Title: State of Mind

Authors: Creed Cascade and T.J.

Fandom: Smallville

Pairing: Clark/Lex

Rating: NC-17

Status: new

Archive: If you want it, go ahead. Just knock one of us upside the head and let us know.

Feedback: TazzyJan@aol.com and creed_cascade@hotmail.com

Other websites: http://www.angelfire.com/weird/openairinsaneasylum/index1.htm

Notes: This work is a collaboration between Creed and T.J. who seem to equally share twisted, demented minds. Please note, that // indicates thoughts. // You will love this story. // Oops, did I think that? We originally set this series about a year after the pilot so we've done some playing with the time line. Specifically the time line involving Victoria. Sequel to "Meeting of the Minds" and "Mind Games".

Summary: Lex and Clark both have some fast growing up to do.



STATE OF MIND
Written By Creed Cascade and T.J.

The trip from the Luthor castle to the Kent farm usually didn't take very long. Except this seemed like the longest the journey ever to the occupants of the truck. Lex had managed to make it about four miles from the estate before the colour from his face drained completely and he started to wretch.

"Dad, pull over. Now!" Clark yelled from the back of the truck. The brakes squealed as Jonathan quickly swerved over to the side of the road. Clark didn't hesitate. He grabbed his lover and helped him lean over the side as he violently expelled the contents of his stomach.

Jonathan whispered to Martha, "Drive the rest of the way, honey. I'll hop in back with the boys."

Martha nodded as Jonathan slid out of the truck and walked to where Lex was leaning over the side. "Easy, son. It's gonna be okay," he said, rubbing the young man's back soothingly.

"He was going to... going to cut my balls off," Lex managed to croak out in horror, still in shock from the events of only minutes ago.

"I know," Jonathan said, knowing no way to sugarcoat what Lionel had been about to do. He pushed Lex back and climbed up, settling in on the other side of him. Clark still had his arms around him and he patted his son's arm, offering what support he could.

"How safe are we, Dad?" Clark asked, ready to take Lex and run if he had to.

"Safe enough for now," Jonathan replied. "Even Lionel's not delusional enough to cross me in this. Besides, he uh, said he's disinheriting Lex. I don't think he'll try to come for him. But if he does try, son, you take Lex and you get him out of here. You understand? Don't worry about your mother and me. We can take care of ourselves. You just worry about you and Lex."

"If it comes that," Lex cut in with a shaky voice, "I'd rather give myself up than see you hurt."

"You forget, if he hurts you, he hurts Clark," Jonathan reminded him. "And I'll see him dead before I let him hurt my family."

"Family..." Lex echoed. "He said I was disinherited... that only means he's disowned me."

"As opposed to what?" Jonathan asked. He saw Lex start to shiver even with his jacket and Clark's arms around him and leaned closer to the young man. This boy was his responsibility now whether he liked it or not. Lionel Luthor may not know what it means to be a good father but he did and he was determined to show Lex what that meant, too.

"He can take away my shares in LuthorCorp..." Lex mumbled. "But he can't take away what my mother gave me."

"Will that leave you able to... maintain yourself?" Jonathan asked, choosing his words carefully. Lex's finances were really none of his business but he was concerned.

"It makes me a mere millionaire," Lex snorted. "But I was thinking more about my memories of her and the pride she instilled in me. He may have sired me, but he was never my Dad."

"She'll always be with you, Lex," Clark said, tightening his arms and laying his head down on Lex's shoulder. "And you've got us now. I know it's not the same but it's enough, isn't it?"

"More than anything I ever really had," Lex answered, clutching Clark tightly.

They pulled into the yard and Jonathan quickly jumped from the truck and opened the tailgate. Normally the boys would just jump over the side, but he didn't think Lex was up to that tonight. As it was, he had to grab the young man when he climbed down to keep him on his feet.

"Well you let me stay with Clark tonight?" Lex asked in a weak voice. He wasn't above begging now to be with Clark.

"Yes," Jonathan said simply. "We can talk about more permanent arrangements in the morning." There was no way in hell he was letting Lex out of his sight any time soon. Lex, however, wasn't up to discussing this tonight. They could talk it all out in the morning, once everyone had gotten a good night's sleep. It was a good thing Clark was such a good student. It looked like he'd be missing school for a few days again.

"C'mon, Lex. You're home now," Clark said and dragged Lex off to his room. He knew his parents had a lot to talk about and he just wanted to get Lex alone so they could escape into the bond.

"Clark, give him a hand up the stairs," Jonathan cautioned. "He's still pretty shook up, son. You're mother and I, uh, we won't disturb you tonight, so... you don't have to worry."

"Uh huh," Clark answered distractedly. He hadn't really been listening to his father. He was too busy repeating soothing phrases over and over to Lex through the bond. He knew he could take away Lex's physical pain, but now he was searching the depths of the bond for a way to take away Lex's mental anguish.

"I'm okay, Clark," Lex tried to assure him. "I'm just shook up, that's all."

// Alone. // Clark managed to say through the bond. He pretty much carried Lex up the stairs before he could protest any further. Clark was sinking further into the bond than he ever had.

// Alone is good. // Lex let Clark carry him upstairs, away from the worried eyes of his parents. He sighed when his lover set him carefully on the bed then knelt down and began to undress him. Clark was being so careful with him, as if he thought Lex might break if he was handled too roughly.

// You might. // Clark said. Satisfied that Lex was naked, he began to strip himself.

// No. Crack maybe, but never break. I would never give him that much power over me. Besides, how could I break with you holding me together? //

// That's my job, now shush. // Clark said, with a very serious look on his face. He lay down on the bed and laid his head on Lex's chest closing his eyes to concentrate.

// I was so scared... I thought he was going to kill me. I didn't even care if he cut my balls off, as long as he didn't kill me. I didn't want to leave you... //

Clark saw an image starting to form in his head. It was Lionel prowling towards him... no wait, the angle wasn't right... he must be seeing it from Lex's eyes. He was sharing Lex's memories of the encounter. He felt Lex's fear and even oxygen depravation as Lionel got him... no, Lex... and started to squeeze his... their... throat.

"Oh God," they moaned together as they both experienced the horrible attack. Clark could feel Lex's fear like it was his own as Lionel choked the life from his own son while at the same time trying to geld him.

And then Clark shared Lex's relief at seeing Jonathan and knew for the first time since his father had beaten Lex, that he'd be able to forgive him. Seeing his father defend Lex through his lover's eyes said more than any apology ever could.

Lex relived that moment with Clark. He'd felt nothing but relief at seeing the elder Kent. Even when Lionel had suggested that he was there to finish what he'd started, Lex had known it wasn't true. He'd trusted Jonathan in that moment and that trust had not been misplaced.

The rest of the encounter flashed in their minds as the bond drug it up with two people reliving it as one. It stopped only when Lex had made it safely back into Clark's arms.

"Satisfied now?" Lex asked, trying to smile a bit to take the sting out of the words. He understood Clark's need to know what had happened, he just wished his lover would ask sometimes before delving head first into his psyche.

"Very, thank you," Clark shot back. "It's as close as I can get to taking away that kind of pain for you. I tried, but that's as close as the bond can go."

"Good," Lex said. "I don't want you taking that kind of pain into yourself. It's bad enough I had to live through that. It's my pain, Clark. You have to let me deal with it my way."

"But I can help," Clark protested.

"You do help," Lex told him. "You're helping right now. But you have to let me do some things on my own. If not... I won't be me anymore."

"I don't understand, Lex," Clark sighed, settling against his lover, trying to hide against his insecurities now. He only wanted to help is lover. He needed to be strong for that. "I... I don't want to change you."

"I know you don't," Lex relented. "And I love you for wanting to make everything better for me. But... you've got to let me deal with some things on my own. Be there for me, by all means. Be the rock I can lean on, like always. But let me deal with it in my own way. Can you do that much for me? If you can't, Clark, say so. I'll deal."

"I can do anything for you," Clark answered immediately. "I promised I wouldn't take advantage of you anymore. Don't think I forgot that promise. I know I've manipulated you in the past. I'm going to let you take the lead in the relationship from now on, Lex."

"Clark, that's not necessary," Lex said. "You have not been manipulating me or taking advantage of me. I love you. I want to do things for you and make you happy. Nothing needs to change between us."

"Okay," Clark agreed and absently kissed Lex's abdomen.

Lex shook his head, too tired to argue about it now. He'd talk to Clark again later and if that didn't work, he'd talk to Clark's parents and get them to talk to the boy. He didn't want things to change between them. There was no need. So what if Clark had him wrapped around his little finger. Lex happened to like it there.

<><><><><><>

"Jon, I'm not letting that boy out of my sight," Martha said the next morning as they sat at the kitchen table.

"Honey, I have no intention of letting either of them out of my sight any time soon. We'll have to make some sort of arrangements with the school," he said. "Maybe it's time for Clark to come down with chicken pox or something. That should keep everyone away for a while. After that, we'll think of something."

"German measles," Martha shook her head. "That's serious enough to keep Chloe away. And we're going to have to get a bigger bed."

"Yeah," Jonathan said, running a hand through his hair. "Part of me feels like I'm betraying Clark by condoning this. But a bigger part sees how much pain those boys have already gone through. I... I guess we don't have much choice. I won't have them sneaking around like what they share is something dirty. If that means I have to give my consent for it to happen under my roof, then I guess... I guess I'll have to get used to it."

"Your damn right you will," Martha said. "I'm putting my foot down now, Jon. "

"You don't have to, honey," he smiled, knowing better than to fight Martha when she was protecting one of her brood. "Even I'm not cruel enough to bring Lex here then tell them they have to keep their hands to themselves. If Lex feels up to it, we can go and pick the bed out today."

"Now don't rush things," Martha hedged. "There're boys... they can have our old bed and we can have a new one. Especially with your back and all."

"I tell you what. Why don't we replace both of them? I'll even let Lex pay for theirs," Jonathan said.

"Maybe we can splurge this once," Martha agreed. "But we also have something much more serious to deal with in the long term than sleeping arrangements."

"My father," Lex said as he and Clark walked into the kitchen. "Sorry to interrupt. We heard you talking and thought we'd join you." Lex still looked a bit shaky and they noticed that Clark was careful to keep a steadying arm on his mate.

"Well... that makes two things then," Martha said. "We have to worry about that... oh, Clark, forget I ever said this... but he's the biggest asshole I've ever met."

"It's okay, mom," Clark smiled. "You should have heard some of the things I called him in my head. I think the only worthwhile thing he's ever done was to bring Lex into the world."

"Lex's future is the other thing I was going to talk over with your dad," Martha said, still flustered that she'd sworn in front of Clark. "I'm glad you're here now."

"I'd like to take a moment to thank you both for what you did," Lex said. "You didn't have to come for me and you certainly didn't have to take me into your home. I want you to know that while I'm here I'll obey all the rules you've set for Clark and me. We... we won't disappoint you."

"I know, sweetie," Martha soothed. "But that wasn't what I was talking about. You'll always be welcome here, but what are you going to do with your life for the next few years? I assume now that your father disowned you, you also lost your job. You're always welcome to try a hand a farm work, but I really can't picture you slinging manure."

"Neither can I," Lex said with a mock-shudder. The smile on his face set the others at the table at ease, though. "I'm not exactly penniless. Even with Dad... with Lionel disowning me, I still have my trust fund. And I've acquired a few assets of my own over the years. Things that don't have any connection to Luthor Corp or my father. I may not be a billionaire any more, but I'll manage. And like I told Clark before, I can always go to work for Wayne Enterprises."

"I want you in Smallville by me," Clark cut in with no room for negotiation.

"I'm not leaving Smallville," Lex said. "My father may be able to drive me from the castle, but he will not run me out of town. My... my family is here, after all. Clark, I can work for Bruce from here. All I need is a well-equipped lab which he'll be more than happy to provide."

"But you'd be home when I got home from school?" Clark asked.

"Most of the time," Lex said. "And by dinner time the rest. I could see about some land close by so I'd never be far. I wouldn't need much really. Just enough for the lab and a place to live."

"Well you're living here..." Martha said.

"And if he doesn't mind constructing a new building, there's lots of land here," Jonathan continued his wife's offer.

"You... you want me here?" Lex asked, floored by what the Kents were offering him.

"You might as well be a Kent now," Jonathan said somewhat gruffly, trying not to be too emotional.

"A Kent... funny you should say that... " Lex trailed off then looked at his lover. "Clark, I know we never talked about it but when we do get married what do you think about me taking your name?"

Clark beamed at Lex. "Lex Kent... sorta has a nice ring to it." He added mentally as a joke, // Does that make you the bride? //

// We've already established that I'm the wife. But I refuse to wear a dress for you. // Lex smiled at his mate, happy to have their usual banter back.

// So does that mean I'm whipped like Dad? //

// Don't ever let your dad hear you say that. // Lex cautioned. // And no, it doesn't. Trust me, love, you definitely wear the pants in this family. //

"Sure, Lex," Clark said, realizing what they were doing might seem spooky to his parents. "Whatever. I won't make that mistake again."

"There is something else," Lex said, ignoring Clark's comment. "I need to go back to the castle for my things. Clothes and stuff, mostly. But there are a few other things I want, too."

"Tomorrow," Clark said immediately and then remembered he wasn't supposed to be pushy anymore. He added lamely, "Only if you want to..."

"Clark, stop it," Lex said. "And tomorrow is soon enough. I'm sure you've got some clothes I can borrow until then. Besides, by tomorrow Lionel should be gone."

"You can wear some of my clothes," Clark offered in a somewhat dejected voice. He hated it when Lex was forced to correct him. "I still have my blue tomato Kansas state fair shirt around for you."

"I had hoped to wait a bit before having this conversation, but I can see now that's not going to happen," Lex said. "I could well and truly strangle your parents for upsetting you like they did. They had no right to interfere. I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean they were right."

Clark shook his head and answered in a quiet, hurt voice. "They were right. If I hadn't been acting like that... this never would have happened."

"And please explain the logic leap there?" Lex said, a bit of his sarcasm coming through. "What does your tendency to be dominant have to do with my father trying to cut my balls off?"

"If hadn't been taking advantage of your love for me to get what I want... then my parent's wouldn't have had to step in," Clark babbled. "And then... then I would have been able to hear you sooner. I would've been able to stop him sooner."

"The only way you could have stopped him sooner was to use your powers. I'm just glad someone had the presence of mind to stop you from doing that. He didn't hurt me. Roughed me up a bit, but that's all. And for the last time, you have NOT been taking advantage of me."

"I know the truth," Clark mumbled, averting his eyes.

"What truth is that?" Lex asked, gentling his voice.

"That I didn't treat you right."

"How do you think you didn't treat me right? Clark, you've made me happier than I've ever been. I love everything we do together. I don't understand how you can think you haven't been treating me right."

Clark didn't answer, but instead his eyes slipped to his mother and father. He'd always believed what his parents told him and this wouldn't be an exception.

"Clark, honey, maybe your father and I were a bit harsh last night," Martha said, glancing at Jonathan for support. "We didn't mean to make you think you were hurting Lex. We only wanted you to realize the potential."

"You don't have to lie to me, Mom," Clark said.

"Son, when has your mother ever lied to you?" Jonathan asked gently. "We've never lied to you about anything. We certainly aren't going to start now. Your mother's right. We did go a bit overboard. And your fianc's right, too. No matter how concerned we were, it wasn't our place to interfere. He tried to tell me that last night, but I wouldn't listen."

"But I listened last night and I took it to heart," Clark explained. "You were right, I was wrong. You said it yourself... I needed the tough love. You don't have to coddle me now."

"We're not coddling you," Martha argued. "Sweetie, we were wrong. Obviously, Lex doesn't have a problem with your relationship. And once you've completed the bond I have a feeling things will even out."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," Clark said, trying to keep his tone low, but becoming more and more upset. He didn't like his parents and Lex ganging up on him when he was only trying to protect Lex.

"Okay," Lex said simply. He took Clark's chin in his hand and turned his lover to face him. Very deliberately he leaned forward and kissed Clark on the lips. He let his tongue slide into his lover's mouth for a moment then pulled back. "I love you. If you feel the need to step back and let me be in charge for a bit, we can do that, too. Whatever you need."

"I'm sorry I'm making you do this," Clark shuddered. "I promised I'd be strong for you."

"You're not making me do anything," Lex said. "I love you. What's it going to take to get that through your head?"

Clark wanted to say something profound. Something that would fix all their problems, like it did in the movies. But all that managed to come out was a soft croak, "I... I don't know..."

"Then I guess I'll have to keep telling you until you believe me again," Lex said. "I love you. Nothing is ever going to change that."

// I love you, too. You believe me, right? //

// I believe you. I just wish you believed me. But I'm a very patient man. I'll make you believe in me again. //

// Just because I realized my mistakes doesn't mean I don't believe you love me.... // Clark implored mentally and then said out loud, "I'm screwing this all up, aren't I?"

"Not at all," Lex admonished. "I think maybe we're all still a little on edge from everything that's happened. I know I am at any rate. Why don't we just let things lie for right now, okay?"

"Yeah... okay," Clark answered. "Can we eat something?"

"How about if I make us some eggs?" Lex asked, disentangling himself from Clark and standing up. He knew his presence was an added burden to the Kents. The least he could do was make himself useful.

"Ummm... Mom? You might want to protect you kitchen, I don't think we have enough fire insurance to let Lex cook," Clark looked dubiously at Lex, although his stomach was growling at him enough that he'd even eat Lex's burnt eggs right now.

"I can cook eggs, Clark," Lex laughed. "It's about all I can cook, but I can do that much. You, though, can put on the coffee. Mine's not fit to drink."

"Mom, maybe you can teach Lex how to cook?" Clark asked hopefully. One of them would have to learn.

"I'll teach both of you how to cook," Martha said with a smile. "It's not fair to expect Lex to do all the cooking, you know."

"I know how to cook!" Clark tried to look hurt.

"Yes. Eggs. Just like Lex. Now why don't you set the table while I help Lex with breakfast," she said. "If you two are feeling up to it we can go into town after breakfast and see about a new bed for you boys."

"And peanut butter sandwiches," Clark added, moving to obey his mother without thought. "And wait... did you just say bed?" Clark added mentally, // If they say bunk beds, I'm running away from home. //

"Yes," Jonathan said. "There's no way you two can sleep on that bed of Clark's. It's barely big enough for one."

"And you'll have to keep your room clean now, too," Martha warned, shaking the spatula at Clark. "I don't want Lex thinking I raised a pig."

"Um, Mr. Kent... that's really not necessary," Lex began. "I thought I'd just sleep in the barn. Or something."

"You will not sleep in the barn," Jonathan sighed. "I don't care what Clark whined to you about it being cooler in the barn. People have lived thousands of years without air conditioning."

"Sir, please..." Lex said. "I can't... you can't expect me to sleep next to him and not touch him. I'm not that strong. We'll obey your rules but I've got to have some space."

"Ahhh shit..." Jonathan swore.

"Jon!" Martha called out.

"Right... sorry, dear," he answered and shook his head. Despite the situation, Lex could only wonder if he would be that whipped in as many years. "Ahhh, we... Martha and I, discussed that rule. We decided... that... ah... boys will be boys?"

"You... you're giving me... us... permission... " Lex trailed off, blushing furiously.

"Ahhh... sometimes things happen and even though we... may not understand them... that's doesn't sound right," Jonathan stumbled over his words. "So what I was trying to say..."

"Is yes, we are giving you permission," Martha cut him off, before all three men turned any redder.

"I... I don't know what to say," Lex said. "I know you're against this... regardless of my gender you're against giving permission for your sixteen year old son to be sexually active. I can understand that, even agree with it to some extent. I guess I don't understand why you're willing to allow this."

"Because you're a new family now. I was young once, too," was all the clarification that Jonathan decided the situation needed.

"Lex, it's okay," Clark said when Lex floundered. He knew his lover wasn't sure what to make of all this. His dad was trying so hard to be understanding, to give them what they needed. But after what Lionel had tried to do, that understanding was hard to accept.

Jonathan was also uncomfortable and wondered if his sudden change of attitude was upsetting his authority and image with the boys. To keep up said image he added gruffly, "Just be discreet."

"Yes, Sir," Lex said. "I won't give you any reason to regret this, Mr. Kent. I promise. I won't embarrass you."

"Oh, don't listen to him, Lex," Martha cut in. "This is coming from the man who on a regular basis gooses me in public."

"Martha," Jonathan pleaded softly. "I just want the boys to be careful, that's all. I'm not telling them they can't be... affectionate. But this is Kansas."

"Jon, this may be Kansas, but we're dealing with two very bright boys here," Martha chided her husband. "One is a... oh chemist is it, Lex?" Lex nodded, taken aback by the tidal wave that was Martha. "Right, chemist and Clark, well, Clark's my baby and we know how smart he is. So I know they'll be careful. Won't you boys?"

"Yes, ma'am," Lex replied. "I know this is Kansas. I also know the difference between Smallville and Metropolis. I know what's acceptable here and what's not. Clark is underage. That means we have to be even more careful. At least until he turns 18. After that, well, you earn your living here. If people suddenly stopped wanting to do business with you, that could prove disastrous."

"Business is always disastrous, but we manage to get by," Jonathan said, proud that he'd always managed to support his family.

"Yes, but what happens when the good people of Smallville take exception to the fact that you son is fucking another man and a Luthor, at that?" Lex asked, wanting to get this all out in the open so they could deal with it. "Not only is he a fag, but he's a rich boy's plaything. Then, of course, you get to deal with the accusations that I'm somehow compensating you for Clark's company."

"Then we ship our business to dealers in Metropolis who don't give a shit who my son fucks," Jonathan shot back stubbornly. "We've been keeping our business local because we believe in this town and its people despite other offers. If they turn their back on us, then I say screw them all."

"Alright boys, enough," Martha said sternly. "If you can't find another word to use than... that one, you can take your conversation outside. And if I hear that word come out of Clark's mouth even once, I'll wash all of your mouths out for it. Now Lex, I know you're just trying to get your point across and make us understand what we could be dealing with. I appreciate that, but I will not have that sort of language at my breakfast table. Understand?"

"Ahhh..." Lex was absolutely taken aback. No one spoke to him like. Not even his own mother or nannies had.

Clark elbowed him softly and suggested helpfully mentally. // Apologize and say yes m'am. //

"You're right, Martha," Lex said. "I'm sorry. I just wanted you both to be aware of the kinds of things that will be said once Clark and I go public with this. That does not, however, excuse my vulgarity in your home. I am sorry and I'll do my best not to let it happen again."

"I thought boys were supposed to marry people like their moms," Clark noted with an evil smile on his face. "How come I'm marrying a carbon copy of my dad?"

Both Jonathan and Lex choked at the comment and turned wide eyes on Clark. "I am going to pretend, for all our sakes, that you did not just say that," Lex said. "Now go play with the cows or something. Martha and I are trying to fix breakfast here."

"Yes, dear," Clark said, mimicking him father's voice and tone.

"Son, let me give you a piece of advice," Jonathan began as he grabbed Clark and pulled him toward the door. "Never, ever make fun of your significant other when they're cooking for you."

"Right," Clark said, the grin still plastered on his face, the bond happy now that Lex was away from danger and his family was all together under one roof. // You realize that if I don't get laid soon, I may take your suggestion of playing with the cows to an entirely new level. //

"Martha, we really are going to have to talk about your son's sense of humour," Lex said, ignoring Clark's comment. He waited until Clark and Jonathan were out on the porch before speaking again. "Are you really alright with this?"

"I've always wanted another child," Martha said.

"Yes, but did you really plan on him being bald, in his twenties, and in love with your son?" Lex asked.

Martha shrugged and handed Lex a potato with a peeler. "Bald yes... the other stuff was negotiable."

Lex seemed satisfied with the answer and they went back to work on breakfast. Going to town to pick out beds would be the first test. It would give Jonathan and Martha a taste of what they could expect and it would let Lex know how his in-laws were going to react.

Out in the barn, Jonathan had decided it was time for a lecture he didn't think he'd have to give Clark for at least another decade. Of course, he'd always suspected the boy would marry the first girl he fell in love and dated, but he'd hoped to at least have a few years. But know his sixteen-year old son was as good as married, so it was now or never. Jonathan started with the same line his own father had said to him on his wedding day. "Son, there are some things a man needs to know."

Clark looked up, surprised by his dad's words. He could see that his dad was a bit flustered so he stalled a bit. "Why don't we go up to the loft?" he suggested both for the privacy and for the comfortable couch. He had a feeling this talk was going to take a while.

Jonathan nodded and waited until Clark was seated on the couch, staring up at him as he paced. "Okay, like I was saying, son. There are some things a man needs to know and as your father, it's my job to tell you."

"Um, dad, if this is the extended version of the birds and the bees... you're a little late," Clark said, blushing only slightly.

"Normally... that would be part of the conversation," Jonathan coughed, "But I don't pretend to know anything about... what... ahhh, never mind. What I actually wanted to talk to you about was responsibilities and mistakes. Think of it as a game plan for marriage."

"I take responsibilities for my mistakes," Clark said, looking at the floor. "I know I screwed up, Dad. It won't happen again."

"I wasn't talking about that," Jonathan winced. "I was talking about little mistakes men tend to make everyday. Like the one at breakfast."

"I don't understand," Clark said.

"Son, sometimes men don't think," Jonathan tried to select his words carefully. "Like when I say something stupid and upset your mother."

"You think I upset Lex?" Clark asked, still a bit confused. "I was just teasing him. He knows that."

"No, I don't think you upset him, but you could. What I'm trying to say is that my advice is to keep your... boyfriend happy. If I keep your mother happy, then I'm happy. Happy marriages work this way, Clark, trust me."

"You mean like when you know mom's kinda grumpy so you pick her some flowers?" Clark asked.

"Right," Jonathan agreed readily. "And when I know she's in a bad mood and glaring at me, I make myself scarce. And for god sake's never, ever make fun of what they wear."

"Dad... you know Lex isn't a girl, right?" Clark said, unable to imagine his lover getting into a snit over Clark insulting his clothes. But then again, Lex could get his balls in a knot over the damnedest things sometimes.

"Clark... I know that," Jonathan sighed. He had to choose his words very carefully. "But Lex is rather... high maintenance from what I've seen."

