Title: Power Struggle

Author: Vigdis

Fandom: Smallville

Pairings: Clark/Lex

Rating: PG-13

Category: AU, Angst

Status: WIP

Series: Yes (Not yet named)

Date: March 27, 2002

E-Mail: vigdis@squidge.org

Feedback: Craved! Need feedback! Please be constructive... Details are good! Also, tell me what you want to see more of, what you want to find out the answers to, etc... I love details!

Archive: WWOMB, Vig’s Vale

Valdron’s Handy Dandy Disclaimer: (modified for this work)
Smallville, the series (or movie, book, etc.), concepts and characters, are the property, copyright and trademark of Warner Bros. & DC Comics. No ownership or claim on said property, copyright or trademark is made or implied by the use in this work. This work constitutes a personal comment on the aforesaid properties pursuant to doctrines of fair use and fair comment. This work is non-commercial, not for sale or profit, and may not be sold or reproduced for commercial purposes. All other characters and situations which are not specifically owned by the above mentioned are sole copyright of the author.

Dorinari Disclaimer: (I realize this is slightly redundant, but...)
The Dorinari Empire, all of it’s citizens, and the entire concept of this place, it’s citizens, and it’s culture are the creation, property, and sole copyright of the author.

Thanks: To Caroline Corken for inspiring me with her lovely Smallville stories.

Notes: The boys have been lovers for a while. I will go back and write the appropriate prequels later. This one was on my mind when I woke up this morning. Not beta’d.

Chapter 6 Notes: Please bear with me on the Dorinari pronunciations.

Some general rules are:
Three syllable surnames generally have the stress on the first syllable.
Example: Dorias [DOR-ee-ahs].

Three syllable personal names generally have the stress on the middle syllable.

Example: Alandae [Ah-LAHN-day].
"ae" is pronounced as in "hot fudge sundae" and a solitary "a" is generally pronounced as an "AH" sound.

The letter "y" in the middle of a word is pronounced as in "sky".

The letter "i" is pronounced as in "kin" in the middle of a word and pronounced like a long "e" as in "me" at the end of a word, so the words tiri (meaning prince) and tira (meaning princess) are pronounced [tir-ee] and [tir-ah] or, in other words, exactly as we would pronounce them in english.

Unless otherwise indicated, names are pronounced as in english, with the middle syllable stressed, as stated above.

Example: Talisa is [Tah-LEE-sah] not [Tah-LISS-ah].

Dorinari clothing is vaguely medieval/renaissance in style. They prefer all natural fabrics. Dorinari boots are made of soft leather, have pointed toes and riding heels, and are exceedingly comfortable to wear. Everyone wears them. I think it’s a law or something... (just kidding).

Also, Nathan bears a striking resemblance to a young Michael Praed. If you don’t know what he looks like, check out http://www.chaoticworks.com/praed/ and http://www.michaelpraed.org/chm/index.htm

Warnings: Lot’s of focus on the Dorinari in this chapter. You need to get to know them a little for future stuff.

You’ll notice they seem to like leather an awful lot. Don’t get any ideas, though. It’s not about BDSM.

And don't get any ideas about Nathan and Jaed. The Dorinari don't DO incest!

Summary: Lex and Clark discuss trust.


Power Struggle
by Vigdis

As Lex walked into his study, he saw Clark. The younger man was sitting on the edge of a large plush leather chair, elbows on his knees and head in his hands.

"Clark?" Lex asked, worried. "What’s wrong?" Clark looked up at Lex with anguish in his eyes. Lex rushed over and knelt in front of him, touching him comfortingly. "Tell me!" he demanded, fear in his voice.

Clark’s hand cupped Lex’s cheek, stroking gently. "I want to trust you, Lex. I want to trust you completely. I want to tell you all my secrets; share my deepest self." He looked searchingly into the older man’s eyes. "But I can’t, Lex. I can’t trust that if I do, you won’t change. I don’t want to be used, Lex. I want to be loved. I need to know that you will put me and our love before power; before control; even before the politics that seem to rule your life."

"I want that, too, Clark," Lex answered carefully. "I want us to be able to trust each other completely. No secrets." He looked away. "But I’m afraid. There are things about me... You might hate me if you knew, Clark."

"You’re going to have to trust me with those things, Lex. Trust me to continue to love you; to help you become the man you are capable of being. The man you want to be." Clark gently pulled Lex into his arms before continuing.

"I know what happened yesterday, Lex. What you did..."

"I was only protecting myself."

"No, Lex. You were protecting your power base."

"Same thing," Lex answered with a shrug, pulling away a little.

"No, they’re not!" Clark insisted. "If you lost everything you own, you would still be you!" Clark’s voice softened, "And I would still love you" he said emphatically.

Lex collapsed into Clark’s embrace, holding tight. "What if the opposite happened, Clark? Would you still love me then?"

"I will always love you, Lex," Clark assured him. "I love the man you are and the man you want to be." He paused. "I also see the man you are becoming, though, and they are not the same at all. The man you are becoming is an awful lot like your father, Lex. That scares me. I know he’s not what you want to be."

Lex shuddered heavily in Clark’s strong arms. "Help me?" he pleaded in a small voice. "I don’t want to be like him, Clark! I don’t want to turn into him. Please don’t let me turn into my father!" Lex whimpered, clinging to the younger man in desperation.

Clark pulled Lex up into his lap and held him close. Placing a curled finger under Lex’s chin, he drew the shaking man into a long, loving kiss. His embrace spoke of love and comfort, rather than passion, as he held and stroked Lex gently. When Lex calmed, Clark asked, "What do you see in me, Lex? What do you need from me?"

Lex’s eyes met Clark’s and he understood. There was no self-doubt in the questions. Clark simply needed to know what Lex wanted him to do. Where he wanted their relationship to go. For the first time in his life, Lex trusted someone completely. He knew Clark would keep his word. He knew Clark was genuinely good. Clark would not use his weaknesses against him.

Lex took a deep breath and, plunged in. "I need you to be who you are. And to help me become more like you. Less like him. I never want to be like him, Clark. I have all these grand visions for the future. For making the world a better place. I want to make it happen! I want the future to be wonderful. And I want us to be together." He paused, taking another deep breath. "I want us to be side by side for the rest of our lives, Clark. I know that’s asking too much. You’re much to young to commit yourself to one person for the rest of your life. And then there’s the fact that we both enjoy the company of women." He shrugged. "I could never ask you to give up on Lana. I think I’ve helped you in that regard, often enough that you know that. I enjoy being with women, too. But I don’t want to hurt you. I want to be with you. I love you. I’ve never been in love with anyone before. I’ve never known anyone like you before."

