JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS

By LurkerQueen42

Fandoms-Star Trek, Next Generation/Battlestar Galactica/Old School

Rating-NC-17, SM/D/s, implied blood sport, semi none con, angst

Pairs-Starbuck/Apollo, Starbuck/Picard, implied Q/Picard

Summary-Two men learn a lot about themselves when Q is well, Q.

Beta-The Talented Bertina from X-Files Fandom—Also, all mistakes are still mine..but, I'm blaming them on my computer.

Lurkerqueen42@yahoo.com Feed back is the coin of the realm

Note-I don't own them, if I did, the boys would have lots more fun. This is a exercise in what if...Thanks to all who had given me input for this. Special thanks to two people, AlbertG and Johnnysnowball both of these talented writers can be found at fanfictionnet.com

Note to the archivist this can be posted anywhere as long as the header is on this.

A/U-This story is from the series that was made in the 70's-- not the mini-series that Sci-Fi channel had on last year. --I mean Starbuck a female, Boomer a Female and no less one of them...YUCK!!!

This story was written as a writing exercise in my writing group. It took over a year to write. And, it was IMHO a monster with a life on its own. I wanted to go "X" way and the characters wanted to do "Y."--Guess who won?

BTB, sometimes in real life both individuals can love each other and still not be able to work it out. Sad? Yes. However, true.

Also, Yes I am going to write a sequel, a more traditional P/Q "first" time story...like that has not been done enough..but enough of me...enjoy...LQ



JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS
By LurkerQueen42

Picard sat in his new quarters. The Enterprise NC-E was in its final shake down phase, and the crew and command staff were slowly reporting back to duty. It had been a long six months. The debriefing with Star Fleet Central's Admiral Paris had not gone well.

Picard was at a loss to understand why Admiral Paris seemed not to have his mind on the debriefing. Shaking the feeling of being sent to the headmaster for not answering the right questions; Picard thought, "It does not matter; Data was able to give the most detailed account of what the Borg Queen's intentions were."

Getting up from his seemly endless reports, he walked over to the replicator, "Tea, Earl Grey, hot." The tea materialized out of thin air. Picard took the warm cup, holding it in his hands, and thought of his last communiqué.

"Number One, you will be here by 07:30 tomorrow. I want to take her out for a fast run to DS9 and back. The engineers are still saying that they need another month. I know my command staff and crew can get her back up to speed in half the time." A mischievous grin sprung up from his cool aquiline features.

"Yes, Sir. I agree, I've been talking to La Forge and Data, we agree all she needs is a shake down cruise, and how did Data put it..." A humorous smile appeared on his face, "a little TLC." Picard looked perplexed, trying to figure out what the acronym meant.

Smiling even more, Riker went on to explain, "It's Data trying to incorporate twentieth century slang terms, Sir. He is running some holodeck 'cops and robbers' ... " Riker seemed to search for the word... "television shows. It means Tender Loving Care."

Both officers, being in sync with each other's reactions, smiled at the same time. "I will see you tomorrow. Picard out."

*TLC. I must talk to him about his current interest...TLC...* Taking a long draw from the cup in his hand, Picard failed to notice a flash of light behind him.

"Really, Johnny. TLC? I would think you would need TLC after that dreadful trip to the past."

Picard's shoulders went rigid. "Q." The tone was harsh.

"Now, now, Mon Capitane, I just dropped in to see if you and your pitiful staff needs assistance in getting your state of the art, your cutting edge technology, your rust bucket fixed." He poised his fingers to snap if Picard said yes. However, dealing with this captain all these years, he knew better.

"What I want from you is to leave- now." Picard knew Q would not listen; however, force of habit caused him to state the obvious.

"Now, Johnny, why don't you want some, er....TLC?" Q's eyes twinkled as he took in Picard's full body.

Picard just sighed. "Q, what do you really want? I am busy. In case you have been out of the galaxy," *Hopefully you have.* "My ship is in dry dock, and, no, I do not need your help. I am just taking her on a little shakedown cruise."

"Your ship, your fish, you, you, you. You only think about you, never me, or, ohmygosh, never someone else." Q when he wanted to, and it was often, sounded like a petulant child complaining that the dessert was too sweet.

"Well, Q, if someone else were here, I could possibly care," Picard stated so dryly that the sarcasm oozed off the words.

In a nano second, Q flashed even closer to Picard, moving into his personal space. Picard unconsciously stepped back to give them room.

"Johnny, I am hurt, really." With that said, Q flashed out of Picard's ready room.

"Merde," was all that he could think of when the entity flashed out. He debated for a second to log in his meeting as per Star Fleet Regulations. "Computer, state time only please."

"Time is 0345.52 standard earth Greenwich Mean Time."

Picard shook his head and thought, "If I enter my log now, I will be up all night trying to dissect this meeting. I'll sleep on it and give a more concise report later today."

With that said, Picard dimmed the lights enough to see the stars out his windows. Picard was able to see his ship at dry dock moors. The stars and darkness making it appear that his ship was a candle in the night. It was a comforting sight as he prepared for sleep.

A purple cloud hovered over Picard's bed whilst he slept. *If someone else was here... Well, there will be, and when it's over, you'll admit more to me, than that Johnny.*

"Well, Data, are you ready to give her some TLC?" Riker smile was evident and the mood on the bridge was professional yet light.

"Yes, I am and she will be more responsive if we pay more attention to her." Data failed miserably to catch the humor in Riker's voice.

Picard picking up on the mood of the bridge, said, "Data, I do believe you missed your calling as an engineer."

"Sir, I just accessed my logs. I have missed no call from engineering. I will run a self diagnostic."

Counselor Troi, laughing at Data's remark, lightly chided him, by saying, "No Data, access humor, sarcasm specifically." Data turned slightly to Troi, "Yes, I understand. Your use of sarcasm- a form of verbal jesting, a…" Data paused just long enough for Picard to interrupt him, a small twinkle in his eyes, held Troi attention while the captain said,

"Enough, Data, take us out of orbit. When we reach the Cochran Divide, plot a course for DS9 at warp 2.4," Picard interrupted.

"Yes, Sir. However, please be advised that at this speed it will take us exactly 2.35 weeks to reach DS9."

"And you said you wanted to treat my ship with TLC?" A rare full-fledged smile beamed from Picard as he eyed Data's response.

A long moment was held between them. Data turned round on his chair and announced to the bridge. "Warp will be at TLC Speed of 2.4." The entire bridge crew openly laughed at his statement.

The run was turning into nothing like a milk run. As soon as the ship hit the Cochran Divide, one system after another needed to be in overhauled. It was decided three days into the trip that 2.4 warp was too fast. Lt. Comdr. La Forge suggested dropping the speed to warp 2. Thus pushed the timetable to reach DS9 up another week. However, Data and La Forge insisted that when she reached DS9, the Enterprise would be totally ready to warp back to Pacifica at warp 9.6. At the command meeting, Picard sighed and stated, "Make It So."

Two days later, Picard was interrupted from his nightly reading when the klaxons sounded red alert. Upon entering the bridge dressed in his evening wear, Picard noticed on the view screen a warping of space.

"Report, " was his only statement.

"Sir, we dropped out of warp when sensors relayed a spatial rift. We're at relative stop, the rift is approximately 400 kilometers in front of us.

"Suggestions," Picard stated as he went to his command seat.

"Sir, I believe a photon torpedo will close the rift," Lt. Comdr. Worf suggested as he scanned the anomaly, his eyes never leaving the scanners.

"I concur, sir," Data reported while trying to maneuver the ship around the spatial rift.

However, no matter what maneuver he applied, it seemed the rift stayed in front of the ship.

Lieutenant La Forge, I need photon torpedoes, do we have any?"

La Forge's voice came over the comm. system. "Yes, Sir, but I have not realigned the firing matrix. I..."

"I need one now," Picard cut off his explanation, and turned to Worf. "Fire at will, Commander."

Worf acknowledged his order with a growl. At full spread of 26, not one entered into the rift.

"Sir, the computer launched a full spread, impact in 09 seconds" Data calmly stated.

Riker, sensing the full meaning at the same time Picard did, shouted into the bridge's ship wide comm link, "All hands brace for impact, maximum shields."

That was the only warning the ship had. It met the full spread of the torpedoes as the spatial rift engulfed the Enterprise. Picard was thrown from his chair and landed on his side disconnecting his right arm from the shoulder socket. Riker was flipped; his neck landed soundly the edge of Data's console. A spilt second before Riker would have fallen on the floor, the inertial dampers throughout the ship were shorted out. And, numerous gel packs fried in an endless energy loop.

Picard became conscious as the automatic fire suppressers began to extinguish the electrical fires on the bridge. Forcing himself upright, Picard floated to his command chair, and touched the comm. link. "Engineering, I need gravity back now. Medical emergency, beam out Riker and helmsman Naral." Picard winced when he turned to see that Worf, by sheer determination, had hung on to his station as Riker and Naral shimmered out. A few seconds later the gravity kicked back in, and not at all too suddenly.

There is no way to gracefully fall and even an android looks ridiculous. If he were human, every bone in his body would have been broken. As it stood, he and Worf were the only ones manning their post. The entire ship except for Worf and Data, slowly tried to regain their space legs.

Damage Reports were flooding the bridge. Worf, being second in command now, automatically routed all reports to his station. Picard was barely standing next to Data. "I want to know were we are, and I want full damage reports ready when the command briefing starts in my my ready room in 30 minutes." Picard did not bother to acknowledge Data's response. All he did was to will himself to sit down in his chair. By force of grit and years of practice, he waited for his options to unfold. Hitting the comm panel, and biting back a hiss, he manually opened a link, requesting sick bay.

"I need the status on Number One, Dr. Crusher."

There was a long pause before she answered. "I need to see you to discuss his condition, Captain."

"Dr. Crusher, I am not a child, tell me his condition," came the terse reply.

"He broke his neck. Dr. Xweiser is working on him as we speak. Sir, Counselor Troi took a fall, she was unconscious when she was beamed to us. I am truly sorrow, Sir, her neck and spine were injured beyond our capabilities to repair. She is in stasis." At that, Dr. Crusher allowed her voice to crack. Her duty was the motivation for her to stay focused, not to crumble into the heap she desperately wanted to fall into.

Picard took this in, and quietly stated, "I see, keep me abreast of Riker's condition. I want a full report of all injuries and causalities at the staff meeting in, he paused briefly to look at the chronometer on his command panel, "24 minutes."

A part of him wanted to acknowledge Crusher's pain, but the crew needed him focused; he needed to be focused, and duty and honor over rode his personal and physical pain.

Three quarters of an hour later Worf, Crusher, La Forge, and Data were still at the conference table in the captain's main briefing room.

"We have been at it for the last half hour, gentlemen. I want to know what works now, this moment." Picard again tried not to move as he snapped at his command crew. The pain that had started in his upper shoulder had now spread across his back. He knew if Crusher had her way, he would be in sickbay, gritting his teeth, he slowly adjusted his body to face Worf who answered his question.

"Sir, we have warp at 1.01 maximum capability. Our shields are at 20 percent and we have no photon torpedoes and our phaser banks are at 17 percent. Practically every gel back in Engineering and Tactical were destroyed. So, even when we do get full warp capabilities, we will be defenseless." Worf's spat the word "defenseless" out as if the word was a personal insult.

It was at this point that Data pointed out, "Sir, the gel-packs are designed and breed at Daystrom Institute. We presently do not have the capabilities to manufacture the gel-packs.

Dr. Crusher bite her lower lip, "Excuse me, Data, but are not the gel packs semi organic matter? And if so, why can we just transplant some of the gel packs from other none specific systems on the ship?"

La Forge chipped in, "The nanonite technology is breed for integration with specific sub-routines. It would be like manufacturing a kidney to work as a liver."

Both Picard and Crusher eyes arched up in complete understanding.

Picard look at his staff biting back the sense of nausea that was creeping up is back. "So, what do we know, gentlemen?"

It was Worf who responded. "As far as we know, we are still in 'our' universe but where, we do not know yet. Astrometrics is trying to extrapolate our location. But it is taking time, Sir. They do not have a full staff, as per your instruction before we left, almost half their staff went to Volcan for the symposium on parallel universes. So, only a skeleton staff was on board, none of our top peoples. Sir." The frustration of the situation oozed out of Worf's voice.

"Sir," Data interjected, "I believe I can be of assistant in astrometrics." Without looking at Data, Picard calmly stated, "Make it so. I suggest that we concentrate on repairing my ship and finding out where we are. We are to stay at yellow alert until I see any indication otherwise."

When Picard attempted to get up from the table, the whole room spun. He only felt gentle hands touching him as his world went dark.



Somewhere in space.

"I am telling you, Boomer, I can not lose with my new system. I can figure out any hand of pyramids with it." Starbuck sounded exasperated, it seemed that no one would believe him, ever since coming back from the great void, he could sense people's emotions. It was subtle, but if he concentrated, he could know if they were lying. His current winnings at the pyramid tables on the friendship and pleasures ships should have been proof enough.

"I know you are going to become rich, but before that, Starbuck, you have two full cycles of long rang scouting." Before Starbuck could whine, Boomer rushed out with, "I'm going back and trying my luck, since we will not see you until late tomorrow. And, Starbuck stay on the projected course outlined." An evil chuckle vibrated in Starbuck's helmet. He felt more than saw Boomer's Viper speed out.

Looking at his instruments, he sighed. "Long range scouting. It is always better to ask forgiveness than permission." He thought. Starbuck looked at where he was supposed to head to, and in a silent act of rebellion, thought, "Frack where should I go?" Pulling out his lucky chip that he always held on to when he played pyramids, he placed it over the sensor grid, dropping it. There was enough gravity in his viper that the chip slowly fell, hitting the outer left quadrant.

Starbuck not only was going to disobey a direct order from Apollo; but Commander Boomer would be twice as pissed. The direction was parallel to where the armada was slowly moving. Also, the asteroid belt from the readings was a *Fracking huge* one.

Starbuck dipped the viper. In space there are three dimensions, and Starbuck was the second best pilot in all the armada because he could 'see' all three dimensions when he flew. Only his lover, Apollo, could do it slightly better. On a cold night in space they were equal.


On The Enterprise

"Doctor, when will the captain be able to resume duties...tomorrow?" Worf inquired. Though he worried about his captain, the ship was his main concern.

"Yes. Comdr. Worf, however, I am going to recommend light duty for 48 for him fully recover.

Worf grunted and hit the comm link and sighed inwardly. In his hand was the fifth updated causality report. Glaring at the names on the padd, he slowly realized that Troi would have been taking these duties. In a flash of command inspiration, Worf accessed the crew logs. A few minutes later he hit pay dirt.

"Crewman Joss, please report to the bridge."

Worf was in the middle of attempting to understand why astrometrics seemed miffed that their access time to the array was cut when they were making progress. *Scientists, they're never satisfied.* "I will relay the information to the captain when he regains consciousness." He cut off the crewman's reply as a young woman entered the bridge.

Ensign Joss looked about her as if she were looking at the inside of Santa's workshop.... "Err, crewman Joss reporting, Sir."

Worf, a man not suited for the subtleties of command, looked over the timid woman and brusquely stated, "You are our new counselor. I suggest you look at Starfleet protocol."

Joss stood there and quietly asked the commander, "Why?"

Worf, for the first time, noticed how young the Trill host was. "Are you not the Trill Voxan in your new host?"

Suddenly, the crewman Joss understood. "Er, Sir, yes my Trill is Voxan, but want who you want was two life cycles ago."

Worf would not accept 'no' for an answer. "Still you have core knowledge of how to be a counselor. In fact, the majority of protocols were written by your Trill, so you can take this duty, crewman Joss."

"Sir, I was then, but now I am a primary caretaker in the ship's daycare. I like my job and, frankly, I really don't want command rank." Worf could see that though the Trill played at being timid, it fought with the knowledge of another Trill he had the pleasure of knowing.

In the center of the bridge, amongst control chaos, stood a three-hundred-year-old Trill reconciling the fact that she was going to be the new ship counselor. "I will give a report on the ship temperament after I read the casualty report. Sir." A nod of approval showed in Worf's eyes.

Worf turned his attention to the oversight of the repairs while he waited for the captain to be released from sickbay.



Somewhere In Space

Starbuck was having the time of his life. The adrenaline rushes from flying circles in and around the asteroid belt lessened the loneliness that he felt. It did not bother him that he was on punishment detail. As Starbuck reached absentmindedly to touch his lower right eye, he gritted his his teeth against the slight stinging sensation that tickled his right side of his face. Looking at his reflection he could still see the events unfold before him.



On The Pleasure Ship Ambrosia Two Days Early

"Hold it! Don't you dare Cum! Mine all...MINE! With a shuddered Apollo climaxed into Starbuck warm tight canal. Laying on top him while kissing his wet back, Apollo pulled out, and went to get a drink of Caspian wine.

Turning to see his lover, Apollo walked over to Starbuck. "You know pet, being the son of the great Adama, does have its perks. Are you thirsty?" Starbuck nodded, the gag ball was still logged in his mouth. "Too bad pet I was only able to get a decanter of this stuff, it has become a complete luxury, and I had to wheel and deal...some favors for this evening entertainment." He reached down releasing the quick locks that had held Starbuck in place on the bed.

"Look, get cleaned up, and take care of your little problem. I will be at the bar. We need to discuss how I'm going to be paying back the captain of this ship for services rendered."

While talking, he quickly dressed into his civvies. After taking a large swallow of the last drops of the wine from the cup, he bent down to possesses Starbuck's mouth.

Starbuck opened his mouth hungrily, as his mouth opened Apollo let the wine in his mouth flow into his lover's moist warm mouth. Starbuck was too well trained to allow the warm liquid to run down his throat. He moved his tongue forcing the liquid back into his lover's mouth savoring the light bite that Apollo gave his tongue in apperception for being the perfect pet.

Swallowing and moving away from Starbuck, "You know pet, you are a slut. Now hurry up, I will see you at the bar." Not acknowledging the low whine that came from Starbuck, he exited the room leaving Starbuck with an incredible hard on and a burning thirst. Sighing out loud, Starbuck removed the cock ring while licking his lips attempting to taste the wine that had dribbled down his chin.

"Well, he did say I could take care of this," talking to himself as he stared at his reflection. Starbuck quickly relieved himself of his problem, and proceed to take a quick shower. Since the exodus from his home solar system several yarns ago, Starbuck could count the number of times he had taken a real hot shower. As the water cascaded over his welts and bruises, evidence of an intense scene, even by his own masochistic tendencies, he wonder what favors Apollo had wheeled and dealed. Knowing his lover, he knew that it had to have involved some kind of shady dealing. Stepping out of the shower, he wondered what Apollo wanted him to do.

Several minutes later, Starbuck walked into the crowed main bar of the pleasure ship. Guys from Blue and Green and Red squadrons were on 48 hours furlough. Since the cylons had not been seen in close to a half yearn, the feeling amongst the crew and high command were that they had finally out run them. Which just meant to Starbuck that the battle with the cylons would be later not sooner.

Going up to Apollo, he waited patiently for him to acknowledge his present. "Well, if it isn't the lap doggit of Gold Squadron. Shouldn't you be heeling like a good doggit?" Turning round to see Krull from Red squadron leering at him like a crazed doggit in heat.

"Hey Krull, why don't you slide back to the pack of dung flies over there." Shifting his weight while talking quietly as not to bring any more attention to himself nor Apollo.

"Yeah know since it's been quiet, I thought maybe you'd like to start a second career here. I've heard rumors that you'd been trained by the best." Without making too much movement, Krull went next to him, grabbing his groin area. Squeezing and massaging it in an overt sexual manner, Starbuck willed himself too stay calm. He was failing miserable. He forced himself to step back out of reach from Krull's ministration, bumping into Apollo.

Apollo and Starbuck exploits were well known throughout the entire fleet. And, jealousy is a human emotion. But jealousy like all emotions has to have a frame of reference. The common theme to this flavor of jealousy is that all the vids of Starbuck's and Apollo's were shown in their military clothes. Not once were they ever shown on a vid screen in civvies. Being in civvies, both should have been unrecognizable. Operative words 'should have'. Apollo turned round to see the events unfold.

"Lieutenant Krull, I suggest if you do not want to be guarding the reclamation ships, step back and leave."

"Who the frack are you and this is Fleet business, So you get the frack out here now."

Apollo shook his head in mock disgust whilst looking at Starbuck, "Pet do you want me to handle this or can you handle this..in your own unique way?"

"Er..I can. If you leave Sir...And cover my back."

"Okay, Let me help a little." He quickly pulled Starbuck into a rough kiss proclaiming to all who would care to watch, at this time, it was the entire populous at the bar; who belonged to whom. Allowing Starbuck to step back in one fluid motion he nailed Krull with a brutal bunch to his middle stomach; While stepping back Apollo allowed Starbuck to brutally kick the lieutenant.

At this time Krull's buddies came to assist, four of them. Starbuck handled himself well, in truth better than what one would think. It was in the middle of malay as Starbuck turned right allowing the force of the punch to go through him, when he saw Apollo falling to the floor, unconsciously. He had allowed himself to be sucked bunched from behind from another Fleeter. Starbuck became so enraged that he broke free of the two who where plummeting him with bunches. Not controlling his angry he quickly took out his two attackers. Making a bee line for the fleeter who had hurt Apollo.

By this time a full scale brawl had erupted at the bar, and security was on its way. But, not in time for Starbuck to do severe bodily damage to the Ensign who had suckered punched Apollo. Starbuck, after several vicious kicks and stomps to the Ensigns back, was about to aim a well pointed kick into the man's face, when he was hit with a security stun gun. He crumpled next to Apollo's unconscious body. When it was over, the ensign would be lucky to walk without a noticeable limp. And, close to three thousand credits worth of damage was done to the bar.

Nine cycles later, Starbuck and Apollo were in front of a military review panel. The head of the board, Command Admiral Green, looked at the highly decorated mavericks of his fleet.

His gut instinct told him that something was not right. However, as a personal favour to Rear Admiral Adama, head of the task force he had stated he, "would take care of it personally."

"Commanders Starbuck and Apollo, this is not the first time you've caused trouble on the Pleasure Ships. After considering all the facts. Both will have written reprimand in your permanent files. Apollo, you are being transferred to Control Central on the Galáctica effective immediately."

"Starbuck, the serve injuries that you caused to ensign Tower, senior grade, has for all purposes expelled him from active flight statues. Do you realise how short we are of seasoned pilots. Don't answer. It is here by decided that you are to be moved to Red Squadron with a lost of Rank to Ensign junior grade. A forfeit of all pay, except living expenses per Fleet Regulations, until the debt to the Ambrosia is paid in full. Further, a portion of your salary is here by garnished to supplant ensign senior grade Tower's income in perpetuity. Dismissed."

Both saluted then stepped backed. Starbuck paused to remove his Commander pips from his uniform, Both in sync with each other's movements, saluted again, briskly turning and walking out of the room.

Starbuck felt his collar where his rank should have been, the long corridor was empty when he cleared his throat, "This is freaking nightmare Apollo, you gotta do something...Freaking Red Squadron!...Not, Krell...I will space him if tries to touch me."

"Look hang tight, I can't do much about the rank but I can talk to Adama to keep you in Gold Squadron. Freaking Red Squadron is just back support, you're too good a pilot for guarding freaking pleasure ships." Over the conn channel, a voice floated over their conversation, "Ensign Starbuck, please come down to general quarters 14 section 28."

Starbuck eyes bulged out, "No fracking way! I lose my quarters....er...please takecare of it."

Apollo just looked at his pet, "Shit," he thought. "Look, go to my quarters, I will take care of this."

Several cycles later, he was informed that, that his transfer to Red was changed back to Gold, but his quarters because of his rank were moved. He was comforted by the fact that he was surrounded by his friends. Being an Ensign in his Squadron was not all that bad, he thought, has he did his preflight checks. Boomer was Commander, but Commander in name only. If the cylons showed up, he would kick some metal butt, and get kicked back some needed rank.

Sitting in his viper, he wondered where Boomer was at? He checked his watch and looked up to Boomer standing in the docking bay just starring at him. Realization burnt into him. Quickly exiting the viper he stood there waiting for Boomer to enter in his viper first. "I've got to get my rank back." He thought.

"Ensign Starbuck do you read me?" Blinking a few time he realized that his mind had wondered. "Yes, Boomer I do. How can I help you?"

The signal was weak and slightly distorted because he was taking his viper through a large asteroid belt. Judging the distance, he knew he would be out of range completely in another quarter cycle. "You can stay on course, and no joy riding. Keep an eye out. It's been too quiet lately."

"Boomer, you know me, I always listen, and Boomer, don't win all the money tonight, save me some." And evil chuckle was cute off as Starbuck took his frustrations out on the belt blasting some of the rocks into smaller rocks.

What bothered him was that, again, he took the majority of the blame for Apollo's actions. Sure he was there and sure he did what he had done on the fight at the friendship's main bar.

But again it showed how much he cared for Apollo. In his official report that had caused his demotion, he had stated it was he who had thrown the first punch, and Apollo had just walked into the bar fight after it was in full swing. Krell was smart enough not to dispute his statement.

Flying in tight maneuvers to avoid becoming space dust, Starbuck cleared the last of the asteroid belt. Noticing that he took almost a full cycle to finish the run, he quickly calculated how much fuel he would burn to lazily go around the belt and meet up with the Galactica. Judging he had enough, he was about to skim the outer edges of the belt when he noticed a blip on his screen, it was at the edge of the far upper left quadrant.

Fearing the worst, he decided to really scout the area. If the cylons were there, he would have to high tail it back through the belt to contact the ship. Starbuck sighed in frustration. It seemed that no matter how far the armada ran, they were always a hair's breath from being overtaken by them. Even Cain's exploits and harassment tactics from the rear didn't weaken their resolve to kill all of mankind.

It occurred to him that he should have had taken Cain's offer of command to join the Pegasus. At least he would actually be doing something besides purely defensive fighting.

The more he thought of it, the more he realized he had enough command instinct to lead a doggit squadron. *No responsibility for me, carefree to live and love and leave. If command were offered again, (Not now likely his mind snapped at his inner thoughts.), I would never take it.*

As he approached the object, it occurred to him that it was not a cylon ship. It was an alien one, with strange markings, and it seemed to be tumbling in space; one moment standing upright, the next rolling like a darth'd square.


Inside The Enterprise.

"I just finished realigning the dampers, Sir. I have a team on the warp core trying to squeeze more energy, but frankly, if we do not get new dilithium, we are stuck until we reach a starbase." Since the explosion happened on his watch, he took the deaths and near deaths of Riker and Troi personally. In his mind, he was responsible, and no more people were going to die on his watch if he could help it. That is why he had been going on less than four hours of sleep. He vowed not to rest until he could report that he had done all that he could. And as far as he was concerned, he was nowhere close.

Worf was about to say something when the replacement navigator reported. "Sir, object at 10 thousand kilometer off the port bow. It looks like a one-man short flight vessel, no known configuration."

Worf turned his eyes forward, and noticed the helmsman had automatically put the object on the screen. "Increase magnification helmsman, I want to see this." No response was heard but the object became three times as big on the screen.

