Title: Dire Deeds in Deadwood

Author/pseudonym: Cappristar (Debs)

Fandom: Starsky and Hutch

Pairing: Starsky/Hutch (slash)

Rating: R/NC17 (don't really no the difference)

Archive: Yes

Feedback: yes

Critique: Gently

E-mail address for feedback:
Montedebs@aol.com

Series/Sequel: No (said that before)

Disclaimers: I don't own them, heavy sigh, only write for the enjoyment of keeping them close to me.

Summary: Real nasty guy blames Hutch for all his woes

Warnings: Not really. Some pain and hurt but nothing life treatening. Also some swearing and of course sex. Can't think of anything else. If there is a death it will be the baddy and I can't see anyone having a problem with that.
:)

Notes: A huge thank you for Michelle for taking such an awesome time away to help me battle through this, and for an undisclosed friend that gave me the idea of having a train in the story to begin with.

 

Dire Deeds in Deadwood
by Cappristar (Debs)

Chuckling happily to himself, Starsky flitted around the small apartment picking up empty and half empty beer bottles, amazed how his partner always looked like a million, but didn't seem to give a damn if the walls were coming down around him. "You’re a slob babe." He uttered, shaking his head he moved into the bedroom to collect the clothing off the floor, thinking he may as well do the laundry while he waited for his blond to come back from the bank. He began checking the pockets just as the phone began to ring. "Starsky."

"Where's Hutch?" Dobey's voice boomed, not needing further identification.

"Well a fine good mornin' Capn'. He ain't here." Starsky grinned, struggling to remove a belt that seemed to be too big for the loops. "What's up?"

"Fred Creely was released this morning, that's what’s up." Starsky could feel the big man's scowl through the line.

"That's impossible. He was in for life." Starsky frowned. His partner had busted Creely during a robbery where another officer was shot and killed. He himself was in the hospital at the time, but had heard that the scum ball threatened to make Hutch's life a living hell when he got out.

Dobey sighed heavily, sounding tired. "He got out on a technicality, I don't know the details yet, but tell Hutch to be careful, he never stopped spouting off about what he was going to do to your partner."

"Don't worry Cap. I won't let 'im outta my sight." Starsky had abandoned the dirty clothes, letting them fall back to the floor as he began to worry about where his partner was right now. Checking his watch he wondered if he would be able to catch Hutch while still at the bank. As soon as the phone was replaced it rang again. Picking it up again he snapped. "Whadda ya want!?"

"Someone piss in your wheaties this mornin' Starsk?" Huggy replied drolly. "Listen up. Creely was sprung earlier, and word has it that he's plannin' ta turn your partner into a golden burger."

"So I heard. Anything else Hug?" The Bear's confirmation only added to his fear, he began to chew on a thumbnail.

"Only that he is in the vicinity and raring to make real his promise. But I'll keep my ears on and my eyes open, you just take care of blondie." Huggy didn't wait for a response, the line going dead as he hung up.

"I got it Starsk!" Hutch beamed as he came through the door, concern quickly replacing the smile upon seeing his partner. "What's wrong hon?"

Starsky flew to the door, checking the landing before shutting it and sliding the bolt. "Creely got out this mornin'."

"Creely? That's ridiculous! He's only done three years, he's in for life." Hutch smiled at his tense bundle, then frowned as he realized his lover was serious. "How?"

"The how don't matter babe, but Dobey and Huggy both called. It's only a matter of time before he figures out where you live." Starsky began undoing his blond's tie. "We'll have ta car shop some other time lover, right now I want ya packed up. We'll stash ya at my place until this blows over."

"I am not hiding Starsky." Hutch creased his brow as he shook his head.

"Yes you are!!" Starsky yelled. "I finally got the one person that means more ta me than anything and everything in my entire life an' I ain't losing ya to some two bit hood!"

"I love you too Gordo." Hutch spoke softly. "But I'm not going to cower under your skirt until he goes away."

"My what!?" Starsky began to laugh, realizing how patronizing he was being.

"I love you more than you'll ever know Starsk, but you really know how to make me feel like some sort of damsel in distress." Hutch wrapped his arms around his partner, nuzzling the warm neck.

"Sorry. I do like ya in basic black though." Starsky was giggling as he pulled away and began to unbutton the blond's shirt. "But you’re two hundred percent man babe, an' you know how ta work it."

"Flattery will get you everywhere." Hutch was fumbling with his brunette's belt, beginning to laugh himself. "You wouldn't be trying to seduce me, would you?"

"Not tryin'. I am." Starsky growled pulling the shirt free and running his hands over the smooth chest.

"Get into the bedroom." Hutch, not so gently, pushed his curly-haired imp away, voice husky and eyes flashing with hunger.

Starsky's erection pressed painfully against the denim, how he loved it the baby blue's nearly glowed with lust, still amazed after all the months that they had become lover's that he was the cause. "This is what I mean by you’re all man." Reaching out he began to tug the blond along with him, groaning aloud as he saw that Hutch had also grown to what had to be a painful degree.

"Don't talk." Hutch whispered, his tone soft although very much an order.

Starsky nodded, toppling over as his legs hit the side of the bed. Hutch pounced, pushing the t-shirt up under the chin, exposing the muscular chest, he loomed over his prize soaking up the sight, then with a moan he descended latching his mouth onto a hard little nub.

"Yessss!" Starsky thrust his hips upwards, clasping the back of the silk covered head, as he tried to push it closer.

One hand playing with the other nipple, Hutch leaned back just enough to undo the offending jeans, slipping his other hand inside he groaned as it re-emerged with the throbbing cock in his grasp. Smiling around the pulsing nipple he moved up to suckle an ear lobe. "I want to be in you." he managed to gasp, Starky's hand had slipped between them to rub the throbbing erection still trapped inside his blond's pants.

"Get 'em off!" It was Starsrky's turn to dictate, almost ripping the button off the tan cords.

Hutch bounced to his feet, quickly stripping down, it was the first time he noticed that he still had on his weapon and leather blazer. Starsky also took the opportunity to sit up and rid himself of his sneakers, stripping off his jeans and tearing the t-shirt over his head, he then grabbed the lube from off the night stand. "Let me?" He asked as he popped off the cap.

"Make it quick." Hutch was on his knees panting, a fine sheet of sweat had broken out over his skin. Closing his eyes he drew deep breaths as his partner lovingly coated his hard-on.

Starsky wiped his hand on the bed before rolling onto his stomach, pulling his legs up under him.

"No." Hutch not so gently rolled him back over. "I want to see you." He placed one of the hair covered legs over his shoulder, pushing the other aside. He used some of the lubricant from his cock to coat two of his fingers, the sensation nearly sending him over the edge. Circling the tight opening he slowly pushed in his ring finger.

"Don't take the time Hutch, come on I want you now!" Starsky was mesmerised by the intense concentration on his partner's face.

Hutch ignored him, knowing that he was big and not wanting to risk hurting his lover. It wasn't long before he had both fingers probing and stretching. Removing his hand he hoisted Starsky's hips up further aligning his cock with the waiting portal, and slowly slid himself home. "Ah babe!!" He groaned, closing his eyes again as he relished the feel of his partner's flesh encasing him.

"Move Hutch!" Starsky reached down to take his own throbbing member in hand and began to stroke himself.

Hutch slapped his hand away as he began to pull and push. Taking it slowly at first, the tempo quickly increased as he wrapped a large hand around his brunette's leaking cock. Both men moaning in pleasure,
Starsky tried to thrust into the sweat slicked hand, knowing that his blond had complete control. He felt the pressure build inside him as he pressed his head back into the pillow feeling his balls tighten for the imminent explosion.

"HUTCH!!!" Starsky bellowed. Cum burst out and over his chest and belly.

Hutch suddenly stopped thrusting, biting his lower lip so hard he drew blood as he erupted. Spent, he bent over the gasping form of his lover, letting the leg topple from his shoulder. "You’re incredible Starsk." He husked.

"Shuddap and come 'ere." Starsky managed to hold his arms out wanting the blond to fill them.

Hutch moved over and down, nestling his head on the sweat matted chest. "That was pretty fast and furious."

"Excellent as always though." Starsky chuckled massaging the drenched head.

"What do you want to do for the rest of the day?" Hutch asked, licking the salty skin. "I was really looking forward to car shopping."

"How much did ya get?" Starsky smiled.

"Four grand." Hutch replied.

"I can't imagine you spending even a quarter of that on a car." Starsky laughed. "That would be a helluva nice wreck babe."

"What are you implying?" Hutch too began to chuckle.

"Face it Blintz. Your taste in transportation runs right along side your taste in domiciles." Starsky could feel his blond frown on his chest.

"What's wrong with my apartment?" Hutch pushed himself up to gaze into the mirth filled cobalt.

"Nothin' babe. I have ta admit that it's you." Starsky pushed the blond's head back down. "I promise we'll go car huntin' when this is over, today I wanna get you tucked into my place. I know ya don't wanna hide babe, but at least lets see when and where he pops up."

"You’re right. Just promise me that you aren't going to baby me?" Hutch grinned. "You will anyway, just try and keep it to a minimum?"

"No guarantees, but I'll try not ta get on your nerves." Starsky kissed the still damp head.

"You may drive me nuts from time to time Gordo, but you never get on my nerves." Hutch pushed himself back up, this time standing. "Lets have a shower and then I'll pack up. I'm surprised Dobey didn't want me to move into a safe house." He picked up his discarded shirt and began to wipe himself.

"He did. My place." Starsky's smile obliterated the lower half of his face.

"Yeah well, you start sitting up and watching me while I sleep and I'm out of there." Hutch threw the shirt over his lover's groin and headed out of the room.

"You'd havta catch me watchin'." Starsky thought he was going to cry as the love he felt for his blond washed over him in a heady rush.

(2)

"It's a little musty in here Starsk." Hutch said as he went through the front door, setting his duffle bag down on the floor.

"Well in case ya haven't noticed I bin at your place for the better part of two weeks now." Starsky glanced back out at the street before shutting and locking the door.

Hutch smiled back over his shoulder. "You complaining?"

"Nope." Starsky quipped scooping up the scattered mail from the floor and heading towards the phone while Hutch went around opening windows. "Even paid a kid down the street to pick up the newspapers for me."

"Hey Hug. We'll be at my place, anything new?" Starsky kept a watchful eye as his blond moved around the apartment as he spoke into the receiver.

"Narry a thing bro', how's blondie doin'?" Huggy's concern oozed over the line, he rarely let it show, but he loved the duo almost as if they were his real blood brothers.

"He's fine Hug. A little perturbed that I'm his self-appointed keeper, but he's taking it rather well if I do say so." Starsky smiled.

"Keep an eye on him Starsk." Huggy voice held a cryptic note. "This guy is one slimy dude."

"I hear ya Huggy." He watched as Hutch looked his way, pulling a couple of beers out of the fridge, nodding his head and reaching his hand out as one was tossed his way, catching it smoothly he winked at his partner.

"Now that you and Huggy both have me pegged as helpless, what's the verdict?" Hutch came around to sit on the couch as Starsky hung up the phone.

Starsky took a spot beside his blond. "Don't get defensive babe, we just want that beautiful bod of yours under guard."

"You really think Freddy is stupid enough to come after me?" Hutch cocked an eyebrow at his partner.

"Stupid and just crazy enough to get away with it." Starsky nodded, worried eyes raking over his blond.

Hutch smiled winsomely. "I doubt he could get through any barrier you've created."

"Well just the same, I ain't takin' any chances babe. Huggy has his ear on the street an' I got ya here with me."

"I know it was me that arrested him, but I wonder why he hates me so much." Hutch pulled on his lip, eyes far away. "I mean why me?" He glanced back over at his partner.

"I think he just needed someone ta focus his anger on, and you happened ta be the first one in sight." Starsky leaned over kissing a soft cheek.

"Lucky me. Hey what are the odds of finding anything to eat Starsk?" Hutch got back up to root around in the kitchen.

"I think the odds are very good that we'll be ordering out." Starsky laughed. "Anything 'cept the beer in the fridge is likely ta have some cancerous growths attached. We'll pick up some groceries after work tomorrow."

"You mean I get to go to work?" Hutch cocked an eye back to his partner. "I thought you were planning to lock me up and bring me out once a year on my birthday."

"Don't tempt me." Starsky snorted picking up the phone. "What would ya like, pizza?" He asked hopefully.

"Sure." Hutch drained his beer and tossed the can in the garbage. "I'm going for a shower." He paused to pick up his bag before heading into the bedroom.

"Don't drown, an' don't get dressed after!" Grinning, Starsky called after the retreating form.

Placing the bag on the bed, Hutch grinned while undoing the zipper. He hated being the cause for his partner's worry, but secretly loved being mothered by his fiery imp. He was still getting used to the idea of
finally being secure in a relationship, and thanking the gods every day for that one night many months ago when they’d realized that they were all each other would ever need. "They broke the mold after making you didn't they Gordo?" He muttered happily, pulling his robe from the sac.

Putting the phone back down after ordering, Starsky again sat back on the couch, eyes automatically going towards the bedroom door. Reliving the night that he and his blond finally got together, he grinned broadly, amazed that he had been granted such a precious gift as his partner. It pissed him off to no end that someone would dare to try and take that away from him. He didn't mean to be so protective, but couldn't help himself when it came to his Blintz. "Ain't nobody going ta take you from me babe." Hearing the water start, he sprung up feeling a sudden need to lather up himself, he began to whistle as he shed his clothes making his way to the bathroom and his prized possession.

Hutch pulled himself out of bed just as the sun was peeking through the blinds. Checking the clock he was pleased to see that they had plenty of time before he would have to rouse his lover for work. It wasn't even 6 AM yet. Relieving himself he decided to shave and shower before starting some coffee that he knew his brunette would be looking for shortly after opening an eye. Dressed only in jeans he had just turned the pot on when a very naked Starsky came flying out of the room, stopping suddenly to sway unsteadily, his hair ruffled and his face sleep squashed. "I thought ya were gone! Jesus Hutch don't scare me like that!"

"Good morning Starsk." Hutch came across the room, enveloping his still sleepy partner in his arms. "Relax will you? I'm not made of glass Gordo."

"I know. I just didn't like waking up and not findin' ya with me." Starsky shuddered returning the hug. "I'll get shaved and cleaned up. Don't go anywhere." He pulled back with a sheepish grin. "I mean it babe, don't move from here."

"Yes mom." Hutch mock saluted. "Tonight I'll cuff myself to you, how's that?" He began to chuckle.

"Very funny." Starsky turned to go back to the room."That's very tempting though." He wiggled his butt before disappearing through the doorway.

"You keep doing things like that and we'll never make it in to work!" Laughing, Hutch called after him.

Hearing the water turn on in the bathroom, Hutch looked around for something to read while he waited for the coffee to perk. Snapping his fingers he went to the front door, thinking that the paper should have been delivered by now. Opening the door, he smiled seeing it lying on the landing. Stepping out he bent down to pick it up, totally unprepared for the soaked rag with the unmistakable odor of chloroform that suddenly pressed over his face. Throwing himself back and struggling to regain his footing he caught a glimpse of the man his partner was trying so hard to protect him from just before he blacked out tumbling down the small fight of stairs.

Starsky came bouncing out of the washroom, dressing quickly his nose quivered at the smell of fresh coffee. Not knowing that his world was about to collapse he was grinning broadly as he strapped on his holster and came out expecting to have a mug ready and waiting for him.

He knew something was wrong, even before he looked at the open front door. "Hutch?" He ran towards the door, fear seizing his heart when he saw the cloth lying on the landing, rushing towards the street he looked up and down before turning and slowly making his way back up to the apartment. Bending at the lower step he spotted a few droplets of what could only be his lover's blood. "HUTCCCCH!" He screamed as his eyes began to fill. Racing back inside he quickly called Dobey. "He's got 'im Cap!"

"What!!? How!? Nevermind!! I'll get an APB started, you find him, Starsky!" Dobey slammed the phone down, not knowing that Starsky had already hung up and was currently flying towards the Torino.

Hutch came to with a massive headache; his face felt raw and was throbbing with pain, lifting his head he looked down, grimacing at the blood his cheek had left on the metal. Although he wasn't surprised to find himself bound in thick rope, he was startled to find that he was in the back of a pickup and not on a very smooth road if the bumps were anything to go by. All he could see were the tops of trees and blue sky. "We're going up." He muttered. Glancing around he could make out the back of his assailants head through the window. The straggly black hair seemed to infuriate the blond. Rolling towards the window Hutch managed to bring his legs up and slam his bare feet into the glass. The high pitched laugh coming from the cab caused terror to form in the pit of his stomach. "Jesus what's he planning to do? Forgive me Starsky." He swallowed thickly hoping that the end would come quick and that it wasn't his beloved partner that would find his body.

"Rumour has it that a white pickup, older ford type was stolen sometime durin' the night, seems the stealer matches Creely's description to a tee." Huggy leaned over the bar, fiddling with a cleaning rag. "How could ya let him get away Starsk?"

Shaking his head Starsky glanced around the empty bar. "I don't know Hug. I went for a shower, he must 'ave just went ta get the newspaper and bam! He's gone." He slammed a fist onto the bar. "We didn't even
know the creep knew where I lived, Hutch probably didn't see any harm in just gettin' the paper. I've been all over the place Hug, I just don't know where ta look."

"I hate ta say this, but maybe it's a good thing. Whatever Creely has in store for Hutch isn't likely to be pleasant, but that may work in our favor." Huggy raised his hand as his curly headed friend blanched. "What I'm saying bro' is that it could buy us some time."

"All I know so far is that he was chloroformed and fell down the stairs. Jesus Huggy he's allergic ta chloroform, makes 'im break out in welts we found that out a few years ago durin' a training exercise."
Starsky choked back a sob. "Christ! His face must feel like hamburger right now."

"This guy's a bit of a hillbilly ain't he Starsk?" Huggy winced at the thought of what the blond was going through.

"Yeah, doesn't come down unless he's planning on killin' a cop or robbing a store." Starsky looked into the warm brown eyes. "What are ya thinkin' Hug?"

"I'm thinkin' that maybe Freaky Freddy took our boy back up there." Huggy tried a reassuring smile. "That way he'd not only have privacy, but wouldn't have witnesses either."

"You’re beautiful Hug!" Starsky sprung off the stool, grabbing the thin face he smacked a kiss on the startled lips before hurrying out the door.

"Hey wait up Starsk! You ain't the only one that loves him." Huggy threw down the rag he was holding, chasing after his friend.

(3)

Hutch lay back and tried to remain calm, he found that lying on his side helped ease the sharp pain shooting up his arms every time the truck hit a pothole. Estimating that he had been conscious for nearly half an hour he was dismayed that they hadn't passed or come across another vehicle on the road. He guessed that his captor knew that would be the case, and thus he hadn't been gagged or at the very least a tarp thrown over him.

"Why don't ya scream pretty boy!" Creely slid open the rear window to shout at him.

"Fuck you!" Hutch spat back.

"Had plenty of that when you sent me up the river cop!" Rage filled the squeaky voice.

"That's not my fault!" Hutch yelled back. "You're the one that killed a cop, what did you expect?!"

"Shut up pig!" Creely braked heavily sending Hutch flying into the back of the cab stifling a yell as he felt his collar bone dislocate on impact.

His face on fire and the pain in his shoulder knifing through him, he knew his lips were blistered and beginning to crack as he spat blood out of his mouth, Hutch thought that maybe being quiet was the best course of action for him to take at the moment. He decided to concentrate instead on the most important part of his existence, his partner. He could picture his Starsky bouncing out to the living room after his shower, anticipating a coffee and getting ready to badger him into stopping for donuts on their way to work. He started to smile, but felt his cheeks and lips begin to split at the small effort. His heart ached thinking of what was now going through his partner's mind, knowing that Starsky would be blaming himself. "I never should have opened that door." he whispered into the metal bed of the truck.

"Dispatch." The tinny voice of the operator came on the line.

"Zebra 3. Patch me through ta Dobey." Starsky held the mic to his mouth, the Torino headed out of town and out of his district.

"Dobey." The Captain bellowed after the connection was made.

"Got Huggy with me Cap', The Bear had a brainstorm and seems ta think that he's heading up into the hills with Hutch." Starsky grinned over at his wraith of a friend.

"Why would he take him way up there?" Dobey asked, already flipping his rolodex looking for the number for helicopter assistance.

"Makes sense Cap. Whatever he's got planned for Hutch is gonna be nasty and need lots a space." Starsky briefly shut his eyes, hoping fervently that his blond was not suffering.

"There's a hell of a lot of space up there Starsky. The odds of being able to spot a pickup are slim to say the least." Though Dobey sounded grim a worm of hope began to circle the big man's heart.

"Trains! Cap, freight trains! Passenger trains! I remember after gettin' out of the hospital and findin' all the threats this guy was spewing that he was also a real train buff!" Starsky set the mic on his knee and slapped his thin friend's leg.

"That might help, but it's still not much to go on Starsky." Dobey's deep voice softened as doubt again began to creep into his psyche.

Starsky sucked in his lips as he brought the mic back up to his mouth. "It's a gut feelin' Cap, help me out here."

"This is starting to sound like something from 'Bullwinkle and Rocky'" Dobey had noted the number for the SAR team and was now picking up his other phone to locate the train companies and their numbers.

"This ain't no cartoon Cap, it's Hutch's life on the line here." Starsky's voice was hushed as he pressed the speak button.

"Pardon the pun." Huggy piped up beside him. Adding when Starsky have him a confused glance, "Train. Line. Never mind." Huggy turned his head away to gaze out at the disappearing civilization.

"Okay Starsky. I'm going to see what I can do, I'll also try and contact all the small town's sheriff's departments throughout the area. Keep in mind that you have no, and I repeat no jurisdiction outside of our precinct."

"Don't need no jurisdiction, just need my partner back." Starsky muttered without sending it over the line. "He harms a hair on his head an' I'll make him wish he was never born. Since he's already done that his ass is grass."

Huggy reached over and took the mic. "Yo Captain. I think our boy Starsky is not in the least worried about the politics of the situation. Can you just get us the info we need? It may make things go a whole lot easier in the long run."

Both Starsky and Huggy could hear the wearily worried sigh come over the line. "Just try and keep his head straight Huggy. If we get him this time he won't ever get out of prison again."

Starsky snatched the mic back. "So how did he get out this time?"

"His lawyer managed to get him transferred to a mental institution, they deemed him sane and released him." Dobey grudgingly admitted.

"Great he robs a place, kills a cop and now is tryin' ta kill another one and the state sets him free!?" Starsky gripped the steering wheel tighter. "Why do we bother."

"We bother because we make a difference! Even if it's not as big as we'd like it to be." Dobey shot back.

"Get on it will ya Capn'?" Starsky nodded, Hutch often said the same thing to him especially when the DA lost a case they'd worked so diligently on.

Hutch glanced at the tree tops, a little surprised that they seemed to be in somewhat of a clearing, he could here the rush of water not faraway. Creely exited the cab and came to the back, popping open the back of the pickup. "Ready to have some fun?" Spittle flew from the open spaces where he was missing at least three of his upper teeth. Rolling the blond towards him he again stuffed a rag loaded with chloroform over the already bloody features.

Hutch's scream was cut off and he barely had time to gag before the drug overcame him again, blissfully passing out. He had no idea that he was rolled out of the truck and kicked repeatedly, before being dragged
towards and onto the covered bridge built for the sole purpose of transporting log ridden trains down from the mountain.

The Torino had spent the last several hours following dirt roads and checking small scatterings of even smaller towns. Both men were scanning the trees and villages for any sign of the blond or a white pickup. Excitement overtook Starsky at one decrepit farm house when he spotted a glimpse of white from inside an even more rundown shed. Disappointment brought tears to both men's eyes when they inspected and found that not only was it up on blocks, but was missing an engine and steering column.

"We just going to drive aimlessly through the hills?" Huggy had barely taken his eyes from the panic riddled driver.

"We're gonna scour every back road and cow path we can find Huggy and then we'll do it all over again if we can't find 'im. Why the hell hasn't Dobey called back with a list of towns where the tracks go through!" He gripped the steering wheel in rage.

"I hate to always be the messenger of misery Starsk, but I highly doubt he'd have Hutch very near a village anyway." Huggy's brow was creased in fear.

"We have ta find out when the trains go through and where!" Starsky bit the inside of his cheek, glancing at his svelte friend.

"How long do you think we have?" Huggy began to pull on his lower lip.

"I don't know Hug, I'm hopin' at least another 24 hours." Starsky again reached for the mic as it crackled to life. "Zebra 3."

"Looks like the only train that will be running through that area will be late tomorrow morning." Dobey's voice came over the waves. "It doesn't make any stops Starsky, but at least we know the route and its ETD. I already have two choppers in the area."

"Thanks Cap. At least it's something." Starsky replied replacing the mic. "Gets real cold up here at night." He mumbled.

"What's that Starsk?" Huggy asked.

"Hutch was only wearin' a pair of jeans." A single tear slipped out of the corner of his eye.

Not knowing what to say Huggy turned sad eyes out towards the passenger window.

Hutch came to with a moan escaping between raw and swollen lips. His shoulder was throbbing and now he knew he, in all likelihood, had a few broken ribs, but it was from the neck up that he found unbearable. He felt like he had a blanket of lava covering his face, cracking his eyes open he could see a wooden roof overhead, closing his eyes again he managed a despairing sigh, feeling what could only be train tracks, digging into his thighs and shoulders, beneath him. Hope surged though as he sensed that Creely was no longer anywhere near him, he managed to twist himself around to tumble between the rails. feeling a wave of vertigo wash over him hearing the rush of water running below. Twisting his head up as much as he could he saw that he was probably dead center of the bridge and wondered if it was possible to get himself off before the next train came through, knowing that with his hands behind his back, he wouldn't be able to get low enough for it to pass over him without having his chest ripped open. Keeping an eye on the sun he figured he made it maybe four feet before exhaustion claimed him just as the last rays turned the inside o
Fred Creely couldn't wipe the smile from his face, the remains of his yellowing teeth standing out starkly from the black beard giving him an almost maniacal look as he drove into the small town aptly named under the circumstances as 'Deadwood' with population 280 under it He found the coincidence hilarious, slapping his knee in mirth as he parked the truck behind a small hotel and bar.

"I don't know 'bout you Starsky, but I could most certainly partake of some grub and liquid right about now." Huggy glanced worriedly over at the brunette, not liking the lines of fear snaking around the dark
blue eyes.