"What do you mean, like me?"

Lex smiled. "I mean I’ve never met someone so selfless; so totally honest. You amaze me, Clark. Sure, you have secrets. Everyone does. But you genuinely care about others. Most people don’t. At least not enough to risk themselves for them. You care enough. You cared enough about a total stranger to dive into a river and pull him out of a sinking car. You cared enough to be my friend when everyone, including your parents, warned you away. You defended me and befriended me and, finally, you loved me. All because you care. Until I met you I didn’t really believe that was possible."

"A lot of people care, Lex. I’m just sorry you haven’t met many of them." Clark’s expression was sad, considering. "What if it were true, Lex? What if you had hit me with you car and I wasn’t hurt? How would you feel about me then?"

Lex thought for a long moment. "I suppose I would be hurt that you had lied to me."

"Then I wouldn’t be so totally honest, would I?" Clark sounded angry.

Lex stroked his hair. "I would understand, Clark." Clark’s anger was palpable. Lex stood and paced as he considered; organized his thoughts.

"If you were that indestructible, you’d have to be careful who you trusted. That kind of information - that kind of power - would be dangerous in the wrong hands." Lex smiled slightly, as he turned to face Clark. "As for the main root of my love for you? It would remain unchanged. I ran you down in the road, however accidental. Any other man would have gotten out and left me to drown. You pulled me out. Either way it happened, you pulled me out. You saved my life when you didn’t have to. There was no personal gain involved. You didn’t know me, so you couldn’t care about me, personally. You cared about me, enough to pull me out of that car, simply because I was alive. No other reason required. You cared. That’s all, Clark. You have this amazing capacity for compassion. I thought compassion was a fairy tale until I met you. You make fairy tales believable, Clark, because you believe in the basic goodness of others. I don’t. I never have. At least not since I was a small child. Maybe I did then. I don’t remember."

"Are you sure? If I was indestructible, you would still love me? Still trust me? Even though I had lied to you all this time?"

"I believe I would. That’s all I can say, Clark. We both know it’s a moot point, anyway. Remember, I came to see you in the hospital after you were hurt."

Clark leapt out of the chair to pace. "What if that was a fluke? What if that only happened - he could only hurt me - because all the stuff he could do was really my power and he only got it because of that lightening strike? And I got it back the same way? Think about it Lex. Could you really still trust me if you found out I’ve been lying to you ever since we met?"

"Have you been lying to me, Clark?"

"Please, Lex." Clark turned, his own teary eyes looking deep into his lover’s. "Could you trust me?"

Lex’s eyes widened. His mind whirled with images, memories. Clark was finally telling him his secret. Clark was trusting him with knowledge that could hurt him. If Lex proved untrustworthy, he could use that knowledge to destroy Clark.

Lex smiled.

He passed the test.

"Yes, Clark. I still trust you." Lex stepped over and wrapped his arms around Clark’s firm young body. "See?" He sighed. "If you’re strong enough to do that to my car, you’re strong enough to hurt, or even kill me, if you lose control - in anger or in passion. But I trust you, Clark. I love you. I understand, now, what you meant earlier about being used. I don’t ever want use you like that, Clark. If you start to feel that I am, call me on it. You have to tell me what your feeling, Clark. I can’t read your mind. And, unlike you, I don’t have the moral compass to know for certain. You’ve taught me so much about doing the right thing. Please. Keep teaching me."

Clark encircled Lex in his arms and smiled through his tears. "I will, my love. I will."

Chapter Two:

Moving out of the circle of Clark’s arms, Lex took his hand and led him toward the stairs. Clark looked around quickly, scanning through the walls for anyone close enough to walk in and see them.

The coast was clear.

He swept Lex up into his arms and they became a blur of speed as he ran up the steps to Lex’s bedroom. He placed Lex on the bed, sped back to lock the door and was at Lex’s side again in the space of a heartbeat.

Lex blinked. "Wow!" He grinned. "I guess that was you on that surveillance tape from the museum."

"Yeah," Clark admitted sheepishly as he crawled onto the bed. "It was the only way I could get that creep off my back. You were right about him," Clark smiled back as he started undressing Lex who neither protested nor helped. He just let Clark’s hands work their magic.

"I guess we compliment each other... You trust too much. I don’t trust enough," Lex mused as Clark skillfully divested him of his coat and tie.

"Maybe. Maybe if we work together, we can make your dreams of a brighter future come true." He had Lex’s shirt unbuttoned, now.

"That would be nice, Clark. That would be nice..." Lex sighed, stretching languidly. "Umm, Clark? Do you think you could move a little faster?" Lex asked, raising an eyebrow. "This is taking entirely too long."

Clark sat back and grinned. "Are you sure?" he asked. When Lex nodded, he moved.

He had them both stark naked in under two seconds. The clothes were folded neatly on a chair. Clark stood beside the bed gazing intently at Lex. Lex smiled slowly. "Like what you see?" Lex leered.

"Oh, my yes!" Clark murmured, gnawing on his lower lip. "As long as I don’t look too hard..."

"Huh?" Lex was stunned.

Clark smiled at him wistfully. "If I look too hard, I see right through your skin. I’m learning to control it, but sometimes I still see bones or muscles instead of faces and bodies. It’s a little unnerving," Clark shrugged.

"You’re kidding! X-Ray Vision?"

"‘Fraid so. I’m sort of a freak, I guess."

"No, Clark," Lex said firmly. "You’re special - different - but you’re not a freak."

"Then what am I, Lex?"

"You’re the man I love."

"There’s so much you don’t know about me."

"Are you willing to tell me?"

"Yes."

"Then it can wait," Lex smiled. "Make love to me."

Clark’s worry dissolved into a smile and he climbed onto the bed. He slid up Lex’s body, carefully caressing as he moved.

Lex closed his eyes and softly moaned his pleasure. Strong, gentle hands stroked his skin. Lex raised his arms over his head and simply enjoyed the feel of Clark’s hands on his body. Clark followed hands with lips. Warm breath brushed lightly over his skin and Lex shuddered, trying not to jump. He didn’t want Clark to think he was afraid; that he didn’t trust him.