Worf looked over to the tactical station and signaled the man to sound general quarters. Though the ship was on yellow alert status, Worf was not going to take any chances with the ship in its current condition. The klaxons put everyone on edge more then they already were, and it woke the captain up.

Captain Picard opened his eyes to see Crusher running a bone-generator over his shoulders. "I suggest that you stay here, captain. You suffered internal bleeding, and your shoulder was torn extensively."

Picard looked at Crusher and smiled when he got up. "Is that all that is wrong with me? If so, I have to be on the bridge, I can rest in my chair." With that said he rose from the bed slowly, walking as quickly as he could without jarring his shoulder.

His shoulder, though mended, needed time to rest. And time was a luxury he did not have. As he left sick bay, Picard started to jog slowly to the turbo lift, suppressing the urge to hiss he entered the lift, growling the word, "Main Bridge."

Picard entered the bridge; noticing the alien ship on the view screen snapped, "Report, Mr. Worf."

Worf turned round to see Picard striding to the command chair. Smoothly rising from the chair, he stated, "Alien vessel is now 400 meters from us, Sir. It is at relative stop, and is now hovering."

Settling into his chair, Picard saw Data replacing the helmsman, "Open hailing frequencies, general hail, Data."

"Yes, Sir." As Data pressed the command functions, a series of beeps emerged over the comm system telling the bridge crew that the general hail had been sent.



In Space.

Starbuck, while watching the ship, immediately fell in love with the design, it was small by Galactica standards, but Starbuck knew that the ship in front of him had power. Taking a gamble, that the ship was too engage in trying to straighten itself out, Starbuck slowed and glided towards the ship. When Starbuck was a couple of hundred meters from the ship, he opened a communication line, directing the beam to the ship.

"Alien vessel, please identify yourself, this is Starbuck of the nattle ship Galactica."

Neither ship received either communiqué. Starbuck frequency was on such a low bandwidth that unless the Enterprise was scanning on Megahertz frequencies, the message was lost, and Starbuck's system could not pick up the Enterprise's hail because it lacked the technology.

Both ships floated around each other unsure of what to do. Their problem was solved when a third party join in the little gathering. "Frack!" Starbuck cursed as a cylon patrol entered on to the scene on what appeared to him, the port side of the ship.

The last thing Starbuck wanted was a confrontation with the cylons. He also did not need to lead them back to the armada. Starbuck sped out at maximum warp, heading straight for the Enterprise, tipping and rolling several hundred meters over the ship then banking away from her and the cylon's patrol.

On the Enterprise's bridge, Data reported, "Sir, I have three similar vessels on our stern, approaching at what appears to be attack vectors."

"Data, evasive maneuvers pattern delta four. Shields up to maximum." As he stated this, the ship shook.

"Sir, it appears that they are firing a highly advance version of a laser cannon at us. At our current shields strength it would be advisable to fire or leave." Data calmly stated, as the ship shook again more forcible. "Shields down to 36 %, of current normal levels Sir, at this rate, we will sustain hull breech in ten minutes."

"Worf return fire to warn them that we are not target practice." Picard's annoyance that his ship was possibly in danger from primitive albeit advance laser cannons became evident when he slapped the comm link.

"Engineering, I do not care what you do, give me more power to shields." He slapped the comm link again causing a stinging pain to run up his shoulder and right into his neck.

Several times Worf growled. "Sir, without the auto guidance lock, these ships are too small to hit." Upon hearing Worf's report, Picard pulled his shirt down in his classic maneuver, quickly saying to Data; "Data any heading maximum warp, get us out of here, mark. At the same moment that Picard gave his order to Data, the ship was violently tossed by the multipliable blast. It was Worf who informed the bridge, "Sir, we just lost our warp capabilities."

Picard pulling his shirt down again saying, "Mr. Worf, try random rapid fire of our phasers stagnating the timing; Lets see if they oblige us by walking into our phases." Hitting his comm link, "Engineering inform me when we have warp."

As the ship spiraled out of the fire range, Picard noticed that one of the alien ships was hit and destroyed. "One down, two to go," he thought.

The battle was a fought with sheer determination, the cylons having figure out the planned attack stayed out of range of the phasers, swooping in just enough to fire their own weapons.

Five minutes into the battle, Worf report that shields were down another 20 % and the vibrations of the blasts now were rocking the ship. Picard in frustration again, opened the channel to La Forge; "I need more power to the shields. Do what you must, get me more power." Cutting off the engineer before he could respond. A blast hit the ship in such force that Picard was again thrown out of his chair.

"Sir, there is another seven alien ships moving this way, on an intercept course, we have five point five minutes before they arrive," Data calmly stated.

Picard running out of ideas called to the bridge, "Options! Anyone!" Biting back a hiss, as he pulled himself back into his command chair.

Worf responded, "Sir, the first vessel is on an intersect course, it will be here in one minute."

Picard had no time to wonder why the first vessel would come back.



In Space

Starbuck was gaining distance and time from the alien vessel and the cylon patrol; he was pushing his engines to its maximum speed when he literally ran into the squadron of cylon ships.

*FRACK* Without thinking, he completed a complex move, turning his viper, and headed back the way he came. *I need to get into the belt, that is the only way, after that I can warn Apollo.* It did not occur to Starbuck that he had mentioned Apollo instead of the Galactica.

Pushing his viper to the maximum stress levels, he decided that returning on the vector that he had left was the fastest route back to the Galactica. As he approached the Enterprise, he noticed that ship was attempting to escape and failing. Realising that the cylons were holding the ship for an ambush, Starbuck decided that the fastest way home would be to go straight through the battle. Opening his laser cannons, he intercepted one of the cylon's ships moving up into its sights, blasting it before it had a chance to turn and fight.

Streaking over the limping ship, Starbuck raced back to the belt, as he pulled away, he noticed by his scanner that the ship was turning round, veering off in another other direction. Starbuck decided then and there that if he left the ship, it would probably fall to the cylons.

Banking to intercept the ship, Starbuck placed his viper directly in front of the ship as the squadron of cylon ships approached. "Seven against one, my type of odds," he thought.



Inside The Enterprise

At that same moment, La Forge's voice was heard over the comm link, "Sir, you have computer guidance lock but for how long I can't say."

On the bridge of the Enterprise, Picard recognized what the ship was going to do; despite the overwhelming odds it was placing itself in harms way. Without acknowledging the message Picard stated to Worf; "Worf, go to computer lock tight beam, give him some cover. Data, set course to match."

With Worf going to computer tight beam, he quickly gained the edge in the battle. La Forge voice came over the comm system again.

"Captain, the phasers are now at 19% strength. I had to cut out all non-essential systems." His voice sounded strained over the voices of his staff, shouting amongst themselves in techno babble.

The captain could see that the battle was turning their way, the last two remaining vessels were pulling out when Starbuck, in a dangerous maneuver, spiraled in-between the ships. The ships fired on him; in what appeared to be a holodeck move, Starbuck slowed his viper to a relative stop. The end result was that two ships fired on themselves destroying each other.

"Data, I want to talk to that ship, open hailing frequencies." Waiting for the familiar chime, Picard paused then spoke, "This is Captain Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise. I want to thank you for your assistance, and I would like to invite you aboard to discuss certain matters of mutual concern." After several minutes of no response Picard asked, "Data, why is that ship not answering?" As he walked slowly up to Data's station.

"Working on it, Sir." After a few moments studying the readouts, he said, "Sir, I suggest that we send out our hail on all frequencies, not just Federation standard.

Picard thought about this suggestion, it felt right. "Make it so," he stated as he turned to sit in his chair. The pain in his shoulder was increasing, but he did not want to alarm anyone on the bridge.

Picard sat his chair and repeated, "Alien vessel this is the Federation Star Ship Enterprise. I would like to thank you for your assistance. Would you care to come aboard and discuss certain matters of mutual concern?"

As Starbuck's viper hovered in front of the ship, an incoming message was being sent on all open channels and some secure ones as well. Since vipers only received audio, he wasted no time on formalities. And, not understanding a darn word, Starbuck opted for more prudent course.

Opening a general channel, Starbuck said, "Follow me if you want to live." He turned his viper towards the belt and sped out as fast as his engines would take him.

The universal translator took a few moments to translate the incoming message. Picard heard what the pilot said. "Data match course and speed, engage!"

The viper was pushing its engines to its limit, however the Enterprise had no trouble keeping up.

It was Worf at tactical, "Sir, sensor readings indicate that the ship is stressing its engines, at .9368 sublight speed at this rate, the engines will malfunction in about thirty minutes."

Picard, sitting in his chair, was just about to tell Data to opened a comm link to the vessel. When Data stated, "Sir, sensors are showing a large asteroid belt. The width of the belt is roughly .86 parsecs, at his current speed, he will lose engine power at .3004 intersection mark."

"Data open a comm link. Alien Vessel, according to our sensors you are headed for total engine failure while in the asteroid belt, repeat, and engine failure. Request that you disengage from current course."

Starbuck listened to the voice over the comm link, and wondered why he now could understand the ship. He had to smile at what the alien ship was telling him. His reading told him he had enough power to get through the belt and back home. Unfortunately, his sensors where not as fine-tuned as the Enterprise.

"Alien vessel, my viper can handle it, and by the way, I am called Starbuck, pilot extraordinaire and imperial warrior 4ed class, presently assigned to the Battlestar Galactica."

Picard signaled the comm link to be cut. "I believe modesty is not a trait found in this species. Suggestions anyone?"

"Sir, he may be all that he claims, however, judging from our scans of his ship, he is unaware of the problem. This technology is comparable to Earth standard late 21st century before the 3rd World War and Cochran's discovery of warp Sir." Data again was checking his findings while talking to Picard.

*He likes titles, I will give him one * "Open a link," he waited a second. "Again, this is Captain Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise. I say again, our scanners are showing an instability in your engines, request that you slow down to 6.7 sublight speed to reduce chances of engine failure."

Starbuck had no idea what sublight initialed, and he was too worried to really listen to the 'Starship'. Opening his link, "Look, I am going in the belt, it's the fastest way to get back to my ship; follow if you want, Starbuck out." With that he pushed his viper, stressing the engine even more and entered the belt.

Picard signed. *What a reckless pilot * "Data, stay close to him and match his moves, when his engines go, I want an immediate emergency beam out to transporter room one. Standard protocols for unknown species."

Picard sat back and waited for the inevitable. The whole bridge was impressed with the alien pilot's flying, it was tight -and the crew could sense that the pilot had exceptional talent when it came to flying. Quietly, Picard asked for the distance, not wanting to break reverie of the crew watching a truly remarkable show.

"Sir, we are coming up to .3004 mark," Data reported.

At the same time Worf reported, "Sir, his engines are going to malfunction about now."

On cue, the viper sputtered and groaned and headed right into a very large asteroid.

Starbuck had no idea, one moment he was there, the next he found himself sitting on a floor in a strange room. He looked up to see two men in red uniforms standing beside a woman, obviously human. Quickly getting up, Starbuck reached for his weapon, upholstered it and steadied the aim in front of the men.

At that moment, Picard entered the room. "Starbuck, I believe? There is no need to draw your weapon." Starbuck just looked at him. "Computer activate universal translator, tie into my signal until further notice. " He repeated himself.

Starbuck studied the man, clearly he was the man in charge. It occurred to him that all men of power had that particular look of never having to ask twice. "Why can I understand you now and a millicron earlier, I could not?"

Picard was in his element now. "It is the universal translator, and Starbuck, if you holster your weapon, I can release the force field and we can talk. Are you hunger, thirsty?" He did not bother to tell Starbuck that his weapon was made useless by the transporter, in time he would understand.

"No, and how did you know my ship was going to fail and how did I get here?" Starbuck asked these questions while holstering his weapon.

"We are not from this space, we fell into a spatial rift, my people are trying to figure out where we are located. We know we are still in our universe but where in space, we do not know." Pausing, "Computer release force field."

There was shimmer that Starbuck saw. Judging it was safe, he stepped down to face the Captain. "So, what happens now? Am I your prisoner?"

Picard shook his head; "No you are not. I want to thank you for intervening earlier. I have questions, but I would like our Chief Medical Officer to check you out. How long have you been in your ship, may I ask? He directed Starbuck to follow him as he waited for his answer.

"I was on a long range scouting mission,. I am not due back until the 28th cycle." He spoke to the captain but his eyes were taking in all of the sights, he counted at least seven aliens besides these humans. As he approached the turbo lift, he asked the question that was floating in the back of his mind.

"What planet are you from?"

"A lot of the crew and I are from the planet Earth and the rest..."

Before he could answer completely, Starbuck became very agitated; "You're from the planet Earth! By temples of Kobor, the Gods, we've been looking for you for yarns. How did you get here, where is Earth? Is she safe?"

Picard could see the excitement in his eyes and a small smile crept on his own face. *Well, at least they are happy to see us. But who are you and where are we?* He thought, out loud he responded, "I will answer all your questions. However, let's get you to sickbay so a universal translator can be implanted."

Starbuck froze when he heard the word 'implanted'. Picard noticed the young man freeze, "Every citizen in Federation space has one implanted at birth, it allows us to speak to the hundreds of species that comprise the United Federation of Planets. It is perfectly safe and without it, we would have to use the ship computers. Naturally in an emergency, if the computers are down..." He let Starbuck come to the conclusion himself.

They both entered the room and noticed that the triage medical care was almost over. Only the severely injured were still in sickbay. A woman with the longest auburn hair he had ever seen stood next to a man who was lying in a bio-bed. She was holding his hand.

Dr. Crusher looked over to see her captain and the strange pilot that actually dared to fly into an asteroid belt with minimal shields. Walking over to them, she nodded to the captain and put her best smile forward.

"I'm the Chief Medical Officer of this ship, and I am sure the captain has explained why you are here. Any questions?"

Starbuck struggled not to yawn and shook his head. Picard looked over to where Riker was and, with his eyes, conveyed his concern for his Number One. At that moment, Data's voice filtered through the silence.

"Sir, astrometrics has figured out where we are and…" Picard interrupted Data by slapping his comm link, "Hold off on that information for now. When we clear the belt I want a senior level meeting. I believe our visiting pilot can fill in the blanks for us."

"Yes, Sir. We've increased speed to full impulse, and we should be out of the belt in another two hours and twenty minutes," Data replied.

At that moment, Starbuck removed his helmet. Picard finally could see that the pilot looked totally human. He sparkled with the joy of life, yet around his eyes held deep sorrow. Picard could tell this, for he rarely stared into anyone eyes, except Q's, and..., realizing where his thoughts were going, he gave himself a mental shake. Picard stated to Starbuck, "I will have someone escort you to the briefing room, until then...." He stooped as the pain in his shoulder reintroduced itself. Looking at Dr. Crusher, he stated the obvious, "I will see you when time permits. He nodded at the two and quickly left.

Dr. Crusher couldn't help herself, she thought him to be very attractive and she put more softness in her voice than needed.

"Starbuck? Would you care to lie on the table? The procedure is quite painless and I need to make a full diagnostic, it will be a few minutes."

Starbuck found himself following her to a bio-bed and growling, "I do not like doctors, and I am perfectly able to sit up while this translator thing is installed. Where by the way, is it installed?"

Dr. Crusher smiled. "It's implanted in the brain behind the right ear." And with that she injected him with a mild sedative. Before he could react he was sound asleep. While she installed the translator into Starbuck, she did a complete scan, except for some genetic drift he was definitely human. As she stood there, studying the silent face, she took her regenerator and repaired his facial wounds and weaken kidneys, and detox his liver.

"Clearly this man is living on the physical limits of his body's endurance." She thought.



An hour and half later in the captain's conference room.

"So, you are telling us that these cylons are intent on destroying the human race?" Was all La Forge could say to the outlandish story that Starbuck told them.

"That is preposterous, if our ship was 100 percent efficient, these cylons would be no match for us! They are a inferior Borg collective by your description of them," Worf growled.

Starbuck watched the officers' eyes widen in fascination as his story unfolded. "Look, we do not have this warp technology. But we do have hyper drive and yes, we are moving slowly because of the number of ships we are protecting. The Pegasus is in the rear hitting them and slowing them down. But our resources are low and we could use your help. I am sure Commander Adama and The Council of 12 would gladly accept any offers. He pause and tried not sound like a kid at his own birthday party. So, where is earth located?"

At this point Data got up and activated a screen on the sidewall. "The rift was in space, not time. Earth is here in the Alpha quadrant; we are here at the tail end of the beta quadrant. If we had maximum warp we are 70 years away from the edge of the alpha quadrant. By current maximum speed, 230.7 years."

It was Data that explained the conversion of Starbuck's time and distance terminology to earth standard. Starbuck gave a low whistle; he realized as everyone else that they were stuck in the 'BQ' unless they found a way home. Even if the Galactica could use its hyper drive it would take about the same time to reach earth. "Well a spatial rift got you here, looks like you will need one to get back."

Starbuck's flippant remark held more truth than sarcasm.

Picard again felt the 'click' in his head. "Data use the array and set the parameters for finding spatial anomalies that mirror the rift we came through. Geordi, I want probability models of making our own rift. I think it's time we took our guest home." At that, Picard got up, and as everyone was leaving, Dr. Crusher walked up to Starbuck. She suggested that she give him a tour of the ship. He agreed and both of them walked out of the room.

When the room was emptied, Picard turned to Crewman Joss. "Opinions, counselor?"

Crewman Joss allowed her symbiant to take more control than she would have preferred, but to do this job; it was the only logical recourse.

"I think he is telling us the truth. They have a unique blend of twentieth first-century and current technology. They may appear backwards, but I would not underestimate their technology, they may be able to help us."

Picard took this in. "And how does the crew feel?"

Joss blushed. "Sir, as you know I was chosen for Voxen because I had a higher empathy rating than the average Trill does. I chose not to go into counseling for personal reasons. However, when we get home, I would like to take care of my children." She paused. "I sense that the crew is on edge. However, all the members of the senior staff feel that you will find a way home soon."

Picard took this all in and then asked another question out of the blue. "What do you think of Starbuck?"

Joss did not understand why the captain would ask the question. "I sense from him what could only be described as awe, Sir. You and the ship intrigue him, but his feelings are stronger when he is directing his attention to you, Sir. However, there is an undercurrent that I feel is a barrier to a..."she paused, trying to find the words, "wall of sorrow that is always trying to push forward."

Picard thought this over. "That will be all." As she left, Picard entered a series of co-ordinates into the computer. He then tapped his comm link, "Picard to the bridge, I just relayed a set of co-ordinates, I want full impulse, and I want us to be well out of their sensor range when we stop to talk to them."

Data's voice came over the comm link, "Sir, at that speed it will be seven point nine hours till we enter these co-ordinates. Do you want to be advised when we stop?"

"Yes, Picard out." As he turned to reach for another report, he felt his stomach rumble. It then occurred to him that he had not eaten in two days, he walked over to his replicator and attempted to decided what to eat. On a whim, Picard assumed that his guest probably was just as famished as he was. On impulse, he opened his link to Dr. Crusher. " Beverly, is our guest still with you?"

Dr. Crusher responded, "Yes."

Picard smile. "When you are finished with the tour, direct him to my quarters. Picard out."

Thirty minutes later a befuddled Starbuck chimed the keypad to the captain's quarters.

"Enter." Was all he heard. When he entered, he noticed that the captain's quarters where as immense as Adama's or any of The Council of 12. "Rank sure does have its perks," he thought.

Starbuck observed that Picard was still in uniform, and a table for two was set. His stomach began to growl.

"Welcome to my quarters, Starbuck, I thought you'd prefer a quiet meal before we arrive at your ship. Are you thirsty?"

"I really have no idea what you have to drink. So, I will leave that up to you." Starbuck put his best smile forward, instantly soothing the captain's worries that he had breached an unspoken protocol. By the conversion that Data had given him, Starbuck realized he was the equivalent of an ensign junior grade, command track.

Picard walked over to the replicator. "Two glasses of red wine, vintage 2335." Two glasses of wine magically appeared. Picard took the two glasses and walked to where Starbuck was standing.

"I hope you enjoy this, it is a specialty of earth, it is called wine." Starbuck just stared at the wine.

He tentatively took a sip and smiled, it tasted just like Casprina Vine drink. "Maybe we have a lot in common." He thought. Out loud he said, "This is good." Showing his enthusiasm for the drink, Starbuck took a healthy swallow, emptying his glass.

Picard walked over the replicator, feeling quite generous Picard stated, "Computer, two bottles of red wine, vintage 2335. Picard preference omega three A." Two bottles already opened in individual ice buckets, materialized. Picard picked one bucket and brought it to the table.

There was a comfortable silence as the men drank the bottle down whilst viewing the stars gliding by at sub-warp.

"This is a beautiful sight, Sir. In hyper space the stars blur, here they seem to dance around us."

Picard looked at the younger man and nodded, there was no need to add to his observation.

"I chose a specialty of North America for you to taste. It is, according to my Number One, a true American delicacy."

Picard walked the man over to the table and served him a classic T-bone and potato with a side salad. He served himself the same items and sat down to eat.

Over the course of the meal, Starbuck regaled Picard with stories of the 12 colonies and his exploits in helping to defend the last two Battlestars. The dinner lasted for over an hour and Picard had allowed himself to do something he rarely did, he almost matched the young man glass for glass of the wine.

"...So, there I was with this pair of moons and Jax's looking like he had a full pyramid. I looked into his eyes and I just knew he was bluffing. I threw my whole credit allotment in for the month; he took the bait and I won." Starbuck was laughing so hard, he grabbed his side.

"Er, where is your refresher, Sir?"

"Starbuck, we have broken bread and wine, I think in the privacy of my quarters you can call me Jean-Luc. And, the refresher is through the next room; it is open. Did Beverly or one of her assistance's show you how to use our refreshers?"

Starbuck nodded and got slowly. He walked lightly through Picard's bedroom and into the bathroom. After relieving himself, he noticed he was staring at himself through a reflector. *Well, you think you made an impression on him? I think I did. * He paused to think of Apollo, *Frack, what he won't know, won't hurt him...or me I hope.* Walking out of the bathroom, Starbuck looked at the bed, forgetting everything his body swan dived into it. He was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

Picard was straightening up, putting the last of the trays back into the replicator when he heard Starbuck's snores. He quietly walked into the room. Sighing, he took the honorable course of action. He pulled off Starbuck's boots, relieved him of his holster and covered him with the coverlet. Picard then drained the rest of his wine and went to lay down on the sofa in his living room. Deciding that modesty should prevail, he left his uniform on while taking off his boots.

As he lay down, a bright light winked into the room.

"So, Moi Capitane, have you missed me?" Q was dressed in what appeared to be a ridiculous outfit. It looked like a child's version of a Christmas tree. With his arms and legs draped in black leather.

"Q." All the effects of the wine left the moment he heard his voice. "Have you caused this to happen? If so, fix it, now." At the same time the comm link opened up, Worf's voiced floated over the room.

"Sir, our scanners show that an energy source has appeared in your room. Would you like a security detail to be dispatched?"

"No! It is Q, and he is leaving, now." Was Picard's statement to Worf.

"Very well, Sir, Worf out."

"Q, why have you done this? And why allow my security to know you're here? Not bothering for an explanation he added, "And brings us back now."

"Oh no Johnny, you said yourself that this was just a shakedown cruise. It would be nice if I could see how this rust bucket of yours works at its fullest potential." Q flashed back to his standard Admiral Fleet Uniform while he spoke.

"What's the point, Q? My ship is not at full potential and my Number One is severally injured and so is Troi, and countless others have died." Picard was seething when he realised again that through Q he had become the conduit of more deaths.

"Well, Johnny, you are right. Tell you what, I will fix some of it. But you have to get back on your own." He eyes twinkled and he flashed out while he snapped his fingers.

Almost immediately Picard received incoming calls from sickbay, and the bridge.

Sighing, he hit the comm link and told all departments to meet him in his ready room in five minutes. He paused at the replicator, requesting a detox mix. Injecting himself with it, he immediately became more alert. He then placed his boots back on and went to his private turbo lift.

When he walked in, his eyes did a double take. There in their respective seats were Riker and Troi, looking just as confused as he was. To dispel any true emotions, he said one word, "Q." He paused to acknowledged all department heads' nods. "It seems he wants to see how my ship handles itself on a shakedown cruise, report."

It was Data that informed the captain. "No statues change on any of the ship's functions, however, all initial crew members who were injured have been revived."

"I can see. Counselor, Number One, welcome back." Both officers smiled. "I wanted a full level one diagnostic on all ship functions anyway. We are going to meet our brethren in three hours."

It was La Forge who asked, "Since Data has been working with astrometrics, he has been able to increase the arrays capabilities. Should we not ask Starbuck to join in our analysis of our findings, since he knows this space better?

Thinking of the young warrior lying in his bed, he decided to give him the luxury of a couple of hours of sleep. "No, continue as planned. We will meet thirty minutes before we drop out of our present speed." With that said, he dismissed all but Riker and Troi.

When the room was emptied. "Welcome back, both of you. Counselor, I believe crewman Joss was taking over your duties while you were...gone. Number one, I believe the record logs will bring you up to speed. It seems we have what Worf described as a poor imitation of Borg in this quadrant, attempting to wipe out the humans here. I want suggestions on how to combat this threat and I want a way home. Q is involved, so I know there is a way. Dismissed."

Both Troi and Riker nodded and the captain was left alone to write his report.



Several Hours Later

The command staff was in the conference room. And, the news was not good.

"What we know is that a replica of the anomaly, which caused us to enter this region of space, has been found on long range scanners. It is 90 light years away at these co-ordinates. Due to the distance, our scanners are not able to receive a comprehensive reading, as we get closer we will be able to receive more detail of that area of space. At current maximum warp it will takes 47 months to get there. Assuming that we can create the exact conditions without photon torpedoes, Sir, we should be back in the alpha quadrant."

Starbuck looked at the display and bit his lower lip. Before he could think he whispered out loud, "Frack."

The entire room looked at him. Trying not to show fear, he realised where it was located. "That anomaly is located in the heart of the twelve colonies. It took the Galactica and the armada seven yarns to leave that quadrant of space. As I've said before, we have been fleeing for close to eight yarns. Even if the Galactica could use its hyper drive, it would take us at least four yarns to get back to our solar system. And, that would leave our colony ships defenseless against cylon attacks. But, hey I am just a Viper pilot, I have no idea what Commander Adama and The Council of 12 will want to do."

Picard thought on what Starbuck said. "Well, I think it is time we found out."

After stating that, Picard and the command staff got up and started to move toward the bridge. Picard motioned with his eyes for Starbuck to stay behind.

When the command staff had left the room, Picard asked, "I hope you slept well, did you use the detox mix that was left? I would not want to get you in trouble with your commanding officers for being drunk on duty." Picard smile was warm and concerned.

"Yes, and yes. Thank you. I have not slept that well in yarns. Believe me, Sir, our quarters are tiny on the Galactica for standard crew."

Picard nodded in agreement and walked out into the bridge, taking his seat. Riker on his left and Troi on his right. Starbuck stood off to the left, waiting to see the reaction of this crew to the Galactica. He truly believed that they had no idea how large a Battlestar is. He did not have to wait long.

