Title: fuzzy wuzzy brown

Author: a campbell

Author Email: amoss53@hotmail.com

Author Webpage:

Category: Angst, First Time, Hurt-Comfort, PWP

Spoilers For: First season

Rating: NC-17

Pairing: Clark/Lex

Summary: Clark. Lex. Barn. Puppies.

[That "Lex has a puppy" bunny has been nibbling at me for months. Besides, Clark should have a dog, even if it's not Krypto. Titled for the Crayola Challenge, even if it's too late. A. Campbell advocates responsible pet ownership, even if you live on a farm. And, so as you will see, does Lex Luthor.]

For Starcat, my cuddly MB; for Ingrid, cookies as requested; and for Chris, also an animal-lover.


Fuzzy Wuzzy Brown
by A Campbell


Lex approached the stairs to Clark's loft with dragging steps. A drizzly, dreary Sunday night late in fall, work week tomorrow. He sighed. The gloom of the weather had crept into his bones, and the soft ache in his heart needed to be assuaged. He hadn't seen Clark at all over the entire wasted weekend. That, at least, he intended to remedy before Monday came again.

The younger man's voice drifted down from above into the near-darkness of the barn's first floor. All soft murmurs, clucks, and chuckles. Lex hesitated. Clark couldn't have someone else up there, could he? Lana, Chloe? Lex felt a brief twist of unease at the thought, and began making hasty mental plans to escape unseen if this were the case. He hoped he was wrong, though. Even though he was always encouraging Clark to "Go for it," he really didn't want him to. He kept hoping against all indications that he could somehow have him for himself.

His fears dissipated as he reached the top of the stairs and the younger man's sanctuary came into view. Clark was alone, seated on the sofa, the lamp on his couch side table lit. The boy was bent, smiling, over a large wooden crate on the floor in front of him. Hearing Lex's footsteps, he looked up quickly, and his face flushed with an almost embarrassed pleasure as he saw who it was.

"Hey, Lex," Clark smiled, gesturing to the box. "Look, here."

Lex came over to Clark's side,and peered around him, whistling, low and softly. The barn was too dark for Clark to detect the brief flash of delight in Lex's eyes, but light enough for Lex to see what was occupying Clark's attention.

"Whoa," he breathed. "Puppies."

Lex bent down to pet Ladybird, the Kents' collie-Golden Retriever mix, who, panting, gave him a dog-smile and licked his hand. Five newborn puppies, medium brown and partially covered by a threadbare towel, squirmed and jostled beside her.

"Lex, I'm going to get you a pair of jeans for Christmas," Clark observed, noting Lex was dressed with his customary casual elegance, "You need some barn clothes." He moved over on the couch to make room for his friend.

"We must be a pretty unobservant family," Clark continued ruefully. "We didn't even realize Ladybird was expecting. I just came out yesterday morning, and here they were: wall-to-wall puppies. But, cute, aren't they?" He reached down to straighten the towel so it covered the pups more evenly.

Lex's amused expression settled into one of mild exasperation as he favored Clark with an elbow in the side, shaking his head. "Guess you guys forgot to get her spayed? Way to go, Clark."

Clark shrugged, shamefaced.

"Where's the dad?" Lex went on, Ladybird still savoring his gentle caresses. "Who's the dad?"

Clark frowned, and shrugged again. "We think it might have been Beefeater, that Shepherd-Retriever mix that belonged to the Hales. But, we're only guessing. They've moved, anyway, so we can't do DNA testing, or anything. Or, it could have been Bigfoot, the Fullers' mutt. Dad thinks it was him."

Lex tsked and sighed, exasperated. "Pretty irresponsible all around, Clark."

"Yeah, I know. My mom and dad are kind of old-fashioned about animals. They believe in just letting dogs run. So do most of the other farms."

"Sure sounds like it," Lex snorted in disgust. "They need to lose that attitude. Pet owners are supposed to be more responsible than that."

"Yeah," Clark agreed. "You're right. We'll have to do better."

Lex dropped down beside Clark and prodded gently with a slim finger at the undulating, squealing heap. "So, what now?"

"Find homes for them, I guess," said Clark, with another wistful shrug. "There's no way we could afford the vet fees and food for all of them. Know anyone who wants a puppy?" He looked hopefully at Lex.

"Good luck," said his friend, not very optimistically.

"Yeah, it probably won't be easy. Most folks around here already have more animals than they want or can handle. Including us."

"What was the last tally, Clark? Eight cats?"

"Yeah, but they're barn cats; they keep the rodents down. One house cat, Buttercup. My mom's," he hastened to add.

