Druggie Blair

By Dar Hutson Scally (Chopecdar)

June 20, 2000

 

I had just finished putting the last of my work into my backpack when there was a knock on my office door. It was at least ten minutes past my posted office hours, so of course I figured it was a student. There always seems to be one student who can't be on time for anything, always running late. My problem is that I used to be that student, so I can too easily relate and therefore I always let them get away with it and eat into my personal time. So, I quickly opened the door, resolving to myself to make it quick. Jim was cooking tonight, grilling steaks, and being in a self-indulgent mood, I didn't want to be late.

Opening the door seemed like popping a cork on a just shaken bottle of champagne. My office was suddenly full, crammed full, not surprisingly, being the converted storage room that it was. I looked around and discovered that I was completely surrounded by what appeared to be the entire soccer team. I didn't like the expressions on their faces, all full of determination, maybe a little bit of anger, and several of them looked so nervous they could pee their pants any second. I could feel my own nerves tensing up in response and decided I'd better take control of this situation before something bad happened. I usually recognize bad and this looked a lot like it. So, I pasted a nice smile on my face and backing casually up against my desk, looked directly at Fred Taylor, who I knew to be Captain of the team.

"So, what can I do for you Fred?" I asked in a firm teacher voice.

Fred smiled, not a nice friendly smile, more like the cartoon character smile of the wolf who has just broken into the hen house and has managed to grab a chicken.

"Well, Mr. Sandburg, we came to give you a chance to correct a mistake you made yesterday. You know, the one where you gave me and Billy D's instead of the C's we deserve." Fred voice dripped with menace.

The thought momentarily went through my head that I should pretend to agree to change the grades, just long enough to get them out of my office. I didn't know what they had planned, but I was quite sure I wasn't going to like it.

I took a deep breath and smiled. "If you really want me to give the grades you deserve, I'd have to change those D's to F's. I was already being generous and you both know it. I gave you both multiple opportunities to do extra work to bring up those grades, but you didn't make any effort at all."

"You know we can't get anything less than a C if we want to stay on the team." Billy whined from behind Fred.

"And you should have been responsible enough to work at keeping your grades up. I

have two days before I have to turn in the official grades. I'm willing to give you both one more chance. You do that last extra credit report I gave you both last week, and manage to get at least a B on it, and that will bring your grades up to C's."

For a moment there, I thought I had them. But whatever they had planned, I guess sounded like too much fun, cause within a minute I could see Fred's face harden and I knew a decision had been made, and it wasn't one I was going to like. I didn't know what they had planned but I was sure I wasn't going to like it.

"That's not good enough." Fred said, laughing. "You're going to wish you had just fixed the grades for us."

With a nod from Fred, I suddenly found my arms pulled behind my back and a beefy hand wrapped around my mouth. Then I was being hustled out my office door. There were enough of them that they were able to completely surround me and the two guys holding me, so even if anyone happened to be walking around campus, they wouldn't see me. I went along meekly until we were outside, figuring my best chance was to pull away and run. I doubted they'd chase me for long. Somebody would be bound to see. So, all I had to do was get away long enough to take off running.

Once out of the building, they turned toward the gym building. I waited for a moment when the hands holding my wrists didn't seem quite as tight as they were. The big hand around my mouth had loosened up a little bit too, so I bit into a finger just as I twisted and ducked, pulling my arms free. But before I could slip between them to start running, I felt the weight of the earth land on me, knocking the air right out of me. I couldn't move at all, couldn't even take a breath; the weight was so heavy on me. I could feel the darkness encroaching and knew I was about to pass out. Somewhere far away, I heard a voice. It sounded like Fred, but it was like it was coming from the other end of a tunnel.

"All right, get off of him. We don't want to kill him."

Then gradually, bit-by-bit, the weight on me was peeled away and I realized I must have been at the bottom of a mass tackle. Somewhere in my mind I heard myself laugh over the fact that these were supposed to be soccer players, not football players. It's strange what will seem funny in times of stress. Maybe the lack of oxygen was making me silly. I don't know, but for a few moments there, I had lost my connection to what was happening and didn't even think to struggle when I suddenly found myself lying free

on the ground. It didn't last long enough. Just as I was coming back to awareness and realizing I needed to get away, I felt my hands pulled together again behind my back and something biting into my wrists as it was pulled tight. It must have been a thin string or twine and it was way too tight. I could feel it cutting into me.