"Sir, we are outside their sensor range. Visual now on screen," Data stated.

The entire bridge crew held its collective breath; the Galactica was basically the size of a Borg cube. "Sir, sensors reading eight thousand life forms, all humanoid."

Worf from tactical interjected, "Reading indicates 791 vipers, and 546 star fairing craft of various size and of unknown design. Their propulsion is reading a 'modified warp drive.' I believe that is what Starbuck described in our briefing, Sir."

Starbuck was familiar with the basics of the Enterprise's sensors; he was shocked that earth's technology seemed to far exceed his comprehension and his fleet's technology. Clearing his throat, he requested a channel to the `CC' room. Giving the frequency, he asked if visuals could be given.

Troi suggested, "Hold on visuals, Sir. I think we should make introductions via audio only first."

Picard without looking at Troi, stated, "Make it so."

Data touching the key pad, looked up while saying, "I have audio contact only now, Sir."

Clearing his throat, he easily fell into professional mode, "CC, this is Starbuck, I am returning from patrol. Urgent that I speak to Apollo, is he there?"

A female voice came over the comm link, "Wait one millicron, I will connect you to Apollo's quarters." There was a brief pause and a tonal sound that came over the link, it sounded to Picard like the old fashion telephones' he used in his holodeck detective stories.

"Starbuck, by the Tower of Kobal, I thought I'd have to come after you. Wait, did you follow the flight path, and if not, in what direction did you end up?"

Starbuck was clearly lost in hearing his lover's voice, "How much did you make on me this time? I want half."

"Hey, boy. I own your ass, so what is yours is mine, did you go through the asteroid belt?"

"Yes, twice."

"Frack, I should have doubled my bet. So when are you coming in? I'm lonely." The intent of Apollo's voice was obvious to the whole bridge crew. Turning bright red, Starbuck delved headfirst into the news.

"I went through the belt and found some people from earth. They're with me now and they want to speak to Commander Adama. Oh, and there is a cylon Basestar on the other side of the belt swinging around to intercept us."

Apollo listened and repeated what he wanted to hear; "I'll get CC on alert. Frack, I just knew it was too easy, we've not seen them for a half of yarn. When you come aboard, come up to CC and we can tell my father. And, then we can have dinner." His tone belayed a clear sense of what desert would consist of being.

"Apollo, I am serious. I met some people from the 13th tribe. If you don't believe me, let me introduce you to one." He then tilted his head to Picard.

"Hello, Apollo. I am Captain Picard of the Starship Enterprise from the United Federation of Planets from Earth."

There was silence on the line and then sounds of what seemed to be objects falling.

"Uh, Starship Enterprise, can you transmit visual to command central in five microns?"

"Yes, if you give us the frequency I can. And, we will introduce ourselves to your commander. Enterprise out."

Picard looked at Troi.

"I sense surprise but honesty, I believe we will meet the commander in a short while."

"You can tell that just by listening to him?" Starbuck was amazed. He could sense some feelings, but he had to be able to see the person and, sometimes, he had to touch them to really sense their true intentions.

Picard got up from his chair and put his best game face on. First contact was always difficult. But this would be harder, because up until a few minutes ago, Earth was an elusive legend, not real for these humans.

Pulling his jacket down in his classic maneuver, he looked into the view screen, a grainy black and white picture emerged. "Data, can you clean the transmission."

As an image came over with the transmission, Data replied, "It seems they are using a version late 21st century earth's standard video transmission. I can clean it up some."

An elegant older man stood in front of the screen. "I am Commander Adama of the Battlestar Galactica. And to whom to do I have the pleasure of talking to?"

Picard completed the hail and they agreed for the Enterprise to come along side them. Picard didn't tell them about transporter technology. Instead, Picard suggested that one of his shuttles transfer Starbuck, and his away team to meet on the Galactica.

When the transmission was over, Starbuck looked incredulously at Picard.

"Why did you not tell them about your transporters?" It was then that Troi stepped in to explain.

"Starbuck, how would you feel if you were on your ship and someone just materialized in front of you?"

"Well, I would think my security was threatened because I could go around..." his voice stopped as his mind raced to its obvious conclusion. "I guess you do not want me to say anything about what I've seen on this ship?" Starbuck truly looked like a kid denied the chance to tell the class he saw the teacher kissing.

His eyes sparkled. "Well, I can keep my mouth shut for a price."

Picard struggled to keep his temper in check when he grasped that the young pilot was attempting to blackmail him.

Sensing the captain irritation, Riker responded with a cool dry tone, "It depends on what you want."

Slapping his palms together. "Lets see, I want in on whatever the plans are and if there are any command function celebrations, I want to be personally invited."

Riker smiled at the same time Picard did. Trying not to let his amusement show, he sounded grave. "As long as you do not anti-up anymore, I think we can keep you apprised of what we are planning and yes if they are any public functions I think you could be invited."

Starbuck looked at Riker. "No, that is not what I want. First of all, I will know what's up. Apollo and I hold no secrets. I want in on any mission. I want in if there are any private command functions. Those are my terms. If not, I am going to have some wonderful stories to tell over pyramids on the friendship's vessels."

Riker sized up the young man. "Okay. I can agreed to private command functions. But I am not your commanding officer. I do not know what they would think if we started to ask for you if any away missions came up."

Starbuck smiled. "Well, nothing if I were made direct liaison and under your command while I was here. Hell, I should be a commander senior grade if it were not for a few minor incident on the pleasure ships and else where."

Riker thought a moment and quickly asked, "What makes you think I will keep our bargain once you come under my command, ensign?" He deliberately said the rank to stress to Starbuck how far down the food chain he was in the command structure.

It was then that Starbuck reached with his mind to touch Riker and he knew that Riker would honor the agreement, no matter what his personal beliefs were. "Well, commander, do I get to keep my uniform or do I get to dress in red?" A smile crossed his lips.



4-Three Weeks Later

Aboard the Enterprise in Ten Forward, Starbuck tried not to look forlorn. There was a festive atmosphere though the crews of both were still feeling themselves out.

Riker and Counselor Troi were exhausted. The meeting with the council was more difficult to moderate than a meeting at Babble debating the Klingon peace agreement. In the end, Picard and Adama's plan seemed the most logical.

Starbuck would be assigned along two squadrons of vipers, which consisted of a total of 26 craft. They would be housed in the two main shuttle bays; one in the aft section, the other in the port section. It would be a tight fit with the shuttles. However, Worf and La Forge both insisted that if given extreme latitude, they could make it work.

What extreme latitude actual entailed, Riker was amazed to learn. The vipers were stack upon each other in the mode of how ancient aircraft planes were housed in the giant sea faring aircraft carriers of the late 20th and early 21st century.

The Enterprise would warp back at its current maximum warp to their home galaxy; there the Enterprise would put all of its power to its shields, which would make it offensive-less. The 26 vipers would be equipped to launch the modified torpedoes that had the same yield potential as each multiple photon torpedo. If it worked, the rift would fold on the Enterprise. The vipers then would high tale it back to the Pegasus and regroup with the Galactica. Starfleet would be apprised of the situation, and help would be on its way.

Standing next to what looked liked live worms; Starbuck tried not to turn green. Apollo approached and slapped him on the back.

"How did you worm your way into this choice assignment? I mean, everyone wants in and you get to be the first pilot chosen. And, become the official liaison from Fleet. Adama will only tell me that they wanted you?"

Starbuck's eyes twinkled. "I have friends in high places." With that said, Starbuck stepped into Apollo's personal space, smelling the musk of his lover. "I want you tonight, no games, please. I want you. We can use my quarters on this ship. I think you will like it." He lightly bit Apollo's earlobe as he finished his statement.

Apollo took Starbuck's hand, leading him to the entrance. They did not get far. Riker waved to indicate he wanted a word. Starbuck approached Riker with a twinkle in his eye.

"Yes, Sir."

"Just wanted to let you know that we are having a command briefing at 07:30 hrs, Alpha shift. Be there."

*Frack* "Thanks for telling me, I just love early morning meetings." as the only reply that he could offer.

Apollo grabbed Starbuck's hand, pulling him along the corridor to the turbo lift. "Deck 11," was all Starbuck said while he claimed Apollo's lips. Upon entering the room, Apollo was impressed.

"By the Lords of Kobol, this is almost as big as my father's quarters." Apollo could not take his eyes of the panoramic view of the Galactica that sprawled in front of him.

"I know, because I am the official liaison, your father will reinstate my rank upon completion of this mission. So, I better get everyone home, alive. This room is the average size for all command staff personal on this ship...except the captain's, his is twice as big."

Apollo smiled at the unintentional double entrendre that Starbuck made. "Hmmm, twice as big...come here and let me show you big.

Their lovemaking had an languid feel which their bodies in tune melded and flowed together. It was special for both. Apollo being in a particular loving mood let Starbuck take the lead. It was not often that he allowed that pleasure to Starbuck. And, Apollo wanted it to be special for his pet.

Apollo let Starbuck cuddle up next to him, while he traced the many scars on Starbuck's back. He could not help the stirring in his loins as Starbuck shuddered.

"I want you to take care of Zax and Ben. Father allowed them to enter the lottery for this mission and they were chosen. Shit, Starbuck, I should be going, not those two."

Starbuck heard but did not bother to move, he only mumbled, "CC would not let you and Zax and Ben go. Both of them won the their slot for this mission. Apollo, I am telling you that this ship, if it were fully operational, would cut through the cylons like spread on bread. I was given a brief tour when I came on before, and even the Galactica would be hard pressed to hold its own with this ship. Besides, Zax and Ben will never be flying at the same time, until needed. I promise. I will put them in different units. That way there will only be one out on normal patrols. Okay? I promise. Now, where were we?

With that said, Starbuck, in one fell swoop, devoured Apollo's fully aroused organ.

*****

The next morning at 0700 hrs, Starbuck watched his lover dematerialize in front of him. Sighing and wondering if he would ever be comfortable with Earth's technology, he sighed again, and went to the morning briefing.


Sitting, waiting for the meeting to begin, Starbuck pulled his cigar out of his pocket and lit it. As he enjoyed the texture of the smoke in his mouth and lungs, Commander Riker growled at him to put out `that smoke' before the internal fire extinguishers went off. Grinding his teeth, he dosed the cigar in the only available ashtray, his morning cup of coffee.

The meeting did not last long. The news was not good. Because of the weakened condition of the dilithium crystals, the ship could only sustain its current maximum warp for 97 hours, then basically it would have to stop to recharge. This added delay would add another year and half to the journey, and everyone suppressed an urge to moan. It was Worf's concern about the safety of the ship that prompted Starbuck to open his mouth.

"Sir, my squadrons could take short patrols while your engines cooled- it would keep my men sharp, considering they would be on board for the entire run."

Picard looked at Riker, allowing him to ask the question.

"What happens if your ships encounter's cylons? The last thing we need is for them to find us and go hunting."

"Sir, My men are quite capable of hiding and not being seen. We can fly blind around those rust buckets. And, Sir, we would only engage if they attacked first."

Riker jumped in on that note. "No, you will wait for orders from us, Ensign."

Starbuck was just about to tell Riker to shove that order when the captain interjected, looking directly into Starbuck's eyes, "I believe the ensign understands the chain of command, Number One." Starbuck returned the gaze, attempting to build enough saliva in mouth to answer him, he only nodded when he sensed his mouth was bone dry.

"Well, the first part of the journey starts with the first step. Number One, lets get home," Picard stated as he rose from his chair to enter the bridge.



Part Two

Seven months later, Starbuck and his crew were bouncing off the walls. Since all available power had to be used for the engines and shields, none of the holodecks were working. Starbuck found himself drinking more and longing for Apollo. He still was grousing as he heard Riker's words float through his head again for the millionth time.

"As a commander of your squadron and liaison, you can not go on any unnecessary patrols, Ensign."

They were deep in cylon space and had not engaged any of the patrols they had encountered. The Enterprise's scanners' even working at 20% of normal capacity were still a lot more sophisticated then the Galactica own.

Early into the seven month, Riker and the captain were going over the efficiency reports. When Picard asked off handily, "So, how is our guest doing?" By using the singular, and not the plural; Riker immediately knew that Picard wanted to know how Starbuck was doing. He decided to be brutally honest with him.

Riker quickly exhaled and stated, "Sir, the man is impulsive and at least twice a week, I've received reports of him trying to get the Beta and Delta shift personnel to allow him access to his ship."

Picard smiled, remember reading the creative reasons why the officer on deck should allow him to leave.

"I do believe the man needs to be more involved, Will. He has shown his leadership qualities. I have read the reports that his superiors sent over."

"I too have read them, but he shows a definite lack of respect for authority and he his prone to extreme violence according to his file. Sir, he does respond to your authority. May I suggest you speak with him?"

At that point, Picard suddenly felt imposed on. "Well, I was thinking of you, Will…he has qualities that I saw years ago when I took you in as my Number One."

"But, no matter what I do or say, all he wants to do is fly his ship," Riker snapped.

"Well, Will since Crusher is at the academy and Lieutenant Hawk's death, we are in need of another navigator, I think we can rotate him into the schedule as a relief pilot starting tomorrow. It is turning out to be relatively easy run, and the engines are only into their second cycle before we have to rest."

Starbuck stood in front of the door, wondering why he was summoned to see Riker. Since the day he made his deal with Riker, he sensed that the man just did not like him, though he would keep his word. Pressing the chime, the door opened and he stepped into the office.

"I was told to stop by after my shift. What's up?"

"Are you aware of our protocol, ensign," Riker tersely replied.

"Yes, Sir." Standing at attention Starbuck said, "Ensign Starbuck, liaison to the Enterprise from the Galactica, reporting as ordered. Sir."

Riker smiled. "Nothing phased this man, and his arrogance is felt under the guise of military formality," he thought

"This is the last time I will call you in for this ensign, you will not, repeat, not take any viper out on patrols is that understood? When we get closer to our destination, I will reconsider your request."

"Sir with all due respect, I need to be as sharp as my men, when we engage the cylons. You are going to need the best, and I am the best, Sir." His tones brooked no argument.

"Well you may be the best, want to prove it?" Riker waited for Starbuck's eyes to light up.

"Starting tomorrow you will be piloting this ship as a relief pilot; be on deck at 1100 hrs, dismissed."



Next Day

Starbuck entered the bridge quietly, waiting for Riker to finish a report. Without looking up, Riker told him to take the seat.

With an air of arrogance, Starbuck swaggered up the seat and swung his leg over the seat effectively telling the bridge that he was on duty. Riker had to smile, in his academy days he too approached the navigation chair the same way. Riker thought that Picard was right, maybe there was more to Starbuck then he was seeing.

A few hours later, Starbuck was bored. The ship may be the jewel of the fleet but flying it was like flying a pleasure ship, it flew iitself with few adjustments. Without thinking, Starbuck took out his blaster and started to twirl it like a baton. While making another slight course correction with his free hand.

"What are you doing, ensign?" The voice was quiet but the tone belayed the astonishment that underlined the question.

Without turning round Starbuck lazily stated, "I made another course correction of .000031 to keep us on optimum vector Sir."

"No, not that! What are you doing?"

At that, he smoothly holstered his weapon. "Nothing now, Sir."

Riker walked behind him. "On the bridge, ensign, you will wear a Starfleet uniform, and since our uniforms do not have blasters, you will keep that weapon off my bridge, do you understand me?"

Starbuck was about to tell him what he understood when the klaxons went off.

Riker quickly looked at Worf and immediately asked for a status report.

"Sir, sensors are showing several ships heading on an intercept course, they will be in visual in three minutes."

Starbuck asked the question at the same time Riker did. "Where did they come from?"

"The solar system two light years away. I think we are just in the wrong place at the wrong time Sir."

At that point, Picard entered the bridge, "Report."

"It appears we have a cylon patrol heading our way from the planet in the solar system in front of us. Suggest evasive delta pattern three Sir."

Picard took his seat, "Make it so. Ensign, evasive maneuvers delta three on my mark."

Starbuck looked at the controls trying desperately to re-call the standard coordinates of that maneuver, and failing miserable. As he looked at the coordinates of the ship and the cylon patrol on his display screen. He heard over his shoulder Picard say, "Mark."

"Frack!" He punched the coordinates that swung the ships out going down and away from the coming ships, pushing the ship to its maximum warp for 3 seconds.

The maneuver would have worked if it the ship hadn't bounced off a primitive passive sensor buoy; at that moment, the ships suddenly veered from their course, heading directly to intercept the Enterprise.

Riker looked at his readout and come to the same conclusion that Picard did. "Ensign do you know the sequencing for that maneuver?"

Starbuck was at loss, swallowing his pride, he looked at Riker and stated, "No, this was the better sequence, Sir. We can get to the 5th planet's moon faster, and hide, Sir."

At that moment, Worf stated as the klaxons diminished, "Sir, we seem to have hit a passive sensor grid. They are now at an intercept course, will be in visual in t four minutes."

"Sir, if they see us and report it back to their base, they will know we are here. Request that we take them out." Starbuck fingers itched to touch his comm link as he spoke to the captain.

Picard thought about that for a split second and had to conclude he was right. "Number One, take the helm, and make it so."

At that command, Starbuck hit his comm. link. "Gold squadron prepare for combat."

Knowing that he was effectively relieved of the helm, Starbuck jumped from his seat to give Riker room to maneuver.

Riker looked at Starbuck and stated with smug satisfaction. "Stay and learn, ensign."

A few minutes later, gold squadron was in front of the Enterprise heading to meet the cylon's ships. Without thinking to ask, Starbuck opened his link. "Gold squadron, I want full jamming frequencies. Take them out."

Picard listened to Starbuck and turned to Worf. "I want an open link for all the vipers. Mr. Data, using our equipment, could we block their transmitters from here?"

Data stared into space for a moment. "Yes, we can, but we would have to move closer to the battle to maximize effectiveness."

Picard, getting up from his seat, told Data, "Make it so. Number One, move up behind them to allow Mr. Data better access. When in range begin blocking protocols"

The cylon ships entered the battle not knowing that the Enterprise and the vipers were jamming their signals. Sixteen cylon ships faced 13 imperial vipers.

It was over in several minutes. Several minutes to relive again in Starbuck's mind forever.

Five cylons broke away from the battle, heading for the Enterprise. Worf destroyed two but three got through and were closing in on the Enterprise. It was Worf's voice over the comm link that said, "Viper veer off, repeat veer off. You are coming in too fast."

It was Zac on the link, "… just a micron, Enterprise, gonna bag me a star."

It was Starbuck's voice then that shouted into the link, "Zax get outta there, you'll bounce off the shields; pull up and let her take them out."

"Starbuck, I learnt from the best, my man. I can do this, firing now." A flash and a shout of joy floated over the bridge.

"I'm giving you a direct order, Mister, pull up before the other two zero on you." All Starbuck could do was watch as Worf furiously attempted to manually track the cylon ships, the auto lock failed again two minutes into the battle. As the Enterprise felt the impact of the viper skimming the force field, it flew wide into an arch right in between the ships.

Starbuck opened his mouth to scream as Zac's viper flashed into pieces. Worf at the same time hit one of the ships, and then the other. The fight was over.

He heard the captain secure from red alert, he heard Riker telling him to go to sick bay, he felt the cold hypo on his neck, and he saw nothing.

Two days later, Starbuck stood in front of the review board that included Picard, Riker, Data, Troi, and Worf.

"Not only have your disregard for orders, you cost the life of one of your crewman, ensign. Your lack of responsibility was the deciding factor in your crewman's death. You are relieved of command, ensign and though I will not put you in the brig, you are restricted to your quarters until otherwise told. Dismissed, ensign." Picard coldly stated.

Starbuck left, relieved that he was not going to prison. He knew that it was only a matter of time before that would change. Saluting briskly, he turned and left.

"Can we still attempt the maneuver with only 25 vipers, Data?" Picard asked.

"We can modify a shuttle but we will need a volunteer to stay behind, Sir."

"Well, we will come to that when we have to, we still have 68 months left before we arrive at the anomaly."

At this point, Troi spoke up, "Sir, request that Starbuck be allowed to go to the funeral services that are to be held at 1700 hrs. It appears that though Zac was only on the ship for a short time, he made a lot of friends. I think Starbuck needs this too come to terms with his actions."

Picard nodded, he knew as commanding officer; he would have to be there also: as it was the custom of sea captains for eons.

The room was quiet; Starbuck dressed in imperial formal wear. He waited for each man in the squadron to place a memento into the torpedo bed as was the custom of fallen warriors whose bodies could not be found. Each crew mate told a brief story of their favorite memory of Zac. When it was Starbuck's turn, he approached the torpedo bed, holding a small sac. Gulping for air, Starbuck cleared his throat.

"When we lived on Caspian before the exodus, Apollo and I were on leave from the academy our junior year,. It also was our last year on Caspian, I staid over at their house. One evening we were playing catch with this rock, running the doggit wild. By unspoken design, we refused to let Zac play. I don't know who was more wore out, both trying to catch the rock. It seemed funny at the time. But now I should have realized that all he ever wanted to do was join in and we- I would never let him." Tears were streaming down his face; wiping his eyes he held up the rock for everyone to see. It was common rock on their planet and other worlds in their section of space. As he placed it into the bed, a shout came from the back.

"Wait a minute, what did you say, Starbuck?" A murmur broke through the crowd. La Forge was practically running up to the torpedo bed.

"I said we played catch with this rock…it is a common rock found on several planets- why?'

La Forge laughed out loud. "Did you say this rock is a common rock on a lot of planets?"

"Yes?" Starbuck was at loss in why he was so excited.

"Because we're going home!"

At that point, Picard stepped up to both of them. He looked at the rock and his chief engineer. Stating one word, "Explain."

"Sir, my visor is showing that this rock is a rough form of dilithium. Sir, I need to run some tests. I am sure I can adapt it to our warp core, we could have full power if I can realign the warp signature of this rock." Starbuck and the whole room broke into a million questions.

Several hours later in the captain's ready room, Data was confirming what the chief engineer had said.

"Sir, this rock is dilithium, a extremely rough grade, but it still can be used."

Picard could only say, "Remarkable and why did our sensors not pick this up?"

"Sir, we had no idea to scan for the signature, it is a rare mineral in our quadrant but according to Starbuck, there are numerous planets on our way that have an abundance of dilithium. Sir, we could use this one until we enter Starbuck's solar system and scan for a cleaner one, making the transfer when acquire the dilithium."

Picard, like the rest of the crew, was impatient to get home. "Make it so. I want maximum warp as soon as possible." He turned to his report that he was reading as Data and La Forge exited the room.

Three times the ship shuddered and once the core had to be dumped. The rock, because of its age and abuse, held too many micro-fissures to be helpful. It was decided that they would scan for a planet with dilithium crystals. A planet was found two months out of their projected route, it was a solar system on a technical point, it had one dwarf star and three planets and two moons. Neither plant could sustain life, but the readings indicated that the outer moon was rich in dilithium.

Since Starbuck was relieved of duty, Comdr. Riker took over the command of the viper squadrons. There was grumbling but all obeyed. Riker had to admit he expected an undisciplined group. He was pleasantly surprised that Starbuck had kept them in tight order. He did not have to work at increasing their proficiency in Starfleet protocol and training methods. He was also pleasantly surprised at the high level of esprit de corp the pilots projected.

Starbuck, on the other hand, went on a drinking binge that was halted when Troi came by see him. Not getting a response to the door chime, she allowed herself in. Troi found Starbuck in an alcohol stupor that she could not awaken him from. She called for a medical beam out.

"So, what can you tell me, Beverly?" Picard stood by the bio-bed eyeing the precarious signs that flashed overhead.

"Well, judging from his toxic levels and the damage to his liver. I would say for the last month he has not spent more than a couple of hours sober."

"I thought only synth-ale was available to all crew members under senior command rank through the replicators?" His voice belied his annoyance and concern.

"Yes, and normally it is but, when we placed him into his quarters, he was designated as liaison all diplomatic privileges. His rank as Ensign was never entered into the computers, Jean-Luc. I can repair his liver but that is not what concerns me. It is the scars all up and down his back and buttocks. There are a lot of deep scars. I would say the damage and degree of the scarring, someone tortured him. I am removing his scars, but I think you should know."

"I want the counselor to talk to him when he has fully recovered. Have the replicators altered to acknowledge his Star Fleet rank."

*****

Ten days later, Starbuck sat in front of Troi, trying not to fidget. "Ensign, I can feel your discomfort. And I am aware of your medication. You should not be under any physical stress but yet I sense it. I am here for you Starbuck."

Starbuck's leg jumped up and down going at warp speed. All he wanted to do was leave and have a drink. But, he could not. It was not until he was released from sickbay when he tried to get a decent drink, that the computer would tell him, "Access denied."

It would then, very politely tell him, his lack of alcohol choices would be explained by Counselor Troi. It took seven complete days before Starbuck broke and requested a meeting with Counselor Trio; Not wanting to seem impatient to see him it was another three days before Starbuck had his appointment.

"I do not understand why I can not drink. I can not fly, I am relieved of my duties and I am, if all goes right, will be hanged on after burners when I get back to Apollo. Now, I was ordered here to talk to you via your annoying computer. But, since I am Fracked anyway, I promise I will stay in my quarters now."

Troi had to fight back the emotional bitterness that flowed from him. "I want to help you, Starbuck, what can I do?"

As the door opened he turned to her. "Well, you can do several things; turn back time, let me fly, and allow me to drink what I choose. However, since you can not do any of these things, I will be going."

Counselor Troi knew as a counselor, the worst act she could do would allow him to drink, and since she was not a Q; the first request was out also. Smiling, she asked, "If I can get your flight status revised, would you talk to me?"

Starbuck stood at the door, looking forlorn. "Er, yes."

Troi smiled. "Ensign, if I can do that and you still are fighting these sessions, I will have your flight status pulled. Is that understood?"

At the next morning briefing, it was Troi who asked for a few moments with both Riker and Picard.

"I can make progress with him if he is given active flight status" Before she could further explain the situation, it was Riker who flatly stated,

"No, we have only 25 vipers. He is unpredictable. I will not jeopardize the mission any further if he destroys another viper."

Troi thought about this. "Well maybe we could let him fly one of our shuttles?" Riker's whole body language balked at Starbuck using a Starfleet shuttle as a personal toy.

It was Picard, who stopped the ensuing argument when he told Riker, "We should be at the planetoid in 46 days. After that, we will have most of the ship's functions, correct?"

Both Troi and Riker nodded. "So, at that time he can fly all he wants with any ship on the holodecks."

Troi smiled first. "Of course, the holodeck, he is unfamiliar with the technology and we can train the pilots for the up coming mission faster."

Riker chimed in, "Yes, with full warp capabilities we should be at the spatial anomaly roughly in another four months after the dilithium crystals are installed. You can keep your word Counselor."

"Make it so," was all that Picard said. As the two officers started to leave, Picard quietly called for Troi to stay.

"Counselor, please stay behind a moment." Troi turned round to see the captain sit back in his chair sensing the captain sorting through his thoughts, she was unprepared for the question that he asked.

"Counselor, while you were in your session with Starbuck, did he mention any past experiences that could lead to his excessive scaring on his body?"

