Title: "You Had Me At Herro"

Author: PMD

e-mail:
mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Chlex, slight humor, Valentine's Day Fic, Lex's POV, futurefic, AU

Spoilers: Spoiler from Will and Grace

Summary: Chloe gives Lex the gift of unconditional love---from herself and a four-legged friend.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and it's characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me. To whomever owns Will and Grace and the characters and the use of the Irish Wedding Band, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: At BtS, TBT, SFF, SPP, Intrepid, Wwomb, Verbal Judo, Malu's site and my page on Wendy's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: Finally, I get to do a sort of crossover or at least a mention of another favorite show of mine---Will and Grace. The title came from something Will said in a recent eppy about Grace getting them both a puppy dog. I couldn't pass up on that line. I thus dedicate this to all involved in Will and Grace and to Jay, who loves dogs---all dogs. And to all the dog lovers on the list. A special thank you to David, for checking this---ahhhh--ahem---cough---puppy over, pardon the pun. <g> Enjoy.

Thanks to Kris and Crystal who said, post away sweetie. : ) And to all on the lists who sent me out information on the Irish Wedding Band and said, sure---run with it. Also a big thanks to the creators of Will and Grace for creating the eppy that this one is based on. One spoiler in the Smallville piece and it comes from another show---this is a first for me. <g> Enjoy, everybody. Prolific Peggy. PS: This is sallie-safe.

 

"You Had Me At Herro"
by PMD


"Okay, Chloe, ready for that---?" I stop talking as I look over at the couch, in the study. Where is she?

There's a loud thump, thump, from the couch as I move closer. What the hell? Where's Chloe? Could this be Chloe? After all this is Smallville---world of the weird welcome always.

"Chloe?" I ask, hesitantly. All I get is a thump, thump, once again.

"Chloe?" I ask, again, as I sit down. The occupant at the other end just pants and sits there, staring at me.

"Chloe!" I finally yell. The occupant shies away now. "Oh, I'm sorry, boy?"

"He's a she, Lex."

I look up at the level above. "Chloe!"

"You bellowed," she says, smiling as she walks down the stairs.

"Chloe--why is there a dog sitting on my expensive couch?"

"It's not a dog---it's a puppy."

"Semantics!" I reply, giving her a stern look. I look back at the puppy---she's inching closer. "What's she doing?"

"Getting close so you can see why she's here," she answers.

The puppy is close enough now that I can see a gift card hanging from her neck. I take it off and open up the envelope. Inside is a plain white card. I take it out and read:


You always wanted unconditional love, Lex. Well here it is---unconditional love that walks on four feet. As for the two-footed kind----

Love Chloe.



I want to smirk at this but instead I smile. Then I look at her, standing at the bottom of the stairs. She's smiling back. "You like?"

Before I can say anything, the puppy notices the change in my manner and takes full advantage of it by jumping on me and giving me doggy kisses. I hear a giggle from her direction and have to chuckle too. The pooch certainly knows how to express love---she could teach my father a thing or two.

Finally, she backs away and I pull her face close to me. "Don't worry, puppy. You had me at herro."

"You remember," she states, happily. I look over to see her closer to the couch.

"We just saw the episode last night---I've got pretty good short term memory," I reply, smiling.

"So, you weren't asleep when we were watching Will and Grace?"

"No---can't get enough of that show," I say.

"Neither can I," she says, at the couch now. "So, want some unconditional love from a two legged giver?"

"I would love a kiss from you, Chlo," I say.

The puppy senses we need our space and backs away, after a quick pat from her and me. Then she hands me a hanky.

"What's this for?"

"You think I want to kiss a man with doggy drool on him?"

"Oh---right." I take it from her, use it, and then throw it into the garbage can near by.

"Nice throw."

"I'm better at catching!"

"Prove it!"

"Jump on my lap and I'll prove it," I state, as I sit up.

She lets out a giggle and does just that, landing on my lap. We're about to kiss when our puppy companion makes another appearance, trying to kiss us both.

"Lilly---sit!" she commands.

She moves to the end of the couch and does just that. "Lilly?"

"Lex, I took the liberty of---"

"---naming her after my mother. Oh, Chlo, this is the best Valentines present I could ever get. I just----I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too, cue-ball," she says, before we finally share a kiss.

We back away and she looks at me. "I found it."

"Found what?"

"Your gift to me and the answer is yes."

"Oh--- you snooped around and found the little black box. And you tried it on, I take it."

She puts out her left hand and there it is---an Irish Wedding band, as her engagement ring. "Yes and it's a perfect fit. I love it, Lex, but not as much as I love you."

"Or I, you," I state, before our lips meet once again.

Over the years, Chloe had given me so much---her friendship, her help, her spirit, and her courage. Now, along with these, she's giving me something more precious than gold or jewels---her unconditional love---by accepting my ring. And something I never expected---unconditional love from another---our four-legged friend, Lilly---named after my mother.

The End.