To Love a Thief

by Nancy

the_tenth_muse@mailcity.com

Fandom: Stargate

Pairing: Sam/Amanda

Rating: NC-17

Note: ok. someone out there wanted to see a Sam/Amanda fic and I thought that would be really cool. this fic actually turned out completely different that my original idea which is still to be written (where Sam catches Amanda in the act of stealing) but I think it's pretty decent.

Disclaimer: Characters owned by MGM/Double Secret Enterprises. I do not own them and am making no money from them, more's the pity. There's rampant and pretty graphic sex between two women in this story so if that offends or if you're underage, then don't read it. I also took assumptions with Immortal physiology (complete guesswork, btw) so there's what would normally be unsafe sex in here as well. I also took liberties with the relationship between Amanda and Methos, just a little tho.

all feedback and comments happily received. :o)



To Love a Thief
By Nancy


"Just one year of love is better than a lifetime alone,
one sentimental moment in your arms,
is like a shooting star right through my heart.
It's always a rainy day without you
I'm a prisoner of love inside you.
I'm falling apart, all around you,
and all I can do is surrender."
— Queen



It was a pleasant fall day. The kind of day that made it incredible to live in Colorado. The leaves had turned scarlet, and gold, and flaming orange, and the air was cool but had no real bite to it as
yet. The late afternoon sun shone brightly but had definitely lost its summer power. Samantha Carter, Major, USAF, assigned to a top secret military project called Stargate, strolled through the
streets of the small town that was located near her base of operations.

Wide blue eyes took in every detail as she window-shopped along the picturesque main street. The weakening sun glinted off her golden hair, seeming to reflect with twice its original power. Though casually dressed, Sam still walked like a soldier: shoulders straight, head up with economical yet efficient strides that ate up the distance quickly, even at a pace she considered leisurely.

"Sam! Sam, wait up!"

Sam stopped at Daniel's voice and grinned as her friend ran towards her. He'd obviously come out of the local equivalent to Starbucks and was holding a large coffee cup in one hand and a bag in the other. The bag, no doubt, contained something chocolate and decadent. One of the most irritating thing about all her best friends was how they could eat whatever the hell they wanted and never gained any weight while she spent an hour and a half in the gym every morning from 4:30 to 6:00.

"I thought that was you but I was stuck in line and had just gotten to the front," Daniel explained, coming to a stop with a pleased expression.

When he held out his hand, Sam noticed that there were two bags and her grin broadened. Daniel was one of the most instinctively generous people she knew. Taking the proffered bag, she opened it to find a bagel and shook her head. Trust Daniel to know exactly what she'd want without even being asked. "Thanks Daniel! Enjoying the day off?"

He nodded emphatically, blue eyes sparkling with mischief. "I dragged Teal'c and Jack to a matinee earlier. I don't think either of them appreciated the film though."

Snorting, Sam asked, "Were subtitles involved?"

"Possibly."

"One of these days, they're going to know better," Sam said, shaking her head in amusement. "Where are they now?"

"Probably off smashing something to make sure they're still masculine," Daniel answered with a grin.

Surprised, Sam asked, "Teal'c too?"

"Well, Jack at least," Daniel amended.

That sounded about right for the Colonel, Sam thought. "So what are you doing now?"

"I was just going to head back and finish off a report. Do you need a lift?"

Sam shook her head. "I think I'm just going to do some more window shopping then get some food. Thanks, though."

A faint frown marred Daniel's open features briefly. "Are you all right?"

"Fine. Just enjoying some down-time is all," Sam assured him, touching his shoulder.

He looked at her intently for a moment then nodded. "All right. See you later tonight? We're still on for poker, right?"

Laughing out loud, Sam nodded. "Just make sure everyone knows it's not strip poker."

Making a humorous face, Daniel said, "Spoilsport."

She waved as he walked towards his old Volvo parked nearby then turned to continue her jaunt down the street. There weren't many people around and most of the shops had little in the way of
customers. This was when she got all her best shopping done. When there was no competition to make her lose sight of the fact that she wasn't in competition.

Her thoughts turned inward as she watched a mother and daughter strolling down the street arm in arm. This was definitely not how she'd thought her life would turn out. Well, when she'd thought
about it at all. There hadn't been any definitely plans like getting married by age 30 and having 2.5 kinds by the time she was 35. Nothing like that. But still, she hadn't anticipated not having anyone significant in her life by now. With the way her life was, the only significant people in her life were her teammates: Jack, Daniel and Teal'c.

While she loved them all dearly, Jack and Daniel were far to involved in each other to be any sort of romantic potential, even if she'd wanted them to be. Which, after that fiasco with Jack, she
didn't. Teal'c…well....it would be very easy to fall in love with Teal'c. He was strong and supportive and didn't care what anyone thought about getting involved with a teammate. There was only that little flaw of him not being human and she was pretty sure she'd like to have kids one day.

So that left her rather nowhere since she had no time outside of her work at Stargate Command to meet people and there were no viable options within SGC.

Shaking her head free of the morose thoughts, Sam looked into the jeweler's window and stopped, admiring the display. There was a beautiful old pendant set on a gold chain shown on a black velvet background. It was a mother of pearl cameo, something she'd always wanted but never managed to buy for herself. It was frivolous and she gazed at it wistfully.

"Beautiful piece, isn't it?"

The woman's voice startled her and Sam's head jerked towards it. No one had been able to sneak up on her since becoming part of SG1. She'd instinctively begun to imitate Jack and Teal'c's way of moving and listening to her environment almost from the beginning. After five years together, she considered herself very aware of her surroundings; almost fanatically so.

The woman was slender and delicate looking, as though she were an acrobat or dancer. Her face was thin but not angular, very pretty, and she had beautiful dark eyes. The white-blond hair was definitely artificial but looked good on her, giving the woman a mischievous, almost elfish appearance. Her clothes were well cut and very expensive, black slacks and a navy blue blouse under a supple-looking black leather jacket. Finding her voice, Sam agreed, "It's lovely."

"Late seventeenth century if I'm not mistaken. Probably made by Duvais or Schendler," the woman informed her with a friendly smile.

"You're a jewelry dealer?" Sam asked. Somehow, that was not the first thing that came to mind when she looked at this woman. The first thing that came to mind was…dancer.

There was a hinted-at smile as the woman replied, "Antiquities is probably closer to the mark. Amanda Lee, at your service."

Sam took the smaller hand in hers, finding it both firmer and rougher than she'd expected, well callused, and introduced herself as, "Samantha Carter." For some reason, she felt reluctant to
disclose her rank.

"Are you here on vacation Samantha?"

Shaking her head, Sam answered, "I work nearby, actually. I had the day off and was just window shopping."

Almost coquettishly, Amanda said, "I find real shopping so much more fulfilling, don't you?"

Normally, Sam didn't but she found herself agreeing with the enthusiasm, if not the words. There was something infectious about the ready humor in the woman's dark eyes that Sam hadn't been around in too long. So much had happened recently that it was a wonder the whole team hadn't been locked up in the loony bin. "I haven't been shopping in quite a while, actually."

