Title: "Nobody Loves Me Like You Do"

Author: PMD

e-mail:
mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13/R

Category: Chlex married, futurefic, songfic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game.

Summary: Chloe muses about her significant other.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, the song lyrics to Nobody Loves Me Like You Do, Will and Grace and the characters from that show, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BtS, BT2, SPP, Malu and Sabby's sites for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is dedicated first and foremost to Imp who inspires me with her challenges. And Kathy, who put the seed of this idea in my mind one early summer morning. I also dedicate this to David, who is an incredible beta and friend. Since this is a surprise for him, it's unbetaed. I also want to dedicate this to all the people out there that have encouraged me to write up in the higher ratings---well, I tried---hope I succeeded. <g> Enjoy.



Nobody Loves Me Like You Do

by PMD

I creep out of bed to use the bathroom. As I move past the vanity mirror, in the bathroom, I catch a glimpse of myself. I don't look different? But I feel different. I feel loved and adored.

Nobody tells you how you will feel after being joined in the oldest dance of all---making love. Maybe it's because it's unexplainable. There are no words to describe what I feel right now---only feelings. Only that incredible feeling of being one with somebody else. To know that in their eyes, you are the most important person in their world. And you feel the same way.

I walk out of the bathroom and glance at our bed, sighing. God, I love this man so much it's overwhelming at times. He would slay a dragon for me and I would patch him up after he did it. He would sail the world to bring back the freshest coffee beans and I would help him brew it. He's my best friend in the whole world and even though we have crossed that line---took that leap of faith---I still know he's my best friend and always will be.

He moves, letting out a groan, instinctively knowing I'm not there. I see the frown in the light coming from the bathroom and start to move towards him when he stops and lets out a sigh. Somehow, he knows I'm close by and that's enough for him right now. That I will soon be back in his arms and we can make wild, unbridled, passionate, sweet love, once again.

A sweet love tempered with emotions that run strong and deep. It's like we knew each other from another lifetime---maybe we were lovers then too. Or maybe just friends. Once again, our bond is strong with emotions.

I remember the first time I met the man---he was talking with a good friend and walked over to me. I put out my hand and we shook. I felt it then, just as strong as I feel it now---friendship, kinship, an acceptance of who he was and who I was. And we still have this friendship---the emotions that came from that day---still there, as strong as ever. So, how did we end up crossing the path to romance?

It happened a couple of months after he came back from his ill-fated marriage. After a really hard day, he walked into the Talon, ready to take the head off of anybody who talked to him. The lucky person was me but I gave as well as I took. Finally, I walked out, while he was in the middle of a sentence. That irked him so much that he followed me out and grabbed my arm. I looked straight into his eyes and he took it away. He pushed me into the alleyway and we argued once more until there was a deafening silence. But not for long---he grabbed me and kissed my lips.

We were both surprised at his boldness---for about 5 seconds. Then, we enjoyed it. The enjoyment went through various stages----a modicum of lust at first but that went away to be replaced by something neither of us expected but maybe we suspected a couple of times---love.

The kiss itself went on forever. We deepened it, lips searching for the perfect position---tasting, nipping, laving, and loving. Finally we had to back away and as I stared into his beautiful seafoam eyes, we didn't have to say the words---there was love there. As deep as the deep blue sea. And just as wide for both of us.

He leaned towards me, kissing my forehead and then lead me to his car, his home, and his bed. That was a year ago and I haven't strayed since.

Another movement from the bed and I smile. While I was remembering, he has taken one of my pillows and now his face is nestled close to it. I make my move towards the bed but then hear something outside of the window. I move, going to investigate it.

I open the balcony door and walk out, noticing the sky is lightening and the something I heard---two lovebirds singing their sweet melody.

I shiver slightly, thinking I should go back in. But I can't, the deep oranges and yellows---the vibrant blue's and mauves, are bringing the world back to life and I want to watch it.

"You're going to catch your death and I wouldn't want that to happen."

I turn around to see him standing there. "I thought you were asleep."

"You thought wrong, wife."

"Yes, well, I can't be right every time," I state, with a slight smile.

"Oh, can I quote you on that."

"No---who's the reporter in this family?"

"You are," he states, walking over and placing the shawl he brought with him around my shoulders.

"You got that right, Bub. I quote in this family," I reply, letting out a sigh when he puts his arms around my waist. I lean against him. "Isn't that sky beautiful?"

He nuzzles my neck. "Not as beautiful as you are. Chloe?"

"Yes?"

"Come back to bed."

"To sleep?"

"What do you think?"

"Can we just watch the sky for a bit---I need to rest---you wore me out, husband."

He moves away from me and is standing in my vision in seconds. I look up into his pools of blue, impishness in those orbs that say so much. "It's your fault."

"My fault? Why is it my fault?"