Clark looked up at Lex, worried. "Are you okay? Do you want me to stop?"

Lex raised his head and met Clark’s eyes. "If you do, I’ll fucking find a way to kill you."

Clark grinned and lunged forward for a kiss, covering Lex’s body with his own. Lex was surprised to find Clark seemed to weigh less than he had before. When their lips finally parted, he asked, "Why are you so light?"

Clark said, "Well... I’m sort of floating. Well, almost, anyway. I’m holding myself up with my legs. It’s easy," he shrugged again. "I do float sometimes, but it’s always when I’m sleeping. I wake up floating above my bed. That’s the other reason I haven’t ever stayed with you."

"The first being your parents? Curfew?"

"Yes. If I had my way, I’d stay the night."

"Well, Clark, give me the next best thing. Love me into exhaustion and let me fall asleep in your arms. Someday, maybe I’ll get to wake up in them, too."

Clark nodded, nuzzling his lover’s neck. He nipped lightly at the skin over Lex’s right collarbone, leaving his mark. Lex gasped, "Oh! That was - unexpected."

"Too much?"

"No, lover. Not too much. You didn’t draw blood. If you did, I might have to scold you."

Clark laughed and sucked gently on the mark, drawing the blood to the surface, causing a well defined love-mark to form, framed by the slight indentations left by his teeth.

Lex moaned. He threaded one hand through that thick dark hair as the other traveled across Clark’s broad, muscled back. A tug at Clark’s hair brought his mouth back to Lex’s. He lowered both hands to knead at Clark’s buttocks. He stroked slowly back up Clark’s sides, surrendering totally to the kiss.

Clark disengaged and collected the lube and condoms from the bedside table. They had determined early on that the old saying was right. Too much lube was nearly enough. They used high quality lube and it was very expensive. Fortunately, Lex wasn’t hurting for money. They could replenish their supply as often as the wished.

Clark squirted some lube onto his fingers and reached back toward his own anus. Lex grabbed his wrist. "No, Clark. Not tonight." At the hurt look on Clark’s face, he continued, "I need you inside me, tonight, love. I need to prove to you that I’m not afraid of you." Clark started to pull away. "What? Did you think I didn’t know? I could see it in your eyes, Clark. From the moment you told me, you’ve been terrified that I would push you away. That I would leave you. Well? Does it look like I’m going anywhere?"

"Are you sure, Lex? ‘Cause I can wait, if you’re not sure."

"I’m sure, Clark. I want you inside me."

"Well, okay, but I want you to control it."

"I don’t want to, Clark. That would defeat the purpose. If I’m in control, how can I show you I trust you to be in control? It’s not like we’ve never done this before. The only difference is that now I know and before I didn’t. You haven’t changed. Neither have I. And I want you inside me."

Clark’s eyes softened. Lex really did trust him. "Okay," he smiled shyly. "I’ll be in control. But you have to accept that control, Lex. You have to obey me. You can’t take it back until I give it back, okay?"

Lex nodded.

"But that won’t work!" Clark said in exasperation. "I need you to have an out, for my peace of mind, Lex."

"How about a safeword? If I want you to stop, I’ll say..."

"Stop?"

"No. That might interfere with our games. In this particular case, no, most definitely, does not mean no. How about..." Lex thought back to the night he rescued Clark from that cornfield. And the way Clark always seemed to get sick if he was near Lana’s necklace. "How about ‘meteor’?"

Clark’s eyes went wide. "That’ll get my attention, anyway."

"Why? Why does the meteor rock bother you,Clark?"

"I don’t know. But it makes me really sick. I can’t do the stuff I do if I’m anywhere near it. The only thing that seems to help is if it’s surrounded by lead. Like that box you gave me for Lana’s necklace."

Lex nodded. "I’ll see what I can do about collecting it, then. If I can dump it all in a lead-lined storage facility, you’ll be safe." Then he drew Clark in for a fierce kiss.

"Time to begin?"

"Yes, master," Lex said, tauntingly. Clark grinned.

He changed directions and used the lube to begin to open and stretch Lex’s opening. His fingers massaged the area around Lex’s anus ‘til the muscle began to relax, then he carefully slipped one finger inside. Lex whimpered, but it was in pleasure not pain. Clark slowly moved his finger in and out, gently stretching and massaging, pushing the lube deeper. When he brushed Lex’s prostate, his hips bucked. Clark added a second finger and continued. When Lex begged for more, he pulled out and Lex whimpered again, this time in frustration. Clark smiled and added more lube. He kept pushing more and more lube into Lex as deep as he could, finally adding a third finger. When Lex’s anus was as relaxed as possible and there was what Clark judged to be ‘enough’ lube inside him, Clark reached for his prostate and flicked his tongue across the head of Lex’s penis. Lex jumped, bucking hard against Clark’s fingers and crying out his name...

Clark pulled out abruptly. Lex moaned and whimpered.

"Put your hands above your head," Clark demanded. Lex obeyed. "Now...
I’m going to roll us over so you can ride me. But I’ll be the one doing the moving. You just let me handle everything. Okay?"

Lex smiled and sighed, "Yes, please."

A second later, Clark was on his back and Lex was impaled on his condom-covered shaft. Strong, sure hands guided his hips up and down, angling to hit his prostate. Lex let his hands roam slowly over Clark’s chest and arms. He leaned in to kiss Clark’s eyelids. Clark found a rhythm and kept it easily. All Lex had to do was relax and enjoy the sensations. It didn’t take long. Clark was too turned on by Lex’s trust. He grabbed Lex’s shaft in his hand and stroked him roughly (but gently) to completion. The contractions of his muscles pushed Clark over the edge and he came hard.

When the last of their tremors subsided, Clark pulled Lex to his side and wrapped his arms around him. Lex collapsed in Clark’s embrace and murmured, "Thank you. That was... wonderful, Clark."

"You’re welcome. And thank you, Lex, for trusting me."

Lex smiled as he snuggled into Clark’s arms and drifted off to sleep.

Chapter Three:

The next morning:

Clark made his way down the stairs to breakfast. His parents were waiting at the table.

"Good morning, son," Jonathan Kent said cheerfully. "How did you sleep?"

Clark smiled slightly. "Not too well, actually."