"High maintenance?" Clark laughed. "Dad, you don't know the half of it. He tries so hard to make me happy, though. I mean... he, well, he... you know, lets me... do stuff... no matter what..." Clark turned bright red as he stumbled over his words. He didn't think he'd ever get used to discussing his sex life with his parents. Discussing it with his dad was a thousand times better than talking to his mom, though. He had no clue how Lex managed it without spontaneously combusting.

"Well..." Jonathan coughed again. "From what you're describing... he sorta sounds like some girls act, but I'm not saying that's a bad thing..." Jonathan couldn't believe he was having this conversation. He was starting to get attached to Lex, but that didn't mean he didn't think the boy was a big ol' cream puff. "But... ah, that means you just have to be careful with him. That's when the responsibility part comes in."

"Dad, do you think I'm taking unfair advantage of Lex?" Clark asked, needing to know. "I try not to ever hurt him. Well, you know I did that one time, but he asked me to. Really, he did. He said... said he wanted it that way. I... I always try not to, you know, be too rough with him."

"Clark, I don't know much about this gay thing... but from what I understand, sometimes men want it that way. Lex isn't a woman, but you need to be the bigger man sometimes and put your foot down. You have to protect him. If that means being in charge, then so be it. Being in charge is different than manipulating him."

"So I shouldn't give him that even if he wants it that way?" Clark asked, a bit confused. "I didn't... um... tear him up or anything... he was just kinda sore and... stuff..."

"Clark, I'm gonna put this bluntly..." Jonathan grunted. "There's people who fuck and there's people who get fucked. You wouldn't be rough with a girl would you? It's the same way here. I've always told you to control your strength."

"I do control my strength," Clark argued. "I've never hurt him. Not any more than he asked for. He enjoyed what we did. I know he did. I could feel his pleasure. How can it be wrong if it's what Lex wants?"

"Because he wants you to hurt him and then it causes trouble," Jonathan explained patiently. "He got hurt and you healed him. Remember how upset he was?"

"Yeah, I do," Clark replied. "I couldn't leave him hurting. I know he got mad, but I just couldn't do it. I love him so much, Dad. He's... he's everything. You know? Like mom is to you."

"I'm just beginning to understand that," Jonathan nodded. "And I just want to tell you one more thing and then we can forget we ever talked about this. I know the bond... is incomplete. Sometimes we have to do things we may not want to. You may have to just bear it and things can go back to normal afterwards."

"Dad..." Clark began to tell his father that he wanted Lex to complete the bond, craved it even, then thought better of it. It might be best to let his dad go on believing that submitting to Lex was something Clark would have to tolerate. "Right. We better get back inside before they come looking for us."

"Right then," Jonathan quipped and slapped Clark on the shoulder. "Just because you're involved with another man, doesn't make you any less of one."

"Thanks, dad," Clark said. He knew his father was trying really hard. In time, he suspected the other man would come to understand a good deal more about his relationship with Lex. But for now, this simple acceptance was enough.

In the kitchen Martha was giving Lex some of her own advice. "You realize unfortunately that what Clark said was true, don't you?"

"What specific Clark-ism are we talking about?" Lex asked, his trademark half-smile once again gracing his face.

"That you and Jonathan are very much alike," Martha said nonchalantly. "That's why you two butt heads so much."

"Really, Martha, I don't see how Mr. Kent and I are alike at all," Lex said, stopping what he was doing to stare at the woman beside him. "About the only two things we have in common are our hatred for my father and our love for Clark."

"You're both stubborn, proud, dedicated to those you love, over protective, cute as hell... shall I go on?" Martha rattled off.

"Thank you. I think," Lex smiled. "You know, Martha, I've never really considered Mr. Kent cute before."

"He's really quite tame," Martha smiled at Lex. "Just pig headed sometimes. But I wanted to warn you of how sensitive Clark can be. Clark doesn't always agree with his father and since you have the same personality as Jonathan..."

"You don't have to worry about that, Martha. What Clark wants, I want. It's as simple as that."

"Hmmm hmmm," Martha tsked. Lex said that now, but what was it going to be like when they had been together for years, she wondered.

"I love him," Lex said. "I'll do whatever I have to in order to make him happy. Once the bond's stabilized, I doubt if I'll be able to do anything else."

"I think Clark's people, whoever they were, would have had equal relationships," Martha noted.

"Probably so," Lex agreed. "But we've already established that I'm very human. I don't think the bond is going to affect me the way it would someone from Clark's home world."

"You're closer to his home world than we'll ever be after that meteor shower," Martha pointed out carefully. "We don't know that anyone else would even have been receptive to the bond. If an... unaffected person was capable of accepting the bond, than I suspect Lana or even Chloe might have. If Clark hadn't found you, he could've spent his entire life in pain."

"Martha, if you're trying to reassure me... " Lex gasped, staggering back to the kitchen table and sitting down hard. "Don't you think I know all this? Don't you think I know that if anything ever happens to me he'll spend the rest of his life alone? Assuming, of course, that he lives through it. Do you have any idea how terrified that makes me?"

"Ahhh, sweetie, I didn't mean it that way..." Martha blurted out and rushed over to pull Lex into a hug. She caressed his head and whispered. "You're obviously meant for each other."

"I know I'll never out live him," Lex whispered, voice rough with emotion. "But I hope when it happens, it happens fast. I don't want time to realize that I'll take him with me. I don't want to know that I've killed him, too."

"Shush, now," Martha soothed Lex. "You don't know what the future holds. You'll probably end up chasing him around a nursing home."

Lex let her hold him for a moment, then pulled away. "Sorry," he said, ducking his head a bit.

"Nothing to apologize for," Martha chided, patting him on a cheek. "That's what I'm here for."

<><><><><><>

// I can't believe we're shopping for mattresses with my parents. // Clark whined, rolling his eyes as his mother commented on the nice floral pattern and his father tsked at the price of what Clark was sure was the thousandth mattress they'd looked at.

// It could be worse. At least the quarterback hasn't shown up yet. Maybe we can manage to avoid anyone we actually know. // Lex couldn't believe they were doing this either. He'd figured they'd go separately to keep from drawing attention, but Martha and Jonathan had insisted on doing this as a family. Apparently Jonathan wanted the good citizens of Smallville to know that that his feud with Lex Luthor was over.

// I just want something my feet won't hang off of. I've been sleeping on the same mattress since I was a kid. //

// I wouldn't mind something big enough to move around on myself. // Lex risked a leer in Clark's direction and was gratified by the blush he saw staining his lover's cheeks.

// You're forgetting that you're a cuddler. // Clark shot back.

// I wasn't talking about after. I meant during. The bigger the bed the more room we have to be... creative. //

// Lex... not here. Please? // Clark looked aghast at Lex.

"Sorry," Lex said, genuinely contrite. He knew he wasn't being fair, teasing Clark like that in public. He started to reach out for his lover's hand and had to stop himself. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he looked around for Martha and headed in her direction.

// Lex... whatever you do, don't let her get a flowered one. // Clark added mentally, hoping to lighten the mood and get his mind out of its seemingly permanent position in the gutter.

// I won't. // Lex assured him quickly. He caught up to Martha and touched her lightly on the arm. "So, pick anything out yet?"

"Oh..." Martha was startle as she had been concentrating on the price tag and list of features. "There's so much to chose from. I want to get something firm enough for Jonathan's bad back, but he just keeps grumbling that he doesn't have one."

"Well, which one would be best for him?" Lex asked. "Oh, Clark requests nothing floral. You are going to let me pay you back for ours right?"

"You can spoil him with this as much as you want," Martha smiled softly. "It's not like you'll find a waterbed at Fordham's, but go ahead and splurge while I deal with my grumpy husband. He hates shopping... actually, come to think of it, so does Clark. Do you?"

"I don't mind it. Especially when I get to buy things for Clark." Lex paused for a moment then stepped closer to Martha so he could speak in her ear. "If it's a matter of money about the bed..."

"No..." Martha shook her head. "It's about me being choosey and Jonathan eyeing the tool department when he should be over here helping me. Jonathan!"

"Ouch," Lex laughed. "I'll just wander on over to the extra longs then and leave you two to shop."

Jonathan slinked back to Martha's side, looking back forlornly at a Black and Decker drill. "Yes, dear?"

Lex took that as his cue to beat a hasty retreat. He looked around and spotted Clark talking to Lana of all people. Lex couldn't help the irrational surge of jealousy at the sight of them. He saw Clark look up and knew that his lover had felt him. Turning around, he headed toward the mattresses, consoling himself with the fact that he was here to pick out a new bed for the two of them.

// She's here to pick Whitney up from work and she spotted me. // Clark supplied, watching Lex out of the corner of his eye. // Remind me why I ever liked her that way? //

// Actually, I'd rather not. // Lex shot back before he could stop himself. Damn his jealousy anyway. Focusing on the beds, he caught the salesgirl's attention quickly and picked out the bed he wanted. He told them to deliver it to the castle as quickly as possible. He'd have his staff bring it out to the Kent place that evening. Jonathan had asked for discretion and that's what he was going to get.

Clark quickly dismissed himself from Lana's company after wincing visibly from feeling the shot of jealously through the bond. He told her he had a migraine from shopping with his mother and left quickly to walk back to Lex's side, with his shoulders slumped. He had no right to be around a girl he'd once liked without Lex's permission. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, knowing Lex preferred to hear a vocal apology.

"It's alright," Lex said. "I shouldn't have reacted like that." He walked away, knowing Clark would follow. He nodded at Martha and she waved back as they headed for the door. They had taken separate cars to keep from drawing too much attention. Now all Lex wanted to do was get out of there and back to the farm. He'd arrange for his staff to bring the bed over later.

// I really am sorry, Lex. // Clark tried again when they got into the car. // I could... let you do stuff to me back in the barn to make up for it? Mom and Dad will be gone all day. //

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Lex said. "I told you when we first started this I didn't mind you being friends with Lana..." // And just what do you mean by do stuff to you? //

"Whatever you want..." Clark mumbled. He wouldn't push himself on Lex anymore... he'd promised himself that, but the bond was compelling him to do something at least. He'd always suspected the bond affected him more sexually than it did Lex.

Lex counted to ten in as many languages as he could before looking at his lover. He could feel Clark's insecurity and fear and that quickly cooled his anger. Knowing that reasoning with Clark when he got like this was the equivalent to arguing with his shoe, Lex tried a different approach. "Anything I want, huh?"

"Yes... anything," Clark nodded, his apprehension starting to fade. This would make Lex happy.

"Okay," Lex said. He smiled when he felt Clark fidget next to him. A subtle probe along the bond had him closing his shields. He knew it wouldn't keep Clark out if he was determined to get in, but Lex thought it would get the point across.

Clark gulped when he felt the shields go up. The last emotions he'd felt were a malicious glee and residual traces of anger and jealousy. "Are you going to punish me?" he barely croaked out.

"Do you think you deserve to be punished?" Lex asked, putting the ball firmly in Clark's court. This was something they hadn't really tried. He wasn't sure how Clark would react to it.

Clark tested the bond, but still felt it cut off. He thought of what Lex would want him to answer and said, "Y-yes."

"Alright then. What do you think your punishment should be?" Lex pulled the car up close to the barn and shut it off. He turned to look at Clark, curious as to what the young man would say. He could feel Clark tentatively probing at the bond but so far he was respecting Lex's shields.

"What ever you think it should be?" Clark answered uncertainly.

"Come now, Clark. You said yourself you thought you deserved to be punished. Surely you must have some type of punishment in mind," Lex said. He could see the confusion in his lover's eyes and ached to reach out to him. He didn't dare. If this was to play out the way he wanted it to, the way they needed it to, then he couldn't afford to be weak.

"Ahhh..." Clark was totally at a loss. He tried to think of some movies he'd seen to draw on them. "You c-can't hurt me physically."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that," Lex said with a laugh. "But we'll let that go for now. I tell you what, you can leave the punishment up to me if you tell me what it is you think I should punish you for?"

Clark shuddered, wondering how far Lex would go to remind him of who he belonged to... surely he wouldn't use the meteor rock? "For forgetting who I belong to..." he whispered.

Lex closed his eyes and held back a shudder. The image of the green glowing rocks had been so strong in Clark's mind that he couldn't help but pick up on it. It disgusted him to even think about using them against his lover. Still, Clark was young and he couldn't really blame him for thinking it. It was, after all, what Lex had implied. As he sat in the quiet car facing his lover, Lex felt the bond start to respond. He felt it pushing him onward, as if it wanted him to do this.

Swallowing hard, he whispered, "Go into the barn and take off your clothes."

"Yes, Lex," Clark answered, barely above a whisper. He went inside without looking back. He stripped off his shirt, boots, jeans, and boxers quickly, kicking them into the corner. He sat down on floor pulling his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around them, and waited for Lex.

Lex waited exactly five minutes before getting out of the car and walking into the barn. He still wasn't exactly sure what he was going to do. He'd simply have to wing it for now and hope something came to mind. Walking into the barn, he was pleased to see Clark had obeyed him. "Stand up, arms at your sides," he said as he pulled the barn doors shut behind him.

Clark did as he was told and stood up, hands at his side. He propped the bond gently trying to get a sense of what Lex was feeling in order to decide how he was supposed to react.

"You're cheating," Lex accused, coming to a decision instantly.

Clark looked as if he'd been slapped. "No," he said, shaking his head. "Lex, I wouldn't. I swear..."

"Zip it, Clark. That's going to be your punishment," Lex said. "You're going to go through this with the bond closed off."

Clark started to say something but the look on Lex's face shut him up. He nodded his head, over bright eyes trained to the floor. He didn't want to see Lex looking at him like that. He didn't want to see the disappointment and disgust in his lover's eyes. He loved Lex with everything he had. How could he even think that he would ever touch anyone else?

"I want to know if you have greater control over the bond than me," Lex started to walk a slow circle around Clark. "Are you able to keep your feelings and desires about other people hidden from me?"

Clark shook his head no, unwilling to risk angering Lex further by talking. In truth, he didn't know if he could or not. He'd never tried. He didn't have any feelings for anyone other than Lex. Well, his parents, of course. And he cared for his friends. But none of them even came close to the wealth of feelings he had for Lex. And he never, never thought of touching anyone else. Just thinking of someone else's hands on him right now was enough to make him shudder.

"Tell me what you're thinking about for a change," Lex demanded.

"No one else," Clark whispered, his voice raw with emotion as he struggled to keep the majority of it inside. "I've never wanted anyone else since the first time I saw you. I would die before I'd let another person put their hands on me. Please, Lex..."

Suddenly Lex was in Clark's face and he hissed, "You'd better believe no one else will touch you."

Clark took an involuntary step back, fear shining in his eyes. He knew Lex wouldn't hurt him... couldn't hurt him, but his lover had never taken that tone with him before. It frightened Clark to know that he'd made Lex this angry. "I'm sorry," he said, wanting to fall to his knees at Lex's feet and beg his forgiveness. The bond was screaming in his head to do just that, to beg and plead until his mate forgave him.

The bond was screaming at Lex, too. It was demanding that he do anything to complete it. "Prove it."

"How?" Clark asked, the single word coming out in a wail. "Tell me how I can prove it. There's... there's meteor rock out in McAllister's field. You could... I could go out there... if you wanted... until you said I could come home..."

That was when something broke down in the bond as Clark literally fell down into it. Lex felt a wave of Clark's despair and fear hit him full force. Clark was scared to death of displeasing Lex and trying to will himself hard.

"Oh Clark," Lex said as he stepped forward and pulled his shaking mate into his arms. "I'm sorry. Shhh... it's okay. I should never have tried this. I'm so sorry, love."

"Lex... please, do it. Do anything you want..." Clark begged. // Just don't stop loving me? // "Oh... shit, I broke my promise... Don't go..." Clark almost wailed.

// Not going anywhere. Not ever. If you try to make me leave I'll keep coming back. Won't ever leave you. I was a fool to even try this. You said you deserved it. I was just trying to help. God, I'm a fucking idiot. Love you so damn much. // Lex poured everything he could into the bond, his thoughts coming out in disjointed half sentences. Clark was still shaking in his arms and Lex hated himself more than he ever had in his life for scaring his lover this badly.

// I was supposed to make sure you were never unhappy... keep you safe. // Clark clung to Lex. // I'm not being the man I'm supposed to be. I should have been able to bear it. I'm sorry. //

// Should have been able to bear what? // Lex whispered in his mind. He knew the time had come to finally seal this once and for all. He was going to hate himself for taking Clark's virginity in the fucking barn but he would deal with that later. His lover needed him. Lex could feel the need pouring off him in waves. It was time to finish this.

// My father said when the time came, I was supposed to grin and bear it. // Clark admitted. // Then he said things could get back to normal. //

"Grin and bear what, love?" Lex asked, letting his breath ghost over Clark's neck. One more sensation to help ground his still trembling lover.

"When you take me..." Clark whispered. "You can get me back for every time I was too rough with you. I just wish I could feel the pain... but I can if you get the meteor rock..."

"Clark..." Lex swallowed thickly. "That's not going to happen. I'm not going to hurt you. I don't think I can do this if all it amounts to is some sort of punishment for you. I'm sorry. I just... I can't..."

"Lex..." Clark begged desperately. "Tell me what to do and I'll do it. I've tried to manipulate you, tried to be dominant and even... submissive... to get you interesting in me that way. The only thing that seems to have worked was making you jealous and I don't have the balls to follow through with that. What do I have to do?"

"Just let me love you," Lex whispered. "I don't want to hurt you. God, just the thought of hurting you turns my stomach. I want to love you, Clark. Can we do that? Can I make love to you?"

"Yes... please..." Clark nearly sobbed with joy. "That's all I've ever wanted."

"Then come up to the loft," Lex said. "Let me at least be able to put something soft beneath you. This isn't what I wanted for you, you know. I wanted big, soft beds and candles and wine. Not haylofts and old sofas." Lex led him upstairs as he talked, pulling Clark along when he tried to hesitate. He spoke with his voice but he let his love and desire slide along the bond until they washed over Clark.

"This is has been my favourite place," Clark said happily. "I'm glad its gonna be here."

"Then so am I," Lex said. He led Clark over to the couch and sat him down. He took a step back and began to undress, his eyes locked with his lover's as he did so. He hoped Clark still had some lube up here. He wasn't going to take him with just spit no matter how much Clark insisted he couldn't be hurt. "When this is all over you and I are going to have a very overdue talk. Okay?"

"Sure, Lex," Clark agreed happily, watching as Lex's pale chest was revealed. "Whatever you want."

"Whatever I want, huh?" Lex mused. "So does that hold true for now as well as later?"

"Yep," Clark nodded like an over eager puppy, not caring to what he was agreeing to.

Lex finished undressing and stood before Clark. He could see the hunger in his lover's eyes and it spurred him on. Too many months had seen him playing the submissive for him to pass this up now. He wasn't about to hurt Clark but he needed this so badly. // Come and suck me then. I want to feel your mouth on my cock. //

Clarke scrambled off the couch and onto to his knees before Lex. He quickly swallowed Lex's cock and stared up at his lover with adoring eyes.

// Suck it. // Lex commanded as he slid his hands into soft black hair. // Show me how badly you want it. //

The ability to go without oxygen served Clark well as he suck Lex deeper. // You'll still make love to me, right? //

// Depends on how well you suck my cock. // Lex answered, gripping Clark's hair tighter.

// I don't think I can wait if you cum. // Clark whined mentally. // Can you feel it, Lex? The completion of the bond is so close! //

// You'll wait if I tell you to wait. // Lex began to thrust his hips then, burying his cock all the way down Clark's throat. He knew he was going to cum this way but he also knew that it would simply take the edge off. The bond wouldn't allow him to back out now. It would demand completion. That was fine with Lex, but it would be on his terms this time.

Clark started to pull away, his need to finish the bond overruling his earlier promise to obey Lex. // No, Lex. We're too close. It's been too long! //

Lex's hands fisted in Clarks' hair holding his head in place. // You will not deny me. Now suck! // Lex pulled back and thrust in hard, causing Clark to choke. He did it again. And then he was cumming, pouring his seed down his lover's throat while Clark squirmed in his grip.

// Nooo... // Clark wailed mentally.

Lex quickly pulled his still hard cock from Clark's mouth and reached down to pull his lover to his feet. Tears ran down Clark's face and Lex held him for a moment, soothing him with his body. // Do you trust me, Clark? //

// Yes, I trust you, but no games... I need you so much. // Clark managed to get the thoughts together, but he knew if he was denied the final connection of the bond much longer, the penalty would be permanent damage to the bond. It felt like he had waited too long, put it off to his peril.

"I know," Lex said. "Get the lube from where ever you've got it stashed then get on the couch on your hands and knees. It's time to finish this."

Clark got up and stumbled over to a loose bail of hay and shoved his hand inside, pulling out a bottle of lube. He normally would have blushed to admit that he'd swiped it from Lex's house because he was too embarrassed to buy some at the drugstore, but now he didn't care. He wasn't conscious of his wanton actions and he moved quickly to the couch, moving onto his hands and knees.

"So fucking beautiful," Lex said as he came up behind Clark. "And all mine. No one else will ever get to touch you like this. No one else will ever get to feel you the way I'm going to. I love you so much. Never doubt that again."

"Prove it..." Clark echoed Lex words earlier.

Without warning Clark's cheeks were pulled apart and a slick finger slid inside him. Lex pressed it in all the way, until the hand rested against Clark's ass. // Now really isn't the time to challenge me, Clark. I've had about all of playing the submissive I can take. //

// I've been waiting for you to take control. // Clark pushed back against Lex's hand, trying to tempt him and push him deeper.

"I wanted to wait until you were ready. Didn't want to rush you," Lex gasped as he slid one finger out and shoved two back in hard enough to make Clark cry out. "No more waiting. Time for you to know just who owns your ass."

"You own all of me... and we were waiting for you, I've been ready for you since the river," Clark said breathlessly.

Knowing Clark was telling the truth, Lex wondered how different things would have been for them if Jonathan Kent hadn't nearly killed him. It was the main reason Lex had been so hesitant. Well, the time for hesitation was over. Pulling his fingers free, Lex slicked his hard cock. "I love you," he whispered as he positioned himself then pushed forward slow and steady.

"Love you, too," Clark echoed and then sensed Lex was being on easy on him. In his subconscious Lex thought he would hurt Clark because he was a virgin, but other than a strange fullness, there was no pain. "You can't hurt me, Lex."

"I know," Lex said as he slowly pulled back and thrust forward again. "But I don't want to rush this. You only get one first time. I want you to remember it."

"It's you... how could I ever forget that?" Clark said and then closed his eyes as something once dormant in the bond began to flicker to life.

"I want it to be good for you... fucking fantastic..." Lex murmured. Left unsaid was the fact that Lex desperately wanted Clark's first time to be better than his was.

"You could never rape me..." Clark breathed, "Because I'll let you do anything you want to me."

"God, Clark..." Lex gasped. "Would never hurt you like that. Not ever."

"Only way you could hurt me was to leave me," Clark breathed and then shouted out, "Shit..."

"What?" Lex asked, freezing. "Did I hurt you?"

"Don't stop," Clark begged. "It's just my head. My head hurts..."

Lex wasn't sure what to do. The bond was crying out for him to finish it but the thought of Clark in pain was enough to cool even his ardour. Lex didn't know whether it was the desperation in Clark's voice or the bond or just instinct on his part but something told him not to stop now. That stopping now could, in fact, be dangerous for Clark. As carefully as he could, Lex pulled back and thrust forward again, concentrating on Clark for any further signs of pain.

Clark arched his back and grabbing onto his head with one hand. His emotions and feelings were mixing with Lex's making a confusing cocktail. The exchange kept speeding up as Lex thrust into his body harder and harder.

Lex felt the bond taking over and forcing him to take Clark harder and harder. He tried to fight it but it was no use. He wasn't in control any longer as he literally pounded into his lover. If Clark had been human he would be doing serious damage. Lex only hoped he wasn't hurting Clark in some way he didn't realize yet.

// Finish it! // Clark's voice screamed out in both their minds. // Make us one! //

The sound of Clark desperately begging was the last push Lex needed. "Clark!" he screamed as he shoved in hard and deep and came. He could feel himself pouring into his lover but at the same time he could somehow feel Clark pouring into him. It had to be the bond. It was finally completing itself as it should have all those months ago.

Clark came at the same time Lex did, triggered by the shared mental and physical release. The only side effect was that he passed out suddenly, his body collapsing onto the bed as his world went dark.

"Clark?" Lex called out as the body beneath him suddenly collapsed. Fear shot through Lex when Clark didn't reply and he probed the bond. The nothingness that Lex encountered terrified him. He pulled free as gently as he could and moved up beside Clark. His lover was still alive, at least, but he was completely unresponsive. Just as he was starting to panic, he heard the truck pull up to the house. Running over to the door, he leaned out and shouted for Clark's parents.

He didn't even have enough sense to cover himself, overwhelmed by complete and utter panic. He kept shaking his lover gently, repeating over and over again. "Clark, baby, wake up. Please, wake up!"

"Lex, what is it?" Jonathan said as he ran into the barn. Martha was right on his heels and both of them gasped when they saw their son lying naked on the couch with Lex kneeling beside him.

"He won't wake up," Lex said, turning tear-filled eyes to Clark's parents. "I don't know what I did. Please... you have to make him wake up."

Martha started crying, "Is he alive?!"

"Yes, but he won't wake up," Lex muttered. "Just make him wake up."

Jonathan walked over and felt Clark's pulse. When he confirmed his son was alive, he pulled an old afghan from the back of the couch and covered him from the waist down. "Tell us what happened."

"W-we-we were making love," Lex said softly. "It... the bond... we had to complete it. I was... I was... oh God, I did this. Please, Mr. Kent, I didn't mean to hurt him. You know I'd rather die than hurt him." Lex started to back away, his eyes darting between Jonathan and Clark.

"Freeze, Lex," Jonathan said in a firm and yet calm voice. "Do you want Clark to wake up with you gone?"

"I just want him to wake up," Lex whispered. "I can't even feel him over the bond."

"This bond thing is part of Clark's growing up..." Jonathan said carefully. "We don't even know how he's supposed to react. Maybe this is normal."

"He's never passed out before," Lex argued, shaking his head. "I knew I should never have tried this. Things need to stay the way they are. Nothing needs to change."

"We can't worry about that now," Jonathan insisted. "The best we can do is keep vigil. Get dressed, Lex."