"We'll stop at the next town Hug." Starsky reluctantly nodded. "Maybe we'll have some luck finding Hutch there. What's it called?"

Consulting the map, Huggy looked back with a groan. "Deadwood."

"Terrific."

(4)

Hutch was shivering violently when he next came to in pitch blackness, the persistent whine of insects drowning out the roar of the water surging below him. Taking deep breaths he thought that at least the cold air felt good on his cracked face, he could still feel blood oozing from some of the wounds, but for the most part the blood seemed to have dried forming a tight crust over his features. The mosquitoes were feasting happily on the exposed flesh, their repeated bites nearly driving the blond insane as he began to inch his way down the track, counting each tie as it scraped and splintered over his back, he paused suddenly hearing a low growl coming from the end of the bridge. "What now?" He muttered, clamping his mouth shut recognizing the powerful voice of a mountain lion, knowing instantly that the smell of blood must have drawn it down for a look. Hutch could sense the big cats hesitation in stepping onto the bridge, and hoped desperately that it would decide that the prey wasn't worth the effort and move along. The cat seemed to hear his prayer, letting out the air he hadn't known he had been holding after hearing the rustle of bushes going away from him and not the soft padding of paws coming closer.

"Can we get a couple of rooms for the night?" Starsky asked the plump little woman behind the bar.

"I can give you one to share, there's two single beds in it." She replied sizing Starsky and Huggy up disapprovingly. "Cash up front, fifty to be exact." Though no more than five feet tall she still managed to look down her nose at them.

"That's pretty steep for being in the middle a nowhere." Starsky didn't hide the dislike from his voice.

"And that's exactly why we can charge it buster, take it or leave it." She glared at Huggy.

"We'll take it. How 'bout a couple of menus?" Starsky inched down the bar, blocking her view of The Bear.

"No need, you can't have anything hot the grille has been shut down, most you can get is sandwiches." A slight smile crossed her face seeing the anger boil in the brunette's eyes.

"What kind?" Starsky congratulated himself on not exploding as he hissed between clenched teeth.

"Roast beef." Her eyes never wavering from the icy glare shooting across at her.

Letting out a pent up breath Starsky gave up. "I know. Take or leave it. We'll have two, mine with mustard and mayo..Hug?"

"Just the mayo for me Starsk." Huggy spoke for the first time since they entered.

"What are the odds of getting a couple of beers to go with that?" Starsky thought they would be slim to nadda.

"That I can do, if you’re not opposed to draft."

"Great. Now we’re gettin' somewhere. Two drafts with the sandwiches then. An' I hope you're not plannin' on spittin' in them 'cause I've about had with ya lady." Starsky smiled without a trace of sincerity.

"Uh..What my friend means is that he hopes there won't be too much head on top." Huggy piped up, worried that Starsky would get them thrown out.

"Of course not, we’re famous here for scraping it off, this is why we have the most popular place anywhere for miles around." Her voice blossomed with pride.

Nodding his head, Huggy took Starsky by the arm and ushered him to the nearest table. "Not to mention it's the only place for miles around." he uttered, Starsky snorting a real laugh.

"No need ta burst her bubble Hug." Starsky pulled out the chair and sat down heavily. "Hutch must be freezin'." Elbows on the table his eyes wandered to gaze out the window into the black of the night. Neither man took notice of the grubby man slithering out of a back table and sneaking up the stairs to the rooms.

The unfriendly woman came over roughly setting their plates and beer in front of them. "You get up to the rooms by those stairs." She nodded towards the back, both men turned to look, capturing a glimpse of work boots going quietly up.

"Six!" Hutch spat out, stopping and trying to relax as sweat ran out of every pore on his body. "Well Hutchinson it's not your favorite idea of how to stay warm, but at least it's working." Visions of being snuggled under the covers with his partner swam behind his closed lids as a few tears slid out disappearing into the heavy sheen of perspiration. The salt stinging his face, he again began to shake as the night air cooled his soaked body. With a sniff and a groan he realized that it wasn't just sweat that soaked his jeans and that he must have pissed himself while still unconscious. He could smell the acidity and knew that he was becoming severely dehydrated on top of everything else. Opening his eyes to stare at nothing, he vowed to try with every fibre of his being to get out of this, there was no way he was going to let his Starsky find him torn to shreds if he could help it. He knew that his brunette would be frantic with fear and blaming himself for his disappearance. "Not your fault babe." He whispered into the night, slowly inching his way back down the track.

Starsky was up and already showered before Huggy cracked open an eye. One look at the detective and The Bear knew that the man hadn't slept a wink. "Suns barely up bro'." He struggled to a sitting position.

"We don't have much time left Hug." Starsky replied in a dead tone.

"Give me five minutes Starsk and we'll be out of here." Huggy stood stretching before going off to have a shower of his own.

Starsky didn't bother looking up. "Make it two Hug."

Nodding, Huggy hurried his pace. Coming back still dripping he pulled on his clothes from the day before. "I'm ready."

Thudding down the stairs the duo were pleasantly surprised to see an older gentleman behind the bar. Grinning a toothy greeting the man looked at them like he was the loneliest creature on the planet. "Good morning boys!" He quickly came around the bar offering his hand. "I'm John Smith, and that's the honest to god's truth." He pumped Starsky's hand furiously.

Starsky couldn't help get caught up in the man's warmth and grinned back. "Dave Starsky, this here is my friend Huggy Bear."

"Ain't that something and I thought my name was a bit hard to take." He turned his attention to Huggy.

Reaching into his back pocket Starsky pulled out a couple of slightly rumpled photos. "Excuse me sir, but have you seen this man." He showed him a picture of his beloved.

"Nope. Would have remembered a pretty boy like that. My heaven's yes the ladies would have been swooning over that one." He studied the photo before Starsky showed the next one. Creely's prison mug shot.

"Oh my yes he's been here, just left not more than twenty minutes ago. Seemed he was in a big hurry too, kept rambling on about a accident going to happen on the Jonas bridge. I named it that myself." His smile widened.

"Where is this bridge?" Starsky demanded his eyes flashing with a mixture of emotions, not the least of which was excitement.

"It's a goodly clip up the Hudson road, that was named after my second cousin." Jonas frowned, wondering why the boys in front of him had tensed up and were beginning to bounce around. "It's rough going, nobody really goes up there unless its the youngin's looking for a pretty place to make out." The grin was back as he winked slyly.

Huggy whipped out his map as Starsky ran to the phone on the wall near the entrance. "We'd greatly appreciate it if you could point out the route Mr. Smith."

"Not a problem son, just let me get my glasses. I have to say that you won't find much up there though." He took the map from Huggy, laying it out on the top of the bar, going behind the counter he bent down, coming back up with his glasses and a black marker.

"I'm hoping I'll find my everything up there." Starsky muttered frustrated that the dial was taking so long to come back around before entering the next number. He couldn't contain the huge grin on his face hearing his Captain's voice after the first ring.

Hutch managed to crane his neck around. Breathing heavily he was elated to see that he was nearing the end of the bridge. The sun had begun to burn his flesh almost from the moment it had risen and he could feel blisters starting to form over his chest. He estimated that it was about mid-morning and was beginning to marvel at how luck had remained with him, at the same time sensing that he didn't have much time left to make it to safety. Gulping air he struggled on, fighting to remain alert as wave after wave of dizziness flowed over him. A low rumble shook the tracks slightly, terror froze him knowing that the dreaded train was on it's way. Frantically he tried to increase his pace, panic actually slowing him down.

Starsky and Huggy thanked Jonas as they flew from the hotel. Starsky prayed feverishly that Dobey would be able to get a hold of the company controlling the train and get it stopped before it was too late. He hoped the road wasn't as rough as the old man had declared it to be as he pushed the Torino to it's limits following Huggy's sharp directions.

Hutch could hear the unmistakable blast of an air horn as the bridge began to shake in anticipation of the oncoming load. Pushing himself over the next tie he screamed in agony as the broad nub of a spike dug into his left shoulder blade. Then over the loud clamor of the on coming he train he thought he heard the slamming of a car door and his name being yelled over the din.

Starsky braked suddenly, going as far as the Torino could on the dirt road. He barely had the car in park before leaping from the seat running towards the bridge. He couldn't yet see the train, but could hear the screech of metal on metal. Screaming his blond's name as he raced towards the entrance, knowing that the train was trying to stop he also knew that it took them a long time to do so. He made it to the entrance, nearly bursting into tears at the near unrecognizable sight of his Blintz. "It's okay babe.'M here." His hands slipped on the sweat slick skin as he tried to grip Hutch by the arm pits and pull him out. The train was unbearably loud as it roared around the corner.

"Get off the tracks!" It took everything Hutch had left to yell up at his brunette.

"No way! We die we die together!" Starsky bellowed back. Noting that the train was moving very slowly as it entered the far side of the bridge. Starsky swung around, dropping down on the blond trying to shield his
life with his own body. Several minutes went by before Starsky dared lift his head, turning around he couldn't believe it when he saw that the train was unmoving, the front almost touching their feet. He began to laugh and sob, kissing Hutch's forehead. He barely registered that Huggy had begun to pull him off Hutch and tried to get him to his feet.

"We got him bro'." Huggy was grinning from ear to ear. His own tears threatening to spill from the soft brown eyes. "Chopper trying to land."

Starsky nodded happily, shaking Huggy off, gathering Hutch into his arms. The loud whir of the helicopter blades breaking the silence from the stilled train. "I got ya Hutch, everythin's gonna be okay now." He was rocking back and forth, his prized bundle pressed tightly to his chest.

Hutch breathed in the scent of his partner, melting in the warmth, his wounds forgotten as he slipped into blackness with a smile ghosting across his face, knowing his partner would take care of everything.

(5)

"Get 'im untied Hug." Starsky ordered, trying to peer over his blond's shoulder to see how bad the shape of his back was in. He had already taken in the dislocated shoulder and had no doubt that Hutch also had more than a couple of fractured ribs.

Huggy didn't hesitate to comply, tossing the offending rope away he stripped of his jacket and lay it over the ties, quickly stepping back, the sight of the dirt, blood and raw flesh causing his stomach to heave. "Done Starsk."

Starsky gently eased Hutch back down. He reached a hand towards the encrusted face, and severely cracked and swollen lips, hovering just over, afraid to touch. Instead he sucked in a breath taking in the
sunburnt body, Hutch's forehead had begun to peel, but it was the shoulders, chest and abdomen that had him scared. He cursed himself for probably being the cause of so many of the blisters popping. The front of his shirt was soaked as many of them continued to leak over the scarlet torso. "I'm gonna find 'im Hutch. I promise you that babe. I'm gonna find 'im and he'll pay dearly." The tears continued to fall as the paramedics pounded towards them, leaving the gurney at the end of the bridge.

Starsky's eyes never left the inert form of his lover. "Can you take the Torino back Hug?"

"Already planned to do just that bro'." Huggy too hadn't taken his eyes off the blond as the medical team quickly prepared Hutch for transport.

Horror filled Starsky's eyes, for some reason it was the sight of the insect eaten ankles and feet that hit him the hardest. 'He didn't even have a chance ta put on shoes.' He thought clamping a hand over his mouth to
hold back the bile rising from his belly.

"When I get the chance, I'll call Dobey and let him know we got him and that he's on his way to Memorial." Huggy placed a thin hand on the broad shoulder.

"We'll do that from the helicopter Hug. Just get there." Starsky whispered and then followed the crew carrying his life towards the gurney, after strapping him in and loading it on the chopper he didn't look back as he hopped in to sit beside his blond's head.

Dobey was pacing outside the hospital, waiting anxiously for the arrival of his two favorite detectives. The landing pad was just far enough away so that he deemed he would be a nuisance when they landed. He had no idea what kind of shape Hutch was in, but knew it couldn't be good and prayed that, short of death, it could have been a whole lot worse. He had received a call from Huggy shortly after receiving the news from the air that Hutch was on the way. He was dismayed that Huggy had choked up trying to describe what his blond detective looked like. He knew that as big a heart that The Bear had, it took a great deal to get him to express emotion. Shielding his eyes he looked up at the whup whup of the chopper's blades as it began it's descent. A small mob of hospital personnel running out to meet it.

The gurney lowered from the craft, the team ran with it towards the double doors of the emergency ward, Starsky running along side. Dobey, surprisingly agile for his bulk, raced after them. Starsky was roughly held back by security from entering the treatment room, he didn't fight, knowing that it would be useless having been here many times before.

"Starsky!" Dobey barked.

Starsky shrugged off the hands holding him, and with a final glare at the two approached his Captain. "I swear Cap' I'm gonna find 'im."

"Every jurisdiction in the state is on the alert to keep their eyes out for him." Dobey stared at the closed door of the room that contained the fairer half of the duo. "How is he son?" He tore his eyes away, taking in the stained shirt and blood smeared hands.

Starsky too hadn't stopped watching the doors as if they could tell him what was happening inside. "He's a mess! How the hell do ya think he is!"

"I'm going to ignore that Starsky, but know that you’re way out of line." Dobey's thunderous voice was surprisingly soft.

Starsky instantly regretted the outburst. "I'm sorry Cap. He..he..he's bin out there all night nearly naked! He's half eaten alive from the bugs and his face looks like road kill from the chloroform... He's burnt an' I don't know what else he's got busted besides some ribs an' collar bone." He clamped a hand on top of his head, pulling at a large clump of curls. "He pissed himself." He added in a hushed voice bringing his eyes to meet the warmth of his superior's. "He's gonna hate himself for doin' that."

"He'll know it couldn't be helped." Dobey studied his darker haired detective, wondering which of the two he should be more concerned about.

"This is Hutch Cap. Knowin' it won't help." Starsky sunk back against the wall.

At last count Dobey figured he'd been to the cafeteria and back four times for coffee. Starsky had barely moved, only going to the washroom once, and making it back in record time at that, blood washed from his hands. Both men sprung to their feet, Starsky up before Dobey made it half way as a stretcher bearing Hutch was moved into the hallway. The Captain put a restraining hand on Starsky's shoulder as the blond was slid past closing his eyes after catching a glimpse of the antiseptic smeared tatters of his officer's face. "Let's wait to see what the doctor has to say."

Starsky brought a hand to his mouth, biting the back of it. Re-seating himself he let his eyes follow the path his lover was taking without him. After the elevator doors were closed he didn't look up, not seeing the sneakers he was staring intently at, trusting his Captain to make the next call. His eyes finally lifted after feeling the body beside him rise.

"Are you both here about Mr. Hutchinson?" As each man sprung up he held out his hand. "I'm Dr. Mathews. Please sit." The man was dark like Starsky, only his hair was thicker and plastered to his scalp as if he didn't give a damn what it did.

Starsky tensed up not liking that the Dr. looking after his Hutch was dressed all in green and not the usual white he was used to, but couldn't help feel a wave of reassurance at the man's easy manner. "When can I see him?"

"Starsky." Dobey ordered quietly.

"It's okay sir. He is being taken up to his room now. I have to say that with all he's been through he is very, very lucky. He has a dislocated collar bone, which we put back into place. He has several broken rib.."

"How many!" Starsky cut in.

"Four." The doctor continued all but ignoring the interruption. "The sunburn we can deal with easily enough, did you know he was allergic to chloroform?'

Dobey and Starsky both nodded their affirmation.

"Well. Needless to say his face is a mess but should heal. I don't know how much scaring will result though."

"None!" Starsky blurted. Both Dobey and Mathews cocked eyebrows at him. "I'll get some Aloe Vera from Audrey Vin." Realizing how he must sound he blushed and then clarified. "Hutch had me use aloe Vera when we first found out about the allergy, it works on him like magic."

"Who the hell is Audrey Vin?" Dobey looked around realizing that his voice carried down through the corridor.

"It's his biggest Aloe plant." Starsky answered sheepishly. "He didn't wanna call her Vera...thought it was tacky."

Mathews smiled. "Well good. Anyway the bites, although they look intimidating will disappear in a few days. The swelling of his feet and ankles will probably linger a little longer, for some reason they seemed to find them more attractive than the rest of him. Which by the way was a good thing. I don't think his face could have taken a whole lot more punishment-Audrey or not." The young doctor grinned. "All in all he's in bad shape, but nothing permanent. Like I said he may have a bit of scarring, but should be back on his feet in a week or so. The ribs will take longer to heal, as will the collar bone, but there is nothing permanent."

"Anything else?" Starsky wasn't quite sure the doctor was telling them everything.

"Starsky!" Dobey warned, relieved at the good news and not wanting his detective to spoil it.

Mathews looked into the cobalt eyes, marveling that they seemed to sense so much concerning his partner. "He has a severe rash around his groin. He is badly dehydrated and the urine he expelled was incredibly thick and acidic. We won't be putting a catheter in though, it would be too painful, but he will have to use a pan or bottle for the next couple of days."

"I'll be stayin' with him. You have an extra bed in the room?" Starsky's intense stare caused the normally unshakable Doctor to look away.

"I'll make sure there is." He conceded, noting that the detective had barely taken his eyes from the elevator doors.

"Can I see him now?" Starsky still hadn't torn his gaze away from his blond's last passage.

"Room 409. It's a private room arranged by your Captain." He nodded at Dobey. "But I'll have another bed moved in within the next hour."

"Good." Starsky hurriedly walked away, the Captain close behind, after quickly thanking the doctor.

"You didn't have to be so rude Starsky." Dobey watched as the brunette punched the button for the 4th floor.

"I didn't mean ta be cap. I just wanna get in with Hutch. He's scared." Starsky stared at the floor indicator as if he could urge it to move faster.

"He's not scared, he's unconscious and keep in mind that the doctors and nurses aren't the enemy son." Dobey replied as the elevator stopped and the doors opened.

"Right now, there are very few that I don't see that way." Starsky paused, his eyes dark with danger as he leveled his gaze at his superior before stepping off and into the corridor.

For all his haste to get to his partner, Starsky couldn't help pause outside the door. Taking a deep breath he slowly pushed it open, Dobey standing a respectful distance behind. Slipping into the room he nodded towards the nurse as she looked up, making final adjustments to the bedding folded neatly at the blond's hips. Dobey quietly thanked her while holding the door open for her to leave the room. Starsky stood motionless over the inert form, breathing deeply he tried to quell therage building inside. "He's gonna pay cap." He whispered, tentatively reaching out to wipe away a few pale strands from the sun reddened forehead. Lightly touching the gauze shrouded face he turned back to look at Dobey. "He's gonna pay big time."

(6)

Hutch turned his head towards his partner, sensing his lover's presence before fully awakening. Slowly opening his eyes, the blue startling against the red skin a lone tear escaped while watching the dozing face of his lover in the soft glow of the desk lamp.

Starsky looked up suddenly, feeling he was being watched, he was still unprepared to see the beautiful blue eyes smiling at him in adoration. "Hi babe." He whispered.

Hutch moaned softly his throat feeling like sandpaper as he tried to swallow. "Stars.."

"Easy Hutch." Starsky sprang forward his hand gently caressing the silken head. "'M right here an' not goin' anywhere." Starsky had moved from beside his blond only long enough to grab a shower and change into the clothes that Huggy had brought in for him. The Bear had promised to watch over Hutch and to yell if he began to stir.

"Hurt." Hutch closed his eyes with the effort of trying to speak.

"I know babe. I know. Just don't try an' talk okay. I'll get some ice chips. Do ya want some ice chips?" Starsky swore softly under his breath after grabbing the pitcher and seeing that the jug he had kept so diligently full throughout the day was now nothing but water. Pressing the call button repeatedly, the nurse didn't even make it in the room before he ordered her to get some more ice and quick.

The nurse came back with her nose slightly out of joint. "Make sure he doesn't have very many, I'll see if I can get a doctor up here right away." She handed over the container with a scowl.

"Fine." Starsky didn't even glance up and scooped up a couple of bits of ice with his fingers, pressing them gently to the swollen and cracked lips until they slid through. "That better Hutch?"

Hutch nodded once, parting his lips slightly, hinting for more.

"Kay. But not too many Hutch you heard the lady, until the doc sees ya I don't wanna do anything that'll make ya sick." Starsky happily prattled on as he slipped a few more bits into the waiting mouth. "Doc says that you'll be outta here maybe by tomorrow, and that you'll be fine in a week or so."

"Itch." Hutch managed, again closing his eyes.

"I know Blintz. Hey! Want me ta rub your feet and ankles?" Starsky beamed, bouncing to his feet. Thinking that if he couldn't take the pain away from his partner he could at least ease some of the discomfort.

"Do...don't tic..tick..tickle." Hutch rasped out his eyes glittering with warmth beneath the pain.

Starsky chuckled, pulling the bedding from under the end of the mattress he gently began to massage the swollen ankles. Knowing that the swelling and itching would mostly disappear in the next day or two didn't lessen the boiling anger that rose turning Starsky's face red, he ducked his head so that Hutch wouldn't see how upset he was. He tried to lock on to the fact that his blond had managed to show a sense of humor even with all the agony and the nightmare he had just been through. "Feel good babe?" He dared to look up, feeling that his face had cooled somewhat.

Hutch nodded in affirmation, his eyes clouding with worry. He hadn't missed the rage that had sprung to the indigo eyes before the wavy head lowered obstructing his view. 'Feels too damn good hon. I'm sorry I'm putting you through this. ‘Hutch thought, about to close his eyes again when the door opened, the hall lights causing him to squint, which in turn caused him to suck in a sharp breath as he felt the strain on his
damaged facial muscles.

"For Crissake shut the damn door!!!" Starsky barked seeing the reaction his Blintz had to the sudden brightness. "I'm sorry." The young doctor quickly shut the door behind him. He had been warned about the
partners, and their unbelievable bond, so although the abrupt command from the darker of the two came as no great surprise he was still momentarily stunned by the harshness in the voice. "How is he?"

Starsky looked up as the doctor walked past towards the head of the bed. "Take a wild guess doc. How the hell do ya think he is?!"

"*Starsk!" Hutch shook his head, pale eyes pleading with his lover to tone it down.

"Sorry Hutch." Starsky lightly squeezed the tender ankles in apology.

The young doctor found himself standing quietly watching the pair, he shivered from the electricity that seemed to ripple and snap between the two detectives. They seemed to communicate far more without words, as if they had one mind and two bodies to express it with. Clearing his throat he held firm against his instinct to run from the feral look in the dark eyes that came up to meet his own hazel ones. "I know I'm not his regular doctor Mr. Starsky, but I am the resident on duty. He's not in any danger right now and is expected to make a full recovery in a very short while."

"That's what you think!" Starsky needed a target for his immediate anger and the young pup before him was the perfect prey.

"Tyin..t..hep." Hutch's nostrils began to flare. Knowing exactly how his lover's anger could quickly get out of hand, he struggled to try and sit up. "No Starsk."

Starsky's eyes instantly softened, his attention fully back on his partner. "It's okay Hutch…it's alright okay? 'M sorry babe lay back down." He went back to the head of bed petting the downy hair. It was himself he now wanted to pummel, his heart wrenching when he spotted a few droplets of blood soaking through the gauze.

Hutch sunk back down, a long breath hissing out from the semi-parted lips. Closing his eyes, he knew that his temperamental tomcat would behave. Though the pain was starting to get bad, the medication wearing off, Hutch knew he had over exerted himself and that he wouldn't be able to stay awake much longer no matter how much he hurt.

Starsky sat back down taking a large hand in his own, he stared at his blonde, noting every nuance and twitch, knowing that Hutch was rapidly falling back asleep. When the much loved chest began to rise and fall evenly he tore his eyes away to look back up at the still silent physician. "I owe ya an apology doc. I tend ta get a little snarly when someone hurts my Hutch." He kept his voice soft so he wouldn't re-awake his
reason for being.

"Accepted. My name by the way is Kendal Richards, I understand his name is also Ken." Letting his guard down a little he approached the opposite side of the bed.

"Kenneth." Starsky turned his eyes back to his lover.

The young doctor nodded sensing that the dark haired man wanted to be left alone with the sleeping blond. He couldn't help feel a little envious of the obvious devotion Starsky had for his partner and friend, having no doubt that if their roles were reversed he would find the exact same from the other. "He isn't due for anymore pain relief for another half hour, but if he can sleep through until then hopefully he'll be able to make it all the way through the rest of the night." He kept his voice equally soft, almost giggling with the vision of disturbing the slumbering man and having the protector lunge over the bed to strangle him. 'Man I need to get more sleep!' He thought before adding. "I'll make certain that he gets the dose on time. If you don't mind me saying, it wouldn't hurt you or him if you managed to get some sleep also."

"Thanks doc." Starsky looked back up, regretting again that he had been so harsh with the young man. "I'll see how he is after the next shot and then think about resting myself." His interest once again centered on his partner.

Richards moved towards the door, wondering how quickly he could get it open and slip out before the light disturbed either of the men.

"Hey." Starsky quietly called.

Turning back around Richards looked at him expectantly.

"I am really sorry I snapped like that." Starsky's eyes leaked sincerity.

Smiling the doctor responded. "Sorry? For me, you or him?" He nodded his head towards the bed.

"Him, me an' then you." Starsky grinned back.

"That's what I thought." He chuckled softly. "I'm going to try and get out of hear as fast as possible so the light doesn't bother him."

"Just a sec." Starsky got up and scrambled around the bed so his body would shield Hutch from the glare, satisfied with his position he stated softly. "You can go now."

The doctor paused briefly, staring briefly at the back of the brunette's bent head, before disappearing through the door, closing it softly behind him.

Starsky stood at the window, alternately staring out into the night and gazing back at his cherished jewel. Like clockwork a nurse came in carrying the utensils needed to administer another dose of relief. Dark eyes
seemed to gather every particle of light as they glowed in the semi-darkness, following her every move, a dark head nodding in the shadows a flash of white completing his silent thank you as she prepared to leave.
"Atta boy!" Starsky congratulated Richards with a smile and a notch of respect, noting that the hall lights had been dimmed before the nurse entered, he quickly came back to his seat by the bed.

The door cracked open slightly and a somewhat harried voice came through. "Starsk! Ya in here bro'?"

Starsky bit back the guffaw about to escape his mouth when he saw the heavy looking leaves of a lush plant enter the room with rust colored velveteen sheathed legs. "Get in here an' shut the door Hug." He sprung up and around the bed to take the dearly loved Audrey from his overwrought thin friend. "Did ya bring a knife and a bowl?"

