What Dark Beast

By abninf1

abninf1@email.msn.com

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Horton/Jim

Rating: PG

Author's note: I enjoyed your story (What Rough Beast) so much, and this has been flashing in my head all day so I thought I'd send it as a thank-you gift to you guys, because I really like your story. I couldn't dig up all of your addresses so I'm sending it to Stormwolf Dawn in hope of having it forwarded to the rest of the authors. This is only the second time a story has startled up a plot gerbil (too small to be a bunny) in my head. So I hope you enjoy.

 

What Dark Beast

By abninf1


Tricia Jones watched James Ellison's guide, Officer Horton almost stomp into her office. Frustration radiated off of him in almost visible waves as he threw himself scowling into the chair in front of her desk. "Good morning Officer Horton."

"I don't know why I'm seeing you without Jimmy, he's the one with the problems bonding. Defective excuse for a sentinel."

"I asked to have this session without your sentinel because I felt what we had to say to each other would further damage his ability to bond."

"What bond? Everything I get from him I have to force from him with a prod." His voice rasped a little. "Mark was never like this."

"Mark had a strong bond , you two worked together for five years."

"I didn't cut Mark any slack," Horton proclaimed defensively, "But Mark tried hard, worked hard. He died saving me."

"You suffered a big loss, and anger is part of that process. Do you see your problems with Jimmy are becoming a focus for that anger?"

Horton thought for a short while, then said tiredly, "Maybe, but holding Jimmy's leash is wearing me down. I have to watch him 24/7, I feel like one slip and I'll loose my hold on him. It shouldn't be that way." He repeated. He hated opening up like this, it was against his nature, but he knew Dr. Jones was an unbonded guide with a very high empathy rating, if you held back, she would know. And she had the power to pull him off the street he hated the thought of that even more.

"Jimmy will never be like Mark she commiserated, even if he had been raised to it, it wouldn't be the same." She leaned forward a little, "His past life and his late presentation..." She shook her head, "I won't lie to you, it won't be easy."

"What do you mean? I understand the adjustment from officer to sentinel's got to be a kick in the teeth. But what about the rest?"

"He's got at least a border line case of attachment disorder. His entire life history is one of social isolation and abandonment by the people and organizations he is supposed to trust."

"So he had a rough life," Horton said dismissively, "a lot of people do."

"His mother, an alcoholic, abandoned the family when he was 8. His father was a rather cold and distant man, abuse both physical and mental could be guessed at from school and medical records. This is probably why his abilities were originally repressed."

"That could do it?"

She nodded solemnly, "Rather literally beaten out of him." She continued, "He joined the army, and while he didn't have any discipline problems his psyche profile also notes that he doesn't form close bonds with his peers but is very protective of his subordinates. In Special Ops, allot of the information is blacked out, but he is commended for the extra training he does with his team."

"So he was close to them." Horton affirmed, "He can bond with people."

She sighed, "As subordinates, yes. And unfortunately they all died in a helicopter crash," A slight amount of sarcasm crept into her tone, "and the army left him in the jungle down in Peru for 18 months before they came to investigate."

"Shit" Horton collapsed back into his chair.

"That would be MY medical opinion." Tricia affirmed.

So he comes home, leaves the army and joins the police force. Has a failed marriage, difficulty working with his peers until he is partnered to Jack Pendergrast..."

Horton looked up an in almost monotone continued her line, "who disappears.

She nodded, "So after he expresses as a sentinel and is stripped of his job, the only thing that has meaning for him, he is given to a guide. He begins to bond strongly to him in spite of all this bad past history..."

She looked at Horton inquiringly, waiting for him to pick up the line of thought. Horton thought a moment, and then answered slowly, "His guide chooses another sentinel." He almost snarled then, "I'm fucked aren't I, this isn't going to work."

"It's not going to be easy..." She started

"Not easy, you say! Fuck! "

"It will take a lot of time and attention." She said firmly, "but I think you have every chance of making a strong bond with him."

"He's mine now," said Horton grimly with firm resolve, "He'll learn that."

Tricia watched him with professional eyes. "With time he will."

"Thanks for talking with me... telling me this stuff."

"That's my job. Good luck."

He left the office and was down the hall before he let the hard ball of anger bloom in his chest. Jimmy would learn who he belonged to.

END