Captain cringe and blush."

Mace merely rolled his eyes in fond exasperation, but Qui-Gon couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped his lips.

"You aren't one to talk Obi-Wan. I've heard things come out of your mouth that would make a pirate faint."

At that little bit of news one of Mace's elegant eyebrows arched up and he turned an amused look on Obi-Wan.

"And where did you learn the kind of language that would offend a space pirate?"

With another one of his cheeky grins, Obi-Wan merely shrugged and pointed at Qui-Gon.

"From my Master, of course. He's fluent in Huttese and that's a very colorful and descriptive language when you wish to be insulting."

At that, Mace barked out a laugh and Cersii tried to stifle her giggles behind one of her hands. Qui-Gon on the other hand, bit back his own laughter and leveled a serious look at his student.

"Padawan..."

Completely unrepentant, but dipping his head nonetheless, Obi-Wan subsided in his teasing.

"Yes, Master."

It didn't take any of them long to pull themselves together and at least pretend to decorum. By that time, Cersii was finished removing the bacta bandage and stood up and turned around to face Qui-Gon.

"Padawan Kenobi's leg is able to get wet, so he should have no problem enjoying a bath later on tonight or tomorrow. However, his shoulder is still healing so his arm has been bound to his chest to prevent any movements or stress to the muscles. The Healer who will be handling his physical therapy will be able to give you an estimate on how long that restriction will last."

Qui-Gon nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"This morning I was able to confirm that the last traces of mental residue from the psychic trauma is completely healed in both Padawan Chun and Padawan Kenobi so there should not be any trouble with their bond, however, if they do show any signs of a repeat episode, please bring them back for further treatment."

Both Qui-Gon and Mace nodded, but it was Mace who answered out loud.

"Of course. When will they be able to be released back to our quarters?"

Cersii nodded her head towards the door of the recovery room even as she answered his question.

"My Master has a few documents that need both of your signatures in order to release them back into your care. Once that is completed they are both free to go."

With that, Cersii smiled and bowed before she turned and walked out into the hallway. With a shrug, Mace turned to follow in order to start on the pile of paperwork that was so prevalent in a bureaucracy. When Qui-Gon moved to follow his bondmate, Obi-Wan cleared his throat to gain his attention.

"Uh... Master? I, um...might need a little bit of help getting dressed. I mean, with my one arm bound to my ribcage and all...."

Qui-Gon stopped and nodded to Mace.

/I'll be out to help with the paperwork in a moment, love./

/Okay. See you then./

He watched Mace stride out and then turned back to his Padawan. Obi-Wan's red-gold hair shone like spun silk in the sunlight streaming in through the window and his pale skin once again had a healthy glow to it. His relief and happiness at being able to leave the Healers Center radiated through their training bond in warm waves even as he held up his leggings with an expression of confusion on his face over how to get in them with one arm and one of his legs still sore, stiff and uncooperative. With a slight shake of his head and a soft smile on his face, Qui-Gon stepped over and took the leggings from his Padawan.

"Here. Let me help you, Obi-Wan."

"Yes, Master. Thank you."

*

He was *so* glad to finally be back home. Not that he hadn't enjoyed the time he spent with Cersii, but he didn't like living in the Healers Center and he *certainly* didn't like the reason he and his new bondmate had been there. But now they were *home*. He suddenly felt as if everything was going to be all right.

Not that the walk back here hadn't been difficult for his new bondmate. Obi's shoulder was still real achy and after a while his leg also began to throb. Exhaustion also began to kick in. He could feel it coming across their bond in weary pulses as Obi pushed himself to keep going. Almost instinctively he began to gently fill their bond with Force energy to strengthen and support the other Padawan. When he realized what it was he was doing, he came close to stumbling in surprise that he had done it without conscious thought. However, the more he thought about it, the more it just seemed...right. Natural.

Now that they were back in their quarters all he wanted was a cup of tea. It probably sounded silly and he supposed in a way it was, but the tea they served in the Healers Center wasn't as good as the tea he made here in their own kitchen. Turning to hang up his cloak in the common room closet, he glanced over his shoulder at his Master.

"I was going to make myself a cup of tea. Would anyone else like some?"

His Master smiled at him and nodded.

"Yes, Padawan. That would be a kindness. Thank you."

He glanced over at his bondmate's Master.

"Master Jinn, would you like a cup of tea too?"

The tall Jedi Master shook out his long salt and pepper hair even as he folded his own cloak over the back of the chair in front of the comm unit.

"Thank you, Bruck. I'd love a cup."

He glanced over at his bondmate only to see lines of stress on his handsome face.

"Obi?"

His bondmate nodded even as he fought with his cloak. He was having difficultly getting it off with only one arm. Smiling softly, Bruck walked over and gently peeled it off of his shoulders, mindful of his lingering injury. Waves of gratitude washed over their bond and inexplicably, Bruck felt himself blushing. Confused and mildly embarrassed by his reaction, he turned away to hang up Obi's cloak.

"Um...could you bring me some in our room? The walk sorta tired me out and I think I might want to lay down for a bit."

Glad for the chance to do something besides lay down himself, he wasn't ready to get back in bed, but he could understand why Obi would want to. He could feel the echo of pain through their bond and he knew that his friend was tired from the walk.

"No problem. I'll bring it back there as soon as it's done."

Sliding passed Obi and nodding to the two Masters, Bruck headed into the kitchen and grabbed up the tea pot. He quickly filled it with water and set in on the heating unit. Opening up the cabinet, he pulled out three different tins of tea. One was his favorite, one was Obi's and the other was their Master's. He measured out the proper amount of leaves into each cup and then waited for the water to heat up. Bruck was just reaching up to put the tins away again when he felt it. A rush of shock followed swiftly by a mix of sexual desire and embarrassment coming through his soulbond with Obi-Wan. Confused at what could have happened to prompt that reaction, he grew still and focused inwards to the new bond shimmering in his mind.

/Obi? You okay?/

Bruck could feel Obi-Wan's embarrassment factor rise up another notch.

/Uh...yeah, I'm fine. It's just...I mean, I *knew* that they were taking away our bunkbeds, but the sight of just...uh, one single bed in our room sorta took me by surprise anyway./

/Oh. Yeah.... I...uh, I know what you mean./

And he did. They had shared a bedroom for the past three years and in that time they had often been forced by circumstance to sleep on the same cot, bed or couch. They had fought over getting their fair share of the space and blankets some of the times and had gratefully cuddled together for warmth on one memorable occasion, but this was different. They hadn't been bonded mates *then*. And now they were.

Before the soulbond, the idea of Obi-Wan climbing into bed would have left him feeling mostly indifferent unless there was a specific reason that he wanted Obi awake or that he wished that it was he himself going to sleep instead. With the soulbond firmly in place, the idea of Obi-Wan climbing into bed created a fluttery feeling in the pit of his stomach and he wasn't sure if he wanted to climb in after him so that he could wrap himself around those creamy skin covered muscles or if he wanted to run off and hide somewhere.

The shrill whistle of the tea pot signaling that the water had reached the optimum temperature yanked him out of his thoughts and he hurriedly fixed the four cups of tea and cleaned up any sign that he had been in the kitchen. Then, he carefully carried out two of the cups to the Masters in the common room. Master Jinn was still working at the comm unit and his own Master was reviewing something on a datapad.

Retrieving Obi's and his cup from the kitchen counter, Bruck then slid through the common room and into the hallway that led to the 'fresher and the bedrooms. When he reached his and Obi's bedroom door he felt a sudden shyness, which was silly. It was his bedroom and his bondmate and he had every right to both of them. Still, there was a sense of newness to everything now and he was at once excited and a bit cautious of it all.

/You might as well come in, Bruck. I can feel you staring a hole through the door from here./

Hearing Obi's voice suddenly echo inside his head startled him for a second and he felt himself blush once more. Then he felt idiotic standing around blushing at everything and he almost aggressively palmed open the door and stepped in. Only to stop again and stare in open mouthed astonishment at their new bed. Obi-Wan just sat on the edge of it grinning at him in rueful agreement.

"Huge, isn't it?"

Bruck worked his jaw for a moment before he could force words out.

"It's as big as our Masters! How in all the Sith Hell's did they get it in *here*?"

Obi-Wan shook his head and shrugged, a large grin on his face.

"I have no idea."

Stepping over to the edge of the new bed, Bruck handed Obi his cup of tea even as he turned around and took in the new look of their bedroom. The room was a typical Padawan's room and as such, it was smaller than the Master's bedroom. There was the usual closet, which they shared. The only concessions that were made for the fact that there were *two* Padawans in a room only meant for one had been the bunkbeds and an extra desk. The bunkbeds were gone and the two desks had been pushed a lot closer together to make room for the new bed. As it was, the bed was so large that there was only about five feet of space between it and the twin desks and only three and a half feet between the bottom edge of it and the wall with the closet. The other two walls had the bed itself pushed up against it.

Walking around the edge of the new bed, Bruck came close to tripping over Obi's boots. Leaning over to put his tea cup down on one of the desks, he picked up the boots and glared at his bondmate. Obi grimaced and gestured to the boots with his good arm.

"Sorry about that. I had to use the Force just to unbuckle them, but my fine manipulation of the Force isn't my strong suit. I tried to levitate them to the closet, but I dropped them halfway there."