"Is the pope catholic? Of course I did. After what I had to do sneaking in here with little miss puffed petals here, must you also try and hurt my feelings too?" Huggy feigned his best look of outright indignation, while pulling the instruments from the oversized pockets on his checkered blazer.

"Cut a coupla the bigger leaves near the top Hug, but not real big cuts an' catch the juice in the bowl." Starsky was about to start removing the gauze from his lover's face when he pulled back suddenly, vividly
picturing the dried blood pulling causing the damaged skin to pull away with the airy material. "Keep an eye on 'im Hug I need ta wash my hands."

"You think we need anymore?" Huggy asked when Starsky re-emerged from the washroom.

Starsky took the proffered bowl and shook his head, deeming the bottomful as plenty. "Did ya..."

"Right here ma'man." Huggy grinned waving a small plastic bag stuffed with cotton. "You want me to work this side and you the other?"

"No Hug. Thanks anyway. I need ta do this myself." Starsky noted the slight tremble in his hands as he took and opened the sac shaking several of them loose to land on the bed within easy reaching distance. He took up a couple, soaking them liberally with the nectar from his Hutch's favored child. Dabbing the swathed face as gently as he could, Starsky didn't stop until every portion of the covered wounds were saturated along with the exposed though damaged lips. Huggy was forgotten as he lovingly administered to his blond, lightly chanting over and over again, his voice barely heard in the still silence of the room. "I love you."

(7)

Satisfied that the adored features were sufficiently coated, Starsky sat back with the bowl. Looking down he was surprised to see how much of the wonder lotion still remained. "Think maybe you need ta use the can or see if a coffee machine is nearby Hug?"

"I don't need to go Starsk, and I got us a Thermos full of Java right here in my bag." Huggy frowned, wondering why his friend seemed to be trying to get rid of him.

A smirk crossed Starsky's face casting a pointed star at first the bowl and then his blond's genitals. "Sure you don't feel the urge ta pee Hug?"

"I..um..I..well now that you mention it I probably could freshen up some." Huggy hurried towards the washroom causing the brunette to have to bite back a snort.

As the door closed behind the Bear, Starsky lowered the bedding down to just above Hutch's knees, hissing through his teeth at the sight of the inflamed skin covering the blond from mid thigh to just above where the covers now lay. "Aw babe! That's gotta hurt like hell." He gently lifted his lover's cock, coating the underside and as much of the scrotum he could reach, then lowered it lovingly back down to work on the sides and top before moving on to cover the rest of the bright red flesh. Knowing it wouldn't be fair to have Huggy holed up in the bathroom while the aloe took time to soak in he sprung up, all but tossing the now empty bowl and cotton swabs down on the end table, and pulled the meal tray over, placing it directly over the glistening groin. He pulled the bedding back up as far as it would go, though because of the height of the tray,he had to tuck it in lower than where it had been originally, just above the slender hips. Walking
towards the washroom he surveyed his art work grinning he congratulated himself on his ingenuity. Rapping on the door he called softly through the wood. "You can come out now Hug."

"You finished with him?" Huggy asked before turning the knob.

"He's all set Hug." Starsky smiled, turning to go back and reclaim his seat by the bed.

Huggy opened the door, cautiously sticking his head around the frame to look at the figure on the bed. Cocking his eyebrows he sashayed out. "Nice tent Starsk."

"Thanks Hug, I kinda like it myself." Starsky replied smugly pleased with himself.

There was a light knock at the door, Starsky and Huggy both jumping as they looked first at the door and then at each other. At Starsky's shrug, Huggy moved to open it.

"I hear he woke up earlier." Dr. Mathews entered the room as Huggy stepped aside, closing the door after him. Pushing Huggy's chair aside he stood beside the blond gently taking the swollen wrist in hand he consulted his watch checking the pulse. "He's good and strong." He smiled over at dark lion perched on the chair across the bed.

Starsky visibly relaxed and sat back returning the grin. "The toughest." Starsky agreed. "What are ya doing in here so late doc?"

Holding up the pager, Mathews tiredly responded. "I'm Duty dick this week and was called in an hour ago, thought I'd check and see how he was doing before heading back out." He tilted his head towards the blond. "Mind if I ask why he has a little house built over him?" He glanced at the covered bed tray and back to the sheepish brunette.

"I put some aloe on his rash an' wanted ta give it a chance ta soak in." Starsky explained jutting his chin out in defiance.

"Ah. That would also explain the goo covering the gauze." The doctor nodded grinning broadly. "So Miss Vin has already come to visit then I take it?" Spotting the plant on the nightstand he reached out to lightly feel a thick leaf. "Why don't I remove the wrapping, so to speak, and let her have better access to work her magic."

"You really think that's a good idea?" Starsky audibly gulped. Huggy seemed to shrink back at the doctor's words.

Mathews regarded both men reassuringly. "It's the best thing for the wounds actually, it will allow the skin to breathe easier and encourage faster healing. Have either of you ever noticed that a cut..say on your finger heals much more quickly if it is only rinsed and a cloth or tissue held long enough for the bleeding to stop, than if you wore a bandage?" He began gently peeling off the broad patches, the job made all the easier by the liberally applied coating.

"Hey yeah! Come to think of it I do recollect finding that out in the distant past." Huggy was rubbing his chin nodding in remembrance.

Starsky wanted very much to run from the room at the same time standing and moving closer, needing to see what the unravelling would reveal.

"Uh..Starsky? Would you mind if I skipped this part of the show? It's gettin' pretty late and I have things that need doin'." Grabbing his jacket, Huggy had already made it to the door, trying desperately to get out
before Hutch’s face was uncovered, not wanting to get a second glimpse of what he had witnessed at the train site. "There's some sandwiches in the bag along with the coffee."

"Go ahead Hug and thanks for bein' here with me." Starsky briefly tore his eyes away from the unveiling to smile gratefully at his thin friend.

"Can't think of where else I needed to be more Starsk, I'll be back tomorrow, just try and get some shut eye yourself. And tell Hutch when he wakes that I'm thinking of him." With that he was gone before Starsky could form a reply.

Hutch began to moan trying to turn his head away from the unwelcome feel of strange hands near his face.

"It's okay Hutch. Doc Mathews is just takin' off the bandages." Starsky immediately placed a hand on his lover's forehead.

"Starsk?" Hutch instantly calmed at the sound of the much loved voice and soothing touch of his brunette.

"Right here babe." Starsky grimaced his eyes focused on the closed lids of his blond, taking in the patches of damaged flesh the removal was making visible.

"Nee..need.." A dry tongue slipped out trying to coat the cracked and swollen lips.

"Ya need ta pee Hutch?" Starsky nodded encouragingly.

"Uh huh."

"There are urination bottles in the cupboard below the nightstand." Mathews informed Starsky, lowering his voice he added. "It's going to hurt like hell." He stopped what he was doing making to dismantle the tent and started to move the tray out of the way.

"Could ya leave that there Doc? I think he'd have an easier time if he had some semblance of privacy. I can work around it" Starsky was bent over about to open the small door.

"Of course. Sometimes us doctors think only in more clinical terms and forget about the dignity of their patients, I try not to do that, but admittedly am guilty from time to time." He smiled slightly abashed and
moved the table down a little towards the end of the bed. "I'm going to sit him up, it may be easier for him if he feels more in control." He slowly began to crank the bed up.

Starsky found the bottles easily enough and quickly uncapped one. Pulling the chair towards the center of the bed he sat on the edge, lifting the covers up he slipped both hands under tray. Handling the still slick cock as little as possible he gently placed the head in the container. Semi-prone, Hutch hadn't tried to say anything else, though the distorted lower lip began to tremble.

"Would you like some ice Ken before trying?" Mathews had already taken a small spoon and held it near the slightly opened mouth. With a nod from Hutch he slipped a few tiny cubes in.

"Kay Blintz lets give it you're best shot." Starsky didn't like the way his blond still hadn't opened his beautiful blue eyes. It was almost as if he was afraid to see. He could feel the tender rod rise and pulse in his
palm at the same time he heard the sound of liquid meet plastic. It started out slowly at first and then began coming out in a heated rush. Starsky found that he had no choice but to tighten his grip as the slender hips began to thrust in agony.

"Ahh..Noo! Starsk..Ahh..God it urts!" Tears began to escape from behind the tightly closed lids to run in a steady stream down the temples as Hutch threw his head back.

Starsky blinked repeatedly as his own eyes filled, fear for his partner rising as his lover continued to thrash, it didn't help to look up and see the Doctor was holding Hutch down by the shoulders. "What the hell's wrong with 'im!!!" He almost screamed.

"It'll be over soon." Mathews panted back. "Besides the rash he has a kidney infection, his urine feels like it's scalding."

True to his word the flood quickly died down to a few droplets and then nothing. Starsky gave the cock a little shake to clear it of any remaining drips and then gently pulled the bottle away and lay the organ back
down, being careful not to spill any as he removed the container and re-capped it. Hutch was breathing heavily, some of the wounds on his face in places leaking anew.

Starsky bit his lower lip, hovering over his lover. "Think ya can open your eyes babe?"

With a slight nod Hutch slowly lifted the lids, the light blue peeking out, pleading for help, to peer at his partner.

"Try and relax Ken. In a little while I'd like to lower you back down and see if I can get a good look at your back." Mathews motioned for Starsky to hand him the urine bottle and made his way to the door. "I'll be
back shortly, but don't worry about staying awake, sleep if you can." He brushed a stray lock from the peeling forehead.

"That was pretty horrible eh Blintz?" Starsky picked up the large hand gently massaging the bruised wrist, his own eyes filling anew as he got his first good look at the damage done to his life's face.

Hutch nodded his eyes now open fixed worriedly on those of his brunette. "Itch." he pressed his chin as close to his chest he could get it.

"Hang on a sec Hutch." He hopped up and quickly snipped Audrey collecting more of the juice. He began to coat first the shoulders, then as much of the chest as he could not being able to do anything about the raw flesh under the bandages holding his blond's ribs in place. Finishing up he set the bowl back on the table. "That help?"

"Yeah." Hutch took a deep breath, his tongue again popping out to touch his lower lip.

"More ice?" Starsky moved around to the other side of the bed to retrieve the jug, scowling when he saw most of the ice had melted.

"No, otter." Hutch turned his head to the side pointing with his eyes to the small cup. Starsky instantly bringing it up so his lover could drink.

Dr. Mathews came back, this time not bothering to knock. "Okay. Are we all set to see how the other half of you is doing?" He smiled warmly at Hutch.

Cobalt met cyan affirming who the real 'other' half of each other was.

(8)

"Think you can help him to sit up?" Mathews smiled at Starsky, already knowing the answer. "Or would you prefer if we got you over onto your belly?" He turned his attention to Hutch.

"Sitting up will be fine." Hutch looked at Starsky, doubt that he could do either one evident in his eyes.

"Don't worry Blintz, I'll have ya." Starsky reassured with a tender smile, slipping his hand under the blond's neck the other he used to grip an upper arm. "Okay. Now try and stay stiff babe, and let me pull you up."

Mathews had Hutch on the opposite side and together they quickly had him in an upright position. Hutch had closed his eyes and was gritting his teeth against the agony of feeling, what seemed to be, every bone and fibre in his body, groaning in displeasure.

"You got him?" Mathews asked Starsky.

"Always." Came the soft reply. Starsky crawled onto the bed and straddled Hutch's thighs, being careful not to put any weight on them. He pulled his lover's head and torso towards him to hold them firmly against his own chest. He could feel the aloe moistened scabs as Hutch lightly nuzzled his neck. He frowned as the heat radiating from his blond's skin threatened to scald him through his t-shirt, and smiled sadly when he felt the arms come up to wrap around his back.

The doctor had lowered the bed back down, and had come back to sit sideways at the head. With a pair of small scissors, he cut away the bandages that were covering the broad shoulders and back, being careful not to cut the ones holding Hutch's ribs in place.

Starsky's eyes never wavered from the doctors every move, until Hutch squirmed and moaned into his flesh when the wrappings were removed. "S'okay babe." He kissed the top of the fair head, his eyes welling up
at the sound of the small sob and the feel of warm tears trickling down his neck.

"Coming along very nicely." Mathews was nodding in approval. "You’re a fast healer Hutch."

Starsky peered over, blanching at the sight. "Ya call that comin' along nicely?" The entire area looked like a bruised and torn mess.

"I assure you David, it looks a great deal worse than it is. He had a lot of splinters on top of the scrapes, but they are all just surface injuries and the bruising will fade over the next few days."

"When can I take 'im home?" Starsky asked, thinking that Hutch being able to leave the next day was looking somewhat suspect.

"Sometime tomorrow afternoon." The doctor was applying antiseptic to the battered back and shoulders. "Another twelve hours of pumping him with fluids and he should be ready to go. That is of course if we can get him to eat, we'll try that in the morning. Right now we're giving him antibiotics for the kidney infection intravenously, but I'll be giving him a prescription for when he's released."

"Seems kinda soon doc." Starsky looked at the physician warily.

"There isn't much more we can do for him here Dave, he has a far better chance of not catching anything else if he isn't here." Mathews chuckled. "The best way to get sick is to visit a hospital. Now I'm not going to re-bandage this Hutch, I'm just going to put some padding on the bed." He rose and placed 2 square foot thin pads where Hutch's upper back and shoulders would be. "Okay. Let’s lower him down again."

After that ordeal, it wasn't long before Hutch closed his eyes, letting the soft banter between the doctor and his brunette lull him to sleep. The doctor didn't stay much longer, and Starsky sat wearily back onto his chair. He cast a tired glance at the bed behind him and decided that now would be a good time to try and get some sleep, thinking that if he took his baby home tomorrow he would need as much strength he could get. Stripping down to his underwear and leaving the t-shirt on he crawled in leaving the desk lamp on, not wanting Hutch to wake up afraid in thedark.

Starsky was up, showered, dressed and back in his chair when a candy striper came in bearing the Blond's first meal in what seemed to be forever. Starsky couldn't believe all that had happened in just a few short days. Giving a cursory smile as the young lady left he rose and went around to inspect what type of fair they were feeding his lover. Lifting the lid he was impressed to see eggs, toast, milk, juice and a small box of raison bran. "Well this ain't so bad blondie, ya should like the cereal anyway."

Hutch had been watching Starsky, amusement and love sparkling in his eyes. "Go ahead Starsk. I don't want anything."

"Jesus!" Starsky jumped, the lid clattering back over the meal. "Ya tryin' ta give me a coronary Hutch?" He grinned moving up to land a light kiss on the damaged lips.

"Can you sit me up Gordo?" Hutch asked wishing he could kiss back.

"Sure can babe." Starsky bounced to the end of the bed and began to crank it. "An' it’s too bad whether ya want somethin' or not, if ya don't eat I can't take ya home. So guess what?" Finished he came back, pulling the food table with him. "You're gonna at least eat the cereal an' drink the juice."

"No juice Starsk, it'll hurt my mouth." Hutch shook his head slowly back and forth.

"Never thought of that. Hey you can talk a lot better today though." Starsky gave himself a mental kick for not thinking that the acid would sting the tender flesh. Opening the small box he dumped the contents into the bowl and opened and poured the milk over top.

"Thanks. I feel a little better. Still hurt everywhere." Hutch followed every move his partner made with rapt interest.

"Yeah I know babe." Starsky paused briefly, looking at his lover, trying to gauge how much pain he was in. "Someone should be here soon to help ya with that." He picked up the bowl and spoon and turned to sit on the side of the bed, mixing the cereal in the milk before filling the spoon and raising it to his blond's mouth.

"I think I can feed myself Gordo." Hutch stated blandly.

"Not today ya ain't. I want those wrists of yours to take it as easy as the rest of ya." Starsky swooped in for another feather soft kiss. "You won't be doin' a damn thing until I think you’re ready."

"Oh brother." Hutch rolled his eyes and tried to chuckle. "Can you help me go again Starsk before I try to eat?"

"Sorry Hutch! I never thought ya might need ta, geez! I'm goin' ta havta get a lot better at thinkin' ahead." Setting the bowl and spoon back on the tray he sprung around to get another bottle and quickly went to the door to lock it on the chance of someone walking in and embarrassing his blond. It wasn't long before Hutch was finished, he had clenched his jaw but hadn’t cried out this time around. "Still burn?" Starsky asked sympathetically while re-capping the bottle.

"Yeah. But not nearly as much as before." Hutch tried to smile, then thought better of it.

After washing his hands Starsky was pleased that Hutch managed to finish off almost the entire bowl. Shortly after that someone did, in fact, show up to give him some pain meds, this time in pill form. It only took a few minutes before Hutch could feel himself start to float away, his last thought was of how much he hated the sensation.

Starsky went out in the hall to use a pay phone to call Huggy. The Bear promised he would swing by Venice place and collect some loose clothing for Hutch to wear home. That done he hung up, meeting Mathews as the doctor came down the hall. "Don't you ever sleep?" Starsky smiled, falling into step beside him.

"Funny I was going to ask you the same thing." The doctor grinned back. "So how's our boy doing this morning?"

"Terrific, he even ate his cereal. Didn't want anything else though except water." Starsky prayed that was enough.

"Good to hear. He won't want anything substantial for a few days, but that was a good start. Lets see how he does at lunch time." They had reached the door and Mathews pushed it open, allowing Starsky to precede him into the room.

After seeing the blond and checking his vitals, the doctor told Starsky that the IV would be removed within the hour and that he would have the release papers ready for 2 o'clock that afternoon. Lunch came and went, Starsky having to cajole and threaten his blond into eating any of the dull looking mystery meat covered in a dark goo.

"That was horrible Starsk." Hutch turned his head away from the fork holding another mouthful. "No more. Please?!"

"Oh! Alright ya big baby." Starsky grinned before popping the morsel into his own mouth, he was starving not having anything to eat except a couple of candy bars throughout the day. "Yuck!!" He spat it out onto
the plate. "Jesus Hutch! No wonder you were whining." He picked up the jug and poured himself a glass of water downing it quickly he refilled it and held it up so Hutch could drink. "I'll make it up to ya tonight Hutch, I promise."

"It's okay Starsk. We've both been in here enough to know we haven't been coming back for the food." Hutch managed after taking a few healthy swallows of the cool liquid. "Could you help me up? I'd really like to see if I can make it to the washroom."

Starsky was about to protest until his indigo eyes took in the determined thrust of the strong jaw and the pleading look in the sky blue eyes. "Ya really think that's wise Blintz?"

"Probably not. But I'd really like to try." Hutch again tried to smile, this time with a little success, the second coating of aloe that Starsky had applied earlier seemed to have started working it's magic. "I promise that if I fall flat on my face not to say you didn't warn me."

"Like that's gonna happen." Starsky beamed back. "You want me to pull you up like before?"

Hutch nodded, relishing the touch of his lover's hand once more at the back of his neck.

Starsky easily pulled his blond into the same upright position as earlier, not letting go of his hold he waited while Hutch took a few deep breaths, then gingerly moved his legs until they dangled over the side of the bed. It took a great deal of effort from both men, one to grip the blond tightly, the other to hang onto the brunette, in a slow shuffle, a sad parody of a romantic waltz, they made it together. Hutch gasped for breath before he could relax enough to relieve himself, once again Starsky held the full penis and aimed for him. After the long journey back to the bed, Hutch slept for the next couple of hours, waking when he heard the
unmistakable voice of Huggy.

Shortly after Huggy had shown up and with a great deal of manoeuvring and manipulation he and Starsky managed to get a pair of sweat pants and a loose fitting T-shirt on Hutch. Both men were sweating though impressed that they had gotten it done with minimal discomfort to the blond.

"Well babe. I got your walkin' papers an' we're outta here!" Starsky held one of his blond's hands as a nurse arrived with a wheel chair.

"Goodbye room 409." Hutch took a last look around the room. The nurse, Starsky and Huggy stood ready to help him into the chair.

(9)

Hutch fought the dizziness that kept sweeping over him, it was making him nauseous. His stomach rolling, he leaned his head back against the seat drawing deep breaths in through his nose and out between the slightly parted lips.

"Yo Starsk. I think blondie up there is about ready to loose it." Huggy piped up from the back seat.

Starsky was already fully aware of what was happening beside him, and had increased the speed as much as traffic would allow. "Want me ta pull over babe?"

"No." Hutch continued to stare straight ahead, sweat was beginning to bead on his forehead, afraid he'd feel faint again if he tried turning his head. "Could you just get me home. Please Starsk."

Starsky bit the inside of his cheek a film of concern darkening the deep blue eyes. The hushed voice and barely heard plea twisted his soul. "You got it Hutch." He reached over grabbing the mars light, changing hands he pushed himself up to slap it on the roof then flicked on the siren before stretching his arm across to bring his blond's hand back to rest on his thigh. His own hand remained over it, squeezing occasionally for the rest of the short journey.

Even though it was farther away, Starsky had decided that Hutch would feel more comfortable, plus be able to relax more freely at Venice Place. The brunette, himself, was loathe to go back to his place. He knew he would never again be able to fetch the morning paper without remembering the horror his love had endured.

He turned off the lights and siren, not bothering to pull in the mars light, his hand was off his partner's far too long as it was. Braking slowly he stopped in front of the apartment building and reached over the
wheel with his other arm to put the Torino in park and then shut off the engine. "We're here Blintz."

Hutch gulped and blinked repeatedly. "Give me a sec.." He gasped out between sharp breaths.

"Take as much time as ya need babe." Starsky felt his own stomach begin to churn, his with fear for his blond, he didn't think that Hutch was ready to be discharged and at the moment would like, very much,
to choke the reason why he was out of Mathew's throat. Instead he reached over to gently cup the back of his blonds' neck.

They sat in silence, two sets of worried eyes never leaving the fair detective. Finally Hutch lowered his head and brought it back up a few times. With a small smile he turned to his lover. "I think I'm ready now Gordo."

"You sure bro'?" Huggy asked from the back. "Don't rush on our account." He didn't think the blond looked anywhere near ready to go anywhere except back to the hospital.

"Yeah. I'm sure." The partners continued to lock eyes, until Starsky, seemingly satisfied, gave a curt nod and opened the door, hustling around to open his blond's. Huggy was left to lean the seat forward and struggle out behind him.

"Wanna grab Audrey Hug?" Starsky's question held the hint of command as he helped his lover from the car.

"Don't you want me to help with him?"

"Nope. I got 'im Hug."

"Jesus! Will you two stop talking about me like that!" Hutch rasped, standing he wrapped his arms over his brunette's shoulders needing to lean heavily on him as a wave of vertigo splashed over him and pain flared everywhere. "I'm not a sack of potatoes." He began to shake dropping his forehead on Starsky's shoulder, trying to burrow in he could feel his brunette lift his chin trying to make more room.

"It's a good thing you’re not too babe. I'd take you over baked or mashed any day." Starsky had the slender hips in a vicelike grip, his lover's trembling quickly brought his hands around to encase him in a firm embrace. "Let me know if I'm hurtin' ya Hutch." He turned his head to the side so he could press his cheek against the downy head.

"Sorry Hutch. I guess with you being out of it the last while, it'll take some getting used to having you back in the land of the livin'." Huggy drew up short, his skin lightening at the daggered glare Starsky shot at him. "Sorry Starsk. Bad choice of words." He looked down at the plant and then back up. "How 'bout I take this on up and open the door, then come back. Least I can do is help make sure neither one of you fall down the stairs."

"Okay Hug." Starsky smiled in gratitude. He was beginning to think he might need help with his precious bundle after all.

"I don't think I can do it Starsk." Hutch voice, barely above a whisper cracked as his shoulder heaved with a sob.

Starsky fought the panic that tried to blank his mind as he struggled to think of how he could get Hutch up the two flights of stairs. "It's alright babe, please don't cry Hutch, it kills me when ya do that. Don't worry, I'll think a somethin'."

"I figured we might need this." Huggy returned, the plant replaced by a kitchen chair. "I checked the stairway is wide enough, we can carry him up.

Starsky could feel a tear of his own trying to decide if it should tumble. "You’re beautiful Hug."

Starsky had just lowered Hutch down onto the chair when a black and white pulled up behind the Torino and two burly uniforms got out. "Captain Dobey sent us over here, said you might need a hand sir." The driver said, coming around the car.

Starsky grinned, both officers looked like they couldn't have been on the force more than 2 years 3 tops. They had the thunderstruck look of hero worship written all over their faces as their gazes alternated between Starsky and the battered Hutch that he and his partner continually got a kick out of. "Your timin' couldn't be better boys."

After hasty introductions, it wasn't long before the four of them had Hutch up the stairs and, with some awkward manoeuvring into the apartment and finally the bedroom.

"Well Steve, Sam, I can't thank you enough for helpin' us out here, I hate ta ask you to leave, but I really need ta get Hutch settled." Starsky shook their hands, leading them to the door.

"That alright sir, we have to get out there anyway. If you need us just give a holler." The one Starsky thought was Sam said.

They look so much alike they could be twins, Starsky thought before the words had sunk in. "Wadda ya mean holler?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"We'll be right outside sir, Captain Dobey ordered round the clock protection for Sgt Hutchinson." This time it was, maybe, Steve that replied.

"Glad ta hear it." Starsky beamed, but was starting to bounce in his need to get back to Hutch. "If ya need coffee or wanna use the bathroom come on back up."

A few more thank yous and the pair were gone. Starsky, breathing a sigh of relief thought if they called him sir one more time he would have screamed. Rubbing his hands together he almost skipped back to the bedroom, stopping suddenly when he saw that Huggy had already gotten Hutch onto the bed. "How'd ya manage that Hug?"

"Seems our boy collected a burst of energy from his ride, other than help him up I really didn't do anything." Huggy grinned with pride down at the blond. "I do believe though that he's in dire need of some happy pills."

"No kiddin'." Starsky sat on the edge of the bed fishing the small bag of tylenol 3's and antibiotics from his jacket pocket. "Would ya get 'im some water Hug?"

"You got it Starsk." Huggy headed towards the kitchen.

"I'm real proud of ya babe." Starsky moved closer to his love. "Real pissed off at Mathews though, ya never should've had ta go through this."

"Glad we're home." Hutch opened his eyes the baby blues conveying that it was worth it if only for that. "Love you Starsk." A couple more tears slipped out to run down the pink cheeks.

"Here Starsky." Huggy whispered, handing the glass of water over. "I'm gonna go putter around in the kitchen."

"Thanks Huggy." Starsky smiled taking the water, although he didn't take his eyes away from his Blintz. "I don't know what Hutch an' me ever did ta find a friend like you."

