Title: "Rapier Wit"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Friendship, Chlex, slight humor, slight angst, Chloe's POV, futurefic, answer to a Challenge, AU

Spoilers: Kinetic

Summary: Chloe hides in a closet, with a friend. Or is he more than a friend?

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me. As to Zorro, whomever owns the character, I'm just borrowing, will give him back, not making any money with his use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: At TBT, SPP, BtS, Intrepid, Wwomb, Verbal Judo, Malu's site and my page on Wendy's site. Anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This piece has a duel purpose---first off, it's an answer to a challenge I made to Kathryn. Second, it's a birthday gift to my beta, David. Hope you enjoy it, David. So this is dedicated to David and Kathryn. And to Piper, who gave it a sneak a peek and helped it shine so much better. Enjoy, everybody.

This is an answer to a challenge that I made to Kathryn. Since I found out from David that sending out a double dare challenge and throwing down the gauntlet too, means---you gotta do one too, sweetie---I did it. And surprise---it's your early birthday present fic too, David. Happy Early Birthday, dude from Smallville. Enjoy everybody. Prolific Peggy.


"Rapier Wit"

by PMD


Chloe, what are you doing? Snooping again? Remember what happened the last time---falling out a window ring a bell? I must be crazy---I must be insane---I must---be a reporter. Oooo, I haven't seen this room before.

I walk into a room that looks like something out of the 16th century. "Bet this is called the war or weapon room," I state, with my rapier wit. "Oooo a rapier to go with my wit!" I say, smirking at my choice of words, as I spot a sword.

I pick it up and test it's strength. Not many people know but I took fencing lessons, mainly because my Dad said I come from a long line of fencers, from my mother's side. Seems that I might be a direct descendant of the person whom Zorro was fashioned after. Talk about big shoes to fill.

"En garde!" I say, taking the proper stance.

"You haven't by any chance seen a reporter, James?" I hear from the hallway. Oh My God---Lex!

I drop the sword where I found it. Where can I hide? I look around the room and finally see a closet near the front. I run to it and open the door, getting in just before I hear somebody entering the room.

I feel a slight pinch to my back and turn around. Oh great---the storage closet for more rapiers---I better watch what I do here or I might come out, looking like a pin cushion. Why the hell did I come in here? It's not like I'm scared of the man! But then, I promised him I would never go exploring again, unless he was there. He's afraid I might get hurt again, I guess. And I don't like breaking my promises---or at least getting caught doing that.

"Chloe?" I hear him ask. "Chloe, if you're in here, I forgive you for leaving the study."

Gee how magnanimous of him, I think, smirking.

"Chloe---" He stops speaking. Then I hear him walking towards the closet and I move as close to the corner as I can, trying to hide in the darkness. The door opens and he walks in, leaving the door slightly ajar.

I keep my breath as shallow as possible and watch him looking out the slight crack he has left himself.

"Lex, where are you? Alexander, I need to talk to you now!"

I giggle. Wrong thing to do, Chloe.

"Chloe," I hear him whisper. "I know you're in here, Sullivan!"

I walk towards his voice. "Lex, I'm sorry I---" He puts his hand over my mouth to stop me speaking.

"Shhhhhsh---wait till he leaves."

He turns back to the door and we listen. "Alexander---you can't hide from me forever!"

That's the last sound we hear from the Monster of Metropolis. We both let out a sigh, as we hear him walk out the door.

"All right, why are you in here?" he asks.

"I could ask the same of you," I state.

"You first," he replies.

"All right---but can we get out of here first. I'm going to turn into a pin cushion, if I'm not careful."

"All right," he states, as he opens the door---and we find ourselves face to face with his father.

"Lex---Ms. Sullivan---what's the meaning of this?"

"None of your business, Father!" he states, walking out of the closet, with me following behind.

"Ms. Sullivan?" Mr. Luthor asks me.

"I'm with him," I state.

"Well, we'll get to the bottom of this later. For now, Lex, I need to speak to you."

"About business?" he asks him.

"No---about this interview you're having with a reporter. I don't want you doing it."

"Hey!" I yell out.

"What, Ms. Sullivan?" he asks.

"I'm the reporter---don't talk like I'm not in the room. I hate when people do that."

"So do I!" Lex states. "Father, I promised her an interview for the Torch and since she's graduating in a few weeks, I better get it done now!"

"Lex---I forbid---"

"Excuse me? You forbid your grown son to do an interview. Who died and made you God, Mr. Luthor?" I ask, steamed.

"Ms. Sullivan---will you please leave this room so I can talk to my son?"

"No!"

"No?" he asks, moving towards me. Lex starts towards me to intercept his father.

"Back off!" I state, which has him moving back and smiling.

"Well, I can see that you're a very impolite young girl."

"Girl---I'm a woman, you---sorry excuse for a father!"

He walks closer, thinking this will make me back down but he doesn't know me that well.

"Leave---now!"

"No!"

He decides to take a different tactic. "What will it take to have you leave this room?"

"You bribing me now, Mr. Luthor?"

"Maybe."

I smirk at him. "Hmmmm---let me think. Okay, I get to interview Lex and you leave this castle forever."

He gives me a smirk. "Very clever---you want me out of Lex's life forever so you can control him, rather than me control him."

"No---I don't want to control him. I want him to find his own way, without your poisoned influence."

"How noble of you, my dear. And what does my son have to say about this?"

We turn towards Lex and I see something there that I never saw before. He's happy. And something I have seen once upon a time, when my rapier wit and his, verbal judoed.

"To quote a very knowledgeable person---'I'm with her', Father!"

"Alexander, I'm your father!"

"Since when," he states, walking towards him. "Goodbye, Father. Have a nice life and drop us a postcard, once in a while."

"Lex?"

He turns his back to his father and I watch the man walk out, still steaming mad. Then it hits me.

"Drop us a postcard?" I ask, mystified.

He turns around and I watch as the man walks slowly towards me. He's like a panther, coming towards it's prey---mesmerizing it to the point where it can't move.

He reaches out a hand to touch my cheek, gaging my reaction to his closeness. Why do I feel happy right now? I let out a sigh that he hears and I see that smile again, shining through the darkness---lighting up my soul. He kisses me, gently at first and then insistently.

"Mr. Luthor, where are you?"

We jump back from each other and look around for a place to hide. He gives me a slight smirk, as he leads me to the closet once more and we go in, closing the door now.

"Now, where were we before we were rudely interrupted?" he whispers, his rapier wit shining through.

"Right here," I state, my rapier wit answering his, just before we kiss.

I pray this will always be---our wits leading us on a dance, ending with a kiss that sends us to the stars and back to earth.

The End.