With mock outrage, Amanda gasped and said, "That's blasphemy! Come, we must remedy that right away!"

To her great surprise, Sam found herself not only falling into step with the unusual woman, but letting her arm be taken in an overly familiar fashion. As they walked along the quiet streets, she
listened to the outrageous stories her new companion spun and laughed more than she had in a very long time.

* * * *

Amanda noticed the woman walking slowly down the street right away. She was the prettiest thing about the nondescript town, that was for sure. Short blond hair, obviously natural darn it; enormous blue eyes like deep sapphires; and a tall, fit body that Nick would instantly find attractive. Shaking that thought directly out of her mind, Amanda continued to watch the woman wander down the street. Her jeans clung in all the right places and the bulky sweater didn't do much to disguise her figure.

There was something very sad about the withdrawn expression on the woman's face. It seemed to Amanda that this woman should never know sorrow but it was obvious that that was all she'd known for a while. She'd seen that expression on too many warriors not to recognize it; MacLeod had it, Nick had it, Methos had it, even she wore it on occasion and she was no warrior. It spoke of having seen too many people suffer and die while being unable to do a damned thing about it. It spoke of betrayal and hardship that no one should experience but all too many did.

Especially the good souls, of which Amanda instantly recognized this woman as being.

She saw a young man rush headlong down the sidewalk to catch up as he shouted, "Sam!"

Watching their brief interaction, Amanda discovered that the woman could smile and that it lit up her face like nobody's business. She also found that the woman's laughter was warm and sincere and sent a shiver through her just listening to it directed at someone else. It was probably a mistake, since she was here on business, but she had to meet this woman. There was nothing that could come of it, but Amanda had to know this woman if only for an afternoon.

A few minutes later, the woman continued on her way and stopped in front of a jewelry store. As luck would have it, a jewelry store that she'd cased earlier in the day just for fun. Curious as to what would catch the woman's eye, she walked quietly to the store window and stood beside the woman silently, waiting to be noticed. But the woman only saw the pendant that her eyes seemed locked upon.

Close up, the woman was even lovelier than she was at a distance. Putting her thoughts to words as closely as she dared, Amanda commented, "Beautiful piece, isn't it?"

Obviously startled, those blue eyes flew to her face, holding Amanda in place with their cerulean depths. She tried to think of where she might have seen that particular shade of blue before but couldn't manage it. After a few seconds, the woman agreed, "It's lovely."

Keeping hold of those warm eyes, Amanda commented offhandedly, "Late seventeenth century if I'm not mistaken. Probably made by Duvais or Schendler."

"You're a jewelry dealer?

Amanda almost smiled at the faint tone of disbelief. Holding out her hand, she gave a standard evasion. "Antiquities is probably closer to the mark. Amanda Lee, at your service."

She found her hand engulfed in a firm but not hard handshake. The woman's hands were smooth, those of a scholar, despite her appearance.

"Samantha Carter."

Already guessing the answer Amanda asked, "Are you here on vacation Samantha?"

"I work nearby, actually. I had the day off and was just window shopping."

Smiling honestly at finding something in common, and hoping to tease Samantha into a lighter mood, Amanda said, "I find real shopping so much more fulfilling, don't you?"

"I haven't been shopping in quite a while, actually."

Playing it up, Amanda gasped and exclaimed, "That's blasphemy! Come, we must remedy that right away!"

Enjoying the soft laughter this evoked from the taller woman, Amanda tucked her hand under Samantha's arm and easily led her further down the street. It was surprisingly easy to draw Samantha out of her shell. As Amanda recounted some funny anecdotes of the antiquities
and jewelry world, she suspected that Samantha had been alone for a long time. The sun was setting before they reached the last store on the streets and Amanda found herself reluctant to take her leave. Impulsively, she asked, "Would you care to have dinner with me?"

Shyly, Samantha nodded. "That would be nice, thank you. There's a nice family restaurant I go to a couple of streets over."

Not exactly what Amanda had in mind and she wondered when the last time someone had taken this woman out and treated her to something nice. Smiling, Amanda countered, "How about Alexander's instead? I hear it's a wonderful place to eat around here."

Shaking her head, Samantha said dryly, "I can't afford Alexander's. Actually, I doubt even my CO could afford Alexander's."

Tucking her arm around Samantha's waist, she gently led the way towards the bistro. "I simply must dine there, I've heard their Tiramisu is to die for. And don't you worry about the cost, consider it a gift in return for your divine company this afternoon."

Samantha stiffened slightly at the presumptuousness of Amanda's arm around her waist for only a moment then seemed to relax into the half-embrace. "If that's what tour guides are making these days then I'm definitely in the wrong business."

Grinning in triumph at the humor in Samantha's voice, Amanda commented, "We both are, my dear."

"Not if you can afford Alexander's on a whim."

Amanda didn't miss the subtle question as to what exactly she did for a living. Apparently her little anecdotes hadn't fooled Samantha a bit; something that pleased her to no end. She gathered that the officer was smart, probably really smart given that she was both a woman and a scholar of some sort and yet in the military. Amanda didn't think she even noticed the slipped comment about her CO. Shrugging, she said, "I've been in the business for a very long time."

A golden eyebrow arched in polite disbelief. "I see. And you're what, thirty, thirty-three years old tops?"

Winking, Amanda replied, "I started young."

----------------------------

Sam made a noncommittal noise to Amanda's comment as they arrived at Alexander's and went inside the expensive restaurant. Glancing at the poshly dressed clientele, she knew there was no way they'd let her inside dressed in jeans and a sweater. It had been a wonderful couple of hours but it was definitely time to part company and this was as good a place as any to do it. Amanda was one of those people who fit in anywhere, wielding her wealth with the same casual ease that Daniel did his mind, Jack did his authority and Teal'c did his strength.

It suddenly occurred to her that she was the only one who didn't fit in that upper echelon category and that left a sad emptiness in the pit of her stomach. Forcing a light tone to her voice, she said, "I don't think they're going to let me in, dressed like this but thank you so much for the lovely gesture. I really should get going anyhow, Amanda."

Dark eyes looked over at her, startled by the comment and then looked her over, tip to toe. The intensity of that gaze sent a flush through Sam.

"You look just fine to me, Samantha."

The words were murmured in a low, sensual voice that generated an erotic shiver through her. Swallowing heavily at the heat in Amanda's eyes, Sam valiantly tried to ignore her body by commenting lightly, "That's all well and good but unless you know the wait staff, I doubt that'll help."

A wicked gleam entered Amanda's eyes as she said, "We'll just see about that. Wait here."

Sam watched her go to the maitre d' wondering if she'd have to make a run for it after all. One thing that spending a couple of hours in Amanda's company had revealed to her was that the woman was definitely a con artist of some kind. She hadn't been in the military for fifteen years and attached to SG1 for five not to recognize the kind of person Amanda was. For all her innocent demeanor, Sam was a pretty good judge of people. Still, the other woman not only seemed harmless enough; unless you were the owner of a pretty bauble to which she took a fancy.

