Title: Can You Hear Me

Author: Brandi

Juno_skywalker@yahoo.com

Archive: Yes please.

Date: 10/2/00

Pairings: J/B

Rated: NC-17 (story is rated as a whole not in parts)

Warnings: character death, sort of

Disclaimer: Don't own them, but boy do I wish I did. I'm NOT making any money off of my stories, they are just for fun.

Summary: Can a officer pass through time and space to help two dead men? Is she willing to give up her life and even her soul to do it?

Can You Hear Me
by Brandi


Date: October 15, 2399 11:53 p. m. Cascade,
Washington

Detective Ana Draco and her new partner Detective Daniel Cirrus were driving along Madison Ave. It was a quite night tonight, for that Ana was thankful, considering it was her first week at work and she had just put in an 18 hour shift. Her partner had been kind enough to drive her to her new home since she had yet to buy a vehicle. Home. She smiled at the thought. She had just gotten her transfer to the Cascade P.D. when she decided to buy a place over the net so that she didn't have the hassle of trying to find one when she arrived. She had purchased a loft in a deserted part of the city, much to her surprise, and her first impression was that she had been conned. She decided, however, that she had nothing to lose by looking around inside. Boy, was she glad she had because while the place looked like a rat trap from the outside the inside was beautiful in an antique kind of way. The whole place had to be more than four hundred years old and with a little work would look like new.

And the view from the window was something out of an M-DVD version of an old 20th century movie. The loft looked out over the harbor, which had been untouched by mankind for 150 years. It was absolutely breathtaking. Yeah, 852 Prospect, Loft 307 was now her new home.

Ana was brought out of her thoughts of home when she heard static over the police radio in her partner's car. For the first time in her life Draco was chilled to her soul to her very soul at what she heard next.

Sounds of heavy gunfire burst from the radio followed by a man screaming to be heard, "This is Detective Ellison. We are at Bishara's warehouse and under heavy fire. I repeat, we are under heavy fire. Request immediate back up." Then there were screams of pain and more gunfire.

Then a new voice issued from the radio, "This is Sandburg. I have an officer down and we are under heavy fire. WE NEED BACK UP, DAMN IT!"

Then the second voice said, "Please God, somebody, anybody help us."

Ana was reaching for the radio when her partner stopped her. "What the hell is wrong with you? We have to call it in. We have to get there and help them!" she said in confusion.

Her partner pulled over, then turned and looked at her with sad eyes, "There is nothing we can do, Draco. It's the curse. They died over four hundred years ago and there is nothing anyone can do about it now." he said softly.

"Gods, please somebody," the voice over the radio sobbed. Ana nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard more gun fire and then the cry of the man who was pleading for help. Ana squeezed her partner's hand tightly as she listened in complete horror to the radio.

"Jim?" the one called Sandburg asked in a weak voice.

"Yeah, Blair?" came an answering reply.

"They're not coming, are they, Jim?" It was a statement, not a question.

"No, Chief, they're not."Jim answered in a whisper.

Blair spoke softly as the sounds of him crawling closer to the one called Jim echoed in the car. "Oh man. You're losing too much blood. Jim, I can't stop the bleeding, man. We need to get you to a doctor and fast."

A new voice with a British accent spoke, "Don't worry, luv he won't need one in a few seconds."

*BLAM!*

Jim screamed, "NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! BLA.."

*BLAM*

Ana and Daniel flinched at each of the close range shots being fired, the sound of shell casings hitting the floor ringing in their ears.

In that moment Ana did something she hadn't done in a long time, she let her rage explode. "What the fuck was that Cirrus? Is this some kind of damn joke on the new guy, is that it? Well, HA! HA! You guys got your damn laugh."

"Draco, that wasn't a joke. It happens every day this month until the anniversary of their deaths." Daniel spoke quickly, trying to reassure his partner.