His irritation faded away as he pictured Obi-Wan trying to levitate his boots to the closet and some part of him wished he had been here to see it. Not because he dropped them and opened the door for some teasing, but because when Obi was concentrating hard on something he usually stuck just the tip of his pink tongue out of his mouth, which was, in Bruck's humble opinion, absolutely adorable. Trying to clear his head of the mental image from his mind, Bruck turned to put his bondmate's boots away.

When he turned back, it was in time to watch Obi-Wan shift over to stretch out across there bed. Halfway through the movement, he paused and turned guileless jewel bright green eyes up at him.

"Um, Bruck? Which side of the bed do you want? The side by the door or the side by the wall?"

And with those words, Bruck could clearly picture them lying in bed naked together, their bodies entwined intimately and flushed with pleasure as they slowly kissed and petted each other. Sudden heat flared low in his belly and he felt delightfully lightheaded. He had to swallow heavily before he could answer the question, and when he did, his voice was oddly husky.

"The wall. I'll sleep closer to the wall."

Something in his voice or flowing across the bond must have alerted Obi-Wan to the track his thoughts had taken for his eyes widened in mild surprise before becoming heavy lidded as his expression slid into a sultry gaze. Not really thinking about it, Bruck sat down on the edge of the bed closest to him and quickly began to unbuckle his own boots. Yanking them off as fast as he could, he absently tossed them into the closet and then turned over onto his hands and knees. He crawled up the bed between Obi-Wan and the wall until his head was on the same level with Obi's and then he laid down next to his bondmate, sprawled out on his stomach.

Bruck watched with fascination as the pink tip of Obi's tongue darted out and licked along his bottom lip, wetting it. He could feel the heat from Obi's body as it radiated outward to wash over his own in seductive waves. He wanted to reach out and run his fingers through the red-gold spikes of his bondmate's hair to see if it was as silky soft as it looked and he wanted to bury his nose into the crook of Obi's neck and inhale his warm musky scent until it filled him up.

All at once, Bruck remembered that Obi-Wan could feel his emotions and hear his thoughts through the bond since he wasn't even trying to shield it, in fact, he didn't know *how* to shield it yet. Suddenly, he felt shy and awkward all over again and he gazed down at the soft tan blanket covering their bed.

"Bruck? Can I...can I kiss you?"

The question was so unexpected that he forgot all about being shy and his head whipped up to stare in surprise at Obi-Wan. Slowly, his brain processed the true meaning behind his bondmate's words and he couldn't think of anything else in the entire Galaxy that he would rather do than kiss those lush lips.

"Yeah. I.... I'd like that."

Pushing himself up on his elbows, Bruck scooted a bit closer to Obi-Wan so that their sides were pressed together from chest to ankle. Twisting his upper body so that he was angled to face the other Padawan, Bruck gave in to his earlier urge and reached out with one hand. He traced a gentle line down the side of Obi-Wan's face. His breath caught in his throat at the soft smoothness of that peaches and cream skin even as he realized that he was already addicted to touching his bondmate. No matter how long a life they lived, he'd never get enough. Drawing his fingers across the jaw and up around his cheek again, Obi-Wan leaned into his touch with a hum of happiness.

A quick smile flashed across his face at Obi's reaction, but he wanted more. Leaning down slowly enough to give his bondmate time to turn his head in case he changed his mind, Bruck brushed his lips lightly against Obi-Wan's. The other Padawan gasped slightly at the tingling and delightful touch of lip against lip and Bruck was about to pull back. He was stopped, however, when Obi-Wan suddenly returned the kiss, pressing his own lips tighter against Bruck's before sucking his bottom lip in between his own and nibbling on it gently. A jolt of sizzling pleasure raced from Bruck's captured bottom lip, down his spine and directly into his groin. He was suddenly keenly aware of the newly implanted contraceptive which rested just under the skin low in his abdomen.

Pressing his hand more firmly against the side of Obi-Wan's face, Bruck moaned into the kiss. Obi-Wan reached up with his uninjured arm and lightly grasped onto the back of Bruck's neck even as he tilted his own head slightly. Before Bruck knew what was happening, Obi deepened their kiss by parting his lips and licking a warm wet path along Bruck's lip. He shivered at the delightful sensation and opened up to his bondmate, willing to follow where ever Obi-Wan chose to lead him.

*

A wash of pure carnal pleasure flooded through his training bond with Obi-Wan as Qui-Gon finally admitted defeat. There was no way that he could concentrate on answering his mail while jolts of sexual energy and random images of a well kissed Bruck Chun kept leaking into his mind. With a sigh, he turned off of the comm unit and looked up only to see his own bondmate scowling silently in the general direction of the boy's bedroom. Qui-Gon could feel Mace's mild frustration, so he could only assume that Bruck was assaulting *his* mind with the same things that Obi-Wan was sending him.

"It's started all ready."

Mace grunted and shifted in his seat.

"I think we are going to have to work with them on shielding. I don't mind if a *little* bit filtered through the shields, but this...this is a bit difficult to deal with."

Qui-Gon frowned even as he nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. And hiding out in the common room just doesn't work for us."

Mace flashed him a quick grin in reference to their Padawans' habit of sleeping in the common room when their own lovemaking got a bit boisterous and loud. The only difference was, he and Mace were able to shield the boys from the emotions and sensations. It was only the pure physical sounds that the boys were exposed to. This time might be a bit of a turn around, but they were being bombarded with emotions and thoughts, not noise.

"I almost feel bad about doing this, but..."

Qui-Gon felt a brief flare of confusion as he watched his life long lover stand up and walk down the hallway. Then he heard Mace banging on the boy's bedroom door and a simultaneous flood of shock and embarrassment through his training bond with Obi-Wan.

"It's almost time for third meal. I thought that you both might want to eat in the main Dinning Hall since it's been almost two weeks since either of you were able to spend any time with your friends."

Qui-Gon grinned. It was a brilliant plan and he was never more proud of his amazing and compassionate mate. He had given a perfect excuse for interrupting the boys and thus saving them both from having to deal with the boy's shoddy shielding while at the same time sparring their feelings and preventing even more embarrassment than they felt at being interrupted. Diplomacy in action never failed to make Qui-Gon smile.

*

Obi-Wan found it a lot easier to walk with Bruck gliding along next to him and providing extra support by holding onto his good arm and buoying him up with the Force. The odd thing was, before the soulbond, Obi-Wan wouldn't have asked Bruck for the help and Bruck wouldn't have offered. Now it seemed quite normal. He wasn't even embarrassed by the few odd looks they received from the other Jedi they passed along the way to the Dinning Hall. In fact, after having Master Windu knock on their bedroom door while they were kissing, Obi-Wan didn't think anything would ever be more embarrassing than *that*.

/Oh, I don't know. He could've opened the door and *saw* us kissing./

Obi-Wan glanced over at his bondmate at *that* thought and shuddered involuntarily. Not that he believed that Master Windu would be anything but polite and understanding, but this whole thing was still too new. He was still trying to sort his way through everything and this intense level of romantic intimacy and sexual desire that he felt for Bruck was extremely personal. He was still exploring and learning how his own feelings and needs worked and so was Bruck. Maybe after some time had passed they would feel more comfortable sharing this amazing discovery with others, but for now it was deeply private.

As if in response to his thoughts, a wave of understanding, agreement and affection flooded his bond with Bruck. Smiling over at the other Padawan, he sent a return wave of his own growing affection and gratitude. Despite the residual ache lingering in his shoulder and the stiffness in his leg from where the gash had torn into the muscle itself, Obi-Wan felt warm and content in a way that he never had before. He was riding on a high from a steady mixture of hormones and happiness. Even though their bedroom adventure had been cut short on account of it being time for third meal, Obi-Wan was beside himself with joy over the fact that he had kissed Bruck. And, by all the little gods, that kiss had been good. *Very* good.

His mind happily replaying the feel of his bondmate's fingers brushing along his cheek and the taste of that soft full bottom lip as he nibbled on it, Obi-Wan was only vaguely aware of Bruck guiding him around the last corner and into the hallway that led them directly to the doors of the Dinning Hall. It was a high traffic area, but Obi-Wan just smiled dreamily at the other Jedi that passed them. It wasn't until a jolt of anxiety along his bond with Bruck shook him out of his thoughts that he realized that Garen was heading directly for them.

"Obi-Wan! Wait up!"

They both stopped and waited for the taller Padawan. Obi-Wan was just about to call out to his friend when a deluge of raw emotion washed through the soulbond. Jealousy, anxiety, embarrassment, and that undefinable desire to be elsewhere. Anywhere else. Confused, Obi-Wan glanced over at Bruck and he saw the expression that he had often read as meaning that Bruck was in an arrogant and self-important mood. Which was even more confusing since it was conflicting with what he was feeling wash over him from their empathic connection. Glancing from Bruck to Garen and then back to Bruck again, Obi-Wan had a sudden flash of insight. That expression which had always intimidated him and upset him into anger and frustration was merely a mask. Bruck *really* didn't think he was so much better than everyone else, if fact, he felt just the opposite. That expression was more in the nature of a defense mechanism. Suddenly, a hundred little things clicked into place in his mind and he felt almost dizzy at the change in his world view.

Twisting his arm slightly, Obi-Wan angled his hand until he could grab Bruck's and then he entwined their fingers together. Bruck startled slightly and Obi-Wan sent him a wave of reassurance and affection through the soulbond.

