Title: A Voice Within

Author: Karen

Series/Fandom: Star Trek - Voyager

Pairing: Tuvok/Tom Paris

Rating: R

Archive: Yes

Feedback Addy: CP4Karen@aol.com

Web Addy if applicable: http://www.slashcity.net/~karens/index.htm

Warnings: Paramount owns them. I imply no Copyright infringement.

Summary: Canon? We don't need no stinking canon.

No spoilers...just pure fluff from my imagination. Set in the 'Somewhat Familiar' universe. Tom is injured and takes a sort of mental vacation...


A Voice Within
By Karen


//Tuvok...//

//I am here, Thomas.//

//Tuvok, what's wrong with me? I can't move my arms...everything is so... so heavy...T'hy'la? Why is it so dark in here?//

//Be still, Thomas, you have been injured and must rest.//

//Am...am I paralyzed? Where's the Doc? I can't--//

//Rest, T'hy'la, I am with thee. There will be time for explanations when thee have healed.//

//You're frightened.//

//Vulcans do not experience fear. I will however, acknowledge the existence of an occasional concern when my bond mate has managed to injure himself in such a manner.//

//That's my Tuvok. Grumpy in the face of adversity.//

//Rest.//

//T'hy'la?//

//*Thomas*--//

//Where am I?//

//You are...within me.//

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Any change?"

"Not yet. Considering the strength of the explosion and the extent of Mr. Paris' injuries, it is not at all surprising that he is still comatose."

Kathryn looked up in surprise. "Doctor, isn't comatose a rather unusual diagnosis for his condition? He isn't even in his own body!"

"Well, Captain, it appears that he is and he isn't." Noting that Janeway had adopted her 'Hurry-up-damn-it' look, he continued. "Granted, Mr. Paris' body is on full life support and brain patterns identical to his are turning up on Lieutenant Commander Tuvok's scans--"

"--and the fact that Tom is communicating with Tuvok and complains that he can't see and is paralyzed. Yes, Doctor, we covered all of this in the first three days after the accident."

"Quite."

Kathryn almost laughed at the look of affront on the hologram's face.

"As I was saying, Captain, while Mr. Paris' brain patterns are showing up on scans of his bond mate, there is now an echo of those patterns...here."

Kathryn gazed at the small jagged line tracing its way across the screen. "So, what you're trying to tell me is that Tom's 'essence', for lack of a better word, is trying to re-enter his body."

"The Vulcan term is katra, but in layman's terms, that could explain it, yes. I have been studying the Vulcan and Terran physiological databases for an idea of how long the relocation might take. The only example of such a transference was between Ambassador Spock and Dr. Leonard McCoy."

"I remember reading..." Kathryn looked up. "But weren't they were forced to go to the Vulcan home world in order to transfer Spock back into his own body?"

"True. But remember, Commander Spock had been killed during the battle with Khan. There was no link between his katra and his physical body. For all intents and purposes, he was dead."

Kathryn frowned. "Doctor, you stood here three days ago and told us that for all intents and purposes, 'Tom Paris' was brain dead. But before you could turn off life support, Tuvok woke up and told us just where Tom happened to be." She sighed, rubbing her temples. "Doctor, are you trying to tell me that there is a possibility that Tom may spontaneously transfer back to his own body?"

The hologram frowned. "I can tell you nothing of the sort. The only thing I can tell you is that Mr. Tuvok believes that once Tom's body is strong enough the transfer should be possible. However, since we are approximately fifty years from the nearest Vulcan healer, how it will occur is something that only the pair in question may be able to tell us."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

//Tuvok...//

//Yes, Thomas.//

//I- I'm sorry. Did I wake you? I wish I could tell what is going on. It's so dark and quiet when you aren't speaking to me.//

//I apologize, T'hy'la. I have been remiss due to my preoccupation.//

//Preoccupied, huh? That means something must be going on...'somewhere' ...Sorry. I know you and the Doc are doing everything that you can to find a way to put me back together, and I'm behaving like a child scared of the dark.//

