Title: The Devil You Know

Author: Brandi

E-mail: Juno_skywalker@yahoo.com

Archive: Yes. Just let me know where.

Date: 10/3/00

Rated: NC-17 for M/M sex, violence, and some language

Pairings: Jim/Blair & Xander/Spike

Disclaimer: I don't own them or make money off of them. Wish I did.<g> Characters are owned by Pet Fly(Sentinel), WB Network (BtVS), and Sci-Fi (Highlander)

Author's Note: Story is rated as a whole, not in parts. Special thanks to my beta Lyn for doing such a great job for me. <<Hugs>>

Summary: Xander must face his future, Spike must face himself, Blair and Jim must face their fear, and all must stop a serial killer before he claims another victim.


The Devil You Know 1: Dream A Little Dream Of Me
by Brandi


SUNNYDALE, CALIFORNIA:

Back Alley Of The Bronze 3:29 a.m. :

//They weren't going to make it! Oh God, please don't let this be happening. PLEASE!// That was all Xander could think of as the vampire assassin loomed over him, moving in for the kill. Xander used his hand to search along the ground for anything he could use as a weapon. He knew better than to take his eyes of this killer for a second, even if it meant it would help him locate the stake he had dropped earlier. So here he was, flat on his butt, using one hand to search and the other to help him scoot back further away from the creature that had him on tonight's dinner menu. All the while praying for Buffy, Giles, Willow, anyone who could come in and save him from Mr. Smelly here. Xander's hand touched something wooden and without thinking he snatched it up to use as his last line of defense. His mind raced for some way to make the vampire give him the opening he needed. He was going to show this creep that he was someone who wouldn't go down without a fight!

God, he was so tired. Where the hell was everyone? Xander knew he wasn't going to last much longer. Actually he should be surprised that he had lasted this long but figured Mr. Fangs here was just playing with him. What happened next he would have to figure out later. One moment he was being slammed up against a wall about to have his throat torn out, the next an inhuman battle cry sounded and the vampire assassin was being tackled while he was sliding to the ground.

Sounds of hand to hand combat were the only thing Xander's tired mind registered as he slumped with his eyes closed and his body unwilling to move. However, as much as he wanted his rescuer to fight it out for him, Xander knew the guy didn't stand a chance against the vampire alone. Meaning he had to finish this himself. So Xander ordered his body to gather what little strength he had left for one more try and hoped it would be enough to save himself and his rescuer. Opening his eyes and taking a deep breath, he pushed himself up off the ground and stood with one hand against the wall for support. Xander looked up in time to see his rescuer go down and knew that it was now or never. With a shove off the wall he lunged out with the stake he had found earlier and drove it straight into the vampire's heart via way of its back.

Xander fell to his knees on the dust pile that was once the vampire assassin, his energy now spent. He forced himself to crawl over to his rescuer's side to see if the guy was still alive. With a shaking hand Xander reached out and touched the blonde guy's neck to find a pulse, only to discover there wasn't one. "Oh God!" he sobbed, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." It was all his fault, he thought, that this man had died to save him. Just as he was about to berate himself for being too late, he heard a low moan. Could he have missed the man's heart beat? My God, the man was alive. ALIVE! Xander thanked the big guy up stairs for this miracle. The man groaned and Xander helped him to a sitting position. " Are you alright, dude?" questioned Xander.

"I've had better days, mate," an accented voice replied.

"Spike!" Xander whispered in shock as he watched Spike turn to face him. Surprised at seeing one of Sunnydale's worst vampires looking at him with those bluer than blue eyes and smiling at him sapped what little strength Xander had left. Staring at Spike, time seemed to stand still and as his world narrowed till he only saw the man before him . . . . he blacked out.

Spike looked at the slayer's favorite pet with an amused grin on his face. This could get interesting, he thought as he watched for the fear to show on the young man's face. When it didn't eventuate Spike's look became one of confusion. He waved his hand in front of the young man's face. Nothing. He snapped his fingers at the kid. Not even a flinch. //Huh! That's gratitude for you,// Spike thought, //try to help a guy and he goes into shock with out so much as a thank you.// Spike sighed as a little voice inside his head chimed in, "Well you did try to kill him and his friends just last week."// Hhhmm, good point,// he thought with a grin. // Might as well .......what was that smell?// Like a dog on a trail, Spike tried to locate the smell only to discover it was coming from the kid. Leaning closer, the smell lead him to locate a wound just behind the boy's right ear that was slowly bleeding and before he even registered the action, Spike licked it. He licked at it repeatedly tasting something in the blood he had never tasted before. Moaning, he grabbed the kid and pulled him to straddle his lap, never losing contact with his little piece of heaven. Spike felt he was losing control of himself and tried desperately to hold on to what was his old self. His head snapped back as if he had been slapped. Panting, he leaned his forehead against the kids wondering if he could stop what was happening to him.

Too late. Spike felt as if he had finally found what he had been looking for all his life. Whatever was happening to him, had started the moment he tasted the young man's blood and he couldn't stop it even if he wanted to. Strangely he didn't want to anymore. What he did want, however, was for the kid to come out of whatever world he had lost himself in. The kid? The kid? What was his name? The kid had to have a name.

Spike tried to remember what the slayer had called him. He kept playing memories over and over in his head searching his mind for the answer. Then like a gentle breeze the answer came. XANDER. His name was Xander. Spike rolled the name over his tongue a couple of times out loud. "Xander. Xander." he whispered the name like it was his salvation. At the sound of his name, the young man blinked and looked at him, but not really seeing him, laid his head on the vampire's shoulder and promptly fell asleep. Spike, sliding the kid off his lap, stood up and lifted the young man into his arms. He carried Xander to the one place the vampire knew he could get help for the young angel that he held not only in his arms, but now in his un-beating heart.


CASCADE, WASHINGTON:
Same day Cascade P.D. 10:34 a.m.:

"Ellison! Sandburg! In my office now!" called Simon. Jim and Blair looked at each other briefly and closed the file they had just finished. Standing the two men walked into the Captain's office, knowing that what ever this was about they weren't going to like it. Things in Cascade had been quiet for the past two months, almost too quiet and both men had a feeling that something had just changed.

"Come in, gentlemen and close the door behind you." Simon puffed at his cigar as he waited for the men to take a seat before he continued.

"I got a call this morning from a old friend of mine, he is the Captain at the 53 rd precinct in Sunnydale, California. He called to see if I could loan him a couple of officers for a serial killer case that is getting out of hand down there. The killer has already clammed the lives of 12 teenagers and has left messages saying he has targeted his next victim."

"Now this isn't an order but I would like to send you two to help." Simon took a deep breath, then pushed on.

" Jim, it would mean a lot to me if you and Sandburg went down there to give them a hand with this. With your sentinel abilities, you could be the only one to take this guy down before he has a chance to get his hands on another kid."

Jim held up his hand. "Simon, save your breath. I can't speak for Sandburg, but you know I'll do it."

Blair's hands moved as he punctuated his words. "Hey man, were you go I go. Count me in, Simon."

Simon smiled at the two men he considered to be his best friends, even though he would never breath a word of that to Blair. "I knew I could count on you two that's why I told Marcus that you're coming. Here are your tickets and the rest of the information you'll need once you get there. And here is the case file Marcus faxed over for the two of you to look at. You leave tomorrow morning, so you can go ahead and leave for the day so you can pack and take care of what ever you need to. Oh, and gentlemen, I would plan to stay a month just in case things take longer than we think."

Nodding, Jim and Blair had started for the door when Simon stopped them one last time, giving them the only clue of things to come. "Gentlemen, one more thing before you go. Even though Sunnydale seems like a nice quite sleepy little town don't let your guard down even for a moment. You two will be walking into a war zone. They don't call the place ‘The Hell Mouth' for nothing."

"We'll keep that in mind, Simon. Thanks for the warning." Jim said.

Simon watched the best detective team he had leave for the elevator that would send them on their way. "Good luck, guys. You're going to need it." Simon whispered and shut his door softly.

852 Prospect Loft 307 11:05 a.m. :

"Hey man do, you know what the weather is going to be like there?" Blair walked out of his room when he spotted his friend out on the balcony gazing out at the harbor. "Jim? Man, are you ok?" Blair walked over to his partner, worried that he had zoned out again.

Just as he was about to check, he was surprised by Jim's quite, statement. "I had a dream last night, Blair."

Uh oh, Blair got the feeling that he wasn't going to like this. " What was it about, Jim?"

Jim turned away from the harbor to look at Blair but then he's gaze turned into one that was like he was stared off into space, remembering. "I was in the jungle running after a black jaguar. It keep looking back at me to see if I was following it and some how I got a sense of urgency, as if it was begging me to hurry. I heard two distant sounds, one was a faint drum beat, the other was like an animal in great pain and badly suffering. We finally reached the front of the Temple of the Jaguars but instead of going up to it like always, we ran around the side of it to a part of it that I have never seen before in my dreams." Jim took in a ragged breath to steady himself for what he was about to say next. "As we reached the back of the temple, I saw a young snow white jaguar with gray spots on the ground, writhing in pain. I reached out to it and eased it into my lap trying to see what was wrong with it. I was stroking its fur when I realized it wasn't fur anymore. It was skin! I looked again and instead of a jaguar, it was a naked kid in my lap, a teenager. He was moaning in pain and kept saying the words, "Too much. Too much." over and over again. I asked him what was too much and a voice with a British accent replied "Everything, mate." I looked up and there was a wolf looking down at me from this platform, by his side crouched down was a blonde haired man.

The guy looked over at me and said, "Everything is too much for him. Lights, voices, spices in his food, even the clothes he wears feels too abrasive. He has been like this off and on for a while now and some of his friends and I seem to be of the only ones able to help him."

I was confused and pissed so I asked, "So why are you just letting him suffer like this now?"

With a shrug, he said, "Because he won't let me, mate. He is afraid of me and with good reason I might add. I haven't, shall we say, been an absolute angel in the past. I have done some pretty nasty things to him and his friends before now so he doesn't trust me. Not that I blame him mind you, I did try to kill him once or twice," he smiled, " Things like that tend to get in the way of listening to someone when they're trying to help, don't you know."

