Title: A Fic For Malu - "Take A Chance"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (for slightly suggestive situations)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Touch of Clana, Futurefic, Songfic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game from season one and two.

Summary: Love is taking a chance with your heart.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, and the lyrics to Take A Chance within the story and as the story title, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use, so don't sue me.

Archive: To SPP, BT2, BtS, Sabby and Malu's site. If anybody else wants them, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to a dear friend, Malu. I also dedicate this to Kat and Imp for helping me iron out this idea. Enjoy everybody.

Take A Chance

By PMD

Outside The Sullivan House

I knock and hear, 'I'll get it' through the door.

The door opens and she's standing there. "What are you doing here?"

"Nice to see you too, Ms. Sullivan," I state. I stare at her. She looks different---like the Clark monkey is off her back. "So, are you going to let me in?"

"Why?"

"Because it's hard to get the files from your dad unless he's in front of me. And I believe he's in his home office---which is not out here."

"Oh. Okay, come on in. Let me get him for you. DADDY, LEX IS HERE!" she screams out.

"If I ever lose my bull horn, I'll have to ask you to tell people to be quiet at meetings," I state, the words still ringing in my ears.

She grins. "I don't know; can you afford me?"

"An interview and you'll be putty in my hands, Sullivan."

She snickers at that. "Maybe more than an interview will be needed to obtain my services, Mr. Luthor."

I lean over and whisper, "Oh, and what might that be? A night of---"

"Hey, Lex."

I back away to see my best friend standing there with Lana. "Hey, Clark."

I look back at her and I know it's over for her. She's come to grips with Clark and Lana being a couple---in fact she's smiling. I place a hand on her arm. "Chloe---your father?"

"Oh, right. I'll just go get him for you. Want to wait in the kitchen or join Clark and Lana?"

"Kitchen is fine. See you guys later."

"Later, Lex," they both state, going back into the living room, lost in each other.

Like I want to sit there, watching as they make goggley eyes at each other, I think, as I enter the kitchen. A few minutes later, she is back.

"Where's your father?"

"He's coming in a bit--just has to print out some things for you. You want a coffee while you wait?"

"Sure."

She walks around the room, getting the coffee, sugar, milk and cups to put it in, very effectively. "I think I should hire you to work at the Talon?"

"No thank you. I drink coffee, I don't serve it. Oh, nothing against people who do---it's just that I might break more cups than serve them."

"Right---so, should I be worried about you serving me now?"

"Nawww---I like you," she states, with a grin. She comes over and gives me my coffee.

"Chloe?" I ask, after I try it out.

"What?" she questions, as she sits across from me.

"I take it you've come to grips with Clark never being a boyfriend."

She looks at me, surprise on her face. "How'd you know that, Lex?"

"Just a wild guess and the look on your face when you saw them together." What, I'm going to say that I feel this link with her---that maybe it might be there because I might have feelings for her. She'd laugh me out of the room.

"Well, you would be right. You know, as happy as this makes me to get that Clark monkey off my back, I'm sad too."

"Why?"

"Because now I---Lex, all the good ones are taken. I mean, I get the real idiots asking me out. Like last night, this guy actually made me pay for myself at dinner because I wouldn't sleep with him. You know what I did to him?"

"You threw your wine at him?"

"Okay, this is getting way to weird for even me. Have you been spying on me?"

I place my hand over hers. "No---just the basic reaction a woman has when she's propositioned."

She smiles and then frowns. "Oh, it's happened to you?"

"No, I never proposition---I ask nicely. And I never let the woman pay, no matter what."

"Ahhhh---the last of a dying breed---a true gentleman. Nice to know they're still out there. Wish I could find one."

I move off the chair and lean over towards her. "Maybe you don't have to look too far, Chloe," I state, before I give her a slight kiss on the lips.

I back away and see a stunned look on her face. "Lex---I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Can I think on it?"

"I've got all the time in the world---I'll see you when I see you," I shrug, getting up and starting towards the door. Then I turn. "Chloe---we're okay, right?"

She smiles. "Yes, we're all right. I'll see you later, alligator."

"In a while, crocodile."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Next Night - Luthor Castle

Maybe she's right? Maybe this isn't such a good idea? After all, there are a lot of obstacles to get over and---

My thoughts are stopped by my manservant coming in. "Mr. Luthor---there's a young lady outside who wants to talk to you."

"Thanks, Jeffrey. Let her in."

"She wants to talk to you outside. Something about bugs. I told her we clean the mansion very well but I believe she was talking about the electronic kind."

I smile at that. "Sir?"

"Yes, Jeffrey?"

