Title: Hunting The Hunter

Author/pseudonym: Cappristar (Debs)

Fandom: Starsky and Hutch

Pairing: Starsky and Hutch

Rating: NC-17

Status: Complete

Archive: Yes please

Feedback: Yes

E-mail address for feedback: montedebs@aol.com

Series/Sequel:No

Disclaimers: Not claiming a thing. Just love to write about the characters

Notes: Again, a special thank you to Michelle for beta-reading for me. Love you.

Summary: A stranger has taken a deadly liking to Hutch.



Hunting the Hunter
By Cappristar


Hutch knew he was being followed, had known it for almost a week now. In the beginning he thought he was just being slightly paranoid, a little out of touch with himself not having his partner around. He smiled thinking of his lover as he exited the Ford, glancing around not seeing anyone, but the feeling that he was being watched persisted. Shrugging he bounded up the steps and slipped into his apartment. Sliding the bolt home he couldn't keep a small snort from escaping. "Some big brave cop you are." He muttered nevertheless quickly doing a search of his home, already knowing that it was
empty except for himself.

Starsky hated testifying in court, it was more having to wear a tie that ticked him off rather than being grilled by the defense. This time though it was neither that had him repeatedly glancing at his watch. His blond kept filling his thoughts as he tried to concentrate on the next question. His gut told him that his lover was in trouble, and being stuck in San Francisco was doing nothing to ease the need to get to his Blintz.

"No further questions."

"You may step down."

Finally! With a curt nod at the judge, Starsky tried not to bolt out of the courtroom as he made a beeline for the nearest pay phone, rooting through his tan slacks for change he finally gave up and just hit the zero.

Removing his jacket, Hutch sighed wearily, dreading another night alone. Sinking down on the couch he stared at the phone wondering how his fiery imp's day had been, and if he had finally been called to testify. He hadn't been on this case, another absence only this time it was he that had been away, well not away but out of commission. He had been regulated to desk duty after breaking his leg, during that time he could only watch the comings and goings of his lover and Sergeant Dickens, the man borrowed in from vice to replace him. He chuckled in remembrance of the wave of jealousy that engulfed him when Randy showed up. It had taken him some time before he allowed himself to not only call the man by his first name, but was even more surprised that he actually liked him. He was as tall as Hutch, but a little bulkier. Sandy, nondescript, hair was highlighted by stunningly bright green eyes.

Hutch smiled thinking how chagrined his partner was with him at the time. Admittedly he had turned sulky, snapping at the brunette for every perceived and invented occurrence he could think of. His mind drifted turning back in time to when his Starsky had gotten fed up and took the steps that finally rid him of the jealousy that was causing a rift between them.

Finally having enough, Starsky didn't care if he had to work around a cast or not, but he was determined to wipe any trace of jealousy from his partner's overwrought imagination. Not to mention that he had been deprived of sex himself over worry of adding further harm to his injured partner, he had deemed the time of abstinence now over.

Starsky was late pulling up to Venice Place. He and Dickens had spent a great majority of the last week or two chasing down a petty thief that was in the area, and wanted for murder in 'frisco. Finally nailing the slippery prick, they had no choice but to stay back and finish up the reports before finally being able to call it a day. Dobey barked at the pair to not show up until the day after next and to rest up.

Sitting in the car for a few minutes, his eyes drifted up to the window, thinking how he was going to handle his surly blond. Tired and cranky, he knew it wouldn't take much to set him off. Pulling the key out of the ignition he slowly pulled himself out of the Torino, a sly smile replacing the look of resignation as he mentally made plans for what was to take place in the next few minutes.

Hutch had spent the time between leaving the office and arriving home by continuously pacing. After receiving the call not to wait for his partner, he couldn't fight the knot of fear pulsating in his stomach. Cursing fate and his leg for not allowing him to be at his lover's back. His heart raced at the same time anger clouded his eyes, though he remained silent as Starsky calmly came in, turning to the side he reached up, his own eyes not leaving the blond as he slid the lock in place.

Hutch's ire was replaced by confusion as he watched his partner straighten and begin to strut towards him. "Starsk?"

"Shut up." Starsky took the crutches that were leaning against the table, tossing them towards the couch.

"What are you doing?!" The glare was back turning the eyes into sharp crystals.

"I said shut up." The low voice not concealing a threatening growl. Grabbing the nearest wrist he began to not very gently pull his lover towards the bedroom, forcing the blond to hop.

Starsky didn't bother taking the time to undo the buttons, placing his hands at the V he grasped the cloth and with a violent tug ripped it down the center. "Uh uh.." Reaching up he gently thumbed the full lips. "I don't want ya sayin' anything..not a word unless it's ta scream my name. Got it?"

Hutch nodded slightly, excitement building. He had never seen this side of Starsky before and was astounded by his cocks' instant reaction to it. Biting his tongue he watched as his track pants and underwear were quickly pooled around his ankles. He couldn't stop the slight squeal as he was roughly pushed down to land on his back across the bed.

Heated blue eyes raked over the long naked form beneath him. Hurriedly he removed his own clothing, pausing briefly to toss aside the bunched cloth that had snagged on his lovers' foot. "It's been way to long blondie."

Another nod. Desire causing Hutch to squirm, his erection twitching on his belly. He thought he was going to explode as the hairy chest sprawled out over his smooth one, his mouth devoured at the same time a moist organ slid in to dance with his own. Hoping that noises other than words were allowed, realizing that he had no control over it anyway, he unleashed a lustful groan through the meshed lips.

Coming up for air, breathing heavily, Starsky pulled himself forward gasping as his cock ran up along the silky hardness of his lover. A few frantic seconds were spent rummaging through the drawer in the nightstand before, with a hiss, he came back to rest on his partner's thighs, straddling the blond. The upper edge of the cast digging unnoticed into his rump. With shaky hands he managed to get the lid off the lube and wasted no time in coating himself, after which he reached under assaulting his love's center.

Pre-cum was leaking, forming a small puddle on the blond's belly as his head thrashed back and forth, the need nearly driving him blind. He could feel the pressure leave his thighs, though he was relishing the thrusting of his lover's slender fingers as they caressed deeply inside of him. He slitted his eyes open as his plaster covered leg was brought up to a broad shoulder, followed quickly by the bare one as it was placed opposite.

So intent on the now and his deep craving to plunge his manhood into the coveted portal, it would be some time before Starsky would become aware of the chafing the cast was causing to his shoulder. Tiny droplets of blood were already sprinkling the white encasing. Aligning his cock at the entrance he hesitated for a second bringing his eyes up to meet with the paler one's of his lover. Then with a sudden push he was in, a few more and he was all the way home.

Hutch had resumed tossing his head as his prostate was repeatedly stroked, creating bolts of electricity that flew through him. Small shortages in his brain causing a fireworks display to play behind his tightly clenched lids. It wasn't long until he felt the increase of size inside of him and knew that if they didn't explode at the same time that it would be incredibly close, his own scrotum having tightened he indeed screamed his lover's name as he erupted.

Gasping for air, Starsky slowly shook the weighted leg off, then pushed the other way. Crawling to the side he plopped down bringing an exhausted hand up to gently pat his blond's face. "I needed that."

"Apparently so did I." Hutch though breathing heavily turned his head to the side with a satisfied smile, concern quickly replacing the afterglow. "You're bleeding Gordo!"

Following Hutch's eyes he glanced at the scrapes on his shoulder. "Yep. Doubt I'll be needin' a transfusion though babe."

Struggling to his feet, the cast causing him to wobble more than he would had he not had one. "Still we better get something on it."

"Yeah, yeah..infection." Starsky smiled, love lighting his eyes as the blond hobbled from the room. With a sigh he pushed himself up deciding that the least he could do was go sit on the toilet like a good little patient.

The jangling of the phone brought a sudden end to the pleasant reliving of the memory. Snatching it up he said nothing.

"Hutch?"

"Yeah hon, it's me." Hutch wallowed in the warmth the cherished voice coming through the line bathed him with.

"Everything alright?" Starsky turned from side to side watching the wide corridor and the crowds of people in it with the suspicion only a crook or an experienced cop would have.

"Of course. I miss you like crazy though." Hutch smiled into the phone, wanting very much to be able to touch his lover.

"Me too." Starsky bit his lip. "You sure though. I mean if there's anything.."

"I'm fine Gordo...honest." Hutch also chewed on a lip wondering if he should mention that he thought someone was tracing his every move.

"You're lyin'." Came the frustrated response.

"Well it's just..well..I think.. no I.."

"For crissake Hutch spit it out!"

"I think someone has been following me." Hutch drew in a deep breath. Realizing for the first time how much this invisible person was plaguing his mind.

"I finished my testimony just a few minutes ago. It may take another day or two to see if I'm needed for more, but I don't think so. Just stay locked inside...have ya told Dobey?" Starsky began chewing on a nail cursing his luck for being so far away.

"No. Come on Starsk he'd think I was certifiable, it's not like I have any proof..it's just a feeling." Hutch lilted his voice, hearing the fear in his partner's, trying to take it away.

"I'd take your gut feelin' over anyone's proof any day a the week, and so would he." Starsky knew his Hutch was trying to ease his worry, but nothing could hide the underlying fear he detected in the easy banter.

"I probably just have the jitters from you being away. I'm not used to not having you around. You've grown on me in a big way." Hutch smiled also knowing he wasn't fooling his curly headed bundle of smarts.

"I mean it babe. Stay safe. I'll be home as soon as I possibly can." A finger plugged into one ear, he knew that court had adjourned for the day with the influx of people swamping the corridor, and was finding it difficult to hear the beautiful voice of his equally stunning lover.

"My hero." Hutch smiled, knowing he would feel the same had their roles been reversed. He wished he hadn't mentioned it until his lover returned, only too aware that Starsky wasn't likely to sleep much tonight. "I'll be fine hon, I'm over six foot and have a gun remember?"

"That doesn't matter if 'm not there too." Starsky also grinned. Noticing Randy in the horde exiting the courtroom he waved to show where he was. "I gotta go soon hon, we're gettin' a ride back to the hotel with one of the lawyers."

"Okay Starsk. And for God's sake don't worry about me. I'll be fine." Hutch still felt a twang of envy knowing his life was going to spend the evening with Randy. The jealousy though was caused more because he couldn't be there than over the man himself.

"I'll worry anyway." Starsky nodded as Randy indicated that their ride was ready to leave. "An' I'll be callin' again in a coupla hours."

"Yes mom." Hutch held the phone for a few minutes after hearing the line go dead, not ready yet to admit the connection was finished. Rising he replaced the receiver and strolled over to the window.

He quickly turned, pressing himself up against the wall before cautiously moving the edge of the curtain aside and peering out between the crack. His other hand automatically coming up to lightly rub the bare chest where the top two buttons had been left undone. Sure enough there was the beak of a baseball cap jutting out from the shadows of a small alcove down the street. Holding his breath he watched as an undermined object was raised, the bright flash of a bulb causing him to wince as the camera snapped three more
pictures directly aimed at his apartment.

Part 2

Strapping his holster back on, then shrugging into his jacket, Hutch quickly headed out through the greenhouse and down the back steps. Hoping to make his way down the block, cut across and slink up the opposite side of the street. Moving as quickly as possible he ran up the back street watching his mark carefully when he got to the end before crossing. From this angle he could no longer see the alcove that the cameraman had unsuccessfully hidden in, but thinking that if he couldn't see the man, then the man could also not see him, as he darted across the street and onto the opposite sidewalk. He tried to maintain a calm demeanor as he walked swiftly up the street standing still for a moment just before reaching the recess, he drew his weapon. Swiveling around in mid leap so he would be facing his unwanted tail he was disappointed to find the nook empty. Swearing softly under his breath he turned, his eyes rapidly taking in every movement, human made or otherwise on his block, shouldering his weapon he cut his way through the traffic and headed back up to the relative safety of his apartment once again.

Sitting in the bar of the hotel, both Starsky and Dickens opting for a couple of drinks before going into the hotel restaurant for dinner, Randy couldn't help notice that his former partner was distracted. "I think a conviction is the only way this trial is going to end."

"Yeah. Looks that way so far." Starsky rocked his drink back and forth seemingly mesmerized by the ice as it clinked the glass from side to side.

"Everything okay?" They hadn't worked together for long, but Randy felt he knew when something was bothering the brunette, strongly suspecting that it had something to do with the blond half of the infamous partnership.

"Hutch thinks someone's been watchin' him." Starsky volunteered, knowing in the short time he had been paired with the emerald eyed man that he could be trusted.

"That's not good." Randy wasn't sure how to respond or even exactly what was meant by being watched.

"Even worse with me bein' here and not there." Starsky muttered.

Randy took a sip of his vodka. "I can't imagine anyone being more capable of taking care of themselves than Ken."

Starsky glared across the table. "That's hardly the point."

"Sorry." Dickens laughed nervously raising his hands in surrender, he knew all too well how close the detectives were, being paired with the temperamental man across from him. All he ever talked about was the fair haired one he seemed to hate being away from for more than a few minutes. Not to mention the hateful glances and holes bored into his back whenever they were in the presence of the blond. Although he often wondered at the strange tightness of the bond the duo shared he couldn't help think that not a better team had ever been formed in the entire force. A classic case of, if ever there was one, if it ain't broke don't fix it. "Look I know that you'd feel a
whole lot better if you were there, but don't you think that if he thought he was really in danger that he'd let the Captain know?"

"I'm the one that should apologize." Starsky took a healthy swig of his drink then cocked a rueful grin. "I told 'im to tell Dobey, but this is Hutch we're talkin' about here. He's as bullheaded as they come."

Randy laughed outright, almost having his last swallow go up his nose. "I think you would both run head to head in that race."

"Possibly. I still think he'd win though." Starsky chuckled. With a quick look at his watch he pushed back the chair, pulling out his wallet as he stood, and tossed a few bills on the table. "I think I'll call room service tonight Randy, and try callin' Hutch again afterwards, my hearts not really inta being sociable tonight, sorry."

"You're really worried, aren't you?" The other detective wondered what it would be like to have a partner that cared so much for you, envy creeping into his mind hoping at the same time he would one day have a partner or even meet a woman he felt as strongly about.

"Let's just say that there have been many times when it's been more than justified." With a final wave Starsky left the bar, making his way, with the world on his shoulders, back to his room.

Hutch double checked all the locks and windows before deciding on a much needed shower and allowing himself to begin to think about who it was he had almost seen, and more importantly what it was they wanted and why they were taking photos of his apartment.

The hot water had gone above and beyond the call to cleanse his body by also wiping away the tension the near encounter had created. Thoroughly relaxed now, although incredibly lonely and bored, he settled on the sofa to watch the news, secretly hoping the local network would show a segment of the trial that his partner was forced out of town to attend. Keeping his fingers crossed that he would also catch a brief glimpse of his much missed and yearned for lover. "Jesus Christ! He's been gone less than a week." He laughed softly, shaking his head, nonetheless knowing that he was also waiting anxiously for the promised call.

Starsky retrieved a beer out of the small bar fridge in his room. Setting it on the nightstand, he fluffed the two pillows and propped himself up against them, legs crossed at the ankles and vacantly scanned through the hotel menu. The watch face on his wrist drawing more attention than the wide variety of items he could in fact order at the departments expense. His eyes shone with adoration as his mind filled with the image of his treasure. Knowing he wouldn't be able to eat until he again heard his Blintz's cherished voice he tossed the menu aside, reached again towards the nightstand, drawing the phone onto his lap.

Later that night Hutch lay in the dark nearing sleep, thinking about if he had been right in not informing his partner of his near brush with the man that appeared to be following him.

'Probably not. But why make him worry more, there isn't a damn thing he could do even if he wanted to. Besides I'm more than capable of handling myself I certainly don't need anyone to hold my hand. This guy is probably just a fruitcake maybe even IA...My God!!! Could Internal Affairs be running another check on us!?'

Springing to a sitting position he ran a hand through the already mussed gold, racking his brain to try and remember if they had come snooping around asking them seemingly innocent, though if looking closer prying, questions at the office. "You're being paranoid again Hutchinson." He lay back down, knowing that their Captain would have warned them of any such thing. "He could be a reporter." He continued to muse only this time out loud. "You know I bet that's what he is...must be. Probably couldn't get permission from the department or his own paper to follow an undercover officer around." Appeased he smiled and closed his eyes, sleep taking him down into it's own dark comfort.

Starsky lay awake for awhile later that evening also. He was wondering what it was now that his blond had been not telling him. He could tell by the tone though that his Hutch was in no way going to say anything other than that all was well no matter how hard he pushed. He had earlier caught his lover in what he knew to be a weak moment and that the barriers had been erected over the course of the hours following the first call. Fear and loneliness led him to be in the double bed before 9 pm. His only relief was the news he received just over an hour before that he would no longer be needed on the stand. His flight was already booked for home the following morning, not wasting anytime he had everything packed except his shaving kit and the clothes he would be wearing the next day, deciding that he would sleep in the buff even if he didn't have his favorite, not so soft, teddy to cuddle up against.

The two partners rose at the same time even with the many miles between them. Both showering and shaving to the same beat with complete knowledge of the other being beside them though unaware. The pair smiled fully aware of the empty presence of the other but feeling the soft caress of each one another nonetheless.