Now I was really confused "So why the sudden change of heart?"

The guy shook his head in frustration. " How the bloody hell should I know, mate? One minute I was going to kill him, the next I was carrying him to a friend to get help for him. I don't understand it and I'm scared as hell at what is happening to me but I am more frightened of what's wrong with him right now. He won't listen to me so maybe he'll listen to you. You and he are the same, I can smell it on the both of you, mate. What ever it is that you are is what he is and like it or not you're going to help him even if I have to make you!" He stood up and jumped down to stand right beside me. He then stooped down so that we were face to face and he said, " Listen, I don't know what to do for him since he won't let me help him. I've changed and I know it's going to take time to gain his trust but time is something we don't have much of anymore. I love him, you can make of that what you will but it's true. He is my soul and I can't survive with out him." He paused, "I don't want to live on without him and if he doesn't get help soon he will be killed."

"I don't know how I know this but your not human are you?" I stared at the man in front of me.

"Not by a bloody long shot, mate." he said with a laugh and his face changed into that of a monster.

"So who or what are you?"I knew I should be afraid but somehow I didn't feel threatened by this creature.

"Well, people call me Spike but I was also called William the Bloody at one time. As for the what, I would think that would be obvious." Spike winked at me and gave a roguish smile. I got a hell of a surprise when I saw the thing's teeth. "My God you're a . . ."

"Vampire, mate. The word you're looking for is vampire." Spike sighed. "And until just recently a very nasty one at that. As I said I'm no angel but I got my humanity back and I've changed a lot. One might say a complete one eighty." the last was said in a self mocking tone and a look of disgust on his inhuman face, but the look quickly left and his face changed to its human like mask. " Well, you know who and what I am so now it's your turn."

I was still reeling from what I had just learned so it took me a second to register the comment. I
swallowed, " Um. . . I'm Detective Jim Ellison of the Cascade P.D. in Washington."

"Ah, a constable are we? Lovely but that still doesn't answer my question mate and our time here is short. So give, what are you and what can I do to help the kid with the pain?" The vampire asked with just a hint of impatience.

"I'm what is called a Sentinel, kind of a tribal watchman or guardian. As for how you can help the kid you'll have to find a book called The Watchmen by Sir Richard Burton, the explorer not the actor. The book was written over a hundred years ago so it may be a little hard to find, but if you really want to help him then help him find his guide, otherwise the kid will suffer until you do." I looked deeply into Spike's azure blue eyes to make sure that the vampire understood the severity of the statement.

"So how do I go about finding this guide fellow?" he asked.

I cocked his head to one side. "Now that I don't know. You'll just have to read the book to find out, I suppose. If my guide were here then he could tell you. He's the one who keeps up with this sort of thing."

The distant drum beat's rhythm grew a little faster and the sound came closer, echoing all around them.

Spike looked up at the sky then back at me. "Times up, mate and I have to go." He stood up and started to leave.

"Spike?" I asked.

The vampire looked back.

"You be careful to watch the kid close. Sentinel's have what is called a zone out, looks like he kind looking off into space but doesn't respond to anything. He could have a zone out at any time and could freeze in the middle of the street and get himself killed. Only the kid's guide will be able to help him control these zone outs, so until you find his guide, you're going to have to watch his back for a while. Both night and DAY!" I put emphasis on the last word.

Spike gave him a cocky grin " I already am, mate. I all ready am." With that the vampire disappeared into thin air. The once distant drum beat became louder and then there was a sudden crash.

Jim blinked a few times and noticed that his guide was no longer at his side but on the couch writing the whole thing down for his notes. He couldn't help himself as he warily grinned at Blair, forever the scientist he thought . Sigh. Might as well finish this off. "When I woke up I realized two things. One, the crash was from you dropping one of the juice glasses" Jim gave Blair a one of his looks and Blair had the decency to duck his head at the comment. "And two, the drum beat was the sound of your heart beating."

Blair looked up from his notes to judge what Jim wasn't telling him. He knew Jim was leaving out something. He didn't know what but it was obviously bothering the older man. "Okay man, so what else did you notice about this dream that was different?"

"You mean beside the 5'9 Billy Idol look alike vampire?" Jim said, sarcasm dripping of the comment like hot butter.

Ok so he's got me there Blair thought. "Yeah, besides that."

Jim thought about it for a moment, then said, "Purple."

Purple? "Huh? Purple what?"

Turning way from his guide, Jim answered, "Everything was in purple, Chief. Normally when I dream about the jungle it's in blue."

"And this is what has you on edge?" Blair asked.

Sighing, Jim turned back to look back at his partner. "No, Chief what has me, as you said ‘On Edge' is the fact that both the kid and Spike are in Sunnydale and before you ask, no he didn't tell me that's where they are. I just know that they're there. That and Spike did say he was going to make me help him with the kid. It's kind of hard to do from a distance so when Simon asked us to go this morning I knew that Spike was behind it."

"So you're saying this vampire is the killer?" As a shiver ran down his spine, Blair wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer.

"No! He isn't the killer but I would bet the loft and my truck that he is behind us being assigned to this case." Jim walked to the kitchen and got a beer out of the refrigerator. "You want one, Chief?"

Shaking his head, Blair continued "So you're saying . . ." At that moment you could see a light bulb turn on over the younger man's head, "This has nothing to do with him does it? It's the kid you're worried about. You're scared the kid will turn out to be another Alex, aren't you?"

Sitting down hard in the chair, Jim leaned his head back and gazed up at the ceiling. "Got it in one Darwin. What if the kid is another Alex? She . . . ."

Jim swallowed hard. " She almost took you from me. Tried to kill you and me both. How do we know this kid won't succeed where she failed, Chief? She didn't have a guide either and look how she turned out."

Blair got off the couch, walked over to the chair, and kneeled down beside his friend. Placing a reassuring hand on Jim's knee he said softly, "We don't know what this kid will be like but you said that the guy. . . what was his name. . . Spike? That he said that it just started recently and that the kid had friends trying to help him. Right? Alex didn't have that, man. She didn't have anyone so maybe that will be what makes the difference. Maybe the kid has a shot at being someone really great some day. All we can do is try to help and hope for the best, man."

"Ever the optimist aren't you, Sandburg?" Jim looked down into the blue eyes of his best friend and gave him a half smile. I could get lost in those eyes, Jim thought.

Blair's stomach was doing flip flops. Oh God, he's looking at me that way again, Blair thought. It was taking everything he had not to just reach up and kiss Jim within an inch of his life.

Mentally giving himself a shake he stood up and grabbed Jim's hand, giving it a good hard tug. "Come on, Big Guy lets get packed and when we get there we'll just take it one step at a time. And if this kid even exists then we'll help and let the chips fall where they may."

"Got another cliche you want to throw out there, Chief?" Jim asked as he let himself be pulled up out of the chair.

"Yeah. Eat, drink, and be" (SMACK) "Youch!" Blair turned and glared at his sentinel.

Jim just chuckled as he watched his friend try to rub the sting out of his butt. "That was a rhetorical question, Darwin."

Jera's Books and Coffee Shop, Sunnydale the next day
6:30 a.m:

Tapping her foot in time to the beat, Jera did a stand still dance like jiggle as she washed the last
of the dirty dishes in the sink. The radio was playing all of Jera's favorite songs today. She couldn't help but smile at how happy this place always made her feel. The sun was shining brightly through the glass windows of the shop, making the place warm and homey.

Accompanying this sight was the amazing smells of freshly baked danish, muffins, and other delectable goodies filling the air only to blend in with an exotic mixture of coffees and teas from around the world. Everything would be just perfect if a certain blonde.....

(Jingle, Jingle) The ringing of the bell over the back door ringing brought a smile to Jera's face.

"Speak of the devil." Jera said in her soft southern accent.

"And the devil shall appear, luv." Spike said with a warm sexy smile.

Jera dried her hands and turn to admire the handsome Brit as he stepped further into the shop,
dropping a big black leather bag on a near by table.

"True," she returned his sexy smile with one of her own. " Its good to see you again, Spike."

His smile changed to a sad and lonely one. "Yeah? You're the first in a while to think so."

"You know, you look like I need a hug." Spike laughed at his friends antics. Opening her arms wide Jera threw herself into Spike's waiting embrace.

Hugging Spike, tightly Jera continued, "So, what in this world has brought to my shop in daylight hours? Must be something big to risk a Spike flambeau."

Chuckling, Spike loosened his hold on his friend but didn't let go. "That's not so much a problem as it used to be, luv but you're right, it is important. I need a favor, pet. I need you to find a book for me, luv and I needed it yesterday."

Smirking, Jera stepped out of his arms and headed toward her computer on the other side of the shop. "So sweetpea, you have a title, author, or is this just on a particular subject?"

"Actually, pet I have all three. The book is called ‘The Watchmen' it's about something called Sentinels."

Jera started typing the info in. "Hhhmm, sounds interesting. Who's it by?"

"Sir Richard Burton" he read off the paper that he had stuffed in his shirt pocket.

Jera looked up questioningly, "The actor?"

Spike shook his head. "No luv, the explorer. It was written over a hundred years ago." He walked around the counter to join her and read over her shoulder.

She laughed. "Kind of like our life history."

Jera said as she nudged him, which brought a mischievous smile to his face. Wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder, Spike watched as information flashed on the screen at an alarming rate. As they searched the two began to sway in time to the music still being played in the shop. They moved as one in fluid motion for about ten minutes before Jera stopped and her hands flew over the key board.

"I found three copies but they're expensive, sugar. You still want one?" She looked over her
shoulder at him.

Spike seemed to consider it for a moment. "Can you get all three for me, luv? I need at least one copy but would like to have the extras just in case."

Turning from her computer within his arms, Jera placed a sweet chaste kiss on his lips. "You want `em, you got `em, sweetheart," she replied sassily. With a wink, she reached out, grabbing the phone she dialed the number displayed on her computer screen. Waiting while the person on the other end went in search of the books, Jera asked " So how did you like my little gift, babe doll?"

