Title: "Ferris Wheel Fun"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13

Category: Chlex, Clana, friendship, futurefic, songfic, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything applies from season 1 and 2.

Summary: Lex helps a friend through his fears.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville and the characters, the lyric line from Count On Me, and the song lyrics to Drift Away I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this piece, so don't sue me.

Archive: To TBT, BT2, SPP, Sabby and Malu's sites.

Feedback: Yes I would love feedback.

Author Notes: This is the third part to a series that started with Kissing Booth and The Dunking Booth. And it's a thank you to David for all his tireless efforts of putting together BT2 and running it. Thank you, dude. And to my friends, who are night owls like me---who stay up and chat, when I need somebody to toss an idea at, or just need to talk. You know who you are---this ones for you too. For the friendship you've given me and so many others. And just remember---Clark's reaction to the Ferris Wheel and what happens on it, probably would never be seen on the show but for dramatic purposes, it was needed. Enjoy, everybody.

 

"Ferris Wheel Fun"

by PMD

 

"Ah---not so sure about this, guys."

I take my arm away from Chloe's waist and turn to look at him.

"Clark, it'll be okay."

"I don't know about that. I'm still afraid of heights."

I walk up to him and whisper, "Clark, you can fly---soar above the crowds. How can you be afraid of heights still?"

"I can control my flying---I can't control that contraption. And what happens if it gets stuck or goes crazy? I mean, I can't be in two places at once?"

Chloe walks over and Lana leans close, closing off Clark to the crowd. "Clark, you are so fast, you could save us and be back in your seat in a split second, without anybody knowing you saved us," Chloe whispers.

"Honey---if you don't want to do it, you won't mean any less to us if you back down," Lana states, giving him a hug and a kiss.

He stands ramrod straight now. "No---I can do this---really I can."

I walk up to him and pat his back. "That's the spirit!"

"Thanks, guys."

"For what, Sweetheart?" Lana asks him, snaking her arm around hers.

"For giving me an out and liking me, even if I took it."

"Clark, Clark, Clark---how many times do we have to tell you this? We love you, faults and all," Chloe states, snaking her arm around mine.

We hear a chuckle from Clark, as we walk ahead of them. "Thanks," I reply to her.

"For what?"

"For loving my goofy friend."

"He was my goofy friend before he was yours---but---"

"But what?" I ask, stopping to look at her.

"But---you're welcome," she answers, leaning up and giving me a kiss, that threatens to deepen until we hear somebody clear their throat.

We tear ourselves away from each other and look at the man before us. "Tickets!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Clark looks a little green---like he---"

"Yes," I agree with her. "Maybe it's best he doesn't go on the ride."

"I thought you were the one who always says face your fears?" she asks me.

"Well, only if it doesn't hurt the person or the one who's helping them."

She leans up and whispers to me, "Yes, but nothing can hurt him."

"Embarrassment---Chloe. He might be embarrassed if he gets sick on the contraption."

"Oh, yeah. Well then, we'll have to take his mind off of the ride while he's on it---you could sing that song he likes?"

I smile at her. "You know, I knew there was a reason I loved you."

"Only one," she states with a smile.

"Well---more than one. But this one is in the top 10."

"Oh, what's that?" she asks, as she sits down on the seat before us.

I get in and sit next to her, putting my arm around her shoulder. "You think about others before yourself."

"Well, I try."

"And succeed," I state, before giving her a kiss.

"Hey, when is this ride going to start?"

We turn our heads to see a slightly panicked Clark. "Clark, it'll be okay," I reply.

"I don't---" He stops talking when Lana kisses him, gently but firmly.

"Gee, I never thought of distracting him that way," Chloe quips.

I turn to look at her. "And you better never distract him that way, ever, Chlo."

"Don't worry---been there, done that---eh---he wasn't that great a kisser."

"How would you know that? Both times, you didn't---Chloe---you remembered?" I ask her.

"Just the one where I was affected by the worm," she answers.

"So---"

"Yes, and I apologize profusely for stating you should get a toupee. I was out of my head with that remark---after all, I am into skin."