Hutch emerged from his building feeling like a million, his partner many miles away happily emerged, baggage in hand, from the hotel to await his ride to the airport. The blond approached the Ford just as the brunette pulled open the door to the back of the taxi. With a brief glance around Hutch, too late, noticed a rifle aimed at him from the roof of his own apartment. A single shot rang out. Many miles away Starsky stumbled and fell into the cab waiting to take start him on his journey back home.

A nearby woman screamed. Her poodle yipping incessantly as blood pooled over the sidewalk before them, and began to drip onto the street. A store owner, with fearless confidence, whipped her and the pup out of the way and into his own small establishment, hastily calling the police, declaring that one of their own had been gunned down.

"GO!" Starsky yelled from the back of the taxi, pulling the door firmly shut. He knew that he was too late to stop anything from happening to his lover, but also was well aware that he needed to get there before anything else followed. "Airport, just drive!"

Hutch moaned reaching out he lightly touched the wheel of his car, "Starsky." The sounds of an ambulance approaching the last thing he heard before losing consciousness.

Dobey had been in the office and heard the call come in requesting backup and officer down at the address of one of his two beloved detectives. Not waiting for further reports he hurriedly, faster than a man of his size should be capable of moving, hustled down to his own vehicle and sped away toward the site.

"How is he?" Dobey was barely out of the car when he barked the question, rushing to the side of the gurney carrying the fairest of his favorite duo. Gently pressing a meaty hand to the side of the concrete marred face he glared into the eyes of a paramedic. "How is he!!!?

"He's lost a lot of blood, but we think he'll live." Came the terse reply just before Hutch was loaded into the back of the ambulance.

An unseasoned young rookie nervously stepped up to the large captain. "Wo..woman in..in there says that the shot..the shot came from the..came from the roof."

As more police cars came swarming onto the street, Dobey took over the investigation, even with fear for wounded man and the partner on the way clouding his vision, he managed to organize a search and swarm operation over the entire area.

Starsky held his side as he boarded the ready aircraft. He only wished that he could move the passengers before him either out of the way entirely or at least hurry them along. Stomach heaving he could only hope that whatever had happened his Hutch would wait for him before deciding to check out. "You're okay, 'm okay..come on babe we can do this.." Alternately holding his breath and gasping for air the darker of the pair chanted while the crew went through their pre-flight checks. "Hang on babe." He uttered just as the pilot announced that it was time to do up their belts.

Part 3

Starsky was not in the least bit surprised to see Captain Dobey waiting anxiously for him as he stepped through the gate and into the terminal. "How is he?" Concern and terror lined his sculpted features unbecomingly.

"He's in surgery right now." Came the sullen though abrupt response. Dobey, nonetheless, grasped his officer by the arm and led him through the crowd. "Huggy is there now, I thought it best if I pick you up."

"You didn't answer the question." Starsky tried to remain calm as his body began to shake, the sight of his Captain confirming that his premonition had been a reality.

"I don't know..." The Captain sighed heavily. "the blood loss was massive, but I have no idea what other damage the shot caused."

On the way to the car, Dobey let Starsky know exactly what had happened to his partner and where. Bristling, the brunette filled their superior in on all of Hutch's concerns about feeling like he was being stalked. Starsky alone dealt with the rage Dobey unleashed on him. Not that he was really paying attention, his mind fixated on what was happening at the hospital, he was only aware of the lecture having something to do with 'private parties' and other such well used terms thrown at the pair in the past.

Looking more than a little haggard, not used to being up this early in the morning, Huggy paced the near empty waiting room. Trying to keep his mind from the state his fair haired friend was in a short distance away, he marveled at how few people required emergency care first thing in the morning, preferring to have their injuries sustained later in the day or in the darkness of night. He couldn't stop the utter look of delight that crossed his face as Dobey and Starsky came into the room, realizing how much he was dreading having to hear the doctor's diagnosis alone.

"Anything Hug?" Starsky asked just as Dobey was about to.

"Not as yet Starsk. How you doin' man?" Huggy clutched the arms of his dear friend.

"Hangin' on. Have you seen 'im?"

"Only briefly, as he was wheeled in." Huggy nodded, Dobey had called him while Hutch was being loaded into the ambulance and managed to race to the hospital just as it arrived carrying it's precious cargo. "I have to say that for already being an extreme white man he's managed to add whole new meaning to the word pale."

"I didn't need ta hear that Hug." Starsky pulled away, running a shaky hand over his face.

"Humbly sorry." The Bear backed away, ashamed at causing more distress than there was already, and quite obviously gnawing away at the tense form before him.

The hours ticked by with almost unbearable sluggishness before a tall physician wearing a red stained white smock approached from the trauma unit. All three of the waiting men sprung to their feet as the graying, almost fatherly looking figure drew up, reaching a hand out to greet the three in turn. After hasty introductions were made the doctor, whose name was Peterson, got down to what the three others were dying and at the same time dreading to hear. "He suffered an entrance wound and an exit, also the wing of the ileum was incised by the ball. When he arrived here he was considerably shocked, but not profoundly so. His pulse was accelerated, but not irregular, and was quite perceptible. We decided he was strong enough to operate on immediately, and had him on the table right away. After we had taken the intestines out we discovered three wounds in the small intestine, two of these being within 3 or 4 inches of the point of entrance. He also required quite a few pints of new blood."

Starsky blanched squeezing his eyes shut for a moment as an unwanted picture of his love with his guts laid out over his belly raced it's way across his mind. At the doctor's pause he managed to grit out, "He is goin' ta be alright?"

"He's definitely going to be here for quite awhile, but I anticipate he'll make a full recovery." The man smiled warmly at the worried detective.

"How long is quite awhile?" Dobey spoke up, Huggy too had gone from dark brown to a deep shade of beige.

"A month at least, quite possibly longer."

"When can I see him?" Starsky didn't give a damn about the paperwork Dobey would have to start up, only wanting..needing to get to his other half's side. The news that his love had once again cheated death brought the color back to his face, calming him down considerably.

"We are just waiting for him to come up from the anesthesia." Again the doctor smiled down at the now bouncing officer. "He'll be out of it for quite some time though, his body's been through an awful lot. It was the blood loss though which had almost killed him more so than the actual injuries. As a precaution we'll be placing him on the intensive care ward for a day or two so visits will remain brief until he is moved off the floor."

"Ya didn't answer the question doc." Starsky scowled repeatedly glancing at the doors behind which he knew his Hutch was somewhere hidden behind.

"Impatient sort aren't you?" Peterson chuckled. "In about an hour, then you can quickly go in and see him. I can't tell you how lucky he was, he definitely had someone watching over him."

"An' now he's got someone else." Starsky muttered unheard by the others. "The one it should be."

After the doctor left, Dobey checked his watch and announced he was going back to the station and that he would be back at the end of the day. He gave quick instructions for Starsky to call him if there was any further news, good or bad. A quick glance at the Bear, his eyes asking, and receiving and equally silent confirmation, if he would be willing and able to stay with his predictably unpredictable detective.

"How 'bout we go grab something to eat Starsk?" Huggy knew that if he was relieved at hearing the good news, the partner had to be on cloud nine. "It'll help pass the time."

"Yeah." For the first time that day Starsky actually smiled, though it quickly turned evil. "I'd like ya to try and put some feelers out there on findin' out who did this ta my Hutch. I want him Hug. I want him in a bad way."

Huggy almost pitied the culprit. "Will do bro'."

Over a few semi-stale sandwiches shared in the cafeteria, Starsky filled the Bear in on Hutch's feeling of being watched during the last week. "I don't know what it was..only that somethin' happened he wasn't tellin' me about last night."

"Think maybe he spotted the dude?" With a grimace, Huggy swallowed a tasteless bite.

"Could be." Starsky shrugged one shoulder. "An' knowin' Hutch, he probably went after him."

"Why Hutch?" Huggy mused more to himself than really seeking an answer.

Starsky shook his head, throwing down the remains of his half-eaten sandwich. "These are terrible." Looking around the half-filled room , chewing on his bottom lip as he again consulted his watch. "Well that killed 20 minutes."

"How about after you see our angel that can't be felled, I drive us back to your place and you can at least unpack, eat and rest up. He's gonna need ya Starsky." Huggy took in the dark circles under the bloodshot eyes. "If he sees you in this kind of state you're likely to scare him half to death..and that brother is about where he's already at."

Starsky glared across the table, before realizing that Huggy was probably right. "Yeah." He finally managed with a small grin. "Think they have him set up yet?" Again glancing at his wrist.

"Doubt it." Huggy grinned back. "But we can head up there if you'd like."

It was a further 25 minutes than the doctor predicted before Starsky was finally allowed into the room. Rolling on the balls of his feet trying to be as quiet as possible, Starsky slowly approached the bed that contained his inert blond. "Hi babe." He softly whispered as he picked up a blessedly warm hand, not caring that a nurse was watching him as he brought it up, gently pressing his lips into the palm. Tears welled in his eyes as he took in the gaunt features of his lover, the blood loss seeming to have shrunken the skin over the handsome features. "I'm gonna get 'im babe..I guarantee ya."

Not being permitted to stay more than five minutes, Starsky reluctantly left after placing a kiss over each of his lover's eyes. Finding it difficult to actually exit the room, he was eventually pulled all the way out by his svelte friend.

After the black and white dropped them off at Venice Place, Huggy stayed just long enough to make sure that he was no longer needed before calling himself a cab. Assuring Starsky that he would start making phone calls as soon as he got back to the Pits. "Gotta say though, Starsky, if it was on the streets that somethin' was about to go down concerning Mr. Universe, I would most likely have heard about it before the fact."

"I hear ya Hug." Starsky sighed looking around after an appreciative smile aimed towards his friend. "Still. Let me know if anything does come up..no matter how insignificant it may be. Fact or rumor Hug, I'll check out anything ya can get."

"After me, you'll be the first to know." Huggy slipped out the door, gently closing it behind, after hearing a horn bark from the street below.

Slowly moving into the kitchen Starsky pulled a beer from the fridge before noticing the clock on the stove stating that it was only late afternoon. Feeling like he had just been through one of the longest days of his life he picked up the phone and called his captain. After a brief report he downed the beer in one long pull and began to strip down, deciding that a shower would help perk him up enough to try and come up with an idea of who it was that hated enough to want to murder his partner.

Feeling the pull of the bedroom shortly after emerging from the bathroom, he wrapped himself around his blond's pillow, giving into the hot tears of grief and relief that he hadn't been aware were lurking just below the surface waiting for fatigue to break down the dam.

Back at the hospital an ordinary looking civilian slipped into an empty treatment room. An orderly stepped in just long enough to be rendered unconscious, his uniform removed, and left to remain undiscovered for well over an hour. With shift changes going on throughout the building nobody took note of the stranger, wearing the standard white garb, confidently waiting for the elevator which would carry him to the intensive care unit.

Part 4

Alarmed at hearing the news that Hutch had felt that he had been being followed ate away at Dobey for the rest of the day. Finally giving into a hunch of his own he ordered not only a guard to be posted outside of the blond's room, but also for another to remain inside as well. Realizing he had neglected to inform his other favored detective, and wanting to ease the smaller man's mind, he was just reaching for the phone to call when, seemingly being on the same wave length, it began ringing. After abruptly hanging up he did call Starsky, only not with the information he had originally planned to pass on, demanding instead that they meet back at the hospital, stating curtly that another attack appeared to have happened, only this one had been thwarted.

Though rudely awakened, Starsky was out the door in a matter of minutes. Not even pausing to relish the feel of once again being behind the wheel of his beloved Torino, thoughts only on his even more cherished lover as he slammed it into gear, violently slamming his foot onto the gas pedal he squealed away.

Completely unaware of the ruckus going on in the hall mere feet from where he lay, Hutch smiled in his sleep, subconsciously feeling the presence of his lover drawing nearer.

Starsky and Dobey arrived simultaneously, the pair meeting up at the emergency entrance and hastily making their way through the masses towards the elevator. "Thanks for puttin' a couple of boys on watch. I never even thought ta ask you for them." Deeply ashamed, Starsky couldn't believe he could be so careless as to leave his life so open, especially in the wake of the horrid events of the morning.

"Stop kicking yourself Starsky." Dobey barked. "Watching your partner's back is up to you, but taking care of my men is entirely my responsibility."

"Still.."

"Enough!" Hating being scared, the captain knew he was unleashing his emotions on the man beside him. Drawing a deep breath he continued in a calmer tone. "He's fine, the guy didn't even make it all the way down the hall before a nurse stated she had never seen him before."

"Luck. It's still a little to close for comfort." Starsky closed his eyes, still chastising himself for, once again not being there. "Description?"

"We'll see." Dobey preceded his man off the elevator and into the hub of activity on the floor.

Starsky left his superior to gather information, hurrying to check on his lover before gleaning what he could from the officer outside of the room, and anyone else that had witnessed the suspected culprit. Seeing the smile on his unconscious blond's face, he couldn't help grin himself as he smoothed a few wayward strands off the broad forehead. "You can stop tryin' ta scare me to death anytime now babe." He whispered, nuzzling his nose under a warm though too pale ear. "My heart can't take much more."

As big as he was, Dobey managed to slip through the door unnoticed. Watching silently for a few moments he couldn't help it, the bond his much loved men shared never ceasing to amaze him. "Nothing Starsky." He finally stated, the curly head slowly coming up to focus on him. "Vague descriptions at best, he ran as soon as he seen the guard and the nurse pointing him out."

"Damn." Starsky spit, tightly clutching his lover's hand to his chest.

"Where's Jenkins?" Dobey looked around the small room, for the first time noticing that the other uniform wasn't at his post.

"Not a clue." Now that he was here, Starsky didn't feel the need for anyone else watching over his Hutch.

"Dammit! I told them not to leave unless a replacement had come. I'll be back." Dobey barked before heading off in search to find out.

As it turned out it was officer Bob Jenkins that took off after the man. Hearing a commotion in the hallway he opened the door just in time to catch the back of the white uniform make it to the stairwell and disappear through the door. Being senior officer by a year he quickly yelled for the other cop to stay where he was, already racing after the fleeing suspect. Returning after being unsuccessful in his pursuit he did manage to pass on to an irate Dobey that it had been a pale blue Grand Prix that had barreled out of the parking lot. Only managing to get a partial plate number, his superior was appeased nonetheless by gaining a little more information on who they were looking for.

Starsky scowled as the young man returned to the room, followed by the Captain. Seeing the officer as an intrusion more than protection. Sitting back he loosened his grip on the large hand, his head snapped back around, eyes fastened to the blond's face as it dawned on him that it was not he that had been holding the hand so tightly, but that it was his lover that had his in a firm clasp. "Hutch?" He asked softly. After a few minutes he knew that Hutch was still out, but couldn't keep his heart from swelling with the knowledge that even though not responsive of his surroundings his life seemed to be aware of him.

Dobey had moved closer, his own eyes glued to his downed officer. He held his breath waiting to see if Hutch would indeed answer. After Starsky sat back a little he finally passed on what the now quietly seated uniform had seen, having written the beginning of the license number on a small piece of paper he now carried in his pocket. "I'll start trying to run a check on it first thing in the morning."

"Tell me what it is and I'll start runnin' a check on it first thing tonight." Starsky's eyes blazed more brilliantly than the setting of the sun through the window.

"You and I both know that you won't be going anywhere tonight Starsky." Dobey frowned back. "Not to mention that we aren't likely to find any less than a thousand plate numbers with only these to go on."

"Then a thousand I'll check." Starsky didn't blink, cobalt continuing to bore into his superior.

"Tomorrow." Dobey's tone effectively ended the argument. "You're exhausted, and need to rest. For his sake," A meaty finger pointed first at Starsky and then towards Hutch. "as well as your own. Now I am going to see about having a cot or another bed brought in here for you, and fully expect you to use it, then I'm going to call Huggy and see if he can manage to pick you up a change of clothes and get them here."

Relaxing, Starsky sat back with a crooked grin. "Yes sir!" He snapped a hand up in a sharp salute.

Dobey just glared at him before leaving again in search of something for his mouthy detective to sleep on.

"When he goes you will be too." For the first time Starsky fully brought his attention to the young man.

"I have to stay in position sir." Jenkins gulped. He had spent the better part of his shift so far gawking in wonder at the partner in the bed. The pair being his heroes and his reason for wanting to be a cop in the first place, but he was woefully unprepared for the impact of one of them being not only aware but right in his face had on him.

"Your position has just been changed ta bein' on the other side of that door." Starsky knew he was intimidating the young man, but was too tired and wound up with stress to really care. "You got it?"

"Yes sir." He fought the urge to squirm, relief blanketing his face as a couple of members of the staff made their way in pushing and pulling another bed.

"Easy Starsk." The curl covered head again whirled around, barely being able to hear the scratchy though soft voice coming from his blond. "He's just a kid."

"Shhh. Shhh babe." Starsky gently stroked the side of his lover's head. "No talkin' Blintz, you should be resting." Before the words left his lips he knew that Hutch had indeed drifted away back into slumber. "Always lookin' out for the little guy aren't ya blondie?" He sat back down completing ignoring the set up of his own bed, Jenkins also forgotten as he gazed lovingly at his own reason for breathing.

