TITLE: Unrequited 2

AUTHOR: Sara

EMAIL: scarab@blueyonder.co.uk

SUMMARY: Malcolm watches the watcher and thinks. Companion piece to 'Unrequited'. Hope you like it.

PAIRINGS: Tucker/Reed

RATING: G

ARCHIVE: Yes, if you think it's good enough, just let me know where it's going..

DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately I don't own Enterprise or her crew, Paramount does (although if they ever get tired of Trip, I can offer him a very good home!)

WARNINGS: None

FEEDBACK: Yes please, good for the ol' ego

AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is again dedicated to Nautika who basically started the ball rolling with this story idea and boosted the ol' confidence. There is going to be a part three, which is almost ready to post and is kinda different... that's all I'm saying, you'll have to wait and see. Hope you enjoy this part.


Unrequited 2
by Sara

I know that he is watching us, or should I say watching Trip as we walk into the mess hall and for a second I feel a pang of jealousy. As he sits in the corner I briefly see the love and longing on his face and know that he loves the Chief Engineer as much as I do, although Trip is completely oblivious. To everyone else Jonathan Archer and Trip Tucker are the best of friends and have been for years, but I've seen the unguarded moments when the mask slips and the Captain reveals how much he loves this beautiful man.

He has known Trip longer than I have and I cannot believe that he has not once shown him how he feels, how special he is. I must admit that I was stunned when we did get together, one minute we were arguing, the next we were kissing like there was no tomorrow. We take our food to a table and Trip, noticing that I'm distracted by something, brushes his arm across my back and smiles at me, I smile back although part of me is still watching the man in the corner.

I asked Trip when we first became lovers if there had been anything between the two of them and Trip just laughed, that wonderful laugh and in that lazy drawl just said that 'Jonathan ain't like that.' What is it they say about not seeing what is right in front of your nose. In a way it's a comfort, I know that there is someone else watching Trip, keeping him safe. I smile to myself at the thought and imagine the tongue lashing I would receive from him if he knew I felt he needed looking after, although images of other things that tongue of his can do to me also spring to mind. We chat for awhile about inconsequential things, more intimate discussions can wait until we are alone, and I realize just how lucky I am.

I know the Captain knows about us and I was furious with Trip for telling him. It was our first big argument since that first kiss and the main cause was that I thought he had jeopardized our careers in Starfleet, but I can never stay mad at Trip for long. He assured me that as long we were discreet the Captain would turn a blind eye. Since then I've watched the Captain even more closely and that's how I discovered his secret, he's in love with Trip and just wants to see him happy.

My attention is drawn to him as he leaves the mess hall and I watch the burden of command fall back onto his shoulders as he prepares to become the Captain again. Jonathan Archer is an incredible man, always prepared to do whatever is necessary to protect his ship and crew, portraying an image of happiness, confidence and control to the outside world, but sometimes if you look hard enough you can glimpse the lonely man within, and my heart breaks for him.

THE END