Besides which, Sam hadn't been this flattered in a very long time. Amanda was a beautiful woman and could probably have her choice of either gender but had, for some reason, decided on Samantha. It felt good to bask in the attention the woman was showering upon her, even if it was fleeting.

`What if it isn't?' The treacherously romantic part of her mind whispered. `What if she wants you in her bed at the end of the night? What will you do then?'

Swallowing nervously, Sam decided to bury that voice under as many command reports that Jack shoveled off on her as possible. There was plenty of time to figure out where, if anywhere, this might go.

* * * *

Amanda glanced back to find Samantha weighing some kind of internal dialogue. From the intensity on the woman's face, she hoped it wasn't going to end in Samantha rushing away and out of her life. Returning her attention to the stuffy looking older man who was glancing at Samantha with obvious superiority, Amanda said sharply, "Dino."

Startled, the man's eyes jerked to her and he corrected stiffly, "Mark."

"Mark it is. Listen very carefully. I have a credit card that has no limit. I want to spend it on that young woman that you're looking down your nose at. If you play your cards right and treat her with great care, you'll find yourself handsomely rewarded. If you don't, I and my unlimited credit card go elsewhere. Are we clear?" Amanda stared at the man seriously. When his expression changed from disdainful to respectful, she nodded. "That's a good start. Now then. We will have your best table somewhere quiet and romantic away from prying eyes."

"Of course," Mark agreed instantly. "If you will bring the young lady forward, I will bring you to your table."

Smiling brightly, Amanda patted him on the shoulder. "That's very good, Mark. I'll be right back."

Stepping over to Samantha, she asked, "Ready my love?"

Plainly skeptical, Samantha answered, "They're letting me in?"

"You're the most beautiful woman here, why wouldn't they?" Amanda flattered shamelessly, delighted with the blush that heated through the other woman's face.

"Amanda..."

"Humor me," Amanda suggested holding out her arm.

Samantha stared at her for a long moment then seemed to come to some kind of decision and took her arm with a smile.

* * * *

Oh what the hell, Sam thought, throwing in the mental towel as she took Amanda's arm. She deserved to be pampered a little and getting away from the guys for a night would probably do her a world of good. Being the envy of pretty much all the men in the restaurant wasn't hurting her ego any either, she thought wryly. It had been years since she'd had a pretty woman on her arm even though she suspected it was really the other way around.

They were led to the back to a secluded table where soft, romantic music was piped in from an invisible source. The maitre d' was incredibly accommodating, holding out her chair for her as though she was the richest, most well dressed woman in the place. Looking at Amanda suspiciously, she waited until the man placed their menus before them and left then accused, "You bribed him!"

Eyes glinting mischievously, Amanda corrected, "I gave him some incentive."

For some reason, this tickled Sam's funny bone and she started laughing. It was terribly wrong to be laughing at someone taking a bribe but there was no other way to react to Amanda's actions. There was just something about the other woman that lent itself to the absurd...no, that wasn't right. It was more like anything could happen in the other woman's presence. Sam wondered how Amanda would react to finding out just what she did for the military. Wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes, Sam admonished, "I hope you know that I could get in trouble for this sort of thing."

"What? That ridiculous `Don't ask, Don't tell' rule?" Amanda asked.

Grinning, Sam said, "No. Corrupting innocent maitre d's."

Amanda chuckled at that and reassured her, "Not to worry, he was corrupted long before I arrived."

Still smiling, Sam said, "Well that's good to know."

The maitre d' in question returned just then and said, "If madames would care to hear the specials?"

"Mademoiselle would love to hear the specials, wouldn't you Samantha?" Amanda said.

Sitting up properly, Sam nodded. "But of course."

* * * *

This was a pretty disaster to get herself into, Amanda thought in half-hearted dismay. Watching as Samantha talked to Mark, she was relieved to not be the only one under the blond woman's charming sway. The stuffy maitre d' was practically eating out of Samantha's hand by the time he was finished taking their orders. All traces of his former haughtiness were vanished as though they'd never existed.

`At least it's not just me being an idiot.' Amanda thought with faint relief. Granted, it had been a while since she'd been in such refreshing company but still, she didn't generally go around making conquests on a whim. Actually, except for Nick, there hadn't been anyone of any significance in a good long time.

The significant part was the part she was having trouble with. It would be so easy to become smitten with this woman. Her bright, amiable charm was as unconscious as her beauty. It was just who Samantha was. This would be a fine line to tread and she wasn't sure where it might lead. It would weigh heavily upon her if she brought any more sorrow into this woman's life when all she wanted to do was make it happier.

Samantha leaned forward once Mark was gone and rested her chin in her hand. In a sultry voice, the officer asked, "So, Amanda, what do you really do for a living?"

Picking up her water glass to gain a little more time, Amanda looked into the ice filled glass thoughtfully, watching the condensation start to bead on the smooth surface. Glancing up at Samantha through her lashes, Amanda asked, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I'm sure you've figured out I'm in the military by now. I do have a certain level of security to maintain and shouldn't be fraternizing with anyone who might breach that clearance."

Her throat was growing dryer by the second as Samantha's voice warmed considerably closer to the `innuendo' stage. Who knew that military jargon could be so sexy? Shaking the distracting thoughts from her head, Amanda decided to be honest for a change. She knew Samantha wouldn't believe her so what would be the harm? "I'm an immortal thief fighting in a battle against other, evil immortals who can only be killed by getting my head cut off. I was actually born in 789."

Without missing a beat, Samantha's lips twitched in amusement as she replied, "So when you said you'd been in the business a long time, you meant it."

Grinning openly, Amanda nodded. "A long time."

"Well, you look remarkably well preserved. A benefit from the immortality thing?" Samantha asked.

There was something odd in the other woman's voice despite the casualness of the question. Warning bells started going off all over the place and Amanda had to force herself to remain calm. "Oh absolutely." The click of a gun safety being removed was clearly audible over the gentle music and Amanda froze. She didn't see the gun but Samantha must have had it in her waist band and now held it under the table. Carefully, Amanda said, "Samantha?"

All trace of humor and ease gone, Samantha demanded coldly, "Who're you working for? The gou'ld? Are you a Jaffa spy?"

Mind racing with potential lies, Amanda stared at the officer who no longer resembled a sad, easy-going woman. The martial aspect of her dominated the small space and Amanda grew claustrophobic from it. She wasn't afraid of being killed. She was afraid of being captured
by the military and studied like a lab rat. No one would be looking for her. No one cared enough to know where she was, let alone when she disappeared. Slowly and clearly, Amanda said, "I don't work for anyone Samantha. I'm a thief. I work only for myself."

Samantha shook her head, a steely glint in her eyes. "You weren't joking about the immortality. You just didn't think that I'd believe you."

Realizing that nothing but the truth would get her out of this, Amanda nodded. "That's true. I am immortal but it has nothing to do with you or the military."