Lex leaned down and picked up one of the mewling pups with one hand, regarding it with amusement as he touched a fingertip to its small nose. "Cute," he said. "Boys, or girls?"

"Two girls, three boys," said Clark. He picked up a curved glass feeding bottle, half-full, from his nightstand, and dusted off the tip on his sleeve.

Lex watched Clark for a moment, noting how relaxed and comfortable he seemed. The puppies were so small he was almost afraid to touch, though he was sure that wasn't evident to Clark. Lex sighed, and felt a wave of affection for his friend wash over him. He really didn't mean to rag on Clark---he was always good with animals. It was just-he really got sick of seeing dead dogs on the shoulders of Smallville's surrounding country roads. He could be cool about many things, but this was so wrong. Pets and cars were not natural enemies.

"Ladybird seems to have come through it okay," Lex observed, stroking the pup with one finger. "And, they're eating. So, why the bottle?"

"Just helping her out a little. She deserves it; she's a good dog. Besides, it's fun." He bent to scoop up one of the tiny bodies, too, but Lex stopped him.

"Let me see it," he said, holding out his hand for the bottle, which Clark handed over without protest. "Hey, there...what's his name, Clark?"

"No names, yet," said Clark.

"Hey, there, Bruiser," Lex murmured, as Clark smothered a chuckle. "Open up." He nudged the tip of the bottle into the impossibly tiny mouth. "Ah...that's right," he breathed as the puppy began to sip, "Good dog."

Clark smiled as he looked on. Lex looked like a delighted little kid as he fed the puppy, and seeing his pleasure made Clark feel a warm glow, too. "Sweet, huh?" He reached out to stroke the tiny head with one finger.

"Yeah," said Lex thoughtfully. He caught a quick breath, and cast a sideways glance at Clark from beneath half-closed eyelids. His melancholy mood had lingered tenaciously all weekend, but now, being here with Clark, he felt at ease. The grueling accident and wrecked car had been a reasonable price to pay for a relationship like this.

Lex realized with surprise that they were sitting quite close to each other in the near darkness. He could feel the warmth of Clark's body through the denim of his jeans and flannel of his shirt. Taking a deep breath, he licked his lips and opened his mouth, then closed it again.

"Don't be mad, Lex," Clark cajoled, patting him lightly on the back. "I'll make sure they're all taken care of." He stretched out his legs and arms, and sighed. "You ever had a dog, Lex?" He'd noticed the absence of animals, except for the stable of horses, at Lex's place.

"Oh, no, Clark," Lex scowled. "Forget it. You're not taking care of them that way. And, don't give me puppy eyes. I'm not that much of a sucker."

"Just wondering," Clark said innocently. "Puppy eyes," he giggled. "Good one,
Lex."

Lex just hit him with a glare, half-amused.

"But, did you?" asked Clark. "Ever have a dog, I mean?"

A shadow passed across Lex's face; he regarded Clark somberly through the dim light of the loft and hesitated a moment before speaking. "I did have a dog once," he replied. "A purebred Brittany Spaniel, Robert."

"Robert?" Clark looked nonplussed, amused. " Come on, Lex. Who names a dog 'Robert'?"

"My mother," Lex said.

Clark immediately flushed with embarrassment. "Oh. Sorry."

"Robert was a Christmas gift, a present from her, just before she died. She wanted me to have some companionship after she...when I was alone."

Lex never failed to make Clark feel sober and serious when he talked about the mother who was lost to him. Clark always wanted to respond by giving Lex a hug, and telling him everything was going to be okay. But Lex had a way of retreating to emotionally unreachable territory before he could do that. "Did it help?" Clark wondered.

"I didn't have him for long. Maybe a month." Lex spoke evenly, but didn't meet Clark's eyes this time.

"Oh." Clark considered, and waited for Lex to continue, but he remained as though lost in thought. "What happened?" Clark coaxed after a minute, although the flat, hushed tone of Lex's voice had made him feel uneasy, and he wasn't sure he wanted to hear the answer.

"Lionel." Lex gave a brief snort. "Lionel happened," He removed the bottle from the dog's mouth for a brief moment, gave it a little shake, and set it down for a moment.

Clark moaned in softly in sympathy. He should have guessed.

"The dog was too much of a distraction, too badly behaved, too destructive, blah, blah, blah. It was a puppy, for Christ's sake. But, Lionel just couldn't rest until he'd gotten rid of it." Lex cut the air with an abrupt wave of his hand. "Don't get me started, Clark. Please." He picked up the bottle again to resume the feeding.