Peterson showed up just as the bed was being made up, infuriated at having his intensive care unit turned into a YMCA. "You are not permitted to stay in here. He's only allowed to have extremely short, quiet visits, and as few of them as possible for the next day or so."

"Can it doc." Starsky's glare silenced the still trembling physician. "It'll only be me in a few minutes..an' I'm not goin' anywhere."

"I can't allow it." After a couple of deep breaths he managed to calm himself. "I understand that there was an intruder on the floor."

"Yep. And if ya wanna hear all about it 'im sure Dobey would be happy to fill you in. Hutch here woke up, and I really want some quiet in here so it doesn't happen again until it's supposed to."

"He woke?"

"That's what I said." Starsky remained tense and ready for battle, fully prepared to fight anyone to the death if they tried to remove him from the room.

"I'll go speak to your captain." Instead he approached his patient, checking the instruments and IV with a frown before actually leaving.

"You do that." With a curt nod at the uniform, the young man also bid a hasty retreat to the relative safety of the corridor.

Starsky was permitted to stay.

Part 5

It was exactly 40 days after being admitted that Hutch was given the green light to go home. Starsky fluttered around him, getting his hands slapped numerous times as he tried to help his blond dress.

"For crissake Starsky! I've had enough of being an invalid can't you go pack my bag or something?"

"I already did that. Put it in the car too." Starsky stepped back a little, managing to bounce while remaining still, a happy grin obliterating the lower half of his face. "Ya need ta pack on a few pounds Blintz."

"I know." Hutch agreed standing with a wince leaving his shirt untucked since Starsky had deemed track pants to be easier on the still tender abdomen than regular slacks or jeans.

"Still sore?" Starsky immediately re-invaded his lover's space, concern wiping away the smile, reaching out to offer support.

"I'm fine Gordo." Hutch smiled warmly leaning forward to capture the frowning mouth in a quick kiss. "It'll still be awhile before I'm back up to par, but we'll get there."

"You bet we will." The grin was back, reaching out he ever so lightly patted the slim stomach.

Although Starsky had reluctantly returned to work in the days following the shooting, he had doggedly returned each night to keep vigil. The guard was reduced to one outside the door during the daytime and none over the night. Manpower was short enough, and Starsky felt more than capable of protecting his blond from any further attempt of harming him while in the hospital. Between Huggy and Edith, and fast food he had been kept well fed, though he fretted about how little Hutch still ate even though he was almost completely recovered.

The search for the gunman had gone cold, but both detectives had a sinking feeling that there would be another appearance. Both men, sick to death of the hospital, still felt it to be a safe Haven and were nervous about leaving the mundane cocoon they had grown accustomed to. With a last look around the room, Hutch eased himself down into the mandatory wheelchair at the ready for his departure. "I guess that's it buddy."

"Yep. Your chariot awaits my wounded warrior." With a florid bow, Starsky swung the chair around, wheeling it out the propped open door. The hospital staff had gathered and applauded as Hutch eased himself into the passenger side of the Torino. Both officers had managed to worm their way into many hearts during the long convalescence. Embarrassed, he blushed, mouthing a thank you as Starsky quickly handed the chair to an orderly before climbing in himself. Slowly pulling away he was grinning broadly while waving furiously, loving the attention.

"Get you home and tucked in." Starsky turned his eyes back to the road.

"I don't want to be tucked in Starsk." Hutch groaned. "I want to be able to sit on anything that doesn't involve a bed for a little while at least."

"I certainly hope ya haven't developed an aversion ta beds babe." Starsky arched his eyebrows, licking his lips. "It's been way too long."

Hutch laughed then grimaced. "Yeah it has." Both sets of blues returned to watching everything and everyone around them as they pulled out of the hospital drive and onto the main drag. "As much as I want you though Starsk, I think we may have to wait a little while longer."

"A fact 'm more than aware of Blintz." Starsky reached over resting a hand on his lover's leg. "As much as I'm looking forward to that day, I'll be just as happy to be able to lay beside you with you fillin' my arms."

"Want some cream with all that sugar?" Hutch chuckled.

"Hey 'm entitled to get a little gooey from time ta time." Starsky grinned broadly. The sound of Hutch's laughter never failed to soak his heart bathing him in a warm glow.

Both men were lost in their own thoughts for a few minutes. "I've come to a decision." Hutch finally broke the comfortable silence.

"Oh yeah? An' what's that babe?" Starsky glanced over.

"I'm not going to take the six weeks sick leave that Dobey put me on." Hutch squeezed the hand covering his thigh.

"Dobey put ya on it because of Peterson's recommendation." Starsky frowned. "You're not ready ta run a marathon yet Hutch."

"No. I know that." Hutch nodded biting his lower lip. "But I'd rather be doing something instead of just lazing around. It may be awhile before I can work the streets, but it doesn't mean I can't work on finding the guy that did this to me from behind a desk."

"Whatever it is you think you'll be workin' on has been worked on and over with a fine tooth comb Blintz." Starsky pulled his hand away from the warmth of his blond, returning it to the steering wheel. "By me. There is nothin', nada, zilch."

"I know that too Gordo." Hutch whispered with a tender smile. "Still, don't you think I would be better off surrounded by a bunch of cops instead of waiting at home for you to get off work?" Batting his eyelashes innocently. "I know how you worry."

"Point taken." Starsky snickered and ceded, fully aware that the idea of Hutch being alone during the day had been haunting him since the doctor announced a release date.

"Not to mention the fact that you being my partner could, quite possibly, make you a target too." Turning serious again, Hutch once more focused his baby blues on their surroundings.

"If you're tryin' ta get rid of me..it ain't workin'." The indigo eyes darkened as the mind behind them wondered how well they were both going to function continuously watching over their shoulders.

"Like we always do." Hutch responded.

"Huh?"

"We always take care of each other, this will be no different except that we'll have to be even more careful." It was Hutch's turn to reach over and rub a denim clad thigh.

"I hate it when ya do that." Starsky mock scowled at the blond.

"I know." Hutch grinned.

"I've been thinking that maybe you should move in with me instead of us holing up at your place." Starsky chewed the inside of his cheek. "I mean there aren't so many tall buildings on my street."

"I doubt very much that, whoever, this guy is would try the same thing again, besides he knows that we're after him now." Hutch squeezed once. "But if it makes my honey happy, then your place it is."

"It would make me happy ta get this creep behind bars or somethin'." Starsky muttered under his breath.

Hutch had a fairly good idea what that something was his partner had in mind. He was leaning heavily towards preferring the something idea himself. "I was wondering if he's done anything like this before."

"Track then hunt somebody down?" Starsky asked. "Not in this city..least not recently. I already checked." Raising an eyebrow he looked over. "You thinkin' that maybe this isn't personal?"

Nodding Hutch kept his head facing the sidewalk. "Yeah. I'm thinking what if he just likes to take pop shots at someone he takes an interest in tracking."

"I don't know Hutch. Stalking you, knowin' where you work, when you work, who you know, and lets not forget, obviously knowing where you live. Seems like a helluva lot of effort to just have plucked your name out of a hat." Starsky shook his head.

"It's a game to him Starsk." Hutch defended his theory. "It's a game, deadly as it is, it's still just a game to him."

"Okay." Knowing when his Hutch sunk his teeth into something he wasn't going to let go until something gave, Starsky stopped dismissing the idea and began to ponder the possibilities. "We'll start lookin' into it after the weekend...No way!" He waved a finger at the blond stopping him before he could speak. "You and me aren't goin' anywhere but home for a couple of days you're already starting to look bagged."

Hutch laughed. "Oh alright. It's been a month and a half, a couple of more days won't make much difference, besides I am getting tired."

"Looks like I get to tuck ya in after all." Starsky grinned, adoration spilling from his eyes.

"What I really want is a bath." Hutch stated feeling his lids begin to get heavy.

"We can do that. Nice hot tub and then beddy by." Rage at the shooter coursed through him as he watched the fair head begin to bob beside him.

The rest of the ride passed quietly, Hutch's eyes snapping open as soon as the Torino's engine was shut off. "We here already?" He rubbed both eyes with the heels of his hands.

Watching his Hutch perform such an endearingly sweet act, Starsky felt all the love he felt for his partner threaten to cause his heart to explode. He Swallowed hard as Hutch dropped his hands back down. "Yeah babe we're home." He husked thickly.

There was a note pinned to the fridge written in Dobey's bold scrawl informing him that there was a lasagna in the oven, before the more refined writing of which had to be Edith's detailed the heating instructions. The Captain again near the bottom telling Starsky to call when Hutch got settled.

"Now isn't that cute. That's how we should do our reports Hutch, teamwork at it's finest. Wonder if they play patty-cake too." Starsky smiled thinking how their gruff and grumble boss was an oversized teddy bear at heart.

Hutch had read behind his partner with his arms around the brunette's waist, slightly bent so he could rest his chin on the muscled shoulder. "Maybe. Patty cake is better than trying to picture Dobey playing hop-scotch. Sure was nice of them to think about us."

"Did you really expect anything less?" Disentangling himself, Starsky turned the oven on and disappeared into the bathroom.

Hutch smiled, hearing the sound of the tub beginning to fill and began stripping down. Wincing as he bent he wondered how long it would be before his insides began to heal as nicely as the outside had.

Starsky came out, quickly increasing his pace after seeing the look of pain crossing his lover's face. "Easy there tiger, let me help."

"I really hate this." Hutch straightened up not believing that he had forgotten to take off his shoes before trying to rid himself of the pants. Lifting each foot in turn to have them as well as his socks removed before the rest.

"After livin' in jammies for that length of time babe, anyone would have some adjusting to do." Standing again, clothes bunched up in one hand with the other he led his naked partner towards the bath scrutinizing the tall body the entire way. "Scars are lookin' real good Blintz, but we definitely have ta work on gettin' them ribs covered better, if they were strings ya could strum us a tune."

Bathed, fed and finally tucked in. Hutch was out before his head hit the pillow. The covers gently placed tightly over the shoulders. Starsky called the Captain, thanking he and his wife for going out of their way for them, and then sat back to watch some television before, at long last, curling up beside his much loved blond. The screen remained blank and the apartment quiet except for the humming of the fridge as he thought about how his world was finally back on track, with the exception of one rather large glitch. Rising he decided that he really didn't want to watch anything. Whistling softly he stripped while making his way to the bedroom and his lover, naked before he made to the side of the bed. Eyes only on his blond he didn't notice the faint outline of a figure through the curtains as it ghosted past the window.

Part 6

Sleep eluded Starsky. He lay wide awake holding Hutch tightly to his chest he could feel them not being seen, though definitely being watched. Rubbing his cheek against a lax shoulder he gave it a brisk kiss before pushing himself away, slipping an arm out from under the sleeping blond. Keeping low he moved towards the window, being careful he pulled the curtain slightly away from the pane and tried to peer out. With shadows playing games amongst the trees he wasn't entirely positive that his eyes detected, though felt certain they had, a movement not caused by natures games near the trunk of the Torino. Eyes slitted and jaw clenched he pulled back, instinct demanding that he remain calm.

Creeping carefully out of the room he rechecked the locks on the door, retrieving his 9mm from the holster lying innocently on the jacket he had earlier dumped unceremoniously on the seat of the peacock chair. Indigo locked on the front door, he slowly moved into the kitchen and punched in the numbers to the station. After requesting bi-hourly patrols on his street, he smiled upon hearing that the an order had already been dictated earlier to that effect, and that officers were instructed to be extra vigilant when approaching and passing the address. "God bless Dobey." He whispered in the dark, visibly relaxing he put the safety back on his weapon and returned to the bedroom, sure enough he caught a glimpse of a cruiser slowly going past after one last peek out the window. The warning tingle had left allowing the hair on the back of his neck to settle down. The hint of menace no longer remained, though he was positive that someone had been out there. He silently slid back between the covers, again molding himself to his still sleeping lover. His weapon remained at the ready on the stand beside the bed.

"I don't understand why he would take the risk of hanging around here." Hutch cautiously drew the hot coffee his partner handed him towards his mouth the following morning. "He should have known there would be patrols."

"He's pissed." Starsky grumbled, plunking himself down at the table across from the blond. He had waited until they were both cleaned up and dressed before filling Hutch in on what he had felt, though admittedly wasn't sure he had seen, the night before. "He's pissed at not finishin' what he meant ta have ended."

"My life." Hutch raised his eyebrows smiling over his mug.

"Yep." Starsky returned the grin. "You're not supposed ta be here babe, the fact that you are must have really put a wrinkle into his game plan."

"You think he has a plan?" Hutch slowly set his coffee on the table, alert cyan never wavering from his brunette.

"Only one I can think of at the moment." Starsky replied, raising his own mug to his lips. "An' for the time being that's the only one that concerns me."

"He's smart."

"Don't count on it Hutch."

"Come on Starsky. He knows what he's doing and he knows how to do it. Not many people..least of all stupid people would take a pop shot off the roof of a building, at a cop no less, and then in the same day have the gall to try and approach the same target at a hospital." Releasing a breath, Hutch looked to the side before bringing his focus back to his love. "And get away with doing both."

Nodding, Starsky's eyes narrowed in anger. "He's gotta be a few logs short of a full load though."

"Not quite right in the head I can agree on." Hutch fiddled with the handle of his mug his head now lowered. "I'm sure he's done this before. Done it before and probably more than once."

"What makes ya think that?" Starsky lowered his voice, the gentle tone causing the blond to again raise his head.

"It's..he's too precise...too calculating." Scowling, Hutch shook his head, jutting his jaw in frustration. "It's almost as if this entire thing has been planned, plotted and played out for months maybe even years."

"That you're just a minor player..destined ta be knocked off the board at the roll of the die?" Starsky had had the exact thought many times during the course of his lover's healing.

"Exactly." Slapping the table, Hutch, raising while looking at his palm, drew back somewhat surprised at the force he had used. "Only this time they didn't come up the way he had planned...and there could be a good chance that they failed him before. "

"We would have heard or know about any past incidents involving this kind of attack." Starsky shook his head in disagreement. "It wasn't exactly an everyday kinda murder attempt. Plus, like you said why a cop?"

"No it wasn't." Hutch agreed, eyes fast as the mind behind them spun. "And yes we would have heard if anything like it happened here, but what about somewhere else? He must move around Starsk..like you said this isn't like he stabs people in back alleys or kidnaps unsuspecting hikers. He wouldn't be able to get more than one or two victims in one city unless he wasn't confining himself to one area. How much media attention did this act get?"

"Next ta nil." Starsky was coming around, now siding more with his blond's trail of thought.

"And why is that?" Hutch licked his lower lip.

"You know damn well why.." Starsky grinned wanting to slap as well as kiss his blond. "with no attention there's a better chance of him not hiding, which in turn gives the good guys a better chance of catchin' him."

Hutch was grinning broadly. "And if that's what we've done here then there is a possibility that the media has been kept in the dark elsewhere, that is if he's missed his mark before."

"An' you think he has." Starsky chewed on his tongue.

"I think he has." Hutch nodded.

"Still, a cop Hutch?"

"I've been thinking about that." Hutch rose, picking up Starsky's cup he went to the kitchen to refill the two of them. "I think he's getting cocky, and that again ties in with my hunch that he's done this before."

"Not gettin' the attention he was lookin' for so decided to up the stakes a little?" Starsky smiled thanks for the fresh coffee that was placed before him. "Go for a more high profile target?"

Hutch eased himself slowly down again. "Something like that." Sucking his lips in, he leaned forward on his forearms, taking a deep breath he bent his head over them.

"You gonna be okay Blintz?" Starsky immediately sprang to his feet coming around he placed both hands on the hunched shoulders kneading them gently.

"I'm fine Starsky, just really hurts. I've done more in the last 24 hours than I have in six weeks combined." Reaching over his head, he brought one of the smaller hands back around with his. His tongue flicked in and out as he traced tiny kisses over the open palm.

Starsky felt his genitals begin to fill and drew his hand away. "Come on babe, don't start somethin' we can't, better yet won't finish."

"I want to so bad though Gordo." Hutch licked his upper lip, pushing himself off the table. Sad eyes came up to look forlornly at his partner.

"In time Hutch..all in good time." Starsky pulled his own chair closer and sat pressing his forehead to his partners their eyelashes brushing when they blinked. "You've been home for less than a day babe."

"It's just so frustrating Starsk." Getting bleary eyed, Hutch found himself drowning happily in a sea of sapphire.

Starsky too found the powder blue filling his own sight making him dizzy in a delightfully giddy way. "My eyes are startin' ta water." He whispered with a smile.

"Mine too." Hutch also spoke in a hushed tone returning the smile. "Don't want to move though."

"Me either." Starsky sighed then sat back. "But we have to. I think that maybe you should lay down for a little while."

Hutch now rolled his baby blues before they again focused on his partner, this time filled with irritation. "I've been up for less than an hour Starsk."

"Yeah, but still.."

"There isn't any 'but still'. Even in the hospital I was up a lot longer than this. I'm sore inside Gordo, laying down isn't going to change that. I'm still healing, that's all." Hutch interrupted softly, knowing how much his partner wanted to make the pain his own. "It's not really all that bad Starsky, constant is all and sometimes it comes in waves."

"Are they itchy?" Starsky hated seeing Hutch hurting and stood up to take their now cold coffee back to the kitchen.

"Are what itchy?"

