Title: What Really Matters

Author: Sunbird

NOTE: here's a little something. Not beta-ed, although I'll run it through spell check.

Archive: feel free to archive

Not slash...but don the smarm gear.



What Really Matters
by SunBird



Blair stood by nervously, as they towed away the blue and white Ford truck. He glanced up at his Sentinel and chewed his bottom lip. Jim had said to be careful. He had warned that the roads were slippery after the heavy rains. But the volvo had been sputtering all week, and he had really needed his files from the U. Maybe if he had just slowed down more on that last turn. Maybe if he had been wearing his seat belt.

Instead, Blair had drove as if it was hot, sunny day. He had been listening to the new Afro-Celtic tape Jim had bought him. Most importantly, Sandburg wasn't wearing his seat belt. He knew he was in a bad spot. The fish-tale had slammed the back-end into the bridge guard rail. The back of the truck had several dents, and a good deal of paint chipped away. Blair, who hadn't been belted in, had a swollen wrist, and

several large bruises. He was in a bad spot indeed. Jim was going to kill him. After all, Jim loved that hayseed truck.

Jim's jaw was twitching. He was grinding his teeth, and trying to do his best made of stone impression. His eyes didn't even track the progress of his truck. Ellison just focused inward. He barely registered his young friend next to him. What had he been thinking, lending his truck out on a day like today. The damage was minor, but it could have been worse. What if someone had been behind his guide? Blair could have been pushed back into the guardrail, or right over the side of the bridge. Jim could be in the hospital now, standing next to a bed...or a draw in the morgue. Jim shook himself out of his thoughts.

"Chief, we need to talk."

"I know, man. I'm so sorry about the truck. I'll pay for the damages. I'll get another job. Don't worry. I'll take care of it." The nervousness from his guide worried him. Maybe the shock from the accident was hitting. Or the adrenaline was wearing off.

Jim quickly used his senses to scan for injuries he had missed. When he couldn't detect any from their short distance, he stepped forward and took Blair by his upper arms. He felt Blair stiffen.

This was it. Jim was going to kill him now-- and since he was a Sentinel, he could make it painful. He shut his eyes and waited. However, no choke hold ensued. Instead, his Sentinel ran his hands down

Blair's arms, then back up. After that, his friend hugged him close. Maybe it was going to be a slow squeezing death like a snake.

Jim just held Blair. Who cares what anyone thought. He had almost lost his best-friend. Sure the truck was a mess, and he'd have to pay big money to fix it; but at least Blair was alright. He stepped back to

look at his friend's eyes. Maybe it was just shock.

"You okay there, Chief. No double vision? No headache?"

Blair was confused. Maybe this was a trick. Make Blair think everything was okay, take him back to the loft, and then kill him. That must be it. No witnesses.

"I'm sorry about the truck. I swear I'll pay for it. I won't even ask to use it again. I'll walk to the U next time."

Jim was confused. Blair was still babbling about the truck. Slowly, the big cop caught on. Blair thought he was mad over the truck. His friend was waiting to be stuffed in a small box, and dropped into the river. For some reason, that upset the big detective. After everything he and Blair had been trough, his guide still didn't think he was important to him.

"Blair," he said slowly, "the truck doesn't matter. I can pay for the damages myself." At Blair's hurt look, he again pulled the anthro student into a hug. "Geez, Blair. What's important to you? Huh? Am I your friend at all?"

Blair pulled away. "Of course you're my friend. Look, I'm sorry about the truck..."

"What is important to you, Blair?" Jim asked again softer. He didn't wait for an answer. He just walked over to Blair's volvo, which he had used to get to the bridge. He climbed into the driver's seat and waited

for his friend. Blair remained where he was standing-- just looking at nothing. Jim leaned out the window, "Hey, Chief, let's get going. I'd like to get to the hospital and home before the jags game tonight." Blair startled then headed for the car.

"Hospital? Why are we going there?"

"I just want to make sure all your parts are still working, Einstein. Besides, I hear that your thousandth visit is free." Jim added to lighten the mood.

"What about the truck? Do you even know what station they're towing it to? I mean some of theses places charge a bundle."

Jim exploded. "Blair! Enough about the truck!" As soon as he said it, Jim regretted it. He glanced over to see Sandburg sitting ramrod straight, pressed as far to the door as he could get. "I'm sorry I yelled."

"It's alright, Jim. You have a right to be mad. I mean, man, what I did to the..."

"Truck, I know. But it's not that." Jim sighed and pulled the key from the ignition. Turning slightly, he was able to give his friend full attention. "Blair, I'm not angry about the truck."

Big owl eyes met his. "You're not?"

"No. I'm not. If I'm angry, it's because you weren't wearing your seat belt. Or, I mad at myself, because I let you drive it when I knew you wouldn't be paying enough attention."

"How did you know that?"

"Because I know you. I know you so well, that I know you're worried I'm going kill you over the accident." He watched the skin around Blair's eyes tighten.

"Well, aren't you?"

Ellison sighed and leaned back into the door behind him. "You just don't get it. You're so smart, and yet so dumb." He stared hard at his friend. "What is important to you Blair? Your volvo?"

"Well, no. I could probably live without it."

"What about the stuff at the loft? Your books and all the little nick-knacks you own. Are they really important to you? I mean, can't live without them important?"

"Um, no."

"What about me, Chief? Am I important to you?" He waited for the answer with held breath.

"You're very important to me. You're my best friend."

"Then why should my truck be more important than you?" Jim asked angrily.

Blair didn't know what to say. He hadn't expected this.

"Let's get to the hospital. Quicker in, quicker out."

"Wait, Jim," Blair waited until the Sentinel was looking at him. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize."

"Maybe you should have."

"I do now. Thanks."

"No problem, kid."

They pulled away, and then the bridge was empty.



End


...it's not very good. But what do you expect in 10 minutes. ;)