Title: "I'll Always Be There"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Angst, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: Lineage

Summary: Memories of the first snowfall for Chloe.

Note: This came to be because of a first snowfall and some truths spoken by Chloe in Lineage.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me. As to the use of I'll Always Be There, the song lyric title of a wonderful song sung by Roch Voisine, used as the title of the story and the words found within the story, to whomever owns it, I'm just borrowing, them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in the story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To SFF, TBT, SPP, Wwomb, Intrepid, and my page on Wendy's site. Anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is dedicated to the feelings that Chloe put forth in Lineage about her mother. And to the first snowfall of the year. I also dedicate this to David and everybody on the lists and off who are there for other's, no matter what. And a very special dedication to three other friends out there; to Jay, Kimberly and Piper, who have been there for all who needed them. Enjoy. And if you want the lyrics for the song, just ask me and I'll send them to you. They so express this story perfectly.



"I'll Always Be There"
by PMD

Winter has arrived in Smallville. It's the first snow, starting as a fine powder on the ground, so light, the wind blows and swirls it around. Then it falls in earnest until I wake up in the morning and see a Winter Wonderland---the leafless tree covered in snow---from my bed.

I let out a sigh. This is a Winter Wonderland to everybody but me. The first snow always brings sadness. For when I was five, the first snow didn't only signify a day off school but the day my mother left me and my dad.

I remember the night before she left. She told me we were going to be getting a lot of snow overnight and that the school would probably be closed. She said in the morning I would get a big surprise. I was so excited. I hugged her and then bugged her about the surprise until she finally got up and told me it wouldn't be a surprise if she let me know what it was. I finally shut up and laid back down. She kissed me on the cheek and walked out the door, saying good night.

Next morning I ran downstairs to the sound of sizzling and the radio. 'Mommy, what's my surprise?' I remember blurting out.

I thought my surprise was my dad making breakfast but then I saw the look on his face. I remember asking him what was wrong and him turning off the stove and walking over to me. He led me to a chair and sat me down. I asked where Mommy was and he gently explained that she was gone. I didn't believe him. She promised me a surprise. Course, I never thought it was an unpleasant surprise---I thought we would go out and make a snowman or something.

He held me while I cried, not understanding why she left us. Was I a bad girl? Was I too ugly to love? Didn't she love us? He heard these questions tumbling out of my mouth between sobs and said no to each---she had her reasons to leave. And they were good reasons. I backed away, blurting out there was no good reason to leave people you love and ran out the door in my dressing gown. I stopped on the porch, staring at the snowman in the front yard. I was so mad at her that I ran towards it and started to hit it with all my force. It wasn't until my father came and took me away, that I noticed the damage I had done----there was a huge dent where I had been pummeling it. And I wasn't a snowman as much as a snow woman.

"Honey, school is closed today. And I've decided to take the day off to spend it with my best girl." These words, yelled from downstairs, bring me out of my thoughts of the past.

"That's great, Dad," I answer.

I get out of bed and get myself ready for the day ahead, as best I can. Then I walk down the stairs, deja vu all over again. That day, my dad cleaned me up and sat me down again, saying, 'I'll always be there for you, Chloe.' That's what my mother said to me once but not as sincere as he did at that moment.

"I guess this is a tough day for you, Pumpkin?" I turn to see Dad standing there, in his apron.

I'm five again and running towards my Daddy once more, sobbing.
"Daddy, why did she leave?"

"She had her reasons, honey. But you're right, they weren't really good ones---there's no such thing."

Our hug is interrupted by a knock on the door. I brush away the tears as Dad walks over to answer it. "Lex."

"Hi, Gabe. Could Chloe come out here for a moment?"

He turns to me. "Honey, I think you're being paged."

I walk over to the door. "Hi Lex. What's this all about? And how the heck did you get here? The roads must be impassable."

"Not when I'm on a mission to cheer up somebody I love."

I smile at him and he pulls open the door, taking my hand and leading me out. The cold goes unnoticed by me---just the mere touch of his hand warms me to the bone and the slight kiss on the cheek causes me to blush.

"So, what's the---Oh my!"

I stand, staring at the front lawn. Standing there, proud of themselves are my friends; Clark, Lana, and Pete. Each stands beside one of the snow people they created. There's a mother, father, little girl, and a little boy snowman. I gasp and look at him.

"You like?"

"Oh God, I love. I have the best friends and boyfriend in the world. You don't know how much this means to me."

They walk towards me, Lana speaking,"Yes we do, Chloe. Clark told us about your mother and then your father filled in the rest. We're so sorry that she did this to you---abandoned you---but know this, we'll never do that. We'll always be there for you, like you are for us."

I feel a tear falling and Lex hands me a hankie. "This is just so wonderful."

"But no going near the mother, Chloe. I know what happened the last time. You almost did her in," Pete says, trying to add a touch of levity. I giggle at that and then frown, remembering why I did it before.

"I won't Pete. I only did it that first time because---"

"---because your mother created it as a surprise. But that was overshadowed by her less than pleasant exit from your life, right, sweetheart?"

I turn to look at a very perceptive boyfriend and nod. I don't know what I did to deserve such a wonderful and complicated man in my life. I turn to my friends and wonder what I ever did to have such great friends who would get up early and create such wonderful snow people for me. I smile at all and hear the door open behind us.

"Hot chocolate and breakfast for everybody."

"Lead me to the food," Pete states, running up the steps. The others follow close behind, leaving Lex and I standing on the porch.

"Want to get a closer look at them before we go in?"

"Yes."

We walk down and I touch each, reverently and quietly. He walks by my side, my free hand in his. Then I get to the little boy.

"Okay, I can understand the mother, father, and little girl. That makes up the family I knew but what about the little boy?"

He leans over and whispers in my ear. "Chloe, this isn't your family---this is our future one."

He backs away and I feel so loved and accepted at this moment, that my heart feels like it's about to burst into song. "Lex, that's the most beautiful thing you have ever said to me. I love you."

He kisses me on the mouth, a gentle whisp of a kiss. Like the gentle wind that's swirling the snow around us. Then he whispers one more thing into my ear before we walk towards the house.

"Just remember---I'll always be there."

And he will be, no matter what life brings us. And I will always love him and the other's for turning a sad memory into one that is a little lighter, because they care and love me. Like I care and love them.

The End.