Spike laughed, "Only you, Jera would call the GEM OF AMARRA a little gift."

Jera blushed but prompted, "Well?"

"Of course I like your "little" gift, luv." Looking away from her he whispered, "It allows me to protect my heart's desire."

"And I take it so will these books that you are about to pay an obscene amount of money for." she said with a knowing smile.

"Bloody bugger! Am I that easy to read now?" exclaimed Spike.

Jera laughed, "Well, I have known you for over a hundred years, honey bunny. So I do have a bit of a edge on every one else. Even Angel!"

"Remind me again why we ever became friends." Spike said dubiously.

With a wicked grin, Jera stated simply, "We were sixteen, I let you cop a feel." Wiggling her eyebrows, she leered, "And you let me return the favor."

Spike gave a sharp bark of laughter and Jera then turned her attention back to the phone. She made arrangements to have the books brought directly to the store within the hour.

Sunnydale High School 9:12 a.m. :

Spike stood in the hallway just outside the library wondering for the fourth time in the past five minutes why on earth he was doing this now instead of coming at night. Sighing, he figured he was here now and might as well get it over with. Armed with coffee, baked goods, and one of the three books he has acquired at Jera's shop, he braced himself for the battle ahead. ‘This was going to be fun . . . NOT!' he thought.

Straightening up to his full height and putting on a mask of arrogance, Spike walked right in as if he owned the place, like he did this all the time. Spike had always had a way of getting people's attention when making an entrance and now looked to be no different if the sudden stop in conversation and shocked looks were any indication. ‘Hale! Hale! The gang is all here. Well, most of them.' Looking around but not spotting who he had came to see, he tried to remember everyone's names. Standing there, knowing that timing was everything, he waited to see who recovered first, Willow, her boyfriend Oz, rich bitch Cordelia, fellow vampire Angel, the slayer Buffy, or his Xander. Spike had to fight the warm smile that threatened to break free of the mask he had erected, at the sight of the curious expression on his beloved's face. Of course Spike just knew it was going to be his sire that broke the silence and wasn't at all surprised at Angel's warm. . . . ahem . . . .welcome.

"Why the hell are you here, Spike?" Angel was in Spike's face in an instant.

Giving them his best wounded bird look he answered.

"Well, that's a fine how do you do! And here I brought breakfast and everything."

"What do you want, Spike?" Buffy snarled at him.

Making a tisking sound as he walked by, he ignored the dynamic duo and went to set his things down on the table, handed out most of the coffees and caramel eclairs.

Putting a restraining hand on Buffy's shoulder to keep her from attacking Spike, Angel said "What ever it is your going to say or do, Spike just be done with it and go."

Spike realized he better get to the point of his visit before the Slayer decided to use him for target practice.

Jera's parting words echoed in his ears, "Now listen sweet cheeks . The best thing for you to do right now is to just take a bite of eclair, a gulp of your coffee, take a breath, drop your little bombshell, and make a run for it, sugar. Other wise when the Slayer is through with you whatever's left of you can be found in a dust pan." Simple, blunt, and to the point that was his Jera for you.

"Well since you asked so sweetly, Peaches I'll tell you." Spike felt a sliver of satisfaction as he watched Angel wince at Spike's pet name for him. Taking a coffee and a eclair for himself, book still firmly in his right hand, Spike sat down at the table next to Xander and continued, "Not that it any of your business, Slayer but I came to see your guide. To help someone in need, so to speak. Call it my good deed for the decade if you will. Ah Giles perfect timing."

The others turned to see the librarian who, they noticed, was unsurprised to see the vampire sitting at the table nibbling on a pastry and sipping coffee. "I apologize for my tardiness. I trust that since your here you located the book that you spoke of over the phone this morning."

Nodding in the direction of what was left of his peace offering, Spike asked "Want one?"

Giles polished exterior wavered for a minute, "Jera's?" he asked almost hopefully.

"Nothing but the best, mate." Spike replied, which earned him a smile from Giles. Well, as mush as the stuffy librarian was willing to bestow on him anyway.

Spike watched as Giles snagged his share of the goodies on the table and waited for him to pass the table before getting up to follow him into the office.

‘Maybe he was actually going to get through this without giving into temptation and grabbing Xander to take him somewhere so they could boff like a couple of bunnies for. . . .oh say the rest of their lives.

Hhhmm now there's an image a bloke could use to keep him warm on a cold night.' Spike thought.

Somewhere in Sunnydale 2:30 a. m. next morning:

Cool hands brushed up his back in small comforting circles. His lover whispering his name softly in his ear. Nibbling, caressing, licking him all over his body, slowly driving him mad. His lover turning him over on his back. The blonde was straddling him, slowly rubbing their erections together and building up a wonderful feeling of friction. Moans of pleasure his, his lover's, or both he didn't know. Didn't care anymore. Cool lips brushing against his, lovingly moving in for a quick kiss. And then another. Then the kisses were coming faster, harder, longer, deeper, and growing more urgent. Hands stroking up and down his chest. Playing with his nipples.

Mouth leaving his. His groan of disappointment followed swiftly with a moan of pleasure and his lover's mouth began to bite, lick, and suck his sensitive nipples. He arched off the bed as his lover caressed his balls, the blonde man rolled them with talented hands. His love's mouth started moving south again to stop and lick his navel. Shivering. He couldn't stop shivering with need and pleasure. His lover was now rimming his navel with his tongue. His head thrashing back and forth. His nails digging into his lover's shoulder, he was softly pleading, begging for something he couldn't describe.

Something he didn't understand or know what it was he wanted; only that he wanted it. He needed it. Now! His love was moving further down his body and knew what he was asking for. Mouth engulfing his now leaking member to the root. He was whimpering now as he begged for more. A slick finger entered him, moving within him.

Then another joined its twin, touching something inside of him that nearly sent him over the edge each time they brushed against it. And still he wanted more. Needed his love. Needed to mate. Needed join with his mate. Now! He grabbed his lover, throwing him off of him and onto his stomach. Grabbing his mate's hips, he thrust into the tiny opening with savage force, biting the back of his mate's neck, ripping a scream of pleasure and pain from the man beneath him.

He pounded into his mate hard and fast chanting "Mine! Mine!" his mate crying out for more until he roared out his mate's name as he spilled his seed deep within his blue eyed love, "SSSSSPPPPPPIIIIIIIKKKKKKEE!"

Xander awoke from his dream still calling out his mate's name. Blinking in confusion, his senses were wide open searching for someone who wasn't there. Looking at the clock he groaned at the time, 3:30 a. m.

Across town in Jera's Books and Coffee Shop 3:27 a.m.
:
Sitting on the living room floor of the apartment upstairs, Jera and Spike sat cross legged across from one another in a deep trance. A minute later, their eyes snapped open and they stared at one another for a moment, each trying to calm their heavy breathing.

Easing her hands from his, Jera watched her friend's wicked grin grow. "You know this could be considered a form of. . . ahem . . . invasion of privacy, sugar."

"True, but what he doesn't know won't get me staked," he quipped back.

Laughing, Jera said "You've turned into a dirty old man, Spike! I still can't believe I let you talk me into letting you get in the kid's dream. My God Spike! How old was that kid? Sixteen? Seventeen?"

"Seventeen and what difference does it make?" he asked.

Jera hooted, "Oh how the mighty have fallen! *Giggle* And for a *gasp* seventeen year old brunette boy who hates your guts." Gasping and holding her sides, Jera fell over and rolled on the floor with laughter.

Spike growled " And WHAT is wrong with that?"

t his tone Jera sobered instantly "You have got to be kidding right?! Putting aside for a moment that you're a vampire and he is a human. Putting aside the fact that you scare the shit out of the poor little lamb just by looking at him. HE'S SIXTEEN! HE IS MORTAL! HE WILL DIE EVENTUALLY! If you make him an immortal like you he'll lose his soul. He won't be the young man you know now." Jera watched as her friend looked away. Her face turning sad, she reached out and touched his arm. "Even if you subtracted a hundred years, honey he would still be a teenager and you would still be too old for him."

Looking her straight in the eye Spike countered, "The heart knows no age, luv." He inhaled
deeply, "You're right about everything but two things, pet. He is seventeen and I'm not exactly a vampire anymore."

Jera searched Spike's eyes and waited for the punch line, but it never came. Eyes widening, Jera noticed for the first time that Spike was warmer than usual. Reaching for the pressure point at the neck, she pressed there to confirm her suspicions. There! Right there at her finger tips she felt it, weak, so slow in beat that it couldn't even be called a pulse really but it was there none the less. A heart beat, one not fast enough for a human and too fast for a vampire. He wasn't a vampire anymore and he wasn't human, but how? When? She had to know and she wasn't going to back down until she got to the bottom of this. " Spike!

What in God's name is going on here and you better talk fast, MISTER!"

"I wish I knew, luv. I wish I knew." Spike said in frustration.

"Do you know when this started?" Jera asked worriedly.

Hesitantly, he spoke, " It started the night I brought him to you for help, luv."

She inhaled sharply, "Ok that's not long. So let me guess, the kid is the key to this change right?" When Spike just nodded at her, she sighed. "Well it's a start.. . . . . And I'm betting it has to do with this Sentinel business too. Ok we'll figure this out, sweetpea." She gave him a quick hug and got up. Walking over to her computer she contacted one of her friends in records via email.

"What are you doing, pet?" Spike pulled himself up off the floor and looked over her shoulder. His jaw nearly hitting the floor, he stammered, "You're asking HIM!"

Shrugging "Well Methos is over five thousand years old, sugar. If anyone would know it would be him." " So now what? We wait? I hate waiting Jera, you know that!"

Chuckling Jera replied "Then what do you say we pay that lovely Constable Jim Ellison a bit of a visit? To welcome to them *snicker* neighborhood so to speak."

Spike's usual wicked grin returned in full force "Well what are you waiting for pet? Get your arse in gear and lets welcome him and his guide proper."

"Would be rude not to and we simply can't have that."