/Don't worry about it. I'm here./

Turning his head to watch as Garen finally reached them, Obi-Wan smiled at his friend. Dimly, Obi-Wan could feel the throb of relief that echoed along his friendship bond with Garen and he had only a brief second to marvel at how much deeper and stronger his new bond with Bruck was compared to the years old bond he had with Garen. Then Garen was babbling at him and he had to focus to keep up.

"Oh, thank the Force you're okay, Obi. I just got back on Coruscant early yesterday afternoon and I didn't even hear about your accident until this morning. I saw Shontis and she told me all about it, although I have to tell you that it was kinda hard to figure out what she was saying. One moment she was angry about it and then she was almost in tears and then she was all indifferent. From the way she told it, I expected to find you on death's door, but when I commed the Healers Center they told me that you had been released back to your quarters. And well,...I'm just glad to see you up and around looking fairly...well, alive."

The entire time that Garen had been babbling out his anxiety and worry over him, Obi-Wan noticed that he kept flashing quick confused glances at Bruck. It was obvious that he didn't know about their soulbond and he couldn't understand why they would be together when they weren't on assignment, studying, or training together at the order of their Masters. For his part, Bruck was radiating pulses of confusion, mild amusement and astonishment. Obi-Wan suddenly realized that Bruck had never heard Garen say so much all at once. The two other Padawans didn't really get along and only spoke when they had to or when they were arguing. But Obi-Wan decided that he could figure out what to do about that later, right now he felt that he owed it to his long time friend to tell him what had really happened.

"It's okay, Garen. I'm not sure what it was that Shontis told you, but I'll be honest. I almost *did* die. If it hadn't have been for Bruck and Crey'lin Cumarti, I would have died. They saved me."

Garen's eyes got wide at that and he tilted his head to stare at Bruck in amazement. Obi-Wan could feel Bruck's discomfort at Garen's frank gaze and obvious disbelief, so he broke the tension by thrusting his chin towards the doors leading into the Dinning Hall.

"Come on. Let's go get some food and I'll tell you about it. Besides, standing around on my leg is starting to hurt. I want to sit down again."

Both Bruck and Garen flushed at that and they both agreed quickly. Turning to continue down the corridor, Obi-Wan found himself placed firmly between the two as a sort of buffer zone. He didn't really mind. It was a start, anyway.

"So. What happened. I heard that you fell off of the side of a mountain."

Obi-Wan was about to answer when a growl from Bruck stopped him.

"It's more like he was pushed of the edge of a cliff face."

Obi-Wan's head snapped around to stare in shock at Bruck. His bondmate was unrepentant in his accusation.

"I know that you forgive her and that you're totally okay with what happened, Obi. I can accept that, but I'm not ready to do that yet. She *pushed* you away from her and you *fell*. You almost *died*, Obi."

"What!?"

Whipping his head back to face Garen, Obi-Wan took in the stunned expression on his friend's face and tried to explain.

"It was an accident. Shontis lost her balance while we were crossing a ridge of rock bordering a deep ravine. I tried to grab her and steady her, but then I toppled off the edge and fell to the floor of the ravine."

He shrugged to play down Shontis' part in the whole mess. He really didn't blame her. And despite the fact that he had been, and still was in some respects, in pain and even taking into account that he had come frighteningly close to death, he wasn't sorry it had happened. It he could go back in time and change things, he wasn't sure he would want to. If he did, then this soulbond with Bruck wouldn't exist and he didn't think he'd want to go through life without it now that he had it. Instead, he focused on the rescue efforts of Bruck and Crey'lin.

"Once they realized what had happened, Bruck and Crey'lin risked their own necks by scaling down the cliff face to reach me. When they found me, they knew that I was close to dying."

By that time, they had reached the doors to the Dinning Hall. Garen leaned forward and pulled open the door, then held it while Bruck helped Obi-Wan through. His leg was really starting to bother him now. Even though the torn muscle had been repaired, it was very stiff and sore. It didn't want to carry the weight of his body, nor did it want to flex and stretch with every step. Once they were all in the Dinning Hall, they turned towards the line of Jedi that were getting their food from the cooks.

"Besides a few bad bumps and bruises, my leg had been torn open by something on the way down and I was bleeding heavily. According to our Masters, when they got to us and were able to examine me in our ship's medi-unit, I almost didn't have enough blood left to stay alive. Which is a scary thought."

They came to the place where the clean food trays were stacked. Garen grabbed one and Bruck grabbed two. He placed both his and Obi-Wan's tray side by side on the metal railings set along in front of the serving counters. Even as Obi-Wan and Garen continued to talk, Bruck reached out and grabbed various dishes and plates for both himself and for Obi-Wan.

"That's amazing. How did they keep you from passing into the Force if you were laying there bleeding to death?"

Obi-Wan smiled and couldn't help but squeeze the hand that was still entwined with his own. A wash of warm soothing emotion rippled over him through the soulbond and he returned it along with a gentle Force caress over Bruck's cheek.

"Crey'lin is the one who stopped the bleeding on my leg. He used copper binding clips to seal the worst of it and then practically taped me together with mini bacta patches."

Garen's eyes were wide with amazement.

"Wow."

Obi-Wan nodded his head in agreement.

"Yeah. The only problem was, my life-spark was already slipping into the Force. That's when Bruck saved me. He used the Force to bind us together in order to use his own life-spark to keep mine from becoming one with the Force."

A ripple of deep shock and respect flooded through his friendship bond with Garen.

"But...but...he could've ended up being dragged into the Force *with* you if it didn't work."

A cold feeling washed over Obi-Wan at that. He had never even considered that aspect of it before. He didn't have time to formulate any type of response though, because Bruck spoke up with an elegant shrug of his shoulders and a soft grin.

"I know, but I trusted Crey'lin to get the bleeding stopped. If he hadn't, then both of us would probably be one with the Force right now."

Still in shock and feeling cold at the new knowledge that his bondmate came so close to death, Obi-Wan was hit with a surge of protectiveness for Bruck. That was a whole new feeling for him. He had felt protective of his Master and even for Garen and Bant at various times, but he generally assumed that other Jedi were more than capable of taking care of themselves. But this was different, this was his *bondmate* that they were talking about. And with another little flash of insight, Obi-Wan realized that he would *always* feel protective of Bruck from now on.

"Speaking of Crey'lin, there he is over at that table. Why don't we go sit with him? I haven't seen him since we were rescued from the Enduron Laboris and I want to talk with him."

Obi-Wan and Garen could only nod in silent agreement to that. Bruck paused a quick moment while trying to work out how to carry two trays and support Obi-Wan when he finally grimaced and turned to face Garen.

"Um...could you carry Obi's tray? That way I can help him walk over to the table. His leg is still sort of messed up and walking isn't easy for him."

Obi-Wan blushed faintly and tried to disengage from Bruck.

"I can do it."

Garen and Bruck both leveled stern glares at him even as Garen calmly and deliberately reached out and pulled Obi-Wan's tray over in front of him. Using one hand to hold his own and the other to grab Obi-Wan's, Garen took the matter out of his hands.

"Don't be ridiculous, Obi. Of course, I can carry your tray. You'd do it for me if I needed an extra hand, right?"

And with that, the three of them turned to head over towards the shy Mimbanite Padawan that Bruck was hoping considered him to be a friend as much as he thought of Crey'lin as one.

*

Padawan Shontis pushed open the door to the Dinning Hall lost in her own swirling thoughts. She had the hood of her cloak pulled down far over her face, a silent and always respected indication that she wished to be ignored and left to her own devises. She was so caught up in the rolling waves of her own mind that if it hadn't been for the ripple of Force that nudged her mind, she wouldn't have noticed the four boys sitting together at a far table.

Stepping back into a somewhat secluded corner, Shontis looked over at where the younger Padawan, Garen, sat with Obi-Wan, Bruck and Crey'lin. Fighting the urge to scowl, she instead, tucked her hands deep into the sleeves of her outer robe and clenched them into fists, the long thick nails digging into the flesh of her palms. The shimmering green-gray scales that coated her skin took on a deeper gray and dark green tone as she flushed with frustration and a mixture of guilt and anger.

When she had run into Garen earlier, she had tried to give him her version of the events that had taken place during the Enduron Laboris. She had told the younger Padawan how Obi-Wan had been clumsy and careless, how by not heeding her advice, it was only sheer luck that Bruck and Crey'lin had been even able to help Garen's friend. She had taken care to stress that it was only because she had placed a distress call to their Masters, thereby generously sacrificing her own passing grade on the trial, that Obi-Wan had been saved.

However, as she watched him sitting there, laughing and smiling with the three other Padawans that had actually been there, she knew deep down inside that they were twisting the tale around and around so that it was *she* who was the bad guy. Drowning in a tide of loneliness and frustration, she was forced to admit that they hadn't liked her from the start of that adventure. They had ignored her orders and rolled their eyes behind her back. She was the oldest of them, so it was only right that she be in charge and yet they had stubbornly refused to see that. The disaster was *not* her fault, but she was sure they were painting a horrid picture of her in the minds of everyone they came across. Growing angry at their lack of respect and a bit fearful that people might believe them, Shontis silently seethed.

Suddenly, she was jostled from behind and she whipped her head around to see who would dare disturb her when her raised hood indicated her need for solitude. It was an older Initiate and the child was staring at her wide-eyed before she suddenly turned and dashed away. Grimacing, Shontis felt her appetite slip away and she whirled around and stomped back out of the Dinning Hall. She had more important things to do than eat. She needed to figure out what she was going to do about the rumors that those three Padawans were obviously spreading about her.