Troi studied the captain, trying to sense any emotions behind his question, before she could ask a question to his question, Picard explained his reasoning.

"Somehow, I feel that if we can help him come to terms with this abuse. . .he could be a first rate officer in any quadrant."

Smiling, Troi shook her head. "Sir, for someone who professes to have limited knowledge on personal issues, you have an astute reasoning into the human psyche."

"Why, Counselor, I would never have gotten as far as I have without understanding the human condition." The shared moment was interrupted by Worf's message.

"Captain to main bridge," Worf's voice calmly stated.

As both entered the bridge, it was Riker who volunteered the information.

"Sir, our long rang scanners are showing a Basestar hovering directly over the planets that we are headed for and it is giving no signs of moving. It seems that it is having its attack ships doing sweeping patrols. Estimate by their search vectors, we will encounter one 29 days from now if we remain on course."

"Suggestions, Number One," Picard stated.

"Sir, I suggest we hold present setting and devise a viable counter plan."

"No, I want a command briefing at 1300 hours with all viable plans. I will be in my ready room making my reports. We remain on our present course and speed until further notice." As the captain strolled to his room the only thought that ran through his head was, "Merde, at least Q is not here."



Part Four

1420 Conference Room

"So, you are saying that the best we could do is get as close as possible to the planet and send a shuttle to sneak in to retrieve the dilithium crystals. If we do not want to announce to the cylons that we are here?" Picard stated.

Data spoke up, "Yes, and it would have to be a viper, if the pilot is caught, they will surmise that he may be a rogue pilot and not expand their search for another ship. A shuttle would most definitely alert them to our presence in the area."

"Is there another planet were we can get the crystals?" Troi questioned.

Data, turning to look at her, said, "Not in the current solar system. Long range scanners have located another planet roughly 45 days away from our position. At current maximum warp in the opposite direction."

Riker hissed at the statement. Picard looking at Riker, smiled, "I agree with Number One's assessment. I would like to have full power and be closer to the spatial rift. Make it so and I want the pilot chosen from the Galactica pilots. Geordi, I want you to program a tricorder for dilithium crystals. I want him to bring back as many as possible for optimum selection. Dismissed."

As the command staff left the conference room, a bright flash appeared next to Picard. Holding the padd steadily, he refused to say anything to the entity.

"Mon Capitane? Why Johnny no "Get off my ship, Q.' I should pop in more frequently," with that said, the padd blinked out and in his hands he held a cup of tea, steam rolling off the cup. The steam steadily spiraled up to form what appeared to Picard as devil horns.

"Q. Stop this, return my ship to the alpha quadrant now."

"Why should I do that, Johnny? You have yet to shake out the rust from this bucket." He blinked out again and appeared behind him. Ever so lightly his breath touched the nape of Picard's neck. "Think of what you can discover in this quadrant." A feather light breeze ran down his neck, Picard abruptly stood up giving himself distance from Q.

"What I have discovered, Q, is that you are nothing but a headache in any quadrant. Now either return us to the alpha quadrant or leave."

"Oh Johnny, you just don't get it." Q reappeared in front of him smiling. He then blinked out.

Picard noticed that the tea was still on the table and still hot. Sighing he picked up the cup and tentatively brought it to his mouth. As the amber liquid swirled in his mouth, Picard could taste that the tea was Earl Grey. He shook his head, not only was it is favorite tea, he recognized that it was the real tea, not the replicators'. "Might as well enjoy the tea." He thought as he took another sip and sat down to read the padd that reappeared next to him.

Several hours later, Picard was contemplating getting up and getting another cup of tea. The maintenance and fitness reports were a dull but necessary part of being a captain; and though the reports would not be read by Starfleet command for several months if all worked out, his sense of duty would not allow him to slack off on the never ending reports that Fleet insisted on having.

The door opened up and Picard saw Riker walk in. By his body language he could tell his Number One was not pleased.

"Report Number One." As he sat more erect.

"Sir, I've spoken to all 24 members of the viper squads. All of them have volunteered to take on the mission. However, they all have said in one form or another that Starbuck is the best man. I have re-checked the fitness reports that were transferred to us before we left the Galactica. Starbuck has logged the most hours on long-range covert operations. On paper, he is the best man." Picard sensed that Riker was leaving a thought out.

"But you have reservation about his fitness, Will?"

"Yes, I do. He is arrogant, he disobeys orders willfully. His attempt at nearly drowning himself makes me believe that he cannot handle the pressure. I am going to recommend Atereo, for this mission. He's sound, follows orders and he has the second highest hours logged in their ships besides Starbuck. Sir."

Riker adjusted his jacket, tugging it downward, in the manner that the crew had described as the "Picard maneuver."

"Will, you were in stasis when I met this pilot. What I saw when he was flying through the asteroid belt was…well pure poetry. He has a gift, Will, and without his help at the beginning, I doubt that we would be speaking about his competency now." Before Riker could reply Picard continued. "We did promise him first opportunity on any missions. Give him the parameters of the mission; let the counselor evaluate his readiness for it. If she agrees with you, we will go with pilot Atereo. We owe the man that."

Riker, sensing the end of the discussion, pulled his shoulders back and said, "Yes Sir," and left to consult with Troi. Ship's duties precluded him from discussing the Starbuck situation until the next day.

Riker walked into Ten-Forward. It was mid Alpha the next day. Counselor Troi sat at aft section of ten-forward looking out into the stars. Walking up to her he sat down opposite, not bothering to announce himself. Troi turned her head smiling. "Commander Riker, what brings you here to Ten-Forward so early in the day?" Her smile belied the seriousness of her question.

"I know today is your day off but I need to ask, has ensign Starbuck shown any willingness to talk to you?"

"May I ask why you need to know this?

Will studied her and smiled. "Picard wants him to be the pilot for the mission, and before I can talk to him, I need to know if he is able to do this. Frankly, I really do not think he is ready. However, I am going to you first."

"Will, you want to know if he is ready, and to be honest, I sense tension between both of you. He is a lot like you used to be Will."

"I was never like him Deanna; I never tried to kill myself with liquid toxins. And, I followed orders."

"Will, I think you are confusing the love of life and adventure with duty. That is what I meant by comparing him to you."

Riker thought about what she said, and dismissed the statement. "Can he accomplish the mission Counselor? A lot of lives are at stake here."

"I believe he will do his best, he thrives on adventure and I have reviewed the logs of his fight with the first ships that attacked us; and his flight through the asteroid belt, I believe he can do it."

Riker listened to her and got up from the chair. "I am having a briefing with him at 1700 hrs. I want you there to assess his emotional condition while I review the mission plans."

At 1659 hours, a chime went off signaling that someone was at the door waiting for permission to enter.

A tall man walked in. "Ensign Starbuck, liaison from Battlestar Galactica reporting as ordered Sir." He stood upright his tone formal but Riker could tell that arrogance was gone. He held his stare on Starbuck for a full minute waiting to see if Starbuck would blink first. It was going on the second minute when Starbuck shifted his eyes to stare at the bulkhead. Riker hiding his smile thought, "Good! Maybe he will follow orders now."

"At ease ensign. Counselor Troi you know. Do you have any idea why you were sent for?" He asked.

Starbuck, since his recovery from the accidental alcohol poisoning, had sequestered himself in his quarters refusing even Ben's overtures of company. Starbuck had not told anyone but he seriously expected to be in the brig, it was only a matter of time and to be honest with himself, he did not want to see anyone.

"No Sir?" Was Starbuck's reply.

"At ease ensign," Riker explained the situation, as he finished Riker pulled his jacket downward, mimicking Picard in his jester, waiting to hear what Starbuck would say.

Starbuck stared at Riker then the Counselor, *Frack* "I believe pilot Atereo is the pilot for this job Sir. Is that all?" Before Riker could respond to him, Starbuck turned and left to go back to his quarters.

"Counselor, just what happened here? I gave him a chance to redeem himself and he throws it away?"

Troi thought back briefly of the last several failed sessions. Guarding her words carefully, she said, "Commander, I sense profound loss and this loss is causing his self-confidence to erode to the point were he feels he is a hindrance to the mission."

"Well, counselor, I will not look a proverbial gift horse in the mouth." Hitting his comm link, "Pilot Atereo, please come to my office, Riker out."

"Will, I think we should talk to him and find out why."

"Counselor, frankly, I don't care. And that is your department," with that said, Troi got out of her seat, determined to talk to Starbuck.



Twenty minutes later

"Go away Counselor. Just go away." The voice of defeat echoed in the tone that came from the room.

Counselor Troi stood at the door, not understanding why the lights were dimmed to night cycle. "Lights on standard setting." As her eyes adjusted she noticed that the room was a complete mess, and next to the window stood Starbuck in his Galactica uniform and in his hand was his blaster.

"Starbuck what are you doing?" She had a good idea but she did not want to upset him further.

"Get away, come back in one of your hours." Was all that he would say. When Counselor Troi attempted to approach him, he turned and held the weapon chest level at her. "There is no stun level on blasters. Leave now."

Counselor Troi sensed he would pull the trigger on her then himself. "Okay Starbuck, I will leave and come back in one hour." She forced herself to turn round and walk out. When the door had cleared. She tapped her comm link.

"Captain Picard, this is Counselor Troi, I need you down on deck 11 immediately." Before he could answer she tapped her comm link again. "Dr. Crusher, I need you down on deck 11 medical emergency." Both Crusher and Picard arrived at the same time.

Before the captain could ask why he is CMO was also on deck 11, Counselor Troi explained the situation to both of them.

Dr. Crusher looked at Picard. "I can have a sedative put through the air duct and then we can take him to sickbay for suicide watch, Sir."

Counselor Troi quickly responded, "Yes, that would solve the immediate problem. However, the causes will still be there and, frankly, we need him whole for the mission."

"So, Counselor, what do you suggest I do? Besides flooding the room with a sedative?" Picard asked.

"I know he respects you, Sir. I think if you were to talk with him, he will voluntarily go to sickbay for an evaluation."

Upon hearing her suggestion, Picard became flustered. "I don't understand Counselor?" Was all he could say out loud to her suggestion.

"Captain, you were the first to talk to him and I sense great admiration of you from him. He will listen to you, and to answer your next question, Captain, I would never ask it if I thought he'd harm you."

With that said, Picard turned round and spoke to the computer. "Computer open door, Picard alpha 001 override." With that said the door slide open to allow him access.

Slowly walking into the room, Picard could see the man standing next to the window holding his blaster loosely in his hand. "Starbuck, I came to see if you wanted anything." There was no response, just a noticeable straightening of his shoulders at hearing Picard's voice.

Slowly walking up to Starbuck, Picard asked again, "Can I do anything for you?"

It was then that Starbuck answered, "I know why you're here and there is nothing for you to do. Pausing for clarity, Starbuck inhaled a deep breath and whispered, "Can you bring back Zac? Can you never have come to this quadrant? Can I fly again…Can I love again?" Squeezing his eyes shut. "Please leave, Captain, I do not want to hurt you." His last statement gushed out of him, taking his breath away.

"I once said to you that when we're alone, you can call me Jean-Luc, and we are Starbuck. Why are you doing this? I know Apollo will be extremely upset when he finds out. You are the best pilot I have ever seen in any quadrant. Do not throw this gift away."

Turning his head to see Jean-Luc, Starbuck allowed all the sorrow to show in his face and eyes. His eyes tearing up. "I failed. Apollo gave me one command, 'not to let anything happen to Ben and Zac,' and because he wanted to be like me of all people in the quadrant, Zac is dead, Jean-Luc. I am a FRACKING failure."

Blinking his eyes several times to clear them he looked into Jean-Luc's eyes.

"I don't deserve anyone's love, I am a failure" with that said, Starbuck raised his arm that held the blaster to his head.

Picard easily disarmed Starbuck. Grabbing both his upper arms he held him. "Look at me! I am not going to let you commit suicide Starbuck." Picard intentionally squeezed his arms till Starbuck was forced to look at him.

Barely audible, Starbuck whispered, "Help me." With that said, the young warrior collapsed against Picard's chest. The grief that shuddered through his body forced both of them to the floor. Picard held him for what seemed hours. It was actually closer to an hour when Dr. Crusher quietly walked up next to Picard, squatting down to see the captain's face.

Picard rocked Starbuck as he whispered into his ear, "You're not a failure, Starbuck. I will help you." With that said, he nodded to Dr. Crusher who silently injected a sedative into Starbuck. The drug worked quickly, Starbuck was unconscious and breathing heavily as Picard gently placed Starbuck's head on the floor before getting up. "Take care of him, doctor." Was all that he was willing to say, as he walked out of Starbuck's quarters.

When the Enterprise moved up to the departure point, it was decided that since the cylons were close by, the ship would remain at yellow alert status as Atereo's viper went on the long-range mission. All Captain Picard could do was wait and pray that the young man would complete his assignment.



6-Personal Log Star Date {--------)
…………………………………………

Though I have sent people on dangerous missions before, they were my crew. The crew from the Galactica is under my command per se and yet again I am forced because of duty to send a brave young man to his death. Long range sensors showed that Atereo's viper was intercepted a day away from the meeting point. Instead of being captured, he destroyed three enemy ships before being destroyed by their reinforcement. Sensor logs indicated that he had headed in the opposite direction to divert any suspicion of our location. Commander Riker and the rest of the Galactica crew want to go back to the moon and recover more dilithium crystals; with the new modified vipers that he and Lt Comdr. La Forge have been working on.

Picard paused and replayed his last log entry. Upon hearing it, he tapped the comm link that opened all channels on the ship.

"Attention all hands, as you know Warrior 2nd class Atereo volunteered for a hazard assignment. He served commendably under my command and showed great pride and courage that is the custom of the warriors' from the Galactica. A memorial service will be held at 1700 hrs at Ten-Forward. All are invited to attend. Picard out."



Ten-Forward.

The crowd was quiet and the remaining members of the task force of the Galactica sans Starbuck huddled together. All numb at the prospect that one of them would be going on a suicide mission. Though they had upgraded all the vipers with Starfleet technology, the mission in their opinion was a one way trip to the great beyond.

Starbuck stood at the door of ten forward looking around to see if Riker was in the room. He had talked to Counselor Troi twice a day for the last eighteen days and finally convinced her that he was not going to kill himself. It also helped that Starbuck's blaster was secured from him until further notice.

Seeing the man he wanted to talk to, he quickly walked up to Riker, waiting for him to stop speaking to the captain. Standing at ease, he waited for Riker to acknowledge him. Riker turned to see Starbuck dressed in his Starfleet uniform.

"Yes, ensign, what can I do for you?" Was all that Riker said. Talking to Deanna several times over the past fortnight, he already knew. He wanted to hear it from Starbuck, and to be honest, he wanted to see a lot of humility from the cocky warrior.

"Sir, scuttlebutt has it that we are going to try again. Correct Sir?" Was the opening volley.

"Yes," Riker stated, not giving anything to man.

"Sir, I request to be considered to go….I know I have fracked up before Sir..But I would like to go…please Sir." Starbuck knees were like water, it took all of his self-control not to shake.

"I have someone in mind for the mission, Starbuck. Thank you for showing an interest." Turning to Picard he waited a nano second to allow Starbuck to jump in, he was not surprised.

"Sir!!! Please, I can do this mission. I will not let you down, Sir. I will get the crystals or die trying, Sir."

"Checkmate," Commander Riker thought. "Starbuck if you do not succeed, dying will be the least of your problems. Report to hanger bay eight at 2300 hrs, dismissed."

Starbuck just stood trying to hear the words right. "Dying will be the least of my problems The phrase that ran through his mind; it was not until Commander Riker dismissed him a second time that he realized he was smiling at the Commander. "Excuse me, Sirs." With that said he turn about and left the room.

Picard and Riker looked at each other and smiled.



Part Five

With the new and improved sensors installed in the viper's control station, Starbuck had yarns to evade the cylon patrols. He decided to land on the far side of the planetoid as per instructed and grab as many rocks as possible. As he landed, he noticed that the reading indicated that there was a large-scale operation of some type roughly several hectors away from his position. Trying to stay true to the mission, he collected roughly several kilos of the crystals that Geordi wanted to use. He did not understand how a useless rock could be so important but hard science tech stuff never really interested him. He barely was passing the required classes at the academy before the exodus.

However, as he collected his final bag of rocks his curiosity got the better of him. As he started to walk in the direction of the energy spike, Riker words came to haunt him. "Dying will be the least of your problems." Twenty meters away he stopped and a vision of Captain Picard standing next to his viper became crystal clear.

He had halted his preflight checks when Picard casually walked up to him. "Sir, thanks for the send off. I won't let you down Sir. I will get you those rocks."

"Starbuck, I am sure you will acquit yourself admirably. You are as you have said, the best pilot in the fleet and I believe in time you to be in ours." No one was near him and he allowed himself to smile at the young warrior. The smile was held as Starbuck entered the cockpit and gave Picard a thumbs up. Picard, in the tradition dating back almost 400 years, saluted the craft as it took off from the shuttle bay.

When the viper departed, Picard hit his comm link. "Data I want sensor lock on that ship at all times. Keep me apprised of developments." Picard was kept apprised and he quietly steeled himself several times when it was reported that Starbuck's viper was doing highly tight complex maneuvers to avoid the random patrols that crisscrossed the area.

It was Counselor Troi who approached the captain on the fifth day of the mission. "Captain, may I have a word with you?"

The captain stopped reading the reports on his padd and signaled the counselor to take a seat.

"Captain I am concerned about you. I have sensed an increase anxiety level in you when Data or Worf reports on the status of ensign Starbuck. More so than any other away missions with other personnel."

Captain Picard adjusted his jacket and looked at Counselor Troi. "Do you remember when we encountered the probe from Kataan?" Counselor Troi nodded not wanting to interrupt him while he vocalized his thoughts. "I had a wife, a son, a daughter, a grandchild. It was a life that I could never have. When I thought I had a son here in this time, I felt a joy that I could never describe to anyone. When I found it a lie, I buried myself in my work and derived my pleasure and satisfaction from knowing I was doing my duty and that Starfleet was my home."

He paused trying to articulate what he felt. "After the trip to the past and defeating the Borg, I should have felt joy, but all I felt was satisfaction in a job well done. When we were thrown into this quadrant and I saw this pilot flying through the asteroid belt, a sense of wonder and profound curiosity enveloped me Deanna. Meeting and seeing him I felt that…that I could…wanted to help him. Deanna the man is extraordinary. I've only broken bread with him once privately and…" He let his thoughts stop, not wanting to explain anymore than he had but feeling compelled to finish, he swallowed to get his throat wet again. He continued, "Deanna depending on the point of day that I think of Starbuck, I do not know if I want him as a son or something more." That said he waited for Deanna to respond.

Troi heard this and understanding the imply 'more' decided to tell him. "You once asked me if I knew why he had multiple scarring on his body, Sir. Well, sir, he has explained that his lover, Apollo gave him his scars." Picard eyes narrowed when he understood what she was implying.

"You are aware of his sexual pedilication, Jean-Luc?" She dropped into the informal, realising that this conversation like so many others would never be noted in her professional logs. "Are you prepared to, excuse me Jean-Luc, are you prepared to top him as the parlance of the subculture demands?"

Picard got up to walk over to his replicator, "Two Earl Greys Hot." The tea materialized and Picard took both cups, walking over to Deanna, he handed her a cup. Deanna took the cup offered. Taking a small sip she waited for him to answer her question.

"I am fully aware of what "Topping" would initial and I am not a prude that everyone believes I am, Deanna. However, as captain my sexual pedilications and liaisons are on constant hold." He paused to study the grey liquid that was held in the cup he was holding. "I understand what his needs are and I've never..., " his upper lip curled into a slight smile. "Shall we say I never had the inclination to 'top' in that manner in any of my relationships."

He then took a long pull from the cup, placing the cup down and straightening his jacket, he then added, "I also know that if I start a relationship with him, it will be over before we can truly start. So, I have accepted the fact that if I can not have him. So, I am inclined to help him to the best of my abilities, Deanna."

Taking another sip and savoring the flavor of the tea, Deanna told him what her heart would say, not her professional mind. "Jean-Luc, we may only have four months left in this quadrant. You lived a lifetime in a half an hour from the probe. Surely you can live a lifetime here in the physical world in four months. Nobody need know and Dr. Crusher has treated numerous couples on the ship for excessive exuberance in their lovemaking."

She placed her cup down and stared directly into Jean-Luc's eyes, sensing that he was closing himself to her, she politely pointed out, "There are always holo-novels that you can observe to...develop your technique in dealing with this particular relationship. Believe me, Jean-Luc I have throughout my career, referred numerous couples and individuals to specific holo-novels."

Picard tilted his head sideways and decided to be totally honest with her. Taking the tea in hand again, he quietly said, "It is not the technique per se Deanna, it is the intense physicality of what he needs. I always believed and acted on the belief that two people share tenderness in intimated moments.

Deanna paused and realized what he was saying, "You could talk to him, explain your needs and wants. Pausing and judging that she would not violate any patience privilege, she added, "I think Starbuck would be interested in experiencing a different type of ...of...Love."

At that comment, Picard's lips formed a small smile, "Thank for your input Deanna but I have a briefing in twenty minutes at engineering. I will think about what you've said." With that statement Picard placed his cup down and sat down to review the Padd. The signal to Deanna that the meeting was over. As Counselor Troi left she felt his mental wall swing up into place, effectively making him much harder to feel. What she did not know was that he was already reviewing those same holo-novels that she had hinted on his screen. As he thought through the options on the list, Worf's voice floated over the comm link.

"Sir, I want to inform you that long-range sensors have indicated that ensign Starbuck has reach the planetoid. And Sir, he landed at the coordinates that he was instructed to land at."

Picard smiled at that moment, hitting the comm link. "Thank you, Mr. Worf. Inform Mr. La Forge that I will be down in engineering shortly."



One Hour Later

Captain Picard stood next to the display while La Forge and Data reviewed the material. "So, even if we do get a good sample of dilithium crystals, Sir. Because the gel packs are micro engineered at the Daystrom institute, we still will have to use the vipers' modified torpedoes. Data has rigged the shuttle craft Checko to fire via computer control."

At that Picard asked, "Will it be possible for the Vipers to take the Checko back to the Pegasus?"

"Yes, but that would require leaving one of our pilots behind. This way we accomplish our goal, I suggest that we install an auto destruction signal to engage after the rift closes in on us. We will have roughly four months to maximize the refits of the vipers. They will not be going back empty handed Sir."

After years of command, the solution felt right, "Make it so and inform the Galactica crew that they will be going into high training once our holo-decks come on line." Commander Riker walked into the room as Picard was finishing giving his orders. Turning to Riker he waited for his Number One to report.

"Sir, thought I'd give you the good news in person. Starbuck stayed 45 minutes on the planetoid and then left. He was not detected from their Basestar. ETA should be in five days."

Picard nodded at the information, "Thank you Number One I will be in my quarters if I am needed. Inform me if there is a change in his status." He walked out of engineering without acknowledging Riker's "Aye."

For Captain Picard it was the longest five days of his entire career. It was 0345 half way into the Delta watch when Data informed Picard and the command staff that Starbuck was in cargo bay three.

Thirty minutes later Picard and the command staff were in engineering. Lt. Barclay and his crew were jumping with contained joy. "I have never seen dilithium crystals this pure. And you are telling us ensign that the crystals like these are common on your home world?" Starbuck was beaming, "Yeah, and if I had more time I would have picked more."

Barclay looked at the captain and asked, "Sir, when we gain full warp capabilities, do you think it is possible too stop at the next planet and pick up a few more `rocks', Sir. We could have a small away team gather enough dilithium in a couple of hours to refit the entire Fleet with these crystals. They are the purest I have ever seen. There are worth their weight in latinum Sir." Barclay, when he was focused, lost his stutter, and to Captain Picard and the command staff, he clearly was focused.

"Lieutenant I will consider this as soon as we have full warp. Number One do you think we can take a side trip after we've cleared this area for some more crystals?"

Riker, feeling the excitement, stroked his beard. "Well, Sir it would depend if ensign Starbuck would not mind going on another away mission." Looking at the ensign. "Well ensign would you mind taking an away mission to gather more `rocks' before we leave the quadrant?"

Being stunned by the vote of confidence by Riker, he just nodded his head in agreement. The entire room laughed.

Getting his breath back, Riker told Starbuck, "After you've finished reporting to Dr. Crusher, take the day off. You've earned it."

Picard feeling in a generous mood, "Ensign Starbuck, have you ever seen a holodeck?" Starbuck eyes widened not knowing were the statement was going. "La Forge, inform me when we have full power. Ensign, how would you like to see the holodeck up close and personal?"

Starbuck straightened his shoulders. "Aye Sir, I would be honored. Sir."

Picard nodded and walked out of the engineering room, right into his office. Stopping he looked around. "Q where are you?"

A flash and Q in his Admiral formal attire appeared. "Mon Capitane, how did you know it was me?"

"Q what do you want?" Picard walked around to his desk taking his seat. By taking his seat Picard felt more in control. Or, at least he told himself that when Q popped in for his visits.

"Johnny, as much as you'd like to stay and smell the roses you can't. Be grateful for what you have Mon Capitane."

"What is that supposed to mean Q? You were quite willing to let us stay here with no warp capabilities and now, when we have found the purest dilithium crystals in the known galaxy, you are giving us a timetable. What are you doing Q?"

"I am not doing anything Johnny. The natural laws of physics are acting up and I cannot stop it."

"Can't or won't stop it? Which ever it is?"

"Johnny have you learnt anything here in this quadrant? I knew I should have thrown you in the Gamma Quadrant. Now those pitiful aliens know how to dance." With that said salsa music blared loudly through the room and a salsa dancer in a traditional Spanish historical costume appeared in front of Picard dancing wildly.

"Q! Stop this." Picard shouted over the loud gaudy music.

The music and dancer flashed out in an instant. "Johnny, I do say you do not know how to enjoy yourself. You're strung so tight that you would pop if you let go." With that said, a cup of herbal tea appeared in Picard's hand. "Drink that, it will relax you, Johnny boy." Q flashed out.

"Merde. Why me." Taking a gulp of the tea, Picard realized that he had drunk most of tea while trying to fathom Q's cryptic message. Placing the cup down, he suddenly felt drained. Retiring to his sleeping area, and sitting on the bed to take his clothes off, he was sound asleep before the second boot was off.

Q flashed in to watch Picard sleep for a few hours and checked in to see what his Johnny was dreaming. He was not surprised to see the young warrior on his knees giving his Johnny a very thorough blow job. Judging from the growing erection and small smile, the dream blow job most probably was doing wonders for releasing his Johnny's tension. Feeling curious about how Picard would react, right before Johnny came in his dream, Q went into the dream and made a few changes.

Placing Johnny on the giving end, Q stood there in all of his glory, half expecting the dream to end. Instead, his Johnny hungrily dug deeper, sucking more loudly as the Q in the dream came. Picard moaned the word Q and rolled over. At that moment, it was clear that both of them had released.

"Oh Johnny, I hope you find someone. But that someone is going to be moi." Smiling, Q let the captain sleep the mild sedative off while he decided to raise a little havoc with the cylons.