Clark paled with dismay, at a loss for what to say, as Lex concluded, almost as though he were talking to himself.

"But, you know, for the whole month he was with me, it seemed like Christmas. My mother would have been devastated, had she known. But not surprised. She knew Lionel, but never stopped trying to make things better. Normal."

"Oh," said Clark. He felt Lex's vague, confused pain. And loneliness. "And you never got another one?"

"Another dog? No," said Lex. "Never had the time Boarding school, then college. Why bother, anyway? Lionel just would have found something wrong with that one, too. Anything I care about...always." He turned abruptly to face Clark, who was startled by the naked pain in his gaze. Lex began to speak again, but stopped.

Clark reached out to put a hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, Lex. It's not fair. Every kid should be able to have a dog."

The newborn puppy had drunk its fill and gone back to sleep, and Lex gently laid it back beside its mother. They regarded each other for a long moment, and Lex's gaze darkened. Slowly, he opened his arms. "Clark," he murmured huskily, "come here."

Clark hesitated for only an instant, then leaned into Lex's embrace with a sharp intake of breath. Lex drew him close, nuzzling his hair and one ear with half-open lips.

"I must keep him away from you." Lex's voice was thick and ragged. "No matter what."

Clark, trembling, closed his eyes, and brought both hands up to Lex's face. He held him steady as he mouthed his lips, gently at first, then more insistently. His hands moved to circle Lex's back, and his muffled groan made Lex shiver like a birch in a lightning storm.

"I love you, Lex," Clark muttered distractedly, breaking the kiss. "I just want you to be happy, no matter what. To have the love you deserve, that everyone needs." He kissed Lex again, "And, I need you to love me, too."

"Love's just pain, Clark," Lex protested, pressing moist lips down Clark's neck and running into a mouthful of Downy-scented flannel. At the same time, he fumbled with the top button of Clark's jeans. Lex was briefly astonished at his clumsiness, reminding himself that he was usually highly skilled in matters of seduction. For some reason, being with Clark was making him feel like a virgin, again-nervous, self-conscious, and a little afraid.

"Not always," Clark said softly. "Wait. You'll see." And it sounded to Clark as though Lex choked on a sob, but, surely, that was his imagination.

Lex moaned at his words, and at the increasingly insistent pressure of Clark's mouth. His breathing quickened, and he gasped. It was easy, really, so easy, to make Lex lose his cool, Clark thought with a brief flash of amusement that ghosted away as he focused in on the task at hand.

With one hand behind Lex's back, Clark eased him back onto the sofa, carefully unfastening the buttons of his companion's linen shirt. He eased the shirt off Lex's shoulders and buried his face in his neck, nipping lightly at the jugular vein. Lex trembled, and let out his breath with a hiss as Clark tongued the spot, cooled it with a breath, and then licked it again.

Lex muttered something abrupt and undecipherable, and before Clark knew it, Lex had flipped him over easily, as though he were a rag doll, and was gripping the front of Clark's jeans with a sweating palm. Clark sucked in a startled breath.

"Clark," Lex breathed hoarsely , "I can't...please...Just tell me you want this as much as I do." He buried his face in the curls of Clark's hair.

"What do you think?" Clark had mastered his surprise; his voice was low, quiet, and just a little hesitant. "Why do I have to say it?"

Lex responded with a groan that was almost savage, and Clark felt a warm satisfaction coursing through his veins. His breath hitched with excitement. Lex had him unbuttoned, and was working down the zipper of his jeans. Reaching in, he freed the younger man's cock from the confines of his boxers, grasped, and began to work him steadily as he continued to plant open-mouthed kisses on Clark's moist lips. Clark moaned and arched up into his hand, before reaching between them as well for the fastening of Lex's trousers.

"Wait," said Lex, and slid down Clark's chest. "Too fast. Don't rush this."

He pointed his tongue and targeted first Clark's navel--which made the boy writhe deliciously-- and then the head of his cock, which earned a shudder of such intensity that Lex's hand gripped the side of the couch to steady himself.

"Oh, God, Lex-please," Clark managed in a hoarse whisper, unable to formulate anything more coherent. His hands clenched and unclenched; he forced himself from gripping Lex's scalp and holding him there, afraid of harming him unwittingly, in his distraction.

Lex made himself pause, despite the fact that Clark's excitement was rapidly adding fuel to his own. He felt giddy, as though he balanced on a mountain precipice with a steep gorge yawning before him. Clark: yearning, panting, quivering...and his, all his, for the taking. He had to be careful, though. Clark deserved no less. He couldn't let anything hurt Clark, physically or
emotionally, for he was special as no one else had ever been.