She never noticed the cold dark swirls of Force that hovered about her.

*

Mace looked up from the comm unit where he was reading through a message sent to him by his and Qui-Gon's long time friend Finis Valorum. While he was fascinated by Finis' report that the people of the Lytton sector which he represented in the Senate were pushing for him to run for the office of Supreme Chancellor, the wave of emotion that washed over his training bond with Bruck was too strong to block out.

A flicker of confusion crossed his face before the habitual Jedi mask of complete serenity descended once again.

/Love? What is it?/

Mace sent a tendril of warm Force energy to his heartmate and shrugged slightly.

/I'm not certain. Bruck just projected a conflicting surge of mixed emotion, but I don't know what was the cause of it./

/Oh?/

Mace frowned slightly as he slowly picked apart the different feelings that had been contained in that one burst of emotion.

/Frustration. Relief. Anxiety. Understanding. Affection and worry. Mostly frustration. His thoughts seem to be centered on Obi-Wan./

Glancing over at his lover, he watched as Qui-Gon's eyes unfocused slightly while he probed his own Padawans mind through their training bond. Slowly, an amused grin spread across those soft lips he loved to kiss.

/It seems that the days activities were a bit too much for my recovering Padawan. Obi-Wan has fallen asleep. I guess that puts a bit of a crimp in any plans that Bruck might have had for tonight./

Suddenly, Bruck came back out of the kitchen where he had been making them all some tea. He walked over and handed Mace his cup and then walked over to give Qui-Gon his. After that, he collected his own and sat down on the couch with a dejected sigh and picked up his datapad. Radiating pulses of frustration and mild self-pity, Bruck began to review his notes for his mathematics class.

Biting his lip to keep from chuckling at his Padawan's melodrama, he exchanged a wash of amusement with his own bondmate. There was also a certain amount of relief mixed in there as well. They hadn't had a chance to work with the boys on their shielding yet. Qui-Gon was going to talk to Obi-Wan after his physical therapy tomorrow afternoon and he himself had planned on talking to Bruck before the boy had to leave for his scheduled classes.

Not that either he or Qui-Gon were angry or upset with their Padawans. Far from it. Managing multiple bonds of varying intensities was a learned skill. At first, it was difficult to manipulate the different bonds in different ways all at once. Simultaneously shielding all other bonds while opening a single one was difficult. And the more bonds one had to deal with, the harder it was to do properly. After a while of being actively conscious of and purposely controlling the various bonds, it became second nature and easy to do with little or no effort needed.

He had no doubt that both Bruck and Obi-Wan would be able to master this new set of skills with time and effort. They were both bright and intelligent boys and their grasp of mental skills were growing by leaps and bounds as it was. And while he had not used his slight gift at precognition to view either Padawan's future in this respect, Mace was certain that by the time that Obi-Wan and Bruck were his age that they would both enjoy numerous bonds with a wide variety of Jedi.

Sending a soothing wave of calm and compassion to his Padawan, Mace turned his attention back to the letter from Senator Valorum of the Lytton sector.

*Chapter Five*

Bruck awoke to the living dream which was his still sleeping bondmate. He was laying flat on his back with Obi-Wan sprawled over top of him with only twin pairs of thin linen pants to separate them. The silky red-gold fluff of his bonded's hair tickled his chin where Obi-Wan had tucked his head between his shoulder and neck. The smooth bare skin of Obi-Wan's chest was pressed warmly against his own even as his arms were gently wrapped around the smaller boy on top of him. Obi-Wan's sore leg was laying along the outside of his, while the other leg was nestled firmly between both of his own. And the solid ridge of flesh against his hip practically branded him with the heat of Obi-Wan's desire. His own erection was throbbing happily in the crease of his bondmate's leg and groin.

Focusing on the telepathic connection to Obi-Wan, Bruck found his mind swirling with dream-state images complete with sound effects. Obi-Wan was dreaming about making love to him. They were in a room that looked oddly similar to a datapad and Bruck wasn't sure where that particular idea came from, but it was the activities of himself and Obi-Wan *in* that room that drew his attention.

As in reality, he was lying flat on his back with Obi-Wan over top of him. Unlike reality, in the dream, Obi-Wan was thrusting his cock deep into his own body even as the Dream-Bruck wrapped his legs around the Dream-Obi-Wan and moaned in obvious pleasure. In the distance, he could hear what sounded like ocean waves breaking on a beach and a steady thumping rhythm which he assumed was his bondmate's heartbeat. Even though the two dream-people were engaging in a deep kiss, he could clearly hear Obi-Wan's voice as he chanted, 'Bruck, oh Bruck' over and over again.

As these images and sensations twirled through his sleepy mind, Bruck was slammed with a wall of pure unadulterated lust and he involuntarily thrust his erection up against his sleeping and dreaming bondmate. In response, Obi-Wan groaned in his sleep and grinded his own hips against Bruck. Gasping, Bruck reached up with one hand and trailed it through his bondmate's silky hair.

"Obi, wake up."

Instead of waking up, Obi-Wan merely pressed the back of his head slightly against Bruck's hand and continued to grind his hips against Bruck. Gasping at the flare of pleasure those small movements caused, Bruck tried again, his voice tinged with a hint of desperation.

"Oh, by the Force, *please* Obi. Wake up!"

"Hmmm?"

The soft hum from Obi-Wan vibrated against his chest and throat and Bruck moaned at the sheer exoticness of the sensation. His fingers brushed against his bondmate's Padawan braid and he tugged on it lightly in the hopes that it would pull Obi-Wan awake. While he didn't mind engaging in a hot and heavy petting session with his, apparently soon-to-be lover, he really didn't want it to happen when one of them was asleep.

"Obi! Oooo...Obi, *please*. Oh...oh that's nice. Yeah.... Obi! Wake up, *please*."

Torn between despair that this would be all over before the red haired Padawan woke up and the need to grab onto Obi's hips and thrust his erection against that warm heavy body, Bruck almost sobbed with relief when that red-gold crown of hair lifted up to show Bruck his bondmate's beautiful, if sleepy, face.

"Bruck?"

Shivering with desire and filled with affection that was slowly turning into the beginnings of love, Bruck gasped even as he lightly tugged Obi-Wan's face closer to his by the Padawan braid.

"Gods! *Please*, Obi...just kiss me already."

Sweet awareness washed away the sleep from those jewel bright green eyes even as an expression of carnal pleasure and need swept over Obi-Wan's fine boned features. Leaning down, Bruck's lips were caught in a consuming kiss that swiftly deepened into a warm wet feast of lips and tongues. The slow lazy grinding of Obi-Wan's hips suddenly became deliberate thrusts of his erection and Bruck couldn't help but writhe under his bondmate's body.

The hand on Obi-Wan's braid slid back to tangle in the short tufts of red-gold silk even as his other hand began to trace aimless circles over Obi-Wan's back. Bruck could feel the unreal quality of the dream fade from their bond only to be replaced with a flood of very real emotions and sensations. His bondmate's desire and pleasure sizzled through his mind even as his own sizzled through his body.

Obi-Wan's uninjured arm shifted and then strong fingers were grasping onto his shoulder as Obi-Wan thrust even harder against his hip. Feeling his bottom lip being pulled into his lover's warm wet mouth and get nibbled on, Bruck wiggled even more under Obi-Wan and spread his legs wider, lifting one leg up and wrapping it around his lover's uninjured the hip and leg. The sudden shift in their bodies caused his erection to brush against it's mate and a jolt of mindbending pleasure tore through both of them simultaneously. Gasping in delighted shock, they broke their kiss to stare into each other's eyes.

"Oh Force! Do that again!"

His own voice was practically unrecognizable to his ears with it's breathless and husky timbre.

"Yes. Oh, Bruck..."

Obi-Wan leaned his head down and recaptured Bruck's mouth in another of those hungry kisses even as his hands trailed down Obi-Wan's body until the reached his bondmate's hips. Mindless to everything but the pleasure and desire that pulsed back and forth between them, Bruck's hands began to rub and squeeze the firm round mounds of his lover's arse even as he encouraged Obi-Wan to thrust against him harder and faster.

Tight heat gathered low in his belly and he felt that the only thing keeping him from flying off of their bed was the welcome and delightful weight of his lover's body pressing into him. Fractured bits of images left over from Obi-Wan's dream fluttered through his mind and he didn't even think about it, he simply reached further down with the hand on the side of Obi-Wan's body that had the healing leg and tugged gently on the thin material of his sleeping pants. Breaking the kiss and leaning slightly, Obi-Wan didn't argue, he just lifted it up slightly and without hesitating, Bruck slid his own leg under it so that both of Obi-Wan's legs were between both of his. This move shifted Obi-Wan's body even more and cradled his lower body directly between Bruck's hips, aligning their erections even further. They both gasped at the amazing sensation even as Bruck wrapped *that* leg around his bondmate's body as well.

The advantage to this new position became obvious to both of them immediately as Bruck now had the leverage to thrust back at Obi-Wan and join in the rhythm that the older boy had created. The heat in Bruck's belly burned even hotter and a wonderful pressure swirled inward through his abdomen even as he felt as if he was about to explode out across the room. His mind pulsed with his bondmate's pleasure and his erection throbbed in time to the sensations in his head. Heart racing and breath panting, Bruck threw back his head and moaned his lover's name.