"You know...you're guts. Are they?"

Hutch sniggered. "No they don't itch Starsk. You've had enough holes in you to know that."

"I never had ta have my intestines taken out and sewn back up." Starsky mock pouted, glad to hear Hutch laugh again.

"They're just sore. The only itch I have is the one for you..and it's a doozy." Hutch eyed the rounded ass. Laughing as Starsky wiggled it for him.

"Now who's bein' mushy?" Starsky began rooting through the fridge. "An' you don't even like sugar."

"I'm still allowed have drip a little saccharine from time to time." Hutch slowly rose deciding to help with the breakfast preparations. After being confined for so long he wanted get back in shape as quickly as safety and his lover permitted.

"Lab rats..." Starsky was delighted to find a slab of cheese in the vegetable drawer, his train of thought diverted. "We got all the fixin's for a monster omelette Blintz."

"I don't want any rats in mine Starsk."

"Huh?"

"Never mind." Hutch grabbed a mixing bowl from a bottom cupboard, hoping that Starsky wouldn't object to him helping.

Shaking his head with a snort, Starsky caught on. "No, I was just gonna say that in a couple of years they'll discover that saccharine causes cancer or somethin' in rats."

"You have no idea how relieved I am not to have to watch you eat a rodent." Hutch grinned, sidestepping slightly to retrieve a whisk from the large vase that held all of Starsky's larger utensils.

A large stone came crashing through the window above the sink with enough force to hit the blond in the shoulder, with a painful yelp, spinning him completely around.

The sound of the glass shattering caused Starsky to instantly turn away shielding his head. Hearing the even louder boom of his lover hitting the floor, he immediately spun back around screaming. "HUTCH...!!"

Part 7

Ignoring the bits of broken glass on the floor with a lunge forward, Starsky threw himself to his knees sliding the last few inches he stopped at the blond's head. "Hutch!?"

"I'm okay Starsk..go!!" Hutch pushed himself up enough to lean his back on the side of the counter an arm crossed his chest to massage the stricken shoulder.

Starsky hesitated for just an instant before jumping to his feet and flying out of the apartment, running around the corner of the building he frantically looked in all directions. "Shit!" He slammed a fist into the palm of his other hand. A six foot high cement wall separated the next property from his landlords giving the culprit only two directions to make his escape, at least that's what he thought at first. He was just about to turn around when his gaze landed on the large oak on the other side of the fence. The same tree that he often stared at while doing dishes. Looking from the broken window then back to the thick branches he then moved to stand just under the sill. "Son of a bitch was in the fuckin' tree." He whistled.

"Nothing?" Hutch hadn't moved when Starsky returned.

"Not even a footprint." Starsky fell to one knee, tenderly cupping his lover's face. "Wanna go to the hospital?"

"No." Hutch smiled through pain filled eyes. "It's a bit of a setback, but I'll be okay."

"Let's get you up off the floor at least." Taking the arm that still gripped the shoulder, Starsky helped his partner to his feet, not letting go until the blond was once again seated at the table. "Really hurts doesn't it?"

Nodding, Hutch sighed. "He must have used a slingshot, no one could throw that hard." Finally bringing his hand away, he flexed his shoulder a little, grimacing even more.

"Let me look." Starsky had already begun to undo his lover's shirt. Pulling the material away he winced himself at the size of the angry red welt that was already beginning to change color. "Jesus! What's he gonna use next...a crossbow?" With the tips of his fingers raised and ready to gently probe the injury, he looked up, stopping as Hutch's eyes dared him to go ahead. "Sorry." He lowered his arm, sitting back in his own chair.

"It's alright." The wariness left, a soft smile replacing it. "I think we better call this in though Gordo. I doubt it very much, but maybe our guy screwed up and left a print on the rock."

"How're your innards doin'?" Starsky had already risen lifting the receiver he turned, eyes narrowed as he again studied the blond.

"Not so good." Hutch knew his partner would instantly see through any lie he told. "Matter of fact not very good at all."

"I think.."

"No Starsk. No hospital. I just wasn't expecting my body to try and take off in opposite directions. Really hon, I'll be okay in a day or two." Hutch fought hard to keep the fiery pain scorching his insides from reflecting on his face, knowing he'd succeeded when his lover didn't continue to badger.

Starsky made the call. After being told that it wouldn't be long before a team arrived, he joined Hutch at the table to wait., his eyes alternating between worry when he looked at his partner, and anger when he glared at the hand sized stone lying innocently on the kitchen floor amidst the fragments of broken glass. He knew full well that Hutch was lying and lying badly at that.

"It would have ta have been." Starsky nodded. "Only way he could have could have covered the distance from the tree and have that kind a force."

"Beg pardon?" Hutch raised his eyebrows, the eyes themselves fastened on his partner in confusion.

"Slingshot." Starsky swung around in his chair. "It would have had to have been a slingshot. I mean unless he was kneelin' on the wall..which he wouldn't have risked, not with the odds of being spotted extremely high. The only way for 'im to get the height in order ta make sure he could get a shot through the window, and make sure that he could see it was you he was aimin' at would be from the tree."

"The tree?" Hutch tilted his head, then remembered. "Oh yeah, the oak."

"As soon as the print guys get here I'll go snoop around and see if he left anything he didn't mean for us ta find." Noting that Hutch was losing color by the minute, he wished he could think of a way to get him to lay down, knowing his proud partner wouldn't, at least not until the lab crew left.

"Go now Starsk. I'll be fine here, besides they'll be here any minute." Hutch urged curious himself to know if his lover would find anything.

Starsky gave him a baleful glare. "I think not."

"For heaven's sake Starsky you'll be less than 200 feet away, if that." Hutch found himself flushing with a perfect mix of embarrassment and exasperation.

"With a concrete wall between us? I don't think so Blintz. Ya sure that rock didn't hit your noggin' first?" Starsky cocked one eyebrow.

"I'm sure, though I think that was what he was aiming for." Hutch had forgotten all about the fence, knowing if their roles were reversed, wall or not he too wouldn't be going anywhere even for a minute. "Can you help me to the bedroom?"

"Hutch?" Starsky again sprung to his feet. "You're really feelin' rough, aren't ya babe?"

"Yeah..yeah I am Gordo." Hutch let his partner get him up and then leaned heavily on him as they slowly made their way to the bed.

"Finish undoin' your shirt Hutch, I think I still have some tylenol 3's in the medicine cabinet." Leaving his blond sitting on the bed he scooted to the bathroom. "No arguing with me on this either, the no med rule was fine before this."

Hutch had no intention of arguing, indeed he was yearning for the medication, the pain in his shoulder now vying for equal attention with those under the surface of his recently acquired scars.

Starsky had just gotten Hutch settled under the covers when he heard a vehicle pull up outside. "That would be the lab boys babe. You get some sleep and we'll try an' keep the noise down." Stroking the silky hair away, he bent and softly kissed the exposed temple.

"Starsk?" Hutch called after him.

Starsky turned holding the doorknob in his hand.

"I love you, you know that right?" Hutch almost whispered.

Starsky smiled shyly, glancing down at his sneakers once then back up. "I know...you bet I know, same here." He pulled the door softly shut behind him after he saw the lids come down on the eyes he loved so much. A tingle, only this time one of sheer happiness, ran up his spine.

After shushed greetings, Starsky left the team to do their job, having been assured that they would operate as quietly as possible, and headed out to inspect the area around and up in the tree he firmly believed had been where the enemy had earlier been lurking. Approaching the large though still fairly young oak slowly, his eyes raking the grass for anything not nature related. "You're gonna screw up asshole, there's no way in hell you're gettin' my Hutch." He muttered under his breath, occasionally bringing his head up to scan the area at eye level.

Huggy cautiously entered the open front door, surprised at the hub of activity going on in the small kitchen. Identifying himself as a friend he asked and was told where he could find the darker of the two detectives. Making his way around the wall he stopped and watched as Starsky jumped several times before managing to get a good enough grip on the lowest branch to pull himself up. Waiting until Starsky was up and straddling the limb before he approached. "I gather breakfast wasn't without incident."

"You can say that again Hug." Starsky had spotted his thin friend while he was still upside down. He quickly filled the Bear in on all that had transpired. "He's so fuckin' bold it's unbelievable." He added when finished.

Huggy had listened intently, while at the same time took up the ground search, slowly half circling the base of the tree. "Slick as an oil spill." He agreed.

"What brings you out here so early in the day?" Starsky stared down at the back of his friend's fedora covered head. He'd just realized that Huggy was out and about long before noon, a rare occurrence for the Bear.

"Got a tip, can't say how reliable it is though." Huggy continued to study the lawn. "Apparently the dude that passed it on to my informant isn't what you'd call the leafiest tree in the forest."

"Apt description, considering where we are. What have ya got Hug?" Not finding anything other than a couple of spots where some bark may have been rubbed away by shoe soles, he jumped down to the ground.

"He says that he was on the street when a similar incident went down, only this time the guy on the roof succeeded in his mission." Huggy kept on with his search, not knowing what he was looking for, but looking all the same.

"When?"

"'Bout a year ago."

"Where?" Starsky followed the slow march, his own eyes never leaving the Bear.

"Atlanta."

"Atlanta?" Starsky drew up short.

Huggy, too, stopped. The dark eyes coming up to meet those of his friend. "There was one other thing Starsk. Which is the reason I hustled out here right away."

"Don't leave me hangin' here Hug. Hutch almost got a rock in the head that if it had hit could have crushed his scull." Cobalt bored into his friend.

"The guy that was killed happened to be a cop...an undercover cop to be exact, homicide, division that is and not only how he bought it ." Huggy again picked up the search, but not before Starsky noticed the worry in the depths of the dark brown orbs.

Stunned, Starsky didn't notice Huggy had left his side. "So he isn't picking his victims at random." He spoke low to himself, quickly bringing his attention back to Huggy as his mind whirled. "You didn't get a description of the victim by any chance did ya Hug?"

"Nope. You thinking he may have been a tall blond?" Huggy spotted something in the near distance out of the corner of his eye and walked towards it.

"I don't know why, but yeah that's exactly what I'm thinkin'." Starsky replied, a feeling that the victim would indeed turn out to be just that having hit him before the question had even been asked.

"Hey Starsk?"

"What?"

"There's a book of matches over here, for all it's worth." Huggy pointed towards a small white packet.

Starsky came over, and squatted over it. "Could be worth quite a bit Hug, it's dry." pulling out a pair of tweezers he had thought to grab while getting his lover the medication, and picked it up carefully.

"Dry?" Huggy asked.

"If it had been here long the dew would have soaked them, at least the underside of it." Starsky answered. "Let's get back, I've been away from Hutch too long as it is and the lab can check this out for prints. Leaves or none Hug, I'd kiss the nitwit if I ever met him."

Part 8

Starsky dropped the matchbook into the baggie that was held open for him. Other than gather up the rock and the book of matches, there wasn't really anything else the print boys could do, preferring to do their work back at the station being that the items were portable, they left after reassuring Starsky that they'd immediately pass the info through the chain of command if and when they found a print.

After they were alone in the newly air conditioned apartment, Starsky and Huggy began picking up the glass. It seemed there wasn't a thing in the room that didn't have bits and slivers of hanging or laying on it. "I'm gonna havta get that boarded up, and the sooner the better." Starsky jutted his chin towards the open window while brushing glass from the counter onto the floor

"I'll take care of that bro', you have far more serious things to think about other than a hole in the wall." Huggy, broom in hand, was sweeping a pile of rubble into the middle of the floor.

"I'm going to have to go Hug." Starsky turned to lean against the counter, his eyes on the bedroom door.

"I'll stay with him Starsk, no need to worry." Huggy rested his chin on the end of the broom.

"I can't leave you alone with him, I'll call Dobey and tell him what happened, he'll send a car over right away." Starsky reached out giving the Bear a little tap on the head before picking up the phone.

"I'm hurt." Straitening up, Huggy resumed sweeping. "I mean I may be slight, but I contain a lot of might."

Starsky couldn't help smiling while punching in the all too familiar numbers. "You really want to stay alone here with that monster after Hutch?"

"Well since you put it that way..." Huggy didn't finish, even across the room he could hear that the man of the house had answered the phone. Ignoring the ensuing conversation he studied the open window frame, mentally measuring it, he didn't think it would take much to cover it. That done he turned back towards Starsky, still not listening to the details of what was being said he followed the intense eyes, finding his own staring at the closed door to the bedroom. Looking back at the empty space over the sink and then back towards the door a thought, under the circumstance, not a pleasant thought hit him. "Uh, Starsk? Starsky?"

"Just a sec Cap." Starsky put his hand over the mouth piece. "What is it Hug? I'm on the phone here."

"I know I'm not as frequent a guest in your bedroom, though do know the general layout, as blondie is." Huggy picked the broom up, holding the thin handle in both hands. "But how big is the window in there?"

"SHIT!" Starsky's eyes widened in shock. "Get in there Hug! I'll be there in just a sec."

Huggy clenched his jaw and marched towards the room, pausing for a moment before turning the knob and flinging the door open. He wasn't expecting anything to be amiss, but with broom firmly in hand was prepared for anything.

Starsky quickly wrapped up his talk with Dobey, checking to make sure he had his weapon on while he rushed towards the room himself. The terror left him as soon as he saw his lover snoring softly, still firmly encased in the covers. "I can't believe I left him that vulnerable."

"Chances were about as thin as I am that anything was going to happen to him Starsk." Huggy turned his weapon into a staff, again leaning on it. "It was just a thought that came to me."

"Yeah well I'm glad you had it." Starsky squeezed the scrawny shoulder before moving up to sit on the side of the bed. Picking up a large lax hand he stroked the forearm tenderly. "I really don't know how much more of this we can take."

Huggy had moved towards the window and partially opened the curtains. "That didn't take long." He watched as a black and white pulled up and parked in front.

Starsky went to talk to the men while Huggy placed a call requesting certain materials to be delivered as soon as possible. The brunette worriedly left after having one of the officers remain in the car and the other inside the apartment. Telling Huggy he wouldn't be long he went back in to plant a soft kiss over the slightly parted lips of his Hutch before departing.

At the station, he was a little surprised to see that Dobey had already gotten there. "I sent a Teletype to Atlanta asking for details on the shooting there, explaining to them what is happening here as well."

"Thanks Capn'." Starsky smiled gratefully. "Anything from forensics yet?"

"Not yet. Relax Starsky, these things do take time." Dobey motioned for him to sit.

Starsky's stomach rumbled as he helped himself to a coffee before sinking down into a chair. "Thing is cap, we havta find this guy soon, Hutch can't take much more of this."

With a heavy sigh, the Captain nodded his agreement. A clerk hesitantly entered before placing a file on the desk with a shy smile towards Starsky and left. The phone rang before he could open it, Starsky reaching over, decided to take a peek first.

"Yeah, just came down..no..no haven't had a chance to look at it yet." Dobey gruffed. "Starsky give me that! Good, glad to hear it. Yes let us know right away."

"Well?" Starsky moved to sit on the edge of his seat, both hands gripping the edge of the desk.

"Nothing on the rock, but a very nice partial on the matchbook." Dobey grinned, cheeks puffing up. "The computer got a hit."

Starsky whistled, his eyes lighting with delight. "Wow that was fast..well who are we lookin' for?"

"Duncan Moore." Dobey looked over the file. "We're still waiting to get more information on exactly who he is."

"Let me know..I'll be at home." Starsky pushed himself up. "I've been away from Hutch way too long as it is."

"Give him my love." Dobey looked up. "And the both of you keep safe, I'll have a car out there around the clock from here on in."

"Thanks Cap." Starsky smiled before disappearing through the door.

Hutch lay awake, a breath of fire in his lower abdomen waging a fierce competition with the throbbing heat just below his left collar bone. With his right arm he pushed himself to a sitting position, then swung his legs around so his feet rested on the floor. A wave of dizziness assaulted him, after it passed he, shakily, stood. After relieving himself in the washroom he pulled on a pair of jeans, doing the zipper up he left the button undone. Forsaking a shirt he opened the door and stepped into the living room to see what all the pounding was about that had awakened him in the first place.

Huggy, with a foot in the sink the other leg bent on the counter, was driving another nail in place, a uniformed officer holding the thin sheet of plywood over what once was the the plate glass of the kitchen window.

Looking on for a few minutes in amusement, Hutch then glanced around the rest of the apartment before speaking up. "Where is he Hug?" He shouted over the din.

Instantly freezing, hammer not quite hitting it's mark, Huggy thought his heart had stopped for a moment before managing to swing his head around at the same time as the cop. "You trying to kill me bro'? What the hell are you doing up?"

Hutch nodded a greeting to the officer before bringing his gaze back to the Bear. "Where's Starsky?"

"Easy Hutch, he went to the station. We found a suspicious book of matches near that tree out back and the lab guys took it and the rock in to be tested." The plywood secure, Huggy handed the hammer to the uniform, tilting his head he silently entreated the man to finish the job, then climbed down from the counter.

"Did he say when he would be back?" Hutch went to the front window and looked out, a squad car with one occupant the only thing on the street.

"No, but he's been gone almost two hours so he shouldn't be long."

Still watching the street, Hutch smiled seeing the unmistakable Torino pull into the driveway, his lover behind the wheel. "He's home."

