Title: For Kathy, David, and Imp - "I Said Your Name"

Author: PMD

e-mail:
mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (for language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, slight angst, Chloe and Lex's POV's, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game.

Summary: Lex confronts his father about involvement in his near demise.

Note: This is for the late night chat duo---Kathy and Imp---whom I have been brainstorming with---and hopefully gave them a couple of ideas too. <g> And to David, the fastest beta in the world. For his encouragement, his compassion, and his hilarious comments, especially from this story. Oh, if any of you don't have an idea how I feel about the monster of metropolis----well, there ain't any doubts after this piece---heehee. The character we love to hate. But I got an idea for another story that will have him more sympathetic---because Lillian is still around.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, the characters, Babylon 5, the characters, the X-Files and a certain famous saying from it, and Hera, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To SPP, BT2, BtS, Sabby's and Malu's sites. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: I dedicate this to David, Kathy, and Imp. For Kathy's wonderful story, Chasing Shadows, which inspired my muse. For David liking when Lionel gets his. And for Imp, who also inspires my muse, just by speaking to her, softly and quietly. Enjoy, everybody.

"I Said Your Name"

by PMD


Chloe's POV

I stand behind Lionel, wanting so much to find the stapler and hit him over the head with it. How stupid could you be, Chloe? To agree to work with him, because you were a woman scorned. Who did you think you are? Hera?

I let out a sigh and the monster speaks, without turning around in his chair. "Yes?"

"What?" I ask.

"You have something to show me."

"Not today."

I move away from him and he gets out of his chair and stares at me. "Then why are you here? You should be out, finding information about Clark and his family for me."

"I came to tender my resignation."

"We've had this discussion before, Ms. Sullivan. You are going to help me find out about Clark and his family and do it now. I've given you a month to mull this over, when you tried to leave the last time. And I will still make good on my threat if you try to leave---your father---everybody in this town will know you are not only working with me but I will even suggest that you are sleeping with me."

"Like that will fly, Father? I believe Ms. Sullivan has better taste in men."

We turn to see him standing there. Oh God, his eyes are like two lumps of coal. They are so hard and on the edge. He's beyond angry. He's furious. I can see it in his stance, although he looks so cold and unfeeling.



I had heard he arrived back in town just a couple of days ago. During that time, he stayed with the Kents, using the loft as his place of rest. But when I came to the farm he refused to see me.

"Lex, you're back!" his father says, walking over to him.

"Leave---now!" he states, looking straight at me.

I move away from the desk and towards the doorway. As I pass him, he touches my arm. "I'll talk to you later." Is that a softness in his voice? I give him a slight smile and he just turns to look at his father. I walk out the room and stay at the entrance, waiting to see what he's about to say.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lex's POV

I listen to him threaten Chloe and feel my blood boil. I will see you in jail, Lionel, if you ever touch or threaten her again. Lex, calm down and look as cold as an iceberg---to both of them.

I order her to leave the room but as she passes, I can't help to add, softly, that I want to talk to her later. She gives me a slight smile but before I do it myself, I look straight at Lionel.

I sense her leaving and once I know she's not in the room, I let my father have it.

"Lex, son, I'm so---"

"Can it, you bastard!"

"That's no way to talk to you father!"

"I have no father! You, you were just the receptacle of the sperm that got mother pregnant---nothing more. Especially since I found out how much you were involved with getting me out of town."

"What are you talking about?"

"Please, Lionel, don't even try to talk your way out of this by feigning innocence. I know everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes---I know about you paying off the meter maid to give me a ticket and making sure I was mad enough that I would hit his car with a golf club by screwing me in a business deal. Then you blackmailed a judge to tell me that I had to take anger management courses and of course, Helen shows up at them. Course, I don't think you wanted me dead in the end---more likely out of town so you could try to take over my company. Fortunately, you can't. Lucas is the owner in my absence---and since you are not his favorite person, either, he wouldn't sell it to you. And knowing you, you tried to ruin it---but Gabe and the Kent family saved it. So, did I miss anything?"

He moves a hand out to touch me. "Don't touch me, you asshole!"

"Son, I don't know who's been telling these lies to you---"

"Oh, you want to know my source. Well it was anybody who was involved with your plan. They sung like canaries, Father."

He's about to speak when I stop him. "Shut up and listen!"