"Oooobiiiii!"

Shivers tingled along his skin and his muscles all flexed at once in a spasm of overwhelming pleasure. Then he was flying, his only connection to reality the flashing pleasure and love flooding over the soulbond and the swirling tendrils of Force that bathed him in warm waves. Vaguely, he heard his own name being cried out in the most beautiful voice he had ever heard, but he was too busy drifting into unconsciousness to be certain.

*

A jolting blast of raw carnal need flooded his mind and slammed him into full awareness. Gasping for air into suddenly starving lungs, the sound of Qui-Gon moaning with desire next to him made him turn his head just in time to see those beloved blue eyes flutter open to stare at him with hunger. His cock felt hot and heavy against his belly and his balls were tight. Before he could form any words to speak, another wave of sexual pleasure washed over him, trying to drown him with it's power.

"The boys. Not shielding."

Qui-Gon's voice was husky with promise and Mace didn't need to be told that his bondmate was being bombarded through his training bond with Obi-Wan to know that it was true. His own training bond with Bruck practically *throbbed* with lust.

Struggling to raise and strengthen his own mental shields to block out the images and sensations as best as he could, Mace was both delighted and surprised when his lover flashed him a cheeky grin, mumbled something about not wasting a good thing when it was pressed against his thigh, and then slid down under the covers. A heartbeat later his erection was engulfed in Qui-Gon's warm wet mouth and he found that he had absolutely no desire to argue with his bondmate's logic. Instead, he reached down and buried his hands into that silky mane of silver-brown hair and moaned his pleasure.

*

*Chapter Six*

Obi-Wan stood under the large full body air-dryer with his eyes closed tiredly. The warm buffeting air felt good against his skin as it evaporated the water dripping down his body, but it couldn't soothe his aching muscles. He was surprised at just how tired and sore he was. Not that he had been under the illusion that physical therapy would be *easy*, but he hadn't realized that if would be so difficult.

The first thing that had led to his underestimating the condition he'd end up in was when his Master had led him to the Temple pool instead of one of the gyms. Obi-Wan had smiled and figured that he'd get to enjoy a nice relaxing swim. Knight Healer Ju'ang Tak had disabused him of that notion pretty quickly. She was a very friendly, enthusiastic and encouraging sadist. Obi-Wan found himself hovering between really really liking her and being really really afraid of her.

Healer Tak had started out very slowly and gently with Obi-Wan by explaining just what it was they were going to do. First, she stressed that they would start exercising his injured leg in the pool, not his shoulder, and she wanted to get a clear idea of what his current range of motion was. Then, she would assign him certain specific exercises that he needed to perform for a specified number of repetitions.

It really sounded simple. Obi-Wan took a little bit of relief in that water resistance was not as heavy as weight resistance. However, he forgot that water resistance was constant, where with weight resistance it was only for certain movements since gravity only worked one way. So what had started out as a nice little workout had ended up being a difficult and exhausting regimen. Healer Tak told him it only seemed so hard because he was using an injured leg to do the work and Obi-Wan was certain that it *would* be easier with his uninjured leg...but not by *that* much.

The air-dryer clicked off and pulled Obi-Wan out of his swirling thoughts. With a sigh that changed into a groan part way through, he limped over to the locker where his clothing was stored. Following Knight Healer Ju'ang Tak's orders, Obi-Wan merely struggled to get on his leggings and his boots. Leaving the tunics and robes off, he simply folded them as best as he could with only one arm and grabbed them up.

Stepping out of the Padawan Changing Area, Obi-Wan looked around the main pool for his Master. He spotted Qui-Gon Jinn and Healer Ju'ang Tak over on the far side of the cavernous room near the archway that led towards the massage rooms. Mindful of the wet and slippery floor, Obi-Wan made his slow and steady way across the room. Finally, he reached the two older Jedi that were waiting for him.

"Okay, Padawan. As I was telling your Master, your leg will heal just fine. You did very well during the movement and strength excersises. I believe that you will only require a few more sessions here at the pool before we can advance your physical therapy to the gym."

Obi-Wan flashed a bright grin at the blue robed Healer even as he tipped his head down in a mini bow. It wasn't that he didn't *like* her, but the faster he completed his physical therapy, the faster he and his Master could be cleared for the duty roister again. He didn't enjoy the idea that he was holding his Master back.

"Now, I want to take a look at your shoulder. Why don't we find an empty massage room and take off the binding holding your arm still so I can see it for myself?"

Obi-Wan nodded again and then followed behind his Master and the Healer. It didn't take them long to find an unused massage room. Once inside, Healer Ju'ang Tak gestured for him to sit up on the table. Qui-Gon stepped over and took the bundle of his tunics and robes.

"I'll hold these for you Obi-Wan. You just focus on what Healer Tak tells you, okay?"

"Yes, Master. Thank you."

Qui-Gon smiled at him and reached out with one large hand to ruffle the red-gold silky fluff of Obi-Wan's brush cut hair. Then he stepped back out of the way as Healer Tak began to unwind the binding that held his injured arm immobile. As she carefully and slowly directed his arm in a series small movements, Obi-Wan could feel the gentle pressure of her fingers as they explored his muscle movements as well as the warm tingles washing through his flesh as she used to Force to examine him. Finally she let go of his arm and patted the side of the padded table, even as she walked over to a small cabinet set up along the far wall.

"Lay down Obi-Wan. Your arm is still healing and it isn't ready to deal with the strain of physical therapy, but it soon will be. Right now, I'm going to give you a massage over the area. This will prevent the muscles and tendons from becoming too stiff and tight and it will help direct the stream of Healing Force that I'm going to send into the area."

Carefully, Obi-Wan shifted his body until he could stretch out belly down on the massage table. It only took a few quick wiggles until he found the most comfortable position. Then, while the Healer was still speaking to him, he heard a bottle being opened and smelled the soothing scent of mint fill the small room.

The swishing of robes whirled passed him and Obi-Wan felt the first warm tingles of Force wash over his shoulder and sink into his skin. Soon after, strong supple fingers stroked gently along his injured arm with long soothing motions, leaving a wet trail of massage oil that was somehow simultaneously hot and cool against his flesh.

The exhaustion caused by his earlier efforts in the pool combined with the warm rhythmic strokes that petted his arm and the gentle soothing waves of Force to make Obi-Wan very sleepy. Slowly, his green eyes began to close and he felt his mind start to drift. Like the beginnings of a dream, Obi-Wan could feel the loving concern and affection for him pulse over his training bond with Qui-Gon. He grinned sleepily and returned his own respect and affection to his Master in a warm pulse of Force over the bond. Then, his thoughts drifted to Bruck and he was startled to find his bondmate feeling agitated and slightly distressed. Not sure why, Obi-Wan simply sent a warm wash of sleepy affection and contentment to him. Then, he fell asleep.

*

Bruck stared toward the front of his first class of the day without really seeing the Professor or the hologram projection that he was using as a demonstration. He was already behind in astrophysics because of his extended stay in the Healers Center even though he had done his best to keep up with his studies on his own. Unfortunately, he was far too distracted to properly follow the lesson being given. He absently made a mental note to copy a set of notes from one of his classmates for he knew that his own wouldn't be any good. His concentration levels just weren't there today.

Mind swirling, Bruck found himself mentally replaying his morning over and over again in his mind. The day had started out great. Better than great. The greatest morning in the whole history of mornings, in fact. He had awoken to a dreaming Obi-Wan Kenobi glommed to his body and things had only gotten better from there. Once both of them were awake they had enjoyed a sweaty session of deep wet kisses and heavy petting that had resulted in them both making a mess in their sleeping pants. This had only encouraged them to take things into the 'fresher where they shared a long lovely bath together. Their sudden nudity had served to invite more intimate exploration that had ended with them both coming in the other's hands.

After the two of them had finally managed to get clean and dressed, Bruck had made breakfast for both him and his bondmate as well as their Masters. At the time, the fact that both Master Jinn and his own Master had been unusually quiet hadn't sunk through the haze of mellow sated happiness that had descended upon his brain. When it came time for Obi-Wan to leave with Master Jinn to begin the first day of his physical therapy, Bruck had to push aside the urge to drag his bondmate back into their bedroom and simply spend the day holding, petting and kissing him. However, he was a Jedi and duty came first. Obi-Wan had therapy and he had classes.

It was then, when he was cleaning up from breakfast before he had to leave for his classes at the Senatorial Campus of the University of Coruscant that Master Windu turned everything upside down and inside out. His Master had very calmly and very gently suggested that perhaps it was time for he and Obi-Wan to learn how to manipulate various types of bonds at the same time. Master Windu explained that it was a learned skill to keep open and manipulate one bond while completely shielding another at the same time.

When Bruck was trapped between absolute mortification that Master Jinn and Master Windu had been privy to what had happened between he and Obi-Wan and a sort of giddy terror that he would be in trouble for inflicting those thoughts and images on his Master, he found himself being gently led out of the kitchen and into the common room. He had been pressed down into a soft chair even as his Master sat down on the one next to it.

From there, Master Windu had assured Bruck that he and Obi-Wan weren't in trouble, that everything was going to be okay. Since multiple shielding and bond manipulation was a learned skill, that meant that the incident could be prevented from happening again once enough time and effort were put into developing that skill. And while it would prove a possibly dangerous distraction on a mission, here in their own home in Temple it had merely been an interesting gift for the early morning hours. Not surprisingly, Bruck didn't find that thought to be very comforting.

