Title: "Male Bonding"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Series: Sequel to 'Female Bonding' -

Rating: PG-13 (for language)

Category: Chlex, Clana, friendship, Futurefic, Angst, slight touch of humor, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Slight hints from year one.

Summary: Male bonding gives them courage.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: Archiving at SmallvilleFanfiction, The_Bald Truth, WWomb,Intrepid, and on a page set up on my friends site. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is the sequel to Female Bonding. Enjoy this little glimpse into a fanfic version of male bonding. I'm glad we get to see it in the series---as well as fanfic. I dedicate this one to David and Piper. And to all my friends on the lists.



"Male Bonding"

by PMD


"Clark."

"Hey Lex. What are you doing here?"

"Got bored at the mansion and decided it was time to do some male bonding," I answer as I walk up the last few steps.

"Oh," he says and turns back to the telescope.

"What's so interesting? The stars or a certain raven haired beauty's house?"

"What?" He looks back at me.

"What, what?"

"You think Lana is beautiful."

"Yes. Don't you?"

"Well, yes but---you're not interested in her are you?"

"Clark, if I were interested in her, would I have tried to set you up with her. Besides, I don't take away my best friends girl---even if he won't tell her that she is his girl."

"I'm working up to it."

"Work faster. Who knows when another quarterback or poet might come along and whisk her away?"

"Look whose talking."

"Excuse me?" I ask as I sit down on the couch. He walks over to me and sits down too.

"You've had it bad for Chloe for the past year and you still won't tell her."

"That's because she wouldn't be interested in me."

"And why not? You're good looking, have a halfway decent personality, got all your teeth."

"Now that's a selling point---got all my teeth," I say, smirking at him.

"You know what I mean. You're a good catch, Lex. And she's not interested in your money at all."

"That's true. But still----she could have anybody----why me?"

"Wow! An insecure Lex. This is something I've never seen before."

I smirk at him again. Then I sigh. "Yeah, I am insecure but with good reason. If I told her how I felt and she laughed at me, I'd---"

"---be hurt. Now you know my insecurity about Lana."

"You have no reason to be insecure. The girl is in love with you."

"How do you know this?"

"I notice things, Clark. The way she uses body language when she's around you. She moves a bit closer, she tilts her head towards you. She laughs at your mediocre jokes. Hell, she asks about you at our meetings."

"Really?"

"Yes really."

"Well, Chloe asks about you all the time. And she gets this lilt in her voice when she says your name. And this sad look in her face when she talks about you sometimes. She's in love with you----she wants to make you happy. But she's afraid you don't feel the same."

"God, if that's true---we're all pretty pathetic, waiting for the other to say something."

"You're right, Lex. And I think it's time we did something about it. How about we do it right now, before we chicken out."

"I'm with you. But I swear, if she laughs---I'll hit you."

"You'll try," he answers as he gets up and walks towards the steps. "Well, are you coming?"

"Yes, I'm coming," I answer as I get up and join him by the steps.

"After you, Lex."

We walk down the steps and out of the barn, lost in thought.

"So, whose house are we going to first? Chloe's or Lana's?" I ask.

"We're going to Lana's since Chloe is staying with her. Nell's away for the weekend and Lana thought this would be a good time to bond."

"Oh," is all I can say. I rub my hands---they're sweatie---I'm so nervous. We're there in a matter of minutes and we look up at the window.

"Okay, got a pebble, Lex?"

"Pebble?"

"To get their attention."

"Wouldn't ringing the doorbell be a better idea?"

"Well, that's not the way a teenage boy gets a teenage girls attention."

"I'm not a teenage boy."

"Well, you're acting like one right now which is good enough. Here's one." He picks it up and throws it at the window. Ping!

The window opens up and Chloe and Lana look at us. "What the hell are you two doing here?" Chloe asks.

"We need to talk," we answer her.

"It's late."

"No---it's the right time," I reply.

"All right---just give us a few minutes okay?"

"Hurry up before he loses his nerve Chloe."

"Clark!" I state.

"What?" she asks.

"Nothing, Chloe," he answers.

"Okay. Just give us a few minutes----we'll be there."

She closes the window.

"Why did you say that?"

"Lex, don't worry---she didn't hear it."

"But what if she did, Clark?"

"If she had, you could have said it was one of my bad jokes."

"Thats---"

I stop talking as the door opens and the women come out. Both are dressed in jeans and tops; Chloes is a rust color---Lana's a powder blue. They smile at us, shyly, and then descend off the porch.

"So, what was so important that it couldn't wait till the daylight hours. Afraid the sun will melt you, Mr. Lex the Vampire?"

She's right in front of me, a slight smile on her face. I'm transfixed by the eyes, glowing at me---it seems that the moon has left the sky and entered into this beauty's eyes. I can't think or speak for a moment. Then, "Oh Hell!"

I move forward and kiss her, drinking in the essence of Chloe---deepening it, wanting it to last forever. But it ends, when we need to breath.

"Oh My God!" is all she can say when we break off. Then we turn to look at Lana and see that Clark has taken a page from my book and is now kissing her.

Then we look back at each other. "I love you," she blurts out.

"I love you too."

"Why the hell didn't you tell me before?" she asks, hitting my arm.

"Ouch! Why the hell didn't you tell me?" I ask.

We stand there, looking at each other and then break down laughing.

"Well the important thing is that we have told each other. And it seems that we're not the only happy couple tonight," I say.

I open my arms and she walks into them. "That's true. Better late than never. Lex, want to come in and do some male/female bonding?"

"Don't mind if I do." I turn towards Clark and see that he and Lana are hugging now too. "Guys, we're heading inside. Want to come in for some male/female bonding too?"

"Yes," they both answer.

We walk towards the house, all of us lost to the wonders of love. A love that might never have been except for some male bonding and possibly female bonding---on the women's part. And looking forward to some male/female bonding---tonight and forever.

The End.