//There is no need for apology, My One. You are in an extremely stressful situation and have handled your fears with your usual strength and aplomb.//

//Strength and aplomb, huh? Remember to let the Doc in on that little secret. I am sure that aplomb would be one of the last words he would use to describe me...and— by the way, I love you, too.//

//Indeed. While the sentiment is welcome, I am unsure as to what may have been the initiator.//

//My One. Usually it's T'hy'la or Thomas. My One is something that you generally save for very special times. Times, that I think you would really like to cut loose and show a little emotion, but of course, cannot.//

//I had no idea that I was becoming so predictable. I shall have to endeavor to inject a bit of variety into our communication.//

//Oh, gods. If you call me *baby*, I'll hit you when I get out of here.//

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chakotay sighed and sat back. The sun was warm against his face as he searched once again for his guide. A movement off to the right stirred the tall ferns and Chakotay began to smile his welcome.

"Tom?"

It was hard to say who was more surprised—the Commander or the sad- eyed blond who moved towards him.

"Hey, Chakotay." Tom settled against a large rock just out of the other man's reach. "I thought maybe Tuvok had managed to inject a little light and movement into my share of his head."

Chakotay smiled despite of the sober delivery of the statement.

"No, I'm afraid it's just me."

Tom looked around and then grinned. "Soooo...you come here often?"

Chakotay snickered. "As often as I can; it varies occasionally. Although the company is generally of the four-legged variety." He looked startled. "Actually, the only other person I remember seeing was my father."

Tom raised one eyebrow in an unconscious imitation of his bond-mate. "Chakotay, that isn't exactly soothing considering he's dead."

The brunet shrugged. `Sorry, but I'm still impressed. You have to have some sort of talent to project into my dreams."

Tom smiled. "If I'm actually here at all..."

"—And then I was fully conscious again. I commed the doctor and he said that there had been no fluctuations in Tom's vital signs." The Doctor nodded in agreement.

"I immediately requested that Lt. Commander Tuvok come to sickbay, and we ran a full battery of tests. Except for a small rise in his serotonin levels, Mr. Tuvok's readings have not changed from this morning's exam."

Kathryn looked thoughtful. "Doctor, I—"

"Bridge to Captain." Harry's voice had a tinge of hysteria, and those present ran for the bridge.


"He was there, Captain. Just for a moment. I know the logs show nothing, but the message briefly scrolled across my screen."

"Hey, Harry..."

Chakotay turned quickly at the movement and then dove to catch Tuvok as he headed for the floor.

"I assure you that I am well enough to continue my duties."

The Doctor was quick to disagree.

"I'm afraid that is out of the question, Mr. Tuvok. It is becoming increasingly obvious that Lt. Paris is having some sort of difficulty. I believe it is imperative that we keep your vitals as stable as possible."

Kathryn laid a careful hand on her friend's shoulder. "Have you spoken to Tom since this last occurrence?"

Tuvok looked discomfited. "He seemed to be resting and I did not wish to disturb his slumber." The Vulcan sighed and closed his eyes. Almost at once he reopened them. "I can detect no change."

Chakotay spoke for them all.

"Now if we just knew whether that was good or bad."

~*~*~

Warm...wet... Tuvok groaned lightly as the wonderful suction continued. The heat in his gut grew and spread as his One continued his ministrations. He was on fire....

With a grunt he opened his eyes—the semen still spurting wildly.

He was alone.

Angered at his loss of control, Tuvok rolled from bed and strode into the bath. Sonics soon eliminated any physical evidence of his lapse, but still the perceived weakness rankled. Straightening, Tuvok began to dress. It was quite early, but the bit of extra time in the sickbay would be welcome.