A suddenly shrill ringing sound signaled the end of astrophysics class and yanked Bruck out of his swirling and miserable thoughts. Gathering his things together quickly, he shoved them down into his backpack and stood up from his desk. Filing out of the room with the other students, Bruck found himself in the middle of a milling crowd of students. A quick glance at his chrono let Bruck know that he had twenty minutes before the start of his next class, so Bruck figured that it might be best to head up to the 215th level of the University building where the student lounge was.

Normally, Bruck enjoyed wandering through the hallways of the Senatorial Campus of the University of Coruscant. It was the closest campus to the Jedi Temple so a lot of Padawans ended up taking various courses and classes there. However, there was a greater variety of students here than at the Temple itself because there were also a lot of Senator's children, the children of military leaders and the offspring of the wealthier business and corporate entrepreneurs that studied here as well. While the mixture of disparate species was common to Bruck, the wild and often flamboyant modes of dress were always fascinating.

Today, however, the brightly colored throng of students wasn't enough to distract him from his thoughts. Instead, he wandered down the hallway to the elevator on pure autopilot, his eyes seeing into the past as opposed to the present which whirled around him. As he stepped onto the elevator, he accidentally bumped into another student. The girl turned about, insult halfway out of her mouth when she realized that Bruck was Jedi. Then, her mouth snapped shut and she slid away from him. Normally, Bruck could easily brush off that type of reaction. Many of the Padawans that went to classes here had experienced the same sort of passive shunning. It wasn't personal, it was merely that the Jedi had a fierce reputation and the other students were sometimes a bit fearful, no matter how inappropriate that fear might be. Today wasn't a normal day, however, and that quiet shunning hurt.

With a sad sigh, Bruck stepped off of the elevator when it reached the 215th level. His steps dragging a bit, he slowly made his way into the student lounge. The far wall was set up with a long counter where the students could buy a variety of snack foods and drinks. The middle floor was filled with small round tables and molded plastic chairs. Against the side wall and the front wall were several groupings of more comfortable chairs and low end tables where a bunch of students could gather for gossip or discussions. And while the lounge was never loud or boisterous, there was always a low din of murmured voices hovering about.

Walking over to the counter, Bruck bought himself a bottle of jalla fruit juice and then turned around to face the room. He spotted someone wearing Padawan robes over at a far table, although he couldn't see who it was because their back was to him. Unconcerned, Bruck headed over to the other Jedi. Because of the difficulty in making friends with some of the other students, the Padawans all had the unspoken rule that you were always welcome to sit with another Jedi, even if you didn't know them at all. Stepping over to one of the empty chairs at the table, Bruck gestured to it.

"Can I sit down with you?"

The other Padawan turned to look and two deep green hands lifted up to push back the brown hood of the robe. Bruck started slightly and then smiled with the first genuine sense of pleasure since Master Windu's talk with him after breakfast. It was his friend Crey'lin Cumarti. The Mimbanite offered him a shy grin and gestured for him to sit. Quickly complying, Bruck set his backpack on the ground at his feet and opened his juice.

"It's my first day back at class, but it feels weird without Obi around."

"Oh?"

Bruck shrugged a bit self-consciously at his friend and took a brief sip of his drink.

"Well, yeah. I mean, he had physical therapy today and I had to get back to classes. No big deal really. It's just...this is the first time we've been apart for more than an hour or further than two rooms away since the accident."

Crey'lin nodded in understanding, but he stayed quiet and didn't say anything. Bruck frowned at him in thought. He was used to the Mimbanite Padawan being shy around others, but it was just the two of them at the table. They had gotten passed this stage during the Enduron Laboris. While never loud, the other boy *did* usually chat with Bruck. Tilting his head slightly, Bruck studied his friend.

"Crey'lin? Is something wrong?"

The other boy flinched slightly and opened his mouth to speak. Then, his jaw snapped shut before he said anything. An embarrassed flush rose up on his cheeks making his green skin seem brownish.

"What is it? You can talk to me, we're friends."

Crey'lin paused a moment and then turned to look at Bruck with his huge dark eyes, a serious expression on his face.

"Did you deliberately trip Shontis last night while she was practicing her katas?"

Pulling back as if slapped, Bruck felt a sudden flash of indignation and anger.

"No! I'd never do that. I didn't even *see* her last night. After Obi and I left you and Garen in the Dinning Hall, we went right back to our quarters. Obi was sore and tired. He went right to bed and I studied astrophysics in the common room with our Masters."

A huge grin burst across Crey'lin's face even as he suddenly pumped a fist into the air.

"I *knew* it. I *told* Janus that you'd never do that, but he insisted that I'd never know the truth if I didn't ask you personally."

"What?!"

Thoroughly confused, Bruck leaned both elbows on the table and fixed his friend a stern look.

"I think you need to start from the beginning and tell me what it is you're talking about. Who is Janus and why did he want you to ask me *that*?"

Crey'lin sighed and shook his head even as he leaned forward as if to share a bit of juicy gossip. His normally soft voice hissed in a whisper and Bruck had to strain to hear his friend.

"Janus is the son of Lieutenant Hiram Drayson of the Republic Fleet. He's a nice kid that just started beginning level classes this term. I met him when my Master assigned me as an assistant for one of his professors. I ran into him today in the hallway and he told me that Shontis was up here in the lounge before first class telling anyone who would listen that last night you deliberately tripped her when she was practicing katas."

Bruck was stunned. He was still upset with Shontis over Obi-Wan's accident, but he would never try to harm another person. Ever. It went against everything he'd been taught and everything he believed in. And why would Shontis say something like that?

"I don't know this Janus kid, Crey'lin. Do you think he could have misunderstood what Shontis said? Or maybe he was just making up a story to try and impress you."

Crey'lin shrugged.

"That's what I thought. That he didn't understand, I mean. I had him repeat the whole story for me and it wasn't a misunderstanding. As for if he was lying or not...I don't think so. You just said that you don't know who he is, yet he named you personally as Padawan Bruck Chun. So, it wasn't like he just said, a human Padawan with light colored hair."

Confused and upset about the entire situation, Bruck was only aware of one thing. He had to get to the bottom of this. Fast.

"Listen. Keep your ears open for any other rumors and I'll do the same. My Master and Obi-Wan can both vouch for my whereabouts yesterday, and if necessary, I'll agree to a mindscan. We also need to find out if Shontis really is telling people that I practically attacked her, or if someone else is saying it and Shontis doesn't even know what's going on."

Crey'lin nodded his head in agreement and then Bruck glanced at his chrono. A bolt of adrenaline surged through him when he noticed the time.

"Oh Sithshit! I gotta go to my next class. I'll meet you in the Dinning Hall for third meal and we'll compare notes, okay?"

"Okay."

And with that, Bruck grabbed up his backpack and took off.

*

Knight Ko-Telth shifted slightly and his short thick powerful tail brushed lightly against the kitchen counter. A quick glance to the side showed that the water for his tea wasn't warm enough, so he turned his attention back into the common room of the quarters he shared with his beloved apprentice. Shontis lay on the brightly colored rug with her knees bent and feet waving in the air. Her classwork was spread out around her as she studied and she looked to be innocence personified.

As heartwarming as the quiet scene was, it wasn't enough to dispel the worry from Ko-Telth's heart. His beautiful and wonderful Padawan was changing right before his eyes. It wasn't merely that she was growing older and wiser, but that she was growing colder and more distant. A yawning chasm had opened up between them and he wasn't quite sure how to bridge it.

He had first noticed it right after the disaster during her Enduron Laboris and had often encouraged her to talk to him about it, to share how that event had made her feel. However, she merely smiled and told him that she was fine, or she deftly changed the subject to a different topic. Ko-Telth was beginning to suspect that she *wasn't* fine and that the events that occurred had hurt her far more than anyone had even guessed at.

Unsure what would be the best way to handle this situation before it grew out of hand, Ko-Telth decided that he would go speak to Master Yarael Poof. Master Poof had been one of his instructors back when Ko-Telth was still a young Initiate and he had always held a deep respect and affection for the older Jedi. To this day, he respected Master Poof's insights and knowledge, so he often brought complex problems and matters to his old Mentor. It was his hope, that Master Poof would be able to shed some light on how he could breach this growing wall that was forming between himself and his Padawan.

part 10

*Chapter Seven*

It was several hours after midday meal, so while the sun was still high in the sky, the bright streams of sunlight entered the meditation room at an angle through the stained glass windows, creating patterned splashes of color against the far wall. Like all meditation rooms, the entire area was Force-shielded so that there were no distractions coming from outside nor would anything anyone did inside the room disturb those outside of it. It was because of these facts that the meditation rooms were almost always used to teach the Initiates the basics of meditation and Force manipulation. It was also why the Meditation Gardens were preferred by the Padawans, Knights and Masters. An Initiate might need to be shielded from distractions, but those with greater skills didn't normally seek out these rooms for the Force-shielding dimmed their connection to the Force.

It was with a slight nod in the direction of irony that Qui-Gon Jinn found himself walking into just such a room on this warm sunny day with his bondmate beside him. Somehow, he managed not to shudder as the siren-song of the Living Force slid from a loud joyous chorus to a muted and throbbing hum in his mind. He wasn't cut off completely from it, thankfully, but he could definitely tell that the Force-shielding was in effect.