But, following brief flash of memory of himself at sixteen, Lex reversed his decision to take this at a slow pace. He took pity on Clark, and decided to save the excruciating torture for another time. Smiling slightly, he touched a hand to the boy's lips, then bent down and abruptly engulfed him, which earned him a strangled moan. Lex began to apply his skills intently to suction. His best skills.

"God, Lex," Clark groaned repeatedly, and Lex smiled inwardly at what a babbler his friend was, not breaking the rhythm. It took only a few minutes before Clark gasped, froze, and spurted down his throat. Lex took time to savor, swallowed, pulled off a few moments later, and stroked Clark gently as the boy's breathing slowed. He was astounded by the waves of tenderness he felt coursing through him. He'd wanted this for so long, now. That Clark apparently wanted it too was unbelievable good fortune. Lex's every sense was alive, wired--and he'd surely never been this hard in his entire life.

"Now, it's your turn. Let me," Clark begged, when he could speak again. He reached down with trembling fingers to fumble again with the button on Lex's slacks.

"Go for it," Lex was surprised by the sound of his own voice, brisk and tense. He was astounded to feel his heart thudding so fast he was sure it must be audible, and to find himself lurching into Clark's grasp. "Christ, I'll fucking help you, Clark! Just hurry!" He batted Clark's hand out of the way and undid the fastening himself.

"Let's not rush this, Lex, remember?" Clark muffled a chuckle, even though he felt as though he were participating in a great ceremony, a rite of passage, for himself, of course, but also, oddly, for Lex. Felt this, even though he could tell he had the silliest of grins plastered on his face.

Lex let his breath out in a dry hiss, and, "Okay," said Clark. Whatever Lex wanted, he would get. Without further delay, Clark shoved him down on his back, barely pausing to wonder if he were doing this right.

He pulled Lex's zipper down the rest of the way and freed him from his slacks and boxers. Clark wrapped a hand around the base, touched with his tongue, as Lex had done, lightly circling the tip, and Lex bit back a muffled curse, curling his fingers tightly through Clark's hair, kneading his scalp.. "Fuck, Clark-"he gasped. "You're-"

"Sshhh," whispered Clark. He hesitated, worried, uncertain, and, God, he hoped he was doing this right. What if he messed this up, was less than satisfactory? Would Lex let him have another chance? Would he flatten him with one of those soft-spoken, lethal comments that would keep him from feeling confident about sex, ever again? . Opening his mouth wide, he plunged down as
Lex had, less skilled, but just as enthusiastic. His tongue felt impossibly thick in his mouth, but, flattening it against the shaft, he slid up and then down, savoring the musky taste once he got past the initial awkwardness and embarrassment. Once he established a momentum and rhythm, and was gratified and relieved when Lex began to moan with pleasure. "God, Clark," he groaned, and Clark, sensing the ghost of a thrill that he could command such a response, picked up the pace, and kept it up until Lex was gritting his teeth, and coming with one desperate thrust to the back of Clark's throat.

Clark held himself steady until Lex's tremors subsided, but couldn't help choking back a cough as he swallowed, and blushed with embarrassment. Still trembling, he swiped the back of his mouth with one hand. He cast a worried glance at Lex, who, thankfully, didn't seem bothered by Clark's lack of expertise as he concentrated on gripping the cushion beneath him with one hand, and willing his ragged breathing to subside. Clark let himself drop gently on top of Lex, snuggling up under his friend's chin and bestowing the slightest of licks. Lex jerked, and popped him lightly on the nose with his free hand.

"Damn, Clark," said Lex. "Okay. You win. It's more than pain."

Clark smiled as though he owned the sweetest of secrets, pressed his mouth to Lex's, and stretched an arm over his half-bare chest. They both lay without motion, drowsy and sated, in the near darkness. "Hum," said Clark, after a bit. "God, Lex, that was good. So this is what I've been missing, all along?" Touching his upper lip with his tongue, he noted that the taste of Lex still lingered in his mouth. The realization made him feel incredibly sophisticated, and his smile was broad.

"It's not too late to catch up, Clark." Lex smiled lazily, fingering a curl. "Mmm...fuck -you're incredible. So beautiful."

The unaccustomed endearment drew forth yet another blush, which Clark was thankful Lex could not discern in the loft's dim light, and Lex bent down to press a soft kiss on the top of Clark's head.

Clark nestled closer. Wow, so this was it, he thought. Sex. Wow. He felt awed, charged, and vulnerable all over. And, just a little embarrassed, and maybe a touch guilty.