Ana's anger disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

Confused, shaken, and tired, she looked way from Cirrus, "I think I just need to go home. Shit! How can you listen to something like that night after night? That was sick. "

Daniel hated to bust her bubble but.... "Actually, that isn't the worst of it. You only heard part of it. As the month goes on until Halloween, it grows more in depth until you can hear all of it from both sides."

Ana looked at her partner in horror at the statement and she just knew that he wasn't kidding around. Her voice shook as she asked, "Worse? It gets worse?"

Somehow Ana just couldn't get her mind around that. It got worse! Shit! Daniel took his hand back and pulled back out onto the street to resume driving. The two of them didn't speak again until they had arrived at Ana's home.

Daniel cringed when he saw the state of the building, the place looked as though it should have been condemned long ago."You going to be ok?"

Missing her partner's look, Ana took a deep breath and said, " Yeah. Just got a little rattled there for a second. I'll be ok after I've had time to relax a bit."

"Do you mind if I walk you to your door, just for my peace of mind. I mean . . . er . . ."

Ana laughed and asked, " You think I'm out of my mind to live here? So you want to take a look to make sure the place isn't going to fall down around my ears in the middle of the night."

Daniel chuckled, "Guilty as charged Detective," he replied, a bemused smile on his lips.

"Well, come on if you're coming. I have a date with a REAL view and I'm not sure I want to share," she smiled warily. As she and her partner made their way to the loft in the new elevator she'd had installed two days ago, Ana tried to put the cry for help out of her mind. Reaching the third floor, she got her keys out and walked to her door, her partner only a step behind her.

Ana found her partner's reaction comical but comforting in a weird, old fashioned kind of way. "Do you want to come in for a second? I think you'll understand why I chose to stay instead of hunting down the guy that sold it to me."

Okay, now she had Daniel's curiosity peaked. So, with a shrug, "Sure why not." Daniel walked in and came to a dead stop. *OH MY GOD!*, was his first thought. "You have got to be kidding me! This is where you live?" Daniel knew his shock must be showing, because his partner was laughing at him.

Grinning Ana said, "See, your new partner isn't such a loon after all. Oh, you have to see the view because it is one of the things about this place I just love."

Grabbing Daniel's hand, she dragged him over to the french doors and opened them. A cool breeze from the harbor was the first thing to assault them. Ana pulled Daniel out onto the balcony, then stepped to the side so he could get the full effect.

Daniel inhaled sharply as the impact of the view hit him full force. "It's beautiful, Draco." he whispered. "How did you find this place?"

"Over the net and totally by accident. I mean how many fully furnished lofts with the option to buy the BUILDING after two weeks, can you find for only 56,000 credits. I mean, I knew it was in the old part of Cascade so I figured that was why the price was so low. Besides I really needed a place fast and for a price I could afford and not have to worry about rent every month. You know, man. It was like major steller."

"Wait a click. Furnished? You mean to tell me this place was fully furnished when you got here. There is either something really wrong with this place, Draco or you have got to be the luckiest person alive!"

Daniel's eyes felt like they were about to fall out of his head and he KNEW he was going to have to pick his jaw up off the floor.

"Yep, totally furnished right down to the tribal masks. I mean I know that every thing is a little
musty smelling, but I figure I'll just let it air out tomorrow since it's my off day. Yeah, okay man, I know it needs some work here and there, but I'm telling you by the end of the month I will have this place in tip top shape." She finished the last with a bounce in her step as she headed back into the loft.

Daniel just shook his head and sighed. He remembered being that young once. The 38 year old man just looked at his younger partner trying to figure out how she was able to shift moods so fast. He watched as the brown haired, green eyed 29 year old talked at light speed, her hands waving about in fluid motion punctuating her every word. Looking at his watch he saw the time and waited for her to come up for air long enough so that he could get in a word edge wise. Smirking he put in, " Well, I hate to leave good company and all, but its one in the morning. I will bid you good night or morning as the case may be."