Jonathan set his coffee down and turned a questioning look on his son. Martha stopped pouring the orange juice and gave him the same look. Clark couldn’t help but grin. His parents love and concern was so much a part of his life, he had known exactly how they would react to his words. Pity he didn’t know how they would react to what he had to tell them next.

Jonathan and Martha relaxed a little at Clark’s grin. Whatever was bothering him, Clark, at least, was okay.

"Can I tell you about it after breakfast? I’m starved. And there’s no real hurry. I just need to talk to the two of you."

"Well, it’s Saturday morning, so I guess you picked the right day. At least you won’t be rushing off to school," Jonathan grinned back.

"Would you like some pancakes, Clark?" Martha asked sweetly.

"Yes, ma’am," he replied easily, offering his plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast, the family settled in for a "talk". Clark stood and paced. Jonathan and Martha exchanged a look. Whatever it was, it wasn’t easy for Clark to come to them with it.

Finally, Clark took a deep breath and started talking.

"I don’t know how to tell you this. I have no idea how you are going to react. I know how you feel in the abstract, but the reality is something else entirely."

"Clark," Martha began, "whatever it is, just remember we love you. Nothing could ever change that."

"Your mother’s right, son," Jonathan continued. "Whatever’s on your mind, we’re here for you."

Clark smiled, but his eyes were still worried. "You know how I feel about Lana. That hasn’t changed. Maybe it never will. But I’ve fallen in love with someone else." Jonathan and Martha glanced at each other, then turned back to Clark. He bit his lower lip. "Mom, Dad, this is the real thing. It’s not going to go away. It’s not going to change. If it was, I wouldn’t be telling you about it. But this is my life. This is the way it’s going to be from now on. I’ve made a commitment. I can’t break it. I won’t break it."

He stopped and looked at his parents. The worry and confusion on their faces saddened him, but he couldn’t soften it. He waited while they considered his words.

"Son," Jonathan finally began, "I guess you know we feel you’re too young to make that sort of commitment."

"But we can’t really know if that’s true, can we?" Martha asked, worried. "How can we know, for certain, what’s normal for you, Clark? Maybe it’s just the way you are. The same sense of certainty and responsibility that makes you such a strong person might be leading you to make life choices now, rather than later."

Jonathan frowned. "We didn’t teach you those things, Clark. You were born with them. We taught you right from wrong, but what you do with that knowledge comes from who and what you are, just as it does for anyone else. Maybe this is inborn, too." Jonathan paused. "Are you ready to continue, son?"

"Yes, sir," Clark was fighting back tears. Their ready acceptance was so moving. He had to continue; had to tell them. "The person I’ve fallen in love with... Well... It isn’t a girl." Clark waited, breathing faster.

Jonathan and Martha locked eyes for a long moment before turning back to Clark.

Jonathan spoke first, his words as carefully considered as ever. "All right, son," he said with a nod. Clark visibly relaxed. "Let me make sure we’re understanding you correctly. You are in love with and physically attracted to another man. But you also still feel love or at least affection and attraction for Lana, a woman. Have I got it so far?"

"Yes, sir," Clark nodded quickly.

"Alright. I suppose that means you’re bisexual."

"Yes, sir, I suppose so."

Martha had a worried look on her face. "Clark, I’m fairly certain you’ve never actually done anything... sexual... with Lana. What about this boy? Have you become lovers? Is that what you meant when you said you’d made the commitment?"

"No, Mom. That’s not what I meant. We have become lovers." Clark’s expression was very serious as he clarified. "But what I meant was I’ve trusted him with my secrets. I haven’t told him everything, yet, but I will. I need the two of you to accept him as a permanent part of my life." Clark’s eyes pleaded, "I need you to make him a part of this family."

Jonathan went cold inside. He knew. "It’s Lex, isn’t it, Clark? You’ve fallen in love with him and trusted him and..." he broke off, visions of Clark in a cage, the subject of experiments flooding his mind. "Oh, son? What if he doesn’t love you as much? What if he betrays you? What if all this was an elaborate seduction and all he wants is to use you?"

Clark put his arms around his father and hugged him tight. "It’s alright, Dad. It was an elaborate seduction. I planned it very carefully," he grinned and went back to pacing. "He would never have made a move on his own. He was careful to never let on that he was interested at all. In fact, anyone else would have missed the signs entirely, he hid them so well. But I have these advantages, you see. I could hear his heartrate increase whenever I walked into a room. I could see the nearly invisible changes in his skin that betrayed his arousal. Do you have any idea how much trouble Lex has gone to to help me with Lana? He would never have told me how he felt. So I had to encourage him." Clark laughed. "I flirted and he didn’t seem to notice. I took advantage of proximity to touch him whenever possible. He wrote it off to friendship. Finally, I had to be more... well... blunt. He was telling me his latest scheme to help me show Lana that I was the right man for her, instead of Whitney. I’d had enough. So... I kissed him. You should have seen the look on his face," Clark lit up the room with his smile. "And he still didn’t believe it. I had to do some awfully fast talking to convince him I was serious." Clark’s face grew solemn. "But I did convince him. We’ve been lovers for 4 months now. Last night... Last night I told him the truth about his wreck. I showed him how fast I can move. I promised to tell him the rest. He trusts me. He isn’t afraid of my strength. He understands that if I lost control - of my temper or my passion - I could easily kill him by accident. But he isn’t afraid of me." Clark smiled wistfully. "He’s afraid of you, Dad."

"Me?" Jonathan was startled.

"Yeah," Clark nodded. "He’s certain that you’ll never accept him. Either of you. That’s why I need you to. I need you welcome him and make him a part of our family. I know you don’t trust him. I’m asking you to trust me. Give him a chance to prove himself. He will, you know. He won’t betray me. He loves me. The problem is, love is something he doesn’t have much experience with. You’ve seen how his father is. He has tried so hard to win that man’s approval or even just his acceptance." Clark was fighting back tears as he described the emptiness of Lex’s home-life. "No one ever taught him to love. No one ever taught him right from wrong. He was taught winning is right and losing is wrong. Winners are loved and losers are despised. But the reality is, no one can win all the time. So he feels he can’t be worthy of love. That’s why our family is so precious to him. He sees the love. He’s seen that it’s unconditional and that blows him away. No one has ever loved him unconditionally before. But I do... I’m teaching him about love. Real love. He craves it. He’s desperate to believe I won’t give up on him - stop loving him."

Clark saw the dawning acceptance in his parents eyes and grinned. "So, what’s the verdict?" he quipped. "Can I keep him?"

