The Newcomers II

by Ronnee

Warning: Original characters... not marysues either! Also, some very tongue-in-cheek humour.

Notes: This idea came about because I personally feel that the Major Crimes dept is seriously understaffed. Have you ever noticed how much crime there is in Cascade? How much the guys have to scramble from fic to fic to save the city? Ever wondered how on earth the city can afford the overtime? Well, this is my solution to the problem. ;-) A whole new shift to keep an eye on the city while Jim, Blair, Rafe, Henri, Joel and Megan get to rest and play. Nope, I don't plan on these folks being anything more than a word here or there, a helping hand here or there...

extras in the Bullpen when need. You know, the 'crowd' in the crowd scene. But first I figured I needed to introduce them to you. After all, it's rude not to introduce the new folks in the universe, or so I've been told.

Oh, yeah... everyone wondered about Blair's vengeance (Never Tick off the Guide) well, it's finally coming due... on the heads of the people who ticked him off. ;-) But we all know Blair plays nice.... most of the time.

Time setting: About halfway through season 3 (somewhere after Vendetta and before Breaking Ground)

Special Thanks to Wolfshy for Detective Felicia Jean Sanders.

 

THE NEWCOMERS 2

By Ronnee
####

"All I'm saying, bro," Detective Henri Brown was speaking very earnestly to his partner, "is that you need to get out more. Mom and Pop have been worried about you. You haven't had a date since you broke up with Jenny."

"H, this is getting ridiculous." Brian Rafe rolled his eyes at his partner's antics. The two men got along very well, except when Henri and his family decided it was time to play matchmaker again. "We've been too busy for me to be out scoping a date. Besides, I've been flying Sherri out to see her mom every chance I get."

Henri had to look away at that comment. With Sherri's mom recovering from surgery, Rafe had volunteered to fly Brown's wife and son up to Seacouver whenever he got a day free from the station. That didn't leave much free time to the younger detective. "I can afford to get --"

"No, H." Rafe interrupted the other man's apology and offer to make other arrangements. "That's not the point and you know it. Just... drop the matchmaking. Okay?"

Reluctantly, Henri conceeded. As he nodded he glanced up, just in time to see the bullpen doors open. A well-dressed young woman gracefully entered the bullpen and it was all he could do to keep from nudging his partner. She was perfect and Henri knew that God was answering his mother's prayers... her 'other' son might just start providing her with more grandchildren. He pulled out his mental scorecard, a smile spreading happily across his face. The woman was not too tall, not too short... tall enough to handle his partner. Her shoulder-length brown hair shone, indicating she was healthy and took care of herself. Hmm, red highlights shimmered in the bright flourescent light, he'd have to warn off Ellison AND Sandburg -- he'd seen her first and was claiming her for his partner. After a quick glance around the room, the woman headed towards the two detectives and Brown noted the grace and economy of her movements... yep, a perfect match for his partner.

"Hi! Ah'm supposed to be meetin' Captain Banks," the woman's soft Texas drawl and warm, sexy voice clinched it in Brown's mind. He smiled at her, a quick glance at her left hand confirming there were no rings on it. "Do you happen to know where I might find him?"

"He's in a meeting with the Commisioner at the moment, miss." Henri answered her. "I'm Detective Henri Brown and this is my partner, Brian Rafe. Is there something we can do to assist you?"

Henri missed the slightly embarrassed grin Rafe gave the young woman over his shoulder at his blatant behavior. With a subtle nod, the woman smiled broadly. "Felicia Jean Sanders, detective first class. I've just transferred to Major Crimes from Texas. I believe I'm going to be working with you."

"Glad to meet you." Rafe quickly took over the conversation as his friend shot him a dismayed look. The no fraternization rule just came into affect and that meant he didn't have to fight off his partner's 'help'. "The captain should be here any moment. Would like some coffee?"

"I think I'd like that." Felicia let most of her accent disappear as Rafe motioned for her to come with him. She smiled, bright blue eyes twinkling.

"I apologize for my partner. His mom has been on the warpath lately." Rafe explained, leading her away from Brown.

"Is that why he was eying me like a broodmare?"

"Well, Mom has been making comments about the fact that she wants more grandkids." Rafe waited for the woman's knowning grin. He opened the breakroom door, letting her precede him into the room. "He's decided that I need a wife since he has his hands full with the two he has."

"He's gonna have to curb that." Felicia's voice was no nonsence. "I have two older brothers and even they don't get away with stuff like that."

"It won't happen again. I'll take care of it." There was a thin edge of steel in Rafe's voice. Then it softened again. "What do you like in your coffee?"