"Aw Starsky! Now don't you go gettin' all mushy on me or I'll have to find a reason to leave the city let alone just the room." Huggy feigned a look of disgust.

"Okay Hug." Starsky looked up with a wink. "It's true though."

"That may be, but I'd just a soon not hear about it." Huggy grinned before turning and leaving again.

"Open your mouth babe." He popped two of the yellow pills in when Hutch Complied, then gently lifted his life's head and let Hutch drink his fill before slowly lowering him back down.

"You won't leave?" Hutch hated the fear he heard in his own voice and knew his eyes were flashing in panic.

"Not goin' anywhere Blintz." Starsky hoped fervently that the nightmares that were bound to come wouldn't start tonight. "I'm here and so is my beretta. We also got those two big boys downstairs keepin' an eye on the place."

"Why are they here?" Hutch could feel the medication begin to work as he tried to concentrate on his partner.

'Shit!' Starsky thought. He doesn't know Creely's still out there. "Dobey sent them over remember? I guess he just wants ya ta feel secure on your first night home."

"You’re lying." Hutch closed his eyes for a moment trying to clear the haze that was beginning to fog his vision. "He's still on the lam, isn't he?"

"Yeah." Starsky stated quietly and picked up a large hand bringing it to his lips. He noted that the swelling on the wrist seemed to have gone down remarkably although the bruising was ugly and had to be sore. "Can ya believe it? Huggy and I actually slept in the same hotel, with him just down the hall." His eyes glittered. It was the first time he’d allowed that thought to enter his mind.

"Yeah?" Hutch forced his wondering eyes back to his partner. "Really puts a wrench in your crank, eh babe?"

"You got it." Starsky smiled, brushing the feather soft hair away from his love's forehead. "We'll get 'im Hutch. You’re safe and he won't be gettin' anywhere near ya again."

Hutch clenched his jaw, stifling a yawn knowing it would hurt regardless of the pills. "He's crazy Starsk. Not stupid."

"Wadda ya mean babe?" Starsky knew his Hutch was fading fast.

Hutch didn't try to fight any longer; his eyes closing he fell asleep not even realizing he spoke again. "I mean... he'll get me."

(10)

Starsky paused at the entrance to look back once more at his sleeping beauty, before biting his lip and joining Huggy who was now sitting at the table flipping through a magazine. "He seems ta be settled."

"Good. That was more 'n he could take." Huggy nodded sagely. "Look Starsk, there's next ta nothin' in the cupboards, how about I go on a ration run? I know you sure as hell don't want to leave him alone, and he's going to need nourishment, not ta mention that I've bin listening ta your stomach rumble for the past several hours."

"I can't leave him Hug. Would ya mind?" Starsky reached for his wallet in the back pocket of his jeans, his eyes dancing in appreciation. "Here. All I got is 80 bucks."

"That'll be plenty Starsk. I'll swing by my place and bring back some ready grub." Huggy rose, pocketing the money Starsky handed him.

"You’re a godsend Hug." Starsky grinned.

"Not at all bro', I got a warm spot in my heart for you and blondie I can't explain, so don't question." Huggy grinned back reaching for the knob. "I don't care much for the L word Starsk, but it don't mean I can't feel it."

"I hear ya Hug." Starsky saluted as Huggy left.

Starsky grabbed a beer out of the fridge and paced around the apartment sipping his drink and checking each window, grinning at the site of the cruiser parked out front. Moving into the greenhouse he checked the back door, though satisfied that it was locked, he didn't like that it was almost all glass and decided that when Huggy got back or if Hutch woke up he would dismantle one of his blond's bookcases and board it
up. His eyes widened in horror as he quickly went to the front door opened it and reached over the lintel, sure enough the key was still there. Taking it down he shoved it roughly into the front pocket of his jeans. "Aw babe! That's one habit 'm gonna havta break ya of." He shut the door and slid the bolt home. His blond's last words ringing in his ears. "Not if I can help it babe." He stepped into the bathroom to relieve himself, after washing his hands he felt an urgent need to get back to his Hutch.

Hutch's eyelids began to flutter, his slumbering mind not permanently taking note of each vision flashing behind the lids didn't deter the fact that his subconscious was living it. His body began to twitch as the bites of a multitude of insects assaulted him, the sun burning his flesh at the same time he was in total darkness. The gravel between the rails raking his skin open, just as the ties bit into his back as he struggled to mount each one. Feeling his bladder let go his dream self cried out in shame. The roar of the train was mixed with the growl from the mountain lion, as his body froze and he held his breath. His sub-self didn't want to recall that he had been saved. Instead the train thundered, at full speed, onto the bridge. "Starsk!! Please!!! Starsky!!!"

"I'm here! Hutch 'm here! God babe your nightmarin'! Come on babe I got ya!" Starsky dove onto the bed, gently pulling Hutch onto him, he ignored the soaked bedding pressed against his own groin. "Come on babe! Wake up!"

"Starsk?" Hutch was panting as he woke; his ribs reminded him that not only did he escape the train but also that he was home.

"Shhh. I got ya Hutch." Starsky whispered, his curls pressed firmly against the side of the reddened face. "It's just a bad dream Blintz, nothin' can hurt ya here."

"I'm okay now Starsk. Whew! That was scary." Hutch admitted, taking a huge breath, his heart still thudding. "I think I may have pissed myself again." He added sheepishly.

"So what." Starsky's voice held the firm hint of a scold. "That's my fault, I should 'ave known better than ta give ya the meds and fall asleep after not goin' for so long." He gripped his love tighter. "I'll get ya cleaned up in a sec..just need ta hold ya for a few lifetimes."

As much as his sides ached and he hurt all over, Hutch managed to grin as he turned his head, his damaged lips nuzzling the five o'clock shadow of his beloved's cheek. "I love you so much Gordo." He cursed himself as the tears began to well again.

"Ditto. Now let me get ya cleaned up and settled again." Starsky caught the deep emotion lying under his blond's last words, and also felt his own eyes begin to mist. Rolling Hutch back over he quickly stripped off his clothes and then pulled the bedding off of his Hutch. "Coulda bin worse, at least the mattress is still dry."

"I'm so sorry Gordo." Hutch flushed even redder with embarrassment.

Starsky stood, buck naked, looking down at him. The love he felt for the blond radiating from every pore. "It's not your fault. I told ya it's mine. So if anyone should feel bad it should be me, and believe me partner I
do. So lets drop it and let me get ya cleaned up before your rash gets worse. Now raise that beautiful ass a yours."

Doing as told, it wasn't long before Starsky had the blond's sweat pants off. It took slightly longer to get the T-shirt off, but in short order

Hutch was as naked as his partner. "God damn Hutch!" Starsky's voice was hushed in the still apartment. "Even all banged up...you’re just..well you’re fuckin' beautiful." Starsky stood still for a few moments gazing at his treasure in complete awe.

"I'm not complaining about the view either buddy." Hutch also had been gawking at his brunette in wonder. "I'm starting to feel a little vulnerable though."

"Damn! Just a sec babe. I gotta get some water and clean ya up first." Starsky snapped out of his reverie and flew from the room.

After lovingly washing the urine from every inch of his Hutch, Starsky took some added time to re-draw and apply some much needed magic from Audrey. Satisfied that he had done all he could he found another comforter and top sheet and loosely covered Hutch up. "Huggy should be back soon with some food. Are ya hungry babe?" Starsky, still in the buff himself, propped Hutch up with a couple of extra pillows.

"Maybe a little. I think I need to sleep more though." Just as the words were out he tried to stifle a yawn. "You should try to have a nap too Gordo, you’re always gorgeous, but you look more than a little peaked." Hutch frowned, noticing not for the first time what an understatement his words were.

"Look. You and me can worry about you and I'll worry 'bout me later." Starsky smiled down. "Matter of fact I intend ta have a shower as soon as you fall back asleep."

"Okay, but I'm still going to worry about you." Hutch closed his eyes, his voice already fading away even to his own ears.

Starsky sat on the bed, retucking the covers around his blond's shoulders, marvelling at how quickly the aloe was working on the strong features. Although the much loved face and mouth had a ways to go they already showed a marked improvement from when he first found his blond. "Sleep babe. Remember nothin' is going ta happen to ya again."

"Come back after.." Hutch fell into oblivion not realizing he hadn't finished his sentence.

"It'll be the fastest shower in history babe, then I'll be right back here." Starsky murmured, smiling he leaned over gently touching his lips to the blonds.

Starsky pulled on a robe and ran down the steps bringing one of the uniforms back up with him. He instructed him to stay vigilant in his guard while he shaved and showered. He didn't trust leaving his lover alone and unguarded for even a few minutes. "Got fresh coffee on Sam, if ya wanna grab one and take one back down to Steve when I get out."

"Sounds good. It's more than a little boring down there." Sam smiled, nodding his head.

"I hear ya." Starsky beamed back, deeply pleased that he got the name right. "We've been there a few times ourselves." He tilted his head towards the bedroom, before disappearing into the bathroom, clicking the door shut behind him.

Sam prepared a coffee for himself, placing an extra mug beside the coffee maker for his partner for when he was ready to leave. Curiosity overcame him and he wandered silently to the side of the bed which contained one of the biggest reasons he’d wanted to join the force. Studying the handsome though marred face he held his breath in awe, finding it hard to believe that he was in the same room with one of his biggest heroes. Finally letting out the air he couldn't bite back his words. "I hope I can be the one to get him for you sir." Snapping his jaw shut he hoped he didn't waken the sleeping idol, knowing that if he did the other half of the infamous duo would likely tear a generous strip off of him. Slinking back to the kitchen he sat at the table waiting for the dark haired partner to re-emerge.

Huggy arrived in a cab, and quickly convinced Steve to help him unload the multitude of groceries he had spent the afternoon collecting. After gaining entrance to the apartment, Sam answered the quiet knock with gun drawn, the two uniforms helped unload and put away the food items, before Huggy prepared two bowls of ready made chilli and still warm bread he had picked up and sent them back down to the car. Very little was spoken as the men unloaded, none of them wanting to face Starsky's ire if they woke up the sleeping hero. "Thanks dude's I'll put in a good word for you both with my blood, Dobey." Huggy followed them back down.

"Thank you sir, but we're just doing our job." Sam replied, dying to dig into the rich smelling meal. Wondering at the same time what role this weird clothed thin man played in the lives of his heroes.

"Paleeze don't call me sir, The Bear will do or even Huggy would be better, and don't underestimate your importance to Starsky an' me." Huggy grinned before starting back up. He too didn't want to leave Hutch alone for long.

"Where's Sam?" Starsky asked as soon as he came out of the washroom clad only in the oversized robe and running a towel vigorously through his curls.

"I sent them off to fill their tummies." Huggy shot over his shoulder preparing a healthy portion for the just cleansed man. "Hutch sleep all the time I was on my mission?"

"Nope. The nightmares started already." Starsky sniffed appreciatively, casting a worried glance at the bedroom he walked over to peek around the corner, satisfied that all was well he went to the table and sat down as Huggy placed the bowl in front of him.

"Any news on this Creely dude?" Huggy asked, also sitting down with his own chilli.

"No. I'll call Dobey in awhile." Starsky scowled, picturing what he would like to do with the man that had hurt his Hutch. "All we know is that he's still out there, and in all likelihood plannin' ta finish what he
started."

"Least we'll be ready for 'im this time." Huggy carefully watched his too stressed friend.

"I was ready the last time." Starsky's sharp gaze launched across the table.

(11)

Creely slammed the day old newspaper down, a long column on the side describing the ordeal and rescue of Sgt Hutchinson along with a small photo as he was unloaded at the hospital from the helicopter making him tremble in rage. "I'll get you, you white bastard!" He spat out along with a generous portion of spittle. His mind drifted back to his time in prison and the taunting and rapes he had to endure, being taken time and time again as the abusers mocked him on being caught by the handsome blond. Each one gasping out how much they wished he was the fair haired cop as they took every opportunity to plunge into him, often times more than one at the same time as they forced him at both ends. Cleaning himself up and shaving off his beard, he combed his hair back and placed the seldom cleaned locks into a pony tail then drove back down into the city.

Hutch moaned slightly as he opened his eyes. Turning his head he smiled at the top of the wavy hair laying over his shoulder. Wincing he pulled himself away and managed to sit up with his legs over the side. He sat
for a few minutes trying again to fight the vertigo that had lessened considerably but was still hanging around to torment, before slowly pushing himself up. Using every available surface he could to support himself he finally made it to the washroom to relieve himself. Taking a small pair of scissors from the top drawer in the vanity he stared at his reflection, grimacing at the sight of his damaged face and chest and began to cut the wrappings from around his waist. Hissing slightly as he removed the bandaging his ribs seemed to sing out an exquisitely exalted song of thanks. The pain was both sharp and refreshing at the same time. Hutch gripped the counter top slowly drawing in deep breaths until he felt steady enough to turn on the much longed for shower. He smiled in gratitude, sending a silent thanks up to the gods that they had blessed him with his Starsky, as he stepped into the tub, the warm spray hurting his tender flesh at the same time soothing the many aches.

Starsky stretched slowly, luxuriating in the stretch of his muscles. Eyes still closed he woke with a nagging feeling of something not being right. His eyes sprung open, already darkened in wariness. The first thing they noted and what he feared the most, that his Hutch was missing. In utter fearfulness he was up, eyes darting around as his heart constricted. "HUTCH!" He nearly screamed, dashing from the room. He skidded
to a halt at the sound of water coming from the partially opened door of the bathroom. His heart began to regain it's regular beat as he pushed the door open and stepped into the steam filled room. "Hutch?" He asked a little more quietly.

"I'm right here Starsk." Hutch had frozen at the sound of his partner yelling out his name, kicking himself for not waking his brunette to let him know his intentions. "Sorry I scared you Gordo, I just really needed to feel clean. I think I'll need some help getting out though." He added slightly abashed.

Starsky grinned in relief as he slid down his shorts and opened the curtain, stepping carefully over the tub. "I'll help ya get clean too Blintz. I hope ya aren't plannin' on many more of these surprises, my heart won't be able ta take it babe." Taking the soap and cloth from his blond he gently began to lather up the healing chest and firm, though badly bitten and peeling belly as Hutch tilted his head back to rinse the shampoo from his hair. He noted that the long legs were decidedly unsteady at the same time as Hutch braced himself with one hand up against the tiled wall.

"I got ya Hutch." He hung the cloth over the little rack on the soap holder and used just the soap holding on to his lover's side as he continued to lather.

"God. It feels so good Starsk." Hutch lowered his head, running a hand over his eyes to clear the water away, he beamed at his partner.

Starsky grinned back. "Turn around babe an' let me get your back. I doubt very much ya can stand a whole lot longer." He stepped back a little loosening his grip just enough for his blond to face the wall, before it was back and he gingerly began to soap up the broad shoulders, grimacing at the sight of the scabbing wounds. "Does it sting. babe?"

"A little, but feels nice anyway." Hutch bent his head down, relishing the gentle feel of his lover's hand on his back. He opened his eyes as the water poured over his head, his eyes widened in surprise at his growing erection. "Hey Starsk?"

"Yeah babe?" Starsky was engrossed in his chore, his eyes taking in every mark as the soap was rinsed off.

"I'd really like you to make love to me." Hutch stated shyly, his voice low.

Starsky stopped his tender administrations and stepped back a little. "I really don't think you’re up ta it babe."

Hutch turned back around, his eyes bright with pleading. "Please? I'll get on my knees."

Starsky's eyes widened at the sight of the huge penis pressed tightly against his lover's stomach. Gulping he tried to fight his own desire. "How 'bout I suck ya off when I get ya out of here?"

"No!" Hutch barked then softened. "I mean..I want you inside me Starsk. It still hurts when I pee and don't want you having to deal with that."

Starsky could feel even before speaking his voice getting husky with desire. Against his better judgement he couldn't deny his blond anything at the same time he knew that he wanted more than anything to make
love also, his own cock suddenly jutting upwards in it's own need. "Think ya can support yourself on your knees?"

Hutch had already turned around and cautiously lowered himself, Starsky stepped back as he moved down onto his knees, he used the wall to support himself as the water continued to rain down on him.

Starsky had also fallen to his knees as he began to lather the ripe buttocks using the soap he pressed it into the crack between the orbs he loved so much. He was grateful that they seemed to be one of the few unblemished parts of his love. With one hand he gently inserted a finger into the puckered opening while the other began coating his hard on with the bar of soap. "You sure about this Hutch?"

"Oh yeah." Hutch rasped, pushing back to force more of the probing digits further inside.

"Oh God! Hutch I can't wait long." Starsky panted, tossing the soap aside, the water causing it to float towards the drain.

"Me either! Come on Starsk! Hurry!" Hutch gasped as the fingers were removed to be replaced by what could only be the broad head of his brunette's cock.

Holding his breath, Starsky groaned in pleasured agony as he slipped inside, taking his time until he was completely ensheathed in the tight warmth. "You’re so fuckin' incredible Hutch."

"Fuck me Starsk!" Hutch nearly screamed as his prostrate was kissed by the passing of the large dick.

With his lover's condition very much in mind, Starsky took his time withdrawing and shoving back inside, biting his lips to keep himself from thrusting too hard, terrified to hurt his blond, he gripped the hips tightly trying to keep Hutch as steady as possible as he began to thrust with increasing urgency.

"Oh Yeah Starsk! Faster!" Hutch threw his head back, the water soaked curls of his partner clinging to the side of his cheek as the shower poured over his face.

Starsky could feel himself swell further, knowing it would only be a matter of seconds before he came. "I'm gonna...Ah Jesus!! Yes!! Hutch!!" He screamed in joy releasing his essence into his life.

Hutch lost his voice, his own load spurting painfully as pleasure also coursed through him. He collapsed heavily back, relying on his lover to support him. "Oh boy. I think maybe you were right, Gordo." He rasped.

"What about babe?" Starsky gasped, trying to struggle to his feet, his knees numb from being on the hard floor of the tub he pulled Hutch up with him.

"That was probably not one of my better ideas." Hutch smiled weakly.

"Let me get ya out of here babe." Starsky kicked himself for giving in to his blond, at the same time still enjoying the afterglow of great sex.

Hutch tried feebly to help Starsky dry him off after the terry robe was thrown over him, with much aide from his brunette he finally made it to the couch, sitting stiffly while Starsky went back to turn off the water and
return with a towel draped around his middle. "Wanna go back ta bed Hutch?"

"No I'm sick of being in there." Hutch smiled, adoration sparkling in his eyes. "Could you re-wrap my ribs for me?"

"Holy Christ Hutch! I completely forgot about them!" Starsky gaped in horror, he had been so engrossed with the obvious damage his parter had suffered, he hadn’t thought about the hidden ones. "Ya must need some pills after that!"

"Yeah. Pills would be good about now." Hutch nodded.

After re-bandaging his blond, getting him medicated and settled with a blanket and pillow on the couch, Starsky sat on the coffee table just watching his Blintz sleep, idolization twinkling in his eyes.

Creely abandoned the truck on the outskirts of the city. Cleaned up, it wasn't difficult to stick his thumb out, getting a ride after only the third vehicle passed. Thanking the driver he was let off near a rental agency, and using one of his many false ID's rented a nondescript compact and headed towards Venice Place. Spotting the cruiser he cursed under his breath as he stared straight ahead while driving past. He knew that it would probably be awhile before he got a second and final chance at the blond, but relieved that at least he knew where the hated man and his partner were. "Get better soon asshole!" He muttered while glaring at the building in the rear view mirror.

Both Starsky and Hutch shuddered involuntarily. Hutch in his sleep and Starsky casting a brief glance at the window, neither one knowing that their enemy had just driven by.

(12)

Although the bathtub session had brought on a setback, Hutch was starting to feel far better a couple of days later, and had begun to spend more time awake than he did sleeping. Sitting on the couch he was lightly strumming his guitar, light blue eyes admiring his partners backside as Starsky bobbed to the music from the radio while washing dishes. Feeling a strong urge to do something different, he had been getting increasingly bored with being cooped up in the apartment. "How about we go for a drive or something Starsk or maybe a walk on the beach or through the park?" He asked hopefully placing the guitar back in its case that was open on the coffee table.

Starsky was up to his elbows in suds doing up the mess he'd put off for the last few days, finally disgusted with the pile. Swinging his head around he grabbed a dish cloth and began drying his hands, turning the rest of him to lean back against the counter he studied his blond for a few minutes before responding. "I think that's a terrible idea Blintz."

"Come on Starsky!" Hutch rose from the couch his face had been healing in record time, though still marked and scabbed in spots, his lower lip still swollen and cut. Hutch was flushed with anger, the remaining damage brightening making it look even worse than it actually was. "I can't..I won't stay in here hiding for the rest of my life!"

"He's still out there Hutch!" Starsky threw down the towel turning darker as exasperation mixed with his own anger. He could tell by the flashing in his blond's eyes that he was about to have a battle, straightening up he prepared for it. "You yourself said he's crazy but not stupid!"

Hutch closed his eyes, his expression softening as he re-opened them. "I don't remember saying that, but it's true." He nodded his voice low. "Still, I can't let him take away my freedom Starsk. He could be in Canada or Mexico by now for all we know."

Starsky nodded, and walked towards his blond. "An' he could be across the street watchin' us babe."

"I'd feel a lot better if we were out there looking for him. I..I feel like we're letting him win somehow by staying in here."Hutch brought his hand up to caress Starsky's cheek.

"We will Hutch. I swear we will. Just give yourself two or three more days for you to heal more an' I'll tell Dobey we're ready ta get back to work." Starsky leaned into the warm hand.

"Two or three days huh? Sounds like a long time Gordo." Hutch smiled, knowing that Starsky was just as afraid, and just as anxious as he was to see Creely safely tucked behind bars again.

Starsky chuckled then leered, raking up and down his lover's body with his eyes. "'M sure I can come up with a few ideas ta keep ya busy."

Hutch grinned. "Yeah? Do I get to hear some for instances?"

"Nope. It wouldn't be any fun then." Starsky winked.

"Well we wouldn't want to spoil the fun." Hutch began to laugh, dropping his hand he went back to resume his seat on the couch. "Just keep in mind I'm an injured man." He grimaced as he leaned back.

"You're not feelin' as good as you've bin lettin' on are ya hon?" The mirth left the cobalt eyes as concern took over.

"I guess not. Still a lot better than a couple of days ago." Hutch smiled back at him. "I'm a tough old dog though Starsk."

"I know." Starsky replied softly moving to join his blond. "But even you need ta take off the armor, pound out the dents from time ta time an' just enjoy not carrying all the extra weight for awhile babe." He draped his
arm around the still tender shoulders and gently pulled the blond towards him.

Hutch sighed happily letting himself relax in the warm embrace. "Feels nice." He added as Starsky began to lightly stroke his face.

"When you're up to it I know a few ways I'd like ta make you feel even nicer." Starsky kissed the soft down.

"Smooth talker. You're just trying to keep me from wanting to go out." Hutch chuckled, pushing the brunette back a bit so he could bury his nose in the furry chest displayed where Starsky's shirt was enticingly undone to his waist.

"Is it workin'?" Starsky asked, leaning back further encouraging his blond to suckle a nipple.

Hutch hungrily took the hint and the nub. Starsky gasped tossing his head back he tried pressing the golden head even closer against him. "I don't think we should start what we can't finish Gordo." Hutch managed around the teat.

Starsky pushed his blond away. "You okay Blintz?" Worry was back battling with desire.

"Not really." Hutch looked down ashamed that his body wasn't cooperating with his want.

"Hey?" Starsky cupped the strong chin, forcing the cyan eyes to meet his own. "You've bin up for hours blondie, three, four times as long as ya have since we got ya home. I'll get ya some pills and maybe you should have a nap."

"I don't want any more pills Starsk." Hutch pulled back. "I don't like how they knock me out."

Starsky smiled sadly, knowing exactly how much his partner hated being out of control. "Think ya can sleep without them?"

Hutch thought for a few minutes feeling every part of his body scream out for relief. Looking up he shook his head. "No." He admitted knowing that he was also exhausted from the nightmares he had been trying to hide from his partner that had been causing him to not rest as much as he needed to.

"Somethin' else ya haven't been sharin' Hutch?" Starsky saw the guilt flash behind the pale eyes. He was all too well aware of how restless his blond was during the night, and suspected that Hutch was forcing himself awake when the dreams became too much. Starsky held him tightly but didn't try and force Hutch to admit that he’d been awake when he knew the blond was feigning sleep.

Hutch snapped his head around, his eyes studying his partner before sheepishly replying, knowing full well that his brunette was on to him. "I guess I haven't really been sleeping as much as I should."

"I know babe." Starsky scooted over, again wrapping an arm around the broad shoulders. "Wanna talk about them?" His voice was low as he referred to the nightmares.

"Guess I'm lucky I never went into acting huh?" Hutch smiled ruefully. "It's only to be expected I suppose that I'd have a few every now and then."

Starsky sputtered. "A few! Jesus Hutch the way ya toss and turn I'd say it's a helluva lot more than that. Tell me about them." he urged, squeezing the shoulder gently, knowing it was the one that had been dislocated.

"The train doesn't stop and you don't make it in time to get me off for a lot of them, but the worst one is the one where the lion comes onto the bridge after all." Hutch shuddered.

"What lion?" Starsky frowned. Suddenly it dawned on him that this was the first time that they actually discussed what had happened in detail.

"There was a mountain lion that came out of the bush at the end of the bridge." Hutch tilted his head to rest on his partner's shoulder, the curls tickling the side of his forehead as Starsky leaned his on top. "I was terrified Starsk." He whispered. "I held my breath praying that it wouldn't come."

Afraid of dogs, Starsky couldn't begin to imagine the terror his lover must have felt. "What happened Hutch?"

Hutch took a deep breath. "Well I guess someone was looking out for me. I could hear it growling and sniffing around and then it seemed to change it's mind and head back into the bush. I think it was afraid to step onto the bridge, that and maybe it wasn't really all that hungry."

It was Starsky's turn to shudder. "In you're dreams it goes onto the bridge doesn't it babe?"

Hutch just nodded, shivering at the thought of the big cat eating him alive like it started to in his dreams.

"Jesus! No wonder ya can't sleep." Starsky gripped him tighter, easing up when he felt the blond tense. "Sorry babe. Maybe ya should talk to the department shrink when we get back on duty."

"Yeah. I probably will have to anyway." Hutch pulled his head back up to turn and smile at his lover. "I think I'd like to try for that nap now."

