Title: What Have I Done?

by Jane Streeter

royslady51@yahoo.com

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: J/B

Rating: Strong PG-14

Disclaimer: Petfly owns The Sentinel. I am not nor have I *ever* been, nor shall I *ever be* a pet fly. Those things get swatted a lot. And that probably hurts. A LOT.

Warnings: Partner Betrayal, Angst, Snippet.

Summary: Jim does a favor for Vice. Blair pays dearly for it.


What Have I Done?
by Jane
Streeter


There was something, in his eyes, that told of a broken soul. Simon was suddenly terrified of what the young man would do, confronted by the sight of his lifemate's long form wrapped around the buxom woman's full figure. It was a sting, a way of quietly and smoothly getting the woman out of her circle of 'friends' and into police hands, done as a favor to Vice…but one look at Sandburg's face told Capt. Banks that the Guide was unaware of that little detail. He realized with a lead weight in his gut that Blair thought the little scene was real. He cursed inwardly at the fact that the damned bust had just had to go down on Sandburg's normal route home from the U.!

The expression in Blair's eyes was lost, haunted and utterly sad. He looked like a man who had watched helplessly as his world was destroyed. He stared in stunned disbelief at the sight of Jim
Frenching the unknown woman. The light in his blue eyes died, leaving a dull, lifeless pair of orbs that had dimmed to a mottled mess of ugly marbled blue and gray. His head bowed, shoulders slumped, and his body seemed to shrivel in on itself. He shook like a young aspen tree in a winter storm as he tried to accept the betrayal he had perceived.

Frantically Simon radioed Conner in alarm, telling her to warn Jim. When the Sentinel's head shot up and his huge hands suddenly clamped around Theresa Clammer's wrist like a steel vise, his eyes searching the area for his Guide, Megan got in there fast to get Clammer cuffed.

"Go, damn it. He saw you all over this little bitch. He thinks you've betrayed him again." Megan hissed. "Get over there, he needs you, damn it!"

Ellison didn't hesitate, following his lover who had already wandered off down the street at a dead run before slowing several blocks away.

Three would-be muggers had confronted Blair, but after having taken one look in those pain-ridden eyes, had held their hands. Shaking their heads, the three crooks looked at each other and departed, leaving Blair alone. Even such scum as they were just didn't have the heart to further harm a man who was already in so much pain.

Jim caught up with the younger man, who moved jerkily, constantly bumping into things in front of him, or stumbling over things on the cement sidewalk. He halted the sobbing young man and raised his chin to see Blair's eyes.

Heart breaking he recognized the eyes as belonging to a man whose soul had fled, utterly. "Blair" was gone.

"Dear God, What have I done?" He whispered in horror.

end