"Right. And you just happened to be here when I had a day off and decided that I was too irresistible and just had to get to know me," Samantha scoffed. "I may look like it, but I wasn't born yesterday, Amanda. If that's your name."

Taking a deep breath, Amanda told the truth in the shortest version possible. "Amanda Darieux is my real name. I was born in 789 in France and became immortal in 822 when I was clubbed to death for stealing bread in a plague house. Ironically, I was killed for leaving the house, not for stealing the food. I've lived as an acrobat, a thief, an aristocrat. I've been through revolutions and wars and suffered through famine and eaten off golden plates. I don't know how many of us there are but we are all fighting towards the same thing. The Prize. Eventually it will come down to only one immortal and whoever controls the Prize, controls the fate of the world. No one knows exactly what the Prize is but it's a powerful gift that can be used for good or evil depending on the immortal who wields it."

Staring at Amanda closely, Samantha didn't even blink. "Prove it."

An eyebrow raised. "Excuse me?"

"First I want you to stand up and show me your stomach. Then I want you to turn around and bare your back. Then I want you to kill yourself," Samantha ordered.

Pursing her lips, Amanda murmured, "Shouldn't we get to know each other better before I start stripping?"

Samantha obviously didn't find that amusing because the sound of a hammer being cocked echoed startlingly loud through the air. Licking her lips, Amanda stood and slowly raised her shirt, baring her skin for the other woman's inspection. Even though the fear of capture was very strong, there was something exciting about the other woman's command. Amanda knew this was no bluff. Samantha would do whatever was necessary to deal with the threat she thought she was facing. Turning around, Amanda raised her shirt from that position equally as slowly, exposing the flesh there to view.

After a long moment, she turned back to find Samantha's eyes darkened with more than simple suspicion. Instantly, her own lust flared to life as their eyes met. "Still want me to die?"

Samantha nodded.

Picking up the steak knife on the table, Amanda drew the moment out, running the blade over her skin and drawing goosebumps out as she did so. This was going to hurt like a bastard but she knew it was the only way that Samantha would trust her. It was the only way that she'd get out of the military snare she'd unwittingly put herself in. Sitting back down, Amanda warned, "I'll be dead for a few minutes so unless you want the hue and cry raised, I'd keep an eye out for Mark and stray wait staff."

Though there was still heat in the eyes that followed the path of the knife as it traced imaginary patterns over her breast, Amanda saw no lessening of command. Bracing herself, she took the handle in both hands and shoved it into herself as hard as possible. Hot pain seared through her chest as skin, muscle and bone gave way to the sharp knife. Gasping as blood welled from the wound, Amanda struggled to breathe and found that she couldn't.

The familiar darkness of death claimed her.

* * * *

Sam watching with horror as thick red blood, the dark kind that came from the deepest of wounds, soaked into Amanda's shirt. The knife stuck out like an obscene pointer leading the way to the other woman's heart. She'd seen enough mortal wounds to know it by sight but to make sure, Sam reached across the table and pressed her fingers to Amanda's throat.

Nothing. No heart beat. No movement of any kind.

"Oh my God. What have I done?" Sam whispered in shock. She hadn't really believed that Amanda would do it. Once she had seen that there were no Gou'ld markings, she'd relaxed just a fraction and allowed herself to enjoy all that bare skin. Then Amanda had turned and met her eyes, still very serious. She was the embodiment of certainty and that gave Sam pause.

What if it were all true? What if Amanda really was immortal? What did that mean for the rest of the world? Were they fighting a battle on two hidden fronts? Was there something else going on that no one save the immortals involved knew about? All those questions ran through her mind even as her libido sped up watching Amanda's knife-play.

Then the knife had plunged in and Amanda had given this odd little gasp and fallen back against the booth. Brushing her fingers over the still face, Samantha whispered, "I'm so sorry, Amanda. I didn't really think you'd do it."

Her finger jerked in shock on the trigger and a bullet hit the floor when Amanda whispered, "Told you so."

"Fuck!" Samantha swore, starting to shake as Amanda's eyes reopened. She fell limply back into her seat and clicked on her gun's safety before returning it to her holster. "You were dead. I checked."

Grunting in pain as she pulled out the knife, Amanda dropped the bloody weapon on the table then zipped up her jacket. Wryly, she said, "That's what immortal means, my love. I can't tell you the number of times I've died over the last seven hundred years. And it's a bitch every time it happens. So. Care to tell me who these Gou'ld people are?"

Talk about a full disclosure nightmare, Sam thought vaguely. "Wait. Stop. I uh, I need to process this for a second."

Amused, Amanda leaned back in the chair just as Mark showed up with their drinks. The whole thing had taken less than five minutes. "Ah Mark. Just what we need. Be a darling and bring us something a little stronger, would you? I think Mademoiselle and I both need the elixir of life known to the civilized world as Scotch. Doubles for both. As a matter of fact, bring out your best bottle. And I'll let you know when we require your services after that."

Understanding the implicit order not to return until called, Mark nodded without comment and left them again.

Sam was still staring at Amanda, not sure that the whole thing hadn't been a prank. It would be just like Jack to try and freak her out like this. He found the strangest things funny. But no, there
was no way that Daniel would let him do something like this to her. Besides which, he'd much prefer to play the gag on her in person, driving the knife into his own chest for added shock value.

"It wasn't a trick. I really was dead," Amanda assured her blithely, sipping at her glass of wine.

Finally finding her tongue, Sam demanded, "How?"

Shrugging, Amanda answered, "Haven't a clue. It just is."

"How many of you are there? That you know of?"

Eyes narrowing, Amanda said, "I'm afraid I won't be telling you that, my love. The next thing I know, you and your military buddies will be hunting us down."

Sam took a long drink from her wine glass, feeling the dark burgundy burn its way down her throat to her empty stomach with rapidity. It filled that cold pit that had imploded when the knife had plunged into Amanda's chest. When Mark returned with the scotch, she gulped that down as well. Finally starting to feel almost normal, Sam held out the short glass towards Amanda for a refill.

Not breaking the stare, Amanda poured out the darkly golden liquid, stopping less than half way up with a murmured, "We wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of trying to get you drunk to take advantage of you now, would we?"

Meeting Amanda's dark gaze, Sam felt that suspicious heat run through her once more. It was as though the other woman could see into the very depths of her soul. Maybe she could. Was that one of the powers of being an immortal? Holding the short, cool glass in her hand, Sam brought it up to her cheek and pressed it to her face.

"So. Are you going to tell me what all that was about?" Amanda asked at last.

Why shouldn't she? It wasn't like Amanda could run and tell anyone, she thought wryly. All kinds of repercussion scenarios went through her mind but none of them entailed the immortal running to a tabloid paper to reveal the Stargate. Most of them involved the two of them getting naked and deliciously sweaty as they comforted each other over the inevitable loneliness of their respective secrets.