A grin of equal wickedness grew on Jera's mouth to compliment her friends. "And we simply have to bring something for them to eat as a gift. Tradition, you know."

Arching his left scared eyebrow, Spike asked evilly, " Is it now?" And with that the two headed
down stairs to ready said gift for the unsuspecting sentinel and guide.

Durby's Dinner and Hotel 4:05 a.m. :

After giving the guy at the desk a ten spot, Spike and Jera had Detective Ellison's room number and rental car tag number. The two, clad in black except for the red over shirts that were mostly hidden under the ankle length black leather jackets, stealthily made their way to the room.

Keeping watch, Jera played look out while Spike picked the electronic lock. When he tapped on the shoulder, Jera turned and entered the room only to turn to turn back to the door and placed a mat down on the floor. Smiling, Spike mentally read the one word written on the mat. WELCOME. That one word allowed him entrance to any home or hotel room, as the case maybe. Spike crossed the threshold without further ado, looking forward to waking the sleeping sentinel his way. Quietly, Spike closed the door after retrieving the mat and turned to see Jera setting their ‘gift' down. Nodding, Spike put on his ‘game face', then he and Jera moved to the beds to rouse their two sleeping beauties.

Blair was having another one of those dreams where he and Jim were walking naked hand in hand down a long stretch of beach. Jim was talking to him, really talking to him. Telling him about his hopes, his fears, his dreams, telling him that he loved him and couldn't envisage a future without Blair. Jim stopped and pulled Blair to him. Leaning down, he picked Blair
up so that he was eye level and Blair wrapped his legs around Jim's hips. Holding him closer than close Jim kissed him, a kiss that sent a searing white heat to his very soul. It was pure heaven on earth but then there was a growling sound and he knew it wasn't coming from Jim.

When the growl became a stranger's voice, "Wake up......wake up......WAKE UP!"

Blair's eyes snapped open to see the very devil himself looking back at him. "Good morning." it cooed almost happily at him. Blair did what any self respecting anthropologist would do in a situation like this. . . . he screamed bloody murder and fell out of bed.

Jim was having that dream again, the one where he was standing in the bull pen of the precinct and no one was there. Jim called out but no one was there, not one person. He started a room by room search and again came up empty. Frustrated, he turned and headed back to the bull pen and when he got there, the place was full of people. Looking around in confusion, he headed for his desk to sit down. When he got there though, Blair was sitting in his chair with his feet propped up on his desk. Then the room was silent and Jim looked around again at the sudden quiet. When Jim looked back at his desk, his eyes nearly popped out of his head, sitting at his desk was now a VERY naked Blair Sandburg. Jim watched mesmerized as one of the younger man's legs hooked itself over the arm of his chair, the other remaining propped up on the desk.

Blair leaned back in the chair as far as he would go and just smiled lazily at Jim. Jim looked at his partner from head to toe, pausing for a moment in wonder as he watched the younger man's penis slowly become erect. His eyes shot up to meet Blair's knowing ones and his heart started to try to beat it's way out of his chest. Blair reached out a hand to him beckoning him closer. Of their own free will, Jim found his feet answering the summons and stood before the young man in mere moments. His knees seemed to also have a mind of their own for he was no longer standing before Blair but kneeling before him like he was an altar. Blair's smile was a welcoming one as he stood up in front of Jim. With a sweep of his arm, Blair cleared the desk of everything, lamp, computer and files hitting the floor without a sound. Reaching down he pulled Jim up off the floor and slowly undressed the bigger man, licking and nipping as new skin was revealed. Jim moaned but again there was no sound. Nude, standing there before his mate, Jim watched as Blair pushed him down so his back was flat against the desk. Blair leaned down, just inches from his aching cock and let out a scream. A SCREAM?

Jim bolted straight up in bed and was tackled by someone, the force of the blow knocking him off of the bed to land on top of his attacker. Looking down and seeing Blair was his first surprise that morning but it was hearing the all too familiar sound of male British laughter that made him want to get up and kill something. Growling in the face of his guide, Jim rolled off of Blair and helped him to his feet. After checking to ensure his partner was alright, Jim turned and glared and at the vampire who was now standing up on Blair's bed. Jim's growling grew as he watched him flop down on the bed and bounce off to land feet first like some strange cat.

"Spike!" Jim ground out between clenched teeth.

Still chuckling, Spike replied, "Sorry for the surprise wake up call, constable but it seems I gave your guide there a bit of a fright."

(Part 4...The Lost One)

Durby's Dinner and Hotel 4:30 a.m. :

"Spike!" Jim ground out between clinched teeth.

Still chuckling, Spike replied, "Sorry for the surprise wake up call, constable, but it seems I gave your guide there a bit of a fright."

He didn't look one bit sorry, in Jim's opinion, but he chose to keep it to himself. That didn't mean he wasn't going to keep a close eye on the vampire just in case he tried to pull something. Even when keeping an eye on the blonde man, he still wasn't ready for what he had up his sleeve.

"Spike? So you're the one from Jim's vision!" Blair exclaimed. Getting over his initial shock, he tried to push past Jim to face the blond.

Arching his scared brow at the guide's antics, Spike extended his hand to meet the younger man's but was blocked by the sentinel's body.

"Guilty as charged," the mischievous merriment evident in his voice, "And you must be Blair. I must say, pet, that the constable described you dead on." The latter was accompanied with a leer while nodding his bleached head toward Jim.

Blair looked over at Jim in time to see the older man blush. *Jim just blushed. Jim never blushes. What did he say about me?* Blair filed the question away for a later time.

"Breakfast?" Spike asked as he went to stand by a beautiful green eyed brunette woman. Jim sighed to himself when he realized he had been so focused on Spike he never even realized she was there.

Jim glared harder and answered, "Breakfast would be fine, since we're up anyway." *Damn it, there's that smile again.* He thought about staking the vampire as he moved forward, making sure that Blair was still behind him the entire time.

"AHEM!" The woman glared at her companion.

"Oh, right!" With a horrified look on his face that Jim didn't buy for a minute, Spike exclaimed dramatically, "Where are my manners?" Taking the hand of the woman next to him, he continued, "Detective Jim Ellison, I would like to introduce a friend of mine. This is Jera Lawson. My closest friend in this world in life and un-life." "I have heard much about you sir." She replied as she stepped forward and extended her hand to him. Her smile was warm, her
manner unthreatening, and almost caused Jim to relax completely. Almost. Shaking her hand briefly, he noticed three things right off the bat about her.

She had the oldest eyes he'd ever seen in a young face, which was saying a lot given his years in Vice. There he'd seen fourteen year-old's with the eyes of 50 year-old's; she was more like twenty going on two thousand. Her scent was off, too, tinged with an ozone smell he connected with thunderstorms and lightning. That and she didn't react at all to the strong static spark that flew from his hand to hers when they touched.

"And this is his guide." Spike indicated the man behind the detective.

Blair nodded. "Are you a vampire as well?"

"No, she isn't." Jim answered before anyone else. "She isn't really a mortal human either."

A musical laugh like none either Jim or Blair had heard before escaped the woman's throat "Human? Yes. Mortal? No. Like Spike I am an immortal. Just a different kind is all sugar." A saucy grin played upon her shimmering ruby lips. Jera looked over at her friend. "You were right sweetpea. He is good." "It's hard to explain," she said, not at all patronizingly. "I'm human, I died, but I didn't die, and most things won't kill me. Of course just what I am exactly no one's figured out, and honey, I'm sure not digging to find out."

"I'm Blair Sandburg." Blair introduced himself from behind Jim. He was trying to get past the older man a second time but to no avail. Sighing, he switched tactics and just peered around larger man instead. The two immortals leaned to their right to peer back at the smaller man with amused grins on their faces. The smile that was returned in kind by the clear blue-eyed man was a dazzling one, even if it was a bit shaky with suppressed laughter.

"What do you say about getting this show on the road, gentlemen? I have a shop to open in a few hours."

Smirking, Spike announced, "Always to the point. That's my Jera pet for you." Shaking his head, Spike smiled fondly at his friend.

Rolling her eyes, Jera indicated that they should take their seats around the table.

Shifting her gaze to Jim, she asked, "By the way darlin', what gave me away?".

"I can smell it as well as sense it." Jim offered as a way of explanation.

Blair shot Jim a look that clearly said *I want details later, Mister!*

Jim groaned inwardly, knowing his guide was going to waylay him with hundreds of questions the minute their visitors left. All Jim really wanted was for Blair to lay him. Spike handed out the gourmet coffee and Jera's special chocolate raspberry truffle muffins.

"Oh man! These are sinful." Blair moaned in pleasure after taking his first bite.

Jim nearly swallowed his tongue at the sound his guide made. *Damn, I'm going to need a cold shower* he thought. Shifting uncomfortably in his seat, Jim took a swallow of his coffee, hoping to distract himself from his fantasies of his moaning partner. The exotic taste of the coffee exploded on Jim's tongue. Somehow the taste was familiar but unknown. Smacking his lips, he tried to analyze the flavor only to come up short. Confusion multiplied and streaked his face as he took a larger swallow; it was no use. He just couldn't remember where... Eyes shot wide as the taste finally registered within his mind. "Coe le! Na hu mon La Que`a Chopec?"

Laughing, Jera nodded her head.

"Someone mind telling me what's going on, or should I just assume I need to climb up a water tower with a paint can to defend my sister's honor." Spike said sarcastically in his best impression of southern redneck.

Jera laughed harder at the horrible accent. Only after managing to get herself under control did she explain. "Do you remember the time I spent in Peru?" At Spike's nod she continued, "Well Jim here seems to be a fellow tribal member. He just figured out my secret ingredients in the coffee."

"And you're still drinking it.... BRAVE man." Spike ducked just in time to miss getting hit by a piece of muffin.

Blair watched the scene unfold before him, laughing at the antics of the two immortals. Spike was the first to bring up the true reason for the visit.

"As fun as this is, we should start talking about why we're all here." Pulling out the files hidden with in his duster, Spike handed them out to everyone.

