Fic: Given Up

Author: kyrdwyn

Author's e-mail:
kyrdwyn@bellsouth.net

Author's urls:
http://www.geocities.com/toxicrev/csihome.html CSI
http://www.geocities.com/toxicrev/nx01home.html Enterprise

Rating: PG

Pairing: Daniel/Jonas

Archive: Yes to WWOMB and Area 52

Spoilers: Oh boy. Thor's Hammer, Torment of Tantalus, Forever in a Day, Absolute Power, Meridian, Full Circle, Fallen, Homecoming.

Beta: jdw

Disclaimers: Not Mine, Not Mine, But how I wish they were. :)

Author's Notes: Just an idea that had been kicking around ever since I saw Thor's Hammer and the bunny grew up tonight.

Feedback: Please? ::Jonas-kicked-puppy-look::

Given Up
by kyrdwyn


In seven years, I have given up so much for this fight. I gave up chances to bring my wife back free of the Goa'uld that stole her from me. I gave up chances to learn about the universe, about those races that came before us and that built the Stargate. I gave up my friendship with Jack when he fell in love with Sam. I gave up my wife when Teal'c was forced to kill her to save my life. I gave up the chance to raise her son because the world wasn't - I wasn't - ready for the knowledge. I gave up my life as I knew it to save people I didn't even know.

All that power at my hands, and they were tied by stupid rules of non-interference. I couldn't save the people I loved from destruction at Anubis' hands. So I came back, and now I struggle to remember that which I should. All I can seem to remember is what I gave up, not the good I must
have done in my time here.

Gods, I gave up so much for so many people. Only one of them was ever grateful, ever took the time to say so, even though he didn't know I was listening. He talked to me a lot, before and after I returned from my powerless stay on the higher plane. He doesn't know I heard him when I was
ascended, of course. But I did. I heard enough about his people, his life, his dreams and fears.

I heard enough to fall in love with him.

When I returned, I couldn't remember that. I didn't remember until after he had left for his homeworld, letting me return to my former job. A job where I was still required to give up every thing for others, no thanks in return. Yet before I returned, he was falling in love with me. I gave him up before I remembered I had him.

Well, now I am going to make them give up something. They will give up me, though I doubt they will realize it. It's taken time, and planning, but I have everything in place now. They are pounding at the doors that block the corridor to the gateroom, even as the chevrons lock into place. As soon as the seventh has locked, I am out of the control room and in the gateroom. The wormhole has opened, and I don't look back as I grab the bag I left at the bottom of the ramp and race up and through the gate to my new life.

Long, dizzying moments later, I stumble through the other ring, breathless from my run across the universe. Immediately I am engulfed in strong arms, warm arms that welcome me, reassure me that I do not have to give up anything again.

I pull back, still in his arms, and look into his blue eyes. "I won't give you up, Jonas."

He smiles back, kissing me softly. "I will never let you, Daniel."


END