~*~

//Is it so hard to admit that you miss our being together?//

//I am capable of more control.//

//At least you have that...//

Tuvok would swear that his mate was pouting. Still, his relief at having his mate back within his care... //Forgive me, T'hy'la, it was uncaring of me to complain.//

//That's okay.// Tom's sudden change in mood left Tuvok off balance. Not exactly a rarity in their relationship, but it was generally for more pleasant reasons.

//Thomas...// Tuvok gasped and leaned over Tom's quiet form. He felt Ensign Wildman's careful grip and gasped again as her fear leaked through his weakened shields. The spasm of pain receded and Tuvok raised his eyes to the doctor across his mate's body.

"Everything is fine. Mr. Paris' life signs are stable." Tuvok shook his head at the reassurance, and the waved off the doctor's touch. Closing his eyes, he attempt to deepen their link was useless.

Tom was gone.

"Diagnostics have been run on every piece of equipment containing any sort of memory capability on this ship. There are no signs of any abnormalities that might accompany a transference. We've tried addressing Tom directly from terminals throughout the ship in the hope that he is simply disoriented from the change." B'Elanna sighed. "There's nothing, Captain. If Tom has re-entered the ship's computer or its peripheral equipment, he's not talking."

Kathryn sighed and looked at the senior staff perched throughout sickbay. The doctor's somewhat frantic announcement had brought them all running, and only Tuvok and B'Elanna were actually in uniform. A glance at her second- in-command's nicely formed chest through his loosely tied robe brought a sigh and a brief dimpled grin told her she had been heard. She resolutely turned her attention to her oldest friend who almost looked his age.

"Your link is gone?"

"N-n-no."

Kathryn glanced at the holo-doctor and Chakotay. Tuvok seemed slightly disoriented as if he were listening to something far away. Gently reaching out, she closed her hand over his wrist.

"Tuvok—"

The Vulcan grimaced and carefully moved from her grip. Kathryn stepped back seeing that even that small contact seemed painful.

"Our bond is still intact, but weakened as if he is at a great distance. I have studied all ship's diagnostics that were made in the last hour. There is nothing that resembles Thomas' rhythms."

Chakotay looked up from Tom's face. "His rhythms?"

Tuvok nodded briefly. "There is a rhythm and symmetry to Thomas' thoughts... his essence...which is as distinct to me as his genetic information would be to the doctor. Being that Lieutenant Torres and Ensign Kim were unable to track his movements in his last transfer, I had little expectation of finding him in that manner. I am hoping that our bond will enable me to establish a method of determining his location."

For both men's sake, Kathryn hoped so too. With a nod in the doctor's direction she left followed by everyone but Tuvok.

~*~

It had been nearly sixty-five years since Tuvok had last experienced a lack of mental companionship to this degree. From T'Pel's quiet serenity to Tom's warmth and humor—he'd never truly been alone. His statement to the Captain, while not wholly inaccurate, perhaps overstated his current contact with his mate. There was none. His link with his bondmate had been reduced to the level of awareness that he shared with every sentient being on Voyager. The emptiness was appalling.

As an adult Vulcan male, Tuvok was expected to be wholly self- sufficient... free from the weight of emotion and illogic. However, this quiet, this-- Tuvok sighed briefly, this loneliness was disturbing. Even more disturbing was the heavy handed attempts of others to provide comfort. Comfort in this instance was a wasted commodity and it surprised the Vulcan how much he wanted to tell everyone —in his One's own words to-- "...mind their own fucking business."

"Mr. Tuvok...?"

Apparently the holo-doctor's audio receptors were in excellent working order. With one last caress to the red-gold hair under his hand, Tuvok nodded at the somewhat agog being across the room and headed for the bridge.

~*~

//Well, this sucks.//

Feeling confident after his visit to the ship's computer, Tom had tried a bit of mental transference while Tuvok was caressing his forehead. In a sense it had worked, or at least it would have if his lover hadn't decided to check the settings on the cortical monitor at exactly the wrong time.