Next thing I knew I was being hustled up and moved along. Now I couldn't even see where we were going, they had me so closely surrounded. It took me a few minutes to realize that my mouth was free. I guess the big beefy hand didn't want to get bitten again. I was surprised they hadn't thought to gag me. But I guess my reaction time was a bit slow from the oxygen deprivation or something, cause before I could send the signal from my brain to my mouth to start yelling, I was being pushed inside some small room.

They sat me gently down on the floor. There was something wet under me and I realized I smelled oil or gasoline. It was dark but I figured from the smell and size of the room, that we were in an equipment shed of some kind, maybe where they stored the lawn tractors. I heard a match and looking toward the sound, saw that a lantern had just been lit and was hanging from a hook in the ceiling. Looking around, I saw all kinds of gardening implements hanging on the walls, and there was indeed a lawn tractor sitting in the middle of the room, and another one partially taken apart next to it.

I looked around me and saw that some of the boys were laughing, I guess in anticipation of whatever they were getting ready to do to me. Not very comforting. Then I noticed Patrick Davis standing by the door. I guess he was the lookout, but he didn't look too happy. He actually looked rather nervous, maybe afraid, maybe even a little guilty. Maybe he didn't want to do this. Maybe he had been intimidated by the rest of the group. Maybe he was the weak link in the chain and he would help me if the opportunity came up. I made eye contact with him and gave him my best pleading look. He looked like he was going to cry, then abruptly turned away.

"Okay, let's get to it." Fred said.


PART 2

A backpack appeared on the seat of the lawn tractor and Fred opened it and started pulling things out. It took me a minute to realize what the main object of their attention was. It was a clear glass tube, about ten inches long and two to three inches wide.

It wasn't until I saw what was obviously a pipe bowl jutting out about a third of the way from one end that I realized I was looking at a bong of some type. I had never been much in to smoking pot, although a few of Naomi's friends had been heavy smokers. I tried it a few times but never really liked the feeling of loosing control of myself. I guess that's why I don't like to get drunk either.

My wrists were getting numb behind me and I tried to move a little to ease the pressure on them but I guess one of them must have thought I was trying to make a move, cause the next thing I knew I had gotten a boot in the side and was gasping for breath again. Man, these guys were really starting to piss me off. I suddenly realized I had a mouth and I wasn't using it. Silly me. One of my best defenses and I was sitting here wasting it.

"Hey, guys, you want to tell me what you're doing?"

"Sure thing, Mr. Sandburg. We're just letting you party with us." Billy answered in a cheerful, laughing voice. "You like to party, don't you?"

"Actually, no, I don't." I said. "I kind of have an allergy to pot smoke. Last time I tried it, I was in the hospital for a week, almost died." I said, patting myself on the back for my quick thinking. These guys didn't want to kill anybody. I was sure of that. Maybe if they were convinced they could kill me, they'd give up this idea.

"Bull shit!" Fred said, laughing at me. "You're a pot smoker if I ever saw one and don't give us any bull shit stories about allergies. There's no such thing as an allergy to pot smoke. We know you don't smoke now, but that's cause you're a teacher and you live with a cop. You could get caught too easy and lose your job, and who knows, your cop roommate might even lock your ass up. So, we're going to let you forget all of that tonight and get stoned."

I resolved at that moment not to inhale anything. They could put the pipe up to my mouth but they couldn't make me inhale the smoke.

I was wrong.

"Just relax and enjoy it, Mr. Sandburg. You'll be feeling great soon." Billy said, kneeling down beside me.

Then Fred knelt down on the other side and from behind me someone, the guy with the big hands, I could tell cause as he grabbed my head I saw the bloody bite mark on his finger, held my head still. I tried to duck my head down, figuring to diminish the target, but the guy with big hands was pretty strong. I felt like my head was held in a vice.

"Just relax and accept it, man. You know it feels good." Fred said, pulling at my chin.

"Now open up like a good boy."

I clamped my mouth shut as hard as I could, feeling my jaw muscles tense, briefly wondering if my mouth looked like Jim's does when he clenches his jaw during moments of stress.

Another boy had gotten the bong ready and was lighting it, sucking smoke through the glass tube.

"All right, enough, don't hog it." Fred yelled. "Bring it over here."

