Title: A Glimpse of Fate

Author: kyanoswolf

Author Email: kyanoswolf@earthlink.net

Rating: R

Pairings: Jim/Blair

Status: Complete

Date: 04/09/02

Category: Alternate Universes, Challenge

Author's website: http://home.earthlink.net/~kyanoswolf/index.html

Disclaimer: Never mine. Who'd pay *me* money to write this stuff?

Author's Notes:

Story Notes: Blair and Jim meet in a different world. Not a happy ending.

Summary: Rent-boy!Jim Challenge entry.

Warnings: m/m, AU

 

A Glimpse of Fate
by kyanoswolf


The hookers and rent-boys were busy plying their trade in their carefully guarded territories. Jim was different from the rest. Older than the lot of them, with militarily short, thinning hair, Jim still commanded top dollar.

Jim was over six foot, beautifully muscled from hours spent working hard, and well groomed. Dressed in black denim jeans tight enough to display his assets and a T-shirt that molded rock hard abs, Jim cut a rather impressive package. His eyes were a beautiful, clear blue. When angry, those eyes were laser sharp, but a lazy smile made them glow, warmly.

Jim was a man who engendered both respect and fear.

He was suspicious of the classic restored Volvo that pulled up in front of him. He nearly lost his mind when the young man with long curly hair and blue eyes stepped out of the car and walked up to him.

Dreams didn't walk. Dreams didn't speak.

"Who are you?" Jim reached out, lifted the stranger and pushed him against the wall of the apartment building.

"Is that important?" Jim didn't release him. "I just wanted to talk to you."

"My time is money."

"I see. Your time is valuable. How much for the entire evening?"

Jim slowly let Blair down. He raised an eyebrow, then quoted a price much lower than his usual fee.

"Done. My name is Blair."

"Jim."

Jim lead Blair into 852 Prospect and up the stairs to apartment 307 rather than to the discreet hotel two blocks down Prospect he normally used for clients.

"Nice place." Blair looked around the spotless apartment. Blair handed over the sum of money Jim had proposed.

"The evening is yours, Chief. What is your pleasure?"

"Tell me about yourself and how you came to have a Chopec crossbow and quiver." Jim sprawled on one of two blue couches. Blair sat down on the other.

"I spent eighteen months in Peru with the Chopec."

Blair was intrigued. The Chopec weren't known for allowing incursions into their territory. He'd heard stories of the tribe's fierce defense of their land against drug lords and land developers.

"How did you end up here?"

"I actually own this building. I came back here after I got out of the army."

"Don't you get in trouble with either the law or the competition?"

"The competition stays away from Prospect. I may be an aging Rent-boy, but I'm also an aging former Ranger. As for the law, let's just say that Simon Banks can sleep easier at night with me on the streets instead of serving time."

"Simon Banks? That's the Captain of the Major Crime Division. Didn't they just bust the Corrino Family?"

Jim just smiled and shrugged. He changed the subject.

"Are we going to talk all night, Chief?"

"It's my nickel."

"So what do you do."

"I study man."

"Convenient," Jim leered. He moved quickly to hover over Blair.

He pushed the student back into the sofa cushions and buried his face in the young man's neck, inhaling the scent of herbs and musk that was calling to something wild within him.

"Why did you bring me to your home, Jim? Shouldn't you have taken me to a motel room?"

"Wanted you here, " Jim mumbled as he began stripping the clothes from Blair's body. The urgency to join with this man had obliterated all Jim's usual attention to business.

*****

The night went too quickly, but not without Blair noticing Jim's enjoyment as he focused his senses on Blair. Every touch lingered. Every taste of Blair's flesh was savored. Jim even seemed to listen to Blair's breathing.

"If this is how you are with your clients, I can understand why you are in such demand." Blair asked as he stroked Jim's head where it lay upon his chest. Dawn was breaking and Blair's time with Jim was almost over.

Jim raised jaded eyes to Blair's.

"All part of the service, sir."

Blair caught back the cry of disappointment. Of course. Jim was a prostitute, after all. This was nothing special to him. He mentally squared his shoulders. He slipped from the bed and began putting on his clothes.

"Do you see regulars?"

"Bread and butter of the trade, Blair."

"Then perhaps we will meet again."

Jim watched the student leave the apartment with the distinct feeling that Fate had shown him a glimpse of what his life could have been.


### The End ###