"Yes, Sir," Lex said as he stood up and headed straight for his clothes. He couldn't help but blush when he moved past Martha, but it was more from shame than embarrassment. She had trusted him and he had betrayed that trust by hurting her son. Gathering his clothes, Lex headed out of the barn. Once outside, he dressed quickly and sat down on the ground, knees drawn up to his chest, to wait.

Martha was torn between going after Lex and watching over Clark. It was decided when Jonathan said, "Let him be for a bit. We'll call him when Clark wakes up." Even though he didn't want to blame Lex for what had had happened, a part of him did.

"It's not his fault, Jon," Martha said, knowing her husband all too well. "We both told him we thought he needed to complete the bond with Clark. And you have to know that Lex would cut his own arm off before he'd harm Clark in any way."

"Tell that to my heart, Martha," Jonathan said gruffly and knelt down next to Clark. He brushed a lock of hair off of Clark's forehead and whispered. "Come on now, son. Wake up."

"Jon, whatever you do, please don't take this out on Lex," Martha pleaded. "He's finally starting to trust you. Don't throw away all the progress you've both made."

"Then go get the boy," Jonathan answered, standing but not taking his eyes off of Clark.

"No," Martha said. "We can wait until Clark wakes up. I think he needs some time to himself. And I know my husband needs some time with his son."

"I still think of him as the helpless little boy we found," Jonathan sighed.

"So do I," Martha said as he moved up behind her husband and rested her head against his back. "It's hard for me to even imagine him being sexually active much less... this..."

"Sometimes we just forget how different he really is," Jonathan said. "I wonder if there's some place out there where this is all normal. Where there're people who'd know how to deal with this and answer his questions. That's one of the worst things for me... when he looks to me for answers and I can't give them to him..."

"You give him what you can," Martha said. "You give him patience and trust and understanding. You shelter him when you can and protect him with your life. You're a good father, Jonathan. Just because you don't have all the answers, that doesn't change."

"A better father would have handled..." Jonathan waved his hand absently in the air. "...all of this differently."

"You thought he'd hurt your son," Martha argued gently. "You were just trying to protect him. Any father would have done the same thing in your place. And besides, Lex forgives you."

"I know, and I know I don't deserve that," Jonathan sighed. "I don't think I've ever said how much I love you for loving our son, Martha. For protecting him and being there for him no matter what."

"You may not have said it with words but you say it every day all the same," she replied. They fell silent for a few moments then Martha tensed when the soft sounds of quiet sobs drifted up to them.

"He really does love our boy," Jonathan said quietly.

"Yes, he does," Martha agreed. "Jon, will you be alright here with Clark?"

"If he wakes up, I'll call you. Go calm Lex down."

"I'll try," she said as she stood. "But I don't think anything will really be able to calm him until Clark wakes up." Martha went down the stairs and outside to find Lex huddled against the barn door.

Lex's eyes snapped open and he demanded, "Is he awake? I still can't feel him."

"He's still out, sweetie," she said as she sat down beside him. "I just came down to be with you."

"What if he doesn't wake up?" Lex asked, his voice cracking. "What if I killed him?"

"You didn't kill him," Martha assured him as she pulled his unresisting form into her arms. "He'll wake up, Lex. He'll be okay."

"I did this to him," Lex sobbed. "I shouldn't have done it."

"You only did what you thought was right," she said. She held him to her even tighter and let him cry. "You didn't hurt him, Lex. I know that in my heart. You could never hurt my son. You love him too much for that."

"Love can kill," Lex whispered, attempting to pull back.

"Yes, it can," Martha agreed, refusing to let him pull away. "Your father's version of love nearly took you away from all of us. And Jonathan... his love for Clark nearly did, too. But this, what you two have, could never do that."

"I want to believe you so much," Lex whispered, now in Martha's grasp like a limpet.

"Then do it," she told him. "Because my son needs you. And I love you too much to lose you now."

Lex didn't answer her but deciding waiting in the arms of the closest thing he'd had to a mother since he was child was better than waiting alone. At least he'd have company in his misery.

It was nearly seven hours later that a frantic Lex heard a weak voice call out in his head, // Lex? //

Lex sobbed and clutched Martha tighter. "He's... I can hear him..." he said when she looked at him in alarm. // Clark? Are you awake, love? //

// Yes... where are you? //

// Outside the barn with mom. I thought I'd killed you. Where's your dad? //

// Not dad, want you. // The choppy sentence came through.

"Lex, get up here," Jonathan called out as Clark started to shake. Something told him the boys needed to be together right now. He figured, though, that Lex wasn't going to come up here on his own any time soon.

"He's coming," Martha called back and hauled Lex to his feet.

"I... maybe I should give him some space..." Lex hedged, taking a step backward.

// Need you. // Clark's voice was still weak in his mind.

// Are you sure? I don't want to hurt you again. // Lex found himself unconsciously moving forward, unable to deny the plea in his mind. Clark needed him... still wanted him close... and Lex couldn't turn away from that.

// Please? // Clark begged, his body convulsing on the couch.

Lex stumbled toward the stairs, Martha's grip on his arm the only thing keeping him from falling as he hurried to his lover. He brushed past Jonathan and slid to his knees at Clark's side. // Are you alright? Please... please tell me you're okay... //

// Ground me... touch me. // Clark instructed, his fingers twitched and he tried to lift his shaky hand towards Lex.

Lex immediately wrapped himself around Clark, touching as much of the young man's clammy flesh as he could. He laid his head down on Clark's shoulder and stroked the quivering back. // I'm so-sorry. I'm so sorry, baby. //

Clark managed to crack his eyes open and croak, "Love you, you made me h-h-happy..."

"I hurt you," Lex ground out, still livid with himself for harming his lover. Clark was the one thing he was supposed to protect at all costs and now he'd hurt him. All it took was one glace at Jonathan Kent to remind Lex of just how shamed he felt.

"No... this was meant to happen," Clark whispered. "Now I'm perfect for you... I can feel it."

"You were always perfect for me," Lex whispered back, gently nuzzling Clark's neck.

"But now I've changed," Clark sighed. He smiled and lifted his head to bear his neck to Lex.

"Changed how?" Lex asked, pulling back a bit. He didn't want Clark to change. He loved the man just the way he was.

"I don't know," Clark countered, his brain still foggy. "It's still hard to think right now. Can I have a glass of water, please?"

"We're still in the barn, baby. We'll need to get you into the house for that," Lex said. "Do you think you can stand or do you need me to carry you?"

"You'd break you're back if you tried to carry me," Clark snorted softly with laughter. "I'm just a little dizzy."

"I'm stronger than I look," Lex replied as Clark started to sit up. "At least let me help you. You've been unconscious for hours."

"How long?" Clark asked as he sat up and then quickly realized he was naked under the blanket and his parents were standing right next to him. He clasped the blanket and gave Lex a pitiful look.

"Seven hours, son," Jonathan said. He reached out and squeezed Clark's shoulder, hoping to reassure his son. He also hoped the very non-threatening move would reassure one very scared young man that had so far made it a point to look at everything except him.

"Dad, it's not how it looks..." Clark offered lamely.

"Son, it's exactly how it looks," Jonathan said. "You don't have to lie to us, Clark. Besides, Lex was a bit frantic when we found you. He wasn't exactly up to making excuses at the time."

"He didn't hurt me," Clark mumbled. "Whatever happened wasn't his fault."

"We're not really sure what happened," Jonathan said, his eyes moving from his son to Lex. "But we know it wasn't Lex's fault. Now come on, let's get you into the house. Then we can try to figure this mess out."

"I want to get dressed first," Clark blurted, his cheeks burning.

"Alright," Jonathan said. "Martha, why don't you go inside and fix us all some lemonade. Lex and I'll help Clark."

"I'm fine," Clark shook his head. "You know how I heal."

Martha was about to protest when Jonathan shook his head, knowing Clark would prefer his mother not see him naked right now. "Give an old man a break," he said to Clark. "You had us pretty worried."

"But everything's fine now," Clark countered. "The bond's complete. I can feel it."

"So can I," Lex admitted. He forced himself to let go of Clark so he could go in search of the young man's clothes. He gathered them with quick, jerky movements that clearly showed how upset he still was.

"This is all I've wanted for a long time," Clark said, starring with adoration at Lex. He was surprisingly calm considering how agitated his family and lover were.

"We know," Jonathan said. "Just give us a little time to catch up to you, okay? You really scared us when you wouldn't wake up. Lex most of all."

"Oh... right. I really am sorry that I scared you, but I'm not sorry this happened."

"That's okay, son. As long as you're alright, that's all that matters." Jonathan looked up when Lex handed Clark his clothes. The young man still wouldn't look at him, instead concentrating on his lover.

// Lex, can you tell them to turn around at least? // Clark asked.

"Come on, Martha," Jonathan said, sensing his son's unease. "Lex can help Clark into the house." He took his wife by the arm and gently pulled her away. He knew she wanted to stay with her child, but Clark deserved some privacy.

Clark sighed with relief when he heard the click of the barn door behind them. He turned and smiled up at Lex. // Can I have a proper kiss now? //

Lex stared at Clark for a moment then knelt down on the floor once more. He leaned forward slowly, almost hesitantly, then brushed Clark's lips with his own. // I was so scared. //

Where Clark normally would have seized Lex's head to hold him place, Clark passively let Lex kiss him gently. // I'm sorry for scaring you. //

Lex was a bit perplexed by Clark's behaviour but let it go. His lover was obviously still out of sorts. Picking up the worn flannel shirt, Lex helped Clark into it then grabbed his jeans. He needed to get him inside the house. Once he was safe they could try to figure out what went wrong.

He was dressed in his jeans quickly enough, but they both decided to ignore his boots in favour of getting into the house sooner rather than later. As Clark got to his feet, he found that he only had to lean on Lex a little to keep his balance. // I really am all right, Lex. You do anything that you need to prove that to yourself. //

// Just need to get you inside. We can deal with the rest later. // Carefully, they made their way down the steps and out of the barn. Jonathan was waiting on the porch for them, watching as they slowly made their way across the yard.

"But I don't want to lay down," Clark protested as they climbed the front stairs, sensing Lex's plan to get him into bed for a rest.

"Lex, put him on the couch in the living room," Jonathan said as he held open the door for them. "His mom's fixing him something to eat. Maybe once we get some food into him he'll feel like his old self again."

"Food?" Clark piped up immediately. The regenerating he'd done while he was unconscious had made him absolutely starving.

Jonathan laughed, relieved to see Clark acting like his usual self. He stayed close behind them, ready to grab his son if Lex's grip faltered. He was surprised to find that he was quite proud of the way Lex was handling all this. The boy might be scared but he wasn't shying away from his responsibilities.

As they walked into the living room Clark called out, "Mom, can I have pancakes?"

"That's what I'm making," Martha replied. "Now go sit down until I've got them ready."

"And bacon... with some toast... oh and maybe some hash browns and eggs, too," Clark added like he was at some sort of drive through window. Now that the ordeal was over, he didn't see why life couldn't get back to normal... well, at least normal for Smallville.

Lex remained silent as he manoeuvred his lover onto the couch. Once he was sitting down, he pulled the afghan lying over the back down around Clark's shoulders. Satisfied that Clark was as comfortable and safe as he could make him, Lex moved back.

"Sit next to me... please?" Clark asked, looking like a wounded puppy dog.

Lex started to say something then stopped. He walked back over and sat down beside Clark, taking his lover's hand in his own. Whatever he had done, it was apparent that Clark forgave him for it. That, at least, was some consolation.

"Why are you all still looking like someone blew up one of the cows again?" Clark asked suddenly.

"Because you spent the last seven hours unconscious," Jonathan said, a bit more harshly than he intended. "Your mother and I can home to find you both naked in the loft and Lex in a panic. Your lover spent most of that time crying on your mother's shoulder, by the way. We're all just a little strung out, son."

"I... I couldn't help it..." Clark whispered. // Lex? //

"No one's blaming you, Clark," Lex said, squeezing Clark's hand tight. "Y-your father just wants you to understand why we're all a bit wigged out."

"B-but this is a good thing," Clark said determinedly.

"Nobody's saying it's not," Lex told him. "I just... I swear I never meant to hurt you. I didn't know..."

"I only knew when it started to happen," Clark clarified. "I know you didn't do this. It's part of my nature."

"You mean that'll happen every time?" Lex gasped, shaking his head. There was no way in hell he was ever doing that again. Not if Clark ended up unconscious from it. He was more than happy to spread his legs for his lover. They could simply keep on the way things were. As Mr. Kent had said, nothing had to change.

"No..." Clark explained patiently. "Our bond and the change are complete now. It'll never happen like that again."

"Are you sure?" Lex asked, voice suddenly very small.

"As sure as I am with any of this," Clark answered.

"Maybe it'd be best if we didn't do that again then," Lex suggested.

// Not likely, Lex. I sensed how much you loved it and I doubt you'll be able to stop now that you've had me. //

// I won't risk hurting you again. I can't. I... I thought I'd killed you. // Lex felt himself start to shake and gripped Clark's hand tighter. Just then Martha came in with a tray of food. Lex quickly stood up and helped her settle in next to her son.

Clark immediately grabbed a piece of toast and stuffed it into his mouth, mumbled, "Not dead, just hungry."

"Then eat," Martha said, stroking her son's head as he dove into his food. "We can talk after you've eaten. Jonathan, why don't you go and fix you and Lex some coffee while Clark eats."

"Lex should eat, too," Clark commented before eating a pancake obscenely fast.

"No, that's okay," Lex said. The very thought of food was enough to turn his stomach. He'd be lucky to get the coffee down him without sicking it back up. Rising, he headed for the kitchen before anyone could stop him. "I'll go put the coffee on."

"Mom, I really am okay," Clark sighed and then called out. "Lex... could you bring a jug of milk out, too?"

"Sure thing," Lex called back. He was standing by the kitchen sink, gripping the counter hard. He couldn't seem to stop shaking and he knew he had to before he walked back out there. Forcing himself to move, he began to go through the motions of putting on a pot of coffee and pouring Clark a glass of milk.

"Not a glass... the whole jug!" Clark's voice echoed back. Despite the fact they had shared the bond for a while, sometimes it was just eerie. Lex sighed and with a shaky hand poured the glass of milk back into the jug.

"Lex, bring a glass, too," Martha called out before turning back to her son. "You are not drinking out of the jug, Clark Kent."

"But dad does it all the time," Clark protested.

"Yes, well, I don't approve of that either," Martha said, glaring at her husband.

The normalcy of the conversation was too much for Lex as images of an unconscious and pale Clark flashed through his mind. He dropped the jug of milk on the floor. Jonathan raced into the room, pulling Lex away before his bare feet could come in contact with any of the broken glass. He could hear Martha and Clark behind him but his main concern right now was the shaking boy before him.

"I'm sorry," Lex whispered. "I didn't mean to drop it."

"It's okay," Jonathan soothed. "Mistakes happen."

Jonathan helped Lex to the nearest chair, but just as he sat down, Lex cut his foot on a stray piece of glass. Jonathan was about to tell Martha to get the first aid kit, when Clark gently pushed past him and dropped to his knees. Clark took Lex's foot into his hand and carefully removed the glass. Jonathan watched, amazed, as Clark closed his eyes and the small cut on Lex's foot healed before his eyes.

"Clark, no," Lex protested, knowing it was no use but not wanting Clark to tax himself so soon after the incident in the barn. "You're supposed to be resting."

"It's just a small cut," Clark shrugged, resisting the urge to kiss Lex's foot with his father right there. "And you needed me."

Jonathan could see how upset Lex was. He could feel him still shaking under his hand. "Clark, take your mother back into the living room. I'll clean this up then Lex and I'll be out. Alright, son?"

Clark hesitated and then looked at Lex as if for permission. "Will you be okay?"

Lex nodded, not trusting himself to speak. // Go, love. I think your dad wants... wants to talk to me. //

"I'll just finish eating then," Clark said and got up. He kissed Lex quickly on the lips and on his way out of the kitchen grabbed a box of Chex and happily ate them dry.

Martha went back into the living room with Clark, but not before sharing a rather meaningful glance with her husband. Jonathan Kent didn't need to be able to hear his wife's thoughts to understand the "fix this" in her eyes.

"This has been tough on you," Jonathan said simply.

"Yes, Sir," Lex said. "I didn't mean to hurt him. I would never do anything to hurt him. Please, you have to believe that."

"I believe you," Jonathan said. "I understand things... happen when we do stuff that not in our nature."

"I won't do it again," Lex promised. "I won't take a chance on hurting him."

"That's a good boy then," Jonathan said gruffly, patting Lex on the shoulder. "We all have to work within our limits. Your bond's complete now, so you don't have to worry about that any more."

"Yes, Sir," Lex replied. He took a deep breath and stood up. "I should get this cleaned up."

"Sit," Jonathan said firmly. "I've got shoes on. Do you really want Clark in here again?"

Lex obediently sat back down. He stared at Jonathan's back as he knelt down and carefully cleaned up the mess Lex had made. Lex thought it was really quite symbolic. Here was Jonathan Kent, yet again, cleaning up some mess Lex had made in his life. The fact that he'd probably disappointed the man to no end was the worst part, though. It ate at Lex who had finally begun to enjoy some level of acceptance from the elder Kent. "Are you angry with me?" he asked, sounding every bit like the scared boy he was.

Jonathan sighed and didn't say anything until he had the last of the glass shards cleaned up. "I won't lie to you. You deserve that. A part of me is. Any father would be mad when their child is hurt, but the rest of me understands it wasn't your fault."

"Right," Lex said, trying not to let his pain show. "Would it be alright if I stayed in the loft tonight? I don't want to chance going back to the castle alone."

"Now hold on," Jonathan said gently. "How did you take it when I hurt Clark when I only thought I was disciplining him for taking advantage of you?"

"Not very well, sir. I'm sorry about that," Lex said, not understanding why Jonathan was bringing this up now.

"But did you forgive me?" Jonathan prompted.

"Nothing to forgive. You're his father."

"And you're... the person he's chosen to spend the rest of his life with. You didn't knowingly hurt, Clark. God knows what would have happened if you hadn't completed the bond. He was getting more irrational and agitated every passing day. Haven't you noticed how much calmer he is?"

"He's just tired," Lex replied. "He'll be okay once he gets his energy back."

"Is he listening to our conversation?" Jonathan asked.

Lex tilted his head to the side, concentrating then shook his head. "No. His mom's got him engrossed in something. I think he's trying to give us some privacy."

"And he would've been whining about that only yesterday and trying to get his way," Jonathan pointed out.

"You have a point," Lex conceded. "Maybe this was what he needed... a way to complete the bond."

"He's acting like more of an adult now," Jonathan noted. "More like you."

Lex winced at the last and turned away. "I'm sorry. I know that's the last thing you ever wanted for him."

"You mean acting like a responsible man who cares about his family... no, that's what I always wanted for Clark."

Lex was stunned. It was the last thing he ever expected this man to say to him. Especially now. "I... I don't know what to say..."

"All a man can do is try their best, son," Jonathan said and grasped Lex on the shoulder.

"I try... I really do. I only want the best for him. Want to keep him safe, make him happy. That's all. I never meant to disrupt his life like this. But I just... I love him so much."

"That the only thing I want to hear, then," Jonathan said. "You just remember that and you'll be fine. All the other problems... and... complexities in your relationship will smooth themselves out."

"Boys, is everything alright?" Martha called out from the living room. Lex and Jonathan had been in the kitchen an awfully long time. She was pleased that Clark was so calm about it, but she was worried about Lex herself. The young man had been so shaken by Clark's bout of unconsciousness that she couldn't help but be concerned.

"Just having a man to man chat, Martha," Jonathan called out and then whispered with a small smirk. "Just a hint, can't let them know we know we're whipped."

"Too late," Lex whispered back, smiling for the first time in hours.

"Like father-in-law, like son-in-law," Jonathan shot back.

"Yeah. At least they don't rub it in too much," Lex mused as they headed into the living room.

"Ahhh... the foolish young," Jonathan tsked.

<><><><><><>

"Well, Lex, I guess the rumours are true," came a feminine voice from around the corner. Then Victoria Hardwicke came into view, smiling her shark's smile and looking Lex over. She frowned at the jeans he was wearing, preferring him in thousand dollar suits. She completely ignored Clark's presence in the room. All she was interested in was Lex.

"What are you doing here, Ms. Hardwicke?" Lex asked in cold tone.

"Just came to see if daddy dearest really had disinherited you," she replied. "Lex, really. I can't believe you're going to throw away a fortune over a piece of ass. Is he really that good of a fuck?"

"I'd vote yes on that," Clark called from his perch on the desk. "At least he seems to think so. He fucked me so hard the other day I passed out for hours."

"Lex, do you think you could send your little boy toy away? I'd like to have a word with you."

"You're lucky he hasn't ripped your throat out yet," Lex said, casting an eye warily back toward Clark, fully expecting to see him tense and ready to pounce. Instead, Clark was relaxed and glaring with disgust at Victoria.

"You'd never let him hurt me. Especially, a pregnant woman," she said confidently rubbing her heavily descended belly. "Now get rid of him. I have a... business... proposition for you that I think you'll find quite interesting."

Lex heard Clark sigh and watched in shock as Clark affected the personality of a spoiled rent boy. He slinked off the desk and stalked over to Lex, wrapping his arms around Lex's waist. He sighed again and complained, "Lexy, I'm bored. She's acting like I don't have a head for business. I don't have to go, do I, Sexy Lexy?"

Lex nearly choked when Clark called him Sexy Lexy but managed to keep his composure. "No, baby, you don't have to go. Anything Victoria has to say she can say in front of you."

"See..." Clark bragged, sending a smug look Victoria's way. He was enjoying this little act way too much.

"Um, did you want something, Victoria?" Lex asked, the feeling of Clark moving against him starting to arouse. "Cause if not..."

"Leeeeex..." Clark whined. "I said I was bored and now I'm horny."

"Is he always such a slut?" Victoria asked icily, turning her nose up at their display.

"That what he pays me for," Clark shot back and then pouted at Lex. "Are you going to let her talk to me like that?"

"No, I'm not," Lex said as he reluctantly moved Clark off of him. Turning his attention back to Victoria, he was pleased to see that she recognized the look on his face. "Leave now or I'll have you thrown out."

"I can't believe how far you've fallen," Victoria said in disgust.

"Neither can I," Lex said. He glanced at Clark and his eyes softened. "And he catches me every time. Leave, Victoria, and don't come back. There's nothing here for you anymore or your spawn."

"Like I'd even want to touch you after this," Victoria laughed. "And to think that I was going to propose we join forces again to take over Luthor Corp. I was even going to ask your help to raise your brother."

"Brother?" Lex asked, stunned by the news. He'd knew there was the possibility when he saw Victoria waddle in on her high heels, but he thought she had higher standards than to breed with Lionel.

"Oh... didn't I tell you?" Victoria scoffed. "I'm going to have Lionel Junior."

"Get out," Lex said softly, the anger in his voice causing Victoria to take a step back. "I don't want anything to do with you or my father or... or your child. Just get out."

"Pity Lex," she took one last shot. "You could have raised him for all I cared as long as I got control of the majority of the stock of Luthor Corp. Now we'll just tell him his brother's a fag who didn't bother to know him."

"Tell him anything you want," Lex replied. "He's not my brother anyway. I'm nothing to Lionel now and he's nothing to me."

"Good bye, Lex," Victoria snarled as she turned and walked out the door. "Hope your boy toy was worth it."

"More than you'll ever know," he whispered as she slammed the door behind her. Lex turned back to Clark and sighed at the concerned look on his lover's face.

"It's not the baby's fault who his parents are..." Clark hedged. "And he'd still be your brother."

"Half brother," Lex corrected absently. He looked away, worried. He knew he had to make Clark aware of the possibilities but he wasn't sure how to start. His lover trusted him so much. He hated the thought of hurting him in any way.

"Neither of us have any brothers or sisters, Lex..." Clark tried again. "If we ever had kids, he'd be their only family."

"Clark... " Lex trailed off. He took a deep breath and looked his lover in the eye. "There's something we need to talk about."

"Sure..." Clark agreed quickly. Maybe Lex didn't want to talk about this now. "Whatever you want to."

"Let's sit down," Lex said as he took Clark's arm and guided him over to the sofa. Once they were both sitting he turned slightly to face his lover and took his hand. "Clark... you need to know... there's a chance... a chance that Victoria's baby is mine."

Clark blinked and started a Lex for a moment. // Then it would be your baby and not hers. //

"Technically I think it'd still be hers, too," Lex said, his mind too upset to speak over the bond. "I... I thought you should know. I'm sorry."

"No..." Clark answered eerily calm. Lex had expected him to blow up at the reminder of his affair with Victoria. "It would be your baby. She's no kind of mother."

"Maybe not, but I'm not sure the courts would agree with you," Lex said. "And it sounds like she and Lionel are determined to raise the child as their own regardless of who the father really is. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to simply let it go. Let them have the child and go on their way. I'll do it, if that's what you want."

"It doesn't matter if it's your sibling or child, you have a responsibility not to let it be raised by that bastard. They'd have your blood," Clark growled, apparently his protectiveness of Lex extended to his offspring, too.

"You need to think about this, Clark," Lex cautioned. "Fighting them on this will prove extremely difficult at best. And do you really want the responsibility of a child at sixteen?"

"Lex... it'd be your baby," Clark sighed in exasperation.

"Come on, let's get what we came for and get out of here," Lex said, suddenly eager to put some distance between them and anything Luthor. "I want to talk to your folks before we make any decisions."

"I won't back down on this," Clark said firmly. "I haven't changed that much and you wouldn't want me to anyway."

"What do you mean by changed?" Lex demanded suddenly. He'd known something was different with his lover ever since the incident in the barn. He'd shied away from confronting Clark about it but now he wanted to know.

"I don't think now's a good time, Lex," Clark countered. "I can tell you want to get out of here and this place is giving me the creeps. I swear the walls have ears."

"Come on," Lex said, standing up abruptly. God, he was such a fucking idiot. Of course the walls had ears. How else would Daddy Dearest have known that Lex was having an affair with Clark?

"Get the things you want," Clark added. "We can always come back. You said this place was in your mother's name..."

"It was a wedding present from my father," Lex snorted.

"Great," Clark said, on guard himself now. They made quick work of gathering the things Lex needed the most and hurried out the door. They piled into the Porsche and made a rather hasty exit. The Porsche was his favourite and Lex would be damned before he left it here for his father to get his hands on.