Chapter Four:

One week later - Saturday morning

"This feels so good, you know," Lex said softly, "just lying here with you."

They were in his bed, the top of his hairless head tucked into the crook of Clark’s neck, their shoulders overlapping. Clark’s arm was wrapped around his waist and his fingers toyed idly along the line of Lex’s skin where the silk sheets were bunched up around them.

Clark’s other hand came up to brush Lex’s cheek, then tilted his chin up to meet his kiss. His hand slipped up to caress Lex’s head. The soft, smoothness of his scalp was a delight to Clark’s senses. His fingertips lovingly stroked every inch throughout the kiss. He continued his exploration as Lex lowered his face back into the crook of Clark’s neck.

"You like it, don’t you?"

"What?"

"No hair. No stubble."

"Does it bother you, Lex? Not having hair?"

"It used to, sometimes. Mostly when I was thinking about you. I wished I had hair for you to run your fingers through, like I wanted to run my fingers through yours... But it seems you enjoy the feel of my naked scalp. So now I realize it isn’t important."

Clark grinned. "I enjoy the feel of your naked anything."

Lex laughed. "So you do... The feeling is heartily reciprocated."

"I do enjoy the feel of your scalp against me," he smiled, "and I don’t breathe your hair this way."

"Too true. Sometimes it seems as though you’re trying to suffocate me," Lex said playfully. Clark tickled him. Lex shrieked in laughter and wriggled away.

"Who knew you were so ticklish!?" Clark teased. "Okay, I’ll stop. Come back here. I need to talk to you." He sat up, crossed his legs and waited for Lex.

"Time for more secrets?" Lex asked hopefully as he moved to sit, facing Clark, on the bed.

"Yes." Clark bowed his head as Lex settled himself.

"It’s because of me, Lex. I’m the reason you lost your hair."

"What? Clark, it was the meteor."

"I know."

Lex waited.

Clark took a deep breath and looked straight into Lex’s eyes. "It was no ordinary meteor, Lex. It was a spaceship." Clark looked away. "My spaceship."

Lex reached out and raised Clark’s eyes back to his own. "Spaceship?" Clark nodded. "You’re from another planet?" Lex’s brilliant mind was quickly absorbing and analyzing this new information.

"Yes," Clark admitted miserably.

"No wonder I’ve never met anyone like you before," Lex mused, smiling.

"You’re not angry?"

"Clark, you were just a little kid, weren’t you? You’re far too young to have been the one who launched that ship. And if the people of your home planet are anything like you, then I doubt they meant to cause any harm. You were probably sent here because you were in some sort of danger there."

"I think you’re right, Lex. I don’t remember, but I get these feelings. And I have this recurring dream of my birth parents. I see my mother crying as they place me in the ship. And I hear my father say - I don’t know - something. It must be in my native language. It seems to mean something like ‘be good, my son - make us proud,’ but I can’t be sure. I know they didn’t want to send me away."

"Well, if they had to send you away, they couldn’t have chosen better parents for you, could they?"

"Not if they searched the whole planet. Actually, I think they did search the whole planet. I think they chose the coordinates of my landing very carefully."

"Of course they did," Lex assured him. "You’re too great a treasure to trust to fate."

"Yeah? You’re prejudiced."

"So," Lex kissed him. "Were." Another kiss. "They."

Clark giggled. "You have a point."

"Of course I do. I have it on good authority that I’m brilliant, you know."

"There you go," Clark sighed. "Throwing my own words back in my face, once again," he said shaking his head.

"Remember that the next time you feel like giving me a compliment," Lex grinned.

"You haven’t been complimented enough, Lex." Clark smiled tenderly. "That’s going to change. You’re going to learn to believe me when I compliment you. I promise."

"And you always keep your promises," Lex whispered in adoration as he moved into Clark’s arm’s. "Here’s a beginning. I feel safe here. In your arms. It’s the only place I really do feel safe."

"You’’ll always be safe with me, Lex," Clark assured him quietly. "Think you’re ready to face my parents yet?"

"Are you kidding? It’s only been a week since you told them about us. I figure your dad, at least, needs a year or two to cool down. Your mom, though... she might get over it in a few months."

Clark laughed. "Will you relax? They’re okay with it. Really!"

"Sure, they are. As long as you’re the only one they have to deal with. I’m still shocked they’re letting you stay the weekend here at the castle. I half expected your father to show up last night, with a shotgun, and drag you out of here. Take me home for dinner and see what happens."

"Okay. I will. They’re expecting us at six."

"What?" Lex was panicked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lex fidgeted nervously as they drove the short distance to the Kent Farm. He let Clark drive. He considered himself too much of a basket case to be behind the wheel. He was dressed casually, in jeans and a nice button down. Clark had insisted on the jeans. Lex had insisted on the shirt. He wanted to look nice. While he wasn’t exactly meeting Clark’s parents for the first time, it was the first time he was meeting them as their son’s lover.

"Relax!" Clark ordered in exasperation. "They aren’t going to burn you at the stake. Promise! Besides, if they tried, I would stop them," he added with a grin.

"Gee, thanks, Clark. I feel ever so much better now."

"Lex," Clark said gently, "I don’t know what else I can say to help. I told you they’re willing to welcome you into the family. As far as they’re concerned, you already are a member of the family, Lex. You have been from the moment I chose you as my mate. They understand better than anyone that I’m different from other kids my age. They know that this is for life. They know that I love you. So they are willing to accept you. Just give them time to get to know the man I fell in love with. They’re going to love him, too..." Clark grinned mischievously. "Not in the same way, of course. At least, they’d better not!"

Lex laughed and his nervous tension faded to a manageable level.

Until they pulled to a stop in front of the house...

Chapter Five:

The moment the car came to a stop, Lex’s panic returned full force. He hid it carefully behind a mask of implacable control.

He didn’t fool Clark for a minute.

Clark walked around to Lex’s side of the car and opened the door. He knelt down and took Lex’s hands in his own. "Do you want to wait here while I go talk to them?"

"Absolutely not," Lex grated out his refusal.

"Not willing to show any weakness, huh?"

"Not to them," Lex said quietly. He pulled his hands out of Clark’s and took a ragged breath. "Let’s go," he said, his mask firmly back in place.

