THROUGH THE PORTAL

By Stormwolf Dawn

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim/Blair

Rating: R

Summary: The Major Crimes team steps through a portal to another universe

WARNINGS: Warning for animal lovers, and some gross parts.

 

THROUGH THE PORTAL

By Stormwolf Dawn

Jim came to a dead stop. Behind him, Simon and Blair ran into his back, causing the sentinel to stumble forward a bit. Simon cursed beneath his breath.

Ahead of them was a strange artifact. Unlike the other artifacts in the basement of the museum, the strange doorway before them was without dust or cobwebs. Instead the item that was made of brown stone with strange symbols carved into it, stood completely untouched by time. The artifact looked exactly like an archway, and the center of it was glowing with a strange silver light.

"Tell me I didn't see what I thought I saw." Banks said.

"I don't know, Simon. What do you think you saw?" Blair asked sweetly.

Captain Simon Banks gave Blair a look that would have had most people cringing in terror, but the anthropologist turned cop wasn't most people.

"I thought I saw our thief run right into that glowing center and disappear." Banks said.

"Sorry, Captain. But that's exactly what you saw." Jim said turning his eyes away from the mesmerizing light display to look at his captain.

"Shit, Jim. That's not exactly the answer I was looking for." Simon gruffed, putting his gun back into the holster beneath his arm.

Jim shrugged, "Sorry, Simon.'

"So now what do we do?" Blair asked.

"Follow him." Jim suggested.

Simon and Blair both choked.

"Have you lost your mind. You want to follow a thief through....I don't know what that is!" Blair practically yelled.

"And here I thought you knew what it was." Simon said.

"Your kidding right. I have never seen symbols like that. They closely

resemble gaelic, but..." He trailed off.

"And you want us to follow a thief through something that not even Sandburg knows what it is." Simon said turning to Jim, "YOu must be out of your mind."

"Fine." Jim said, then stepped through the portal. He wasn't going to let the thief and murderer get away. The man had killed two security guards on this job, and Jim would be damned if he let the man get away now.

Captain Banks and Detective Sandburg watched the sentinel disappear into the strange silver light. Without even a moment's hesitation, Blair followed his sentinel. Banks waited a few seconds, but when they didn't reappear the captain breathed, "Aww hell, " then stepped into the light.

*************************

Simon opened his eyes and blinked at the fuzziness of his vision toward the distant objects and thought, *Must have lost my glasses.* He groaned as he moved, his head pounding with his pulse. Reaching up, the Captain tried to rub the bridge of his nose. What came into view was not the same brown hand he was familiar with. Instead, a huge hair paw with long claws came into view. The startled Captain fell backwards, and got a good look at his hairy legs with its clawed feet.

"What the HELL am I." Banks roared.

"One very pissed of grizzly bear, Simon." Jim answered. Banks turned in the direction of Jim's voice and saw only a large black jaguar sitting on its haunches a few feet from him. At the jaguar's paws, apparently still unconscious, was a grey wolf.

"What the..." Banks started.

The jaguar answered, though his mouth wasn't really moving, "We've been

transformed into our spirit guides." the voice sounded like Jim.

"How?" Banks asked. The jaguar was Jim. He knew that. Which meant the wolf was Sandburg. Then memory hit. The portal. Banks looked over his now furry shoulder, and saw only rolling grassy hills, like the one they were on.

"Don't bother. The portal is gone. Or at least not here." Jim said.

A whine told them the grey wolf..er Blair was waking up.

"Easy there, Chief." Jim said placing a paw on the wolf's shoulders.

The wolf looked up at Jim. "Oh, man. Are we in the spirit plane?" Blair asked.

"Nope, no jungle here." Jim said.

"Oh. Then why are you a jaguar?" Blair asked confused.

"I don't know, Chief. We were kinda hoping you had the answer to that."

"We?" Blair moved to get up on all four paws. Looking around he spotted the extremely large grizzly bear.

"Wow. Is that Simon?" Blair asked.

"Who the hell else would it be, Sandburg. Yogi Bear!" Simon snapped.

"You know, Simon. I've always suspected your spirit guide was a bear. I mean your both big, mean, and grumpy."

"I'll grumpy you." Simon said mock swinging at the wolf, who adroitly leaped away.

"Easy guys. We haven't got time for games. Blair, you might not have

noticed, but the portal is not here." Jim said. That stopped the wolf, who was getting ready to leap at Simon. Blair looked around.

"Damn. Your right. I was just hoping we could go back through the portal after we caught the thief."

"Now what do we do?" Simon asked.

"Maybe we got flung further from the portal." Blair suggested.

As they spoke a peregrine falcon circled overhead. The bird eventually

lighted onto a branch of the one lonely tree on the hill.

"You cannot go back." The bird said in feminine voice.

The three Cascade officer looked at the falcon.

"Who are you?" Blair asked padding to the foot of the tree.

"My name is Clara. I was brought here nearly twenty years ago by one of the portals."