Jera opened her folder and looked at the sentinel. "I hate to hit you with this first thing sugar, but there is something you need to know. The case you two have been assigned to isn't what you think it is. It's a lot bigger than even the police are willing to acknowledge. Inside you'll find the names of all the victims-- human AND demon.

"We know of 12 teenagers so far. " Jim told the immortals.

Blair looked over at his friend before opening his own file and questioned. "How many more are there that we don't already know about?"

Doing a quick tally, Jim swore to himself. "Fifteen more, Chief."

Blair, feeling a little green but trying not to show it, set down his coffee. "Do we know his M.O.?"

"That's the thing, sweetpea, we don't have a clue other than the fact there isn't hardly enough left to fit into a baggie." Jera replied.

"Actually, pet, that i'n't true." at Jera's raised brow Spike explained, "Look at the locations. All the murders take place around one of three places: the Bronze, the cemetery, and the main opening for the Hell Mouth."

Taking a closer look at the places the bodies were found, Jera had to agree. "He's right. The first body, which was human, and the last two, which were demon, were found near the cemetery. The next few were found in the back of the High School, which is close to where the opening is located. The rest were found in the back alley of the Bronze."

"So what kind of place is the Bronze?" Jim asked as he made notes of what the immortals were telling him.

"It's the local hang out for the kiddies round here. It's also one of the best hunting places for us vamps. Gotta warn you tho constable. The slayer and her scoobies hang out there, so be careful not to step on her toes." Grinning wickedly, Spike chuckled, "Course wouldn't hurt my feelins none iffin you want to rough up the slayer and her flunkies a bit, so long as you leave my Xanpet alone."

"Ssssppppiiikkkeeee." Jera warned.

"What?" Spike looked innocently at his dearest friend.

Shaking her head "Can the look, puddin'. I know you better than that."

"Awww. Getting' so a bloke can't have no fun anymore." the blond pouted.

"What's a slayer?" Jim asked clearly puzzled.

Rolling his eyes, the vampire snarled. "She's a bleedin' pain in the arse is what she is."

The female next to him laughed and answered. " The slayer is the one genetically chosen once every generation to destroy demons, slay vampires, and stop plots to open the Hell Mouth and/or the destructions of the world."

"She's superfast for a human, as strong as most vamps, and damn hard to kill." Spike put in, "Trust me. I've tried." Sighing, he added, "She is also one of Xander's friends. Don't know why he likes the chit, but he does."

"Which brings up the other reason we are here. Xander. How is the kid doing?," the sentinel wondered.

"He's doing okay considering we haven't found his guide yet. Would love to know how we're going to find the wanker."

They worked on a game plan, throwing out ideas of how to handle both problems. Time past quickly, as their conversation changed minutes into hours. Blair's sense of connection to Spike grew with every moment; it was as if he where sitting down with a brother he hadn't seen in years. All too soon Jera and Spike stood to leave.

Nodding to himself, Jim confirmed. "So we're agreed then. The best place to start on the case is to talk to the slayer and let her know we're here. We'll try and get her help. This will give both Blair and I a chance to meet with Xander and work with him without anyone finding out we know Spike."

"Its better that way, Jim. They'd be suspicious of you once they find out we're acquainted with each other. Especially Xander and the slayer's watcher." Spike muttered.

Jera glanced at her watch. "Well it's been fun gentlemen, however, it's now 6:30 and I have a shop to open. Will, do you have the ring?" Looking over at her sunlight impaired friend.

Holding up his hand Spike quipped, "Like American Express, I never leave home without it." The whap to the back of his head was no deterrent for the smile born on his lips.

"Smartass!" Jera chuckled.

"PhD certified, pet," he said with a wiggle of his bum.

"More like FDA approved." Winking, Jera pinched his ass and bounced out of Spike's range of fire over to Jim and Blair. Shaking each man's hand she spoke softly, "It was a pleasure to meet you both and I look forward to seeing you again. Blair, if you ever need any hard to find books, give me a jingle, sugar. I know Will does." "I'll do that." Blair's smile was warm, and for the hell of it he embraced the immortal in a hug.

Laughing Jera smiled at the young man in her arms. He reminded her of another young scholar she had once known long ago, before the... change. Her William.

"I know what your thinking luv, so get it out of your head. He belongs to the constable so there'll be no keeping him." Spike teased. Blair watched as Jim yet again blushed from head to toe. //Why is he blushing? Jim never blushes and here he is blushing. That makes what twice in one day and it was only 6 am?// Blair thought. "One last thing..." Spike reached into his jacket and pulled out a folder. Passing it to Jim he parted with words that the ex-soldier couldn't help but take to heart. "Things are not what they seem here in Sunny Hell." The vampire's face morphed into its true form, "So you can't take anything for granted." His golden eyes flicked to Blair and back again to Jim "Not anything, pet."

Stark Street that same day 4:30 a.m. :

Blood dripped from tired fingers. Pieces of flesh, bone, and brain matter covered everything in the little alleyway behind the dollar store. He'd spent hours ripping the body apart just trying to stop the feelings. Blasted redhead had made him hurt her. It was all her fault. The girl had set his teeth on edge. Made him feel things he didn't want to remember feeling. Things he hasn't had to face since he was ... *NO! Don't think about it. * He berated himself. She's dead now and the feeling was gone. It was over. At least he hoped so. She wasn't the first to make him feel this way but he hoped she was the last. He just wanted to forget. Forget the love, laughter, feeling of being whole and the pain of having it all ripped away and left alone.

He was cold, empty, and had to shut out those memories just to move on, just to keep on living. He'd come here to do a job and that was what he was going to do. Looking at his clothes he wasn't surprised to see he was covered in blood. Even made him smile a bit with a bit of nostalgia. He remembered when he and his lover would roll in the floor making love smearing blood and what ever else they'd been using to... *SHUT UP! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!*

He needed a shower. Yes, that was it. He needed a shower and clean clothes. Wash away the blood, tears, and sweat. He'd forget then and he'd be fine again. Yes everything would be just fine. Just fine.

 

Part 5: Feel Me, Kiss Me, Or Kill Me?

Library of Sunnydale High School 6:00 p. m. :

The table was crowded with people when he and Blair arrived at the library. They arrived at the time Spike had indicated, and just as the vampire had said, the group was gathered for their evening meeting before the slayer would patrol. All conversation came to a grinding halt as they breezed through the doors.

"May I help you gentlemen?" a stuffy looking man asked with an upper-class British accent.

Jim looked at each person in turn before answering. "No, Mr. Giles. We are here to help you. Actually we are here to help him." Jim nodded at Xander. The sentinel in him was calling to him, whispering of the younger sentinel's presence. It distracted him. However, he would follow Spike's plan as they had agreed. "It is good to see you again, Xander. I, however, do not sense your guide. Still seeking him out?" Jim said.

"How do you know about Xander? Who are you?" a blond girl asked.

Locking eyes with her, Jim stated, "A friend, Slayer. We have come to help the young one and train him in our ways. Fear not. We mean you no harm. The tribe is sacred and you are part of Xander's tribe. We sentinels protect the tribe until death." The stunned silence that fell on the room was almost deafening. Jim smiled to himself as the others, Spike had called them the *Scooby Gang*, gawked at him and Blair as if they were from another world.

"Jim?" Xander's confusion ringing clear in his voice.

Smiling, Jim stepped forward and embraced the other sentinel as if a long lost friend. Xander stiffened for a moment but relaxed against him and hugged Jim closer.

"You're real." Xander's exclamation was muffled against Jim's shoulder. "I thought I was going out of my mind."

Stepping back, Jim looked down at the teen in his arms. "No, Xander, you are not losing your mind. I am very real.

"Well, yes, all right then. Xander, if you'd be so kind as to introduce us to your friends, then," Giles stammered as he hid his confusion by cleaning his glasses.

Laughing, Blair looked at Jim and shook his head. "Man, I keep trying to get him to introduce us first."

Smiling a bit, Jim let go of Xander and moved back to his guide's side. "Sorry. My name is Jim Ellison and I'm a sentinel like Xander here. This hairball beside me is my guide, Blair Sandburg." Jim ducked the playful punch Blair threw. Laughing a bit at his guide's pout, Jim continued, "We had no idea you wouldn't know we were coming to aid Xander. I just assumed he had told everyone about his dreams by now. I forget he doesn't know about the visions yet."

"Visions?" the red-haired girl asked.

"Yes, visions." Blair explained. "All sentinels and their guides have them. Rule number one is that any dream that is dreamt in purple or blue within a jungle setting is a dream about yourself or a future that has yet to be lived. Though the future is not set, take each dream to heart. They may save the lives of you, your guide and your friends. Make sure you tell your guide about every one of them so that he or she can help you find the hidden meanings. Also, the animals within your dream are spirit guides and you will know which is yours the moment you see it."

"Cool, but can I use them to find my guide?" Xander asked as he sat back down.

"Have you not already seen the wolf?" Jim asked

"Yeah."

"That is your guide's animal spirit. Follow the wolf and he will lead you to your guide." Shaking his head, Jim muttered. "It's the only reason I sought Blair out."

*Oops* Jim thought as he saw Blair shoot him that 'We are so having a talk after this.' look. *Sigh. Yippee! Yet another thing they were going to talk about when they got back to the hotel tonight.* Jim had managed to sidestep the earlier discussion Blair had wanted to have by reminding him they had work to do first

Everyone started to talk at once, but Xander and he remained silent and watchful. The smell of ozone infused the air around Jim, his skin felt like it was about to itch and burn off. He remembered the feeling from the hotel this morning and he knew that Jera was close by. The girl named Cordelia slammed a book closed. The sound sent Jim's hearing off the charts but he tried not to rip someone's head off for it.

"Quiet!" Jim growled loudly. Feeling a hand on his arm, Jim snapped his head around to see who was touching him, even though he already knew.

Blair.

The moment his eyes made contact, the sentinel began to settle down. But it was Blair's voice that soothed the primal man within, completely. "Easy. I've got you. Calm down. Deep breaths." Blair's hand cupped his face, eyes locked on his. "What's wrong?"