Starsky sprung to his feet, reaching his hand out to help pull his blond up. "You got it babe. You go on in and strip down an' I'll get the meds. Unless ya think you don't need them."

Hutch frowned. "I think I need them Starsk." He grudgingly admitted. "But no more after this."

"Okay blondie, now get going." Starsky gave him a light swat on the rear.

Going to the kitchen for the pills and water, Starsky watched the blond slowly head off towards the bedroom. He couldn't stop the visual of a mountain lion making a meal out of his life and had to grip the counter for a few minutes to stop the shaking. "Ya better be runnin' Creely." He muttered, slamming a fist onto the counter top. After getting a grip he shook out a couple of T-3's and getting the water hurried after his blond.

After seeing that Hutch was sleeping peacefully he went back to the living room and sat on the edge of the couch, picking up the phone he called his Captain. "Hi Cap." He said after the gruff. "Dobey here."

"Hi Starsky. How's our boy doing?" Dobey's voice softened at the sound of one of his finest.

"Well good an' not so good Cap." Starsky turned to look glance back towards the bedroom. "I think we better get him back to work in a few days, he really wants ta feel useful, an' I don't think I can hold him
back longer than that. I think he really needs ta see the shrink too Cap." He added much more quietly.

Dobey nodded. "He's not sleeping very well?"

Starsky proceeded to fill him in on dreams of the big cat and the train and how Hutch was already building the walls to hide behind. After a few minutes more of talking Dobey agreed that it would be best if both his
officers came back, under the stipulation that they would be on desk duty and only half days if Hutch found he couldn't handle a full shift.

"How's he doing physically*?" Dobey asked.

"Really well actually Cap." Starsky smiled. "Better than I thought he would be after being released from the hospital so soon."

"Good. Glad to hear it." Starsky could hear Dobey's smile in his answer.

"Any leads on you know who?" Starsky gritted his teeth not wanting to even mention his nemesis' name.

"Nothing yet Starsky, but we're working on it." Dobey replied.

Starsky nodded, having already figured that there was no good news. "I don't think we'll really have Hutch back until we get 'im."

"Well find him Starsky." Dobey stated firmly.

"I know I will Cap."

(13)

A few days later, Starsky was just as happy as Hutch to escape the confines of the apartment even though they were regulated to desk duty. The blond's face showed a miraculous improvement, with just a few pale pink lines marring his tanned face. The burn had turned to a golden sheen, just a few flakes of dead skin remained. His shoulders and back still ached from the scratches but were now bearable without anything stronger than aspirin, the same as his ribs, though still tender he could breathe easily. His chest, although the worst burned, had also turned into a deep tan, the peeling turning it into a delightful kaleidoscope of various bronze hues.

The duo were meticulously going through files, with Dobey popping out from time to time to grin like a chubby Cheshire cat at his fair detective. Listening to the easy yattering of their fellow detectives, Hutch couldn't help join in on the conversation.

"Man I'd love a beer." McKinnon stated woefully out of the blue.

"So why not pick up a six pack on your way home?" Hutch asked without looking up. Starsky brought his eyes up, surprised that his blond had spoken.

"Theresa is on a diet and won't let me bring any home." Came the answer. "She'll want some and it'll ruin her latest regimen.

"Man! Your love life must have really taken a nose dive." Hutch looked up, eyes leaking sympathy.

McKinnon looked at him sharply. "What? You think that my wife and I can only make love if we've been drinking?"

Hutch grinned slyly. "Well I know if I were Theresa I'd have to be looped to even think about it."

The nearly packed room burst into laughter, leaving McKinnon to turn beet red and for once the extremely oral officer was speechless.

Dobey had heard from his office and came out with a huge grin on his face. "I don't think I've ever seen you at a loss for words before McKinnon."

"I..I. Dammit sir!" McKinnon flushed further. "He does it to me every time." He pointed towards the stoic Hutchinson.

"You're just so easy to set up Tom." Hutch smirked before going back to his file. Starsky chuckling across the table, beamed with pride upon seeing his partner getting back to his normal antics.

"Alright everyone back to work! You aren't getting paid to fool around." Dobey tried to hide his lingering grin and stomped back to his office.

Creely debated on whether he should liberate a shop of its cash or if he would be better off waiting a little and seeing if the blond officer was still holed up in his apartment. Deciding on the latter he brought his rental car to a halt a block away around the corner from his targets abode and strode casually around, stopping suddenly, as excitement encased him at the lack of police presence. Hurrying his steps he made it to the building and scurried up the stairs. Pressing an ear against the door he held his breath trying to detect any movement from inside, satisfied that the apartment appeared to be empty he tried the door hoping it wasn't, but knowing it was locked. Reaching in his back pocket he withdrew a locksmith kit, and within seconds had the door open. Stealthily he inched his way in quietly closing the door behind him. He stood for a moment, his eyes raking in everything within sight before slowly walking all around touching, compelled at the same time loathe to do so, his perceived enemies every possession. Entering the bedroom his nostrils flared as the scent of stale though recent sex hit him. Frowning in disgust his eyes noted the picture of the man and his partner on the night table and he went to inspect it further. Lifting it up his heart
began to pump at an alarming rate, and he began to shake. He spat on the picture before dropping it back onto the table and moved into the greenhouse. This he found calmed him considerably, being an outdoors man himself he fought back and beat, the admiration for the blond's seemingly mutual love of nature. Horrified that the cop had something in common with himself he fled the apartment, not realizing that he had taken the time to relock it, and found himself not only back in his car, but many miles away before his mind, once again, became aware of his surroundings.

After most of the detectives had cleared the squad room to investigate their most pressing cases, Starsky couldn't help bringing his eyes up to follow every move of the bent blond head. His eyes swam with tears as he suddenly felt a jolt of unadulterated love swarm over him. "Hey." He whispered across the desk.

Hutch looked up questioningly, adoration shining in his own eyes.

"I really, really love you." Starsky grinned crookedly a tear finding it's way down a sharp cheek. "So much it hurts ya know."

"I know. Believe me Starsk I know." Hutch smiled, hiding his choked voice under the guise of a false cough. Glancing quickly around the room he added in an ultra soft voice. "You're my everything."

"Forever?" Starsky swallowed thickly.

"Always." Hutch smiled fighting his own tears.

Dobey flung the door open ignoring, though noting the emotional state of his detectives. "My office now! The both of you!" Then turned back, the door slamming shut behind him.

"Tonight?" Hutch whispered, bending his head under the pretense of scratching his knee he inhaled the scent and feel of his lover's curls as they gently touched his cheek, before passing into the inner sanctum.

Starsky shot his eyes around the room. "Think you're up ta it?" He relished the softness of the down covered head as the blond lowered it further to nuzzle the warm neck and it briefly caressed his chin.

"Ready, willing and more than sure I'm able." Hutch grinned lasciviously, his left forearm rubbing briefly against the tightly encased scrotum.

Starsky straightened quickly as the soft touch at his groin sent a shock through his system. "It's gonna be a long day." He murmured as he followed his other half into the office.

"Huggy Bear just called me." Dobey mock glared as both his officers took up seats across from him.

"Why'd he call you?" Starsky scowled.

Dobey focused his sharp brown eyes on the darker half of his favorite team. "He probably didn't want to upset Hutch."

"So our Bear friend has our lad Creely where?" Hutch pinched the bridge of his nose while watching his superior.

Dobey let go a heavy sigh while bringing his focus to the fair half of the duo before him. "Apparently a man matching his description, only clean and shaved, robbed a liquor mart on Carleton Ave not more than twenty minutes ago."

"So he's duckied himself up." Starsky added. "All the better ta get close ta Hutch." He shot a worried glance at his partner.

Hutch tossed an exasperated look at his lover. "He won't try anything yet Starsk. It's too soon."

"He's not exactly playing with a full deck Hutch." Dobey pointed out. "We don't know what his next move will be, only that he seems very intent on ending your life"

"He'll have ta get through me first." Starsky stated firmly.

"Whoa! Come on Captain, Starsk." Hutch let go a waft of air he hadn't realized he had been holding. "Trust me. He'll wait until we've all calmed down before making another move. He may be nuts, but he's one sharp mother, and the fact that his intentions are clearly focused will just make him all the more wary." Hutch smiled grimly. "He doesn't want the second time to have any glitches."

Dobey studied his fair haired detective intently. "You seem to have thought this out thoroughly Hutch."

"It's not just my life he's planning to end Cap." Hutch quickly tossed his baby blues to his partner. "Even if he doesn't know it yet."

Starsky nodded his agreement. "Can we leave the desk detail and check out this recent robbery Cap?"

"You up to it Hutch?" The Captain had rarely let his dark eyes wander from the blond.

"I think I need to." Hutch smiled brightly at him, causing the Captain to come back with a warm smile of his own.

Creely was sitting on a bench, as inconspicuous as any passenger waiting for a bus, when he spotted the red gleam and white glare of the vehicle belonging to his rival's friend shooting up from the police parking
lot.

Hutch shot a quick look back at the nondescript man, but quickly tossed the idea of recognition off to paranoia as the Torino swiftly went past.

"Hey Starsk?" Hutch bit his, now healed, decadent lower lip in thought.

"What babe?" Starsky asked, his indigo eyes darting worriedly towards his partner.

"I don't know." Hutch gazed out the side window, pulling on his chin. "I get the feeling that he's been up to more than just ripping off a shop." Releasing his chin he looked over at his life. "I can't shake the feeling that he's been following us."

"Same here babe." Starsky smiled over at his reason for being. "'M thinkin' of havin' Dobey put the watch guard back out."

Hutch reached over, something he seldom did while on duty, and held Starsky's hand. "I get the feeling that it's too late for that buddy." He laughed at the scowl his brunette tossed his way. "I think he's been there."

"In the apartment!" Starsky almost hit the brake in his astonishment.

"You got it." Hutch nodded, at first just a feeling now he was certain. "I doubt he's done much, but I'm sure he’s been there. "

Starsky changed lanes, without asking he wanted to verify his partner's concerns before heading to the robbery site. "My place ain't safe Hutch, we already found that out, if he's bin ta your place I don't know where ta hide ya." He muttered throwing the Mars light on and hitting the siren, a strong sense of deja vu hitting him at the same actions he'd performed with his blond at his side, not all that long ago.

"That's just it Gordo." Hutch turned to face his lover. "I think the best way to get him is to set myself up as bait."

"No way!" Starsky almost screamed before clamping his jaw shut. "He ain't gettin' ya again Hutch."

"That's just it Starsk." Hutch moved his hand to clench the denim clad thigh. "He is going to get me. I'd just rather that it be planned and not a surprise."

"Still locked." Starsky said as he tried the knob when they arrived.

"Doesn't mean anything." Hutch answered pulling out his key and slipping it in. Both men pulled their weapons before entering, Starsky pushing his blond out of the way as he entered first. "Nothin' looks
touched hon."

"He's been here Starsk. I can smell him." Hutch moved cautiously, though intently forward. Leaving his love to go over the kitchen and living room he made his way into the bedroom. Replacing his magnum in it's holster he stared at his favorite picture of himself and his lover lying haphazardly on the night stand. "Starsky!"

(14)

Starsky re-drew his weapon at the underlying twinge of fear in his partner's voice calling him from the next room, he was beside his blond before he even had it cocked. "What is it Blintz?"

"Looks like our friend wanted to leave a calling card." Hutch nodded towards the photo.

"He musta used a pick, I took the key down from the frame right after gettin' ya home from the hospital." Starsky grimaced in disgust at the semi-dried spittle covering his lover's face.

Hutch gingerly picked it up by the frame and managed to get the cardboard backing off, giving it a little shake the photo floated back to the table as he moved around his partner and tossed the glass and frame into the trash can under the kitchen sink. Grabbing the dish soap he quickly lathered up his hands, rinsing them thoroughly under near scalding water.

"Think we should have a lab team go over the place?" Starsky had followed his lover out of the room and now stood watching him with concern as the blond began to soap up his hands for the second time.

"What the hell for! We already know who he is!" Hutch snapped, instantly regretting it. He closed his eyes and leaned forward, his forearms resting over the edge of the sink, his hands dangling around the flow from the tap. "I'm sorry Starsk."

"Don't be." Starsky grinned slightly coming over he ran his hand affectionately over his blond's rump as he passed, continuing on towards the fridge. "Wanna beer?"

"Sure." Hutch pulled himself back up, shaking his head he finished rinsing and then shut of the tap. Grabbing a dish towel that was tucked between the cupboard under the sink, he quickly dried himself off and tossed it onto the counter. "Thanks." He turned, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand as he took the beverage from his partner with the other. "I guess we should call it in anyway, at least let Dobey know what's going on."

"Relax." Starsky wrapped his arm around the slender waist and gently pulled Hutch towards the living room and couch. "I'll call 'im in a few minutes."

"I wonder if he's left any other surprises." Sitting, Hutch cast a wary glance around the room.

"I'll check it out in a little while." Starsky had taken up roost beside his blond.

"I'm perfectly capable of going through my own apartment Starsk." Hutch lightly smiled at his brunette.

"I know, but it'll make me feel a helluva a lot better ta check it out myself." Starsky grinned ruefully back. "Pisses me off that this guy infected both our places."

Hutch nodded in acquiescence. Taking a healthy swallow of beer he wiped his mouth across the back of his hand. "I suppose the guard will be back in place tonight."

"It better be." Starsky pushed himself forward reaching for the phone. "It never should a been called off."

"Come on Starsk. You know as well as I do that we don't have the man power to leave a couple of officers sitting down there watching an empty apartment." Hutch stated softly, peeling the label off the bottle.

"Yeah." Starsky scowled as he agreed, leaning to the side he captured the succulent lips in a deep kiss before pulling away and punching in the number to his superior's home.

After briefly filling the Captain in, assuring the big man that Hutch was fine he hung up and sat back taking a sip of his own beer.

"Well?" Hutch asked not having really paid much to his partner's half of the conversation.

"He'll have a team here shortly." Starsky frowned as he too began to peel off his label. "Says he can't spare a black 'n white though, hopes maybe he can at least increase the patrols in the area."

"We're big boys Starsk." Hutch smiled with affection at his worried partner. "Besides if he's been watching he knows that you're here too. He's not likely to try anything when we're together."

"In that case he may as well give up on ya now, 'cause with ya is where I plan ta be for the rest of forever." Starsky grinned waggling his eyebrows as he inched closer.

Hutch snorted after taking a another swallow, wincing in pain as beer shot partly up his nose, grabbing his chest as it then slipped down his windpipe causing him to gasp and cough.

"Ya okay Hutch." Starsky sprung forward slapping his partner hard on the back.

"Ow!" Hutch managed to spit out between gasps pushing his back forward trying to avoid another assault.

"Sorry." Starsky immediately began to rub.

"I might be safer with Creely." Hutch's eyes began to water at the same time again regretting his words. "I didn't mean that Gordo." He swallowed, the liquid attack nearly over.

Starsky pulled away trying to hide the hurt in his eyes, but not before Hutch caught the sting in them. "Come on Starsk, it was a joke, albeit a bad one." Hutch put his beer on the table and reached to snag his partner's hand. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I just hate it when ya make jokes like that, there ain't anything funny about this guy Hutch, he's tryin' ta kill ya and I don't know if I can stop him." Starsky's voice trailed to a whisper as he brought his eyes back, seemingly trying to memorize the beloved face he had long ago firmly seared into his mind.

Hutch nodded, guilt causing him to drop his own gaze. "Honestly?" He picked his bottle up from the table.

"What?" Starsky tilted his head to the side the cobalt not leaving his blond.

"I don't think we will." Hutch brought his head back up with a sad smile his pale eyes brimming with certainty. "Stop him I mean."

Starsky slowly swung his head from side to side, the indigo not leaving the sky blue. "Don't talk like that Hutch. Please don't even think like that babe."

"It's just a feeling I can't seem to shake Starsk." Hutch shrugged in apology, knowing he was scaring his brunette.

"Yeah well it's one feelin' that I hope ya get over real quick." Starsky glared at him, getting up angrily from the couch he grabbed both their empty bottles and when to get them a couple more.

"Would you rather me not tell you how I feel?" Hutch asked, watching the broad shoulders tense and roll as the brunette strutted away.

"No. I'd rather ya didn't feel that way at all. I wanna make ya feel safe, an' that's pretty fuckin' hard ta do when you're determined ta think gloom an' doom all the time."

"Well excuse me all to hell Starsk!! My first outing with Creely was no day at the beach! I'm sorry I offend you so much by not being able to stop thinking about what the next trip could be like!" Hutch stood, his own anger causing him to tremble and stormed off to the washroom, slamming the door loudly behind him.

"Terrific." Starsky muttered grabbing the beer and kicking the fridge shut, the items inside rattling with the force. Hearing the water turn on, he was just about to start a thorough check of the place when there was a sharp knock at the door. Starsky froze in place for a moment drawing his weapon slowly he leaned his head against the door."Who is it?"

"Destaulo here Starsky."

Starsky unlatched and opened the door letting in the officer in charge of the lab crew. "Hey Gino glad ya could make it, but I doubt you'll find much."

"Doesn't hurt to try, not after what Hutch had to go through." The wiry though muscular smaller man smiled. "Man! I've had a few nightmares myself just thinking about it, where is he?"

"Shower." Starsky nodded, holding the door open until the others entered. He was kicking himself for giving his blond a hard time earlier, thinking that maybe he was being more than a little selfish in trying to
harbor his own fears instead of helping Hutch deal with what he had gone through and was afraid of what could happen in the near future. "It's not happenin' again babe." He mumbled to himself glancing at the still closed bathroom door. Louder. "Hutch tossed the glass and the picture frame out." He went to the kitchen to retrieve the garbage can, explaining what he and Hutch did manage to find when they first arrived after receiving a few quizzical looks.

After one of the technicians took the nearly empty trash from him, Starsky went back to the living room trying to stay out of their way. He was beginning to grow alarmed after the team finished up in record time and packed their gear and left with still no sign from the blond. Closing the front door and re-locking it, he spun around to face the bathroom door. Giving it a light knock he softly called. "Hutch? Hey Hutch ya okay babe?" Biting his lower lip his eyes narrowing in concern. He took a few seconds to debate on whether Hutch was still mad at him and just giving him the silent treatment then quickly shook it off, his partner was frequently exasperated with him, royally pissed from time to time also, but he'd never shut him out.

Reaching for the knob he was a little surprised at the same time delighted that Hutch hadn't locked it. Slowly pushing the door open, he stuck his head around the corner. "Hutch?" Nudging it all the way with his knee he stepped inside the small room grinning broadly his eyes sparkling with love. Hutch had fallen asleep in the tub, his head tilted back and his mouth slightly open, he snored softly the fragrant scent of herbal bubbles filling the air as they clung to the smooth flesh.

Starsky stood gazing down for several minutes before deciding to change the bed before dragging his slumbering lug out of the water and slipping him in between clean sheets. Tossing the dirty linen into
the hamper he bent down taking the wash cloth from the slack hand and began tenderly rinsing his lover's body of the soapy residue, chuckling softly as the still very asleep blond began to respond, his cock swelling more with each passing of the cloth over his skin. He slid his hand along the inside of a long leg until reaching the end and pulled the drain. "Come on Blintz. Time ta tuck all good little boys inta bed."

Hutch slowly parted his lids, the sky blue peeking out sleepily at his partner. "I fall asleep?"

"That ya did babe." Starsky ran his hand back up the leg.

"Mmm. Feels good." Hutch smiled. "You planning on doing more than just teasing?"

Starsky grinned back. "Only if ya want me to."

"Oh yeah." Hutch struggled to sit up. "I very much want you to."

(15)

Starsky helped pull Hutch up from the tub, the blond quickly grabbing the towel and drying himself off. "All forgiven?" Hutch asked as his cock slapped his tummy, reacquainting itself with the puckered navel.

"Yeah. I'm real sorry Hutch." Starsky sighed leaning back against the basin to watch his lover's every action with rapt attention.

Hutch pulled the towel from his head, blond strands sticking out all over. "I'm sorry too Gordo. Sorry I went off the deep end like that." His light eyes leaked love before he cast his gaze down to concentrate on drying his legs. "Guess we're both more strung up than we thought."

"That's how we should be babe." Starsky smiled, his eyes raking over the long limbs his partner was dabbing at. "I was tryin' ta think it never happened an' wouldn't happened again without thinking what you
were thinkin', ya know?"

"I know." Hutch replied standing straight, holding the towel, flattening his hair down with his other hand. "The bastard being in here really threw me for a loop."

"No kiddin'." Starsky undid the snap of his jeans, his blond's erection causing his own to quiver in anticipation as it too struggled for freedom. "Think we can get over all this sorry crap and take things elsewhere?"

"Thought you would never ask." Hutch tossed the towel aside grinning lasciviously. "What's your pleasure?" He added cupping his brunette's genitals as he passed.

"You. Me. Bed." Starsky laughed, nearly groaning as the hot hand touched him while his lover passed. "Never really thought past that. I am thinking that 'm due or overdue for a good screw."

"I'd never deny you anything Gordo." Hutch chuckled as he made his way to the bedroom, his grin turning even more brilliant in the dimming room at seeing that it had been changed. "Lab?"

"Here and gone." Starsky smiled back his cock aching with anticipation of connecting with all that smooth skin and muscle.

"Damn! Missed them." Hutch tossed over his shoulder. "Get on there buddy. I want to see you." He nodded once at his partner and then at the bed.

"I thought you were takin' a shower, if I hadda known you were in the tub I would have taken advantage of you then." Starsky strutted towards the bed issuing a low growl.

Hutch couldn't tear his eyes away from the sinewy movement of muscle quivering under the flesh approaching him. "Lie down." He managed to get out.

"I love it when you're forceful." Starsky grinned his penis filling, imitating the blond's as it rose to introduce itself to the sunken belly button. Slowly, he crawled onto the bed aligning himself in the center before
languidly rolling over.

"God you're beautiful!" Hutch stood stock still his eyes the only part of him daring to move voluntarily as they milked in every inch of his partner they could absorb.

"I ain't exactly bitchin' about the view from my angle babe." Starsky drew in a sharp breath. The tanned and white flesh before him resembling marble as it shimmered with all it's perfection in the semi-darkness. "Are you just gonna stand there gawking at me or are ya plannin' ta let me sample your finery?"

Hutch shook his head. "We'll see who gets to sample whom." He smiled hungrily. "Spread your legs." He climbed up between them after Starsky happily complied, leaning over he grabbed the bow shaped mouth in a fierce kiss as he reached in the end table for the lube. Drawing his hand back he sunk his teeth gently into the exposed neck before running his tongue across the hair covered chest, pausing briefly to suckle a nipple moving quickly to lavish the same treatment to it's twin before making his way down to slip it into the quivering navel. He closed his eyes briefly cherishing the feel of his brunette's silken hardness pressed hotly against his chest. Slipping further down he took the broad head and penis into his mouth the full lips
tightening their grip as the tongue circled and licked the pulsating cock. Starsky's moans urging him on, he quickly rid the tube of it's cap and greased his hand. Slipping his hand under the round buttocks he lightly
massaged the tight opening, slowly circling as he increased the pressure of his sucking. Feeling his lover tense he pressed his middle finger slowly in at the same time he heard Starsky shout his name, trying to push down on the digit encouraging more. Another finger entered and the pair began to move and stretch, Starsky thrust sharply upward as his prostrate was brushed nearly causing the blond to gag. "Whoa
there partner!" Hutch pulled away still massaging Starsky's canal with his fingers. Swallowing a few times to try and get some spit to soothe the back of his throat where the penis had driven into him painfully.

"Will you stop messin' around!" Starsky gasped his head thrashing from side to side. "You're fuckin' killin' me here."

"No pillow talk Gordo." Hutch grinned mischievously. "Okay. Okay." He threw a hairy leg over his shoulder, Starsky groaned despairingly as the other hand was removed his butt picked up to rest on his blond's thighs at the same time his other leg tossed up onto the other shoulder. Hutch quickly coated himself his own hard cock aiming automatically for the tight portal. He slowly entered not stopping until he was completely ensheathed. "Oh God babe!" Hutch leaned forward a little trying to get his breath the hot tightness threatening to cause him to spill before he was ready.

"Now is not the time ta stop Blintz!" Starsky got out just as his own leaking cock was taken by a large warm hand, eliciting another long groan of ecstasy.

Hutch began to carefully pull in and out with long strokes at the same time moving his hand over his lover's dick with the same rhythm. "Not going to last long."

"Just do it!" Starsky spit out, grateful that there was only one pillow under him, his head was squished almost painful his chin poking him in the chest at the awkward angle.

Hutch quickened his pace at his lover's urging and was soon thrusting piston-*like, his own head thrown back in abandon as he felt Starsky swell even further before yelling and shooting his cum all over their
chests and bellies. Hutch bit his lip, suddenly stopping as his own essence ripped through him to shoot into his lover. After a few long breaths he pulled himself out, leaning forward he began to lick the cum from his partners stomach inching his way upward he smiled before bending his head to kiss the satisfied grin on his brunette's face.

Starsky pushed Hutch away loving the taste of himself in his blond's mouth and pulled his lover upwards wanting to lick the smooth skin clean, loving the taste of himself even more so mixed with the salty taste of his lover's flesh.

Hutch barely made it to the side before collapsing with exhaustion. "I think we need more practice Gordo."

"You're kiddin' right?" Starsky grinned, stifling a yawn. "You get any better at this and I may as well buy a burial plot tomorrow."

"I'm only as good as my partner." Hutch sighed closing his eyes.

Starsky rolled to his side, laying his head on the sweat moistened chest, his curls lightly tickling the broad chin as Hutch tilted his head to lean on the soft cushion. "I really love you blondie." Starsky tried to snuggle closer.

"I know." Hutch smiled wistfully. "You will never know how much that means to me."

"I think I have a pretty good idea." Came the sleepy response.

"I love you too." Hutch said feeling himself slipping away.

"That's what I mean." Starsky yawned again before drifting away himself.

Hutch woke to a low rumbling, taking a few minutes to realize that the noise derived from his own stomach. Rising he grabbed an extra blanket that was jammed into the rails at the foot of the bed and lovingly covered his partner before going to the bathroom to shower and shave. Coming out he threw on a pair of shorts and T-shirt that he deemed weren't too dirty from the hamper and went out to see what he could rustle up for a meal. He knew full well that neither he nor Starsky had eaten much that day and being well aware that if his brunette woke up hungry he would be miserable if he had to wait very long for sustenance. Chuckling at the thought of his fiery imp he decided that soup and sandwiches would be enough to tide them over for awhile and began to withdraw the necessities from the fridge and cupboards.