The boy, I think his name is Todd, came over and held the end of the bong up to my mouth. I stubbornly refused to breath it in, but then I found Fred's hand over my eyes and his thumb and finger pinching my nose shut. I could only hold my breath so long, and then I had to open my mouth. Gasping for air, my lungs filled up with smoke and I coughed and choked, but I felt it almost right away, that feeling of being buzzed. In the back of my mind, I acknowledged that this must be pretty good pot for it to hit me so quickly. Either that, or it's just cause I'm not used to it, having only smoked pot two or three times in my life and that being at least fifteen years ago.

They wouldn't let me breathe. The guy on the other end of the bong kept blowing in so that I was getting the smoke forced into my mouth, constantly choking on it, but at some point I realized I was no longer resisting, not that I was enjoying it or anything. I just couldn't really connect with the idea that I needed to get away. I was kind of just sitting there, unconnected with what was going on, and feeling kind of like my body was a limp noodle. I don't know how many times they refilled the bong but I know they passed it around a few times so some of them were getting a bit stoned too.

The voices were far away and I didn't really care what they were saying, but I could still hear them. My point of view changed at some point, cause I was seeing everything sideways, and I didn't feel anyone holding me anymore. The smoke had stopped coming too but I didn't even know if I was breathing, much less if it was clean air.

"We gave him too much. It's not going to work." Billy said.

"Mr. Sandburg, hey, Wake up." Fred's voice called. "Yeah, you're right. He's never going to be able to drive like this. We'll have to change the plan a little."

"What are we going to do? He has to be seen like this. He has to get in trouble." Billy whined.

"Don't worry. He'll get in trouble, maybe even locked up." Fred said.

"What are we going to do?" Billy asked.

"We're just going to give him a ride home, that's all." Fred said.

PART 3

I had called his cell phone and his office phone and didn't get an answer. He knew I was grilling steaks tonight and he was at least four hours late. I looked at the clock again.

It was almost midnight. He was supposed to be home by 7:00. I had been irritated when he didn't show up so I went ahead and ate my dinner and saved his plate in the refrigerator. I figured he had gotten tied up flirting with some beautiful teaching assistant on campus and forgotten all about our planned dinner. We all know he can't resist a pretty face, so I wasn't too offended at first that he'd blown off our dinner plans. But then it got later and later and I still didn't hear from him. He hadn't been living with me too long yet, only a few weeks, but in that time he had always been considerate about calling me when his plans changed, letting me know when he wasn't going to be home when I was expecting him. He might get sidetracked a little bit here and there but he'd always remember to call before too long.

I was just getting ready to go out and look for him. I mean he did seem to get in trouble pretty easily, so maybe he needed my help. So, I was just about to walk out the door, when a smell hit me. It was almost overwhelming at first, but I was able to dial it down, thanks to Sandburg's lessons. Once I got it under control, I realized it was the odor of stale pot smoke. It had been awhile since I smelled it. We don't come in contact with too many pot smokers in Major Crimes, usually going after bigger fish, more serious crimes than a little pot smoking or dealing.

So, why was I smelling pot smoke coming from the hallway outside my own home?

Surely, everyone in the building knew a cop lived here and wouldn't be flaunting an illegal activity right under my nose. I listened, trying to determine who was out there, not really wanting to have to lock up one of my neighbors, figuring I'd let them get into their apartment before I walked out into the hall. So, I listened. Nobody was out there, but I could hear the elevator coming up and the closer it got, the stronger the smell was getting.

Then I listened harder, tuning my ears into the sound of the elevator squeaking its way to a stop. The single heartbeat stepping slowly out into the hallway, the single heartbeat that was so familiar to me, the single heartbeat that I had been listening to, often falling asleep to for the past few weeks. I backed away from the door, trying to absorb this surprise.

Blair Sandburg, a pot smoker? I was sure, in the time I'd known him that Blair had never smoked pot. But that didn't mean he never did. I hadn't known him all that long. Maybe he had just been controlling himself up until now.

Maybe breaking up with Lisa the other day had him depressed and his reaction to depression was to smoke pot like some people, including himself, would get drunk. But getting drunk was legal, as long as you didn't drive. Smoking pot was illegal, and smoking pot and then coming home to your cop roommate was stupid. Blair Sandburg wasn't stupid.

The door opened and Sandburg stumbled in, catching himself from falling by grabbing onto the kitchen counter. He didn't see me at first, standing by the coat rack waiting to be noticed. I watched him quietly to see what he would do, expecting him to look for me, maybe to be worried that I'd catch him in this condition, but he seemed to have forgotten that I existed, at least for the moment. He seemed to be in a single minded pursuit of food, yanking the refrigerator door open, then slamming it shut, only to grab a box of crackers off the counter, rip them open and start shoving them into his mouth.