Clark smiled sadly and slipped his arm around Lex as they walked toward the house. Lex was stiff and unresponsive. He moved purposefully away from Clark’s embrace. Clark stopped dead still. "Lex," he called sharply. "Wait!" Lex stopped. But he didn’t turn around. His breathing was just a little too fast. Clark went to him and looked into his expressionless face. Lex stared straight ahead, not meeting Clark’s eyes. Clark made a snap decision. "Wait here, Lex," he ordered. "I’ll be right back." He turned and took a couple of steps toward the house, then stopped and turned back to Lex. "I mean it," he said, quietly determined. "Don’t move from that spot, Lex." There was a warning in his eyes.

Lex nodded sharply. He felt as though his entire body was wound to the breaking point. He tried, desperately, to regain his control. He closed his eyes and took slow measured breaths as he waited for his love, his mate, to return.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark entered the house alone, to the surprise of his parents.

"Where’s Lex, son?" Jonathan Kent asked. His mind was whirling with possibilities. Had the man broken Clark’s heart already? He found himself hoping, fervently, that that was not the case. Clark loved and trusted Lex. For that reason alone, Jonathan wanted to believe in him. To accept him.

"He’s outside, Dad." Clark’s expression was worried.

Jonathan quickly looked out the window and then let the curtain fall closed. "He’s standing halfway down the walk." He sounded exasperated.

"What’s wrong, Clark? Why didn’t he come in with you?" Martha asked, gently.

Clark sighed.

"He’s afraid of you," he told them. "He doesn’t believe you can just accept him now, because he’s my lover, when you could barely tolerate his presence before."

"Well... I don’t blame him. That would be a hard one for him to swallow, now, wouldn’t it? But from what you’ve told us, Clark, he’s a great deal more to you than a lover," Jonathan said firmly, gently. "He’s your mate. Your life-partner." He reached over and took his wife’s hand. "As far as we’re concerned, he’s our son-in-law. And that means he’s a part of this family. Of course we’ll accept him. And welcome him." Martha nodded in agreement.

"Maybe you could get him to the porch?" Martha asked hopefully. "Then your father and I could come out and talk with him and set his mind at ease."

"I’ll try, Mom," Clark said, "but it’s not going to be easy. Give me few minutes alone with him once we get to the porch, before you come out, okay, Dad?"

"Sure, son," Jonathan nodded in understanding.

Clark smiled gratefully and walked out the door.

Jonathan and Martha glanced at each other and quickly positioned themselves to eavesdrop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark took Lex’s hand and gently pulled him into his arms. "It’s going to be alright." He caressed Lex’s head and tilted his head to meet his lips in a tender, searing kiss. Lex melted into his arms as the kiss ended. Clark cradled him lovingly, waiting while he regained his composure.

Finally, Lex raised his head and looked into Clark’s eyes, his doubts and fears written on his face. Clark smiled, softly. Lex smiled back, but he couldn’t keep the tears from welling up in his eyes. "Are you sure?" he asked.

"I’m sure," Clark nodded.

Lex took a deep breath and nodded back. "Okay, then."

Clark led him up the walk to the porch. "Want to sit for a while?" Clark suggested. "They’ll give us a little time."

"Okay." Lex sounded very nervous and uncertain.

Clark led him to the padded bench swing and they sat. Clark pulled Lex back into his arms, encouraging him to draw comfort from his touch. Lex lay back into Clark’s embrace and closed his eyes. His breathing began to return to normal.

"Clark?"

"Yes?" Clark purred, nuzzling at his neck.

"I’m afraid."

"I know, sweetheart. I know," Clark assured him. "There’s no rush to get through the door, here. They’ll wait. They understand. Dad knows he hasn’t given you any reason to feel comfortable around him. And they both know that this unconditional love and acceptance thing is totally new to you. They have met your father, after all."

Lex smiled and let out a sad little laugh. "So they have... And he wasn’t even at his best."

Clark kissed Lex’s jaw and maneuvered them both back into a sitting position. He turned Lex to face him. "I want you to listen very carefully, Lex."

Lex locked eyes with Clark and nodded solemnly. "Alright."

Clark’s eyes glinted as he continued. "I love you," he said fiercely. "That will never change. You have my heart. Now and forever. My mom knows it. My dad knows it. Now I need for you to know it. To know it deep down in your very soul. I want you to be supremely confident in my love. To know beyond any doubt that it will never go away. It will never lessen or fade. I need you believe that I will always be yours and you will always be mine. That I will never leave you. You are my mate. My life partner. My lover. My love." Clark’s smile lit up the dark porch. "You’re just going to have to accept that you’re stuck with me, Mr. Luthor."

"Why, Mr. Kent... I do believe I can find a way to live with that," he smiled.

"Good. Because I need you, Lex. I need your smiles when I’m sad and your hand when I feel lost and alone. And your kisses. Let’s not forget your kisses. I really need those," Clark grinned then turned serious. "You’re my best friend, Lex. I felt closer to you than to anyone else even before I fell in love with you. You are, in some strange way, my other half. Funny, isn’t it? I find my soulmate on a planet I wasn’t even born on..."

"I don’t know,Clark... I just feel so damn lucky; no - blessed. I feel blessed. Like someone up there likes me or something. I’m not even sure if I believe in that sort of thing, but I do know that you are a precious gift. You need to be treasured and cherished. I promise to hold on tight, Clark. I never want to let go. And if at some point I lose my mind and walk out on you... Please! Chase me down and drag me back. Don’t ever let me leave, Clark. Promise me. Please..." he pleaded, his hands gripping Clark’s forearms fiercely. "Promise me."

Clark leaned over and kissed him sweetly, softly. "I promise, Lex. I promise."

Lex relaxed, finally allowing the tension to drain out, as Clark reached up and gently massaged his neck.

They sat in silence for several minutes before the door opened.

As the screen door creaked, Lex sat up straight. The mask was back in place. "Good evening, Mr. Kent, Mrs. Kent," Lex said formally.

"Don’t do that, Lex," Jonathan said, shaking his head sadly, his arm resting lightly on Martha’s shoulders.

Lex raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"A few minutes ago you were open and honest and genuine. Now you’re hiding." Jonathan smiled a little. "That just doesn’t work in this family, son. Oh, I know it isn’t what you’re used to, but that’ll change. It might take a few years... But you’re not going anywhere, so you’ve got time."

