Title: For Walter - "Time"

Author: PMD

e-mail:
mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Friendship, Chlex, slight Clana, Songfic, futurefic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Any thing from the series is fair game.

Summary: Chloe deals with her last day at The Torch.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, and the song lyrics to Time, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in the story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, SPP, and BT2, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: I want to dedicate this, first and foremost, to a wonderful man and good friend, Walter. And to two other good male friends in my life---one who has seen me through my darkest days and encouraged my writing---and encourages me to go pro, someday---that would be Jay. And the other---David, who's helped me by being the fastest beta in the world and just being my friend. I also dedicate this to the two Kris' I know---one, who's my collaborator in Chlex and the other, a friend who shares my love for SSR. Enjoy, everybody.

 

Time
by PMD

"Honey, it's time to get up," I hear my father yell from downstairs

I groan once and look over at the clock. Yeah---time to get up---last day in high school---last day with my baby. With the joy of my life during high school---The Torch. Oh, I'm going to miss the deadlines, putting the paper to bed, bugging Pete and Clark about getting their articles in time---spell checking said articles---Lana's interesting flair on writing. I let out a quiet sob---the best days of my life were spent in that room. That room led to a lot more than wall of weird stuff---it led to something permanent---my love of newspaper reporting and something even more permanent---love.

I get out of bed as Lana looks in. "Up and at em, Chloe. School waits for no man or woman."

"Gee, Lana, you should have been a writer."

"Only one writer in this makeshift family and she better get dressed and downstairs in the next few minutes or she'll be late for school."

I give her a smirk and she just gives it back and leaves the room. I make my way to my washroom and get ready---not relishing saying goodbye to my baby.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sitting in front of the computer screen in The Torch. I turn around and look at the doorway---and remember the past.

I was about to enter the room when I heard two voices, both males. I knew that Pete wasn't in school at the moment---who was Clark talking to? What a surprise to find out it was my father's boss and he was there to see me. Okay, two surprises. Then he laid on the charm---which I was immune too. He offered me a job at the Inquisitor---which from the look in his eyes---was his way of showing me he had a sense of humor. He even shook my hand, complimenting me on my excellent way of thinking that not all the bad that happens in Smallville is attributed to the Luthor name. As I watched him walk out, I wondered---what did he want? Nothing as it turned out---well, for the moment. But I really think he wanted something that he didn't get much of----friendship. And he gained that from a few of us---but especially from me.

"Ms. Sullivan?"

I blink once and see Mr. Reynolds there.

"Hi, Principal Reynolds."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes---no---I don't know."

He walks in, as I turn around, to look at the screen again. "You're going to miss the excitement here, aren't you?"

He's beside me now. "Yes, I guess I am. But I'll still be around---just working on another newspaper."

"I heard about that. The Ledger is getting one fine cutting edge newspaper reporter."

I blush at his words and turn towards him, giving the man a smile. "Thanks."

"It's the truth," he states, giving me a pat on the hand. "So, what's the last article you're working on called?"

"I'm calling it Time. As in time passing us by so fast, in the last four years."

"I see. So, I'll leave you to it. I've got an appointment with Alexander."

"Oh---he didn't tell me he was coming here today."

"I think it was supposed to be a surprise. Sorry to ruin it."

"It's okay---wouldn't have been a surprise for long. I just seem to sense when he's nearby."

"His cologne?"

"No---his presence---his aura maybe?"

"Very psychic of you, Ms. Sullivan. Now back to work."

"Yes, sir," I reply, as he walks away.

I let out a sigh and look at the computer screen again. "Time---nice ring. Now what do I do?"

I find myself drawn away again, hearing music coming from nearby:


"Time, where did you go?
Why did you leave me here alone?
Wait, don't go so fast
I'm missing the moments as they pass"

When Clark found love with Lana, I felt like the time we spent together was gone forever. I felt like he, along with time, had left me alone---to myself. That things were going too fast---our friendship was ending. I made the stupidest mistake of my life because of it---working for Lionel Luthor.

"Now I've looked in the mirror
And the worlds getting clearer
So wait for me this time"

Then one day, I looked in the mirror and it wasn't the stupidest mistake that I had ever made now---it was the smartest. I had stopped thinking I was doing it out of anger. Now I was doing it to save a friend and his family. The world of why I was doing it had become clearer---I had a mission to fulfill.

"I'm down, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging for all your sympathy
But you (I'm just an illusion)
You don't seem to care (I wish that I could)
You humble people everywhere (I don't mean to hurt you)"

Lex came back and was angry that I seemed to be working for his father. I finally cornered him and begged for his sympathy. But he just didn't seem to care---like time---he turned emotionless about it---he humbled me. But finally I got through to him and he came to believe I was doing it for the greater good.

"Now I've looked in the mirror
And the worlds getting clearer
I'll take what you give me.
Please know that I'm learning
So wait for me this time"

He helped me---gave me advice, which I took willingly. I learned so much from him and the one important thing that he gave me was that I could do it---take point---and yet, if needed---he would be there to help. But only if I asked for it.

"I should've know better
I shouldn't have wasted those days
And afternoons and mornings
I threw them all away"

Along the way, I found out something---he was more than a friend to me---I was in love with him. When I think of all those wasted days, afternoons, mornings, mourning over the love I thought I had for Clark---the days I threw away, moaning and groaning about losing his love---when I never really had it. And now knowing that love was right in front of my eyes---verbal judo just hiding the fact---well, I could kick myself.

"Now this is my time
I'm going to make this moment mine.
(I shouldn't have wasted those days)"

Now was the time to act---this was my time---my time to find love. And I'm not going to waste any more time---any more days---without telling him.

"I'll take what you give me.
Please know that I'm learning
I've looked in the mirror
My world's getting clearer
So wait for me this time"

And I did---taking what he gave me---his love. And learning that I didn't have to work alone to protect my friends---he worked right beside me and we took care of that bastard father of his. Now, when I look in the mirror, I see a happy person---a person who is cherished by friends and a wonderful man. My world is crystal clear now. And he is certainly waiting for me, this time.

"Chloe?"

I turn around and smile. "Hi, Alex."

"Hi," he replies, walking in. "Are you okay?"

"No---I'm---"

He moves quickly, pulling me into his arms as I start to cry. "I know, you're going to miss this place."

I back away. "Why is it that you can read me so well?"

"Because I love you."

"Lex, you know why I'm going to miss this place so much?"

"Because of all the titillating articles written here?"

"No you goofball---because I met a wonderful man here once."

His eyebrow lifts in curiousity. "Oh---what happened to him?"

"He fell in love with me---the same time I fell in love with him."

He smiles at the response and then makes his way to my lips. Yes, indeed, Time has been bad for me---almost losing my heart to the wrong man. But to balance---time has been good to me too---leading me to a love---which is timeless and always will be.

The End.