Walking a bit further into the room, he turned to see his Padawan and his Padawan's own bondmate follow in behind. Bruck couldn't completely repress a mild shudder and Qui-Gon sympathized with the boy. They were both stronger with the Living Force and the dimming of it's call was unpleasant. Mace and Obi-Wan were both stronger with the Unifying Force, and as such, their reactions were different. Two sets of eyes, own deep brown and the other bright green went slightly unfocused for a brief moment and then they were fine. Qui-Gon knew, however, that once they left the Force-shielded space that the Unifying Force would flood into them both in a rush. He wouldn't be surprised if both of them experienced prescient dreams tonight as a response to this mild and temporary dimming of their grasp of the time-space flow around them.

With a sigh, Qui-Gon peeled off his outer robe and hung it neatly on a hook by the door. He waited until Obi-Wan and Bruck had followed suit and then he pointed to a stack of woven rush mats stored neatly in the corner.

"Boys, go and grab enough mats for all of us. Bring them to the center of the room."

The two Padawans looked over and nodded. In a matter of moments, they had the mats arranged to Qui-Gon's satisfaction. When each of them kneeled down on their respective mat, they were each at one of the four cardinal points with Qui-Gon and Mace facing each other and their Padawans between them on either side. With a slight nod, Qui-Gon indicated for Mace to start them all off.

"Manipulating multiple bonds is a skill, and one that is fairly easy to learn. Once the basics are truly understood, than it is merely a matter of practice to determine mastery. Most Jedi find that it helps to visualize the bonds in one's mind. To see them with their Force sense."

Qui-Gon smiled a bit ruefully at that and gestured around the room vaguely.

"That is very true. We're working in here at first so that you don't accidentally broadcast your thoughts and feelings to any Force sensitive who happens to wander by. Just keep in mind that this room *is* Force-shielded so that means that what you visualize with your Force sense in here will be more intense elsewhere."

It was then that Mace took charge once again.

"Right now we want you both to settle yourself into trance states. Then, focus your Force sense inward to your bonds. Notice what they look like. Their color. Their texture. Tell us what you see."

Obediently, both Obi-Wan and Bruck slid their eyes shut and slowed their breathing. As the minutes slid by, Qui-Gon could feel Obi-Wan drift deeper and deeper into his trance through their training bond. Glancing over at his lover, he watched for a moment as Mace studied Bruck. Then, looking up with an intense look in his eyes, Mace nodded once. His voice low and soothing, Qui-Gon only added the tiniest hint of Force into his words.

"Use the Force to see your bonds. Use it to identify each one individually. See the differences between them. Tell me, what do they look like to you, Obi-Wan?"

A hint of wonder in both his voice and in his expression, Obi-Wan began to describe what his Force sense told him about his various bonds.

"Our training bond is blue. A deep shimmering blue. Like silk in soft lighting. It's beautiful."

Qui-Gon smiled at that observation. He also saw their training bond as a deep blue, and he also found it to be a thing of beauty.

"My oldest bond is the Mentor/Initiate bond with Master Yoda. It's a pale green, but it seems dim, almost dull. Sort of like the casing over a light that isn't lit. Like it has the potential to get brighter."

Obi-Wan paused for a second and a flash of mild confusion over that last observation raced across his face. Qui-Gon was going to reassure him that everything was fine and to continue, but he didn't have to. Obi-Wan began speaking again without any prompting.

"I also have two friendship bonds. One with Bant and one with Garen. They are both a bit darker. Bant's is almost like a burnished gold, but there are small pinpricks of bright sparkling gold swirling and mixing with the dark gold. The one with Garen is a deep forest green with lighter green sparkles."

Qui-Gon nodded his head even as Obi-Wan continued to describe what he saw.

"Then there's the soulbond with Bruck. It's...amazing. I'm not sure what color to call it. It seems more like a rainbow that cycles through the various colors. First red, then orange then yellow and so on. And it...*glows* so bright."

Qui-Gon nodded his head. He wasn't really surprised by what he had heard at all. He gestured lightly to Mace. His lover's voice was soft and caressing.

"And you, Bruck? What does the Force show you about your bonds?"

Qui-Gon watched curiously while he waited for Bruck to speak. After only the briefest of pauses, the boy began.

"Obi's description of our soulbond is identical to mine. I see it the exact same way. The other bonds are a bit different though."

Bruck tipped his head slightly to the side before he went on.

"My training bond with you Master, isn't blue like Obi's. Mine is green. Bright shimmery green. Although, I'd say it was more of a sequence thing than a silk thing, but still shimmery. It's warm, too. Like a big mental hug."

Qui-Gon raised up one eyebrow in response to that last statement and shared a telling look with Mace. It wasn't unusual for a person to describe a temperature with a bond, but to be able to reach that far into his trance in a Force-shielded room was impressive for a Padawan. Bruck's soft voice pulled them both out of their thoughts.

"I have a Mentor/Initiate bond with Master Plo Koon. It's orange, like him. It's a deep orange, almost red, but there are bright orange sparkles swirling around. Sorta like fireflies."

There was a pause and for a brief moment Qui-Gon thought that Bruck was done, but then the Padawan tilted his silvery haired head in the other direction and he began to speak again.

"I have two friendship bonds, too. They're not as old as Obi's and one is just real new. The older one is with Cersii and it's pale lavender, but it's dull. Like Obi said earlier, like it's just waiting for a light to shine on it. The other one is with Crey'lin and it's a pale yellow. This one is also sparkling, like the bond with Master Koon, only the sparkles are more golden."

Qui-Gon and Mace exchanged a brief look that spoke volumes even beyond the quick mental conversation.

/They each have a head full of bonds. I'm willing to bet that we weren't the only two who got a blast of their thoughts early this morning./

Mace nodded thoughtfully.

/Yes. I wonder if anyone else mentioned it to them?/

Qui-Gon grinned briefly at that, but then pushed the thought away. Those people that both boys named were all very discrete people, well, with the exception of Bant. The young Mon Calamari girl tended to be a bit of a gossip, but she'd never go beyond teasing Obi-Wan a little. Clearing his throat, Qui-Gon brought his thoughts back to the exercises.

"Okay, I want the both of you to slowly rise up out of your trances. Bring your minds fully into the present, but continue to hold onto the knowledge you have just learned about your bonds."

Watching calmly, Qui-Gon sat patiently as both Bruck and Obi-Wan slid back into full awareness. Their breathing deepened and then slowly two sets of eyes fluttered and opened again. Qui-Gon smiled gently at them both.

"You both described colors and brightness when you visualized the various bonds that you have. Normally, the person on the other side of the bond will envision that bond as the same color unless their physical eyes perceive light in a vastly different way. However, it's the *intensity* of that color that you must be mindful of."

Two heads, one red-gold and one silvery white nodded at him, but Qui-Gon could see in their eyes that they didn't understand yet.

"Both of you described the soulbond between you as 'glowing'. This is because it is completely open and unshielded. You both also described various bonds as 'shimmery'. Those are bonds that are open on one end, yours, but shielded lightly on the other."

The light of comprehension began to seep into the two Padawans' eyes. It was at that point that Mace took up the explanation.

"The bonds that are 'sparkly', the ones whose colors are dim with only little flashes of bright color leaking through are also partially open, just as the bonds that appear to 'shimmer'. However, instead of being open at your end and shielded at the other, the reverse is true. You are lightly shielding and the other end is open. Those bonds that seem dim and dull with no light shining through at all are shielded on *both* ends."

Both Obi-Wan and Bruck wore expressions of comprehension on their faces now. Qui-Gon was glad about that. Once they understood the idea behind this exercise, learning control would be easier. Smiling gently at them, he wove a vague gesture with his hand.

"Now, I want you both to close your eyes and sink back down into a trance state. Once there, I want you to try and raise mental shields on all of your bonds. You will notice that some bonds will shield thicker than others. That is because of the nature of each bond. With the training bonds, both the Master/Apprentice bond and the Mentor/Initiate bond, you only have partial control, so those shields will be thinner and lighter than the others. However, they *do* exist."

He and Mace watched silently as the two boys slid their eyes closed and their breathing slowed down. Soon, they could both feel their apprentices' consciousness shift into a trance state. Qui-Gon exchanged a long look with his lover. Now came the hard part, where all of the effort would go. They had to teach the boys how to shield the bonds, both all at once and each individually. They had to make this shielding seem separate from the general shielding that they would normally hold over their minds since bonds allowed the bondmates to slip in passed normal mental shields that kept other telepaths and Force sensitive individuals out. It was going to be a long and tiring day.

*

He was so tired that he wasn't even sure if he could stay awake through dinner. The only reason that he wasn't ordering his meal to be brought to their rooms by a server droid and then collapsing on his bed was because Bruck had promised Crey'lin that they would meet him for third meal. Physically exhausted from a morning of therapy and mentally exhausted from an afternoon of trance-work and shielding techniques, Obi-Wan finally figured that it would be okay if he fell asleep with his head on the table in the Dinning Hall. No one would mind, right?

Shuffling behind his bondmate while in line for their food, he knew that Bruck wouldn't care. He felt almost as worn out as Obi-Wan did. Grabbing a bowl of thick stew and a few slices of warm bread, Obi-Wan limped behind Bruck with a slight frown. Something was bothering his bondmate, but he didn't know what. When their Masters had released them from the Meditation Room and told them to go ahead and get third meal, Bruck had informed him that he had promised to meet Crey'lin for dinner and Obi-Wan had agreed to come along. As they were walking to the Dinning Hall, Bruck's attention became more and more caught up in some inner thought until he was now almost distracted by it.