That’s right," Martha beamed at him, her arms folded over her chest as she leaned into her husband’s embrace. "As far as we’re concerned, you two are married." She nodded at his confused look. "That’s right. We consider you our son-in-law, now. You are as much a part of our family as you would be if it was legal for you two to marry each other."

Lex stared at his "in-laws" with a dumbstruck expression. His mind was whirling. "It is! We can!" he said suddenly. "There is one place in the world that has legal same sex marriages that this country has to recognize! The US has a treaty with them that requires our government to recognize all of their legal contracts - including marriage licenses."

Turning quickly to Clark, he slipped off the swing and onto one knee.

"Will you marry me, Clark?" he asked, wild hope glowing in his eyes.

A look of wonder drifted across Clark’s face, melting into a blinding smile filled with love. "Of course I will, Lex. Nothing would make me happier than to be your legal spouse." Tears threatened to spill.

Lex kissed him hard and fast. "Thank G-d!" he sighed.

Clark laughed, happily. Jonathan and Martha grinned.

"Is everyone ready to eat, now?" Martha asked, sniffling and brushing away her joyful tears.

Chapter Six:

The following Tuesday morning

Lex dropped Clark off at school and headed for Metropolis. He was armed with handwritten letters of consent from Clark and his parents. He was just glad that the previous day’s phone calls had been so productive. He would be able to meet with the Dorinari Ambassador at their Metropolis Embassy instead of having to travel all the way to Gotham City. And so quickly, too. He had thought it would take several weeks, at least, to get an appointment. And, surprisingly, the letters were all he needed to present in order to request visas.

Lex was a little nervous, of course, but that was only to be expected. He would never let them know it. He would walk into the meeting in complete control.

And they would give him what he wanted.

He was determined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, at the Dorinari Embassy

The ambassador was not surprised to learn that her appointment with Mr. Lex Luthor had drawn the attention of the Imperial House. They were deeply concerned about the lack of tolerance and acceptance of the citizens of the United States. What did surprise her was the fact that, not one, but several members of House Dorias were planning to make an appearance.

She checked the hall mirror one last time. She was very tall and willowy, yet she was not overly thin. Her long, dark hair fell in soft curls down around her slim hips. Her unlined face suggested youth. Her features were delicate, elfin, in appearance. Her sparkling eyes were emerald green. She was lovely.

Thankfully, she was not expected to wear American clothing unless she was leaving the embassy grounds. Dorinari clothing was generally loose-fitting and somewhat similar in style to that of medieval Europe. Her dress was a soft blue with long sleeves and a round neckline. It flared slightly at the hips and stopped just above her ankles. A loose, corded, bright yellow belt circled her waistline, front to back, and came back around to form a triangle and fall down the front. Over this she wore a matching translucent yellow, sleeveless, open-front robe of the same length. Her soft, leather ankle-boots were the same shade of yellow.

She would, at least, be comfortable.

It wasn’t that she wasn’t looking forward to their visit. She had met many members of the Imperial House over the course of her career and had been on very friendly terms with a few of them over the years, including the current crown prince.

She was however, very nervous. She supposed an American would feel this way if they were about to meet a group of their favorite movie stars in a personal setting. The way Americans saw their top entertainment celebrities was the way the Dorinari tended to see their Imperials and Royals. They were loved and respected. Unlike movie stars, though, they worked hard for that love and respect. Americans tended to look askew at any star who used their fame in a political manner, so their meaningful endeavors, outside of entertainment, were generally relegated to social issues.

House Dorias was required to delve into all aspects of Dorinari life. They were not allowed to hold themselves aloof and untouchable. Where Americans felt strongly about limited government and invasion of privacy, the Dorinari looked at their society more as a huge family, with the Imperial Monarch, a Queen at present, as the parental figure. Her duties required her to be intimately involved with her people. The Imperial and Royal house was, therefore, burdened with a great responsibility to the Dorinari people. They were the eyes and ears and hands of the Queen. It was their duty to care for the people on many levels. Most held positions of great responsibility within the government.

Those visiting today, however, were of the younger generation. They would not be required to take on assignments within the government for some years yet. The Dorinari believed the young should be able to enjoy life without too many restrictions on their time. Thus, they were free to delve into any matters that caught their attention. The young were prone to excessive enthusiasm but in the Dorinari culture, unlike the American, this was greatly encouraged. The glowing exuberance of youth could bring to light the greatest injustices and sorrowful situations that age tended to overlook. Youth noticed things and caused changes for the better. So, youthful input and investigations were cherished for the sake of the society as a whole.

Adjusting her robes one last time, she straightened her shoulders and stepped into the arrival chamber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lex nervously approached the embassy gate. The gate opened before he could press the call button. He stepped inside and started up the walk. The door opened wide allowing him entrance, but there was no one in evidence. He entered cautiously and jumped when the door closed behind him.

A handsome, well-built young man stepped into view. At six and a half feet, he towered over Lex. His eyes were the bright green of new leaves and his golden-blond hair fell nearly to his waist in soft waves and curls. He was dressed entirely in a brown so dark it was hard to be sure it wasn’t black. He wore a tailored linen suit that appeared to an Armani. His slacks creased lightly over matching, unstitched, matte leather, pointed-toe cowboy boots. Their thick riding heels made him appear even taller. His shirt was silk and open at the throat, revealing a carved onyx and emerald pendant on a flat, flexible, wide gold chain that fell just below his collarbones.

He smiled.

"Hello. My name is Jaedanar." He pronounced it [Jay-DAH-nar]. "You can call me Jaed."

"Jade?" Lex asked, startled.

"Yes, that’s right," he assured, still smiling. "Jaed. It’s spelled J-A-E-D."

"Alright," Lex said slowly, "Jaed."

"If you’ll come with me? The ambassador is waiting."

"Certainly."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador Talisa Dulanor sat quietly with her other two guests.

Her Imperial Highness Alandae was sprawled across a large, comfy, leather chair, her full dress, in varying shades of green, was very similar to the ambassador’s. She was very tall and slender and her curves were proportioned perfectly. Her dark slate-brown hair fell in gentle waves to just below her shoulder blades and her golden brown eyes had the look of warm milk chocolate. The shape of her face was caught somewhere between oval and heart-shaped. Her features were sharply defined and quite beautiful.

