Title: Together we stand, divided we fall

Fandom: The Sentinel

Author/pseudonym: Latoya

Email address: Sonia316@mindspring.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: J/B

Date: 8/02/00

Archive : yes

Series: No

Category: Angst

Disclaimer: Boys don’t belong to me and no money is being made just fun.

Summary: Ahm, i don't know,

Warnings: None

Thank Elaine for the beta and I take it back, I am afraid of her. And for Loony and Judy for giving me their input. Faded Memories will be out very soon. Feedback appreciated. ^_^

 

TOGETHER WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL
by Latoya

Blair snuggled into the mattress looking for a warm spot on the cold sheets beneath him. He reached over to where Jim would be and encountered nothing but another cold spot. He sat up and blinked a few times. Then he realized that he was in his bed and Jim was in his. That Jim was not his.

He wrapped his quilt tighter around him and pulled his knees to his chest. "Oh Jim, how I wish you were mine," he cried softly into the darkness of the night.

Upstairs Jim lay awake in bed. Listening to Blair's heartbeat which lulled him to sleep each night. But tonight, tonight was different. Blair was awake and was crying? Jim sat up, pulled on his boxers and prepared to make his way downstairs. There was something wrong and he was going to fix it. Going to do whatever it took to fix it.

He carefully made it downstairs even though his eyes automatically adjusted to the darkness of night. "Blair, are you all right?" he asked softly.

"Just go back to bed Jim, I'll be fine."

Jim shook his head and sat down next to Blair. "I'm not leaving until you tell me."

But Blair couldn't bring himself to, all he kept thinking about was Jim pushing him away in disgust, of Jim kicking him out. So he broke down and sobbed harder for something that could never be.

Jim's heart ached because he didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to fix Blair's problem so he did the only thing that he could do. He pulled Blair into his arms and rocked him gently. "Shhhh, Blair. Whatever it is we're going to get through this together." He tucked Blair's head under his chin and rocked him gently. "Together we can do this."

Blair sniffled a little bit. Maybe he was wrong. Everything would be okay as long as they were together and Jim was there to see him through. As long as we're together. Blair swallowed his tears and looked up at Jim. "I need you to love me Jim." Despair and pain showed in his dark blue eyes born from the fear of being denied and rejected.

Jim stilled his rocking, somewhat confused by Blair's request. "What...what did you say?"

Tears fell from Blair's eyes as he realized that this was the end, he had made a fatal mistake and had lost his friend. Jim could never see him like the way he wanted to be seen. "Nothing Jim, I didn't say anything," but he was sure that Jim had picked up on his words.

"I think I should go back to my room now." Jim released Blair and quickly fled the room. Jim stopped when his foot touched the third step. He turned around and walked back to Blair's room. "Blair I want you out of here by tomorrow evening. I don't want you living in here anymore," with that said he turned and went to his bedroom, dwelling on his decision. Either way he chose, Blair would not be staying there anymore.

Blair didn't sleep anymore that night, his eyes seemed to reflect how cold he felt. He stared at his room in the darkness, taking in the pieces of art that hung from the walls. "I never meant to discuss you Jim, I'm so sorry. I'll be gone tomorrow if that's what you want." He felt cold tears stream down his cheeks making his pillow a soggy cold place to lay his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim strolled down the stairs in his bathrobe, a sinking feeling in his stomach that he hadn't been able to get rid of since last night. But he had come to his decision and he had to stick to it. It was either let Blair stay or...........

Blair was already up and dressed, seated numbly at the kitchen table rocking back and fourth in his chair. "Just give me some time Jim and I'll go poof, you won't even know I occupied that room." Blair said firmly but his voice was colored with tears.

"You only got until this afternoon Blair, if it's not all gone from the room by then, consider the rest of it going into the basement. Too much junk to put in our room anyway. And I did say our room Chief, because I can't love you from afar. I need you beside me and the only way to do that is to get you out of that small room and into mine."

Blair looked up at Jim with a look of disbelief. "Our room?"

"Yeah our room baby, I told you together we can do this. Like they say, together we stand, divided we fall."

 

=30=