"Too loud. I was trying to let my senses hone in on something and suddenly it was too loud." Jim shivered.

"What is it? What do you sense?" Blair stroked his thumb rhythmically against Jim's jaw to keep him from zoning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xander watched in awe as Jim gave himself completely over to his guide, Blair. Something inside of him stirred and knowledge bubbled to the surface. This is what he needed, wanted. He longed for what he sensed with these two.

"I sense some humans, one vampire, a werewolf, a witch, the slayer and those of our kind." Breathing deep, he leaned into the touch. "But there are two who are coming this way. They're not... identifiable. I can feel them, taste them, but I can't..." Jim shivered.

"Easy. Focus. What can't you do, Jim?" The guide asked as he soothed his sentinel.

"I can't remember." Frustrated, Jim growled softly, " I've felt this before; I just don't remember when or where."

"I want you to think back," Blair's voice was low and hypnotic. "Concentrate. Follow the scent. Let it take you back."

"I felt it once before in the temple. He was a human, but not mortal. His name was... Methos." Jim shook off the memory and leaned into Blair's touch unconsciously. "That's what I'm sensing now, except this one is a woman. The other is... special. Male. British accent but different from the librarian's, less refined. Sounds more like he's Billy Idol." The sentinel sounded amused by this little tidbit.

*Spike. He was talking about his Spike,* Xander thought. *Wait a minute. HIS SPIKE! Argh. He had one lousy dream and already he was thinking the blond was his. Damn. Not good.*

"He is not what he appears. He was a vampire but now he is changing into something else. What, I do not know," Jim cautioned.

"I want you to let it go now, man. Come on, Big Guy, come back to me," The guide's voice coaxed.

As Xander watched, Jim seemed to draw something from his guide for a moment then withdrew into himself and become aware of everything surrounding him. Xander had never seen anything like it before in his life. There was an awkward silence for a few beats before the two in question breezed into the room.

Xander felt Spike's presence all the way down to his bones and he realized that Jim was right. Spike was changing. Xander tried desperately to reign in the feelings that were suddenly unleashed at the sight of the other man. The sentinel inside couldn't seem to make up its mind whether or not it wanted to feel, kiss, or kill Spike. If Xander had his way he'd do something to Spike all right, but it would require privacy and lots of baby oil. *Argh. NOT AGAIN! Brain, stop that!* His erection throbbed in time with a strange beat that Xander could sense within Spike. Oddly enough, however, the sentinel seemed to have made up its mind and was agreeing with Mr. Happy who was now making his jeans entirely too tight.

*Great. It is bad enough my hormones are on overdrive like all teenage boys. But now I have this sentinel thing fueling my sex drive as well. Perfect. What next? Spike as my guide?* The shiver that this thought caused ran down his spine and made him, if it was possible, harder. *Eeep.* It was part excitement and part something deeper that Xander was desperate to deny.

Looking at Spike again, he noticed a snow white wolf by his side. He realized that this animal was Spike's spirit guide and everything locked into place. Xander couldn't resist his sentinel's lust that slammed into him demanding that he claim his guide. He sniffed the air while looking over at the other sentinel; Xander was aware that Blair and Jim were as attracted to each other as he was to Spike. *Oh Shit! It can't be. Please not him. ANYONE BUT HIM.* But it was, and he knew it. There was no way around it. Spike was his guide. Looking back at Spike, their eyes locked and Xander knew without a doubt he was officially screwed.


Part 6: No More Drama

Library 9:00 p.m.

Spike stopped in his tracks and watched everyone stare at him and Jera as if they were from outer space. *Good the constable has prepped the room for the next stage in their little drama.* Because that is what this was all about. Spike had figured that if Xander had an example of what a guide could do for him, that it might light a fire under his wonderfully shaped arse into seeking out his own. *The sooner the better.* It was getting harder and harder to be around the whelp without fucking him senseless. *Pun intended.* Spike laughed at himself for being every kind of a bloody fool and stepped back a step. Putting on his best startled look upon his face, Spike rounded on Jim and began part two of their dance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh God!" Jera called out from behind him, looking at Jim. Spike knew she was turning pale with practiced ease and backing up, pulling him with her. "Run, William. RUN!"

"No." Spike whispered. "He won't touch us. Will you Sentinel." It was a statement not a question Spike issued.

"To be honest I haven't made up my mind yet." Jim replied stonily.

"Fair enough." Spike nodded.

Spike could feel Xander's eyes boring into him but he ignored it opting instead to play his role through. "Your here for Xander aren't you." again it was a statement not a question.

At Jim's nod, Spike continued. "Then it looks as if we're not needed here pet." he shot over his shoulder to his friend.

"I never thought you ever were, Spike." Buffy quipped up. "You think you can just -"

"SHUT UP, BUFFY." Xander yelled, startling everyone.

"Xander?" Blair called.

"WHAT?" Xander snapped at the guide. He knew it was the wrong thing to do the second he saw Jim tense up and glare at him.

Spike smelled arousal and some fear on the boy and knew he was in desperate need of privacy. Why Spike didn't know. He was sure that if he didn't get his Xanpet out of here that Jim would break Xander's nibble me please neck as if it were a twig, for yelling at his guide.

"Perhaps it would be a good time to patrol, don't you think Slayer?" Jera's smooth southern accent hinted.

"She is right. Your burnin' moonlight Slayer. Vamps to kill and all that. We'll be leavin' this bobble with the watcher and be on our jolly effin' way." The back of Spike's neck was being all prickly and itchy. Someone was here and he felt Jera stiffen beside him.

"He's here." she whispered unnecessarily in his ear.

Spike's nod was slight so that only Jera sensed it. He realized from the narrowing of Xander's eyes that he had heard as well. *Damn. Now what?* Spike thought. Him and Jera had to leave and he knew that Xander wasn't about to let them leave now. Jim however seemed to be on the same page. *Smug bastard. * he thought fondly.

"How long have you had that?" Jim nodded to the amulet in Spike's hand.

"Doesn't matter. Here Watcher, take it so we can go." Spike tossed the amulet to Giles and turned to leave.

Jim grabbed hold of his arm and growled. "This isn't over. I'll be seeing you again."

"Count on it, Sentinel." Spike growled back with his game face on.

Jim let go quickly as if he'd been scalded. The message however, was delivered. Jim truly wanted an answer about the amulet. Spike would tell him but out of hearing range of the others.

~~~~~~~~~

Xander felt pretty silly for tailing Spike and his friend but he needed to talk to Spike alone. He was sure if he had just a few moments with the blond that he would realize that he was just projecting his dream and hopes onto Spike. Then he could just clear his mind and find his real guide.

*But what if you get him alone and your instincts turn out to be right?* A stubborn little voice inside his head argued. * What if you find out without a doubt that he is your real guide? How are you going to deny it then? Hmm?*

"Just shut up. I'll figure it out later." he muttered to himself.

Feeling like every kind of fool but unable to stop himself, Xander tracked Spike. Honing in on his faint heart beat and locking on his scent, the young sentinel followed his prey.

~~~~~~~~~~

"We're being followed, pet." Spike murmured to Jera.

"I know, sugar. Your young pup and our cyber friend." Jera whispered out of the side of her mouth. "Should we split up or bring them together?"

"To soon to bring them together. You take the ol' bag o' bones to your place and I'll take care of Xanpet." the vampire answered.