I stepped up behind him and touched his shoulder, still undecided about what my reaction to this was going to be. I wanted to yell, I wanted to throw him up against the wall and demand to know how he dared to do something like this. At the same time, I couldn't make myself believe that this was really happening. The Blair Sandburg I knew just wouldn't use drugs of any kind, not pot and not anything else. Had I misjudged him entirely?

The touch of my hand made him pull away and turn to look at me. His eyes were red and glassy looking and after just a glance up at me, his entire attention went back to the crackers he was jamming into his mouth, crumbs falling down around him in his haste to eat them as fast as he could.

Suddenly, I felt angry. Not only was he betraying me by showing up here stoned and reeking of pot smoke, he was ignoring me, as if he didn't care what my reaction was.

He should be cowering in fear, pleading with me to go easy on him. Did he expect me to just look the other way and not say anything?

I grabbed the crackers and threw them back onto the counter. He ignored me and reached to get the crackers. The feelings of anger and betrayal welled up in me and I grabbed him by the shoulders and pushed him across the room. He landed on his back on the floor behind the couch. As I crossed over to him, he was trying to push himself up. I yanked him up by his jacket and stood him on his feet in front of me.

"Sandburg, what is going on here?" I yelled in my most demanding, intimidating voice.

"I'm hungry. Let me go!" He yelled back, pulling away, trying to get back to the crackers.

"No." I yelled, grabbing him again by the collar of his jacket and shoving him against the wall.

He struggled, trying to get loose, then gave up and relaxed against the wall, first giggling, then crying, real tears streaming down his face. I just held him there and looked at him, waiting for some kind of explanation to flow from that eloquent mind of his. Right from the start I had gotten the impression that his ability to talk himself out of any situation was his strongest asset. He was disappointing me. Apparently he wasn't good for much more than incoherent babbling when he was stoned.

I yanked him away from the wall and threw him back again trying to get his attention.

"What is with you?" I demanded. "How could you do this?"

The tears flowed down his face and he looked at me, staring into my soul.

"Jim, please, I didn't do it. They made me." He cried.

PART 4

I let go of him and he slid down the wall onto the floor, looking up at me with tear filled eyes. Some feeling in the back of my mind was telling me to be careful here, to trust him, maybe to trust my own instincts, which told me that Blair Sandburg was not a pot smoker and was not a stupid man. In the few months I had known him I had come to trust him. Was that all going out the window now?

I decided the best thing to do was to put him to bed and let him sleep it off. Maybe I'd get my answers in the morning. Maybe I'd lose my partner and best friend in the morning, but I had to hope there was some explanation for this. Maybe I would even accept an intense apology and a promise that it would never happen again. Maybe for him, I could ignore the technicality of the law for a moment, just this one time.

I reached my hands down to help him up. "Come on Chief, I'll help you to bed."

He put his arms up blocking his face, as if he thought I was going to hit him. The sleeves of his jacket slid down his arms. That was when I saw his wrists. They were torn up and covered in dried blood, stuck to his shirtsleeves in places. Someone had tied his wrists together. Someone had hurt him and now I was realizing this was apparently someone's attempt to get him in trouble, to discredit him, maybe to turn me against him.

It seemed like it took me forever to get from the elevator to the door and then at least ten minutes to get the key in the door and get it to open. Then I almost fell walking through the door, but caught myself on the kitchen counter. Perfect place, since I was headed into the kitchen first thing anyway. All I could think about was how hungry I was. I felt like I hadn't eaten in a week. I checked out the refrigerator but nothing looked good. I saw a box of crackers on the counter, just plain oyster crackers. There was always a box of them around. Jim liked to put them in his soup and chili. Jim. I remembered Jim just as I was shoving the second handful of crackers into my mouth. But it was a fleeting thought. The crackers demanded my attention.

Next thing I knew there was a hand on my shoulder, then the crackers disappeared right out of my hands, and before I could get to them again, I was suddenly on the floor. I had no idea how I had gotten there and at first it seemed funny, but then I realized Jim was there and it occurred to me that I had come home stoned and smelling like a walking bong and my roommate was a cop, sworn to lock up people who smoke pot. I wondered briefly if I'd be seeing the inside of a jail cell tonight. That would really top off my day, but even worse I suddenly realized that he might kick me out, not only out of his home, but out of his life, and I couldn't help myself. That thought made my eyes start leaking and before I knew it I had gone from a feeble giggle to full fledged crying and I couldn't stop.