"This area of the galaxy is more boring than the alpha quadrant. Better spice it up a little." Q thought before he blinked out.

Twelve hours later Picard opened his eyes and heard Commander Riker calling for a security detail to the captain's quarters.

"Commander Riker, I am all right, belay the order. Why are you calling for a security detail to my quarters?

"Sir, you left a message to be awakened 45 minutes ago. The computer automatically transferred the wake up call when you did not deactivate the alarm. I tried to hail twice and received no answer Sir."

"Riker, it was Q. He was the one who suggested I take a nap. What is the status, Number One?"

"We have full warp, no photon torpedoes and full power is restored to all secondary systems. Heading to Caprica at Warp 9 Sir ETA 16 weeks and three days."

"Will, what time is it?"

"It's 1555 hrs. Is there something wrong?"

"No Number One. Thank you, I will see you tomorrow at the staff meeting. Picard out."

"Twelve hours, Merde." At that thought his stomach growled, not wanting to eat alone, he pondered if he should call Beverly over for dinner. Deciding against the idea, he signaled the computer. "Computer where is ensign Starbuck." A moment later the computer replied. "Ensign Starbuck is in his quarters on Deck 11 room 28c." Hitting the comm link. "Picard to ensign Starbuck."

"Yes, Sir."

"Would you care to dine with me at 1700 hrs, Starbuck?"

"Sir, I would be honoured, Sir."

"Fine. I will expect to see you then, my quarters, Picard out." At that he went into his office to finish up some reports. On the his desk next to the cup of tea that Q made for him was a note, written in long hand with gothic purple ink.

"Johnny, I hope you've enjoyed the rest. I certainly did."

Picard was just about to put the note in the refuse recycler but then had a change of heart. Going to his antique hardbound Folio edition of Shakespeare, he opened the book to the forward and placed the note on top of the page. As Picard went to the refresher he wondered why Q's visits did not upset him, as they tended to do before he solved the riddle. As he stripped to enter the shower, his thoughts floated back to the last few encounters with Q. Normally, a star ship captain would be upset at the prospect of being 70 years from home. But, as the warm water cascaded over his body, he came to he conclusion that Q would not let him stay in the BQ. It was a test he knew he would pass; but why was Q making him jump through the provable hoop?

Toweling off, Picard's thoughts went over his last meeting with Q. * Not enough time. * Pausing to hit his comm link, Picard asked. "Data check the status of the spatial anomaly that we are headed to. I want to know if there are any changes."

"Sir it will take several hours to compare current data to our pervious scan. I can report to you at the morning briefing or would you want a report when I conclude my scans?"

Picard thought about the evening to come and decided to tell Data, "No I want the information at the meeting. Picard out." Getting dressed in casual slacks and a top, Picard walked over to the replicator and selected his favorite meal; lamb and rice with a salad for both of them. He then called up a bottle wine. Thinking of Starbuck lying in the bio-bed, he canceled the wine and ordered a bottle of synth-ale. Personally not a favorite but if the night went the way he wanted, both needed to have clear heads.

At precisely 1700 hrs the chime rang. "Enter," was all Starbuck heard. As he entered into the captain's quarters, Starbuck noticed that the captain had removed his uniform and was in `civvies.' He let out a breath that he was holding. He too was wearing causal clothes. Not knowing were the night would take them. Starbuck opted for dark pants and a white shirt to wear for his dinner with the captain. He knew from personal experience that he should never wear light pants if he was going to play. Starbuck knew this, however the only question he could ask himself was why he felt so guilty.

The table was set, the lights low and the conversation touched on all aspects of life in BQ. Though Picard ate his food, Starbuck just played with is. Roughly forty-five minutes into the night Picard asked Starbuck, "Is the food palatable Starbuck?"

Yes it is Sir...er...Jean-Luc… It's just that I was thinking why of all the people in BQ was I the one that found your ship…I…I…I…" making a decision he abruptly got up from the table. "Sir, the evening was wonderful, thanks. I should get back to my quarters."

Jean-Luc studied the man and was at a loss. He wondered if he had read the cues right? There was an attraction between them. He felt it. So why was Starbuck fighting it? As he watched the man stand at the table, a noticeable shiver ran through Starbuck's body. And the "it" again clicked in his head.

"Starbuck, do you want the night to end?" Getting no response, he took it as an affirmative. "Neither do I. So, Starbuck where do we go from here?" Getting up he walked round the table, waiting for Starbuck to say or do something.

Putting his hands on Starbuck shoulder, he turned Starbuck to face him. Leaning into Starbuck's personal space he gently touched Starbuck's lips with his own. They stood there for the longest moment and gradually Starbuck wrapped his arms around Picard's upper back.

Picard pressed his lips tightly, forcing Starbuck's mouth to open. Their tongues danced for a long moment until the younger man sighed through their kiss. Pulling away ever so slowly, Starbuck gently slid his hands down Jean-Luc's back. As he slid his hand downward, Starbuck gently went to his knees. Picard widened his stance to give Starbuck a better view but also to get more control of the situation. In no time his pants were lowered.

Smiling, Picard closed his eyes briefly as the deft tongue worked its magic. "Computer, Lights off," was the last coherent sentence he made that night.



0730 Conference Room.

The view screen showed the spatial anomaly as Data spilt the screen into two parts. "The left side is the spatial anomaly when we first scanned it. The one on the right is the spatial anomaly nine hours ago." He then paused to adjust the controls. The left side shimmered and then another picture of the anomaly again was shown. "This picture is three hours old. As we can see, it appears to be blinking out, then reappearing slightly smaller at this rate if we do not get to the anomaly in 38 days it will be to small for us to go through."

La Forge at that point interjected, " If we were to go at warp 9.6 we could get to the outer rim of the solar system in 33 days. That would give five days to give the Enterprise a level four systems check before we enter into the spatial anomaly. However, in doing a level four check our phaser banks would be off line." He pause to touch the padd in front of him, a series of numbers appeared on the screen. "And pushing the engines that hard, my staff and I are in agreement that our chances of success in exiting the anomaly without a system check would tear the ship apart. And though we have not seen any Basestars in the area, that is not to say what will pop up when we are there."

Riker pulled back and looked at the numbers on his padd. "We would be sitting ducks for four days in the heart of cylon territory. And when we do enter the anomaly we have to be at 400 kilo meters from it, to maximize the torpedo yield from the vipers."

"Sir, I suggest that we use our shuttle crafts and the vipers to guard us while we do the system check." Picard listened to Data's suggestion as he looked over the projected retraction of the anomaly.

"I see that we will be passing a star system five lights out of our way, correct?" Picard looked up at his command staff.

"What has the sensor array told us of that system Mr. Data?"

Geordi answered, " The last planet in that system shows promising reading of dilithium crystals Sir."

"Good, arrange a shuttle crew to collect as many crystals as possible and rendezvous with us. Our shuttles, gentlemen, have warp capabilities. Let's use them. Riker, assemble an away team. Use some of the pilots from Galactica as security for Lt. Barclay's away team. He will have five hours to collect as many dilithium crystals as possible." With that said Picard got out of his chair to start the alpha shift.

Two days later, Lt. Barclay and three of the Galactica pilots were on their way to a planet four light years out of their way. The plan was to spend five hours collecting as many dilithium crystals as possible that could be held in the shuttle storage area. It was at Barclay's insistence that extra containers were placed in the actual shuttle craft. Sensors indicated that there was a slight chance of meeting up with a cylon patrol. But if they stayed on the far side of the planet, they could miss the random fly-byes that the cylons were conducting on the planet.

Starbuck sat at the controls of the shuttle, marveling at how responsive a square ship handled. It was faster than any vipers and it could maintain a warp of 6.5 maximum. The vectors plotting would be difficult, he thought, but if the Enterprise made a half loop they could intersect the shuttle without losing any time. If they jumped to warp 9.9 for twelve hours after picking them up, then powering back down to 9.6, they would be no harm to the tight schedule.

Ben, at the secondary sensor array, informed the crew, "Reading indicates that there is considerable seismic disturbances on the planet. It seems there are artificial energy surges that are being passed through the planets core, Starbuck."

Turning to look at Ben's reading, Lt. Barclay pointed out, "Those are the same readings you took on the planet that you were at Starbuck. What are they up to?"

"I don't know and really I don't care. Lets keep out of sight and collect as many of these rocks as possible guys. No unnecessary chances in and out. Okay?" Starbuck was curious but since he had been spending time with his captain, a desire of not hurting his captain was effecting the way he carried out his orders. He smiled as he adjusted the controls once more and thought, "When did he become my Captain?"

As he re-adjusted the vector of entry again to give them maximum coverage from the cylons, Starbuck thought back to the night before.

They had just finished making love, strange the term making love, he and Apollo always `fucked' but Jean-Luc made love. His captain took control of the evening with his voice, his captain commanded that he not move. No straps, no ties, no chains. His voice held him in the bed. Mounting him in carefully, his Captain entered him, making sure that his needs came first. He couldn't get enough of the man. And when he was allowed to go down on him, Starbuck was more aroused by the act of giving him pleasure than being taken up the ass. Lying in the after glow of the evening, their pillow talk eventually ended up on the subject of what it is to be a leader.

"Starbuck, command is self discipline, making a decision for the good of the many. And having faith in one's ability to know that one is right. Even if in your heart you know it is the wrong decision on a personal level."

Stretching to lean on Picard's chest, he took comfort in the steady beat of the man's heart. "I understand Jean-Luc. But I love to fly and sometimes my gut tells me my superiors are wrong. I don't think I have the self-control to be a true leader." He paused trying to gather his thoughts. "I know my men will follow me in a fight and on a mission. But, playing the yes game gets real boring Sir."

Jean-Luc chuckled at that last statement. Guiding Starbuck's face to meet his, "I think you play the yes game wonderfully." Pausing to caress Starbuck's face, he added, "And, you never seem bored." With that he claimed his mouth and the night began anew for both.

Lt. Barclay, sitting in back, announced to no one in particular, "If all goes well, we can be off this planet in under five hours if the readings are correct." Starbuck's reverie was broken by the comment. Looking back at Lt. Barclay, "I know you want to come along, and get these rocks, but I need you here to monitor these energy readings. My men, and I can recognize your rocks from five of your meters Sir. We can collect them much faster. I promise to get the best Sir." Though Starbuck was in charge of the away mission, it was Lt. Barclay's responsibility to oversee the gathering of the crystals.

Lt. Barclay was just about to object when he remembered the crystals that Starbuck had brought back with just the sensor reading to distinguish the quality. Nodding in agreement, Barclay waited for the shuttle to land.

The readings were correct. The planet was a latinum mine. Two hours later the cargo bay containers were filled with the dilithium crystals that were laying around the shuttle. It was decided that the portable containers were to be taken into a gully one kilometer away from the shuttle. They were two thirds finished when Ben announced on the comm link, "Guys we've got trouble. There is a unit of cylons moving over the ridge. They will be here in about five minutes."

Starbuck cursed at all the gods he could think of. "How many containers do we have filled?"

Zeus responded, "We have six filled and two more half filled."

Starbuck looked up at the direction that they came from, there was no way they could get over the ridge before the cylon unit came into view, for there was no cover to hide their movements.

Tapping his comm link, "Listen guys, pack up and move out. I am going to say hi to them." Re-tapping the link, "Lt. I need to get the shuttle ready for lift off now. We have company."

As Starbuck moved up the hill to intercept the cylon unit, it was Ben and Zeus who were coming up from each side of him. When they were in talking distance, he stopped them.

"What are you guys doing here? Get those rocks to the shuttle."

Ben answered, "They are being taken by Giffion as we speak, shall we say hello?" As he was saying this, he and Zeus both pulled out their blasters.

Starbuck wished for a moment that he had his reliable blaster, instead, he held a type two phaser that he had taken off of his utility belt that was standard issue for hazardous away missions for Starfleet personnel. He did not notice, but since his return from his first away mission, he had adopted wearing the Starfleet uniform as his only attire. Nodding to both, he signaled with hand signs to take flanking positions on top of the gully. Slowly, they reached the crest of the hill. In the prone position, peering down and over the ridge, he saw not one unit but two; a total of 16 cylons in standard patrol formation.

Whispering as he opened his comm link, "Frack, on my signal and not before; let them get close. I don't want this to be a long drawn out fight okay? Remember to aim for the ones furthest in the back first, they are centurions and the only ones who can communicate back to their base camp."

They waited until the two units were about 25 meters when shots blasted came from three different directions. One of the centurions was smoking and on the ground. The cylons being slow, but methodically, moved away and toward the top of the ridge, attempting to circle the ridge while returning fire. They aimed like their flying, awkwardly. Hitting the tip of the ridge, on the second volley of shots, Ben and Zeus took out two more but not the centurion who moved back to get away from the blaster's range. It was Starbuck who adjusted his control of his phaser and, with pinpoint accuracy, took out the last centurion. However, the centurion had already alerted the base camp. It was at the same time that another botch volley from the cylons hit the ground underneath Ben's location, causing the earth to give way. In slow motion, Ben rolled from his position falling thirty meters right in front of a couple of cylons. Zeus jumped up, firing his weapon, attempting to retrieve Ben.

Starbuck quickly adjusted his phaser to wide arc, hoping to give Zeus some cover. Ten meters away from Ben's position, he was hit with multiple shots; he dropped silently to the ground. Ben was attempting to crawl back up the hill when he was hit also with multiple shots that took one of his legs off. Screaming for Starbuck to help, all Starbuck could think about was that if the cylons took him alive, they would take the information from him about the Enterprise. Then they would kill him in a slow painful manner. Looking up to see eight cylons converging on Ben, Starbuck, without thinking, took out three on Ben's flank, leaving only five cylons remaining. Ben turned round to take two of the five cylons out, before his arm was blasted away by a cylon. At that moment a skimmer flew overhead striking the area that Starbuck was in. It missed, barely. Looking up and seeing Ben howl in pain, Starbuck took aim. His aim being true, Ben's screams of pain stopped. As he retreated across the gully, the remaining three cylons crested the ridge.

A striking run was made by the skimmer that hit Starbuck with such force that he was thrown ten meters into the air, landing on his side. His phaser was thrown a couple of meters away from where he landed. Dazed, and trying to get his bearings, the three cylons approached, firing at him. As each volley got closer to him, Starbuck hit his comm. link yelling to Lt. Barclay, "Get the frack out of here. Now!"

He rolled from the shots, while the skimmer landed in front of him. As the cylon came out of the cockpit, Starbuck was hit again with a blaster. Screaming in pain, Starbuck rolled over, palming his weapon, he waited until the four cylons where on top of him. Raising his hands in a classic gesture of surrender, Starbuck started firing at the cylons. Two ignited and started to burn, Starbuck rolled away, expecting to be hit by the two remaining cylons. The cylon's fire went wide- Starbuck's aim did not.

Bleeding and hissing from each breath that he took, Starbuck hit his comm link, and "Lt. Barclay are you there?" Knowing that the shuttle was gone, Starbuck contemplated taking his own life. Dying a slow death did not appeal to him. As he looked at the skimmer, he considered taking it to ram the cylon base camp. Slowly getting up, he took several steps towards the skimmer before the view of the planet shimmered out of existence.

Lt. Barclay had taken off and flown overhead, using the emergency transporter in the shuttle, he had expertly flown over Starbuck's position, beaming him up. Starbuck found himself standing in the back of the shuttle, blinking away the tears of pain that ran through his body. Taking two steps away from the transporter pad, he collapsed.

Six days later, Starbuck opened his eyes to see Dr. Crusher standing over him.

"How long have I been out Doc?" Was all that he could say.

Dr. Crusher tenderly put her hand on his shoulder; "You've been out for almost six days. It was touch and go there but you are a most resilient patient Starbuck."

The next words that came out his mouth surprised even him. "Did we get enough of those fracking rocks?"

It was at that time that he heard a familiar voice float over the hum of the medical equipment. "Yes, you did Starbuck and we've been monitoring the area. Apparently, they have no clue and we have not seen any cylon patrols. So, they are not looking for us."

Turning his head, Starbuck looked at Riker. "Good, next time you can go and get those fracking rocks." Closing his eyes he let Dr. Crusher's sedative do its job. He failed to notice the smile that crossed Riker's face.

Three days later he was pronounced fit to return to light duty. Because he was the only survivor of the encounter of the skirmish, Counselor Troi told him, that he was expected to file a full a report for Starfleet records. But before he could file his report, he was told to see the captain when he was discharged from sick bay.

In his Starfleet uniform, stepping on to the bridge for the first time since Zac's death, Starbuck caught Worf's eyes, as he turned to see who was exiting the lift. Worf nodded at Starbuck, "Ensign, they are waiting for you," was his only remark.

Entering into Picard's conference room, he noticed that Troi, Riker, Barclay and Picard were seated across the conference table, waiting for him. "Oh shit, here it comes," was his only thought.

Standing straight as a board, "Sirs, ensign Starbuck liaison for the Battlestar Galactica reporting as ordered, Sirs."

It was Riker who told him at ease. Taking a more relaxed stand, he waited to be read the riot act.

"We only have Lt. Barclay's report on what happened, ensign, please in your own words could you please tell us what occurred down on the planet?" Riker asked

"Sirs, we were ahead of schedule, and had six of the containers filled with your rocks when pilot Ben informed us that he had picked up a cylon unit moving up on us, over the gully. The gully that we were in had no cover. If we had made a run for it, they would have spotted us before we could clear the crest. Knowing this, I told my crew to take the remaining containers and to get back to the shuttle. I was going to keep them busy while they got out of harm's way."

At that moment, Riker interrupted, "So you were going to meet them on your own, ensign?"

Starbuck looked at Riker, "Yes, but before I could get to the ridge, pilots Zeus and Ben joined me near the top of the crest Sir. It was too late to send them back. However, I was informed that pilot Giffion had taken the remaining containers, and was headed for the shuttle. It was at that time that we engaged the cylons Sir." Pausing, not knowing how to proceed, Starbuck lied. "Sir, we looked over the crest, we found two, not one unit of cylons in patrol formation moving up the hill. In the ensuing fire fight both pilots Ben and Zeus were killed, Sir."

Starbuck stood at attention at that moment, waiting to be formally charged with dereliction of duty. He was confused by Counselor Troi's question. "I sense that you are hiding something, ensign. I feel a high degree of anxiety from you. Why is that?"

Starbuck looked at Troi's face then at the wall. "Sir, the fire fight was brutal and long. I had to make sure that they did not become aware of the Enterprise's shuttle. The technology would have alerted them to our presents in their space. Sir."

It was Picard's turn to ask the question, "Then why did you use your phaser and not your blaster?"

Starbuck did not have to lie or hide the true to that question. "Sir, I was informed by Comdr. Riker that when in Starfleet uniform I was to be in a complete uniform, and since blasters are not issued by Starfleet…" he let the sentence drift to the obvious conclusion.

Riker turned to look at Picard, at the same time, both officers raised their respective eyebrows. Riker held a twinkle in his eyes for a moment longer than Picard did. Starbuck did not see this, since his eyes were focused on the back of the wall.

It was Troi who brought back the question. "Then why do I sense you are still hiding something, ensign?"

Starbuck looked at Troi. "Sir, everything happened so fast, we had only millicrons to act. I cannot be expected to know everything, Sir."

"Starbuck, this is not a hearing to bring you up on any charges. Your actions saved the mission. We just want a complete report. The truth is a core tenet for our officers. In scientific pursuit, and in personal truths. If we abort or hide the truth, we become less than what we are wearing. Now, the truth ensign, all of it." Picard's words were stated quietly but the force of his voice made Starbuck weak at the knees. He knew that eventually his Captain would gain the truth from him. Sighing in defeat, three barely audible words came out of his mouth. "I did it."

"You did what ensign?" Riker asked.

"I killed Ben Sir." In his mind, all he could hear was Ben's screaming coming to an abrupt halt. "The ground gave, and Ben fell thirty or so meters right in front of a group of cylons. If they had captured him, they would have gotten the information from him. Zeus ran to get him, while I laid down cover fire. They got him, but not before he took out couple of them. By this time Ben's leg and one of his arm's were blown off. He had taken two of the five cylons that were attempting to take him alive. The three where right on him. They were going to grab and drag him to the rear: to await a centurion who speaks our language. No one ever leaves a question unanswered when they ask the questions. I shot him clean once and ran. That is when the skimmer attacked and I found myself in front of four cylons. I was injured. I knew I was not going to make it. I told Lt. Barclay to take off and leave me behind. But before I was going down, I was going to take those bastards with me. I was lucky, they were not. I was contemplating taking the skimmer to crash into their command base when I was beamed out of the fire zone." Starbuck's eyes were focused on the back wall. He waited for the charges to be brought officially up.

So lost in his thoughts that he did not hear Riker asking the next question. Riker had to repeat himself. "Ensign why did you stop to kill him before you ran? Clearly he would have died from his wounds."

Speaking in a hushed voice, "I could not take the chance sir. If he had survived even briefly, the whole mission and the ship would be at risk." Starbuck struggled for the last part to say, "I knew it was for the best, even though Ben was family. I chose the lives here and at the Galactica over him living for an hour or so in more pain than is humanly possible. I'm sorry sir. I will have my resignation handed in ASAP and I will be at my quarter's to await formal charges." With that said, Starbuck turned to leave the conference room without being formally dismissed.

It was Picard's command voice that stopped Starbuck. "You will do no such think, ensign. Turn round and face this review board. Now." He waited until Starbuck had turned round facing the officers at attention before continuing. "In showing exceptional valor and duty to safeguard the lives of his fellow officers here on the Enterprise and the Galactica, Starbuck is relieved of the rank of ensign." He waited for a moment, noticing that Starbuck did not move. Letting a rare public smile appear on his face, Picard continued, "And on this day he is assigned the rank of Lieutenant, junior grade. He is given this rank with all the responsibilities and duties that are implied with said rank. Congratulations, Lieutenant Starbuck."

During the whole time Picard was speaking, his mind was a thousand miles away. It was not until Comdr. Riker was taking off the ensign insignia, and placing the two buttons on his uniform that he began to realise that he was not going to the brig.

"You mean I am not going to the brig?!" Was the only statement that came out Starbuck's mouth.

Standing in front of him, Riker allowed a smile to show when he spoke. "What you did took a lot of courage Lieutenant, and also it showed a willingness to sacrifice oneself for the betterment of the mission, the ship, the fleet." Getting serious again, Riker pulled his command voice again,

"What do have to say to that Lt. Starbuck?"

Starbuck pulled his shoulders back and saluted Riker. He returned the salute telling Starbuck, "Now get out of here and report to Lt. Comdr. Worf for your duty assignment you have a lot of work to do Lieutenant." Not saying a word Starbuck, did a 180 and briskly left the room.

Exiting the room, Lt. Starbuck approached Worf. "Sir, Lt. Starbuck reporting as ordered."

Worf allowed himself to growl lightly at the new lieutenant. He had known the outcome of the meeting beforehand. Handing him a padd, "Here are the list of twenty-four volunteers to replace your three pilots, Lieutenant. It was decided while you were in sick bay that the timing of three shuttlecrafts to release the torpedoes was precarious at best with the probability models we ran. One we can manage, three on the other hand, led to an unacceptable increase in error. It was decided to put out a call to all qualified Starfleet pilots who wanted this mission. They are aware that it will be roughly a lifetime before help can meet you, choose wisely. You have full use of the holodecks four and six until we get to the spatial anomaly. Get busy, Lieutenant." With that said Worf went back to reading one of the endless reports that he receives when he is commanding the bridge. Lt. Starbuck just stood there waiting to ask his one question.

"Sir, why can't I take my trainees on viper runs? There is no better teacher than actually flying her…the vipers sir, I mean."

"I do not have the time. Go ask Comdr. Data or Lt. Comdr. La Forge for a more detailed explanation. Dismissed." As Starbuck turned to go to the lift, Worf called for Starbuck's attention. "Lieutenant, die with honoree

Starbuck was at a loss to respond. However, he did realise that in Worf's alien way, he was congratulating him. Not knowing how to reply, he answered with honesty. "Is there any other way to die?" Worf nodded and turned to his reports as Starbuck left the bridge.

After discussing his question with La Forge, Starbuck called a general meeting with all of his pilots. Deciding to break up the 24 recruits into eight teams of three recruits. He and Giffion decided on a training schedule. Realising to effectively train all eight teams he would need more holodeck time. He was unsure of the holodeck but all of his old pilots swore that it was no different than flying in space. Except if one fracked up, one could hit the restart button.

Walking into ten forward four hours later, he approached the barkeeper, requesting a glass of water with ice. Looking around he saw Riker sitting with Worf in the center of the lounge. As Starbuck walked up to both men, he fought to quell his rising uneasiness. "For Fracking Kobal, I am only asking for one additional fracking holodeck," was his thought as he walked up to them with his glass of water in hand. He politely waited for Riker to finish his conversation with Worf.

"Sir, may I have a moment of your time?" Riker looked up at Starbuck and smiled. He had a good idea of why Starbuck wanted to talk to him. He let his mind wander to the discussion he had with Picard the day before.

"Will, I've reviewed your training schedule and it is almost impossible to do with two holo decks. You're going to need three at a minimum to ensure proper training of our pilots.

"Yes, I took a ride in one of them yesterday. They are a lot harder to fly than I anticipated, sir. I can see how one can become addicted to flying these sublight craft. With our new improvements they can reach sublight speed of .998 effectively and hold that speed for three times longer than their old maximum speed allowed before engine failure."

"So, if you know this, Will, why are you assigning only two holo-decks to Starbuck? Are you reconsidering the promotion that you are recommended?" Picard did not mean to sound as judgmental as he did, but it came out that way.

"Sir, request to speak freely?"

"Will, you've always had my ear in private. Speak." Picard pulled his jacket down giving himself time to hear what his Number One was going to say.

"I am aware of your involvement with him. He is under my direct command. I can't do my job if you are going to question me every time I give him an assignment, sir. And I must point out that he is a very low ranking officer."

Picard pulled his jacket down again, mulling over what to say. "I will not discuss my personal life with you, Will, but you are right, he is a junior ranking officer. He is also an official, albeit temporary suspended liaison from another world. My question was only that I thought he had proven himself. He is unaware that tricorders always are on passive record mode when activated."

Both officers nodded at the same time; acknowledging that if all of the standard crew knew of that feature on the new tricorders, a lot of individuals would be second guessing their actions. Effectively putting their lives in danger. Only senior level officers on a need to know bases knew that fleet were using a new monitoring tool. Picard did not like it, but he had to admit it had come in handy on several occasions over the last few years.

"So, why this test, Number One?"

"Sir, when I reviewed the logs, I saw a man who can act under extreme pressure. Telling Barclay to leave knowing he was going too probably die took courage. This test will tell me if he can think through objectives and follow the chain of command. If he fails to, I will tell…suggest to him, the actual training mode and I will keep a tighter leash," Will smiled at the image, "Sir."

"Will, I can tell you that he will follow the chain of command and devise a better training schedule and, not because I am involved with him. He is starting to come along as a true officer. It will be a loss to the Fleet when he is gone," allowing himself to pause, he thought, "And, to me."

