Title: Birthday Fic For Hope - Sequel to 'Take A Chance' - "Cry"
Author: PMD

e-mail:
mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (for language and one suggestive suggestion)

Category: Chlex, slightly angsy, songfic, futurefic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game from season one and two.

Summary: They deal with the Smallville Devil once and for all.

Disclaimer: To Whomever owns Smallville and the characters, the characters from Batman, and the song lyrics to Cry, found within the story and as the title to the story, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in the story, so don't sue me

Archive: To SPP, BT2, BtS, Malu and Sabby's sites. If anybody else wants it, all you have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

WARNING: Dealing with the Smallville Devil isn't always clean and is sometimes---ewwwwy. You have been warned.

Author Notes: Happy Belated Birthday, Hope. This is dedicated to you, first and foremost. Also, thanks to a couple of friends who looked over certain parts of this story. And to my human muses---Kat and Imp---who keep me laughing when I am down. Hope you guys like this. And to David, who inspired me to write Clana, as I hope I inspired him to write Chlex. Enjoy everybody.


Cry
by PMD

I slowly return to the living, after a deep, exhausted, wonderful sleep in the arms of the man I finally admitted I loved.

Two nights ago he'd told me not all the good men were taken and had kissed me. I told him to back off, nicely of course. I was so unsure of things---our ages, him being my father's boss, our track records in romance. And the fact that I worked for his father once upon a dreary time.

But in the middle of the night, I turned on the radio and the song that was on really hit me. Damn it---I won't let Lionel or anybody stop me from having a relationship with anybody. And miraculously, he never mentioned that last stumbling block last night. So, if Lex is willing to forget my indiscretions, I'm willing to do that too.

I take a deep breath and let out a sigh. I don't want to open my eyes, in case this is a dream. A dream where we took the next step; where we became one and hit the highest peaks, screaming out each other's name. Where he admitted that he loved me more than life itself and I did the same. Where he cried---the emotions coming from this one act causing him to finally let it all out. And I joined him, our tears mingling, as our bodies did a few minutes before.

A knock on the door causes my eyes to open. I look over at his side and it's empty. "Lex?"

Another knock is heard and I get up, taking the robe he graciously put out for me. I walk over. "Who's there?"

"It's me, Ms. Chloe."

I open the door and Jeffrey walks in. "Where's Lex?"

"He's downstairs right now. He'll be back in a while and asked if you would mind waiting up here for him. Oh and he wanted me to give you these to change into since your other clothes need to be---repaired." he states, with a non-pussed face.

I giggle at that. "Yeah, he was a real eager beaver last night."

He chuckles at that and then turns serious. "Ms. Chloe?"

"Yes?" I query, as I look at the clothes he's handed me.

"You bring him to life---don't hurt him."

I stare at the man who's more than an employee to the man---he's like Alfred to his Bruce. I place the clothes down on a chair and place a hand in his. "I swear I will never hurt him, Jeffrey. I love him and I will protect him with every fiber of my being."

He squeezes my hand. "I just had to make sure. I'm sorry I doubted you, even for a milli-second."

"It's okay---after all, I'm a skeptic too, when it comes to important things. Now---who is he talking to downstairs?"

"I can't tell you."

"Oh?"

"I can't tell you but you can guess?"

"Oh? Okay---let's see, I would be allowed to see Clark and Lana. Pete doesn't come visiting that often. And my dad knows where I am and gave me or us his blessing. That leaves only---the only person he wouldn't want me to see---Lionel!"

He nods his head. I turn around and grab the clothes. "Do not tell him I'm coming down!"

"I won't---and thanks for going down there---even though---"

"---he doesn't want me near him. Any time," I state, as I close the door.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I make my way to the study, hearing nothing from within. Oh My God---he's killed his father! Well, if he has, I'll help him bury the body. I smile at that thought--Lionel---dead---not able to hurt anybody ever again. And this is bad because---oh yeah, Lex would be considered evil because he killed his own father. Okay, better go in and say I did it. I walk into the room.

"Lex?"

The chair swivels around and I let out a strangled sigh. Just my luck---the devil of Smallville is in front of me. "Well, hello, Ms. Sullivan."

I give him my best evil eye stare, hoping this look will kill him. Nothing.

"Cat got your tongue?"

I just stare at him, wishing with all my might he would just disappear into nothingness.

"It's very rude not to answer a person."

"Oh, it is---but you're not a person---you're the devil in disguise!" I state.

"Even the devil gets his due and his respect," he replies, getting out of the chair. "And I thought we became such good friends while you were working with me."

"Delusional devil are you, Mr. Luthor. And the devil gets his due and respect if he earns it."

"Spunky and sassy as ever, Ms. Sullivan. I should have bedded you when I had the chance," he replies, coming ever closer to me.

"One word, Mr. Luthor---ewwwwww! I have way better taste in men to bed, as your son can attest too."

He's beside me now and I stand my ground, staring into his amused eyes. "Don't worry, I wouldn't have bedded you---you're not my type."

"Oh, too much woman for you, am I?" I ask, with a glint of stubbornness.

"No---too talkative---I like my women quiet," he retorts, moving away from me. "I bet my son didn't get a word in edgewise last night."

"Chloe?"