"What'd I tell you." Huggy grinned, turning to supervise the finishing of the temporary window covering.

Starsky bounded up the steps and through the door, frowning at finding it unlocked he then stopped in his tracks. Hutch's brilliant smile instantly causing him to return it with a huge grin of his own. "Why are you up babe?"

"Home repair isn't conductive to a good rest. Besides I'm fine Gordo, if I slept much more I'd be up all night." Hutch's smile turned hungry.

Starsky snorted. "That's somethin'..."

"We have company Starsky." Hutch jutted his chin towards the kitchen and the other officer.

"Oh yeah. Hey Jenkins." Starsky tossed a greeting at the man as he too climbed down from the counter, mission completed.

"Sir." The encounter with the detective in the hospital still very fresh in his mind, Jenkins thumbed the hammer nervously.

"Any problems Bob?" Starsky asked, his eyes studying his blond for any sign of anything. "Other than Huggy putting you to work that is."

"No sir..all was quiet..well except for the hammering that woke Detective Hutchinson." Biting his lip, Jenkins was surprised he managed to stammer that much out.

Deciding that his partner was no worse for the wear, although preferring that the blond would still be sleeping, Starsky turned to the young man. "Glad ta hear it. You can go join your partner now, Bob, I've got it from here."

"Yes sir." Handing the hammer to the Bear, he quickly headed towards the front door, with a final glance at both partners he slipped through quietly shutting the door behind him.

"He's afraid of you Starsk." Hutch had watched the young man's every move.

"Yeah well, I was a little rough on him at the hospital, don't you remember?" Starsky moved closer, again studying his lover for any sign of discomfort.

"No. No, don't remember him at all." Hutch admitted after thinking for a minute.

"Doesn't matter. You woke for a sec to chastise me and defend the poor kid." Starsky reached out to pull his blond towards the couch. "How're you feelin'?"

"Still sore, but not so bad." Hutch lied. "Did you find out anything?"

Huggy had come around and sat in the wicker chair.

"Found out a name..Duncan Moore, ever hear of 'im Hug?" Starsky sat sideways beside Hutch, holding the taller man's hand.

Shaking his head Huggy responded. "Nope. Can't say that I have, but I can check it out if you'd like."

"Naw. Dobey's digging into that as we speak." Starsky turned around to look into the kitchen. "Wow. You really cleaned it up Hug..thanks a bunch."

"No thanks required Starsk, I had little Bobby do most of the work." Huggy stood. "And unless you need me for anything else, I feel the need to catch up on my beauty sleep before opening for the evening."

"Go ahead Hug, can't tell you how much help you've been in all of this." Starsky grinned at his thin friend.

"My pleasure dude. You take it easy Hutch, if you need anything just call..you know the number."

"Will do Huggy, and thank you." Hutch replied, himself smiling as he firmly shut the door after a final wave. "Duncan Moore." He then muttered under his breath.

"Man! Am I ever starving!" Starsky sprung up from the sofa. "How about we fix them omelettes now?"

"Yeah, okay." Hutch absently answered. "Duncan Moore, Starsk?"

"Yep. That's the name..ring a bell?" His voice sounding hollow as he rummaged through the fridge.

"I think we both have heard of it before." Hutch rubbed his chin in thought.

"I thought it sounded familiar when I first heard it, but I'll be damned if I can remember why." Starsky turned, eggs underarm, cheese and tomatoes taking up both hands.

Hutch struggled to his feet, his eyes widening. "He's a cop, or was..dammit! Yes. Out of Pittsburgh! Remember Starsk? He was one of the cops busted in that narcotics ring back east...I'm sure of it."

Part 9

"Why would a bad cop from Pittsburgh be tryin' ta kill a cop in Bay City?" Starsky slowly set the food down on the counter. "And if connected, why kill another cop in Atlanta?"

"I have no idea." Hutch picked up the whisk, with a wary look at the wood covered window, he had many hours before reached for just before getting hit.

They were to find out later that afternoon, as Dobey himself came to pay them a visit. Declining a coffee, the large man sat at the table a very serious expression on his face while he waited for his boys to join him. "It turns out that this Duncan Moore.."

"He's a cop..we know Cap. Hutch here remembered that he was all over the news a while back." Starsky tilted a thumb towards his blond.

"Three years ago as a matter of fact." Dobey clarified.

"Why isn't he in prison Captain?" Hutch grimaced as he coughed. "I don't remember the details of the trial, but he had to have gotten a pretty stiff sentence."

Starsky watched Hutch carefully, hoping to get him back to bed as soon as he could.

"He didn't make it to trial, he skipped bail long before then." Dobey added. "He was busy though. The detective that arrested him was found dead the day after."

"Let me guess...he was shot while leaving his place ta go to work. He worked homicide and was tall and blond." Starsky spit out.

"Well, I don't know why I even bothered to come over here, since you two seem to have pieced it all together." Although not surprised, the Captain was a little disappointed that what he'd found his officers had already suspected.

"The one in Atlanta?" Hutch asked.

"Keith Stapleton, homicide, tall and also blond. No proof, but now strongly suspected that it was also Moore." Dobey nodded, adding an extra chin as he did. "Same as Brian Montgomery in Seattle and Charles Whitby in Chicago."

"Jesus!" The partners exclaimed in unison.

"No survivors?" Hutch was still reeling from the shock.

"Montgomery, like you, survived the first attack. The hit was completed 3 months later." Dobey supplied.

"Why the hell wasn't every department in the country told that this lunatic was hunting down fair-haired homicide cops?" Starsky could feel the anger build. At both the powers that be on the force and Duncan Moore.

"Because until you found this print, Starsky, not one of the states, with the exception of Pennsylvania, had any reason to suspect him of anything. So far, that book of matches is the only clue he's left at any scene." Dobey sighed, running a hand over his eyes. "After finding out about the one in Atlanta, thanks to Huggy's friend by the way, I had a message sent to the Chief of Police in every city in the state including Alaska and Hawaii. That's how we got the other names and details."

"Well now that we have an advantage, how do we go about getting him?" Hutch was already thinking of checking all the hotels and motels in the area, seedy being the most likely place he would be staying. "My guess is he's staying in hooker Haven, cash up front for the room and no questions asked."

"I don't think so Hutch." Starsky was shaking his head.

"Why not?"

"He's got wheels, anybody with a car wouldn't dream of leavin' it down there overnight." Starsky knew that his partner was on the right track, needing ID to check into the classier hotels.

"Fake identification?" Hutch cocked an eyebrow.

"Either that or he's campin'." Starsky stated with a shudder, eliciting a smile from Hutch.

"I've already assigned Richards and Blaine to the case." Dobey rose, shaking out his slacks. "I imagine that you'll be foregoing on the sick leave, Hutchinson?"

"You imagined right." Hutch was also about to stand, a tapered hand on his shoulder pushing him back down.

"He'll stay at his desk Capn', but he'll be safer at the precinct. You do know that Richards and Blaine or not, that me 'n Hutch also want to work on this...it may not be personal for Moore but it sure as hell is ta me."

Dobey knew whether he ordered them to stay out of it they would only disobey anyway, instead he nodded his head as Starsky walked him to the door. "Oh..I almost forgot," He turned and gestured towards the table and the manila envelope he had left on the table. Hutch automatically reaching for it. "There's a few pictures of Moore in there. Thought they might be useful to see who's after Hutch."

"Thanks Cap...for everything." Starsky grinned.

Starsky locked the door right after his superior left, sliding the bolt home, then double checking it. "Look familiar?"

"Nope." Hutch admitted. "I can see how he could fit in unnoticed though, he's got Joe ordinary written all over him."

Starsky came over picking up a photo from the neat little stack. "You can say that again, a general description of him could include a good 75 percent of the male population."

"Says here that he's five eight, 175 lbs, dark brown hair and mustache...that fits with what the hospital staff reported." Hutch then went back to memorizing each and every feature of the man trying to kill him.

"Hazel eyes and ruddy complexion." Starsky had taken up the sheet. "Could be anyone."

"Not everyone is weapons trained and an expert at tactical assault." Hutch added. "Arrested, escaped or not, he's good Starsk."

Starsky studied the waning blond before him. "Name or not, it doesn't get us any closer to gettin' him." He agreed. "You okay babe?"

"No. I'm as hard as a rock, my stomach hurts and my cock is leaking all over the place." Hutch smiled greedily.

"I don't think so Hutch." Starsky felt himself perking up nonetheless.

"I don't think I'm ready to have you in me again...but know that I want what I want." Hutch began stalking his own victim.

"You aren't ready babe." Starsky argued, his own manhood rising as the blond steadfastly approached.

Hutch grinned evilly, "I'm more than ready...willing too." He quickly rid himself of the jeans he had earlier pulled on.

"Hutch!!!"

"Take it off, take off all the clothes." Hutch further approached.

"You can't do this Hutch! You aren't up for it!" Starsky continued to protest.

"I know what I'm up for, and up is my main problem right now." Hutch leered. "You're the solution, Gordo."

"I see that." Starsky laughed, stripping himself as quickly as possible, while ogling his lover's cock.

Hutch quickly coated himself with the lube he retrieved from the nightstand, wasting no time, knowing he didn't have much of it, he quickly assaulted his lover's entrance. With nips and suckles he carefully, though hurriedly traced his lover's torso with his mouth, his fingers eliciting moans with thrusts of their own before bringing his cock into the task. A hasty breath and a final shove finally bringing him home. Hutch paused in his desire, relishing the exquisite feel of having his life surround him. The pulsing heat bringing rapture without the need of a single thrust.

"Hutch!?" Starsky cried needily.

Moving now, steady and sure, Hutch gripped his partner's hips firmly as his own need tightened, and swelled in his balls. Abdomen and pain ignored as he further swelled, filling his lover to the splitting point.

"AH!! Jesus! Now Hutch!" Starsky found his ass pistoning back and front in order to meet and kiss the long rod of his lover. Just as he felt he would fly, a large hand, with longer fingers came around to grasp him at the base.

"Oh God Starsk! Now babe!" Hutch pumped and stroked, the two coming as one. Hutch rolled over and off, his cock creating a smack of suction as it was removed from his lover. "I can die now." He smiled towards the ceiling.

"Ya wouldn't dare." Starsky responded, he too looking upwards after rolling over.

Hutch was snoring softly beside him. "I'll clean us up babe...no worry." Starsky smiled over the slumbering form before stumbling up and towards the washroom.

Starsky heard the jangling of the phone, cursing it, he was then surprised to hear his lover's gentle voice answer. The soft cords quickly became agitated causing the brunette to scurry from the bathroom.

"I know who you are Moore, or would you prefer Duncan." Hutch spit into the phone.

"Easy Hutch." Starsky ran to the living room, picking up the other extension. Hearing only the tail end of his Blintz reeling off the names of the previous victims. Leaving the receiver off the hook he scrambled to get the clothes he had earlier discarded with abandonment around the room.

"You won't get away this time!" Hutch's voice was a deep threatening growl. Stretching the phone towards the dresser, he managed to pull on a pair of sweats, the phone glued to his ear.

"You're ass is grass Hutchinson." Came the level, almost feminine response. "Your partner is a genius in leaving you exposed, I could have gotten you anytime I wanted."

"I'll trust my partner any day of the week...it's you that will need backup and soon." Hutch responded vehemently.

"What's it feel like to know you're about to die?" Moore ignored the previous darkness in the voice he was only now familiar with.

"Dying I'm not afraid of, leaving without saying goodbye is what terrifies me." Hutch spoke candidly. "You have anyone to say goodbye to?"

"You're it sweetie." Came the blunted response followed by a nervous giggle.

"They should have it now." Starsky replaced his receiver, then rushed outside towards the Torino. Confirming from the radio in the squad car that indeed the trace had been made. To a 'Leona's Fireside Inn', to be exact. Returning the apartment just long enough to throw on his holster, sneakers and jacket he took off at a run, leaving Hutch to carry on the conversation without the benefit of another set of ears.

Hutch watched as Starsky flew out the door, anxious to follow and protect he quickly ended the talk. "Your lucks running out Moore." He hung up, finished dressing as quickly as he could, he spent precious seconds trying to jam his head through an arm hole of the T-shirt. Strapping on his own weapon, he headed out the door as quickly as his aching body would allow.

"Where are we going Starsk?" The soft voice filtered through the radio, surprising yet delighting Starsky.

"Fireside Inn babe, but I got it....you should just go on back home." Starsky's smile went through the wire like a bolt of lightning.

"And miss the fun?" Hutch asked with a smile. "Come on hon, it's not everyday that I get to meet someone that want's to kill me as much as this guy does. Besides, I have Carleson and Armstrong in tow."

"No point in them watchin' and empty apartment." Starsky smiled, glad his Hutch had thought to bring them along for backup."

Searching the parking area, Starsky was dismayed to find that there wasn't any sign of the light blue car. Entering the cozy yet upper crust, badge in hand, hotel he also found that Duncan, first name used as an alias in the form of a last name had departed not fifteen minutes before.

Hutch's LTD ground to a halt directly behind the Torino.

Part 10

Hutch instructed the officers to stay outside, call Dobey to get a search warrant and most importantly of all to watch their backs. Then he went inside to find that Starsky was already on the horn to their superior. "He took the notebook from Starsky and saw the name that their suspect had used to book a room. Smiling he handed it back, noting the nervous fidgeting of the clerk behind the faux marble reception desk. "Take it easy, you're not the one we're looking for." He reassured warmly. Tilting his head towards his partner he added. "Has he asked you any questions, other than the name and room number?"

"No. But he asked me to call the owner." The calm demeanor of the strangely attired officer and the soft voice causing him to settle down.

"Did you?"

"Yes sir, from the other phone here." He pointed to another phone on a shelf lower than the counter top, beside the cash register. "He's on his way."

Hutch had tried to smooth down his hair on the fast ride to the hotel, but knew he must still look pretty mussed up. He only hoped he didn't reek of sex too. Wishing he had taken the time to at least throw on some socks, he'd been only wanting to catch up with his lover so he quickly decided to forego them.

Within an hour there were police swarming all over the place, leaving no stone left unturned inside and outside, guests were awakened and questioned. It being the off season though there were very few of them to be questioned. The room Moore used was empty, not a trace of the man to be found, not even a hair in the sink.

"Wiped completely clean." Starsky stated needlessly.

"He wanted that call to be traced." Hutch watched the organized chaos before him.

"I think you're right Hutch." Dobey looked like he'd just woken up himself, though he had taken the time to don a suit. "For some reason he wanted you out of Starsky's place."

"I want a thorough search done of the apartment before I'm lettin' Hutch back in there cap." Starsky mentally kicked himself, in all the excitement both he and his partner had forgotten that it was a cop they were hunting down, and that he would know that the call would be traced, and how long the connection would have to be in place in order to do it.

"It'll be done. Keep in mind Starsky that if he did go there that everything, all food items everything, even so much as a tea bag will have to be gotten rid of." Dobey drew a deep breath. "Maybe you'd both be better off if we get you to a safe house."

"Toothpaste, lotions soap." Starsky was going over all the items they would have to replace. "He'll expect that capn'."

"And since most of our safe houses are outside of city limits, we'd be even more vulnerable." Hutch added.

Dobey looked from one of his men to the other. "I could order it."

"Yeah, ya could. But we'd rather ya didn't." Starsky was wanting to get Hutch home and in bed as soon as he could. Knowing they never should have made love, all the activity was beginning to show on his partner. "Since it's late though, how 'bout me 'n Hutch hole up in a motel for the night and do the search of my place tomorrow?"

"Go sit down Hutchinson." Dobey barked, seeing that the fairer of the duo had started to sway.

Starsky bit his lip, finding it hard to resist helping, as his Blintz made his way to a chesterfield and sunk down into it. "He's hurtin' a lot more than he's tryin' ta let on cap."

"You think he needs to go back to the hospital?" Dobey kept his dark eyes on the blond.

"I think it wouldn't hurt, but try tellin' him that." Starsky too, had his eyes locked on his love. "I'm just afraid he might have sprung a slow leak inside somewhere. That rock really took him for a ride."

"Take him to Memorial then. I don't care how much he argues, just do it." Dobey nodded his head. His voice not saying but making his words an order nonetheless. "And go now, there's nothing further for you two to do here..except be in the way."

Starsky was fearfully shocked when Hutch didn't so much as put up a feeble protest about being taken to Memorial. Sweat had broken out in a light sheen over the blond's face as Starsky carefully helped him into the Torino. His hand gently pressed against Hutch's chest he could feel that it wasn't only the beloved face that had begun to perspire.

Starsky had been patched through to the hospital from the car, pulling up in front of the emergency doors there were a few orderlys and Peterson waiting with a gurney at the ready. He quickly filling the now very familiar doctor in on the events of the last couple of days. Peterson scowled at the smaller detective. "Why wasn't he brought in right away?" Strapped in they followed the blond, one on either side of the stretcher.

"He said he'd be fine...that it was just a minor setback." Starsky bit the inside of his cheek, knowing how lame that sounded.

Peterson just shook his head. "Get him to x-ray and then I want an ultrasound done on him." He instructed the nurses as Hutch was turned over to their care. With a large hand holding Starsky back by the shoulder. "You wait here, I'll let you know what we find as soon as I can."