Picard got up walking to the replicator, and stated to Riker, "I want to be kept advised of the progress of our training schedule. Also, to answer that one question. Rarely does the duties of the day come into the conversation. We have a lot more to discuss than ship's business." It was then that Riker was called away.

*****

As Starbuck sat down, Worf got up, nodding a goodbye and left. Clearing his throat, Starbuck decided a frontal attack was the best way to deal with the situation. "Sir, I reviewed the training schedule and if I had a half yarn cycles…err…six of your months I could train these pilots. However, I don't. These men may be going into vipers to die a sudden death. They need more time…more time than this useless training schedule gives me. Sir."

"You know, Lieutenant, I devised that plan, what is wrong with it?" Riker's tone brooked no argument.

"Sir, I don't have enough time with two holo-decks, they would be on 12-hour shifts. That type off scheduling for this type of mission would slow them down. I need them alert. I want…" Starbuck paused and softened his request. "I need, please, another one of your holo-decks and also, I modified your training schedule to include more combat multiple vessel battles. It is unlikely at their stage in viper flying they would be going solo. They may be top pilots for your ships but your ships aren't vipers." He quickly added, "Sir."

Draining his glass of water he found himself steeling for a rejection and a dressing down. What he received made his whole day; Riker scratched his beard. "Okay, you have it. I want a copy of the modified training schedule on my desk by the beginning of Alpha shift and I want an outline of how you are going to choose your three pilots." With that said, Riker got up and left him sitting; holding an empty glass.

It was 2345 hours when Starbuck's comm terminal buzzed. Going to the terminal Starbuck hit the open pad. It was Picard sitting down obviously in his nightclothes. "Just wanted to know how the new schedule is coming along." A full smile was on his face when he saw Starbuck looking tired. He knew that Starbuck was going to be deep into reports until very late.

"Ah Jean-Luc, I am sorry. I know I was supposed to have dinner but we… I need to get my training schedule and outline for evaluation done by the beginning of alpha shift." Feeling quite bold, Starbuck asked, "Can I please see you if times permit tomorrow night…say around 2030 hours?" He allowed his eyes to show his lust for his captain.

Picard was aware of the hunger in Starbuck's eyes and his body started to respond automatically. Sighing and thinking of taking a shower, a cold one at that, he put his best neutral voice forward. "Yes, see you tomorrow, Starbuck."

After taking a shower Picard put on a loosely fitting robe, and sat down to read one of his classic novels. Choosing one at random, he opened up Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. After twenty minutes, he placed the book down, suddenly bored. Taking his flute, he started to play his favorite tune. After going through several renditions of his favorite pieces, he placed the flute down. Realising that he was still bored, he casually walked through his quarters and noticed that one of Starbuck's shirts was on the floor at the foot of his bed. Sighing, he picked it up and inhaled deeply.

Letting the musk of Starbuck fill his senses, he absentmindedly touched his groin. Inhaling more deeply he began to lazily stoke himself, taking great pleasure in letting the tension build. Not wanting to stop and get lotion to ease the friction, he stroked himself faster. Enjoying the slight discomfort from releasing himself without any lubrication. Thinking of Starbuck on his knees, Picard shuddered once then twice, allowing his jism to cover his hand. Sated, but not satisfied, Picard looked around for something to clean his hands with.

As his eyes scanned the room for a towel to wipe his hand with, Q flashed in wearing a nineteen-century butler's outfit. In his hand was a tray that held warm towels.

"Thought I'd pop in and see how you are doing. Here take one." Before Picard could respond, a warm towel materialized in his hands.

Picard took his time wiping his hands, then placed the towel down on the table next to him. He then, without rushing, tied his robe tightly around his body and sat down, staring at Q.

Q did not move at all during this whole exchange. He stood still as a perfect man's servant would have done. He only allowed himself to acknowledge the captain when a direct question was asked of him.

"Q. Why are you here? What is the point of putting me through these hoops? Are you really that bored with your life that you have to cause havoc in mine?" Picard asked all these questions knowing that he would never answer any of them. And as Picard thought of it, he did not want the answers to the other half of his questions. He had a vague idea of the answers to the other half, but he kept that part hidden deep within him.

Flashing back into his usual admiral's outfit, Q looked at Picard. "Mon capitane, life is filled with wonders and you will always jump through hoops for me." With that he flashed out and flashed in, floating several meters above the couch. "So, tell me what have you've learnt here in the Beta Quadrant, captain, and I will send you home now."

Picard smiled. "I've learnt that you are a pain in the arse, Q, anywhere you are."

Still floating, he shook his head. "Nope. You are right, but it is the wrong answer. Enjoy your stay in this boring quadrant." With that said he flashed out of the room taking his towels with him.

"Merde," was all Picard could say out loud as he stood to record the meeting in his personal logs.



Part Six

It was 0224 hours the following day, and Starbuck sat in ten forward nursing a cup of coffee. He had come to like the taste of coffee. When he returned to the Galactica, he would have his cigars back but not this drink, which he thought was better than ambrosia…sometimes. This night he wished that he could have something stronger, but he was still barred from all alcoholic drinks. Signaling to the waiter for another drink, his third cup, he mulled over the evening with his captain.

A rough voice said, "Now on your knees and elbows. Stay still Starbuck or do I have to restrain you?"

His mouth all ready in a gag, he grunted while raising his ass, spreading his knees to allow his captain better access. When his captain entered him, he realized that his captain was not using any lubrication. Biting his tongue, he refused to respond to the pain and friction.

It was a weird feeling to Starbuck; at one time he would have welcomed the pain. Apollo always gave him pain first then pleasure. But, his captain always gave nothing but pleasure, and only pleasure. So why did he want to pull away from his captain?

So lost in his own questions he did not realise that his captain was literally in and out in millicrons. Still not satisfied, Starbuck wiggled his ass again to signal to his captain that he wanted, needed more.

His captain slapped him on his ass lightly and then proceeded to hit him harder until both his cheeks were bright red. "Stand up and face me, Starbuck."

Getting up as fast as his stiff joints would allow, he faced his captain. His captain removed the cock ring and then, without any tenderness, grabbed his swollen organ, pulling on it mechanically until he shot out his wad.

With Starbuck jism on his hand, Picard brought his hand to his mouth and licked himself dry. Starbuck watched this happen and became aroused again. Picard noticed the young man's reaction.

"Take care of that yourself Starbuck," was the only statement that he made. With that said, he settled back into a chair and watched Starbuck pleasure himself. When he was finished, Picard got up and put on his robe, walking away from Starbuck.

"I have an early day tomorrow and so do you, if you want to come by after you've finished your shift. But, call first, I may be busy." Not bothering to acknowledge Starbuck, he walked to his desk and began to read some reports that he had not finished with during his official shift.

Starbuck just stood there for a moment, before taking the ball gag out of his mouth. "Sir, what I have done wrong?" He stood there, unconsciously holding his breath.

"Nothing, Starbuck, nothing…it's late…take care of yourself." Picard refused to acknowledge the man in front of him. Starbuck flustered, feeling like a girl on one of the pleasure ships. He got dressed in quick fashion. Slowly walking up to his captain, he bent down to kiss him when he noticed Picard's back stiffen. Quickly kissing him any way, he left without saying a word.

"Starbuck, do you want a fresh cup of coffee? The one I brought you ten minutes ago is still not drunk and it is cold." The waiter politely asked.

Starbuck blinked several times to focus on the cup of cold coffee in front of him. "No thanks, it's late. I think I will retire for the evening." Starbuck got up and walked to his quarter's, still undecided on how to deal with his captain.

As Starbuck got ready for bed he decided that he would not subject himself to that type of encounter. Lately the idea of being a `fuck toy' did not appeal to him. He was with his captain not Apollo and he would damn the gods if he were to go back to the old status quo. Falling asleep, he decided that if his captain wanted him, he would have to make the move. He was not going to beg. Smiling he went to sleep.

His dreams were mingled with faces of people he had known intimately throughout his life, all had been an instrument to aid in the pleasure of pain. In his dreams shaking off the people with paddles and whips and canes, his captain's face came into clear view smiling and telling him, "I will give you want you want, Starbuck, but let me give you pleasure first. After the pleasure, then I will give you what you want." Starbuck tossed and turned, somewhere in his mind, he had come to the conclusion that he had not want the pain, just the sweet pleasure that only his captain could give him. Starbuck did not sleep well that night.

Since Starbuck had decided not to call on his captain, he dove into training his new pilots. They were solid but none showed any feel for fighting, and all of them seemed to rely on the computer to maneuver in multiple attack simulations. All of the training pilots never lasted more than a couple of mircons into the battle.

He felt he was talking to doggits, they would smile and say yes and then get themselves killed in a simple attack by two or three cylon ships.

After two weeks of training, Starbuck was at a loss. They had six weeks left and none of them were showing any promise of being decent viper pilots. He had to give a report to Riker and what could he say, his pilots sucked vapors as viper pilots?

"Sir, I am at loss. None of your pilots have the feel for combat. All of them are relying too much on the computers for maneuvering in combat. They are looking at the grid and not seeing the battle in their heads, consequently they are dying really fast."

Riker looked at the reports and heard Starbuck complain, but in no time did he hear any constructive suggestions from Starbuck.

"So, what are you going to do, Starbuck? These men are the best pilots on the ship, minus the bridge crew. We have little over four weeks and the only thing our pilots can do is fire the torpedoes, and exit and enter the shuttle bay. They are not capable of surviving a cylon attack in your vipers?"

"Sir, I've talked till I am blue in the face, they are relying too much on the new computer guidance systems that you've put into the vipers. Now, my men can handle the new equipment but your men have only seen these new vipers, sir. They can't feel the ship underneath them, sir."

Riker listened and then it dawned on him. Smiling he leaned back into his chair. "You were never given a demonstration of what the full capabilities of a holodeck are, correct?"

Starbuck nodded, and waited for Riker to finish were he was going. "The decks can program anything within reason. I will have your old vipers without the improvements. Maybe without the computers, they will show us their real capabilities of being viper pilots."

Starbuck listened and it hit him, "Yes, without the new controls they would be forced to see the battle and act instinctively by not relying on a computer model to move them in and out of harm's way. Er, who's going do the reprogramming and how long will that take? Sir."

Riker smiled. "I will have it done by the beginning of alpha shift and all the parameters will remain the same except for the vipers, it will be under Starbuck training plan bravo, since it is the second program for the pilots."

"Thank you, Sir," with that said; Starbuck left Riker to finish his reports. He decided to walk to ten-forward for he was spending a lot time eating and talking with his crew and training pilots. He had just discovered that a version of his beloved pyramids was played on the ship, but it was known as poker and in the last week he had cleaned out almost every table he sat down at. It was getting to the point were he would have to lose a few choice hands not to scare the marks away. Suddenly, feeling good about himself, he did not notice who walked past him. A voice flitted over his shoulder.

"Starbuck?"

Turing round to see the captain, he beamed a smile, then quickly turned professional. Pulling his shoulders back. "Yes, Sir."

Picard walked up to him and studied his face. "I have not seen in you in awhile, I assume that your duties preclude you from dropping by?"

"Er, yes, Sir, they do," Starbuck answer was to the point.

"I assume you are off now, when you are finished with what you are doing, come by my quarter's say in 45 minutes. I need to discuss some… some... issues with you." Picard turned round and left before he could reply.

The captain waited in his quarter's while drinking a cup of tea. Standing next to a bay window he let the steam rise up to float away towards the air ducts. He looked into the rich golden texture of tea, contemplating the last week and half.

He let Starbuck walk out of his bedroom and he did not even look up to see if he was gone. Turning a boring report inside out, he finally allowed himself a few minutes to tidy himself up before going to bed.

Lying in his bed, he thought of the way he treated Starbuck. Never in his wildest dreams did he believe that he would be so animalistic. Not once during the whole evening did he bother to see if Starbuck was in pain or pleasure. The scary part of the whole evening was that he did not feel any real discomfort in his actions.

He had expected to see Starbuck the next evening. Yet, the question was, why did he act the way he did towards the young man? Was it out of spite because Starbuck's duty came first? He had no one to blame in the man's newfound professionalism. He should have been proud and in truth he was, but he finally had to admit to himself; that he had been a hipocrite. Duty and honor for himself but not for his partner. The great Jean-Luc Picard wanted a partner who was there for him and only him.

Picard tossed and turned and finally decided to get a glass of water. As he drank the cold glass of water he absentmindedly went through the list of his conquests. All of the females and the men had been strong spirited, and had a dash of individuality that over rode their respective life decisions to a fault. So why, when he found the best piece of ass in any quadrant, did he do such a selfish act, treat him like a native of Risa?

Needing to clear his head he quickly got dressed in his riding clothes and went to the senior officer's holodeck beta. Seeing that no one was using it, he entered his riding program number three into the command code. Upon entering the field he saw his favorite steed waiting for him. Mounting the horse, he rode with abandon for almost an hour before he had exhausted himself. Dismounting the horse and ending the program, he decided as he got ready for alpha shift to have a heart to heart with Starbuck when he saw him later in the day.

It was over a week and half later that he had accidentally walked past the young man. Starbuck being so engrossed in his thoughts failed to see or acknowledge him as he passed right by.

So, now with only a little over five weeks left in the BQ what was he going to do? Beg him to stay? Absolutely not. Ask for forgiveness? Again absolutely not. So, Starbuck was due in less than five minutes and he had not decided to do anything but ask him to spend the night. It may not solve the problem but at least he would not be lonely.

"Lonely…lonely…yes that is why for the last two weeks I had been feeling discontent," though Picard. The feeling that floated beyond reach was loneliness. Jean-Luc Picard laughed out loud in his room. He realized that he had taken his anger at being alone out on Starbuck. "Merde, now what am I going to do?" He stated to the empty room. It was then that the chime sounded in his room, signaling that Starbuck was waiting for him.

"Enter," Picard stated.

Starbuck entered into the room still wearing his uniform, clearly signaling to Picard he was not going to be staying long. Picard studied the young man, he noticed that the shyness that once covered him was gone. Replaced by a cool professionalism that spoke volumes to Picard.

"Can I get you something to drink, Starbuck?"

"No, I came by to see what you wanted to discuss…you made it clear you wanted to see me."

"I wanted to discuss why you have been avoiding me. Is it something I did?" Picard looked at him, and wondered if Starbuck would be honest and give a direct answer to his queries.

"Er, no, Sir. I have been busy and a lot is dependent on me to get those men trained for the mission. And frankly sir, I was not going to beg to be abused….Jean-Luc."

"Abused?" Where did this come from he thought. "Abused in what way, Starbuck?"

"The last night we spent together, I felt like a girl on a pleasure ship, Jean-Luc, and I thought I was more than a `fuck-toy' to you. Apparently, I'm not. I can wait until I see Apollo for the same type of treatment, Jean-Luc. Now, if you have nothing to say, I need to get some sleep. I have a new training schedule for my pilots that I think will lengthen their survival rate in battle." His words were harsh but he stayed, waiting for his captain to dismisses him.

"I thought you enjoyed scenes like the one I gave you. If not, you could have said something and we could have talked about it."

Before he could finish his thoughts, Starbuck interrupted, "No, I could not. I walked into the room and before I could say hi, you kissed, gagged and fucked me. Oh and you did not even please me. No, there was no time, you threw me out without even looking at me. So what was I to think, Jean-Luc?" He paused to collect his thoughts. "I love you, Sir, more than I love Apollo. You've shown me there is more power in submitting willingly and being pleased than being fucked and whipped. I will not go back to my old ways with you or him. So, why am I here?"

Picard walked up to him and tried to be honest with himself and Starbuck. "I did not realise that I was hurting you, Starbuck, I truly thought you enjoyed the scene I played with you. From what I gathered by our talks and my readings, scenes like the one I played with you are common. I know you like it rough sometimes." Picard sensed that his explanation for his behaviour was no explanation. Starbuck's eyes widen as Picard spoke.

"I know what I've told you, Jean-Luc, but remember what you said to me the first morning I slept over." Stepping back to give himself more distance from the captain, "You said, 'I can show you pleasure beyond what you normally receive, let your senses feel without pain.' I came to realise over time that I liked feeling well the next day without the dull ache of pain on my back, or arse. Your scene with me was cheap, Jean-Luc. Only a sadist would get off on that. And, I am tired of being a whipping boy. Any time I wanted to push the boundaries you showed me extreme pleasure. So, why the scene? And, don't give me I wanted it. I never asked you." He paused finishing the sentence in his mind, "and you would not do 'it' anyway...why...?"

Picard stepped into Starbuck's personal space and softly said, "I realise that I was upset that you put your reports ahead of me and I wanted to show you who was in charge. I know that you will be leaving soon Starbuck. But, I am asking you to stay with me for the remaining time..." Picard let the sentence end without admitting his true feelings. Sensing that enough was said, Picard stroked Starbuck's face while leaning into his body, Picard gently took his breath away.

Starbuck pulled his head back to study his captain's face and heard the words. No one had ever wanted to spend time with him past the scene. Even Apollo, who he loved, never admitted to wanting him around after their fuck sessions. Sure, Apollo would let him hang around in public, or in his quarters when Adama was off the Galactica on official business. Yet, never in all the years he and Apollo had been lovers, would he stay after the scene was finished.

Smiling, while looking into his captain's eyes, he began to feel love. Love for a person who was strong enough to admit, albeit backhandedly that they were tired of being alone. Tire of being alone and wanting him, to ease the pain of loneliness. He was touched to his soul by the confession of his lover.

"Do you want me to stay the night?" Starbuck looked straight into Picard's eyes when he asked the question.

"I want you to stay every night you are with me until morning." Walking boldly into Starbuck's personal space, he took his lover lips and claimed them.

As their kisses became more passionate, unspoken, they decided to put the games aside for the night. They quickly undressed each other, watching their bodies become exposed.

Starbuck was so beautiful to Picard. As Starbuck slowly sank to his knees, Picard was still over powered by the idea of how someone so gorgeous as he would have wanted to be with him for more than a long weekend or occasional heated moment. A man almost thirty years his junior, Starbuck's deft tongue touched a sweet spot, and all thoughts of age flew from his mind. Willing himself not to come in his lover's mouth, Picard vowed that this night would be different. Jean-Luc needed to prove his love. After letting Starbuck lie back on the bed, he lay half atop of the younger man, kissing his sweet face all over. Starbuck's sweat was delicious and Jean-Luc loved to watch the emotions flit across his face as he continued to caress and kiss him.

Starbuck was moaning by the time Jean-Luc's tongue wrapped around the base of his cock. He had never been so thoroughly explored by a lover in this way. He felt like he was being bathed by the warm wet tongue. When Picard's mouth moved down to lick and play with his balls, Starbuck was groaning, wanting more.

He was even more surprised when Picard expertly moved in-between his splayed legs. In one fluid motion Picard lifted the younger man's legs throwing them over his shoulders while releasing his cock. "Tonight, Starbuck, I want to see all of you!" He thrusted deeply into Starbuck's channel while bending down to steal a kiss rom him.

Picard's thrusts were timed to his stroking his lover's cock, adjusting his angle, he thrust deeper into Starbuck. As the young man exploded into Jean-Luc's hand, Starbuck's eyes rolled back as he felt his lover explode in his body.

As Starbuck laid in the glow of his orgasm, Picard kissed each eye. Starbuck opened his eyes to see his captain's sparkle. "You see Starbuck, I can give you want you need." Starbuck only nodded and closed his eyes. As Picard pulled the covers over both them, Starbuck turned to snuggle closer to Picard's warm body. More to himself than to his lover, he whispered, "I can give you want you need." In his mind, the statement was amended with the word "sometimes." Trying not to think of the implied meaning of his words, Picard's body shut down for the night as he listened to Starbuck's light snores.



Part Seven

The new program worked wonders for the training pilots, in a week's time he was able to judge the top ten pilots, giving his report to Riker, he handed the padd with the ten finalists. It was then that Starbuck would start his battle training in earnest. As he walked out of the office, Riker said, "Why don't we give these finalists 48 hours of liberty, Starbuck? Training is going better than expected and in less than four weeks they will be leaving the Enterprise for good. I think it would help if they had some down time to spend with their loved ones."

Starbuck turned to see Riker's eyes shine, before he answered he posed a question, "And it's because they are leaving the Fleet to become Warriors in a second rate Starfleet right?"

"No. Your technology is different. It is a unique blend of 21st and 24th century technology. It is just that Counselor Troi has suggested that the men be given some R&R before they start their intensive training. Even though only three are going to be with you, they all need to be capable of stepping in to do the job, Starbuck."

Smiling, he folded his arms in front of him. "I already did that, Sir. They are to report to the holodecks for training in 48 earth hours. Is that all, may I go?"

Riker hid his smile and nodded for him to leave. "Jean-Luc, you've picked yourself a winner," he thought as he hit the comm link to ask Beverly to have dinner with him.

Starbuck stepped into his captain's quarters hungry. The final test before he had cut 14 pilots and the meeting with Riker, stirred his appetite. He thought if he did not watch himself he would gain weight, but he was thankful his captain kept him active enough so his weight stayed constant. Smiling, he chuckled to himself when he thought of his meeting with Jean-Luc that morning.

Standing under the hot water washing himself, he felt his captain enter the shower. Feeling a light kiss on the back of his neck, he moaned as he leaned into the warm body. "My captain what are you doing?" Starbuck laughed as he sighed contentedly as Jean-Luc stroked his chest, touching his nipples until they became pebbles.

"I'm fucking my lover in the shower, Starbuck." Laughing, he pushed Starbuck next to the wall, pulling his lover's cheeks apart. Starbuck sighed again, "You know, Captain, you are turning me into what you call a pleasure slut...Yes!"

Picard smiled at the response Starbuck was giving him. They were like honeymooners on Risa. For the last week Picard felt like a teenager with energy to spare. Several nights they never finished dinner. Their lovemaking had no real scenes per se. Some slight feather play, some light bondage but mostly a lot of foreplay designed to drive Starbuck wild with need. But the best time that Jean-Luc had with his lover was the intimate times they had after they had finished, basking in the aura of each other's love. Jean-Luc did not want their time to end.

Picard had figured out on their third night together that he was pouring all of his emotions into each scene, not wanting it to end. What did Troi say, "Why can you not live a life time in three months?" Well, not three months, more like four and half weeks. It was enough, had to be enough, but when he left, all he would have would be his duty to the Fleet.

The shower was wondrous, never did Starbuck believe that a shower could be so erotic. Hell, water on any of the ships was for drinking and sonic showers were had by all except the Council of Twelve and Commander Adama. He was going to miss hot long fucking showers.

Starbuck looked for his lover as he walked into the room, not seeing his captain, he entered into the ready room were he saw the captain reading a report.

"Burning the torches late are we?" He walked around the desk to kiss his captain. Bending down to kiss him, he noticed that Picard was tense.

"What is wrong, Sir? Have I offended you in anyway?"

"No, Starbuck, you have not. I just got a report from Lt. Barclay and La Forge about the energy reading you picked up on your last two away missions. They think they have found out what those energy readings are." Handing his padd over to Starbuck he told him to take his time in reading the reports.

Starbuck sat down on the sofa in the office and started to read. His expression went from curiosity to surprise to outright disbelief. "You've got to fracking kidding. No way is this report right. Has it been double checked?"

"I am afraid so, Starbuck. I was going to wait until after dinner but we never seem to get past dinner, plus I called for a full command staff meeting. Since this concerns your people, I am ordering you to be there also. You have roughly thirty minutes to get ready." Looking at Starbuck sprawled on the couch with legs opened, Picard forced himself to behave, and he asked Starbuck, "Do you want me to replicate a meal for you?"

"Er, no Jean-Luc. I think I will re-read this report." Picard nodded and left to prepare for the meeting.



Part Eight

Conference room one hour later.

Starbuck sat at the same chair he had occupied five months before; staring at a holo-projection screen, as La Forge projected the effects of the energy waves. "This is a projection of the anomaly from first time we spotted it." The blur was white and it appeared to pulsate as Starbuck watched. "Notice the planets here and here, they were in stable orbits three months ago, now notice only one is in stable orbit. According to Lieutenant Starbuck, it is Caspian; the other planet is a class F planet. A current projection of the area shows there are no class M planets in this solar system. I believe that these energy waves are disturbing the planet rotation causing the planet to lose all of its atmospheric pressure."

Starbuck sat looking at the screen; the only emotion that he allowed himself to show was bafflement. "Frack, I don't get it...we left this solar system yarns ago. Why bother to destroy planets that no humans are on…why bother destroying class M planets only?"

Worf suggested; "It seems that these second rate Borg have no intention of allowing life to develop in any fashion on your worlds."

"It would appear that are burning their bridges," Riker threw the thought out.

"Burning bridges?" Starbuck repeated those words but the tone showed no knowledge of the idiom that Riker used."

"In our world, there were many wars, Lieutenant. In the Second World War, early 20th century, the Russians were being defeated by the Axis powers. In their retreat, they scarred the earth and burnt all the bridges as they crossed them, slowing down their enemy's advancement."

"I do not see how that term applies now. They are the winners in this solar system…why bother?"

"I would assume that they are making sure that no humans can ever live there if they lose the war."

"Great, so we can't double back and…" Starbuck was about to finish his statement when it all made sense. "The Lords of Fracking Kobal… Data, can your sensors detect class M planets from here that are in front of the Galactica?"

Picard asked, "Why?"

"Because, when I met you on the other side of the asteroid belt, we encountered short and long range cylon attack ships. When we met at the Galactica, we went on full alert while you were talking to the Council of Twelve. We encountered no ships. Apollo had commented to me how weird it was not having seen any. We attributed it to luck…But now…suppose they are jumping in front of us and destroying Class M planets… We would eventually run out of supplies and…oh my god, we've got to get a message to the Pegasus now." Starbuck was out of his seat, starting to walk out the door when Picard called him back.

"Lieutenant, you will remain calm and take your seat. Now."

"There is nothing we can do now. If we send a message on your frequencies, there is a good chance they will know we are here."

"We have four weeks, gentlemen. I want a viable plan that we can give Starbuck to take back to the Pegasus." Picard left the room, leaving the command staff to brainstorm ideas.

Counselor Troi watched Starbuck throughout the entire meeting sensing a steady rise in emotional distress in the young man, as he realized that his people where effectively being choked to death. Waiting until the captain had left, she politely asked him to stay after they had broken up into committees to further explore the problem.

"Starbuck I sense great agitation from you. I would like you to express to me as clearly as possible the emotions you are facing."

Starbuck just looked at her, "Frankly Counselor, this is not my sex ife and this will not effect my duties. Now, excuse me, I have to tell my pilots that their home worlds are no longer habitable."

"Lieutenant, tell your pilots that I will be dropping by to see them individually. I know this is going to be a painful experience for your people."

"Pain, Counselor? No, painful was leaving our homes…this is…this...if you'll excuse me." Starbuck did not wait to acknowledge her as he left to tell his pilots that they had no home worlds.



90 minutes later

Picard sat at his desk reviewing the report that Barclay and La Forge had given, "It seems that Worf's second rate Borg have just been up graded." He thought as the door chimed.

Picard swung around calling out, "enter," as the door slide open.