Tom sighed. The workings of the machine seemed clear and he had identified the monitor's power and maintenance routines. The monitor's screen was straight forward and the programming leading to the read- out was at full power and ready for any changes in his condition.

His body's condition.

Tom himself, however, sat in an index of mnemonics used to make the equipment more user friendly.

It didn't feel very friendly at the moment.

Hesitant to make any attempts that might accidentally turn off the only thing actually keeping his physical body functioning, Tom continued to sit.

And to wait.

~*~

Even after five years on Voyager, Harry Kim generally felt like he was considered to be little older than Naomi Wildman. He knew he was intelligent. Hell, he'd saved their asses any number of times by using that very intelligence. Still, he couldn't recall ever feeling this helpless.

Gazing down at his friend's body, he watched the quiet movement of breath, willing the older man to open his eyes. It wasn't going to happen, he knew that, but to see Tom so still went against everything he knew about the man.

Raising his hand, Harry reached out and gently touched his friend's shoulder. Warm, strong, but the muscles totally relaxed.

"This sucks."

...Yeah, Harry, I hear you... ... ...

"Doc!"

~*~

Tom sighed and stretched, frowning at the resistance in his limbs. Opening his eyes, he blinked at the penlight shining brightly in his eyes.

"Gods, what did I do n— Tuvok?!" A large blur wobbled and then turned into his mate. "I can see you..." Tom slowly turned his head to take in his companions. "This isn't your head." There was a burst of relieved laughter at his statement and his lover's face was replaced by that of the doctor.

"This is also not a cortical monitor, which is where Mr. Kim finally located you." The hologram sounded slightly miffed at the trespass.

Tom's right hand was squeezed tightly and Harry's grinning face appeared overhead. "Actually, you sort of found me. I was standing here talking to myself and you answered."

Tom grinned. "I didn't think you'd hear me. I had been trying for a couple of hours to send messages through the screen, but I was afraid that I would turn myself off." He closed his eyes against the vertigo resulting from the doctor's adjustment of the bed, listening to the sound of the sickbay door. Dizziness gone, he re-opened them to find the Captain, B'Elanna and Chakotay had joined his group of well-wishers.

"How'd you get me back into my body?" Harry paled, and then shrugged.

"We almost didn't. Your signs started going south after you spoke, and I called the doc." Kathryn took his hand.

"There wasn't much time for discussion. What little brain activity your body was showing began to fluctuate. I gave the okay to use the cortical stimulator...somehow you were transferred back into your body along with the electrical stimulation." The haunted look on the woman's face told how close it had been.

Tom started to reply and then felt it. A small, soft, almost physical caress that soothed and calmed. He smiled and turned to find his mate who had taken position almost behind his head. Weakly raising his hand, he was gratified as the faint pulse of their bond steadied and grew.

~*~

"Wow..."

Tom rolled onto his back, grinning at the throb in his ass. Tuvok, while careful, had enthusiastically reacted to the doctor's announcement that Tom was okay for duty. A glance to his left proved that his bond mate was in a similar condition.

"I would have to agree with your assessment, Thomas. That was indeed, a wow."

Tom snorted and then rolled to spoon up to his lover's side. Half- heartedly wiping them down, he lay his head on Tuvok's shoulder. Breathing calmed, bodies cooled, and the pair allowed their bond to convey their contentment.

"The Captain said that I am to stay away from anything that might explode, crash, mutate or alter me in any other way, for the foreseeable future."

"As Security Chief, I shall make that order my chief task."

Tom smiled and wrapped an arm around Tuvok's waist. "I think she'd like that. She also said that if I caused her or Chakotay one more gray hair, I'd be busted to crewman." Tuvok made a noise that was suspiciously close to a snort and stretched, slightly dislodging his lover who frowned.

"Yes, T'hy'la?"

"I'm in the wet spot again..."

Life was truly back to normal.


~*~
END