Starsky was surprised to see that he had been pacing for close to an hour when Huggy showed up, paper bag and steaming coffee in tow. "We really havta stop meeting like this...people are gonna talk Starsky."

"I'd love ta stop meeting like this Hug." Starsky smiled taking one of the large covered coffee cups. His nose twitching as he wondered what was in the bag.

"Sandwiches. All I could whip up with such short notice..since they had already been prepared and about to be wrapped and put on sale tomorrow." Huggy answered without being asked outright. "How is he?"

"Don't know yet, he can't take much more of this kind of strain though Hug." Starsky gratefully accepted a ham and cheese as it was offered to him. "Neither can I."

Doctor Peterson arrived back to in the waiting area a half hour later. Starsky and Huggy both springing to there feet. "Well he'll definitely be in here for a couple days at least. That is if everything goes well."

"What's wrong with him?" Starsky was white with worry.

"Well the least of his problems is that he has an incomplete fracture to the left clavicle. It must have hurt like hell for him to get dressed."

"What's the worst? Starsky wished he had gone with his first instinct after his partner was struck and had gotten him here right away.

"This is the area I'm worried about. His intestines haven't been healing as quickly as they should have. After six weeks in hospital he would have been sore, yes, but the blow to his shoulder, even with the twisting shouldn't have opened the wounds. They should have been advanced enough to be firmly sealed. I'm going to give him a few hours, we've got him on clotting medication to see if the leakage will stop on its own, and if not I'll have
no choice but to open him up again."

"Jesus." Starsky sunk down, Huggy sitting beside him draped a lean arm over the tense shoulders.

"There was also evidence of sexual activity. You both should have known that to be a no-no for at least a minimum of six more weeks." The doctor frowned down at the bent head. "The fact that neither one of you used your common sense certainly hasn't helped matters."

Starsky felt his face flush with shame and embarrassment. "Sorry." Was all he managed to utter.

Huggy, head down too, was fighting a bad case of the giggles beside him.

Dobey was getting worried, fully expecting to find a message on his answering machine as to his favored officers whereabouts. Just before heading out the door he paused in front of the phone, dialing the number to Memorial from memory. He was horrified to find out that Hutch faced the possibility of more surgery. Thanking the admissions clerk before hanging up, he hurriedly headed for his vehicle.

Starsky had fallen asleep on the small couch in the waiting room, legs draped over the end. Huggy was on the floor, propped up against the wall, his head dangling down between his knees.

Dobey studied the two sleeping men for a few moments, before reaching down to give Starsky a gentle shake. "Get up Starsky." He managed to keep his rough voice low.

"Wha...huh!!" Starsky bolted upright. "Hutch!?"

"How is he doing son?" Dobey stepped back, allowing Starsky room to swing his legs around.

Starsky briskly rubbed his face. Huggy groaning, also began to wake. "Don't know. What time is it?"

"It's just after seven." Dobey responded turning to sit and taking up over half of the love seat, forcing Starsky to move down a little. "What time did they start him on a drip?"

"About four..eh Hug?"

"Yeah, about that." Huggy creaked as he stood and stretched.

Starsky told him all he knew about Hutch's injuries, telling him also that the doctor seemed concerned as to why his blond hadn't healed as well as he should have.

An exhausted looking Peterson showed up a few minutes later. "He's settled in his room now, the medication seems to have worked remarkably well, he had also developed a slight infection that was preventing one of the original injuries to not fully close. We also started him on antibiotics and he should heal up nicely in no time."

"How long till he can go home this time?" Starsky hadn't realized he had been holding his breath, letting it out in a woosh before asking.

"I would like him to stay at least for today and overnight, but then he'll need to take it easy for the next week or two, we didn't have to do anything drastic. It just worried me that he hadn't progressed further than he had. Now we know the reason."

Losing track of where his target had gone after fleeing the hotel, Moore had alternated between the pair's two apartments. Giving up after several hours he then parked several blocks from the large Captain's house. Seeing the green sedan in the driveway he decided that following the man would be the best way to lead him back on track. He wasn't disappointed, when the bulky man rushed to his car, hanging back a safe distance he followed. His eyes widened in surprise when the Captain pulled into the hospital parking lot. He kept going by, knowing he couldn't afford another attempt on getting the man in the hospital.

He could wait. He was very good at waiting. Having other game to hunt he decided it may be well worth his while to move on for a while before returning. Angry with himself for botching the hit so badly, he thought it best to disappear for a time. Giving the hated blond and his stubborn partner time to let their guard down.

Part 11

Hutch was released two days later, this time with a severe lecture on what he could and couldn't do. During the day, it had been determined that an intruder hadn't entered either one of the detective's apartments. Starsky though wasn't taking any chances, removing all food products and anything that was meant for oral or skin care in both of their homes. Every surface and every item in both places was scrubbed and disinfected.

The manpower shortage soon made it clear that the department couldn't afford to have a 24 hour watch on Hutch. Several officers volunteered to give up some of their days off to sit with the blond while Starsky was on duty.

The days ticked slowly past. Hutch gaining strength with surprising speed. A week after being home he felt well enough to go back to the office, arm still in a sling. Although there had been no further attempts on his life or even the feeling that they were still being watched, the pair though more relaxed, continued to be vigilant in their watchfulness. The Grand Prix was discovered abandoned at the airport. The airport security tapes had been gone over carefully, but as nondescript and as clever as the fallen detective was, nobody was surprised that they're wasn't anyone that was certain they had seen him. It couldn't even be established if he had actually gotten a flight out of the city.

"I wonder why he's pulled a Houdini?" Starsky had again been paired with Randy Dickens, the duo had gotten in from an uneventful day on the streets. Starsky was now sitting on the desk watching Hutch reorganize the filing cabinet.

"Moore?" Randy asked. "Probably got scared off when Ken told him we know who he is."

"I hope you're right...but don't count on it." Starsky continued to watch Hutch. Grinning as his true partner looked in disgust at what had to be a particularly badly organized folder. "What do you think babe."

Hutch took the file to his desk, little scraps of paper threatening to flutter away. "I think he went off to hunt elsewhere. When he's satisfied that he hasn't completely lost his touch then he'll be back. Not to mention he wants us to relax under the illusion that he won't be back."

"Well that's a cheery way ta think." Starsky hopped down to get them all some coffee.

"Pass me that stapler, Randy." Hutch smiled at Dickens. "Thanks."

"No problem. You mean to say that you think that right now he is stalking some other unsuspecting officer?" Randy had taken up Starsky's usual seat.

"Ya got more nerve than a toothache Randy." Starsky grumbled while leaning over to set a cup in front of Hutch. Then another in front of Dickens. He didn't have to wait long for Randy to find a safer place to plant his ass.

"That's exactly what I think." Hutch couldn't help smile as Randy quickly rose offering Starsky his chair back. "The only good thing about that though is that every department in the country is aware and taking steps to hide and protect the next possible victims."

"Worse thing is he has a lot to pick from." Starsky's eyes milked with warmth, grateful that his Hutch was still alive, breathing and sitting across from him.

A month later, Hutch burst through the doors of the squad room waving a chit. "I'm cleared." He had had to have a complete physical before being allowed to return to the streets.

"Obviously." Starsky beamed at him. Pride bursting from his smile. Hutch had even managed to put on a few pounds since arriving home for the second time. "Randy." He turned with a flourish to his temporary partner. "Your services will no longer be required."

"Not so fast." Dobey boomed from his doorway, smiling his congratulations at Hutch. "The three of you get in here." He turned, going back around to sit at his desk.

Dickens couldn't help feeling that they must resemble goslings following after Mama duck, as they trooped into the office one behind the other.

"What's so damn funny!" Dobey asked.

"Nothing sir..nothing at all." The green eyes widened as the smile disappeared from his face.

Starsky and Hutch shared an amused look.

"He struck again last night...Moore, I'm sure you didn't need me to clarify. This time in Denver." Dobey waited for the news to hit.

Hutch shifted in his seat moving forwards. "And?"

"I'm happy to tell you that Detective Sergeant Bruce Strohm is alive and doing well." Dobey briefly smiled. "Fortunately they had one of their most well prepared task forces at the ready. Unfortunately he slipped through the net."

"You sayin' they set this Strohm guy up hoping he'd strike?" Starsky couldn't imagine ever letting Hutch stand purposely out in the open.

"It was well rehearsed and went down according to what they had rehearsed. Not to mention he was wearing a bullet proof vest." Dobey defended.

"Obviously something happened they hadn't planned on Captain." Hutch watched his superior carefully.

"Because of all the others, both hits on you included, they were prepared for an early morning roof attack." Dobey nodded. "He had to have been aware of that...he chose instead to wait for detective Strohm to arrive back home at the end of the day. It was a drive by. He had plenty of time to get away, only his partner was with him, all of the others were long gone."

"So he's gonna keep after Strohm just like he did Hutch." Starsky clenched his jaw.

"They're hoping not. The local hospital there was instructed, that if anyone called and asked, to report that an officer had expired from a gunshot wound." Dobey had wished he had thought to do the same for Hutch.

"Nothing like passing the buck, don't you think?" Hutch was angry, though understood why the higher ups decided to play it that way. "He moves on to the next city."

"Do they really think he'd call?" Starsky placed a calming hand on his partner's thigh.

"They believe he already has." Dobey sighed. "The hospital received a call from a man that refused to identify himself when asked. He hung up after hearing that the officer had passed away."

"I can't say for certain, Hutch, but there is a good chance that he's regained some of his confidence and will come back here." Dobey stated matter of factly.

"Then this time we'll be ready for him." Hutch too, had his jaw determinedly clenched. "I'll need a vest, Starsky should have one too."

"You can't be fuckin' serious!!" Starsky's eyes widened. "If you think for a minute you're gonna make yourself a target...well it's just not happening...No way Cap!" Starsky caught the silent agreement between his partner and his superior.

"There's no way the department can afford to set up task force to be watching him around the clock, never knowing when and if he'll strike again. But I can't see what harm it would be for Hutch to wear a vest whenever he's on the streets."

Starsky exhaled loudly, sitting back he relaxed.

"That's not what I meant Captain." Hutch glared.

"I know that Hutch..but it's the best I can do." Dobey cleared his throat, though tempted to look away from the icy blue daggers, he held his own. "Unless he calls and gives us a time and date that he'll be back. I can't see that happening, can you?"

Hutch broke eye contact. "No..It's just that I hate living like this."

"We all do Blintz." Starsky leaned over to pat his lover's knee. "But I also think the vest is a necessity, I'll even wear one myself just to keep ya happy."

"Excuse me..Captain?" Randy piped up. "Where do I fit into all this?"

"I want all three of you to stick together, at least during the hours you're on duty." Dobey turned his attention to Dickens. "Starsky will have to leave Hutch alone, even if for only for a few minutes. With three there isn't any reason for that to cause added concern."

"Are you okay with that Hutch?" Randy thought it prudent to ask.

"Dibs on the front seat." Hutch smiled then rose. "Anything else Cap?"

Starsky chuckled, also standing.

"That's it for now. Get out there and start earning a living." Dobey turned his attention back to the mess on his desk.

Duncan Moore watched the station from the back seat of the taxi he had hired from the airport. The cabby thought it odd to be instructed to sit a block down from the police station, but with a few glances back at his fare thought it would be in his best interests not to question it. The meter continued to tick away, it was already fast approaching the 70 dollar mark.

"There. Follow that ghastly car." Moore shot his arm out beside the driver's head, pointing at the Torino and the three men getting inside. The third detective putting a crimp in his plan, he quickly revised his strategy.

"How about we make a quick stop for a few donuts...'m starving." Starsky hunched over the wheel, starting the engine. It felt so good having his blond back on duty and once again beside him. He despised leaving him every day at the station, no matter how safe he knew it was.

"Sure." Being an avid eater himself, Randy liked how Starsky prioritized.

"What's in it for me?" Hutch asked with an amused smirk.

"Well since I'm drivin' I get ta pick the spot. I'll get you a bran muffin or somethin'." Starsky grinned, for some reason he found his eyes repeatedly drawn to the rear view mirror and the taxi a few cars behind them. "An' knowin' how you love ta treat, I'll even let you pay for them."

Hutch laughed, already reaching for his wallet. "Gee thanks Starsk."

Randy sat back with a grin, absorbing the heated closeness that seemed to shield the two from the rest of the world whenever they were together. He didn't feel excluded, but did feel that there existed a barrier surrounding the duo that could never be broached.

Starsky threw the car in park, taking the bills his partner handed him, he jumped out of the car. "Be right back, don't take you're eyes offa him Randy."

"I won't." Randy promised.

"Carrot not Bran." Hutch called after him.

Moore had the taxi stop a half a block down. Tossing a hundred at the driver he exited, not waiting for change he made a wide berth around the donut shop. Just as he thought, there was another entrance on the other side. He drew out a handgun just as he slipped up behind Starsky who was studying the menu on the wall, torn between a chocolate dip or sprinkles. "Cry out and you die."

Starsky felt the hard barrel press into his back even before the man spoke. "What do you want?" He kept his voice low though it contained a threatening growl.

"You and I are going to take a walk." He pushed Starsky towards the door he had just used. "I have no beef with you, so don't do anything stupid."

He waited until they were outside before removing Starsky's weapon. "Nice and easy. We're going to go find us a car."

"Something's wrong." Hutch tensed up. He could feel the hair on his arms rising.

"He hasn't been gone that long, Hutch." Randy was looking around the parking lot. "Lot of people here, he's probably still in line."

"No!" Hutch opened the door. "Something's happening." He rushed to the doors.

Randy pushed the seat up and crawled out after him. "Hey wait up."

Hutch's eyes quickly scanned the seating area and line ups. "Check the bathrooms, men's and women's." He hissed already heading for the door on the other side, pushing his way through startled customers.

Drawing his weapon as he ran out the door. He caught sight of the navy jacket and curly head of his partner as it disappeared into a black compact, another man with a gun pointed at his lover ran around to the driver's side. Having just passed his physical he knew the vehicle was to far away, but he gave it his best shot. As he bolted down the sidewalk, the car coughed awake and pulled out. Pedestrians not allowing him to get a shot at the tires to try and slow it down.

Part 12

Hutch almost left rubber as he skidded to a stop, turned and ran like a leopard in the throws of a first rush at a gazelle, back to the Torino. He was out of the parking lot, his speed bringing him up on two tires as he.manoeuvered the car out of the parking lot and turned onto the street. Randy ran alongside and threw himself through the open passenger window. "Keep your eyes on that Chevette." Hutch jutted his jaw towards the small car rapidly getting away from them.

"Got it." Randy managed to straighten himself out, noting that the car in question had just taken a left turn. "He's gone down Elm."

"Put your head between your legs." Duncan said, shoving Starsky forward.

Trying to remain calm, Starsky did as instructed. Though not knowing the reason why the request had been urgently punctuated with a push, he was unprepared for the blow he received at the base of his neck. Collapsing half out of his seat, his head fell to rest on the door's armrest.

"He just turned down Elm." Randy was gripping the dash, eyes squinted on the small vehicle they were chasing.

"Left or right!?" Hutch's lower lip made it's escape from it's ivory captors, a droplet of blood leaving a small trail as it slid over the crevice. The morning rush hour was still in full swing, giving him no choice but to concentrate only on driving. With the siren already blaring he reached under the seat, coming back up he quickly slapped the bubble on the roof of the car.

Randy dropped his left hand down just long enough to flick the switch that turned the mars light on. The flashing lights instantly pulsing to the beat of the wailing alarm.

Moore had turned at every intersection, alternating lanes with each corner he made. His final destination wasn't important; for the time being all he wanted was to put as much distance between himself and the officers he knew were already in hot pursuit. He began to relax as the din from the sirens started to fade off in another direction. Leaning over he gently palmed the back of Starsky's head, relieved that he didn't find any moistness. "I'm sorry I had to do that, but adding that third wheel into the fray left me no choice. You seemed to have hit it off rather well with the guy, so maybe you'll thank me for getting rid of the other. Three in a partnership is a crowd, don't you think."

Not receiving a response, he straightened back up and began to think of where he should take his bait. Snapping his fingers, he grinned pointing the car towards the freeway.

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!!" Hutch spiked out between gnashed teeth, his fist slamming the wheel with each expletive. He had pulled over after driving aimlessly for what seemed like hours, finally admitting that they had lost sight of the other car.

Randy tried not to move a muscle, afraid that if he did some of the wrath in the man beside him would be unleashed on himself. Being partnered with the blond's other half, he had seen the smaller detectives fury morethan once and had been duly frightened by the intensity of it. The blazing daggers of ice blue firing out from the angry orbs terrified him. He was blessedly thankful that he was one of the good guys.

Hutch snapped the siren and lights off, roughly pulling the mars light back. "Call it in that we lost them, Randy." Hutch pulled back onto the street hoping that a black and white had managed to spot them after their previously shouted report over the radio.

Picking up the mic, Randy was surprised his voice box was still in place, he had thought that maybe at some point he had swallowed it in order to block his balls from flying out of his mouth. "I couldn't make out the plate number."

"Doesn't matter anyway, he hot wired it and will probably just ditch it when he's through with it." Hutch continued to glare out the front window. Glancing to his right, he tried to take some of the bite out of his words after seeing the slight tremble in the hand that reached for the radio. "What kind of car do you drive Randy, and is it in good shape?"