There stood Starbuck just standing at the archway. Being that the ship was in late beta watch, the lights where on the ship dimmed to twilight setting. Picard could not see the pain that flashed across Starbuck's eyes as he slowly walked into the room.

Without being asked Starbuck flopped down on Picard's sofa, as he griped his head between his hands as his body attempted to curl into a fetal position.

"Jean-Luc, I just did the most painful act of my whole life. I had to tell my pilots that their home worlds were destroyed."

A slight moan utter from his throat. From Picard's vantage point the moan, sounded as if it were a strangled sob.

Getting up from his seat, he approached Starbuck, when he was next to him, Picard gently put his hand on the young man's shoulder. "If you want me to get counselor Troi here for you to see her, I will."

Swinging his hands away from his face, "I don't want to see her! I want you...now." With that statement, Starbuck went onto his knees, nestling his face in Picard's groin.

Picard stepped back placing both his hands on Starbuck's face. " I really believe you should see the counselor to deal with your pain, Starbuck."

Starbuck grabbed Picard's hands and knee walked closer to his lover, "I want....I want...you to help me forget...please."

Picard understood what Starbuck wanted, "Starbuck, I really think you should deal with this now. Making love to you will not make the pain you feel go away."

"No, but the pain will...please make me forget...please."

Picard was at a lose, the one true scene he had with Starbuck was the one of the few time in his life that he had felt out of control. "I have to be strong for him, for him to draw strength from me, I must be strong," Thinking these thoughts, Picard looked into Starbuck's face, trying not to notice the pain that oscillated in his eyes. Picard said, "Starbuck, it is at times like this that one has to be focus, you need to talk to Counselor Troi to deal with this." Stating that he took several steps back from Starbuck, waiting for the young man to regain his composure.

Starbuck's tone was neutral, as he lifted his face to take in the sharp aquiline features of Picard's face. "Yes, you are right captain. I must remember my duty." With all the sincerity he held for all of his encounters on the pleasure ships he muttered, "I will…deal with this." Not waiting for Picard to answer, he quickly got off the floor and walked out of Picard's office and life.

Six hours later, Starbuck was awakened by security; he was found face down in the arboretum with a bottle of Risa Ale, a very potent drink for humans.

"Lieutenant Worf, Sir, this is crewman Jasson, security detail omega 5b. We have Lieutenant Starbuck. He is in the arboretum, Sir. He is unconscious with an empty bottle of Risa Ale." Picking up the bottle, he added to his report, "It is a very good year, 2291, sir."

Worf could not understand the need to drink at such a time when clear heads were needed. "Bring him to Sickbay and let them look after him." He decided that though Riker should know about this, the counselor should be the one to deal with his relapse. Shaking his head, he hit the comm link. "Counselor, could I please see you?"

Troi's voice floated back, "Of course, Worf. How about in 30 minutes?"

One word came back over the link. "Yes."

Worf stood in front of the Counselor, briefly recapping the information about Starbuck, informing her that he was being treated at sickbay. Nodding that she understood, he left while she made herself a cup of hot chocolate. Slowly sipping from the cup, her thoughts wandered back to their breakthrough session a couple of weeks ago.

"I want the pain. I need the pain. It focuses me on my lover's needs. But when I with him…there is no pain. Only intense pleasure and the pain that is in me is washed over in pleasure." He mumbled as he stared at the floor.

Troi watched his body as she felt his mind come to terms with his statement. "However, Starbuck, you've mentioned that when you are with Apollo, there is nothing but pain then an orgasm. So, what are you telling me?" She wanted him to vocalize his emotions, part of the healing process. She knew, but he had to discover the facts himself.

Starbuck shuffled in his seat for a full minute before he opened his mouth. "The pain takes me away from the what happening around…in me. I'll admit it, but more than that, I don't have to feel anything but the physical needs of the moment. With Jean-Luc, I want to be there the entire time. However, pain does let me escape from what I feel."

Counselor Troi inwardly smiled, now she was getting somewhere. "I think you should consider why pain lets you escape, Starbuck, and we will discuss that at our next session tomorrow." Smiling, she got up from her seat to indicate that the session was over. Starbuck returned her smile and was about to walk out of her office, stopping at the door, he turned and said,

"Maybe that is why I like to drink so much also, eh?"

Troi openly smile. "Great, that is it, Starbuck, make the connections yourself," she thought, out loud she responded, "I think you should consider that also, but not tonight, enjoy the evening Lieutenant."

Starbuck nodded and walked out the door as Troi hit her comm badge, "Lieutenant Worf, are you free to have dinner tonight?"

A very rough voice hungrily floated over the air. "Yes."

Frowning, she sipped the last of her drink, knowing that when she confronted Starbuck on his behavior, it would not be another break through, but several steps backwards in his recovery.

Lieutenant Starbuck sat on the bio-bed drinking a cup of coffee that nurse Omaga had brought him. The detox shot that was given twenty minutes earlier had cleared his head enough for him to ask for it.

"Look nurse, I am fine. I had a little too much to drink. Thanks for the coffee and the shot. Now can I please leave?" Starbuck's voice may have been polite, but the tone was argumentative.

The nurse looked at the bio-bed and checked her scanner. "I will have to notify Dr. Crusher of this visit, sir, as per regulations. However, I see no reason for you to stay here. Dr. Crusher will discuss this incident with you at her connivance." The nurse pressed the keys on the padd and walked away.

Before Starbuck could leave the room, Troi stepped into the enclave area. "Hello, Starbuck." She studied the young man. Sensing several layers of emotion all swinging in opposite directions. "I wanted to stop by and find out if you were okay. I am not going to say the obvious, Lieutenant." She waited for his denials to surface.

Starbuck just stared at her and thought she had to be a "Fracking alien." Clearing his throat, "I had one too many. I am leaving this ship in less than four weeks. What are you going to do about it, Counselor?"

She heard his tone and decided to play the same game. "Nothing, however, I think you really do not want the captain to know of this, do you?"

"You bitch. You would not dare." Starbuck thought he would get a dressing down from Riker or, a long drawn out session from the counselor. But, he had not thought that she would break confidence and report it to the captain.

"I would, Lieutenant. I want your word that you will not drink any alcohol on this ship. You have a problem and you are prone to addictions. If we were in Federation Space, I would be relieving you of duty. But, we are here. So, your word, Lieutenant."

Starbuck bit his tongue, savoring the feel of the warm copper flavor of his blood. He deliberately bit harder into his tongue, causing the puncture to be enlarged. He almost moaned from the pleasure of the sensation. Swallowing the blood in his mouth, he told her,

"So, we are here." Starbuck's only rebut to her threats. With that said, he placed the cup of coffee down and walked past her without looking at her. Wanting to be alone for awhile, he paused at medical technician's table and tossed his com badge into a petrie dish.

Leaving sickbay, Starbuck walked around the ship for hours. At 0345 am in the middle of delta watch; Starbuck found himself in front of general holodeck F, hitting the comm link from the archway of the holodeck. "Lieutenant Ercha, this is Starbuck, could you please meet me in front of holodeck F now?"

Twenty minutes later, "I don't know, Starbuck. I mean I know I owe you a lot of credits, but if you hurt yourself, I will be held accountable," the man evasively stated.

"Look, I only want to fly with an edge in the same fracking asteroid that I flew through. So I already know it. Look, if I get hurt, I will tell them that I forced you into it, okay?" His eyes shone with all the false sincerity that he held for the pleasure boys on the friendship ships.

The man thought about it and decided what the hell, Starbuck was gone in a few weeks and he could fly those sublight ships. Touching the controls to the Arch way, "Computer, this is Senior Grade Lieutenant Ercha, release safety protocols for holodeck F. Voice authorization Ercha, gamma 10 alpha, alpha. Four." Pausing to look at Starbuck, he told him, "Okay but if you see yourself hitting an asteroid, the only way to get out is to call computer to end program not halt, okay? So, you may find yourself falling a couple of feet to the deck."

Starbuck sighed inwardly. "Thank you, Lieutenant, your debt is cleared with me." The Lieutenant walked away, going to the turbo lift. Wondering if he had enough time to go to Ten-Forward for a meal before his official day off started.

When the Ercha was out of range, Starbuck touched the computer padd again. "Computer, delete flying sequence. Enter Jean-Luc's Marquise De Sade program. Ensure auto-lock from arch way." Smiling he had to thank Picard for all the wonderful literature and late night discussions that he had with him.

Walking into an opened study, there stood a middle age man dressed in the most particular garb that Starbuck had ever seen. A beautiful young man naked except for a collar, knelt serving the man while he drunk from a large flute. The man turned to see Starbuck watching him.

"So, you have come to visit me again, Mon Capitane? Would you like some of this, or do you just want to watch as you always do, eh, Capitane?

"Get rid of the boy tonight, for tonight I dance with you." He stated as he took off his jacket and placed on the high back chair.

"So, Mon Capitane, you want to dance tonight?"

Not answering the man while taking in the atmosphere, he boldly walked up to the wine decanter and helped himself to a liberal drink. As Starbuck drank the wine, he had expected it to be the syn-ale he was drinking at Ten-Forward. As the wine rolled in his mouth, he knew that it was the real product. "Thank you, Sir, for sparing nothing but the best in your fantasies," he thought while he turned to see the man walking away from him and opening a door that had what appeared to be stairs leading farther down into the house.



Several hours later

The chains bit into his skin and the red welts that crossed his back and upper legs were starting to bleed. His eyes stung from salt that came from his sweat that dripped down his brow. The man walked around him, smiling. "Ah, Mon Capitane you are enjoying yourself, do you want more?"

Starbuck had let the pain ebb and flow into his consciousness, not paying attention to the rambling of the man. He had doubted the reality of the holodecks even while he flew in the simulated vipers. But this reality he could not doubt, the pain was real, the most he had felt in more than a half of yarn. Trying to wet his lips to ask the man to repeat himself, he found that the man had expertly placed a gag ball into his mouth, as he had opened his mouth.

Shaking his head, he tried to spit the gag out, only to be held tightly by the man, "You will stop Mon, and enjoy this," sneering a sexy leer at Starbuck naked body. "We will go places one has gone before Capitane, eh?" With that, he walked around Starbuck to show a cat o nine tails with pins tied randomly at the frayed ends of the whip.

Starbuck could only shiver at the sight of the man testing the whip. "Now, shall we really begin, Mon Capitane?" That was that last voice he heard as his mind embraced the cool hot pain that swam through his body, groin, and soul.



0845 hours alpha shift

"Sir, that is what we are telling you, Starbuck is not here at either of the other holodecks. We are commencing training anyway." Warrior 2nd class Giffion reported before entering his viper to start the simulation runs.

Commander Riker was at a loss to where Starbuck was located; asking the computer, he found that Starbuck's comm link was left at sickbay.

A search of his quarters and talking to Counselor Troi had led to no answers. Discreetly asking the captain if he was aware of Starbuck's location led to no further knowledge of his whereabouts. It was then that Riker ordered a ship wide search for the man.



1349 hours holodeck F

The man had entered him again, each time taking more of Starbuck's soul with him, with each vicious thrust. The cockring was tight but not as tight and blue as Starbuck's weeping penis. Cracked lips with blood slowly moving down his chin, Starbuck tried to lick his own blood. The man walked around Starbuck. "You are enjoying yourself, eh? I have never seen someone be as brave as you are, Mon" Pausing, he then asked, "Do you wish to say something?"

Releasing the gag ball, it was quickly replaced by the man's mouth that claimed ownership of Starbuck's. The kiss was dizzying, starving Starbuck even more of oxygen. Starbuck did not fight the mouth; he relaxed into the man's full ownership of him. And, why not… his body had become property of the man early in the night.

Licking the stream of blood off Starbuck's chin, the man said, "Now we have played, now shall we dance. Walking over to his wall, he removed a cane hanging there. Testing the strength of the cane he then placed it back on the wall. Taking a thinner cane off the wall, he again repeated the process. With a grunt, he slowly walked to Starbuck who hung lifelessly on his chains.

Starbuck became aware of the man caressing his back with a cool object. Opening his eyes as the first hit tapped his back, Starbuck hollered far into the empty house. With swift deft movements, the man hit him multiple times. The screams that came from Starbuck were in perfect concert with each stroke the man took.

Starbuck's back and legs were numb; the floor covered in blood that ran freely from his back. With the final stroke, Starbuck shuddered a weak orgasm and groaned out his captain's name.

"Ah, Mon, I am here, not Jean-Luc. Tell me what you want and I will give it to you."

Starbuck cracked voice whispered, "More, take it from me, all of it. Now." Looking up into the man's eyes he saw pure evil as the man nodded.



2045 hours-Outside the holodeck F

"Sir, this is crewman Webb outside of holodeck F, sir. Could you please come down here?

Riker shaking the sleep from his head, asked; "Have you found him?

"No, Sir. I found a program with its safety protocols off and it is on auto-lock. Sir, you need to see the program being run, sir, it makes no sense to me."

"Well, what is it?"

"Sir, it is a Marquee De Sade program, whatever that is?" The crewman replied.

"I will be right there crewman," was the only response from Riker.

Riker was not in a good mood, he liked his sleep. Striding up to the holodeck, Riker relieved the crewman and touched the command codes for the holodeck. Seeing that Senior Grade Lieutenant Ercha had released the safety protocols, he tapped his com link.

"Lieutenant Ercha why have you released the safety protocols on holodeck F?"

There was a long delay in the response. "Sir, Lt. Starbuck wanted to fly with what he called an edge, I owed a lot of credits to him from our poker matches, and…"

Riker when he heard the name of Starbuck inwardly groaned, "Lt. Ercha consider yourself on report. I will deal with you later." Not waiting for a response he hit is com link again.

"Counselor Troi, can you meet me at holodeck F, now."

A few minutes later Troi and Riker both stood in front of the archway. Troi upon being informed, realized what was occurring. It was Troi's suggestion that they halt the program before going into the holodeck. Upon entering the holodeck, Troi gasped out loud, Riker hit his com link. "Computer emergency beam out to sickbay, authorization Riker."

They materialized in the center of Sickbay. Starbuck laid on the ground naked. His back had no top layer of skin. His face had multiple bumps and bruises. Both eyes were shut due to the excessive amounts of blood that was in-between the eyelids.

The nurse upon seeing this called for Dr. Crusher immediately, then with the help of Riker placed him on a bio-bed. Riker stepped back to give the tech room to work. It was Troi who suggested that Picard be notified immediately.

One hour later Picard, Riker and Troi were in Dr. Crushers quarters awaiting to hear if Starbuck would survive the night. Troi looked over to Riker and quietly said, "Will, I shall inform you of his condition. I need to speak with the Captain alone." Riker nodded and walked out the door still not believing what little he was told. He thought his taste were varied and to be honest, he was opened to almost any sensation but pain somehow he could not fathom the idea that pain was pleasurable. He quietly asked the gods of the universe to keep the young man alive, as he left to start his shift very early.

Troi asked the only question that need to be asked at the moment, "How did he get your program sir?"

Speaking quickly and quietly, the captain said, "That is one of my private programs; I gave Starbuck voice authorization to use my programs. I had introduced him to the joys of horseback riding a couple of days ago. I had no idea he would use this program. The safety protocols were off...Counselor..I am...I..can not believe he would do this? Why? As he thought of Starbuck lying on the bio bed near death, shock turned into anger and, the real question that he privately asked, "Why had he not come to me? I could have helped." Inwardly Picard clasped down on the feeling that Starbuck had lost his battle for control. Using his years of training, he dismissed the line of thought that was developing is mind, the last thought before he compartmentalized his emotions was, " Could I have done this?"

Picard pulled his jacket down, averting Deanna's stare. Sensing that she would ask too many personal questions, he looked up into her concerned face, and said, "I want to see Starbuck alone for a few moments and then I have ship business to attend to Counselor."

Troi nodded and knew that she had to question him thoroughly on the subtext of his edging phrase, 'I could of have helped help.' "Yes, I need to attend to my duties as well… another time, Captain?" Picard nodded and both walked out of Beverly's office. As they past Starbuck's bed, Picard stooped and studied his lover's heavily bruised and battered body, while Troi walked out of sick bay.

Quietly studying the man, Picard in a audible whisper asked,

"Starbuck why would you do this, can you hear me?"

Starbuck opened his eyes to slits, seeing his captain, he hoarsely whispered, "Taking the pain away...all of It. Taking the pain away…" with that said he passed out.


Two hours later the captain and Troi were again inn Dr. Crusher's office.

"I've stabilized his vitals…he is going to be okay in about a week. He had kidney damage; I had to replace the organ and his spleen. The wounds were deep, very deep with excessive amounts of blood loss. However, we corrected that problem. He is lucky we found him...he clearly would have died if the computer program were allowed to run much longer."

Dr. Crusher's tone showed her frustration, "How do you want this to be handled? Knowing his life style choices and his past behavior, I am willing not to enter this in his medical logs for us. However, this must be resolved before he leaves for the mission. He is going to kill himself if the root of his self-destructive behavior is not found and stopped."

"Doctor, could you please leave? I need to talk to the counselor now." Dr. Crusher looked surprised and was about to state it was her office, however the look that both Troi and Picard gave left no room for discussion or comment.

Clearing his throat, he went to her dispenser. "Tea Earl Gray hot." "Not bothering to look at the counselor, he quietly said, "I assure you that I had no idea he was capable of this level of masochistic behavior. We…I never delved into this aspect of his needs. I showed him only tenderness."

Troi thought carefully and phrased her question, "You knew what his sexual predilections were Jean-Luc, did you ever discuss his need for pain within the sexual encounter?"

Studying the tea, he looked up, "I tried your suggestion of watching a holo-novel, the one Starbuck used....I am a man of control. I like my life, my ship, my sex , all neat and orderly Deanna. What I witness on the holo-deck....I..." He let his thoughts trail off wanting to end the conversation, he put the tea down and adjusted his jacket.

"I cannot do this anymore, counselor, I acknowledge my need for him, but I cannot help him. He could have came to me, instead he choose to do this to himself." Shaking his head, pulling his jacket down. "Off the logs, help him. I will not see him again unless it is directly related to ship business."

Troi understanding Picard's actions, retorted, "Yes, you are man of control and what you felt in observing the holo-novel was a complete loss of control" Pausing she noticed Picard's back tighten when she stressed the word control. "That's it. The control factor," she thought.

"No Jean-Luc, I've been counseling Starbuck for weeks now intensively. The one true constant in his opinion of you, is that he feels you are there for him. I'm not breaking any confidentiality when say, 'You were not there for him.' Am I right?"

Picard look at his tea again, "I could not do that for him Troi. The lack of control I felt in playing that one scene and viewing the holo novel is abhorrent to me."

"I know control is an issue with you, and..." Before she could finished her sentence, Picard turned to face her. "No, you are mistaken Deanna I am not scared of losing control. I'm scared of liking it too much to the point that I would lose myself."

She was not prepared to hear this and was taken aback by his complete honesty. Nodding absentmindedly to rethink her thoughts carefully, she stated; "However, sir, denying your needs and feelings now would in my opinion be wrong. Granted he is leaving in a few weeks. However, I think you should resolve your emotional needs with this man, you only have a limited time frame to work with," pausing to stress her intent, she dropped into the informal, "Jean-Luc" to end her sentence.

"When does he get released from sickbay, Counselor?" He snapped.

"He should be out by the end of next week, that is when Beverly has indicated that he could function."

Picard looked at her and then let his eyes float over her shoulders to the bio-bed that held his lover's silently sleeping body. "I will see him then." He walked out to continue his duties; forcing himself not to look at Starbuck's body. Yet, as he approached the door he turned round and sadly took in Starbuck's body.



Conference Room, Three days later, Alpha Shift

Picard sat back and pulled his jacket down, "So, you want us to let you, Lieutenant Barclay, fly the Checkvo? You are convinced that your equipment can detect these energy waves and neutralize them. Why can we not train one of the our pilots to do this?" The captain was not keen on the idea of leaving one his best officers in the quadrant.

"Sir, I have checked all the files of all 24 pilots and, frankly, none of them have the expertise to do this. None are from engineering backgrounds. I could fly the ship, avoiding their sensors and meet the Pegasus a couple of days in advance, setting up the equipment and training the personal, then go to the Galactica and repeating the process, sir." Pausing he added,

"Sir, these cylons have hyper-space technology and it's quite conceivable that they could jump so far ahead of their armada, that in less than 40 years they will be entering the alpha quadrant. Who knows what type of advancement they could develop as they destroy class M planets? They need to be stopped here in this quadrant. We can refit their shielding and adjust to their fire power to destroy them and also, along the way, halt the destruction of the planets they are doing this too…we…I can do this."

Picard looked at his crew, "Options anyone?"

"Sir, we have gone over all scenarios, and this is the only viable plan." La Forge interjected before Riker could state the obvious,

"Uh, we are assuming that Starbuck can and will succeed in bringing all the vipers and the Checkvo to safety."

Counselor Troi spoke up, "Well, I know what he did was a very dangerous act, but his destructive behavior is only directed to himself not the mission. In fact, it is the mission that is motivating him to engage in the sessions I am having with him. I believe he will get everyone back to safety."

Picard studied the faces in his command crew, he then studied Barclay's face and felt also that it was the right decision. "Lieutenant Barclay, it was an honor to have you on my ship. Make it so." Stating that, he left the conference to go to his office to write a much-needed report that would be directed to Cain and Adama.


A Week later in Counselor Troi's office

Troi sat impassively, watching Starbuck fidget in the overstuffed chair. "Look, I fracked up, counselor. I don't handle failure well. At the time, I wanted to escape from the feeling of helplessness and I had succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. It occurred to me at one point that I could've died. But, I was so into the scene; I chose not to think of that. The pain...the pain was exquisite, counselor. I never felt that free."

"So, escaping from failure and escaping from your own feeling is the impetus of your masochistic tendencies. I think not, you're trying to give pat answers to my questions and avoiding the issues. Why did you not at least go to him for help? If you cared for him as much as you've stated before?"

Starbuck gripped the armrest, forcing himself to stay and listen to her questions. "I just did not want to bother him with my needs, counselor, he tries to be the top, but in his eyes, I see…I see..."

"See what, Starbuck?" Troi asked the question not sure of Starbuck's oscillating emotions were leading. She knew that if she did not tread lightly he would shut down all of his emotions. Making his recovery more difficult than it already was.

"He is a fracking dilataint, He doesn't have the strength to be a real top in the scene. Okay?" Starbuck shouted out the statement in a venomous snarl and hugged his face, covering his eyes. He did not see that the statement made, Troi nodded. Surprised that Starbuck could be that perceptively wrong. She had not expected him to say that.

Starbuck's mind raced through his scene on the holo-deck, the man thought he was the captain. And, when I asked the man to get rid of the boy , the man was visible surprised that Picard would actual participate in a scene. "The man just thought that Picard would come watch and not participate. When I asked the man to take the pain away, I just knew that Jean-Luc would never have done what the man did for me. Picard is a fracking dilataint in the game, and that is why he never bother to take me over the edge, he doesn't have the courage to play out the novel or scene." He whisper quietly.

Opening his eyes and removing his hands from his face, Starbuck looked at the counselor, "Look, can I go now? I have less than two weeks before we depart, and I need to take care of some personal business."

Troi gazed at Starbuck. "Okay Starbuck, take care of your personal business. I think we should talk some more. I think you are viewing events in a very narrow perspective. Clearly this will not be resolved by the time you leave. You have counselors on your ships, I suggest you find someone to discuss these tendencies or they will take over, and I fear that no one will be there to end that program. Be advised, there will be a communiqué in the batch messages directed at your CMO at the Galactica."

"Fine, just fracking Fine!" Starbuck growled, as he started to leave the room without looking back at her. Troi's voice floated over his shoulder halting him at the door.

"Have you asked him about the program? Have you talked to him? Starbuck, You will see him and discuss this today." Her tone had lost all of the counselor's voice in its place was her command voice. He turned to look at her and smile his best pyramid smile; and, left the room.



Chapter Nine

Starbuck sat stiff as a board, hearing the overview by Commander Data on the final preparations to the current operation. All the vipers and shuttles would be deployed to guard the Enterprise while she was powering down and being reconfigured to enter the anomaly.

According to sensor reports, the anomaly was located right in the middle of Starbuck's home solar system, a quarter light year away from Starbuck's home planet. The Enterprise would be at full stop on the outer rim of the solar system. There would be no place for her to hide while she was in level four mode.

Starbuck voiced concerns of a cylon patrol crossing paths or if a cylon Basestar was to be in front of the spatial rift were rejected as a low-grade concern. However, his question of how far out did they want the vipers to patrol was answered when Picard stood up and walked over to the three-dimensional display and keyed in a series of numbers.

"There will be two rings, I want the shuttles to be 60,00 kilometers out. While the vipers are to remain next to Enterprise flank her on both sides. At exactly one hour from out departure from this point, all shuttles will return to the Enterprise. And, the vipers and the Checkvo will expand their perimeter to 40, 000 kilometers to escort us to the rift. If we encounter a cylon patrol, I expect the vipers to neutralize the threat without alerting their base camp of our present. Our scanners have not detected any Basestars in this solar system. If we do encounter one, we will deal with that if it arises."

Starbuck grunted his lack of approval to the plan. "Sir, I know this all seems nice on the vid screen, but my gut tells me they are aware of this anomaly and it is only a matter of time before they send a Basestar to investigate. Plus, if they have been studying this thing, they are aware of its diminishing size. I am asking, is there any way we can send you through earlier than our current projection?

Picard looked at the men that would be leaving the Enterprise in less than a week. "Again, for the benefit of the none-command staff members, optimum safety for the ship and lives of the crew, we need to do a level four check which will take exactly four days, I expect that our shuttles and vipers will neutralize any problems if they arise. I know you will do your duty." Picard walked out of the briefing room, trying to get a hold of his temper.

Walking to the dispenser, ordering a sandwich and Taralean ice tea, taking the meal to his desk, he failed to see a light appear on his couch as he sat at his desk to have a working dinner.

"Johnny, your choice of food is so common!" As Q spoke those words, Picard's plate winked out and in its place appeared a plate of lamb smothered in sage and garlic, with wild earth rice, and a bottle of wine that Picard recognized as one of his own.

Picard turned to see Q smirk. "Q." The disdain dripped from his voice. "What could you possibly want of me now? If is to tell me something useful, tell me or leave now. I am not in the mood."

Walking behind where Picard sat, Q bent down, letting his breath out slowly, "I just thought I would send you off with a good meal. Your culture did that to people who were about to die."

Picard adjusted himself in his chair, trying to ignore Q's intrusion into his personal space. "Who is going to die, Q? What are you trying to say?"

Blinking out then reappearing in front of Picard, he paced the quarters. "If I were you, Mon Capitane, I would try not to be too smug. You're not in the alpha quadrant yet. And this is a small galaxy."

"Q... before he could finish asking his question, Q left. Pushing his plate of food away, Picard walked out of his quarters and then entered his private turbo lift to go to the bridge. Upon entering the bridge, Picard uttered, "Yellow Alert." Looking at Worf who activated the klaxons, Picard stated, "Q, he, in his own way, just informed me that the cylons are approaching."