"You mean your from earth?" Blair asked.

"Yes. I was an archeologist. We had found one of the Elven portals at a dig in Ireland. Somehow my husband activated the portal, and we stepped through out of curiosity. On this side I was like you see me. My husband was an owl."

"Wait did you just say Elven Portal?" Jim asked.

"Yes. This is the elven world. There are no humans here. Humans who find there way here through the portals are transformed to their spirit guides. You'll be able to tell those who were once human because they will be earth type animals."

"Are there other types?" Simon asked.

"Yes. Everything you've ever heard of in mythology exists in this world. Unicorns, centaurs, elves, dragons, dwarves. But the rulers are the elves."

"I'm dreaming. That's it I'm having a fucking nightmare, and I'd like to wake up now!" Simon roared. The only answer was the sound of his roar echoing through the hills.

"Where the hell are they!!!" Captain Taggert yelled, his voice reverbating through the empty halls of the museum.

Bryan Rafe shrugged. Megan Conner just shook her head, and Henri Brown answered, "We don't know. Ellison said he spotted the thief going down this hallway. We haven't seen 'em since."

"Well, dammit. We need to find them." Taggert said. The group split up and looked down the ominous hallway that Henri indicated.

"The door to the basement is half open, Captain. Perhaps they went down here?" Megan said. Snapping on her flashlight, or torch as she would call it, Megan Conner descended the stairs. Behind her Rafe flipped on his flashlight, and followed with Taggert and brown at his heels. All had their weapon pointed levelly, eyes constantly searching for any sign of their friends and comrades.

A dropped box crashing to the floor and the sound of something fragile breaking alerted the detectives to the presence of the thief.

"Freeze, Cascade PD!" Henri yelled followed by the scream from the others.

The thief dived behind a statue, and shot at them with his own gun.

The detectives returned fire.

Almost contemptibly, the thief through his empty gun away, then stepped out from behind the statue. The detectives moved closer, warily.

They never saw the accomplice step out from behind a shelf, and wave his hand in their direction. Power stirred the air, and the detectives fell to the ground unconscious.

The two thieves removed their masks, including their magic disguises. Two blonde haired elves stood over the detectives.

"What do we do with them, Liam." the thief with the gun said.

"They are useless. We shall send them through the portal, and let our brethren deal with them." With that the two elves picked up the detectives one by one easily, and threw them through the glowing portal.

When that was done, Liam ran his hands over the carved portal, and the light turned off, and the portal became dark and silent.

Nodding in satisfaction, Liam and the other elf left the basement, and out into the streets of Cascade.

Jim, Blair and Simon padded through the grassy hills following the shadow of the falcon. She had told them all she knew, and then warned them at it was to dangerous to stay on the hills. She had said that there was a forest that led into a range of mountains somewhere far to the northeast. It would be safer in the forest, and they would be able to hunt and survive better in the forest than on the grassy plains.

For once, Blair was faring better than his companions. Wolves were built for long distances, whether running or loping. Frequent rest stops were required for the panther and bear, neither beasts built for migration.

It wasn't long before hunger pains began to nag at their stomachs, and thirst dry out their mouths. The falcon led them to a stream meandering through the grassy hills. Cattails and lily pads dotted the stream, and the three detectives could see the fish swimming lazily through the stream.

"These claws must be good for something." Simon said after he finished lapping up the water. He then reached in with a large bear paw, and tried in vain to bat a fish.

"I don't think that's how bear do it, Simon." Blair said.

Simon gave him a look, and then asked, "And how do they fish Sandburg?"

The wolf shrugged.

"Simon, we can't fish here. However hungry we all are, we have to get off these plains. I don't think she's telling us everything, and I'd soon not find out what happens to us if the elves find us." Jim said. Jim, a black jaguar, was laying down in the grass near the water, having drank his fill.

"Damn, your right." And with that Simon lumbered to his paws along with Jim, and the three continued their trek.

At one point, the falcon landed on a fallen log, and preened her feathers as she waited for the three to come to her.

"This is as far as I can take you. I'm at the edges of my hunting territory. Just continue to go in the direction we've been going and you should reach the forest before nightfall. Good luck." And with that the falcon leaped into the air, and flew back the way they had come.

Jim watched her leave trying not to think, *good riddance*, then stared at his companions. "Let's go."

How could this be POSSIBLE!" Taggert yelled.

On the grassy hill overlooking a rolling hilly plain, Taggert stood on all four hooves and yelled at the insanity of everything. Beside him, Megan, also stood on her hooves.

Henri looked over at the captain and his fellow detective, and saw only a very large Brahma bull, and a grey mare. And perched precariously on the Brahma's horns was his buddy and partner, Rafe, in the form of a golden eagle. *This has got to be a nightmare.* Henri thought. Any time now I'll wake up and find myself in my bed, hopefully with a beautiful woman in my arms.* Shaking his mane, Henri snapped himself out of his fantasy. The large red golden maned lion that was Henri Brown sat down on his haunches.