I looked at Jim and thought about how short this great friendship had been. I had wanted it to last forever. And of course, there went my dissertation subject. But, it surprised me for a second when I realized that wasn't what was making me so sad. I just didn't want to lose Jim. I didn't want him to hate me. He was already the best friend I had ever had and I didn't want to lose him.

He threw me against the wall and I knew he was angry but he also looked puzzled like he was trying to figure something out. He was talking to me but I was too upset to even hear what he was saying. Then he pulled me away from the wall and shoved me back again, still looking at me like he was waiting for some great revelation. Somewhere along the way I had lost the connection between my brain and my mouth. I think I said something but I'm not even sure. But then I found myself sliding down the wall and landing on the floor. I guess he let me go. I looked up, trying to blink the tears out of my eyes, and looked at him. He said something and I heard him call me Chief, and at that moment I thought it must be okay. He wouldn't be calling me Chief if he hated me. But then the next moment I saw his hands reaching down toward me and I thought he was going to pick me up by my collar again and throw me against the wall, so I put my arms up in front of me, trying to keep him from grabbing me.

The next thing I knew, my jacket was being pulled off, and then my shirt, and I was sitting there in my jeans and t-shirt. I looked at my wrists then, cause I suddenly noticed they were really sore, and no wonder, they were all torn up and bloody.

Jim had disappeared, but then he came back, kneeling down in front of me, sitting a bowl of water on the floor beside him. He pulled a rag out of the bowl and wrung it out, then took my hand and held onto it while he cleaned off my wrist with the warm wet rag. It hurt a little but it also felt good that he was taking care of me. I looked up at him and saw the worried look in his eyes.

He really cared about me. I could see it and it made me want to cry again, not from feeling bad but from feeling good. It's nice to be cared for and I knew from watching him take care of me that he was going to believe me when I told him what had happened.

I sat there quietly, tears running down my face as he cleaned and bandaged my wrists, and then started wiping my face and a new flood of tears fell from my eyes. I tried not to cry. I was sure a guy like Jim wouldn't cry in this situation. I just hoped he didn't think I was a big wimp. I had always cried too easily, I guess from being raised by Naomi, always being told to go with my feelings.

"I didn't do it. They made me do it. They blew smoke down my throat. It hurt. I kept choking on it, but they wouldn't let me breathe. They wanted to put me in my car and make me get locked up. I heard them talking. They got mad when I got too stoned and they knew I couldn't drive." My voice was hoarse and raspy but at least I had found it again and could explain.

"Who were they, Chief? Did you know them?" Jim asked.

"Students." I answered. "Jim, are you mad at me? Please don't be mad at me. I didn't want to do it. I told them I was allergic to pot but they laughed and didn't believe me. I told them it would kill me but they forced it on me anyway."

"It's okay, Chief. Let's get you to bed. You'll feel better in the morning." Jim said. I tried to help when he lifted me up but I was feeling kind of like a wet noodle again. Before I knew it, I was being tucked into bed. For a minute there I thought I was about to get a goodnight kiss and I started giggling.

Why I can't giggle without it turning to tears I don't know, but the next thing I knew I was crying away and Jim pulled me up and hugged me. It felt so good, so comforting. I hugged him back and I had to force myself to let go when he laid me back down on my bed. He covered me up and got up, heading for the door.

"Don't worry, Chief. We'll figure this all out in the morning. I know you're not responsible here. It's okay."

I closed my eyes, feeling relieved. Jim believed me. He still trusted me and he wasn't throwing me out. All was right with my world. If Jim said it would be okay, it would be okay.

And it was, until the dreams started.

PART 5

I took care of his wrists. They were obviously wounds left from being tied up. As soon as I saw them I knew that this was all some kind of scheme to get him in trouble. Maybe they thought I would throw him out or even lock him up.

When he started telling me about what happened, I felt only relief that they hadn't been able to stick with their original plan. If they had put him in his car, he could very easily have had an accident, been hurt or killed, maybe even taken somebody with him. Even if he had only gotten pulled over, he would have gotten locked up. His observer's pass would have been revoked. No potheads allowed in the station unless on the way to a holding cell.

We'd get this all sorted out in the morning. I'd find out who was responsible and I swore to myself, someone would be locked up for this before the next sundown. Nobody manipulates me into turning against my friends, particularly this friend.

