Title: "Flesh And Blood"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG

Category: Chloe/Lex friendship, Lex's POV, Post episodic for Duplicity, Angst, AU

Spoilers: Duplicity,The Pilot

Summary: Once again, a friend helps another to try to find the answers.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me. To whomever owns Wilson Phillips, the lyrics to Flesh and Blood, the Walkman, Lois Lane, Prince of Darkness, Prince Charming, Get Smart and the character, Agent 99, from Get Smart, I'm just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue me.

Archive: To The_BaldTruth and Smallville FanFiction. Anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is the fastest I have ever written a piece in my life. After seeing the episode and watching what Lex was going through with his father, I had to explore it more. How can you trust somebody who has taken you down the garden path once too often? And what if you still wanted to think the best of them---because they are flesh and blood? They're family. So this is what came out. Enjoy everybody. I know Lex deserves a better dad and I'm usually the first to get on Lionels case but--we are given what we are given. I dedicate this to my friends who have gotten me through some tough times; Piper and Jay. You are the best, guys. And to my beta and sneak a peeker team of Sully, Cal, Neeka, Sienna and David.

 

Flesh And Blood

by PMD

"Hey Lex---what's wrong?"

I watch as the resident cynic sits down, concern on her face.

"Nothing---and everything."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Did you ever wish for something and then wonder if you were getting your wish or somebody was playing a joke on you?"

"Wow! Lex Luthor is unsure about something. Now I've seen everything."

"Chloe!"

She places a hand over mind. "I'm sorry---I'll tone it down. What's wrong?"

"It's my father. He's back."

"And you want to get rid of him?"

"No---that's it. I don't. I want to get to know him better but I'm not sure---"

"You're not sure if he's there to get to know you better or just to run away from something."

"Yes! That's it. You really are perceptive."

"That's why I'm a reporter."

"You picked the perfect profession then---although, you might be a good spy too."

"Agent 99 at your service."

"Agent 99?"

"Sorry. I just finished watching a Get Smart marathon with my dad. Now I know where he gets his strange sense of humor."

I smile at that. "You know, that's what I've always wanted to do with my father."

"You want to listen to Get Smart with him?"

"No, I want to spend time with him. But it's hard. I mean I'm his flesh and blood and yet---"

"You don't like him."

"No---I don't trust him. I think I like him at times. I wouldn't have saved him if I didn't. But it's the trust factor and I feel like I'm not good enough when it comes to him."

"That's his problem. If he sees you as a failure than he's an idiot. And just because you are flesh and blood doesn't mean you have to trust him. He's duped you before. But you---want to trust him, don't you?"

"Yes---how do you know when somebody is telling the truth?"

"You have that ability, Lex. Why are you asking me that?"

"I mean somebody close to you."

"Look into his eyes and you'll know. You know, you're not the only one whose felt this way. I have a cousin who had the same problem--still does have once in a while. When she feels that way about her dad, she plays this song I gave her. It's by Wilson Phillips and it's called Flesh and Blood."

"Do you by any chance have a copy of it with you?" I ask her.

"As a matter of fact, I do. Want to use my Walkman?"

"No---I think I would rather borrow the CD."

"Tell you what---if you give me a ride home, we'll listen to it in the car. I think the first time around you might need somebody with you---she did."

"I won't lose it listening to the piece."

"Lois said that too and she did. Trust me--this is really an emotional song."

I look into her eyes and see she is telling the truth. "All right. Let's get out of here, shall we."

"After you, oh Prince of Darkness."

I smirk at her as we get up.

"I'm kidding Lex. You aren't the Prince of Darkness---you're a Prince Charming still looking for his princess. Sound better?"

"Much," I answer, as I open the door and lead her through it. She shivers slightly. "Are you cold?"

"No, I'm fine."

We get into my car and I start it up, watching her get out the CD. "Maybe we should just park and listen to it."

"The field where you lost your hair?"

"As good a place as any."

We get to the field in record time. She places the CD in the CD player and then selects the number for the song. The wonderful harmony of the girls fills the car and I'm enjoying it until the words hit me---

"How can we be like enemies when we're only flesh and blood?
What does it take to make your heart bleed, Daddy aren't we enough?
You can get through there's nothing stopping you from getting to us
No one can take a way the fact that we're only...flesh and blood"

"Lex?"

I touch my face and my fingers come back wet. She turns it off and I find myself in a warm embrace with her telling me to let it out.

No matter how much I despise the man at times, he's the only father I'll ever have. All I've wanted from him was time to get to know him and him to know me. And now I have it. Maybe there is a way to save our relationship---to make him see that emotions are our friend, not our enemy. They allow us to express ourselves. And friends are needed to get through the tough and sad times---they're our greatest strength, not our weakness.

I back away. "Chloe----could I borrow this. I want---"

"---your father to hear it. Yes, Lex, you can."

Before I get back into Luthor mode, I kiss her on the cheek and she smiles. "You're welcome."

"What happened with your cousin and her father?"

"They talked it out. It's still not perfect but then what is. At least they're still communicating and not yelling at each other."

"I hope this works for me too."

"Well, if it doesn't---just put him in a room with me and I'll do the rest."

I smile at that. "My father doesn't stand a chance."

"You got that right, Alexander."

"Don't---"

"I know, don't call you that. How about Joey?"

"Chloe---you are such a pain sometimes."

"Yeah, but I'm your pain. Come on, take me home and then go prove to your father that---"

"---we can be at least civil to each other. And someday---that we're something more. After all---we are flesh and blood. If I can change, so can he."

The End.