Halfway back to the Kent farm Clark said, "I don't see why you're so upset about the change." He wanted to have this conversation in private.

Lex didn't reply. Instead he pulled the car over and parked on the side of the road. He did not want to have this conversation with Clark doing sixty miles an hour down the road. "I didn't want you to change," Lex tried to explain. "There was no need. I love you just the way you are. I don't like the idea of the bond changing you into something you're not. But maybe if I understood exactly what happened... what changed... I wouldn't be so upset about it."

"I grew up, Lex," Clark shrugged. "Everything doesn't feel like... like such a big drama anymore. And I can tell that I became closer to you. That I became more like you and more what you've always wanted."

"You're what I've always wanted, Clark," Lex said, exasperated. "I didn't want you to change for me. I didn't want you to become something else to try to please me. That isn't right."

"It's not like I had a choice," Clark said back just as exasperated.

"I know," Lex said, turning his head to stare out the window. "That's the thing that eats at me the most. You never had a choice in this. When I fucked you... it took away any options you had left."

"But I needed this, Lex," Clark argued. "Walking around with half a bond was like walking around with only half my soul. I would have been a kid the rest of my life. I would have been incomplete... unbalanced."

"Alright," Lex relented. If Clark truly thought this was a good thing then Lex wasn't going to try to change his mind. There was nothing to be done for it anyway. Lex had to be extra vigilant now, though. Clark deferred to him more than ever and he could easily abuse that without even realizing it. That was something he never wanted to do.

"I would never leave you," Clark said seriously. "Even if you abused me... but I know you'll never do that."

Lex closed his eyes and willed his traitorous mind to silence. Clark had just handed him the power to break him and Lex knew that the Luthor in him could do it. The fact that it would break him, too, was some small consolation, but not nearly enough.

"I love your darker side, too," Clark whispered, his hand slipping onto Lex's thigh. "It's part of you. And I love that the rest of you controls it. I know you would never do that to me."

"Clark," Lex moaned, his libido waking up at the first touch of Clark's hand on his thigh. "You really shouldn't push me. You have no idea the things I'm capable of. Some of the things I've dreamed about."

"Don't I?" Clark said, his hand shifting to cover Lex's crotch. "That wasn't me in the barn? Or that wasn't me sharing ever thought and memory you've ever had only hours ago?"

"Oh God," Lex hissed, bucking up against Clark's hand. "Do you... do you want to know my favourite fantasy?"

"I know it already," Clark whispered, "But I want to hear you say it."

"You're in the cornfield," Lex said as Clark rubbed him through his pants. "You're strung up on that damn cross. Only this time you're naked. And this time, I don't cut you down."

"Tell me what you do," Clark prompted, undoing Lex's pants and slipping his hand inside.

"Oh fuck... I... I fuck you," Lex gasped out. "I move behind you. You can't see who it is. You're begging for help. The necklace, it's keeping you helpless and I move up close behind you. When you feel my hands on your ass you start to struggle but you're so weak you can hardly move. That's when I fuck you. Long and hard. As rough as I can make it."

Clark tightened his grip on Lex's cock. "Even if I hadn't known it was you I would have bonded with you in that moment. Would you have liked that, Lex? Tying me to you no matter what?"

"Yes..." Lex replied, letting the dark fantasy take over. He could almost feel what it would have been like. Clark so tight on his cock it hurt. The boy struggling weakly to get away as Lex took what he wanted regardless of the cost. The knowledge that it would have bound Clark to him forever made it even sweeter. He could imagine Clark crawling after him when it was done begging for even a scrap of affection.

"It's just a fantasy, but it feeds the dark part of you. Even he should get a chance to come out and play," Clark purred.

"Yeah, but when he comes out I have a hell of a time reigning him back in," Lex said. "Take right now for instance. Do you have any idea how bad I want to bend you over the hood of this car and rough fuck you?"

Clark quickly surveyed the country. So what if they were in the middle of nowhere in broad daylight. Lex wanted him, Lex got him. "Get out of the car."

"No," Lex said shaking his head. "If I try to fuck you in the state I'm in I'll hurt you."

"You can't hurt me," Clark reminded his lover.

"Just because I can't do any physical damage doesn't mean I can't hurt you," Lex said. "Don't you remember the barn? I hurt you plenty then and I never had to touch you. I don't want to do that, Clark. I'd rather drive back home with a hard-on."

"Lex... please?" Clark asked simply. "I'll beg if I have to."

"Clark..." Lex hissed, his cock throbbing at his lover's submissiveness. He could see his own desire mirrored in Clark's eyes and it was too much for Lex. Maybe Clark needed to give him this as much as he needed to take it. Lex hoped so because if not, he could end up seriously fucking things up here. "Once we step out of this car you will do exactly as I say. If things get to be too much say... turnip... and everything will stop. Otherwise, no matter what you say I'll do whatever the hell I want."

"Turnip?" Clark said, making a face and then quickly added. "Right won't need to say that again. Whatever you want, I want, Lex."

"We'll see," Lex replied non-committally as he opened the door. "Get out of the car, Clark."

Clark got out the car and then asked quietly. "Do you want me to tell you if anyone's coming?"

Lex thought about this for a moment, mulling it over in his head. "Yes and tell me who it is as soon as you can tell," Lex said. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop. On the contrary, depending on who it is I might need to make sure you're on display just right before they get here."

"Yes, Lex," Clark nodded. A wave of self-disgust ran through his mind at the way he'd acted last time Lex had needed this. He'd hadn't been able to handle it, even after he'd betrayed his lover by talking to Lana. It would serve him right to have Lana come down the road and see Lex fucking him against the Porsche. Hell, it would even be fitting if his own father saw it if that's what Lex wanted.

"Clark, I need your word that you'll use your safe word if things get to be too much," Lex said, easily picking up on all the emotions tumbling around inside his lover. He wanted this but not at Clark's expense. If his lover couldn't handle it then they simply wouldn't do it.

"This can't be too much," Clark countered. "You need this."

"If you can't give me your word on this then I'll just have to monitor you and make my own decisions if I think you can't handle something," Lex said. "Tell me now if that's the way you want it. It doesn't matter to me but I'm not going to let you get hurt just to give me something you think I need."

"I want whatever you want," Clark repeated.

"Alright," Lex said. He realized then that Clark simply did not understand how intense something like this could get. Lex would have to keep a close eye on him. With the bond, that wouldn't be too hard. "Take off your clothes, get on your knees and put your hands behind your back. I don't have any of the meteor rocks handy so I'm going to have to trust you to control your strength."

"Lex?" Clark asked uncertainly, starting to undo his shirt.

"Yes?"

"You wouldn't have to use the meteor rock on me, you know," Clark said softly as he pulled off his shirt. "I wouldn't fight back."

"You might," Lex mused. "You have no idea what this is like. How hard this can be to accept. But I trust you. Some other time we'll use the meteor rock so you can struggle all you like."

"But it hurts..." Clark whispered and then snapped his mouth shut. He remembered the fantasy and that some part of Lex wanted this to hurt.

Love and affection flowed over the bond, pushing at Clark's doubts until they faded. // I would never hurt you like that. Fantasy, love. That's all. //

// I'm sorry for doubting you... guess I'm not as completely changed as I hoped. //

"I don't want you changed," Lex sighed. "And you have nothing to be sorry for. This is all very new to you. I've played these games before but even so, I was trying to make you nervous. I'm honoured that you trust me as much as you do."

Clark nodded and pulled the rest of his clothes off. He knelt smoothly and then put his hand behind his back like Lex had told him.

"Normally, I like making my subs keep their arms by their sides on their own. For you, though, I think I want to see you bound," Lex said as he picked up Clark's belt and wound it around his wrists. "I want you to feel the leather as it constantly reminds you of your place. You do know what your place is, don't you, lover?"

"To love you," Clark answered. He hoped that was the right answer. When he'd heard Lex mention his other subs, he'd wanted to scream in denial. No one could love and take care of Lex like he could.

Lex chuckled. It was so easy to forget how young and innocent Clark was at times. "That, is your privilege," Lex said, running his gloved hand over Clark's face lightly. He'd slipped the gloves on after binding Clark's wrists, knowing first hand how erotic the feel of leather was. "Your place is kneeling at my feet. Remember that, Clark. There will be a test later."

"You said privilege... you won't take it away, will you?" Clark asked quickly.

"No," Lex said, truthfully. Normally, he would have dangled that carrot in front of his sub's face, but he couldn't do that to Clark. "You're my mate. What we have is forever. But there are other things I can do if you displease me. Do you believe me, Clark?"

Clark visibly relaxed and answered without an once of fear, "Yes, I believe you."

"Good boy," Lex said. "I wish we could do this right. Middle of the night in that same cornfield. I'd even get the quarterback to help me. Just to keep you on your toes. But I guess we'll have to make do with what we've got for now."

Clark tensed again. He'd thought there was no punishment he couldn't face as long as Lex promised to love him. He was on the edge of panicking and unconsciously probed Lex with the bond to see if he would ever follow through with that threat.

Lex could feel Clark's sudden fear spiking along their connection and realized his mistake. He was Clark's first, and as far as Lex was concerned, would be his only lover. Adding Whitney into the mix, even as a threat, had seriously frightened him. Time for damage control. "Of course, I'd have to kill him when it was over," Lex said casually. "No one touches you and lives, but me."

"You'd kill for me?" Clark gasped.

"Don't sound so shocked," Lex said. "There is nothing I would not do for you, Clark. Nothing. Kill. Die. Whatever. You are my world. And I will protect you regardless of the cost."

"Tell me how to please you," Clark suddenly begged.

Lex regarded Clark for a moment, then moved to sit down on the hood of the car. He kept his legs open, spread wide in invitation and smiled at the look of longing on the young man's face. Reaching down, he slowly undid his zipper and freed his erection. "Crawl to me and suck me," Lex commanded, lightly stroking himself as he did so.

Clark starting to crawl towards Lex on his knees, careful not to snap the bindings holding his arms behind his back. In this moment that should have caused embarrassment, he was happy. Happier for giving Lex want he wanted. He crawled forward, not moving too quickly, sensing Lex wanted a show. He was halfway there when he felt his knees start to hover off of the gravel. He concentrated and then plopped down onto the ground again. Then he saw Lex scrape his fingernail along the head of his cock and he became distracted again. He felt himself hover about two inches above the ground and didn't care.

Lex watched as Clark started to hover, careful to remain silent. He didn't want to break his lover's concentration, especially when he wasn't certain just what Clark was trying to do. Or if he was even consciously doing anything.

// I can't control it. // Clark complained, his eyes still riveted on Lex's movement.

// Stop trying. Just let it happen. // Lex suggested, realizing their Dom/sub game was over. Clark certainly picked the damnedest times to start developing new powers.

"No..." Clark complained, his petulance from before the change seeping in. Clark moved forward and, in a flash, he was in front of Lex. He latched onto Lex's cock, now hovering even higher off the ground. He was about to loose his balance and it didn't take much to snap his bonds and grab onto Lex's hips. He continued to suck and soon he was actually levitating both of them several feet off the ground.

"Clark, put us down. Now!" Lex shouted, surprised at suddenly finding himself airborne.

Lex was saying he wanted to be put down, but his body and the bond were saying something else. Clark continued to suck, now deep throating Lex in the hope of distracting him as they floated even higher.

Lex knew that Clark wasn't listening to him and realized he had two choices. He could try to make Clark put them down which would probably end up injuring one or both of them. Or he could try to speed things up and pray Clark didn't accidentally bite his dick off if they fell. Since he was the only one likely to get hurt in the second scenario, Lex went with it and simply hung on while Clark did what he wanted.

Clark started to suck harder, excited by the feeling of no ground beneath him. It somehow felt right. Like his subconscious remembered the sensation of weightless from his foggy memory and associated it with happiness. Happiness for him right now was completely associated with Lex and it seems like a logical combination at the moment.

For his part, Lex closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on the feeling of Clark's mouth. He tried to block out thoughts of how high in the air they might be or what might happen if Clark suddenly lost control of his new power and they plummeted to the ground. He'd never cum if he thought about that and Lex knew that Clark had no intention of letting him go until he'd brought Lex to orgasm.

Clark felt himself floating higher and he sucked harder, tightening his grip on Lex. He sent all his love and excitement through the bond... now this, this was one of his fantasies. Lex let the feelings wash over him, knowing they would help push him toward release. He could feel his body reacting to Clark and let it go. He told his conscious mind to shut the hell up and just go along for the ride for once as he let his young lover do as he would.

// Cum... please, cum. // Clark begged mentally.

Clark's soft words, whispering along his mind, were the final push. With a sigh, Lex came in his lover's mouth, holding on tight as he did so just in case. Clark wasn't exactly known for keeping his concentration in times like this.

Clark swallowed Lex's cum and let the cock slip from his mouth. Lex cried out when he felt Clark's grip loosen, but they didn't plummet to the ground, instead Lex only slipped down Clark's body until they were face to face. Lex was shaking and trying not to cling to Clark but it was difficult. At any moment he expected to go plummeting to the ground. He wasn't sure how high up they were but he knew it was high enough that he wouldn't escape the fall unscathed.

// You always said you wanted to fly. // Clark beamed at him and cautiously floated a little higher. This was the first time he'd ever really consciously controlled this power. It was more like flying instead of merely floating now.

Lex didn't respond. He was too busy squeezing his eyes shut and holding on to worry about anything else. He was also scared to death that somebody was going to see them. It would be one thing to get caught having sex with Clark. It would be quite another to get caught flying through the air with Clark.

// Flying through the air with a naked Clark. // Clark corrected Lex fondly. // Now stop being a wuss and open your eyes. //

Lex did as he was told without thinking and immediately wished he hadn't. He wasn't exactly afraid of heights but normally there was at least something under his feet. He actually felt like he was going to throw up and he clenched his jaw almost to the point of cracking his teeth.

// That feeling will pass. // Clark assured him from experience and tried something new. For the first time he just didn't hover in one spot, he began to move a little to the right.

// Clark... please... // Lex begged, unable to take any more. The feeling of being totally out of control was overwhelming.

Clark just wanted to hold onto Lex and show him what it was like to be him for a moment. Show him what it was like to have powers no other human did. But the minute Lex said those words in his head, he pushed his own desires aside and carefully lowered them both to the ground. The moment Lex's feet were flat on the gravel road, he let go and backed away guilty, still hovering a few inches off the ground, with his head hung. "I'm sorry... I... I ruined it and I only wanted to... I mean... I had no right to do that."

"No, no," Lex said, shaking his head as he breathed deeply to calm his jangling nerves. "You didn't do anything wrong. Guess I'm a little more afraid of heights than I realized." The last was said with a smile, albeit a forced one, as he tried to reassure his lover. The last thing he wanted was Clark upset right now.

"I only wanted to share it with you," Clark said miserably. "And all did was ruin your fantasy. I didn't change enough, Lex. I'm still selfish."

"Don't be silly," Lex said. "I'm glad you shared that with me. I'd like to try it again sometime though maybe under a bit more controlled conditions. And you didn't ruin anything. You got me off, right?"

"But it wasn't the way you wanted," Clark argued, his emotions flaring. He started to float a little higher, even though he didn't want to. Apparently, he could only control this if he was calm.

"Take a deep breath and concentrate," Lex said when he saw Clark start to lose control. "I wanted you, I got you. The rest is all semantics. Don't worry about it."

He recognized the tactics Lex used to usually calm him down and it made him feel even more miserable. He was supposed to be grown up now. His body was that of an adult and his mind felt more mature, yet Lex was having to rescue and coddle him again. As his self-pity flared, the floating ability cut off abruptly and Clark fell to the ground hard, landing on his ass.

"Clark!" Lex cried out and rushed to his side. "Christ... are you alright?" He began frantically checking the naked boy over, forgetting in his panic that Clark was invulnerable.

"I can't break," Clark muttered, passively letting Lex check him over. "But you were right, I could have hurt you. I won't do that again."

"Hush now," Lex scolded. "You would never hurt me. Even accidentally. If I'd still been in your arms you never would have fallen. Clark, you know, just because the bond's complete now that doesn't mean I expect you to go from a sixteen year old to a thirty year old overnight."

"But you deserve someone on your own level. I drag you down enough already."

"You don't drag me down," Lex said, giving Clark a shake as he did. "You pull me up. Every chance you get you pull me up. For the first time in my life I can stand on my own two feet and be proud of the man I am and that's all because of you."

Clark didn't answer, instead cocking his head to the side and listening. "Someone's coming," he said quietly. "Do you want me to get dressed?"

"Can you tell who it is?" Lex asked.

"It's dad. He's muttering to himself again," Clark noted as he heard his dad in the middle of a tirade about damn kids. "Guess we were gone too long."

"Better get dressed then," Lex said. "I don't think he's quite ready to catch us in the act yet. Especially by the side of the road in broad daylight."

Clark wondered who it would have to be to make Lex keep him naked. He could have prodded the bond, instead he got up and got dressed with super human speed.

"Do you really want to know?" Lex asked as they got back into the car.

"I probably won't like the answer," Clark shook his head. "It's your right, Lex. I won't question you."

"There are only two people I would have kept you naked for," Lex said, ignoring Clark's slide back toward submissiveness. "They're the two people I most want to know that you belong to me now. Can you guess who they are?"

"Your father and Lana," Clark answered dutifully.

"One out of two," Lex mused. "Not bad. Why would you think I'd want my father to be one of them?"

"Because you want him to know you can do anything to me, in front of anyone and I won't leave you?" Clark mumbled, wanting to hide in the nearest cornfield.

"Personally, I don't want my father seeing you in anything less than half a dozen layers, one of which being a goose down parka. The less he sees of you the better I'll feel," Lex said with a shudder. "He has the very bad habit of seducing my lovers. The fact that you're male wouldn't deter him in the least so I'd prefer to keep as much distance between you two as possible."

"He could never seduce me," Clark scoffed, the image making him physically ill. "I'd snap his neck before I let him touch me that way."

"Good," Lex said. "But remember, Clark, he can be sneaky. He wouldn't be foolish enough to simply come onto you. He'd probably try to use me, use your feelings for me, against you. Because you can't tell me that if he threatened my life you wouldn't do exactly what he wanted to keep me safe."

"I wouldn't be able to do it," Clark shook his head. "I can't get it up for anyone but you."

"You don't have to get it up for him to fuck you, lover," Lex replied. "I know you wouldn't want to. I know it would probably kill you inside. But I also know you'd do it, if you thought it was the only way to protect me. Just like I'd do the same for you. Never underestimate Lionel, Clark. I did and it nearly cost me my balls."

Before Clark could answer a cloud of dust billowed around them as the Kent's blue truck spun to a stop. Jonathan jumped out and slammed the door behind him. "Where in the hell have you boys been?" he demanded, taking quick inventory of the scene before him.

"We had a little run in with Victoria at the castle," Lex explained. "We pulled over to talk about it. Guess we lost track of the time. Sorry, Sir."

"I thought something had happened," Jonathan said gruffly. He never should have let them go unescorted back to the mansion. Not where Lionel Luthor's tentacles could get at them.

"We're okay," Lex said, sensing Jonathan's worry. "But we do need to talk to you and mom about something."

"I'll follow you home," Jonathan nodded curtly. "Just drive at a reasonable speed, Lex."

"Yes, Sir," Lex laughed. He leaned over and gave Clark a quick kiss before putting the car into gear and heading home. It was still strange to think of the Kent farm as home, but Lex supposed he would get used to it eventually. Especially now that they had a decent bed to sleep in.

"You never said who the other person was," Clark said quietly when they were about a two miles from home.

"Victoria," Lex said, chuckling. "Maybe then the stupid bitch would finally buy a clue."

"Lex... but she's pregnant. You can't do that it front of a pregnant woman."

Lex tried not to run off the road as he laughed. "Number one, I wouldn't put it past her to lie about the baby's parentage. Could be fathered by some limo driver for all we know, she's quite a slut after all. Number two, pregnant women do still have sex, Clark. Sometimes more than non-pregnant ones."

"I so do not want to here this," Clark complained, slumping his seat. He continued dismissively, "You're a scientist. Once Lex Junior is born, you can do a DNA test. Then we can get custody and it won't matter who she slept with or when."

"We are not calling this child Lex Junior. And we can do the test before she ever gives birth. All we have to do is get her to agree to it," Lex said.

"I can't see that happening," Clark added. "We'll just get Lex Junior after he or she is born and prove you're the daddy."

Lex could see trying to reason with Clark about this was a lost cause. He only hoped his parents would have better luck making Clark understand. Even if the child was his, it was doubtful that either Victoria or Lionel would be in any hurry to relinquish it. Lionel was in need of a new heir, after all. Child or grandchild, he really didn't think it would matter to Lionel.

Clark got out of the car and grabbed the suitcases filled with Lex's clothes that'd he'd called 'absolutely essential'. And this was only a teeny tiny fraction of his lover's wardrobe. "Lex, I swear you just date me so you'll have some one who can carry your luggage."

"Nah, I just date you for your incredibly talented mouth," Lex quipped. "I can hire guys to carry my luggage."

"And have them sneaking peeks at your pretty purple boxers? I think not," Clark deadpanned back.

"We seriously need to talk about this boxer fetish of yours," Lex laughed. He followed Clark inside the house and up to their room. He had Clark set the suitcases in the closet for now. He could unpack them later. Right now, they needed to let Clark's folks know about the latest development in the soap opera that Lex's life had become.

// You can always go commando. // Clark commented as they walked into the living room where Martha had obviously been pacing nervously.

"Boys, is everything okay?" she asked when they walked into the kitchen. "Jonathan said he found you parked by the side of the road. We should never have let you go back there alone."

"We're fine, mom," Clark assured you. "We just stopped to have a talk."

"Sorry, honey," she grinned sheepishly. "We were just worried. I still have nightmares about... that night. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to Lex because we weren't careful enough."

"We could always give them a curfew," Jonathan said in a serious tone.

"Ah yes, but then you run the risk of us having to entertain ourselves inside the house," Lex came back, for once willing to joke along with Jonathan.

"I could always make you stand in separate corners if you misbehave," Jonathan said with a straight face, but his eyes were twinkling.

"Oh no," Lex said in mock horror. "I'm not staying in the same house with him if you do that. I'll sleep in the barn. You can deal with The Pout."

"I don't pout," Clark whined and bit his bottom lip to stop it from jutting out.

"We're just teasing you, love," Lex said, taking Clark's hand and leading him to the table.

"Still don't pout," Clark grumbled, his lip sneaking out a little.

Martha and Jonathan laughed as they joined the boys at the table. Even with the joking they could tell Lex had something serious he wanted to talk about. Something had obviously happened at the castle.

"Martha... Jonathan..." Lex started formally and then coughed. "Mom... Dad... I have something to tell you that affects all of us."

"Victoria's pregnant and it might be Lex's," Clark burst in wanting to get it over with already. Jonathan's and Martha's jaws dropped. Clark smiled nervously. "How do you feel about being grandparents?"

"Are you sure?" Martha asked, hoping that it was all some sort of bizarre mistake. How in the hell was a person supposed to react to the news that their son's gay lover might have gotten a girl pregnant?

Lex sighed. "She's pregnant. There's a chance the baby could be mine... there's also a chance it could be my half-brother."

"You're saying the child could be Lionel's?" Jonathan asked in disbelief. Victoria and Lex had made quite a few heads turn in Smallville. If Lionel was a candidate for being the child's father then that meant he had purposely slept with his son's girlfriend. The thought made Jonathan's stomach clench.

"He likes to steal my lovers," Lex informed them. "I was kindly provided with visuals on this one, too."

"Oh sweetie," Martha said as he reached across the table to cover Lex's hands with her own. "I'm so sorry."

"They don't matter," Lex said in a stiff voice. "Only Clark matters now and your son has gotten it into his head that he wants us to raise this child."

"Well, it'd be a hell of a lot better than Lionel Luthor raising it," Jonathan said, a bit harsher than he intended.

"Do you think I want any child to live like I did?" Lex shot back. "I'm sorry. I just don't want to risk Clark if we piss off Lionel."

"If the child is yours can't you simply have a paternity test done?" Martha asked. "Then you can get custody through the courts."

"Going through the regular channels won't work with Lionel," Lex shook his head. "If we do that, you might as well consider the child lost now."

"So what do we do?" Martha asked. She couldn't stand the thought of an innocent child being left in the care of a man who had tried to mutilate his own son. There had to be something they could do. Especially if the child did turn out to be Lex's.

"We play his game. We blackmail him."

"Blackmailing Lionel Luthor is not a good idea," Jonathan said. "I don't want to see you boys get hurt. I hate to say this, but maybe the best thing to do is let it go."

"Not if it's Lex's baby," Clark said firmly.

"Even if Lex is the father, the best thing for everyone might be to let it go," Jonathan tried to reason.

"No," Clark raised his voice. "We're not letting this go. You don't understand..."

"It was just a suggestion," Lex said, trying to mollify his agitated lover. "If you want me to fight for this child, I will. But you have to understand that Lionel will fight back. And it won't just be you and I in the crossfire."

"Lex... this could be our only chance at having a child," Clark said in a defeated tone. "I don't want to put my parents in danger..."

"Is that why you're so set about this?" Lex asked, surprised and relieved. "Clark, we can have a child any time we want to. There are a number of surrogate mother programs. And none of them would involve me having any sort of intimate contact with the birth mother. If that's all this is..."

"I couldn't live knowing we'd left a kid of yours to be raised by Lionel," Clark said emotionally. "What if he turned out to be gay? Lionel could try and do to him what he did you... and there'd be no one to stop that bastard..."

Lex sighed. Clark wasn't going to let this go regardless of the risks to himself and those they cared about. He looked at the Kents and realized that they agreed with their son. Mostly, anyway. Jonathan still had some reservations but if they wanted to fight for this child he would stand behind them. Lex could only hope it didn't end up getting the man killed.

"It's part of you, Lex," Clark tried desperately to explain again. "I can't let any part of you get hurt."

"It's okay, baby. If it's what you want, then I'll move heaven and earth to see that it happens," Lex said. "The first thing we have to do is get enough leverage to force Lionel and Victoria into doing what we want. That'll be easy with Vic. She'll get the test done just to have some leverage over me and Lionel. The hard part comes when we try to strong arm him."