Her nephew, Nathan, resembled her so closely, his face seemed merely a masculine version of her own feminine features. He sat on the sofa against the wall with his guitar, strumming quietly. His hair, the same shade as his aunt’s, was cut traditionally - short in back, long on top and parted on the side. It fell forward, over his eyes, as he swayed with the music. He wore black cowboy boots, faded blue jeans and a silk poet’s shirt in periwinkle blue .

Talisa smiled contentedly as Nathan’s extraordinary voice rose softly in accompaniment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Jaed led him down the main hall, Lex was surprised to see the doorways were each guarded by two soldiers, seemingly in uniform. There wasn’t one, of either gender, under six feet. They all wore straight dark brown leather boots, with the same heels and pointed toes as Jaed’s, but, otherwise, their clothing was in a completely different style. It looked like something out of a pirate movie - or The Three Musketeers. Both genders wore dark brown breeches of skin-hugging, flexible leather that would easily move with them. Lex couldn’t tell where the breeches ended and the boots began. They wore fitted matching tunic-style vests and beige silk poet’s shirts. They looked like a romantic fantasy waiting to happen.

Lex tried not to stare as they passed. When they finally reached the end of the hall, Jaed nodded to the guards and the double doors began to open. The moment the doors cracked open, the most soothing music wafted out. Lex smiled at the beauty of it. Jaed just grinned as the doors opened wide and led Lex into the room.

The music stopped abruptly. Lex looked around, bewildered, until his eyes fell on the beautiful youth with the guitar. "That was you?"

The boy smiled and nodded slightly.

"Nathan," Jaed rolled his eyes, "Aunt Dae, Talisa," he continued, "may I introduce Lex Luthor? Lex, I’d like you meet my cousin, His Imperial Highness Nathan Dorias," Jaed said, raising an eyebrow. "His father, my uncle, is the Crown Prince of Dorinar." Nathan set his guitar aside and offered his hand. Lex shook it, with a confused look. "And this lovely lady, who looks like Nathan’s sister, is our aunt, Her Imperial Highness Alandae Dorias." She waved her fingers at him with a smile, but did not move from her lounging position. "And, of course, the esteemed Ambassador - Talisa Dulanor." She rose and bowed slightly in his direction.

"It’s a great honor to meet you all," Lex said politely, a little stunned by the appearance of royalty at this little meeting. "I must admit to a certain consternation. I was under the impression that this was a fairly routine matter, not requiring any special attention."

"It is," Nathan confirmed stilling up straight. "We were just interested."

"Do you have the letters, Lex?" the ambassador asked, politely.

"Yes, Ma’am," he replied, handing them to her.

"Please, sit." Talisa motioned him to the free chair.

Lex glanced at the princess, who nodded, before he sat.

"You’re of legal age?" Talisa asked gently.

"Yes, ma’am," Lex nodded. "I’m 22. You’ll find a copy of my birth certificate there, as well."

Talisa nodded as she looked through the papers. "And Clark?"

"He’s seventeen, now."

The ambassador nodded. "Have you told your father about this?"

Lex frowned. "No, I haven’t. And I don’t intend to. It’s none of his business. He has no interest in my life except as it relates to Luthor Corp."

Lex was startled to notice they were all looking at him with sad eyes.

Talisa smiled sympathetically and said, "I’ll just take a few minutes to read these letters."

Lex nodded and sat back in the plush leather chair, unsure of what to do next.

"Oh, by the way," Nathan distracted him, "I’d be willing to bet large sums of money that Jaed told you his name and nothing else. Am I right?"

Lex smiled. "Yes, you are."

Nathan grinned as Jaed groaned. "Jaed, here, is the son of His Imperial Highness Gelanar, my father’s younger brother. His title is a little more difficult to explain, though. He is technically a royal prince, but since he’s ineligible for the throne, his title in our language is a little different. It doesn’t really translate. The word ‘tiri’ translates as prince. An imperial prince is called ‘Ar-Tiri’ and a royal is ‘Tiri’. The difference in the two is generational. Only the immediate descendants in direct line are imperials. I’m an imperial prince because I’m the son of the crown prince. Aunt Dae, here, is also the child of a crown prince. However, her children, like Jaed, are royals." Lex nodded his understanding. "Jaed is different, however. His title is Kir-Tiri. It’s because he’s what we call Kyrin. That means he’s pretty much a warrior through and through. That’s why he can’t inherit the throne."

"You mean his career choice determines his eligibility?"

"Not exactly. He didn’t really choose his career. It chose him. He was born to be a warrior - a defender of the Empire. It’s a part of who he is."

Jaed nodded solemnly. "It’s true. I have to be a warrior. It’s built into my DNA. I can’t be anything else. I have, however, chosen to dedicate myself to keeping my cousin, here, safe."

"Alright," Lex said, considering. "Are you happy?"

"No," Jaed grinned. "He," he gave Nathan a little shove, "won’t let me kill anybody." He crossed his arms over his chest and managed a very passable sulk as he sank onto the sofa beside his cousin.

"I understand how you feel," Lex responded with a frown. "Clark won’t let me kill anybody, either," he said, breaking into a grin.

Nathan laughed. "In all matters, except those pertaining directly to my safety, I get to order Jaed around. He’s totally in charge if I’m in danger."

"It’s true," Jaed nodded his head in mock sorrow. "He outranks me." He grinned at Lex, "Pitiful, isn’t it? If we had our way, we’d make the world a better place by force. Unfortunately, history tells us that that never really works, so... I guess it’s a good thing there are people like Nathan and Clark around to remind us of that, huh?"

Lex tilted his head, pondering for a moment. "I suppose you’re correct." He gave a hint of a smile as he continued, "I just know I like who I am when I’m with Clark and I don’t much like who I would be without him."

Nathan and Jaed exchanged grins.

"I’m very glad to hear that!" Nathan softly told Lex, as their eyes met.

Alandae finally spoke. "You approve, then?" Both of her nephews nodded firmly. "Good," she rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Then let’s get on with this."

Talisa was busily stamping parchments with an official seal. Along with the documents Lex had given her, she placed the stamped documents carefully into a formal parchment envelope and sealed it with wax and the official Ambassadorial seal. She handed Lex duplicates on a strangely smooth paper he had never seen before. "Simply present this envelope to the Dorinari representative at the customs desk at the port in Gotham City and you and your party will be boarded immediately." She smiled as he took them. "You might want to give us a call the day before and let us know how many wedding guests will be accompanying you."

"Certainly," he smiled back, a bit bewildered by the concept of wedding guests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

END PART 6