Starsky moaned, rolling over and burying his face in the pillow, his nose twitching at the scent of something cooking in the other room. His bladder and belly both vied for equal attention as he forced himself up to scurry into the washroom. He didn't notice his lover's amused expression as he hurried past, shutting the door just as he made it to the toilet. After relieving himself and smelling the shampoo and soap at the same time taking in the light coating of moisture on the mirror he decided that he would shave and shower before going back out. He grinned at the thought of his blond puttering around the kitchen, knowing full well that he would have a meal placed before him when he re-emerged.

Starsky came out, a towel draped precariously around his middle and headed for the bedroom to find something to wear. "What time is it?" He called out looking at his bare wrist, spotting his watch where he
had left it on the bureau hours before.

"Just after midnight." Hutch responded. He wasn't surprised when Starsky briefly popped out with a stunned look on his face. "I guess our body clocks are a little out of wack."

"A little?" Starsky disappeared again coming back a few minutes later with jeans on and attempting to do up a denim shirt, stopping after the first few buttons on the bottom as he plunked himself down in front of a steaming bowl. "What kind?"

"Mushroom." Hutch smiled setting down the plate containing thick ham and cheese sandwiches, then taking a seat himself.

"Good." Starsky grinned at him lifting one of the sandwiches with one hand and a spoon with the other. "I was gettin' sick of tomato."

Hutch was just about to reply when the jangling of the phone caused both men to jump.

"Anyone sick in your family?" Starsky cocked an eyebrow, slowly rising from his seat.

"Nope." Hutch hadn't taken his eyes from the phone.

Starsky nodded coming around to place a comforting hand on the broad shoulder before moving into the living room to answer. "Starsky." he responded gruffly.

"Hey dude. Sorry 'bout the late hour." Huggy's voice came through the line along with considerable background noise.

"Thought you might like to know that Creely is back in town and cleaned himself up too." Huggy stated. "Besides liberating a few seedy shops of their profits he seems to have managed to obtain wheels."

"What kind?" Starsky motioned for a pen and paper.

Hutch quickly finding both came back hovering questionally by his partner.

"Dark blue, two door, small maybe a pinto or chevette." Huggy shot off.

"Thanks Hug. He was here already today..yesterday I mean." Starsky quickly amended realizing the hour. "Anything else?"

"He was there? As in the apartment?" Huggy sounded surprised.

"You got it." Starsky* frowned looking at his blond. "He didn't do much, seems like he just wanted to shake us up a bit."

"I imagine it worked too." Huggy replied. "How's our Mr. Universe doin'?"

Starsky smiled. "He's fine Hug."

"Well the only other thing I got is old news after what you just told me. Seems he drove by when the cops were still outside, I was going to tell you that he knows where Venice Place is but I suppose that's moot
information now." The Bear couldn't keep the disappointment out of his voice. "I do think though that he'll be biding his time waitin' an' watchin' till he gets a chance."

"I'm not going to let him have another chance." Starsky stated firmly. Hutch had given up on finding out what was being said and dejectedly walked back to the kitchen.

"You ain't superman Starsk and this dude is one crazy mother." Huggy announced sagely. "He'll get a chance, maybe only one, but he'll take it."

"Jesus Hug!" Starsky spat. "You're startin' ta sound like Hutch!"

"Maybe you should listen to him." Huggy ended replacing the receiver and cutting of the connection.

(16)

The days passed slowly almost painfully as the detectives spent their waking hours shuffling through endless amounts of paperwork at the same time watching every movement anyone made out of the corner of their eyes. Hutch was beginning to get more than a little frazzled at having his partner follow him everywhere including the men's room. He was becoming increasingly surly and snappish, even more so when his brunette ignored him in his pleas for some space.

"Ya ain't gettin' rid of me Blintz." Starsky stated firmly for the umpteenth time.

"I am not trying to get rid of you Starsky." Hutch clenched his teeth trying to keep his voice down. "I just think I should be able to take a leak without having you fluttering around me."

"I don't flutter. I bounce." Starsky smiled knowing he was asking for trouble.

Hutch glared across the desk, his eyes glittering dangerously.

"Easy babe." Starsky laughed holding his hands up in mock abandonment. "Anyone ever tell ya tha..."

"Shut up!" Hutch tore a recently completed form out of the typewriter and tossed it onto a growing pile of similar reports.

"That your eyes turn a really bright blue when you're pissed at me." Starsky continued again ignoring the danger signs. The other officers in the room tiptoed around the blond while casting nervous glances at the infamous duo. "You want me ta put a cork in it?" Starsky fought back a giggle.

"Yeah. About the same size and dimensions as my fist if you keep it up." Hutch replied without looking up, he was having a hard time getting another form in the typewriter. Giving up he ripped it into little pieces and tossed them behind his back.

"Someone's getting cranky." Starsky muttered without looking up from his own work.

"I want to go home." Hutch scowled pinching the bridge of his nose.

The humor in Starsky eyes was quickly replaced by concern as his head snapped up. "We'll be out of here soon Hutch." He glanced down at his watch.

"I want to be alone Starsk." Hutch spoke just above a whisper.

Starsky tried to hide the hurt in his eyes as the soft words slit into him like a razor. "That ain't happenin' Hutch."

"I know." Hutch smiled sadly.

"Come on." Starsky pushed his chair back, collected the stack of reports from both their desks and dropped them into Dobey's in basket before grabbing his coat. Not waiting the see if his blond was following he shoved the doors opened and stormed off down the hallway.

Hutch smiled apologetically at the remaining detectives before shrugging into his jacket and following his partner out. He berated himself for hurting his brunettes feelings. Starsky was waiting for him at the exit to the parking lot, his back turned defiantly away. "I'm sorry Starsk." He placed a hand on the smaller man's shoulder, only to have it shrugged off as Starsky opened the door and plunged out towards the Torino. Sighing heavily Hutch slowly followed.

Hutch endured the silent treatment for the duration of the trip home, knowing that his stubborn partner would let him have it when he was good and ready and not a moment before. Starsky tossed off his jacket and removed his holster and shirt before sprawling out on the couch, leaving Hutch to his own devices as he continued to ignore the blond. Hutch stripped down to just his cords, his feet sighing with relief after the not quite broken in boots were removed. After having about all he could take of hearing the television change channels repeatedly over the course of nearly an hour, Hutch found himself sitting in the chair his eyes drifting between the tube and his lover. "I said I was sorry Gordo."

Starsky pushed himself to a sitting position, studying his blond carefully for a few minutes before responding. "You gettin' tired of me Hutch?"

"What?" Hutch looked at him puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"I mean do you really want me ta leave?" Starsky nodded his head, certain that his second worse fear was about to come true and that Hutch wanted to end their relationship.

"And go where?" Hutch was still baffled at what his partner was trying to say.

"Jesus Hutch! For someone so fuckin' bright you can be a real dunce from time ta time." Starsky stood beginning to tremble in rage and hurt. "I mean do you want me outta here out of your bed maybe even your
life."

Hutch could feel his jaw unhinge as he gaped at his lover. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"You said that ya wanted ta go home alone. That would be without me." Starsky could feel the tears beginning to well and fought them back.

"Oh for heavens sake Starsky." Hutch sprang to his feet wrapping his arms around his precious bundle. "I just meant that I feel like neither one of us has had a chance to do anything except look over our shoulders day in day out. I feel like I'm in my own prison."

"Ya mean that it's not me your tired of?" Starsky sniffed, clinging to his blond.

"I could never get tired of you Gordo." Hutch smiled as he kissed the curls.

"Ya mean that." Starsky pulled back searching his lover's eyes.

Hutch drew a slightly exasperated breath before bending slightly to rub noses with his brunette. "I really really mean it. I can't believe you would think I wanted us to end. I don't want to even think of what a day let alone the rest of my life would be like without you Gordo. I can't think of a grayer existence." He brought his hand up to cup the beloved cheek and ran his thumb over the bowed lips. "What brought all this on anyway?"

"I don't know." Starsky shrugged sheepishly a little embarrassed for acting like a baby. "I guess all this is gettin' ta me too babe, I just didn't know it."

"I'm glad we got that cleared up. You had me worried there Starsk." Hutch sat down on the couch pulling Starsky along with him.

Starsky sat back eyes boring once more into his partner. "So what did ya mean back at the station?"

"Huh? Oh I don't know Starsky I guess I'm starting to feel out of touch with myself, I mean neither one of has had a chance to be alone for longer than it takes to shower." Hutch smiled in apology. "I think that everyone has forgotten all about Creely even being after me, I'm starting to think that it was all a bad dream myself."

"I haven't forgotten." Starsky frowned his dark orbs never leaving his blond. "An' you better not forget it either, that's exactly what he's waitin' for us ta do."

"I don't know Starsk. Maybe he was scared off." Hutch tried pulling his lover towards him. "I'd really like to get on with living."

Starsky swatted the large hands away. "Don't ya see Hutch? It's the way you're startin' ta think now that he's been waiting for. After awhile I'll start ta think you're right and then we both let up our guard."

"I know you're right Starsk. I'm just getting sick of it all." Hutch sat back running a hand over his eyes. "Maybe we should think about setting up a trap. Let him think that we've relaxed."

"You mean put ya out there as bait." Starsky slowly shook his head. "Not happenin' babe."

"You'd rather we stay holed up in here!?" Frustration again began to creep in as the soft voice rose. "At least if we're pretending to let our defenses down we have a chance at getting him. Instead of waiting until they're down for real."

"I don't like it." Starsky drew a shaky breath. "But you're right, we can't last much longer livin' like this. I'm afraid ta let you outside even if it's just ta get to the car."

"That's another aspect of all this I'll be glad to see come to an end." Hutch grinned. "Don't get me wrong Gordo, I love you to death but you've been making me feel like a five year old, doesn't do much for the macho image I have of myself."

"I can't help it." Starsky replied a little contritely. "I was never so scared in my life than when he got ya the last time."

"Think how I felt." Hutch leaned over and rubbed his cheek against Starsky's.

"That's about all I could think about. That and findin' ya." Starsky shuddered at the memory relishing the warmth of the smooth skin against his 5 o'clock shadow.

"How about we see Dobey first thing and see if we can set it up?" Hutch murmured nudging a curl out of the way so he could suck the soft earlobe into his mouth.

"Keep that up and you're really gonna be in trouble." Starsky squirmed beginning to chuckle as he tried to push Hutch away.

"Hard to be in trouble when you're shoving me away." Hutch laughed dodging the hand that reached out to swat him.

"What’s for dinner Hutch 'm starved?" Starsky pouted with a gleam in his eye.

"How about me?" Hutch licked his lips.

Starsky shook his head. "Nope. You're for dessert. I'm serious babe, I really am hungry." As if to emphasize the point his tummy growled loudly.

"I can't have you fading away on me." Hutch stood and pulling on his lower lip wondered what to make.

"Anything babe." Starsky smiled up at him. "As long as it's quick and relatively spicy."

Hutch snorted and gazed back down at his lover. "And you haven't already thought of the frozen burritos in the freezer?"

"Might a crossed my mind." Starsky removed a nonexistent piece of lint from his thigh. "Only they're in the fridge now I took 'em out this mornin'."

"Well there goes my next excuse to get you to eat something more healthy." Hutch started towards the kitchen, opening the fridge, sure enough the package was there.

Creely parked around the corner. After carefully checking and seeing that the entire street seemed clear and quiet he casually strolled down the sidewalk. The few other people out didn’t give him a second look. He froze as a patrol car turned onto the street slowly coming his way. Hurrying his step he kept his head down walking right by the Torino, the Fairmont and Venice Place not risking a look at any of the three such as he had intended beforehand. Silently cursing the blond's seemingly endless supply of good fortune, he rounded the corner and broke into a run to make it back to the rental. He could almost sense that if he made it at all, it would be close.

Starsky moved to the window to peer out, while Hutch wrestled with the wrappings, smiling as he noted the cruiser coming slowly down the block. His eyes fell to the man hunched over and hurrying down the sidewalk, suspicion quickly replaced idle curiosity. "Shit! Hutch! That's him!"

(17)

Starsky had grabbed his 9mm and was out the door, Hutch looked up just in time to see the blur fly out and thump down the stairs before he himself grabbed his own weapon and went out the back, accidentally knocking over a potted plant on the way.

Hutch briefly caught sight of a hatted man hurriedly crossing the street far down the block and tore off after him. Starsky was tearing down the street on the other side of the building, positive that his quarry was the man he had glimpsed rounding the corner.

The officer driving the squad car caught sight of the curly haired detective in the rear view mirror and quickly did a u-turn with siren switched on it roared back down the street quickly catching up with the panting detective. "It's Creely! Go!" Starsky yelled, not breaking stride he pointed ahead. "He just went around the corner!"

Both officers nodded, remembering the man they had seen on the sidewalk only a few moments before, and sped ahead, lights flashing.

Creely made it to his car in record time, the wail of sirens causing him to break out in a run, fumbling with his keys he quickly put the car in gear and shot down an alley and out onto another street, glancing repeatedly
in the mirror he finally let out a long breath he hadn't realized he was holding. The siren was fading and he knew the police had missed him, turning in the opposite direction.

Starsky and Hutch met at the end of the block, the blond limping slightly as both men gasped for air. "You see 'im?"

"Uh huh. He took off at a dead run when he heard the siren." Hutch was still watching the street he’d seen his enemy run down.

"It was him wasn't it?" Starsky nodded, confirming his own question.

"I didn't really get a good look, but I'm pretty sure." Hutch managed placing a hand on his partner's shoulder, lifting his leg he bent down to rub a bare foot. "I think I have a piece of glass in my foot."

"Sit down. I'll take a look." Starsky tore his eyes off the path his nemesis had taken.

"I think I'd rather just hobble back and look at it myself." Hutch grinned at the sight they'd make as his partner mothered him on the street at the same time wiping the small streak of blood on his fingers onto his jeans.

"Wonder if the boys caught up with 'im." Starsky winced at the little bit of red just before Hutch wiped it away.

"Doubt it." Hutch shook his head. "He slipped up, but he's still pretty slick." Hutch removed his hand from his lovers shoulder and turned to limp carefully back towards the apartment.

With a final look back at where the man they were certain to be Creely had eluded them, Starsky turned to follow, scowling, his eyes noting the small marks that remained on his beloved's back. "Let's just hope he
slips up again."

"Come on Starsk. The burritos should be nearly ready." Hutch tried not to grimace as he hobbled down the sidewalk, ignoring the stares coming from a few windows. "I wonder what he was planning to do?"

"Prob'ly just wanted ta remind us again that he's out here." Starsky muttered glancing again back down the street. "It worked too."

Back at the apartment, Hutch sat on the couch struggling with a pair of tweezers to remove the sliver of glass as Starsky lifted their dinner from the oven. "Got it!" Hutch held the tiny piece up.

Starsky smiled from the kitchen. "Don't forget ta clean it and put a band aid on."

"Yes mom." Hutch chuckled and set the tweezers and their prize in an ashtray.

"Don't get mouthy with me or I'll send ya to your room." Starsky teased. "Dinner is served.†He brought a couple of plates out to the living room.

Hutch picked up the backing from the band aid and the ashtray and went into the bathroom to dispose of them, washing his hands before he returned. His brunette came back from the kitchen this time with a couple of beers. "Don't we get utensils?"

"Nope." Starsky sat down beside the blond handing him a beer. "Why dirty more dishes than we have to."

"You're a heathen." Hutch smiled picking up one of his two then winced dropping it back down. "Ow! That's hot!."

"I slave over making a meal for ya an' ya call me names." Starsky grinned. Taking care, he lifted one of his own. "Things that come out of an oven are supposed to be hot."

"Smart ass." Hutch laughed.

"Ding bat."

"Dough head."

"Dough head?" Starsky giggled. "That's a new one."

"I just thought of it?" Hutch too was chuckling. "You like it."

"Enough that I may have ta borrow it from time ta time." Starsky washed down a bite with a sip of beer. Getting serious he studied his lovers profile for a moment before adding. "How does him showin' up like that make ya feel?"

Hutch set his burrito down, chewing thoughtfully before swallowing and responding. "I'm not sure. Brings back a lot of not so great memories though."

"That's what I thought." Starsky reached out to brush his blonds cheek with the back of his hand. "Right when I thought the nightmares were going away."

"Thanks to you they are." Hutch leaned into the caress. "Or at least I don't remember any of them."

"You still belt me every now and then in your sleep." Starsky turned his hand to cup the much loved face, running his thumb over the decadent lower lip.

"I hit you?" Hutch pulled his head back, eyes wide in shock.

"Not hard babe, and not all that often." Starsky smiled. "Once I hold ya you settle down."

"I'm sorry Starsk. Why didn't you tell me?" Hutch leaned back into the waiting palm.

"It's not like you could stop yourself Blintz." Starsky shrugged. "Now eat up I want desert."

Hutch smiled. "Me too. I almost forgot about that part."

"Despite Creely and all, I haven't." Starsky waggled his eyebrows, removing his hand he too resumed eating. "Got any ideas on how you want to set him up?"

"Well I still have to buy a new car." Hutch nodded taking another bite. "I'm going to call and see if Merle wants to haul the fairmont away and use it for parts."

"He still might not take the bait the first time or two you're out there." Starsky frowned reaching again for the beer. "Fat chance Merle will be able ta find anything even remotely salvageable on the piece of junk, it was all spare parts ta begin with. After ya splurge on spendin' 500 bucks for a new wonder, what do ya plan on usin' the rest of the money for?" Starsky asked, knowing full well that Hutch wouldn't dream of buying anything new.

"I was going to surprise you." Hutch looked up, a twinge of guilt lurking in his eyes.

"On what?" Curiosity peaked as Starsky got excited and the little boy in him surfaced.

Hutch laughed as his brunette edged closer to the edge of the couch, his bundle tensing as eagerness ran through him. "I was thinking of buying us a house until all this happened."

"A house!?" Starsky sputtered, that being the last thing he was expecting.

"Yeah. You know one of those stand alone structures with a yard." Hutch swallowed thickly. "That is if you want to."

"Live together?" Starsky grinned at the thought. "I never thought a that, it's a terrific idea Hutch."

"Really? I mean we practically live together now, I just thought it might be nice to make it more permanent." Hutch smiled back, relief flooding through him.

"Less rent too." Starsky nodded his head vigorously his food forgotten. "I got some money saved to help with the down payment."

"Keep it. I got the loan to help buy some new furniture, I already have enough for the house." Wiping his hands on his thighs Hutch grinned.

"How 'bout ya give the money back to the bank and let me pay for the furniture." Starsky scowled not liking the idea of his blond dipping so far into his inheritance. "Nobody buys a house outright babe."

"That's only because most people can't afford to and we can Gordo." Hutch knew what his lover was thinking and quickly added. "Besides what's the point of having all that money if I never use it?"

Frowning Starsky again studied his blond. "How much are ya plannin' on paying for this place? I mean why bother with a loan at all?"

"I want us to have something fairly big with lots of privacy, we'll need that Starsk." Hutch leaned back his light blue eyes not leaving his lover. "I got the loan because I do want to keep a good chunk of what my grandfather gave me aside just in case we ever need it to live off of it."

"Four extra grand would hardly make a dent Blintz." Starsky was fully aware of just how much his lover had squired away.

"I know, but still I don't want IA snooping to far into our lives. The loan would be something logical for anyone buying a house to take out." Hutch bit his lip knowing his partner was thinking deeply.

"Most people take out a mortgage babe. You don't think the powers that be will wonder about why we didn't?" Starsky grinned cocking an eyebrow.

"I didn't think of that." Hutch grudgingly admitted.

Starsky snorted. "Good thing ya told me about this before ya went shoppin'. How about we both go see about a mortgage we can pay it off real quick if ya want and the snoop dogs will have less reason ta
start pokin' around."

Hutch beamed at him. "I'm so glad I married you."

Starsky flushed as a warm glow centered around his soul quickly enveloping the rest of him. "'M so glad I caught ya."

They both gazed sappily at each other, a knock on the door breaking their stare. Starsky jumped to his feet at the same time Hutch snatched his weapon from the coffee table. "Who is it?"

"Police sir."

After the officers reported that they failed to catch the suspect and left with hearty thanks from both detectives Starsky shut the door locking it behind them. "Well looks like you were right and he slithered away again."

"Surprise. Surprise." Hutch sighed.

"Hey?" Starsky leaned back against the door.

"What?" Hutch looked up from playing with his hands.

"How 'bout dessert?"

Hutch licked his lips. "Oh yeah. We never did get to that yet." He grinned devilishly.

"I know." Starsky returned the smile with a lecherous one of his own. "Believe me I know."

(18)

Hutch woke in near complete blackness, the only light entering the apartment coming from the streetlight outside and the stove light Starsky liked to keep on so he wouldn't trip over anything if he had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. He wasn't sure what woke him, the excitement of he and his brunette officially living together or another nightmare, but strongly suspected it was the latter. Glancing at the alarm
clock he nearly groaned seeing that it was nearly three am, knowing that he had slept enough that he wouldn't be able to get more. Rising quietly he threw on a pair of track pants and slipped out of the bedroom.

Making a pot of coffee he looked towards the greenhouse, only now remembering that he had knocked Tina off her perch, a small staghorn fern she was too young yet to be tied to a stake. Starsky had slipped from
the bedroom after their lovemaking, double checking the doors to make sure they were locked, apparently he had also taken pity on the young plant and had uprighted her, pushing the broken clay towards the base of the broken pot. Picking it up he went back to the kitchen and set it on the table. Pouring he coffee he bent down and rooted through the cupboard under the sink where he had a few extra pots and a half bag of soil, deciding that she was close enough to needing a re-plant, chose one slighter bigger than the one she was in.

Spreading some newspapers out he was puttering happily when a slight movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. Snapping his head around he was surprised to see his partner leaning against the door frame an amused expression on his face, love twinkling in his eyes.

"Little early ta be playin' botanist isn't it babe?" With his shoulder Starsky pushed himself away and walked towards his blond.

Hutch flushed a little. "Yeah well, she's pretty delicate and I wanted to get her settled before the shock started to turn her leaves brown." Hutch smiled warmly. "I didn't wake you did I Gordo?"

"Nah. That poor substitute of a pillow ya left me ta cuddle with did." Starsky stretched and scratched his stomach before pulling out a chair and taking a seat. "Another dream?"

"Maybe. I don't know." Hutch shrugged going to the counter to get his lover a coffee. "Just knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep."

"When do ya see the department head doc?" Starsky asked knowing that his blond had gone to make an appointment.

"Not for another week." Hutch carefully worked his hands in around and under the roots of the fern.

Starsky looked at him incredulously. "Another week!?"

"Yeah." Hutch paused to glance at his brunette "Simpson is on holidays until next Monday."

"Isn't there a sub for her while she's gone?" Starsky frowned thinking that his blond had gone quite long enough not getting enough sleep, the dark circles were beginning to look like bruises under the beautiful eyes and he had definitely lost more weight than he could afford.

Hutch had carefully moved Tina into her new home and began to pack more soil from the bag around her. "I don't want to see a temp. I'd only have to re-hash everything all over again when she comes back. It's probably going to be a waste of time anyway. I never remember them anymore, I don't even know if that's what's been waking me up."

"Whether ya are or not the whole thing is taking it's toll on ya Blintz." Starsky stood up and reached into the bag grabbing a handful of dirt, copying his lover's actions he began to pack the other side of the plant. "Leaves look like antlers."

"They're supposed to hon, it's called a staghorn fern." Hutch loved it when on rare occasions his partner took an interest in his plants.

"Don't do that." Starsky looked over. "You're tryin' ta avoid the main topic again." He added at his blond's questioning glance.

"Of course it's wearing me down Starsk, but it's not much easier on you either. I'll just be glad when this is all over." Finished Hutch turned to rinse his hands under the tap.

"'M not the one that had the day lights scared outta me Hutch." Starsky followed rubbing his shoulder up against the blond's while waiting his own turn to rinse. "Let me re-phrase that, I was scared ta death, but not by what was done to me but what was happening ta you. Not nearly the same thing, terrifyin' as hell, but even close ta bein' the same. I think I woulda cracked, and ended up in a rubber room, if a mountain lion was considering me for it's next meal." Starsky shuddered, slipping his hands under the faucet as Hutch picked up a tea towel and began to dry his own.

"Sure wasn't one of the best experiences I've ever had." Hutch leaned over to plant a sloppy kiss on a slightly whiskered cheek. "Wondering when the next train was going to come barrelling at me wasn't exactly conductive to a healthy state of mind either." He chuckled.

"I hardly think it's funny." Starsky turned off the tap and snatched the towel out of his lover's hand.

"It isn't, but it helps a little if I try and see it that way." Hutch shrugged picking up the freshly potted plant and taking it back to the greenhouse he re-set it on it's stand.

"You're very weird." Starsky smiled understanding perfectly his lover's logic. "Since we have close to four hours before we need ta leave for work what would ya like us ta do?"

"I don't know. You can try going back to bed we still have a lot of time left." Hutch smiled

"Naw, I just had a coffee and I don't like being in bed if you're not beside me." Starsky grinned back. "After the re-plant what would ya have done if I didn't get up?"

Hutch's smile turned meek. "I was thinking of maybe cleaning out the cupboards or maybe defrosting the fridge."

"You're one helluva fun guy, don't let anyone tell ya different babe." Starsky snorted. "Okay. How 'bout I get started on the fridge and you get goin' on the cupboards."

By the time the duo made it into work they both felt they had already completed a full day. Working happily side by side they almost didn't have time to get cleaned up before leaving the apartment, Starsky's quest for donuts causing them to slip in fifteen minutes late.

"Get in here you two!" Dobey bellowed from his office through the open door before they even made it to their desks.

"Mornin' cap." Starsky said with a rakish grin, Hutch coming in behind him only nodded.

"It is anything but a good morning Starsky!" He glared at the both men.

"I never said it was a goo.."

"Starsky!" Hutch cut his lover off before he could make their superior's mood any worse than what it seemed to be.