I went up to bed, setting my alarm to wake me early in the morning. I wanted to make sure I was up before Blair in case he needed me. I had never smoked pot before, but I figured if you got that wasted on something, there had to be some price to pay in the morning. He probably wasn't going to be feeling all that great.

I stumbled into the loft and was immediately thrown across the room. When I got to my feet and looked around, I saw that it was Jim. He was standing there, glaring at me.

He took a step toward me and pulled out his handcuffs.

"You know I have to lock you up, Sandburg." He said angrily. "You should know

better than to get stoned. I let you live with me and you have the nerve to come home like this. What have you been doing, selling the stuff?"

"No Jim, I would never do that!" I yelled. "I don't even smoke pot."

He grabbed my arm and slapped a cuff on it, then reached for the other arm, but I pulled away and ran for the door. Just as I got to it, the door opened. There was Simon

Banks, dressed in uniform, gun drawn.

"Give it up Sandburg." He said. "You're going to jail." He laughed as I ran away.

"I knew from the start that you were no good, Sandburg. I tried to warn Jim but he wouldn't listen to me." Simon said. "You see it now, don't you Jim?"

"Yes sir, I do." Jim said, sadly. "You really disappointed me Chief."

He caught up with me and finished handcuffing me, throwing me down onto the couch.

Then he looked at Simon. "Would you mind taking care of this, sir? I really don't want to have anything more to do with this scum."

"Sure thing, Jim." Simon said, grabbing my handcuffed arms and pulling me up.

"Jim, please, it wasn't my fault." I screamed. "Jim, don't send me away."

But Jim turned away and stared out the window as Simon pulled me along out the door. I kept screaming all the way down in the elevator.

The screaming woke me up almost right away. I got up and went downstairs, waiting by his curtained doorway to see if he'd fall back to sleep. But he was calling me and getting louder by the second. I couldn't let him wake all the neighbors, could I? So, I went in and pulled him up into a hug. "It's okay, Chief. I'm here. It's okay. You're not in any trouble."

At first he tried to pull away, but then he seemed to wake up and focus on me. I laid him back down on the bed and pulled the covers up for him.

"Jim?" He sounded confused and it occurred to me that he might not remember what was going on.

"It's okay, Chief. Go back to sleep. You were dreaming." I said, taking a step toward the door.

"Jim, something happened, didn't it? Are you mad at me?" A timid voice asked quietly.

"I'm not mad at you. Everything's okay. Something happened but it's going to be okay in the morning. Just get some sleep now."

"Okay." He said, closing his eyes.

I went back up to bed but it took me a little while to fall asleep. He had seemed so lost and afraid. At first I thought he was afraid of me, but then I realized he was afraid that I would reject him. He had never seemed so insecure to me before. I guess smoking pot must bring that out in him. I had told him everything would be all right in the morning. I hoped I was right.

I laughed as I started the car and pulled out onto the road. As I drove the road seemed to move from side to side, winding a wiggly path. The scenery went by faster and faster and when I glanced down to the speedometer it said I was going 95mph. It seemed so funny to be going that fast.

I wondered if Jim would be able to keep up with me in the truck. Just as that thought occurred to me, I heard the siren coming up behind me. I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw Jim's truck catching up with me. He was chasing me and suddenly I was afraid. Jim wouldn't be chasing me. Surely he didn't know who was in this car. He probably thought my car had been stolen and he was trying to catch up with the thief.

I didn't want him to know it was me. Suddenly it seemed really important for me to get away from him. I jammed my foot on the gas and the car shot out, picking up speed. I was going too fast to take the time to look down at the speedometer. The wind whipped thru my hair from the open windows and I felt so free I thought I could almost fly away.

Then suddenly, someone walked out onto the road in front of me. It was Jim. He stood there and looked up at me and I couldn't stop. I hit the break with all of my strength but the car didn't even slow down, and then it was too late.

I felt the car ram into him and I saw Jim's body fly up and fall back down onto the hood of the car. I sat in the now stopped car and stared through the windshield at my Sentinel's dead eyes staring at me through the bloody glass.

I screamed.

The scream woke me right away. It was terrible, the most painful wretched scream I had ever heard. I was in by his side within moments and I shook him, pulling him out of his nightmare.

"Chief!" I called, shaking him gently. "Wake up. It's okay."

His eyes popped open and he looked at me, his face overcome with an expression of relief, and he sighed.

"Oh, Jim." He said. "Jim, man, you're okay."