"I'm a scientist, worked in astrophysics," Sam said, breaking the stare-down to look at the golden liquid in her glass. "I'm also a major in the US Air Force assigned to a top secret project called Stargate Command. After they pulled the plug on it the first time, I continued the research in private, on my own. I guess you could safely say I was obsessed with it. Then it was reopened and I was pulled back into the project. For the last five years, I've been a part of SG1, the lead team of SGC. There's a threat to our world that comes from aliens known as the Gou'ld. We go to different worlds to determine if they have any technological advances we can
use in the fight against the snakeheads.

"That's what we call them. Jack, my CO, coined the phrase because although they appear human, they have these parasitic symbiotes inside. The symbiotes lengthen the host's life, almost like immortality. A great many of our own myths and legends about our Gods actually revolve around the Gou'ld. They took people, slaves, from Earth hundreds and thousands of years ago and scattered them among the stars. My teammates, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c, and I have visited hundreds of worlds over the last five years."

"Daniel is that young man you were talking to earlier on the street," Amanda interrupted suddenly.

Startled, Sam nodded. "How'd you guess?"

Smiling faintly, Amanda replied, "He's too young to be your CO and Teal'c sounds like a rather exotic name, didn't really suit."

"Teal'c is a Jaffa. He was the First Prime Jaffa for Apophis, one of the major Gou'ld rulers. He helped us escape on our first mission and kind of got adopted by the unit," Sam explained, trying to find the simplest and quickest terms.

"Not human though," Amanda commented.

"No, not human. But perhaps the most humane being I've met in my life," Sam said sipping at the Scotch. "Daniel is a genius. He speaks a million languages, most of them dead, and has saved our collective asses probably a thousand times because he's always looking for the best, most right way, of dealing with every situation. He can run rings around me in the brains department."

Amanda reached across the table and ran her fingers over the back of Sam's hand in a soothing gesture. "You're used to being the smartest person at the table, aren't you my love?"

Ruefully, Sam nodded. "But with Daniel, sometimes I feel like I'm just barely keeping up. And he's had such a hard life. It's what made him so caring and honorable, I know, but he hurts so easily. I almost wish I could wrap him up in lambswool and keep him safe from the monsters. Not that Jack doesn't do that well enough on his own, but he can be a little...rough around the edges, even with Daniel."

"Your CO," Amanda observed.

"My CO. I'm his 2IC and one of his best friends and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. This is a man who's done black ops, who's been covert probably since I got my first training bra, and he's seen so much evil in his life that it's a wonder he's not stark raving mad," Sam described bitterly, taking another, longer drink from the Scotch. "The worst part of it is that most of the evil he's seen has been right here on our own little corner of the galaxy."

Amanda's hand grasped hers loosely, her thumb running over the bridge between Sam's thumb and index finger. "They're your family."

Sam looked into Amanda's eyes to find complete understanding there. It was such a relief to be able to talk about all this to someone outside, someone who understood, that tears welled, even though they didn't fall. Swallowing against the hotness at the back of her throat, Sam nodded and whispered, "I love them all. They're all I have in this world."

A bit shakily, Amanda whispered, "I understand. I have my own chosen family as well. Most of them aren't on speaking terms with me right now but I love them so badly it hurts."

"Yes, that's it exactly," Sam agreed. She turned her hand around to clasp Amanda's, relishing in the faint comfort the touch sparked in the other woman's eyes. "Tell me."

Taking a deep breath, Amanda first brought Samantha's hand to her lips and kissed the palm, then leaned her cheek against it. "Duncan MacLeod. I've known him for hundreds of years and he is the best and most honorable man I've ever met. He's good and strong and always ready to give his help even when he knows I'm running a scam or in trouble. Especially if I'm in trouble.

"Methos is like a brother. An exasperated older brother who knows he can rely on me but makes sure that I don't get tempted to leave him in the lurch in the first place. He can be annoyingly noble but that comes from being a priest for several hundred years." Amanda grinned wryly and continued, "And then there's Nick."

Sam squeezed the smaller hand and waited.

"I killed him you know," Amanda said finally. She mused over the erotic images of her and Nick that splayed through her mind as vivid as when the memories were created. Not that it had been that long. "I knew he was immortal, all that time we were together and he didn't have a clue that I stayed with him in part because I knew he would need someone to teach him. Instead I found him teaching me far more than I ever could him. We were lovers but when I shot him to save his life from the poison, he left me. He hasn't forgiven me for making him immortal even though he always had been one."

"How long ago was that?"

"About six months ago," Amanda replied.

"That's not long. Especially for an immortal," Samantha pointed out gently. "You love him still, don't you?"

Shrugging, Amanda said, "That won't change the fact that he despises me. It goes a bit deeper than me killing him."

"We have time," Samantha offered.

"Not that much," Amanda countered dryly. How had this changed from getting Samantha to talk about what was bothering her to Amanda's own personal baggage? It was hard enough to live with herself, she didn't want to inflict it onto this generous woman. "Besides which, we aren't here to talk about me. This is your night. And you were right you know."

Frowning, Samantha asked, "About what?"

Amanda leaned forward and brought Samantha's hand to her lips once more before murmuring, "You really are irresistible and I simply could not leave here without getting to know you, even if only for a night."

The most delightful flush worked its way quickly over Samantha's face, emphasizing her wide eyes and lips as she looked away, flustered. "Stop teasing."

Completely serious, Amanda reached over with her finger and brushed it against Samantha's cheek with gentle pressure to bring the other woman's face towards hers. "I never tease a beautiful woman, especially not about something like that."

Hesitantly, Samantha voiced, "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course." The blue of Samantha's eyes had darkened and sent a thrill through Amanda as they searched her for something.

"Do you want me?"

Well. That was direct. Though of course she should have expected nothing less. Amanda nodded seriously, suspecting that only equally direct answers would satisfy the officer.

"Why?"

How to put something like this into words? Amanda knew she had to tread carefully. The fragility in the other woman's eyes was almost haunted, as though she was expecting a harsh rejection, despite Amanda's words otherwise. "You're one of the loveliest women I've ever seen, Samantha. When I first saw you, I wanted to make you smile. I thought, and still think, that you don't smile nearly enough. Now that I know a little of what your life's like, I understand better why you don't but that doesn't make me want to stop trying. You're a warrior, like Duncan and Nick. For some reason I am always attracted to warriors though I sometimes wish it were otherwise. It's probably because you all have the strength of character that I lack."

"Amanda..."

Amanda pressed a finger to Samantha's lips to stop the words she knew would try and refute her statement. "Samantha my love, I'm a thief. A very good one. I enjoy what I do and stealing gives me no qualms whatsoever. On the big issues, I suppose I have a pretty good standing but the little ones like what belongs to whom, those aren't so clear. I like to have money and I enjoy the high life. Duty and honor are not in my everyday vocabulary, though I do know their meanings.

"I appreciate the finer things in life and you, my love, are definitely one of them," Amanda continued. She smiled when Samantha kissed the finger that still lay on those soft lips. Reluctantly, she pulled her finger away as she finished her thoughts. "I do want you. I don't, however, wish to bring you any more heartache than you already experience on a far too-regular basis. This affair is completely in your hands, my love. If you wish to part ways after dinner, I will do that. If you wish a night of exquisite passion, I am willing and eager to join you. If in the morning you want to come with me, to leave this place, I will secret you away where no one can find you and will spend the rest of your life treasuring your beautiful soul and mind."