"I want to know why the hell I never heard about what happened last night! Last night." Dobey picked up and then tossed back down what looked to be neatly typed incident reports. "And why I have to find out first thing this morning not only not from my own men but from a couple of nearly rookie uniforms. Do you have any idea how many calls I've had to answer regarding a couple of semi-naked men waving guns running through the streets. Coincidentally these same two individuals were spotted in your neighborhood Hutchinson, bearing eerily similar descriptions of the two of you." After sharing matching guilty looks Starsky and Hutch took turns explaining their version of the night before, in the end Hutch turned the conversation around to where he thought the best way to finally get Creely would be if he set himself up for another grab. Just as with his lover, Dobey at first protested, and then with Starsky explaining his own reluctance and finally acceptance, he came around. Although like the brunette he still didn't like the idea.

"You do realize Starsky that he knows you and what you look like, therefore you'll have to stay back from being anywhere near Hutch." Dobey looked carefully at the detective.

Starsky snapped his head up his eyes widening. "No Cap! I gotta be in range."

"He's right Starsk." Hutch reached over giving his partner's knee a squeeze. "He'll never try another go at me unless he's sure I'm alone."

Starsky pushed the hand away, angry that his lover had already realized that this was how it would go down. "Forget the whole thing Capn'."

"There will be other undercovers placed all around Starsky, he'll be well watched believe me." Dobey stated clearly, his mind made up he was thinking of who he could use to put in place.

Starsky bit his lower lip, clenching his jaw. The tone of his Captain's voice telling him that the decision to go ahead with the plan was already a firm affirmative.

"It'll work out Starsk." Hutch tried to soothe the tension. "Look Captain, isn't there a way we could have Starsky close by maybe just hidden out of sight?"

"No Hutch. I don't think so. We would have to plant Starsky at the car lot long before you arrive, that would leave you vulnerable for a few too long until you got there." Dobey shook his head. "I think Creely should be able to see Starsky drop you off and then drive away."

"I won't be drivin' far." Starsky's eyes bore into his boss's, daring him to say differently.

"You won't have to Gordo." Hutch broke in. "Once the Torino is out of sight he'll be focusing all his attention on me. At least I hope so." His last sentence didn't match the chicken skin that broke out on his arms as he shuddered.

Starsky turned his gaze to his partner, eyes dripping with a mix of fear and anger. "We're gonna have a little chat about this buddy boy."

"You can talk about it in your own time!" Dobey spoke up a little louder than necessary. "Right now I want to see your own reports on what happened last night while I see who I have available to watch Hutch's back."

Starsky didn't wait to see if there was anymore to be said and flew from the office slamming the door behind him as he went.

"You sure you're up to this Hutch?" Dobey asked softly as his fair-haired officer stood.

"Honestly?" Hutch smiled ruefully continuing after a curt nod from Dobey. "I really don't know. Scared I guess, but I really don't know what else we can do to flush him out."

"I don't think there is any other way Hutch." Dobey smiled, grimly wondering if this would be one of the last times he saw one of his favored sons alive. "You just be careful out there."

(19)

Hutch went back into the squad room, quietly shutting the door behind him. Starsky was pounding furiously at his typewriter refusing to acknowledge the blond's return. Hutch moved around and took a
seat at his own desk averting his own eyes in case his partner looked at him. He knew he was in for it the first chance they would be alone, and lifted a form of his own going over in his mind what he wanted to put down in his report.

Starsky fumed, realizing he was using the erase key more than he was getting letters down that remotely formed any sort of coherent sentence. Giving up he ripped the sheet out crumpled it up and tossed it aside. He picked up a pencil and began to play with it, shooting irate glances across the desks. "You knew this was gonna be how it all went and you couldn't fill me in?" He hiss whispered.

"If you thought about it a little more..if you could get your mind off me and get back to thinking like a cop you would have known it yourself." Hutch shot back. Straightening up he stopped working himself. "I'm not really thrilled with having myself out there as bait Starsk,but I'll be damned if the way we've been living is going to go on the way it has been. I think I'd rather die." His voice faded as he added the last.

"Don't talk like that." Starsky paled visibly. "Don't ever, EVER talk like that."

"It's the truth." Hutch replied softly.

"Go ta hell!" Starsky snapped noticing for the first time that they were now alone in the room.

"Fuck you! Been there, didn't care for the extras." Hutch's own jaw clamped down, looking away he tried to hide the sting those three little words coming from his partner and aimed at him caused.

"'M..."

"The way I see it Starsk, is that if he gets me I'm not going to be as lucky as the first time, and if I continue to hide he may as well have won anyway." He smiled almost painfully. "How long do you think we can go on like this Gordo before we started hating each other? A month? Year?" Hutch's voice dropped to a barely heard murmur. "It's already starting, not hate not even close, but resentment will start worming it's way in eventually. Hell there isn't even the beginning of a wedge, but I can see it coming down the line. When's the last time you told me to go to hell or I told you to fuck off?"

"Never one right after the other." Starsky suddenly realized how true his blond's words were. "I just can't stand knowing you'll be out there without me ta watch your back."

"Do you really think I would be willing to do this if I thought for even a second that you wouldn't be with me?" Hutch took a deep breath and looked towards the ceiling.

"How can I be? You heard Dobey...an' he's right. Creely sees me and he'll never make a move on ya." Starsky's anger had diminished, the fear taking over completely.

Hutch spared a quick glance around the empty squad room before reaching over the desk to his lover, partner, everything, placing the smaller hand in his own. "I'll wear a wire, a homing device..hell babe I'll dye my hair bright orange. I have to do this Starsk I don't want to have this guy hanging over our heads for days, months or even years."

"'M sorry." Starsky watched as the long fingers wrapped around his own and squeezed them, then ran his thumb up and over to stroke the slightly calloused hand of his love. "I can't help think that somethin' is gonna go wrong."

"No guarantees hon." Hutch sucked in his lower lip. "Believe me I'm not looking forward to any slip ups."

"Let’s get these reports done." Starsky smiled bravely, after what had happened to his blond before, he couldn't comprehend how much strength it took for his love to set himself up. Ignoring his own words for a few more minutes he stared in wonderment at his partner, the blond hair seeming to shimmer, creating a halo around his lover. "Don't dare dye your hair babe. You already glow in the dark, not ta mention orange isn't your color."

Hutch took a mug shot of Creely out of his breast pocket and studied it thoughtfully, trying to picture the man cleaned up and shaven. The long scraggly black hair and rough beard overshadowed the intense almost maniacal stare coming from the hazel eyes. The rugged features were almost handsome under the beard and he knew the man was nearly his own height and well built. "I wonder what makes a person go off the deep end and live a life like his." He mused rubbing his chin.

"Don't you dare start feelin' sorry for him Hutch." Starsky could almost see the wheels turning in his lover's head and knew that in a few minutes the blond would start to do just that. "We don't need ta know or care what makes him tick."

"I know." Hutch smiled putting the photo back in his pocket. "Still it makes me curious."

"Yeah well ya know what they say about curiosity and the cat tiger." Starsky shuddered.

Hutch nodded solemnly and doubled his efforts to get his report finished.

It took a few hours to choose a large car lot, the owner leery though happy to assist the police in setting up. Several officers posing as salesmen and mechanics were put in place. More detectives were strategically placed as homeless or hookers around the immediate vicinity. A couple of smaller built men were disguised as kids shooting hoops in the empty school yard next door.

Creely had changed vehicles after abandoning the rental, certain that the police had made the plates and would trace him, false ID or not, to the agency. He liberated a panel van from the warehouse district that someone had conveniently left the keys in the ignition. Parking a few blocks from the police station he waited patiently for the dark man's hideously though blessedly bright car to pass. He was counting on being able to hang back far enough from the pair, the brilliant red leading him on from a goodly distance.

Dobey hung up the phone biting his lower lip. "Alright. Let's get this going." He stood himself as his two favorite detectives rose and headed out the door, both of them looking resigned. "Make sure you're be careful out there Hutch."

"I plan to Cap." Hutch stood back holding the door, letting Dobey pass before him.

"Ya damn well better be." Starsky muttered, his stomach twisting with knots of fear. He stood before his partner opening the tan jacket to verify that the homing device was still safely tucked into the lining.

"It's sewn in Starsk, it isn't going to pop out." Hutch tried to reassure his partner, his own gut clenching and unclenching. He was also wired, the tape holding it at the small of his back beginning to itch.

Starsky nodded, gently touching his blond's belly before following the Captain out into the hall.

Creely was puzzled as to why the detectives had pulled into a used car lot, but didn't care after the blond got out and waved as the brunette sped almost angrily away. The cop he hated watched until the vehicle disappeared around a corner then began to stroll around looking at various cars that seemed to catch his eye. Knowing what the cop was driving around in before, he understood that he must be shopping for a newer piece of trash. Rubbing his hands in glee he suspected very strongly that they were trying to set him up. He knew that the brunette would never have willingly left his partner alone and out in the open. Swinging binoculars around he was certain that two of the people around were undercover, but wasn't sure of the others, the kids looked real enough. He was also positive that there would be other cops in the building and that the suit walking towards the blond was in all likelihood another under the guise of being a salesman.

Hutch held his hand out as the salesman came up to him. "See anything Keith?" He asked as they shook hands.

"Not a thing Hutch." The husky black officer responded. His head completely shaven shone under the sun.

Starsky parked nervously a couple of blocks away wishing he could be listening to what was happening on the wire, it was a small token that he had the second part of the homing device with him. He prayed that he
wouldn't have to use it, he turned it on, the tiny flashing light easing his mind somewhat as it quietly let him know that his blond hadn't moved.

Creely tried to formulate a plan while watching the duo move around the lot seeming to discuss prices. He grinned as they even popped open a few hoods pretending to check the engines. Moving from his seat briefly he unlatched the sliding door, thinking that if he moved in real fast he could have the blond knocked out and be driving away before any of the others realized what was happening. Noting that the lot wasn't fenced, he decided that he could pull in easily enough and drive over a curb if necessary on his way out. Turning the key and starting the van up, he eased out of his parking spot choosing another even closer then he left the engine running, knowing that he would probably only get one shot if he was lucky and 'the salesman' left.

Hutch and Keith both tried to hide the fact that they were watching for any sign of Creely, Hutch even finding himself interested in a few of the cars they had stopped to inspect. His sharp gaze noticed a
panel van pull into a parking spot on the street about a block down, but his eyes passed over before registering that the driver didn't get out. He licked his lips his mouth feeling like it was full of cotton. "Think I could get a glass of water or something Keith?"

"Yeah. I'll get it." Came the reply. "Pretty nervous work isn't it? I think I'll get one myself. You'll be okay for a minute?"

"I'll be fine. Think I might take another look at that one." Hutch nodded towards an ugly pea green buick that caught his eye.

"Be right back." Keith patted the blond's arm before hurrying back towards the office.

Creely moved as soon as he saw the other man move away and slowly entered the lot. There were now a few other people looking at vehicles, his suspicions confirmed when no salespeople approached them.

Hutch was carefully sizing up one man that was looking at a car in the opposite direction, trying to get a look at his face after seeing that he had the same build as Creely. "There's someone here that could be him, but I can't get a look at his face." He spoke lowly letting the other officers try and get a bead on the man. "He's looking at a pale blue Pontiac."

Creely was lined up in the same aisle as the blond and gunned the engine, shooting forward he opened his door just as the cop was turning around and slammed it into him sending him flying. Throwing the van into park he was out and had the unconscious officer up and over his shoulder and thrown into the back managing to slide the door closed just as shouts of 'FREEZE POLICE!' reverberated all around him, none of them close enough to cause much worry. He ran to the other side and had the van in motion long before anyone got close and squealed away, not needing to go over a curb after all.

Dobey had come flying out in time to see the van make it onto the main road before quickly running back to radio Starsky. "Go Starsky!!" He all but screamed. "Creely's got him!"

(20)

Starsky was already screeching down the street the rapidity of the small red light moving across the screen telling him that something had gone horribly wrong. Siren blaring and mars light flashing he careened around the corner of the car lot just as Dobey’s yell crackled through. Grabbing the mic he too shouted. "Goddamn it Cap, what's he drivin'?!"

"Panel!" Dobey heard the siren and looked out the window just in time to see the Torino, over the sea of used cars, roar past. It was followed quickly by three black and whites. "Don't do anything stupid Starsky! And keep me informed." Not waiting for an answer he tossed down his own mic and hurried back outside to quickly climb into the waiting unmarked car, the driver was Keith. Dobey spent the next several minutes
chewing a strip off the guilt stricken man.

"Fuck! Fuck! Triple Fuck!" Starsky spat between clenched teeth, pounding the steering wheel with each curse. He was too enraged to allow fear to yet snake it's way back in around his heart. The majority of his focus rested on getting Creely with a little left over for whoever it was that screwed up back at the car lot. Elation slammed into him when he spotted what could only be the van carrying his Hutch, the erratic driving and reckless speed almost certainly giving it away. Picking up the mic he called in the sighting, quickly shouting out the intersecting street names. "Get a Goddamn chopper up here ta help!"

Creely spotted the red car with light flashing speeding behind him, trying valiantly and succeeding, he made a too fast turn, the van going up momentarily on two wheels before slamming back down. He knew that if he kept the van he would have a prayer of getting his prize away. Getting onto the freeway he was pleased at the distance he had ahead of his pursuers. Getting off at the next exit he slowed his speed slightly after zig zagging down a few side streets until he spotted a young woman parked outside a small house get out her car still leaving it running. Pulling in beside the Nova he quickly dragged the blond out and tossed him unceremoniously into the back seat before dashing around and getting behind the wheel, the woman yelling as she came back out of the house and chasing her car down the driveway.

Starsky swore again at the distance still between he and his lover though he was glad that he could measure it. Following far behind but getting closer he too exited the freeway intently following the directions the little dot gave him now that he had lost the visual entering a residential area. He stopped the Torino puzzled as the tracking device showed that his blond had stopped for a few moments and was now coming back towards him. Looking all around he could see no sign of the panel. Glancing back to the screen he saw
that the speck had now passed him heading back towards the freeway, he realized that he must be on the wrong street and sped up, flying around the block instantly spotting the van and a harried looking woman
standing in the street. "What's your car look like!?"

"It's a..it's a Chevy..a Nova. Mustard yellow." She replied amazed that the police had responded before she even had a chance to call.

Starsky sped away leaving her gaping after him and reported it in.

Hutch blinked a few times his head pounding unmercifully. With a sinking feeling he knew that something had happened and that he was back in Creely's clutches again. Thinking hard the last thing he could remember was Starsky dropping him off and driving away with a warning to stay sharp. Stifling a moan he tried to remain calm, relieved that at least this time he hadn't been bound. Besides his head, he thought that if his left arm wasn't broken than it had come pretty damn close, his barely healed ribs were also singing a fresh tune loaded with suffering.

Creely cursed when he checked the rear-view and saw that the damnable partner was once again on his tail, this time with plenty of company. He glanced towards the back seat, though not being able to see anything except the blond's bent legs. He pondered in a near panic what to do, determining that the police must have a tracking device on the hated man behind him. Taking the next off ramp he knew he wouldn't have a chance to strip the blond down and get away again before the cops were all over him. Skidding to a halt down a back alley he quickly got out, opening the rear door he slammed a tightly clenched fist into the blond's face the cartilage squishing as blood spurted from the flattened nostrils, before dashing away in the opposite direction of the approaching sirens.

Starsky braked hard just outside the alley entryway thrusting the gear into park he pounded off towards the Nova shouting for an ambulance without breaking stride. Panting heavily he stopped abruptly at the partially opened back door, sinking slowly to his knees he gently took his lover's face in both hands, wincing at the size of the lump his right palm molded around, and turned it to the side to let the blood drip into the seat instead of down his blond's throat. "Can ya hear me Hutch?"

Hutch thought he was dreaming and smiled a little as his lover's voice touched his heart.

"Ambulance is on the way sir." It was Sam that had just run down the alley stopping a respectful distance at the trunk. "Anything we can do sir?"

"Yeah. Get some units out there scourin' this area for him, he's on foot so let’s try an' not let him get a chance ta get his hands on another vehicle."

"Right!" Sam grinned in awe at how level headed his hero was and ran back down towards where his car was parked behind the Torino.

Starsky had taken a handkerchief from the inside pocket of his blond's jacket and begun carefully wiping away the blood. "Did ya hear that Hutch? Help’s on the way." He sniffed trying to hide the tears at the huge
welt that seemed to be growing even more while he looked, almost jumping when a beautiful bit of blue winked out beneath a half open lid.

"That really you Starsk?" Hutch forced out between partially parted lips.

"You betcha it's me babe." Starsky brushed the hair from the adored forehead and leaned forward letting his lips rest near the temple for a few moments relishing just being able to smell his lover's intoxicating scent.

"I feel like my face caved in." Hutch tried to chuckle,* a bubble of blood forming and bursting from between his teeth.

Though sore he was none the worse for wear as the paramedics wheeled his lover back down toward the ambulance, nose taped and ribs re-wrapped. The lacerations on his hip and side amounted to nothing more
than road burn. The ugly knot on the side of the blond's head was the biggest cause for concern. The doctor on duty when he arrived at the hospital wanted to keep him in for observation.

"Got a safe Haven for goldie, and a lead on the dude tryin' ta hurt Mr. Wonderful." Huggy hovered protectively over the blond as well as standing stoutly beside his long time friend of many years. He had only arrived a short time before. The excitement and worry dying down Dobey thought that Starsky would appreciate having the Bear with him and called to tell him what happened.

"What lead, and where's the house?" Starsky asked curtly, eyes not leaving his unconscious blond.

"Remember Deadwood?" Huggy too had his soft brown orbs intent on the lump on the side of the fair head.

"I'll never forget it." Starsky simply replied.

Huggy nodded. "Well a certain John Smith called me and reported that the same individual that was sharing accommodations with us on a particular night was back in town."

Starsky's eyes shot to the side. "He went back?"

"Apparently so." Huggy also turned his face to the side with a sly grin. "Holed up in a little shack just outside of the village."

"Who else have ya told?" Starsky reached up and gripped the thin arm tightly, cobalt boring into the milky brown.

"Not a soul bro'." Huggy brought his other hand up to place over his heart. "Me..you and Mr. Smith are the only folks on the planet that know, he didn't even tell Miss snooty."

Starsky gritted his teeth, bending down to place a comforting hand on his lover's forehead. "I owe ya Hug."

"Seems ta me that fearful fillin' Freddy is the one that owes." Huggy tentatively brought a thin hand up, even though his bicep hurt from where it had been squeezed, and laid it on the muscled back.

"Not without me." Hutch opened his eyes, his lashes gently brushing his lover's chin as Starsky leaned in close for a better look at the side of his head, catching the last bit of conversation and knowing that his partner was about to take off and go after Creely on his own. "Not without me." He repeated faintly.

"Where is this place we can take 'im Hug?" Starsky knew that if he took off on his own that the blond, no matter what shape he was in, would follow. Hoping that Hutch wouldn't notice he thought if he could only be gone for fifteen, twenty minutes max, that his lover would think twice about following.

One hand still rubbing the brunette's back, Huggy leaned forward and lightly pressed his other hand over the blond's thigh. "Nice little place near the beach." Huggy removed both hands. "Listen to your partner man and don't do it!"

Huggy watched carefully,fully aware that the blond was alert and pretending not to be. "What do ya wanna do Starsk?"

"I havta use the can." Starsky replied, rushing off towards the small washroom. "I'll be right back, then we can take him to the house."

"Don't let him go Hug." Hutch whispered, nose taped, he found it hard to speak let alone plead.

"Take it easy Sunshine!" Huggy knew he was a poor substitute, but wanted to comfort anyhow.

"Fuck off! He's gone already!" Hutch pulled himself up and staggered around for a few minutes before finding his clothes, ripping out the IV in the process.

"You aint ready ta take off blondie." Huggy tossed an ineffectual arm across the blond.

"I'm as ready as I can be Hug!" Hutch spit out. "I got a bump on the head a smashed nose and a bit of road burn, big fucking deal! Starsky isn't going alone! Get me a car or get the hell out of my way!"

"Got the car. Well actually it strongly resembles Dobey's, but ya got me riding shotgun blondie!" Huggy quickly got out of the way, but followed hot on the heels of his wobbly though determined friend.

(21)

"How's your arm?" Huggy asked as he opened the passenger side door and climbed in.

"Fine." Hutch mumbled, at the same time taking off the sling, it was banged up pretty good and bruised, but he had full use of the limb, maybe a little weaker than it normally was he thought it would do for the time being. Getting behind the wheel he adjusted the seat and mirrors and started the engine, before starting out he tore the bandage from his nose. "So where did he go Hug?" He glanced over at his slim companion at the same time pulling out of the parking lot.

"Deadwood." The Bear looked nervously behind and around them. "Keep going straight and get on the freeway westbound."

"Charming name. Is this the same place that Starsky said that you and he slept with Creely under the same roof?" Hutch cast another look over at Huggy.

"The one and the same." Huggy nodded.

With a curt nod, Hutch clenched his jaw, his nose was killing him and he was finding it a little hard to breathe, not used to having to do it from his mouth only. Although he knew it could have been worse, his cheek had taken a good portion of the blow and was turning an ugly shade of blue. Even though his arm hadn't been broken it still throbbed painfully, much worse than what he let on to his dark companion. The various aches he used to drive him on, the fear that his partner could face worse injuries bringing him to push the sedan to its maximum as he shot onto the freeway.

Starsky finally made it to the small town, and pulled to a stop in front of the combination inn and bar. Getting out he looked warily all around before going up the front steps and letting himself in.

"Well I'll be danged! I if it isn't..hold on now let me guess. David Starsky!" The older man practically skipped around the bar. "I never forget a name..lord knows I don't see too many new folks mind you, helps make the forgettin' harder."

"Hello Mr. Smith." Starsky smiled at the man's enthusiasm and held his hand out to allow it to be pumped vigorously. "I was hopin' you could tell me where I could find Fred Creely..the guy that we were looking for the last time Huggy and I were here?"

"That good lookin' blond fella? Your bear friend tole me he was safe 'n sound?" Smith bit his lip and looked puzzled still not releasing Starsky's hand. "An by the gosh golly call me John."

"He is, John. It's the other one that I need ta find now." Starsky held his breath waiting for an answer while gently pulling his hand away.

"Oh yeah! That guy! Yup he's holed up at the old McKearn place, don't have a clue why though, that place is 'bout ready ta cave in on itself." He scratched his shaking head.

Letting out the air in a grateful rush Starsky asked. "Where is this place John?"

Creely had watched the curly haired partner drive into town and knew that the old man would send him off to the dump he had tried to find refuge in. He smiled, this was exactly what he had been counting on. He had purposely let his presence be known to the old man thinking, correctly, that the bar owner would call and report his whereabouts. He really held no malice towards the blond's partner, but thought maybe he could have some fun after capturing him before the one he wanted showed up, and show up he would, he doubted very much that either one liked to be away from their fuck buddy for longer than necessary. Slithering up the side of the veranda he bounced the rock he had picked out for this very purpose a few times as he held himself up against the outside wall beside the entrance.

"I can't thank you enough for all your help Mr..John." Starsky reached his hand out again for a goodbye shake. Turning he still had his head turned smiling back at the elderly man as he headed out the door. He didn't remember anything after that as he was struck from behind and fell into the rough and ready embrace.

Smith's eyes widened in shocked horror, freezing him in place for a few moments. It was long enough. Running to the door he got there just in time to see Creely drive off in the officers own car. He ran back, fumbling in his pockets for the number the ultra slim black man had given him.

"Down here." Huggy nodded towards a side road.

Hutch whizzed past the sign for the village slowing only when they approached the beginnings of the town. Huggy again directing, pointed him towards the Inn. Parking where his partner had not long before, Hutch and Huggy both got out, Hutch looking all around just as his lover had, before following the Bear up the steps and inside.

"Lord thunderin' Jesus! I been tryin' like a dickens ta get a hold of ya son!" John cried out the phone still at his ear.

"What's going on?" Hutch asked the panic stricken man.

"Holy crow! What the devil happened ta your face boy?" He again came around the counter reaching for Huggy's hand, his eyes raking over the tall blond. "Jeepers even with that mess you're still better lookin' than in the picture."

"Was Starsky here?" Huggy got in as his hand was clasped tightly in both of John's.

"He was here and now he's gone. That other fella knocked him a good one over the head and drove off in that rollin' cola ad."

"Where they go?" Hutch sprung forward his eyes flashing, barely restraining himself from grabbing the man by the shirt.

After giving the directions, John followed them as they ran out towards the car. "You want me ta call the sheriff?"

"No!" Hutch yelled over his shoulder. "Call Captain Dobey at metro in Bay City."

"Why not call the locals in Hutch?" Huggy looked across the seat quizzically.

"Sirens. If he hears sirens he might kill Starsky if he hasn't all ready." Hutch sucked in his lips, his heart thudding hard under his ribs.

Starsky groaned instinctively trying to reach for his head and finding that his hands had been tied behind his back and that he was missing most of his clothes. The smell of mildew assaulting his nostrils, the opening of his eyes adding to the pulsating throb shooting daggers through the back of his skull. He tried to flinch away from the prickly feel of the wall behind his bare back. Looking around the ruin of a house he could see that it was probably a centuries worth of torn and peeling wallpaper that was causing the itch.

"I see you’re awake."

Starsky snapped his head around as Creely came into the room, stepping over a fallen support beam a machete in hand. "What are you plannin' on doing with me?"

"I have no interest in you." Creely pulled over a rusted paint can and sat in front of the brunette just out of reach of the bound legs. "Mind you I think you have to pay for wrecking my original plans."

"You're the one that's gonna be payin' Creely." Starsky spat, his eyes not leaving the blade.

With a sinister laugh, Creely leaned over lightly swiping across the bare stomach, Starsky sucked in a breath at the sharp sting, as a thin line of blood oozed from the opening. "Know what I'm going to do to your partner when he comes looking for you? He would have been better off if you’d left him on the tracks."

"You stay away from him!" Creely was beginning to fade out as a ruby haze of rage filled the cobalt orbs.

Creely laughed harder. "You my dear man are the bait." He then swiped the blade upwards from naval to clavicle. "I'm going to filet your partner piece by piece until there's no more life in him, and you get to watch."

Starsky closed his eyes fighting back the pain. Trying to clear his head and think of a way of getting out of this, he was kicking himself for coming in alone and not bringing backup. He desperately hoped that Hutch
hadn't done the same thing, he knew that Creely was quite capable of doing exactly what his sick fantasies showed him.

