Title: Through My Eyes: Henri’s Story

Author: Angela

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim/Blair, Simon/Rafe, implied

Rating: PG

Challenge:

Status: Complete

Archive: WWOMB

Feedback: Yes

Email Address: ladybug74873@hotmail.com

Series/Sequel: if you want any

Disclaimers: They aren’t mine. Petfly and UPN own them

Summary: A look at Jim and Blair through Henri’s eyes

Warnings: none that I know of

Notes: I liked this title and type of story with my Mutant X fic that I wrote. I thought I could make a multi fandom series out of it and within that fandom write about the two main characters i.e.: Jim and Blair through their friends and/or family’s eyes. Anyone is welcome to use the concept if they want

Note: Thanks to Patt for the great compliment and giving me a little encouragement to write the next installment.

Further Disclaimer: none


Through My Eyes: Henri’s story
by Angela

Poker night ant it’s Jim and Blair’s night to host. And I am early. I like to people watch. I suppose that’s why I like to be a detective. It’s people watching. I sit here on the couch watching a ex military Army Ranger and his bouncy partner get ready. I offered to help but Jim just shooed me out of the kitchen with a beer. It’s great being me.

I am watching the two as they go about preparing all the dishes that are going to be consumed during the course of the poker game. And we all complain that we have to undo our belts because we eat too much. Jim says that we say that every time we have a game.

I look up to see my best friend throw his head back in laughter at something Blair has said. I like hearing that. I have known Jim since before our academy days. I meet him a little after he came home from Peru. He was a man that was left with nothing. I guess you could say his soul was no longer there. Jim used to tell me he left everything about himself back in Peru. I never understood that. Not until Blair explained it to me one day. It wasn’t to long after I had met Hairboy. He explained that Jim had left a part of himself behind in the jungle. He couldn’t save his team but he saved himself to bury the team later. I still look at the man before me. He is so changed. In my days as a beat cop I used to think Jim could do no wrong. I saw the chip, the emotions, and the distance. He was running on empty at some point. That and he needed and wanted to be accepted for who and what he was. It took Blair to show him that everyone did and that he needed to learn to let everyone in.

Jim’s Vice days led him down a course of destruction. I hated to see him like that. It seemed that he didn’t care. In a way he didn’t. It took Jack Pendagrass to show him to let the chip on his shoulder go a little. He did but after Jack disappeared it was right back. And then there was Carolyn. Like Simon I thought that was a big mistake. Carolyn wasn’t for Jim and Jim wasn’t for her.

And then came Blair Sandburg. Jim changed. He let his guard down. He let people in and he let people see the real Jim Ellison. He let people see that he was compassionate, caring, loving, gentle, kind, and a few other adjectives I can think of. The change wasn’t quick but gradual. Every now and then the old Jim would slip back. I think that happened when someone or thing hurt him. He had to put up the façade. The one that would not let people near him or get into his heart. And the Blair would come along and break down those walls. We (Major Crimes) were most appreciative of that fact. We wanted Jim to live. And boy did that ever happen. I have not seen Jim laugh and joke around as much as when Blair came into his life. It was like Jim found the other half of his soul. Jim one night not to long after he and Blair stopped dancing around each other told me he felt complete. He also said that he never felt like that with Carolyn. I had to agree. I saw what it had done to him. It’s so unlike Jim. He is starting a food fight with Blair which he would have never done before. They were giggling and laughing like two little boys.

I shake my head at the two of them. Jim sticks his tongue out at me. He would never would have done that either. I stared at him in surprise and he just smiled. He is more relaxed and is living life. Who woulda thought that Jim Ellison could have love and live. Me? I wasn’t one of the naysayers. I supported Jim through everything.

And then there is the bouncy curly headed guy who loves and adores one Jim Ellison. Blair looks at Jim with such love in his eyes. Its like there is now one else in the room when Blair looks at Jim. Blair, what can you say? Knowledgeable, intelligent, handsome (to both men and women), charismatic, compassionate, and passionate. That is Blair. Well, maybe a part of him. Blair isn’t one-dimensional. He is three-dimensional. He shows many sides to himself to everyone. The side I like is the one that has brought Jim out of his shell. Blair showed the detective how to live, experience, to love, to not take life for granted. I think the biggest thing was was to learn from others as well as yourself. And Jim has taken that to heart. He listens better now than he did before Blair came along. But he still tends to tune out people once in a while. But that’s Jim. You gotta love him, man.

I’ve never known Blair to do anything half way. He usually gets into something with all of him and goes after whatever he wants. I’ve never seen Blair drop any project just because he didn’t feel like doing it anymore. That’s not Blair. He puts his whole heart into whatever he is doing. Especially Jim. I know too much information. But Blair thinks we in Major Crimes don’t see what’s going on. We do and we are grateful to Blair for doing what he has been doing. Blair is a great teacher, too. I have never seen him get so much into something as I have him get into as he does when he talks about anthropology. And boy does he know everything about that subject. He even is going to get his criminal justice degree. We are pretty proud of him for that. Blair said he wanted to combine his two favorite subjects. I wonder how you do that with one of them being Jim Ellison.

And there is the two of them combined. They make a great team. You don’t know where one begins and the other one ends. They finish each other’s sentences. They are in sync with each other. I like to watch Jim and Blair together. They are perfect. They make each other happy. They are each other’s joy and happiness. I can’t get over that through all the hurt, betrayal, and bumps in the road they have stayed together. It happened though. They make great fathers. Seeing them with their little boy is a wonder. Their parenting styles don’t differ much but I would say that Jim spoils Sean more than Blair does.

I must have chuckled out loud because they were looking at me oddly. I just smiled and played dumb. It doesn’t last long with our favorite Sentinel. Jim shakes his head and goes back to the kitchen. Blair just stares a little more and then gesture towards my empty beer. I nod yes and he goes to get me another one.

My godson has toddled out of his room and up to me. I hold out my arms to him and he readily comes into them. I pick him up and cuddle him in my lap. Blair returns with my drink and shakes his finger at Sean. The little boy just laughs at his poppy. I have to laugh to. Blair really doesn’t mean it and picks his son up and goes towards the kitchen. I follow a few minutes later to find Sean in Jim’s arms and Blair looking up at the two. It’s a Kodak moment.

Jim is looking at Sean laughing at the giggling boy and Blair is smiling up at his husband and son. Blair has his arm around Jim’s waist and the arm that’s not around my godson is around Blair. I sigh. I go get my camera because I wan to capture this moment. I return and capture this picture. This little part of heaven is sitting right here in a kitchen in Cascade, Washington.

Jim cocks his head and I know that some of the others are arriving. He is giving me that smile. The smile that tells me I will open the door. I go to open the door to the rest of Major Crimes.

"Hey, H." Rafe says.

"Hey, partner. Heard you’re pregnant."

Rafe rolls his eyes and behind him Jim and Blair are laughing. That’s the good thing. Jim and Blair laughing, loving, supporting, and sharing with friends.


Then end