"I'll just bet you will." chuckling at the cold stare she received from her friend she continued. "Meet me at the Durby's at the same time as the night before. We have answers that someone wishes to have." At Spike's nod, Jera veered left as he turned right. Both took off at a dead run to lead their followers into their tender traps.

~~~~~~~~~

Keeping up with Spike was getting harder and harder. If he hadn't been using his senses to track the other man he might not have been able to keep up with him thus far. Hell, he was lucky he was able to track him this long without his senses going off the charts.

Xander paused to orient himself and locate his prey's exact position. Spike was very close but hiding. Turning his head this way then that, the sentinel realized he was in the alleyway just behind Jera's Coffee and Book shop.

"Fancy a cup of coffee or are you going to hang out here in the alley all bleedin night?" Spike asked from behind the sentinel. Lighting up one of his cigarettes as he waited for the stunned man to recover. Surprised, Xander's senses went into overdrive as they snapped out of focus. The sensation was so overwhelming that Xander stumbled backwards as if he'd taken a physical blow to the head and stomach at the same time. Tripping, Xander fell against some garbage cans and
dumped them over on himself as he hit the ground. Senses reeling , his head spinning , Xander cried out. A hand touched his neck and the storm assaulting his nerve endings slowed.

"You okay, Xanpet?" Spike was asking.

Shivering and looking as if he were going to throw up, Xander moaned, "Smell. Oh god it smells bad. Burns. Gotta get it off."

Snubbing out his cigarette, Spike lifted the sentinel off the ground, figuring Xander was in no condition to perform the function of walking just yet. Carrying the younger man into Jera's shop through the back door, Spike tried not to enjoy holding the mortal too much. The awful smell of garbage helped but not much. Even covered in foul goo and smelling of week old food, Xander's scent called to the vampire. It stirred a memory from the past, one from his time as a human. It was dangerous and dark, this memory and Spike shoved it violently to the back of his mind.

Walking up the set of stairs to his right, Spike headed for his apartment on the third floor. Jera had forced him to take the place upon discovering he was changing for the second time in his immortal life. He knew she was as worried as he was at this change and she wanted to be by his side should he need her. It was her undying love for him as a brother figure that had kept Spike from losing all his humanity all those years ago and things hadn't changed in over one hundred years, at least not for them.

It was truly a pity that she couldn't find another immortal to love. Loving a human was asking for heart break. Once they died they took a part of you that you could never get back. After a while there would be nothing left of you but an empty hole with nothing to fill it and a heart too weary and worn to risk having it broken even one more time.

Even as he knew this to be so, Spike still understood why Jera had chosen to love the mortal lovers that she had in the past. He put Xander down on the toilet and turned toward the bath to get it started. He thought *Even a brief love is better than spending forever alone.* Turning back to Xander as the water splashed merrily in the tub, Spike began to strip the sentinel. Everywhere Xander's cloths and the garbage had made contact with the sentinel's skin Spike found welts and burns that looked ready to bleed. Xander, poor little nummy treat he was, had slipped into a zone out while being carried. Spike smoothed back the brunette's hair away from his face and removed the bits of food that clung there.

Smiling fondly at him, Spike fell in love with Xander all over again. Sighing and not knowing what else to do, Spike took the now naked man into his arms once more and lifted him off the toilet and into the warm clear water. Shutting off the water, the vampire walked to the pantry and extracted a washcloth and a bar of scented soap and shampoo. Spike smiled at the cocoanut aroma that wafted from the cleansing bar. It would do.

Kneeling down by the tub, Spike began talking to Xander softly as he the other man's hair. Hair lathered up to his satisfaction, Spike eased Xander back carefully into the water and rinsed his hair. Taking a plastic cup that was on the tubs edge the immortal filled it with water from the tap. Lifting Xander up slightly, Spike used it to rinse out the rest of the shampoo. It was then that the sentinel came out of his daze. Spike was so intent on what he was doing that he never noticed.

"I've been looking for answers ever since I discovered my change. At first I thought it might have been from some curse. Sort of like that one that ponce of a grand sire Peaches has with that bloody soul."

Spike was telling him. "Then I realized it had nothing to do with magic, well not that kind at least. Jera says its a magic of the old ones. Says it's from a period in existence when time wasn't time yet. I think she's nutters." Spike laughed softly.

Xander said nothing as Spike lifted him into a upright sitting position. He just watched and listened as the vampire bathed him and spoke of forgotten lands and even less remembered secrets that those lands once held. For the first time he heard what Spike was really saying and he was amazed that the bad boy he was use to was still there, but under it was the mind of a scholar. It wasn't just the fact that Spike had lived for over 100 years. It definitely wasn't that he was just smart or had a good memory. No, the man who spoke was one who's passion is and was knowledge. He spoke of things that Xander knew the blond hadn't talked about or even thought about in a long time. Even as he learned more about history from Spike in these moments than he ever had in his classes in school, his body was responding to the other man in a different way.

His manhood was hard and growing harder with every touch, with every caress Spike made with the wash cloth. Xander longed for it to be the other man's bare hand on him or better yet his entire body bare and blanketed over him.

"With all the other effin things going on Jera just decides it would be a great old time if she called on this guy who has been around for five thousand years. I mean don't get me wrong luv. I don't mind ask'in for help, but did she have to call that crazy git, Methos? How is he going to help me, I ask you?" Spike wound down his speech in a huff.

"Are you done?" Xander asked.

Startled, Spike dropped the soap bar in his hands and stared in shock.

"I'll take that as a yes." And with that Xander's mouth crashed into Spike's, kissing the stunned vampire and surprising him even more.

 

Part 7: Some Like It Hot

Spike's Apartment over Jera's Coffee Shop 8 p.m.:

"Are you done?" Xander asked.

Startled, Spike dropped the soap bar in his hands and stared in shock.

"I'll take that as a yes." And with that Xander's mouth crashed into Spike's, kissing the stunned vampire and surprising him even more. It only lasted for a moment before Spike responded and then Xander got more then he bargained for . All he wanted was a kiss, just for just a moment, to feel alive and connected.

Spike gave him the world in a split second , but didn't leave him wanting for more . Nope. Spike kissed him and crawled into the tub with him clothes and all. Xander ripped apart the blonde's shirt and stripped him of it faster than his own beating heart. His sentinel tasted him, nibbling and biting every inch as it was revealed craving more. In Spike's opinion if heaven wasn't a place on earth then it was only because it was to be found within Xander's arms, at least it was for him. The feelings he'd had for Dru and Cecily had felt like love but the vampire realized it had been nothing more then affection. What he felt in Xander's arms was the real thing. He didn't know how he knew only that he did and that he wanted more of it. Spike wanted the happily ever after. He wanted forever and he wanted it with Xander. Unfortunately, what he wanted he could never have, Spike knew this as surely as the moon rises and sets.

Shoving the sorrow that filled him into the deepest part of his soul to be mourned later, Spike took the love he had now. Spike knew they could at least have a life time... Xander's life time. He would love Xander so much the sentinel would not need nor want for anything else.

Slipping his hand down, Xander unfastened Spike's jeans and growled when his hand slid inside. Spike was commando. Heaven help him, but Xander's excitement shot through the roof and his need to be inside the other man's body tripled.

"Spike." the brunette whispered half pleading and half demanding.

Spike got the hint and helped remove his soaked black jeans and kicked off his doc martens while he was at it. He moaned as his naked body became flush with his mates. Xander now had him pinned to the back corner of the tub and was doing wicked things to his left ear lobe. All the while the young man was murmuring his need to be inside of Spike and all that he was going to do to him. Spike shivered.

Panting Spike countered. "Then slip inside, luv." While he opened his legs wide and wrapped them around Xander's hips.

"I think we had better move to the bed first or we'll drown." Xander groaned.

"Too far." Spike unhooked his legs and flipped them over to where he was now on top.

Xander was now pinned to the other side of the tub. "You'll keep us from drownin'."

Spike placed Xander's hands firmly on the edges of the tub then smiled evilly. Reaching behind him Spike lined up Xander's erection with his opening and sank down, slowly impaling himself on his lover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Durby's Dinner and Hotel 8:05 p.m. same day:

Jim walked into their room with the hopes that maybe that little blow up at the library and the discussion that ensued afterwards would grant him some time to unwind before Blair started asking him all the questions he knew the younger man had on his `Lets talk about this to death' list.

"We need to talk, Ellison!" Blair growled as he stalked through the door and slammed it behind him.

*I knew I couldn't be that lucky.* Jim sighed. He knew he was in big trouble from the way Blair had used his last name instead of his first. *Great what did I do now?*

"Yeah, I guess we do." Jim said calmly as he sat down on his bed and kicked off his shoes. *Might as well get comfortable.*

Blair stopped and stared at the sentinel and ground out. "You guess? YOU GUESS? Why didn't you tell me you saw my spirit guide first and that he led you to me? How could you ..."

Jim held up his hand and said. "One question at a time Chief." Stretching out on the bed and placing a pillow behind his head, Jim answered. "The reason I didn't tell you about the wolf was because at the time I had thought it was just another one of the hallucinations I'd been having and I wasn't really sure what I was seeing. I only saw it for a moment and it was standing on the counter and howling. When I saw it disappear and went to see for myself that it was really gone, I noticed your card was on the counter where the wolf had been. I took a chance and went to see you. Remember, I didn't know you back then from Adam. You know I have trust issues." Jim closed his eyes and continued. "Besides once we started working on the Switchman case, I just forgot. I've only seen your spirit guide a few times, Sandburg, and all of them I can count on just one hand and have fingers left."

Seeming to be pacified with his answer, Blair asked "So besides the first time how many times HAVE you seen the wolf?"

Squeezing his eyes shut, Jim replied brokenly, his nerves shot after everything that had happened that day and lack of sleep. "Twice more after that I think, but don't ask me to tell you about it. I don't want to relive that again."

Rolling off the bed Jim headed for the bathroom. "I'll be back." That said he closed the door and shut himself effectively away from Blair.

Blair was no fool. He didn't need Sentinel senses to know what Jim was doing in the bathroom. Jim was doing what he always did when things got uncomfortable during their talks, shut him out. They had been through so much together but Jim still kept him on the outside looking in. After meeting Jim's father, Blair understood where it came from but it didn't make it any easier to take. He had thought after what had happened with Alex, that maybe things would get better. For a while they had, now Jim seemed to be slipping back into old habits.

Sighing Blair flopped down on his own bed and stared at the bathroom door. *You can't hide forever.* Then it dawned on him. *Two other times? Shit! The dream of Jim killing me and the fountain.* Bolting up and off the bed Blair moved to the door and knocked.

"I'll be out in a sec." Jim called through the door.

"Jim, I'm sorry, man. I forgot about the other times and well I didn't mean to upset you." Blair leaned his head against the door and placed his palm to its surface.

"It's just still a sore spot right now, Blair. I'm a big boy. I'll get over it." Jim, leaning against the door, turned and placed his palm to the door just where the other man had his on the other side. He had heard Blair's hand as it had made contact with the door. *So close, yet, so far away.* Blair thought. "Does it make it easier to talk to me when we are like this? You on the inside and me out here?" he whispered.

"Sometimes." Jim whispered back. "I can't let anyone see, Blair."