"This is weird." Rafe said.

"Where are we?" Megan asked her tail lashing against her hindquarters.

"I don't know. I wonder if this is were Simon, Jim and Blair ended up?" Taggert said in a more calm voice.

A screeched turned their attention to the sky. Above them a falcon circled.

With a cry, Rafe launched into the air, the bird's instincts guiding him as he flew closer to the falcon.

Halfway to the falcon, Rafe realised what he was doing. He was allowing the bird's instincts to control him. He stopped his dive, and glided lazily on the warm currents of air.

"Thank you." The falcon said.

Rafe almost fell.

**************************************

It didn't take long for the falcon to explain to them about the world, and to tell them of Simon, Jim and Blair. The falcon guided them, but as with Simon and the others, she left them at the limits of her territory. The group continued on, hoping to catch up with the Simon's group before they reached the forest.

Blair ran as fast as he could his four legs beating the ground beneath him in a steady rhythm. He ducked, and leaped over fallen branches and logs, avoided rocks and small scurrying animals. Behind him he could hear the wolf pack that was chasing him, and the sound made him run faster. Only you would piss off a wolf pack, Blair thought as he ran.

He burst through some bushes into the clearing where Jim was lying in the soft grass licking his fur. They had made it far into the forest and found the clearing. Simon had gone to the stream, which wasn’t far from the clearing to fish while Blair had gone exploring.

At Blair’s quick entrance, Jim leaped up, and Blair dashed behind Jim ducking beneath Jim’s lashing tail pressed against Jim’s back legs. Blair felt like such a coward but he wasn’t moving.

"What’s wrong?" Jim asked.

Blair was unable to answer as three wolves entered the clearing snarling. The one in the lead was a wolf so pale as to be almost white with a scarred muzzle.

"Out of the way, cat. I have business with the cub." The lead wolf snarled.

Jim didn’t take his eyes off the lead wolf, but asked, "Blair?"

"I was just walking along minding my own business when I accidentally bumped into whitey there. I apologized but he just bit me on the muzzle. I tried to back down but he growled and bit me again, so I turned and ran. I’m sorry, Jim."

"Not you fault Blair." Jim snarled at the thought that someone had bit Blair. "Your business with him is done. You’ll have to go through me to get ot him."

"My pleasure, cat." The leader said as the rest of the pack of twelve wolves entered the clearing. Jim snarled and his black tail lashed. Behind him Blair became scared for Jim. He wasn’t sure a jaguar and a wolf could take on a twelve wolves.

The leader and his two lieutenants attacked with growls, and Jim slashed at them with his claws while managing to get his jaws around one of the lieutenants head. The powerful jaws of the jaguar crushed the wolf’s skull, and Jim spat the brown and gray body to the ground while slashing at the other two with his claws. The wolves backed down a bit, but then the entire pack rushed Jim and the sentinel barely stayed on his paws. Blair helped as best he could, biting at the wolves with his teeth, snarling and snapping. Jim roared in pain and anger as the wolves bit at the great black furred body.

Then another roar answered Jim, and Blair turned in time to see the huge magnificent Kodiak charging into their midst. When he reached the clearing, Simon charged into the pile of wolves that were on top of Jim and Blair knocking several of them about ten feet. Simon then stood on his hind legs and roared as he lashed out with his big paws. On of them caught a wolf that was biting at Jim’s neck, and the wolf flew in the air hitting a tree and falling onto the ground dead. Simon continued to bat at the wolves his strength more than a match for the pack. They leaped on him trying to bite but found that a grizzly’s hide was thick and tough.

Not far from them, Henri, Rafe, Joel and Megan found themselves within the woods, and had heard the roar of the cat and the answering roar of the bear. The flacon had told them the forms that Jim and Simon had and knew that that could only be them. Looking at each other, they quickly broke into a run, Megan flying ahead of them with Joel at her shoulder, and Brown barely keeping up. Rafe flew ahead to find them.

They came upon the clearing to see the pack of wolves attacking the huge Kodiak, and among the dead wolves, and the live wolves was a black shape that could only be Jim. With a roar, Henri charge toward the wolves with Joel behind him, and Megan ahead of him.

Joel’s horns took out a few of the wolves, and Henri managed to kill a few before the few survivors fled. Only one wolf remained behind, and that wolf was nuzzling the black panther that lay on the ground bleeding from a dozen wounds. Henri knew that the gray wolf was Blair.

"How did you guys get here?" Simon asked as he regained his four paws shaking himself.

"We are not sure. The last thing we remember is a gunfight the basement." Joel said.

Simon walked over to where Blair was trying to wake Jim. The panther was unconscious, and Simon became worried. He watched as Blair began to lick the wounds on Jim’s body.

"How is he?" Joel asked.

"Not good." Simon said. "He took the brunt of the attack."

"This is my fault. I should have just let that wolf bite me or whatever he wanted. I should have given him proper respect. Its what started this whole mess."