"Can't you do something to his company?" Clark suggested. "That seems to mean the world to him."

"I could have," Lex said. "Before he disowned me. Now..." He trailed off suddenly before a huge grin broke out over his face. "No, Clark. I can't do a damn thing to his company. But I've got a friend that can."

"Huh?" Clark grunted. "What kind of friend?"

"A very old and rich one," Lex laughed. "Remember how I told you I could always go to work for Bruce at Wayne Enterprises if I had to? Well, I'm pretty sure if I explain things to him he'll help me out."

// Just how much of an 'old friend' is he? //

// Jealous? // Lex asked, ignoring the question. He always enjoyed it when Clark got possessive of him.

// Yes. // Clark confirmed. // Now answer the question. //

// He's a very old friend. We've known each other since we were kids. He knows more about me than anyone. Except you now. //

// For his sake, he'd better be straight. Of course you could make just about anyone gay... //

"I think Bruce definitely falls into the bi category," Lex laughed, switching back to speaking out loud so Martha and Jonathan could hear. "But we've never been lovers. We're just good friends. Okay?"

"I'll be watching him," Clark grumbled.

"There's no need," Lex said gently as he stroked Clark's face. "Bruce Wayne is just a friend. God Clark, don't you get it. No man compares to you. No one on this earth ever will."

"I trust you, Lex," Clark said, leaning into the touch. "I just don't trust them."

"I know. I feel the same way. Sometimes it's all I can do not to tell Chloe to get her hands off of you." Lex leaned forward and kissed Clark lightly, all too aware of his parents watching. "First things first, though. In a day or so I'll need to call Victoria and arrange for the test. Are you going to be alright with that?"

"I'm fine," Clark said out loud but then added mentally. // That doesn't mean your boy toy won't be making an appearance. //

// Of course. But there may come a time when you have to wait in the background. She's not going to want you there and I have to make her happy. At least until we get the testing done anyway. //

"When it comes to the baby, I can be reasonable," Clark decided. "The bond wouldn't let me hurt either of you."

"Clark..." Lex began then had to start again. "I need to ask you something and I want you to think about it very carefully." Another deep breath and Lex was diving in again. "Are you really sure you're ready to raise a child? It's a hell of a lot of hard work. Ask your parents if you don't believe me. You're sixteen years old, baby. Are you sure you want to tie yourself down like that for a child that isn't even your own?"

"It's yours... that's the same thing to me," Clark answered calmly.

Lex sighed. Clark just wasn't listening to him. "Don't get me wrong. I'm the first one to think a man should own up to his responsibilities. But I don't want to rob you of your youth. You should be having fun, partying, seeing your friends. Not end up saddled with a child. That's no kind of life for you."

"He's right, sweetie," Martha cut in. "But he won't be leaving school or completely loosing his social life, will he, Lex? I mean, you're going to be at home taking care of the baby if it turns out to be yours and you get custody."

"He will not be leaving school," Lex said sternly. "High school or college. I can take care of the baby while he's in school and when he needs to study and when he just wants to go out with his friends. I mean, if Mr. Kent can do it than it can't be that hard, can it?"

"I never actually did it..." Jonathan coughed in embarrassment. "Clark was already out of diapers when we got him."

"Ah," Lex said. "Well, I'm sure it can't be that hard. I can manage and if I can't, I can always hire a nanny."

"You will not hire a nanny," Martha put her foot down. "You will learn how to change a dirty diaper and like it, young man."

"Yes, ma'am," Lex laughed. "But that means you're going to have to show me how to do all of this stuff because I have no idea where to even begin."

"How do you feel about being grandparents?" Clark cut in, before his mother could answer.

Martha and Jonathan looked at each other then at their son. "Surprised, I guess," Jonathan said after a moment. "After all, we're not really sure if you can even have kids, son. And then once you started seeing Lex, well..."

"See... this could be our only chance," Clark confirmed again. "It'll all work out for the best. Grandma was a mom at my age and you turned out just fine."

"Clark..." Lex began then fell silent. He was sure Clark was ready for this, or at least thought he was. Lex, on the other hand, was not. He wasn't ready to become a father. He wasn't ready for the responsibility or the sacrifices involved. What he desired in all this didn't really seem to matter. And while that hurt, he was still man enough to own up to his responsibilities.

Clark's face darkened. // Then you should have kept your dick in your pants. //

Lex stared at his lover in shock. Yes, maybe he should have kept his dick in his pants but it was a little late for that now. "Excuse me," he said quietly as he extricated himself from the table. He headed for the front door, just needing some space.

Clark got up and followed him. // Would you rather she have had an abortion? // Clark demanded suddenly.

"No, I wouldn't rather she had an abortion," Lex said, his back to his lover as he paused at the door. "I'm going to go for a walk. I'll be back in a little while."

"No," Clark said firmly. "We're going to talk this out now."

"What's left to talk about?" Lex asked, turning back around. "I'm doing what you want, aren't I?"

"I don't want to force you into fatherhood," Clark said. "Maybe if we get the baby, maybe it would be best to ask mom and dad to raise it."

"You're parents are in their forties, Clark," Lex said, shaking his head. "While that's not old by anyone's standards, asking them to raise an infant is a lot. I've burdened them enough with the fallout from my life. I won't ask them to take this on, too. As you said, I should have kept my dick in my pants if I wasn't ready to face the consequences."

"Then we can always give it up to someone else," Clark whispered, his heart being torn out of his chest.

"No," Lex said. "I'm not going to give the child away to strangers. You may have hit the adoption lottery with the Kents but I'm not taking that kind of chance. If the child is mine, I'll raise it myself."

"I know what it feels like to be unwanted, Lex... it's no way for a child to live... you have to be certain. I just... just feel like I'm pushing you."

"You are," Lex admitted then rushed on before Clark could react. "But it's only because you want me to do the right thing. I'll do right by the kid if it's mine, Clark. That's the most I can promise you."

"And what if it's not yours... what if it's a baby brother or sister?"

"Then I'll pity him or her but there's not much else I can do," Lex said, trying to honest. "Lionel will never allow me near his heir. Not as long as we're together."

"Why does life have to be so complicated?" Clark asked forlornly.

"I don't know," Lex replied. "I've been asking myself that for years. I still haven't figured it out."

"If life was fair you wouldn't be tied down to me and worrying about this right now."

"I'm going for a walk. You can walk with me or you can wait here," Lex said. He turned and walked out the door, knowing Clark would either follow him or not. He simply could not deal with a bout of teen-aged angst right now. He had enough on his mind as it was with Lionel and the baby. He didn't need this, too.

Clark didn't follow Lex. He'd felt guilty enough as it was already. He watched Lex walk into the yard and turned into the living room. His voice cracked when he called out, "Mom?"

Jonathan and Martha quickly went to their son. "It'll be okay, honey," his mother crooned as she pulled him into a hug. "This is a lot for Lex to take in. Just give him a little time."

"I'll go after him," Jonathan said, patting his son on the back. "I don't want to leave either one of you alone right now."

"Mom... I'm still not mature enough for him..." Clark babbled. "I tried."

"You're doing just fine," she told him. "Nobody expects you to grow up overnight. Not even Lex. And I think you're being very mature. I can't stand the thought of Lex's baby growing up under Lionel Luthor any more than you can. He'll do the right thing. We just have to believe in him."

"I think something's wrong with me," Clark complained. "I think I was supposed to grow up over night. That's what it felt like... but now I'm the one acting like a baby when I need to be there for Lex."

"You are being there for Lex. Right now, you're giving him what he needs... a little space to get his head together in. If we weren't so worried about both of you, Jonathan wouldn't have gone after him. He just needs some time. Now come on, let's go sit on the porch and wait for them. Okay?"

"Can I have some cookies while we wait?" Clark asked, his stomach churning and his body still reeling from his experiment with flying.

"Of course," Martha laughed. Together they raided the kitchen then went outside to wait for their men to return. She might have her own reservations about Lex and Clark trying to raise a child but she kept her mouth shut. Right now they needed her support. There would plenty of time for motherly concern later.

Jonathan caught up to Lex quickly, falling in step beside him silently. After a few minutes he finally said, "It's hard work being a father."

"I know that," Lex snapped. He froze the minute the words left his mouth. "I'm sorry. This has been a rather trying day. I didn't mean to snap. I know being a father is hard work. I see how hard you work at it every day. I also remember quite vividly how much Lionel managed to screw it up. I don't want to fall into the latter category."

"You're worried about becoming your father," Jonathan nodded. "That's what's got you so tied up in knots. You're just plain old scared to death."

"I'm not ready to be a father," Lex admitted. "I don't even know yet what Clark and I are going to do. Now there's a baby thrown into the mix. And Lionel is not going to take this lying down. He'll come after me and he'll come after Clark. He'll also come after anyone and everyone we care about. I don't want to see my family get hurt over a child I don't even want." There. He had said it. Now it was out there and they could deal with it.

"It was pretty obvious that you didn't want this kid," Jonathan said gently. It was hard for him to understand since he's always wanted to be a father and it had broken his heart when they couldn't conceive. "I mean, you were just starting to get used to handling Clark, who's still a kid himself, and now this."

"It's not that I don't want the child or don't want to own up to my responsibilities, but Clark is sixteen years old," Lex said, as if that explained everything. "I really wanted to enjoy these years with him. Now, that won't be possible."

Jonathan decided to give Lex the best advice his father had ever given him. "Shit happens. You learn to deal with it or die trying."

"Yes, Sir," Lex said, knowing that the man was right. "I will raise the child as I told Clark I would. And I won't allow your son to sacrifice his education or his freedom because of this."

"He would if you asked him," Jonathan admitted.

"Which is precisely the reason I won't ask him. He should have a life. Not be tied down with the bastard child of his lover."

"More advise for you, Lex," Jonathan warned. "I wouldn't call the baby that around Clark. I've only seen him act this attached to you. I think whatever he has with you has rubbed off on your kid... even though he can't prove it's yours right now."

"Mr. Kent, I don't ever plan to repeat those words," Lex said. "I will not be my father. I will not inflict needless cruelty on a child simply because fate decided to endanger it to my care. I just hope I can keep you and Martha from getting hurt in all of this."

"There's only one thing he could do to us that we'd never recover from."

"I won't let him," Lex said quickly. He met Jonathan's eyes and held them. "I'd let Lionel kill me first."

"And kill Clark in the process. You have to let go of that anger now. That's part of being a Luthor..." Jonathan hedged, clasping Lex's shoulders. "Now you're a Kent. We just hit stuff and vent."

"I'm not ready to be a dad," Lex whispered, Jonathan's strong support eroding his defences.

"No one ever is..." Jonathan said. "It's not easy, but it's worth it."

Lex took a deep, steadying breath. "I guess I'm being selfish," he said. "As Clark so quaintly put it, if I wasn't prepared for the consequences I should have kept my dick in my pants."

"He said that?" Jonathan croaked. It might have been true, but he always thought his boy had more tact than that.

Lex nodded, turning to look back toward the house. If he squinted he could just make out Martha and Clark on the porch. He didn't want to admit it, but Clark's words had cut him quite deeply. Sometimes it was as if Clark forgot how few years actually separated them.

As if sensing Lex's misgivings, Jonathan said, "He looks up to you. Judges you too hard sometimes."

"It's okay," Lex said, shrugging it off. "He's right. I should never have slept with her in the first place."

"I remember what boys your age are like," Jonathan said. "Add that to the fact you didn't have the proper supervision or guidance and I'm not surprised at all this happened."

"Doesn't mean you're not disappointed, though," Lex said, voicing one of his biggest fears. Second to disappointing Clark came disappointing this man. "I know this is only going to make things harder on Clark. Especially when we finally come out."

"We'll deal with it," Jonathan shrugged. "We're family. Your kid is family, too."

"Family..." Lex looked at Jonathan and was surprised when he saw no anger or reproach in the other man's eyes. Only gentle acceptance and unflinching support. Lex knew he was going to need that support in the days to come. Both in dealing with his father and his somewhat temperamental lover. "There is something else we need to discuss. It would probably be best if we worked the details out between the two of us for now. Clark is a bit... volatile... at the moment."

"Really?" Jonathan was genuinely surprised. "I'd thought he'd calmed down quiet a bit after that whole bonding thing."

"He has," Lex admitted. "But this whole mess with Victoria has got him upset."

"He's still a kid himself," Jonathan reminded Lex. "Not that you're much older than he is mind you."

"I know. Trust me, sir. I know. And I'm about as freaked as I've ever been so Clark has got to be right up there, too."

"You're not alone in this," Jonathan answered him. It seemed like the best thing to say.

"I will be," Lex said before he could stop himself.

"Why do you believe that, son? Clark's devoted to you."

"Children take a lot of work," Lex shrugged, refusing to explain more than that.

"Ahhh... the newlywed blues," Jonathan nodded knowingly.

"Something like that," Lex said, a smile ghosting over his face for a moment. "We do have some things to figure out. Like where the baby and I will live. I'm not sure I want to raise it in the castle. The place gives me the creeps, I can only imagine how a child would feel."

"You'll live here for the first little while," Jonathan said. "It's not like Martha would let you out of her site anyway. I've always said you were welcome to build a house on our land. But maybe you might want to raise him or her in Metropolis or some place more... understanding than Smallville. And you're not the first new couple to be worried about a baby cutting into their time together or to have thoughts that this will mark the beginning of the end."

"Are you sure you want to share your house with a newborn?" Lex asked. "You've already made so many adjustments for me. I can't ask you to make any more. As for whether or not we stay in Smallville, that's up to Clark. If he wants to stay, we'll stay. If it's too much for him, we have alternatives."

"We've never had a newborn around before," Jonathan said somewhat regretfully. They'd always wanted a big family and Martha had always dreamed of a little girl. "But if it's a girl, I really don't know what do with her. A boy will be a breeze. Especially one that doesn't rip a door off its hinges when having a temper tantrum."

"Thank you," Lex said, truly grateful. He couldn't help but wonder sometimes when his lover's family was going to get tired of all this and tell him to get the hell out. Most of the time he knew that would never happen, but sometimes he couldn't stop himself from thinking it.

"I just have one question..." Jonathan hedged.

"What's that?" Lex asked.

"Are the effects of the meteor congenital?" Jonathan asked. He had the image of a bald little girl running around the farm in a pink dress.

"I wouldn't think so," Lex said after giving the question serious thought. "The hair loss is mostly due to the follicles being eradicated during the initial meteor shower. The radiation killed them off. Unlike chemotherapy, the hair never grew back. I would think any offspring wouldn't suffer that same fate."

"Ohhh..." Jonathan sighed in relieve. "Not that we wouldn't love them no matter what."

"Yes, well, one bald-headed freak running around Smallville is quite enough, don't you think?"

"Lex... I didn't mean it that way..." Jonathan sighed. "That would just be one more thing on top of everything else you boys already have to deal with."

"I'm sorry," Lex said. "I know you didn't. I'm afraid Clark isn't the only one whose nerves are raw right now."

"If you weren't a basket case, I'd be worried," Jonathan said. "Now speaking of basket cases, we'd better get back to Clark, unless you have any other questions."

"No, sir," Lex said as they headed back toward the house.

By the time Lex and Jonathan got back to the porch, Clark had worked his way through half a bag of Oreos. He was nervously twisting the chocolate cookies apart and licking the icing. He jumped to his feet when he saw Lex walking back toward him. He had stayed out of his lover's head, trying to give him the space he needed. He hadn't been able to help feeling some of Lex's emotions, though. They were just too strong for him to block.

Clark didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. He didn't want to push Lex about the baby. Instead he said the first thing that came to his mind and blurted out, "Want a cookie?" He held out the squished bag and grinned nervously at Lex.

"No thanks," Lex smiled. "But I will take a kiss." He pulled Clark forward and kissed him softly on the lips. He could feel nervousness radiating from the young man and set about kissing it away. // Don't fret, love. Everything's okay. //

The kiss stayed closed mouthed because his parents were watching, but he couldn't help wrapping his arms around Lex's waist. He ended up unconsciously picking Lex up off the ground and burying his face against Lex's neck when the kiss broke. // It's not okay. //

// Yes it is. I'm sorry I freaked a bit. I'll try not to let it happen again. I love you, Clark. That's the only thing that matters in all of this. //

// We'll do anything you want. I promise. I won't push anymore. //

// Don't, love. Not now. I'm still a little on edge myself. // Reluctantly, Lex pulled away and Clark set him back on his feet. He glanced over at Jonathan and Martha and saw them smiling, not even trying to look like they hadn't been watching.

// I shouldn't pick you up like that, should I? // Clark said, blushing terribly.

"You can pick me up any time you want to," Lex told him. "You're strength doesn't intimidate me so I see no reason why you can't use it as you wish."

"Clark always liked to maul his toys," Martha said, trying to hold back a giggling fit.

"Mom, you are so not helping here," Clark said. The last thing he wanted was Lex to equate him with a child. Especially when he was working so hard at growing up.

"Right... right, sorry, sweetie," Martha said, a smile cracking on her face. "You two are just so cute together, I can't help it sometimes."

"That's okay," Lex said. "You'll have to tell me all about it sometime. Maybe one day when Clark's in school, that way he won't be able to interrupt."

"I have pictures!" Martha brightened suddenly.

"Oh no," Clark groaned. Not the baby pictures.

<><><><><><>

"They've gone into town grocery shopping!" Clark said as he bounded into the barn.

Lex looked up from what he was working on. He'd taken to working out in the barn during the day. It made him feel closer to Clark when the other man was doing his chores and such. And it gave him a small measure of privacy that working at the kitchen table simply did not. "So we've got about an hour, huh?" Lex asked, amused by his lover's zeal.

"A whole hour," Clark nodded, stalking closer towards Lex. "Alone."

"I take it you had something in mind?" Lex asked as he stood up, his work forgotten.

"We've haven't done anything since last night," Clark said in a pained voice with just a hint of a whine. "I need you."

"I need you, too," Lex said, suddenly turning serious. "More than I need air to breath."

Clark stalked toward Lex with a predatory look on his face. When he had that look on his face, sometimes he could barely control himself before he laid Lex out on the nearest flat surface and buried himself in his lover. But now he wanted something different. He gracefully dropped down to his knees in front of Lex.

"Are you sure?" Lex asked, his hand snaking down to caress Clark's face. Normally when his lover got like this he wanted to top.

// I like it when you lose control. // Clark admitted, a slight blush creeping up his neck. // I have the power to make you do that best of all when I'm doing this. I know how much you like it. //

// Want this to be good for you, too. // Lex couldn't suppress a moan as Clark worked the fly of his pants. He was already hard. He'd been hard since Clark first stalked toward him.

// Touch me. // Clark begged. Fucking was wonderful, but this was almost his favourite act with Lex. He could concentrate completely on what Lex was feeling and focus on giving him pleasure.

Lex brought his hands down to card through Clark's hair, pulling him into his groin. He loved it when Clark nuzzled him. Loved the intimate feel of Clark's face rubbing against him. It made him feel like a king... or a god.

// You're my whole world. // Clark said mentally as he sucked Lex's cock into his mouth.

"Oh God..." Lex moaned as the scalding heat of Clark's mouth surrounded him. He fisted his hands tighter, knowing he couldn't hurt his lover, and tugged Clark forward. He was so wrapped up in the sensations flowing between them that he didn't hear the barn door creak open or the soft sound of footfalls on the stairs.

The sound of books scattering on the floor was enough to shock Lex out of his enjoyment of Clark's skill. He locked eyes with Chloe as she stood there with a look of horror on her face. "You bastard!" she cried out, snatching up a piece of wood and swinging at Lex.

He had just enough time to push Clark away before the board connected with the side of his head and he went down hard. He saw Clark's eyes darken with rage, and he held out a hand to his lover. "Don't..." he said weakly, trying to stop Clark before he did something that couldn't be undone.

"Get away from him," Clark snarled at Chloe.

"He... he was..." Chloe stammered, taking a step back as the look on Clark's face registered.

"He was letting me do what I wanted," Clark hissed as he crouched beside Lex. His hand rested on the side of Lex's head. // Don't worry, I'll make it better. //

// No! Not with her here. She can't know. // Lex was frantic, piercing Clark with his gaze, trying to get the boy to understand that a bump on the head was nothing compared to what could happen if his gifts became known. "I'm okay, Clark. Just... help me up," Lex said aloud for Chloe's benefit.

Clark pulled his hand away and stared at it. His hand was stained with Lex's blood. Clark eyes widened and Lex could feel the distress radiating from Clark through the bond.

// You can't. I really am all right. Scalp wounds always bleed like a bitch. // Lex continued the soothing litany of words in Clark's head as his lover helped him to his feet. Turning to Chloe, Lex smiled his best 'we're all just friends here' smile. "Why don't we take this into the house?" he suggested. "I think we have a lot to talk about."

"I don't want her near you," Clark said in a low menacing tone.

"She'll keep her distance. Won't you, Miss Sullivan?"

"I... ahhh... I guess," Chloe stuttered, completely taken aback by Clark's behaviour.

"Don't be too hard on her, Clark," Lex said, trying to calm both young people as they made their way toward the house. "She was only trying to protect you. She thought I was... forcing you."

"I've had enough of people defending my honour and taking it out on you," Clark grumbled. He had forgiven his father, but he would never forget what had happened. Now Chloe had tried to hurt his Lex, too.

"A lot of people love you, Clark," Lex said. He motioned for the two teenagers to sit down at the table while he pulled some ice from the freezer.

// Let's go into the next room for just a bit. // Clark begged his eyes riveted on Lex's wound. // I can heal you. //

// And just how will we explain the sudden lack of a contusion on my head? I'm in no danger. I'm not even in much pain. You have to let it go, Clark. I'm sorry. //

// Right after she leaves then. // Clark huffed out loud and glared at Chloe.

// No. Not unless you plan on hiding me out here for a weak or so. //

"Listen, if you're going to give me the silent treatment, I can go home," Chloe said.

"Don't let me stop you," Clark shot back. "You're the one that just tried to give my lover a concussion. Excuse me all to hell if I'm not too pleased about that."

"Well excuse me for trying to stop someone from taken advantage of my friend," Chloe shouted sarcastically, her temper rising.

"Guys, could we tone it down a bit?" Lex asked. "My head is pounding enough without you two shouting at each other. Chloe made a mistake, Clark. Let it go."

"So I take it he wasn't taking advantage of you?" Chloe said lowering her voice a little.

"No," Clark said, making a visible effort to calm down. "I was making love to him. It was what I wanted."

"Clark... he's older than you... and you've never dated anyone before," Chloe shook her head. "You can barely say two words to a girls without... oh... OH! You're gay? It all makes sense now!"

"And the light finally dawns," Lex said, his sarcasm coming to the fore. "We're both gay, though you probably already took me for a fag."

"That's what my bet was on even though Lana just swore you were bi," Chloe deadpanned. "I mean Miss Boobs had to be a beard if I've ever seen one. And then there's your fashion sense..."

"Actually, I am bi," Lex grinned. "I like women just as much as men."

Clark scowled at Lex. "Well, I'm gay and I only like one man."

"Relax, love," Lex said, picking up Clark's hand and kissing it. "I only have eyes for you. No one else, male or female, ever again. My vow to you."

"Wow..." Chloe made a series of astonished noises. "I'm impressed, Clark. You're pretty young to have a man so thoroughly whipped and completely by the balls."

"He's not whipped," Clark hissed angrily. "He's my lover and if you can't show him more respect than that you can get the hell out of my house."

"Clark..." Lex warned in a patient tone. It was hard to keep from smiling when Chloe had known the truth for under ten minutes and could already pick up on that fact that he was indeed "whipped".

"She's not going to talk about you like that," Clark said. "No one is. Not my dad. Not yours. Nobody. If people in this town can't handle our relationship then we'll move to Metropolis like you said. But don't expect me to just sit quietly while people insult you."

"Jeez, Clark... it's not an insult," Chloe huffed. "It was a compliment."

"Chloe... look, I know you meant well, but you could have killed him," Clark tried to reason. "Don't ever, ever do that again. No matter what you see or hear or think. I love Lex and everything we do is consensual."

"Are you happy?" Chloe demanded.

"More than I've ever been in my life," Clark replied. "I'm... I'm complete... in a way I've never been before. Lex makes me that way. Chloe, he gave up everything for me. For me."

"Well then..." She said and suddenly a big smile crossed her face. "Does that make me your fag hag?"

"Chloe!" Clark hissed. He hated that word. Hated it with a fucking passion. It was an ugly word and people had been using it on Lex for far too long.

"Oh calm down," Chloe sniped right back at him. "What crawled up your butt... ahhh, don't answer that."

"Clark's a little tense right now, Chloe," Lex explained. "We've had a few... bad reactions... to our relationship and they've all tended to take their displeasure out on me. Mr. Kent nearly put me in the hospital and my own father tried to maim me. So you'll understand if Clark's a little upset with this latest attack."

"Wow... are you guys jinxed or what?" Chloe said in amazement.

"It would appear so," Lex smiled. "I am truly not looking forward to Mr. Ross finding out. Somehow I don't think he'll take the news too well."

"Pete's not that bad," Chloe sighed. "Actually it should take his mind off a lot of things. Now he won't have to worry about my virtue."

"You can't say anything," Clark said suddenly. "I want to tell him myself. And I want to make sure Lex doesn't end up getting blindsided again."

"Well... to get to Pete, you kinda have to go through me now," Chloe raised challenging eyes to meet Clark.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Clark asked, confused.

"You've been spending a lot of time with Lex, Clark," Chloe said. "You haven't been around us for weeks really. Pete and I are dating now."

"Wow," Clark said both surprised and pleased for his friends. "Congratulations. Look, Chloe, I'm sorry I haven't been around much. Things have been... complicated. After everything that went down with Lex's dad, I haven't wanted to get too far away from him. Know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Chloe agreed reluctantly. "Pete can be annoying as hell sometimes, but I miss him when he's not around. We've... we've missed you too, Clark."

"I've missed you guys, too," Clark admitted. "I just... I don't think I could handle anyone else coming down on us right now. I know you're cool with it and I'm really, really glad about that. But I don't think Pete's gonna be."

"He's a straight sixteen year old boy," Chloe shrugged. "But I really think his bigger problem would be with the fact that it's Lex rather than another boy."

"Yeah," came Clark's soft reply. "I love him, Chloe. Why can't people see that? Why can't they see that he's good for me?"