/Bruck? Is something wrong?/

Bruck sent a wash of affection over their bond, but it was slightly tainted by worry.

/Bruck?/

With a soft sigh, Bruck reached out for a container of selta juice and put it on his tray.

/Crey'lin ran across some untrue rumors about me today at University. A boy that he had been tutoring or something like that told him that Shontis is going around telling people that I purposely tripped her during kata practice yesterday. We both know that I didn't even *see* Shontis yesterday, let along share a training session with her. Crey'lin said that he'd listen to see if he heard anymore rumors./

Shock froze Obi-Wan midway to grabbing his own drink as his mind absorbed what Bruck had just told him. A strange look from the Knight behind him got him moving again, but his brain was still trying to come to terms with the idea of Shontis spreading lies about his bondmate.

/But...but... *why* would she say that? It's not true. I mean, you were with *me* all day so I can prove that you didn't do it. And even if I couldn't, you *wouldn't* do that. I mean, teasing...yeah I can see that, but you would *never* disrupt a training session. I should know, I've shared enough of them with you./

Once at the end of the food line, they both turned and scanned the room for the Mimbanite Padawan. Bruck saw him first and pointed over to where he was sitting and waiting. Slowly, in deference to Obi-Wan's still sore leg, they made their way over.

/Yeah. That's why I wanted to meet up with Crey'lin. Maybe he's heard something else./

Obi-Wan frowned. He hoped that Crey'lin didn't hear anything because there was nothing to hear. Or, he hoped that Crey'lin did hear something, but that the something was that it was someone outside the Temple spreading those lies about Bruck. Shontis was Jedi and lying was completely against the code and standard that all Jedi were expected to uphold. It was just as upsetting to hear the lies as it was to hear that it was a Jedi spreading them.

When they reached the table that Crey'lin was at, they both set down their trays next to each other's and sat down. Bruck sat down at the edge of the table, directly across from Crey'lin. The shy Mimbanite Padawan looked up at them with huge dark eyes and grinned.

"Hi, Bruck. Hey Obi-Wan. How's your leg and your arm feeling?"

Obi-Wan smiled at the other boy and gave half a shrug.

"I started on the physical therapy for my leg and it was *very* tiring. Healer Knight Ju'ang Tak really worked me hard. My arm is still strapped to my chest and I won't be able to start the physical therapy for that for a few more days."

Obi-Wan gestured to the tight sling his arm was in with his chin and the other two boys grinned at him in sympathy. Then Crey'lin's gaze shifted over to Bruck and his slight smile faded away.

"Bruck? I did what you asked and listened while I was at the University to hear any more rumors. I didn't hear anything different, but I did hear two other students talking about it. When they saw me though, they stopped and walked away. I don't know if it's because they realized that I was your friend or if it was simply because I was Jedi and they weren't."

Obi-Wan grimaced at that. Every Jedi Padawan that had ever taken a class at the Senatorial Campus of the University of Coruscant had suffered that sort of shunning. It was a bit worse at other campuses, which was why most of them tried to get into the Senatorial Campus. Being shunned and ignored was almost as bad as the Jedi groupies that would sometimes follow a student around never giving them any peace.

Suddenly, a pulse of anger sizzled through his mind and yanked him out of his thoughts. Instinctively, he knew that it had come through one of his bonds, but his mind was so tired and worn out from all of the mental excersises earlier that he wasn't sure which one it was. Looking up with confusion and startlement over his face, both of his companions turned to face him. That was why he saw Bant stride up to the table with anger and indignation on her face and the other's didn't.

"Bant...?"

He didn't get any further than that when the Mon Calamari Padawan reached out with one long fingered hand and slapped Bruck on the face.

"How *could* you?"

Bant's normally deep tones were forced out in a hiss.

"You stay *away* from my friends, do you hear me Bruck Chun."

Then Bant's wide round eyes turned on Obi-Wan and her scathing tones dripped with disappointment.

"How could you just sit here eating with him Obi? What's *wrong* with you?"

Obi-Wan sputtered in confusion, but Bant swirled on one foot and stomped off before he could form a reply. Hurt and not understanding his oldest friend's reaction, Obi-Wan slid his chair back and pushed himself to his feet. Ignoring all of the curious and disapproving stares he was getting, Obi-Wan limped after Bant as fast as he could.

"Bant! Wait up! I can't run. Just...wait a minute, would you?"

Bant came to a stop, but she didn't turn back. She merely waited with her back to the table that Obi-Wan had been sitting at. His leg and hips aching from the difficult workout earlier, Obi-Wan hobbled over to her as fast as he could. When he reached her, he slid around to face her and put his hand on her shoulder soothingly.

"Bant? What was that all about? I don't understand. Just *what* was it that Bruck did?"

Bant's jaw dropped in shock.

"How could you say you don't know? First, his goofing off led to you getting knocked off of a cliff and you getting injured, then he comes back here and acts like it didn't matter. Then, at University he's walking around threatening students with the Force if they don't do his homework for him."

"Huh?"

It wasn't a very articulate answer, but Obi-Wan was so flummoxed by her statements that nothing else came out of his mouth. Pushing his shock aside, Obi-Wan tried to force his tired and whirling mind into some semblance of order.

"Where did you hear all of that crap? I mean, you just got back on planet, right? Last I heard you were on a mission with your Master."

Slowly, Bant nodded her head.

"Yeah. I just got out of debriefing about three hours ago."

Obi-Wan nodded even as his mind churned and tried to get everything straight in his head.

"Okay. First off, Bruck wasn't goofing off when we were on the cliffs. In fact, when I fell, he wasn't even near me. He was helping Crey'lin at the time, so he wasn't pushing me with the Force either. In fact, if it hadn't been for Bruck's quick thinking and his willingness to risk his own life, I would be dead right now. He and Crey'lin are being hailed as heroes over the whole incident. As far as threatening Force-blind students to do his homework, well, that's just ridiculous. I mean, can you *really* picture Bruck doing that. I know you don't like him, but have you *ever* seen him going after anyone that didn't have an equal chance to kick his butt?"

Bant wavered for a moment, but then she got a triumphant look in her eye.

"He has *always* picked on you."

Obi-Wan nodded in agreement even as he grinned at her.

"Yeah, and I was always one of the few who could give him as good as he gave. And he *knows* that, that's what makes it fun to him. Bullying around those who can't keep up with him is no challenge and so it doesn't even interest him. Think about it. He's always hanging out with the Healers and the younger Initiates and he is constantly volunteering to help out in the creche. That's not someone who likes to push around the weak and helpless, Bant."

For a long moment it didn't seem that Bant would give in to his reasoning, but then she wavered and sighed. Her shoulders slumped and she shook her head slightly.

"Then why did Shontis say that it was his fault you got hurt, Obi? She was there. She said she saw it all."

Obi-Wan stared at her wide-eyed for a second and then hissed one of his Master's more colorful Huttese expressions. He was fairly sure that Bant didn't know what it meant since she didn't react, but a Jedi Master who was walking passed them stopped and glared at him.

"Padawan! Mind your language."

Obi-Wan had the grace to blush.

"Sorry, Master Treccah."

The Master walked on and Obi-Wan reached out and grabbed Bant gently by the elbow and turned her back to the table Bruck and Crey'lin was sitting at.

"Look, Bant. I want you to tell Bruck and Crey'lin everything that Shontis said to you today. Crey'lin also heard an untrue rumor about Bruck that Shontis is supposedly spreading around. I don't know why she's doing this, but it seems as if she's got it in for Bruck and we've got to get to the bottom of this."

Bant flashed him a skeptical look and then her face settled into the Mon Calamari version of a frown, but she didn't argue as Obi-Wan slowly guided her back to the table where Bruck and Crey'lin were sitting with stunned looks on their faces. When they reached the table, Obi-Wan gestured for Bant to sit next to Crey'lin which was across from himself and, incidentally, the farthest seat from Bruck. Sitting down in his own seat, he sent a wave of reassurance and affection to Bruck through their soulbond and reached under the table with his good hand to entwine his fingers with his bondmate's.

"Guys. It's worse than you thought. Shontis isn't just spreading rumors at University. She's been telling them here too. *That's* why Bant hit Bruck, because Shontis told her that *he* pushed me off the cliff during the Enduron Laboris."

"What?!"

Bruck and Crey'lin cried out the question in practically one voice. Bruck's was tinged with anger and Crey'lin's with confusion. Obi-Wan could feel the ripple of hurt and anger wash over his bondmate and he sent as much soothing and calming sensations as he could, but it wasn't easy since he too was upset by this turn of events. However, it was Crey'lin who managed to calm down first and insert logic into the situation.

"Listen. We should make sure that we know everything that Shontis said to Bant. Then, I think that you two should inform your Masters about what's happening. This is serious. It's one thing to twist around the facts to the University students. No one will believe them over your word, anyway. But to start telling lies to other Jedi will cause a whole bunch of problems."

For a brief moment, a look of embarrassment washed over Crey'lin's face.

"And I'm sorry to say this Bruck, but you don't have the best reputation here at the Temple. At least, not with the other Padawans. They might end up believing Shontis, just like Bant did."

*

END PART 10