"Did you know that was what he wanted?" Simon asked.

"Not really. I forgot I was a wolf." Blair said. "And not a very dominant one either."

"Its not your fault, Blair." Simon said.

Henri came up and helped Blair lick Jim’s wounds clean.

Joel and Simon walked over to the side of the clearing to talk.

"We can’t stay here. The dead wolves will bring scavengers." Simon said.

"Jim?" Joel asked.

"I think with Henri and Megan’s help we can carry Jim." Simon said. "We need to find a place to shelter and get food for all of us. I figure we can follow the river." Simon said then he looked over at Rafe who was perched in a tree. "Rafe." He called. The golden eagle spread his wings and glided over to a branch closer to Simon and Joel.

"Captain?" Rafe asked.

"I need you to scout ahead for us. Find us a place where we can get food for all of us. Take in mind the forms we have, I don’t think Joel and Megan will be able to eat any meat. Follow the river upstream towards the mountains."

"Sure, Captain, no problem." And with that Rafe spread his wings and launched into the air.

They went back to the clearing where Megan and Henri had dragged off some of the wolf carcasses while Blair continued to tend Jim.

"I’ve sent Rafe off to scout us a place to stay. Hopefully with shelter and food for all of us." Simon told them.

"Jim?" Blair asked.

"Henri and I will try and get Jim onto Megan’s back and she can carry him with Joel helping her keep him balanced. You don’t mind do you Megan?" Simon asked.

"Of course not, Simon. Anything I can do to help." Megan said.

It wasn’t long before Rafe returned ready to guide them to the place he had found.

Megan laid on the ground her hooves beneath her as she waited. Henri firmly but carefully grasped Jim’s scruff in his jaws and lifted the panther while Simon used his forelegs to help lift Jim. Together they managed to place the unconscious panther on Megan’s back. Joel stood beside Megan as she stood using his nose to keep Jim in place. Simon help as well. With Joel on one side of her, Megan slowly walked surround by the rest of the gang with Rafe flying overhead.

It was slow going and by the time they reached the place Rafe had found night was falling. Halfway there Jim had regained consciousness, but weak from blood loss he rode Megan’s back the entire way. Rafe was forced to ground himself when night fell, eagles not being owls. He was perched on Joel’s horns getting a free ride. It was Henri’s and Blair’s eyes that guided them through the darkness.

Hey Henri you remember that movie, The Ghost and the Darkness?" Blair asked.

"The one about the lions, yeah. That was a good movie. Can’t believe I’m a lion though." Henri laughed.

"Its your spirit guide. It suits you." Blair said.

"If you say so, Hairboy or maybe Wolfboy." Henri laughed.

The place Rafe had found was a sheltered spot near a tributary of the river. The tributary was a small stream that flowed into a pond. The pond was full of fish. The sheltered spot had a hollow and a rocky overhang. The grass was tall and succulent looking to Megan and Joel.

Henri and Simon helped Jim off of Megan’s back after she laid down. The sentinel was sore and tired, and Henri and Blair walked on either side shoulder to shoulder lending their support as they guided Jim to the mouth of the abandoned fox den. Inside Jim curled up and fell instantly to sleep. Blair curled up beside Jim to keep the sentinel warm.

"We need food." Simon said. He looked over at Megan and Joel whose heads where already down as they grazed.

"If it wasn’t dark I would try to fish. These eyes are pretty good at seeing below the surface of the water. Just in daylight though." Rafe said.

"That’s alright, Rafe. I’ll try and get us some fish, but I don’t think that will tide all of us over." Simon looked at Henri.

"Guess its up to me then." Henri said. "No problem. But what should I hunt. The falcon said that all earth type animals were once human or descended from humans."

Simon sighed, "I don’t know, Henri. Use your own judgment. If you bring back a deer, none of us will say anything. I just don’t know. I do know we can’t starve to death and we can’t eat grass like Megan and Joel."

Henri nodded. Simon was right. He loped off into the forest in search of game whatever it may be.

Henri lucked out however. He found some strange looking deer like creatures that had purple fur and curling silver horns. The creatures were fast, but Henri managed to sneak up on them until it was too late for them. He brought down one of them easily his jaws strangling the beast to death. He dragged it back to the sheltered clearing.

Simon had managed to catch several fish in the pond. Rafe was currently dining on one of the trouts in a tree. Simon had brought Jim some of the fish, but Blair couldn’t seem to get the jaguar to eat. Jim was listless and hurting, and though he was hungry he felt too sick to eat.

Blair continued to lick Jim’s wounds trying to keep them clean, hoping that what he had read about wolf saliva was true.

Blair wolfed down the fish satisfying his own hunger. When Henri brought back the deer like animal, Blair went out to get a piece for Jim hoping that it would stir Jim’s hunger enough to have him eat.

Henri let Blair have a piece while he and Simon feasted on the deer. Simon had told Henri that Jim wasn’t eating, and Henri was scared that Jim might die from his wounds. He asked Simon who said he wasn’t sure.

