Title: The Best Of Friends

Author: Sara

Author Email: scarab@cableinet.co.uk

Pairing: Jack/Daniel

Category: Romance

Rating: PG

Series: No

Status: Complete

ArchiveWhere: Area52

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and all titles and names related to it are the sole property of Showtime, Gekko and Double Secret. NO infringement is intended and no money is made in the writing of this story.

Notes: Again this has not been betaed so I apologise for the spelling or grammar mistakes.

Summary: Daniel has a blind date

Warnings: none

 

The Best of Friends
by Sara

Daniel, what do you think of blind dates?" Sam Carter asked Daniel Jackson as they sat in the lab at the SGC, studying the latest artefact found off world.

"Why?," he answered warily.

"Well, I've got this friend who is dying to go out with you."

"You have." He tried to hide the surprise in his voice, "Someone I know?"

"Um….yeah." Sam grinned, "I know you've been watching my friend quite a bit, so I know you're interested."

Daniel's mind raced, he tried to think of who it could be and realised that the only person he lusted after was a brown eyed, greying Air Force Colonel who would knock him into next week if he knew some of the thoughts that Daniel had had about him. 'No', he thought, 'Sam couldn't know about that'. "I watch so many people", he finally said.

"Not like my friend", Sam turned to him, "So what do you say?"

"Who else is going?"

"Safety in numbers, eh?" Daniel blushed, "Okay, I'll come along too. I'll find someone to bring", Sam ginned, "Tonight okay?"

"Yeah, sure, why not."

"I'll tell my friend and make reservations at Gino's." She stood up and walked away.

Daniel looked at his reflection in his rearview mirror. 'I must be nuts to be doing this', he thought. He was parked in the restaurant's car park and had been sitting there for some time. Finally he took the plunge and got out of the car. Inside the maitre'd lead him to a table where someone was already sitting.

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

They said in unison, surprise evident on their faces, Daniel slowly sat down. "Are you here with Sam?", he asked.

"No I'm supposed to be meeting her friend….. you know a……"

"Blind date" Daniel finished, realisation dawning.

"What?" Jack asked noticing the blush that had begun to creep up the younger man's face.

"Jack, can I ask you a really personal question?"

"Yeah", Jack said slowly, not really knowing where this conversation was heading.

"Are you attracted to me?" Daniel waited for the raised voice, the punch or even the stunned expression but all he heard was a softly spoken.

"Yes."

Daniel's heart did somersaults, "You are?" he beamed.

"What about you?" Jack's brown eyes locked onto his blue ones and Daniel realised that he had been so caught up in the relief that the object of his fantasies was interested him that he hadn't told Jack that he was attracted to him too.

"Most definitely", Daniel smiled delighted that at long last he could acknowledge his feeling for Jack and that Jack felt the same way. Just then the waiter returned with a bottle of champagne. He placed it on the table and gave Jack a note.

"From the young lady, sir"

Jack smiled as he read the note and then passed it to Daniel who slowly read 'Well someone had to get you two together and besides, Teal'c and I were getting tired of working with two love-sick guys who wouldn't do anything about it. Enjoy. Love Sam.'

Daniel smiled as the waiter poured the wine. As he left Jack and Daniel raised their glasses.

"I suggest we have a toast" Jack said as their glasses touched "To Sam, the best of friends."

THE END.