"Do you want the truth?"

"Always," Lex said before Clark could reply.

"I'm not saying I believe this... but this is what I can see other people believing," Chloe said hastily. "Well... Clark's just so... well, he's just... Clark-like. He is... was... naive. He reminds people of a big puppy."

"And all people see is the spoiled rich guy corrupting his innocence," Lex said, completing the thought. He sighed. The entire town was Jonathan Kent all over again. Lex really didn't think he had it in him to win that battle yet again. The first one had nearly cost him his life.

"You have a... colourful track record," Chloe added. "People don't think you're capable of commitment."

"I'm twenty-two," Lex countered. "What twenty-two year old is?"

"Good point. Actually it's kinda romantic... classic plot really," Chloe said nervously. "Small town beauty captures the heart of a rogue big city playboy."

"Don't you mean it's more like rogue playboy defiles innocent virgin?" Lex asked, unable to keep the bitterness from creeping into his voice.

"It's not like you can knock him up," Chloe laughed nervously.

Lex looked away at Chloe's words, dropping Clark's hand. He pushed away from the table and rose unsteadily. He knew people had to be told. After all, it was all going to come out eventually. That didn't mean he had to like it, though.

"Hey sorry... I shouldn't have automatically assumed that you're the one... well, you know... with Clark," Chloe said, noting that Lex looked almost sick. "It may not matter to the people in this town. All they're going to see is poor innocent Clark Kent being seduced to the dark side by the big bad Luthor. But you'll just have to prove them wrong."

"Chloe... there's something else you need to know," Clark said, glancing at Lex before looking back at his friend. "It's another part of the reason I don't want to leave Lex alone right now."

"You're in love, Clark, I get that," Chloe said quickly.

"Victoria's pregnant," Lex said, leaning against the sink. "There's a good chance the child is mine."

"Oh..." Chloe gasped in surprise. "Oh... oh, shit!"

"My thoughts exactly, Miss Sullivan," Lex said softly. He was holding onto the sink, his knuckles white from the tightness of his grip. This wasn't fair. Not to him and certainly not to Clark. The boy deserved so much and all he ended up with was one socially unacceptable lover and a bastard child.

"Are you going to marry her?" Chloe asked stupidly, not yet able to process everything.

"I think I'd rather gargle with razor blades," Lex replied. "I am, however, going to fight for custody of my child. Should it be proven that I am the father as opposed to Lionel. You do realize, Miss Sullivan, that this must remain completely confidential. If they get word of my intentions..."

"They'll nail your ass!" Chloe burst out, remembering stories her father had told her about Lionel Luthor. She realized the allusion she'd just made and turned scarlet red. "Ahhh... sorry."

"Well, that would actually be one thing my father hasn't tried to do to me. Though the emasculation came close enough." Lex turned around to look at the pair at the table. He couldn't help but think that this was who Clark should be with. Smart, funny, pretty Chloe. Not the bald-headed circus freak. And his bastard child, don't forget.

// Lex! // Clark's voice rang sharply through his head. // Enough. That blow you took was too hard obviously. // Out loud he said, "Chloe, it's time to go home."

"Yeah," Chloe agreed, sensing that something was wrong but not sure what. "I'm really sorry I hit you, Lex. I was only trying to protect him. And Pete won't hear any of this from me, Clark. But he's gonna have to hear it from you sooner or later."

"Right now I don't even know if I'll be going to school anymore," Clark said absently, his eyes locked with Lex's. "But I'll make sure to have lunch or something. Bye."

"Look, I'll call you tonight. We can talk some more," Chloe said. She grabbed her purse and headed out the door before Clark could say anything. She would call him tonight. If nothing else, she would give them somebody to talk to. They both looked like they could use a friend.

Clark wanted until the door shut and he heard Chloe's footsteps on the stairs before he was standing in front of Lex. His hands came up, holding Lex's head. He closed his eyes and concentrated. "Hold still."

Lex jerked back hard, surprising Clark and pulling his head free. "No," he said firmly. "It's just a dull ache now. You know she's going to be back, probably as soon as tomorrow. If it's healed, she'll ask questions. Questions we can't afford. I promised you I'd let you have your way in this, but I promised myself I would never allow you to endanger yourself."

Clark seized Lex's head again more firmly this time. "But a band aid over it," he grunted as he concentrated and started to heal the small wound.

"Damn it!" Lex struggled against the hold on his head, but he was no match for Clark. He finally stopped and simply glared at his lover, waiting for him to finish.

Clark smiled as he felt the pain slip from both of them. He leaned over and without opening his eyes, he kissed Lex's forehead. He mumbled with his lips still pressed against the flesh, "Thank you."

Lex didn't say a word, not trusting himself not to hurt his lover horribly if he opened his mouth. He waited until Clark stepped back before brushing past him and heading out of the house and back toward the barn. He needed some space. And pounding the hell out of a few bales of hay wouldn't hurt his mood any either.

Clark stood forlornly in the kitchen. He could feel that Lex had blocked the bond. It just seemed like no matter what he did, it wasn't right. Lex didn't understand that he couldn't let him go unhealed. It was like telling a child not to scratch an itch. The need to heal Lex when he was in pain was always insistently nagging Clark in the back of his mind. He only got peace when Lex was whole again. The problem was, Lex's mental pain affected him just as much as Lex's physical discomfort. He wanted to go and comfort his lover, but he didn't know if that was the right choice. So instead he just stood in kitchen, in the same spot, and waited.

Lex had almost made it to the barn when Clark's sorrow hit him. He might have blocked the bond but he could still feel Clark's emotions. Especially his stronger ones. Lex spun on his heels and stomped back the way he had come. "Damned irresponsible farmboys... think they know every fucking thing... just trying to protect him... fucking kill for him if I had to... like to stay out of jail though..." Lex continually muttered as he slammed back into the house.

Clark was standing in the same position that Lex had left him in. Except now he had a glassy look in his eyes, having retreated into the bond.

// Come back to me, love. // Lex's command was gentle. The anger in him evaporating at the sight of his lover looking so... lost. Clark needed him now. With everything else going on, the last thing they needed was to allow any distance between them.

"The bond doesn't have any answers," Clark said forlornly, his eyes still distant.

"The bond doesn't need to," Lex said. "I'm just upset. It'll pass. Don't worry about it."

"Want to fix this," Clark said absently, his brow furrowed now, like it always did when he was thinking very hard. "Want answers. Want to make you happy."

"You do make me happy." Lex closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around Clark. He laid his head down on his lover's shoulder and simply held him. Slowly, he began to feed love and reassurance over the bond to him.

"I... I think if I tried hard enough," Clark said as he came back to himself, grasping at a solution. "If I sorta go into that hibernation stage again... I might be able to change myself again. Be what you really need now."

"Don't. You. Dare." Lex practically snarled at him. "I don't want you changed. Do you hear me? I want you just the way you are. Stop thinking you have to change yourself for me. I fell in love with you, Clark."

"But I know what you really want right now is for someone to take care of you," Clark countered. He searched the deepest reaches of the bond and Lex's consciousness. "You may take charge and take care of me, but deep down, you don't want the responsibility. You don't want to be a father yet. You don't want to take care of two kids... I know that you think I'm needy."

"You're not needy," Lex said. "You need me and I like that. You're the first person that's ever needed me like this, wanted me like this. No, I'm not ready to be a father. But that doesn't change the facts any. Victoria's child may be mine. If it is, then I'll do what I have to do regardless of what I want. Just like parents do every day. And I do not consider you a child. You're my lover. My equal. Clark... please... don't change... not for me."

"I just... I just want to..." Clark stuttered over his words. He had no life experience to draw on for this. "I don't know what I want."

"Do you want to make me happy?" Lex asked, turning his head to look up at Clark.

"More than anything," Clark agreed, his eyes starting to tear. "But everything I do is wrong, Lex. I should be strong for you. I should be a man. Y-you shouldn't... h-have to take care of me when you can barely hold it together."

"Clark, you don't get it, do you?" Lex asked, laughter in his voice. "You're the thing that's holding me together right now. Knowing you love me. Knowing you're here for me. Even knowing you need me. You're what helps me get out of that bed in the morning and face the day. Please, Clark... believe me."

"You deserve more," Clark mumbled, now clinging to Lex. "I want to be so much more for you."

"You're every fucking thing I've ever dared to dream of," Lex whispered back, his own voice going rough with emotion. "Don't you ever think you have to change for me." The boys were so wrapped up in each other they didn't hear the truck pull into the driveway or the screen door open.

Jonathan coughed loudly as he took in the clinch. "Is everything alright, boys?"

"Sorry, Mr. Kent," Lex said as he pulled back reluctantly. "Chloe stopped by while you were out. There was a bit of a mishap. Everything's fine now, though."

"You just have to make sure Lex wears a band aid on his head if he goes off the farm," Clark noted, trying to sound normal, but failing miserably. He had to keep in physical contact with his lover. His hand drifted out and he caressed the back of Lex's head.

"What happened?" Jonathan asked, moving closer to the two boys and trying to get a look at Lex's head.

"He's fine now," Clark said, pulling Lex closer to him, unconsciously still protective of his lover.

"Boys, I want an explanation. Now," Jonathan demanded. "If someone came on this farm and tried to hurt Lex I want to know about it."

"Chloe hit him with a chuck of 2 x 4," Clark blurted out. "But we dealt with it."

"Well, since I don't see any blood and Lex isn't frantically trying to hide a body I'm going to assume that dealing with it didn't include anything too... harsh," Martha piped up, coming to stand beside the boys, too.

"I don't see why everyone wants to hit Lex," Clark grumbled. "It's like he had a bulls eye painted on his skull."

"I'll take care of this right now," Jonathan said, turning toward the door. No one was coming on his land and hurting one of his sons. Not while he was alive to stop it.

"Jonathan..." Lex called out, but when that didn't stop him, he tried again. "Dad, stop please!"

Jonathan stopped in his tracks and took a deep breath. He looked back at his boys, meeting Lex's eyes squarely. "No one's coming on this land and hurting my family. I've spent the last thirteen years protecting Clark. I can protect you, too."

"And what exactly we're you planning on doing to a fifteen year old girl?" Martha asked.

"I plan on having a talk with her father and telling her not to set foot on this property again," Jonathan said.

"I don't think that's wise," Lex stepped in. "She's Clark's friend. After all of this, she might be his only real friend left."

"Lex, if you don't want me to say anything, then I won't," Jonathan relented. Lex was a grown man, after all, and fully capable of fighting his own battles. Jonathan couldn't help but remember the scared boy he'd seen pinned beneath his father, though. "I take it she realizes the error of her ways?"

"She took it all surprisingly well," Lex shrugged.

"I don't call bashing you with a two-by-four taking things well, Lex," Jonathan snorted.

"There were extenuating circumstances," Lex mumbled reluctantly.

"I take it from the blush on your face that it's something you'd rather not share," Martha said, winking at Jonathan.

"Mooom..." Clark whined.

"It's alright, boys," Jonathan said, trying hard not to think about what they could have been doing to get caught by Chloe. "We do remember what it's like to be young. Just... be careful. Oh, and Clark, show Lex where we keep the shotgun. Okay?"

"Yeah... okay. And for the record, we did wait until you were gone," Clark answered sullenly. Barely waited until they were down the lane, but who could resist a sweaty Lex. Lex hardly ever sweated and Clark had been able to smell it from the house. He was only... alien after all.

"Thank goodness for that," Martha said. "Why don't you boys go upstairs and get some rest. Lex looks like he could probably use it. Supper won't be ready for a few hours yet. After dinner, we need to have a talk about getting you back into school."

"Since you brought it up..." Clark said, scuffing his feet. "I was thinking I might not be going back."

"Well, you can just un-think that right now. You are going back to school." Lex said sternly, holding up his hand to silence Clark when he opened his mouth. "Don't interrupt me. I've agreed to everything you wanted. Everything, Clark. You will not go against my wishes on this."

"But, Lex," Clark argued. "If I was home schooled I could be around you more. Be a bigger help with the baby." He might not be able to change, but he could at least be a bigger help to Lex. Maybe the rapid changes in his life wouldn't be so overwhelming if he was around.

Lex noticed how Clark didn't say 'if' we get baby. "No," Lex said. "You are sixteen years old. You deserve a fucking life, Clark. I can take care of the child. You are not giving up your social life and your education to raise Victoria's baby."

"Your baby," Clark corrected automatically.

"Fine. My baby. Hell, our baby," Lex amended. "Because it will be our baby, I promise you that. But you're still not giving up your life to raise it."

"What life?" Clark asked, his voice rising to a scream. "The life I live in fear of being discovered? Or what about the hours I spend worrying about you when I'm supposed be learning fucking Shakespeare? Or better yet, the activities I don't do because I'm afraid if I so much as look at someone funny they'll break?!"

"How about the life you were perfectly content with until I came along and fucked it all up for you?" Lex shouted back, his own temper frayed from everything that had taken place. "I'm sorry you're life's not perfect, Clark. God knows I've tried to make it that way. But hey, at least your dad didn't try to cut your balls off."

"Don't you think I wanted to stop that?!" Clark yelled, Lex's comment reminding him of his failure. "You've tried to make it perfect, but it's hard when you're working with defective equipment."

"I'm going to assume that shot was at you and not me," Lex spat. "Don't you ever say that again. I love you. The only other person in my entire life I've loved was my mother so don't you dare spit on what we have. Christ, Clark, if this is what I'm doing to you maybe I should move back to the castle."

Clark stopped his heated reply when he heard that. His breath hitched and his eyes went wide. The bond screamed at him to be submissive. To do what it took to keep his mate by his side. "Don't. I'm sorry."

"Shhh... so am I," Lex said, appalled at what he had said. He pulled Clark to him hard and held on. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled. I'm not leaving. I can't leave. It would kill me. I love you."

"Take him upstairs, Lex," Martha said from the kitchen, one hand holding onto Jonathan to keep him from interfering. They'd never seen the boys scream at each other like that. They had been afraid for a moment that it was going to come to blows. That could have been very dangerous for Lex.

Clark was repeating mentally. // I'm sorry. Don't leave me. I'm sorry. //

Lex pulled back from Clark and took his hand. He pulled his lover along behind him, wanting to get him upstairs and away from his parent's concerned gazes. // I'm not leaving. I'll never leave you. I'm sorry too, love. Forgive me... please. //

// Someday it'll be too much for you. // Clark continued to rattle on, but followed docilely behind Lex.

"It will never be too much for me," Lex said aloud as he closed the bedroom door behind them. "I'll love you until the day they put me in the ground. You're everything to me."

"The day you die is the day I die, too," Clark promised.

"Let's not talk about dying right now," Lex said, shuddering at the thought of his lover leaving this world, even if he, himself, was no longer a part of it. "Let's get undressed and lay down together instead. Okay?"

"Uh huh," Clark agreed quietly, but he didn't start to undress himself, instead his eyes were fixed on Lex.

Lex quickly shed his clothes then started in on Clark's. He hated when Clark got like this, afraid to make a move for fear of upsetting him. It was so unlike his lover. At least it was unlike his lover before the "change". Lex still had trouble adjusting to all the changes in Clark. But he could think about that later. Right now, his lover needed him.

// I'm still your Clark. // He answered Lex's darkening mood. "I just need you more now."

// Yes. You are. I think maybe you forgot that. You. Belong. To. Me. // Lex sank his hand into Clark's hair and kissed him hard on the mouth. He finished unfastening the younger man's pants with his free hand and pushed them down until they slid down Clark's legs to pool at his feet. Maybe, just maybe, this would give Clark what he needed.

// I just need you. // Clark answered back, letting Lex take complete control. // Please, make all the uncertainty go away. //

// I will. // Lex vowed as he continued to kiss Clark. He used his teeth, nipping much harder than he normally would. Even though he knew it was impossible, he wanted to mark Clark somehow. "I want to mark you," he said aloud. "But I can't. So I guess I'll have to settle for marking you so brightly on the inside that it'll just shine right through. Do you think I can do that, Clark? Do you think I can mark you that thoroughly?"

"Yes!" Clark answered eagerly. He'd been meaning to bring it up with Lex. He wanted the world to know he belonged to Lex. He wanted everyone to know that Lex was taken. Now that Lex lived with them, it didn't matter what people thought anymore.

"Then get on the bed for me, sweet pet," Lex purred. He stepped back and smiled as Clark quickly scrambled onto the centre of the big bed.

Clark got onto all fours, his head resting against this arms and ass raised in the air. He was offering everything he was to Lex.

"God, Clark, you make a beautiful fucking bitch," Lex groaned as he moved up behind his lover. He snagged the bottle of oil from the nightstand and dribbled some down the cleft of Clark's ass. This wasn't the time for taking things slow and easy. By the time he was finished, Clark would feel like Lex had branded him inside and out.

"Call me whatever you want," Clark moaned, "It's all true for you."

"Are you my bitch, sweet Clark?" Lex asked as he rubbed the oil around Clark's hole. Ever so slowly, he pushed one long finger inside, not really stretching but rather spreading the oil around.

"Just fuck me," Clark begged suddenly.

"Answer the question first," Lex told him, the Dom in him being too long ignored to turn away from this now. He slid his finger back in as far as he could, crooking it to caress the walls gripping it so tightly.

"Yes!" Clark half snarled, half begged. "Now do me... please. Stop teasing."

"Is this what you want, Clark?" Lex asked as he pulled his finger free and pressed his swollen member against his lover's hole. "Is this what you're begging me for, my sweet, sweet Clark?"

"Yes, damn it! Fuck me before I..." Clark growled shoving back and then he remembered he shouldn't be acting like this. He was supposed to be submissive and subs didn't demand anything. He stopped moving and hung his head.

Lex grabbed Clark by the hips and thrust forward hard. He was satisfied with the startled gasp he earned from Clark as his cock barrelled its way into his unprepared body. He knew he wasn't hurting him, but he also knew Clark was really feeling it. "Oh fuck, bitch... yeah..." Lex whispered as he began to thrust.

"Try and make me hurt," Clark challenged. "Take all that rage out on me."

"Yeah, take it," Lex gasped, slamming forward hard enough to bruise a normal man. "Take it... take it... take it..."

"Harder," Clark demanded. "P-punish me for everything that's happening to you."

"You belong to me," Lex said, one of his hands snaking out to fist in Clark's hair. He jerked his lover's head back hard, baring his throat. "You are mine. Do you understand that, Clark? Do you fucking understand that?"

"Yes!" Clark shouted out. "Now just prove it you bastard!"

"I'll fucking prove it all right, bitch," Lex snarled. "I'll brand it on your ass if I have to. Oh fuck yeah. Jack yourself if you want to cum."

"You can't leave me if I belong to you," Clark gasped out. "Make me cum. Show me I belong to you!"

Lex thought for only a second before pulling back on Clark's head forcing him up onto his knees. He leaned back slowly until they were both kneeling, his cock still firmly imbedded in Clark's tight ass. "Ride me," Lex ordered, slapping Clark on the hip as he closed one hand around Clark's straining erection and moved the other down to fondle the swollen balls.

Clark grunted as he began to rock his hips quickly, shoving back hard. "Can't get you deep enough," he complained. "Never enough of you."

"That's it, baby," Lex cooed as Clark rode him. "Fuck yourself on me. Fucking ream your ass out on my cock." He stroked Clark's cock in time with the rhythm he set, fondling the indestructible balls as if they were the most fragile thing on the planet, knowing how much hotter that always made his young lover.

"Dirty. Old. Man," Clark grunted with delight.

"You haven't even begun to see dirty," Lex laughed, thrusting up hard and making Clark gasp at the sudden feel of a hard cock against his prostate. "But you will. One of these days I'll tie you to this bed and fuck you until you can't walk. Super powers be damned."

"Sweet. Dirty. Old. Man," Clark amended this time, purposely using the endearment Lex had used only minutes before.

"Isn't that an oxymoron?" Lex asked. He knew he wasn't going to last much longer. Tightening his hand on Clark's balls, Lex began to jerk him faster. He wanted his lover to cum, then he'd finish fucking him.

// No! With you! // Clark demanded mentally, beyond the point of verbal skills now.

"You cum when I say you cum or you don't cum at all," Lex told him. He squeezed Clark's balls to the other side of uncomfortable and stroked even faster. He began to angle up as Clark thrust down, wanting to come into contact with Clark's prostate as much as possible. He wanted his lover to cum.

// Say it. // Clark begged. He didn't think he could cum with out hearing it again.

"You. Are. MINE." Lex thrust hard and fast, punctuating each word. He would fuck it into his lover if he had to. Clark was his and Lex was never letting him go.

"Fuck! I'm yours!" Clark yelled out as he burst cum all over Lex's hand.

Lex groaned and did his best not to cum as Clark writhed on his cock. He could feel the young man's body milking his cock and his balls drew up tight. He pushed his orgasm back, knowing how he wanted to finish this. When the last of Clark's orgasm had subsided, Lex brought his hand up to Clark's face. "Lick," he commanded softly.

Clark was completely relaxed, his muscles turned to mush, all the tension and pent up emotion gone. He somehow found just enough energy to seize Lex's hand and begin to leisurely suck on his fingers.

"Good bitch," Lex moaned as Clark's tongue swirled around his fingers. Once his hand was clean, he pulled it away then shoved Clark forward hard and fast. Clark went down onto his elbows at the unexpected action and Lex took full advantage. He grabbed Clark's hips and pulled them up, forcing the young man's head down even further then he began to thrust again, as hard and as fast as he could.

// Take what you want. Take what you need. // Clark's voice rang out in his head as Lex pounded into his lax body.

// You. All I'll ever need is you. // Lex continued his brutal assault. He knew he'd be sore himself by the time he was finished but he didn't care. All that mattered was making sure Clark didn't forget this for a long, long time.

// I can feel you. // Clark said in reference to Lex fucking him, but he could also feel Lex through the bond on a level they hadn't shared in a long time.

// Feel me then. Feel me everywhere. // Lex let himself go completely then. His hips went into overdrive and his mind rushed out toward Clark. It was as if he couldn't get close enough and he burrowed down deep into his lover both body and soul.

Clark closed his eyes and completely opened up the bond, bearing all his emotions to Lex. Doubt. Fear. Trust. Lust. Passion. But most of all, an overwhelming love. Lex felt Clark's feelings and did the same with his own. All the doubt and fear seemed to dissolve as he shared it with Clark until nothing was left but the love and trust and passion they felt. Lex threw back his head and screamed as his orgasm slammed through him. He gripped Clark's hips tightly, his fingers digging into the soft flesh as he poured his essence into his lover's body.

Blackness overcame both of them as they slumped into a heap on their bed. Down stairs, the senior Kent's had beat a hasty retreat when the thumping started. When they cautiously came inside from "working" out in the barn, the boys were still passed out from exhaustion, limps and sweaty bodies tangled together.

Jonathan stood outside his son's door nervously. He didn't want to interrupt but dinner was almost ready. They hadn't heard anything else since they'd come back in from the barn, but you could never tell. The boys could be surprisingly quiet when it suited them.

He decided to take the tried and true way of fathers everywhere... to be very unsubtle. He coughed loudly and banged on the door. There was no answer. Not even a stirring behind the door. Not knowing what else to do Jonathan carefully opened the door and peaked inside. What he saw made him blush even as it tugged at his heart. The boys appeared to be sound asleep. Clark's head was pillowed on Lex's chest while Lex's arms held him close. It would have been picture perfect if the boys weren't stark naked.

Jonathan closed the door and left it open just a crack. He decided to try the one thing that would always wake Clark from a dead sleep or make him come zooming in from an outer field. "Clark, food!"

The sound of Lex chuckling brought Jonathan back into the room. "I'll get him up, Mr. Kent," Lex said. "Just give us a few minutes and we'll be down."

"He didn't budge," Jonathan said with mock amazement. "I guess we finally found something Clark likes more than food... ahhh, I shouldn't have said that."

"How about I pretend I didn't hear anything?" Lex said, trying not to laugh.

"How's a guy supposed to get any sleep around here if you two keep making so much noise?" Clark mumbled from the vicinity of Lex's shoulder. Obviously the mention of food had penetrated after all.

"You're mother made fried chicken and something called moussaka that Lex's cook said was his favourite. If you ask me it just looks like Shepard's pie..."

"That's exactly what it is," Lex laughed. "My cook just like using fancy names for things."

"She put a lot of work into it so..." Jonathan hedged. "Eat it even if it tastes... interesting."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Lex assured him. Just as Jonathan was closing the door he added, "And if it's not, Clark and I'll go out for ice cream later."

"Ice cream?" Clark piped up in his patented little boy's voice.

"Well, if it's not okay then we'll just feed it to Clark. He'll eat anything," Jonathan laughed.

Clark waited just long enough for the door to close behind his dad before kissing Lex. He let his tongue slide into his lover's mouth, stroking and tasting his fill. He wished they could just stay up here, lounging in bed but that wasn't going to happen. Besides, his mom was probably still worried from the fight they'd had earlier. They needed to put in an appearance.

// I know if you had your way we'd hide up here all day. // Lex continued to kiss Clark, chuckling a little at the same time.

// Can't get enough of you. Love you so much, Lex. // Clark broke away reluctantly and forced himself from the bed. He dressed quickly, knowing that if he lingered they'd never make it downstairs. The last thing he wanted was for his mom to come up after them. That could prove... embarrassing.

"We were pretty loud, Clark," Lex noted, pulling on his own crumbled clothes. "That's embarrassing enough."

"Tell me about it," Clark mumbled. "At least I wasn't the one that screamed."

"I believe your exact words were... Fuck. I'm yours," Lex smirked back.

"Yes, but I didn't scream them loud enough for the neighbours to hear," Clark shot back. "You on the other hand..."

"No comment," Lex huffed with a smirk on his face. So he was screamer. There were worse things in life.

"Boys, do you really want me to come up there?" Martha called from the foot of the stairs, interrupting their smirking match.

"Coming, Mom!" Clark called out.

"Nice choice of words, Clark," Lex whispered, pushing past him and heading down the stairs at a leisurely rate, leaving his gaping lover behind him.

// I hope you know you smell like you just came out of an orgy! // Clark shot back.

// Your parents live on a farm. They smell worse things than that on a daily basis. //

"Yeah, like whatever that is wafting from the kitchen," Clark hissed, making a face.

"What was that, Clark?" Martha asked, having picked up the tail end of their conversation.

