Title: "I'll Always Be Here"

Author: Sara

Feedback: Yes please to.... savap@cableinet.co.uk

Archive: Only if you think it's good enough..... but let me know where.

Rating: PG

Catagory: Jack sits and waits.... Character Death

Status: Complete.

Spoilers: None

Summary: A mission doesn't go according to plan...... do they ever!

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and all titles and names related to it are the sole property of Showtime, Gekko and Double Secret. NO infringement is intended and no money is made in the writing of this story.

Notes: Again this has not been betaed so I apologise for the spelling or grammar mistakes.

 

I'LL ALWAYS BE HERE

by Sara

I'm glad that General Hammond is letting Carter explain the events that took place on our last mission. I vaguely hear her voice and look into her face, tears brimming in her eyes and I feel like I've let her down. Even Teal'c's normally stoic expression shows the sadness that we all feel. As for me...I can't bring myself to think too much about what happened on P5X985 or more to the point, what happened to my Daniel.

The mission had been quiet and uneventful until we headed back to the gate and then all Hell broke loose. Jaffa, everywhere. Fortunately we were near enough to the DHD so Daniel dialled whilst the rest of us gave covering fire. Carter sent the signal and we made a run for it. Daniel was hit and I yelled for Carter to go through, she did as Teal'c grabbed Daniel and dragged his still body through. I stumbled and tripped as a staff blast exploded by me and launched my self through the gate. On the other side as I hit the ramp the iris slammed shut and I heard the telltale thuds of bodies hitting our protective shield, as I watched the medics fussing over Daniel. They whisked him away and I Hammond must have seen the shock on all our faces as I vaguely heard him tell us to report to the infirmary and that he would debrief there. Doc. Fraiser had explained to us that the surgery had gone well and that Daniel had been lucky that the staff blast had just been a glancing blow to his left side. Barring complications he should be fine, but I hate to tempt fate. Once he was awake he would need plenty of rest and wouldn't be able to go on any missions for awhile, but he would be fine. The rest of my team have been ordered to get some rest, but both Hammond and the Doc know that I won't leave his side, not until he's awake and I can see in his eyes that he forgives me. He lays there still and pale, like a child as the machines beep around him and even though I know that he is going to be okay, I can't help feeling guilty that I couldn't stop this from happening.

The hours pass and I resolutely stay at my post, the nurses seem to know that I just need to stay here and with the exception of coming over to check Daniel's vitals, they stay away from me. I do notice the sympathetic looks that they give in his direction though and I suddenly realise just how popular my Daniel is. Finally he begins to stir.

"Ja..a..ck..."

"Ssssh...it's okay, I'm here," I smile although I can feel tears in my eyes. Hell I nearly lost him, "I told you I'll always be here for you Danny." His eyes begin to focus and he looks at me strangely.

"Why are you covered in blood?" he asks sleepily and I look down at my BDU's which are covered in blood and remember that I hadn't even got changed after the mission.

I'll clean up in a minute." I stand and lean over him, stroking his hair, "Now sleep, Spacemonkey." I place a gentle kiss on his forehead as he closes his eyes.

"K' Jack," he mumbles and I know that he is going to be fine.

When Daniel Jackson woke up a few hours later he looked up into the smiling face of Doctor Fraiser.

"Hi, how are you feeling?" she asks

"Fine... well almost fine", he winces as he tries to sit up, "Where's Jack?" he asks looking at the now vacant chair by his side and at Sam Carter and Teal'c who stand by his bedside.

Daniel notices the look that Janet gives Sam as she looks down briefly. When she looks back up at the young man, tears are in her eyes; she reaches for his hand "Um... Daniel" she swallows the lump in her throat, " The Colonel didn't make it back. He was killed just after you were hit. We recovered his body a couple of hours ago."

THE END..... well what did you all think?