I grin at that. "So, you like bald men?"

"Only one---you---and it's love, not like, Luthor."

Before I can answer, the ride starts with a jerk and we're on our way.

She leans against me, letting out a sigh. "I love soaring above the crowds with you, Lex."

"Even when we're not in a Ferris wheel?" I ask her.

"Especially then---when we kiss---I'm higher than a kite," she states.

"Me too," I reply.

"Gulp---Lana, I think I'm going to be sick."

"Oh God---I knew this was going---" All of a sudden Chloe stops speaking as the wheel grinds to a halt. "All right---what now?"

"It's stopped---why did it stop?" we hear Clark wonder, the nervousness clearly heard in his voice.

Poor Clark---well we all have our Achilles Heel. Mine is bees---why not heights for Clark?

"Clark---it's part of the ride," Lana states, sympathetically.

"Well---I want it to start again---so I can be on terra firma---right now!"

I turn around. "Clark---it's going to be fine. It'll start up soon."

He shudders once and then lets out a sigh. "I'm sorry that I'm freaking out, guys."

"It's okay, Clark. You're only human," Chloe says and then a smile appears. "I mean, you're more human than a lot of people down there---for being a you-know-what," she whispers.

"Thanks," he answers back. "God, I wish there was something to do to take my mind off this."

"Go on," Chloe states to me. "You know you want to do it, Lex."

Yes, I do. I turn around. "Clark, we could sing your favorite song?"

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Okay---what is it?"

The man is losing it if he can't remember his favorite song---better pull him back. "Drift Away."

"Oh yeah---want to hear that, Lana?"

"Anything to keep you from bugging out, Clark," she answers, with a slight grin.

"So---sing already," Chloe retorts.

I turn back around and start to hum the tune. I can hear him behind me doing the same thing. Then:

"Day after day I'm more confused

But I look for the light through the pourin' rain

You know, that's a game, that I hate to lose

I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY

Beginin' to think, that I'm wastin' time

And I don't understand the things I do

The world outside looks so unkind

I'm countin' on you to carry me through

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY

And when my mind is free

You know your melody can move me

And when I'm feelin' blue

The guitars come through to soothe me

Thanks for the joy you've given me

I want you to know I believe in your song

And rhythm, and rhyme, and harmony

You helped me along, you're makin' me strong

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY

Give me the beat boys and free my soul

I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and DRIFT AWAY"

As our voices fade away, the Ferris wheel starts again and we're on our way back down.

I get out and help Chloe to the ground. We turn to look at Clark and see he's calmed down enough to help Lana out of the ride. Then he looks at me.

He quickly walks over and hugs me. "Clark---too tight!" I gasp out.

"Sorry," he says, when he backs away. Then he whispers, "Thanks for being my hero today, Lex."

I smile at that and pat his back. "Anytime, my friend. We all are afraid of something in our lives---and I might need your help sometime too."

"Lex Luthor---afraid of something? What could you be afraid of?" he asks, with a slight smirk.

I put my arm around his shoulder and we walk away from the girls. "Let's see---my father showing up at my wedding, my friends getting hurt because of him, bees, wasps---"

"Okay---I get the drift. Don't worry; I'll help you through the fears, like you helped me through mine, Lex. Count on me, through thick and thin."

"Yes, and we'll help too," I hear Chloe state, as she walks up to us and steers me away from Clark. "Your father can't do anything to you ever again, Lex---you've got all of us to protect you, like you've protected us through the years."

"I know---it's just an irrational fear I have. It's lessened though, since I have you three around. So---what now? Dinner?"

"Let's go home and have dinner instead of here. I feel the need to snuggle with my honey," she replies, leaning up and kissing my cheek.

"Your wish is my command," I state, leading her towards my car---the others following close behind.

As we leave the fair, we know that this day has been special---it's lead to a deeper friendship between all of us---for we all know we are not perfect---we have fears that sometimes can be overwhelming. But we also know that when push comes to shove---that we are there for each other, to help get us through these often irrational and yet very heartfelt fears. After all, that's what friends are for---to get us through the hard times and share in the good times.

 

The End.