* * * *

Talk about an offer from the devil, Sam thought. She could see that Amanda meant every single word and it sent a thrill through her. Before she could response, however, an all too familiar voice called out her name. What the hell was Jack doing at Alexander's? "Shit!"

"Friend of yours?" Amanda asked curiously.

Sam stood up just as Jack arrived at the table. "Sir."

"Carter," he greeted, looking over the woman at the table. "Daniel said you'd be by but you didn't show so we got worried."

Amanda stood up and said smoothly, "I'm afraid that I confiscated Samantha for the night. Should I have gotten a permission slip?"

Two pairs of dark eyes locked and Samantha almost groaned at the palpable tension that slammed into the area. Jack towered over Amanda by a good four inches but there was something in the smaller woman's stance that said she had no doubts about taking Jack if it came to blows. Jack obviously sensed this as well because he was stiffening into the over-protective stance Sam could recognize from a hundred paces away, never mind only a foot. "Uh sir, this is Amanda Lee, a friend who came unexpectedly into town. Amanda, this is my CO, Colonel Jack O'Niell."

"Jack! You found her."

What was this? Rescue Carter night? Sam thought furiously as Daniel walked towards them. Still, maybe he could help diffuse the situation. With some sense of relief, if anyone could calm Jack down from `super-dad' mode it was Daniel, she greeted, "Daniel! Hi. What's going on?"

Daniel looked at the three of them for about ten seconds before his hand clamped onto Jack's elbow. "C'mon Jack. Teal'c's waiting for us."

As though coming out of a fog, Jack shook his head and looked at Daniel in confusion. "What're you talking about? Teal'c is..."

"Waiting," Daniel said firmly. He looked curiously at the unknown woman for a moment then winked at Sam before turning his attention back to their erstwhile leader. "It looks like it's girl's night out and we're not invited. Say good night Jack."

Frowning, Jack muttered an obedient good night and followed Daniel out of the area but not before shooting a warning glance at Amanda. Sam breathed a sigh of relief. Meeting Amanda's bemused glance as they settled back into the booth, she picked up her glass and took a sip.

Still staring after the two men, who were now arguing softly in the restaurant lobby, Amanda exclaimed, "Whew! He's a force of nature, isn't he?"

Uncomfortably, Sam assured her, "Don't worry about Jack, he wouldn't have done anything stupid. Not in public anyhow."

Grinning, Amanda said, "I was talking about your young friend Daniel."

Sam couldn't help but return the grin and added a chuckle. "Yes. Daniel is definitely a force of nature. Thankfully, he's on our side."

"Thankfully indeed. The intuitive sort, isn't he?" Amanda commented, sipping at her own glass of Scotch.

Thinking of the many times that Daniel had shown her up on a feeling or hunch, Samantha nodded sourly. "You could say that."

"Ooh. Sounds like I hit a nerve," Amanda said, looking at her carefully.

Samantha shrugged uncomfortably. "I don't know how he does it, to be honest. I'll have all the facts and every possible scenario covered and then he comes out of left field with something that couldn't possibly be the answer and yet, it is!"

"That's gotta rub the wrong way."

Snorting, Sam replied, "Only the first hundred times or so."

"Let me guess. If you didn't love him so much you'd murder him," Amanda guessed.

"Something like that," Sam agreed.

"I believe you were about to respond to my offer before we were so rudely interrupted," Amanda said.

The reminder wasn't subtle but then, Sam didn't think Amanda believed subtlety was going to get the job done. And what a purely military way to think about such an incredible offer, she thought ruefully. The dark eyes across the table were intent but relaxed and showed no sign of pressure, one way or the other. Sliding her hand across the table, Sam linked her fingers with Amanda's and said, "Yes to dinner and...dessert. No thank you on squirreling me away somewhere, as tempting as that is right now."

An impish smile crossed Amanda's face as she said, "You might change your mind by morning, keep your options open."

Chuckling, Sam brought the small hand to her lips and kissed the knuckles one at a time. "I just might at that."

--------------------------

"Nice room," Sam remarked, looking around the plush suite. It was decorated in rich golds and tans, conveying a sense of understated wealth. The bed was huge and hung with lace from the canopy. There were two wardrobes and a table with chairs off to one side and a door that led, she assumed, to the bathroom.

Amanda tossed her keys onto the table and nodded. "I thought so. Would you care to freshen up a bit?"

Now that she was in the room with Amanda, the tension that had permeated their walk to the hotel took over. Sam crossed the distance and slowly pulled the smaller woman into her arms, enjoying the way they fit together. Amanda's head rested at the top of her breasts, her ear over Sam's heart and her arms around Sam's waist. She felt the warm laughter run through the immortal as well as the words that followed.

"I'll take that as a no."

Sam kissed the top of Amanda's head and agreed, "That would be a no."

Leaning back, Amanda looked up at her and asked, "How does getting naked sound then?"

Grinning, Sam leaned down to capture Amanda's lips in a soft, playful kiss. Straightening up, she watched the flush run over the delicate features even as those dark eyes opened again. "It sounds great to me."

Amanda winked and stepped back, pulling off her jacket and tossing it blindly towards the table.

Sam's eyes were drawn to the bloodstain on the blouse and she reached out to undo the small, pearl-like buttons. There was a faint, red mark where the knife had broken the skin and a small
amount of blood on the scar but nothing else to show the death wound. Shaking her head in wonder, Sam whispered, "I still can't believe it."

"Kiss it better?" Amanda requested softly, looking up at her.

Without thinking, Sam did exactly that, pressing her lips just above the curve of the breast where the knife had gone in. Her tongue slipped along the vertical cut and she tasted copper in her mouth. Amanda's arms went around her neck, holding her as she licked her way towards a nipple covered in silk. Mouthing the breast through the material, Sam made use of her multi-tasking brain to unhook the bra in the back then slide her hands along the muscled back

Amanda arched against her, filling her mouth even as Sam slipped the bra off. When she actually tasted the soft skin, Amanda moaned softly. Knowing exactly where they were in position to the bed, even though she couldn't see it, Sam backed Amanda towards it while maintaining the contact between her lips and tongue with a hardening nipple.

The bra discarded, Sam made a start on the silk blouse, pulling it off Amanda. Ignoring the disappointed noise from her new lover, she moved up to kiss the bared shoulder. It had been a long time since she'd been able to explore such a beautiful woman and she was going to linger. Since she was standing more or less straight again, Sam shifted and recaptured Amanda's mouth.

This time the kiss was long and deep, their tongues dancing, and then dueling, in turn. Amanda's hands were on her bare skin before she even realized that her pants were undone and pushed down several inches. Startled, she broke the kiss and looked into Amanda's laughing eyes.

"I am a thief," Amanda reminded, nipping at Sam's collarbone.

Chuckling, Sam rolled her head back to allow better access to her neck and agreed, "A very good one from what I understand."