"There. That's all I think for now." Creely had once again stroked the large knife over Starsky’s chest this time diagonally from right shoulder to near the left hip. "I imagine we'll have plenty of time to play before he gets here, he's probably just realizing now that you're gone."

Hutch pulled to a stop several hundred yards from where the house stood, both men could see the decaying roof over the tops of the trees. "Lets get closer Hug."

"Then what's the plan?" Huggy asked moving closer to the blond his eyes darting fearfully in all directions.

"I don't know yet." Hutch moved off the road and into the ditch. "Lets cut through the trees and try and come up in the back."

After impatiently pushing branches back with his magnum they came up just behind the run down structure, the near state of collapse creating an eerie aura around it. Crouching low behind the tree line, Hutch thought hard. "I want you to stay here Hug. I'm going to try and get closer and see if I can see anything inside."

"Sorry bro', that idea just won't cut it for the Bear. I'll be sneakin' right up there with you." Huggy didn't think the willies would keep at bay if he wasn't behind the man with the gun.

Hutch turned his head to look at him, then with a grim smile he nodded. "Okay Hug, but if I go in you're not."

"Roger that Hutch." Huggy grinned his eyes still darting every which way.

"Hopefully he's expecting us..or at least me to show up, and he’ll go out to check the road." Hutch waited until the dancing brown met his crystal. "If he does Hug, I want you to get in there. He'll have Starsky tied
up so undo him."

"Right. Um..what if he'..."

"He's not!" Hutch managed to yell without raising his voice above a low whisper. "He wouldn't kill him with me still running around. He's going to use Starsky to lure me in, or that's what his plan was."

"You sure?" Huggy asked.

"He wanted Smith to see him, he knew that he would call and that Starsky would come after him." Hutch eyed the gaping holes in the back of the house searching for movement. "Ready?"

"Not really."

"Let's go." Hutch grabbed a thin bicep and pulled Huggy along with him.

(22)

"It should almost be dark by the time he finally gets here." Creely had moved towards the large chasm that at one time contained the living room window, and peered out down the dirt driveway. "With only a few oil lamps with me I'll have to wait till sunrise to start carving."

"You're one sick bastard!" Starsky yelled, the almost continuous reference to what might become of his lover was finally taking its toll, and he was finding it harder and harder not to get the gruesome visual out of his mind, he could almost hear Hutch's screams, and wished desperately that his hands were untied so he could cover his ears.

"I was thinking of starting with his testicles." Creely mused aloud ignoring the brunette completely. "I'm pretty sure I can control the bleeding."

Starsky felt only a lurch as his stomach flipped and just managed to get his head turned to the side before vomiting, the lingering acid burning up his oesophagus, the smell combined with the mildew causing him to gag repeatedly until he eventually began to cough.

Hutch though still, froze further after hearing his Starsky yell at Creely. Hope surged through him along with relief that his partner was apparently not only alive but conscious. "They must be in what's left of the front room." He turned to whisper to Huggy. "That means he's watching the driveway, but I don't think he would believe I'm stupid enough to just pull up in front."

"When do you think he'll go check the road?" Huggy whispered back.

"No idea, but he must think that either I'm still in the hospital or that I just got out." Hutch nodded. "He was probably hoping to play some games with Starsky before I got here."

"You think he's already started?" Huggy gulped worriedly.

"Probably, but I don't think he would hurt him too bad until he's finished with me." Hutch lowered his voice even further, the stillness of the open country was disconcerting.

Captain Dobey had gone down to the cafeteria for something for lunch and to make a few calls to the office. An hour later he got back up only to find not only the blond's bed empty but all three of the men gone. Going back down to the admittance desk he was informed that his dark haired detective had hurriedly fled the hospital and that a very short time later the blond, along with a tall thin black man signed himself out and they left together. Scowling he marched out of the hospital, spinning around his eyes scanning the parking lot he found that now, not only were his boys missing, but so was his vehicle. "Huggy Bear!" Going back inside he called for a black and white to come and pick him up.

"That is so disgusting." Creely sneered pushing himself away from the opening, he turned back, walking menacingly towards the brunette. Placing the machete on the floor then grabbing a handful of the curls with one hand and a bare thigh with the other he abruptly pulled Starsky away dragging him down the length of wall and away from the reeking discharge.

Starsky yelped as his hair was pulled, at the same time glad to be moved away from the filth. "This comin' from a man that showers once a year." He couldn't help let out.

Creely slapped him hard across the face before retrieving the knife, coming back he again pulled on the curly hair only this time forcing the brunette towards him and quickly slashed an X across his back. Starsky couldn't hold back a scream as his shoulder blades were nicked the deepest.

"Easy Hutch." Huggy placed a steady hand on the blond's forearm. Hutch's eyes were glittering dangerously, the sound of his lover's scream nearly sending him flying inside. "Whatever's being done could be a lot worse if he sees you coming at him."

"One more..one more yell from Starsky and I'm not waiting any longer." His hushed voice didn't hide the sizzle carrying the words.

"Okay, but if you go in there try and make it quiet." Huggy had a flash of seeing the white knight crashing through walls and not getting to Starsky in time.

"I'm scared as hell for him Huggy, but I'm not an idiot!" Hutch hissed back.

"I think though that the current victim in question brings out far deeper feelings in you than common sense generally allows." Huggy whispered back.

Starsky could feel the blood now dripping over his back, flies and mosquitos had begun to descend and he shook repeatedly trying to keep them off of him. Pressing his back up against the wall, they mercilessly lit on his chest and belly.

Creely stood back and laughed again. "Little taste of what your boy toy had to endure."

"You're a dead man Creely!" Starsky roared.

"That would be your blond in a short time." Creely grinned maliciously driving a steel toed boot into Starsky's legs.

Hutch relaxed slightly on hearing his partner yell once more. "Big mistake. He's got Starsky enraged."

Dobey paced around his office wondering why he hadn't heard from either of his boys or Huggy. Slapping a meaty fist into his other hand he went around the desk and dug up the number for the hotel that Starsky and Huggy had stayed in with Creely.

Looking at his watch, Creely glanced again at the gaping opening in the wall across from them. "Time to start checking if your friend is coming to join us yet." Picking up the brunette's weapon he left without a backward glance.

Starsky watched warily as the hated man made his way towards what could barely be considered a front door. His thigh ached acutely where the boot had struck, and he decided to keep his mouth shut from
further comment. He focussed his attention on his partner instead, wondering and worrying where he was now and if he was aware of the danger he could be stepping into.

Hutch had inched his way to the side of the house, Huggy glued to his rear, both hands on the blond's back. "I'm going to go back into the woods and come up on the opposite side of the road where he thinks
I'll be coming from."

"You watch it bro', this guy is nuttier than peanut butter." Huggy patted the broad back.

"You too Hug." Hutch smiled before darting back towards the woods.

Huggy took the blond's spot and peeked around the corner to keep an eye out on the driveway. He grinned broadly when he heard a thud and a curse as Creely tripped and fell over a warped plank on the front step. Waiting until he caught sight of the man as he sauntered down the driveway, Huggy eased back and quickly though quietly climbed over a window ledge and into the house.

Hutch crouched further down into the bush, smiling grimly as Creely fell down the stairs. "Come on you asshole." He muttered to himself pulling the magnum from his holster.

Dobey hung up the phone after speaking briefly with Smith, telling the man to call the sheriff immediately, and sat with his heart racing and fingers drumming the desk top waiting impatiently and fretfully for news. He couldn't wait to get his hands on the duo, wanting to strangle them both for running off to be heroes, at the same time praying that they would be alright.

Huggy made his way towards the front of the house, his nose scrunching at the pungently damp odor of decay. "Aw man!" He stood still for a minute as his eyes landed on his blood smeared friend.

"Where's Hutch?" Starsky's voice was thick with emotion as he shot his head around at the sound of the Bear.

"He's layin' in wait for Creely at the end of the driveway." Huggy answered using the machete to cut the ropes.

Starsky pulled on his jeans and sneakers and held his hand out for the knife after briefly rubbing his wrists and stomping his feet to get the circulation running again. "You stay here Hug." He stepped over the paint can and rushed towards the door.

Creely reached the end of the drive turning his back away from Hutch just as the blond stood. A police car came barrelling down the road an enormous cloud of dust behind. Creely went down on one knee raising the gun and pointing it towards the driver.

"HUTCH!" Starsky flew down the steps screaming while brandishing the knife as if it was a broadsword, not seeing Hutch he thought it was his blond being aimed at.

Hutch looked up in horrified astonishment as his treasured reason for being came running towards Creely. "Get back!"

Creely fired off a shot at the car then another quick round towards the brunette before spinning around to face the blond. He didn't have a chance as Hutch fired taking off a top portion of his scull, blood, hair and
brain matter splattering over the cruisers hood as it swung to the side stopping a few feet away. The sheriff and a deputy climbed cautiously out guns aimed at the blond and brunette.

Hutch slowly lowered his weapon as Starsky ground to a halt staring at the dead man for a moment before going towards his life. "You okay babe?"

"You're asking me?" Hutch blanched as his eyes took in the condition of his lover. "What the hell did he do to you?!"

"Looks worse than it is Blintz." Starsky smiled brightly as they both continued to ignore the other officers.

"I assume that you're Starsky and Hutchinson?" The sheriff asked replacing his pistol, waving for his deputy to do the same.

Huggy came trotting down the driveway, skidding to a halt he grimaced and held his stomach while looking away from the gore and lifeless body. "Don't that gun of yours ever leave survivors Hutch?"

"Wasn't really thinking about it Hug." Hutch grinned his eyes not leaving his brunette.

"Me either." Starsky added.

"Would you two like to explain exactly what the hell happened here!?" The sheriff put his hands on his hips and alternately looked from one partner to the other, his voice startlingly similar to Dobey's.

(23)

Starsky refused the ambulance when it arrived, only allowing them to tightly encase him from belly to pits in gauze. The attendants instead had to settle for carting away a victim they could in no way help after waiting for the deputy to take photos of the body from every angle. Huggy had gone back to the house and was back with the rest of the brunette's clothing and holster. Shrugging on his shirt Starsky grimaced as the light scabbing broke open over his injuries.

"Well my tough dreamy mummy you're going to a hospital whether you like it or not." Hutch took the jacket and held it up for his partner to slip into.

"Like you don't need ta get back ta one yourself." Starsky refrained from leaning back into his lover's warmth. "Must be feelin' pretty rough yourself."

"Yeah." Hutch nodded wishing he could wrap his arms around his partner.

After assuring the Sheriff that they would fax complete statements from Bay City Hutch took Starsky by the arm and led him up the driveway towards the Torino.

"Look you morons, neither one of you two clowns is fit to drive." Huggy piped up following behind the pair. "We can probably leave the Torino here and I'll send a couple of reliable somebodies back up to get it."

Starsky and Hutch both turned at the same time, each looking like they were near the point of collapse. "I can't leave my car here in hicksville Huggy!"

"He has a point though Starsk. Dobey's going to reem us out and good, we don't need to piss him off any further by leaving his car up here." Hutch could barely see. The pain in his face had largely been forgotten with his terror for his partner, but now it was back with a vengeance and he knew he needed some relief and fast.

"You're really hurting aren't ya babe." Starsky reached up and took a muscled bicep in hand.

"Not as much as you probably are." Hutch nodded.

An old pickup truck had stopped at the end of the driveway, the trio looked on in stunned silence as Dobey got out of the passenger side.

"Here it comes." Starsky stated mildly. His wounds were gnawing viciously away on his torso.

"You boys both look like hell! Speaking of which what kind of bedlam did you get yourselves into now! How many times have I.."

"Uh Captain?" Huggy interrupted. "I think they are both in ghastly need of medical attention at the moment, if you like it would give me great pleasure to fill you in whilst they are receiving it."

"Get me my vehicle Huggy Bear and we'll get them back into town and airlifted back to city. I have a helicopter waiting." Dobey had turned his attention to Huggy although his soft eyes and stern expression remained on his detectives, the jowls jiggling in consternation at the condition of his boys. Huggy instantly scurried off obeying the big man as if he too worked for him.

John Smith had stood uncertainly near his truck, worriedly fiddling with his hands as he looked all around. His skin turning to a colorless hue on spotting the splatters of blood and other bits of organic material on the ground, nearly losing his last meal at the sight of a few black hairs mixed in with the mess.

Both Starsky and Hutch seemed to float to the ground as each of them felt that they wouldn't be able to stand for very much longer and they sunk together.

"Why wasn't there an ambulance on the scene?" Dobey grunted as he got down on his haunches to study the duo.

"There was." Starsky lifted his untucked shirt revealing the wrapping. "Wanted Creely out of our sight before I could think a what else ta do with him."

"Hutch?" Dobey somehow knew it was his light-haired officer that had done the man in.

"It was a clean shoot Captain. He fired at the patrol car, then at Starsky and then whipped around to try for me." Hutch replied finding it increasingly demanding to open his mouth enough to speak as the crushing agony from his nose and cheek increased in intensity by the second.

Huggy made it back in record time and between he and Dobey, lead the pair to the car placing them both in back. "Take the Torino back to the city Huggy, I'll get these two on the chopper and then be on my way also."

"If you don't mind Captain I'd rather see them off before heading out." Huggy leaned over the roof of the sedan. "It was a pretty intense scene if you catch ma meaning."

"Alright. I understand Huggy." Dobey nodded bluntly. "After we get back meet me at the hospital and you can fill me in."

"Will do cap." Huggy saluted and headed towards the Torino, keys jingling in his hand.

Neither man really remembered very much of the flight the discomfort each was feeling blocking out pretty much everything except their engrossment with the other's injuries. They were back at the hospital, Hutch medicated and in his room and Starsky receiving treatment before either one could decipher how much time they had been in the air. Hutch had fallen into a drug induced rest and was completely unaware of when his partner was brought down to occupy the second bed in the room. Feeling no pain himself, Starsky stared across at his blond in a haze as his IV and himself received some final adjustments.His last thought, before fading away himself, being that he hoped his lover would be able to sleep easier now that the menace was out of the way and not so much that he was the one to bring him down, but more importantly that he had witnessed it.

"I know a good deal of what happened from Mr. Smith Huggy, but why the hell did you tell Starsky and Hutch before me?! You must have known that Starsky would tear off like a bull moose in heat and that
Hutch would be hard at his rear!" Dobey was full of righteous indignation as they met just outside the hospital, arriving one on the wheels of the other.

Huggy had to guzzle back a hearty laugh at the Captain's choice of words. He was certain that the man knew how close his favorite team were but that he wasn't aware of exactly how tight that partnership was. He found himself momentarily lost for words.

"And you can wipe that stupid look of your face!" Dobey still managed to bellow with his voice barely heard by others. "I know my men and I've also been married and in love long enough to see it when it happens before my own eyes!"

"You know!?" Huggy rarely spluttered, this being one of the few occasions circumstance through him for a loop.

"Of course I know! They've been ga-ga over each other since the day I met them, just took them a helluva long time to see it themselves." Dobey glanced anxiously towards the elevator wanting to get up to check on his eldest sons himself.

"You know and you don't want to kick them off the force?" Huggy inspected the corridor thoroughly for eavesdroppers.

"Edith spotted it first. I may not understand it Huggy but she taught me all about love. Loving myself, loving others and loving life." Dobey glowered at the much thinner man. "Most of all she taught me that love is love and that most people never really know what that means so it should never be tampered with when it is found. No matter what form it takes. I love my boys and if they love each other with the same power and intensity that I love my wife then so be it."

Huggy regarded the large man for a few moments before finding his voice. "I wish the rest of the world had an Edith and Dobey in their lives." He finally stated.

"If the rest of us had an Edith we wouldn't need police officers or any other form of law enforcement Huggy." Dobey grinned his cheeks puffing out. "Keep this between you and me please."

"Heart n' soul are crossed MR. Dobey." Huggy grinned as he sealed the pact by crossing himself.

"Good. I don't need my men feeling uncomfortable around me and causing them to slip up." The Captain began walking towards the room he knew his officers had been assigned. "They are the best this city has
Hug, unorthodox as hell, but the best."

"I know Cap' just seeing the Torino or the pieces of shit that Hutch drives sends most of the underworld even further into the earth." Huggy smiled as he followed the man he considered his own superior.

It was a many hours later when Starsky opened his eyes, the itching from his healing wounds nearly driving him nuts as he wanted to scratch at them all. The most he could do was shuffle his shoulders slightly to bring limited relief to his back, his shoulders too tender to massage in the same manner. Looking over at his blond he was dismayed and apprehensive as to the reasons his lover had yet to open his beautiful eyes. Just as he began to agonize over the possible reasons he noticed the pale lashes fluttering. "Ya back with me babe?"

"Starsk?" Hutch tried to get more moisture to his dried orbs and blinked rapidly.

"Right here darlin'." Starsky smiled as his partner turned his head to the side to peer at him.

"Stitches?" Hutch struggled to sit up.

"Some, but not as many as I was afraid of." Starsky grinned wider fully expecting his lover's first concern to be him. "How you feelin'?"

"Rough. Better though." Hutch swung his legs over the side and pushed himself up to stand somewhat shakily.

"I don't really think ya should be movin' around too much babe." Starsky frowned sitting up himself.

"Well I don't know about you buddy, but I don't intend to stay in here any longer than necessary." Pulling the tape off his arm Hutch removed the IV needle then looked back at the scolding indigo.

"Come on Hutch ya should wait for a doctor ta decide when that comes out." Starsky had pushed himself up to sit with his legs dangling over the bed.

"I didn't need it before. It's my face that hurts, why the hell do I need intravenous for that?" Hutch tried to smile knowing he was probably over due for more pain killers. "Besides now that Creely's out of the way we can start house shopping."

"Hey! I almost forgot about that!" Starsky rubbed his hands together his eyes filling with excitement, keeping his own IV attached he instead rang for a nurse. "We're outta here today babe come hell or high water."

(Conclusion)

The pair were encouraged to stay one more day for observation. After Mathews pointed out to them that they had both suffered severe blows to the head and they needed to be sure that neither man suffered a concussion, they reluctantly agreed.

"Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all Starsk." Hutch leaned back closing his eyes, his head and face pulsating in perfect harmony. "I'm getting really dizzy and don't feel very good."

"I hear ya." Starsky felt every bit of every cut vibrate in misery, the itching almost as unbearable as the pain. "Hope someone gets here soon and dopes us up."

"Maybe even two." Hutch replied.

"Two days more in here?" Starsky found the idea not as unappealing as he would have not long ago. "How'd ya manage ta drive all that way and still have the strength ta think of a way ta get him?"

"Terror, rage, you." Hutch opened his eyes and turned to look at his main reason for being able to get there when he did. "Not necessarily in that order."

"I guess ya didn't buy the bathroom break..you were there almost right after I was." Starsky winked over at his life force.

"Just wish I could have gotten there even sooner." Hutch tore his gaze away as his eyes welled with tears.

Starsky's too had begun to fill as he thought about what Creely had planned to do to this beautiful man, shuddering at the thought he also knew he would go to his grave without telling his Hutch. He thought
that his lover wasn't the only one that would be making an appointment with the department shrink.

Huggy carted the couple home later the next day. Unsure of which apartment to bring them to, he thought that Starsky's being the closer became the more plausible choice. "We're here brothers."

Neither partner had spoken much on the drive over, both nursing their own private hurts and thinking about the others. "Thanks Hug." Hutch stated puffing out his upper lip as he let go a breath.

"Yeah. Glad ta be back home." Starsky added.

"I haven't yet found the time to restock what is apt to be your fairly limited resources Starsky, but will have that rectified in due order." Huggy opened the Torino's door and held forward the seat offering a hand to give the man in question aid.

Hutch had exited the passenger side just as his partner came out. "It's going to feel strange not having a constant overseer flut..bouncing around me." He smiled as he walked around the car, taking Starsky's arm firmly though lithely in hand.

Starsky let go of Huggy's hand and placed his free arm around his blond. "Don't kid yourself blondie. I might relax a little or lot more, but that don't mean that I won't be watchin' your every move."

"All the better for me to keep my eyes on you." Hutch brought his other arm up to place it around his lover's shoulders adding a tender embrace.

Entering his apartment Starsky sniffed. "You had it cleaned up." He turned to grin at the Bear.

"Wasn't a whole lot to do." Huggy shrugged, wondering what the delicious smell was that was overriding the clear scent of pine.

Hutch softly cupped his lover's jaw before dropping his hand and heading towards the kitchen. "Looks like the Dobeys figured you'd take us here Hug." He waved a note. "Compliments of Edith and Harold." He lifted the lid, his damaged nose finding it hard to resist a deeper sniff as the aroma assaulted him.

"Let me guess..turkey stew an' dumplin's." Starsky grinned first at Huggy and then to the turned back of his life.

Opening the oven Hutch moved his head up and down. "Yep. You get the four door choice babe. Apple cobbler for dessert too."

"I pick the one with you behind it." Starsky smirked making his way to the table. "I don't suppose we can see Audrey Vin in the near future Hug?"

"It ain't Aud, but I did manage ta make certain that a kin of hers would be here." Huggy grinned tapping the curly head he moved into the kitchen and pushed the blond out towards the table.

Hutch immediately spotted the plant on the coffee table and rustled through the silver ware drawer for a pair of scissors and then took a bowl from the dish tray. "Get your shirt off buddy."

"Do you have any idea how much I've bin lookin' forward to this?" Starsky had his jacket off and shirt undone before reaching the living room.

"Just get over here hon." Hutch motioned with one hand while carefully cutting a lower leaf and letting the liquid drip into the bowl.

Starsky watched as his lover took even more care than he and Huggy had with Audrey as the blond carefully slit the plant near the stalk but on the leaf. While watching he began to fumble without looking at
the gauze he was enveloped in, and in record time had it completely off.

"I don't know if I have enough bandage to cover you completely up again Starsk," He briefly looked at the heap of old wrappings. "but that's okay it'll work faster if the air can get at it." Hutch went back to the kitchen and using a dollop of dish soap washed his hands thoroughly before returning. "Lean back hon, I'll do your front first." He dipped four fingers into the mix and began soothingly applying the healing gel. "Feel good?" He asked after a few minutes.

"In more ways than one." Starsky whispered and flushed slightly.

"We have company Gordo." Hutch also turned cherry, tilting his head down to hide his eyes, only to encounter a recently coated nipple glistening in tempting glory.

"Ahem! It doesn't take an Einstein to see that things are turning more an' more private with the passage of time. Let's eat and then I'll find a dozen or so reasons why I can't stay to keep you two company." Huggy was making the table and setting their food out, while looking on in fascination at the tenderness his two friends expressed to each other, not only in touch or words, but with the silky look of love that sparkled from both sets of eyes.

Audrey's kin worked her magic once again and a few days later the pair were exhausted, only this time from house hunting. "I liked that last one we saw." Starsky leaned back on his lover on the couch and propped his legs up over the arm rest.

"That's only because it was the last one we saw. I never imagined what a pain in the ass all this was going to be." Hutch sighed, running his fingers through the springy curls.

"How bout I devise a way ta get your mind off it all?" Starsky tilted his head back loving the feel of his partner's fingers gently massaging his scalp. "There's no rush babe, the longer we take the more likely we'll find the perfect place for us."

"You think I could get a taste of not rushing from you?" Hutch grinned indecently. "You know it's been quite awhile since I got laid."

Starsky laughed loudly. "Wasn't just yesterday for me either. Whatcha got in mind stud?"

Hutch pushed his lover up and slid onto his knees on the floor then began stroking the growing heat at his partners crotch the denim nearly scorching under his hand, as Starsky spread his legs wider, his own jeans swelling to an unmercifully uncomfortable level. With both hands he undid his lover's and his own pants at the same time, both of them groaning with relief. "You sure you're up to this?" Hutch asked before sinking his mouth over the glistening head of the leaking cock before him.

"Oh God babe!" Starsky gnashed his teeth together as his head fell back deeply into the seat cushion. "Not like this Hutch." He then pushed the fair head away and off of him. "Get over the table."

Hutch looked up a little hurt and confused. "What do you mean?"

"Get those damn jeans down and get over the coffee table." Starsky gritted out between clenched teeth his voice thick with desire as he rose and went to the bedroom.

"Oh." Hutch looked behind at the coffee table and quickly stood to strip his jeans down around his ankles before getting back down to lean across the width, gripping the other side tightly with his hands. Feeling exposed and more than a little ridiculous he shivered in anticipation. Biting his lip he almost came when his partner returned, completely naked and slid a hand up under his shirt, caressing his bare rump. "Easy Starsk."

The brunette also sunk to the floor placing the lube on the table he used both hands to part the smooth globes before him, pushing the couch further away with his own butt. Driving his tongue hungrily into and around the puckered center of his lover, he sucked noisily as Hutch moaned and tried to push his ass back searching for more. Starsky continued to lavish attention on the small opening until his mouth and tongue
began to ache. His own erection leaking painfully with need, he then reached for the small tube and quickly coated his cock not bothering to penetrate his blond with his hand. Aiming carefully he slowly pressed himself in biting back a scream as he became completely ensheathed. Hutch cried out his name as he brought his hand under the table to wrap itself around the pulsating cock below, the other gripping a slender hip tightly. "'M not gonna last long babe." He hissed at the same time beginning to thrust slowly at
first in and out. Always fascinated at the sight of his manhood penetrating his blond, he could often cum when alone at the mere thought.

"Oh God! STARSKY!" Hutch bellowed as he ejaculated, his essence shooting across the floor and onto the underside of the table.

Starsky released the spent cock and now had both hips tightly clenched as he began to move piston like in and out of his lover. Sweat dripping down his back he tossed his head back as he suddenly froze screeching his blond's name at the same time filling his lover with his seed. Panting he leaned over and rested his soaked chest on the back of the damp shirt. "That was awe fuckin' some."

"Tell me about it." Hutch had his eyes closed, head to the side he smiled in lethargic happiness. "I really, really needed that."

"How about we go for a nap?*" Starsky slowly pulled himself out, running his hands down the blond's back as he brought himself shakily to his feet. "An' afterwards you can fill me with all ya got."

"Now that sounds like the best plan I've heard in a long time." Hutch grinned pushing himself up, his knees red from being pressed hard on the floor. Wobbling a little he kicked his jeans and underwear off, hanging onto the brunette's shoulder for extra support.

"Knew you might like it." Starsky returned the smile.

Arm in arm they headed towards the bedroom, all thoughts of Creely temporarily the furthest thing from their minds.


End