I smiled at him. "Yeah, Chief, I'm fine. Are you okay?"

He smiled at me, a big smile. "I'm great now. Just fine. As long as you're okay."

I settled him back down and covered him back up and started out the door. It seemed like it had been a terribly long night already. I hoped we could both get some decent sleep now. I took one more look at him before walking out the door.

"You going to be able to sleep now, Chief?"

"I'm fine, Jim. You go to sleep. I won't wake you up again."

"Goodnight then." I said, pulling the curtain closed behind me.

"Goodnight, Jim." I heard as I walked up the stairs back to bed.

 

PART 6

I carried a cup of coffee in and set it on his table, sitting beside him on the bed. He looked so innocent and at peace in his sleep. Once I had gotten him settled after the last nightmare, he had slept the rest of the night and into the morning. It was almost noon now and I felt like I should wake him up and make sure he was okay. Also, I wanted to find out who was responsible for getting him so stoned last night. I wanted to lock somebody up. I hoped he wasn't going to give me any trouble about telling me who it was. All he had said last night was students. He'd better be willing to name names.

"Chief." I said quietly, lightly touching his shoulder. "Wake up now."

He stirred and squinted his eyes open, looking at me, then around the room, as if confused about where he was.

"Jim?" His voice was hoarse and scratchy sounding.

I stood up and got his coffee. "Here, sit up Chief. I brought you some coffee."

He started to scoot himself up in the bed, but suddenly moaned and flopped back down.

I set the coffee back down and went to him. "What is it? Does something hurt?"

I was expecting maybe a headache, but this looked like pain. Maybe it was his wrists bothering him.

"My side." He said, touching his left side. "I got kicked in it."

I lifted his shirt to take a look. The bruise was purple and black and looked pretty painful. I felt around it but didn't detect any more serious damage. Sometimes a bruise is just a bruise, an impressive one, but just a bruise. Considering where it was, I was thankful that it hadn't been worse. A kick just an inch or two higher could have broken ribs, which could have punctured his lung. Maybe he was a trouble magnet, but he was a lucky trouble magnet.

"Looks okay. Let me help you up." I said, helping him get adjusted to lean on pillows on the back of the bed.

I handed him his coffee and he smiled, sipping it reverently.

"Thanks, Jim. This is sooo good." He sipped it again.

The coffee delivered to me in bed was very reassuring. Jim obviously wasn't mad at me. He was taking care of me, making sure I was okay. I was so relieved that I hadn't lost him because of this. If I could have chosen a brother out of everyone I had ever met, it would have been Jim.

The pain in my side was a bit of a surprise. I had forgotten all about getting kicked there until I tried to sit up. I guess my muscles were sore. But Jim checked me out so I must be okay, in spite of feeling like I was stabbed. I sipped my coffee and looked at Jim. He was sitting there watching me so I figured he was waiting to hear about what happened last night. I guess, after all I put him through, I did owe him an explanation pretty quick.

"So, I guess you want to know how I ended up coming home high."

"You said somebody forced it on you." Jim said. "And I saw your wrists. You were tied up."

"It was the soccer team, Jim. I think it was the whole team. They wanted me to change a couple of grades and I refused, but I think they wanted to do it anyway. They were glad when I refused. They took me out to an equipment shed somewhere near the gym.

They had this bong that was like a straight pipe and they blew the smoke from the other end and one of them held my nose so I had to inhale it. I kept choking on it at first, but they kept doing it and then I must have been so stoned they just let me lay there. I could hear them talking and it sounded like they wanted to have me drive away and they were going to call and report me so I'd get pulled over. They were going to put pot in my car. I guess they figured if I got arrested, they could contest my grades, maybe say I was smoking pot before every class and didn't know what I was doing.

When they ended up getting me so wasted that I couldn't even sit up straight, I guess they had to change the plan. I heard Fred say they were just going to drive me home. But I didn't even think about what they thought would happen. I guess I was too stoned to realize what you might have thought. I mean; you haven't really known me long enough to know that I wouldn't smoke pot, but I guess you figured it out."

I looked at him, suddenly wondering if he was satisfied without a doubt that I didn't normally smoke pot. He looked at me, directly into my eyes, a serious expression on his face.

"I trust you, Chief. But, at first I was a little worried that maybe breaking up with Lisa had gotten you depressed and that maybe smoking pot was your way of dealing with it. I only thought that way for a minute before I decided you were too smart for that." Jim said. "I'm sorry I even thought that for a minute. When I saw your wrists, I wanted to go hunt somebody down and lock them up, but you weren't exactly in any condition to identify anyone last night."