Jim didn’t eat the meat, though he tried. Blair wanted to cry, he too was scared that Jim would die.

Henri brought Blair some more meat, and Blair wolfed it down. He felt strangely full but continued to eat some more. Finally, when all the meat was one, he laid beside Jim. Henri came inside and laid on Jim’s other side. Between the three of them they kept the jaguar warm. They took turns licking Jim’s wounds and sleeping.

Outside, Simon had dragged the bones and leftover meat away from the clearing for the scavengers to find and finish off. Joel was lying beneath the rock overhang his hooves tucked beneath him chewing his cud. Megan was still grazing. Simon went over to the pond to wash his fur and get a rink. It occurred to him that Jim might be thirsty and look around for something that he could use. But could find nothing. He went back to the shelter, and stuck his head in.

"Jim are you thirsty?" Simon asked the jaguar.

The great black head nodded.

Simon looked at Blair. "How do we bring him water. Can he walk?"

"No he can’t. I think I know a way, but don’t get grossed out or anything." Blair said as he crawled out of the den. He walked over the water and filled his mouth with it while Simon followed. He crawled back into the den.

Jim managed to lick the water from Blair’s mouth and tongue. Simon shuddered inside, but knew this was the best way. Henri and Simon helped Blair bring water to the jaguar.

After Jim had his fill of water, his hunger stirred. The sick feeling had dissipated once his thirst had been cared for. Simon was about to go catch some more fish when Bair said. "Don’t bother Simon. Now I know why I continued to eat even after I was full." Blair said. Then he looked at Jim, "But its up to you Jim."

Jim knew what Blair was talking about having studied wolves when he was younger, "Simon’s pretty tired already, Blair. Go ahead." In fact Jim helped the process by licking Blair’s muzzle. An instinctive reaction, Blair regurgitated the extra meat he had eaten instinct telling him to do so because he was caring for a sick pack member.

Simon and Henri tried not to be grossed out as Jim ate the food that Blair had regurgitated for him. The meat was enough to sustain his hunger for the night. When he was done, Henri and Simon brought more water, then Blair licked Jim clean along with Henri’s help. When they were done, Henri and Blair curled up next to Jim inside the den. Simon slept under the rock overhang with Joel and Megan keeping watch over them as Henri kept watch over Blair and Jim. Rafe roosted safely on Joel’s horns.

When morning came, Simon was the first to awaken. Yawning, Simon stood up and walked over to the pond to lap up some water. Wishing he could have a cup of coffee, Simon lapped up the water then waded into the pond ignoring the cold as he tried to fish. Rafe woke and stretched his wings when Joel lifted his head also awake. Megan came awake as well. They stood up and Rafe launched himself into the air. The two of them walked over to the pond and drank their fill as well. Simon came ashore having tossed four good sized fish on land. With one more fish in his jaws, Simon walked over to the den hoping he would not find two grieving friends.

He stuck his head in to find Henri awake. The lion looked at him, and Simon caught his breath. He looked closer to find Blair licking the wounds on the panther whose eyes were open and looking at Simon.

"Hey Jim, you feeling better today?" Simon asked.

"A little." Jim answered.

"He’s a bit feverish, Simon." Blair said.

Simon gave Henri the fish who placed it in Jim’s reach. Jim slowly licked the fish, and opened it with his claws. He ate the fish fastidiously while Henri and Blair licked Jim’ wounds clean. They had taken turns throughout the night in keeping the wounds clean afraid infection would set in. Henri had also taken the time to completely bath Jim’s fur since Jim was too weak to do it for himself.

When Jim was finished with the fish, he tried to get up. Blair stopped him with a paw on his back, "Chief, I gotta go, and you definitely don’t want me to do it in here." Jim said.

On either side of the panther, Henri and Blair helped Jim out of the den so that he could relieve himself. While they where out, they took him over to the pond so that the could drink some water. While Jim lay beside the pond napping in the warm sun, Henri, Blair, Rafe and Simon ate on the fish Simon and Rafe managed to catch. Joel and Megan grazed on the grass.

When they were done eating, Henri and Simon walked over to lounge on the rocks near where Joel and Megan where grazing. Rafe perched in a tree and preened, while Blair laid down beside the sleeping panther.

"How are we going to get back?" Joel asked Simon.

"I don’t know. The portal isn’t there anymore. I don’t think we can get back. We may be stuck here forever." Simon said.

"That’s not good. What about these Elves. Maybe they can help us get back." Megan said.

"You don’t want to talk to them, trust me." Another voice said. Henri stood as did Simon as a spotted leopard leaped from a tree onto the ground. Joel and Megan stood together behind Simon and Henri. Blair was in front of Jim.

"Do not worry," The feminine voice said, "I mean no harm to you. I saw you all together and knew that you were new here."

"How can you tell that?" Blair asked.