"Oh yeah. Right. Sorry, man." Ana said as she changed moods again. "Thanks for the ride home, Cirrus. I'll see what I can do about finding a car this weekend so that it doesn't happen again."

"Hey, don't worry about it. If you need a ride to work then just page me." Daniel offered.

Ana laughed, "Careful or I might take you up on that offer." Looking him straight in the eye, Ana wiggled her eyebrows in mischief.

Daniel groaned theatrically, "Oh no! What have I just got myself into now?"

"I would have to say a weekend helping your new partner fix her loft." chuckled Ana. "So you want to save yourself a return trip and spend the night here or drive ALL THE WAY back to New Cascade, just to return, back here in a few little bitty hours."

Seeing that her partner was torn between the comfort of his bed or staying at the loft and getting a few extra Z's, Ana sweetened the deal. "If you stay and help, I'll even be a good sport and let you have the BIG bed upstairs and promise to feed you a few really great home cooked meals while you're here. Deal?"

Daniel laughed. "I don't know if I should call that black mail or bribery, but its a deal if you throw in a hot shower."

"Done!" and that was that, Ana thought. "I'll go get you a change of clothes." At that comment Daniel arched a brow. Ana explained, "They belonged to an ex-boyfriend." Ana wasn't about to tell her partner that not only had the loft come furnished with furniture but men's clothes as well. It was a good thing the clothes were back in style or she would have some explaining to do. Truth be told, she didn't have the answers to the questions that he would ask.

Yet! But one of the things on her to do list this month was to find out what the hell was with all of this. Why the place never seemed to need dusting, why there were clothes in the closet and in drawers that hadn't been eaten by creatures or something. And why the place wasn't rotted through from time and neglect.

Ana knew she would just have to treat this like she did everything else.... attack it and beat it into submission. Then she laughed at herself for such a silly thought.

After showers, a hot meal, and tiredly said good nights, Ana settled down in the bed down stairs. She was so sleepy that her head didn't even hit the pillow good before she was fast asleep. It was that night that the dreams began.

Ana was in a place unlike anything she knew before and yet she knew where she was. In the jungle, standing at the steps of The Temple Of Light, she felt peace. On the landing above her she saw a jaguar and a wolf, each on opposite sides of the landing. Ana watched as the two stalked toward one another, then run, and leap into each other. Blinking at the sudden flash of light, it took a moment for her to register that the animals where now gone and in their place stood two naked men embracing. Amazed and confused she watched as they licked, touched, and kissed each other. She tried to speak, but nothing came forth. Ana tried to move, but her body wouldn't obey her anymore.

She began to panic, for the harder she struggled the less she could move. Sensing she was being watched, she ceased her battle against her body. Her struggle must have caught their attention, for the two men were looking at her. The descended down the stairs to where she stood and began to circle her, the taller one circling left as the shorter, hairy one circled her from the right. Stopping on either side of her, the men spoke.

"Will you go with us?", the shorter one questioned.

The taller one asked, "Can we take you? We can carry you."

Still unable to speak she looked at them helplessly.

Seeming to except her silence for now, the men walked around so that one stood before her and the other behind her. Each now standing flush up against her they resumed touching each other around her, then like she was a ghost, they stepped through Ana and embraced each other for the second time. Still frozen in place, she felt every touch, every stroke, every caress they gifted one another with. Ana felt the love the men had for each other roll though her very being. Closing her eyes, Ana tried to move away again this time she succeeded. Her eyes snapped open and watch as the larger of the men lay down on his back and spread his legs wide. The smaller one swiftly moved into position and entered his mate with a growl. Purring the larger man moved in sync, gathering the smaller man to him as they moved.

What seemed like forever and yet no time at all, the men came screaming the others name.

"Blair!"

"Jim!"

Bolting up in bed, Ana tried to remember who and where she was. Ana laid back onto the bed, voices of the men swirling in her head.

"Will you go with us?", the shorter ones' questioned repeatedly.

The taller one always following just behind his companions, "Can we take you? We can carry you."

END PART 2