"Oh nothing, mom," Clark said innocently.

"Uh huh," Martha said knowing. "Lex, could you give me a hand with this, please?"

Lex grabbed a pan of fresh corn bread from Martha and walked over to the table. Clark watched the progression the entire time, his eyes glued to Lex's ass. Lex had been wearing jeans more than anything else since living on the farm. Tight, black jeans.

"Awww, do I have to?" Clark whined, camping it up a bit, not wanting to be away from Lex.

"Go on," Martha laughed, shooing her son out the back door. When he was gone she reached out to touch Lex's arm, looking at him intently. "Are you alright?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Lex said casually, arranging the forks to his satisfaction.

"No reason really," Martha hedged. "Just... you boys have never fought like that before. At least not where we could hear you."

"We've never been under so much stress before," Lex shrugged. "Clark is trying to grow up too much, too fast. We both just snapped."

"I know how that goes. Clark may not be our blood but he comes by his temper honestly enough. What he doesn't get from Jonathan he gets from me. He's lucky he has a partner as understanding as you."

"It's like one minute he acts older than me and the next like... like he's twelve," Lex sighed. "And his temper is comparable to the one I have."

"I saw that, yes," Martha said gently. "It was everything I could do to keep Jonathan from getting into the middle of it. He was scared to death you were going to get hurt. Again."

"He couldn't hurt me," Lex shook his head.

"I know that. So does Jon really, or I never would have been able to hold him back. You've both been through so much. You just need some time to get your feet back under you, that's all. And, Lex, if you need to talk, we're here for you."

"Yeah, thanks..." Lex added. Without turning or hearing then enter, Lex could sense Clark coming closer. "They're back."

Martha smiled and gave Lex a little shove in the direction of the door. "I can finish this. You've got about ten minutes or so. Make sure Clark washes up."

"Ahhh... right," Lex didn't want to say anything else. He could already feel the blush burning on his cheeks. "Clark, bathroom."

Dinner ended up being quite enjoyable. Martha had done a rather passable job with the moussaka, enough so that Clark had three helpings. Lex volunteered the two of them for cleanup, leaving the elder Kent's to relax on the porch for a bit. The boys joined them once they were finished and Lex was once again amazed at how at home he felt here now. He'd finally found the home and family he'd always wished for. The dread he felt that he could possibly lose it all in a few short week ate at his soul.

<><><><><><>

Lex was shocked out of a dead sleep by his cell phone ringing. That could mean only one thing. The contacts he'd been paying at the hospitals finally had something to report. Fumbling in the dark, he grabbed the phone. Clark was awake beside him, all too aware of what a call on this particular phone meant.

"Talk," Lex croaked into the cell.

"Ms. Hardwicke is at Metropolis General," the voice on the phone said. "She delivered a baby girl about an hour ago."

"Is the baby in good health?" Lex managed to croak out.

"Perfect," the caller said. "She's a little small but girls tend to be that way sometimes. Blood has already been drawn for the test. We should have the results by the time you arrive."

"Fine," Lex answered. "We'll be there in three hours."

"They'll be here." The line went dead and Lex set the phone down on the nightstand. He glanced at Clark then threw back the blanket and got out of bed. He dressed on autopilot, making sure to pull on appropriate clothing. It wouldn't do to show up in jeans after all.

"Lex..." Clark called out and when Lex didn't answer, he tried again. "Lex..."

"What?" Lex replied, keeping his back firmly to his lover.

"Socks," Clark said patiently, getting out of bed himself.

"Excuse me?" Lex replied, not understanding.

"You don't have any socks on," Clark said with a patient smile. "You'd better put some one before we leave."

"You have school tomorrow," Lex said, grabbing a pair of socks from the drawer and sitting down on the bed. "I can take care of this myself."

"School can wait." Clark answered. "You can barely dress yourself and you think I'm gonna let you drive there?"

"It's just Metropolis. I can drive there with my eyes closed," Lex replied. He slipped his shoes on and stood up. He was about to open the door when a soft knock startled him.

"Boys, what's wrong?" Martha asked as she and Jonathan stepped into the room. They had heard the cell phone ring and were well aware of what that meant.

"Everything's fine," Lex gripped. "I just... I just have to leave now."

"Do you want us to drive you?" Martha asked gently. "It'll only take us a second to get dressed."

"I'm fine," Lex repeated, feeling somewhat unsteady now that the moment was finally here. "I have my socks on."

"Give me your keys, son," Jonathan said, stepping up and holding out his hand. "Martha... Clark... get dressed."

"You don't have to do this," Lex said even though he wanted them there. He wanted their support and love now more than anything.

"Of course we do," Jonathan said, motioning for his wife and son to hurry up. "We're a family, Lex. Families stick together. We're not about to let you go off and face all this alone. Especially Lionel."

"It was a little girl," Lex blurted out. He could be the father of a little girl. Or the brother.

"I bet she's beautiful," Jonathan replied. "Do you think you could help Clark get dressed while I go throw some clothes on?"

"Right... right, I can do that," Lex nodded, glad that Jonathan had taken control. He turned to Clark who was standing with bare feet and chest, somehow he'd managed to slip a pair of jeans on. "Don't forget your socks."

Clark nodded at his dad, letting him know he'd keep an eye on Lex while he dressed. Clark indulged his lover, letting him pick out clothes for him. He sent love and reassurance along their bond and nearly recoiled when he felt the bone-numbing fear that was coursing through Lex. His lover was terrified.

Lex had made him change into a pair of dress pants and his blue dress shirt. He hands were shaking as he did up Clark's buttons. "I w-want you to look nice."

"So do I," Clark said. "It's not every day I get to meet your daughter."

"She could be my half-sister," Lex reminded him.

"Either way, I'll love her," Clark said. "Because part of her is the same as part of you. I could never help but love something that's a part of you, Lex."

// She's a Luthor. // Lex voiced one of deepest concerns. He wasn't even able to say it out loud. // We don't have the best track record. I could have brought someone evil into this world. //

"Nothing that is a part of you could ever be evil," Clark said. "I know your father is, but I think if someone tried hard enough they could save him. Like... like I saved you..."

"Could you save the baby, too?" Lex croaked. "Save her from her genes?"

"I won't need to. You'll save her all on your own. Just because you love her." Clark pulled Lex into a hug then took his hand and led him downstairs. Martha and Jonathan were waiting for them and they all quickly piled into Martha's car. Once they got back Jonathan would give Lex his keys back. Until then, he didn't want the young man going off anywhere alone.

The majority of the three-hour drive was made in silence, with Lex and Clark huddled in the back seat. Clark spent the time trying to comfort and calm down his lover. Lex was a tense, live wire.

"Do you want us to come inside with you?" Jonathan asked as he parked the car. "Or would you rather have us wait out here?" He wanted to be with the young man but he didn't want to embarrass him. This was going to be hard enough without causing a scene.

"Please come in," Lex said in small voice. "I... we... need you there."

"Alright, son," Jonathan said. They piled out of the car and made their way inside. Lex seemed to know right where to go so they simply followed him. They ended up in the west wing of the maternity floor standing in front of the glassed in nursery.

"She's the last one on the left," Bruce Wayne said as he stepped out of the shadows to stand beside Lex. "She's beautiful, my friend."

"Bruce," Lex gasped, then rushed towards his friend to pull him into a hug. "Thank you for keeping watch over her."

"No thanks needed. I would have done it even if you hadn't asked," Bruce replied. "The test results should be back any minute then we'll know for sure."

"I need to see her," Lex responded, giving Bruce one more quick squeeze and moving away. He grabbed Clark's hand and pulled him to the left of the nursery observation window in front of the bassinet marked 'baby girl Luthor'. Bruce was right. She really was beautiful. Tiny, misshapen and the most beautiful thing Lex had ever seen. The little hat on her head kept him from seeing her hair, but a small tuft of it was stuck out. It was enough for him to tell that it was the same bright red colour that his had been at that age. He was excited and terrified all at once. He wanted so much for the tiny little creature to be his and at the same time he was terrified of the responsibility of that tiny life depending on him for anything.

"She has your temper," Clark noted with a short chuckle as the baby girl balled her lungs out, tiny fists waving in the air.

"She should fit right in then," Lex replied, never taking his eyes from the miracle on the other side of the glass.

"Didn't you have red hair?" Clark noted, also making goo-goo eyes at the tiny bundle.

"Yes," Lex replied. "So did my mother. Hers was this really beautiful shade of auburn. I always loved her hair."

The baby girl continued to cry, but the nursery attendant was too busy feeding another newborn to worry about "coddling" her. You would have thought a Luthor baby would receive extra special attention, but she continued to cry unheard. "Should she be crying like that?" Clark asked, wincing when she shrieked again. "Shouldn't she be held or something?"

"Well, we know her lungs certainly are healthy," Martha mused. "I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just hungry. The nurse will feed her in a minute."

"Lex, if you'll excuse me for a moment, I need to attend to something," Bruce said, hating to break up the family scene but needing to get some things taken care of as quickly as possible.

"Uh huh," Lex said absently to Bruce. His attention was still drawn on the baby. "I take it Victoria opted not to breastfeed. I don't think it's proper for her to be fed by the help."

"Lex, the nurse is not the help," Martha said softly. "And she's the best one to do this. She's trained in just what to do and how to do it. She knows better than anyone what to do if something happens. Your baby is just fine."

"The other newborns are with their mothers," Lex pointed out. The only other babies in the nursery were preemies too small to be removed from their incubators. "She shouldn't be punished because her mother doesn't give a damn. Don't they have to bond or something at this age?"

"Yes, it's good for them to, but I don't think that would be wise in this case," Martha said. "After all, you're trying to get custody. Come on, let's go sit down and you can tell us who your mysterious friend is."

"Couldn't Lex feed her?" Clark piped up. The baby was getting more and more upset, hiccupping from crying too much. "Or at least hold her?"

"Honey, I don't think they'll let him," Martha said.

"But she's crying, mom," Clark said, clearly upset. He'd never been around a newborn before and the sound of the bawling was unnerving.

"Yes, I know she is. She'll do a lot more of that before she grows up," Martha said. Just then the nurse finally got around to the crying infant. She picked her up and slipped a bottle into the tiny mouth. The crying stopped at once, as the baby began to suckle. "See, she was just hungry."

"She's lonely too..." Clark said in a ghost soft voice. "She wants to be held."

"Clark, don't," Lex whispered. "I know she's lonely but she'll be with us soon enough. Just... don't make this any harder on me than it already is, okay?"

"I'm s-sorry," Clark mumbled.

Lex grabbed Clark's hand and pulled him close, wrapping his arms around him tight. "Nothing to be sorry for. I'm... I'm not handling this very well."

Clark responded to Lex's hold by clinging to him. "You're conscious and semi-coherent... I take that as a bonus."

"Me too," Lex laughed. He pulled back with a reluctant sigh and turned back to Clark's parents. "The mysterious man you referred to before is Bruce Wayne. And yes, that Bruce Wayne. We're old friends."

"He's straight?" Clark asked, coming behind Lex and wrapping his arms around Lex's waist.

"Clark," Martha scolded. "Mr. Wayne's preferences are his business, not ours."

"Besides, we already went over this the first time you got jealous," Lex added with a small smile. Clark was very cute when he got worked up and jealous.

"Oh yeah," Clark blushed. "You said he was bi, right?"

"Clark, we don't air other people's dirty laundry in public," Jonathan scolded. He'd heard about Bruce Wayne through the papers. He was a rich recluse, but he donated large amounts to charity.

"It's alright," Lex said. "Bruce is a good friend. Probably my best friend before Clark came along. He won't be upset that I'm talking about him with my family."

// You said you didn't have a best friend before me. // Clark said, his hackles rising.

// I didn't. Bruce was the closest I ever came. He was the best friend I had but he wasn't my "best friend". // Lex began to caress Clark's hand, running his thumb over the back of it over and over again. The last thing any of them needed right now was Clark losing his temper. They had enough to worry about as it was.

Clark began to focus on something. A familiar smell wafted into the hallway. Her smell. He concentrated. Her voice. Muffled, but he could still hear her. "She's here."

"Who's here?" Martha asked, looking around confused.

"Her," Clark growled.

"Her who, Clark?" Lex asked. "You're not making any sense."

"The egg donor," Clark hissed. "I just noticed her now. I was too focused on the baby before."

A light went off in Lex's head. Clark was talking about Victoria. "Where else would she be, love? She did just give birth."

Clark said. "I doubt she wanted to put up with the pain of a natural child birth."

"Better the pain than a scar," Lex countered. "And with the right drugs, I'm sure she never felt a thing. Concentrate on the baby if she bothers you that much. We can't afford a scene right now. Not when we're this close."

Clark's gaze moved back to the baby. She'd been feed, burped and put back down to sleep. He red mottled skin wasn't like the picture perfect Gerber baby, but he thought she was the most beautiful thing in the world. "Lex Junior looks like you."

"Thanks," Lex smirked. "Bald runs in my family."

Before Clark could come back Bruce once again stepped out of the shadows. "We need to talk," he said to Lex seriously.

"Clark, I'm going to get some coffee with Bruce," Lex explained. "You stay here and watch over the baby."

"Alright," Clark agreed, torn between going with Lex and watching over his child as he'd asked. He opted to do as Lex said for once and stayed where he was.

Bruce followed Lex down the hall until the reached the privacy of a deserted visitor's lounge. "He's a bit young isn't he?"

"No more so than Dick," Lex shot back, then grimaced. "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. Yes, he is but he's not your average teenager. Clark is... special. I love him. Christ, Bruce, I'm going to marry him."

"That's something I thought I'd never hear," Bruce said. "And Dick is special, too. I guess that makes me more of a dirty old man than you. What is it about young men being infatuated with me?"

"I think it's the whole dark knight thing you've got going," Lex smiled, remembering his own crush on the other man. He'd been mortified when Bruce had sat him down and told him that while he was flattered, that was all he was. Lex had done his best to avoid the other man for over a week before Bruce had tracked him down. They'd been good friends ever since.

"It was only your age," Bruce quipped. The irony that he hadn't pursued Lex because of his age, but ended up involved with his ward wasn't lost on him. "If we both weren't involved in illegal relationships..."

"Bruce, for everyone's peace of mind, never say that again," Lex cautioned. "Clark is, as you said, very young. You know first hand the kind of insecurity that goes along with that. He's jealous of you enough as it is."

Bruce nodded his acceptance. "Dick is a handful himself."

"I can imagine," Lex replied. He grew serious after a moment and took a deep breath. "So, what's the verdict?"

"Your DNA is a match."

"She's mine then," Lex whispered. "I don't know if I should be happy or scared to death. Does Victoria know?"

"She knew the minute she saw the baby," Bruce said. "The test was just confirmation."

"Now the battle begins. Any idea how hard she's going to fight this?"

"She's not going to fight it."

"Excuse me?" Lex gaped.

"Two reasons. First of all she wanted a boy. Lionel was quite adamant about a boy. But I showed her some enlightening information about Lionel and made her an offer she couldn't refuse."

"I don't want to know, do I?" Lex asked, awed by the lengths Bruce had apparently gone to for him.

"No you don't," Bruce agreed. "But don't be surprised when you see the Hardwicke label in stores next time you go shopping for those pretty purple clothes of yours."

"I'll never be able to thank you for this," Lex said. "If there's ever anything I can do to repay you... anything at all... all you have to do is name it."

"You can be happy," Bruce said. "Be a good father."

"I will," Lex promised. "I swear, Bruce, you'll never regret this. I'll never make you think you made the wrong choice."

"She wanted to talk to you," Bruce warned. He envied his friend his new family, but knew Lex deserved it.

"What did you tell her?" He would talk to her if that was what she wanted. He was taking her child from her, after all. She deserved one last meeting face to face. And he knew he could trust Bruce to keep Clark under control if need be.

"I told her you'd meet with her," Bruce said. "Under the circumstances, it's for the best. She doesn't want visitation and won't be providing support. Do you want me to keep an eye on that young man of yours?"

"You'd better," Lex advised. "His opinion of Victoria was never high to begin with. I think he referred to her a minute ago as 'the egg donor'. It's almost like he's objectified her in his mind. And before you say anything, I know it's not healthy but there's not much we can do about it now."

"So I take it he doesn't have a problem with your child," Bruce chuckled darkly. "He probably felt left out and went to the other extreme. He objectified the mother to give him room in the baby's life."

"No, he doesn't have a problem with the child," Lex said, shaking his head. "Actually, if it hadn't been for Clark's insistence, I probably wouldn't have even tried for custody. I'd have let Lionel raise it."

"You said that before. Would you really have let Lionel raise her once you saw her?" Bruce asked. He'd seen the open adoration on Lex's face when he stared at the little girl.

"I'm not stupid, Bruce," Lex said. "I've have made sure I never saw her. Lionel would have, too. But that doesn't matter. She's mine, I'm taking her and there's nothing he can do to stop me."

"That sounds more like the Lex I know," Bruce clapped Lex on the shoulder. "Now don't let the fact that she just gave birth fool you. She's in room 521 and as bitchy as ever."

"Yeah and you don't let Clark bully you into letting him in there. He's not to go into that room under any circumstances. Understand?"

"He's a teenager," Bruce smirked. "What harm could he do?"

"Remind me to ask that of Dick some time," Lex shot back. "And trust me on this, Bruce, Clark can do ten times the damage Dick could ever hope to."

"You haven't seen Dick when he's on one of his rants," Bruce grumbled. He didn't think a kid like Clark was any threat compared to his Dick who was trained in the deadly arts and had a mean little pout. "But alright, I believe you. Now, get it over with."

"Thank you, my friend," Lex said. He stepped forward and hugged Bruce hard again, surprising the other man. He placed a soft, chaste kiss on his friend's mouth then stepped back. Smiling that trademark half-smile, Lex headed for Victoria's room. It was time to beard the lion.

Lex was surprised to find that Victoria wasn't in a luxurious private room. There were no flowers or balloons in this room like the others he'd passed. And most notably there was no doting family.

"I wondered if you'd come," Victoria said when he entered the room. "I thought you might refuse."

"We had to talk," Lex said simply, keeping several feet between him and the bed.

"I can't believe you actually want her," Victoria said, seeing no reason not to get this over with. She wanted Lex gone long before Lionel showed up. She was going to have enough on her hands without the Luthor men getting into a pissing contest.

"I can't believe you don't," Lex countered. He also couldn't believe that even now she had perfect make up and hair. She obviously had priorities other than motherhood.

"Why would I want a screaming brat demanding all my time?" Victoria asked. "The only reason I had the thing in the first place was to try to give Lionel a suitable heir. If I'd known the thing was yours I've had aborted it."

Lex felt the rage boil within. How could any mother say that? If she hated the child that much then he had no intention of ever letting her near the baby. "Well, she's not your concern anymore, is she? You got what you wanted from Bruce. It's just another way you whored your body."

"What are you going to name her?" Victoria asked, ignoring Lex's comment. She had given birth to the child. She felt she had a right to know what the girl would be called.

"We were going to name it after Jonathan if it was a boy," Lex said, taken slightly off guard by Victoria's change of topic. "We assumed it was boy because you said you were having a son."

"I never found out," Victoria said. "I was afraid to. I knew Lionel would drop me in a minute if it wasn't a boy."

Jonathan was the father he'd never had and he'd been so quietly proud when Clark had let it slip they were naming the baby after him. In a snap decision he answered, "Lillian Martha Joanna Kent."

"That's quite a mouthful," Victoria said, shaking her head. She'd never have guessed Lex could be so sentimental. She wasn't surprised he was naming the child after his sainted mother. It was the addition of the Kents that had thrown her. It was then that she realized exactly what Lex had said. Kent. He was giving the child his lover's last name. "Kent? Are you too ashamed of her to give her your name, Lex?"

"I'm changing my last name, too," Lex informed her.

"You're changing your last name to Kent?" Victoria asked, completely floored. "So you really are turning your back on your father for that boy. Lex, I can not believe you're going to walk away from everything you ever wanted over a piece of ass."

"It's quite a piece of ass," Lex smirked at her. He didn't want to give her the 'I love Clark' speech again. It was a waste of oxygen trying to explain love to her.

"Well, I hope you know what you're doing," she said, tiredly. "The child is all yours. I've turned over all my parental rights so there's no giving her back once she starts keeping you awake at night. I do have one question for you though. Just how long do you think that boy toy of yours is going to hang around now that you've got a kid to take care of? You think about that Lex."

"I'll worry about my... Lily," he said, trying the name on for size. "You don't even think about interrupting our lives. I don't want her to have any connection to you or Lionel."

"Oh Lex, I have no intention of interrupting Little House On The Prairie," Victoria laughed. "Take her and go. Tell her that her mother died when she was born."

"Your heart died a long time ago, Victoria," Lex spat and turned to leave. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Lionel standing in the doorway.

"Lex, I'm surprised to see you here," Lionel said, taking in the situation quickly.

"Lionel, I'm surprised you bothered to show up at all," Lex said coldly.

"Now, Lex, I was there when you were born after all. Why wouldn't I be here for the birth of this child?" Lionel shot back, his tone as conciliatory as ever.

"Because it's a girl and you find girls useless, except to fuck," Lex shot back.

"A girl?" Lionel asked, turning to Victoria immediately. "I thought you assured me it was a son."

"Mistakes happen," Victoria said, with a small shrug of her shoulders.

"Lex, get out," Lionel said. "Ms. Hardwicke and I have some things to discuss."

"By the time you tell him Victoria, we'll be gone," Lex said, leaving the room without so much as a farewell.

Bruce met him at the nursery. He could feel the anger radiating off Lex in waves. "I take it things didn't go well," he said, trying to diffuse the situation. He didn't want Lex this angry around the baby. It wasn't that he didn't trust his friend, he just didn't think it wise.

"We need to leave now," Lex snapped. They had to take the baby and get out of the building before his father came looking for them. He'd take her just to spite him.

"What's happened?" Bruce asked as Clark and his parents hurried over.

"Lionel showed up," Lex said, already moving over to the nursery window. He tapped on the glass to get the nurse's attention.

"Damn," Bruce swore. "I had hoped to be gone before he got here. You're right, we do need to go." Bruce nodded at the nurse and she quickly gathered up the infant. An extra blanket was wrapped tight around her then the nurse walked out with the child.

"You need to keep her warm. I would recommend keeping her indoors for the first couple of weeks until her immune system has had a chance to strengthen," she said as he placed the tiny bundle in Lex's arms.

"I know that it isn't normal procedure to take newborns home so early," Lex said, shifting the baby in his arms. "We appreciate your assistance."

"Mr. Wayne has explained the situation to me," she said. "Don't worry. They won't find anything out from me. Just keep this little one safe and we'll be even."

Clark was hovering protectively near the baby and Lex. "We have to go. I can hear them shouting."

"Come on then," Bruce said, leading the way. "I've got a limo waiting that can take you all back to Smallville. If you'll give me the keys I'll have someone drive your car back for you. I thought you might all like to ride together."

"We need a baby seat," Martha chimed in. "We'll have to stop and buy one."

"Everything's taken care of," Bruce said as they stepped into the elevator. "There's a car seat in the limo along with a diaper bag. It should have everything you'll need for a few days at least. I'll assume you don't want anyone in Smallville to know right now so I'll have the appropriate furniture delivered tomorrow. Is there any theme you wanted to go with?"

"Nothing pink," Clark made a face. "I hate pink. And nothing frilly or with bows. Lex likes purple."

"Purple it is then," Bruce smiled. "Maybe a nice shade of lavender. That'll be pretty for a little girl. I still can't believe you're a father, Lex."

"Ahhh... right a father," Lex nodded stupidly, taken aback by Lily in his arms for the first time. She was still sleeping contentedly, like she didn't have a care in the world. Or a father bonded to a teenaged alien, a mother who didn't want her and a grandfather who'd spirit her away to settle a grudge.

"Everything will be fine, Lex," Bruce told him, squeezing his shoulder. "You just worry about your daughter and your partner. Leave Lionel to me."

Clark glared at Bruce's hand on his lover's shoulder. Despite everything Bruce had done for them, he didn't like anyone touching Lex. He slipped his own hand onto Lex's lower back and said, "We have to go Lex. He's knows."

The limo was parked right outside. Bruce ushered them inside then climbed in behind. He could tell Clark was feeling a bit territorial but there were still things to be discussed. And, truthfully, Bruce just didn't want to let Lex out of his sight yet. Once they were safely back at the Kent Farm, with a few strategically placed men standing guard, then he'd feel safe. Until then, he'd keep an eye on things personally.

"Thank you, Mr. Wayne," Clark said settling down next to Lex. "I assume we'll drop you off at home on our way out of the city?"

"Nice try, kid," Bruce smiled. "I'm going to head back to Smallville with you. Just to make sure you get there okay. Someone's bringing your car so I'll ride back with them."

"Shouldn't you phone your wife?" Clark said, fishing for details. Lex had blocked the information relevant to Bruce in his mind. "I'm sure she'll be worried about."

"Don't read the society column much, do you?" Bruce replied. "I am very happily single. Though I will call home and let Dick know I won't be back until late. He worries." He pulled out his cell phone and hit the auto dial for the manor. Alfred answered and they talked for a moment. When Dick came on the line Bruce made it a point to tell the young man he loved him, hoping it would relax Clark a bit.

// Dick? // Clark snickered in his head.

// Be nice. Besides, you'll like him. // Lex smiled when Bruce hung up the phone. He didn't let details like that out for just anybody and Lex knew he did it to try to ease Clark's mind. It ended up taking all three of them to get the baby secured in the car seat correctly. Martha and Jonathan sat back and watched, amused as the three young men struggled.

"You have to put the strap between her legs," Clark said, quickly reading the instruction on the side of the car seat.

"That doesn't seem very comfortable," Lex mused. "Are you sure?"

"She doesn't have any... well, you know," Clark said with a wave of his hand. "And the car seat has to face the seat."

They finally managed to get her strapped in then they were on their way to Smallville. Bruce instructed the driver to pay extra attention to anyone following them for any length of time. When he turned back, he was struck by the sight of Clark pulling Lex against him as they stared down at the sleeping baby.

"Lex Junior is beautiful," Clark whispered, calling her by the nickname they'd used for the past month.

"Lex Junior?" Bruce laughed in surprise.