"Because you are together. Eventually, everyone separates and lives with their own kind. It happens." The leopard said as she flowed over to he stream and lapped up some water. "Forgive me, my name is Maria."

"What did you mean that we shouldn’t talk to the elves?" Blair asked.

"The Elves have magic. They are the ones who created the portals. Only an elf can open the portals. And they wouldn’t do it to allow you to go home."

"Why?" Simon asked.

"To the elves we can be very useful. I don’t know why when we come here we become animals, but we are very useful to the elves. Like your friends there." Maria nodded in Joel and Megan’s direction. "They would use your hooved friends like we used horses and cattle. Only they don’t eat meat. Lucky for us."

"And the rest of us." Simon asked.

"Zoos, perhaps. Circuses. The worst however would be to captured by one of their sorcerors."

"What would they do?" Henri asked.

"The sorcerors can make you into their familiars. But only certain animals. I don’t know why that is." Maria answered as she laid on the ground.

"Which animals?" Blair asked.

"Only cats. Any type of cat would be fair game for the sorcerors. If you and your friends are captured, the two cats among you would be sold to the highest bidding sorcerors, I can guarantee you that."

The others looked at Henri and Jim.

Maria stood and went over to where Jim and Blair were. "You friend has been injured. May I, I was a doctor in our world."

Blair looked at Jim who was fast asleep, perhaps even unconscious. He nodded.

Maria studied Jim’s wounds, licking a few of them. "You did a good job. The wounds have no infection that I can detect. If you continue to keep them clean, and him fed and given plenty of water, I believe he will be alright."

"Thank you." Blair said.

"You are welcome. Please take my advice. Stay away from the humans. My friend was brought here like I was. He was also a cat. A beautiful white tiger. They captured him, and the last I saw of him he was fawning and lapping the hand of a sorceror. Completely loyal to the elf."

Blair shuddered.

Maria looked at Henri, "Perhaps Lion, you would like to join me. I am sure together we can bring down enough food to feed your strange pride."

Henri looked at Simon who nodded. "I would like that." Henri followed Maria into the woods. Simon looked at Rafe who nodded and took to the air. He would follow his partner and be sure of his safety.

"If she is right, we can’t go to the elves. Henri and Jim would be in to much danger." Blair said.

"I know." The idea of being a circus or zoo animal was horrible but not nearly as horrible as having your free will taken away by a sorceror.

"No elf is putting a saddle on my back." Megan said.

"So what do we do. If the elves are the only ones who can open the portals…" Joel trailed off.

"I think we should face facts. The chances of us returning to our world is very slim. And the danger in attempting to return to great. It exacts a heavy price." Simon answered. The others nodded.

Some hours later, Jim woke up and managed to drink some more water and eat a bit of fish that Simon caught. Blair licked Jim’s wounds clean again, and Jim asked where Henri was. Simon explained about Maria and told Jim what she had said. Jim lowered his head. "This is my fault. If I hadn’t been so bullheaded and followed that thief…"

Blair growled, "And did you drag us with you? Did you throw Simon and I through the portal? No. We went of our own free will. Stop blaming yourself."

"Blair’s right. We followed you. You didn’t force us. And we have no idea how the others got here."

"I have a suspicion that the ones we were in a gun battle with did that, Simon." Joel said.

"You’re probably right."

They were interrupted when Henri and Maria came into the clearing dragging another purple deer. They dragged it close enough for Jim to reach, then they all dug in.

Later, Henri dragged the bones and carcass into the woods for the scavengers to feast, then returned, lapped up some water and laid down to clean his fur. The other laid down except for Megan and Joel who continued to graze. Rafe perched high in a tree to act as a lookout.

Maria helped Blair clean Jim’s wounds again, and she looked them over pleased to see that they were healing well.

When the early morning rays of light descended upon the forest, Henri

Brown opened his eyes slowly, then blinked a few times. Yawning, Henri stretched his front legs, extending his claws, while his jaws opened wide to reveal his imressive teeth. Finishing off the yawn with a vigorous shake of his maned head, Henri got up from where he had slept at the mouth of the den. He peered inside to see the grey wolf sleeping peacefully beside the black panther. Henri breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the jaguar's side move up and down as the big cat breathed. Walking away from eh den, Henri headed over to the pond where Simon was already wading through hoping to catch breakfast.

"Hey Captain." Henri said then lapped up the water with his tongue.

"Brown." Simon acknowledged. "How are you this morning?"

"Just fine. Jim appears to be alright. He's still sleeping. So is Blair."

Simon nodded, "I expect Jim will sleep more as he recovers."

A sound had them turning their heads to see Joel and Megan waking up.

"Where's Rafe?" Henri asked.

"I sent him out to scout around." Simon said.

Henri nodded.

Joel and Megan walked over to the pond to get a morning drink.

"How are you two doing?" Simon asked.

"Alright, I guess. Wishing I was back home sleeping in my nice big bed." Joel answered.

