Title: Through My Eyes: Naomi’s Story

Author: Angela

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim/Blair, Simon/Rafe, implied

Rating: PG

Challenge:

Status: Complete

Archive: WWOMB

Feedback: Yes

Email Address: ladybug74873@hotmail.com

Series/Sequel: if you want any

Disclaimers: They aren’t mine. Petfly and UPN own them

Summary: A look at Jim and Blair through Naomi’s eyes

Warnings: none that I know of

Notes: I liked this title and type of story with my Mutant X fic that I wrote. I thought I could make a multi fandom series out of it and within that fandom write about the two main characters i.e.: Jim and Blair through their friends and/or family’s eyes. Anyone is welcome to use the concept if they want

Note:

Further Disclaimer: none



Through My Eyes: Naomi’s Story
by Angela

I showed up a few days before Halloween. I wanted to see my grandson’s first Halloween. Blair had emailed me to tell me that they had two costumes picked out for him and that they wanted my opinion. I thought that was a big hint to come to Cascade. Turns out all Blair wanted me to do was look at the pictures of Sean in costume that he had sent.

Well, I can’t miss this. I am a grandmother. I am supposed to be around for my grandchild. Especially for this special little one. I smile down at the big blue eyes shining up at me. I pick Sean up and put him in my lap. I hear the door and look up to see my son and son-in-law come through the door. They are arguing again. Blair said they were just having a long debate. Me? Do I believe that? I don’t think so. I just smiled and let it go. Both men come up to me and give me a peck on the cheek. Jim picks up Sean and goes towards the kitchen to start dinner. Blair says that Jim is trying to teach their son some cooking. I had to chuckle at that. Blair joins his husband and son. I start to watch the two men.

When I first met Jim I wasn’t too sure about him. I thought he wasn’t right for Blair. But behind the façade that he put up was a different kind of man. I saw Jim, the man, for the first time after helping him and Blair with their case against the car burglars. I smile in memory. I was so worried that Blair would get hurt. But Blair trusted that Jim would keep him safe. Jim did just that. I learned then that Jim cared for my son and not just as a friend. Jim is such a wonder. He is not the hard man that I have heard about. I see soft lines around his face.

I see in Jim’s face many of life’s lessons. He has gone through so much. Blair has told me the stories. I can see why Captain Banks has said that Jim is a changed man. But did anyone really know the true Jim Ellison before Blair came along. I saw many times while watching the two together the love, compassion, passion and joy that is Jim Ellison. People don’t see that. They don’t dig deep enough. He has been hurt by so many people. But he has been shown by my son that that is part of life. You have to take the good with the bad.

I look some more at Jim. He is a very handsome man. He has successfully sent every woman that has come around packing. And as I look at my son I can see why. My eyebrow rises as Blair’s hand sneaks a feel of Jim’s most sensitive area. Blair probably thinks I am not watching. Won’t he be surprised?

I can’t understand why Carolyn let him go. Jim is such a giving man. I have in the few times I have visited seen Jim go above and beyond what was expected of him. There was a recent case the boys were on that he had taken to heart. He wanted nothing more than to give a family closure after the murder of their daughter. And being persistent Jim gave them that closure. I came to visit not to long after that. He looked drained. Cases like that take a lot out of Jim. Jim is laughing. I have heard Jim’s laughter a lot lately. It would take a lot for him to laugh out loud. Jim has a sense of humor. He can tell jokes and funny stories with the best of them. He is talented. I have seen what he can do. I have tried to encourage him to take it places but Jim just smiles. That’s Jim. He doesn’t want accolades. He is uncomfortable with them. With Blair, you would have thought he would become more comfortable with compliments. I chuckle and Jim looks at me. He smiles. I smile back.

And then there is the reason Jim is so happy. My son, Blair. Blair is so intelligent. He is so wonderful. He is unselfish. Unlike me. I have tried to be selfless like Blair. Sometimes it works. I need to work on it some more. I smile at my son. His curly head is cocked to the side so that he can look up at Jim. He is being sly, my son. He is up to something. I don’t want to know. That is so like Blair. He is his happiest when he is with Jim. Jim complements him. They are now whole. They are one person at times. Blair still insists on helping Jim although he has work at the University. That’s Blair.

I have never known Blair not to help anyone out. He is great at that. Blair has a soft heart. He is sensitive about everything. He takes everything to heart. I think that is one of the reasons that Jim is so protective of Blair and the other because my son is his Guide. Blair is well Blair. I don’t know how to effectively describe him. Of course, he is beautiful. I’m his mother I am allowed to be biased. I smile at the three "boys" before me. They are beautiful together.

Blair is the center of Jim’s world. He makes Jim happy. My son is that way. Blair is go good to everyone. He sees good in everyone. He hates to see any bad. But I know he has seen the worst of people when he has been out with Jim. Blair is a person who learns and teaches. He soaks up all kinds of knowledge. I was told by Jim or Captain Banks that Blair has helped them numerous times with his vast knowledge. Blair loves to teach even in the most extraordinary times. He loves to explore or to be challenged. I can’t not remember when Blair hasn’t explored some obscure tribe or mountain or jungle. He is so full of questions. That is Blair. He is full of so many questions. When he was younger I could not get him to quit asking so many questions. I am grateful for that now. I can see that he was just trying to learn about the world around him. He did live in an adult world so he wanted to know about that world.

I hear laughter from the kitchen and get up to see what is going on. I look to see Sean with chocolate ice cream all over him and the boys laughing. Sean does look funny. I join in their laughter.

"Let me get my camera."

The boys can’t say anything they are laughing so hard. I run and get my camera and snap a picture of my grandson. He is so cute. He is one of the best things that has happened to both Jim and Blair especially Jim. Jim has someone else to take care of him besides Blair. That’s something else my son does. He takes care of people. He likes to. I wonder why he didn’t become a doctor or some such thing. But that wouldn’t be Blair though. I can’t see Blair doing anything else but teaching. He loves that. He loves to share his experiences, knowledge, life, love, and anything else with everyone.

I clean up Sean while Jim and Blair get themselves together. I smile at them and take the toddler into the living room. I am still smiling when they come in after me.

"All right, boys, show me the costumes and let’s decide what this boy is going to be."

They look at me for a moment and then rush to get the costumes. After that we sit for chocolate and fun. Jim and Blair take an exhausted Sean into his room. I peek over the back of the couch through the open door to what once was Blair’s room. Jim has put the baby in his bed and is leaning over for a kiss. Blair is leaning into Jim so that he can be closer to both his husband and son. Blair’s hand snakes around the muscular arm that is blocking him to tickle Sean. I turn back to let them have more privacy. After a few moments I hear footsteps. Blair has come back into the living room.

"Having a nice time, Mom."

"Yes, dear. It’s nice to see you, Jim and the baby."

"I’m glad."

I smile at him. Jim comes into the room and sits next to Blair. I watch as he takes my son into his arms and holds him there. Jim smiles at me and I smile back. He is wonderful. I make noises about bed and go into Sean’s room to the Aero bed they have set up for me. As I turn to say goodnight, I see Jim lean into Blair and gently kiss him. Blair returns the kiss and they rest their foreheads together. They stay that way for a few minutes and then head off to bed themselves.

I give a small wave goodnight. They return it and go upstairs.

I smile a happy smile and send up wishes for Jim and Blair to stay together. I also wish for them to be happy and healthy.

And one more thing. They need to get a house.


The end.