"Huh? A chevy...Nova, and yes it's great...only a year old. Why?" Randy could still see ice smoldering in the eyes, but realized that, with the softer voice, Hutch was trying to put him at ease. It worked.

"Good. Because we've got a lot of searching to do, and Starsky doesn't exactly drive a nondescript car. I also don't think mine is up to the task." Hutch tried a smile, not being able to pull it off he gave up, nodding for Randy to make the call.

Moore was pleased but at the same time growing concerned that the slumped form beside him hadn't yet begin to stir since receiving the blow forty five minutes before. Pulling into the open doors of a withered old barn, he hauled Starsky up into a sitting position. Getting out of the car, he went around to the passenger side, peering up at the double lofted ceiling the ragged hole in the roof of the open middle being no cause for concern. The ceilings over both lofts were still solid and would protect them if it began to rain. He stumbled only once while getting the limp man draped over his shoulder. Carefully testing each step on the rung of the wooden ladder he slowly made his way up to the left rise. He had found this structure even before he began to map out the habits of his Bay City target. The house that went with it having long before succumbed to a forgotten house fire, the elements doing the rest. There was nothing left but a charred and rotted pile of debris where it once stood. He had been prepared in each city he visited for this sort of turn of events. Being a police officer himself, he knew that some partners were more tenacious than others. Using Starsky's own cuffs he put them on, deeming that the man would be more comfortable if they were in the front. He then wrapped a corded rope around both the ankles and then the knees, so that when he came to he wouldn't be able to bend down and free his feet. Applying the knots under the legs would also impede any escape attempt, while the ancient straw beneath them would cushion the discomfort. Lifting Starsky's head he gathered more loose straw into a pillow before gently laying it back down, finally shaking out a wool blanket and covering him with it.

Dobey had put out an APB on both Moore and Starsky long before Hutch and Randy returned. There’d been several sightings of cars matching the description, all turning out to not be the right one. A civilian had called in to report their black chevy stolen. "Hang in there Hutch. Are you sure it was Moore?"

Hutch was slumped down in the chair across from the desk, hand partially covering his face, Randy hovering protectively behind him. "I'm positive. Who the hell else would it be?!" Hutch sprang forward, Randy took a step back.

"Easy." Dobey scowled, the brown eyes soft with worry for both his officers. He understood perfectly how his fair detective felt, the stress emanating from him all but crackling around the room.

"I'm sorry Cap." Hutch sighed rubbing both hands over his eyes. "God knows what he's doing to Starsky...I..I can't stand it!" Pushing himself roughly to his feet he leaned into the door, his arm up cushioning his head from the hard wood.

Randy also feared for Starsky, but knew that Hutch was incapable for the moment of staying on course. "He's only using him for bait, Hutch. I think he knew that it would be hard enough to get to you with him around, but when he saw me too? I don't know, but maybe that's what caused him to nab Starsky."

"He's right Hutch." Dobey spoke up. "He's not only not kidnapped before, but he also has never tried to harm any of the other victims partners. And Starsky's no good to him if he kills him."

"Yeah." Hutch swung around his arm dropping to his side. "There's a lot of games he could play on him though. We don't know what other kinks this lunatic is into."

Starsky groaned, his head pounding he squirmed quickly becoming aware that he was bound below the waist before he even opened his eyes.

"How was your nap?" Moore asked cheerily, relieved that the man had finally come to.

"Ooh..where are we?" Starsky moaned. Trying to raise his head caused the throb to intensify, so he lay back down.

"Outside of the city, peaceful isn't it?" He winced in sympathy. "Would you like some aspirin?"

Starsky remained quiet for a minute, his mind reeling as he wondered why the hell his arch enemy was being so kind, almost apologetic. "Yeah..yeah aspirin would be good."

During his last stay here, Moore had hauled up a small cupboard unit and had it nicely stocked with canned goods, utensils and a first aid kit that would make a hospital jealous. A case of bottled water rested beside the unit. "Lay still, I'll have them for you in a jiffy."

'A jiffy?' Starsky thought, Still confused as to why Moore was being so accommodating, he decided to ask. "Why're you being so nice ta me?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Loosing the cap on a bottle of water before opening the aspirin, it was now Moore that looked back with a puzzled expression.

"Aren't ya plannin' ta kill me?" Pounding head or not, Starsky struggled to a sitting position.

"Good God man!!! Why would I want to do that!?" Moore almost laughed. "Hold your hands out as far as they’ll go."

Starsky did as told, three pills were dropped in one palm out of reach of fingers while the water was lowered to be gripped in the other. "You mean you're planning on letting me go?"

"Of course. Not until after I rid you of certain baggage though. I'm sure you'd rather work with just one partner and not two." Moore stood back with his hands on his hips, smiling warmly down at the dark eyes that glittered back up at him.

Fear for his lover springing up fresh and new in his lower extremities, Starsky slowly raised his hands to his mouth, the water bottle pressed against his cheek as he popped the pills in. Silently wishing that Moore wouldn't leave him alive after he was finished with Hutch, at the same time praying feverishly that his Blintz would outsmart the crazy man.

"Until we hear from Moore there isn't a whole lot we can do." Dobey closed his eyes for a moment, a weary breath escaping from his mouth.

"Let us know if he calls Captain. Come on Randy." Hutch twisted the knob and opened the door.

"Where the hell do you think you're going!" Dobey yelled, eyes snapping open.

"I'm going to find my partner." Hutch paused without looking back, just long enough to state before he disappeared down the hall.

Randy stood before the Captain for a moment, unsure of what to do.

"Well what the devil are you waiting for! Go with him!" Dobey shook his head as Dickens rushed out after the blond.

Part 13

Recapping the water, Starsky bent, twisting his arms to the side and set the bottle beside him. Coming back around, he couldn't stop the low rumble as his stomach began to cry for the chocolate dip it's master had been about to decide upon earlier.

"You hungry?" Moore tilted his head to the side, turning back to see what goods he had that would interest his captive.

"Yeah. A little anyway." Starsky watched the man's back, wondering how someone so gentle could at the same time be so evil.

"I have some beef stew...or maybe you'd prefer chilli." A large can was held up in each hand.

"What make?" Starsky decided that if he was going to be a pampered prisoner, he'd milk it for all it's worth.

"Hunts on the chilli and Puritan on the stew." Moore swiveled on his knees, smiling at Starsky.

Starsky grinned back. "I'll go with the chili."

"Thought you might. We'll have the stew for supper." Replacing one of the cans he retrieved an opener and a pot before getting back to his feet. "I'll be back in a few minutes, I'll have to fire up the cooker I've rigged out back." Lifting a leg over the ladder he began a careful descent.

"I'll be here." Starsky stated needlessly. Letting out a deep breath, he looked around the nearly bare loft, as the head disappeared from view. 'Ten minutes' He thought, rolling towards the stand containing the supplies.

"Where are we going?" Randy asked after they had again taken to the streets after talking to the thin man with the unlikely name of Huggy Bear. He had met the thin bartender a few times during his period with Starsky, but felt that the man never warmed up to him. Hutch and his partner though, seemed to share an affinity with him.

"Out of town. It's just a hunch, but I doubt very much that they would stay in the city." Hutch, though still tense, had settled into a quiet yet determined neutrality that set Randy on edge even more than the earlier rage had.

"Any particular area in mind?" Randy leaned back in his seat, his vehicle having been commandeered by the indomitable man behind the wheel, he wished for something to do.

"You have any maps in the glove compartment?" Hutch countered with a question of his own.

"Sure." Randy snapped the door opened and retrieved several maps from the small space. "What am I looking for?"

"All of the small towns closest to the city. He's going to be somewhere in between one of them."

"Any particular reason why you don't think he would be closer or farther away?" Randy asked.

"You're just full of questions, aren't you?" Hutch laughed, the determination and dread never leaving his eyes. "He wants to stay close to me, but keep Starsky out of reach."

"Oh."

"He plans to get Starsky settled and then head back into the city before he makes the call." Hutch added.

"What makes you so sure?" Randy bit his tongue realizing he had again asked a question.

Glancing over, for a moment amusement crossed the pale eyes before Hutch answered, the ominous glitter back in place. "Because that's what I would do if I were him."

Except for his time with the curly headed detective, Randy had worked almost xclusively in vice, before that spent 9 years in uniform. The streets of the city were all he knew. He also knew that although Starsky and Hutch were homicide, that they worked just about every crime imaginable and in all likelihood also had a better idea of how individual criminal minds worked. Unfolding the most detailed of the maps he had, he bit back another question and decided to at least try and help.

With time running out, Starsky was about to give up after not finding a knife amongst the dull edged utensils in the cabinet, and roll back to his place, when he spotted the first aid kit. Quickly opening the lid he nearly cried out in delight when he spotted a large safety pin amongst the various other fasteners. Picking it up, he closed the lid, double checked to make sure that everything was as it had been before he made his small sojourn, then rolled back to where he had started. Pin still in hand he debated where to hide it, finally deciding to slip it under the flat straw a foot away from his makeshift pillow.

Moore came up the ladder even more slowly than he had carrying Starsky, a pot, the contents still simmering, held carefully to the side as he stepped onto the floor of the loft. He grinned seeing the added bits of straw entangled in the wayward curls. "Been busy have we? Find anything useful?"

"Wadda ya mean?" Starsky tried to look innocently befuddled. The smell from the heated chili setting his tummy off on a chorus of anticipation.

Filling two plastic bowls Moore set the pot down. "Let's have a looksie and see if you found anything, I doubt it though. I was careful not to store anything sharp up here." Moving towards Starsky he firmly gripped the brunette's bound hands with one of his own, the other patted and searched every pocket before he lifted and checked out the pile of straw used to lay the man's head on. "Well I guess you were as fruitless as I thought you would be."

"Ya can't blame a guy for tryin', Moore." Starsky smiled bashfully. Hate bubbling through his veins.

Laughing softly, Moore brought a spoon and one of the steaming bowls over to him. "I can't at that. Now eat up, I don't want you to leave here thinking that I was a terrible host. We can chat while we both have our lunch and then I'll have to leave you for a bit...not to worry though I won't be gone more than an hour or two."

Hutch knew exactly where he was going. Spending much of his time before he and Starsky became lovers cruising the highways and sideways aimlessly lost in thought, he was aware of many abandoned homes and outbuildings that dotted the land outside of the city. He knew he would not be able to check them all out in one day, but he was at least going to cover as much territory as he could before having to head back.

Randy had just finished compiling a list of every village within a fifty mile radius of the city. Holding it before him, he arched his back. Being in the car for so long was beginning to wear very thin. "I don't suppose you'd consider stopping to grab something to eat and maybe a coffee?"

"There's a truck stop not far from here." Hutch nodded. "We can stretch a bit there."

Hutch pulled the Nova off the highway several minutes later, following the long lead up to the busy parking area of the rest stop. As the pair entered the roadside restaurant a small black chevette whizzed by, unnoticed by either man, on the other side of the highway. After relieving themselves and then buying a couple of burgers to go with coffee and juice, they were back on the road in less than fifteen minutes. Too long as far as the blond was concerned.

"He's close. I can feel it." Hutch unwrapped the wax paper from the burger on his lap, eyes back on the road ahead.

"How do you know?" After being witness to the invisible link that seemed to join the two men into one being, Randy believed fully that the blond wouldn't be proven wrong.

"He's trying to get untangled..he's stuck not hurt, at least I hope he isn't..just can't get loose." Hutch eyes had drifted to another realm, causing Randy to be at the ready in case he had to take the wheel.

Starsky chuckled, sitting still for a few minutes after Duncan left, marveling at how he was now on first name basis with his arch nemesis.Not hearing the engine any longer he pulled the safety pin from it's hiding place and squeezed the point out of the large cover. His hands became slick and sweaty dropping the needle numerous times as he tried to get the point into the keyhole of the cuffs. Frustration causing him to almost throw it away at one point, he stopped short. His body warmed, starting at a point in his chest and spreading rapidly throughout the rest of him. "Hutch? You on the way babe?"

"Hutch? Hey Hutch...you okay?" Randy tugged at his sleeve.

"Shhh!" Hutch yanked his arm away. "We're closer now." He turned off at the next exit.

Randy sat back, biting his lip and wondering who the hell he had pissed off to place him in this predicament. Vice was cozy, busting hookers and bringing in pushers was easy, comfortable work compared to this, and he wanted to go back. He managed to catch the sign--Welcome to Banton, population 320--before the small town quickly becoming nothing but a hazy memory as they sped on through.

Sweat was pouring down Starsky's face as he tried once again to get the cuffs undone. He dropped the pin at the sound of another engine approaching.

Hutch looked at the secluded barn, the doors propped open by chunks of foundation from the house. Turning the engine off he withdrew his magnum and opened his door. "Slow and easy Randy..he's here, but I don't know if Moore is or not."

"I don't see any other vehicles." Randy whispered also opening his door.

"Doesn't mean a thing." Hutch silently made his way to the barn, his back up against the nearly unhinged door, he peeked his head around the corner, finding that it was indeed empty. Looking up he saw that the loft had been separated, then noted that dust was still floating in the air up on the one on the left. "Starsky!?" He shouted.

"Hutch?!" Starsky beamed with delight. "Come get me outta here, it's okay, Duncan left ta head back to the city and contact you."

Shouldering his weapon, Hutch all but flew up the ladder. Even if one of the rungs snapped it wouldn't have mattered as he barely lighted on any of them. "Oh God! Oh God Starsk." He enveloped his partner in a huge hug, laughing as tears spilled from his eyes.

"I can't breathe babe," Starsky was also laughing. "you're squishin' me."

"Sorry." Hutch pulled back checking his pocket for his cuff key. "Duncan, Huh?

"Yeah we became buddies." Starsky continued to grin from ear to ear. "Ya know Hutch, if he wasn't a cop killin', murderin' son of a bitch, I'd really get to like him." He rubbed his now free wrists while Hutch looked for the knots on the rope. "I wanna nail the bastard in a big way Goldie."

Randy was looking through the cabinet, noting the case of water by the side. "He was prepared for a long haul out here."

"Yeah, he was." Starsky agreed followed by a whump as Hutch flipped him over. "Said he sets up a place like this everywhere he goes."

"Sounds like you guys had a really nice chat." Hutch pressed his lips firmly together trying to undo the knot at Starsky's knees, almost falling back when it came unfettered unexpectedly. "What else did you talk about?"

"All kinds a things." Starsky found himself being gently lifted to his feet. The ankles evidently much easier to free.

"Are you hurt?" Hutch had his hands inside his lover's coat, running probing fingers up the sides, back, belly and chest.

"Stop it! That tickles!" Starsky giggled, wiggling away. "Except for the cuff on the head ta knock me out that's the only time he was plannin' on hurting me, and it's really weird Hutch."

"What's really weird?" Hutch fought to keep his hands down and off his partner.

Randy stood back watching with a grin.

"He even apologized for doin' it. Gave me aspirin and a bottle of water ta wash them down and then he made me a bowl of chili."

"That is weird." Randy said.

"He even made me a pillow before he put my head down." Starsky pointed to the mound of straw a few feet away. "He's stronger than he looks too, I mean he carried me all the way up here. I didn't know about the pillow until after I came to."

"I don't suppose he told you why he's killing blond cops all over the place?" Hutch's brow furrowed looking to the straw, the cabinet and then back to Starsky.

"He did too." Starsky grimaced. "And he seems ta think that it's totally justified."

Part 14

"Yeah well, you can fill us in on the way back to the city." Hutch took Starsky by the arm, and began to lead him towards the ladder.

"Why leave now? We can get him as soon as he gets back." Starsky smiled removing his blond's hand with one of his own. "We just havta hide the car, when he comes back KABAM." He slammed a fist into a palm.

"We don't have any backup." Randy looked from one to the other.

"Three against one...with the element of surprise thrown in?" Hutch's eyes never left those of his partner. "Sounds good to me."

"And just where are we supposed to hide my car?" Randy would feel better having the entire force hiding in the bushes when the fruitcake returned, but could feel the adrenaline begin to pump at the idea of being on the team that would bring down a cop killer.

"Get going down." Hutch motioned towards the ladder. "We'll find a spot, find some places for us at the same time."

"I think it would be best if I stay up here." Starsky climbed over following Randy down. "I mean I'll help figure out where to put the car, not ta mention it'll be nice to move around a bit, but then I'll come back up.

"I don't like it Starsk." Hutch leaned over watching his lover's descent with a scowl.

"I know that Hutch, and I understand it." Starsky tilted his head back and stepped off the bottom rung. "He'll drive right in here, and he'll be expectin' me ta be up there. I can talk ta him as soon as he opens his door and you can sneak up behind him."

"That's the plan?" Hutch grinned, joining his love at the bottom. "Seems kind of anticlimatic after all this guy has put everyone through."

"Just don't blow his head off babe." Starsky smirked. "I know ya want to, I do too, but he'll have a lot more fun in prison, especially being an ex cop and all."

"Nasty Starsk." Hutch laughed. "Fitting. But still not very nice."

"There's an old lane that leads off through the trees. Since he won't be expecting company we shouldn't have to take it down far." Randy popped back in after surveying the area outside.