"Same here." Megan said. "Wish I was back in my own damn body too."

At that moment Maria leaped down from her restin place in the tree and padded over to the Major Crimes gang. "Good morning." She said to them.

"Good morning, Maria." Henri answered back.

Maria took a drink of water, then lifted her head to look at Simon. "I am assuming from the way everyone is acting that you are the leader here." She said to Simon.

"I'm the captain, yes." Simon answered.

"Then it is you that I must speak. this place is not safe. you are into yet deep enough into the mountians to truly be safe from the elves, but for a group your size and difference, this place is not safe at all. Eventually, the food supply for your grass eater friends will run out. And predators of your size will over hunt this area."

"What is it you suggest."

"What I would suggest is that you split up, but since I know that will not happen, the next best thing is to go over the mountains into the land beyond it."

"What is beyond htose mountains?" Henri asked.

"Land that is not controlled by the Elves for one. Though they do

occassionally come there, they do not do so in great numbers. A few live in that area. Small families that live in cabins, and rarely see the cities that are west and south of us. But the land is cold. At the base of the mountians on the other side is a forest similiar to this which is probably covered in snow or at the very least cold. It is not winter yet, this is only the beginning of Autumn. Yet this side of the mountains stays seasonly warm, while the other side is usually cold since it is furthur north and at a higher elevation. Beyond the forezt is a tundra with grass and no trees. Half the time its buried in snow, the other half snow patches the ground. But the pastures will feed your grass eater friends. and their will be plenty of herd animals to feed upon. Some not even of our world.

"These elves that live in this area?" Simon asked.

"Do not bother our kind quite as much as the city dwellers do. Occasionaly they will capture those like your grass eater friends for the uses they would bring to their lives. And only a mage would be interested in Henri and Jim. Rafe, Blair, and you would not be of interest to them unless you hunt their herds. They live simple lives in huts, herding thier beast that provide their wool or their clothing."

Simon waded out of the pond and sat down on his haunches. He looked around his gaze passing over Joel and Megan, then looking to Henri.

His thoughts turned to the two still sleeping in the den.

"I think this is a good idea." Simon said. "I won't make any of you come..."

"We follow where you lead Simon." Joel answered for the others.

"We'll wait until Jim is fit to travel, then leave. However, I think I'll send Rafe to scout the area. By the time he gets back, I'm sure we'll be ready to go. And if you don't mind Joel, Rafe can ride on your horns so that he can recover from the long flight."

"No problem there, Simon." Joel said.

"Now that that is settled, I guess we need to turn back to the business of survival. Henri, I'm going to try and fish some more. I guess you'll have to do the hunting till Jim is healthy again."

"No problem, Captain." Henri said. "Coming, Maria?" Henri asked the leopard.

She nodded and the two of them bounded away to be swallowed by the forest.

Rafe came back only about an hour after Maria had spoken to simon about leaving the area. Simon had managed to catch a couple of fish in that time, and he had Rafe eat one of the good sized fish, then rest before he began his scouting flight of the land beyond the mountains.

Rafe agreed, and began his meal. Maria and Henri came back with a young purple deer like beast. By that time Jima nd Blair had exited the den, with Jim limping slightly. The predators feated on the kill while the grass eaters grazed.

When they were done, Henri dragged the remains far from the camp to let the vultures and other scavengers feast.

While they all lain down in the soft grass with Joel and Megan grazing not far from them, Simon told his plan and Maria's suggestion to Rafe, Jima nd Blair who had missed the earlier conversation.

"Its a good idea Simon, but no need to wait..." Jim started but trailed off when Simon gave him ahard look.

"No Jim. The last thing we need is you to aggravate your injuries.

And besides, its best we wait till Rafe can come back form his scouting mission."

Jim bowed his head in agreement properly chastised.

"Since we are all in agreement, then Rafe can begin as soon as he's rested and ready."

Rafe nodded, "That's good. I'll go take a nice short nap. I should be ready to go when I wake up." He flew up to a perch in a nearby tree and promptly fluffed his feathers tucking his head down in his chest and closed his eyes.

The others lounged around in the soft grass. Jim fell asleep almost immediatly with Blair lying by his side awake and alert.

"Henri." Simon said softly. The lion got up and walked over to where the captain sat on his haunches.

"Yeah, Captain."

"I've been smelling something off and on since we got here. If you wouldn't mind hanging here to guard the others, I think I'd like to go see if I can find what I've been smelling."

Henri grinned a lion's grin, "Sure no problem, Captain."

Knowing that the rest of the group was in good hands ere paws, Simon lumbered off into the surrounding woods following his nose.

Within minutes, Simon found exaclty what his nose had told him was out there.

In the hollow of a dead tree the scent of honey wafted to the bear's nose. He saw the bees buzzing aorund the opening, but knew that the stinging would only be slight nuisance to his thick tough grizzly bear hide. The honey would be a welcome treat to everyone. Simon just had to figure out how to get it to them. Short of taking the tree, anyway.