He cringes at my words but does just that.

"You will not go near my friends, do you hear me? No more looking into the Kents and Clark. Leave them alone. And do not go near Lucas, my other friends, and in particular, Chloe. You will let her go---so I can hire her myself. If you ever go near anybody I care about, I have enough information to put you in prison, five times over. Do you hear me?"

He sighs. "I hear you but---"

"No buts---get out of my house and my town, NOW!"

"This is my house."

"No. This is my house, as of this morning. Oh, I'm Cold Hart Industries by the way. I guess I did learn something about subterfuge from you, Lionel. Now leave!"

He moves closer to me, trying to make amends again but I move away from him. I watch him leave the room and I close my eyes, letting out a deep breath.

"Lex?"

I open my eyes and see a nervous girl before me. God, did I scare her that much? Time to make amends.

I walk up to her and pull her into my arms. "I missed you," I whisper, softly.

I feel her nervousness leave her body and hear a sigh. "I missed you too," she sobs.

I lead her over to the couch and we sit with her snuggling close.
"Chloe?"

She looks up, her tear-stained face breaking my heart. "You're free."

"What?" she asks.

"You don't work for my father anymore. And I know the reason you did it."

"What? How?"

"Well, see I told my father a bit of a lie---I didn't get the information on what he did from the people he used. I actually got it from a one person's computer."

It dawns on her. "You looked at my computer? When? How? Why?" she asks.

I get up and start to pace, thinking my answer through before I turn to her. "Okay, yes, it was your computer. By the way, if I ever need any information, you'll be the first I come to. The hell with the private detectives. They don't hold a candle to you."

She smiles at that. "Well, to tell you the truth, I've been giving Clark information for a while to help you."

I walk over and take her hand. "I know that but this time around---I want to hire you---well, pay you for your help, if that doesn't insult you too much."

"Well, we'll talk about that later. So, how did you get into my computerized pants, as it were?"

I chuckle at her innuendo and she smiles. "I missed that too."

"What?" I ask.

"Your laughter---your smile---you," she states.

I sit beside her again, and pull her close. "I missed your---peskiness."

"My peskiness? You are so full of it, Luthor. So, answer the questions, will you?"

I back away and tell all. "Well the answer to when is: Remember that time you came over to the Kent farm and I wouldn't see you? I had Clark distract you and got into your computer pants, as it were. You really amassed a lot of information but I was able to download it. As to how, well, you really have to change your password to something other than TrustNo1. The biggest X-Files fan in Smallville and you use that?"

"Yeah, you're right."

"I'm right?"

"Don't let it go to your head, Luthor."

I laugh again. "With you around, that won't happen. As to your last question, I wanted to save you from getting in too deep with my father. And to prove how much I---" I stop in my tracks---not sure how she will react to the last part.

I watch her touch my arm, to bring me back to her and see in her eyes how she feels about me, even before she speaks. "It's okay, Lex. I know the real reason why. It's the reason I've helped Clark all along to get you out of the troubles you've been in. I couldn't forgive myself if something ever happened to you because---oh Hell, I'll just show you."

She pulls me close and kisses me. I hear her moan and I join her, as the kiss takes us to another world and back again.

We back away to breathe and touch our foreheads together, not wanting to leave each other's touch yet. "Chloe?"

"Yes?"

"I said your name, just before the plane hit the water."

She backs away. "Just like John said Delenn's name before he died on Babylon 5?"

I nod.

"Oh God, I love you so much, Lex," she sobs out, before going back into my arms.

"I love you too, Chloe. That's the one thing that kept me going."

"I know. It kept me going too. That's the reason, I knew you didn't die---my love for you would have told me if you had perished. But I wanted you here to help me get away from your father."

"Well, it's over and done with. If he comes near anybody that I love, he will pay dearly."

"I know. I heard."

"You eavesdropped?"

"Hey, first thing you learn when you are a reporter. You get the real answers when you eavesdrop. Lex, let's not talk about your father for the time being. Let's talk about pleasant things. Or---"

"Let's go visit Clark and his family and tell them the good news," I state, as I get up and offer her my hand.

"Yes, let's go tell them that the evil monster is leaving Smallville and all is right with the world---"

"---as long as we protect the ones we love and love each other," I state, as we walk out of the room

"Yes to both, now and forever."


The End.