Title: "Worthy of Love"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG

Category: Friendship, Slight hints of Chlex and Clana, angst, Clarks POV, Post episodic for Lineage,AU.

Spoilers: Lineage and several through year one and two.

Summary: Four people are worthy of love.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me. As to the use of Pandora's Box, to whomever owns it, I'm just borrowing, will give it back, not making any money with it's use in this story, so don't sue me

Archive: At SFF, TBT, Wwomb, Intrepid and on my page on Wendy's site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: I dedicate this to David---one of the best beta's around. And to my friend, Piper, whose there when I need to talk to somebody about a story idea, in the middle of the night. Enjoy everybody.

This came from me IMing with somebody and Chloe talking about her mother, who we now know---or at least assume, is alive. I want to thank David for giving me the name of the eppy and for the comments on this piece. : ) Okay, on with the show. Prolific Peggy.



"Worthy Of Love"
by PMD

"Hey guys," I say as I walk in. I sit beside Chloe.

"Hey Clark. How are you doing?" Lex asks.

"All right---now. What's going on?"

Chloe looks at me. "Clark, before I forget---I wanted to tell you that I've closed the books on your adoption. I think that you've found the parents worthy to love you. I just wish that---" She stops suddenly, looking at Lex.

"If you want me to leave, Sullivan, all you have to do is ask."

"No! I've been meaning to tell you this for a while---both of you. Actually, I already told Clark but---I think I'll ask Lana over too. May as well kill two birds with one stone."

I gesture to Lana and she walks over. "Hey Guys. Need a refill?"

"No we need your body," I say, blushing.

"All right."

"Clark, would you mind if I use the ladies room first?" Chloe asks.

"Sure---it's your party." I get out and she gets up and walks away.

"Maybe I should go with her?"

"That might be a good idea, Lana. Thanks."

"No problem."

We sit in silence for a minute until, "What's wrong, Lex?"

"What?"

"I've known you for a while. I know you're upset that I'm not your brother but there's something more. Who is your brother? Do you want to tell me? Do you know anything about him?"

"Clark---as much as I would have loved for you to be my brother, I'm also relieved you aren't. You're worthy of love and not the twisted, demented brand my father bandies around."

Before he can say more---the ladies are back. Lana sits beside me and Chloe sits beside Lex. "So, what's on your mind, Sullivan?"

She smiles at him and then looks back at me. I give her a smile of encouragement. "Okay, here goes nothing. I never told you guys this but---my mother's alive."

"Really?" Lana asks.

"Yes."

"But she doesn't--I mean she's never---"

"Yeah, I haven't seen her since I was 5. She just got up one morning and was gone---never to be heard of again---not even at Christmas. I guess at first----I thought I was unworthy of love---because she left me and dad. Now---well, my dad was great at raising me---but---I want to know if it was me or something else that made her leave us. Is that too much to ask for? Or am I right; I wasn't worthy of her love or anybody else's?"

"No, Chloe, it's not too much to ask for. I ask myself the same question every night; am I worthy of love with somebody?"

She turns to Lex. "Why?"

"You had a good father growing up---I never did, Chloe. His form of love lead me to being a troubled teen to a man I wonder if my mother would love, if she were alive. And the women I've chosen for myself, in the past, just leads me to believe I'm not worthy of love anymore."

"You should talk---how about the guys I've been with? One tries to freeze me to death and the other---tries to use his powers to finish the job. Sometimes I wonder if there is somebody who could love me and not try to kill me at the same time."

"I don't think you have far to look, Chloe," I say.

She looks at me curiously. Then I nod in his direction. She looks at Lex and then back to me. She shakes her head.

"What?" Lex asks.

"Nothing," I say, giving them both a smirk.

"Well, I've got some good news on the parental front," Lana says.

"We could use some good news right about now," I reply.

"Seems that my 'father' has agreed to try to find out if he is my father," she says.

"Pushy sometimes does help. Have you been taking lessons from Chloe?" I ask her.

"Clark!" Chloe states.

"What? You are the most pushy person I know."

"Look in the mirror someday, Farm Boy, and you'll see another," she states, with a smirk.

"Congratulations on finding the man, Lana. I'm glad that this Pandora's box had good and not bad news for you."

"Thanks, Lex. At least somebody has congratulated me. Well, I better go back to work---the Talon doesn't run by itself. Coffee's on the house guys. And I'll see you later, Clark."

"Yes you will," I answer giving her a peck on the cheek. She gets up and walks away and I look at two inquiring minds. "What?"

"Are you and Lana finally an item?" Chloe asks, smiling.

"No!"

"Hmmmm---seems to me that at least one person at this table is worthy of love, don't you think, Lex?"

"I do believe you're right, Chloe."

"I think you're wrong, Chloe," I reply. They look at me, curious once again.

"Continue, Clark," Lex says.

"I think we all are worthy of love. I've got my parents unwavering love; Lana has her aunts and a chance with somebody who might be her father; Chloe has her father's love and you, Lex---"

"Yes?"

"You have all of our love and acceptance---forget about your father---he'll only bring you heartache. And if you need to find the right woman---have I got one for you."

"And that would be---"

"The girl sitting beside you."

"Clark did you fall on your head today? Or is it me---I did fall on my head today---I don't think I heard you correctly."

"I said Chloe."

"Chloe? Chloe the reporter? Chloe the nuisance? Chloe the---"

"All right, I get the point, Lex. I won't say anything more. Well, I'm off. Talk to you guys tomorrow," I say, as I get up.

I walk outside and glance back to see them laughing and then him leaning over to give her a kiss on the lips. Ha---they thought they could fool me but I knew better. Lana and I aren't the only ones worthy of each other's love---both Lex and Chloe are worthy of love too---each others.

The End.