Pausing to study the anomaly that was growing in size as they approached it, Picard muttered, "Merde." He then hit his comm badge. "I need all senior staff at my conference room in five minutes."



Conference Room

"I just spoke to Q or, more to the point, he spoke to me. I have reason to believe we will be visited by the cylons." Looking at his engineer. "Geordie, what is the probability if, when we get to the anomaly, we enter the rift without adjusting our shields or doing a level four check?"

La Forge, sat back adjusting his visor. "Sir, we would have 37 percent probability of succeeding without injecting our warp core when get to the other side. Assuming that we do not fry every system again when we exit the anomaly. That is if our shields hold up."

"Options?" He waited for his command staff to offer anything.

Data suggested, "Sir, since we do not know when they are coming and our sensors can detect further than their sensors can, I would advise us to proceed as we planned, until the last moment.

"Yes, but that would put the vipers at risk and also alert the cylons to our technology. I don't want Lieutenant Barclay being chased throughout this quadrant by these second rate Borg. And, we are assuming that all 25 vipers will survive a skirmish with the cylons to release the photon-torpedoes."

La Forge suggested, "Sir we could send Lt. Barclay in the Crochan now, and have one of the alternate pilots in the Checkvo. That would give each Battlestar one warp shuttle craft."

Picard listed and felted the click in his head, knowing that La Forge's suggestion was right, "Make it so, Lieutenant."

Getting up from his chair, Picard pulled his jacket down, "With Barclay out of the way, we proceed as planned, I want sensors at maximum." Looking at Worf. "You and Data will work out the minimum distance we can allow the cylons to approach us before we deploy the vipers, without alerting them to our present position to detonate the torpedoes. Until then, we stay at yellow alert."

Picard walked toward his ready room without another glance to his command staff. He failed to notice that Troi had waited until the staff had left to walk up to the door and chime it.

"Come," Picard looked up to see Troi walking into the room and taking seat in front of his desk.

"Counselor?" It was more of statement than a question. Picard waited for the counselor to state her business and be gone.

"I want to ask if you've talked with him? Starbuck is evasive when I ask if you've had your discussion with him."

Picard looked at the counselor. "I do not have the time to delve into personal concerns. Now, when we are through this current crisis, I will consider it, to satisfy your job. Now leave." Picard picked up a padd and started to read it. Not really paying attention to what was on the screen.

He waited until the counselor had left before putting the padd forcefully down. Getting up and walking to the dispenser, he thought of what he wanted. Realising that he wanted something a tad stronger, he walked over to the closed cabinet. Opening it, he appraised his private wine stock from his family vineyard. Smiling to himself, he came to the realization that no one, not even Guinan had ever tasted his family wine. He would have liked to speak to her now at this point. But, she was not here and the wine was. Grabbing a bottle randomly, he popped the cork, and walked over to the dispenser, "One wine glass, chilled empty." It materialized as Picard thought of his last encounter with his ex-lover.

He had stalked into the room and stood with his hands clenched as Picard put his beloved antique book down. "Why are you here?"

"It is over, I cannot do this anymore, Jean-Luc, and I am not going to be playing anymore of your sick games. Showing me fracking kindness and when you do play the man…you're a fraud Jean-Luc and I am fool for allowing it."

Picard studied the young man, he planned not seeing him until later in the day after the staff briefing. However, Picard surmised, it was not to be.

"I am not going to ask how the counseling sessions are going. However, Starbuck, you are right, for reasons I choose not go into. I want you safe, but I cannot give you what you want."

Starbuck relaxed his stand, "Nor can I give you what you want. I was there in that holodeck program. It thought I was you. It makes all the sense in the world now." Starbuck struggled with swinging emotions, walking away; he stopped in front of the window. With his back turned, "Why?"

Picard stood up and approached his lover. "I thought I could…I just thought. Starbuck, you must understand I am a Star Fleet officer; my duty is to my ship first. My needs are secondary and when I met you, I thought I could have it all."

Starbuck swung around to face Picard inches away from his face. "I wanted you…thinking you could show me another way. But, when I needed you....you were to scared to help. You are afraid of really letting go. Why is it at no time have I ever topped you Jean-Luc. Frack, even Apollo occasionally allows me to..heh..why?

Picard stood there hearing the words, feeling as if a veneer of his shell was being torn away from his soul. "My needs are my own Starbuck. I gave you want I thought you needed."

Starbuck stepped into Picard's personal space, "Did you ever ask what I really needed then....now? Not waiting for a reply, Starbuck continued, "No, you don't want me now because I know how weak you are. You are a façade, Jean-Luc. You want to be a man in bedroom and outside, but you are weak, you don't have the strength to give me what I need.

Starbuck noticed the dancing of emotions that played in Picard's face, thinking back to that night, he asked, "If I had asked you specifically instead of just taking the pain away, would have giving me what I needed?" Not waiting for a reply, "No you would teased me and tried everything but what you had to do. I need….want….pain Jean-Luc…every time I asked to up the stakes you clouded my mind…you're weak Jean-Luc…and I am not an average fuck. So, fuck your passions either be or not be..stop riding the line."

"Passions. Yes, my hidden passions." He sneered the last words without thought. So intent in studying Starbuck's eyes he did not see the hand come up. With a force of a phaser, Picard stumbled backwards and collapsed onto his knees.

Starbuck slapped him again on the other cheek; Picard just knelt, not fully appreciating the full eroticism of the events unfolding. Starbuck pulled him roughly and claimed his mouth in ownership, no kindness in the kiss. Picard did not struggle, letting him take control, savoring the wetness of the blood that flowed from his mouth to Starbuck's.

Forcing Picard to the wall, he quickly turned him round, ripping his loose pants from his waist. Picard fully turned on, shifted his legs, kicking his pants to the side.

"You want this?" He snarled, not bothering to wait, he shoved two fingers into Picard's ass. The sudden pain jolted right to Picard's cock, without thought Picard let out a hiss of pleasure.

Starbuck was enraged; he took Picard right there. No kindness, no love, no hope. He took him because it was the only way he could have him. Placing his face on Picard's neck, "I LOVED YOU." With each word his thrust went deeper, not bothering to notice the blood trickling down Picard's legs. "Kindness, Tenderness, all lies, Jean-Luc." Pausing to angle better and shoving Picard down, "When were you going to show me the real you?" Slapping the back of Jean-Luc's head. "Fracking Never!" He shouted as he orgasm into Picard's hot tight channel.

Stepping back, "I will not see you again. At least Apollo is honest. One word, Captain." He paused to button up his pants. "Honor to you is only one sided, to the job, to Starfleet, but to you and your lover, it is a joke. Don't ever talk about honesty again, at least not to me."

He walked out of the captain quarter's, back to his own cabin to take off the Starfleet uniform. Without a second thought, he threw the uniform into the refresher unit. Without taking a shower, he put back his real uniform on and went to the holodeck to fly away the pain and to kill some cylons.

Picard stayed at the window for what seemed like hours; slowly he bent down and wiped off his betrayal of his body's reaction of the most honest sex he had since his academy days. Honest sex with out control. He gingerly went to his shower and washed his body of his lover's scent. When he exited the shower, to go to bed, Starbuck was to him an ex-lover.

Picard was laying in bed, wondering if there was time to at least tell him he was sorry for his action. It had been years since he had allowed anyone to top him, male or female, but as violently tossed his aching bones into the frontal prone position, he realized that he could not let the situation occur again: knowing his life, career, his whole perception of himself was organized on the sole premise of being in control.

As he fell into a fitful sleep that night, his last thoughts that echoed in his head were not his but of Starbuck's, "Honor to you is only one sided, to the job, to Starfleet, but to you and your lover, it is a joke."

A whisper of a thought floated into consciousness as sleep over took him, "Time! Maybe there could be time...." Forcing his eyes opened for a split second before his mind fell into the void, he knew beyond any doubt there was no time and maybe, just maybe, he could admit that to himself, if he could see Starbuck again. This he thought as the events of the day over took him and he slept.

Picard pulled back from his thoughts as the wineglass overflowed and some of the liquid splashed on his hand, "Merde." He told the room. Placing the bottle down he sipped deeply from the glass taking another two glasses of wine before he felt sated.



Final Day in the Beta Quadrant

Picard was the picture of calm on the bridge. Riker stood next to Data at the helm, "Sir we have contact with the cylon's, they are coming from the second planet in this solar system. Also, our scanners have shown a Basestar too in front of spatial anomaly. Estimated time of arrival is five hours."

"Deploy the shuttle at the four hour mark." Hitting his ship wide comm link, "all hands prepare for battle." Tapping another comm link, "La Forge, I hope your numbers are off ; we are going in full impulse."

Tapping the link off. He turned towards Riker, "We are going to play an old earth game called chicken Riker, are you aware of this game."

Riker smiled, "Yes, and, I assume we will not blink first."

Picard smiled, "Yes."

Picard studied the screen for a moment. "Send the coded message to the Pegasus and Galactica, 'We are engaging cylons now." Send all additional communiqués with this message, Data."

Over the comm link, a voice floated over the bridge. "Sir, this is Starbuck, my men and I would like to see you before we depart. Can you come down to the shuttle bay before we go?"

As Picard sat in his chair, a wave of emotions steadily washed through his mind, clamping down on them, he hit his comm link. "No I cannot, but I want to see you in my ready room in five minutes." He slapped the comm link before Starbuck could reply.

Picard sat behind his desk, taking comfort in the formality of the meeting. The chime rang and Picard stated, "Enter."

Starbuck stood at the door in his warrior uniform and helmet held loosely at his side. Walking into the room he stopped in front of the desk. "Reporting as ordered, sir."

Staring at the man, Picard decided not to end his time with him with bad memories.

"Starbuck take a seat, please."

Starbuck took the seat directly in front of the captain. Picard spoke first.

"I want to say thank you and I don't want you to think I was avoiding you. I can face the Borg and go through time anomalies, but I find this harder to do." Pausing he got up and went to his cabinet and retrieved a rare bottle of his family's wine. "Here, I want too give this to you. Your concern for my character is noted, and I will try to be more honest with others and myself in the future. Please take this…it is the only thing I can give and I wish you luck and happiness, Starbuck."

Starbuck studied the man and took the bottle gently. He stood up and walked to the door, pausing before he let the door open; he turned round to see the captain standing in front of the desk.

"Sir, that is lie, you gave me more at one time than you thought you were capable of giving.

It was just not meant to be. Thank you, I will remember you."

As the man walked out of the office, Picard thought, "I will always remember you."



Two Hours Later

The bridge held the tension well. Picard sat at the center willing time to move forward, intuitively knowing that he was failing brilliantly. It was Date that notched up the tension.

"Sir, I have on scanners short range fighters moving fast coming up behind the asteroid belt behind the anomaly. It seems that there are two Basestars near the spatial rift sir."

"Explain, how we miss this?" Picard's voice calmly stated, however the irritation that lay behind the tone fooled no one.

"Sir, I believe the cylons were using the anomaly as a deflection shield sir. Traveling in tight space it is conceivable that when we scanned the area we read one not two."

It was Riker who stated the obvious, "I believe could is did Data. How long till they engage us?"

"One moment sir." Touching the keys at super human speed, Data swung round on his chair facing both Picard, and Riker who at this time stood up walking to the center of the bridge. "Sir, ETA is in one hour. It is not enough time to deploy the vipers and return the shuttles sir.

Picard felt a click in his head and turned to Worf; "I want a link open to all vipers and shuttles." Waiting a moment, Worf raised his eyes from his console and nodded to Picard.

"This is the captain, we have incoming fighters moving from behind the anomaly. I want shuttles to engage them. I want the vipers on La Forge's mark to exit the holding bays and prepare to dentate chargers on his command. Shuttle crafts you are to engage the cylons on Worf's mark. When the vipers have deployed the torpedoes, you are to exit the area post haste, and rendezvous with the Pegasus. Hitting the comm link off, Picard stated to Riker and the bridge crew,

"I am betting that they have no idea what this anomaly actually is. I want tight phaser directed in front of us. Lets' give the shuttles a hand in clearing the way. When we are in firing range of the Battlestar, I want all phasers direct at the ship. We will ignore the one behind the rift.

Riker upon hearing what Picard said, "They'll try to stop us with their fighters, when they realize we are headed right down their throats they'll move aside and that's when we go in. I hope they are as dumb as the viper pilots have told me, sir."

Picard nodded, "And since they value they Basestars above everything else, they will sacrifice their fighters." What Picard did not say was, "I hope," out loud.



In The Shuttle Bay

Starbuck sat in his viper hitting the comm link, "Okay warriors, I want it done just like the training. When we release the charges, we head straight for our rendezvous point."

The viper's pilots watched as the shuttles moved into position to engage the cylons. When the shuttle doors opened, Starbuck's jaw dropped when he saw the numbers of cylons fighters that were moving in front of the anomaly. Not the usual one or two cylon cluster groups, but multiply wings. "What the Frack! Viper pilots listen up, it's going to be crazy, remember your training. Newbies, by the numbers, no bagging Stars today, Giffion Got it?"

"Starbuck, I will have plenty of time to wear another star on my parade dress greys. Just watch your back okay?"

Before he could answer, Lt. La Forge singled the vipers to leave the shuttle bay. Each squadron left in predetermined order, Giffion and Starbuck were at point. As they entered the battle, Starbuck realized that the Enterprise was moving at maximum impulse towards the rift.

The shuttles were with their phasers, destroying the cylon's fighters. But the sheer number of fighters, the shuttles were taking a beating, twice Starbuck had to do some tight maneuvering to avoid shuttle debris.

Starbuck watched as one by one as the shuttles imploded in space, and they had roughly 15,000 kilometers to go before they could deploy the torpedoes. What worried Starbuck even more was that the Basestar that was in front of the anomaly was turning to bare its main guns on the Enterprise.



Inside the Enterprise

The Enterprise shields were taking a pounding. They were 15, 000 kilometers from the anomaly when, Worf announced to the bridge, "Sir, we've just lost our last shuttle and we have 13,500 kilometer to go before we can launch torpedoes." The ship shook again when Data called out.

"Sir, shields are at 89 percent at this rate we will be at 78.67 percent when we enter the rift. Which according to our probabilities studies, is under the fail safe limits for the ship."

Picard studied his console, "Mr. Worf, I want maximum rapid fire of our phasers directed in front of us. Mr. Data, can we use our main deflector as a pulsar?"

"Working...Yes, the design by Lt. Comdr. Shelby and La Forge was kept in our over haul, however, sir it is as you would say, 'a one shot deal' sir."

"What would be the yield potential of the pulsar?"

Data worked the console, as the ship shook again, violently, "Sir, it would yield about half the energy we need to close the rift."

Picard got up from his chair, as the bridge shook, most of the crew were thrown from their stations. Staggering to Data's position, "Open a link to La Forge and the vipers."

Data's, reply was the sound of the channel being opened, "This is the Captain, vipers I want four pilots to plow a wedge, get those fighters off my ship. I want the rest flanking, ready to deploy torpedoes. On Lt., La Forge's mark. Picard out. Data, co-ordinate with La Forge.

"Aye, sir, be advise the shield are now down to 86 percent."

Picard acknowledge the information with a question as the Enterprise shook again. "Distance to anomaly."

"Sir, we are 11,000 kilometers from optimum range from deployment."

Picard forced himself to sit, and watch the battle in front of him.



Outside the ship.

On the captain's order's Giffion, Starbuck, Jaxer, and Locus banked from the formation, tearing a wide hole into the cylon's fighters. The Enterprise's phasers directed their fire slightly beyond the engaging ships. However, each time they cleared a path more fighters from both ships swarmed into take their place. By the time the Enterprise was 9,000 kilometers from the anomaly, the Enterprise was covered with hundred of fighters. Two of the Enterprise's pilots that were in vipers bagged five Stars apiece before they were taken out.

By the time the Enterprise was 5,000 kilometers away, the Enterprise's phasers had hit major areas of the cylon's Basestar. It was apparent to all that the game of chicken would be counted in meters.



Inside The Enterprise

Picard sitting in his chair, as the Enterprise bucked from the last salvo of the fighters and the laser canon's of the Basestar, called, "Distance!"

It was Data who stated over the klaxon's alarms, "4,000 kilometers sir. Our shields are at 82 percent.

From his chair Picard, shouted, "I want audio on the vipers channels, now."

As the shipped rocked, inching closer, Picard made out some of the dialogue that was being spoken.

Starbuck, "Giffion, Jaxer take flanking points, lets make this wedge costly for these doggits!"

Picard and the crew watched in awe, the four Imperial Viper pilots killed more fighters than the five shuttle crafts combined. It was at the 2,000 mark that the cylon's basestar blinked and moved out of the way, leaving a large enough window for the Enterprise to enter the rift.

What Picard also noticed, was that as the second basestar moved in the opposite side of its sister's ship. Picard and the pilots realized that effectively they were caught in a classical anvil attack. There was no where for the pilots to go safely after deploying their charges.

Starbuck understanding this, shouted into is comm link, "Vipers, on La Forge's mark discharge your torpedoes. I want all vipers to go into tight controlled flight pattern. "Giffion, Jaxer, and Locus take points, remember control-synchronized fire for with all vipers. Punch a fracking hole down their throats, when you break free. Push your engines to max, Get ready.

As the bridge heard Starbuck's finale orders, the main deflector dish and the remaining viper's released their charges. Giffion, Jaxer, and Locus pulled out an away from the anomaly. Starbuck taking lead point had no where to go. Putting his thrusters in reverse, Starbuck took out five fighters before the anomaly started to close upon itself.

The Enterprise entered the rift 10 seconds after it started to close. Starbuck's viper literally was bouncing off the Enterprise's shields.

Starbuck had attempted to move back, up and round the ship, but the anomaly collapsed before he could complete the maneuver.

Inside Starbuck's viper all his system were frying, life support was on minimal, releasing all of his weapons charges in back of him, on to the shields, he prayed to the gods of Kobal that the bridge would understand what he was attempting.



Inside The Enterprise

Data watching his computer console and the screen simultaneously, understood what the pilot was attempting, bracing for impact, Data let the charges punch a hole into the shields, allowing the viper to fall on to upper saucer section. The shields realigned effectively permitting the force field to hold the viper, while the Enterprise tossed and tumbled in the anomalies' wake.



Somewhere in the Alpha Quadrant

Back up life support systems automatically went on line, as Lt. La Forge dumped the warp core to avoid a breech. As the ship pulled itsself together, it was Data who called for an emergency beam out for Starbuck.

Picard grabbed his armrest and pulled himself into his chair, looking around he noticed no one was seriously hurt.

"Damage report Number One."

Riker looked at his console, "We had to eject the core, but it seems stable, no reported serious injuries Sir."

Worf at tactical, "Sir, our shield's held at 79.8 percent, and there seems to be hull breech on deck 35, sections 91 J- 63 J- No fatalities, All those sections were cleared before we entered into the anomaly.

Data interjected, "Sir, you will find that hull breech was caused by Starbuck's viper. In the last seconds of the battle, Starbuck's viper had no room to escape. Realising that he was going to be pulled into the anomaly with us, he forced his viper to land on our shields, discharging his weapons. Thus, causing a temporary flux in our shields, allowing a hole to be made that permitted his viper to fall under our shields.

I initiated an emergency beam out when, life support came back on line, he is presently at sickbay.

It was Riker who hit the comm link, "Dr. Crusher, how is our pilot doing?"

"I'm okay, Sir. I gathered that you understood what I was attempting, and could you please tell Dr. Crusher, I am okay, nothing that a few days leave on a pleasure ship won't cure."

Picard at this point spoke up, "You've earn more than few days Lieutenant, I must admit, I am surprised you made it. May I ask how you figured out that getting under our shields would save your life."

"I didn't Sir, it was the only move I could do. When I realised what those fracking cylon's were attempting, I gave my orders. I thought I had enough time to pull out and away from your ship to lead point, but there were more fighters on your ship than doggits fighting over a dilithium crystal.... Er...they were given to doggits as treats, to gnaw at sir.

Riker and Picard both smiled at the image of dogs chewing on dilithium crystals as treats. Riker in a calm voice, "That was some incredible flying Lieutenant. Take the rest of the day off, and I want a full report on your perspective of the battle at the beginning of alpha shift.

"Sir, may I ask, how my ship is...I know it took a beating, but is it salvageable, Sir?"

"One minute, Lieutenant," looking at Worf for a response, it was several minutes before Riker answered. "According Lt., Worf, sensors indict that it is salvageable, it seems that the modifications Geordi and I made saved your life, Lieutenant."

There was a long pause before Starbuck answered, "Does this mean I have to let you win at your game of poker, Sir?"

Riker shook his head and swallowed a smile, "See you tomorrow at the briefing Lieutenant."



Five Days Later in the Alpha Quadrant

Picard sat at his desk inputting his personal logs.

"Our trip this time through the anomaly caused us to dump the warp core. My ship is awaiting the new refitted Bozeman and the Ircuses to meet with us to toe us back to star base 166, the anomaly sent us back into the alpha quadrant, however it sent us back on the clear other end of the alpha quadrant.

"Lieutenant Starbuck is adjusting well to the knowledge that he is stranded in the alpha quadrant. Since he never resigned his commission, Starfleet has accepted my recommendation that he is to be given a priority slot in the upcoming class at the academy that starts in three weeks. He is without a doubt an exceptional pilot, and officer. He will make a fine addition to any crew." Picard paused and smiled remembering the last conversation with Starbuck,

*************

"Huh, I get to keep my rank? What is the catch here?" Starbuck asked tentatively.

"None except that you agree to work with Counselor Troi and the Counselor at the academy to work on...you high thrust hold of.... pain and 'cowboy' tactics. Fleet technically still has you listed as the official liaison for you people, however it will be forty years at current technology before we can contact them."

"Yes, but you are forgetting that Lieutenant Barclay is on the Galactica, sir. And if there is a way to speed up the process it may be sooner then we think. And, you still have the cylons to contend with. When they hit this part of the galaxy." Starbuck thoughtfully responded.

"No, Starbuck, but having you here will give us an edge. And, who knows what new defenses our engineers will develop?'

Starbuck, still in his warrior uniform, fidgeted with his blaster. "Well, I will consider Jean-Luc, if you work on your issues of control...I know it is over between us, but I know that you will be never be happy with anyone as long as you stay wrapped tighter then Caspian lava worm. Believe me Jean-Luc, when they explode you don't want to be near them." Starbuck held the captain's gaze, carefully reaching to see if Picard would consider his words. He was quite pleased when a warm fuzzy glow seeped into conscious. Starbuck relaxed his stand further and allowed a small smile to enter onto his face.

"As one friend to another Starbuck, I promise I will give serious thought and action into my control and..... honesty problem...with my..." He let the thought drift, catching Starbuck's gazed. He smiled and both knew that their personal lives would be changed forever because of chance meeting in the Beta Quadrant.

"Well, I gotta go Sir, I need to show Comdr. Riker how pyramids is played. Smiling a mischievous grin, "He seems to think his luck will change for the better since, he sucks vapors playing his beloved poker with me."

"Understood." Was all Picard said.

As, Starbuck walked away; Picard stopped him. "Starbuck, our recovery team for your viper found this in the storage compartment. I believe this is yours."

Starbuck looked at the bottle and with a smile said, "No, Jean-Luc, I believe you can drink that with someone who could appreciate it and you." Picard nodded and placed the wine on the counter top.

Starbuck held the captain's stare; "Thank you...for saving my life." He turned and left before Picard could reply.

Gazing at he empty space, Picard thought, "Thank you for showing me how to live again Starbuck." With that he picked one of many reports that needed his attention.

Picard blinked his eyes and studied the screen, "Ah, yes, personal log." He thought.

"It will take us three weeks at high warp to get back to Pacifica from star base 166 for a total over haul. On a personal note, I wonder if Lieutenant Starbuck will find happiness. Because, though I gave him my word on a personal issue, I do not see anyway of keeping it."



Nine Weeks Later

Picard sat in a stateroom on Pacifica, waiting for the morning to take her out again, back to DS9 for a fast shake down cruise. This time, he waited for the engineers at Pacifica to give the ship it's blessing. The crew again was given extended time off, since they were effectively gone for a little over a year. Star Fleet being made aware of the new threat to class M planets, had decided to work on a way to develop communication with the Galactica, and sent a long- range ship to intercept her and the cylons. It was a refitted Voyager class space ship.

As he pulled the coverlet down to go to bed, he was about to call for lights out when Q flashed into the room under the bed covers. "Mon Capitane, going to read me a bed time story?"

Picard pulled back stepping away from the bed, "Q!"

"Yes, that is who I am." He smiled and gave a once over the captain's body.

"So, what did you learn in your little trip to the neither lands of this galaxy?"

Picard exhaled deeply and sat down, fully aware that Q was studying him intently. "I jumped through the hoops, Q, I jumped. How high is the next ring?"

"Is that all you've learnt? I am surprised, Johnny. Really, what did you learn?" The question was a statement. Picard could sense that Q would brook no half-truths and he had promised to be honest with himself on personal matters. If this were not a personal matter, what would constitute one in his life? At that moment he smiled. "Honesty, Q, Honesty…I learnt to be true to myself. Now, one question from me, did they make it safely back to their ship?"

Q seated himself upright, his mouth close to Picard's ear. "Yes." And, yes, to that particular threat from the cylons is no more thanks to Barclays' efforts." He said, as he pulled back from Picard's ear.

Picard turned his eyes to meet Q's; so, they succeeded?"

Leaning back into a bunch of pillows that appeared behind, "He saved the day, Johnny, and when he succeed, he thought of how proud you and your engineer would be of him."

Picard turned and placed his head down, covering it with both hands. "Q, why, why do this to me?"

"Well, do you care? I thought you only cared about your fish and this ship."

Picard stood abruptly up. "It's not that, damnit Q! I jump through hoops. My personal life is turned upside down….I meet someone in the beta quadrant….it was not enough, it never is enough because...I can't let go long enough to trust my feelings. Is that what I was suppose to learn?"

Q flashed in back of him. "So, you did learn something in that dreadful quadrant?"

"Communiqué flash Q, I already knew this about myself. I choose not to acknowledge this aspect of my life on a daily bases." Picard snapped.

Q flashed in back of him, grabbing his arms, "What did you learn?" He lightly whispered into Picard's ear.

Picard suddenly became aware of how close Q was next to him. Letting him stand so close, he felt for a brief moment safe. "I learnt, I want to be able to love without holding back Q, that is what the real lesson was? Right?"

"Well, yes and no Johnny. So, what else did you learn in the Beta Quadrant? This time Q's breath lightly tingled the nerves in his body, and Picard decided to be honest with himself again. Taking the biggest gamble of his life, he said, " As long as I am me, wearing this uniform, I can never let go enough to love anyone....maybe never."

Q breathe became intensively erotic near Jean-Luc ear. "You know what the humans say about, using the word 'never', Johnny. Smiling he flashed out of Picard's room.

Picard was left with a view of his ship, a candle in the dark lonely night, and just for a moment, he wonder if he could hope. Shaking his head Jean-Luc mumbled, "Merde" out loud before he went to his console to log in his meeting with Q.



The End
For Now.