"Don't let this one get away. I think the only time you genuinely smile is when she's around."

"I won't," I state, walking towards him. "Thanks, Jeffrey and---"

"---would I make sure the bed is turned down---yes, sir," he replies.

Man, can everybody read my mind, I think, as I walk towards the front door. I open it and she's standing at the bottom of the steps.

"How may I help you, Ms. Sullivan?"

"I want to take a chance at a relationship with you, Lex."

"I don't know---there are a few obstacles to over come," I say, walking towards her.

"What obstacles?" she asks, as she takes the first step.

"Well, for one thing---I'm older than you."

"Well, I've heard that some woman are more mature than men their own age so I would say we're the same age right now."

"Okay---what about the fact that I'm your father's boss," I state, as I move closer to the edge of the landing.

She takes another step as she says, "Well, what's the difference between going out with the boss' daughter or going out with the workers daughter?"

I smile at that. "Okay, what about my track record with women?" I ask, as I'm at the top of the landing and she's just one step below it.

She pushes me slightly and then is on the landing. "Well, seems to me we're in the same boat with that, Lex. After all, I certainly don't have a stellar track record with men. And I think I know why we both had such terrible luck?"

"Why?"

"Because, we purposely picked people we never wanted to be with---just in case we ever got the guts to be with the one we wanted to be with."

I touch her cheek, caressing it with my thumb. "And you're ready now?"

"As ready as I'll ever be to take a chance, with you," she states, leaning up and kissing me gently with her soft lips. God, I love this woman so much.

We back away and I ask the question I seem to fear but need to know. "What changed your mind?"

"Oh---well, see, I turned on the radio in the middle of the night and this song came on. Want to hear it?"

"I---let's take this inside, shall we?"

"You've got a DVD in your bedroom, I hope?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," I state, sweeping her up in my arms.

She kisses me again, her tongue gently caressing my lips. I walk towards the door, surprised I can keep my wits about me, and knock on it. She backs away, a seductive smile on her face.

The door opens and Jeffrey is there. He moves aside and I walk in. I make my way up the stairs and into my bedroom, dumping her on the bed.

She giggles at that. "What?"

"I never thought I would like possessive, take charge men but you know, I could get used to this."

"Take charge I'll take---possessive---Chloe I---"

"It's okay---I know you'll never be overly possessive---just enough that you want to be there for me, if I need you to be. That's what I love about you, Lex."

I sit on the bed, taking her back into my arms and kissing her breathless. We back away. "I could get used to this too. So, guess we'll forget about dinner and go straight to dessert?"

"Chloe!"

"What?"

"I never thought of you as being such a---"

"--seductress? Hey, you ain't seen nothing yet, Sweetie! Oh, maybe before the main event, we should listen to the song that changed our lives forever."

"Anticipation is half the fun," I state, thinking about what a joy it will be to making love with a woman, finally.

She moves away from me and makes her way to the floor, to pick up her purse. She goes into it and brings out the CD. She moves to the player and the soft music fills the air. She comes back and we lie on the bed, snuggling, listening to the lyrics:

"Could it be we're the perfect pair?

Have it all if we'd only dare

I have dreamed of a night like this

Maybe you will end my loneliness

Meeting you was a dangerous thing

Can't control what is happening

Stood my ground, didn't run away

Trying hard to hide that I'm so afraid

Take a chance, take a chance

Shall I take another chance on love?

Take a chance, take a chance

Shall I take another chance on love?

When it feels so right

That I'm safe and warm inside

Take a chance and fall tonight

Guess my heart's on the borderline

Couldn't stand it not to work this time

It's hard to fight when it feels so good

If there's something, don't you think that we should

Take a chance, take a chance

Shall I take another chance on love?

Take a chance, take a chance

Shall I take another chance on love?

When it feels so right

That I'm safe and warm inside

Take a chance and fall tonight"

I reach over to the night table and pick up the remote to the CD player. She gives me an eye roll and then a sigh.

"You couldn't have told me about that."

"Chloe, I can't remotely put in the CD---a person has to do that. However---" I push the remote and it stops the CD player. Then I push another button and the lights dim. I put the remote away and I feel her lean up against my back, her arms surrounding me.

"Perfect song?" she asks.

"It seems to be," I state, pulling her arms away and turning around. "Chloe, are you sure?"

"For the first time I am sure of something in my life. The song just reminded me that I should listen to my heart and not my head. So, shall we take this chance and see where it leads us."

"Yes, we shall," I state, leaning down and capturing her lips.

For the first time in my life, I'm putting everything on a sure thing. And I know, when the morning comes, this taking a chance on love will pay off in many years of happiness and love.

END