He lumbered over to the tree ignoring the stinging of the bees. It sorta of felt like someone was pinching him, not the stinging feel he would get if he had been in human form.

Digging his nose into the tree carefully, Simon managed to grasp and remove a whole comb that's interior was filled with honey. Some dripped, but the comb was mostly intact and kept the honey from dripping out of its cells. Placing it on the ground, Simon stuck his head back in and took another intact comb out of the tree and set it on top of the other, then took both in his mouth. Simn turned in time to see a large Black Bear standing not far from him no doubt lured there like Simon but the smell of the honey. Not watning to fight and perhaps damage his prizes, Simon set the combs down carefully and stood up to his full intimidating height. The Black Bear was no fool.

Simon outweighed him by nearly four hundred pounds. The Black Bear turned and left the aread backing away from Simon, who chuckled and took the combs back into his mouth and headed back to the camp. He noticed that the Black Bear raided the comb as soon as Simon left the area.

Though there had not been alot of honey within the two combs Simon brought back, it was still a welcome treat to everyone. Each of them got a few generous licks of honey, and a couple of bites of the crunchy comb.

After Rafe got his share, the large golden eagle lifted off and began his scouting trip. He heard Henri's voice bidding him a safe journey.

Rafe flew on the currents, finding only a few thermals that allowed him to rise higher into the sky. Thanks to the winds and currents, Rafe didn't use most of his strength trying to flap to stay aloft.

He looked down upon the world below seeing the majestic mountains and the thick forest. He did not fly far above the mountains, perhaps only a few feet. The air was certainly thinner, but not too thin. His height allowed him to see the pass through the mountains that his land bound group would surely have to take to reach the other side. Though the pass had trees growing along it, as well as the river they had followed, Rafe noticed with some trepidation that that pass was also used by the elves. And in fact a small caravan was making its way through the pass.

The caravan had three wagons being pulled by oxen. Knowing that the oxen had been humans in their world made Rafe shudder. He was glad that the oxen looked in good health and weren't being beaten by the elf drivers. Other elves rode unicorns alongside the wagons, while two of them rode horses. Rafe wondered if it was a good thing or bad thing that the caravan's were heading away from the tundra and toward the forest. He hoped that they did not run across his friends, but did not think they would if they continued along the dirt paved road.

Rafe shudderred again when he saw what one of the wagons held. It was cage made of iron bars and inside a lioness paced back and forth.

Catching a thermal, Rafe rose higher into the sky, and away from the scene below him. The pass had good cover,a nd hopefully their group would be able to travel through it without being discovered. It would help that Rafe would be able to fly and scout for them as they went.

The golden eagle that was Bryan Rafe, folded his wings and lost altitude swooping down closer to the pass now that he was far from the elven travelers. His eyesight told them that his group would have plenty of non-earth game for them to hunt as well as access to water.

Nodding to himself, rafe continued his journey using the winds and currents within the pass to make his way through it.

Riding a thermal, Rafe flew above the pass and exited out the other side to find more old growth forest, not nearly as thick as the one he had just left. And in fact the forest thinned much more quickly and gave way to a rocky plain, that eventually gave way to a sea of grass and snow and water. Herds of caribou waded through the thick rushes, eating the stalks and drinking the water. A horse herd grazed not far from them on dry land, a white stallion standing watch over the herd. Rafe's eagle eyes saw the pride of lions led by three strong healthy males, and the family of cheetas staying far from the pride. Hyenas, meerkats, warthogs, giraffes, elephants, elk, antelope, deer, unicorns, purple deer and light blue furred elk like creatures all lived upon the large tundra that seemed to go on and on forever.

The sight of smoke had Rafe investigating to find huts made of wood, mud and grasses sitting in a circular pattern surrounded by a wooden fence. Outside the fence the land had been replanted. Instead of the grass, the ground supported corn stalks, and wheat. Along the wet marshland not far from them grew rice.

Elves dressed in clothing made of wool no doubt gotten from the sheep like creatures that were grazing under the watchful eyes of elf riders on unicorns were moving amongst the huts. Women and children mostly. The few males appeared to be working out in the fields tending the crops or on guard on the perimeter. Riders on unicorns chased away grazing animals that did not belong to them, and the guards were not doubt on the look out for predators.

Rafe saw a few earth animals among the huts. Dogs mostly. A few horses tied to posts, and a few cows in pens made for them. Amongst the sheeplike creatures were real sheep and goats.

What frightened Rafe the most was the sight of the cheetah lying outside one of the huts that had what looked like charms on the hut itself. The cheetah was grooming its immaculate fur, and looked well

fed. The sight of the leather collar around its neck made Rafe flap

far up into the sky trying to get away from the sight.

Gaining altitude allowed him to see more. Several miles from the first village was another village.

Rafe, figuring he'd seen all he needed to see, turned and headed back. He stopped in the forest when night began to fall, and roosted in the safety of a tree.

 

END PART 3