"An excellent thief," Amanda murmured against her throat while slender fingers massaged the top of Sam's buttocks.

Shivers ran rampant at the intimate touch and Sam hissed in surprise when a knowing hand slid down to grasp her ass and pull her tight. For a small woman, there was definitely more strength then was apparent. That was good, though, since it meant that Sam wouldn't have to worry about accidentally hurting Amanda if she got carried away.

As though reading her mind, Amanda murmured, "I'm all yours, my love, and I bite back so don't you worry."

Baring her teeth in a faux growl, Sam pushed the smaller woman onto the bed then jumped upon it, landing just beside Amanda. "Good to know."

Lying on the golden bedspread with ease, Amanda pushed up on an elbow and pouted, "You're awfully clothed, Samantha my love."

"You first," Sam teased, reaching for the belt that hugged the narrow waist before her. As she pulled down the pants, she paused to lick and kiss random spots along the way. By the time she reached Amanda's feet, she discovered that the shoes and socks had been slipped off, saving her the trouble of doing it herself. She threw the clothes negligibly onto the floor beside the bed and took a dainty foot in her hands, marveling that they were small even compared to Sam's hands. "You're so tiny. I feel like I could break you by accident."

In a split second, Sam found herself turned completely around and flat on her back with Amanda staring down at her. The smaller woman was straddled across her hips and a knife was pressed to Sam's throat. Swallowing in nervous excitement, she waited.

* * * *

"I am far from helpless, Samantha my love," Amanda assured her, running the knife's dull edge down the hollow between the golden woman's breasts. She didn't miss the hitch in Samantha's breath when the cold blade teased along her nipple through the shirt. Time to get the foolish notion of being fragile right out of Samantha's head. "I've been around for 1200 years don't forget. You learn a lot of tricks in that time, no pun intended."

"So I see," Samantha agreed. Her hands moved to clasp Amanda's thighs, massaging them firmly. "Where'd the knife come from? I know for a fact it wasn't hidden in your clothes."

"Trade secret," Amanda demurred, enjoying the heavy caresses. Sheathing the blade, she tossed it onto the bedstead and leaned forward to steal a kiss. It was hotter than before, long and wet as she was devoured by Samantha's mouth. For all the fact that she had the upper hand, so to speak, it was the officer beneath her commanding the kiss. She hadn't felt such dedicated passion and need in a long, long time. Nick had passion but...in comparison to Samantha, he seemed almost distracted. Maybe it came from being a military scientist; the woman was all focus and drive.

Panting between the heady kisses when Samantha allowed her to break away for breath, Amanda began to feel that throbbing which signaled the need to bring things to a higher level. She pushed herself lower and settled between Samantha's still clothed legs, pushing up the sweater to reveal firm abs covered in smooth skin. The other woman rose up and their hands brushed when long fingers reached for the sweater to yank it over her head and throw it aside.

While still half sitting, Samantha leaned forward to kiss her again and Amanda found herself completely under the other woman's sway once more. God this woman knew how to kiss! Moaning her disappointment into the hot mouth, Amanda forced herself to back away and get to work on Samantha's pants. Without taking any time, she just pulled them down, along with the plain, cotton white undies. Meeting Samantha's eyes, she murmured, "Very cute."

Sticking out her tongue, Samantha answered, "Much more practical than yours."

Grinning, Amanda said, "Who wants to be practical? And hasn't anyone ever told you it's not polite to make faces at other people?"

"What're you going to do about it?" Samantha challenged.

Never one to go for the obvious response, Amanda slid her hand along Samantha's long legs until she came to the juncture. She felt the shiver travel through Samantha as she dipped a finger inside.

* * * *

Sam's eyes closed involuntarily at the intimate contact and all urge to joke vanished, firmly replaced with deeper urges. She fell back against the soft pillows with a sigh of pleasure, just feeling the sensations of someone else's fingers there. It felt wonderful to be on the receiving end of some serious worship. At least, that's what Amanda's slow touch felt like to Sam. It was soft, caressing and pleasing, easily drawing out the slickness that no one had teased forth in way too long.

When the slip of a tongue licked at her inner thigh, apparently poised to go even higher, all of Sam's internal alarms went off and she sat bolt upright, reaching to stop Amanda.

Startled, Amanda asked, "What is it? What's wrong?"

Trying to control her breathing, Sam gasped, "Protection! We don't have any!"

A smile played around Amanda's face and she replied, "It's all right. I don't get diseases so even if you have any, which I doubt, I'll be fine. And since I can't catch anything, you're safe as well."

Relieved, Sam lay back once more and muttered, "Sorry, talk about a mood killing panic attack."

Amanda covered her and captured her mouth before murmuring, "Still definitely in the mood here, Samantha."

Sam wrapped her arms around the smaller woman's shoulders to keep her on top, liking the weight pressing down upon her. It was also much better for kissing, which she couldn't seem to get enough of. Slipping her tongue into Amanda's mouth, she imagined that she could still taste the coffee flavored chocolate from the tiramisu. Amanda's hands continued their explorations while their mouths were locked in an almost savage kiss.

This time an elegant finger pressed inside, curving into the wet warmth and causing the pleasant throbbing in Sam's clit to jump into overdrive. Squirming slightly against the sensations, Sam sighed into Amanda's mouth. Amanda broke the kiss and nibbled her way down Sam's throat to suck at the hollow of her throat. Needing something to do aside from just lying there, Sam massaged what she could reach of Amanda's shoulders.

A feather-light lick across her right nipple caused Sam to gasp in surprise. When Amanda playfully bit the hardened skin between her teeth, a shudder ran over her. "God, and I thought...I thought I could multi-task!"

A warm chuckle from Amanda sounded against her skin as the immortal licked her way down the curve of one generous breast to the nipple of the other.

Between the thoroughly wet licking she was taking, literally, and the careful thrust of fingers into her, Sam didn't know whether she was coming or going. Higher brain functions that she'd always taken pride in having shut down, one by one, when Amanda's tongue trailed downwards to nuzzle her ribs and abs and finally stopped between her legs.

"Fuck," Sam breathed as the tongue circled her clit. Internal muscles clenched vainly at the fingers that wouldn't stop pushing in and out of her. Two fingers became three and her hips were thrusting hard against them, searching for more pressure. "Harder, please, oh God!"

* * * *

Amanda happily obliged the desperate demand and added suction to her manipulation. Samantha cried out at the change in pace and more liquid came, coating her tongue. Strong thigh and ass muscles flexed as Amanda drove the other woman towards her climax. Her world narrowed to the small area of wet heat immediately before her; the silky inside that was as wonderful as Samantha's outside. She pushed further in, seeking that magic little nub that would bring everything together.

A loud cry and the rapid snapping of Samantha's hips finally rewarded her search. As though wracked with fever, the officer's body shuddered and she cried out twice more as Amanda kept her tongue moving over the stiffened tissue. Her own orgasm wasn't far behind as Amanda's internal muscles imitated Samantha's, only with more experience. Stiffening at last as waves of orgasm hit her, Amanda collapsed onto Samantha, her head lying on a relaxed thigh.