I turn to see Lex standing there. I sense he's a little unsure of how I'm doing with his father but I just give him a slight smirk and he knows I'm holding my own.

"So, practicing your verbal judo on the witless wonder of the Luthor Clan?" he asks, with an equal smirk.

"Yes, and I think I'm winning."

"That'll be the day," his father retorts. "So, are you ready to talk, Alexander?"

"Chloe--could you---?"

"No! I'm staying right here."

"Stubborn woman!" his father states.

"Yes, but that's one of her best qualities---that and great endurance in all things," Lex responds, coming towards me. He leans down. "Please, could you leave?"

I lean up and whisper. "Since you asked so nicely, I will. Besides, I need to wash myself after talking to your father."

I back away and see a smile meant only for me. He leans forward and gives me a chaste kiss. After the kiss, I make my way to the door but not before he slaps me on my butt. I let out a yelp and vow to get back at him the next time I see him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey keeps me company in the dining room. Both of us cringe as we hear the war going on in the study.

"Are you okay, Ms. Chloe?"

"Yes, I'm fine," I lie.

"It takes a bit of getting used too."

"What?"

"The war between father and son."

I nod. "Yes, I wish that it would stop though. Just wish that Lionel would let him go."

"I do too. Well, Master Lex is doing pretty well, letting him go. He's a very strong man and I'm proud to be of some help to him."

I smile at the genuine affection heard in those words. "He's lucky to have you, Jeffrey."

"I'm lucky to know such a fine man. He's fought against his father all his life and I think today might be the final battle."

"I hope so," I state, cringing again at the words being screamed out. Then there's silence. "You don't suppose---" Before I can finish we hear a door open and somebody walking out of the room, in anger. We hear the front door slam and then silence. "It's over!"

He gets up, offering me his hand. "Shall we go pick up the pieces?"

"No---we'll go celebrate with the man," I reply, as we walk out of the room.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey knocks on the door. "Go away!"

"Lex, it's us!" I reply.

"Leave me along!."

"No---we're coming in."

"No!"

"Yes!" I state, as Jeffrey opens the door.

We see a man sitting on the leather couch---he's upset---beyond upset. "Jeffrey---"

"I'll go make some coffee, Ms. Chloe. Sir, it'll be okay." He makes his way out of the study and I walk over to stand before Lex.

"Chloe---please go."

"No!"

He looks up at me. "You are one stubborn woman."

"Yes, and that's what you like about me, remember?"

"Not at the moment. Chloe---can you just leave me alone for a while."

"I could but is that what you need. Think before you answer that, Luthor."

He gives me a slight smile through the sadness on his face. "No, don't go, Chloe."

I sit beside him and put an arm around his. "You know, I remember that look on your face. I saw it before."

"Oh? When?"

"I was in Metro when your father and Mrs. Kent was taken hostage. I remember seeing you with a similar look, after your father rejected you. You were looking up at a dark sky and it reminded me so much of me, when I was a little girl. When my mother left me and my dad," I reply, with a slight tremor in my voice.

He looks at me. "Why didn't you come over?"

"Well, we weren't really friends back then. In fact, I resented all the time you spent with Clark. But that night, it changed for me. I wanted to go over and hold you but I had this feeling you would have just closed off and told me to leave. But I'm glad you didn't now---because I want to help you get along---get by---without your father. To show you, you do have family that you can trust---friends you can trust---somebody who loves you so much, she would lay down her life for you."

"Lana?" he asks, trying to lighten the mood.

"Lex, you really should have Pete teach you to have a sense of humor---that was a real groaner."

He chuckles at that and I join him.

"Coffee anybody?"

We turn to see Jeffrey standing there. "Thank you, Jeffrey."

"Anytime, sir. So, shall I pour?"

"Yes, and pour three cups. I want to tell you too what happened tonight."

"I would be proud to join you in a cup of Java."

I smile at the comfortable tones between the two. Lex, you might not have far to look for a father figure, if you ever need one. Then I start humming a song I had sung that night of the hostage taking---the words flowing through my mind.

"Sweetheart?"

I turn to look at him---the face much happier than when we came in. No anger in his eyes, only love for myself, himself and a butler who could be more than that to him now.

"What?"

"What were you humming? It sounds familiar?"

"Just a little song I sang on the way home that night of the hostage taking. It reminds me of you, even now."

Then I start to sing:

"I'll always remember
It was late afternoon
It lasted forever
And ended too soon
You were all by yourself
Staring up at a dark gray sky
I was changed

In places no one would find
All your feelings so deep inside (deep inside)
It was then that I realized
That forever was in your eyes
The moment I saw you cry"

He backs away and pulls me in for a sweet kiss. Now begins the healing to get over all the bullshit Lionel put him through. And he will heal, if Jeffrey, his friends and I, have anything to say about it.

I notice it's started as he backs away and talks about how his father and he have finally cut all ties, business or otherwise. He still doesn't trust him to hold his end of the bargain, will probably always be vigilant for the rest of his life, but he doesn't have to do it alone anymore. After all, if there is one thing we Sullivans do well, it's standing up for those we love. We are lions, when it comes to protecting family---and for the rest of his life---Lex is family. And somebody I will always love---from the moment I spied his sad face and saw him cry.



The End.