I'll sleep out here tonight, he vowed to himself, away from Mom and Dad. I don't think I could face them tonight. I need to get used to this. He shivered a little, astounded that one of the most prominent emotions he felt was a delighted relief. The First Time: finally out of the way, thank God. He'd have to remember to look in the mirror, later. See if he looked any different. One thing was sure. It was entirely different from, and a whole lot better than, doing it himself.

"Clark," Lex said, in his quiet, silken voice, which Clark had always thought of privately as the "bedroom" voice. "Are you okay?"

"I'm not sure," said Clark, fetching his thoughts back.

Lex felt a moment's unease. What were the chances Clark would regret what they had done? Lex hoped he hadn't been scared by the whole thing. Hoped, at the very least, Clark would want to remain friends, though there was probably no way in hell they could go back to being just friends, after tonight.

"I think..." Clark said hesitantly, and Lex caught his breath, waiting for him to continue.

"...I could use more practice," Clark insisted, and Lex chuckled with relief. "Will you help me? Show me what to do, guide me?" Even in the near darkness, Lex could read the earnest, anxious expression on the young man's face.
"Let you practice on me, you mean? Gosh, Clark, I don't know. That's asking a lot...of course," Lex said, his voice breaking. "Whenever you want. And as much as you want, trust me." His chest shook a little with quiet laughter.

"I hope you mean that," said Clark. "Always hard to tell for sure when you're teasing..." His voice trailed off as he pressed his lips to Lex's once again

They lay still a few more minutes, Lex lazily stroking Clark's hair, Clark cuddling in to his chest. The dim light had almost faded completely to darkness before Lex suddenly heaved himself up.

"Okay," he huffed, casting a baleful glare at the crate. Ladybird, still panting, gazed back at him cheerfully. "Were they watching us?" "I don't think so," Clark snickered. "And, if they were, hope they'll keep it a secret. Don't know what Mom and Dad would say."

"Clark, please." Lex put a hand to his brow and swiped at his forehead. "Don't go there." He zipped up as he spoke, straightened his shirt, and tucked it in.

Clark was regarding the box of dogs thoughtfully, still in a daze. "Wow," he said faintly. "Who'd have thought a litter of pups would be such a turn-on?"

"Not me," said Lex, taking a shaky breath. "But--I'm convinced, now."

"Of what?"

Lex waved a hand over the crate. "I'll take them. All of them. The manor has that whole unused kennel complex Lionel had put in for that pack of hunting dogs he thought he wanted, and that never materialized, thank goodness. It's just sitting there, empty. Might as well put it to use."

Clark thought a moment, and then grinned, wide.

"And, don't worry, Clark, of course you will have visiting privileges. Anytime you want them."

Lex got to his feet, brushing off his slacks. "Tell your folks. Bring them over in your dad's truck when they're ready to leave their mother. And, plan to spend some time helping them get settled. Maybe a weekend?"

"Sure," said Clark, nodding coolly in agreement as he stood up, even as his stomach fluttered with excitement at the idea of an entire weekend with Lex.

Lex considered. "Actually, they can really belong to both of us. Be our dogs. Give us something to do when you come over. Something else, that is."

Lex laughed, then, and Clark joined in, his eyes twinkling. "I like that, Lex."

Lex lowered his voice, and moved in closer to Clark. "You just about killed me tonight, you know. We'll have to rein you in." He slipped his arms around the younger man, and Clark did the same, bending his head and closing his eyes for one more kiss.

"Sorry," Clark broke the kiss reluctantly, and suddenly turned sober, his face solemn, his eyes still filled with quiet wonder. He sat back down on the couch beside the crate of dogs.

"We'll need to pick out names. Be thinking."

"One already has a name. Bruiser, remember?"

"Yeah, okay," agreed Lex. "Bruiser it is. We'll have to see what else we can come up with, for the others." He bent down over the crate one last time for the evening, and gave each of the pups, and Ladybird, a parting pat. He turned toward the stairs.

"Good night, Lex," said Clark. "And thanks."

Lex gave him a lazy, amused smile. "Anytime, Clark." He leaned down to brush his lips across Clark's brow. "'Bye."

He was halfway down the loft stairs when he turned to add:

"Oh, and when Ladybird's recovered? Get her spayed. And, send me the bill. That kennel is only so big, after all."

"Okay, Lex," Clark agreed. "Whatever you say."

"Oh, and Clark?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you, too."

Clark smiled, nodded, and sighed with contentment as Lex grinned lightly at him, and disappeared in the dusky twilight.

### The End ###