He leans over and whispers, "You're so darn addictive---I can't get enough of you, Chlo."

He backs away and I smile. "One addiction that you will have for the rest of your days?" I ask.

"And into our other lives together, Sweetheart," he states, pulling me into his warm embrace.

I let out a sigh as he moves away and puts his arm around my shoulder. We both stare out at the mountain range in the distance.

That's what our love life is like. I feel like I'm climbing the highest mountain when we're making love. And when we both hit our peak, it's the summit. It also feels like we are touching the hand of God---for I believe that Clark may have introduced us to each other, but God or some being out there, lead us to believe we could be more than friends.

"You know, that mountain reminds me of our love life."

I look up at Lex. "You reading my mind again, Lex?"

He looks down and grins. "Maybe---just like you read mine at times."

I snuggle close to him and let out a sigh. "You know---I think of our love making as more than physical---it's emotional or spiritual too."

"I agree. I've had sex with many a woman but I've never made love until you."

"How many?"

"Oh, no. We're not doing a Grace and Nathan here."

I giggle at that. "Okay---you can have your little secret number of lovers---I'm fine with that."

I hear him sigh again. "Thanks. So---"

He stops talking when we hear a rumble. "What was that?" I ask.

"Thunder?"

"Let's find out," I reply.

He moves away and takes my hand, not wanting to let go of the closeness yet. We walk over to the radio to find out about the weather and he turns it on.

"No way," I state.

"This is weird," he replies, as the song---our first dance song---is the song the DJ announces on the radio. He looks at me, a smile on his face. "Want the weather report or do you want to dance?"

"Dance," I state, as the melody starts.

He takes me out to the middle of the balcony and we start to sway to the music:

"Like a candle burnin' bright,
Love is flowing in your eyes
A flame to light our way
That burns brighter every day
Now I have you
Nobody loves me like you do"

His eyes are always bright with compassion for his friends. But it's much brighter with love for me. It's a flame that lights up the darkest days for me---and it grows with every moment that I have known him; never diminishing. And I know, deep in my heart, nobody loves me like he does.

"Like a leaf upon the wind
I could find no place to land
I dreamed the hours away,
Wondered every day
Do dreams come true?
Nobody loves me like you do"

Like him, for so many years, I have found love in wrong places. We were restless---had no place to land until we finally came forward and landed in each other's arms---safe and sound. I dreamed my life away, wondering if I would ever find my dream of true love---and I found it with him because nobody loves me like he does.

"What if I never met you?
Where would I be right now?
Funny how life just falls in place somehow
You touched my heart in places
That I never even knew
Nobody loves me like you do"

It's funny how fate or some Supreme Being leads you to love and you wonder, what if it had never happened---where would I be in life right now---pounding away on the computer? Having no social life whatsoever? But something or somebody stepped in and we're no longer lonely. You've touched me in so many places I never knew I had in my heart and soul and it's because you love me like nobody else ever could.

"I was words without a tune
I was a song still unsung
A poem with no rhyme
Dancer out of time
But now there's you
Nobody loves me like you do"

We just didn't make sense---it was like a part of us was missing until we found each other. As friends, as best friends, and then as two people lucky enough to find a love that created words for music, gave rhyme to a rhymeless world, and made a dancer dance in time to the music of the heart. And it's because nobody loves me like he does.

"What if I never met you?
Where would I be right now?
Funny how life just falls in place somehow
You touched my heart in places
That I never even knew
Nobody loves me
Nobody loves me
Nobody loves me like you do-oo-oo-oo-oo
Nobody loves me like you do"

As the song fades away, I find that we're back in the room. He leads me back to the bed. I smile as he lays me down and puts his body over mine, a human quilt of warmth.

"Lex, I told you I'm---"

He places his finger over my lips. "I know---I just want to get close to you. To---"

"I know, Lex."

He looks at me through the eyes of love. "Time for a bit more rest. However---later on," he states, as he moves away---a devilish grin on his face.

"How about a kiss to build a dream on?"

"Whatever milady wants," he states, leaning over and kissing me deeply. Once again, I'm lost in this magical world we create whenever we are close together---the only sound heard, our moans of gratitude to whatever being brought us together.

Then he backs away and moves to the balcony. I watch him turn the radio off, look out over the railing to hear the birds once more, and then make his way back in, closing the doors. He walks over, noticing I'm under the covers. I lift up one corner and he joins me.

I snuggle in and he lets out a sigh. I look up.

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"Nobody loves me like you do," I answer.

"Nobody loves me like you do," he replies back, kissing me softly.

I let out a sigh, as I snuggle close, knowing that, for the rest of our lives, that one sentence says it all. For all the lovemaking, snarking, companionship, admiration, caring and sharing---that one sentence is all it comes down to---nobody loves me like you do.

END