"See what?" Blair's lips brushed the wooden surface.

Softly Jim said. "Me. You wouldn't like it, Blair. Everyone who ever saw inside, who really sees me, they leave. They are disgusted by it; Mom, Dad, Caroline, everyone. I nearly lost you once. Won't lose you now. I can't. It would be kinder just to kill me now if you leave."

Blair whispered back."I'm not everyone else, Jim. I'm your guide. You should know by now that unless you kick me out, if you force me to go, I will but not far. I'm not going anywhere. Not leaving you. You won't lose me." Blair chuckled pushing his body closer to the door."No matter how hard you try."

Jim's nostrils flared. His other hand slid down and he rubbed himself through his jeans. "I know but you don't know. There is something I've been keeping from you." Hesitant but to weary to hide it any longer. "I've been having dreams, Blair. They won't go away. I can't forget them." The last was moaned as he squeezed his erection just a little.

"Jim? These dreams, did they involve me?" Blair's heartbeat sped up. *Could he have been having them too?* he asked himself.

"Y-y-yes." Jim panted as he unbuttoned his pants and unzipped them. Shoving his hand inside, he stroked himself from base to head and back again. Pressing his other hand that was on the door harder against the wood grain as he did so, as if he could somehow touch Blair by doing so.

"In these dreams, were you in them too?" Blair panted as he listened to what Jim was trying to hide behind the door. "Were we together?"

"Yes." Whimpered the sentinel, stroking himself slowly but firmly. Was it his imagination or was that Blair's arousal he smelled on the other side. Surely Blair wasn't as turned on as he was by all of this.

"And were we - naked? Were we making love, Jim?" Blair unfastened his faded blue jeans.

"OH GOD!" Jim moaned loudly. His legs buckled. Just hearing it from Blair's lips almost sent him over the edge.

"Well?" purred Blair.

"Yes, damn you. YES!" Jim crawled away from the door and into the corner. Blair was teasing him and right then Jim wanted to hide.

Blair heard Jim move away from the door and smiled evilly. Removing his flannel shirt and t- shirt, Blair licked his lips before saying. "Then maybe its time you let me in."

Jim's head snapped around to stare in shock at the door. *Surely he didn't mean, what I think he means.* Standing up and leaning against the wall he forgot his state of undress. "Oh? Door's not locked." *Oh now that's smooth Ellison. NOT!*

The door opened and Jim's heart leapt up to his throat. Blair stood in the door way shirtless, pants undone and backlit by the street lights from the hotel room window. Swallowing hard he said nothing as Blair stalked into the room with the grace of a wolf on the hunt. Jim held his breath as his guide's hand skimmed up his side and captured Jim's mouth with his own.

Blair couldn't believe he was being this forward. Had someone told him he'd have Jim Ellison with both of his wrists pinned on either side of the sentinel's head while he was having his way with him, he'd have asked what the hell they were on and why weren't they sharing? But now with Jim panting as he was grinding his pelvis against the older man's he could only moan as Jim ground back.

Blair took his time stripping Jim and himself. He'd been waiting to get this close to Jim for so long that he wanted to savor every second of it. Tongue laving leisurely at his lover's skin Blair showed Jim that letting him inside for once could be good. Oh so good.

Jim groaned as Blair slid him down to the floor. The cool tile on his back was a major contrast to the inferno that was consuming his body. Jim was vaguely aware of Blair fumbling for something on the rim of the tub. He was too wrapped up in the feel of skin against skin to care until he realized what it was that Blair was after. The scent of the hotel's complimentary bath gel filled the air and Jim chuckled at Blair's inventiveness.

Slick fingers teased his opening and his laughter died away to be replaced with a whimper. Jim wasn't too proud to beg if he really wanted something and he really wanted Blair to hurry up.

"Blair, please! Need. So much." Jim couldn't seem to get his brain to function correctly but it seemed to work enough for him to get his point across.

Blair maneuvered his finger into Jim and began to shallowly thrust it within his lover. The younger man began to suck and bite Jim's right nipple. Groaning beneath him was a man known for his ability to resist anything. Blair was enthralled by the fact Jim hadn't been able to resist him. Adding another finger to stretch him more, Blair soothed his lover with a kiss.

When he had four fingers inside and Jim was babbling his need Blair removed his hand and prepared his cock with shower gel. Jim spread his legs just a bit wider, trying to entice him to hurry. Smiling, Blair pushed in only as far as the head and stopped. Jim growled menacingly, letting his needs be known as well as his impatience. Blair's thrusts were fast and hard as he complied with Jim's wishes. He held still as Jim adjusted to the sudden invasion.

Lacing his fingers with Blair's, Jim held on tight as Blair began to move within him. Blair's oh so slow thrusts were driving him insane and from the looks of it his lover wasn't going to be persuaded into speeding up before he was damn good and ready. Not that Jim was really complaining, mind you , far from it. Jim wanted it to last forever. In every dream he'd had, Blair had been the one on top, the one to take control. His dreams didn't do Blair justice as a lover though.

Sweat covered every inch of skin as their bodies drifted into a rhythm older than man. Hands clasping and releasing but never letting go. Moans and pleasured cries filled the air. Still the thrusts were slow but now they were deep.

Jim was begging in a language Blair had heard only once and yet understood. Trembling Blair tried to hold back as long as he could but Jim tightened hard against him and his control broke. Howling Blair pounded into the tight passage with everything he had as Jim bucked up to meet him every step of the way.

Their climaxes were swift, hard and beyond any they had before. They stayed that way, intertwined, shivering, loving, and complete at last. As they drifted off to sleep on the tiled floor both whispered their love for the other in the shadows. Blair's softened manhood remained inside of Jim as they slept.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither couple would realize just what kind of bond they'd truly formed that night until later but it was felt through the night like a whisper in the wind. For one man, however, it was the driving force behind his rage that night as he slaughtered one innocent after another, some human and some not.

 

Part 8: Getting Down To Business


Neither couple would realize just what kind of bond they'd truly formed that night until later but it was felt through the night like a whisper in the wind. For one man, however, it was the driving force behind his rage that night as he slaughtered one innocent after another, some human and some not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Claude J. Exeter Memorial Park 10 p.m. :

It was in the air, that feeling he got just before the memories besieged him and his senses pummeled him.

"NO!" he whispered fervently, pleading with what ever gods might be listening. It had to stop. This couldn't go on forever, surely he would go mad from all this. He couldn't take it anymore. Screaming, crying, yelling and it wasn't enough, not anymore. He would do anything just to make it all vanish.

His skin was on fire, his head ringing with the pain of all the sounds swamping his ears, and the foul stench entrenched within his nostrils; a vicious mix of all that surrounded him. His eyes watered, burning, the lights were everywhere. He sensed the wind coming for him, whispering to him, and it was driving him berserk!

They were laughing at him; the wind, the sky, the earth, and even the night. *They were all laughing at him!* He'd show them though. *NO ONE LAUGHS AT ME! NO ONE!*

The laughter filled his head drowning out everything else. It fueled his hate, his anger. He would kill them. *KILL THEM ALL!!!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Claude J. Exeter Memorial Park 3 a.m. :

*Blood and entrails and flesh. OH MY! Blood and entrails and flesh. OH MY!* he thought snickering. This was actually becoming fun once the pain went away. Usually he didn't like this sort of thing. *Guess after a few weeks it kind of grows on you.* He thought to himself hysterically.

*NO! It isn't right. This is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. WRONG!* another voice inside his head was yelling. A voice that sounded suspiciously like his ex-lover.

*I have to stop. He'll never want me if he catches me doing this.* his conscious whispered.

*FOOL! He didn't want you before either. How could this make it worse? Hmm?* the hysterical voice asked.

*I've changed. That's why I'm back. To show him I've changed. The contract I took was for the PTB. I'm not working in the same way as before. I'm good now.* he argued back.

Hysterical laughter. *You sound like a whipped little puppy.* The voice said. *Well don't look now choirboy but if you call this good, I'd hate to see what you deem as bad.*

He looked at the mass carnage he'd caused and shivered.

*Face it your just going to have to balance this out.* Cackled the hysterical voice. *Time to write another letter to the police, deary!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Durby's Dinner and Hotel 10 a.m.:

Moaning, Jim tried to move but he couldn't manage it. He knew he was going to be sore all over and it wasn't just because he'd slept on the cold tile floor of the bathroom last night. Nope, his curly haired guide was responsible for this and he was going to take care of it. Jim didn't want to move just yet though. Nu uh, he was enjoying just watching Blair sleep. It wasn't everyday he awoke to his partner lying on top of him sound asleep and totally debauched.

He was still inside. Jim couldn't get over that little bit of information. Ok not so little. Hell Blair was large for a man his size. That didn't mean Blair was eighteen inches and seven inches wide like a lot of those stupid slash fiction stories he'd seen posted online. *Hell that isn't a dick that's a fucking flagpole!* Jim thought.

Jim had started to read slash fiction when his dreams of him and Blair first occurred. The more he'd read the more he'd blushed. It was his damnable curiosity had gotten him to start surfing. He hated computers and didn't want to hit a bunch of porn sites but it was better than having the stuff lying around for someone to find. The pictures were, well they didn't do anything for him and even just reading what he had wasn't nearly as graphic as his dreams had been. Still it did give him the low down on things. He'd heard stuff while working in Vice and the ARMY, so he understood how sex between males could happen with some kind of prep work. Still it was another ballpark entirely to hear or read about it and actually doing it.

Blair stirred and mumbled something Jim couldn't understand. He could however, feel Blair growing hard inside of him. Blair's teeth latched on to his left nipple and tugged just enough to pull a moan from Jim's throat. Blair nibbled his way up from the chest blow him and worked his way up to the shoulder were he bit down hard enough to draw blood.

Pain shot through him swiftly followed by a primal urge to purr. He was marked now. His Guide Had Marked HIM! The sentinel and modern man merged into one being and one mind. Jim could see himself through the sentinel's eyes and vice versa. Grinning, Jim decided it was time to make sure no one else could ever try to clam his guide again.

Kissing Jim's lips with his own blood stained lips, was more erotic then any of his other dreams. This was some really kinky shit and he hadn't known he could be turned on by it. Blair smiled down at his dream lover and was amazed at how real this Jim looked. Jim nuzzled him hinting to his mate to pull back his hair and expose his neck. Blair did it without hesitation.

It was when Jim's teeth sank into his flesh that he realized it wasn't a dream. This was really happening and damned if he didn't howl and cum when bitten. Panting while his mind tried to catch up, Blair's body hummed with energy. Guide and anthropologist united and formed one entity. He could never remember being so clear and attuned to Jim before. It was like someone had switched on a knowledge in him he'd had all this time, but had somehow forgotten. It was
incredible.

"Bed. Now." Jim growled.

Smirking Blair pulled out and helped the older man up. Cleaning themselves up first, they headed for the closest bed. They pulled back the sheets and settled down for a little more play. Jim was exploring his mate's navel when his cell phone went off.

Growling at the cell phone, Jim flipped it open and answered, "This is Ellison. I'm in the middle of something important. So unless someone has died call back later!"

"As a matter of fact detective, someone has." said the voice on the other line.

" Who is this?" Jim asked as he sat up.

"This is Captain Marcus Sanchez of the 53 rd precinct, Captain Banks' friend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~TBC~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this part is short, but I ended this here for a reason. I promise that the next part will be longer and as usual feedback is welcomed with open arms for praise and marshmallows for flames. So, TA for now pets.


END PART 8