******************

"Brown?" Simon's voice made the detective wince. "Have you seen a young lady looking for me? I was supposed to meet --"

"Breakroom, getting coffee." Henri answered automatically. He couldn't win. Now his partner wouldn't have the time to get acquainted with Felicia.

"Simon," Rafe's voice made Henri close his eyes. "I'd like you to meet Felicia Jean Sanders. Detective Sanders, this is Captain Simon Banks."

Brown listened to the quiet, polite conversation, forcing himself to finish his paperwork. After a moment or two, Captain Banks and the new detective disappeared into his office. He looked up to see his partner watching him pensively.

"How bad is the damage?"

"Well, H. You treated her like an object. You got her a bit upset." Rafe answered him, voice calm. Too calm. "If you apologize nicely, she won't tell her older brothers."

Henri nodded. He'd expected that from his friend. "Okay, I apologize. What else?"

"I thought you said you were backing out of the matchmaking game."

"Well, let's just say that since the opportunity arose, I couldn't resist." Henri couldn't help smiling at the way Rafe rolled his eyes.

~~~~~~~

(about an hour later)

"What's with the scowl, H?" Blair asked as he approached the detective. He'd been watching the man for a while and his curiosity was getting the better of him.

"It's nothing, Hairboy." Henri answered. Behind him, Rafe began chuckling. "Oh, shut up."

Blair glanced at Rafe's desk, eyebrows raised.

"He's jealous of the captain." Rafe answered, still laughing. "The new detective is a knock-out and my partner here... well, let's say he already put his foot in his mouth with the lady."

"Felicia Jean's here?" Blair began beaming, his eyes lighting up as he began to bounce slightly. "I didn't think she'd be here until next week."

Both Rafe and Brown stared at him in shock.

"You know her?" Henri whispered.

Before Blair could answer, Simon and Felicia Jean stepped out of the office. As soon as she saw Blair, a great big smile flashed across her face.

"You cut your hair! Does Uncle John know?" Blair murmurred to himself as he took a step forward. "I almost didn't recognize you without your hair."

"Me? What happened to yours? I thought the goal was to be able to sit on it?" Felicia responded, ignoring the looks everyone shot them as she threw her arms around Blair. "It's been forever!"

"Chief," Jim quietly interrupted the reunion. "I think Simon wants to introduce the lady."

"Oh." Two voices spoke at the same time and two pair of matched blue eyes looked at each other in embarrassment.

"Detectives," Simon grinned good-naturedly. He'd been as amused by the exchange as his men. "I'd like you to meet the newest addition to our group. Detective Felicia Jean Sanders is coming to us from Texas. She's been a deputy sherrif for the past four years and has enough commendations for her assistance to the Texas State Highway Patrol, the Texas Rangers, the FBI, the DEA, and the Amarillo PD to fit right in with the lot of you." She blushed as Simon described her background.

"Detective Sanders, you already know Blair, Henri, Rafe. The other two men are Detective James Ellison and Captain Joel Taggart. Joel is with the Bomb Squad, but you'll see him here a lot." Simon pointed them out in turn. "The one in the back, is Detective Lance MacArthur."

"Gentlemen," Felicia smiled at them, "please, call me Felicia. Otherwise, my name is a mouthful."

"So, how do you know Blair?" Joel asked the question burning all of the detectives.

"Well, Aunt Naomi left him with us for a year, back when we were... twelve?" She turned to Blair for confirmation. "Does she know you're hanging with cops? It was bad enough when we visited Dad at the Sheriff's office."

"Yes to both." Blair grinned at her.

"Sheriff's office?" Joel asked. He began smiling. "I think this would be a great time to take the new detective to lunch. That way we can get to know each other."

"And dig for the story behind that statement!" Jim added.

Within minutes, everyone was ready to go. As they began to leave, Henri managed to get a chance to speak to Felicia, "Felicia, I --"

"Don't worry about, this time." Felicia wrinkled her nose at him. "Blair warned me about you and your attempts to catch Brian a 'lady'. It was fun to watch you squirm. But the next time you do it and I see... I'll talk to your mother about your behavior. Deal?"

Henri felt slightly dazed. He looked up to see Jim, Blair, and Rafe watching them. He nodded, realizing he'd been set up. He bowed to the situation and smiled his best smile at the lady in front of him. "I accept. How would you like to meet my family? Mom loves new people and my wife would adore you!"

Felicia broke out in delighted laughter at the jovial detective's instant come back. "I think I'd like that."

TO BE CONTINUED IN
PART THREE