Title: Future Glimpse

Author: kyrdwyn

Email:
kyrdwyn@dkeb.com

Rating: PG

Pairings: Jack/Jonas

Category: Established Relationship

Date: 5/25/2003

Series: None

Archive: Yes to WWOMB and Area 52. All others please ask first.

Author's Websites:
CSI fic -
http://www.geocities.com/toxicrev/csihome.html
Enterprise fic -
http://www.geocities.com/toxicrev/nx01home.html

Disclaimer: The boys are not mine; I just snuck through the stargate and borrowed them.

Notes: I've never subscribed to the "One True Pairing" theory of fan fic (just read my other stories - I play around with all pairings) so please don't e-mail me complaining that Jack belongs with Daniel. In my universe, Daniel would still look like James Spader. We can't all get what we want. Thanks to jdw for all the help.

Summary: With Daniel's return, how much will SG-1 change?

Warnings: Character Death, kinda.

 

Future Glimpse
by kyrdwyn

He walked down the hall towards his lab, only to stop as the sound of laughter drifted from it. Resuming his course, he stopped just shy of entering the room. Inside were Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter, Teal'c, and a fourth man, a man Jonas didn't know very well, but whose return meant Jonas' life was going to change. Daniel Jackson.

The four of them were laughing and smiling, Daniel holding forth on some obscure bit of knowledge gained from Oma Desala. As Jonas watched, he realized that Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter were helping Daniel pack some items into cardboard boxes. When the Major moved, Jonas recognized one of his mementos from an off world mission being put into the box. Colonel O'Neill was placed another one of Jonas' things into the box.

Obviously, this was no longer Jonas' lab. Biting his lip against the pain, he turned and walked back down the hall. He'd known that Daniel Jackson's return would change things, but he didn't realize how much. Naively, he'd assumed that SG-1 would become a five man team, all of them working together to unite the other races and defeat the Goa'uld.

Jonas continued to wander the base, lost in thought. He heard his name and looked up, realizing that he was by the infirmary. He stopped as he heard General Hammond reply to Dr. Frazier.

"I need Jonas to go with SG-12 on a mission - their translator was killed on their last one and we haven't found a new replacement. When he returns, we'll reassign Jonas to the base to catalog some of the items brought back from other missions."

"What about SG-1, sir?"

"They have Dr. Jackson back, they'll do just as fine as always. Perhaps better than the past year or so, since Dr. Jackson is the expert. Colonel O'Neill only had Jonas assigned to SG-1 to avoid having a Russian member. He's already asked that Dr. Jackson be returned to active duty on SG-1 and Jonas Quinn be re-assigned to another team. The problem is that no other team wants him, but we can't allow Jonas to leave the base."

Jonas turned on his heel and walked away quickly, trying to ignore the gaping hole in his chest where his heart had been. He'd given up everything - his position, his friends, his home - to help out the humans when Dr. Jackson had saved his people from their own folly. He'd gone against his leaders and told the truth, and been labeled a traitor for it. Now, he was being tossed aside by the people he'd worked with for the past year, as if nothing he had done mattered. He wasn't even as important as Teal'c, another alien who'd turned his back on all he had believed in.

The base sirens sounded, signaling the activation of the stargate. Jonas headed to the gate room, knowing that SG-9 was due back today from P5X-794. He stood behind the armed Marine unit until chevron seven locked, then he darted between two of them and up the ramp just as the vortex exploded outward.

* * * * * *

Jack O'Neill came awake with a gasp, the image of Jonas deliberately incinerating himself in the vortex of an opening wormhole dancing in front of his eyes.

"Jack? You okay?"

Jack shifted in the bed to see Jonas' green eyes staring at him, still clouded by sleep. It struck him
again that as much as he knew Jonas' body, as much as he thought he knew Jonas' mind and heart, there was still so much to learn.

Like how Daniel's return was affecting him.

Jack sighed. "Bad dream."

Jonas nodded. "You want to talk about it?"

"No. Yes. Look, Jonas. . ." Jack sighed again. He hated talking about his feelings, and Jonas knew it. Jonas wouldn't push. He simply accepted what Jack was willing to give him, and didn't ask for more. Yet he deserved more for putting up with a cranky, gun happy, not-exactly-diplomatic Air Force colonel who barely seemed to tolerate Jonas on base and couldn't keep his hands to himself off base.

"Hey, it's okay, Jack." Jonas closed his eyes and burrowed his head back into the pillow.

"Danny's return won't change anything, Jonas."

There was no response from his lover.

"You're still part of SG-1."

Jonas nodded, eyes still closed. Jack watched as his breathing evened out into sleep. Only then did he reach out to stroke the cropped hair and fair cheek.

"And I still love you," he whispered, closing his own eyes and moving closer to put his arms around Jonas.


=====
END