They remained that way for several minutes and then Amanda dragged herself up to lay beside Samantha. Laying on her side, she watched as the flush slowly left the other woman's face and her breathing returned to normal. Short golden tufts of hair were matted with sweat and Amanda could see the same stain against the pillow. The blue eyes that could hypnotize her at will turned to her now with a luminous quality that had definitely not been there before. "Hi there."

Samantha smiled and scooted closer, resting one hand on Amanda's hip. "Hi there yourself."

"Need a nap?" Amanda asked.

Sighing deeply, Samantha shook her head.

Grinning broadly, Amanda commented, "Must be losing my touch then."

Echoing the grin, Samantha replied, "Oh I think your touch is just fine. I can see that you're a very hands on kind of person, it shows in the end result."

Amanda accepted the kiss, as well as the faintly grateful taste to it, then found herself rolled underneath the taller woman. Looking up into the cornflower blue eyes, Amanda had to close her own eyes against the spell therein. "Women were burned at the stake for a less penetrating gaze."

"Daniel would love you."

Surprised at the non sequitur, Amanda opened her eyes and asked, "Excuse me?"

"All that first hand experience of history. He would kill to pick your brain," Samantha explained lightly, tracing her finger over Amanda's cheekbone.

"Immortality's not everything people have it cracked up to be. Just look at the hideous fashion mistakes over the centuries," Amanda said dryly. Twining their legs together, she settled Samantha against her and continued, "This is the best part life, Samantha my love."

Samantha kissed her shoulder and ran her fingers down Amanda's side. "I believe you."

"Good." Amanda thought that Samantha drifted off to sleep but was proved mistaken when a hand snuck between them and slipped under her underwear. "Looking for something?"

Smiling mischievously, Samantha answered, "Just looking."

"I see." Before Amanda could say anything else, Samantha moved down so that she was at breast level and proceeded to settle in there quite contentedly. Amanda watched as Samantha kissed and mouthed her breast, licking the nipple into a hard bud while her fingers played the other one into a similar state.

Part of the thrill in having a lover was finding someone who took such complete joy in giving pleasure instead of receiving it. Amanda had definitely found that in Samantha. She knew that from the restless way the other woman had tried to return her caresses even though she'd lost too many wits at the time to actually do so. Of course, Samantha also struck her as the sort to subscribe to the "If you're going to do a job, you should do it right." mentality. Which in this case was definitely an asset.

Hands skimmed over her, drawing out responses to the heavy caresses, light pinches and scratches, and gentle tracings. A wet, hot tongue moved all over her torso, eliciting shivers and goosebumps in its wake. When teeth were added to the mix with sharp little bites, Amanda groaned.

Time slowed down at the point when Samantha's skilled mouth started making love to her. Her hips jerked at the unexpected contact, sending her senses crashing. Hands remained in place at her hips, holding her down firmly so Samantha could have her way. Not that Amanda would dream of trying to stop her, not as incredible as it felt, but Samantha seemed to feel it necessary. Although, after a particularly intense bout between tongue and clit that left Amanda reeling, she thought vaguely that perhaps holding her in place wasn't such a bad idea.

The end came in a rush and Amanda didn't know what triggered it but a long, hoarse cry broke free as she came on a long wave. When Samantha pulled her into strong arms an eternity later, Amanda couldn't even form a coherent thought let alone thank her for such a beautiful experience. Sleep and release pulled her into an embrace almost as comforting as Samantha's arms.

* * * *

When Sam woke, the bed was still warm but it was definitely empty. She rolled over with a disappointed groan and hugged the pillow that still bore the delicate scent of her lover, burying her face in it. She hadn't really expected Amanda to still be here but part of her had hoped for it. Flopping back over, Sam lay there for a long time before getting out of bed and going to the shower.

The hot spray woke her up fully and as she dressed, Sam realized that she felt good. It hadn't just been the sex, though that had been incredible. It was being in someone's company who really seemed to see her, to appreciate and understand her. Not to mention Amanda's wicked sense of humor and fun.

She left the hotel without anyone even looking twice at her. The morning was chilly and she made her way back to Main St. to get breakfast and a paper. She wasn't ready just yet to go back to her life at the base. The first thing she saw on the morning addition was the headline, "Jewel on Loan - Stolen!"

Buying the paper, she scanned the article and saw that there had been a large diamond on display at the local museum. It had all the high-tech security needed and yet someone had manage to steal it with great skill. Shaking her head with an amused smile on her lips, Sam murmured, "Amanda, what am I going to do with you?"

In her mind, she heard, "Nothing, Samantha my love. And isn't it wonderful just how easy it is to forgive me?"

Chuckling, Sam moved towards the coffee shop, tucking the paper under her arm to finish reading later.

* * * *

Another long, dull day that her life had become without the vivacity of Amanda to fill it was passing by. How strange that she could so miss someone who'd been in her life for such a short time. Daniel and Teal'c were concerned, she knew, and Jack was starting to get irritated, but she couldn't seem to shake the funk that had enveloped her.

"Major?"

Sam looked up at the unfamiliar voice and saw a Corporal standing there bearing a package. "Yes?"

"It's for you, Major Carter."

Lips pursing thoughtfully, Sam motioned the young man closer and took the package from him. It was small and taped to an envelope. Looking at the plainly wrapped package with curiosity, Sam didn't recognize the handwriting as anyone's she knew. Nonplused, she carefully shook the small box but heard nothing suspicious. Opening it, her jaw dropped as she looked at the pendant she'd been staring at the week before. Had the immortal robbed the museum and then gone back to the store and bought the pendant for her? Or had she come back another day and stolen it?

Ripping open the envelope to find out the answer, she smiled at the dainty script that was clearly from another age.

Samantha my love,

Before you ask, yes, I did actually buy the pendant. I know you are far too honest to accept a gift that comes from less than honest means. That's not to say I didn't rob the museum, because I did. But the pendant is yours, guilt free. I hope that you will treasure it as I treasure our brief time together. You are a truly remarkable woman and I can not wait until our next meeting.

I think I'll just surprise you and show up one day when you're looking in that same store window, hopefully wearing my pendant.

My heart is fearful for you, knowing that perhaps one of your missions will be too dangerous and you won't return. But I know that is the fate of the warrior which you truly are, my love, no matter what you may think. If you ever wish to leave, simply place an ad in the Parisian Times that says, `Warrior looking for her Thief.' I will return to Colorado and whisk you away. You shall be hidden so well that no one will ever be able to find you.

Trust me. I *can* do that.

I'm going to take my leave now, thinking of your warm skin under my hands and your beautiful heart holding my newly reawakened one.

Ever Faithfully Yours,
Amanda


Sam closed her eyes, trying to hold back the bittersweet tears as she held the letter to her chest. It was exactly what she'd needed to know, exactly what she'd needed to hear. Taking a deep breath, Sam wiped away the unexpected tears and turned on her computer, ready to face her world again.

end