I laughed. It just struck me as funny that Jim would think breaking up with Lisa might make me get stoned.

He looked at me like maybe I was still feeling the effects of the pot smoke.

"Jim, man. I've got to tell you why I broke up with Lisa. She kept getting high before I picked her up. Then she wanted me to come in and smoke with her and I told her no way, but it turns out she's pretty much a pothead and even has trouble holding a job because of it, so I told her I couldn't see her anymore."

Jim laughed. "Well then she'd be sorry she missed you last night."

"Yeah, but it is like sooo not fun to be forced to get stoned. Even if I was a pot smoker, I wouldn't like having it forced on me. It's bad enough to lose control of yourself but to lost control over your own choice of whether to lost control or not, that is like sooo not cool. So, I guess there isn't anything I can do about it, is there?"

Jim looked angry. At first I thought he was mad at me. Had I said something that he didn't like? I tried to think back to what I had just said. Then I realized it was them he was mad at and at that moment I pitied the soccer team. They had no idea what they were up against. The wrath of a sentinel was a mighty intimidating force.

"They assaulted you, Chief. We might not be able to prove they forced you to smoke pot, but we have evidence of assault here, your wrists and the bruises on your side. If we go to the equipment shed we can probably find some physical evidence. Then, we pick up a couple of the boys and question them. There's bound to be one who will crack and tell the whole story."

I suddenly remembered Patrick and the look on his face when I made eye contact.

"Patrick Davis." I burst out. Jim looked at me, waiting for an explanation.

"He's the one who will spill his guts. He didn't want to be there. I could tell. They must have talked him into it, maybe told him they'd kick him off the team if he didn't go along. The main ones involved were Fred Tomlinson and Billy Squiggins. They were the ones who wanted their grades changed. I announced the grades the other day and they were both getting D's. They needed to get C's to keep playing. I tried to help them. I gave them both extra credit assignments to do. If they had done them, they could have brought their grades up to C's. I really wasn't asking that much."

"I know, Chief. You just have to realize some people expect a free ride and when they don't get it they have to take it out on somebody."

He was right about Patrick Davis. He told us the entire story, from Fred coming up with the idea, to them dumping Sandburg off in front of the loft. We checked out the shed and found remnants of pot all over the floor and bits of bloody string. The bong was in the trunk of Fred Tomlinson's car. Before we were done questioning them, we had four boys spilling their guts. The other seven, including Fred and Billy insisted they had no involvement in any of it. They claimed they never even smoked pot or had any idea even where to get it. Of course, the fingerprints on the bong didn't support those claims.

The whole team was expelled from school and all but four of them were charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, reckless endangerment, and first degree assault. I knew when it came down to it, most of them would get off, but I was determined that Fred and Billy would get some jail time out of this. With testimony from Patrick and several of the other boys, we could clearly show that Fred and Billy had proceeded to force Sandburg to smoke pot even after he told them it could kill him, which made it first degree assault, which made it a felony along with kidnapping and false imprisonment.

I wouldn't mind if the others got probation like we had already agreed to for the four who were willing to testify, but I wanted to see Fred and Billy pay a higher penalty than that. And I think, even though he wouldn't really say, that Sandburg wanted it too. They had violated his right to make his own decisions about what he wanted to expose himself to. They had restrained him, forced drug use on him, kicked him, and put him in fear, if not for his life, at least for his continued well being.

Jim really came through for me. Once I told him the whole story, he took charge and made sure the boys were all caught. I don't know what Rainier is going to do for a soccer team but I know this will make other students think before they decide to try to intimidate another teacher to change a grade. I was kind of surprised that everyone at school believed my story. I guess you never really know what people think of you until something like this happens.

I feel like justice is being served. It'll be awhile before anything goes to court on this, but meanwhile, I still have my life, undamaged in any way, and those who would have destroyed it, have only succeeded in destroying their own. That sounds like justice to me.

Besides that, I have the added bonus of a strengthening friendship with my sentinel. He fought his conditioned response of assuming betrayal, and realized that he knew the real me. He gave me his trust and because of this, he has my absolute loyalty, not that he didn't already anyway, but it's nice to have a demonstration that he deserves it completely.

I've never been one to stay in any one place for very long, but if I have anything to say about it, I think I'll stay put for awhile.

The End