"It's what we've been calling her for the past month," Clark said defensively. He thought naming the baby after Lex was a great idea. They'd agreed on Jonathan for a middle name, but the first name had still been open for discussion. Clark had always wanted to name the baby after Lex. "We thought it was gonna be a boy. We can call her Alexa or Alexandra."

"Um, actually, I've already named her," Lex said tentatively.

"What?" Clark looked at Lex expectantly.

"I know we were going to decide together," Lex said quickly. "But Victoria cornered me and I just decided. Her name is Lillian Martha Joanna Kent."

"After your mom," Clark noted with a smile. "It's nice."

"Lex, you don't have to do that," Martha said, blushing. She couldn't believe that Lex wanted to name his daughter after them.

"You're right, I don't have to," Lex admitted. "But I want to. I want her to have her grandparent's names."

"You're serious about wanting her last name to be Kent then?" Bruce asked. It was a simple matter of paperwork really but he needed to know to have the proper documents drawn up.

"Of course," Lex nodded. "I'll be changing mine legally in about a year, after the wedding."

"Wedding, huh?" Bruce smiled. Lex really was in love. "I better be invited."

"I'll need a best man," Lex said. "And a godfather."

"You know I'll be happy to fill both roles." Bruce had to swallow around a lump in his throat. While being Lex's best man was no big deal, being his daughter's godfather was. "And it'll be a great excuse to get Dick into a tux again."

"I thought old rich guys liked to wear tuxes," Clark said with an oh so innocent look on his face.

Bruce burst out laughing. "Dick isn't old," he said once he could breath again. "He's probably closer to your age than mine. And he hates tuxedos. He'd rather run around in jeans with holes in them than put on a tux."

"He never did take to a proper wardrobe," Lex said mournfully. Despite Lex's repeated attempts to take Dick shopping, he would always fall back into his favourite Levis.

"No, though you can get him in one for the odd charity event now," Bruce replied remembering the numerous times he'd had to fight with Dick about just that thing.

"Lex wears jeans now," Clark added in, feeling left out.

"Really?" Bruce replied. "You're better for him than I thought, Clark."

"There're still designer," Lex sniffed.

Bruce shook his head. It was nice to see Lex this way, happy and content. He'd truly feared for his friend at times, wondering if he'd end up just like his father. Bruce never wanted to see the day that Lex became another Lionel. Now, he no longer had to worry.

<><><><><><>

Getting the baby into the car seat had been an adventure and getting her out required another conference between Clark, Lex and Bruce. Jonathan and Martha sat back and smiled patiently.

"Uh, Martha..." Lex began suddenly unsure. "Doesn't she need a crib or something to sleep in?"

"She can just sleep on the bed with us," Clark volunteered.

"Actually, I think the bassinet's still in the attic," Jonathan said. "If not, she can sleep in one of the dresser drawers for tonight. You don't want to take a chance on rolling over on her in the night, son."

"Right..." Clark said, looking at the little baby. It just dawned on him for the first time that he could end up killing her, even if it was an accident. He wouldn't risk hurting Lex's little girl. He made a decision then and there that he wouldn't even risk picking her up in case he dropped or crushed her.

"I'll go check the attic," Jonathan said.

"I'll have everything else you should need delivered tomorrow," Bruce told him. "You'll have to go shopping for things eventually but you'll have everything you need to get you through the next couple of weeks."

"The basinet is rather old," Martha warned. "But it's solid. Jonathan made it for me shortly after we got married."

"I'm sorry you never got to use it, Mom," Clark said softly. He felt bad about reminding his parents of everything they'd never had because of him. If he hadn't come along they could have adopted a baby, just like they'd always wanted.

"We'll get to use it now, sweetie," Martha said gently. She could tell her son was having one of his insecure moments. "After we got you, I always dreamed I could give it to you for our grandchildren."

"Really?" Clark asked, surprised. He would have thought his parents wouldn't want him to... breed.

"Of course. Now get that baby into the house before she catches a chill," Martha scolded.

They hurried inside, shutting the door quietly behind them. Lily had slept the entire way home from Metropolis and they didn't want to wake her if they could help it. Bruce excused himself to go help Jonathan with the bassinet. The sooner they got Lily taken care of the sooner everyone could get some rest.

Going up to the attic gave Bruce a chance to look around the Kent home. He had heard Lex had been exiled to Smallville and thought it would help him grow up a bit. The family man he knew now was responsible and very different from the young playboy who'd terrorized the clubs of Metropolis. The Kent house was very homey and Bruce couldn't help but noticed the bedroom Lex shared with Clark. Right next to their room was the spare room he was sure would be turned into the baby's room. The three-bedroom house was surely more modest than anything Lex had ever lived in before, but it felt like home. And Lex needed a home and a family.

"Jonathan," Bruce called out as he walked up the attic staircase, not wanting to startle the man.

"Over here," Jonathan called back. He was just getting the bassinet uncovered. He'd made it for Martha when they were first married. They had wanted a houseful of kids. But that had never happened. Now, though, he had a grandchild to make use of it and that brought a bittersweet smile to his face.

"I'm glad Lex has you to look out for him and his child," Bruce said simply. "If he didn't have your family, I would have insisted he come back to Wayne Manor with me."

"You're a good friend to him," Jonathan stated. "I know he doesn't like to ever appear weak but I'm not sure he would have made it through this without your help. It was just too much. Thank you for everything you've done. Not just for Lex, but for Clark, too. You probably know I wasn't too happy about things when they first got together. But Lex is part of my family now. I won't turn my back on him when he needs us."

"My guess is that you're an old fashioned man, but a good one," Bruce said. "Family is the most important thing in a person's life."

"I agree with you there," Jonathan said. "I don't know how I'd make it without my family. Frankly, I don't know how Lex turned into the man he is with Lionel Luthor as a father. I think... I think men like you have had a lot to do with that."

"Thank you," Bruce said, coughing lightly. "I suppose people who don't have family or whose family aren't there for them are drawn to each other."

"Maybe so," Jonathan said. "Maybe that's why Clark was so drawn to Lex. I mean, he's got us, but... you do know Clark's adopted?"

"No, I wouldn't have guessed it," Bruce said. "He acts very much like you and Martha."

"We got him when he was three," Jonathan said. "He was... abandoned. I think he's always felt like he found a kindred spirit in Lex."

"They do seem to complete each other," Bruce mused. "Sometimes they're so in tune, it's spooky. Like they read each other's minds."

Jonathan grew instantly uncomfortable. This conversation was getting a bit too close to things best left alone. "Um, yeah," he said. "Think you could give me a hand with this? I don't want to drop it going down the stairs."

"Jonathan," Bruce said, putting his hand on the man's arm. "Every man has his secrets. Whatever yours and your family's are, are safe with me."

Jonathan narrowed his eyes and took a deep breath. There was something dark about Bruce Wayne that spoke of the fact he had his own secrets to hide. "You're right. We all have secrets."

Bruce took hold of the bassinet and helped Jonathan carry it toward the staircase. He knew that Jonathan understood what he was trying to say. He could tell that these people, for all their outward appearances, had secrets. As long as Lex didn't seem worried about it, he'd let it lie.

"She's going to look so overwhelmed, even in this small piece of furniture," Bruce noted as they moved it down the hall to the boy's room.

"She'll grow into it faster than you think," Jonathan smiled.

"She's pretty tiny," Bruce said with a hint of doubt. It was hard to believe the tiny bundle would someday be a rambunctious toddler. "Fine boned, like Lex."

"Living on a farm will make her strong," Jonathan said certainly. "And girls always seem tiny. In no time she'll be knee high and running all over the place."

They settled the bassinet next to the boy's bed and started to clean the dust off. "I have some baby blankets in the diaper bag. They should do for now, but they're pink. I just assumed you dressed girls in pink."

"You normally do," Jonathan said. "But Clark has always hated pink. Besides, do you really think Lex would dress his child in anything other than purple?"

"I suppose not," Bruce laughed. "Sometimes I think he has an unnatural attachment to that colour."

"Sometimes?" Jonathan laughed. "Don't tell him, but Martha's making him a purple flannel shirt. I can't wait to see the look on his face when she gives it to him."

"Designer jeans and purple flannel," Bruce snorted. "That's as close to countrified as you're going to get Lex."

They were still struggling with the bassinet when they heard the distinctive squawking of a newborn. Lily had woken up and was adamantly protesting her dirty diaper or empty stomach. Lex and Clark just couldn't figure out which one it was.

"Alright boys, I'll fix her bottle while you two get her changed," Martha said, setting the diaper bag on the table and rummaging through it for what they'd need. She pulled out a bottle and a canister of formula and set them down then dug out a clean diaper and some baby wipes and handed them to Clark.

Clark gave Lex a blank look. "We have to change her."

"Spread out a towel on the table," Martha said as she read the formula canister. "Then unfasten her outfit. You should only have to undo the bottom of it. Once you've got that off, take the diaper off and clean her up. When you've got that far, I'll tell you what to do next."

"You change her, Lex," Clark said quickly, "I'll hand you the stuff."

"Alright," Lex smiled at his lover. "But you've got to learn how to do this, too."

"I'll watch carefully," Clark promised, even though he had no intention of doing it. It wasn't the contents of the diaper that frightened him, it was the idea of picking her up.

Lex did as Martha instructed, trying not to turn his nose up when the diaper came off. He didn't know what the hell they had fed his child but whatever it was, it was absolutely disgusting coming back out. He cleaned her up without too much grimacing then turned to his mother-in-law for what to do next.

"Stop making that face and put the new diaper on her," Martha laughed.

"Don't I have to do anything else first?" Lex asked, sure there was some sort of powder or lotion or something involved.

"Lay the new diaper under her and then put some baby powder on. Then do the diaper up. That way you don't get it all over the place," Martha clarified. She forgot what new fathers were like.

"Right," Lex said. He carefully lifted her and slid the diaper underneath. A quick sprinkling of powder and he was taping the diaper up. He was careful to get it tight enough without making it too tight. When he was finished he smiled down at his now quiet daughter and felt his heart nearly burst.

She looked up at him with bright, blue eyes and made a few squawking sounds. "She has your eyes, Lex," Clark noted with a goofy smile on his face.

"All babies have blue eyes at first," Lex said. "But I hope hers stay that way."

"I'm sure they will," Clark said with confidence. "She has everything else from you."

Martha came back over with the bottle then and handed it to Lex. "Ready to feed her, Papa?"

"Daddy," Clark corrected. "Papa's too old fashioned. Plus she's gonna be a daddy's girl."

Lex picked his daughter up and positioned her with Martha's help. "If I'm Daddy, what are you going to be?" he asked Clark as he slipped the bottle into her mouth.

"Clark," Clark said with a shrug of his shoulders. "I figured I'd be Uncle Clark if I was lucky."

"You're my mate, Clark. I gave her your name, for Christ's sake," Lex said, growing very serious. "That makes you her parent, too. You're going to be a hell of a lot more than Uncle Clark to her."

"So what's that make me then?"

"Papa?" Lex offered. "Da? Daddy Clark? Take your pick. Or we'll come up with something else."

"I can live with Papa," Clark said. "You're her Daddy."

"Papa it is then," Lex said. "Clark... she's our daughter. Yours and mine both. Please, love, I really don't think I can do this on my own."

"Of course she's ours, Lex," Clark said quickly. "I wanted her from the moment you said she could have been yours."

"Sorry, you just seemed like you were pulling away or something," Lex said.

"She'll always have something special with you," Clark admitted hesitantly. "She looks so much like you already. You're part of her. I'll just be helping to raise her, which is more than I ever expected. I never thought I'd have kids."

"Clark..." Lex began, unsure what to say. He'd told Clark they could have children of their own, but that had been children that were part of both of them. Lily, biologically anyway, was solely Lex's. A shaft of white-hot fear shot through Lex as he wondered if this had been a mistake. He truly didn't think he could survive it if gaining his daughter ended up costing him the other half of his soul.

"I love her, Lex," Clark said when he felt his lover's fear. "She's a blessing. This was the only safe way we could have children."

"Are you sure?" Lex asked, uncertainly. Lily had finished her bottle and Lex set it on the table. He raised her up to his shoulder and tried to burp her. He knew this was part of the process, he just wasn't quite sure how to go about it. A moment later, a loud burp sounded from the tiny baby startling both men.

"I'm sure. She's safe. She doesn't have my genes," Clark continued.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lex asked, brow knitting.

"Nothing, Lex," Clark said hastily. "We should just enjoy this time together."

"No, tell me what you meant by that," Lex said. "Why would you think there's something wrong with your genes?"

"Do you really think it would be fair to pass on my genes to an innocent child?" Clark sighed.

"What's wrong with your genes?" Lex asked completely perplexed. "I'd think a child of yours would be wonderful. Maybe a bit of a handful, sure. But nothing we couldn't handle between the four of us."

"I just want our kids to be normal," Clark tried to explain.

"Being born a Luthor isn't exactly the foundation for normalcy," Lex said. "Besides, I'd give up normal in a heartbeat for you, love."

"You're not normal either," Clark said with a large grin, hoping to disarm Lex. "You're smarter than anyone I know and you're cute as hell. Sounds like good breeding stock to me."

"Ha ha," Lex said, smiling. Lily had gone to sleep in his arms and he wanted to get her settled for the night. He looked toward the stairs and grinned even wider when he heard a muffled curse drift down to them. "Sounds like they're having a little trouble with it."

"That sounds like dad when he's trying to fix the tractor," Clark noted.

"And that sounds like Bruce," Lex said when a particularly colourful stream of curses floated down to them.

Martha walked over to the stairway and shouted, "Don't swear like that with the baby in the house."

Both boys winced and glanced quickly at Lily. Luckily she had slept through the ruckus and still lay peacefully in Lex's arms. At last they had the bassinet set up and they carried her upstairs to put her down. Bruce bid them all good night, saying he'd return to Metropolis in the limo and would probably see them sometime tomorrow, after his meeting with Lionel.

"You're meeting with Lionel? Since when?" Lex demanded.

"It's all been arranged," Bruce said. "As soon as I had the test results I set up a meeting with him. I told you, Lex, he's not going to be a threat to you or your family any longer. And if Bruce Wayne can't scare him off, I can arrange for a visit from someone else as well."

"You're doing too much for us," Lex scolded half-heartedly. He was actually relieved he wouldn't have to deal with his father.

"I could never do too much," Bruce said as he saw himself out. "Take care of your family, Lex. I'll take care of the rest."

"I like him," Clark admitted begrudgingly. It was as close to praise as he could get to any man who held even a scrap of Lex's affection.

"So do I," Lex said. "He's a good friend. A trusted one. Clark, if anything ever happens... you can go to Bruce. He'll protect you. Protect your family. Guard your secrets. Whatever you need. Remember that."

"I will," Clark said. "Maybe that Dick of his... ahhh, well, his Richard, maybe he can be the other godfather if you like him, too. I mean, make them part of the family."

"Dick would be thrilled," Lex said. "He and Bruce are together, you know that. Sometimes, though, I think he has some doubts about his place in Bruce's world. Not in his life, mind you, but Dick doesn't have the same background as Bruce does. Sometimes he feels a bit out of place."

"I know how he feels," Clark admitted.

"I know," Lex said. "But now, so do I. I'm a part of your world now, Clark. And let me tell you, I don't know the first thing about being a farmer."

"Neither did I," Martha cut in. "I was a city girl and now I can sling muck with the best farmwife."

"Oh good," Lex smirked. "You can teach me how to be the proper Kansas farm wife then."

"Well, I was going to save this for later," Martha hedged. "But I think now is the perfect time." She walked over to one of her storage cabinets and riffled around. She pulled out a purple plaid flannel shirt and held it up. "First thing you need on a farm is flannel."

Lex stared at his mother-in-law. "Flannel?" he mimicked. "You want me to wear flannel? Granted, it is purple, for which I am eternally grateful, but... flannel?"

Clark continued to smile at his mother and hissed at Lex through the bond. // She made it herself. //

// I know that. You can't get purple flannel, Clark. // Lex broke out into a smile and took the proffered shirt. He pulled Martha into a hug, feeling more accepted than he ever had in his life. "Thank you," he said sincerely. "I... you have no idea how much it means to me when you make me feel like I belong."

"You'll be thankful for it on those chilly morning feedings," Martha said. "Flannel may not appeal to your sense of fashion, Lex, but it's practical... and washable."

"Washable, huh? Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be basing my wardrobe choices on how well they resist staining?"

"Because babies are poop and puke machines," Clark crowed quietly, pointing to the spot on Lex's shoulder he had missed before. "And drool. Just like she's drooling on you now."

"Yeah, well, go ahead and laugh," Lex said. "You'll have your share of it, too, Papa."

"Puke camouflages in flannel," Clark deadpanned.

"Good, then you won't have a problem when she pukes on you right before you go to school," Martha put in, smiling devilishly. "Why don't you two head on up to bed while she's still asleep? We'll call you in to school tomorrow, honey, so don't worry about getting up on time."

"I might as well tell all of you now..." Clark said quickly. "I won't be going back to school."

"Clark, we agreed," Lex said, clenching his teeth. "I've done whatever you wanted in all of this. You are going back to school and that's that."

"But, Lex, you'll need me around," Clark argued. "I want to protect you if Lionel tries anything."

"Lionel isn't going to try anything. Bruce will see to that one way or another," Lex said firmly. "And yes, I do need you around, but I need you to get an education, too. I can take care of the baby, Clark. I have your folks here to help if need be. You aren't quitting school."

"But Lex, I can get an education at home," Clark argued. "I have a photographic memory. What I can't pick up, you can help me with."

"No," Lex said firmly. "You need a life, Clark. Friends, social events. I know that all sounds so trivial next to raising our child but they're not. You're not going to become some recluse that never leaves the fucking farm. I want more of a life for you than that. Damn it, Clark, don't you make me regret this."

"I..." Clark wanted to argued but stopped when Lex's words about regretting their new family sank it. He caved immediately. "Sorry, Lex."

"Look, we're both tired," Lex said, trying to get his temper under control. "I don't regret this. I could never regret this, even if you do drop out of school. The thing is... I don't want you to regret this. Okay? I don't want you to look back on your life and regret everything I kept you from doing. If dropping out of school is what you really want, I'll stand behind you. I'm your mate, Clark. That's what mates do. But I don't think it's right."

"Can I stay home in the future if you need me?" Clark asked in a meek voice.

"You can do whatever you feel is best," Lex said. "I'm not your parent. You don't have to ask my permission to do things."

"Yes, I do," Clark said barely above a whisper.

"No, love, you don't," Lex said softly. "You don't need my permission for anything. Do you know why?"

"Because you love me," Clark repeated.

"That's part of it," Lex smiled, taking Clark's hand and kissing his fingers. "And because there is nothing, I repeat nothing, you could do that would make me leave you. Hurt me, betray me, sleep around on me. They would hurt, but walking out that door on you would kill me."

"You're stuck with me," Clark said, caressing Lex's cheek. "Even if our life is like a bad soap opera."

Lex snorted at that and squeezed Clark's hand. "Martha, I think we'll head up to bed now. We'll see you in the morning... or this afternoon..."

"I would think I'd see you in about..." she looked down at her watch. "Ohhh, about two hours."

"That soon?" Lex asked, knowing what she was referring to.

"Maybe a little sooner, maybe a little more," Martha smiled. "All babies are different."

Lex sighed. He'd known this was going to happen, he just hadn't been prepared for the reality of it. He really should have been reading up on all this but he didn't want to get all prepared for something that might not even happen. If he knew Bruce, though, his friend would be sure to have a few baby books included in the things to be delivered tomorrow.

Clark was about to volunteer to feed the baby when he remembered that would involve picking her up. He needed a lot less sleep than his lover to function. "Can you feed her while she's in the bassinet?" He didn't think so, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

"I don't think so," Lex said. He could sense Clark's unease and it puzzled him. "She's too young. She can't hold the bottle yet. Besides, newborns need to be held."

"Right," Clark nodded. "I'll watch you and Mom feed her for the first little while then."

"What is it?" Lex asked. "What's got you so nervous?"

"Nothing," Clark denied, cutting off his fears of hurting Lily from the bond.

"Tell me," Lex said as he pulled Clark up the stairs and into their room. "I may not be able to make it better but I'd at least like to know."

"It's just that I won't be able to help you take care of Lily like I want to," Clark admitted sullenly.

"Why not?" Lex asked, thinking it had something to do with Clark and school. As much as he hated to he was ready to concede the point on that one. Nothing that made Clark this unhappy was worth it.

He walked over to the bassinet and stared down at the sleeping little girl. He wanted to reach out and at least touch her, but he didn't even dare to do that. As if his very touch could hurt such a tiny being. "She's worth too much to risk," Clark admitted barely above a whisper.

A light went off in Lex's head and he smiled. "Clark, you're not going to hurt her," he said. "You couldn't. She's our child and you already love her."

"I love her, but we don't know I won't hurt her. I hurt you and I love you."

"You have hurt me, I'm not going to deny that. But only when I've asked you to. You've never hurt me on accident or out of anger. You never will. And you certainly won't hurt that tiny little girl of ours."

"But that's just it," Clark argued. "She's so tiny. What if I get distracted?"

"You won't," Lex said with all the confidence of a Luthor. "I trust you completely, Clark. Trust yourself."

"But look at her, Lex," Clark motioned to the sleeping baby, as if that explained everything. "Maybe when she's older, I can hold her a bit."

Deciding waking Lily up was worth the risk if it helped calm Clark's fears, Lex reached in and lifted the infant. "Hold out your arms," he said softly.

"Lex... no..." Clark looked absolutely horrified.

"Hold out your arms, Clark," Lex said again. "This is my daughter. You're my mate. Do you honestly think I'd do anything to put either one of you in danger?"

"I'll drop her," Clark argued. "Or... or I could crush her."

"You won't do either," Lex said soothingly as he moved closer to Clark. He held the little bundle out at his lover and practically willed him to take her. "She's a part of me. You could never do anything to harm me. The bond wouldn't let you even if you could."

Lex arms were outstretched with the baby, but that didn't stop Clark from unconsciously moving his own hands under the bundle, just in case. The temptation to hold her was over powering when she was so close. "Maybe... maybe just for a moment."

Lex's grinned widened as Clark carefully took the child in his arms. He pulled her close to his body, cradling her against it and smiled down at her. She moved around a bit at first then settled down into his arms without a whimper. It dawned on Clark then that this was his daughter. His child to raise and teach and help grow up. And while she may not be his blood, he wasn't Jonathan and Martha's either.

Clark focused all his senses on Lily. Concentrating his hearing on her heartbeat and breathing. He could smell her... similar to Lex, but sweeter. Lex watched for all intents purposes as Clark imprinted on their daughter.

"Why don't you get on the bed with her?" Lex suggested. "I'll go down and make sure there's a bottle ready for when she wakes up. Think you'll be okay?"

Clark nodded, his attention still focused complete on Lily. Lex noticed Clark was examining her tiny feet and hands now, counting the digits.

He slipped downstairs quickly, surprising Martha and Jonathan when he entered the kitchen. "I just wanted to get a bottle ready for later," he explained as he set about pulling things out of the diaper bag again.

"Finally got Clark to hold the baby?" Martha asked.

"Yeah," Lex said ruefully as he read the directions on the formula. "He was scared he was going to hurt her. Like that could ever happen."

"It was fairly obvious he was petrified of her," Martha noted.

"I don't know why," Lex said, looking to his in-laws for guidance. "I've never known Clark to accidentally hurt anyone, especially a child."

"He's a man," Martha offered up the simple explanation. "Or if you want to get complicated, he's an only child who's never been around infants."

"It's not like I've had a lot of experience with them myself," Lex replied. He measured out the formula and filled the bottle then set it in the refrigerator. Now, when Lily woke up all they had to do was heat it in the microwave. Assuming, of course, she hadn't already awoken and just hadn't gotten around to screaming yet.

"Get some sleep while you can," Jonathan warned. "You'll need it."

"Yes, sir," Lex said. He quickly bid them goodnight and hurried up the stairs. He moved as quietly as he could, not wanting to wake Lily if she was still asleep. When he walked into the bedroom he froze in his tracks. Clark lay slumped against the headboard with Lily resting peacefully on his chest.

Lex snuck over to the dresser and picked up his camera. He snapped Lily's first picture ever and it was with her Papa Clark.

Clark awoke at the sound of the camera going off. He looked around dazedly, his hands automatically coming up around Lily protectively. He smiled when he saw Lex set the camera back on the dresser. "Wanna put her back in her bassinet and come snuggle with me for a while?" Clark asked, hopefully.

"What kind of snuggling did you have in mind?" Lex asked with a weary smile. Having a teenaged lover and new baby in the house would prove interesting.

"The nice relaxing kind," Clark said, holding his breath as Lex picked up their daughter and tenderly placed her back inside her bassinet. "Just you and me falling asleep together for however long she'll let us."

"Maybe we'll luck out and she'll sleep through the night when she's old enough..." Lex mused.

"Unlike her daddy," Clark teased.

"We could hope," Lex mused, slipping his shirt off and tossing it in the hamper. He toed his shoes off and shed his pants, depositing them with the shirt.

"You know, I don't need as much sleep as you," Clark said. "I could take the night feedings since you'll be taking care of her during the day."

"How about we trade off on the night feedings?" Lex suggested. "I can always sleep during the day. You have school, if you go back, and your chores."

"If you promise to take better care of yourself," Clark decided to negotiate.

"I promise," Lex said. "I have a family to think about now. I have to take better care of myself."

"And mom will be watching to make sure," Clark said. Although it really wasn't a big problem now that Lex wasn't working 24/7 and eating properly. He'd filled out a little with the good food and farm work, too.

"I'm sure she will be." Lex settled into bed next to Clark and snuggled down under the covers. He laid his head on Clark's chest near where Lily had been just moments before. He could still smell the faint scent of baby powder and he actually felt his eyes fill with tears.

Clark caressed Lex's cheek and kissed the top of his head. "We're a family now," he whispered.

"Almost," Lex said. "Still want to marry you, take your name and all that. I want you for my husband, Clark. Then my family will be complete."

"Married with children," Clark chuckled. "And don't forget the little green men. Our lives sound like they could be on some TV show."

"Don't even go there, Clark," Lex chuckled. "Get some sleep. She'll have us up soon enough."

"Yep," Clark agreed, with a big yawn. "Night, daddy."

"Night, papa."

END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to creed_cascade@hotmail.com