"Well get to it Randy." Starsky grinned biting his lower lip. "I gotta talk ta blondie alone here for a minute."

"Call Dobey. Let him know that Starsky is fine and that we'll be bringing Moore in with us. Then shut the radio off, we don't need it cracking to life when he gets here and tipping him off."

"Will do." Randy darted off to get into his car.

"What's got him so wound up?" Starsky asked.

"I think I scared him a little when we lost you." Hutch looked away.

"What did ya do, Hutch?" Starsky brought his eyes back to his lover, cocking an eyebrow knowing full well that Randy had witnessed rage at it's finest. "Was he really frightened?"

"I thought he was going to piss himself." Hutch admitted, bringing apologetic baby blues back to meet his life. "What did you need to talk to me about?" He deftly changed the subject.

"Well just wanted to let you know that since ya passed your physical today and are officially back on the streets, I had a special celebration planned for us tonight." Starsky beamed.

"A nice dinner? Maybe a movie?" Hutch smiled back.

"I was thinkin' more along the lines of sex." Starsky licked his lower lip. "Lot's an' lots of it."

"You're a hedonist." Hutch laughed turning pink.

"I know." Starsky now bit his lip, loving it when he made his lover blush. "But that's one of the things you love about me."

"Yeah...yeah it is." Hutch chuckled. "There's nothing about you I would ever want you to change."

"Lets not get sappy now." Starsky listened to see if Randy was coming back. Grabbing one of Hutch's arms he reached up wrapping his hand around the base of the blond's neck, pulling him into a deep kiss.

Hutch groaned, though raised his hands to Starsky's shoulders and pushed him away. "I would really rather not try and explain to Randy why what you had to say in private caused me to get a hard on Gordo."

"I'm sprouting a pretty good woody of my own." Starsky giggled. "He'll be back anytime between now and another hour, Duncan I mean, I better get back on up there and pretend I was a good little captive."

"Be careful Starsk." Hutch turned serious. "I need you."

"Yeah...I know." Starsky felt himself begin to choke up. "I need you too, more than air." He lightly ran his hand over Hutch's smooth cheek then skipped off towards the ladder.

Armed with a warm tingle caressing his insides, Hutch went out in search of Randy and to find where they could best conceal themselves and yet remain as close as possible.

Using a branch, Hutch quickly swept away any trace the Nova left on the dry dusty lane leading through the tall grass away from the barn. "Did you get a hold of Dobey?" He asked as Randy jogged up.

"Yeah. He said there hasn't been a call yet." Randy said. "He also doesn't think that it's a good idea to try and get him with just the three of us. He wants you to call the local sheriff for backup."

Hutch laughed. "He does, does he. Well bully for him, the last thing we need is a bunch of stick-widdling country bumpkins out here."

Starsky laughed, causing both men to jump, Hutch instantly dropping the branch and going for his weapon. "For a nature lover, you don't have a very high opinion of the local law."

"What are you doing out here?" Hutch asked, his heart still thudding in surprise.

"I wanted ta hear what Dobey had to say." Starsky grinned impishly. "If he hasn't called yet, then we've got close to an hour before he gets back."

"You know, maybe he'll want to talk directly to Hutch." Randy then added looking at the blond. "It's just a thought, but what if this isn't where he's planning to do you in?*"

"Because he told me that this is where quote ‘it will finally end’ unquote and I don't think he really cares if it's Hutch that takes the call or not, just as long as he thinks he'll be coming." Starsky answered. "Don't forget, I'm his buddy now an' he thinks he'll be doin' me a favor."

"Well since we have some time to kill, why is it he's taken it on himself to rid the country of blond detectives?" Hutch asked tossing the branch aside.

"Stephen Cochrane." Starsky stomped down some grass before sitting down. "That's the name of the officer that snared him in the bust."

Hutch also sat, taking up a spot close to his partner. "I can understand wanting to get back at the arresting officer, but what about all the others?"

"Apparently, now this is just according ta Duncan keeping in mind that the man isn't exactly the clean mental health poster boy, Cochrane was supposed ta be his partner in his extra curricular activities." Starsky was thoughtfully shredding a piece of grass he had pulled out of the ground.

"And Cochrane had a change of heart and turned on him." Randy joined the other two on the ground.

"No. I bet that they had reason to suspect Moore in the first place and that Cochrane went under to find out." Hutch added.

"You got it babe." Starsky grinned at his lover, wishing that Randy wasn't with them. They had never done it in the grass before and he was very much wanting to right now.

Seeing the hard bulge in the front of the jeans of his devil beside him, Hutch moved forward a little to block Randy's view. 'Behave' he mouthed to his partner. "That still doesn't explain the other murders."

"Sure it does." Starsky wiggled trying to conjure up scary thoughts to make his erection go away. The vision he still had of his Blintz on the table with his guts splayed over him instantly caused it to deflate. "He was doin' the nation a favor, if one fair detective would turn on his partner then all blond's would eventually try and get back at their partners."

"That's his reasoning?" Hutch looked on in disbelief.

"That's it in a nut shell." Starsky nodded. "Pardon the pun."

"That's insane!" Randy added.

"Well we knew from the get go he wasn't exactly completely home upstairs." Starsky shrugged, tapping his own head.

"He'll get off on an insanity plea." Hutch stood, needing to pace. "That's just terrific."

"Maybe not Hutch." Starsky watched as his blond moved back in forth in front of them. "He certainly doesn't think so. The only time he ever got mad at me was when I said what he's been doing is crazy. Took it like it was the biggest insult he'd ever been given."

"What did he do?" Hutch abruptly stopped to look down at his partner, concern instantly shining from his eyes.

"Nothin', just tossed his empty bowl down and ranted for a bit. But I doubt very much that he'd let any lawyer talk him inta pleading insanity." Checking his watch, Starsky also stood followed by Randy. "Like I said it was like it affected his manhood or somethin'."

"What time is it?" Hutch asked, hoping and knowing that his lover's instincts were almost always right on the mark.

"Time ta check back with Dobey. Then we should get into place and be ready, he's not a guy I'd wanna second guess." Starsky headed back to the barn, lightly squeezing Hutch's arm before he left.

"See if you can fluff that grass up a little Randy, I'll go down to the car and see if he's heard from Moore." Hutch whistled as he sauntered off.

Sure enough Moore had called shortly after Dickens had last radioed in, and was assumed to be well on his way back to the country, after leaving detailed directions to be passed onto Hutch. The blond thanked him and hung up, turning the radio off before his superior could inquire if the local sheriff had been called.

"He's on his way Starsk." Hutch shouted up to the loft when he returned. "I brought you something, doubt you'll need it, but you never know." He climbed up a few rungs handing the rifle he had taken from the trunk of the Nova. "I love you." He added before jumping back down then rounding the barn and flattening himself down on the ground, there weretoo many open slats in the barn to risk standing.

Randy had chosen to hide in the brush on the other side.

Less than thirty minutes later all three could hear the sound of a vehicle approaching. All three of them tensing as the excitement began to build.

Moore was grinning from ear to ear, thoughts of which city he would move onto next already dominating his mind. Pulling into the barn he shut the engine off and opened the door.

"That you Duncan?" Starsky lay flattened out on the straw the rifle pointed at the ladder.

"Now who else would it be?" Moore grinned looking up. "I brought you some donuts since I so rudely interrupted your breakfast."

Hutch had slipped in and was making his way carefully around the back of the car, being careful to stay out the man's peripheral vision.

"That's real nice of you Duncan. I am startin' ta get hungry again."

Moore had just begun to climb when he heard the unmistakable click of a gun being cocked just before the metal pressed against the back of his skull. "I got him Starsk." Hutch flung the man around roughly splaying him over the hood of the stolen car.

Randy had moved closer when Hutch had entered the barn, and was right there with his handcuffs at the ready when Hutch grabbed the man.

"You bastards!!" Duncan roared.

Starsky had come down and went to the other side of the car so Moore could see him. "Sorry Duncan, but I can't have anyone runnin' around tryin' ta hurt my partner."

"You're just like Steve." Spittle threw from his mouth.

"No 'm not. I'm not blond." Starsky grinned.

Cuffs on and Starsky's gun retrieved along with a couple of other revolvers, Hutch roughly pushed Moore towards Randy. "Get him out of my sight."Only Hutch would know how close he had come to actually killing the man. With the exception of course of Starsky.

"Easy babe. We got 'im." Starsky had come over and laced an arm around the trembling waist. "Let's get him booked and then get home."

Conclusion

They had taped the confession. Moore had been too incensed at having been caught for him to even consider shutting his mouth and asking for a lawyer. In fact he was indeed proud of what he had done, and was afraid that others may try and take the credit away from him if he didn't blurt the whole story out right away.

Starsky, Hutch and Randy turned the actual interrogation over to a Richards and Blaine, the officers officially in charge of the case to begin with. The long drive with him ranting in the back seat with Randy was more time than any of them wanted to be around him. They were busy getting the reports typed up all three wanting to go home. It was well past midnight before the last form was dropped into Dobey's in box. The Captain himself had been busy fielding calls from the press, silently vowing to find where the leak had come from.

"Well that's it." Starsky stretched lazily. "I'm tired, hungry and wanna go home."

"Do that." Dobey boomed, leaving his office his phone finally quiet. "I'm going to call Huggy later and have him reserve the Pits for police officers only, and since you three are the guests of honor I expect you all to be there tomorrow night." Looking at his watch he clarified. "Tonight. It's time we had a private party of our own."

"We 'll be there Captain." Hutch rose lifting his jacket from the back of his chair.

"Does this mean that we don't haveta come in the next day?" Starsky asked hopefully.

Dobey looked at him balefully. "I don't expect any of you to come in before Wednesday."

The three whooped in unison. Wasting no further time they thanked the Captain and hustled out.

"See ya tonight Randy." Starsky patted him on the shoulder. "And drive safe."

"You bet. It'll be nice to be able to drive my own car again." He laughed giving the blond a light push.

"You might want to have an alignment done on it, pulls a bit to the right." Hutch laughed too.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that." With a final wave Randy walked towards the Nova.

"Let's go home babe." Starsky climbed behind the wheel leaning over to pop the lock on the passenger door.

"What a day." Hutch released a deep breath. "I don't know about you Gordo, but I'm exhausted."

"Another hour or so Blintz then you'll be able ta sleep the day away." Starsky grinned.

"An hour? Neither one of us lives that far away." Hutch looked over.

"Don't you remember we were goin' to celebrate you being back on the street?" Starsky waggled his eyebrows.

"Oh yeah. Sex and lots of it." Hutch smiled.

"Yep, nothin' like a good bone jumpin' ta keep bad dreams away." Starsky pressed down a little harder on the accelerator.

"Shower first Starsk." Hutch said when they got back to the brunette's place. "I don't know about you but I feel like I must reek."

"Same here." Starsky agreed both men stripping down dropping their clothes in a pile.

Taking turns lathering each other up, Hutch twirled his hand in a circular motion for his partner to face the wall. Soaping up his hands again he ran one over the broad back, the other he slid up between the round cheeks, probing gently.

"What are you up to blondie?" Starsky pushed back, bracing his hands against the tiles, the water cascading over his back.

"Not going to wait for the bed." Hutch leaned over lightly nipping a wet shoulder before making small circles with his tongue over the rest of the back, his finger sinking in deeper he soon added another. After the third, he reached again for the soap and quickly coated his cock being careful to keep himself out of the flow of water.

Starsky was moving his ass forward and back his hard-on demanding attention though he didn't dare let go of the wall. "Anytime now Hutch." He gritted out.

Removing his hand Hutch moved forward panting heavily as he slowly pushed himself inside. "You okay hon?"

"No dammit! Will you fuck me already. You're killin' me here." Starsky felt himself begin to sweat as the desire miraculously continued to build, his cock slapping his belly crying pre-cum in it's need.

Hutch began to thrust slowly at first and then with increasing speed until he could feel his balls tighten as his cock swelled further. Reaching around he began to stroke his lover's manhood. Heavy moans, the rush of water and the slapping of wet thighs against an equally soaked ass filled the apartment. Until Starsky screaming his lover's name brought Hutch to ejaculation, his own voice, calling his partner, mixing with each other.

Wrapping his arms around Starsky's waist, Hutch lay over his lover's back, with a wet plop his cock slipped out spent and dangled between his legs. "We have to rinse off." He pulled himself back up, again retrieving the bar of soap this time he used it to lovingly wash the ass he had just assaulted.

"That was damn good Hutch!" Starsky finally found the strength to straighten up and push away from the tiles. "Nobody can fuck like you."

"I could argue with that." Hutch smiled again lathering up his now limp penis. "We're losing the hot water Gordo, get yourself rinsed off so I can get in there."

Starsky had turned around and now leaned forward, his forehead resting on Hutch's chest as he pulled his cheeks apart and let the water rinse him clean. "There ya go babe...it's all yours." Opening the curtain he stepped out of the tub. "Don't be long, I wanna fall asleep with you in my arms."

"I'll be right behind you Starsk." Hutch smiled, quickly rinsing he turned off the water he caught the towel his lover tossed his way.

"Looks like we're early." Starsky looked around the nearly empty bar. Anita and Huggy the only two visible in the restaurant.

"Hey if it ain't the patron Saints of blond cops everywhere." Huggy smiled.

"Hey Hug." Hutch sat on a stool in front of the bar. "What time is the party supposed to start?"

"Seven and since it's not yet six try not to get blotted before your audience gets here. Your hunting buddy is in the can." Huggy snapped the caps off of a couple of bottles of beer.

"Randys here? Terrific." Starsky moved off towards a booth. "Let's eat before everyone starts showin' up Hutch, that way the service will be faster."

"Heaven forbid I should let him go hungry." Hutch grinned at the Bear while rising to follow his partner.

"Order whatever you want, Dobey said he's payin' for the three of you." Huggy shouted after him.

"Come on over Randy." Starsky called when he spotted him come out of the restroom.

"Thought we'd eat now by the sounds of things we'll be tossed around and back slapped for most of the night. Probably not have ta spend a dime either." Starsky set the menu down, already deciding on a t-bone with fries.

"Sounds like a great idea." Randy slid in across from the pair.

"I'm going to have a steak and baked." Hutch picked up Starsky's menu and slid them in behind the sugar and salt and pepper shakers.

"That sounds good to me too." Randy didn't bother looking at a menu. "I think I'll have fries though."

"Atta boy." Starsky grinned.

Swilling back the beer, Randy went to the bar bringing back a jug of draft and three glasses. At the same time telling Anita what they had decided on.

"I think we're all going to be feeling a little rough tomorrow." Hutch moved his and Starsky's empty bottles to the side.

"The most deserved hangovers of the decade babe." Starsky reached down to rub the long thigh. "Let's try not ta drink to much though babe, I still wanna celebrate my way when we get home.

Starsky watch Randy with interest when their meals arrived. "I never had mayo on my fries before."

"It's good." Randy said around a mouthful. "Give it a try."

Starsky picked up one of his own fries and reached over to dip it in the glob of white on the side of Randy's plate. "Hey it is good, try it Hutch."

"I think I'll pass." Hutch grinned happily. "I've got more than enough on my own plate."

Shortly after they finished eating more and more fellow officers began to arrive. Sure enough they spent the evening never being allowed to sit as they were shoved all over, congratulations ringing out over the music for most of the night.

Dobey, and surprisingly enough Edith arrived later with the Commissioner and Chief of police in tow. But when Mayor Richards arrived a respectful silence fell over the bar.

The Mayor had the three heroes join him in the center of the room. And after thanking them and shaking their hands he proceeded to read some of the numerous telegrams and teletypes that had been pouring in throughout the day. Sticking mainly with the ones from the departments that had lost one of their own and the more heartbreaking ones from victims families themselves. He presented them each with an album containing them all, telling them to read them at their own leisure, but to know how very much there efforts were appreciated. "Now lets party!!!" His final words answered by a cheer from the crowd.

"You're expected to be at City Hall the day after tomorrow for a press conference and awards ceremony. Two o'clock on the top of the steps if it's nice, in the West conference room if it's raining." Dobey was grinning from ear to ear.

"We didn't really do anything Cap." Hutch leaned forward so only Dobey would here.

"The hell you didn't!! Lord knows how many other officers lives you saved by bringing this creep in." Dobey drew a few stares from others close by.

"Okay, Starsky and Hutch I can understand, but I know for a fact that I didn't do anything except be the reason that Starsky got kidnapped in the first place." Randy piped up.

"And if he didn't, then we probably wouldn't have gotten him Randy." Hutch said. "And I could by now be just another number on his list. Don't forget that we had to use your car too."

"Enough of the debatin' guys, we're all heroes so lets have fun...besides 'm outta beer." Starsky was looking around grinning as a full mug was handed to him the giver disappearing back into the crowd.

Have fun they did. They danced and sang into the wee hours of the morning, the beer flowed freely no one letting any of the men even set a drink down without having another ready to replace it. Neither partner was capable of celebrating Starsky style after they we're dropped off at home later that night.

"Wuv you Hush." Starsky fell onto the bed trying to get his socks off, and stayed there, a snore escaping.

"Uv ou...oo." Hutch swayed seeing his partner had passed out, thought it was a marvelous idea, with some effort he straightened his lover out, pushed him over and lay down beside him. His own snores joining Starsky's before his head hit the pillow.

End